Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Muncie in Delaware County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Hemingray Glass Company

 
 
Hemingray Glass Company Marker - Side A image. Click for full size.
By Robert Stahr, September 4, 2011
1. Hemingray Glass Company Marker - Side A
Inscription.
Side A
Founded as Gray & Hemingray in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1848. Incorporated 1870 in Covington, Kentucky; company produced glass bottles, jars, oil lamps, light globes, tableware and insulators. After discovery of natural gas in east-central Indiana, Hemingray Glass Co. located factory here, 1888, and contributed to significant industrial growth of Muncie and state.

Side B
By 1900, Hemingray had become a world leader of glass insulator manufacturing. Insulators were integral for operation of telegraph, telephone, and electric lines in U.S. and abroad, including in World Wars 1 and 2. In 1933, Owens-Illinois Glass Co. purchased the company; Hemingray insulators remained a major product until 1967. Plant here closed in 1972.
 
Erected 2011 by Indiana Historical Bureau and National Insulator Association. (Marker Number 18.2011.1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
 
Location. 40° 10.835′ N, 85° 22.059′ W. Marker is in Muncie, Indiana, in Delaware County. Marker is on Macedonia Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. The marker is locted between the

Hemingray Glass Company Marker - Side B image. Click for full size.
By Robert Stahr, September 4, 2011
2. Hemingray Glass Company Marker - Side B
Hemingray Glass Company office erected in 1927 and the Owens-Illinois Glass Company office building erected ca. 1934. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1620 S. Macedonia Avenue, Muncie IN 47302, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ball Brothers Glass Manufacturing Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shaffer Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); World War I War Memorial (approx. 3.9 miles away); First Indiana Gas Well (approx. 11.2 miles away).
 
Categories. CommunicationsIndustry & CommerceWar, World IWar, World II
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Robert Stahr of West Chicago, Illinois. This page has been viewed 1,842 times since then and 65 times this year. Last updated on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Robert Stahr of West Chicago, Illinois. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement