Robert Ripley's world-wide syndicated Believe It Or Not! column for July 31, 1935 read: "C. D. Abbott is the first citizen of the U.S.A. He is first alphabetically in Autaugaville, the first town in Autauga, the first county in Alabama, the . . . — Map (db m68839) HM
Created in 1818 by an act of
Alabama Territorial Legislature.
Autauga Indians lived on creek
from which the county takes its name.
Autaugas were members of the Alibamo tribe.
They sent many warriors to resist
Andrew Jackson's invasion in . . . — Map (db m27907) HM
Water has always played a significant role in the history of Prattville. Daniel Pratt chose the location for his new town because of the proximity to Autauga Creek and the Alabama River. This area was referred to as an . . . — Map (db m70815) HM
(Front): Daniel Pratt CemeteryFinal resting place of early Alabama industrialist Daniel Pratt, 1799-1873, and wife Esther Ticknor Pratt, 1803-1875. He was from New Hampshire and she, Connecticut. Married 1827 at Fortville, Jones County, . . . — Map (db m27957) HM
Founder of Prattville
Daniel Pratt, a native of New Hampshire, became an industrialist, statesman and philanthropist in Alabama. He was a Methodist in both heart and practice. He encourage the development of the . . . — Map (db m70813) HM
Located within Daniel Pratt Historic District, this park overlooks Autauga Creek and the manufacturing complex around which this New England style village developed. Daniel Pratt founded Prattville in 1839, and patterned the town after those of his . . . — Map (db m27958) HM
Indian Springs Post Office
Location of considerable Community activity in the early nineteenth-century Autauga County
Thomas Hill House
Site of first Court after Autauga became a County
Union Baptist Meeting House
1830s . . . — Map (db m70798) HM
In 1860, the center of commerce in Baldwin County ran along the rivers with the remainder of the county mostly wilderness. In 1861, with secession declared, the Alabama Legislature allocated funds to finish the stalled Mobile . . . — Map (db m100846) HM
The City of Daphne was incorporated July 8, 1927 with a population of 500. its history, however, dates to a much earlier period. Research and artifacts show that Tensaw, Alabama, Choctaw, Creeks, and Seminole Indians all lived in the this area prior . . . — Map (db m100843) HM
Officially designated “Pleasure Island” in 1949 by Governor Jim Folsom, the 32 miles of white sandy beaches in Gulf Shores has been a prime fishing and golf destination for Alabamians and tourists. Early Alabama Gulf Coast individuals . . . — Map (db m52045) HM
In 1841, Raphael Semmes acquired farmland at the head of this bayou. The new homestead was named Prospect Hill. Several of Semmes’ colleagues from the Pensacola Navy Yard obtained nearby property and established “a very nice colony of nautical . . . — Map (db m71957) HM
Settlement of this area began in the early 1700’s and was expedited by a series of Spanish land grants in the early 1800’s. During the 1819-33 time period a brick factory along the south river bank supplied brick for . . . — Map (db m66271) HM
The property where the cemetery is located was part of a Spanish Land Grant issued to the Suarez family prior to the War of 1812. In 1925, a United States Land Patent was confirmed and issued. The property has been in use since . . . — Map (db m71618) HM
Orange Beach was named for the oranges that were grown here and exported until the hard-freezes of 1916. The orange groves are gone, but the name remained. Drawn here by the game they hunted, the early Indians discovered the . . . — Map (db m81851) HM
Ruins of the original Foundation of
Baldwin County's First Courthouse
Authorized 1820 • Constructed circa 1833
Preserved by Historic Blakely State Park 2011-12
With support in part of a Save Amerca's Treasures grant by the National Park . . . — Map (db m82019) HM
In 1813, people on the United State’s southwestern frontier were fearful. The Redstick faction of the Creek Indian Nation opposed growing American influence in the area and had voted for war. However, Creeks living in the Tensaw . . . — Map (db m66394) HM
Modern Stockton is situated on a hill just above the original settlement, which was abandoned around 1840 because of Yellow Fever outbreaks. No verified source for the town name exists. Most likely it was . . . — Map (db m66390) HM
Surveyed in 1799 to mark the 31° North Latitude, this line charted the first southern boundary of the United States, separating the U.S. from Spanish Florida. The line was marked at one-mile intervals by earthen mounds approximately fifteen-feet . . . — Map (db m81856) HM
In 1828, Reverend John Wesley Norton left his native South Carolina with his family and a wagon train of followers, crossed into the Creek Indian Nation and just into the edge of what was then Pike County, settling near the . . . — Map (db m78123) HM
County Seat of Barbour County
Clayton, the county seat of Barbour County is located geographically in the center of the county. The town was located at the headwaters of the Pea and Choctawhatchee rivers on the historic road . . . — Map (db m60772) HM
Barbour County’s “Little Scotland”
In the 1820’s before the Creek Indian Cession, Scot immigrants from Richmond County, North Carolina, settled this area of west Barbour County. Few other regions outside the motherland of . . . — Map (db m89605) HM
"Chief Eufaula," the man often referred to in the historical record as "Yoholo Micco," was a Creek chieftain from the Upper Creek town of Eufaula. Born in the late 1700s, he fought alongside allied Creeks with United States forces against his Red . . . — Map (db m101427) HM
Front Interred on this gently sloping hillside are the remains of many of Eufaula’s early black citizens. Their names are known only to God because the wooden grave markers which located the burials have long since vanished. This burying . . . — Map (db m27987) HM
The Second Creek war resulted in the final expulsion of the Creeks from eastern Alabama and paved the way for large-scale American settlement. The town of Irwinton gradually expanded westward from the bluff overlooking the Chattahoochee in the years . . . — Map (db m101361) HM
The area surrounding Eufaula was once part of a regional Creek population center. Towns of note in the region included Sawokli (also known as Sabacola) and the town of Eufaula for which the modern city is named. Trails linked these closely-connected . . . — Map (db m101355) HM
A small group of American settlers from Georgia formed a community called Eufaula in this vicinity as early as 1823. The settlement began to grow in importance later in the decade through the influence of prominent local landholder and Creek War . . . — Map (db m101357) HM
One of the oldest towns in southeast Alabama was settled in 1817 by Daniel Lewis who established a trading post and named the community “Louisville” after the first capital of Georgia, his hometown. By 1820 four stores, a Methodist . . . — Map (db m60768) HM
Near this site stood the old Pike County court house which was the county seat of Pike from 1822 to 1827. It also served as the temporary county seat of the newly created Barbour County in 1833, until Clayton was selected. Louisville was settled . . . — Map (db m60674) HM
West Blocton began as a business and residential community adjoining the Cahaba Coal Mining Company's town of Blocton in 1883-84. West Blocton incorporated in 1901. Eugene D. Reynolds was the first mayor, 1901-1904, followed by Dr. L.E. Peacock, . . . — Map (db m72283) HM
Woodstock was first settled in the 1820’s with a formal land grant to William Houston on Feb. 27, 1826. The settlement was established along the old Tuscaloosa to Huntsville Stage Coach Line. Woodstock got its name when Dr. J.U. Ray named it after . . . — Map (db m63697) HM
1820-1889 seat of Blount County a county older than the State.
Named for Tennessee Governor W. G. Blount who sent Andrew Jackson to aid Alabama settlers in Creek Indian War, 1812-1814.
Indian Chief Bear Meat lived here at crossing of . . . — Map (db m28038) HM
1813: Colonel John Coffee and 800 Tennessee Volunteers see Bear Meat Cabin Cherokee Settlement near Blountsville
1816: Town settles around square
1820: Newly named Blountsville becomes county seat
1827: Town incorporated with Trustee System . . . — Map (db m49176) HM
First minister assigned to Alabama Territory by Tennessee Conference. Preached first sermon two blocks west at Bear Meat Cabin (present Blountsville) April 18, 1818. He later organized churches in Shelby, St. Clair, Jefferson, Tuscaloosa and Cotaco . . . — Map (db m27991) HM
While traveling south with his troops, General Andrew Jackson camped at the fork of the river in 1813. General Jackson carved his name in a locust tree naming this area Locust Fork. In 1817, the Hanby family came from Virginia and settled in this . . . — Map (db m50125) HM
Planter, trader, historian, geologist, surveyor. Gathered authentic data from early settlers and Indians for his history of Blount County published in 1855. Made original survey of Blount County. — Map (db m50123) HM
William M. Bailey (born 1859 in Cherokee Co.; died 1909 in Blount Co.) settled 40 acres on what became Co. Rd 36 to the west and New Home Church Rd to the east in 1893. He brought three small sons from Cherokee Co. after the death of his first wife . . . — Map (db m42599) HM
Created Feb. 7, 1818 by Alabama Territorial Legislature from lands ceded by the Creek Indian Nation. Named for the Tennessee Governor W. G. Blount, who sent militia under Andrew Jackson to punish the Creeks for Fort Mims massacre. Jackson fought and . . . — Map (db m24353) HM
In 1864, traveling in an ox cart, Dr. Robert M. Moore left his family in Walton County, Georgia, and journeyed to Blount County, Alabama. Finding fertile land, he returned to Walton County and persuaded his wife to move to Blount County with him. In . . . — Map (db m49251) HM
The town of Aberfoil was incorporated January 26, 1839, in then Macon County, with the first election for councilors conducted and managed by Lewis Stoudenmire, Charles G. Lynch, Thomas Scott, David Hudson, and A. J. and E. A. Jackson. Aberfoil was . . . — Map (db m61027) HM
Samuel Sellers (1788-1857) of North Carolina arrived with his large family at Three Notch Road on January 29, 1835. Here, in what was then the Missouri Beat, Pike County, the first post office in the area was established, 2.5 miles west of . . . — Map (db m61061) HM
Built by U.S. Army engineers over the summer of 1824, Three Notch Road has served as Bullock County’s major transportation route throughout its history. It was constructed to facilitate military communication between Pensacola . . . — Map (db m89638) HM
Pioneer Samuel Feagin Sr. settled the Village of Midway in 1836. He came from Jones County, Georgia and established his residence at what is still called “The Old Feagin Place.” Samuel purchased a large acreage of land and sold it to . . . — Map (db m61854) HM
This community, settled during the mid-1830s, was first called Fulford’s Cross Roads, then Missouri Cross Roads when a post office was established here in 1846. The name Perote, adopted in 1850 was suggested by veterans returning from the Mexican . . . — Map (db m83256) HM
Built by U.S. Army engineers over the summer of 1824, Three Notch Road has served as Bullock County’s major transportation route throughout its history. It was constructed to facilitate military communication between Pensacola . . . — Map (db m89637) HM
Log Cabin Museum
Early settlers of this area cleared land and built their first homes of logs in the early 1830s. This cabin was built by Reuben Rice Kirkland (1829-1915) about 1850. He and his first wife had ten children while living in . . . — Map (db m60969) HM
In the early 1800s, settlers coming from the Carolinas and Georgia received land grants and some purchased land from the Indians. They settled and cleared the forest for new farms and plantations in what would become a newly formed State of Alabama . . . — Map (db m83258) HM
City of Georgiana Founded in 1855
Early settlers moved from Virginia, the Carolinas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia into the deep forests of southern Butler County. In 1855, the Rev. Pitt S. Milner established a home-stead and post . . . — Map (db m86265) HM
Created in 1819 by Act of Alabama Territorial Legislature from lands ceded by the Creek Indian Nation by the Treaty of Fort Jackson, 1814.
Named for Captain William Butler, soldier of Creek Indian War, 1813-14, early settler . . . — Map (db m70755) HM
The Camellia City
Mr. J. Glenn Stanley, an ardent camellia enthusiast, dreamed of Greenville becoming “The Camellia City” and loyally promoted this slogan as editor of The Greenville Advocate. The city’s . . . — Map (db m70754) HM
The community of Oakey Streak was so named for the abundance of oak trees in the immediate vicinity. From 1829-1843 the post office here was known as Middletown and from 1853-1935 Oakey Streak. Nearby was the . . . — Map (db m70757) HM
The Chief Ladiga Trail was named for a Creek Indian leader who signed the Cusseta Treaty in 1832. Under the terms of that agreement, the Creeks gave up claim to their remaining lands in northeast Alabama. Because he had signed the treaty, Ladiga was . . . — Map (db m36438) HM
Jacob Forney III lived and operated a thriving mercantile establishment at Jacksonville from 1835-56 on the south-east corner of the square. He and his wife Sabina Swope Hoke were the parents of nine children.
1. Daniel Peter - b. Feb. 24, 1819, . . . — Map (db m36450) HM
Postoffice established July 20, 1833 as Drayton, Benton County, Alabama. Name changed to Jacksonville Aug. 6, 1834 and county changed to Calhoun Jan. 29, 1858. Office maintained by Confederate Government 1861-1865.
Postmasters and dates of . . . — Map (db m36449) HM
Town first called Drayton.
Renamed in 1834 to honor
President Andrew Jackson.
Seat moved to Anniston in 1899.
Calhoun Co. originally was Benton Co.,
for Col. T. H. Benton, Creek War officer,
later U. S. Senator from Missouri.
. . . — Map (db m36471) HM
Life here has long centered on education beginning in 1834 when a one-acre plot of land was reserved for a schoolhouse. Through the years, various institutions of higher learning developed that culminated into present-day Jacksonville State . . . — Map (db m36429) HM
Cross Plains citizens voted for incorporation March 10, 1871. A second vote was cast for reincorporation May 15, 1882. By the acts of the Alabama Legislature of 1888, Cross Plains became Piedmont September 30, 1888. Mayors for both Cross Plains and . . . — Map (db m27992) HM
Chambers County, created December 18, 1832 from Creek Indian cession. Named for Dr. Henry C. Chambers of Madison County, member of Constitutional Convention 1819, legislature of 1820, elected U.S. Senator 1825 but died enroute to Washington.
. . . — Map (db m18162) HM
This structure was built by early settlers from Virginia, Tennessee, and the Carolinas, and subsequently modified. The original building has stood since 1836.
Union Sunday School begun here in 1891. Many eminent ministers have filled the . . . — Map (db m83264) HM
Known as Bluffton from about 1835-1893. Bluffton was incorporated in 1865. Name changed to Lanett, town of Lanett incorporated 1893. Its charter was approved in 1895. Early records mention academies, two near this site. The . . . — Map (db m92061) HM
Clanton, originally named Goose Pond, was founded in 1867 by Alfred Baker Sr. Goose Pond was renamed Clanton in honor of Confederate hero General James Holt Clanton. The city limits cover approximately 18 square miles. Clanton is located near the . . . — Map (db m54979) HM
Founded in 1895, the Town of Thorsby was the first planned community in Chilton County. The original settlers were people of Scandinavian origin seeking a favorable climate to locate for farming, fruit growing and better health. . . . — Map (db m73231) HM
The only community in the U.S. so designated, Verbena was named for the profuse wild flowers growing in the area. Settlers arrived in the area as early as 1832. Completion of the North-South Railroad and a train depot at Verbena in 1870 enabled . . . — Map (db m68286) HM
This 4000 acre complex has been recognized for its contribution to our understanding of the history of Monroe County and the State of Alabama. Originally developed as a cotton plantation during the Antebellum period, this farm has been in continuous . . . — Map (db m80345) HM
Founded in 1809 by George Strother Gaines as Choctaw-Creek Indian Trading Post on Alabama River, now Gainestown Landing. Here lived Alabama Indians for whom State & River named. At Battle of Maubila De Soto's hogs escaped, from whence . . . — Map (db m101609) HM
Near this spot are the graves of American Revolution soldier Elijah Pugh and his son Issac, a War of 1812 veteran. Elijah, born in Guilford Co., N.C. in 1760, was 18 when he joined a patriot band led by Col. Elijah Clarke at the . . . — Map (db m83270) HM
Grove Hill, first inhabited by Choctaw Indians, was settled by pioneers in the early 1800s. The settlement was called Magoffin's Store after James Magoffin whose shop, two miles from the present courthouse, opened in 1815. Grove . . . — Map (db m47653) HM
First home of Creek and Choctaw Indians, Jackson’s first pioneer settlers arrived about 1800. The little village was first called Republicville, then Pine Level, before its incorporation by an act of the Mississippi Territory . . . — Map (db m101591) HM
First village called Republicville. Town laid out in 1815 by Pine Level Land Company and named Pine Level. Incorporated 1816 and renamed Jackson for General Andrew Jackson. First commissioners, David Taylor, David White, Reuben Saffold, Peregrin . . . — Map (db m101589) HM
The area from Stave Creek to Jackson Creek was one of sites for the making of salt during the years 1862-64.
Furnaces of native stone were built and salt water from dug wells evaporated by boiling in large kettles.
Amount of salt six hundred . . . — Map (db m101607) HM
In the summer of 1887, a notice was published confirming that the route for the Mobile and West Alabama Railroad would be the Choctaw Corner route. Soon the sounds of building could be heard over the swamp that was the . . . — Map (db m101601) HM
Town laid out in 1819 at crossing of Old Line and Old Federal Roads. Named for Wm. Suggs, storekeeper. Site of Clarke County's first newspaper, cotton gin, carriage, shoe and silk factory. Site of extensive aviation experiments by Dr. Denny 100 . . . — Map (db m47698) HM
Clay County was formed by an act of the Alabama General Assembly on December 7, 1866. Less than a year later, Ashland was established as the county seat on land donated by Hollingsworth Watts for the construction of a . . . — Map (db m95087) HM
Clay County and the
Creek Indian War of 1813-14
During the Creek Indian War of 1813-14, a subset of the War of 1812 with England, numerous figures prominent in American history marched over what would become Clay . . . — Map (db m95100) HM
Union Baptist Church. later named the First Baptist Church of Ashland, was founded with 23 charter members in 1865, six years before the town was incorporated. Members met in a log cabin in the southwestern part of Ashland. From . . . — Map (db m95101) HM
This historic site marks the first
settlement known as "Lundie's
Crossroads" settled in 1838. The name
changed to "County Line" in 1856. Clay
County was formed on this line from
Randolph and Talladega Counties in
1866. The . . . — Map (db m95103) HM
Elba began circa 1840. A ferry had been started across Pea River, thus beginning the town’s first name, Bridgeville. In 1850, the town’s name was changed to Bentonville in honor of a Missourian who had distinguished himself in service to Alabama in . . . — Map (db m54201) HM
The first Coffee County Courthouse was at Wellborn and burned in 1851. This site given by John B. Simmons when Elba was selected the county seat polling 58 more votes than Indigo Head (Clintonville) in a county election on October 5, 1852. The first . . . — Map (db m54804) HM
The first seat of justice for Coffee County was located approximately 500 yards southeast of this site. The community was named for Gen. William Wellborn, an Alabama commander during the Creek Indian War of 1836-37.
Under the Act of December . . . — Map (db m95355) HM
Established here about 1871 and served as educational, cultural, religious and social center of this community until consolidation in 1934. School land was donated by George and Georgie Arwood. Early teachers included W.E. Andrews, Mrs. M.E. Fleming . . . — Map (db m95354) HM
Side 1 By 1805, half-blood Chickasaw leaders George and Levi Colbert were operating inns and a river ferry nearby on the Natchez Trace. The Chickasaw Indian Agency was moved to Agency Creek, now Malone Creek, (3.8 miles east) in 1825. Caney . . . — Map (db m41132) HM
Capt. Benjamin F. Little, a former Confederate soldier, opened a store here after the railroad from Tuscumbia to Russellville was built in 1887. A train station and several houses were soon erected. A rail spur provided access to . . . — Map (db m68954) HM
Muscle Shoals City was incorporated on April 24, 1923. Among the leading developers were New York realtors A.L. Howell and C.T. Graves. Their interest in Muscle Shoals was inspired by the vision of Henry Ford to use power from . . . — Map (db m28580) HM
Side A Prehistoric man arrived in this area bout 10,000 years ago.
Later Indian cultures left many stone artifacts and pottery vessels.
In the 1780s, a French trading post and Indian village were located near the mouth of Spring Creek. . . . — Map (db m83389) HM
Oka Kapassa (Ococoposa), meaning "Cold Water", was the Chickasaw name given to Spring Creek and to a trading post established near the Tennessee River about 1780. About 1817, Michael Dickerson and others were greeted at what by . . . — Map (db m83393) HM
First Presbyterian Church was organized April 13, 1824, by Scots-Irish settlers. The sanctuary, erected in 1827, is the oldest in continuous use in Alabama. Its Georgian Gothic style remains essentially unchanged. The brick walls . . . — Map (db m40429) HM
The area around the Big Spring was inhabited by prehistoric Native Americans as early as 10,000 years ago. The first settlement was a French trading post and Indian village about 1780 on Cold Water Creek (Spring Creek) near the . . . — Map (db m83396) HM
Big Spring (average daily flow 35,000,000 gallons) provided water for town founded on its banks.
Michael Dickson of Tennessee was first settler (about 1817). Town laid out in 1819 and incorporated as Ococoposo (Cold Water, 1820).
Name changed to . . . — Map (db m83453) HM
The first known school in Conecuh County, "Students Retreat," was located near this site. The land was owned by John Green, who also was the school’s first teacher. Green served the county in the state House of Representatives and the 1861 Secession . . . — Map (db m81295) HM
War of 1812 veteran John Green (1790-1882) settled in Burnt Corn in 1816. He held many public offices, established the first school, and represented Conecuh County in the state legislature in 1824 and 1829. He was the Conecuh delegate to the . . . — Map (db m81285) HM
Garrett Longmire had an early trading center, tavern and stage stop near here. He served as the postmaster when his store became a post office in 1818, one of the earliest in what was then the Alabama Territory. The Burnt Corn Post Office served as . . . — Map (db m81298) HM
In the fall of 1817 Reverend Alexander Travis settled his affairs in South Carolina and immigrated to Conecuh County, where, in the spring of 1818, Beulah Baptist Church was constituted. In rapid succession, Travis’ firm resolve and his devotion to . . . — Map (db m86270) HM
Evergreen, the county seat of Conecuh County, is located in the central part of the county on the Louisville & Nashville Railroad. Founded in 1819 by James Cosey, George Andrews and the Clough Brothers, Evergreen was originally . . . — Map (db m81287) HM
Doctor Reverend Hillary James Hawkins, who was affectionately known throughout the community as “Brown,” dedicated most of his adult life to providing spiritual guidance to blacks in Evergreen and surrounding . . . — Map (db m81292) HM
Midway was one of the first settlements established in Conecuh County along the Post Road which later became the Old Federal Road. Long serving as a hub for Indian trails branching out to the north, northeast and northwest, the Midway town site once . . . — Map (db m81277) HM
In the early 1900s, Repton was a bustling railroad town along the Louisville and Nashville Railroad. Among other businesses, it boasted several hotels, banks, stores, a livery stable, cotton gin and the only hospital with a Board . . . — Map (db m100840) HM
Duncan MacMillan’s stage stop was located near here. According to traveler James Stuart in 1830, he (Duncan) “did not taste fermented liquor” and “thought coffee was the best stimulant.” Mr. McMillan came from Scotland and . . . — Map (db m81278) HM
Although the Creek Indians retained ownership of this territory after the Treaty of Fort Jackson ended the Creek War of 1812-14, whites began settling here before Alabama achieved statehood. This site included a Native American village, frontier . . . — Map (db m96064) HM
Peace & Goodwill Cemetery is Coosa County's first African American Cemetery to be placed on the prestigious Alabama Historic Cemetery Register. It provides powerful insights about the diligence and commitment of our African Ancestors. Family . . . — Map (db m64587) HM
Old courthouse clock bell from 1897 to 1917
has been donated to Covington County
this Bicentennial year 1976
by H. Speller Moates and family.
Dedicated to the early settlers of Covington County
Erected in honor of
the . . . — Map (db m94205) HM
The name Florala came from combining the names of Florida and Alabama. Lake Jackson, located in Florala, is the state's largest natural lake. It is named for Andrew Jackson, who in 1818 camped on the lake with his soldiers while en route to . . . — Map (db m83457) HM
On December 18, 1821, the Alabama General Assembly appointed Covington County commissioners William Carter Jr., James R. Mobley, Aaron Lockhart, Henry Jones, and Abel Polk “to fix and designate a suitable place for a seat of Justice, and to . . . — Map (db m42549) HM
Sanford first came into being as a community post office which was established on May 19, 1879. Around the turn of the century, Sanford had a period of progress that lasted for several years. The L&N Railroad had come through in . . . — Map (db m94166) HM
The area known as Sports was settled by Jonathan Sport and his son, William, who migrated from South Carolina in 1842. Jonathan and William owned 600 acres of land in the area at one time, farming and operating a grist mill. William’s sons John . . . — Map (db m42825) HM
Rutledge was the first county seat of Crenshaw County and held that position from March 1867 to May 1893. Originally called Barber’s Cross Roads, it was briefly named Crenshaw; but June 10, 1867, it was changed to Rutledge in honor of Captain Henry . . . — Map (db m72053) HM
“Die Deutsche Kolonie Von Nord Alabama” (The German Colony of North Alabama) lies south of Highway 278E and consists of 27 blocks containing 135 buildings representing various types of historic architecture. The District was added to the . . . — Map (db m33837) HM
The city of Cullman is the county seat of Cullman County, which had scattered settlers as early as 1823. Called "The Crossroads of the True South," Cullman was founded by Col. Johann Gottfried Cullmann. After fleeing his German homeland and living . . . — Map (db m66397) HM
The first church in the City of Cullman was established on this block of land donated by the North and South Railroad in February 1874. Lots 154, 155, and 181 were granted to Henry Dietz, August Henning, and George Stoback as trustees of the . . . — Map (db m33841) HM
Born Frankwetler, Bavarta, Germany July 2, 1823
Died Cullman, Alabama December 3, 1895
Colonel Cullmann Founded the City of Cullman, Alabama, in 1873.
Later, in 1877, he founded Cullman County. He also established the Alabama Towns of Bangor, . . . — Map (db m83459) HM
Thrifty German colonists, led by Col. John G. Cullman, in 1873 settled this thinly populated plateau.
This section, previously thought unproductive, became famous for its diversified crops. — Map (db m29976) HM
The first church at the town site of Cullman. Founded May 1, 1874, at the beginning of the second year of settlement.
An ethnic German church formed by immigrant families. Services held exclusively in the German language until 1932. In 1937, . . . — Map (db m33840) HM
Preservation of this Weiss Cottage was initiated by the Cullman County Historical Society and implemented by the Cullman County Federation of Women’s Clubs, City of Cullman Bicentennial Commission and the City of Cullman Community Development . . . — Map (db m33836) HM
Early settlers to Cullman County established Shady Grove Methodist Episcopal Church as a brush arbor in the 1870s on land homesteaded and donated by Richard McCain. Trustees, J. J. McKissack, W. H. Martin, J. C. Vickery, J. W. Kilgo, together with . . . — Map (db m34244) HM
Double-pen split log cabin built in 1840's by early settlers who fled disease carrying mosquitoes along Claybank Creek, the first permanent location in this area. This house was the gathering place for many families. The logs tell . . . — Map (db m74202) HM
Daleville, originally called Dale, was the county seat of Dale County from 1831-1841. William Harper was probate judge of Dale County, which was originally included in present-day Coffee County until 1841, present-day Geneva County until 1868, and . . . — Map (db m41145) HM
At the request of community residents James A. Waters Sr., Jesse C. Thomas and William C. Grantham, the Town of Level Plains, population 133, was granted incorporation by the Honorable S. Kirke Adams, Dale County Judge of Probate, . . . — Map (db m74187) HM
Richmond - First County Seat
Henry County was created December 13, 1819; David Caldwell first Probate Judge, held court in homes of early settlers. Richmond was selected in 1822 for first county seat. Creation of Dale . . . — Map (db m71585) HM
(Front): The Block House 1814
The first public structure in what later became Dale County was erected one mile east of this marker at the confluence of the East and West Choctawhatchee Rivers. Called the Block House, it was built of . . . — Map (db m64863) HM
Town on the Hill - 1843
Newton was hub of Dale County activities from 1843 until 1870. During War Between the States (1861-1865), Newton was center of recruiting, including the Home Guards. In March 1865, local militia repulsed . . . — Map (db m71586) HM
(Front): Early Ozark
From 1824, when Dale County was created by an act of the Alabama Legislature, until 1870, the area now comprising the “City of Ozark” was gradually settled mostly by farmers who came and bought the . . . — Map (db m65250) HM
Side A In the 1820's pioneers, including John Merrick, began settling in vicinity of present-day Ozark, first called "Merrick's". Dale County formed December 22, 1824. In the 1830's wooden stores and cotton gin were built about one mile north . . . — Map (db m36509) HM
Site of Alabama's first permanent capital 1820-26. County seat Dallas County, 1820-66. Prison for Union soldiers during the War Between the States 1863-65. Indians were the first inhabitants over 4000 years ago. Their large fortified village could . . . — Map (db m75779) HM
The Cahaba Drug Store once covered this cellar hole. It was operated by Herbert Hudson and J. D. Craig.
On the same lot were T. L. Craig's large family grocery, Coleman's dry goods store, and Fellows' Jewelry.
All these men were related . . . — Map (db m23008) HM
This stone marks the site of Cahaba, selected November 21, 1818 as the first permanent capital of Alabama. The seat of goverment remaining here until removed to Tuscaloosa by the Legislature, January 1825.
On December 13, 1819, it was fixed as . . . — Map (db m22609) HM
In 1818, Alabama's first governor carved the capital city of Cahawba out of the wilderness. In less than 50 years, Cahawba grew from a frontier capital full of log cabins to one of America's wealthiest communities, with some of the finest . . . — Map (db m83508) HM
In 1858, the railroad company graded away an Indian mound that stood here. A brick warehouse was built in its place. From 1863 - 1865 the Confederate government used this warehouse to hold captured Federal Soldiers. You are standing on a pile of . . . — Map (db m22666) HM
This cellar was under Joseph Babcock's brick store. During the Civil War the building was used as a commissary.
Babcock's warehouse and cotton shed were located to your right on the bluff overlooking the river. The family home, kitchen, and . . . — Map (db m23287) HM
A "row" was a 19th century shopping mall. The word was used when a building or block had several similar storefronts arranged in a straight line or row.
This cellar marks the spot where David and Nicholas Crocheron built a large 2 story brick . . . — Map (db m83509) HM
The grassed over mound of brick before you was once Dallas County's courthouse. This courthouse was built in 1834. It was dismantled prior to 1905 by brick salvagers.
Cahawba was the county seat from 1818 to 1866. This brought a lot of people, . . . — Map (db m23010) HM
St. Luke's Episcopal Church was built at Cahawba in 1854 but was dismantled and moved sometime after 1884 but before 1888. It was reassembled fifteen miles away in a rural community called Martin's Station. The raised outline before you indicates . . . — Map (db m83510) HM
In 1866, shortly after the Civil War and a severe flood, the county seat was moved from Cahaba to Selma. Residents rapidly abandoned the town. Many homes were dismantled and reassembled elsewhere.
Despite this trend, returning Confederate . . . — Map (db m83516) HM
Burials in this cemetery, which served Cahaba from 1848 to 1900, tell a story of the town in which many deaths resulted from diseases of infancy, childhood and early adult life, Yellow Fever being a large factor because of proximity to Gulf of . . . — Map (db m23322) HM
This site was set aside by the 1820 General Assembly, burials here date from 1818 to 1847. Interred are some of the state's earliest figures. There is no record of names, many handsome tombs have been destroyed, seven marked ones remaining, six are . . . — Map (db m23355) HM
This artesian well was drilled to serve a factory which did not materialize. It was then used to water the grounds, a garden and pastures. In addition, by forcing water through pipes into his $50,000 home, E. M. Perine, a merchant prince, had the . . . — Map (db m83518) HM
In the late 1850s, Cahaba experienced a building boom. Everyone expected the town to prosper because of the new railroad. One of the first large brick structures built in this prosperous period was completed in 1856 by Dr. Saltmarsh.
He wanted . . . — Map (db m23009) HM
This structure collapsed in 1833 and its fallen remains were reportedly heaped into a railroad embankment. Consequently, we have no picture of the Statehouse that was drawn by someone who actually saw the building. Any modern picture you see of this . . . — Map (db m75909) HM
St. Luke's was consecrated in 1854. It was an outstanding example of the Gothic Revival style, popular at the time. The contractor closely followed designs in a widely circulated book, Rural Architecture, published in 1852 by the celebrated . . . — Map (db m75922) HM
The Crocherons were from Staten Island, New York. Richard Conner Crocheron arrived in town about 1837 to help run the family store. He traveled north for his bride in 1843 after building her this brick home. The back wall adjoined the brick store . . . — Map (db m22870) HM
By 1858 many brick stores had been built in Cahaba, so everyone called this the "old brick store." Merchant Sam M. Hill turned the building into one huge dry goods store where shoppers could buy just about anything!
Col. Hill, like most of the . . . — Map (db m23242) HM
Vine Street was Cahawba's business district. Stores, offices and hotels were tightly packed together along these three blocks. Homes were scattered over an entire square mile. Nearly every house had a yard of one or two acres. — Map (db m83520) HM
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in February 2006, the district includes 117 commercial and residential properties dating from around 1875 to 1950. The district lies along and adjacent to Grand Avenue, South Valley Avenue and Main . . . — Map (db m62367) HM
Collinsville burned twice. On December 24, 1884, the Collinsville Depot, Hall-Mackey Store and other businesses were destroyed. Flames again swept the town on February 2, 1900, damaging and destroying businesses and homes including: B.A. Nowlin . . . — Map (db m62377) HM
Cherokee Indians first inhabited this mound site, subsequently settled by A.H. Lamar, a captain in the Seminole War and first constable (1836) of DeKalb County. Lamar and his Cherokee wife operated trading post and stage coach stop on site, selling . . . — Map (db m62366) HM
Crossville, once known as a little village, was named by James A. Copeland because of the area’s many crossroads. In the mid-1800s, mail was brought through Crossville from Rome, GA and Guntersville, AL by stagecoach. The first . . . — Map (db m79904) HM
No one knows for sure how Geraldine got its name. Some say it was named for a lovely Indian maiden. The first official record was on September 5, 1882 when Mr. William A. Johnson applied for the location of a new post office. The . . . — Map (db m79905) HM
The first Lookout Mountain settlers arrived shortly after the Cherokee Indian removal of 1838-1839. These pioneers had been too late for homesteading the good farmland in northwest Georgia. They now turned their attention to Lookout . . . — Map (db m83688) HM
Clear, bubbling springs have enticed people to this vicinity for thousands of years. Native American hunting paths led to them and after the defeat of the Creek Indians by the United States in 1813, old trails became the Jackson and . . . — Map (db m71177) HM
On this bend of the Tallapoosa River, stretching out before you, lay one of the ancient towns of the Muscogee Creek People, called Tukabatchee. Tukabatchee is one of the original four mother towns of the . . . — Map (db m92945) HM
William Bartram, America’s first native born artist-naturalist, passed through Elmore County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. In 1776 the appointed botanist of Britain’s King . . . — Map (db m69431) HM
The land area which now comprises the City of Wetumpka was inhabited by various Indian cultures prior to the inward migration of the white man at the turn of the 19th century. The largest Indian village near here was located on . . . — Map (db m67936) HM
Settled by A.J. Hall in 1852 and occupied by Confederate troops because of its value as a railroad stop during the War Between the States (1861-65), Canoe was the site of a March 27, 1865 encampment of Union forces. The 1870s brought expansion . . . — Map (db m72265) HM
Williams Station, Alabama
Creek Indians lived in these parts some 200 years before trains began stopping here in 1866 to leave supplies for a farmer, William Larkin Williams, who lived nearby. Workers, who came first . . . — Map (db m72260) HM
Front As railroads were reconstructed following the Civil War, a junction of north-south and east-west lines was established along the Alabama-Florida border near the confluence of Big Escambia Creek and the Conecuh-Escambia River. A . . . — Map (db m47484) HM
Coley Chapel is the present day site of the former Town of Hadley.
MacDavid's Hotel was also located here and was recorded by travelers in the 1830's as a hotel which had "plenty of nice pork, which in some shape or other is the food generally . . . — Map (db m84376) HM
Located 1½ miles south, town of Pollard established 1861 at juncture of Alabama & Florida and Mobile & Great Northern railroads. Named for Charles T. Pollard, builder of Alabama & Florida Railroad.
One of largest military training camps of . . . — Map (db m84371) HM
Nichols came to Alabama City in 1894 to supervise construction of the Dwight Manufacturing Company. While serving as the mill's first agent, he planned and began a model mill village and was elected Mayor of Alabama City. — Map (db m18578) HM
Dwight Manufacturing Company of Chicopee, Massachusetts selected this site in Alabama City for a cotton mill in 1894. The Mill and the village covering 240 acres was constructed under the direction of Howard Gardner Nichols.
There were 160 . . . — Map (db m18575) HM
In the early 1840’s, John S. Moragne, along with Gabriel and Joseph Hughes, began surveying for a city on the banks of the Coosa River near the settlement of Double Springs. The new city would be located on 120 acres of land at the . . . — Map (db m39139) HM
Fayette County was created in 1824. The town of Fayette, once known as Frog Level due to being located in swampland, got its name from the incessant croaking of bullfrogs. In 1883, the Georgia Pacific Railroad was located trough this swamp after . . . — Map (db m51203) HM
The Town of Hodges held a war bond auction in the month of January 1943. The proceeds amounted to about $47,000. As an award, the war department allowed Hodges to name a P-51 Mustang Fighter aircraft. She was named "The Spirit of Hodges." The plane . . . — Map (db m83741) HM
First known as New Boston when a post office was established here in 1832, by 1834 the community was known as Newburg. The Newburg Masonic Lodge #388 was organized in 1872. Since its completion in 1878, the Lodge hall has been a center for community . . . — Map (db m80561) HM
Incorporated on November 27, 1819, three weeks before Alabama achieved statehood, Russellville was platted around the intersection of two historic roads.
Edmund Pendleton Gaines began work on the road that would bear his name on December 26, . . . — Map (db m83750) HM
Vina was first known as Jones Crossroads, and later it was called New Burleson before the railroad came through the area. In the early 1900s, the Illinois Central Railroad was built through Jones Crossroads and the town’s name was changed to Vina . . . — Map (db m83751) HM
Named for Revolutionary hero,
General Nathaniel Greene,
who drove British from Southeast.
Area explored by DeSoto, 1540.
Claimed as French Louisiana, 1699.
Ceded to England, 1763.
Ceded by Choctaw Nation, 1816.
Made a territorial . . . — Map (db m37962) HM
In 1838, Greene County citizens voted to change the town seat from Erie to Eutaw. The City of Eutaw, Alabama was incorporated as a town by an act of the State Legislature on January 2, 1841. Greene County had been named for General Nathaniel Greene. . . . — Map (db m83752) HM
In 1867 a group of African American men and women laid the foundations for Freetown. William, John, Albert, George, Richard, and Peter Collins; Susan and Lawrence Moore; Thomas Jeffries; the children of John Jeffries; and Louisa . . . — Map (db m38192) HM
Site of a prehistoric Native American political and ceremonial center from about A. D. 1100-1500 that, at its height in the 13th century, was America’s largest community north of Mexico. Between 1,000 and 3,000 people lived in this town fortified by . . . — Map (db m30700) HM
Created in 1819 by Alabama Territorial Legislature. Named for Patrick Henry of Virginia, colonial statesman and orator: “Give me liberty or give me death.” This area ceded by Creek Indian Nation in 1814 under Treaty of Ft. Jackson. Had . . . — Map (db m60682) HM
The oldest remaining colonial settlement in East Alabama from Florida to the Tennessee line and older than the county of Henry and the state of Alabama. An active trading post was located here in the Alabama Territory on “The Hill” early . . . — Map (db m83757) HM
Upon formation, Henry County was the largest county within Alabama composing all or portions of the present counties of Barbour, Coffee, Covington, Crenshaw, Dale, Geneva, Houston and Pike. When the youngest county of Houston was formed in 1903, . . . — Map (db m60683) HM
Reuben Hicklin Hall Log Home
Reuben Hicklin Hall (1812-1890) and Mary Ann Strange (1814-1872) moved to Henry County by ox wagon from Washington County, Georgia, in 1845. They built a log home just south of here with slave . . . — Map (db m71821) HM
The First Baptist Church of Abbeville
This church was founded in 1834 as a mission of the Lawrenceville Baptist Church. Reverend Jeremiah Campbell was one of the early pastors. Later meetings were held in the lower story . . . — Map (db m71807) HM
This early settlers' church was constituted as a member of the Choctawhatchee Association District here on the Eufaula-Ozark Wagon Train Road, April 23, 1860. First Presbytery was M.W. Helms and J.J. Dickerson, Deacon William Hasten and Clerk D.R. . . . — Map (db m71827) HM
James Joshua Head (1839-1927) founded Headland in 1871 as Head’s Land. He patented land, platted the town and built his home. The Post Office opened, as Headland, on October 10, 1871. J. J. Head sold . . . — Map (db m71817) HM
Begun on 160 acres of land owned by Dr. Joshua Head, "Head's Land," or Headland, was established in 1871, incorporated as a town in 1884 and a city in 1893. The land itself yielded the city's first industry. Due to the abundance of pine trees, . . . — Map (db m71816) HM
This early cultural, educational and religious center was settled in 1823 and named for Joseph Lawrence, prominent pioneer, farmer, and extensive land owner. A Baptist and a Methodist Church were established here prior to . . . — Map (db m71825) HM
James Madison Wells founded a village called Wells circa 1882. When Abbeville Southern Railroad laid tracks through the town in 1893, its name was changed to Wells Station. The post office was built in . . . — Map (db m71810) HM
Liberty United Methodist Church
Also called Liberty Chapel, the Church was organized circa 1830 and originally located three miles northeast of this site, on the Old Liberty Church Road. Rev. Anson West, D.D., renowned Methodist minister, . . . — Map (db m71829) HM
Site of the 1831 Irwin homeplace where over 50,000 acres of land was owned by Major General William Irwin (1794-1850). He was an Indian fighter, farmer, politician, statesman and considered one of the nation’s richest and most influential men. A . . . — Map (db m71824) HM
First settler crossings were made here prior to 1817 on a log ferry operated by Robert Irwin. First bridge built by Prescott and Bemis and destroyed by flood of 1855. Second wooden covered bridge was completed in 1869 by ex-slave Horace King. Third . . . — Map (db m71843) HM
The frontier village of Franklin was established here by Colonel Robert Irwin in 1814 on the site of the Indian town of Cheeska Talofa. It was the first colonial village in east Alabama. Fort Gaines, Georgia, was constructed in 1816 to protect the . . . — Map (db m71844) HM
(Front): Incorporation of Ashford
Wishing to incorporate their small town of “Pine-Woods,” a group of men set off to Abbeville, Alabama to go before Probate Judge Dan Gordon on May 11, 1891. A petition was signed on that . . . — Map (db m64866) HM
History suggests that, in the early 1820's, circuit riding preachers from the South Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church arrived in the newly settled town of Columbia. Assigned to the Early County Mission in . . . — Map (db m73363) HM
Founded in 1820, Columbia was originally located about a mile south, near where the Omussee Creek flows into the Chattahoochee River. It served as the county seat of Henry County from 1826 to 1833. Bordering the State of Georgia and the . . . — Map (db m73364) HM
Old Columbia Jail
Erected sometime in the early 1860's, the Old Columbia Jail is today one of the last wooden jails still standing in Alabama. Originally, there were two cells, each measuring 10 x 15 feet. Interior . . . — Map (db m73368) HM
In April 1903, the Town of Cottonwood was incorporated, making it the first town established in Houston County. The town's name may have come from either Mr. Wood, an influential land owner, or from the softwood trees growing in the area. General . . . — Map (db m73381) HM
Located near this marker is the Poplar Head Spring which served as a meeting place for Indian traders prior to the arrival of the white and black settlers. The Alibamu Indians of the Chattahoochee River basin met the Creeks of the Choctawahatchee . . . — Map (db m41141) HM
Side A In the late 1700s and 1800s, horse and ox-drawn covered wagons from Charleston, Savannah, and Jacksonville traveled across the South as pioneer families searched for a place to build new homes and to start a new life. Those pioneers, . . . — Map (db m83785) HM
In 1858, the tiny Poplar Head community requested a post office. Since there was a town called Poplar Spring in the state, the postal authorities arbitrarily assigned the name Dothan to the new post office to prevent misdirected mail. Early maps and . . . — Map (db m41137) HM
Mr. William Wood (b. 22 Mar. 1826, d. 15 Oct. 1885), a prominent Gordon businessman, donated one acre of land located north of the town center adjacent to the old river road, now U.S. Highway 95, from . . . — Map (db m73371) HM
(Front): Before the courthouse was completed, the community selected a location for a cemetery. The highest elevation in Bellefonte's corporate limits was chosen as the town's burial place. The earliest inscribed marker in Bellefonte Cemetery . . . — Map (db m83790) HM
The small village of Coffeetown, located to the southeast of what is now Langston, was established in the 1810s. Coffeetown faded away in 1869 when most of its residents moved to Texas. It was then that James Morgan sold 15 acres in town lots and . . . — Map (db m83791) HM
Planter, tavern operator, newspaper editor, legislator, and land developer, he sought in vain to have the Jackson County seat moved from Bellefont to the settlement that bore his name. After his death in 1863, his widow reached an agreement in 1868 . . . — Map (db m22260) HM
Section, Alabama is on a land where the Cherokee once hunted and lived. There were communities such as Kirby Creek, Gossets Hollow, and Fern Cliff. These communities came together to form the Town of Section. Pioneer settlers came in large . . . — Map (db m79906) HM
Union Baptist Church was organized in 1834 by 18 or 20 members from Canaan Church. The Libscomb area was then known as East End. Members of the Rockett and Ware families donated the original two acreas of this site and a log cabin, which served as . . . — Map (db m24352) HM
The arrival of two railroad lines in Jones Valley opened nearby deposits of iron ore, limestone, and coal to commercial development and helped make Birmingham one of the great industrial cities of the post Civil War South.
In 1871, the year of . . . — Map (db m69018) HM
Red Mountain, where you are standing, and Jones Valley, which stretches before you, were sites of human activity long before Birmingham's founding in 1871.
Native American presence
Recorded history and archaeological evidence indicate the . . . — Map (db m83805) HM
13794 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 13594