Inscription. Presbyterian minister, legislator, author of textbooks. Served many churches in Virginia & North Carolina. Home & school ľ mile West.
By Lila Niemann Garner, May 9, 2002
|1. Henry Pattillo Marker|
Erected 1967 by Archives and Highway Departments. (Marker Number G 86.)
Location. 36° 28.084′ N, 78° 33.498′ W. Marker is near Stovall, North Carolina, in Granville County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 15 and Stovall Road (Local Route 1506), on the left when traveling north on U.S. 15. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stovall NC 27582, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. John Penn (approx. 1.6 miles away); Trading Path (approx. 1.8 miles away); Occaneechi Indians (approx. 5.4 miles away in Virginia); Oxford Orphanage (approx. 10.5 miles away); Horner Military School (approx. 10.6 miles away); Natíl Rochester (approx. 10.7 miles away); Harris Meeting House (approx. 10.8 miles away); Oxford Female College (approx. 10.8 miles away).
Regarding Henry Pattillo. The Reverend Henry Pattillo was a native of Scotland. He was licensed to preach by the Presbytery of Hanover, VA. in 1757. He removed to North Carolina, in 1765, was a delegate to the first Provincial Congress of N. C. in 1775, and a zealous promoter of the Revolution.
In 1787, Henry Pattillo, published the first textbook in the state of North Carolina. He described the book, which was circulated throughout the South, as a “geographical catechism” to assist travelers who had no maps. In the book, Pattillo gave a physical description of the land, noting major rivers and passable streams, as well as providing excerpts from his sermons collected throughout his thirty years in the pulpit.
By J. J. Prats, February 10, 2010
|2. Henry Pattillo Marker|
Also see . . . Henry Pattillo, and the churches of Orange and Granville Counties. Chapter XVI of the book Sketches of North Carolina, Historical and Biographical, written by William Henry Foote and originally published in 1846. (Submitted on July 23, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2008, by Lila Niemann Garner of Milford, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 841 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on July 22, 2008, by Lila Niemann Garner of Milford, Nebraska. 2. submitted on February 12, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |