Built circa, 1840s by A.K. McWilliams, this story and one-half Federal-style raised cottage with Greek Revival elements was the residence of Amos Smith, who named the town of Prattville.
The west front parlor was the meeting place where the . . . — Map (db m27982) HM
Once the world's largest plant manufacturing cotton gins.
Founded 1833 by Daniel Pratt, the greatest industrialist of Alabama prior to 1860. Pratt's many industries were of great aid to Confederacy during Northern blockade. — Map (db m70799) HM
The poet and musician, born in Macon, Georgia, was Academy principal in 1867-68. He married Mary H. Day of Macon in December 1867. In Prattville, they lived at the Mims Hotel and later in Dr. S.P. . . . — Map (db m70802) HM
This boulder erected by
The Merrill E. Pratt Chapter U.D.C.
April 26, 1916,
marks the spot where
The Prattville Dragoons
assembled in April, 1861,
on the eve of their departure
to the war,
and is commemorative of their . . . — Map (db m70819) HM WM
In memory of the Alabama
Confederate States of America
who served at Fort Blakeley
Mobile Bay District
United Daughters of the Confederacy
Bonnie . . . — Map (db m87295) WM
The Battle of Fort Blakely April 9, 1865 was the last major battle of the Civil War. This 67 acre part of the Blakeley Battlefield was acquired in 2002 with assistance of grants from the Land & Water Conservation Fund administered by the National . . . — Map (db m87296) HM
Both people and animals need salt to remain healthy. Before the Civil War the people of Alabama consumed about 50 pounds of salt per person per year, most of which came from England and the West Indies. One quarter of all the salt imported into the . . . — Map (db m68503) HM
(Obverse): First Alabama soldier to lose life in Civil War.
DeVotie graduated in 1856 from University of Alabama; Presbyterian Theological Seminary at Princeton in 1859. In 1856 at the University of Alabama, he was chief founder of Sigma . . . — Map (db m4219) HM
Tribute dedicated to the memory of the soldiers who gave their lives in the defense of our country here at Fort Morgan.
Here lies the pride of seven flags entombed in our ancestor’s worth, who heard the thunder of the fray . . . — Map (db m4649) HM
"Damn the Torpedoes!" is a familiar battle cry, but there's more to the story! The Mobile Civil War Trail is your guide to military movements and the way of life on and around Mobile Bay in the closing two years of the Civil . . . — Map (db m87247) HM
After the surrender of Fort Gaines, U.S. General Gordon Granger prepared to besiege Fort Morgan. On August 9, 1864, he moved by transport to Navy Cove and debarked 2,000 men and his siege equipment at the Pilot Town wharf. By 2:00 p.m. he had . . . — Map (db m87246) HM
This smoothbore, muzzle-loading cannon was one of the
main coast defense weapons in the United States' arsenal when Fort Morgan was completed in 1834. With an eight pound charge of powder the gun could fire a 32 pound solid iron shot about one . . . — Map (db m87245) HM
6.4” (100 pounder) Parrott Rifle
Designed by Robert Parker Parrott at the outbreak of the Civil War, the Parrott Rifle became one of the most used rifled artillery pieces during the war. With shells that exploded on impact, rifled . . . — Map (db m69898) HM
The Citadel, a large ten sided brick and wood structure, once dominated the Fort’s parade ground. Completed in 1825 as a defensive barracks, it was capable of housing 400 soldiers.
During the Union bombardment on August 22, 1864, the pine . . . — Map (db m68751) HM
Completed on August 18th, Battery Lincoln was located near the northern end of the Federal siege lines of Fort Morgan. Company “C” of the 20th Iowa Infantry Regiment, under the command of Captain Mark L. Thomson, was detailed to serve . . . — Map (db m81809) HM
Eager to attack Mobile Bay since 1862, U. S. Admiral David Farragut knew he could not capture control of the lower bay without the support of the army and without a flotilla of ironclad monitors to confront the Confederate ironclad CSS . . . — Map (db m68815) HM
At 7:25 a.m., August 5, 1864, Admiral Farragut’s lead monitor Tecumseh steered into the torpedo field at the mouth of Mobile Bay. The admiral had ordered Commander Tunis Craven, the Tecumseh’s captain, to engage the ram . . . — Map (db m69412) HM
As the Hartford and Brooklyn steamed into the lower bay, the Tennessee tried to ram both in succession but was too slow and had to let them pass. Admiral Buchanan then exchanged broadsides with the rest of Admiral Farragut’s . . . — Map (db m69617) HM
The Citadel, a large ten sided brick and wood structure, once dominated the Fort’s parade ground. Capable of housing 400 soldiers, it served as a defensive barracks for the Fort’s garrison.
During the Union bombardment of Fort Morgan on August . . . — Map (db m92994) HM
To Wait and Watch
In late August 1864 the Federals controlled Mobile Bay but could not attack Mobile. Admiral Farragut could not reach the city even with his light draft vessels, because the channels in the upper Bay had been obstructed. . . . — Map (db m69909) HM
Old tales have it that early explorers and even pirate vessels obtained potable water from springs scattered throughout the community of Magnolia Springs. This park is located at the largest of dozens of springs in the area.
In 1865 The . . . — Map (db m68486) HM
“Damn The Torpedoes!” is the familiar battle cry, but there’s much more to the story! The Mobile Bay Civil War Trail is your guide to military movements and the way of life on and around Mobile Bay in the closing two years of the Civil . . . — Map (db m81853) HM
Late on March 26, C.S. General St. John Liddell withdrew into the relative safety of Fort Blakeley and Spanish Fort, Liddell, assisted by General Francis Cockrell, assumed personal responsibility for the defense of Blakeley and put the defense of . . . — Map (db m88990) HM
Canby brought up his heavy guns from Stark’s Landing a process that took several days, beginning on the 28th. Supported by the Federal monitors, Chickasaw and Winnebago, Canby tried to pound the enemy into submission The Confederates naturally . . . — Map (db m88991) HM
Approximately one mile south-southwest of here stood Fort Browder, a small wooden fortification built in 1836 for protection in the last war with the Creek Indians and named for Isham Browder, a prominent . . . — Map (db m60895) HM
Built between 1856 and 1860 by Edward Brown Young and his wife, Ann Fendall Beall, this was one of the first of the great Italianate style homes constructed in Eufaula. It later became the home of the builders’ daughter, Anna Beall Young, and her . . . — Map (db m33759) HM
This road marks the entrance into Eufaula of Federal Troops on April 29, 1865. Lee had surrendered at Appomattox, Virginia on April 9. General Benjamin H. Grierson was advancing with four thousand cavalry from Mobile and was then about at . . . — Map (db m82872) HM
Absalom Pratt built this house 8 miles west of here circa 1835 though a section was constructed earlier. It was moved to this site in 1994 by the Cahaba Trace Commission, restored by the Alabama Historic Ironworks Commission, 1997-98, and dedicated . . . — Map (db m37078) HM
The Bibb County Iron Company under the direction of C. C. Huckabee of Newbern, Alabama, constructed a furnace here and poured the first iron in November 1862. Within a year, the Confederate government purchased the works and completed a second and . . . — Map (db m37090) HM
Nathan Bedford Forrest attacked Col. Streight’s column as it crossed Locust’s swift waters, causing the Federals to make tremendous exertions to complete the movement, contributing thereby to Streight’s eventual surrender of his entire command to . . . — Map (db m28320) HM
1813: Colonel John Coffee and 800 Tennessee Volunteers see Bear Meat Cabin Cherokee Settlement near Blountsville
1816: Town settles around square
1820: Newly named Blountsville becomes county seat
1827: Town incorporated with Trustee System . . . — Map (db m49176) HM
Three prowling Union soldiers invaded home of sister-in-law of Celia and Winnie Mae Murphree taking food, drink; killing two colts.
When soldiers fell asleep, these two young girls took rifles, marched soldiers to headquarters of General . . . — Map (db m83226) HM
Drill Ground of the Midway Guards 1860, later Company B 15th Alabama C.S.A. ordered to Richmond. Second Company 1861 assigned to Company C 45th Alabama C.S.A. ordered to Army of Tennessee. These and many later volunteers met the enemy in . . . — Map (db m89636) HM
Log Cabin Museum
Early settlers of this area cleared land and built their first homes of logs in the early 1830s. This cabin was built by Reuben Rice Kirkland (1829-1915) about 1850. He and his first wife had ten children while living in . . . — Map (db m60969) HM
Confederate Park was created in 1897 as a joint effort of the Father Ryan Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the City of Greenville, with First United Methodist Church providing the Park . . . — Map (db m70749) HM
Front: Our Confederate Dead
Back: To the memory of Butler Co's Confederate Soldiers
West: Erected 1903 by the Father Ryan Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
East: Dead, but his spirit breathes;
Dead, . . . — Map (db m70768) WM
This regiment took part for four years in major battles of Virginia theater. It served with distinction for dash and courage, suffering heavy casualties.
Officers at regiment’s organization June 4, 1861 at Montgomery, Alabama;
Colonel John . . . — Map (db m36465) HM
This house, "Ten Oaks", was headquarters for Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard, Oct. 15-23, 1864, when he coordinated the movement of Gen. J.B. Hood's army, then marching across northeast Alabama enroute to Nashville. He and his retinue, including Gov. I.G. . . . — Map (db m29919) HM
Jacob Forney III lived and operated a thriving mercantile establishment at Jacksonville from 1835-56 on the south-east corner of the square. He and his wife Sabina Swope Hoke were the parents of nine children.
1. Daniel Peter - b. Feb. 24, 1819, . . . — Map (db m36450) HM
Life here has long centered on education beginning in 1834 when a one-acre plot of land was reserved for a schoolhouse. Through the years, various institutions of higher learning developed that culminated into present-day Jacksonville State . . . — Map (db m36429) HM
Lawyer, Soldier, Senator
← Lived here in 1838
1862-63 Colonel of
51st Alabama Cavalry
Raised by him in this county
1863-65 Brigadier General C.S.A.
with Wheeler’s Cavalry
1876-1907 United States Senator
Distinguished . . . — Map (db m36468) HM
Maj. John Pelham
killed at the battle of Kelly's Ford
March 17, 1863
Front base: Pelham
Erected by the General John H. Forney Chapter U.D.C. Jacksonville, . . . — Map (db m23588) HM
The Depot was constructed in 1860 by the Selma, Rome and Dalton (GA) Railroad. It was used as a transfer and storage point for Confederate troops and materials during the War Between the States. — Map (db m36443) HM
Prominent citizen of Jacksonville who served Alabama as Brigadier General, State Militia; member Legislature and Pres. of Senate; Circuit Court Judge; and Pres. Ala. and Tenn. Railroad
He owned extensive cotton plantations and mining interests . . . — Map (db m29921) HM
Brigadier General C.S.A.
With Army of Virginia 1861-1865.
Wounded in battle five times.
He was one of four distinguished sons
of Jacob Forney and Sabina Swope Hoke
of Jacksonville who held commissions
in the Confederate Army.
. . . — Map (db m36480) HM
The furnace was constructed by Montgomery businessman Alfred A. Janney, reportedly using slaves brought from Tennessee by a "Dr. Smith." The furnace was completed and ready to produce pig iron when, on July 14, 1864, a Union cavalry raiding force of . . . — Map (db m25544) HM
LaFayette Cemetery, also known as Westview, began in 1934 with the death of Miss Sarah Gipson. Many early pioneers and veterans of East Alabama are buried here including Revolutionary War Patriot Capt. Alexander Dunn, Col. Charles McLemore, . . . — Map (db m83263) HM
The Confederate States of America in 1862 commissioned the Noble Brothers of Rome, Georgia to erect a cold blast furnace to produce needed pig iron for the war effort.
The skilled labor was detailed from Confederate army personnel. It is . . . — Map (db m83267) HM
This marks the place where Gen. N.B. Forrest with 322 men captured Col. A.D. Streight with 466 men May 3, 1863. Erected by Forney District Ala. United Daughters of The Confederacy June 3, 1939 — Map (db m12306) HM
Cavalry engagement here among fiercest of war.
To defend arsenal at Selma Forrest (CSA) charged with 1500 into Wilson (USA) moving south with 7500.
Forrest was seeking to delay Wilson pending arrival of scattered (CSA) units.
Forrest in . . . — Map (db m37617) HM
Cleburne County was created December 6, 1866, and was named for Confederate Major General Patrick R. Cleburne. He was born March 17, 1828 in Ireland. He was the South's highest-ranking foreign-born officer and one of the best of any nationality. . . . — Map (db m83273) HM
The only battle fought in Coffee County during The War Between the States.
Just east of this spot, at the branch head, a battle occurred between the Coffee County Home Guards and Ward’s Raiders, a group of Confederate deserters who had . . . — Map (db m83328) HM
Bullet - marked tombstones in this cemetery show evidence of a brisk skirmish here Oct. 26, 1863, when Gen. P.J. Osterhaus's first division of Sherman's Corps came under fire from Gen. S.D. Lee's Confederate troops. CSA artillery on a hill near a . . . — Map (db m83329) HM
This is the site of LaGrange College Chartered in 1830 by act of the Legislature of Alabama An Institution of High Order for men attended chiefly by students from the southern states.
The college was burned April 28, 1863 by Federal Cavalry . . . — Map (db m83333) HM
Capt. Benjamin F. Little, a former Confederate soldier, opened a store here after the railroad from Tuscumbia to Russellville was built in 1887. A train station and several houses were soon erected. A rail spur provided access to . . . — Map (db m68954) HM
In 1832, the Alabama legislature authorized the Florence Bridge Company to construct this bridge across the Tennessee River. In 1840, it opened as a toll bridge. Twice damaged by storms, it was reopened in 1858 as a double-decked . . . — Map (db m40596) HM
The area around the Big Spring was inhabited by prehistoric Native Americans as early as 10,000 years ago. The first settlement was a French trading post and Indian village about 1780 on Cold Water Creek (Spring Creek) near the . . . — Map (db m83396) HM
This congregation was organized in the 1830's, with services being held in private homes and the Methodist meeting house. The present building was first used in October 1852 and completed the following year. During the Civil War, Union troops . . . — Map (db m28422) HM
west of Alleghenies
1832 ~ begun here; completed to Decatur, 45 miles east, in 1834.
Cotton shipped by this line around nearby Muscle Shoals, then by boat down Tennessee ~ Mississippi R to world markets.
1851 ~ expanded to . . . — Map (db m28413) HM
This burial ground was designated on General John Coffee's 1817 survey and original map "Plan of a Town at the Coldwater Spring." The oldest tombstone carries the burial date 1821 and the cemetery contains graves of veterans from all wars beginning . . . — Map (db m28567) HM
The Louise Short Baptist Widows’ and Orphans’ Home, consisting of a 10-room brick residence and related buildings on 80 acres of land fronted on Main Street, Evergreen, for more than ¼ mile.
It was established by the Alabama Baptist State . . . — Map (db m81293) HM
Here Gen. Forrest (C.S.A.) overtook Col. Streight’s raiders (U.S.A.). In hand-to-hand battle after dark 3 horses shot from under Forrest, Union forces fled southward with Forrest in relentless pursuit. — Map (db m33802) HM
Pursuit and Union Col. Streight’s defense, from Battle Ground (26 M. - NW) to capture at Lawrence (80 M. - East) - said to be greatest cavalry fight in modern warfare. It passed here May 1, 1863. — Map (db m33801) HM
Named after a Civil War Battle fought April 30, 1863, between Confederate troops commanded by General Nathan Bedford Forrest and Union troops commanded by Colonel Abel D. Streight. Confederates lost 50 to 75 men killed or wounded. Union lost 30 men. . . . — Map (db m33807) HM
(Front):Veterans Memorial Bridge - 1921This reinforced concrete river bridge, thought to be the first in Alabama. Was erected over Pea River in 1920-21 at a cost of $92,108.97. It was dedicated on August 3, 1921 as a memorial to the 57 men . . . — Map (db m36511) HM
Town on the Hill - 1843
Newton was hub of Dale County activities from 1843 until 1870. During War Between the States (1861-1865), Newton was center of recruiting, including the Home Guards. In March 1865, local militia repulsed . . . — Map (db m71586) HM
North Face Confederate Dead West Face In memory of the Dale County Confederate soldiers, who fought in the War Between the States from 1861 to '65. South Face These were men who, by the simple manhood of their lives, by their . . . — Map (db m36564) HM
Site of Alabama's first permanent capital 1820-26. County seat Dallas County, 1820-66. Prison for Union soldiers during the War Between the States 1863-65. Indians were the first inhabitants over 4000 years ago. Their large fortified village could . . . — Map (db m75779) HM
This engraving of the Union Prison at Cahaba was published in 1877 by Benson J. Lossing. The stockade had already been removed, so the details of the brick structure are visible. The artist apparently was in a boat in the Alabama River, behind you . . . — Map (db m83506) HM
The Union soldiers held captive in Cahaba's Civil War Prison, called the place Castle Morgan in honor of a daring Confederate raider. In 1888 Jesse Hawes published a book about his imprisonment in Castle Morgan. He drew this diagram from memory. . . . — Map (db m22668) HM
In 1858, the railroad company graded away an Indian mound that stood here. A brick warehouse was built in its place. From 1863 - 1865 the Confederate government used this warehouse to hold captured Federal Soldiers. You are standing on a pile of . . . — Map (db m22666) HM
In 1866, shortly after the Civil War and a severe flood, the county seat was moved from Cahaba to Selma. Residents rapidly abandoned the town. Many homes were dismantled and reassembled elsewhere.
Despite this trend, returning Confederate . . . — Map (db m83516) HM
On January 20th, 1865, Major Hanchett lead a daring, but unsuccessful escape from the military prison that was located on this spot.
He was then moved to the dungeon of the county jail, located on First North Street. In March the other Union . . . — Map (db m22669) HM
This Greek revival mansion was built c. 1853 for William B. King and named “Fairoaks” for the many trees found about the place. King was the nephew of Vice President William Rufus King. Ann B. Wilson, a half-sister of the builder, . . . — Map (db m83521) HM
Anvil used in Selma’s Confederate Arsenal to make armament for Southern forces.
Presented to Sturdivant Museum Association April 1, 1961 by the Southern Railway Company which as the Selma, Rome and Dalton Railroad Company purchased the anvil . . . — Map (db m37690) HM
This memorial marks the site of the Arsenal, a unit of the Great Ordnance Works in Selma destroyed by the Union Army April 6, 1865.
These ordnance works stood second only to those of Richmond in the manufacture of war materials for the . . . — Map (db m37661) HM
"Of all the nights of my experience, this is most like the horrors of war — a captured city burning at night, a victorious army advancing, and a demoralized one retreating. ...this Sunday night nearly gone, will be remembered. If there is a . . . — Map (db m82744) HM
Here fell brave men
in defense of their homes
April 2, 1865.
Col. William T. Minter
Rev. Arthur M. Small
Robert N. Philpot
and other valiant soldiers
“They fought and fell
they served us well" Lest We . . . — Map (db m83576) HM
Edmund Winston Pettus, lawyer, General C.S.A., U.S. Senator, was born Limestone County, Alabama, 1821.
Admitted to bar, 1842.
Moved to Cahaba, 1858.
Major, C.S.A., 1861.
Brigadier General, 1863.
U.S. Senator, 1897-1907.
Resided here . . . — Map (db m38273) HM
Highlights of Selma History
Dallas County was created by Territorial Legislature Feb. 9, 1818. Selma Land Company formed Mar. 19, 1819 by George Phillips, William Rufus King, Jesse Beene, Gilbert Shearer and Caleb Tate. . . . — Map (db m37679) HM
By 6pm General James H. Wilson had moved the 4th U.S. Cavalry, down Summerfield Road through the outer works and had ordered Captain Robinson of the Chicago Board of Trade Battery to do the same. After the main assault most of the regiments of . . . — Map (db m81930) HM
This was the residence of John Tyler Morgan (1824-1907), one of Alabama’s most honored political and military leaders. Constructed in 1859 by Thomas R. Wetmore, it was purchased by Morgan in 1865, and served for many years as his principal . . . — Map (db m37676) HM
Central Masonic Institute of Alabama acquired property 1847 and erected building. Confederate Hospital during War Between the States. Dallas County Courthouse (1866-1901) on removal of County Seat from Cahaba. Presbyterian High School for Boys in . . . — Map (db m37656) HM
Hardie's Reserve Cavalry Battalion, about 500 strong were ordered to Selma from Talladega. They were placed along the railroad track to the right and Left of the Depot. This makeshift defensive line was made of the railroad bed, the Depot, cotton . . . — Map (db m82756) HM
East portion reserved for graveyard, 1829; west part purchased City of Selma, 1877.
Here are buried:
William Rufus King, 1786-1853, Vice President of U.S. 1853.
John Tyler Morgan, 1824-1907, U.S. Senator, Brig. Gen. C.S.A.
Edmund . . . — Map (db m37653) HM
Defender of Selma
Wizard of the Saddle
The First With the Most
This monument stands as testament of
our perpetual devotion and respect
for Lt. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest
CSA, . . . — Map (db m92363) HM WM
This Greek Revival dwelling was built c. 1850 by Dr. Albert Gallatin Mabry, a prominent physician and member of the Alabama Legislature. Dr. Mabry was a leader in organizing the Alabama State Medical Association and instrumental in passing . . . — Map (db m83580) HM
Redoubt No. 15 located just to the west of Summerfield Road was defended by Colonel Pinson's 1st Mississippi Cavalry Regiment of Anderson's Brigade. Their 400 men held positions on the west side of the road and the rest of . . . — Map (db m81925) HM
At prominent positions, earthen forts were built with artillery in position to cover the ground over which an assault would have to be made.
Redoubt No. 24 anchored the City's defenses at the junction of Valley Creek & the . . . — Map (db m83581) HM
Confederate Army Captain James White was ordered to relocate the old Federal Arsenal from Mt. Vernon, Alabama. By 1865 it consisted of 24 buildings and had over 500 workers including men, women, boys, girls, FMofC and slaves. It made or contracted . . . — Map (db m82750) HM
This boulder marks the site of the Selma Navy Yard and the Ordnance Works destroyed by the Federals 1865This tablet is placed in honor of the memory
of hundreds of faithful men who made these
great works a base for war material for the
entire . . . — Map (db m37688) HM
Patton, a member of Shockley's Escort Company of the University of Alabama, was killed in a clash with the 4th Iowa Cavalry at the corner of Washington Street and Alabama Avenue. In November 1865 his father, Robert Miller Patton, was elected the . . . — Map (db m83587) HM
following the Battle of Selma, April 2, 1865. This occupation protected the hotel from the arson and looting in the first 24 hours that destroyed much of downtown. In the next week Wilson methodically burned the huge military/industrial complex that . . . — Map (db m80792) HM
Side A The original church, built one block south of the present site, was consecrated in 1843 by Bishop Leonidas Polk. In 1861, the second Bishop of Alabama, the Rt. Rev. Richard H. Wilmer, was elected there. During the Battle of Selma, St. . . . — Map (db m37691) HM
The Lightening Brigade of the 2nd Division would spearhead the attack between Redoubts No. 13 - No. 16. Artillery covered all the approaches. At 5 p.m. General Long ordered the Second Division forward. "As Long's Second Division charged . . . — Map (db m83682) HM
Cast Aug 24, 1863 in Selma at the
Confederate Naval Gun Foundry under
direction of Commander Catesby ap R. Jones.
Was the first gun shipped from the Selma
Foundry. Served as stern pivot gun on the
Selma-built ironclad ram CSS . . . — Map (db m37678) HM
Selma’s Water Avenue is one of the finest surviving examples of a 19th century riverfront street in the south. Located here are structures which reflect the architectural trends in commercial buildings from 1830 to 1900.
This was the main . . . — Map (db m37669) HM
This Italianate style cottage was built in 1859 by C. B. and Martha Todd White. Mrs. White, half sister of Mrs. Abraham Lincoln, was an outspoken Southern patriot, who subjected the Lincolns to severe criticism, when the Northern press accused her . . . — Map (db m38274) HM
Robinson Springs Camp
These lent our cause it's Holy Consecration
Volunteers from Robinson Springs Community,
Abercrombie, Leonard ∙ Allen, James M. Co. D. 21 Ala. Regt. ∙ . . . — Map (db m83692) WM
Brigadier General Birkett Davenport Fry, CSA
In his lifetime General Birkett D. Fry was a cadet at Virginia Military Institute and West Point; 1st Lt. (U.S. Infantry) in Mexican War; lawyer in California; . . . — Map (db m95112) HM
Only Confederate armory not destroyed during the Civil War.
Col. Gorgas, ordnance chief, had carbine shop moved here into Tallassee Mfg. Co. mill in spring, 1864 as war threatened Richmond, Va. armory.
War ended before plant neared goal of . . . — Map (db m83722) HM
Built, 1856, dedicated 1857, combining exterior Gothic style with Greek Revival interior. Original part designed as a rectangular block. Wings were added on eastern and western sides in the middle 1900's. At that time a choir rail replaced original . . . — Map (db m67943) HM
In 1834, the Wetumpka Toll Bridge Co. built the first of four bridges spanning the Coosa River at this site. It was destroyed in a flood in 1844. A second toll bridge was completed the same year by John Godwin whose slave, . . . — Map (db m69449) HM
Settled by A.J. Hall in 1852 and occupied by Confederate troops because of its value as a railroad stop during the War Between the States (1861-65), Canoe was the site of a March 27, 1865 encampment of Union forces. The 1870s brought expansion . . . — Map (db m72265) HM
A pre Civil War structure, this is the oldest church building remaining in Escambia County, Alabama. Confederate veterans related stories that mules and horses were sheltered inside during harsh winter months. Circuit riders served the church in the . . . — Map (db m84388) HM
Located 1½ miles south, town of Pollard established 1861 at juncture of Alabama & Florida and Mobile & Great Northern railroads. Named for Charles T. Pollard, builder of Alabama & Florida Railroad.
One of largest military training camps of . . . — Map (db m84371) HM
Here on the morning of May 2, 1863 Emma Sansom braved the fire of Colonel Streight’s sharpshooters as she guided General Nathan Bedford Forrest and his gallant cavalrymen to the ford at this spot where they crossed Black Creek, at that time a raging . . . — Map (db m39340) HM
In memory of the Gadsden Alabama girl heroine Emma Sansom, who when the bridge across Black Creek had been burned by the enemy, mounted behind Gen. Forest and showed him a ford where his command crossed. He pursued and captured that enemy and . . . — Map (db m12297) HM
The surrounding area and this well was part of Turkey’s Town, once a capital of the proud Cherokee Nation. Chief Turkey was the principal chief during the late 1700’s.
On October 25, 1864, the Turkey Town Valley Expedition of the XV Corps Union . . . — Map (db m83740) HM
On the night of May 2nd and the morning of May 3rd, 1863, John Wisdom rode 67 miles, from Gadsden, Ala. To Rome, Ga. Under very harassing conditions, to warn the citizens of Col. A. D. Streight’s proposed march to burn and sack the city, Rome being . . . — Map (db m41001) HM
By appointment of Tuscaloosa Presbytery, November 18, 1848 Rev. J. L. Kirkpatrick and Rev. C. A. Stillman organized a Presbyterian Church at Pleasant Ridge, Alabama.
There were thirteen charter members. Services were held in a home near site of . . . — Map (db m92649) HM
Built in 1828-29 by John Gayle,
sixth governor of Alabama.
Amelia Gayle Gorgas,
wife of Gen. Josiah Gorgas,
Chief of Ordnance, CSA,
mother of Wm. Crawford Gorgas,
US Surgeon General who freed
Canal Zone of yellow fever. . . . — Map (db m83754) HM
This parish established 1830.
Third oldest in Alabama diocese.
Church consecrated in 1843 by
Leonidas Polk, Bishop of Louisiana,
(later a Confederate general).
Here Nicholas H. Cobbs was chosen
first Bishop of Alabama in 1844. . . . — Map (db m33747) HM
To those who made
the supreme sacrifice
1917 - World War - 1918
Till the day breaks and
the shadows flee away
Erected by Headland Chapter, U.D.C.
To the soldiers of the Confederacy . . . — Map (db m71871) WM
Old Center Methodist Church
The church was organized in 1859. The first building was a log structure located just NW of the present building. In the 1870's it was part of the Newton Circuit and was served by a minister who lived in the . . . — Map (db m71831) HM
Vital Memphis-Charleston Railroad, "backbone of Confederacy", spanned Tennessee River here. Bridge burned several times, 1862-3.
Gen. Mitchell (US), occupying Huntsville after Battle of Shiloh, seized Bridgeport in April 1862 and held it . . . — Map (db m83788) HM
(Front): Before the courthouse was completed, the community selected a location for a cemetery. The highest elevation in Bellefonte's corporate limits was chosen as the town's burial place. The earliest inscribed marker in Bellefonte Cemetery . . . — Map (db m83790) HM
The History of Paint Rock, Alabama
Originally Camden circa 1830, the post office was renamed Redman in 1846 and became Paint Rock on May 17, 1860. After the Memphis and Charleston Railroad Co. built a depot and water . . . — Map (db m69756) HM
The Memphis and Charleston Railroad Company constructed the Scottsboro Railroad Depot in 1860-1861 as a passenger and freight facility. The rail line ran throughout the Confederacy and the Union considered its capture vital to cutting off supplies . . . — Map (db m22258) HM
Constructed by the Union Army in the summer of 1862 and expanded in 1864, using soldiers and freed slaves, Ft. Harker was built on a broad hill a quarter mile east of town. It overlooked Crow Creek and was well within firing range of Stevenson's . . . — Map (db m83795) HM
A one-story depot building was constructed here in 1853, when the railroad was first laid through Stevenson. That building burned after the Civil War and was replaced by the present brick depot and hotel in 1872.
During the Civil War, Stevenson . . . — Map (db m22271) HM
Stevenson was a major supply station and staging ground for decisive campaigns and battles of the Civil War. This small house, called "The Little Brick," was alive with activity when General William S. Rosecrans relocated his command here on . . . — Map (db m87983) HM
Dr. Mortimer Harvie Jordan and his wife, Florence E. Mudd, constructed their home between 1906 and 1908. After service in the Confederate army, Jordan studied medicine in Cincinnati and New York (under Alabama's famous gynecologist, Dr. J. Marion . . . — Map (db m26743) HM
First blast furnace in Jefferson County erected near this site (1863) by Red Mountain Coal and Iron Co. Destroyed (1865) by Federal troops: rebuilt (1873) and second furnace added. Successful experimental run made in Furnace No. 2 (1876) using local . . . — Map (db m27280) HM
(front): United Confederate Veterans Camp Hardee No. 39 Camp Hardee No. 39 was organized as a camp of the United Confederate Veterans on August 7, 1891. This cemetery plot was acquired by the camp to provide a final resting place for the men . . . — Map (db m12487) HM
Gen. James H. Wilson, USA, having crossed the Tennessee River with a large force of well equipped cavalry, grouped them here at Elyton.
Their mission: to destroy Alabama's economic facilities for supporting the War.
From these headquarters he . . . — Map (db m24358) HM
Established about 1850, Wear Cemetery is located off Old Springville Road to the northeast at Countryside Circle. In the 1800's the Wear family was among the first settlers of the community later known as Clay. Twenty-three remaining graves were . . . — Map (db m25113) HM
Union Hill Cemetery is the burial ground of many pioneers and early settlers of the Shades Valley area. It was established in the 1870s, but includes gravestones dating back to the early 1850s due to the relocation of two earlier, smaller cemeteries . . . — Map (db m83873) HM
Jonathan Bass was born January 30, 1837, in Jefferson County. His father arrived in Jefferson County in 1816, and Jonathan was a life-long resident. Although the Bass House was under construction as early as 1863, Jonathan left the farm to join the . . . — Map (db m24697) HM
In 1821 the first settlers came to this area, later called Waddell. Large numbers of people first migrated here in 1863 with the construction of the Irondale Furnace. Destroyed in the Civil War, the furnace was rebuilt and operated from 1867 to . . . — Map (db m26769) HM
Wallace S. McElwain (1832-1888)McElwain trained in a gun factory in New York and in a foundry in Ohio before moving to Holly Springs, MS, where he operated Jones, McElwain and Company Iron Foundry. He was well known in the Southeast for his . . . — Map (db m26266) HM
In honor of the men from Mt. Pinson who formed the "Jefferson Warriors" in mid-July, 1861. Marching to Huntsville, they were mustered into the Confederate army on August 12th as Company C of the Nineteenth Alabama Infantry Regiment under the command . . . — Map (db m26988) HM
Pinson, one of Alabama’s oldest communities, was settled by General Andrew Jackson’s soldiers in the early 1800s, after victory at Horseshoe Bend during the War of 1812. The community was originally known as Hagood’s Crossroads for settler Zachariah . . . — Map (db m88406) HM
On this site stood the stone warehouse of Captain Thomas Truss and Marcus Worthington. Stored here were meats, grains and clothing collected by the Confederate government as a war tax. Disabled C.S.A. veteran Felix M. Wood was receiver of the tax at . . . — Map (db m25819) HM
Center Star was spelled Centre Star into the 1900s. The name evolved from the US Postal Service, which served remote areas by "star routes." The Post Office here, which existed from 1850 to 1914 (except between 1902 and 1913), . . . — Map (db m82398) HM
Settlement of this area began in the early 1800s. Gabriel Butler settled approximately two miles northwest of here on Bluewater Creek. His name is found on the 1810 petition for removal of white settlers leasing land on Chief . . . — Map (db m83934) HM
This "double- pile cottage" is a rare Alabama example of Tidewater architecture that originated along the Southern seaboard during the colonial period. This house was built in 1833 by Thomas J. Crowe, proprietor of the early National Hotel in . . . — Map (db m83962) HM
George Washington Foster, planter, built this Greek Revival Mansion. An Act of the legislature was required to close Court Street, In fall of 1864 it was headquarters of Nathan B. Forrest, General, CSA. Foster's daughter, Sarah Independence McDonald . . . — Map (db m28868) HM
When the city was surveyed this land described as "outside the city limits" was designated as the burying grounds for the new town. It contains the graves of early settlers, including a son and brother of Ferdinand Sannoner, Surveyor of Florence, . . . — Map (db m83968) HM
Following his tragic defeat at Franklin and Nashville, General John B. Hood managed to escape over the Tennessee River at Bainbridge Ferry, a few miles south of here on December 26, 1864. Two corps under General Benjamin Cheatham and Stephen D. Lee . . . — Map (db m35258) HM
Built by Andrew Jackson, 1816~1820. Shortened by 200 miles the route from Nashville to New Orleans for movement of supply wagons and artillery.
Built with U.S. funds and troops.
Followed in part Doublehead's Road from Columbia, Tenn., to Muscle . . . — Map (db m65290) HM
This bottom land serves as a reservoir for TVA's flood control program.
Florence leases it for recreational purposes when not being used by TVA.
Major Robert McFarland, a native of Ireland, his wife, Kate Armstead McFarland, and their seven . . . — Map (db m28453) HM
Built by John Simpson in 1843, on the site of his earlier home, this residence was occupied at various times by both armies during the Civil War. Purchased in 1867 by George W. Foster, builder of Courtview, for his daughter, Virginia, and her . . . — Map (db m45808) HM
This area is the military cemetery for Confederate Soldiers. After an 1862 skirmish in the streets of Florence, it was used to bury casualties until the end of the Civil War. Many unknown Confederates and a few unknown Union soldiers rest here. . . . — Map (db m28402) HM
Home of Major John Brahan, veteran War of 1812.
Major General, Alabama Militia, who owned 4,000 acres here. Built of bricks made on the place, marble mantels imported from Italy, boxwood hedge from London. Named for spring nearby.
Federal and . . . — Map (db m28404) HM
Chartered 1856 as Florence Wesleyan University, R.H. Rivers, President. Regarded as North Alabama's most eminent landmark, this Gothic Revival Structure was designed by Adolphus Heiman, Nashville, And built by Zebulon Pike Morrison, Florence, as new . . . — Map (db m28864) HM
Prior to the repeal of the Militia Act in 1902, states maintained their own militia. One of the last militia in Florence and Lauderdale County was the Wheeler Rifles.
Organized in 1888, under the command of Captain Julian Fields, it was named for . . . — Map (db m32774) HM
Approximately 1.5 miles north of here, across Bluewater Creek near CR76, is the location of an early settlement known as Mitchell Town named for the Mitchells who settled there. In 1833, Samuel Herston owned land in the area which . . . — Map (db m90837) HM
"Trusted, honored, and loved by the people of Alabama for his splendid character and distinguished service as a citizen and soldier." Born September 10, 1836, in Augusta, Georgia, Joseph Wheeler graduated from West Point in 1859, . . . — Map (db m84295) HM WM
At this site from mid-January to mid-March 1865, Maj. Gen. James Harrison Wilson, U.S. Army, assembled the largest cavalry force ever massed in the western hemisphere. Five divisions totaling 22,000 camped from Gravelly Springs westward to Waterloo. . . . — Map (db m32770) HM
One of Alabama's oldest and most picturesque town cemeteries, this site was set aside as a burying ground by the Courtland Land Company in its original survey made prior to the incorporation of the town in 1819. Many of the area's . . . — Map (db m84304) HM
Dedicated to the men of Lawrence County, Alabama,
from all walks of life, who left kith and kin,
hearth and home, and lost their lives in military service
for the Confederate States of America during
the War for Southern . . . — Map (db m84311) WM
General Leroy Pope Walker was born 7 Feb 1817 in Madison County, Al., son of John W. Walker (1784~1823). John was House Speaker of the AL Territory, the first constitutional convention president, the first US AL senator, and namesake of Walker . . . — Map (db m69669) HM
Born on this site about 1820 to Phillip and Sarah Roddy, Phillip Dale Roddy grew up in poverty. His father a saddle maker and War of 1812 veteran, was one of the earliest murder victims in Moulton. Phillip Dale was raised by his mother and received . . . — Map (db m69674) HM
On 26 Apr 1863, a Union raiding party of 1500 including the 51st and 73rd IN, 3rd OH, 18th IL, and local men from two companies of the 1st AL Calvary left Tuscumbia for Russellville. Led by Col. Abel Streight, their objective was to cut Confederate . . . — Map (db m84318) HM
Only one house was built in the village in the decade after the Civil War, and though the state took over the bankrupt college in 1872, the institution received no state appropriation until 1883. . . . — Map (db m79947) HM
The University Chapel is the oldest public building in the city of Auburn. Built as a Presbyterian Church, the first service was held in the original Greek Revival-style building on September 13, 1851. Edwin Reese, spiritual leader . . . — Map (db m39831) HM
This simple frame structure was built by newly freed black men and women before 1870. The property on which the building stands was given to a member of the Ebenezer congregation in 1865, the year the War Between the States . . . — Map (db m74450) HM
At the Auburn train depot on February 16, 1861, Jefferson Davis reviewed the Auburn Guards, the first Confederate military company thus honored. Davis was en route to his inauguration as President of the Confederacy. The Auburn Guards were comprised . . . — Map (db m74455) HM
Built in Selma, Alabama, during the early part of the Civil War for the manufacture of military supplies for the Confederate Army. During the war an attempt was made to move it to Columbus, Georgia to prevent its being seized by Federal troops. En . . . — Map (db m39815) HM
The Railroad Avenue Historic District was the downtown nucleus of Opelika when the city was incorporated as part of Russell County, Alabama in February, 1854. The city limits extended a mile in every direction from the Montgomery . . . — Map (db m85336) HM
With orders from Gen. Sherman, Gen. Lovell Rousseau left Decatur with 2,700 cavalry, beginning his raid into East-Central Alabama. That raid ended successfully in Opelika July 19, 1864, after miles of track were destroyed along with other railroad . . . — Map (db m75126) HM
created Feb. 6, 1818 by Alabama Territorial Legislature from lands ceded by Cherokee Nation 1806 and by Chickasaw Nation in 1816. Named for creek (and its limestone bed), which runs through county.
Few settlers here until Indian treaties.
Athens . . . — Map (db m29109) HM
This church was organized in 1829 as a Cumberland Presbyterian church by the Revs. Robert Donnell, John Morgan and Allen Gipson.
After first using an interdenominational building, a church was built on West Washington street in 1852.
This was . . . — Map (db m85386) HM
On May 2, 1862, Union troops of the 19th and 24th Illinois and the 37th Indiana Regiments commanded by Col. John Basil Turchin went on a rampage through the town. They looted and plundered stores and homes, stealing clothing, jewelry and anything of . . . — Map (db m85387) HM
(Side A): Athens was incorporated in 1818, one year prior to the admission of Alabama as the 22nd state. It is the seat of Limestone County, created by an act of the Alabama Territorial Legislature. Athens has a legacy of providing quality . . . — Map (db m85388) HM
Wealthy and influential Virginia family settled here in 1820's. Daniel Coleman (1801-1857) built his stately home a block west about 1826. During the Civil War, home was occupied by Yankee troops who took Elizabeth Coleman's teeth for their gold . . . — Map (db m85389) HM
The Confederate Circle in Athens City Cemetery contains graves of over 50 soldiers killed in or around Athens during the WBTS, 8 unknown. Around 1898 ladies of the local UDC were working in the cemetery when bones, believed to be soldiers, were . . . — Map (db m94159) HM
From the 1850s to the 1970s, the Louisville & Nashville Depot was located between Market and Washington streets. The building has been used as a dress ship, a photographer's studio, and in 2004 was remodeled for the Limestone County Archives. . . . — Map (db m93878) HM
Fort Henderson Built on this site in 1863 by federal forces occupying Athens. It was a five-sided earthen fort with some frame buildings and underground bomb-proofs. Abatis lined the fifteen-foot deep perimeter ditch, a small portion of which . . . — Map (db m41787) HM
The second Confederate Monument was erected in June 1912. This view shows the intersection of Market and Marion streets.
The 4-H'ers parade their cattle on the courthouse lawn in 1959. Judges were on hand to give a blue ribbon for the best . . . — Map (db m93881) HM
Built abt. 1849 by Rev. Robert Donnell, a native of North Carolina, and his second wife Clara Lindley Donnell. He was greatly inspired by the Great Spiritual Revival of 1800 and became a Presbyterian circuit rider, one of the . . . — Map (db m72159) HM
This cistern is the last remnant of Trinity School located here 1865-1907. The cistern was used to store rainwater collected from the roof. No physical evidence remains of the Ross Hotel, the Chapman Quarters, and other buildings on this block, . . . — Map (db m72219) HM
On Sept. 25, 1864 Gen. N.B. Forrest's Confederate cavalry, with Morton's battery of 4 guns, attacked and captured the Union fort near here. The fort consisted of a square redoubt, rifle pits, two blockhouses, and some frame buildings. It protected a . . . — Map (db m60870) HM
Front The earliest settlers to this area moved across the Chickasaw boundary before 1810 and established the Sims and New Garden settlements. The area came to be known as Elkmont, for the once abundant elk, the Elk River and the "mount" on . . . — Map (db m85426) HM
Old New Garden Cemetery
This cemetery is one of the oldest in Limestone County and is listed on the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register. Many of the areas earliest settlers are buried here including Patsy Elmore, widow of a . . . — Map (db m73836) HM
The first known burial here is Nancy Vinson Christopher who died May 16, 1852. Many unmarked fieldstones are present that could mark older graves. The cemetery contains 52 identifiable burials with headstones. Five Confederate soldiers and one WWII . . . — Map (db m71991) HM
Hemmed in by superior forces Forrest's fast~moving cavalry raided and destroyed Union supply lines and strong points, captured 2,360 men, valuable Stores.
By swift action, surprise and bluff Forrest disrupted Union military plans from Decatur to . . . — Map (db m29104) HM