Inscription. Origin of the Pinta Trail is attributed to nomadic Plains Indian tribes. Early Spanish and Mexican expeditions followed the general route of the trail, which extended from San Antonio de Bexar to the San Saba River near present Menard. A survey by German immigrants in 1845 provided a wagon road over part of the trail, and, after the discovery of gold in California in 1849, the trail was utilized by U.S. Military companies seeking new routes to the western states. Use of the trail declined with the advent of railroads in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986.
By Steve Gustafson, June 14, 2008
|1. Pinta Trail Marker|
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10096.)
Location. 30° 13.524′ N, 98° 48.569′ W. Marker is near Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker is on U.S. 290, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Located in a rest area 5.2 miles east of Fredericksburg. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Site of Fort Martin Scott (approx. 2.8 miles away); Luckenbach (approx. 4.5 miles away); Walch Home (approx. 4.7 miles away); Nimitz Hotel (approx. 4.7 miles away); Fairwater of USS Pintado (SS-387) (approx. 4.8 miles away); Lower South Grape Creek School (approx. 4.9 miles away); Domino Parlor (approx. 4.9 miles away); Bethany Lutheran Church (approx. 5.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Also see . . . Historical marker for San Saba Presidio. The terminus of the Pinta Trail was the San Saba Mission and Presidio, both on the San Saba River in what is now Menard, Texas. (Submitted on October 11, 2013, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on March 21, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 595 times since then. Last updated on October 11, 2013, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photo 1. submitted on March 21, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |