Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

20th Century Historical Markers

2189 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1989
 
Clay County Courthouse image, Click for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., July 10, 2008
Clay County Courthouse
Alabama (Clay County), Ashland — Clay County Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the veterans of Clay County who so unselfishly served and to those who died in defense of their country Let it be said “We will never forget” Left Panel List of World War I, World War II and Korean War veterans . . . — Map (db m14302) WM
Alabama (Coffee County), Enterprise — Enterprise Depot
This building was built in 1903 with additions in 1916 and 1997. The first freight shipments and passengers came here on the Alabama Midland railroad in 1898 immediately after construction of the roadbed. That was also the year when most of the . . . — Map (db m30307) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), Enterprise — Rawls Hotel
Original two-story brick structure built 1903 by Japheth Rawls, developer of some of earliest turpentine plants in Coffee County. Building remodeled 1928 and three-story wings added by Jesse P. Rawls, founder of first electric power system in . . . — Map (db m30308) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Muscle Shoals — History of Muscle Shoals, Alabama
The city of Muscle Shoals began with the construction of U.S. Nitrate Plant No.2 and Wilson Dam for defense purposes in 1918. The name came from the great stretch of rapids in the Tennessee River that contained rocky shoals and an abundance of . . . — Map (db m83388) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — Paul Harvey Loyalty Day
On Loyalty Day this 30th day of April, 1967, we do pay honor and tribute to a great American - Paul Harvey - a man who has contributed much toward making this nation and especially Gadsden a better place to live. We salute a true champion of . . . — Map (db m83737) HM
Alabama (Franklin County), Red Bay — The Calaboose
You are standing near the site of “The Calaboose”, Red Bay's only jail until 1949 when the city hall was built. The Calaboose was a small brick building, approximately 10 feet by 20 feet, built over a small ditch. At that time, . . . — Map (db m68983) HM
Alabama (Jackson County), Scottsboro — Jackson County Courthouse And The Scottsboro Boys
Marker front: Constructed in 1911-1912 and designed by architect Richard H. Hunt, the Jackson County Courthouse is a Neo-Classical, brick building situated on a town square in Scottsboro, the county seat of Jackson County. The front, . . . — Map (db m22264) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — 4th Avenue District
The Fourth Avenue "Strip" thrived during a time when downtown privileges for blacks were limited. Although blacks could shop at some white-owned stores, they did not share the same privileges and services as white customers, so they created tailor . . . — Map (db m26985) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Belview Heights Neighborhood
The Corey Land Company, a group of prominent local businessmen headed by Robert Jemison, Jr., developed Belview Heights as a neighborhood for the professional employees of U.S. Steel in the 1910's. Extending the grid system being used in Ensley over . . . — Map (db m24351) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Clark Building
This building was constructed in 1908 by Louis V. Clark (1862-1934), who also built the historic Lyric Theater located nearby on 18th Street. The Clark Theater on Caldwell Park is named in honor of Mr. Clark’s generosity to the Birmingham Little . . . — Map (db m27515) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Fraternal Hotel Building
The Fraternal Hotel Building was built in 1925. Some of the businesses that were located in this building included: 1925 - 1980 Fraternal Hotel 1925 - 1970 Fraternal Café 1950 - 1966 Monroe Steak House 1985 - 1994 Grand Lodge Knights of . . . — Map (db m27518) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Glen Iris Park
Founded in 1898 by Robert Jemison, this 30-acre historic district is a private residential park containing an almost intact collection of some of Birmingham's finest 20th century houses. It was the first professionally landscaped residential . . . — Map (db m27520) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Rickwood Field
Built by local industrialist A. H. "Rick" Woodward, this park opened on August 18, 1910. It is the oldest surviving baseball park in America. Rickwood served as the home park for both the Birmingham Barons (until 1987) and the Birmingham Black . . . — Map (db m22526) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Temple Wilson Tutwiler, II / Tutwiler HotelMarch 22, 1923 - March 1, 1982
Temple Wilson Tutwiler, II “Tutwiler Green”, this section of Birmingham Green was so named in a resolution passed by the Birmingham City Council to honor the life and work of Temple Tutwiler II, who contributed greatly to the . . . — Map (db m27525) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Alabama TheatreBuilt 1927
Built by the Publix Theater division of Paramount Studios. This movie palace opened on December 26th, 1927. The theatre, in Spanish / Moorish design by Graven and Mayger of Chicago, seated 2500 in a five story, three-tiered auditorium. Paramount's . . . — Map (db m27337) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Heaviest Corner On Earth
At the turn of the 20th century, Birmingham was a small town of two and three story buildings with a few church steeples punctuating the skyline. During the industrial boom from 1902 to 1912 which made Birmingham the largest city in the state. Four . . . — Map (db m27500) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Iron Man: Vulcan
The giant, cast iron statue you see towering above you is Vulcan, the Roman god of metalwork and the forge. The 56-foot tall statue was commissioned by Birmingham leaders to represent their new, growing city at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair. After . . . — Map (db m26297) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Little Theater Clark Memorial Theatre Virginia Samford Theatre
Built in 1937 by Gen. Louis Verdier Clark from a design by architect William T. Warren as a community playhouse for cultural activities. It was recognized as one of the best of its kind in the nation. Mrs. Vassar Allen - first president, Bernard . . . — Map (db m27513) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Title Building
Designed by William C. Weston and erected in 1902, the Title Building was the second skyscraper built in Birmingham. It was the first building to supply its tenants with electric power with its own power-generating plant and the water supply was . . . — Map (db m27501) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Tuxedo Junction
"Tuxedo Junction" was the street car crossing on the Ensley-Fairfield line at this corner in the Tuxedo Park residential area. It also refers to the fraternal dance hall operated in the 1920's and 1930s on the second floor of the adjacent building, . . . — Map (db m25623) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Edgewood Lake (Drained 1940's) Birmingham Motor & Country Club / Edgewood Country Club(Demolished 1930's)
The developers of the Town of Edgewood, Stephen Smith and Troupe Brazelton, built the beautiful 117.4 acre lake and clubhouse in 1913-15. Amenities included a swimming pool, dance pavilion, fishing, boating and parking for hundreds of automobiles. . . . — Map (db m26963) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Founding Of Hoover
The City of Hoover has grown rapidly since its incorporation in 1967 from a small four block area west of this site. A metal shed behind Employers Ins. Co. became the first fire station and “city hall.” A bank, grocery, hardware, drug . . . — Map (db m28448) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — The Park Avenue Historical District
51 Structures, 70% residential, built early 20th century to post World War II period. The 1885 sale of Gardner Hale’s land began the housing development. The 33 acre 1924 Independent Presbyterian Church Children’s Fresh Air Farm, 1923 Bluff Park . . . — Map (db m28518) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Trussville — Cahaba Project"Slagheap Village" — A government project under President Franklin D. Roosevelt
A total of 243 houses and 44 duplex units were constructed from 1936 - 1938 at an overall cost of $2,661,981.26. Cahaba residents rented from the government until 1947, when the houses and duplexes were sold to individuals at prices ranging from . . . — Map (db m26227) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — 115th Signal BattalionOrganized 1940
At this site where once stood Fort Willingham (Armory) the 115th Signal Battalion was organized December 1, 1940. Originally the 2nd Battalion, 151st Engineers, it was organized a number of times from 1940 to 1959 as its mission was changed to meet . . . — Map (db m28562) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — McFarland Park and Recreation Area
This bottom land serves as a reservoir for TVA's flood control program. Florence leases it for recreational purposes when not being used by TVA. Major Robert McFarland, a native of Ireland, his wife, Kate Armstead McFarland, and their seven . . . — Map (db m28453) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Lexington — Grassy Memorial Chapel and Cemetery
Established in 1894 as New Salem Presbyterian Church. Originally affiliated with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the first recorded meeting was held 1897, William White, Pastor. The Church became affiliated with Presbyterian U.S.A. in 1907. . . . — Map (db m86305) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Courtland — Harris-Simpson Home
Side A This circa 1820 house is thought to be one of the oldest houses in Courtland. Occupying a lot platted by the Courtland Land Company in 1818, the house faces North toward what was once the main Tuscumbia Road. Dr. Jack Shackelford . . . — Map (db m84306) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Elkmont — Downtown Scenes
01: Looking south on Railroad Street. 02: McWilliams Store, June 1913. 03: Drugstore interior, 1940s. 04: Citizens' Bank, early 1900s. 05: Elkmont Post Office, circa 1900s. 06: Telephone switchboard, early 1900s. 07: Elkmont Post . . . — Map (db m93856) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Tallulah Bankhead / I. Schiffman Building1902-1968 / Birthplace of Tallulah Bankhead — Alabama’s Best-Known Actress
Side A Tallulah Bankhead was the toast of the London theatre in the 1920's, and nationally renowned for her dramatic roles in “The Little Foxes” (1939), “The Skin of Our Teeth” (1942), the movie . . . — Map (db m27850) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — The First Baptist Church Huntsville, Alabama
(Front): The First Baptist Church Huntsville Alabama Oldest Baptist Church (Missionary) in Alabama organized June 3, 1809 as the West Fork of Flint River Church. Presiding Clergy: John Canterbury, John McCutchen and John Nicholson. . . . — Map (db m30378) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Thrasher Memorial Fountain
Tom Goodman Thrasher August 4, 1916 December 19, 1999 -Grew up in Birmingham, Alabama -Studied Engineering at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa -Married the former Dorothy Wright of Belmont, Mississippi -Served in the Army in North . . . — Map (db m85611) HM
Alabama (Madison County), New Market — Site of Quick AirplaneConstruction And Flight
On this site, inventor and early aviation pioneer William Lafayette Quick and his sons designed and built the first airplane to be flown in the State of Alabama. Construction began in 1900. Awaiting an engine, it took nearly eight years to complete. . . . — Map (db m85841) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — On this Spot Woodrow Wilson Said:October 27, 1913 — 1913 - 1924
"I want to take this occasion to say that the United States will never again seek one additional foot of territory by conquest. She will devote herself to showing that she knows how to make honorable and fruitful use of the territory she has and she . . . — Map (db m86381) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Carolyn Cortner SmithFemale Architect Pioneer / Designed Delano Park Structures
(Front): Born in 1894 in Normandy, Tennessee, Carolyn Cortner was raised in the Courtland area of Lawrence County, Alabama. She attended Ward-Belmont College in Tennessee. She married Wilburn Smith in 1912. She did not attend formal . . . — Map (db m27814) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Dadeville — Tallapoosa County Peace Officers
Tallapoosa County Honors its Peace Officers who gave their lives in the line of duty Larry Neal Stone Camp Hill PD December 20, 1968 Roland Hicks, Jr. Camp Hill PD August 10, 1969 Clarence Martin . . . — Map (db m95078) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Navigation and Shipbuilding On The Black Warrior River
Navigation improvements to the Black Warrior River (1888-1895) spurred marine commerce throughout the 20th century. Local ship-builders included the Perkins Brothers, Herman & Son, Corp of Engineers Boatyard, and Baker Towboat. Vessel types included . . . — Map (db m28924) HM
Alaska (Fairbanks North Star Borough), Fox — Pipeline History
On November 16, 1973, through Presidential approval of pipeline legilation, Alyeska Pipeline Service Company received permission to begin construction of the 800-mile trans Alaska pipeline, its pump stations and the Marine Terminal at . . . — Map (db m20215) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Payson — The Dude Fire
On June 25, 1990 a lightning caused fire entrapped ten members of the Perryville fire crew in this canyon. Resulting in six fatalities. Before the fire was contained it had burned more than 24,000 acres and destroyed over 70 structures. This . . . — Map (db m28210) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Payson — These Trees Planted in Memory of the Firefighters Who Died in the Dude Fire June 26, 1990
These Trees Planted in Memory of the Firefighters Who Died in the Dude Fire June 26, 1990 Sandra J. Bachman • Joseph Chacon • Alex S. Contreras • James L. Denny • James E. Ellis • Curtis E. Springfield — Map (db m28211) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Parker — Poston Memorial Monument
[ The single 30 foot concrete pillar of the monument symbolizes "unity of spirit". The hexagonal base represents a Japanese stone lantern. The 12 small pillars situated around the monument make it a working sundial. Mounted on the 30 foot pillar . . . — Map (db m32258) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Arizona's U.S.S. Arizona Memorial - In Memory of the Gallant MenWho Gave Their Lives on December 7, 1941 on the Battleship U.S.S. Arizona — During the Attack on Pearl Harbor
In memory of the gallant men who gave their lives on December 7, 1941 on the Battleship U.S.S. Arizona during the attack on Pearl Harbor Dedicated December 7, 1976 The Honorable Raul H. Castro, Governor of Arizona The contributions . . . — Map (db m26425) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Father Albert Braun O.F.M.Born September 5, 1889 Died March 6, 1983
Father Albert was a young missionary and teacher to the Mescalero Apaches in New Mexico and other tribes in Arizona. Father Braun was an Army chaplain in World War I and World War II receiving the Purple Heart and two Silver Stars for his heroic . . . — Map (db m26830) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Navajo Code TalkersUnited States Marine Corps - World War II
"Were it not for the Navajos, the Marines would never have taken Iwo Jima" Major Howard Connor, USMC 5th Marine Division Signal Officer In recognition of the Navajo Code Talkers who distinguished themselves in developing a Navajo . . . — Map (db m26823) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — The Arizona Korean War Veterans Memorial
The Arizona Korean War Veterans Memorial is dedicated to those Arizona men and women who served during the Korean War June 25, 1950 - July 27, 1953 *** Arizona Korean War Veterans Memorial Commissioners MG Donald L. Owens, AZ ANG . . . — Map (db m27350) WM
Arizona (Mohave County), Kingman — Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad DepotBuilt 1907
This building has been placed on The National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior. Atchinson, Topeka & Sante Fe Railroad Depot Built 1907 Kingman's early existence depended upon the . . . — Map (db m29412) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — 1991 — Coronado Hotel
1928 — Built by the T.C. Triplett Company for Harold M. Brooks as a 46-room hotel. 1928-1974 — Remained in operation as an active hotel. 1982 — Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 1991 — . . . — Map (db m27078) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Hotel Congress
The venerable Hotel Congress, designed by well-known architect, Roy Place, is the last surviving historic hotel in downtown Tucson. This three-story landmark was built in 1919 with exposed masonry construction and marble details. The hotel, south of . . . — Map (db m83200) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — The Stork's Nest
The Sanborn Fire Maps for the City of Tucson first recorded this building in 1883 as an adobe dwelling with an attached ramada. Between 1901 and 1930 additions were made to the main building and construction was completed on the outbuilding behind . . . — Map (db m83244) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — U.S.S. Arizona 1916 - Wilber L. "Bill" Bower U of A Outstanding Achievement Awards
The bell in this clock tower is one of the two original ship's bells salvaged from the battleship U.S.S. Arizona following the attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941. In 1944, Wilber L. "Bill" Bowers, UA Class of 1927, discovered the bell . . . — Map (db m31199) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Coolidge — Stephen Tyng MatherJuly 4, 1867 — Jan. 22, 1930
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service. Defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — Map (db m27206) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Sacaton — Dedicated to Ira H. Hayes USMC
Dedicated to Ira H. Hayes USMC February 23rd 1992 by the Memorial Committee Lance Lewis Director, Shirley Lewis Coordinator JR Currea Artist In Country Vietnam Veterans Post 2 Tempe Arizona Ira H. Hayes American . . . — Map (db m32845) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Sacaton — Dedicated to the Memory of Matthew B. JuanCo. K 28th Infantry — First Arizonian Killed in the World War
Dedicated to the Memory of Matthew B. Juan Co K 28th Infantry First Arizonian Killed in the World War Battle of Cantingy May 28th 1918 — Map (db m42026) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — 8 — Arizona Pioneer Home
To those responsible for the Arizona pioneer's home A. J. Doran Introduced enabling legislation - 1907 Supervised construction - 1910 First Superintendent – 1911 George D. Morris Reintroduced Successful enabling . . . — Map (db m32903) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Hassayampa Inn
After ten years of planning, community leaders of Prescott finally raised sufficient funds to build a modern hotel which catered to the "auto tourist" in downtown Prescott -- The Hassayampa Inn. On February 28, 1927, at the site of the former Conner . . . — Map (db m20621) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Hotel Vendome
The Hotel Vendome, referred to in a contemporary newspaper article as an "apartment house", was built on South Cortez Street in 1917 by J. B. Jones. An article in Yavapai Magazine in November 1917 refers to it as the "Hotel Vendome" and states "its . . . — Map (db m18862) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Prescott
Prescott, Yavapai County Seat, founded 1864 on Granite Creek, source of Placer gold. Named for William Hickling Prescott, Historian, first Gov. JN. N. Goodwin, Appointee of Abraham Lincoln. Established first territorial capital of Arizona here. At . . . — Map (db m18805) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The International Society of Arboriculture and the National Arborist Association
The International Society of Arboriculture and the National Arborist Association jointly recognize this significant tree in this bicentennial year as having lived here during the American Revolutionary Period. 1776 1976. [Added brass . . . — Map (db m18861) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Yuma — Robert G. Fowler
. . . — Map (db m29046) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Duarte GarageBuilt 1915
Service Station and Car Dealership Situated on the Original Route of the Lincoln Highway ———————— City of Livermore Historic Preservation Site Dedicated July 1996 Operated by The . . . — Map (db m19994) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — Meadowlark Dairy - The Dairy SiloAlviso Adobe Community Park
At roughly 45 feet high, the Meadowlark Dairy silo was a distinctive visual landmark. This circular paving marks the silo’s approximate location. The original silo and barn were much larger. Silage, fodder for animals, is created by partially . . . — Map (db m24663) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — Meadowlark Dairy – Dairy BunkhouseAlviso Adobe Community Park
There were once many buildings on the Meadowlark Dairy complex. One important building was a place for the ranch hands and workers to sleep and socialize. This bunkhouse is a smaller version of the one that was at the dairy. The current Foothill . . . — Map (db m24665) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — San Leandro – Industry
West side of marker: San Leandro’s first industries served the needs of farmers. In 1886, Daniel Best bought San Leandro Plow and formed Daniel Best Agriculture Works to manufacture tractors, combines, and harvesters. Best’s son . . . — Map (db m26437) HM
California (Alameda County), Sunol — Sunol Water Temple
[Main Marker:] California Historic Civil Engineering Landmark Alameda Creek Water System 1888 San Francisco Section A802 1975 [Second Marker:] Restoration of the Sunol Water Temple Started May 27, 1997 . . . — Map (db m24499) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Ione City Hall and Police Offices
City Council Michael C. Bohl, Mayor • Bobbie Potts, Mayor Pro Tem • Gary Beck, Councilman • Jim Brazil, Councilman • Loreta Tillery, Councilwoman Staff Randy L. Johnsen, City Administrator • Janic Traverso, City Clerk • Guy Reynolds, . . . — Map (db m2376) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Iron Ivan
Old No. 7 was the last steam locomotive to operate over the Amador Central Railroad between Ione and Martell. The twelve mile long railroad lies entirely within Amador County and is one of the shortest railroads in this country. Iron Ivan is a fine . . . — Map (db m2371) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Archimandrite Sebastian Dabovich
Very Reverend Archimandrite Sebastian Dabovich The First Administrator of the Serbian Church In America – Born in San Francisco on June 21, 1863 – Died November 30, 1940 in the Monastery of Zitcha at the Age of Seventy-Seven. — Map (db m13966) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Central Eureka Mine
Was begun here in the early 1850’s as the Badger and later the Summit Mine. It consolidated with Hayward’s old Eureka Mine in 1924 as the Central Eureka Company, Amador Consolidated Mines. The main shaft reached a depth of 4,965’. It was the last of . . . — Map (db m13084) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — Carlo Andrea Dondero
Discoverer and Founder of the California Carrara Marble Quarry Located 3.49 miles southwest of this location on Sutter Creek Volcano Road several hundred feet above the river. This quarry produced high quality marble used in the . . . — Map (db m27809) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — 809 — The Last Yahi Indian
For thousands of years the Yahi Indians roamed the foothills between Mt. Lassen and the Sacramento Valley. Settlement of this region by the White Man brought death to the Yahi by gun, by disease, and by hunger. By the turn of the century only a few . . . — Map (db m17743) HM
California (Butte County), Paradise — Town of Paradise Memorial TrailwaySPRR Milepost 198.2 – Site of the Paradise Rail Yard
The rail yard housed the depot, a water tank, a stockyard, as well as a siding and spur. A motorcar house was located further up the track. The depot was retired on January 19, 1960. The coming of the railroad was the major event that sparked . . . — Map (db m29674) HM
California (Calaveras County), Copperopolis — Copperopolis Armory
Copperopolis Armory, built by public subscription in 1866 for 8,000 dollars, was used by the Union Guard for enlisting and training troops. In 1866 it was sold to the Copperopolis Armory Hall Association for 800 dollars in gold and was used for . . . — Map (db m13003) HM
California (Calaveras County), Tamarack — Camp Tamarack
For more than 80 years, the area was known as Onion Valley due to the profusion of wild onions growing here. It was mainly used as a summer stock range. In the late 1860-70’s a sawmill was operated by C. Brown. Later a man called . . . — Map (db m40974) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — The Cannery Lady
In the early 19th century many canneries operated throughout California. The rich agricultural and fishing areas of east Contra Costa County hosted a number of canneries and packing sheds. The picturesque Antioch waterfront was home to two canneries . . . — Map (db m18292) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Beer Garden
This beer garden, a recent addition to Coloma, was built by Jim Bridgham in the mid 1950s. Jim and his sister Margaret operated a business called the “Hitching Rack” and built the beer garden so the “locals” could sit around, . . . — Map (db m17429) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Mining Ditches
Mining ditches were dug by ditch companies to carry vast amounts of water needed for placer mining. Thousands of miles of ditches and flumes were built in the gold country; some brought immense profits to their owners. As mining declined in the . . . — Map (db m17484) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Monroe Family Homestead
The home of the pioneer Monroe family stood here for more than a century. The family matriarch, Nancy Gooch, came across the plains from Missouri as a slave in 1849. She gained her freedom in 1850 when California joined the Union as a . . . — Map (db m17455) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Monroe House
Perly Monroe was the grandson of Peter and Nancy Gooch, who were freed from slavery here when California became a state in 1850. The Monroe family became successful fruit farmers and prominent property holders in Coloma. Built in 1925, this house is . . . — Map (db m17205) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Papini House
This home is located near the site of an 1853-1864 bakery and confectionery store and owned and operated by Luther Davis. The impressive Davis home was located on the hill, some 100 feet behind the bakery. Both were dismantled after 1885. This . . . — Map (db m17164) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Schulze House
This house was built in 1916 by Charles Schulze for his daughter Daisy, who visited Coloma occasionally. Schulze had been a miner, blacksmith, teamster and mason. In 1886 he fell heir to the Sierra Nevada House and became a hotelkeeper. He died in . . . — Map (db m17170) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado — Hiram No.43 Masonic Building
Hiram Lodge No.43: Free and Accepted Masons, was chartered in the town of Mud Springs, as it was ten called, May 16, 1854. The Lodge met in rented buildings until the completion of this brick edifice in 1862. On September 17, 1923 a fire . . . — Map (db m12396) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — County of El Dorado Courthouse Restoration
Board of Supervisors John M. Caswell – District 1, William V.D. Johnson – District 2, Thomas M. Goodloe, Jr. – District 3, Raymond E. Lawyer, Chairman – District 4, Gerald E. Martin – District 5. Robert Mason, . . . — Map (db m12755) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Placerville Hardware
Oldest continuously operating hardware store west of the Mississippi River One hundred forty years in business — Map (db m13154) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Swift Berry“Mr. Clamper”
Born Nebraska 1887. Educated Biltmore Forest School, North Carolina. Began career 1908 in California with U.S.F.S. Major U.S. Army A.E.F. 1917 – 1919 General Manager Michigan California Lumber Co. 1925 – 1949 California State . . . — Map (db m57974) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — The Old Vet’s Building
In 1852 Phillip L. Platt preempted a ½ quarter section here. He erected a log building for the lodging of miners. He named his hotel The Kossuth House. Dr. Platt died in 1853. His widow sold the property to Anna W. Clark for $200 in 1856. She . . . — Map (db m13165) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Thomas MaulSuperior Judge — 1885 – 1954
Lawyer This plaque is a memorial To our beloved citizen Who sponsored this park and many other civic improvements — Map (db m13172) HM
California (Humboldt County), Patrick's Point — William Z. Hegy1915 - 1986
A native of Plunkett, Saskatchewan, Canada. Graduated from Stanford University with a degree in Civil Engineering, began work with the Division of Highways in 1936. He worked in many positions and locations throughout his career, becoming State . . . — Map (db m1509) HM
California (Humboldt County), Shelter Cove — Mario Machi
1914–1998. A founder of Shelter Cove with brothers Tony and Babe Machi. A ready smile, a friendly wave, a faraway look waiting for his fishermen to return—we’re thankful we’ve known this gentle man. A hero in war. Survivor . . . — Map (db m1057) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Angel’s Flight
Built in 1901 by Colonel J. W. Eddy, lawyer, engineer, and friend of President Lincoln, Angel's Flight is said to be the world's shortest incorporated railway. The counterbalanced cars, controlled by cables, travel a 33 percent grade for 315 . . . — Map (db m32455) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — James Dean1931 - 1955
Key scenes from the classic motion picture "Rebel Without a Cause" were filmed at the Griffith Observatory in Spring 1955. Although many movies have been filmed at Griffith Observatory, "Rebel Without a Cause"was the first to portray the . . . — Map (db m20240) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — William Mulholland1855 - 1935
A penniless Irish immigrant boy who rose by the force of his industry, intelligence, integrity and intrepidity to be a sturdy American citizen, a self-educated engineering genius, a whole-hearted humanitarian, the father of the city's water system, . . . — Map (db m32188) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Friendship Bell — Korean Bell of Friendship and Bell Pavilion, Angels Gate Park
The friendship bell, overlooking the Pacific Ocean, was presented as a gift from the people of the Republic of Korea to the people of the United States of America on the occasion of the American Bicentennial Jubilee to further the friendship and . . . — Map (db m51064) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Saugus — 919 — St. Francis Dam Disaster Site
The 185-foot concrete St. Francis Dam, part of the Los Angeles aqueduct system, stood 1½ miles north of this site. On March 12, 1928, the 185-foot high concrete dam collapsed just before midnight, sending 12½ billion gallons of water . . . — Map (db m30666) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Signal Hill — 580 — Discovery Well - Signal Hill Field
Shell Oil Company – Alamitos No. 1 • June 25, 1921. One of the world’s most famous wells, Alamitos No. 1, was started on March 23, 1921, and completed June 25, 1921, at a depth of 3,114 feet, flowing 590 barrels of oil a day. . . . — Map (db m2476) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — 653 — “The Cascades”
This is the terminus of the Los Angeles-Owens River Aqueduct, which brings water 338 miles from the eastern slopes of the Sierra Nevada to the City of Los Angeles. Begun in 1905, the great aqueduct was completed November 5, 1913. The Mono Craters . . . — Map (db m20089) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Valencia — The Ridge Route
The super highway of its day when opened in 1915. The Ridge Route, California’s first mountain highway, has been credited by some (for better or worse) as saving the state from being divided into two separate states. Constructed, graded, and paved . . . — Map (db m30783) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Burdell Frame House
This two-story, clapboard structure, known as the Burdell Frame House, was built in 1874 for Mary Burdell’s cousin, Mary Joynsen. Originally a rectangle building, it has been modified with a projecting, two story addition on the end facing . . . — Map (db m13246) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — 999 — Marin County Civic Center
The Civic Center Complex was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright (1869-1959) near the end of his long career. The Administration Building was completed in 1962 and the Hall of Justice in 1970. They are the only government buildings designed by the . . . — Map (db m32748) HM
California (Mono County), Coleville — Mountain Warfare Training CenterU.S. Marine Corp
Was established in 1951, in cooperation with the U.S. Forest Service. One of the Corps most remote and isolated posts. The mission was providing cold weather training for Korea bound replacement personnel. The name changed to “Marine Corp Cold . . . — Map (db m11919) HM
California (Mono County), Lee Vining — Upside-Down House
A distinctive local landmark and nationally renowned tourist attraction. It was the creation of - Nellie Bly O’Bryan (1893–1984), visionary, entrepreneur and long time resident of the Mono Basin. Originally, located along US-395 north of . . . — Map (db m10167) HM
California (Mono County), Mammoth Lakes — McGee Mountain Rope Tow #34
The first permanent rope tow in the Eastern Sierra was built west of this site on the east slope of McGee Mountain. This predecessor of Mammoth Mountain ski area was constructed here in 1938 because of its dependable snow and nearness to a highway. . . . — Map (db m2951) HM
California (Mono County), Walker — The C-130 CrewLost During the Cannon Fire - June 17, 2002
In Loving and Grateful Memory of The C-130 Crew Steve Wass, Craig Labare and Mike Davis Who gave their lives to save our community on June 17, 2002 — Map (db m23036) HM
California (Monterey County), Salinas — N2098 — The Steinbeck House132 Central Avenue — Salinas, California
This beautiful Victorian was built by merchant J. J. Conner in 1897, and sold at the turn of the century to John Ernst and Olive Hamilton Steinbeck. On February 27,1902 John Steinbeck was born in what is now the reception room. He remained a . . . — Map (db m25107) HM
California (Napa County), St. Helena — Larkmead Winery / Kornell Cellars
Felix Salmina arrived from Switzerland in the 1860’s and in 1892 purchased this winery that had been established in 1884 by Lillian Hitchcock Coit. Felix converted the winery into a larger facility using stone quarried from nearby hills and expanded . . . — Map (db m18601) HM
California (Nevada County), Grass Valley — Lyman Gilmore, Jr.1874 – 1951
Lyman Gilmore, Jr. established the first commercial airport on this site in 1907. To him and his memory the people of this community dedicate this school as the: Lyman Gilmore School Grass Valley School District Board of Trustees Brian A. . . . — Map (db m13289) HM
California (Nevada County), Grass Valley — 855 — Mount Saint Mary’s Convent and Academy
Built by the Reverend Thomas J. Dalton and dedicated May 2, 1865 by Bishop Eugene O’Connell as Sacred Heart Convent and Holy Angels Orphanage. Under the Sisters of Mercy it served from 1866 to 1932 as the first orphanage of the Northern Mines. It . . . — Map (db m12898) HM
California (Nevada County), Nevada City — Malakoff Diggins Clampicnic Area
This picnic area, sponsored by Wm. Bull Meek-Wm. Morris Steward Chapter Number 10, E Clampus Vitus, is for the enjoyment of all. The redwood lumber for the tables came from Nevada City's Christmas Tree, a Sequoiadendron Giganteum and continues to . . . — Map (db m857) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Auburn Post OfficeHistorical Landmark
. . . — Map (db m12358) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Gietzen Fire Station
In honor of Henry Gietzen, Member of the Auburn Volunteer Fire Department since September 12, 1922; Fire Chief from 1946 to present. Dedicated in July 1974. William Chaix, Trustee; Egar E. Ganow, Trustee; Henry Gietzen, Fire Chief; J. A. . . . — Map (db m687) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad1876 – 1942 — Placer County Terminus
Depot was 100 yards N.E. of this spot. Built by John Flint Kidder between 1874-76. It ran 22 miles from Colfax to Nevada City via Grass Valley. Rails taken up on 1942. Sarah Kidder, widow of builder , world’s first woman railroad president 1901 . . . — Map (db m14438) HM
California (Placer County), Lincoln — Fleming Building
Erected in 1863 – 1864 By John Ziegenbein as a general store Sold to Herman Lohse 1879; to George Aldrich 1881; To A.C. Fleming (& Alex Hemphill) in 1888 Bank of Lincoln, Lincoln’s first bank, here 1902 – 1911 U.S. Post . . . — Map (db m17784) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — 985 — Desert Training CenterCalifornia Arizona Maneuver Area
The D.T.C was established by Major General George S. Patton Jr. in response to a need to train American combat troops for battle in North Africa during World War II. The camp, which began operation in 1942 covered 18,000 square miles. It was the . . . — Map (db m50700) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — The Desert Training Center
[This is a four sided monument displaying three different markers:] Front - Facing West: Desert Training Center * Camp Young * Maj. Gen. George S. Patton Jr., U.S. Army, selected Camp Young as headquarters site for the Desert . . . — Map (db m32139) HM
California (Riverside County), Desert Center — 11 — Gus Lederer 1868-1932
Prospector Burro Fancier Vegetable Gardener "Mayor of Corn Springs" — Map (db m78596) HM
California (Riverside County), Temecula — #3 — First National Bank
Built in 1912 by Eli Barnett. Completed in 1914, the Temecula bank was locally owned and known as the "Pawn Shop" by its rancher directors. The bank was robbed on August 13th, 1930. The robber was promptly captured by townspeople and the loot was . . . — Map (db m26202) HM
California (Sacramento County), Elk Grove — 817 — Site of the First County Free Library Branch in California
In 1908 Elk Grove acquired through the efforts of Miss Harriet G. Eddy, then principal of Elk Grove Union High School, the first county free library branch in California. Subsequently, California's county free library branch system has become one of . . . — Map (db m11868) HM
California (Sacramento County), Elk Grove — The Lincoln Highway
The Lincoln Highway, a coast to coast all weather road from Times Square in New York to San Francisco’s Lincoln Park, was an idea whose birthday was the 10th of September 1912. This road which freed America from the clutches of changeable weather . . . — Map (db m18026) HM
California (Sacramento County), Fair Oaks — Jim’s Bridge
Named in honor of Jim Jones whose love for the American River and fervor to protect its fisheries and flow levels greatly enhanced the river and parkway. When this bridge was no longer needed for mining activities, Jim fought to save it so that . . . — Map (db m377) HM
California (Sacramento County), Folsom — J. Clifton Toney
In Memory of J. Clifton Toney Publisher of the Folsom Telegraph 1962 – 1976 His vision resulted in the Development of the Sutter Street Mall — Map (db m14378) HM
California (Sacramento County), Gold River — The Treasured American River
The river before you is not the same river that flowed through here 200 years ago when the Nisenan Indians caught salmon and collected acorns along its bank. The river has been mined, dammed and surrounded by our cities, yet it still supports . . . — Map (db m15836) HM
California (Sacramento County), Locke — Locke Memorial Park
In memory of the industrious Chinese pioneers of California whose strength and sacrifice helped build the transcontinental railroad, construct the levees of the Sacramento San Joaquin Delta, and develop agriculture in the Central Valley. With . . . — Map (db m18234) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Anthony J. “Tom” LoPresti1962 National PGA Pro of the Year
. . . — Map (db m14979) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 967 — California Almond Growers ExchangeAlmond Processing Facility
The California Almond Growers Exchange founded in 1910, was first successful grower-owned co-operative for marketing California almonds. It pioneered in many fields, including almond production, mechanization and marketing. The first structure on . . . — Map (db m11862) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — California Firefighters Memorial
Honoring men and women of uncommon courage who paid the ultimate price to protect our lives, our families and our dreams — Map (db m14836) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — California State Capitol
ORIGINAL CONSTRUCTION – 1860 – 1874 Miner F. Butler – Won Design Competition, 1860 Ruben Clark, Supervising Architect, 1860 – 1865 Gordon P. Cummings, Supervising Architect, 1865 – 1870 Kenitzer & . . . — Map (db m14834) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Dr. Alister MacKenzieGolf Course Designer
On August 19, 1931, famous Golf Course Designer Dr. Alister MacKenzie was selected by the City of Sacramento to lay out the new Sacramento Municipal 18-Hole Golf Course, which opened for play on October 1, 1932. The course name was changed to . . . — Map (db m14938) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Dr. Benjamin F. Pendery
BORN August 11, 1846 DIED April 26, 1905 This monument is dedicated to Dr. Pendery, his family, and all the men and women of medicine who were moved here from the New Helvetia Cemetery in 1955 – 1956. Erected June 12, 1999 by . . . — Map (db m18946) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Edmonds Field1910 – 1960
This was the site of home plate at Edmonds Field, home of the Pacific Coast League’s Sacramento Solons Baseball Team for fifty years. More than 4,200 games were played here over those years and Solon fans set several PCL attendance records. The . . . — Map (db m17071) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — First United Methodist ChurchFounded October 28, 1849 — Sacramento’s Third Organized Church
The original building was located on land at the S. E. corner of 7th and L Sts. Donated by Capt. John Sutter. It was known as The Baltimore Chapel. Prefabricated in Baltimore and shipped around The Horn, it became the first house of worship in . . . — Map (db m11885) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Frank C. Freer
This plaque is dedicated to Frank C. Freer by the City of Sacramento in recognition of his commitment of over 50 years to improving the game of golf in Sacramento, California. • Member-Sacramento Golf Club at Haggin Oaks • Member-Sacramento . . . — Map (db m14907) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 823 — Governor’s Mansion
This mansard-styled Victorian house was built for Albert Gallatin in 1877. Acquired by the State, it served as the first official Governor's residence. Governor George C. Pardee and his family moved in during November, 1903. It ultimately served as . . . — Map (db m13882) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Historic Street Lights
Historic Street Lights Restored by SACRAMENTO MUNICPAL UTILITY DISTRICT Personnel and Traffic Signals & Street Lighting Employees of the City of Sacramento Department of Public Works Installed by Allen L. Bender, . . . — Map (db m16521) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — James Logan ButlerThe Silver Baron of Tonopah, Nevada
. . . — Map (db m13950) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Ken Morton, Sr.
• 1998 National PGA Golf Professional of the Year • 1998 National PGA Merchandiser of the Year (Public Course) • 1994 National PGA Horton-Smith Award Winner • 1990 National PGA Merchandiser of the Year (Public Course) Ken Morton, Sr. . . . — Map (db m14857) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Kenneth L. Maddy
Dedicated to the Memory of KENNETH L. MADDY 1934 – 2000 served in the California State Legislature from 1970 to 1998, and as the Senate Minority Leader from 1987 to 1995. ”As someone who spent nearly three decades in the . . . — Map (db m15028) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 614 — Leland Stanford House
The house originally designed in 1857 by Seth Babson and was purchased by Leland Stanford in 1861. It served as the State Executive Office from 1861 to 1867, before the completion of the State Capital. It was later extensively remodeled and . . . — Map (db m11842) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Liberty Bell Replica
Dedicated To You, A Free Citizen In A Free Land This reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to the people of California by direction of The Honorable John W. Snyder Secretary of Treasury As the . . . — Map (db m14837) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Luella Buckminster-Johnston1861 – 1958
An outspoken proponent of suffrage for women, she became the first of her gender elected to a municipal office in Sacramento, being swept into office by an all male electorate before women attained the right to vote. Widow of a politician and . . . — Map (db m15621) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Merchant Marine Monument
Dedicated to all Merchant Marine Seaman Members of the U.S. Merchant Marines serving world wide aboard U.S. Flag cargo ships during World War II suffered a greater percentage of war-related deaths than did all of the nation’s regular armed . . . — Map (db m16493) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Michael “Mac” McDonaghBorn in Tuam Co. Galway on December 29, 1900
In recognition of Michael “Mac” McDonagh for his 32 years of service as Superintendent of Golf for the City of Sacramento from 1932 – 1964. Mac McDonagh went to England in 1923 to become an apprentice in golf course construction . . . — Map (db m14939) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Re-Internment Site For New Helvetia Cemetery
In memory of the persons Laid to rest between 1849 and 1912 by the County of Sacramento at New Helvetia Cemetery Dedicated by the Sacramento County Board of Supervisors Sacramento County Cemetery Advisory Commission . . . — Map (db m18967) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Sacramento’s Maritime Heritage
The second world war found river transportation companies continuing service on the Sacramento River while under the restrictions of wartime conditions. In the 1950’s, river commerce consisted of the transportation of barges of bulk grain, . . . — Map (db m16467) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Sisters of Mercy
During the Gold Rush Days of 1857, the Sisters of Mercy came to Sacramento to care for the children of the miners and to serve the sick and the homeless. In those early days, the Sisters purchased land in the heart of the city to build a school. . . . — Map (db m14839) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 869 — Site of First and Second State Capitals at Sacramento
Sacramento’s first county courthouse, formerly located on this site, served as California’s State Capital from January 16, 1852 to May 4, 1852 for the third session of the legislature and from March 1, 1854 to May 15, 1854 for the fifth session. . . . — Map (db m14803) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — The California Peace Officers MemorialIn Tribute
Since statehood, the people of California have sought and cherished a quality of life unsurpassed in this great nation. There have been among us those who chose to serve as peace officers and when called upon unselfishly gave more than we have the . . . — Map (db m14814) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — The Docks
“The Docks” has had a remarkably varied occupational history. Gold Rush immigrants camped along the riverbank. In the following years, a limited number of individuals and families lived in the area in private residences and lodging . . . — Map (db m16511) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — The Guy West Bridge
Named in honor of Dr. Guy A. West Founding President of Sacramento State College (1947 – 1966) Under his guidance and dedicated leadership, the university grew from four faculty and fewer than two hundred students to a . . . — Map (db m19578) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — The Interurban Railroad Lines
Another distinctive era in the demographic history of the southern waterfront occurred when the construction of several interurban railroad lines along Front Street revitalized the area. In the first decade of the 20th century, several interurban . . . — Map (db m16544) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — The Northern Electric Bridge
In 1911, the Northern Electric Railway Company, along with Sacramento and Yolo counties, built the Northern Electric Bridge. The bridge carried a single railroad track with twin motor-vehicle roadways. Pedestrian walks cantilevered from the central . . . — Map (db m16492) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — The Tower Bridge
The Tower Bridge, a vertical-lift span, was opened for traffic on December 15, 1935 and was built at a cost of $994,000. The State Department of Public Works, the City and the County of Sacramento and the Federal Government built the bridge. It . . . — Map (db m16489) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — The United States Merchant Marine
Throughout history, two categories of ships, merchants and naval combatants, have carried out the world’s seagoing activities. Those of the merchant marine, known as merchantmen, carry cargo, passengers, and perform special functions during times of . . . — Map (db m16468) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Tower Bridge: Gateway to the Capital
Identifying A Need By the early 1930’s, Americans were moving away from trains and ships and turning to automobiles as their mode of transporation. As a result, traffic on roadways increased dramatically. In Sacramento, M Street (now . . . — Map (db m16490) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — U.S.S. Sacramento – 1964 — [AOE-1]
Constructed during the early years of the Vietnam War, she was commissioned as a “Combat Supply and Auxiliary Support Ship” (AEO-1). At 793’ and 53,000 tons, she is by far the largest ship in the U.S. Fleet to be named . . . — Map (db m72896) WM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — U.S.S. Sacramento 1914 – 1942The Galloping Ghost of the China Coast
Brought into service in 1914 to join the United States “Great White Fleet”, dubbed such for the sparkling white paint used on naval ships at the time, she was in service 28 years and two world wars. A 226-foot gleaming white steam . . . — Map (db m16475) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — USS Sacramento (PG-19)“The Galloping Ghost of the China Coast” — 1914 – 1946
As part of our nation’s maritime history, USS Sacramento steamed more than one-half million miles during her proud service in the United States Navy.
She logged 64,000 miles convoying 483 ships through submarine-infested European waters during . . . — Map (db m16483) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — You Are Remembered – Rest In Peace
This marker has been dedicated in memory of more than six hundred persons of Japanese ancestry reinterred here in 1956 with several thousand others, whose remains were removed from New Helvetia Cemetery, the present site of Sutter Middle . . . — Map (db m18938) HM
California (San Benito County), San Juan Bautista — Safety Follows Wisdom
Portland Cement Association Safety Trophy Award Ideal Cement Compamy San Juan Bautista, California for a Perfect Safety Record in 1960 — Map (db m15322) HM
California (San Benito County), San Juan Bautista — The San Andreas Fault Exhibit & El Camino Real Earthquake Walk
In Celebration of the U.S.Geological Survey's Centennial 1879 - 1979 Dedicated July 4, 1979 by SAN JUAN BAUTISTA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE In Cooperation With Old Mission San Juan Bautista-Diocese of . . . — Map (db m15340) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Ontario — WCTU Fountain
This fountain was built by the Women's Christian Temperance Union and dedicated to this City of Ontario on July 4th 1908, to provide the town with "a drinking fountain where only the pure, sparkling water can be had at any time by the . . . — Map (db m37513) HM
California (San Diego County), Lakeside — 425 — Mexican GrantCommemorating Cañada de Los Coches Rancho, — Smallest Mexican Land Grant in Calif.
. . . — Map (db m88571) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Clifton A. F. Sprague, Vice Admiral, USNBorn 8 January 1896 - Died 11 April 1955
[Front]: Awards Navy Cross for the 25 October 1944 action off Samar. Admiral Sprague was aboard the escort carrier, USS Fanshaw Bay during this engagement. Legion of Merit Medal for his command of the USS Wasp. Gold Star in lieu of . . . — Map (db m8521) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — United States Aircraft Carrier Memorial
West face: [Seals of the Department of the Navy: U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps] “The air fleet of an enemy will never get within striking distance of our coast as long as our aircraft carriers are able to carry . . . — Map (db m61543) HM WM
California (San Joaquin County), Ripon — Ripon World War II Memorial
In Honor of Ripon High School Students KIA World War II Radomir Kilak • Henry Bouma • Raymond Clifton • Lyman Fulton • Billy Haller • Jack Harp • John Kamps • Paul Madsen • Oscar Poelstra • Carl Peterson • Viggo Peterson • John Smit • John Van . . . — Map (db m19522) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — Remember Pearl Harbor
. . . — Map (db m15968) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 34 — Stockton City Hall
Built in the spirit of the “City Beautiful” movement, the Stockton City Hall provides an outstanding example of 1920’s construction techniques and design. The building’s Renaissance Revival Style was determined by a collaboration of . . . — Map (db m15966) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — The Sister City Story
Sister city affiliations between the United States and other nations began shortly after World War II, and developed into a national initiative when President Dwight D. Eisenhower proposed the “people-to-people” program at a White House . . . — Map (db m24224) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — We Shall Never Forget“September 11, 2001”
Americans heal, not by forgetting, but by remembering. It is with this in mind that we dedicate this Memorial City of Stockton September 11, 2007 — Map (db m15969) WM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — World War II Memorial
MEMORIAL Dedicated to all men and women of Stockton, many of whom paid the ultimate sacrifice, who served their country overseas and on the home front during World War II, December 1941 through September 1945. May their devotion to duty and . . . — Map (db m15973) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Cambria — 939 — Nitt Witt Ridge
Nitt Witt Ridge, one of California's remarkable Twentieth Century Folk Art Environments, is the creation of Arthur Harold Beal (Der Tinkerpaw or Capt. Nitt Witt), a Cambria Pines pioneer who sculpted the land using hand tools and indigenous . . . — Map (db m50545) HM
California (San Mateo County), Burlingame — 846 — Burlingame Railroad Station
This first permanent building in the Mission Revival style of architecture was designed by George H. Howard and J. B. Mathison and financed by local residents and the Southern Pacific Railroad. It opened for service on October 10, 1894. The roof . . . — Map (db m86792) HM
California (San Mateo County), Colma — Colma City HallErected 1936 – 1940
Architect Resing & Mc Ginnes Contractor H.H. Smith ** Incorporated as Lawndale In Aug. 1924. The Town’s name was changed to Colma in Nov. 1941 Originally the Town Hall served as a traffic court, post office, health dept. and . . . — Map (db m18401) HM
California (San Mateo County), Half Moon Bay — Joseph Debenedetti Building
The decade of the 1870’s saw an influx of European immigrants into the Half Moon Bay area and over to the coast. Irish, German, Italian, and Portuguese made up the majority of the newcomers whose numbers included merchants, business people, dairy . . . — Map (db m13747) HM
California (San Mateo County), Hillsborough — The Last Stagecoach Hold-Up In San Mateo County
Near this location on Aug.17, 1905, a masked desperado described as "nine feet high and armed with a small canon" stopped the Half Moon Bay Stagecoach. He angrily demanded driver Ed Campbell to throw down the Wells Fargo Co.'s treasure box, Levy . . . — Map (db m34820) HM
California (San Mateo County), San Bruno — First Shipboard Landing
On 18 January 1911, EUGENE ELY flew a Curtis Pusher biplane from this location, Tanforan Park, and landed on a wooden platform constructed aboard the Navy Cruiser USS Pennsylvania anchored in the San Francisco Bay. The first shipboard landing, an . . . — Map (db m18414) HM
California (San Mateo County), San Bruno — Seabiscuit
Seabiscuit Born 1933 Sired by Hard Tack – Out of Swing On Owner – Charles S. Howard Jockeys Red Pollard – George Woolf World’s Champion Money Winner to 1938 — Map (db m18406) HM
California (San Mateo County), San Mateo — Pacific City
The idea to build an amusement park at this site was conceived by local civic leaders. This park would rival those at Coney Island and Atlantic City. The Pacific City site was 90 acres, stretching from Peninsula Avenue to Burlingame Avenue and . . . — Map (db m28780) HM
California (San Mateo County), Woodside — 907 — FiloliFight – Love – Live
This country estate was begun in 1915 for Mr. and Mrs. William B. Bourn, II. Architect Willis J. Polk designed a modified Georgian Style country house. Subsequently the carriage house and garden pavilion were executed by Arthur Brown. The formal . . . — Map (db m18450) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Alviso — 69 — Bayside Canneryca. 1906 — City of San Jose – Capital of the Silicon Valley
Established ca.1906, Bayside Canning Company expanded to become the third largest cannery in the United States by 1931. Under the leadership of Thomas Foon Chew, Bayside was the first cannery in the world to can green asparagus. The main building . . . — Map (db m24364) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Alviso — Water EverywhereWater Seeks Its Own Level
Water in Alviso is a complex issue that touches on the environment, economics, and life safety. Already susceptible to flooding, Alviso’s situation was worsened by regional development. Hard paving, which prevented water absorption into the ground, . . . — Map (db m24414) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — Campbell Fire Station
The Campbell Volunteer Fire Department officially began in 1912. Keeping track of ladders was a problem and the need for a fire station became apparent. An ad placed in the newspaper urged "all parties to leave ladders belonging to fire dept. in . . . — Map (db m24251) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — SCL-041 — Fire House #1Campbell Historic Location
First building owned by city after 1952 incorporation. Served as city offices from 1953 to 1956. Calif. Registered Point of Historical Interest No. SCL-041 — Map (db m24250) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Gilroy — Old City HallGilroy, California
. . . — Map (db m18495) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Morgan Hill — [Morgan Hill] Centennial ProjectA History Trail — Dedicated November 10, 2006
[The Morgan Hill Centennial Project is a very unusual ‘marker’. It was created to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the incorporation of the City of Morgan Hill. One starts at the center of the marker and then proceeds along an expanding spiral . . . — Map (db m46097) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — 836 — Electronics Research Laboratory
Original site of the laboratory and factory of Federal Telegraph Company, founded in 1909 by Cyril F. Elwell. Here, with two assistants, Dr. Lee de Forest, inventor of the three-element radio vacuum tube, devised in 1911-13 the first vacuum tube . . . — Map (db m2604) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — 857 — John Adams Squire House
Designed by T. Paterson Ross and constructed by builder George W. Mosher in 1904, this house is a notable example of California's interpretation of the Greco-Roman Classic Revival movement in America. — Map (db m2715) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — New Almaden(The New Mine) — After Almaden Mine in Spain
The first workable quicksilver mine in North America – First mine of any kind in California – First worked 1824 – Denounced November 1845. Has produced more metallic wealth than any individual gold mine in California. Its discovery . . . — Map (db m12924) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — San Jose Buddhist Church Betsuin
In 1902 a San Jose Buddhist Church was founded as a recognized branch of the San Francisco Buddhist Church. In 1906 property at 630 North 5th Street was purchased and services conducted by the first resident minister from Japan Reverend Honen . . . — Map (db m26221) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Stanford University — 915 — Lou Henry Hoover House
This 1919 residence of a developing international style of architecture embodies Mrs. Herbert Hoover’s innovative architectural concepts. It was executed by architects A. B. Clark, Charles Davis, and Birge Clark, and was maintained as the Hoover . . . — Map (db m2717) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Capitola — 860 — Camp Capitola Superintendent’s Office
California’s first seaside resort community was established here in 1869 by Mr. F. A. Hihn. The grand opening was held on July 4, 1874, for the 15 acre resort, located in the present Village and Depot Hill areas. The Superintendent’s Office, built . . . — Map (db m2351) HM
California (Shasta County), Burney — Fountain Fire Vista Point
This facility is dedicated to the men and women, who battled the 1992 Fountain Fire, and those who have worked and are working to restore this forest to a healthy and productive part of the local ecosystem. During the dangerous salvage . . . — Map (db m13741) HM
California (Shasta County), Whiskeytown — A Matter of ProgressWhiskeytown Lake
In the mid to late 1800’s you would have traveled here by horseback, mule train, stagecoach, or on foot. The rough road that would have led you here continued into the valley, now filled with Whiskeytown Lake. It passed near mining camps along . . . — Map (db m14412) HM
California (Shasta County), Whiskeytown — Kennedy Memorial
. . . — Map (db m14434) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Tule Lake — Civilian Conservation Corps
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt established the Civilian Conservation Corps on March 31, 1933, to provide employment for America's youth and promote the nation's economic recovery. The CCC's work involved conservation projects on forest, park . . . — Map (db m547) HM
California (Solano County), Benicia — 1854 – Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church – 1954In Honor of the One Hundredth Anniversary
Founded September 24, 1854, with the first service conducted by lay reader Major F. D. Townsend, U.S. Army, in the “Old Capital Building”, constructed from plans presented by Colonel Julian McAlister, of the Benicia Arsenal, in April . . . — Map (db m16322) HM
California (Solano County), Benicia — Jack London
. . . — Map (db m16329) HM
California (Solano County), Benicia — Suisun Bay Reserve FleetThe Fleet
Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet is part of the National Defense Reserve Fleet (NDRF), owned and operated by U.S. Department of Transportation, Maritime Administration (MARAD). Established by the Merchant Ship Act of 1946, NDRF serves as a reserve which . . . — Map (db m10794) HM
California (Solano County), Benicia — 973 — Turner/Robertson Shipyard1882 – 1918
In 1882, Mathew Turner of San Francisco relocated his shipyard to Benicia. Turner, the most prodigious shipbuilder in North America, constructed 228 vessels, 169 of which were launched here. In 1913, the shipyard was purchased by James Robertson, . . . — Map (db m31007) HM
California (Solano County), Benicia — World War I Memorial
. . . — Map (db m16354) WM
California (Solano County), Vacaville — The Andrew Carnegie Public Library1915-1965
The Ulatis Book Club initiated an early effort in 1905 to obtain a Carnegie Library Building Fund Grant. This effort was taken over in 1910 by the Saturday Club, which campaigned to establish a library district under the jurisdiction of the . . . — Map (db m16845) HM
California (Solano County), Vacaville — William Gordon HuffIn Expression of Gratitude
In recognition for his continuous dedication to the preservation of western history through his world – renowned artistic endeavors: for expressing his love of the Order through the sculptured likeness of the men who have labored to preserve . . . — Map (db m54590) HM

2189 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1989
Paid Advertisement