Inscription. Although the United States banned the Transatlantic Slave Trade in 1808, a domestic trade from the Upper South to the emerging cotton-growing regions of the Deep South thrived until the 1860's. Baltimore-based dealers supplied the trade, operating slave pens at the Inner Harbor, on Fell's Point, and across the city, including near this location. Between 1808 and the abolition of slavery in Maryland in 1864, an estimated thirty thousand people were "sold South" from Baltimore.
By Chris Nelson, June 26, 2010
|1. Baltimore Slave Trade Marker|
Erected by Maryland Historical Trust, Maryland State Highway Administration.
Location. 39° 17.235′ N, 76° 36.218′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of East Pratt Street and President Street, on the left when traveling east on East Pratt Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 830 E. Pratt St, Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Flag House and Star-Spangled Banner Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Baltimore Riot Trail (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Baltimore Riot Trail (about 600 feet away); Heritage Walk (about 600 feet away); Carroll Mansion (about 600 feet away); St. Leo The Great Church (about 800 feet away); Exodus 1947: "The ship That Launched a Nation" (about 800 feet away); Water Power: Baltimore's Economic Engine (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Baltimore.
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2010, by Chris Nelson of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,550 times since then. Last updated on February 22, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photo 1. submitted on October 11, 2010, by Chris Nelson of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |