Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lewiston in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Little Yellow House - 1816

 
 
Little Yellow House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, March 17, 2014
1. Little Yellow House Marker
Affixed to the house.
Inscription. In 1810, the few settlers of the village under the leadership of pioneers Bates Cooke and Benjamin Barton petitioned the state of New York to have this area changed from a public square to building lots for purposes of selling. Benjamin Barton was commissioned by the land office to have it surveyed and presented for approval to the New York legislature. The legislative session of 1815-16 approved the opening of the lands for sale with the following provision: The area included shall become lands of the common schools, and the commissioners of said schools are to sell, maintain and invest the funds derived therefrom, for the support and maintenance of common schools of the Village of Lewiston.

This lot No. 129, Block EE, was the first lot sold by the commissioners of the common schools exactly 16 days from the April 1816 opening of the land sale. Peter B. Porter and Benjamin Barton purchased the land. Barton was one of the builders of the adjacent Frontier House. Shortly after the land sale record revealed that this parcel was sold to David Shockney with the stipulation that within two years he was to erect a building not less that eighteen by twenty feet and fit for habitation of man. In 1818 this parcel was owned by Robert Fleming, Esquire who was first judge of the Common Pleas Court in Niagara County. The house remained
Westward View Little Yellow House image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, March 17, 2014
2. Westward View Little Yellow House
The stone 1824 Frontier House is the next westward building.
in the Fleming family until 1915, when it was sold to Jesse R. Piper. Piper in turn sold to Mr. and Mrs. Guy Antolene in 1920 and it remained in the Antolene family until 1961, when it was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. John Simon. Mr. Simon maintained his law office on these premises until 1995.

In 1999 this parcel was purchased from the Simon family by the Village of Lewiston Board of Trustees for the purpose pf preserving a part of our historical heritage for future generations. There is very little doubt that his structure is one of the oldest standing buildings in the Village of Lewiston today!
 
Location. 43° 10.367′ N, 79° 2.521′ W. Marker is in Lewiston, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is at the intersection of Center Street (New York State Route 18F) and Robert Moses Parkway/NY Route 104 Off Ramp (New York State Route 104), on the right when traveling west on Center Street. Click for map. Center Street (NY 18F) is west of the Robert Moses Parkway. Ridge Road (NY 104) is east of the Robert Moses Parkway on the same tangent. Marker is at or near this postal address: 476 Center Street, Lewiston NY 14092, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kiwanians Promoting Peace (a few steps from this marker); The Long and The Short House
Eastward View Little Yellow House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, March 17, 2014
3. Eastward View Little Yellow House Marker
Column of Frontier House in foreground.
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Cibola Anchor (about 300 feet away); 500 Center Street Archaeological Site (about 300 feet away); Hennepin Park (about 600 feet away); Underground Railroad Station #6 (about 700 feet away); The First Religious Society of Lewiston (about 700 feet away); Kelsey Tavern (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Lewiston.
 
More about this marker. A public (War of 1812) peace garden is behind the Little Yellow House. The vacant stone Frontier House (1824) is adjacent to the Little Yellow House. It has no marker.
 
Also see . . .
1. Historic Lewiston. (Submitted on March 22, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. Frontier House - Wikipedia. The Frontier House, adjacent to the Little Yellow House, hosted a few famous visitors. President William McKinley visited shortly before he was assassinated in Buffalo. McKinley had rode the U.S. portion of The Niagara Gorge Belt Line between Lewiston and Niagara Falls on September 6, 1901. (Reference:
Little Yellow House - 1816 and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, March 17, 2014
4. Little Yellow House - 1816 and Marker
Thompson, Gordon J. ed., The Niagara Gorge Belt Line: A Pictorial Album, Niagara Frontier Chapter, National Railway Historical Society, 2000.) (Submitted on March 22, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.) 

3. The Little Yellow Artisan House. Current business occupying the Little Yellow House. (Submitted on March 22, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.) 

4. Peter B. Porter - Wikipedia. An original purchaser of the lot. (Submitted on March 22, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 323 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement