Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Military Historical Markers

3847 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 3647
 
Fort Morgan image, Click for more information
By Sandra Hughes, November 27, 2001
Fort Morgan
Alabama (Baldwin County), Gulf Shores — Fort Bowyer War of 1812
At, or near, this site, the United States, after seizing this point of land from the Spanish in 1813, built Fort Bowyer, a structure of wood and sand. A small garrison of men courageously fought to defend the fort against two British attacks, one . . . — Map (db m28692) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Gulf Shores — Officer’s Row
As the U.S. Army modernized at the turn of the 20th century, so too did its military posts. In the stratified society of this period, separate and distinct areas for the various classes of individuals were developed. The Army was little different, . . . — Map (db m70104) HM
Alabama (Blount County), Blountsville — Blountsville
1820-1889 seat of Blount County a county older than the State. Named for Tennessee Governor W. G. Blount who sent Andrew Jackson to aid Alabama settlers in Creek Indian War, 1812-1814. Indian Chief Bear Meat lived here at crossing of . . . — Map (db m28038) HM
Alabama (Blount County), Locust Fork — Gabriel Hanby, 1786-1826← Grave and Homesite 300 Yards
Member Constitutional Convention 1819 First Senator of Blount County Brigadier General, Alabama Militia County road and court systems organized at his house 1820. — Map (db m32484) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Blues Old Stand — Three Notch Road
Side 1 Built by U.S. Army engineers over the summer of 1824, Three Notch Road has served as Bullock County’s major transportation route throughout its history. It was constructed to facilitate military communication between Pensacola . . . — Map (db m89638) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Three Notch — Three Notch Road
Side 1 Built by U.S. Army engineers over the summer of 1824, Three Notch Road has served as Bullock County’s major transportation route throughout its history. It was constructed to facilitate military communication between Pensacola . . . — Map (db m89637) HM
Alabama (Clay County), Ashland — Clay County Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the veterans of Clay County who so unselfishly served and to those who died in defense of their country Let it be said “We will never forget” Left Panel List of World War I, World War II and Korean War veterans . . . — Map (db m14302) WM
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusia — Purple Heart MemorialCombat Wounded
To Honor Covington County Purple Heart Recipients — Map (db m94900) WM
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusia — Rodney J. Evans
Sergeant, U.S. Army, Company D, 1st Battalion, 12th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division, Tay Ninh Province, Republic of Vietnam, 18 July 1969. For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and . . . — Map (db m99522) HM WM
Alabama (Covington County), Florala — Downtown Square and Veterans Memorial Park
The name Florala came from combining the names of Florida and Alabama. Lake Jackson, located in Florala, is the state's largest natural lake. It is named for Andrew Jackson, who in 1818 camped on the lake with his soldiers while en route to . . . — Map (db m83457) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Dallas County Korean War Memorial
Front KOREA In Honor and Memory of our Veterans who Served in the Korean War 1950 — 1953 ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ Against overwhelming odds our valiant service men and women withstood the . . . — Map (db m82043) WM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Dallas County Vietnam Memorial
Front VIETNAM Honor ✯ Duty ✯ Sacrifice In Grateful Memory and Honor of all Veterans from Dallas County who served in the Vietnam Conflict 1965 — 1973 ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ . . . — Map (db m82039) WM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Dallas County World Wars MemorialLest· We· Forget — World War I 1917-1918 — World War II 1941-1945
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. St. John, 15-13 Erected in grateful humility to the enduring memory of those of Dallas County whose names appear hereon who made the supreme . . . — Map (db m83522) WM
Alabama (DeKalb County), Fort Payne — Fort Payne’s Fort
The fort, consisting of a log house and large stockade, was built in 1838 by order of General Winfield Scott, commander of military forces responsible for the removal of Cherokee Indians. Soldiers occupying the fort were commanded by Captain . . . — Map (db m28030) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Attalla — Camp SibertWorld War II: 1942-1945
On 6/18/1942 the U.S. took possession of 36,300 acres in Etowah and adjoining St. Clair County to establish Alabama's first Chemical Warfare Center. The area was dedicated on 12/25/1942 and named for U.S. Army M/G William Luther Sibert, first Chief . . . — Map (db m33304) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Disabled American Veterans
(Side 1) Disabled American Veterans Formed December 25, 1920. Birmingham Chapter No. 4 Chartered January 25, 1926. This Memorial Dedicated To Our Military Forces And To All Who Have Given Their Blood And Lives That The Republic Might Live . . . — Map (db m24347) WM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — History of the 117th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing
January 1922 Federal Recognition 135th Observation Squadron May 1923 Redesignated 114th Observation Squadron January 1924 Redesignated 106th Observation Squadron October 1943 Redesignated 100th Bombardment Squadron November 1946 . . . — Map (db m27388) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Rainbow ViaductDedicated to the Brave Men of the 167th Infantry who fought to Preserve Our Freedom
On May 10, 1919, soon after its completion, this 21st Street Viaduct was named the Rainbow Viaduct in tribute to Alabama's famous 167th Infantry of the Rainbow Division, renowned for Bravery and Honor. The 167th was the Nation's only regiment in . . . — Map (db m83860) HM
Alabama (Lamar County), Vernon — Lamar County Korea & Vietnam Memorial
In memory of Lamar County's honored dead Korea Bowen, Elzie Ray Hays, Robert A. Mixon, Herman L. Pickens, Freddie F. Reed, Cecil Rushing, Larry W. In memory of Lamar County's honored dead . . . — Map (db m96851) WM
Alabama (Lamar County), Vernon — Lamar County WWI & WWII Memorial
Side 1 In Memory of Lamar County's Honored Dead World War One and Two Allen, Othar J. • Conner, Herbert C. Atkins, A. Lincoln • Conner, James Box Avers, Cicero • Cox, William Lloyd Baughn, Claudie • Cowart, Milo K. . . . — Map (db m96852) WM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Anderson — Hugh Pate HarrisGeneral, U.S. Army
(Side A) Approximately one-half mile north of this location is the birthplace of Hugh Pate Harris. He was born there on June 15, 1909. At a young age, Hugh and his family moved to Lawrence County, Tennessee. After graduating from . . . — Map (db m69499) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — 115th Signal BattalionOrganized 1940
At this site where once stood Fort Willingham (Armory) the 115th Signal Battalion was organized December 1, 1940. Originally the 2nd Battalion, 151st Engineers, it was organized a number of times from 1940 to 1959 as its mission was changed to meet . . . — Map (db m28562) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — 16” Projectile
The 1,900 lb. HC (High Capacity) Mark 13 shore-bombardment projectile is fired from the Mark 7, 16” .50-caliber gun. The HC round can create a crater 50’ wide and 20’ deep. The 16” gun turret weights 1,708 tons. The barrel weighs 267,904 . . . — Map (db m69660) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — AGM-28 Hound Dog Missile
The AGM-28 Hound Dog Missile was the United States’ first Air Launched Cruise Missile (ALCM). It was made to deliver W28, 4-megaton nuclear warheads. North American Aviation was contracted in 1956 to build the protoype. The AGM-28 was put into . . . — Map (db m69655) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Anti-Tank Gun
This is a T-3 (T-78) Experimental anti-tank gun. It fired a 76mm round of ammunition. Being a towed weapon limited it to being used defensively, and its lack of mobility meant it could be easily outflanked. Towed anti-tank artillery disappeared . . . — Map (db m69661) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — General Arthur E. Brown, Jr.City of Florence Walk of Honor
A 1953 graduate of West Point, Gen. Brown culminated a 36-year military career as Director of the Army Staff (1983-1987) and Vice-Chief of Staff of the U.S. Army (1987-1989). — Map (db m29267) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Lt. Col. R. Edward YeildingCity of Florence Walk of Honor
After flying more than 90 worldwide reconnaissance missions, in 1990 Lt. Col. Ed Yeilding set a coast to coast aircraft speed record of 67 minutes 54 seconds flying an SR-71 spy plane, which is now at the Smithsonian. — Map (db m84030) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Rear Admiral Fran McKeeCity of Florence Walk of Honor
In 1976, Fran McKee became the first woman line officer promoted to Rear Admiral in the U.S. Navy. A wide range of opportunities for women in the Navy is a result of her personal example and her work on the Navy's Equal Rights Committee. — Map (db m38648) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — The “Honest John” Rocket
The M50 Honest John was the U.S. Army’s first nuclear-armed surface-to-surface rocket. It was an unguided 762mm artillery rocket, powered by an M6 solid-fuel rocket engine. The Honest John was developed at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, . . . — Map (db m69656) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — The Hawk Missile
The Hawk Missile was the first mobile medium-range, guided, anti-aircraft missile deployed by the U.S. Army in August 1959. The Hawk is a surface-to-air missile powered by a solid-propellant rocket motor and controlled in flight by its large tail . . . — Map (db m69652) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Courtland — Early Roads / One of the South's First Railroads 1832
Side A Tennessee Street along the north side of the square was originally part of Gaines’ Trace, a horse path laid out in 1807 under the direction of Capt. Edmund Pendleton Gaines of the U. S. Army. From Melton’s Bluff on the Tennessee . . . — Map (db m29056) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Athens College Veteran's Memorial
Dedicated to those who gave their lives in defense of their country by the veteran students of Athens College — Map (db m46362) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Brownsboro — Trail of TearsDrane/Hood Overland Route
In May 1838 soldiers, under the command of U.S. Army General Winfield Scott, began rounding up Cherokee Indians in this area who had refused to move to Indian Territory in Oklahoma. About 16,000 Cherokees were placed in stockades in Tennessee and . . . — Map (db m33318) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Major General H.N. Toftoy, USA.
This plaque was placed here by Citizens of Huntsville and Madison County, Alabama, In Honor Of Major General H.N. Toftoy, USA. Who was Commanding General of Redstone Arsenal from September 1, 1954, to March 31, 1958. It was unveiled . . . — Map (db m27906) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Memorial FountainsHuntsville Madison County Veterans Memorial
The Memorial Fountain System begins with a flow of water cascading over the continuous weir, which is punctuated by 8 Black Granite Markers. This flow symbolizes the blood which has been spilled defending our nation's freedom and flows into the . . . — Map (db m68728) WM
Alabama (Madison County), Madison — Madison County Veterans
Dedicated to the men and women of the community of Madison who devotedly served their country in the wars. — Map (db m36493) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Guntersville — History of Guntersville
(Side A) This area's proximity to the Tennessee River and Indian trails made it a crossroads for early habitation, settlement, and trade. Archaeological studies reveal it was first inhabited about 12,000 years ago by Paleo-Indians. They . . . — Map (db m33305) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Horace O. Davis
This building is named for Horace O. David whose dedication and estimable service to the USS Alabama Battleship Commission enhanced the memories of the personnel, who served aboard the USS Alabama and the honor of the people of the Great State for . . . — Map (db m50427) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — The Air Corps Tactical School
Established here in 1931, was the birthplace and nurturing ground of American air doctrine. In the ferment of a decade of thought and debate, the Air Corps Tactical School gave rise to concepts for the strategic and operational deployment of U.S. . . . — Map (db m79085) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Wilson Hall
Dedicated to the memory of Gill Robb Wilson Author – Airman – American Elder Statesman For Aerospace Power Founder of Civil Air Patrol September 18, 1893 . . . — Map (db m96846) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — Airman First Class John L. Levitow Monument
This monument is dedicated in honor of Airman First Class John L. Levitow of Hartford, Connecticut, the first Air Force enlisted man to receive the Congressional Medal of Honor. On the night of 24 February 1969, Airman First Class Levitow was a . . . — Map (db m95394) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — Army Air Corps Enlisted Pilots1912 — 1942
Title is text Map (db m95393) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — Corporal Vernon L. BurgeFirst Enlisted Pilot
This statue holds the image of Corporal Vernon L. Burge, the first enlisted man in the history of American military aviation to train as a pilot. His first flight was a reward arranged by the Wright Brothers for assisting with the 1909 Wright . . . — Map (db m95509) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — Khobar Towers MemorialDhahran   Saudia Arabia — 25 June 1996
Front Khobar Towers Dhahran   Saudia Arabia 25 June 1996 Right side Eglin AFB Florida MSgt Kendall K. Kitson, Jr. TSgt Daniel B. Cafourek TSgt Patrick P. Fennig TSgt Thanh Van . . . — Map (db m95392) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — Korean Service Memorial & MedalWe Remember... — 1950   1954
Front Dedicated to the enlisted men and women who served honorably in the Korean Theater of Operation. Reverse The medal is suspended by a ring from a silk moire ribbon composed of white piping on the ends and . . . — Map (db m95387) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — Operation Allied ForceKosovo Campaign — 24 Mar 1999 – 10 Jun 1999
{Title is text} Map (db m95389) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — Operation Eagle ClawDesert One — 1980
. . . — Map (db m95386) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — Operation Noble Eagle
. . . — Map (db m95390) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — Southwest Asia Service MedalLiberation of Kuwait
Front Dedicated to all the enlisted men and women who valiantly participated in the liberation of Kuwait. You are the symbol of freedom. God Bless America Reverse The medal is suspended from a sand colored ribbon with . . . — Map (db m95388) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — The Spirit of the Minuteman
. . . — Map (db m95533) HM WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — Vietnam Service Memorial
Front Dedicated to the enlisted men and women who served in S.E. Asia Reverse {Vietnam Service Medal} 1958 – 1973 — Map (db m95391) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 37th Division The Buckeye DivisionWorld War I / World War II & Korea
World War I Camp Sheridan was the site of the August 1917 organization of the Buckeye Division, made up of Ohio National Guardsmen who previously had been serving on the Mexican Border. After training, the 37th went to France in June 1918, . . . — Map (db m38895) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 9th Infantry Division / “The Old Reliables”
The 9th Division was organized on 18 July 1918 at Camp Sheridan for service in World War I. When the War ended, 11 November 1918, deployment of the Division to France was canceled and it was demobilized on 15 February 1919. Reactivated on 1 August . . . — Map (db m76161) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Camp Sheridan
From Division Headquarters, located at this point from August 1917 to May 1918, was directed the training of the Thirty Seventh Division, National Guard Troops of Ohio, for Service in the World War. The Relief map below indicates the locations . . . — Map (db m38899) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Major Lemuel Purnell Montgomery1786 - 1814
Brilliant lawyer, valiant soldier, in whose honor Montgomery County, Alabama was named — Map (db m94029) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Naval Heroes of the War of 1812Dexter Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama
Side 1 The six streets which cross Dexter Avenue between Court Square and the State Capitol are named for Oliver Hazard Perry, James Lawrence, Thomas Macdonough, Issac Hull, Stephen Decatur and William Bainbridge, all naval officers of . . . — Map (db m99545) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pike Road — Town of Pike Road Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to all who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America Never to be forgotten for giving the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom Duty Honor Country — Map (db m86475) WM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — Perry County Veterans Memorial
In Honor of all Perry County Veterans of All Wars — Map (db m70103) WM
Alabama (Pike County), Brundidge — "Lest We Forget"
To honor the memory and valor of our soldiers Civil War W.W.I W.W.II Korean Vietnam Operation Desert Storm — Map (db m36514) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Fort Mitchell<----- 5 miles -----
Built during Creek War 1813 by Georgia Militia on main Indian trade route to Tombigbee River. U.S. Troops stationed here until 1837. 1836 Lower Creeks corralled here for forced removal to the West. — Map (db m26069) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Fort Mitchell Military Cemetery
This military graveyard was established soon after Fort Mitchell was built by General John Floyd of the Georgia Militia. Located just south of the stockade, the cemetery was used between 1813 and 1840 during the fort's occupation by Georgia and . . . — Map (db m26122) HM
Alabama (Saint Clair County), Ohatchee — Fort Strother
Creek Indian War Headquarters of Gen. Andrew Jackson 1813 - 1814 Erected By St. Clair County — Map (db m28144) HM
Alabama (Sumter County), York — York Veterans War MemorialLest We Forget
On behalf of a grateful nation in recognition of the men and women who bravely served their country during war and peace. Especially those who gave their lives as the ultimate sacrifice to preserve freedom throughout the world. — Map (db m89727) WM
Alabama (Talladega County), Talladega — Battle Of TalladegaNov. 9, 1813
Here Andrew Jackson led Tennessee Volunteers and friendly Indians to victory over hostile “Red Sticks.” This action rescued friendly Creeks besieged in Fort Leslie. Creek Indian War 1813 - 1814. — Map (db m28205) HM
Alabama (Talladega County), Talladega — USS Talladega (APA-208)Talladega County — "The Tremblin' T"
Seven Battle Stars * * * * * * * World War II * Iwo Jima Operation * Okinawa Gunto Operation First of the 31 ship convoy with occupation troops to dock at Yokohama on VJ Day, September 2, 1945 Korean War * 3rd Korean . . . — Map (db m12212) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Camp Hill — Lyman Ward Military Academy
Lyman Ward Military Academy was founded in 1898 as the Southern Industrial Institute by Dr. Lyman Ward, a Universalist minister from New York. Dr. Ward established SII to educate the poor children of Alabama, many of whom had few opportunities due . . . — Map (db m25501) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Bell UH-1 Iroquois (Huey)
Manufacturer: Bell Aircraft Engine: Lycoming T-53-L13 single turbine Type: Utility Length: 41’ - 10.5’ Gross weight: 9,500 lbs Cruise speed: 127 mph Range: 318 miles Crew: 3 Armament: two M-60D 7.62 mm door mounted machine guns . . . — Map (db m35480) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — French 75 Millimeter Feldhase
This 1916 gun was used by the American Expeditionary Forces in World War I as part of a horse drawn caisson. During the war, American forces were loaned guns, planes, and other equipment from the French arsenal. This gun was moved to Veterans . . . — Map (db m35506) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Gorgas House
Built 1829 as University dining hall. Remodeled as a residence 1840. Occupied by Gorgas family 1879-1953 (Reverse): Preserved as a memorial to: General Josiah Gorgas (1818-1883) Chief of Ordnance, C. S. A. 1861-1865 . . . — Map (db m29301) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Gun from the U.S.S. Tuscaloosa
5 inch / 25 caliber “Dual Purpose” secondary artillery gun The U.S.S. Tuscaloosa was equipped with eight such guns, located in single turrets, four on either side of the ship. Developed in the 1920’s, its purpose was for both . . . — Map (db m35507) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — M60A3 TTS Medium Tank
Initially Manufactured by Chrysler Corporation Crew: 4 Maximum Speed: 30mph Weight: 57 tons Maximum range: 260 miles Armament: Main 105mm gun, Secondary 50 caliber machine gun, M240 coaxial machine gun. The first M60 tanks were . . . — Map (db m35512) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Replica Gates for Northington General Hospital
These gates are replicas of the gates for Northington General Hospital, a U.S. Army Hospital that operated on this site during World War II. From 1947 to 1952, Northington General Hospital was the temporary home of DCH Regional Medical Center while . . . — Map (db m35517) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Tuscaloosa County Veterans Memorial
Provided by local veterans and other dedicated citizens, this memorial pays tribute to all veterans of Tuscaloosa County who were engaged in the nine major American wars, 1776-1976. Rising centrally is the mainmast of World War II heavy cruiser USS . . . — Map (db m35475) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — U.S.S. Tuscaloosa (CA 37)
Built: New York Shipbuilding Co. - Camden, NJ Commissioned August 17, 1934 Type: New Orleans Class Heavy Cruiser Displacement: 9,975 ton Propulsion: 107,000 HP Stream Turbines Speed: 32.7 knots Length: 588 feet Crew size: 708 . . . — Map (db m35511) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Vought A-7E Corsair II
Manufactured by LTV Corporation Type: Carrier-based attack-bomber Crew: Pilot only Maximum Speed: 693 mph Power Plant: One 14,250 lb S.T. Allison TF41-A-2 turbofan Weight: 21 tons Tactical Range: 490 miles Armament: One 20mm M61-A1 . . . — Map (db m35514) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Willys Jeep
In 1940, the U.S. Army put out a call to automobile manufacturers to produce a fast, lightweight, all terrain vehicle. The answer came in the form of the Willys MB. The Jeep was instrumental in World War II, the Korean War, and Vietnam. This . . . — Map (db m35515) HM
Alaska (Juneau Borough), Juneau — Alaska Native Veterans Memorial
Monument against east wall of house off Whittier Way: This memorial is dedicated to all Alaska Native Veterans, Southeast who served in the United States Armed Forces. Let us not dwell on their passing but remember their . . . — Map (db m69127) WM
Alaska (Southeast Fairbanks Borough), Delta Junction — Delta Junction, AlaskaNorthern Terminus of the "Alcan" Highway
This highway was constructed during World War II as a military supply route for interior Alaska Military and Airfields in 1942. 7 Army regiments and 42 Contractors and Public Roads Administrators working from Delta Junction South and Dawson Creek . . . — Map (db m59840) HM
Alaska (Valdez Cordova Borough), Valdez — Goat Trail
The U.S. Army arrived at Valdez during the Gold Rush to build a trail into the interior. They found the Valdez Glacier impassable much of the year. To bypass the glacier, they cut a narrow trail along the walls of rugged Keystone Canyon. The . . . — Map (db m49611) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Alpine — The Old Bushvalley Fort
Here Stood The Old Bushvalley Fort Built 1879 For protection against Renegade Apaches — Map (db m36274) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Window Rock — In Remembrance of Our Warriors / Navajo Warrior Memorial
In Remembrance of Our Warriors Who Made the Ultimate Sacrifice and/or Missing in Action, They will never be forgotten and to us they will always be young in our thoughts. Nelson Lewis • Walter Nelson • Willie A. Notah • Edie . . . — Map (db m27911) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Huachuca City — Fort Huachuca(1877)
Situated on the southern route to the Pacific Ocean, it brought law and order to the Arizona Territory, protecting settlers, miners, travelers and immigrants. Its troops won the surrender of Geronimo. Generals Pershing and Wood served here. As . . . — Map (db m27897) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Sierra Vista — "Unknown Soldiers"
In Memory of those who stood and fought, But names have been forgotten. May they rest in peace. — Map (db m28252) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Sierra Vista — Alvarado Hall
Built 1979 – 1980 Master Sergeant Lorenzo Alvarado 1893 – 1974 In memory of all Americans who served their country with valor and gallantry during World War I and World War II in the pursuit of freedom and liberty for . . . — Map (db m49433) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Sierra Vista — Apache Scout Memorial
Eyes of the Army Presented by the Huachuca Museum Society 1995 Sculpted by Dan Bates — Map (db m28231) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Sierra Vista — Fort Huachuca
Est. 1877 National Historic Landmark — Map (db m28232) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Sierra Vista — Ice Hall
Dedicated 9, July 1993 In honor of Command Sergeant Major Clovis D. Ice United States Army 1933 – 1991 CSM Ice was a pioneer in military intelligence, airborne and special forces operations. He was a principal developer of . . . — Map (db m28234) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Sierra Vista — RC – 12G Crazyhorse
The Crazyhorse system was fielded in 1985 to meet the need for a capability to locate unique electronic emissions in Central America. It consisted of three RC – 12G airframes converted from C – 12D aircraft by Sanders Associates, . . . — Map (db m29587) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Parks — Beale Wagon RoadAmerica’s Great Camel Experiment 1857-1858
In the summer of 1857 former Navy Lt. Edward F. Beale was chosen by the Buchanan Administration to develop a wagon road from Fort Defiance, New Mexico Territory (now Arizona) to the Colorado River along the 35th parallel. Secretary of War John B. . . . — Map (db m48347) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 89 — 736th Tank Battalion (M) SP
Camp Bouse September 1943 to March 1944 "The Kid Battalion" From Normandy to the Elbe: •Normandy •Northern France •Ardennes •Rhineland •Central Europe — Map (db m78563) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 738th Medium Tank Battalion, SpecialWorld War II — 1943 – 1945
Dedicated to the men who gave time in their lives to serve honorably and courageously for our country. We take this moment in time to recognize their achievements which were done with pride and dignity. * * * Campaigns Ardennes - Alsace - . . . — Map (db m29160) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 95 — 739th Tank Battalion (SP) (ME)
Campaigns Ardennes, Rhineland and Central Europe The 739th Tank Battalion was activated in March 1943 at Fort Lewis, Washington. The officers were from various states, the enlisted personnel from Oklahoma, Texas and Louisiana. The . . . — Map (db m78558) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 90 — 740th Tank BattalionDaredevil Tankers
The 740th tank battalion was activated at Fort Knox, Ky. on March 1, 1943. It trained at Fort Knox and at Camp Bouse, Az. as a canal defense light (CDL) unit and as a standard medium tank battalion from October 15, 1943 to April 24, 1944 then sailed . . . — Map (db m78562) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — Camp Bouse
General George Patton established Camp Bouse in 1943 in the Butler Valley as the site for training over 5,500 carefully screened and qualified volunteers. These soldiers were trained to use a highly secret weapon called the Canal Defense Light. . . . — Map (db m29165) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 96 — Camp BouseThe 554th Ordnance - Heavy Maintenance Company (Tanks) — 9th Tank Group CDL Project
Activated 1 April, 1943 at Camp Perry, OH. Completed basic training and then sent to Ft. Knox, KY. Unit then assigned to Camp Bouse, AZ arriving there 9 November, 1943. Maintaining operation of special tanks named "Leaflets" was specific assignment. . . . — Map (db m78557) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 88 — Camp BouseThe 701st Tank Battalion
Campaigns Central Europe Northern France Rhineland The 701st tank battalion was activated 3/28/43 at Camp Campbell, KY. Here 553 young men and officers began their journey into history. These men began their basic training and for many saw . . . — Map (db m78564) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 86 — Camp BouseThe 526th A. I. B. - Canal Defense Light Project — Desert Training Center - California – Arizona Maneuver Area
Camp Bouse was established in Butler Valley 30 miles behind this monument in Sept. of 1943. It was one of twelve such camps built in the southwestern deserts to harden and train United States troops for service on the battlefields of World War II. . . . — Map (db m78566) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 114 — George L. WendtHeadquarters Company — 526 Armored Infantry Battalion
United States Army World War II 1924 – 2002 Whose dedication to the memory of his brothers in arms, who fell in the Battle of the Ardennes, made this historical park possible. — Map (db m78542) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 120 — In Memory of Eight Ball - Morale OfficerEquus asinus — Camp Bouse
He was our drinking buddy While on duty He drank our beer He was Full of good cheer And went to the nurses' quarters around the bend And came to an untimely end, Of the Colonel, he was unaware That it would be the crime of all time . . . — Map (db m78536) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — Monument Row
We bring to a close We tried to find We must now impose Units not found 748th Tank Battalion 150th Station Hospital 538th Ordnance Company 166th Quartermaster 629th Quartermaster — Map (db m29161) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 119 — The 526th Armored Infantry BattalionWorld War II
In honored memory of those soldiers of the battalion who trained here at Camp Bouse and gave their lives in combat to preserve the freedom of the United States and to set the Peoples of Europe free. Headquarters Company Donald D. . . . — Map (db m78537) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Quartzsite — Hi Jolly
The famous camel herd with which the name of Hi Jolly is linked constitutes an interesting sidelight of Arizona history....Jefferson Davis (afterward president of the Southern Confederacy), as Secretary of War, approved a plan to experiment with . . . — Map (db m70566) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Quartzsite — The Last Camp of Hi JollyCamel Driver, Packer, Scout
. . . — Map (db m32201) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Anthem — Anthem Veterans MemorialDedicated November 11, 2011
Every year on Veterans Day, the five pillars of the Memorial will align perfectly to cast one, long shadow across the circle of pavers at precisely 11:11 a.m. At the exact same time, the sunlight projecting through the elliptical openings in the . . . — Map (db m81043) WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Fort McDowell — Fort McDowell
This important military post protected central Arizona settlements from the Tonto Apaches during the Indian wars 1865-1886. Its function as a military post ended in 1890 and it became a reservation by executive order, September 15, 1909 as home of . . . — Map (db m27681) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Arizona's U.S.S. Arizona Memorial - In Memory of the Gallant MenWho Gave Their Lives on December 7, 1941 on the Battleship U.S.S. Arizona — During the Attack on Pearl Harbor
In memory of the gallant men who gave their lives on December 7, 1941 on the Battleship U.S.S. Arizona during the attack on Pearl Harbor Dedicated December 7, 1976 The Honorable Raul H. Castro, Governor of Arizona The contributions . . . — Map (db m26425) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Navajo Code TalkersUnited States Marine Corps - World War II
"Were it not for the Navajos, the Marines would never have taken Iwo Jima" Major Howard Connor, USMC 5th Marine Division Signal Officer In recognition of the Navajo Code Talkers who distinguished themselves in developing a Navajo . . . — Map (db m26823) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Kingman — Lt. Edward Fitzgerald Beale1822 - 1893
Pioneer in the path of empire hero of the War with Mexico, lieutenant in United States Navy. Appointed general by the Governor of California. Commanded exploration of wagon route to the Colorado River, with the only camel train in American History . . . — Map (db m32208) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Kingman — United States Army
Established Camp Beale's Springs about one mile north, March 25, 1871. For the protection of settlers and travelers on northern route. Served as Hualapais Indian Agency. Military Camp abandoned April 6, 1874. — Map (db m29358) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Green Valley — Titan II Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Museum
Tucson Air Museum Foundation of Pima County Titan II Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Museum Established May 8, 1986 571st SMS, 390th SMW Davis-Monthan AFB Strategic Alert July 1963 – November 1982 National . . . — Map (db m26926) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — N. W. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson
N. W. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson Marked 1926 by D.A.R. — Map (db m26462) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — N.E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson
N.E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson Marked 1926 by D.A.R. — Map (db m26460) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Presidio Wall & Pithouse
This marker locates the northeast corner of the adobe wall which surrounded the Royal Spanish Presidio San Agustin del Tucson. It is thought that a bastion, used as a lookout and as a defensive position, stood here. The site was excavated in 1954 by . . . — Map (db m83213) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — S. E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson
This disc marks the southeast corner of the old adobe wall that protected Tucson from the Indians in the early days - prior to 1845 Moved to this location in 1955 — Map (db m26461) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — U.S.S. Arizona 1916 - Wilber L. "Bill" Bower U of A Outstanding Achievement Awards
The bell in this clock tower is one of the two original ship's bells salvaged from the battleship U.S.S. Arizona following the attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941. In 1944, Wilber L. "Bill" Bowers, UA Class of 1927, discovered the bell . . . — Map (db m31199) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Bapchule — In Memory of the Men of St. Peter's Mission
Erected Nov. 11, 1945 In Memory of the Men of St. Peter's Mission Who served in World War II * Anthony Jose USA • Felix Kayyittan USA • Leo B. Manuel USA • Leonard Pangott USA • Roger Osife USA • Albert J Moreno USMC • Chester J . . . — Map (db m33700) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Camp Florence
This memorial is dedicated to the men and women who served our county in war and peace and to a significant era of rich local history. Camp Florence, an army training facility, once occupied the grounds now known as "Four Parks". Beginning in . . . — Map (db m32440) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Kerny — Kearny, ArizonaNamed in Honor of Stephen Watts Kearny — Brevet Major General U.S. Army
At the outbreak of the Mexican War in 1846, President Polk directed Colonel Kearny to organize the so-called "Army of the West" and to lead it to Santa Fe and thence on to secure California. On August 18, 1846, Kearny claimed the area of Santa Fe . . . — Map (db m34134) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Sacaton — Dedicated to Ira H. Hayes USMC
Dedicated to Ira H. Hayes USMC February 23rd 1992 by the Memorial Committee Lance Lewis Director, Shirley Lewis Coordinator JR Currea Artist In Country Vietnam Veterans Post 2 Tempe Arizona Ira H. Hayes American . . . — Map (db m32845) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Sacaton — Dedicated to the Memory of Matthew B. JuanCo. K 28th Infantry — First Arizonian Killed in the World War
Dedicated to the Memory of Matthew B. Juan Co K 28th Infantry First Arizonian Killed in the World War Battle of Cantingy May 28th 1918 — Map (db m42026) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Sacaton — Military Order Purple Heart of the U.S.A.
Military Order Purple Heart of the U.S.A. 1782 - 1932 Dedicated to KIA-MIA-WIA In memory of tribal members by Military Order of Purple Heart Sun Lakes, Arizona Chapter 1958 in the year 2000 [ Lower Plaque: ] This . . . — Map (db m40341) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Sonoita — Camp Crittenden
Established August 10, 1867. Named Camp Crittenden by Generals Orders No. 57 Department of California, September 30, 1867, in honor of Thomas S. Crittenden, Col. 32nd U.S. Infantry Major General U.S. Volunteers. Camp abandoned June 1, 1873. . . . — Map (db m27114) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Camp Verde — "0" Mile Post General Crook Trail
The Crook Road begins at this point with the first in a series of mile markers across the Mogollon Rim segment of the military supply trail connecting Forts Whipple, Verde and Apache. Reconnoitered in 1871 by General George Crook with a . . . — Map (db m28561) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Camp Verde — The Congressional Medal of Honor - Apache Campaign 1872 - 1873
The following named individuals were assigned, either permanently or temporarily, to Camp Verde, Arizona Territory. While stationed here their personal action in combat was above and beyond the call of duty, earning them the nation's highest . . . — Map (db m28593) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — John Towhey
Stone Marker: 14 Inf. N.Y. John Towhey Wounded Here 1861 Plaque Attached to Stone: -- January 1970 -- This stone with inscription of incident was originally located on the Yavapai Indian Reservation . . . — Map (db m21966) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Prescott National Guard Armory
Prescott was one of the first towns in Arizona to have a National Guard Unit. Companies B and C of the First Territorial Rifles were organized in Prescott in 1865 and Company M of the First Arizona Infantry was organized in 1910. Company M of the . . . — Map (db m33136) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Dateland — Boeing B-50A The "Long Ranger"
On the morning of March 23, 1950, an Air Force B-50 Bomber on a routine training mission, exploded and crashed north of the communities of Dateland and Hyder AZ. Two of the 14 crewman on board, Capt. John H. Lee and 1st. Lt. William T. Gentry, . . . — Map (db m28936) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Yuma — Camp LagunaDesert Training Center — California – Arizona Maneuver Area
Camp Laguna operated from April 1942 to April 1944. It was one of twelve such camps built in the southwestern deserts to train United States troops during World War II. The Desert Training Center, a simulated theater of operations, included . . . — Map (db m29061) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — First Three U.S. Deaths in WWI
In memory of Merle D. Hay Thomas Enwright James B. Gresham They were the first members of the Expeditionary Army of the United States in France to die that we might live stricken on the field of glory, November 3, . . . — Map (db m96633) WM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Manila — Herman DavisPvt. Co. I 113th Inf. — Sharpshooter and Company Runner
Enlisted March 14th 1918; Honorably discharged May 29th 1919 Cited for bravery for extraordinary heroism in action and decorated with: U.S. Distinguished Service Cross: Oct. 10th 1918 French Croix de Guerre with Palm: Apr. 19th 1919 Gilt Star . . . — Map (db m30388) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Arkansas Medal of Honor Monument
(Marker consists of over 20 panels as displayed below) — Map (db m62978) WM
Arkansas (Saline County), Benton — Saline County's Everlasting Tribute
Saline County’s Everlasting Tribute Here we enshrine forever the glorious memory of the living and the dead who through their valiant efforts and bitter sacrifice kept us a free people Theirs Not to Reason Why, Theirs But to Do . . . — Map (db m96594) WM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Defending Freedom
I never saw such fighting done as was done by the negro regiment…The question that negroes will fight is settled; besides they make better soldiers in every respect than any troops I have ever had under my command. ~General Blunt after the Battle of . . . — Map (db m59021) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Fort Wall
Security has always been a concern for the U.S. military. The army designed the second Fort Smith (1838-1871) as part of a line of forts from Minnesota to Louisiana to separate the territory occupied by Native American tribes from that settled by . . . — Map (db m59020) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Officer’s Garden
"The walls were almost hidden by a wealth of vines and foliage, and the enclosed space was as green as nature and care could make it. Beautiful flower beds were kept well tended by the soldiers and added greatly to the beauty of the grounds." . . . — Map (db m58615) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Old Commissary
This building, on the N.W. bastion of the wall, was the commissary of the fort. Built in 1839, used until 1871 when the fort was abandoned as a military post. From 1861-65 it served as a hospital, guard house, and refuge, now a museum. Erected . . . — Map (db m57921) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Old Federal Building
The old part of this building was the Barracks of the Fort, 1840-1871; Federal Court and Jail, 1872-1887; presided over by Judge I.C. Parker, 1875-1887. Erected as a public service by The Noon Civics Club — Map (db m57922) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Bastion That Never Was
When army engineers originally designed the second Fort Smith in 1838, they planned for it to withstand attack. A key feature in achieving this goal was a stone wall about twelve feet high and from two to three feet thick. This wall surrounded the . . . — Map (db m58434) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Commissary Storehouse
This is the oldest building still standing in Fort Smith. Originally built as part of a larger fortification, over the years its appearance and use changed dramatically. The building held supplies used by explorers and soldiers, played a crucial . . . — Map (db m58493) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Flagstaff
The U.S. Army built the original flagstaff at the second Fort Smith in 1846. As with many western military posts, the flagstaff stood tall so that its flag could be seen for miles. To attain a height of nearly 100 feet, the army joined two poles in . . . — Map (db m58432) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Guardhouse, 1849-1871
The guardhouse, constructed in 1849, was a focal point of daily activity at the second Fort Smith. Not only did the men assigned to guard detail operate out of this building, but the officer of the day, who was responsible for the daily business of . . . — Map (db m58132) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Officer’s Quarters
You are now standing on what was once Officer’s Row at the second Fort Smith. From 1846 to 1865, two large buildings stood on the western edge of the parade ground and provided housing for officers and their families. Unlike the cramped quarters of . . . — Map (db m58618) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Parade Grounds
For more than thirty years during the mid-1800s, soldiers drilled on the large parade ground before you. Flanked by the officer’s quarters to the right and the enlisted men’s barracks on the left, the parade ground was the center of life at the . . . — Map (db m58125) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Welcome to Fort Smith
Founded in 1817 by the U.S. Army to contain a volatile Indian feud, Fort Smith later served as a major supply depot for western military posts, and finally as headquarters of the Federal Court for the Western District of Arkansas. For over 80 years, . . . — Map (db m59027) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Purple Heart Memorial
Purple Heart Memorial Combat Wounded Veterans Dedicated May 20, 2005 — Map (db m78035) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville, — 936 Field Artillery Battalion
Dedicated to those who served and those who waited HQ & HQS Battery Austin, Carl D. ∙ Baldwin, Alvin E. ∙ Bartle, Billy J. ∙ Blake, Harold G. ∙ Blood, Rueben S. ∙ Bohannan, Billy W. ∙ Brown, Marion E. . . . — Map (db m62976) WM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Jos. H. McCourt / Bruno L. Putzker
In Memoriam Jos. H. McCourt 1877 – 1900 Co. F. 8th Cal Inf. U.S.V. – Co. I. 35th Inf. U.S.V. ——— Bruno L. Putzker 1880 – 1899 Btry. K. 3rd U.S. Army Berkeley men killed in action in . . . — Map (db m52400) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Veterans Memorial BuildingHenry H. Meyers, Architect, 1928 — City of Berkeley Landmark,designated in 1985
In the early 1920s Alameda County voters approved a special tax to construct buildings that would honor war veterans and provide a meeting place for their organizations. The City of Berkeley contributed the land for this building. Designed in the . . . — Map (db m52399) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Rear Admiral R.J. "Bear" Arnold, U.S.N.
Point Arnold is named after Rear Admiral R.J. "Bear" Arnold, U.S.N.. During World War II, Arnold earned the Navy Cross for extraordinary heroism as the supply officer on the USS YORKTOWN at the Battle of Midway. Chief of the Bureau of Supplies and . . . — Map (db m62994) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Amador County Veterans' Memorial
In memory of all men and women who honorably served in the armed forces of the United States of America — Map (db m72084) WM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Veterans Memorial Hall
Dedicated to the memory of the men and women who made the supreme sacrifice in the service of the United States of America. February 25, 1967 — Map (db m19333) HM
California (Calaveras County), Copperopolis — Copperopolis Armory
Copperopolis Armory, built by public subscription in 1866 for 8,000 dollars, was used by the Union Guard for enlisting and training troops. In 1866 it was sold to the Copperopolis Armory Hall Association for 800 dollars in gold and was used for . . . — Map (db m13003) HM
California (Calaveras County), Copperopolis — The Copperopolis Bell and Cannon
[Displayed at the Copperopolis Elementary School are a bell and a cannon along with their accompanying markers:] The Bell This bell cast in 1860, the first school in Copperopolis in 1862. The bell yoke shows repair, break . . . — Map (db m19793) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Coloma Greys
This building, perhaps originally a livery stable, was the armory for the Coloma Greys, a local volunteer militia company. After the Greys disbanded in 1862, the building was used as a carriage house by Elias Weller, who lived in the large white . . . — Map (db m17222) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown Blues
A Military Company Was Organized At Georgetown In August 1859, Called The Georgetown Blues This Is In Honor Of Them, And Dedicated To All United States Veterans Who Have So Honorably Answered Their Nation’s Call To Duty America . . . — Map (db m55078) HM
California (Humboldt County), Arcata — Camp Curtis1862-1865
In Memory of

Co. E & I 2nd. California Volunteer Infantry 1862 - 1863

Co. B 1st. Battalion Mountaineers California Volunteers 1863 - 1864

Co. A. 1st Battalion Native California Volunteer Calvary 1864 and

Marie Brizard . . . — Map (db m32567) HM

California (Humboldt County), Shelter Cove — Cape Mendocino Lighthouse
Lit Dec. 1, 1868, the light from its first order Fresnel lens swept 30 miles to sea. Decommissioned in 1951, the structure slowly began to inch toward the 422’ cliff. The light was dismantled in 1998 and moved to Point Delgada, Shelter Cove by the . . . — Map (db m1093) HM
California (Imperial County), Felicity — 985 — Site of Camp Pilot Knob
Camp Pilot Knob was a unit of the Desert Training Center, established by General George S. Patton Jr., to prepare American troops for battle during World War II. It was the largest military training ground ever to exist. At the peak of activity here . . . — Map (db m50590) HM
California (Imperial County), Palo Verde — Fort Gaston
Camp Gaston Near this spot,situated on the west bank of the Colorado river, about 45 miles of fort Yuma, Fort Gaston was established in 1859 by Captain Henry S. Burton, Company F 3rd Artillery. The Camp served as a supply post for the Hoffman . . . — Map (db m86209) HM
California (Inyo County), Big Pine — Big Pine Veterans Memorial
Marker 1: The Big Pine Veterans Memorial was established by the Big Pine Civic Club in the year 2000 to honor all veterans of the Owens Valley. The 80-foot tall pole proudly displays the "Stars and Stripes" with the California State flag . . . — Map (db m54427) HM
California (Inyo County), Independence — 349 — Camp Independence
At the request of settlers, Colonel George Evans led a military expedition to this site on July 4, 1862. Hence its name “Independence”. Indian hostilities ceased and the camp closed. War again broke out in 1865 and the camp was . . . — Map (db m2954) HM
California (Kern County), Arvin — Arvins Veterans
Dedicated with Pride and Appreciation to All Military Personnel from the Arvin and Lamont Area "Operaton Desert Storm" Janice Acree • Jose A. Garza • Javier Almaguer • Steven M. Gutierrez • John Alverez • Ted Johnson • Joe Baltierra • . . . — Map (db m59203) HM
California (Kern County), Arvin — Bakersfield National Cemetery
Dedicated to the Memory of All the Patriotic Men and Women Who Answered Their Country's Call to Service George W. Bush President of the United States James B. Peake Secretary U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs . . . — Map (db m59200) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Enternal Flame
We salute All Veterans Who Lie In God's Quiet Garden or Beneath His Murmuring Waves — Map (db m55746) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Kern County Veterans"Grove of Honor"
. . . — Map (db m72640) WM
California (Kern County), Edwards — Jackie Cochran"F-104 Starfighter Record Setter"
During her extraordinary 40-year flying career, aviation pioneer Jacqueline "Jackie" Cochran established more speed, altitude and distance records than any other pilot, male or female, in aviation history. While flying a USAF F-88A Sabre here at . . . — Map (db m53124) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — F-101B • “Voodoo”McDonnell
Originally developed from the McDonnell XF-88 penetration fighter, the F-101 was designed as a long-range bomber escort for the Strategic Air Command. The prototype made its first flight at Edwards AFB in September 1954. When high-speed, . . . — Map (db m62135) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — F-104A • “Starfighter”Lockheed
The first XF-104 made its initial flight here at Edwards AFB in February 1954. In May 1958, a YF-104A set a world speed record of 1,404.19 mph over Edwards, and in December 1959, an F-104C set a world altitude record of 103, 395 feet here. The . . . — Map (db m62133) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — F-105D • “Thunderchief”Republic
The YF-105 completed its maiden flight at Edwards AFB in October 1955, easily exceeding Mach One, even though it was powered by a J57 engine - much less powerful than its projected power plant, the J75. The D-model “Thud” added water . . . — Map (db m62132) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — F-106B • “Delta Dart”Convair
The F-106 Delta Dart had a long and illustrious career at Edwards AFB. The prototype A-model made its first flight here on 26 Dec 56. On 15 Dec 59, Col Joe Rogers piloted as F-106 A to a world speed record of 1,525.695 mph (Mach 2.41) here. In Apr . . . — Map (db m62130) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — F-16B"Fighting Falcon"
When first flown at Edwards AFB on January 20, 1974, the YF-16 was the most advance fighter in the world. The F-16B is a combat-capable two-seat version of the production F-16A. To date, over 4,000 F-16s have been manufactured worldwide and 122 B . . . — Map (db m63609) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — F-86F"Sabre"
The F-86, the Nation’s first swept-wing jet fighter, made its initial flight at what is now Edwards AFB on October 1, 1947. The first production model flew on May 20, 1948 and on September 15, 1948 an F-86A streaked to a world-record 670.9 mph. . . . — Map (db m63607) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — Leaps in Technology
The United States Air Force has always relied upon the application of leading-edge technologies to fulfill its mission of airpower projection. From the XP-59 of 1942 to the B-2, C-17, and F-22 of today, the Flight Test Center has been essential to . . . — Map (db m63608) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — TF-102A • “Delta Dagger”Convair
The F-102 was developed from the Convair XF-92 delta wing research aircraft of the late 1940s and the prototype made its initial flight in October 1953 at Edwards AFB. It became operational with the Air Defense Command in 1956. At the peak of . . . — Map (db m62134) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — YC-15McDonnell Douglas
Two built by McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing) as Advanced Medium STOL Transport (AMST) with Short Take Off and Landing ability. First flight 26 Aug 1975, landing at Edwards AFB. Pioneered supercritical wing on large aircraft; advanced airlift state . . . — Map (db m62137) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — YF-100A “Super Sabre”North American
The F-100 was the USAF’s first operational aircraft capable of flying faster than the speed of sound (760 mph) in level flight. The prototype YF-100A made its initial flight on 25 May 1953 and the first production aircraft was completed on October . . . — Map (db m62136) HM
California (Kern County), Lebec — Camel Trail TerminusFort Tejon
Jefferson Davis, “Father of National Highways,” as Secretary of War 1853-57 sponsored the importation of 33 camels for transporting military supplies to the west coast. The camel trail survey ran from San Antonio, Texas to Fort Tejon . . . — Map (db m32823) HM
California (Kern County), Lebec — 283 — Don Pedro Fages
In 1772, Don Pedro Fages, leaving the first written record of explorations in the south San Joaquin Valley, passed this site, traveling from San Diego to San Luis Obispo via Cajón Pass, Mojave Desert, Hughes Lake, Antelope Valley, Tejón Pass, Cañada . . . — Map (db m20132) HM
California (Kern County), Lebec — The Camels of Fort Tejon
In 1856 the U.S. Army started an experiment using camel for supply transport in the southwest. The camels proved ill suited to the American southwest. In November 1859 a civilian contractor turned over 28 camels to the Army at Fort Tejon. . . . — Map (db m32821) HM
California (Kern County), Lebec — The First and Only "Camel Brigade" of the United States Army
The first and only "Camel Brigade" of the United States Army commanded by Lt. Edward E. Beale 1857-1864. San Antonio, Texas to Fort Tejon, California. — Map (db m32820) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Duty~Honor~Country
The Sacrifices of few ensured the freedom of many. A grateful community remembers those who served in the Armed Forces of the United States during time of war and peace, whose courage and personal sacrifices defended and preserved our freedom. — Map (db m79895) WM
California (Los Angeles County), Arcadia — Santa Anita During World War II
Early in 1942 the US government designated Santa Anita Park for special usage during the war years. Pursuant to Executive Order 9066 signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, from March 30, 1942 until October 27, 1942 the facility was used as . . . — Map (db m68088) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Avalon — Avalon Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m69087) WM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — Joshua Memorial Park Veterans Monument
This monument is dedicated to the brave men and women that honorable served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America in time of peace, wars and conflict. The freedom of this great nation is only possible because of the sacrifice of . . . — Map (db m66336) WM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Headquarters of Commander Robert Field StocktonAvila Adobe
Headquarters of Com. Robert Field Stockton U.S.N. January 1847 — Map (db m81719) HM
California (Los Angeles County), North Hollywood — Pierce Brothers Valhalla Dignity MemorialVietnam Wall Experience
“Solders rest thy warfare O’er. Dream of fighting fields no more sleep the sleep that knows not breaking morn of toil, nor night of waking.” ~Sir Walter Scott — Map (db m55760) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — B-2 SpiritNicknamed "Stealth Bomber" — General Information
Manufacturer: Northrop Grumman Corporation Production Period: 1993 to 1997 Number Produced: 21 Production Series: Production Blocks 10, 20, and 30 Roles: Originally designed as a land-based all-weather intercontinental . . . — Map (db m47722) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — F-86F-30
[Right Panel:] F-86F-30 A/C SN: 23231 Construction #1021 FAA Registration N91FS Date Acquired: August, 1998 From: Own, donated by Tractor Corp Displayed: October, 1998 23 April 54 - First Flight 11 May 54 - . . . — Map (db m47721) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — James J. Stegman 1920 - 2009 / A-4C Skyhawk
James J. Stegman 1920 - 2009 Born Aug 23, 1920, in Offerle, Kansas. He was the 6th son of 18 children. In 1940, he joined the U.S. Marine Corps as a Private. As he worked up in rank to Sergeant, he also was sent to pilot school. He received . . . — Map (db m47729) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — Stanley P Butchart 1928 - 2008 / C-140 Jetstar
Stanley P Butchart 1928 - 2008 After receiving primary and secondary civilian pilot training. Butchart enlisted in the U.S. Navy in July 1942. Upon his completion of flight training at Corpus Christi, Tex., he joined torpedo-bomber Air . . . — Map (db m47723) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — San Gabriel Veterans War Memorial
Be it known by all who read these words that this Veterans War Memorial is dedicated to those men and women from San Gabriel who so gallantly served their country in times of national peril. City of San Gabriel 50th Anniversary Seal . . . — Map (db m66584) WM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Fort MacArthur / 500 Varas Square Historic District[Port of Los Angeles]
Juan Rodriquez Cabrillo, exploring for Spain, discovered Alta California and named San Pedro Bay, “Bahia de los Fumos” (Bay of Smokes, October 1542. The smoke on the Bay shore came from the native Suang-Na Indian Fires. Sebastian . . . — Map (db m51010) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — USS Iowa (BB-61)Turret 2 Explosion
Panel 1: On April 19, 1989, a powder explosion occurred in Turret 2 while IOWA was conducting peace-time gunnery drills off the island of Viesques, Puerto Rico. Preparing to fire, the center gun's powder bags exploded before the breech . . . — Map (db m70263) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Wilmington — 21 — Officers' Quarters, Drum Barracks, 1862-1868"Drum Barracks, Civil War Period"
Panel 1: Officers’ Quarters 1862 * Drum Barracks * 1868 Supply Depot, Department of the Southwest, U.S. Army. In memory of the historic past of this building and the importance of its association with early American history . . . — Map (db m52631) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — The Lone Sailor
This is a memorial to every one who ever sailed out of the Golden Gate in the service of their country - in the Navy, the Marine Corps, the Coast Guard, the Merchant Marine. A ship heading for sea passes directly by this spot at the northern . . . — Map (db m69495) WM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — 600 Bunkmates
Built in 1911, this concrete barracks building could house 686 men. By WW II, Fort McDowell has quarters for about 4,500 soldiers, including fourteen additional wooden barracks that once stood between the baseball field and this 600-man barracks. . . . — Map (db m69276) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Fort McDowell’s General Store
The Post Exchange, or PX, was built in 1910 to be a “one stop shopping place” for soldiers at Fort McDowell. Soldiers purchased clothing toiletries, and other supplies here. The PX also offered a restaurant, soda fountain, barbershop, . . . — Map (db m69279) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Play Games
If you listen carefully, you can hear the crack of a bat and soldiers cheering as a Fort McDowell “Indian” rounds third base and heads for home – Cole Field. The ball park was home to the men’s baseball team, the . . . — Map (db m69275) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — The Post Expands
Fort McDowell’s North Garrison was built in 1942 on the area below following the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor. North Garrison included several barracks, a 1600-man mess hall, an infirmary, a guard house, and a post exchange. It also included the . . . — Map (db m70259) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Treating the Troops
Construction for this 70-bed hospital began in 1911. The hospital treated soldiers returning from overseas for discharge. In 1918, the hospital annex was added to care for men with lingering illnesses. During the Nike Missile period . . . — Map (db m69301) HM

3847 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 3647
Paid Advertisement