Inscription. In 1873, George and Harriet (Standefer) Cluck purchased a large amount of land in this area, which they found to be rich in cedar trees and limestone. Their ranch and home became the central point around which the Cedar Park community developed.
By Keith Peterson
|1. Cedar Park Marker|
A post office was established in 1874 and was named Running Brushy. Harriet Cluck served as an early postmistress. When the railroad came through Running Brushy in 1882, the community’s name was changed to Bruggerhoff to honor a railroad official. Five years later, the current name was adopted.
Cedar Park was the scene of much growth and activity during the latter years of the nineteenth century. A community school and church building was constructed, and by 1892, a landscaped park had appeared along the rail line. George Cluck noticed the increasing popularity of barbed wire and opened a cedar yard in which he made and sold cedar posts.
Cedar Park did not see much growth during the first part of the twentieth century, and by 1960 nearly all traces of the earlier community had disappeared. During the 1970s, however, the growth of Austin led to a population increase in this area, also, and the city of Cedar Park was incorporated in 1973.
Erected 1985 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9040.)
Location. 30° 31.176′ N, 97° 49.451′ W. Marker is in Cedar Park, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on Discovery Boulevard. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 550 Discovery Boulevard, Cedar Park TX 78613, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cedar Park Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away); New Hope First Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Site of a Block House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Granite for the State Capitol (approx. 2.6 miles away); Wilson-Leonard Brushy Creek Burial Site (approx. 3.4 miles away); Norton Moses Lodge No. 336, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 3.7 miles away); Cypress School (approx. 3.8 miles away); Champion Cemetery (approx. 4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cedar Park.
Also see . . .
1. Wikepedia: Cedar Park. (Submitted on September 24, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
2. Handbook of Texas: Cedar Park. (Submitted on September 24, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
3. Cedar Park history. Cedar Park history (Submitted on April 22, 2011, by Wayne Ware of Georgetown, Texas.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,087 times since then. Last updated on February 26, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photo 1. submitted on September 24, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |