Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Railroads & Streetcars Historical Markers

3109 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2909
 
City of Foley Marker (side 2) image, Click for more information
By Timothy Carr, June 19, 2013
City of Foley Marker (side 2)
Alabama (Baldwin County), Foley — City of Foley
(side 1) The City of Foley was founded in 1905 by John B. Foley of Chicago. Mr. foley, who was in the pharmaceutical business, heard about this area from a railroad land agent as they traveled to President William McKinley's funeral in . . . — Map (db m50408) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot
The Southwestern Railroad of Georgia was the first rail line to connect with Eufaula when the railroad bridge between Georgetown, Georgia and Eufaula was completed in late 1865. In 1867 the Vicksburg & Brunswick Railroad Company was formed to build . . . — Map (db m48624) HM
Alabama (Blount County), Oneonta — Historic Oneonta L & N Railroad Depot
Starting in 1889, the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, also known as the Birmingham Mineral Railroad, began railroad freight and passenger service to Oneonta with the completion of the rail line from Boyles Railroad Yard near Birmingham to the . . . — Map (db m38894) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Georgiana — City of Georgiana / GA~ANA TheatreFounded in 1855 / Opened 1939
City of Georgiana Founded in 1855 Early settlers moved from Virginia, the Carolinas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia into the deep forests of southern Butler County. In 1855, the Rev. Pitt S. Milner established a home-stead and post . . . — Map (db m86265) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — West Commerce Street Historic District/Historic Greenville Depot
Side 1 West Commerce Street Historic District The completion of the railroad in the late 1850s brought this District into being. The District grew into a major trade center between Montgomery and Mobile. The capital accumulated . . . — Map (db m70753) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Jacksonville — Chief Ladiga Trail - Jacksonville
The Chief Ladiga Trail was named for a Creek Indian leader who signed the Cusseta Treaty in 1832. Under the terms of that agreement, the Creeks gave up claim to their remaining lands in northeast Alabama. Because he had signed the treaty, Ladiga was . . . — Map (db m36438) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Jacksonville — The DepotChief Ladiga Trail
The Depot was constructed in 1860 by the Selma, Rome and Dalton (GA) Railroad. It was used as a transfer and storage point for Confederate troops and materials during the War Between the States. — Map (db m36443) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Piedmont — The Alabama Tennessee River Railroad
The Alabama Tennessee River Railroad was chartered by the Alabama legislature in the session of 1836-1837. Work was begun at Selma in 1851 and the rails reached Blue Mountain in 1861. Work was terminated during the War Between the States. In . . . — Map (db m27995) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), Enterprise — Enterprise Depot
This building was built in 1903 with additions in 1916 and 1997. The first freight shipments and passengers came here on the Alabama Midland railroad in 1898 immediately after construction of the roadbed. That was also the year when most of the . . . — Map (db m30307) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Sheffield — History of Sheffield
Side A Prehistoric man arrived in this area bout 10,000 years ago. Later Indian cultures left many stone artifacts and pottery vessels. In the 1780s, a French trading post and Indian village were located near the mouth of Spring Creek. . . . — Map (db m83389) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Sheffield — Old Railroad Bed
Side A Ashe Boulevard was built on the early railroad bed which connected Florence and Southport to the main railroad line in Tuscumbia. Trains first traveled along the railroad bed and across the Tennessee River in 1858 after the Memphis . . . — Map (db m39237) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Colbert County Courthouse Square District
22 structures, first Northwest Alabama historic district placed on National Register of Historic Places (1973): Courthouse, erected 1881, shows Italianate and Greek Revival influences. Fifth Street, Commercial Row, seven adjoining brick structures . . . — Map (db m28584) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — History of Tuscumbia, Alabama
(Obverse): The area around the Big Spring was inhabited by prehistoric Native Americans as early as 10,000 years ago. The first settlement was a French trading post and Indian village about 1780 on Cold Water Creek (Spring Creek) near the . . . — Map (db m83396) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Tuscumbia Railway
First Railroad west of Alleghenies 1832 ~ begun here; completed to Decatur, 45 miles east, in 1834. Cotton shipped by this line around nearby Muscle Shoals, then by boat down Tennessee ~ Mississippi R to world markets. 1851 ~ expanded to . . . — Map (db m28413) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Opp — The Depot / Opp, Alabama
The Depot In 1900, the L&N Railroad won the right to establish the railroad through this area. The town is named for Henry Opp, who represented L&N in successful legal negotiations. The coming of the railroad consolidated the surrounding areas . . . — Map (db m39777) HM
Alabama (Covington County), River Falls — The Horseshoe Lumber Company / River Falls Power Company
(side A) The Horseshoe Lumber Company E.L. More, president of the A&F Division of the L&N Railroad, arrived in River Falls from Nashville in 1897 to spearhead the construction of a branch line of the L&N. Recognizing a business . . . — Map (db m83458) HM
Alabama (Crenshaw County), Rutledge — Rutledge
Rutledge was the first county seat of Crenshaw County and held that position from March 1867 to May 1893. Originally called Barber’s Cross Roads, it was briefly named Crenshaw; but June 10, 1867, it was changed to Rutledge in honor of Captain Henry . . . — Map (db m72053) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Cullman Railroad Depot
The Louisville and Nashville Railroad Company completed building this Mission Style depot in 1913. When the tracks were laid below ground level, it replaced Cullman's first station located on First Avenue at Third Street, SW. Passenger service . . . — Map (db m29975) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Evangelical Protestant Church
The first church in the City of Cullman was established on this block of land donated by the North and South Railroad in February 1874. Lots 154, 155, and 181 were granted to Henry Dietz, August Henning, and George Stoback as trustees of the . . . — Map (db m33841) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — Civil War Prison
In 1858, the railroad company graded away an Indian mound that stood here. A brick warehouse was built in its place. From 1863 - 1865 the Confederate government used this warehouse to hold captured Federal Soldiers. You are standing on a pile of . . . — Map (db m22666) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — Commissary - R.R. Depot
This cellar was under Joseph Babcock's brick store. During the Civil War the building was used as a commissary. Babcock's warehouse and cotton shed were located to your right on the bluff overlooking the river. The family home, kitchen, and . . . — Map (db m23287) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Arsenal Anvil
Anvil used in Selma’s Confederate Arsenal to make armament for Southern forces. Presented to Sturdivant Museum Association April 1, 1961 by the Southern Railway Company which as the Selma, Rome and Dalton Railroad Company purchased the anvil . . . — Map (db m37690) HM
Alabama (DeKalb County), Fort Payne — Boom Town Historic District
Around 1889-1891 Fort Payne experienced a great industrial boom due to promotion by New England investors who speculated greatly on the area’s mineral deposits. During this period several highly ornate commercial and civic buildings, along with the . . . — Map (db m28027) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Wetumpka — Wetumpka L&N Depot
The Louisville & Nashville Depot was built in Wetumpka in 1906 and exemplifies the L&N plan for small town depots. The station served as a passenger and freight depot until service was terminated in the 1930s and as a freight depot until 1973. In . . . — Map (db m83724) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Atmore — Canoe Station
Settled by A.J. Hall in 1852 and occupied by Confederate troops because of its value as a railroad stop during the War Between the States (1861-65), Canoe was the site of a March 27, 1865 encampment of Union forces. The 1870s brought expansion . . . — Map (db m72265) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Atmore — Williams Station, Alabama 1866-1897 / Atmore Alabama
Side 1 Williams Station, Alabama 1866-1897 Creek Indians lived in these parts some 200 years before trains began stopping here in 1866 to leave supplies for a farmer, William Larkin Williams, who lived nearby. Workers, who came first . . . — Map (db m72260) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Brewton — Hart Station
Erected by his friends and the Escambia County Bar Association in memory of James Edward Hart, Jr. (1942 – 1992), who contributed much to his community, his church and his profession. He loved trains. Due to his efforts, passenger service . . . — Map (db m39033) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Flomaton — Flomaton, Alabama
Front As railroads were reconstructed following the Civil War, a junction of north-south and east-west lines was established along the Alabama-Florida border near the confluence of Big Escambia Creek and the Conecuh-Escambia River. A . . . — Map (db m47484) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Pollard — Site of Pollard
Located 1½ miles south, town of Pollard established 1861 at juncture of Alabama & Florida and Mobile & Great Northern railroads. Named for Charles T. Pollard, builder of Alabama & Florida Railroad. One of largest military training camps of . . . — Map (db m84371) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Attalla — “The Junction”Attalla
For thousands of years, two important Indian trade routes ran across what was to become Etowah County. The “High Town Path” ran from Charlestown, S.C. west to the Mississippi River, near Memphis, TN. The “Creek Path” begins . . . — Map (db m39226) HM
Alabama (Franklin County), Red Bay — Red Bay Depot & Hotel
The Depot The Depot, a treasured landmark in the history and growth of Red Bay, was built by Illinois Central Railroad in 1907. The trains provided a lifeline for towns like Red Bay. They brought necessities like sugar, flour, cheese, canned . . . — Map (db m83746) HM
Alabama (Franklin County), Vina — History of Vina
Vina was first known as Jones Crossroads, and later it was called New Burleson before the railroad came through the area. In the early 1900s, the Illinois Central Railroad was built through Jones Crossroads and the town’s name was changed to Vina . . . — Map (db m83751) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Abbeville — Abbeville Southern Railroad/Pelham House
For the first 75 years of its history, Abbeville’s commerce was tied directly to the Chattahoochee River by Indian trails and wagon roads. The arrival of the first train on the Abbeville Southern Railroad, November 27, 1893, signaled the dawn of a . . . — Map (db m60685) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Newville — Newville, Alabama / Newville Pioneers
Side 1 Newville, Alabama James Madison Wells founded a village called Wells circa 1882. When Abbeville Southern Railroad laid tracks through the town in 1893, its name was changed to Wells Station. The post office was built in . . . — Map (db m71810) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Ashford — Ashford Depot
This depot, an example of late 19th century Victorian railroad architecture, was constructed by the Alabama Midland Railroad in March, 1888 as a way station on the Bainbridge-to-Montgomery route. The depot was the only building to survive a . . . — Map (db m73355) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Dothan — Atlantic Coastline Passenger Station
Side 1 Constructed by the Atlantic Coastline Railroad in 1907 during Dothan's rapid growth as a commercial center of the Wiregrass Region, this building serves as a reminder of the most popular and accessible form of transportation in . . . — Map (db m73357) HM
Alabama (Jackson County), Bridgeport — Bridgeport
Vital Memphis-Charleston Railroad, "backbone of Confederacy", spanned Tennessee River here. Bridge burned several times, 1862-3. Gen. Mitchell (US), occupying Huntsville after Battle of Shiloh, seized Bridgeport in April 1862 and held it . . . — Map (db m83788) HM
Alabama (Jackson County), Scottsboro — Robert Thomas Scott1800-1863
Planter, tavern operator, newspaper editor, legislator, and land developer, he sought in vain to have the Jackson County seat moved from Bellefont to the settlement that bore his name. After his death in 1863, his widow reached an agreement in 1868 . . . — Map (db m22260) HM
Alabama (Jackson County), Scottsboro — Scottsboro Railroad Depot
The Memphis and Charleston Railroad Company constructed the Scottsboro Railroad Depot in 1860-1861 as a passenger and freight facility. The rail line ran throughout the Confederacy and the Union considered its capture vital to cutting off supplies . . . — Map (db m22258) HM
Alabama (Jackson County), Scottsboro — Union Civil War Encampment in Scottsboro
(side 1) In late December 1863, Union Maj. Gen. John A. Logan established his Fifteenth Army Corps headquarters in Scottsboro, Alabama. On January 11, 1864, by command of Gen. Logan, Brig. Gen. Hugh Ewing, commanding the Fourth Division, . . . — Map (db m100044) HM
Alabama (Jackson County), Stevenson — Stevenson Depot and Hotel
A one-story depot building was constructed here in 1853, when the railroad was first laid through Stevenson. That building burned after the Civil War and was replaced by the present brick depot and hotel in 1872. During the Civil War, Stevenson . . . — Map (db m22271) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — A New CityBuilding early Birmingham
The arrival of two railroad lines in Jones Valley opened nearby deposits of iron ore, limestone, and coal to commercial development and helped make Birmingham one of the great industrial cities of the post Civil War South. In 1871, the year of . . . — Map (db m69018) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — East Lake Community
The Creek Indian Cession of 1814 opened this section of Alabama to settlement. At the time of statehood in 1819 many pioneer families had located here in what later became known as Jones Valley. By 1820 the area was called Ruhama Valley as a result . . . — Map (db m26680) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — East Lake Park
East Lake was planned in 1886 by the East Lake Land Company to help sell home sites to the men who came in the 1870's to work in Birmingham's steel industry. First named Lake Como, after the lake in the Italian Alps, it soon came to be called East . . . — Map (db m83828) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Five Points South
This neighborhood developed in the 1880s as one of Birmingham's first streetcar suburbs. It was the Town of Highlands from 1887 to 1893, when it became part of the City of Birmingham. The heart of the neighborhood was Five Points Circle, a major . . . — Map (db m83829) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Mineral Railroad Trestle
The railroad trestle support wall across the road is a remnant of L&N's 156-mile Mineral Railroad, the backbone of the local iron industry. This segment ran along the north edge of Vulcan Park on its route around the Birmingham District, linking . . . — Map (db m83831) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Morris Avenue Historic District / Elyton Land Company (Successor, Birmingham Realty Co.)
Created 1972 by the Jefferson County Historical Commission, the district is based on this avenue. Morris Avenue was named for one of the founders of Birmingham, Josiah Morris, who paid $100,000 for 4,157 acres of the original site of the city in . . . — Map (db m27156) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — North Birmingham
On October 1, 1886, the North Birmingham Land Company was formed to develop a planned industrial and residential town on 900 acres of land, formerly part of the Alfred Nathaniel Hawkins plantation north of Village Creek. The plan included sites for . . . — Map (db m26700) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Sloss Furnaces
The crossing of railroads in 1872 adjacent to this site gave rise to the industrial city of Birmingham. In 1881 Alabama railroad magnate and entrepreneur James Withers Sloss, capitalizing on the unusual coincidence of coal, iron ore and limestone in . . . — Map (db m23498) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Coe House1908
John Valentine Coe, president of Birmingham Lumber and Coal Company, commissioned this two-story Craftsman-Tudor Revival style house in 1908. Coe, who had previously been a lumber merchant in Selma, moved his family and business to Birmingham at the . . . — Map (db m83858) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Tuxedo Junction
"Tuxedo Junction" was the street car crossing on the Ensley-Fairfield line at this corner in the Tuxedo Park residential area. It also refers to the fraternal dance hall operated in the 1920's and 1930s on the second floor of the adjacent building, . . . — Map (db m25623) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Edgewood
Nathan Byars, II settled here in 1836, followed by William D. Satterwhite in 1853, and Phillip Thomas Griffin and his wife Mary Ann Byars Griffin in 1854. These early settlers cleared land, built homes and farmed in what was a vast wooded . . . — Map (db m26946) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Brock’s Gap / Historic Gateway To BirminghamThe South and North Railroad Cut.
In 1858, the State of Alabama, wanting to develop coal and iron industries in Jefferson County, Had John T. Milner survey Shades Mountain for the most practical route for the South and North Railroad to cross. He selected Brock's Gap, named for . . . — Map (db m26773) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Ross Bridge
In 1858 James Taylor Ross, a Scotchman, migrated to the South, acquired land and homesteaded in what is now Shades Valley. He provided land for the construction of a railway, including a bridge spanning Ross Creek. After the Ross family moved . . . — Map (db m27302) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Leeds — John HenryLedgendary 'Steel Drivin' Man'
The story of "steel driving' man" John Henry is one of America's most enduring legends. The strong ex-slave became a folk hero during construction of the Columbus & Western Railroad between Goodwater and Birmingham. He drilled holes for explosives . . . — Map (db m22207) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Leeds — The Depot
The Depot was built by Richmond & Danville Extension Co. in 1883-84 following the completion of the Georgia & Pacific RR line between Birmingham and Atlanta, three years before the Town of Leeds was incorporated. Richmond Terminal Co. operated . . . — Map (db m22209) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Mulga — Historic Lakeview Cemetery
This cemetery is owned by St. John Baptist Church in Edgewater and operated by Scott-McPherson Funeral Home, Inc. US Steel Corporation previously owned the area and it is historically associated with the Edgewater Mining Camp community established . . . — Map (db m37221) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Trussville — Trussville, Alabama
Trussville was settled between 1816 and 1819 by a few settlers from the Carolinas prior to Alabama becoming the 22nd state in December 1819. The First Baptist Church, Cahaba, was organized in 1821. Trussville’s first postmaster in 1833 was Arthur . . . — Map (db m34338) HM
Alabama (Lamar County), Sulligent — Birth of Sulligent
Side 1 In April 1886, railroad prospectors were traveling up the Butahatchie Valley in Lamar County, Alabama, Moscow beat, and securing right of way for a railroad to be built that would connect Birmingham, Alabama and Memphis, . . . — Map (db m96472) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — East Florence Historic District
The East Florence business area began in the industrial boom of the 1880s and 1890s and continued its development through the 1920s. Originally known as "Sweetwater", the small locally owned firms were established to serve the growing population . . . — Map (db m35769) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Courtland — Early Roads / One of the South's First Railroads 1832
Side A Tennessee Street along the north side of the square was originally part of Gaines’ Trace, a horse path laid out in 1807 under the direction of Capt. Edmund Pendleton Gaines of the U. S. Army. From Melton’s Bluff on the Tennessee . . . — Map (db m29056) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Crescent
Front The Crescent was an exclusive train of Southern Railway (SR) and Alabama affiliates, Western Railway of Alabama (WRA), Atlanta & West Point Railway (AWPR), and Louisville & Nashville Railway (LNR). Excepting SR, these . . . — Map (db m98305) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Auburn Guards Reviewed by Jefferson Davis
At the Auburn train depot on February 16, 1861, Jefferson Davis reviewed the Auburn Guards, the first Confederate military company thus honored. Davis was en route to his inauguration as President of the Confederacy. The Auburn Guards were comprised . . . — Map (db m74455) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Railroad Avenue Historic DistrictOpelika, Alabama
obverse The Railroad Avenue Historic District was the downtown nucleus of Opelika when the city was incorporated as part of Russell County, Alabama in February, 1854. The city limits extended a mile in every direction from the Montgomery . . . — Map (db m85336) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Rosseau's Raid to East Alabama
With orders from Gen. Sherman, Gen. Lovell Rousseau left Decatur with 2,700 cavalry, beginning his raid into East-Central Alabama. That raid ended successfully in Opelika July 19, 1864, after miles of track were destroyed along with other railroad . . . — Map (db m75126) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — South Railroad Avenue
The earliest buildings in the South Rail Road Avenue block between 9th and 10th Street were constructed by William O. Harwell around 1900 and were occupied by his agricultural supply store. His daughter, Alice Inez Harwell married Lum Duke who . . . — Map (db m84735) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Faces of Market Street
From the 1850s to the 1970s, the Louisville & Nashville Depot was located between Market and Washington streets. The building has been used as a dress ship, a photographer's studio, and in 2004 was remodeled for the Limestone County Archives. . . . — Map (db m93878) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Elkmont — Battle of Sulphur Creek Trestle
On Sept. 25, 1864 Gen. N.B. Forrest's Confederate cavalry, with Morton's battery of 4 guns, attacked and captured the Union fort near here. The fort consisted of a square redoubt, rifle pits, two blockhouses, and some frame buildings. It protected a . . . — Map (db m60870) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Elkmont — Commerce
Train #3 southbound, circa 1913. The wye (turnaround) is visible on the right. Because trains traveled with only one engine in the early railroad days and the tracks further south were under construction, a wye was necessary at Elkmont for . . . — Map (db m93859) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Elkmont — Elkmont, Alabama / Tenn. & Ala. Central Railroad
Front The earliest settlers to this area moved across the Chickasaw boundary before 1810 and established the Sims and New Garden settlements. The area came to be known as Elkmont, for the once abundant elk, the Elk River and the "mount" on . . . — Map (db m85426) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Gurley — Town of Gurley
Located on land owned by John Gurley, pioneer settler, and named for him. His son, Capt. Frank B. Gurley, became a Confederate hero as a member of the 4th Ala. Cavalry. The settlement that developed around the water tank on Memphis and Charleston . . . — Map (db m30574) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Historic Viduta / Hotel Monte Sano
(Front):Historic Viduta "Viduta"-derived from Spanish "vida" meaning "life" In a time when yellow fever, malaria, and cholera threatened, Dr. Thomas Fearn and his brothers Robert and George were drawn by the cool air and medicinal . . . — Map (db m27795) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Hotel Monte Sano“Monte Sano” – Spanish for “Mountain of Health”
Site of Hotel Monte Sano, built in 1887 by the North Alabama Improvement Company with the assistance of Michael and James O’Shaughnessy. The 233-room hotel opened on June 1, 1887 and served as a health resort and haven for famous visitors including . . . — Map (db m27796) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Monte Sano Railway
The Monte Sano Railway ran from the Huntsville Depot up Monte Sano Mountain along what became Bankhead Parkway through Monte Sano State Park to the 19th century Hotel Monte Sano. The Baldwin Engine and three cars stopped at Laura’s View Station. The . . . — Map (db m27856) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Passenger DepotHuntsville, Alabama — Built 1860
Memphis and Charleston Railroad Company Eastern Division headquarters in this passenger depot, adjoining yards and ships captured by Union Army April 11, 1862. Vital east-west Confederate rail link severed; C.S.A. soldiers imprisoned here. Depot . . . — Map (db m85547) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Madison — City of Madison
Establish in 1856 as a shipping station on the Memphis and Charleston R.R., the town was platted on land owned by James Clemens and incorporated by vote of its citizens in 1869. First officials included William R. Johnston, mayor, and five . . . — Map (db m61625) HM
Alabama (Marengo County), Linden — History of Linden, Alabama
(side 1) The Alabama Territorial Legislature established Marengo County in 1818. The “Town of Marengo” was then surveyed near the center of the county to serve as county seat. In 1824 lots were sold, and early French . . . — Map (db m72971) HM
Alabama (Marion County), Guin — City of Guin, Alabama: The Early Years / The Storms of 1974
City of Guin, Alabama: The Early Years In 1889, Dr. Jeremiah Guin gave land to the Kansas City, Missouri & Birmingham Railroad to allow completion of its Memphis to Birmingham railway. The rails connected at Dr. Guin's farm, about ¼ . . . — Map (db m96796) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Hunley
The first submarine successfully used in warfare was completed at this site in 1863. Designed by James McClintock and Baxter Watson, and financed by Horace L. Hunley, it was built by W. A. Alexander at the Mobile machine shop of Park and Lyons. . . . — Map (db m86244) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Slave Market
After the abolition of international slave trading in 1808, dealers transported slaves from all over the South into Mobile. On this site, Africans were sold as chattel to southern planters through public auction. Between auctions, a three-story . . . — Map (db m86312) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Birth of Montgomery Bus BoycottBoycott planned & publicized here at ASU's Councill Hall
Side 1 On Dec. 1, 1955, at Alabama State College (now Alabama State University) in a basement room in Councill Hall, the Montgomery Bus Boycott was planned and publicized after the arrest that day of Rosa Parks, who refused to give up . . . — Map (db m91279) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Pickett Springs / “The Best Public Resort”
Pickett Springs Railroad building and amusement park development flourished in the post-bellum South. In 1880s, Western Railroad of Alabama opened Pickett Springs on site of William Harris’s plantation, “Forest Farm;” Harris’s . . . — Map (db m38900) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Remount Depot / Keyton Station
Side 1 Remount Depot During World War I, in the summer of 1917 the U.S. Army opened a remount depot here to buy horses and mules for Camp Sheridan's 27,000-man 37th Division from Ohio. Despite the introduction of motor transport . . . — Map (db m71340) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rosa Louise ParksShe sat down - So we can stand up — February 4, 1913 - October 24, 2005
Mother of the modern day civil rights movement — Map (db m91278) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rosa Parks and the Montgomery Bus Boycott
Side 1 On December 1, 1955, Rosa Louis McCauley Parks was arrested on this site for refusing the order of city bus driver J. F. Blake to vacate her seat under the segregation laws of the Jim Crow era. She was taken to police . . . — Map (db m91286) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Smith - Joseph - Stratton House
Only surviving residence of former Mayor E.B. Joseph. The Italianate cottage was built c. 1855 by Pickett Chauncey Smith, a merchant in antebellum Montgomery, and father-in-law of E.B. Joseph, who occupied the house from 1880 to 1885. Joseph served . . . — Map (db m86426) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Domestic Slave Trade/Slave Transportation to Montgomery
Side 1 The Domestic Slave Trade Beginning in the seventeenth century, millions of African people were kidnapped, sold into slavery, and shipped to the Americas as part of the Transatlantic Slave Trade. In 1808, the United States . . . — Map (db m86427) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Lightning Route / Central Bank Building
The Lightning RouteIn 1886, Montgomery became the first city in the Western Hemisphere to convert an entire street railway system to electricity. The Capital City Street Railway Co. initiated electric trolley service on one mile of the street . . . — Map (db m86468) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Train Shed 1897National Historic Landmark
. . . — Map (db m94031) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Tribute to Montgomery's "Foot Soldiers"
The ten bronze roundels displayed on this wall are a tribute to the "foot soldiers" who toiled for 382 days during the Montgomery Bus Boycott of 1955 and 1956. The roundels depict individuals who were involved in, and events that occurred . . . — Map (db m91276) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Union Station & Riverfront Park
Transportation center of Montgomery located in this area for many years. First steamboat, the "Harriet," landed nearby 1821. City wharf constructed at landing place 1823. First railroad, Montgomery & West Point R.R., developed ca. 1840. By 1900 most . . . — Map (db m86470) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — First RailroadWest of Allegheny Mountains - Tuscumbia, Courtland & Decatur RR.
Built 1833 to by-pass shoals in Tenn. River. Absorbed by Memphis & Charleston And by Southern Rwy. In 1898. — Map (db m27761) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — 7 — Two Bridges Across The Tennessee River“A Hard Nut To Crack” — The Battle For Decatur
In 1860, the Memphis and Charleston Railroad was the only east-west route through the United States south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Maintaining control of this rail line was essential to Confederate strategy. Union Brigadier General Ormsby Mitchell . . . — Map (db m28262) HM
Alabama (Pickens County), Aliceville — Alabama, Tennessee & Northern Railroad Depot
The Carrollton Short Line Railroad, authorized by the legislature in 1897, connected the Mobile & Ohio Railroad at Reform with the Pickens County seat. John Taylor Cochrane of Tuscaloosa, working with Carrollton citizens, completed that line in . . . — Map (db m92644) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Helena — Helena Freight House & Depot
The South and North Alabama Railroad Company constructed the Helena Freight House & Depot about 1872 while repairing damage inflicted by Union raiders in 1865. The original location of the structure was just north of the present railroad . . . — Map (db m76262) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Helena — Helena, Alabama
Side 1 At a crossroads, one mile south of Helena, a post office called Cove was established in 1849 and renamed Hillsboro in 1857. During the Civil War the South & North Railroad (the Louisville & Nashville Railroad) was constructed to . . . — Map (db m76243) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Shelby — Calera & Shelby RailroadThe Former "Alabama Mineral Railroad", A Division of the L&N Railroad.
Constructed around 1890 to transport large deposits of minerals in the region. Iron ore, marble, limestone, and coal, the L&N Railroad also ran passenger trains daily. The L&N depot was built in 1909 directly behind where you are standing. It was . . . — Map (db m79403) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Wilton — Town of WiltonIncorporated April 30, 1918
Side 1 Wilton, a once prominent railroad town now sits nestled quietly in the southwest corner of Shelby County. Founding members were as follows: L. McMillen, L.W. Irwin, O. H. Bice, John Westley Little, Sam Vest, L. Cochran, and O. L. . . . — Map (db m76246) HM
Alabama (Sumter County), York — History of York / The Coleman Center
History of York Legend has it that York began at a blacksmith shop called Old Anvil, located at a crossroads a few miles northwest of the present city. Circa 1833, early settlers of a site located east of modern-day York on the old . . . — Map (db m89719) HM
Alabama (Talladega County), Lincoln — Lincoln, Alabama
(Side A) Historical records indicate that DeSoto and his men, as they traveled the South in search of gold, were the first white men to see the Lincoln area. With the ceding of the Creek Indian Territory in 1837, the population of the . . . — Map (db m33282) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Alexander City — Court Square
Anticipating the construction of a railroad through the country hamlet of Youngsville, Griffin Young in 1860 hired W. H. Whatley to survey a portion of his property and lay it off in forty-eight town lots. In the plan two acres were reserved for use . . . — Map (db m28544) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Alexander City — The Savannah And Memphis Railroad 1874
The transformation of Youngsville from a country hamlet to a market town can be traced from the arrival of the railroad. The Savannah and Memphis Railroad was completed from Opelika to the east side of the Tallapoosa River at Sturdivant in 1872. . . . — Map (db m28653) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Alexander City — Youngsville
Following the Creek Cession in 1832, settlers, mostly from Georgia and the Carolinas, occupied this section of the Creek Nation. Among the first settlers was James Young who purchased land a half-mile west near a trading post called Georgia Store. . . . — Map (db m28658) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The M & O Railroad Trestle
This wooden and steel truss bridge was constructed for the Mobile and Ohio Railroad in 1898 by civil engineer Benjamin Hardaway, an 1887 graduate of The University of Alabama and former Tuscaloosa City Engineer. Originally 135-feet high with a . . . — Map (db m28992) HM
Alabama (Wilcox County), Pine Hill — Pine Hill, AlabamaIncorporated December 2, 1895
Front: This area was Choctaw Indian country before the arrival of settlers moving south and west in this new nation. The first settlement, known as Arnold, was located one mile north of the present town center. Mr. Charley A. Sheldon from . . . — Map (db m47618) HM
Alabama (Winston County), Haleyville — City of Haleyville, Alabama
(Side 1) The Cherokee Indians were here first. They lived under the bluffs, near an area called the “division of the waters.” Richard McMahan established the first permanent settlement here in1820. John Byler completed the . . . — Map (db m80558) HM
Alaska (Denali Borough), Denali National Park — Tunnels Lost to Time
The train track along the Healy Canyon wall provides an exhilarating view down to the Nenana River below. Imagine the challenge of constructing this grade in 1921. Three tunnels at the south end of the canyon made the job a little easier by cutting . . . — Map (db m71361) HM
Alaska (Fairbanks North Star Borough), Faribanks — Harding Car
Used by President Warren G. Harding on his trip to Alaska in 1923 to drive the Golden Spike for the Alaska Railroad. “Denali is the Indian name for Mt. McKinley, the “Great One.” — Map (db m47352) HM
Alaska (Skagway Borough), Skagway — Skagway and White Pass
. . . — Map (db m72791) HM
Alaska (Valdez Cordova Borough), Valdez — Old Railroad Tunnel
“The Iron Trail” by Rex Beach describes these events and this area. This tunnel was hand cut into the solid rock of Keystone Canyon and is all that is left of the “railroad era” when nine companies fought to take advantage . . . — Map (db m49609) HM
Alaska (Yukon Koyukuk Borough), Nenana — First Presidential Visit
President Warren G. Harding, first U.S. President to visit Alaska traveled here to pound the Golden Spike signalling completion of the Alaska Railroad from tidewater to the interior July 15, 1926. State of Alaska Governor Walter J. Hickel . . . — Map (db m42948) HM
Alaska (Yukon Koyukuk Borough), Nenana — Golden Spike
A Golden Spike was driven at this point by President Harding on completion of the Alaska Railroad July 15 1923 — Map (db m4286) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Douglas — Douglas Police HeadquartersDouglas, Arizona
Elizabeth W. Ames, Mayor City Council Hector M. Salinas, Ward 1 Richard A. Arzate, Ward 2 Ramon H. Jordan, Ward 3 Harry F. Ames , Ward 4 Margaret Shannon, Ward 5 Rudy Quinonez, Ward 6 R. Delbert Self, City Manager . . . — Map (db m28295) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 38 — Southern Pacific Train Depot1903
The railroad reached Tucson in March of 1880. Richard Grid had a railroad spike crafted of solid silver from the Toughnut Mine. It was presented to the President of the Southern Pacific Railroad as an inducement to bring a railroad spur to . . . — Map (db m53401) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Willcox — Railroad Avenue
Railroad Avenue became the Commercial center for the growth of Willcox and the Sulpher Springs Valley from the time of the construction of the Southern Pacific Railroad through the area in 1880. — Map (db m28174) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Willcox — The Southern Pacific Railroad Depot, 1880
This is the only remaining original redwood frame Southern Pacific R.R. Station in Arizona. It is also the only known, original, on site, passenger depot still extant on the Southern – Trans – Continental Railroad route, between Los . . . — Map (db m28180) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — "The Gandy Dancer"
Section crews were the laborers who built the railroads in the beginning and have continued throughout the years to maintain them. These crews were most efficient in moving heavy sections of rails when they all worked in unison. To accomplish this . . . — Map (db m33265) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Flagstaff's Founding
Flagstaff was a name on a map before the area had any significant population. The first permanent settler was Thomas F. McMillan who arrived sometime in 1876. On July 4, 1876, a party of emigrants traveling from Boston to California was camped at . . . — Map (db m41717) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Railroad Depot1926
The facility was originally constructed in 1925-1926 by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad as the passenger station for the Flagstaff stop. The City of Flagstaff acquired the building in 1992 using city of Flagstaff Bed, Board & Booze tax . . . — Map (db m78739) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Transcontinental Railroad Centennial
In 1866 the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad was formed to construct a railroad from Springfield, Missouri to the Pacific Ocean, a distance of 2,000 miles. In the summer and fall of 1882 the railroad was directly responsible for the founding and . . . — Map (db m33333) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Two SpotsArizona Lumber and Timber Company Steam Engine
Arizona Lumber and Timber Company purchased this Baldwin steam engine in 1917 for lumbering operations in and around Flagstaff, where the engine spent its entire working life. The City of Flagstaff purchased No. 25 in 1995. Canvas water bags . . . — Map (db m41720) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Santa Fe Depot
"Won't you be one of the 25,000 visitors at the Grand Canyon of Arizona this summer? It is the world's scenic wonder - nothing like it." Santa Fe Railroad brochure, 1914. The Santa Fe train whistle that was heard here on September 17, . . . — Map (db m39569) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Santa Fe Railway Freight Depot
Built in 1901, this brick structure was the first train depot in Williams. After the Fray Marcos depot was built in 1908, this building took on freight arriving to and departing from Williams. It was moved here from across the railroad tracks in . . . — Map (db m33379) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Williams, Arizona
The area around what now is Williams, Arizona, was first explored by a Mountain Man who came to this area in 1876, William Shirley Williams, who was called “Old Bill”. The town site was created by a cowboy named C.T. Rogers in 1879. . . . — Map (db m48351) HM
Arizona (Greenlee County), Clifton — Town of Clifton
Historic Rehabilitation Project Arizona & New Mexico Railway Passenger Station Built in 1913 Mayor - David R. McCullar Vice-Mayor - Pamela C. Combs Councilmember - A. M. 'Tony' Rodriquez Councilmember - Patricia Fowler . . . — Map (db m36679) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Arizona Copper Company's Locomotive #2
The Arizona Copper Company of Morenci, Arizona purchased five of these locomotives between 1882 and 1886 to haul ore on the Coronado railroad. The H. K. Porter Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania manufactured them in 1882. Locomotive #2 . . . — Map (db m93835) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Chambers Transfer & Storage Company Building
The Chambers Transfer & Storage Company is significant in the history of commerce in Phoenix. As the railroads developed, support warehouses were constructed on each side of the railroad tracks. Phoenix is the only location in Arizona where the . . . — Map (db m73076) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Santa Fe Freight Depot
The Santa Fe Freight Depot was constructed in 1929 by the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad Company.The depot is a unique example of a reinforced concrete structure. Like other buildings on Jackson Street, the freight depot reflects the . . . — Map (db m73075) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Queen Creek — Engine 1673
The railroad made significant contribution to the support and development of the Queen Creek community. Engine 1673 travelled over 1,000,000 miles of track in Arizona from 1900-1955. The Southern Pacific Mesa to South San Tan spur was established in . . . — Map (db m49866) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Chloride — Arizona and Utah / Western Arizona Railway
Originally built in 1899 as the Arizona and Utah Railway, this short-line reached almost twenty five miles from the siding at McConnico on the Sante Fe to the White Hills. In 1904, a storm washed out much of the route. In 1905, the Sante Fe acquired . . . — Map (db m48288) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Kingman — Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad DepotBuilt 1907
This building has been placed on The National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior. Atchinson, Topeka & Sante Fe Railroad Depot Built 1907 Kingman's early existence depended upon the . . . — Map (db m29412) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Kingman — Lewis Kingman Park
Dedicated to Lewis Kingman, born North Bridgewater, Mass., 1845, died Mexico City, 1912. A civil engineer who pioneered railroad location and construction in the western United States and Mexico. During 1886-87 he supervised the . . . — Map (db m29424) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Kingman — Santa Fe Locomotive No. 3759
Presented to the city of Kingman as an historical monument in 1967 by the Santa Fe Railway Company. This "Mountain Type" coal-burning steam locomotive was built in 1927 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works. It was rebuilt and converted to oil fuel . . . — Map (db m29360) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Holbrook — Santa Fe Railroad
Across the Puerco River, the tracks of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad stretch for miles to the east and to the west. With no landforms or forests to block your view, you can see very long trains from beginning to end. More than 60 trains . . . — Map (db m68895) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Winslow — La Posada Hotel- 1930 -
La Posada was the last of the great Fred Harvey/Santa Fe Railway hotels. This is the masterpiece of Mary Jane Colter considered by many to be the greatest of all Southwestern architects. La Posada is on the National and State . . . — Map (db m32787) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — El Paso & Southwestern Depot and Park
The El Paso and Southwestern Railroad, originally owned by the Phelps Dodge Company, was extended from El Paso into Tucson in the fall of 1912. The handsome depot of classical design, featuring a large rotunda with a stained glass dome, was . . . — Map (db m83028) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Epes RandolphAugust 16, 1856 – August 22, 1921
[ Four markers are mounted on the four sides around the base of the monument. ] Side A: Southern Pacific Railroad Map Epes commanded the "Randolph Lines" that connected Phoenix and southern Arizona's outlying communities . . . — Map (db m38936) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Locomotive 1673
Locomotive # 1673, a Mogul 2 – 6 – 0 type engine, was built by Schenectady Locomotive Works in 1900 and logged over 1,000,000 miles for the Southern Pacific Company, primarily in southern Arizona. In 1955 it was donated to the City of . . . — Map (db m49938) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Southern Pacific Railroad
The S.P.R.R., building the nation's second transcontinental rail line eastward from California, reached Tucson on March 20, 1880. It was the occasion for one of the greatest celebrations in the history of the city and foretold the coming of a new . . . — Map (db m83229) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — University Streetcar Line
Across from the Main Gate on May 12, 1898, Charles F. Hoff, Manager of the Tucson Street Railway Company, drove the final spike completing tracks to the downtown business district and residential areas farther south. Mule-drawn streetcars traveled a . . . — Map (db m83245) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Kerny — Porter Air Locomotive
This locomotive is a gift to the citizens of Kearny, Arizona, by the Kennecott Copper Corporation. This is a Porter Air Locomotive, used by Kennecott Copper Corporation in the original underground Ray Copper Mine. It was used to transport men, ore, . . . — Map (db m34135) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Patagonia — Patagonia Depot
The New Mexico and Arizona Railroad which served Patagonia, was built by the Santa Fe in 1881-82 and was operated after 1897 by the Southern Pacific. The last portion of this line, terminating at Patagonia, was abandoned in 1962. The Patagonia . . . — Map (db m24108) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Santa Fe Depot
Prescott’s first railroad arrived on December 31, 1886. The current depot was built by the Santa Fe, Prescott and Phoenix Railway, also known as the “Peavine”, in 1907. Designed in the Mission Revival style of poured concrete with a . . . — Map (db m18767) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Yuma — Southern Pacific Passenger Coach Car
Wooden coaches were built around 1875 by Southern Pacific Railroad shops in Sacramento, California, and were used for passenger service in the railroad's southern division. In 1913, this car was converted for railroad maintenance and was then . . . — Map (db m29002) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — Original Site of Bloomington (Mudtown) Arkansas
Front Mar. 20, 1839 Trail of Tears Mar. 8, 1847 Robinson's Crossroads First Post Office Feb. 5, 1858 Name changed to Bloomington Sept. 18, 1858 Butterfield Stage Stop to 1861 Dec. 9, 1862 Civil War Skirmishes Aug. 24, 1864 "Camp . . . — Map (db m33712) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — Train Depot

The St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad was established in 1881. Lowell was a village at that time. The 1889 Goodspeed's History of Benton County says greens, fruits, poultry, timber and railroad ties shipped extensively from the depot. . . . — Map (db m93263) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Steam Locomotive(0-4-0)

Built in Berlin, Germany 1934, 600 millimeter gauge (24 inch) (same engines are used at Silver Dollar City). Engine was found near Orlando, Fla. in 1989. Was bought by gentleman from Switzerland and hauled to Eureka Springs same year. Plans are . . . — Map (db m80172) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Railroad Depot

The Eureka Springs Railroad opened in February, 1883. As the first trains arrived at the original station house, a finely crafted wooden structure, passengers were met by horse[-]drawn carriages and hacks which quickly carried them to the best . . . — Map (db m80173) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Town that Water BuiltNorth Main

First by horseback, wagons or on foot, invalids from all over this region flocked to Eureka Springs in 1879 to seek cures from the miraculous healing springs. But soon there were easier ways to arrive - stagecoaches, then trains. This laid a . . . — Map (db m80211) HM

Arkansas (Clay County), St. Francis — Chalk Bluff Crossing and Town
Since Crowley's Ridge provided the only natural route for north-south travel across the lowlands of northeastern Arkansas, an Indian trail and later a military road crossed the river here. About 1840 Abraham Seitz established a ferry which was later . . . — Map (db m4912) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — 16 — Hicks' Station in the Civil War
Hicks' Station, located on the Memphis & Little Rock Railroad between DeValls Bluff and Huntersville (N Little Rock), guarded the eastern approaches to the capital city. During the Little Rock Campaign, Confederate cavalry used it as a staging area . . . — Map (db m72142) HM WM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — Lonoke Landmarks
Joseph Taylor Robinson Home - 204 NE Front St. Practiced law in Lonoke - 1893-1912 U.S. Congressman - 1902-1913. Governor of Arkansas - January - March 1913. U.S. Senator - 1913-1937. Lonoke was named for lone oak tree, surveyor's landmark for . . . — Map (db m65710) HM
Arkansas (Prairie County), DeValls Bluff — 2 — DeValls Bluff in the Civil War
DeValls Bluff was strategically important to both the Union and Confederate armies as a major White River port and as head of the Memphis and Little Rock Railroad. It became a key Union supply depot after its fall 1863 occupation, as well as a haven . . . — Map (db m96455) HM
Arkansas (Prairie County), DeValls Bluff — DeValls Bluff Under FireBlue and Gray Fight on the Grand Prairie
DeValls Bluff’s status as an excellent riverport and the head of the Memphis and Little Rock Railroad made it an important base for both Confederate and Union forces. Hoping to block Federal ships from moving up the White River, Major Gen. Thomas C. . . . — Map (db m96666) HM
Arkansas (Prairie County), DeValls Bluff — DeValls Bluff: A Key Union BaseDeValls Bluff Was A Major Union Supply Depot
DEVALL’S BLUFF, ARKANSAS August 23, 1863. GENERAL: Having reconnoitered the different routes, I have decided to commence my line of operations at this point, and have moved the depot and hospital here to-day. The site chosen is a . . . — Map (db m96672) HM
Arkansas (Prairie County), DeValls Bluff — DeValls Bluff: A Major Union Riverport
Rising from the Boston Mountains, the White River meanders 720 miles to its junction with the Arkansas River in the southeastern part of the state. The fast-moving water kept the White River from suffering the build-up of silt that made such rivers . . . — Map (db m96674) HM
Arkansas (Prairie County), DeValls Bluff — 41 — Memphis and Little Rock Railroad
The Memphis and Little Rock Railroad was the first railroad to run in Arkansas. It was chartered in 1853, but when the Civil War began, only two sections were complete. One, running from DeValls Bluff to north of Little Rock, was finished in January . . . — Map (db m96454) HM
Arkansas (Prairie County), DeValls Bluff — The Memphis and Little Rock Railroad
On the eve of the Civil War, the Memphis to Little Rock Railroad had completed a line between Hopefield across the Mississippi River from Memphis and Madison in eastern Arkansas. A second section between DeValls Bluff and the north side of the . . . — Map (db m96673) HM
Arkansas (Prairie County), DeValls Bluff — War on the White RiverThe Most Important Waterway in Civil War Arkansas
With a swift current and deep channel that allowed deeper-draft vessels to use it reliably as far north as Batesville, the White River was the most important river in Civil War Arkansas and was used extensively by both sides. The Confederate . . . — Map (db m96669) HM
Arkansas (Prairie County), DeValls Bluff — Why DeValls Bluff
DeValls Bluff was ideally situated to be an important location in the Civil War. The riverport was located at a point on the White River that was navigable at all seasons, a distinct advantage over Arkansas River sites that were frequently isolated . . . — Map (db m96667) HM
Arkansas (Saint Francis County), Forrest City — Forrest’s CampBirth of a City
In 1866 General Nathan Bedford Forrest, along with about 1,000 workmen, pitched camp in the vicinity of what is now Front Street on land belonging to the Izard and Prewett families. By 1868 they had succeeded in making a cut through Crowley’s Ridge . . . — Map (db m92609) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — 440 — Alameda Terminus of the 1st Transcontinental Railroad
[Center and Main Marker:] This plaque marks the terminus of the First Transcontinental Passenger train that started in New York City and terminated at Alameda Point Pier On September 6, 1869. Erected by the U.S. Naval Air . . . — Map (db m29447) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Barker BuildingA.W. Smith, Architect — 1905
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1978 James Loring Baker was an early Berkeley landowner, developer, and civic leader. He was one of the signers of the incorporation papers for the Town of Berkeley and it was he who delivered them to . . . — Map (db m54332) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Santa Fe Railway DepotCharles Frederick Whittlesey, Architect — 1904
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2001 During the early 20th century, the Santa Fe Railroad provided three-day passenger and freight service between Chicago and the Bay Area. This depot was one of three major rail stations in Berkeley. . . . — Map (db m53828) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Site of John Hinkel Livery Stable, 1900Berkeley Farm Creamery Complex — F.E. Armstrong, Contractor, 1910
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1998 By 1900, downtown Berkeley had developed around Shattuck Avenue, its main street. On this site, owned by John Hinkel, stood a brick livery stable run by John Fitzpatrick, the early operator of the . . . — Map (db m54346) HM
California (Alameda County), Emeryville — California & Nevada Railroad1884 – 1903
A 3 foot narrow gauge railroad starting on land owned by Joseph E. Emery, later president and founder of the City of Emeryville. The line started at 40th and San Pablo, extended through Berkeley and up San Pablo Creek to Bryant (Orinda) 23 . . . — Map (db m72398) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Livermore Southern Pacific Depot
This railroad station having been located about half a mile west of the old town of Laddsville, on land owned by Wm. M. Mendenhall. Established the location of the town Livermore. The first depot was a freight car that was soon replaced by a . . . — Map (db m19993) HM
California (Alameda County), Newark — Carter Brothers
Western history owes the Carter Brothers a great debt, for they were the general contractors for the first six narrow gauge railroads in California. From 1874 to 1902 they built freight, passenger, cable and street cars. Their plant became Newark's . . . — Map (db m94310) HM
California (Alameda County), Niles — Completion of the Transcontinental RailroadNiles, California
“May God continue the unity of our country as this railroad unites the two great oceans of the world.” The gold spike ceremony at Promontory, Utah in May of 1869 united the tracks of the Central Pacific and Union Pacific Railroads. . . . — Map (db m24473) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Key Route Train Station
On this spot on June 1, 1904, the first Key Route electric train arrived to be welcomed by a crowd of excited residents. From a new ferry pier on the bay off Emeryville it had brought officials and guests to a dedication ceremony here. Key founder . . . — Map (db m72279) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Moving Shoreline
Moving Shoreline Oakland's 19-mile shoreline underwent continual change after the Gold Rush, as marsh and tideland was reclaimed for development. The natural shoreline now lies buried under dredged bay sediments and landfill. Here, by the . . . — Map (db m92753) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Oakland Railroad History
The railroad industry transformed Oakland from an oak forest to a thriving city. Rapid growth began when the Central Pacific Railroad absorbed local rail lines in 1868 and was granted right-of-way to build a freight and ferry pier. The Oakland Long . . . — Map (db m19209) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Oakland Rails
Railroad Heritage The opening of the transcontinental railroad in 1869 reduced travel time between the East and West Coats from as much as four months by sea to just six days. The Central Pacific made Oakland its western terminus. In 1871, . . . — Map (db m71297) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Western Pacific Mole
On a January morning in 1906, two hundred workmen from Western Pacific Railway and thirty armed “company soldiers” landed on the north training wall and began laying track. Although the City of Oakland had invited this action, it was . . . — Map (db m72207) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Western Union Railroad Depot1910 – 1975 — Oakland Landmark
First Western Pacific transcontinental passenger train drawn by Engine No. 94 arrived in Oakland via Scenic Feather River Route August 22, 1910. Famed California Zephyr began operation in 1949. Adapted to restaurant in 1975. — Map (db m72109) HM
California (Alameda County), Sunol — Niles Canyon Railway
In 1869, the first Transcontinental Railroad passed this spot on its way to the shore of the San Francisco Bay. In 1984 the Southern Pacific Railroad abandoned this historic line between Niles and Tracy, California. Volunteers of the Pacific . . . — Map (db m63766) HM
California (Alpine County), Bear Valley — Reynold’s HousePoint of Historical Interest
About 200 yards offshore, in what was once Silver Valley lies the Reynold’s House. This house appears on an 1878 General Land Office map and was probably one of the many road houses along the route that catered to tourists and travelers. Reynold’s . . . — Map (db m10999) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — 318 — Ebbetts PassHistorical Landmark
Named after Major John Ebbett and pointed out in 1853 to surveyor G.H. Goodard who referred to it as a “route of great promise – probably the best one for a transcontinental railway.” No emigrant train used this route but a . . . — Map (db m11444) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Iron Ivan
Old No. 7 was the last steam locomotive to operate over the Amador Central Railroad between Ione and Martell. The twelve mile long railroad lies entirely within Amador County and is one of the shortest railroads in this country. Iron Ivan is a fine . . . — Map (db m2371) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Martell Stage Station
Started about 100 years ago as Ryan’s Station. In 1888 became known as Martell’s Station. This was the main terminal for stagecoaches from Amador County gold mines. Large shipments of gold bullion were made from Martell’s Station to San Francisco, . . . — Map (db m70230) HM
California (Butte County), Magalia — “Magalia Depot & Butte County Railroad”
In 1902, Diamond Match Co., established the Butte Co. Railroad. The So PAC tracks ran between Chico, Durham, and Stirling City. Regular train service between Chico and Magalia began Nov. 2, 1903. Magalia depot was completed soon thereafter. April 8, . . . — Map (db m61223) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Completion of 4th Railorad in CaliforniaMiddletown
To Commemorate completion of 4th Railorad in California – Marysville to Oroville, by California Northern Railroad, later the Southern Pacific Co. 1st passenger train February 9 – 1864. Also marks site of Middletown 1854 – 1856. — Map (db m65878) HM
California (Butte County), Paradise — Butte 011 — Old Paradise Depot
Constructed in 1903, this depot is one of three maintained along the Butte County Railroad, a 31 mile line from Chico to Stirling City, completed by Diamond Match Co. in 1904. The railroad was later acquired by Southern Pacific and operated as a . . . — Map (db m29671) HM
California (Butte County), Paradise — Town of Paradise Memorial TrailwaySPRR Milepost 198.2 – Site of the Paradise Rail Yard
The rail yard housed the depot, a water tank, a stockyard, as well as a siding and spur. A motorcar house was located further up the track. The depot was retired on January 19, 1960. The coming of the railroad was the major event that sparked . . . — Map (db m29674) HM
California (Calaveras County), Valley Springs — Valley Spring
The original three foot narrow gauge line was built by the San Joaquin & Sierra Nevada Railroad, extending from Brack’s Landing on the Mokelumne River, east to Valley Springs. The depot and turntable were built around the time of completion of the . . . — Map (db m10635) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Byron — ByronEst. 1878
At this location, in 1878, a railroad station was established for the San Pablo and Tulare Railroad, which ran from Los Banos to Martinez, later to become part of the Southern Pacific Railway, for the purpose of taking on water, and became known as . . . — Map (db m17325) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clyde — The Only Train Stop in Clyde
This monument commemorates what was once the only train stop in Clyde. The train that came through this stop in the early 1900's was owned by Southern Pacific and brought mail, passengers, and freight to this unique little town. [Lower marker . . . — Map (db m17341) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Danville — San Ramon Branch Line
The 19.7 mile San Ramon Branch Line of the Southern Pacific Railroad was built through here in 1891. Original Danville station plat consisted of 8.65 acres. Railroad service was terminated in 1978. The right-of-way was converted soon after to the . . . — Map (db m93668) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Santa Fe Railway
Between 1904 and 1979, the Santa Fe Railway line was a busy place in El Cerrito. Santa Fe had two small stations and a three-track yard in the City. In this area, the railroad altered the creek channel. The presence of the railroad eventually . . . — Map (db m94250) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Streetcars in El Cerrito
In the early 1900s, streetcars ran the length of San Pablo Avenue. In those days, people could ride from the county line to Grand Canyon Park (now Alvarado Park) or out to MacDonald Avenue to the San Rafael Ferry. — Map (db m94194) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Sobrante — California & Nevada Railroad
Here, following the base of San Pablo Ridge, ran the tracks of the California & Nevada Railroad. Incorporated in 1881, its founders had grand plans to run from Emeryville to Nevada. The line never got farther than Orinda. Until ending service in . . . — Map (db m94300) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Martinez Train DepotDedicated September 22, 2001
The City of Martinez has been the home of a train station along the waterfront for 125 years. The first station (approximately 200 yards to the east of this site) was erected in 1876 and closed in 2001 when this station was opened. More than . . . — Map (db m93542) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 6 — Southern Pacific R.R. Depot
First located here April 28, 1876 by Central Pacific R.R. First passenger train passed through on September 25, 1877 with Leland Stanford aboard. Historic Marker No. VI Martinez Historical Society July 4, 1991 — Map (db m19225) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Orinda — Bryant Station Site
Bryant Station was the terminus of the California and Nevada Railroad, a narrow-gauge steam line which transported local harvests to the Emeryville docks. The railroad, formed in 1881, was originally planned to run passengers and freight to the . . . — Map (db m24647) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — By Land and By Sea
San Francisco Bay is known for more than its great beauty. Its large estuary, where sea water mixes with huge river flows, is also a major port. Richmond's deep natural waterfront lent itself to early industrial development. Augustin Macdonald . . . — Map (db m94738) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 184 — Oakland, Antioch & Eastern RailwayCalifornia at Civic Drive — 1911
Electric rail service came to Walnut Creek in 1911. The railway (later called Sacramento Northern) provided passengers and freight service from Sacramento through Walnut Creek and on to Oakland and the San Ramon Valley. The tracks run along today's . . . — Map (db m93754) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 102 — Southern Pacific Railroad Depot850 S. Broadway — 1891
The first passenger train rolled into Walnut Creek in 1891. Southern Pacific built the train depot later that year on a site that was across the creek (now under Broadway) and close to this plaza. The depot was converted to commercial uses and . . . — Map (db m93738) HM
California (El Dorado County), Auburn — GPY 135-10 — Mountain Quarries Railroad Bridge
In 1910, the Mountain Quarries Company contracted for the construction of a railroad bridge over the North Fork of the American River to haul limestone from their upstream quarry. The bridge and 17 wooden trestles were part of Mountain Quarries . . . — Map (db m67659) HM
California (El Dorado County), Auburn — Mountain Quarries Railroad Bridge
The Mountain Quarries Railroad Bridge, also known a "No Hands Bridge", was completed on March 23, 1912. At the time of its construction the span bore the distinction of being one of the largest reinforced concrete railroad bridges in the United . . . — Map (db m67664) HM
California (El Dorado County), Latrobe — LatrobeEst. 1864
The youngest town acquisition of El Dorado County owes its origin to the Placerville and Sacramento Valley Railroad. They established a station for neighboring Amador County at this crossing of the roads. The town started on the completion of the . . . — Map (db m19317) HM

3109 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2909
Paid Advertisement