Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old St. Paul's

 
 
Old St. Paul's Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck, June 7, 2008
1. Old St. Paul's Marker
The new marker.
Inscription. St. Paul's Church (Episcopal) stands on the only property that has remained under the same ownership since the original survey of Baltimore Town in 1730. In that year, Lot. No. 19, the highest point in the new town, was granted to St. Paul's Parish; nine years later, the city's first public place of worship opened its doors. All Episcopal churches in Baltimore trace their lineage to this parish, which was established in 1692, the first place of worship being in Patapsco Neck.

Three churches have succeeded the original structure on this lot. The fourth and present basilica style church, built in 1856, was designed by Richard Upjohn, the noted architect whose most famous work is the Gothic Trinity Church in New York. A six-story bell tower was part of the original plans for St. Paul's, but was never completed.

Marble reliefs of Moses and Christ, sculpted by Antonio Capellano, ornamented the third church of 1812, which burned in 1854. The plaques were salvaged from the fire and reinstalled on the present church. Among the oldest examples of architectural sculpture in the county, the plaques also escaped Baltimore's Great Fire of 1904.
 
Erected by the City of Baltimore, The Vestry of St. Paul's Parish in Baltimore County, Inc., sponsor and William Donald Schaefer, mayor.
 
Marker series.
Old St. Pauls Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck, February 20, 2008
2. Old St. Pauls Marker
The old marker, which had virtually identical text to the new one.
This marker is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
 
Location. 39° 17.52′ N, 76° 36.911′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of North Charles Street and East Saratoga Street, on the right when traveling north on North Charles Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21201, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles Center & One Charles Center (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mayor Thomas D'Alesandro, Jr. (about 400 feet away); Brown’s Arcade (about 500 feet away); Rectory of Old St. Paul’s Parish (about 600 feet away); Women's Industrial Exchange (about 600 feet away); Cecilius Calvert (about 600 feet away); To Commemorate the Inauguration of a Chemical Industry in America (about 600 feet away); John H. B. Latrobe House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Baltimore.
 
More about this marker. On the left side of the marker is a drawing of "Upjohn's original design." At the bottom of the marker is a "view of the second church on this site."
 
Also see . . .
1. Old St. Paul's Church. (PDF) National Register Nomination Form, B-10. (Submitted on January 20, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Old St. Paul's Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Allen C. Browne, September 5, 2015
3. Old St. Paul's Marker
 

2. Built To Last: Old St. Paul's Episcopal Church. (PDF) Laurie Ossman, HABS. (Submitted on January 20, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable Buildings
 
Old St. Paul's Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck, February 20, 2008
4. Old St. Paul's
Old St. Paul's and the skyscrapers surrounding it. Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 12, 2008
5. Old St. Paul's and the skyscrapers surrounding it.
Old St. Paul's Church Photo, Click for full size
By Allen C. Browne, September 5, 2015
6. Old St. Paul's Church
Moses Holding the Tablets of the Law<br> Bas-relief by Antonio Capellano. Photo, Click for full size
By Allen C. Browne, September 5, 2015
7. Moses Holding the Tablets of the Law
Bas-relief by Antonio Capellano.
“Capellano Fecit”

According to Kelly, Outdoor Sculpture in Baltimore, these sculptures “are thought to be the oldest architectural sculptures in the country.”
Christ Breaking the Bread<br>Bas-relief by Antonio Capellano. Photo, Click for full size
By Allen C. Browne, September 5, 2015
8. Christ Breaking the Bread
Bas-relief by Antonio Capellano.
These relief panels were part of the facade of the 1814 church building designed by Robert Cary Long, Sr. They survived the burning of that building on April 28, 1854. The present Richard Upjohn designed Church was built on the foundations of the 1814 Church in 1854.
The Harrison Carillon<br>Saint Paul's Parish Photo, Click for full size
By Allen C. Browne, September 5, 2015
9. The Harrison Carillon
Saint Paul's Parish

On December 20, 1990
the bells in the north tower of
Saint Paul's Church
were presented to
the Mayor
and
the People of Baltimore
as a gift to the City
through the generosity of
Baltimore Gas and Electric Company
United States Fidelity and Guaranty Company
Mercantile Safe Deposit and Trust Company
Henry and Ruth Blaustein Rosenberg Foundation, Inc.
Ensign C. Markland Kelly, Jr., Memorial Foundation
and
Mr. George T. Harrison

Saint Paul's Parish
Established 1692
Mother Church of Baltimore
Marked by
Fort Garrison Chapter
Colonial Dames XVII Century
1985
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,501 times since then and 413 times this year. Last updated on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.   2. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.   3. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   4. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.   5. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.   6. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement