Near Jones Creek in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Located near this site was the Ellerslie Plantation, home of John Greenville McNeel and his family. One of the largest sugar plantations in the area, it consisted of a large home, sugar mill, hospital, overseer's house, and slave quarters. Large entrance gates to the property were topped by carved figures of playing card suits-- heart, spade, club, and diamond.
The two-story plantation home was built of slave-made bricks. The 21-room structure featured front and rear galleries supported by brick columns. The sugar mill, also made of brick, was an immense structure. Hand-made brick was also used to build the hospital and overseer's house, as well as a number of two-room slave cabins.
Following McNeel's death in 1876, the plantation was acquired by a niece, Elizabeth Huntington, and her family. The large home burned in the 1890s, and the family moved into the former hospital. After it was destroyed in the 1900 storm they relocated to the overseer's house. It was destroyed in a 1983 fire. (1989)
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9558.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Freeport TX 77541, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Oakland Plantation (within shouting distance of this marker); Major Reuben R. Brown (approx. 2 miles away); William Joel Bryan (approx. 2 miles away); General Stephen Fuller Austin (approx. 2 miles away); Emily Margaret Brown Austin Bryan Perry (approx. 2 miles away); James Franklin Perry (approx. 2 miles away); Henry William Munson (approx. 2 miles away); Major James Peckham Caldwell (approx. 2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Jones Creek.
More about this marker. This location is better known as McNeel's Plantation near the town of Jones Creek.
Regarding Ellerslie Plantation. Not mentioned but very important, from December of 1863 to March 1864 this was the headquarters of Confederate Major General Magruder. Wilke's Texas Battery, Waul's Texas Legion, and Likens' 35th Texas Cavalry were stationed here, as well as numerous other units during the Civil War.
Categories. • African Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Texmexfla of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 4,966 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Texmexfla of Houston, Texas. 3, 4. submitted on , by Texmexfla of Houston, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on July 31, 2016.