Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pinewood in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Millford Plantation

 
 
Millford Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 17, 2013
1. Millford Plantation Marker
Inscription.
(Front text)
Millford, 1mile west, is the finest Greek Revival house in S.C. and one of the finest in America. It was built from 1839 to 1841 for John Laurence Manning (1816-1889), a planter, state legislator, and governor 1852-54, and his wife Susan Hampton Manning, a daughter of Gen. Wade Hampton I. Some contemporaries who thought it extravagant called the mansion "Manning's Folly."

(Reverse text)
The three-story, stucco-over-brick house features a massive portico with six fluted Corinthian columns. Noted interior features include a dome and oculus over a circular stair, and double parlors. Many elaborate interior finishes are designs from Minard Lafever's Beauties of Modern Architecture (1835). Millford was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1973.
 
Erected 2012 by The Classical American Homes Preservation Trust. (Marker Number 43-45.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
 
Location. 33° 44.883′ N, 80° 30.731′ W. Marker is in Pinewood, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is on Camp Mac Boykin Road (County Road 51) near St Marks Church Road, on the left when
Millford Plantation Marker, reverse side image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 17, 2013
2. Millford Plantation Marker, reverse side
traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pinewood SC 29125, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Richard Richardson (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Mark's Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. David Dubose Gaillard (approx. 1.4 miles away); Site of Manchester (approx. 6.3 miles away); Encounter at Halfway Swamp / Site of Original St. Mark's Church (approx. 6.5 miles away); Halfway Swamp: (approx. 6.8 miles away); Enon Baptist Church (approx. 7.3 miles away); Congaree River Ferries (approx. 7.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pinewood.
 
Regarding Millford Plantation. National Register of Historic Places:
Millford Plantation (added 1971 - - #71000808)
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown
♦ Architectural Style: Greek Revival
♦ Area of Significance: Architecture, Politics/Government
♦ Period of Significance: 1825-1849
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Domestic
(Gov. John L. Manning House; Millford) Symbolic of the rural community life that flourished before the
Civil War,
Millford Plantation Marker seen looking north on Camp Mac Boykin Road, at St Marks Church Road image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 17, 2013
3. Millford Plantation Marker seen looking north on Camp Mac Boykin Road, at St Marks Church Road
Milford, ca. 1839, is considered one of the most outstanding Greek Revival plantation homes in the South. Having escaped being burned by General W. T. Sherman’s troops, it remains a museum piece of the traditional antebellum south. The Mannings, the original family owners, contributed many governors to the State of South Carolina and were leaders in the politics and society of the area. When first built, it earned the title of “Manning’s Folly” since its location was so remote and the details so elaborate. The façade has six magnificent carved columns on granite bases that support a classical portico with a parapet adorned with a Greek motif. The walls of Milford, two feet thick, are of handmade brick fired on the place, but the granite came by boat from Rhode Island, and much of the marble as well as the carving and ornamentation came from abroad. One of the most striking features of the interior is the rear rotunda that features an art-glass eye, framed by elaborate carving, on the ceiling and an imposing, unsupported, flying, circular stair. Milford’s builder was Nathaniel F. Potter of Rhode Island.
While Potter may have designed the building as well, the architect is unknown. The property also includes contributing guesthouses/dependencies, a ca. 1850 stable and water tower (bell tower), and a spring house. Listed in the National Register November 19, 1971;
Millford Plantation Marker, looking south along Camp Mac Boykin Road (CR 51) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 17, 2013
4. Millford Plantation Marker, looking south along Camp Mac Boykin Road (CR 51)
Designated a National Historic Landmark November 11, 1973.
(National Register Properties in South Carolina)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Millford Plantation escaped being burned by General W. T. Sherman’s troops, image. Click for full size.
By Jack E. Boucher, circa 1960
5. Millford Plantation escaped being burned by General W. T. Sherman’s troops,
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division HABS SC,43-PINWO.V,1--2

Millford Plantation image. Click for full size.
By Brian Cary, `
6. Millford Plantation
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division, HABS SC,43-PINWO.V,1--22 (CT)
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 522 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement