Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charlotte Hall in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Charlotte Hall School

 
 
Charlotte Hall School Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Tom Fuchs, March 31, 2007
1. Charlotte Hall School Marker
Inscription. An outgrowth of the “Free Schools” established in Maryland in 1723, founded in 1774 “to provide for the liberal and pious education of the youth of this province, the better to fit them for the discharge of their duties.” Continuously open since 1796.
 
Erected by the Maryland Historic Trust and the Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Location. 38° 28.717′ N, 76° 46.533′ W. Marker is in Charlotte Hall, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker is at the intersection of Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 5) and Charlotte Hall School Road, on the right when traveling south on Three Notch Road. Click for map. It is at the St. Mary’s County Welcome Center. Marker is in this post office area: Charlotte Hall MD 20622, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. No Match for British Might (within shouting distance of this marker); Maryland Begins Here (within shouting distance of this marker); Coole Springs of Saint Marie’s (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rear Admiral Raphael Semmes C.S.N. (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named
Charlotte Hall School Main Gate Photo, Click for full size
By Tom Fuchs, March 31, 2007
2. Charlotte Hall School Main Gate
This gate is on Charlotte Hall Road, which parallels Route 5 one block east. It was the main road through town before the Route 5 bypass was built. Directly across the road is Coole Springs. The plaque on the left repeats this marker’s text, adding “Closed 1976.” The plaque on the right is the Cadet Pierre A. Mourthé Marker.
Charlotte Hall School (about 700 feet away); Cadet Pierre A. Mourthé (about 700 feet away); Maxwell Hall (approx. 4.3 miles away); Solid Ground (approx. 5.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Charlotte Hall.
 
Regarding Charlotte Hall School. Also known as the Charlotte Hall Military Academy, the school closed in 1976, long after this marker was erected. It is now the Charlotte Hall Veterans’ Home. The Veterans’ Home provides assisted living and long-term care for Maryland’s veterans.
 
Also see . . .  Charlotte Hall Veterans Home. (Submitted on April 8, 2007.)
 
Categories. EducationMilitary
 
The White House Photo, Click for full size
By Tom Fuchs, March 31, 2007
3. The White House
This gambrel-roofed 1803 building, restored in 1938, was a dormitory and classroom.
Major Burgee House Photo, Click for full size
By Tom Fuchs, March 31, 2007
4. Major Burgee House
Now the St. Mary’s County Welcome Center, this house was originally built and named for Major Burgee, who became headmaster in 1938. It is staffed weekends year-round and every day in the summer. Stop in to pick up brochures and learn more about Southern Maryland’s tourist and historical attractions.
Dent Chapel Photo, Click for full size
By J. J. Prats, March 31, 2007
5. Dent Chapel
This Victorial Gothic building was erected in 1884 in memory of the Reverend Hatch Dent, first headmaster of the school.
<I>Dent Memorial Chapel, Charlotte Hall Military Academy, Charlotte Hall, Maryland.</i> image, Click for more information
circa 1910
6. Dent Memorial Chapel, Charlotte Hall Military Academy, Charlotte Hall, Maryland.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 5,525 times since then and 259 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.   6. submitted on . • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement