HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fifth New York Light Artillery
Artillery Reserve - Second Volunter Brigade

Army of the Potomac
 
Fifth New York Light Artillery Tablet Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, April 7, 2007
1. Fifth New York Light Artillery Tablet
 
Inscription.
Army of the Potomac
Artillery Reserve
Second Volunteer Brigade
Fifth New York Light Artillery

Six 20 pounder Parrotts
Captain Elijah D. Taft Commanding

July 2 Arrived and halted in park about 10.30 a.m. Moved to the Cemetery at 3.30 p.m. and engaged from 4 p.m. until dark. Four guns South of and facing Baltimore Pike firing on a Confederate battery on Benner's Hill. Two guns firing westwardly.

July 3 Engaged at intervals in same position until 4 p.m. One gun on Baltimore Pike having burst the other three relieved the section firing westwardly. Remained in this position until the close of the battle.

Casualties killed 1 man, wounded 2 men.

Ammunition expended 1114 rounds.
 
Erected by Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
 
Location. 39° 49.218′ N, 77° 13.729′ W. Marker is in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of Baltimore Pike (State Road 97) and Slocum Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Baltimore Pike. Click for map. Located adjacent to the entrance of Evergreen Cemetery, on the east side of Cemetery Hill, Gettysburg National Military Park. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
 
Tablet Between Four 20-pdr Parrott Rifles Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, April 7, 2007
2. Tablet Between Four 20-pdr Parrott Rifles
 
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Second Volunteer Brigade (a few steps from this marker); Battery L, 1st New York Light Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); 4th Ohio Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fifth New York Light Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); Artillery Brigade (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battery B, Fourth U.S. Artillery (about 300 feet away); Major-General Winfield Scott Hancock (about 400 feet away); Fifth New York Independent Battery (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Gettysburg.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Taft's Battery at Gettysburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. 5th Independent Battery. A unit history. The battery served with the Army of the Potomac from the Peninsula Campaign until the summer of 1864. It was transferred to the Shenandoah Valley and served much of the rest of the war there. Interestingly, this unit history cites two killed and two wounded. (Submitted on August 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. Captain Taft's Report. Captain Taft's official report, listed as item number 325 in the Gettysburg portion of the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Taft also cites two men killed in the action at Gettysburg. He also details the loss of 1 spare pole, 1 shovel (long handle), 1 tar bucket, 5 sponges and staves, 4 handspikes, 1 pickaxe, 1 leather water-bucket, 1 gunner's haversack, and 1 tarpaulin. (Submitted on August 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Fifth New York Light Artillery Position Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, April 7, 2007
3. Fifth New York Light Artillery Position
The "east side" position of the battery is represented by four 20-pounder Parrott Rifled cannon. Somewhat erroneous to a degree, three of the pieces are of Confederate manufacture, cast by Tredegar Iron Works, Richmond, Virginia. All three were produced in 1864. The fourth is a reproduction cast well after the war to supplement the original pieces. Two original Federal pieces stand on the north side of the cemetery, marking the position of the "westwardly" section.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,107 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 219 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.