Inscription. The Gingaskin Indian Reservation was located nearby from 1640 to 1813 and was created from a land patent in 1640 that set aside land for the Accomac Indians. When the Accomacs moved there, they became known as the Gingaskins. They continued to practice their traditional economy of farming, hunting, and fishing. By the 1760s, portions of the reservation had been leased to outside groups to help support the Gingaskins, who were suffering from a decreased population and pressures from their white neighbors. The legal termination of the tribe began in 1813, essentially against the Gingaskins' will, when their land was divided into plots and deeded to surviving members.
By Beverly Pfingsten, April 20, 2008
|1. Gingaskin Indian Reservation Marker|
Erected 2000 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number WY 9.)
Location. 37° 21.183′ N, 75° 56.754′ W. Marker is in Eastville, Virginia, in Northampton County. Marker is at the intersection of Alt. US 13 and Willow Oak Road, on the right when traveling north on Alt. US 13. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eastville VA 23347, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Confederate Monument - Eastville, VA (within shouting distance of this marker); Northampton County Court Green (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Debdeavon (within shouting distance of this marker); Home of First Settler (approx. 0.3 miles away); Salem Methodist Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Stratton Manor (approx. 3.1 miles away); Site of Tidewater Institute (approx. 3.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Eastville.
Credits. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,986 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on May 4, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |