HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
French and Indian War Markers
513 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers are listed. Next 263
Ontario (Essex County), Amherstburg — The WyandotLes Hurons de Detroit
This area was once the home of the Wyandot, remnants of the Huron, Neutrals, and Petuns who were dispersed by the Iroquois in the 1640's. Some eventually reunited and settled along the Detroit River, where they became known as the Hurons of Detroit, or Wyandot. After the fall of New France, the Wyandot became supporters of the British during the American Revolution although many remained neutral in the War of 1812. In the 1840's a number of the Wyandot were moved to a reserve in Kansas while others stayed to help develop this region. — Map (db m37340) HM
Ontario (Essex County), Windsor — French Settlement on the South Shore
Front - In English Windsor is the oldest known site of continuous settlement in Ontario. The government of New France, anxious to increase its presence on the Detroit River, offered land agricultural settlement on the south shore in 1749. That summer families from the lower St. Lawrence River relocated to lots which began about 6.5 km downstream from here. Along with civilians and discharged soldiers from Fort Pontchartrain (Detroit), they formed the community of La Petite Cote. . . . — Map (db m37343) HM
Ontario (The Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Fort Niagara
Across the Niagara River is the imposing American stronghold, Fort Niagara. Originally built by the French, then occupied by the British, and finally by the Americans, this fort for nearly 150 years stood guard over the traditional supply route to the Upper Great Lakes. — Map (db m53630) HM
Ontario (The Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Lieutenant-Colonel John Butler 1725-1796
Born in New London, Connecticut, Butler settled in the Mohawk Valley, New York, in 1742. Commissioned in the British Indian Department in 1755, he served in the Seven Years War. At the outbreak of the American Revolution , he was compelled to leave his estates and was ordered to Fort Niagara. In 1777 he organized the Loyalist Corps known as Butler's Rangers. By the end of war, this Unit with British Regulars and Indian Allies, had effectively contributed to the establishment of British control . . . — Map (db m49165) HM
Ontario (The Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — The Fortified Mouth of the Niagara River
The St.Lawrence and Great Lakes system was the most efficient route to the interior of the continent of North America. Large waterways allowed for substantial sailing vessels to trade and maintain contact with Native allies from Montreal to the Mississippi with minimal portages and transhipment in smaller boats. The one great obstacle along the chain of waterways was Niagara Falls whose dramatic height required some control of the land to allow for a portage around the escarpment and the falls . . . — Map (db m53624) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), New Fairfield — New Fairfield Veterans Memorial
They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn them. French & Indian War Samuel Fairchild Militia K.I.A. Aug. 4, 1759 Burmell Barnum Militia K.I.A. Aug. 4, 1761 Civil War Frederick C. Barnum Cpl. U.S. Army K.I.A. June 22, 1863 Augustus E. Bronson U.S. Army K.I.A. June 1, 1864 Edward Griffin Pvt. U.S. Army K.I.A. July 5, 1863 William B. Leach U.S. Army K.I.A. June 19, 1864 Henry H. Hyatt U.S. Army K.I.A. June 22, 1864 Homer B. Barnum . . . — Map (db m23063) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Wilton — Major Samuel Comstock
In Memory Of Major Samuel Comstock 1739 --- 1824 A Private In The French and Indian War A Captain In The Revolutionary War July 1776 --- June 1783 Serving At White Plains Germantown Fort Mifflin Valley Forge Monmouth Yorktown Commissioned Major October 10, 1783 His Wife Mercy Mead 1741 - 1816 — Map (db m30471) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Goshen — Goshen French and Indian War & Revolutionary War Memorial
[ front ] Dedicated To Our Comrades Of Goshen Who Established And Maintained Freedom For Our Country French And Indian War 1754 - 1763 Dibble, Joel • Doud, John • Gaylord, Timothy • Humphrey, Ashbel • Humphrey, Manna • Humphrey, Unknown • Lee, Daniel • Munson, John • North, Elisha • Reeve, Benjamin • Richards, Charles • Royce, Josiah • Stanley, Nathaniel, Jr. • Tuttle, Stephen • Wilcox, John Jr. • Wilcox, Moses • Wilcox, Thomas • Winchell, Munson • Wright, John Revolutionary . . . — Map (db m30231) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Cheshire — Town of Cheshire Memorial Plaza
Honoring Our Veterans 1754 French and Indian War 1763 Reuben Hitchcock • Edward Parker • Ephraim Parker 1775 Revolutionary War 1783 Asa Bellamy • Justus Bellamy • Reuben Bellamy • Silas Bellamy • Asa Bronson • Elisha Cowles • Amos Parker • Edward Parker • Elisha Parker • Samuel Parker • Elisha Parker, Jr. • Jesse Parker, Jr. • Jesse Parker, Sr.* 1861 Civil War 1865 Nelson Beach 1940 World War II 1946 Francis R. Rocco 1950 Korea 1955 Roger (Deschesnes) Deshane • . . . — Map (db m22406) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Christiana — N.C. 52 — Samuel Patterson
Operated flour mill one-fourth mile south. Was captain in French and Indian War. In American Revolution was member of Boston Relief Committee, colonel of Delaware battalion of famous "Flying Camp," Brigadier General of Delaware militia and first treasurer of Delaware State. Died 1785. Buried in Presbyterian Cemetery at Christiana. — Map (db m67210) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Northwest — The Road to Fort Duquesne — [National Cathedral]
This memorial was erected in 1907 by the Society of Colonial Wars in the District of Columbia to mark the road over which on April 14, 1755 a division of the British Army under General Braddock marched on its way to Fort Duquesne. — Map (db m55534) HM
Georgia (Seminole County), Donalsonville — Sabacola El Menor
Located in Seminole County, near the forks of he Chattahoochee and Flint Rivers, was a town of Hitchiti-speaking, Lower Creek Indians. A Spanish mission, Santa Cruz de Sabacola el Menor, was established there in 1675. By 1685, English traders from Charles Town had contact with the Lower Creeks. The English in Carolina and the Spanish in Florida were both seeking the alliance of the tribe. Reverse side: Spanish efforts to establish missions further up the Chattahoochee were . . . — Map (db m17834) HM
Illinois (Edgar County), Chrisman — Pontiac Peace Treaty
A few miles west of here on July 18, 1765, Pontiac, an Ottawa Chief, and George Croghan, British Representative, met in a formal peace council which ended the most threatening Indian uprising against the British in North America. Following the French and Indian War (1754 - 1763), many Indian tribes showed dissatisfaction with British rule. Indian leaders believed the land belonged to the Indians and that the French and British occupied it only by their consent, but the British had no intention . . . — Map (db m10997) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Site of Last French Fort
Erected, 1750, by Captain Raimond Surrendered to the British under Lieutenant Butler in 1760. Ensign Richard Holmes and British garrison massacred by Miami Indians in 1763. The most severe engagement of battle between Gen. Josiah Harmar and Miamis under Little Turtle fought here, Oct. 22, 1790. — Map (db m21036) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The First French Fort / The First Playground in Fort Wayne
[Left side of marker]:The First French Fort The French lived among the Miami at the Three Rivers as early as 1697 when Jean Baptiste Bissot, Sieur de Vincennes (d. 1719), and Francois Marie Bissot de Vincennes, the son of Jean Baptiste (d. 1736), served as royal agents to the Miamis. The first fort was built in 1722 on this site by Capt. Dubuisson upon the orders of the French governor in Quebec. The fortification was called Fort St. Philippe or Fort Miamis, was garrisoned by . . . — Map (db m26867) HM
Kansas (Wyandotte County), Kansas City — The History of the Wyandot Indian Nation
Tablet 1 The Origins of the Wyandots The story of the Wyandot Nations is both heroic and bitter. Once among the greatest of Indian tribes in northeast America, a warrior race whose influence reached from Canada to Kentucky, the Wyandots were betrayed by time, circumstance, and the White man. Today, more than three hundred years after their Golden Age, the Huron Indian Cemetery and Huron Place mark the worldly end of their last great dream. The history of the Wyandot . . . — Map (db m72957) HM
Kentucky (Garrard County), Paint Lick — 1526 — Fort Paint Lick
Side 1: 500 ft. north is site of log fort and stockade built by Lt. Col. Wm. Miller. Born in Virginia, he came to Kentucky with Daniel Boone's party and helped mark a trace to Boonesboro; served with Capt. James Estill in Battle of Little Mountain. Miller surveyed land for the fort in 1776. Other early settlers were George Adams, Wm. Champ, and Alexander Denny. Over. Side 2: Fort Paint Lick - First settlers found Indian signs painted on trees along creek banks and . . . — Map (db m67835) WM
Kentucky (Madison County), Richmond — 1578 — Col. Richard Callaway / First Ferry in Kentucky
(south side) Col. Richard Callaway Born in Caroline County, Virginia, in June 1722, Richard Callaway served in French and Indian wars and as a colonel in Revolutionary War. He was a member of Virginia House of Burgesses and one of the first settlers of Boonesborough. In process of building his ferry, Callaway was killed by Indians, Mar. 8, 1780, and buried near here. Presented by Society of Boonesborough (north side) First Ferry in Kentucky . . . — Map (db m72632) HM
Kentucky (Madison County), Richmond — 1685 — Grave of Hancock Taylor
On Taylor's fork of Silver Creek, .7 mi. east, is burial place of Hancock Taylor. This pioneer was at Falls of Ohio in 1769 enroute to New Orleans and surveying in Ky. by 1773. A deputy surveyor under Wm. Preston, he was near mouth of Ky. River when shot by Indians in July 1774. Taylor rejoined party, and these companions brought him just south of Richmond, where he died. — Map (db m67802) HM
Kentucky (Pendleton County), Butler — 953 — British Indian Raid
In countermove, 1780, to control northwest, British Capt. Henry Bird with 150 troops and 1000 Indians came from Detroit, by river in June. From here, they marched to Ruddle's and Martin's Station, to the south, captured 470 settlers. Returned here, captives divided, families separated. The British took some to Detroit, remainder scattered among Indian villages. — Map (db m67666) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Bienville MonumentBienville Place
[On base of statue]: Jean Baptiste LeMoyne de Bienville born Montreal, February 23, 1680 died Paris, March 7, 1767 Founder of New Orleans 1717 with homage of Louisiana * Canada * France — Map (db m23885) HM
Maine (Cumberland County), South Portland — Early Settlement
The largest 17th century settlement in Cape Elizabeth - which included South Portland and Cape Elizabeth prior to 1895 - was established in 1658 near Spring Point. However, the onset of the French and Indian Wars in 1675 necessitated frequent evacuations south to the garrison at Spurwink. After King Philip's War, 1675-1678, this area remained destroyed and deserted. Nine families who resettled at the Point faced a disastrous Indian attack in 1703 in which 25 settlers were killed and 8 captured . . . — Map (db m55673) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Prospect — Pemtegwacook
Native Americans first paddled dug-out canoes up and down the Penobscot River about 8,000 years ago. Seeking rich hunting and fishing grounds, these people had come to live on the wooded shores of the river and bay. Archaeology has revealed traces of early Native American settlements from Bangor downriver to Penobscot Bay. A site on the bay's North Haven Island is among the most intensely studied. There, between 4,500 and 4,000 years ago, a sizable group of people lived year-round and . . . — Map (db m55129) HM
Maine (York County), Biddleford — A Stone Fort
was built in 1693 rear of this place near the banks of the Saco River as a refuge from the Indians — Map (db m55700) HM
Maine (York County), Biddleford — 4 — Fort Saco in 1693 / Le Fort Saco en 1693The Museum in the Streets
The Indians burned the township of Saco in 1688. Fort Saco was built on the future site of the Laconia Mills to protect the settlers in 1693. The fort served as stables during the construction of the Laconia mills in 1841. Yo Cat Gully in the north and the Saco river in the east protected the fort. Further north of the fort was Ram-Cat Hill, the future site of the Pepperell Mills. Opposite the fort on Factory Island, walls built by the French and the Indians laying siege to the fort persisted . . . — Map (db m55718) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — "Braddock's Road"
Near this point on June 10, 1755, after nearly a month's delay at Fort Cumberland, Braddock's troops started toward Fort Duquesne to wrest it from the French. On July 9, 1755, he met his terrible death at the Monongahela. — Map (db m31908) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Col. Joshua Fry
Memorial in honor of Col. Joshua Fry Born c. 1700 in England 1731 • Professor of mathematics at William and Mary College, Planter in Albemarle County, Virginia, Member of House of Burgesses, First presiding judge of Albemarle County, Commander of militia, Surveyor 1746-51 • Col. Fry and Peter Jefferson surveyed and produced first map of Virginia. 1752 • Joshua Fry, Lunsford Lomax and James Patton were chosen to make a treaty with the Six Nations at Logstown (Lancaster)which permitted the . . . — Map (db m54023) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Col. Thomas Cresap
In Memory of Col. Thomas Cresap Pathfinder - Pioneer - Patriot - Built the first home and fort in this county at Oldtown, about 1740 Surveyed the first trail to the west, starting near this spot in 1751 His Sons - - - Daniel Cresap for whom Dan's Mountain is named Thomas Cresap, Jr. killed in battle with the indians on Savage Mountain Michael Cresap Captain in Dunmore's War, first captain in rifle battalions, Revolutionary War, whose grave is in Trinity Churchyard New York City . . . — Map (db m17778) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — French and Indian War — Fort Cumberland Trail
"A volley fired by a young Virginian in the backwoods of America set the world on fire" Fort Cumberland was built as a direct result of hostilities between the French and British over control of the Ohio Valley. The British king granted land in that area to The Ohio Company and settlers moved to the area. The French began forcing them out leading to armed hostilities. Actions taken by Governor Duquesne of New France and Lt. Governor Dinwiddie of Virginia and their representatives caused . . . — Map (db m17683) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — George Washington at Will’s Creek — Fort Cumberland Trail
Our founding father spent much time in this vicinity when a young man as surveyor, ambassador, aide-de-camp to General Braddock, and commander of Virginia military forces. This cabin served as his headquarters during part of this time. Young George was a skilled surveyor by the age of sixteen. He assisted in laying out the town of Alexandria, Virginia, and came to our area in 1748 to survey and layout the Fairfax manors in the South Branch Valley. He slept in a "straw bed" with lice and fleas . . . — Map (db m17719) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Headquarters of George Washington
As colonel under General Braddock at Fort Cumberland during the French and Indian War 1755 - 1758 and as Commander-in-Chief of the American Army in 1794Presented to the City of Cumberland by James Walter Thomas, L.L.D.; Litt.D. dedicated April 21, 1921 in the presence of General John J. Pershing Commander of American Armies Major C.E.D. Bridges Military Attache of British Embassy Hon. Albert C. Ritchie Governor of Maryland Dr. Thomas W. Koon Mayor of Cumberland Judge . . . — Map (db m17724) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Palisado Fort or Stockade — Fort Cumberland Trail
Most of the early frontier forts were of the palisado type. Before you is a small sample of this type construction. A palisade is a fence of pales or stakes set firmly in the ground, as for enclosure or defense. The word usage in the 1700's was palisado fort while later usage in the 1800's referred to stockade fort. A stockade is defined as a defensive barrier made of strong posts or timbers fixed upright in the ground. Fort Cumberland and Fort Necessity were palisado works. Fort Necessity . . . — Map (db m17782) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Perimeter of the Fort — Fort Cumberland Trail
You stand upon historic ground within the north wall of Fort Cumberland. Your location (X) is shown on the diagram. Lines of barracks (I), parallel with the street, were to your front and in the rear along the line of white rocks in the street. The land was fairly level then on top of a hill extending out from the church property in front of you. The fort here was a palisado work with logs stripped and pinned together and rising to a height of twelve feet. Fort Cumberland mainly served as a . . . — Map (db m18758) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — President Washington's Last Visit - 1794
Center Plaque On October 16, 1794, President George Washington arrived in Cumberland to review about 5,000 troops of the Maryland and Virginia militia gathered here during th Whiskey Rebellion. A few days later, this militia army assembled upon the parade ground of old Fort Cumberland, where the Allegany County Courthouse now stands. The President appeared dressed in his full military uniform, and the entire population of the town was present to witness this historic event. General . . . — Map (db m17456) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Site of Fort Cumberland
The store houses of The Ohio Company were first located near this point. In 1754 the first fort (called Mt. Pleasant) was built. Gen'l Edward Braddock enlarged the fort in 1755 and renamed it after his friend the Duke of Cumberland. — Map (db m53575) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The Fort Proper — Fort Cumberland Trail
The fort proper was the bastioned work at the west end of the fort. It was to your left (primarily on the site of the Church of Christ Scientist). Besides the four bastions (b) and the joining walls, there were four buildings for provisions (6), two guardrooms (7), the commander's quarter (5), the fort parade ground (8), the sally port (SP: gate), and the main gate (MG). More facilities, four more gates (g), and barracks for 200 men were in the east end of Fort Cumberland. Additional . . . — Map (db m17679) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The Parade Ground of Fort CumberlandOccupied this site 1755
Here the Indian envoys were received before Braddock left for his defeat. In 1756-58 the garrison under Col. Washington was still reviewed here. — Map (db m17453) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — This Tablet Marks the Site of Old Fort Cumberland
Which was built in 1755 by order of the British Government and named in honor of the Duke of Cumberland, Captain General of the British Army. It was the base of military operations of General Edward Braddock and Colonel George Washington in the French and Indian War. — Map (db m18733) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Washington’s Road
By order of Colonel Bouquet, George Washington’s troops opened this road from Fort Cumberland to Reas-town (Bedford, Pa.) during July 1758. Bouquet and Washington conferred half way between these places July 30, 1758. — Map (db m6106) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Blazing Braddock's Road
“We this day passed the ‘Aligany’ Mountain (Big Savage Mountain) which is a rocky ascent of more than two miles, in many places extremely steep…” Captain Robert Orme, June 15, 1755 British General Edward Braddock led a 2,100-man army through this wild country in 1755. The troops intended to dislodge the French from the “Forks of the Ohio” (Pittsburgh) almost 100 miles away. They were blazing a new trail, forever known as “Braddock’s Road.” As . . . — Map (db m5013) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Martin’s Plantation
General Braddock's 2nd camp on the march to Fort Duquesne June 14th, 15th, 1755. The old Braddock Road passed to the southeast of the National Road from Clarysville to the "Shades of Death" near "Two Mile Run." The National Road was begun by the Government in 1811. — Map (db m440) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), La Vale — “Spendelow Camp”Also Called “Camp at the Grove”
General Braddock’s 1st camp on the march from Fort Cumberland to Fort Duquesne, June 11th to 13th, 1855. After building a road over Wills Mountain, Spendelow, an engineer, discovered a route by “The Narrows” and Braddock’s Run and a second road was opened. — Map (db m2083) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Oldtown — Michael Cresap(1742–1775)
He built his house, which can be seen nearby, about 1764. A trader, he cleared wilderness and fought Indians in “Cresap’s War” in Ohio, 1774. As a Captain he led riflemen, some painted Indian-style, to Boston at the start of the Revolution. Because of failing health he attempted to return home but died on the way and is buried in Trinity Churchyard, New York City. A brick addition to the house was built about 1781. — Map (db m448) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Oldtown — Old Town(King Opessa’s Town)
Fording place for “Great Warriors Path” from New York to the South. Thomas Cresap built stockade fort here in 1741 used as a refuge during French and Indian War after Braddock’s defeat. George Washington was here on his first visit to Maryland 1748 and often thereafter. — Map (db m447) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Dundalk — Battle of North Point1814
Who Dies for Country, doth not yield To death’s uncompromising sway He soars Immortal from the field And dwells untouched by time’s decay               Wm. M. Marine This one-acre of the North Point Battlefield was set aside in 1839 to commemorate those who risked and gave their lives to defend their homes and country from an invading British Army. On September 12, 1814, the 5th, 27th, 39th, 51st Regiments of Maryland Militia, engaged in battle with the British on . . . — Map (db m2136) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Braddock Heights — The Braddock-Washington Monument
In April 1755, Frederick Town was a planning center for a major campaign in the French and Indian War (175-1763). General Edward Braddock arrived from England and later 1,400 British Troops joined him to stop the French from taking land claimed by Britain. While in Frederick for twelve days, General Braddock met with several people including Maryland Proprietary Governor Horatio Sharpe, Benjamin Franklin, and Colonel George Washington. Washington joined with Braddock's command. In May 1755, the . . . — Map (db m68946) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Braddock, Washington, and Franklin
On April 23, 1755 At a Tavern located near this spot General Edward Braddock Colonel George Washington and Benjamin Franklin Met to plan the British assault on Ft. Dusquesne During the French & Indian War This plaque erected by the Kiwanis Club of Frederick June 8, 1998 — Map (db m2725) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Evangelical Lutheran Church
This tablet is erected to the Glory of God and in grateful recognition of those who organized this congregation and have maintained it for two hundred years 1738   Congregation organized. 1743   Log church built on the Monocacy. 1746   Log church built on present parsonage site. 1747   Adoption of constitution for congregation drawn by Henry Melchior Muhlenberg. 1752   Stone church begun at rear of this building. Erection halted by French and Indian War. Completed in . . . — Map (db m14022) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — General Edward Braddock
General Edward Braddock traveled over this road in April 1755 (in a coach and six horses purchased from Gov. Horatio Sharpe of Maryland)after a protracted conference in Frederick with Benjamin Franklin and others concerning the securing of teams, wagons and supplies for the expedition against Fort Duquesne. — Map (db m1247) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — This Boulder Marks the National Trail — General Braddock Monument
This boulder marks the National Trail over which traveled Gen. Edward Braddock and Lieutenant Colonel George Washington 1755. — Map (db m22275) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Jefferson — Abraham Lakin 2ndBorn Oct. 16, 1713 or 1722. Died Jan., 1796
Veteran of French and Indian War, early settler, head of family of Revolutionary patriots buried in the cemetery of homestead near here. At outset of the Revolution he and his sons Abraham, Basil, Daniel, John and his nephew Samuel were listed with the Committee of Observation of Middle District of Frederick County. Basil and another son, William, were soldiers. Two of his daughters, Nancy and Sarah, married Revolutionary soldiers. — Map (db m2025) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Finzel — Savage River Camp
General Braddock's 3rd camp on his march to Fort Duquesne June 16, 1755. The route, later known as the Old Braddock Road, passes to the southeast of the National Road. Captain Orme's diary says "we entirely demolished three wagons and shattered several" descending Savage Mountain. — Map (db m439) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Granstville — General Braddock’s 5th Camp
On the march to Fort Duquesne June 19th, 1755. By Washington’s advice, Braddock pushed forward from Little Meadows to this camp with 1200 chosen men and officers leaving the heavy artillery and baggage behind to follow by easy stages under Colonel Dunbar. — Map (db m357) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — Bear Camp
General Braddock's 6th camp on the march to Fort Duquesne Saturday and Sunday June 20th and 21st, 1755. Washington was forced to remain behind with a guard on account of "violent fevers" until cured by "Dr. James's Powders (one of the most excellent medicines in the world)," he wrote his brother Augustine. — Map (db m356) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — Little Meadows
General Braddock's 4th camp on the march to Fort Duquesne June 17, 1755. Washington arrived here after Braddock's defeat July 15th, 1755. Washington also stopped here May 9th, 1754, July 7th or 8th, 1754, October 1st, 1770, November 26th, 1770 and September 10, 1784. — Map (db m361) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Home of Samuel Wade Magruder1728-1792
Lieutenant of Volunteers French and Indian War, Magistrate of the 1st. court, Montgomery County Maryland. 1777; Major of Maryland Battalion; Member of Committee to effect resolutions of first Continental Congress. Janet Montgomery Chapter, D.A.R. — Map (db m72752) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Chevy Chase — Colonel Joseph Belt
1680 Maryland 1761. Patentee of "Cheivy Chace", Trustee of first free schools in Maryland, one of the founders of Rock Creek Parish, member of the House of Burgesses, Colonel of Prince George's County militia during the French and Indian War. — Map (db m70204) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Clarksburg — Dowden’s Ordinary
This tablet marks the site of Dowden's Ordinary Where Gen. George Edward Braddock and Col. Dunbar's Division of the Colonial and English Army made a second encampment In Maryland April 15-17, 1755 Erected by the Janet Montgomery Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution April 15. 1915 [Emblem: D.A.R.] — Map (db m43631) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Clarksburg — Dowden's Ordinary: A French & Indian War Site
On April 15, 1755 a British seaman wrote in his diary:   On the 15th: Marched at 5 in our way to one Dowden's, a Publichouse ... and encamped upon very bad ground on the side of a hill. We got our tents pitched by dark when the wind shifted from the South to the North - from a sultry hot day it became excessively cold, and rained with thunder and lightning till 5 in the morning, when in 10 minutes it changed to snow, which in 2 hours covered the ground a foot and a half. . . . — Map (db m43676) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — General Edward Braddock
General Edward Braddock in April 1755, accompanied by Gov. Horatio Sharpe of Maryland, traveled this road in a coach and six horses, on his way to Frederick, Md. to meet Benjamin Franklin and George Washington, to arrange for teams for the Fort Duquesne expedition. — Map (db m1012) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock and His Men
To commemorate the encampment in Maryland of Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock and his men at Owen's Ordinary, now Rockville, April 20, 1755. This stone is placed by the Janet Montgomery Chapter, Daughters of he American Revolution, Mrs. Morris L. Croxall, Regent, July 9, 1913. — Map (db m77) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Richard Montgomery1738 - 1775
Born in Ireland; served in the British Army in the French & Indian War. Joined the American Revolution as the most experienced general in the Continental Army. Led the invasion of Canada where he was killed in the Battle of Quebec, becoming the first general to die in the Revolution and America's first national hero. When Maryland's constitutional convention split Frederick County into three parts the following year, they named the western third Washington and the eastern third Montgomery, the . . . — Map (db m50480) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Pool — Fort FrederickMaryland State Park
Colonial stone fort built 1756 for Province of Maryland by Gov. Horatio Sharpe to protect frontier against French and Indians after Braddock’s defeat. Detention camp for British prisoners 1776–83. Occupied 1861–2 by Union troops. George Washington was here July 1756 and June 1758. — Map (db m681) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Pool — Fort FrederickA Witness to War
Built by the Maryland colony in 1756 during the French and Indian War, Fort Frederick’s stone walls surrounded three large buildings. The colonists abandoned the frontier fort in 1759, when the threat of Indian raids subsided. During the Revolutionary War, the fort confined hundreds of British prisoners. The state auctioned the fort and about 100 acres in the 1790s. The property changed hands several times; in 1860, Nathan Williams, a free African American, bought the place and farmed the . . . — Map (db m821) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Pool — Fort Frederick Officers’ Quarters
A Ghost in the Ground. Before you is the foundation of “The Governor’s House,” the building that served as the officers’ quarters, ceremonial hall and storeroom for Fort Frederick. What did that building look like? We know the size and general layout of the building from the foundation. There are only a few historical documents, which mention the building. Of those, the most significant is Samuel Hughes’s 1778 letter, from which we learn that the building was a 2-story timber . . . — Map (db m823) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Clear Spring — Fort FrederickMaryland State Park
Colonial stone fort built 1756 for Province of Maryland by Gov. Horatio Sharpe to protect frontier against French and Indians after Braddock’s defeat. Detention camp for British prisoners 1776–83. Occupied 1861–2 by Union troops. George Washington was here July 1756 and June 1758. — Map (db m680) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Hager’s Fancy(Circa 1740)
Third dwelling was built by Jonathan Hager, founder of Hagerstown Maryland, 1762; Captain of Scouts, French and Indian War, 1755–1763; member of the Non-Importation Association and of the Committees of Safety and of Observation, 1775; member of the General Assembly, Annapolis, 1771–1775. — Map (db m1159) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — Fort Coombe
Fort Coombe, a Maryland stockaded fort of 1755–56 located north of this point. One of the frontier forts during the French and Indian War. The survey of the Mason and Dixon Line during 1763–68 placed it in Pennsylvania instead of Maryland. — Map (db m833) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — Tonoloway Fort
Lieut. Stoddert and twenty men erected and garrisoned a block house and stockaded fort near here on the property of Evan Shelby in 1755 after Braddock’s defeat. It was abandoned in 1756-7 after Fort Frederick was completed. — Map (db m508) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — General Edward Braddock
General Edward Braddock in April 1755 (driven in his coach and six horses) crossed into Virginia near this point on his way to Fort Cumberland, after ten days’ conference with Benjamin Franklin and others in Frederick, Md., arranging for teams and supplies for the expedition to Fort Duquesne. — Map (db m1966) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Norton — First Burial Ground
The First Burial Ground is the presumed buying place of Norton's pioneer settler's.

William Witherell, who died in September 1691, is buried in the West end of the burial ground. When the land was passed to Nathaniel Witherell by his father,the deed stated that the pioneer William Witherell was buried in that place.

In an unmarked grave lies the body of Daniel Woodward, a Revolutionary War soldier.

Originally located in an open field,the burial ground was not fenced in until . . . — Map (db m52379) HM

Massachusetts (Essex County), Billerica — Danforth Homestead1630 - 1930
Site of homestead of Captain Jonathan Danforth, pioneer of Billerica and famous surveyor. "He rode the circuit, chain'd great towns and farms to good behavior; and by well worked stations he fixed their bounds for many generations. " — Map (db m48837) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Rockport — Old First Parish Burying Ground1630 - 1930
Original plot given by the first settler, Richard Tarr, who was buried here in 1732. Here lie most of the early settlers and many of the officers and soldiers of the French and Indian, Revolutionary and 1812 Wars. — Map (db m48841) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Bernardston — Burke Fort1630 - 1930
Six rods easterly stood Burke Fort the first and largest, and also the first building in Fall Town. Built in 1738/39 by John Burke it was six rods square and contained eight houses. Fifty persons took shelter here during the old French and Indian War. — Map (db m48254) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Bernardston — Connable Fort1630 - 1930
Site of the second fort and building in Fall Town, erected in 1739 by Samuel Connable. Its original timbers are still in the house on a knoll to the northwest. — Map (db m48774) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Bernardston — Deacon Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort1630 - 1930
The Lieutenant's son Ebenezer, later deacon of the church and first town treasurer, built a fort ten rods east of here in 1740/41. It was unsuccessfully attacked by Indians in 1746 during King George's War. — Map (db m48777) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Bernardston — Lieut. Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort1630 - 1930
Built in 1740 on this site. The first Proprietor's Meeting in Fall Town was held here in 1741. The Lieutenant's son Eliakim was shot by Indians in 1747 while working west of the fort walls. — Map (db m48011) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Deerfield — Old Deerfield1630 - 1930
Indian land called Pocomtuck, settled by men from Dedham in 1671. Attacked by Indians, burnt, and abandoned in 1675. Reoccupied and attacked in 1704 by French and Indians, who took 47 lives, and carried off 112 captives to Canada, of whom 60 were later redeemed. — Map (db m48012) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Hawley — First Church of Hawley
Site of the First Church of Hawley Erected 1793 Reverend Jonathan Grout 1st Pastor This memorial placed by the sons and daughters of Hawley August 10, 1935 — Map (db m25876) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Northfield — Captain Richard Beers1630 - 1930
Grave of Captain Richard Beers, killed by Indians on September 4, 1675. His monument is on the mountain-side above. — Map (db m48779) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Northfield — First Settlement1630 - 1930
Here, enclosed by a stockade, the first settlement was made in 1673. Nine rods to the westward a fort was built in 1685 and eight rods southeast stood the Indians' Council Rock. — Map (db m48015) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Northfield — Indian Council Fires1630 - 1930
Two hundred and fifty yards eastward are the sites of three large Indian council fires. The Beers Massacre of September 4, 1675, took place in a gorge one-quarter mile to the northeast. — Map (db m48780) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Northfield — Nathanial Dickinson House1630 - 1930
Nathaniel Dickinson lived here nineteen years in a fortified house but was scalped and killed by the Indians on April 15, 1747, at Pachaug Hill. — Map (db m42634) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Shelburne Falls — First Permanent Settlement in Shelburne
Site of First Permanent Settlement in Shelburne, Mass. 1760 Martin Severance 1718 - 1810 Scout in French and Indian Wars Scout with Rogers Rangers Revolutionary soldier Marked by Dorothy Quincy Hancock Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.In cooperation with the town of Shelburne. 1940 — Map (db m59639) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Brimfield — Indian Hill1630 - 1930
Two miles distant on Indian Hill is the site of an Indian stronghold and storehouse for corn, Quaboag Old Fort, and of the Indian village of Ashquoach. — Map (db m48776) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Brimfield — Steerage Rock1630 - 1930
Four miles distant on the summit of East Waddaquodduck Mountain is Steerage Rock, a landmark on the Indian trail which became known as the Bay Path and a guidepost to the pioneer settlers of the Connecticut Valley from Massachusetts Bay in 1636. — Map (db m48775) HM
Massachusetts (Hampshire County), Hadley — Hadley1630 - 1930
Indian land called Norwottock. Settled in 1650 by families from Hartford. The Regicides Generals Goffe and Whalley were concealed for fifteen years in the Pastor's house. — Map (db m48174) HM
Massachusetts (Hampshire County), Hadley — Hadley1630 - 1930
Indian land called Norwottock. Settled in 1650 by families from Hartford. The Regicides Generals Goffe and Whalley were concealed for fifteen years in the Pastor's house. — Map (db m48757) HM
Massachusetts (Hampshire County), Hatfield — Hatfield1630 - 1930
Before 1670 part of Hadley. Thrice attacked by Indians during King Philip's War. — Map (db m48175) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Billerica — Billerica1630 - 1930
Early name Shawshin, originally a part of Cambridge, set off as a town in 1655. Named after Billerica in Essex. — Map (db m48832) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Billerica — John Rogers Homestead1630 - 1930
Near this spot stood the John Rogers homestead, which was destroyed in the Indian massacre of 1695, and the entire family killed. — Map (db m48838) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Wannalancet1630 - 1930
On Wickasee Island (now Tyngs Island) in the Merrimac dwelt Wannalancet, last sachem of the Pennacook Confederacy, and like his father Passaconway, a faithful friend to the English. — Map (db m48022) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Sherborn — Sherborn1630 - 1930
Settled in 1652 and called Boggastow, became a town in 1674. — Map (db m48802) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Woburn — Woburn1630 - 1930
Settled by men from Charlestown under Captain Edward Johnson. Named in 1642 after Woburn, Bedfordshire. Here was born and grew up together Colonel Loammi Baldwin, the Engineer, and Benjamin Thompson (Count Rumford), Philanthropist and Scientist. — Map (db m48764) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Canton — Ponkapoag Plantation1630 - 1930
The north line of Ponkapoag Plantation second of the Apostle Eliot's Praying Indian towns, set apart by the Dorchester Proprietors in 1657. — Map (db m48803) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Oxford — Huguenot Settlement1630 - 1930
Up this road on Mayo's Hill, are the remains of a bastioned fort built by Huguenots driven from France by the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes. Their prosperous settlement was interrupted by Indian attacks in 1696, and finally abandoned in 1704. — Map (db m48787) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Oxford — Old Maanexit Ford1630 - 1930
From this ford branched trails to Woodstock, Brookfield and Sturbridge. This way ran the Post Route established in 1672 "to goe monthly" from New York to Boston. Here, June 5, 1676, Major Talcott's Connecticut troops passed to join the final campaign against King Philip. — Map (db m48784) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Oxford — The Johnson Massacre1630 - 1930
John Johnson and three children were killed by Indians in his house on this spot August 25, 1696. His wife was saved by her brother. — Map (db m48785) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Webster — Chaubunagungamaug1630 - 1930
Site of Praying Indian town established by John Eliot and Daniel Gookin in 1674 and known as Chaubunagungamaug. — Map (db m48783) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), West Brookfield — Fort Gilbert1630 - 1930
Here stood Fort Gilbert, built about 1688 to protect the second settlement of Brookfield from Indian raids. — Map (db m48782) HM
Michigan (Emmet County), Mackinaw City — S0011 — Fort Michilimackinac
This fort, built about 1715, put French soldiers at the Straits for the first time since 1701. French authority ceased in 1761 when the British troops entered the fort. On June 2, 1763, during Pontiac's uprising, Chippewa Indians seized the fort, killing most of the small force, and held it a year. When the British moved to Mackinac Island in 1781, this old fort soon reverted to the wilderness. — Map (db m7670) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — S0080 — Fort Saint Joseph
Built near here in 1686 by the French explorer Duluth, this fort was the second white settlement in lower Michigan. This post guarded the upper end of the vital waterway joining Lake Erie and Lake Huron. Designed to bar English traders from the upper lakes, the fort in 1687 was the mobilization center for a war party of French and Indians. In 1688 it was abandoned, but the site became part of Fort Gratiot in 1814. — Map (db m41194) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0687 — Chapman Abraham / Jewish Soldiers in the Civil War
(front side):Chapman Abraham During the French and Indian War (1754-1763), the British took Canada from France and with it possession of French forts in the western Great Lakes region, including Detroit. The post remained an important center of trade between the British and Native Americans. British trader Chapman Abraham (c. 1723-1783) arrived in Detroit around 1762. Abraham helped to supply British soldiers during the war as a partner of Fort Michilimackinac commissaries Levi . . . — Map (db m33485) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 27 — Fort PontchartrainMichigan Registered Historic Site
The first permanent French settlement in the Detroit region was built on this site in 1701. The location was recommended by Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac, who wished to move the fur trade center south from Michilimackinac. Cadillac's plan was approved by Count Jerome de Pontchartrain, Minister of Marine, for whom the fort was named. The term le detroit (the strait) was applied to the fort and surrounding area; after 1751 the post was known as Fort Detroit. In 1760, as a result of the French and . . . — Map (db m21853) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Fort Rosalie
On bluff to south stood Ft. Rosalie, established by the French in 1716. Became nucleus of settlements from which the Mississippi Territory was founded. Near this marker stood the French warehouse that was a center of bloodshed during the Natchez Massacre of 1729. Dedicated December 11, 1988 by the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution Mrs. D. Kelly Love, State Regent — Map (db m5143) HM
New Hampshire (Cheshire County), Walpole — John Kilburn Cabin
On this field stood the cabin of John Kilburn The first settler of Walpole 1749 Here occurred his heroic defense against the Indians August 17, 1755 Erected by the Abigail Stearns Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution — Map (db m66284) HM WM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), North Haverhill — Ebenezer MacKintosh1737-1816
Born in Boston and a veteran of the 1758 Battle of Ticonderoga. As a known participant in the Boston Tea Party, for his own and his children’s safety, he walked to North Haverhill in early 1774. He later served in the Northern Army under Gen. Gates in 1777. He was a shoemaker by trade and practiced his vocation here for the rest of his life. He is buried nearby in Horse Meadow Cemetery. — Map (db m65834) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), North Haverhill — Rogers Rangers
The rivers’ junction two miles north was rendezvous for Rogers Rangers after their destruction of St. Francis, Que., Oct. 4, 1759. Pursuing Indians and starvation had plagued their retreat and more tragedy awaited here. The expected rescue party bringing food had come and gone. Many Rangers perished and early settlers found their bones along these intervales. — Map (db m65835) HM WM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Charlestown — Captain Phineas Stevens
This tablet commemorates the successful defense of the fort on this site by Captain Phineas Stevens and his company of rangers against a large war-party of French and Indians April 7-10 1747 — Map (db m66278) HM
New Hampshire (Sullivan County), Charlestown — Fort at No. 4
In 1744 the settlers at No. 4 (now Charlestown) built a great log fort enclosing many of the town's dwelling. The fort, northernmost in the Connecticut Valley, was besieged in 1747 by a large force of French and Indians, who were beaten off by the 31-man garrison in a 3-day battle. The fort was never again attacked. — Map (db m66279) HM WM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), New Hampton — Major General Daniel MorganCommander of the Famed Morgan Rifle Corps
Born in this Village of New Hampton, Lebanon Township, NJ in 1736. Died in Winchester, VA July 6, 1802. Military Service French and Indian War Revolutionary War Battle of Quebec, Canada Captured 1775 Distinguished himself in the Battle of Saratoga, NY 1777 Victor at the Battle of Cowpens, SC 1781 — Map (db m17920) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Old Barracks
Built in 1758 for British troops of the French and Indian War. Hessians were quartered here before the Battle of Trenton. — Map (db m3756) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Old Barracks
Built in 1758 for British troops of the French and Indian War. Hessians were here at the Battle of Trenton. — Map (db m28026) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Riverdale — Fort
A big house was built here in 1756 to protect the settlers from the anticipated attacks of the French and Indians. — Map (db m62866) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Frankford Township — Augusta Hill Baptists
In 1750, several families left the Congregational Church of Mansfield, CT relocating to New Jersey with William Marsh, their spiritual leader. Building a log meeting house here, they associated with the Baptist faith in 1750. As the church prospered, members were released to establish congregations in Wantage, Hamburg and Newton. In 1830, the congregation relocated to Lafayette, citing a better location for river baptisms. The cemetery was used for three generations of the Morris family, . . . — Map (db m26434) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Green Township — Thomas Woolverton's Tavern
In 1735, Royal Governor Jonathan Belcher ordered Sussex County's Government and Courts to be moved from Log Gaol to the tavern - house of Thomas Woolverton (1717-1760). Justice of the Peace and Tax Collector, until a permanent Courthouse was erected in Newton in 1765. This move arose from disputes between County Freeholders and Jonathan Petit, a surveyor and land-speculator, who attempted to secure personal and economic benefit from locating the County Seat on his lands. Due to ongoing . . . — Map (db m27284) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Sandyston Township — Old Mine Road
Built about 1650. Bell House – has housed nine generations of same family. Minisink Village – white men and Indians lived together. Minisink Island – in river to the west. Westbrook Fort – during French and Indian War in rear of barn. Ennis House – Home of first school teacher in Sussex County one-half mile south. Normanock Fort – During French and Indian War one mile south. — Map (db m27279) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Stillwater — Casper Shafer(1712 - 1784)
Casper Shafer, a German emigrant settled this area circa 1742. By 1750, he built this stone house, later fortifying it with a stockade during the French and Indian War. His first grist mill, built 1743, was located upstream, replacing it in 1764 with a larger structure at the present site. This profitable enterprise shipped goods by flatboat down the Paulinskill and Delaware Rivers to Philadelphia. The mill rebuilt in 1844 after a fire was the last operating grist mill in New Jersey. A strong . . . — Map (db m26448) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Walpack Center — Wallpack, N.J.
Wallpack Township, formed in 1731 out of Hunterdon County, included the present townships of Montague, Sandyston and the former Pahaquarry. The Delaware River forms the western boundary and the Old Mine Road, supposedly built by Dutch miners before 1664, traverses the township. Anna Symmes, Mother-in-law of President William Henry Harrison, is buried in the Old Shapanack cemetery. In 1757 Jonathan Hampton constructed this road through the village to connect Elizabethtown and Morristown . . . — Map (db m49024) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Fort Frederick
Fort Frederick Governor Edmund Andros Made an Inspection in Albany in 1676 and Found Fort Orange, Located Near the Foot of Madison Avenue in Poor Condition. He Ordered a New Fort Constructed at a Site in the Center of State Street Just West of Lodge Street. After Being Reconstructed Several Times, the Fort Was Removed Following the Revolution in 1784. — Map (db m5248) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Van Schaick Mansion
1735 - 1927 Van Schaick Mansion Home Of John G. Van Schaick and his Wife Anna Patriot Americans Built by Anthony Van Schaick Son of Goosen Gerritsen original patentee Headquarters August 18-September 8-1777 Northern Department Continental Army General Philip Schuyler General Horatio Gates Here was planned the Saratoga Campaign And here August 19-1777 General Gates assumed command From this place August 15-1777 General Benedict Arnold and his force . . . — Map (db m7250) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — Loudoun Ferry Road
1755 Constructed as Military Road from Albany to Lake George by Provincial Troops from New York, New England and New Jersey under command of Major General William Johnson ——— Named in honor of Major General John Campbell, 4th Earl of Loudoun. Commander in Chief of His Majesty's Forces in America, French and Indian War ——— 1776 General Henry Knox's Train of Artillery crossed here to aid General George Washington in the . . . — Map (db m24514) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Westfield — At This Point
The French Portage built by Celoron in 1749 and rebuilt in 1753 descended the bank and crossed Chautauqua Creek Map (db m57177) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Westfield — The French & Indian War 1756-1763A Fight for the Continent
Waterways to the Interior Rivers and lakes served as the superhighways of the 18th century. Many rivers and lakes in the Colony of New York either bordered New France (Canada), or connected the bordering water bodies to the interior of the Colonies and the continent. All parties involved in the war exploited these routes to attack their respective enemies. The French "...defending their frontiers." French . . . — Map (db m57233) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Westfield — The Old Portage Road
Built by Celoron in 1749 when he explored and claimed this region for France. Followed an Indian Trail and crossed the highway at this point in 1753. Map (db m57155) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Westfield — The Old Portage Road
Built by Celoron in 1749 when he explored and claimed this region for France, followed an Indian Trail and crossed the highway at this point. In 1753 it was rebuilt by the French for military purposes Map (db m57171) HM
New York (Clinton County), Champlain — Point au Fer Historic Site
This wasn't always the quiet, peaceful place you find today. Point au Fer was once an important strategic military post. The northern half of Lake Champlain used to be controlled by the French. On June 6, 1760, during the French and Indian War (1754-1763), British Army Major Robert Rogers and his rangers engaged a French force nearby at Scales Point and pushed them into Canada. After 1763, Britain controlled all of lake Champlain, including Point au Fer. In 1774, the British built a . . . — Map (db m48732) HM
New York (Clinton County), Champlain — The "White House"
In 1774, a two-story white stone garrison was built here by the British, fortified by American Gen. John Sullivan with entrenchment and stockade in 1776 and destroyed by fire in 1805. British occupation 1774 - 1775 and 1776-1796. American occupation May 1775 - Oct. 1776. Encampment of the British Army June 1777 during Burgoyne's Campaign to Saratoga. Also near here at Scales Point was Rogers' Rangers Battle of June 6, 1760. — Map (db m49069) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Joncaire Trading Post
Near here the Frenchman Chabert Joncaire in 1758 set up the first white establishment on the site of Buffalo. Evacuated 1759 at the approach of the British. — Map (db m57151) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — “His Majesty’s Fort of Crown Point”
“The fort is of wood, built in a most masterly manner. It has five Bastions, mounts 105 guns, and has casements for 4,000 Men, and to hold provisions de Guerre et de Bouche for four months. Within the Fort are good Stone Barracks for Officers and Men which … would conveniently contain 500 men.” Journal of Lord Adam Gordon August 1765 “There is a Large Fort begun. The Foundation is laid … built with timber and earth and is 25 feet thick. It is to be built twenty . . . — Map (db m11442) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — Capture of Fort St. Frédéric
This tablet is erected by the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New York AD 1912 to commemorate the capture of Fort St. Frédéric and the erection of this fortress AD 1759 by the British and Provincial Army commanded by General Sir Jeffrey Amherst. British Regiments 1st QR the Royal Regiment of Foot, 17th Regiment of Foot Forbes, 27th Inniskilling Regiment of Foot, 42nd Royal Highlanders – Black Watch, 55th Regiment of Foot – Prideaux, 77th Regiment Montgomery’s . . . — Map (db m9336) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — Crown Point: Military Focus
The most practical mode of travel and communication through the wilderness separating French Canada and British North America during the 18th century was by water. The Sorel (Richelieu) River, Lake Champlain, Wood Creek, and the Hudson River furnished a direct water route from Montreal to Albany, broken by portages around the rapids at Chambly on the Sorel and between the southern end of Wood Creek and the Hudson at Fort Edward. An alternative route by way of Lake George involved an additional . . . — Map (db m11434) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — Fort St. Frédéric
Fort St. Frédéric consisted of an outer, bastioned stone wall enclosing the Citadel, a four-story, eight-sided tower with walls twelve feet thick at the base. Cannon were mounted on each floor of the Citadel, and entry was gained by a drawbridge over a dry ditch. This fortress-within-a-fort contained living quarters for officers and men, a bakery, armory, and storerooms. Swivel cannon were mounted around the perimeter of the fort’s walls. British expeditions led by General William Johnson . . . — Map (db m11415) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — Israel Putnam
182 feet north of this spot stood the oak to which Israel Putnam was tied and tortured by the Indians in 1758 — Map (db m9340) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — The Barracks
These barracks were constructed in the fashionable Georgian style of the day, uncommon in the northern interior of New York in the mid-18th century. The soldiers’ barracks is composed of four dwelling units of four rooms. Each doorway opens into a hallway flanked by two rooms. Originally, the hall contained a stairway to two rooms on the second story. Between twelve and eighteen soldiers occupied each room. Officers were allowed one or more rooms according to rank, and non-commissioned . . . — Map (db m11443) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — The French at Crown Point
In 1730, the French erected a small wooden fort at Point a la Chevelure, now Chimney Point, Vermont, thereby taking control of territory claimed by Great Britain under the terms of the Treaty of Utrecht (1713). The following year, construction of Fort St. Frédéric was begun on the western shore of the lake. Completed by 1737, the fort was garrisoned by about one hundred officers and men. For the next quarter-century, raiding parties originating from this post, such as the one which burned . . . — Map (db m11435) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — “The Black Watch”A.D. 1925
The Saint Andrews Society of Glens Falls, N.Y. erected this tablet to commemorate the heroic gallantry of the 42d Regiment of Foot better known as “The Royal Highlanders” of “The Black Watch” who on July 8, 1758 lost here in killed and wounded over six hundred of the thousand men engaged. -------------------------------- Mortally wounded on that day was their Major Duncan Campbell of Inverawe the hero of one of the most noted ghost stories of Scottish History and of . . . — Map (db m9561) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — “The Black Watch”
Sacred to the memory of the gallant Highlanders of the 42nd Regiment of Foot “The Black Watch” From a regiment a thousand strong 205 died and 287 were wounded July 8, 1758 assaulting the French lines on the heights of Carillon - Their Glory Shall Never Die - ---------- The Black Watch Council of Ticonderoga The Society of Colonial War in the State of New Jersey The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New York July 6, 1997 — Map (db m9579) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — A Soldier of France
Here lie the bones of a soldier of France found under the Northwest Bastion of the Fort in November 1900 Rest in Peace — Map (db m9654) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Abercrombie's Landing
Fifteen thousand men landed here to attack Ticonderoga which was successfully defended by Montcalm July, 1758 — Map (db m45273) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Artillery Park
Along this site in July, 1759, British forces under Amherst erected an artillery battery to attack the French Fort at Carillon, which they seized and named Fort Ticonderoga. — Map (db m10078) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Carillon Outpost
Major outpost on Lake George, a small palisaded log fort, built in 1756 to defend Fort Carillon from British attack, & named Camp De Contrecoeur, stood in this vicinity. — Map (db m45104) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Death of Lord Howe
Near this spot, July 6, 1758 Lord George Augustus Howe was killed in a skirmish preceding Abercrombie’s defeat by Montcalm at Fort Carillon. — Map (db m6141) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Eighteen Colonial SoldiersR.I.P.
Here are interred the bones of Eighteen Colonial Soldiers found near the Old Military Road in Ticonderoga Village on Nov. 1st 1924 — Map (db m9650) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Fort Carillon
Built by the French 1755-1758 General James Abercrombie defeated by the Marquis de Montcalm, July 8, 1758 Captured by Sir Jeffery Amherst July 27, 1759 and renamed Fort Ticonderoga Captured by Ethan Allen May 10, 1775 Captured by Sir John Burgoyne July 6, 1777 Colonel John Brown repulsed by General Powell Sept. 18, 1777. — Map (db m9447) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Fort TiconderogaHistoric New York
During the 18th century, when nations fought to control the strategic route between the St. Lawrence River in Canada and the Hudson River to the south, the fortification overlooking the outlet of Lake George into Lake Champlain was called “the key to a continent.” The French constructed here in 1755 the stronghold they named Carillon, and made it a base to attack their English rivals. In 1758, Carillon, under Marquis de Montcalm, withstood assault by superior British forces. The . . . — Map (db m9094) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — From this point south…
From this point south, this street follows the route of the Indian carry between the lakes and of Montcalm’s military road traversed by Washington and Franklin during the Revolution. Erected by Ticonderoga Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1925 — Map (db m9090) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — George Augustus Viscount Howe
To commemorate the heroic gallantry and noble character of George Augustus Viscount Howe Brigadier-General of His Majesty’s Forces in America. Killed near Trout Brook two days before the great battle of Carillon July 6, 1758. His death an irreparable loss to the Army. Beloved and honored by the officers and men of both the British and American regiments. Erected by The English Speaking Union of the United States 1958 — Map (db m9562) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Grand Carry Landing
This tablet marks the landing for the grand carry on the Great War Trail between the Indian tribes of the north and south country. It also marks the beginning of that carry between the lakes to avoid the falls and rapids, which later became the Military Road built by the French in 1755. The French saw mill, the first ever built in the Champlain Valley, was erected in 1756 at the foot of the falls on the site of the present mills. In this saw mill, Abercromby had his headquarters during his . . . — Map (db m16309) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Indian Trail
Through this pass to Trout Brook ran an Indian Trail, used by Robert Rogers after Battle on Snowshoes, 1758, on retreat to Ft. Wm. Henry Ticonderoga Historical Society Map (db m9533) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Indian Trail
Battling French & Indians and on retreat from Snowshoe Battle in 1758, Rogers' Rangers crossed over this mountain where Rogers staged his legendary escape at Rogers Rock on Lake George. — Map (db m45765) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Liberty Monument
. . . — Map (db m15593) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Lord Howe’s Grave
On October 3rd, 1889, a workman digging a trench opened by mere accident across the street from this point, a grave which contained the skeleton of a man, and within this grave found, at its head, a stone, now in the Black Watch Library in this village, similar to that shown in relief in the seal on this tablet. On this stone is inscribed in rude letters, evidently picked by a bayonet point the following: “Mem of Lo Howe killed Trout Brook.” George Augustus Lord Viscount . . . — Map (db m9539) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Near this spot stood Montcalm1712 - - - 1759
Near this spot stood Louis-Joseph de Gozon Marquis de Montcalm on the 8th of July 1758. With a small force of French troops and Canadian volunteers, he prevented the capture of Fort Carillon by defeating a much superior British and Colonial army under General James Abercrombie This monument erected in 1927 to honor a brave and gallant gentleman — Map (db m9573) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Old Military Road
Along this street ran the old military road fortified in 1759 by General Amherst prior to the siege at Fort Ticonderoga. — Map (db m9091) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Old Military RoadCrown Point to Ticonderoga — 1689 – 1783
Used by troops during early Colonial Wars and during the American Revolution. — Map (db m9339) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Rogers’ Rangers
Robert Rogers and 74 of his Rangers in Jan. 1757 in this vicinity fought superior French forces for several hours and successfully escaped. Ticonderoga Historical Society Map (db m9537) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Summit of Mount Defiance
Marker #1: Two historic waterways converge at Ticonderoga. Long before the region became important to European powers, Native Americans made a portage here for carrying canoes and gear between Lake George and Lake Champlain. The five-mile-long La Chute River flows out of Lake George, (behind the mountain to your left), and joins Lake Champlain in the estuary below. The river, whose name means “the falls” in French, powered a French sawmill during construction of Fort Carillon . . . — Map (db m19882) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — The Carillon Battlefield
In the mid-18th century, this battlefield was a focal point in the Seven Years’ War, a world war between France and Great Britain. Here the two super-powers struggled for control of the Lake Champlain Lake George water highway, the strategic communication link between New York, the British administrative center, and Montreal, the second largest city of New France. In July of 1758, the British commanded by General James Abercromby, launched an attack on For Carillon (Ticonderoga), the newest . . . — Map (db m9590) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — The French Lines
Built by troops under Montcalm July 6-7, 1758. Repaired by American troops 1776. — Map (db m9565) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Through this entrance . . .
1776                         1929 Through this entrance to the place D’Armes of the fort have passed George Washington, Ethan Allen, Benjamin Franklin, Seth Warner, Benedict Arnold, Major Robert Rogers, Horatio Gates, The Marquis de Montcalm, Anthony Wayne, The Duc de Levis, Arthur St. Clair, Sir Jeffrey Amherst, Henry Knox, Sir Guy Carleton, Philip Schuyler, Major John Andre, Richard Montgomery, Sir John Burgoyne, Thaddeus . . . — Map (db m9449) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Troops of Colonial Wars at Ticonderoga
In tribute to the heroism of the troops under the unfortunate Maj. Gen’l. James Abercromby in the attack on the French lines, July 8th, 1758, to mark the capture of Fort Carillon by Lieut. Gen’l. Sir Jeffrey Amherst July 27th, 1759 and, to record the names of the British and American military units which served in the Colonial Wars at Ticonderoga. This monument is erected by the Society of Colonial Wars 1949 — Map (db m9585) HM
New York (Fulton County), Fish House — "Fish House"
of Sir Wm. Johnson 1500 ft. northeast of this marker built 1762. Village derived name from lodge. Burned by Tories and Indians, 1781 — Map (db m45607) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — A Colonial(Sir William Johnson)
Sent to the Province of New York in 1737, by his uncle Sir Peter Warren for the purpose of supervising landed property in the Mohawk Valley, William Johnson engaged in trade with settlers and Indians.

Prospering in mercantile enterprises, he began the purchase of lands which eventually comprised 210,000 acres in Colonial New York, at the time of his death in 1774.

Commissioned an officer of the Provincial Militia during George's War, he supplied Frontier outposts from Schenectady to . . . — Map (db m52124) HM

New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — A Military Commander(Sir William Johnson)
Hostilities of the Seven Years' War having commenced, Colonel William Johnson was commissioned a Major General of Provincial Forces and assigned to command the Crown Point Expedition against the French, in 1755. After the failure of the other expeditions that year, including the defeat of General Braddock on the Monongahela, Major General William Johnson, at the Battle of Lake George, 8 September 1755, saved the Province of New York from invasion and turned in the only victory for the Crown in . . . — Map (db m52121) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Grave of Sir William Johnson
Grave of Sir William Johnson Baronet 1715 - MASON - 1774 His Indian name Warraghiyagey "he who does much business" Founder of Johnstown St. John's Episcopal Church St. Patrick's Lodge 4 F.&A.M. First Free School Supt. of Indian Affairs Major General British Army Colonel of the Six Nations Builder of an Empire — Map (db m54281) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — In Memory of Sir William Johnson, Baronet.
A man of strong character. A colossal pioneer. One of the greatest men of his time. Sole superintendent and faithful friend of the Six Nations and their Allies. Their Warragiyaey. Founder of Johnstown. He established here the first free school in the state. Born in Ireland, 1715. Died in Johnstown, 1774. — Map (db m57754) HM
New York (Fulton County), Mayfield — Burying Ground
‹— « Burying Ground Graves of Captain Gershom Woodworth, French and Indian and Revolutionary Wars and Sergeant Selah Woodworth of Revolution: Mayfield Pioneer. — Map (db m68208) HM
New York (Genesee County), LeRoy — Roswell Parmelee
Genesee County's only known French & Indian War veteran Pioneer of Stone Church Died 1811 age 72 buried in Fort Hill Cemetery Le Roy — Map (db m57317) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — Fort Hendrick
Ft. Hendrick 1754-1760 British post guarding Mohawk Castle. Named for King Hendrick killed at Lake George, Sept. 1755 N.Y. State Historical Marker — Map (db m57269) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Mohawk — Fort Herkimer
Site of home of Johan Jost, Herkimer ca. 1740 fortified 1756-57 military outpost During French & Indian and Revolutionary Wars — Map (db m32461) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Mohawk — Fort Herkimer
Fort Herkimer Stood 86 rods west of this church. It served as a place of refuge for the pioneers from attacks by the French and Indians, and during the War of the Revolution, with this church, as a place of defense and a base of military supplies. — Map (db m57328) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fort Johnson — Fort Johnson, 1749
Third Mohawk Valley House built by Sir William Johnson. Important military post and Indian Council place of 1754-60 — Map (db m46976) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Sprout Brook — Flint Homesite
Flint Homesite Robert Flint - Pioneer and Lieutenant French and Indian Wars, Cornelius Flint - Soldier Revolution — Map (db m48399) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Lower LandingNorthern terminus of the Niagara Porter, early bypass route around Niagara Falls
For early travelers coming up the Niagara River on their way from Lake Ontario to the other Great Lakes, this area - known as the Lower Landing - marked the beginning of the Niagara Portage, the shortest and most accessible route around Niagara Falls and the swirling waters of the Niagara Gorge. Created by Native peoples long before the arrival of Europeans, the Portage was adopted for use by the French, British, and American traders, soldiers, merchants, and travelers from the 17th century . . . — Map (db m66302) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Magazin RoyaleA simple structure with a grand name establishes a permanent French presence at the Lower Landing
Louis Thomas de Joncaire, a French soldier captured and adopted by the Seneca until repatriated in 1694, played an important role for the French as an interpreter and trader. Joncaire and his sons are the French men most commonly associated with the Lower Landing Joncaire began meeting with the Indians to trade and talk during the early 1700s and built a permanent structure at the Lower Landing in 1720. Working quickly, Joncaire and his men "built in haste a kind of cabbin of bark, . . . — Map (db m66264) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Fort SchlosserGuarding the Upper Landing
Great Lakes Seaway Trail. New York State French and Indian War Commemoration 250 years. Securing Military and Commercial Goods. Fort Schlosser was built to protect the upper portage landing and was used as a storehouse for military and commercial goods, facilitating the supply of western outposts. The importance of securing this strategic area was recognized by early explorers and the French army as well. The landing was fortified by the French prior to the war, but they burned their . . . — Map (db m72889) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — The Great Cataract of NiagaraAn attraction even in wartime
Early European Visitors The Niagara River, with its mighty falls and rapids, was well known by Native Americans. Word of its majesty reached European explorers and soldiers who came to North America. Despite their mission, explorers and soldiers alike took time to see the watery spectacles for themselves. 1615 Etienne Brule, a French explorer may have been the first European to actually view the Falls and gorge. 1678 French explorer La Salle passed through here on his way to survey . . . — Map (db m72940) HM
New York (Niagara County), Youngstown — La Belle Famille
»---› Site of Battle La Belle Famille July 24, 1759, deciding British capture of French Fort Niagara Map (db m67344) HM
New York (Niagara County), Youngstown — La Belle Famille
On the Battlefield of La Belle Famille Father Claude Joseph Virot S. J. Chaplain of the French forces was killed by the Iroquois July 24, 1759. — Map (db m67345) HM WM
New York (Niagara County), Youngstown — Magasin à Poudre(Powder Magazine)
Built By Capitaine François Pouchot 1757 Rehabilitated Through The Generosity of Wallace I. Keep 1932 Dedicated as L' Institut d' Honneur (Institute of Honor) — Map (db m67466) HM
New York (Niagara County), Youngstown — The "Castle" of Fort Niagara
This House, The "Castle" of Fort Niagara was built by the French 1726, approximately on the site occupied by La Salle 1678, and Denonville 1687. Taken by the British 1759, it was held by them as a base of warfare against the American frontiers during the War of the Revolution. First occupied by the United States Aug. 11, 1796: Retaken by the British Dec. 19, 1813, coming finally, May 22, 1815, under the flag of the United States Of . . . — Map (db m67421) HM
New York (Niagara County), Youngstown — The Battle of La Belle FamilleFrench Losses: The Battle & The Interior
July 24, 1759 At this location British troops set defenses against French reinforcements, intent on breaking the British siege of Fort Niagara. Though outnumbered, the British repelled the advance and assured the fall of the Fort. Their supply route cut, the French were ultimately expelled from the Ohio frontier. La Belle Famille was nothing more than a clearing in the vast forest that offered British troops the best opportunity to engage the French troops. The origin of the . . . — Map (db m67347) HM
New York (Niagara County), Youngstown — The Niagara Portage: Gateway to the West
During the 18th century, the Niagara Portage provided one of the great access points to the interior of North America. Here, travelers from the east could reach the upper Great Lakes after a relatively short portage around Niagara Falls. Fort Niagara controlled this strategically vital portage. Travelers could begin their journey by land at the fort, or venture seven miles upriver and go ashore at the Lower Landing (Lewiston, New York). In either case, they first had to pass under the guns . . . — Map (db m67384) HM
New York (Niagara County), Youngstown — The Siege of Fort NiagaraA Calculated Attack
In July 1759, 2,300 British and New York troops, with about 900 Iroquois allies laid siege to French-held Fort Niagara. 19 days later, with its wall breached and a French relief force defeated only a mile away, Fort Niagara surrendered. Plan of Attack Laying siege to a fort required technical skill and much backbreaking labor. Beginning about 1,000 yards away, attackers dug a trench or "sap" toward the fort. The trench zigzagged its way towards the fort to deflect enemy . . . — Map (db m67473) HM
New York (Oneida County), Rome — Fort Bull
250 Paces from here is the site of Fort Bull the scene of fierce struggles during the early Indian Wars- twenty years before the revolution — Map (db m43098) HM
New York (Oneida County), Rome — Fort Bull
On Water Route Destroyed And Many Killed By French & Indians March 27 1756 — Map (db m43448) HM
New York (Oneida County), Rome — Stars & Stripes First Flew in BattleFort Stanwix
Here Aug. 3, 1777 the Stars & Stripes First Flew In Battle Above the Southwest Bastion of Fort Stanwix (Schuyler) Here Aug 2d to 22d Col. Peter Gansevoort's New York & Massachusetts Continentals successfully withstood a siege by British Regulars, Hessians, Mohawk Valley Tories & Indians under Lt. Col. Barry St. Leger - Lt. Col. Marinus Willett Aug. 6th conducting the sortie to relieve the enemy pressure upon Gen. Nicholas Herkimer's militia ambushed in . . . — Map (db m32402) HM
New York (Oneida County), Rome — The Gateway between East and West.... — Fort Stanwix National Monument
For centuries water was the easiest way to move people, goods, and ideas. Hundreds of tons of trade goods passed over the Oneida Carrying Place — here raw materials sent east from the Great Lakes region passed manufactured goods heading west. Canoes and flat-bottomed boats called bateaux were the primary watercraft in this region. — Map (db m32584) HM
New York (Oneida County), Rome — The Oneida Carrying Place
Near this point lay the road of The Oneida Carrying Place called De-O-Wain-Sta By the Indians It formed the connecting link between the waters of the north and south and was from early time an important strategic point — Map (db m32411) HM
New York (Oneida County), Rome — Walking on an ancient trail... — Fort Stanwix National Monument
For centuries American Indians, traders, soldiers, and travelers crossed over this very path. Here goods and ideas were exchanged. The name of this portage trail between two river systems is the "Oneida Carrying Place." It served as a major east-west route linking the Atlantic to the Great Lakes when waterways were the lifeblood of trade. Trace the path back in time. Depending on the season, boats and goods were carried over land as much as six miles between the two rivers — Map (db m32662) HM
New York (Oneida County), Utica — The Site of Old Fort Schuyler1758
[Text on north side of marker]: The Site of Old Fort Schuyler 1758 [Text on south side of marker]: The historical and patriotic societies of Utica place this stone to mark the site of one of a chain of fort's built to protect the northern frontier from the French and their Indian allies, and to guard the Great Ford across the Mohawk River. — Map (db m54242) HM
New York (Orange County), Port Jervis — Cole’s Fort
Built 1755, in French and Indian War, by New Jersey which claimed this area. Home of Wilhelmus Cole settled here about 1730. — Map (db m20519) HM
New York (Otsego County), Cooperstown — George Croghan
Indian Agent - Land Speculator Lived in Pioneer Log House Located Here 1769-1770. General James Clinton's Headquarters Here 1779. — Map (db m43351) HM
New York (Otsego County), Richfield Springs — French War - 1757
Here English Troops Guided by Indians sought sulphur deposit site Great Sulphur Spring opened to public 1820 — Map (db m42748) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Schuylerville — Nov. 28, 1745
On these grounds the French and Indians killed Capt. Philip Schuyler and 30 others, burning Mills, Stores and 30 houses. June 30, 1747, the garrison of Ft. Saratoga was surprised, when 45 men were tomahawked and scalped. Site of the house of Capt. Schuyler in 1745 and of Gen. Philip Schuyler, U.S.A., in 1777. — Map (db m9298) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Wilton — Battle of Wilton
February 17, 1693 British forces of 250 Whites & 290 Indians engaged French & Indian forces of “800 or 700” men. — Map (db m58024) HM
New York (Sullivan County), Narrowsburg — Fort Delaware / Narrowsburg’s HistoryUpper Delaware Scenic Byway
< Fort Delaware Side: > The present day Fort, a replica of the frontier “lower fort” of the Cushetunk settlement of 1755-1785, was originally located six miles up river near Milanville, Pennsylvania. Another fort was situated further up river in the Cushetunk settlement. Fort Delaware is “dedicated to the Connecticut Yankees, who settled in the Delaware Valley.” The first settlers, farmers of English descent who came primarily from eastern Connecticut, . . . — Map (db m23934) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — A Common Stone
In memory of common men, this stone, taken from the banks of the Mohawk, was erected as a memorial to those Mohawk Valley men under Wm. Johnson who helped build Fort William Henry in the year 1755. A gift of the people of the Mohawk Valley 1958 — Map (db m9042) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Adirondack Forest PreserveLake George Battlefield Park
At a junction along one of the most historic water routes in America, connecting the Hudson River to Lake Champlain, this site witnessed military engagements during both the French and Indian War (1755-1763) and the American Revolution (1775-1783). This park encompasses the sites of several bloody actions, including the 1755 Battle of Lake George, the siege of the entrenched camp by the Marquis de Montcalm’s army in 1757 and the subsequent “massacre” following the surrender of Fort . . . — Map (db m16115) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Battle of Lake GeorgeSept. 8, 1755
Right of Monument: Defeat would have opened the road to Albany to the French Back of Monument: 1903 The Society of Colonial Wars erected this monument to commemorate the victory of the colonial forces under General William Johnson and their Mohawk allies under Chief Hendrick over the French regulars commanded by Baron Dieskau with their Canadian and Indian allies Left of Monument:Confidence inspired by this victory was of inestimable value to the American Army in the War of the . . . — Map (db m9410) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Bloody Pond
Here Sept. 8, 1755 (Battle of Lake George) the colonial forces under Lieut. Col. Cole checked the hitherto successful advance of Baron Dieskau and his allies, changing the English rout into ultimate victory. Here likewise on the evening of the same day - Capt. Mc Ginnis assisted by Capt. Folsom with 200 New York and New Hampshire men, fell upon 300 Canadians and Indians encamped near the pond for the night. After a desperate struggle the French force was almost annihilated. Over 200 bodies . . . — Map (db m17376) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Col. Williams Monument
Founder of Williams College — Map (db m17330) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Colonel Ephraim Williams, Jr.
On this site in 1755, Colonel Ephraim Williams, Jr. was buried after his death in the battle called "Bloody Morning Scout," a skirmish that opened the Battle of Lake George. Ephraim Williams, Jr. is best known as the Founder of Williams College, a liberal arts college in Williamstown, Massachusetts. Outnumbered and ambushed On September 8, 1775, after the sighting of French and Indians in the area, Colonel Williams, commander of 1,000 New England sodiers and 200 Indians, was sent . . . — Map (db m17329) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Colonial Maritime HeritageLake George Battlefield Park
Numerous vessels plied the waters of the lake during the French and Indian War (1755-1763) and the American Revolution (1775-1783). Many of the smaller vessels were constructed elsewhere, while others were constructed at the south end of Lake George employing shipwrights from throughout the colonies. These watercraft consisted largely of bateaux, row galleys, sloops, schooners and radeaux. Today, remnants of these warships lie on the lake bottom, sunk during enemy action, or scuttled as a means . . . — Map (db m16114) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Fort George• • 1759 • •
In the State Park to the left are the ruins of old Fort George. About here in 1755 the French under Baron Dieskau were defeated by the British Colonials under Sir William Johnson. — Map (db m9413) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Lake GeorgeHistoric New York
The natural route by water and portage between the St. Lawrence River and the Hudson River traversed Lake George. Christened Lac du Saint Sacrement in 1646 by the Jesuit missionary, Isaac Jogues, it was renamed in 1755 by Sir William Johnson to honor King George II. Above the outlet of Lake George, over-looking Lake Champlain, the French in 1755 built Fort Carillon (Ticonderoga), which became a military objective during the colonial conflicts between the English and the French. Fort . . . — Map (db m18102) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Memorial to Four Unknown Soldiers
A Memorial to Four Unknown Soldiers --------------- who fell September 8, 1755 on the Bloody Morning Scout led by Col. Ephraim Williams and King Hendrick against the French and Indians under Baron Dieskau. The remains were disinterred in building a state highway in 1931 and reburied under this monument. Erected by State Education and Conservation Departments and New York State Historical Association 1935 — Map (db m9049) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Military Dock
During the French and Indian War, British and Procincial troops used a dock near here for loading soldiers, artillery, and supplies. — Map (db m9424) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Military Road
Military Road built between Fort Edward and Lake George built by Sir William Johnson during the summer of 1755 — Map (db m17339) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Montcalm's Camp
On these grounds Montcalm's Army camped during the siege of Ft. Wm. Henry, August 6 - 9, 1757 — Map (db m17388) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Northeast BastionFort William Henry — 1755 - 1757
This was the flagstaff bastion. During the early days of the bombardment, a French projectile severed a pulley on one of the poles, causing the English flag to fall. One of the carpenters rushed to repair the damage, but as he climbed the pole, had his "head shot off with a ball." — Map (db m15801) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Northwest BastionFort William Henry — 1755 - 1757
This bastion suffered the heaviest damage from Montcalm’s artillery. Here a howitzer shell landed on an ammunition box killing or wounding 16, including a "provincial Officer who was never heard of but part of his coat was found." Each night the army advanced until they were firing from a distance of 150 yards in the general area of the Fort William Henry Hotel complex. — Map (db m15802) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Radeau Land Tortoise
has been designated a National Historic Landmark This vessel possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. Built by British and provincial forces in 1758, the seven-gun, 26-oar French and Indian War gunboat was sunk two miles north of this point to prevent enemy capture. The only surviving example of her class, she remains at a depth of 107 feet. 1998 National Park Service United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m16116) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Radeau Warship
Land Tortoise, built by Colonial and British troops, near this site in 1758. Lies 2 miles north in 107 feet of water. — Map (db m17383) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Royal Sussex Regiment Memorial
This plaque commemorates the memory of those officers, N.C.O.s and men of the 35th Regiment of Foot (now the Royal Sussex Regiment), their wives and families who lost their lives during the defence of Fort William Henry, and the subsequent massacre by hostile red Indians after the surrender and evacuation of the Fort in 1757. The Royal Sussex Regimental Association, Roussillon Barracks, Chichester, Sussex — Map (db m9043) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Southeast BastionFort William Henry — 1755 - 1757
The original entrance to the fort was under this bastion. A road led to it from the vicinity of the old Railroad Station and Steamboat dock. About a quarter mile away, the rising hill of tall pines marks the site of the Battle of Lake George. This later became the site of the entrenched camp. — Map (db m15806) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Southwest BastionFort William Henry — 1755 - 1757
You are looking at the general area of the cemetery which encompassed most of the parking area and extended across Canada Street. Many soldiers died from wounds inflicted during battle, but most deaths were related to infection and disease. In 1842, "the marks of a thousand graves could be seen among the trees. Most had been opened, the bones and skulls dug up in great numbers." — Map (db m15805) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Sunken Fleet
Fall 1758 British/Americans sank Radeau Land Tortoise, Sloop Halifax, 260 bateaux to avoid plunder by French raiding parties — Map (db m17384) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — The 1755 Battle of Lake GeorgeLake George Battlefield Park
In September 1755, a Colonial army commanded by Major General William Johnson camped on this location in preparation for an advance against the French Fortress of St. Frederic at Crown Point on Lake Champlain. On September 8, a French force commanded by Baron Jean-Armand Dieskau attacked Johnson’s army, which was barricaded behind a crude breastwork. For five hours the battle raged until finally, with heavy casualties on both sides, the French retreated. Johnson’s victory at Lake George, and . . . — Map (db m16035) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — The Hospital
At Battle of Lake George many wounded soldiers and some with smallpox were cruelly murdered by Indians of Montcalm’s Army. — Map (db m9415) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Wiawaka Bateaux
7 French and Indian War bateaux sunk here in 1758. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. — Map (db m17382) HM
New York (Warren County), Queensbury — Five Mile Run
In French and Indian War this run was avoided because of fear of attack by hidden Indians. Name changed to Meadow Run 1808. — Map (db m18436) HM
New York (Warren County), Queensbury — Half Way Brook
Midway between Fort Edward and Fort George. On this site about 1755 stood a blockhouse enclosed by a stockade. — Map (db m18440) HM
New York (Warren County), Queensbury — Half Way BrookFort Amherst — The Seven Mile Post
So called because midway between Forts Edward and William Henry. From 1755 to 1780 it was the scene of many bloody skirmishes, surprises, and ambushes. Here the French and Indians inflicted two horrible massacres upon the English and Colonials, one in the summer of 1756 and the other in July 1758. Fort Amherst A noted military post, was midway between this marker and the brickyard. Its site was known locally as "The Garrison Grounds". The location was used as a fortified camp in . . . — Map (db m18477) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Ann — Great Indian Warpath
Lake Champlain to Hudson River 1609 - 1777 — Map (db m58177) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Ann — Old Powder House Fort Ann
Old Powder House used during French and Indian Wars and Revolutionary War. — Map (db m58088) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Anne — Half-Way Creek
Used in French and Indian & Revolutionary Wars for transport of supplies. — Map (db m58086) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Fort Edward1755
Great Carrying Place Fort Nicholson 1709 Fort Lydius 1731 Fort Lyman 1755 — Map (db m9270) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Fort Miller
On the opposite side of the river Fort Miller built during French and Indian War. — Map (db m9297) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Major Robert Rogers
Founder and Commanding Officer of Rogers' Rangers in the French and Indian War. Author, in October of 1757 on this site, of the Rules of Ranging, which have been in use by the U.S. Army since that time. Rogers' Rangers Standing Orders 1. Don't forget nothing. 2. Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, sixty rounds powder and ball, and be ready to march at a minute's warning. 3. When you're on the march, act the way you would if you was sneaking . . . — Map (db m18108) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Northeast Bastion
Near here was Northeast Bastion part of outworks Fort Edward 1755 — Map (db m9271) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Old Fort Edward
This boulder marks the site of Old Fort Edward 1755 – 1780 Erected by the Jane McCrea Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1914 — Map (db m9266) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Old Moat
Remains of Old Moat part of outworks Fort Edward 1755 — Map (db m9346) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Progenitors of Independence
This monument is dedicated to the members of the British expeditionary forces stationed at Fort Edward and Rogers Island during the French and Indian Wars. 1755 - 1763 -Progenitors of Independence- — Map (db m17793) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Rogers Island
. . . — Map (db m17776) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Sixteen Soldiers
This monument is erected to commemorate the sacrifice of the lives of Sixteen Soldiers who were massacred July, 1758, by a band of hostile Indians in the park which was then only a path in the wilderness. The sixteen soldiers, with a teamster, a certain John Quackendoss of Albany, N.Y. who through the intervention of an Indian Squaw escaped the cruel death, were securely bound and seated on the trunk of a fallen tree. In this helpless condition they were put to death by one of the Indians armed . . . — Map (db m9341) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Smyth House
Erected by Patrick Smyth about 1767 of timber taken from Fort Edward. The first tavern and scene of the first court in Charlotte County. Headquarters of Schuyler – Arnold – Burgoyne – Stark – 1777. Oldest house in Washington County Erected by the state of New York 1928 — Map (db m9357) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — The Grave of Duncan Campbell & Jane McCrea
The Grave of Duncan Campbell & Jane McCrea are just within and to the left of this gateway. — Map (db m9343) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — The Island
Barracks     Hospital Brick – kiln 1755 — Map (db m19856) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — The Patt Smyth House
Fort Edward lay on the shipping route between New York City and Canada via the Hudson River and Lakes George and Champlain. The British colonial government fortified it in 1755 during the French and Indian War. Patt Smyth came to oversee the fort in 1764, and when it was dismantled in 1772-1773, he salvaged lumber to build this fine house. In 1777, the British planned to sever New York from New England by occupying the Hudson Valley. When the Continental troops garrisoned Fort Edward in June, . . . — Map (db m11764) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Four Mile Post
A small fort was built near here in the 1750's, known as the Four Mile Post as it was four miles from Fort Edward. — Map (db m63513) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Clemmons — William Johnson
William Johnson Built a fort of huge logs at this place about 1757 to protect his family and neighbors from attack by the Indians Erected by his Descendants 1956 — Map (db m54396) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Oldtown — Bastion 1756
In the late 1750s Indian hostilities spread through Bethabara and the surrounding area. When the palisade fort was built, these bastions offered good defense by allowing a man to see up and down each side of the fort. Night watch duty was assigned and one man was put in command at the mill where many refugees were camping. "One of our refugees narrowly escaped death on the path between Bethabara and Bethania; two others going out against the advice of Br, Auspach... were attacked and . . . — Map (db m53490) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Oldtown — Bethabara Fort 1756-63(reconstructed)
The French and Indian War (1754-63) prompted the peaceful Moravians, in the midst of busy harvest time and in only 18 days, to build a five-sided palisade around the central part of the community. Later, such fortifications were added to the mill and graveyard nearby. Fortunately, the Indians never attacked Bethabara. "Next day, after dinner, Br. Jacob Loesch called the Single Brethren together to decide the matter discussed on the 4th, which was quickly done, the unanimous conclusion . . . — Map (db m53517) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Palisade Fort1756-1763 — (Reconstructed)
The only French and Indian War Fort in the Southeast reconstructed on its original site. This five-sided palisade was built around the central part of the community for protection from Indian aggression. A second fort was located at the Mill Site on Mill Creek. Fortunately, the Indians never attacked Bethabara. — Map (db m52000) HM
North Carolina (Iredell County), Statesville — M-1 — Fort Dobbs
Built 1956 by colony. Was garrisoned by North Carolina Provincialsduring French and Indian War until 1762. Site 1 mile north. — Map (db m1499) HM
North Carolina (Iredell County), Statesville — Hugh Waddellc. 1734-April 9, 1773
Directed construction of Fort Dobbs in 1756 while in command of Provincial forces. Irish born, Waddell was in North Carolina by 1754. During French & Indian War, he led troops to Pennsylvania in 1758 and repulsed Cherokee attack on Fort Dobbs in February 1760. He was commissioned general 1771. Buried at Castle Hayne, Bladen Co. — Map (db m51008) HM
North Carolina (Iredell County), Statesville — Site of Fort Dobbs
Site of Fort Dobbs 1755. erected by Fort Dobbs Chapter D.A.R. 1910. — Map (db m51009) HM
Ohio (Defiance County), Defiance — C 322 — Pontiac Birthplace
Here, in 1712, was born the Great Indian chief who in- Cited Pontiac’s Conspiracy. He federated the tribes and With the aid of the French threatened British supreme- acy. Killed in Illinois in 1769. — Map (db m28350) HM
250 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 512 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.