HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Hackensack in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Bergen County Court House / Bergen County Old Jail
 
Bergen County Court House Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, March 30, 2008
1. Bergen County Court House Marker
 
Inscription. [Bergen County Court House Side]:
James Riely Gordon (1863–1937), noted architect of public buildings used the Beaux Arts style to reflect the power and dignity of American institutions of government and justice. Ground was broken November 29, 1909 and the cornerstone laid on July 6, 1910. On February 1912 the building was completed at a cost of $1,617,000. The original design had space for County government and State and County courts. This is the fifth courthouse to stand in Hackensack since becoming the County Seat in 1710. This Classical granite and marble building with its dome modeled on the U.S. Capitol also incorporated other art forms—painting, sculpture and stained glass. On top of the dome’s cupola is the statue Enlightenment Giving Power by John Gelert. The marble statues on the walls flanking the main steps represent History and Law.

[Bergen County Old Jail Side]:
Architect James Riely Gordon designed the jail in the fortified Medieval Revival style. This style of architecture incorporates fortress-like elements such as turrets, parapets and slit windows related to imprisonment in ancient castles and dungeons. The building’s cross-shaped plan has wings radiating out from a central octagonal tower surmounted by a domed skylight filled with decorative glass.
 
Bergen County Old Jail Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin
2. Bergen County Old Jail Marker
 
This tower, used for ventilation, allowed for a few guards to oversee many prisoners held in the detention cells. The cells were the latest prefabricated design with locking devices and other control mechanisms. The east wing was devoted to the Sheriff’s residence. Constructed simultaneously with the Court House, the jail was completed in 1912 at a cost of $250,000. It was decommissioned as an active jail in 1993.
 
Erected 2006 by the County of Bergen.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 40° 52.735′ N, 74° 2.602′ W. Marker is in Hackensack, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street and Moore Street, on the right when traveling east on Court Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hackensack NJ 07601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brigadier General Enoch Poor (a few steps from this marker); Gen. Enoch Poor (a few steps from this marker); The Huguenots (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic First Reformed Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Hackensack Soldier and Sailor Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Grave of Gen. Enoch Poor (within shouting distance of this marker); The Green (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the Court-House & Jail (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Hackensack.
 
Bergen County Court House and Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, March 31, 2008
3. Bergen County Court House and Marker
 
 
Old Jail Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin
4. Old Jail Marker
The marker for the Bergen County Old Jail is near the Historic First Reformed Church.
 
 
Site of the Original Court House and Jail Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, March 30, 2008
5. Site of the Original Court House and Jail
On the Green across from the present Court House is the site of the original Court House, which was burned by the British in 1780. The original Jail was located near the original Court House.
 
 
Site of the Original Court House and Jail Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, March 30, 2008
6. Site of the Original Court House and Jail
The original Court House and Jail were located on what today is the Hackensack Green.
 
 
Statue on Court House Steps Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, April 19, 2008
7. Statue on Court House Steps
This statue on the east side of the Bergen County Court House steps represents History.
 
 
Statue on Court House Steps Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, April 19, 2008
8. Statue on Court House Steps
This statue on the west side of the Bergen County Court House steps represents Law.
 
 
Dome Statue Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, April 19, 2008
9. Dome Statue
The statue of Enlightenment Giving Power, by John Gelert, sits on the top of the Bergen County Court House dome.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 3,649 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 3, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   7, 8, 9. submitted on April 20, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 209 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.