HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Crawfordsville in Montgomery County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Wabash Avenue Presbyterian Church
 
Wabash Avenue Presbyterian Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Al Wolf, July 13, 2008
1. Wabash Avenue Presbyterian Church Marker
Looking North:: on the right is South Washington - - with West Wabash intersection.
 
Inscription. In 1824, Presbyterians worshipped together for the first time in Montgomery County in an unfinished log cabin. Expressing their religious mission through education, Presbyterians founded Wabash College in 1832 and the county's first free preschool program in 1969. The present sanctuary was constructed in 1881, and the education wing was added in 1961. In 2001, this church sponsored the Nation's first rural gun exchange.
 
Erected by Presbyterian Church U. S. A.
 
Location. 40° 2.339′ N, 86° 54.097′ W. Marker is in Crawfordsville, Indiana, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of South Washington Street and West Wabash Avenue, on the right on South Washington Street. Click for map. Marker is in the front of the Church's Education Wing. Marker is in this post office area: Crawfordsville IN 47933, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Crawfordsville (Indiana) Carnegie Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint John's Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cradle of Basketball (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lane Place (approx. 0.2 miles away); Montgomery County's Tribute to her Heroic Dead (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wabash College Students who Served in the Civil War (approx. mile away); Elston Memorial Home (approx. mile away); Otto Schlemmer Building (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Crawfordsville.
 
Wabash Avenue Presbyterian Church, Marker, and Education Wing Photo, Click for full size
By Al Wolf, July 13, 2008
2. Wabash Avenue Presbyterian Church, Marker, and Education Wing
Marker sitting toward the church in front of the large Educational Wing. The street viewed is South Washington Street. West Wabash can be seen slightly just right of the Church.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,314 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 666 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.