Photographer: Keith L Taken: June 18, 2011 Caption: Plaque by Marker
Additional Description: This window was once part of the Second Fort Crawford located 100 yards north of this spot. The fort was finished in 1832 and was in use by the U.S. Army until 1856.
This was the fort "guard room" window, originally located mid-way in the west line (enlisted quarters) of barracks. Among the prisoners confined behind these bars were the famous Sac chiefs Blackhawk and The Prophet, who were delivered here for surrender to post commander Col. Zachary Taylor on Aug. 27, 1832, by the Winnebago chiefs One-eyed Decori and Chetar, plus lesser chiefs and the few remaining Sac and Fox braves who survived the so-called "Blackhawk War".
Note the hammered copper lettering in the window cap-stone. The artisan and date of this work are not known. Submitted: June 19, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. Database Locator Identification Number: p157820 File Size: 2.248 Megabytes
To see the metadata that may be embedded in this photo, sign in and then return to this page.