Georgetown in Georgetown County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Elisha Screven / William Screven
William Screven. In this cemetery is buried William Screven, first pastor of the earliest Baptist church in the South. A native of England, he ministered to the Baptists there before migrating to Maine, establishing a Baptist church in Kettery, Maine, in 1682. By 1698, he had led his church to Charleston, S.C. He later moved to Georgetown exerting his Christian influence until his death in 1713.
Erected 1980 by the First Baptist Church, the City of Georgetown, the Georgetown County Council, and the Georgetown County Chamber of Commerce. (Marker Number 22-28.)
Location. Marker has been confirmed missing. It was likely located near 33° 21.978′ N, 79° 16.842′ W. Marker was in Georgetown, South Carolina, in Georgetown County. Marker was on Prince Street east Click for map. At the Prince Street entrance to the parking lot across the street from the Courthouse, which is on Screven Street. Marker was in this post office area: Georgetown SC 29440, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Screven Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Only Colonial Banking House in America (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgetown County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); South Carolina Champion Oak (about 500 feet away); Sinking Of The USS Harvest Moon (about 600 feet away); Town Clock / Kaminski Building (about 600 feet away); Marquis de Lafayette (about 600 feet away); The Rice Museum (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Georgetown.
Also see . . .
1. Names in South Carolina, Volume 17, Georgetown. “The earliest plan of George Town shows the town extended from Wood Street on the north and Cannon Street on the south (however this street was called Common Street in this first plan of the town). These streets were named with the love of England in mind with a few exceptions. The fourteen streets were advertized in the Gazette in 1734/35. The streets running north and south were all seven blocks long.” (Submitted on May 4, 2008.)
2. Rev. William Screven and the Baptists at Kittery (Submitted on May 4, 2008.)
1. Marker reported missing
According to the SCHM blog this marker is missing. http://schistoricalmarkers.org/2014/04/09/missing-georgetown-markers/
— Submitted May 12, 2014, by David Taylor of Darlington, South Carolina.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Events •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,464 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.