Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Leesburg in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Loudoun County Courthouse

 
 
Loudoun County Courthouse Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Roger Dean Meyer, August 5, 2006
1. Loudoun County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. The Loudoun County Courthouse, first occupied in 1895, is the third on this site, which was designated for that use on the 1759 plat of Leesburg. On 12 Aug. 1776, the Declaration of Independence was read from the doorway of the first courthouse. The second was built of brick in the Federal style about 1811. The Marquis de Lafayette, on his grand tour of the United States, was entertained here on 9 Aug. 1825. President John Quincy Adams and former president James Monroe, who then lived near Leesburg, escorted him. In 1894, the Norris brothers, of Leesburg, built this courthouse designed by William C. West, of Richmond, in the Classical style.
 
Erected 1995 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number F-28.)
 
Location. 39° 6.93′ N, 77° 33.858′ W. Marker is in Leesburg, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is at the intersection of East Market Street (Business Virginia Route 7) and North King Street (Business U.S. 15), on the right when traveling west on East Market Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Leesburg VA 20176, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Loudoun County Court House Photo, Click for full size
By Roger Dean Meyer, August 5, 2006
2. Loudoun County Court House
At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Loudoun County Court Square (within shouting distance of this marker); 1862 Antietam Campaign (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leesburg (about 600 feet away); Old Stone Church Site (about 700 feet away); Ealry Methodism in Leesburg (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Leesburg.
 
Also see . . .  Loudoun County Virginia History. (Submitted on March 1, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Loudoun County Confederate Memorial in front of the Court House Photo, Click for full size
By Roger Dean Meyer, August 5, 2006
3. Loudoun County Confederate Memorial in front of the Court House
In memory of the Confederate Soldiers of Loudoun County, VA. Erected May 28, 1908.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 2,700 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement