Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Stephens House
—The Battle of Fredericksburg —
Legend holds that Martha Stephens, unlike most local residents, remained in her house throughout the battle. She purportedly made repeated, dangerous trips to her well and tore strips from her own garments to bind the wounds of the fallen. Mrs. Stephens lived until 1888; she is buried in the plot to your left. The house survived the battle but was destroyed by fire in 1913.
Erected by Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park - National Park Service - U.S. Dept. of the Interior.
Location. 38° 17.724′ N, 77° 28.092′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker is on Sunken Road 0.1 miles north of Lafayette Boulevard (Virginia Highway 1), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located on the Sunken Road walking trail, which starts at the Fredericksburg battlefield visitor center. The Sunken Road is closed to vehicle traffic. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas R. R. Cobb (a few steps from this marker); Stephens Family Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); Innis House (a few steps from this marker); The Confederate Line (a few steps from this marker); The Union Attacks Begin (within shouting distance of this marker); Field of Battle (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederates on the Ridge (within shouting distance of this marker); The Killing Fields (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Fredericksburg.
More about this marker. On the right side of the marker is an undated photograph of house.
Also see . . . Sunken Road Tour. National Park Service page detailing the Sunken Road, including the Stephens House.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,040 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on July 12, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.