Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Horticulture & Forestry Historical Markers

973 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers are listed. Next 723
Pratt Homesite Marker image, Click for more information
By Tim Carr, August 1, 2009
Pratt Homesite Marker
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Pratt HomesiteCirca 1842
Daniel Pratt, Prattville’s founding father, constructed an imposing home and garden within a quarter-mile of this site on Autauga Creek, near his industrial complex. The large home was designed and erected by Pratt himself, a noted architect / . . . — Map (db m27985) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Stockton — Bartram’s Trail
William Bartram, America’s first native born artist - naturalist, passed through Baldwin County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. As the appointed botanist of Britain’s King . . . — Map (db m81855) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — The Camellia City/Greenville
Side 1 The Camellia City Mr. J. Glenn Stanley, an ardent camellia enthusiast, dreamed of Greenville becoming “The Camellia City” and loyally promoted this slogan as editor of The Greenville Advocate. The city’s . . . — Map (db m70754) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Petrified Conifer Tree / Petrified Lycopod Tree Stump
Plaque A 85-90 Million Years Old Possibly a Bald Cypress from the Cretaceous Period or the Age of Dinosaurs Plaque B 325 Million Years Old A Member of the Giant Club Mosses from the early Coal Age — Map (db m29287) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Opp — The Depot / Opp, Alabama
The Depot In 1900, the L&N Railroad won the right to establish the railroad through this area. The town is named for Henry Opp, who represented L&N in successful legal negotiations. The coming of the railroad consolidated the surrounding areas . . . — Map (db m39777) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Sanford — Town of Sanford
Side 1 Sanford first came into being as a community post office which was established on May 19, 1879. Around the turn of the century, Sanford had a period of progress that lasted for several years. The L&N Railroad had come through in . . . — Map (db m94166) HM
Alabama (DeKalb County), Valley Head — Site of Cherokee Council Tree
Here stood The giant Black Spanish Oak Under which Traditionally Sequoyah Taught his newly invented Alphabet Tree felled by a storm 1934 — Map (db m28036) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Wetumpka — William Bartram1739 - 1823
William Bartram, the first native-born American artist-naturalist, of Philadelphia, visited this site on Christmas Day, 1776. This arboretum commerates (sic) the man, his visit to Fort Toulouse, and his travels through the southeastern colonies . . . — Map (db m83726) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Pollard — The Lindsey-Fitzgerald House
Martin Lindsey bought the Pollard Mill later known as the Lindsey Mill Company. Several hundred employees worked at the Mill during the early 1900s, among them Joe Douglas, head of the woodlands, and Percy Watson, accounting. Mr. Lindsey handled the . . . — Map (db m84386) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Cottonwood — Cottonwood, Alabama
In April 1903, the Town of Cottonwood was incorporated, making it the first town established in Houston County. The town's name may have come from either Mr. Wood, an influential land owner, or from the softwood trees growing in the area. General . . . — Map (db m73381) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Clay — The Cahaba Heart River of Alabama
On Cahaba Mountain to the NW, springs form a fragile stream that grows as it carves through the steep, rocky terrain of Birmingham suburbs, flowing south on the Gulf Coastal Plain to the Alabama River, at the site of Alabama's first capital, . . . — Map (db m25110) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Overseer’s HouseBuilt in 1889
This house was provided for the overseer of the 560-acre A. B. Howell Peach Orchard. William Morgan and William and Evan Hale were overseers. The house was purchased by John and Marie Taylor in 1989 and was placed on the Alabama Register of . . . — Map (db m28494) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Chewacla State Park(CCC)
Side 1 Under President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal (1933-1942), the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established to provide work for single young men. The CCC's Company 4448, Camp Alabama SP-12, began work in September 1935 to . . . — Map (db m85164) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Founders' Oak
This post oak started growth in 1850 and was 6 years old when East Alabama Male College was established. It was 33 years old when the Alabama Agricultural Station was established, 91 when the nation entered World War II, and over 100 when this site . . . — Map (db m74430) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Cullars Rotation / The Alvis Field and Cotton Rust
Side 1 The Cullars Rotation The Cullars Rotation is the oldest, continuous soil fertility study in the South and the second oldest cotton study in the world. It was started in 1911 by the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station . . . — Map (db m74463) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Old Rotation
Established in 1896 by Professor J.F. Duggar, the Old Rotation at Auburn University is: (1) the oldest, continuous cotton experiment in the U.S.; and (2) the 3rd oldest continuous field crop experiment in the U.S.; and (3) the 1st experiment to . . . — Map (db m74429) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Albertville — Liberty Tree Memorial
This American Liberty Elm was named after “The Liberty Tree: Our Country’s first Symbol of Freedom.” On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people of Boston awakened to discover two effigies suspended from an elm tree in protest of . . . — Map (db m85848) HM WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — "Moon Tree"
Loblolly Pine crown from seeds that journeyed to the moon with 1971 Apollo 14 mission. Planted here in 1976. — Map (db m94931) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Camellia Designated Alabama State Flower
The Alabama Legislature approved a bill sponsored by Rep. T.E. Martin of Montgomery County in 1927 that designated the Goldenrod the official state flower. It became law on Sept. 6, 1927, the same day that the Yellowhammer became the official . . . — Map (db m86066) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Civil War Laurel Oak Tree
This Laurel Oak Tree from Battle Fields of Virginia, 1861-65 Planted by Gov. Thomas G. Jones 1893 — Map (db m94932) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 'Washington' Elm Tree
Washington took command of the American Army under grandparent of this elm Cambridge, Mass., July 3, 1775 ———— Raised and given by Maryland D.A.R. and Alice Paret Dorsey as part of 200th . . . — Map (db m94934) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 35 — Rose TreeMuseum
In 1934, Robert Ripley declares the Rose Bush the World's Largest in the Newspaper column "Believe it or Not". The fire of May 26th, 1882, destroyed the dwellings located here. In 1885, Mrs. Amelia Adamson built the Cochise House . . . — Map (db m93399) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Flagstaff's Founding
Flagstaff was a name on a map before the area had any significant population. The first permanent settler was Thomas F. McMillan who arrived sometime in 1876. On July 4, 1876, a party of emigrants traveling from Boston to California was camped at . . . — Map (db m41717) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Logging Wheels
Logging wheels were originally an integral part of the early lumber industry in Northern Arizona. Originally designed in 1870 by Silas Overpack, a Manistee, Michigan wheelwright, the wheels were used by a local farmer to help him clear his land. . . . — Map (db m33331) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Two SpotsArizona Lumber and Timber Company Steam Engine
Arizona Lumber and Timber Company purchased this Baldwin steam engine in 1917 for lumbering operations in and around Flagstaff, where the engine spent its entire working life. The City of Flagstaff purchased No. 25 in 1995. Canvas water bags . . . — Map (db m41720) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — 7 — USFS Range HouseCity of Sedona Landmark No. 7
This house was built in 1917 and was the home of the Sedona District Ranger, Jesse I. Bushnell. It continued to serve as living quarters until 1996, when the structure was converted to office space for the USFS Sedona Ranger District. — Map (db m94829) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Payson — C.C.C. Co. 807Texas-Arizona — 1933
J. M. DeWeese T. T. Swift Capt. F.A.U.S.A., C. O. Supr. T.N.F. P. L. Moore R. C. James Capt. M.C.U.S.A., C.S. Camp Supt. — Map (db m67426) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Payson — Mogollon Rim Country Firefighters Memorial
Dedicated to Firefighters who made the Ultimate Sacrifice to protect our magnificent Mogollon Rim Country Date - Fire Name - Victim's Name - Remarks 6/15/61 - Roberts - Chuck Cochane - Pilot TBM Air Tanker 6/21/61 - . . . — Map (db m67406) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Payson — Ranger Station
The Rim Country Museum complex is the site of the first headquarters for the Payson Ranger District, Tonto National Forest. The original buildings were placed here in 1907. The Ranger's family house is the second one, built in 1933. The ranger . . . — Map (db m67407) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Payson — The Dude Fire
On June 25, 1990 a lightning caused fire entrapped ten members of the Perryville fire crew in this canyon. Resulting in six fatalities. Before the fire was contained it had burned more than 24,000 acres and destroyed over 70 structures. This . . . — Map (db m28210) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Payson — These Trees Planted in Memory of the Firefighters Who Died in the Dude Fire June 26, 1990
These Trees Planted in Memory of the Firefighters Who Died in the Dude Fire June 26, 1990 Sandra J. Bachman • Joseph Chacon • Alex S. Contreras • James L. Denny • James E. Ellis • Curtis E. Springfield — Map (db m28211) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Fruit Packing Shed — at Sahuaro Ranch...
This packing shed, constructed in 1891, is one of the oldest farm buildings on the ranch. It was designed by James M. Creighton, a prominent architect in territoral Arizona. Exactly how the shed was used is not known, but presumably it was here . . . — Map (db m40702) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Orchards — at Sahuaro Ranch
The most important crops in the early years of Sahuaro Ranch were fruits and nuts. These commanded high prices, which meant they could profitably be raised here and sold to buyers across the country despite the high cost of shipping from such a . . . — Map (db m40705) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Overgaard — Travel on a Journey Through Time...Stop 1
From 1915 to 1949 the Heber Ranger Station Stood at this site. The year is 1910 and you decide you'd like to be a Forest Service Ranger. To pass the test you'll need to know the local country, be able to take care of yourself and your . . . — Map (db m68676) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Summerhaven — Lemmon Rock Lookout TowerCoronado National Forest
Lemmon Rock Lookout Tower was erected in 1928. It is the oldest lookout still in use on the Forest. This general locale has been used as a fire lookout since the Coronado Forest Reserve was established in 1902. The current lookout structure was . . . — Map (db m55554) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Cattle TankHistorical Gardens
You can still see part of the cattle tank that was installed in 1938. It sat on a concrete base and was used every summer as a swimming pool before the water was released to irrigate the surrounding gardens. The Porters had their own well, as did . . . — Map (db m84176) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Cottonwood Lane
Planted shortly after Fort Lowell was established in 1873. The trees were irrigated by acequias or open ditches with water diverted from Pantano Wash. The beautiful shade trees made Fort Lowell an oasis in an otherwise barren area. After the fort . . . — Map (db m26197) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Desert Laboratory
. . . — Map (db m63672) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Desert LifeSaguaro National Park
The Sonoran Desert can be described as a “desert jungle” because more than 200 species of animals and 600 species of plants live here. Saguaros---with their branching arms and accordion-like pleats—dominate this scene. Intermixed . . . — Map (db m83147) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Does This Garden Seem Lush and Cool?Historical Gardens
The Historical Gardens show a gardening style that was popular in Tucson from the 1880s through the 1940s. The landscape choices of those days aimed for a green retreat from the desert and helped keep homes cooler in the decades before . . . — Map (db m84175) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Home for Saguaros
The saguaro cactus before you owes its existence to the foresight of local residents. In the 1920s grazing and development threatened the saguaro's future. Saguaro forests began to disappear as mature cactuses were chopped to make way for new roads. . . . — Map (db m85355) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Where Have All the Saguaros Gone?
The view from this hill has changed a lot over the years. In the 1930s, this was the most spectacular cactus forest in Arizona. But no one knew that these aging giants were near the end of their lives. Today we speculate that mild weather in the . . . — Map (db m85357) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Who Lived Here?Historical Gardens
Like many Tucsonans in the 1920s, Bernice Walkley and Rutger Porter were transplanted easterners – she from Connecticut and he from New York. Rutger met Bernice while doing landscape work for her father in Tucson.

In 1929 Rutger bought the . . . — Map (db m84199) HM

Arizona (Yavapai County), Camp Verde — Pecan Lane Rural Historic Landscape
Upper Plaque: Pecan Lane Rural Historic Landscape Lower Plaque: Pecan Lane Rural Historic Landscape was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 2, 2000. Pecan Lane played a significant part in the . . . — Map (db m27855) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The International Society of Arboriculture and the National Arborist Association
The International Society of Arboriculture and the National Arborist Association jointly recognize this significant tree in this bicentennial year as having lived here during the American Revolutionary Period. 1776 1976. [Added brass . . . — Map (db m18861) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — Big TreeLargest Sycamore in Arkansas
Circumference 21.45 ft. height 106 ft. diameter BH 82 in. spread 120 ft. To insure protection during its lifetime, owner Bill Bradford on April 11, 1975, legally willed to itself this tree and all land within a radius of 10 feet from its trunk and . . . — Map (db m50368) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — Evaporator Near Railroad Track

This evaporator dried apples over wooden racks with wood fired furnace heat. After drying, the peeled, sliced apples were sprinkled with powdered sulphur as a preservative. They were shipped out in big barrels by railroad cars. This work was . . . — Map (db m93259) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Basin Park Sycamore
I stood here growing so many years, I shared your laughter, I shared your tears. My life was good, beginning to end, and this is a wish I'd like to send. Be happy and kind to all around, and let not sorrow be ever found. The spirit . . . — Map (db m59971) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Moon TreeLoblolly Pine (Pinustaeda)

This tree was grown from a seed that journeyed to the Moon and back aboard Apollo 14 1971 Planted here on Arbor Day March 15 Bicentennial Year 1976 — Map (db m92358) HM

California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Municipal Rose GardenCity of Berkeley Landmark - Designated in 1995 — Vernon M. Dean, Landscape Architect - 1933-1937
The Rose Garden was a joint creation of the City of Berkeley and the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA), whose public works provided employment during the Depression. Vernon M. Dean, the City's landscape architect, designed the garden in a . . . — Map (db m18618) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Mortar Rock
Mortar Rock takes its name from the many holes worn in these hard lavas by Native American women pounding and grinding acorns and other seeds into meal. This staple food could be stored and later cooked into cakes or porridge. Native Americans . . . — Map (db m53850) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Rose WalkBernard Maybeck, Designer and Architect; 1913 — Henry Higby Gutterson, Architect, 1924-36
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1991 Rose Walk was designed by Bernard Maybeck and completed in 1913 with donations from the neighbors. The walkway linked the Euclid Avenue streetcar line with residences higher on the hill. After . . . — Map (db m53859) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — The Kelsey RanchBerkeley History
On a once rural site now bordered by Russell Street, College Avenue, and Stuart Street, the Kelsey family planted orchards and grew ornamental plants on land they purchased in 1860. The 24-acre Kelsey Ranch supplied trees and plants for the grounds . . . — Map (db m54691) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — The Poetry GardenBerkeley Garden
This garden honors Berkeley’s many innovative poets, poetry presses and publications, and their creative legacy. It was dedicated in 1999 on the second anniversary of “Beat” poet Allen Ginsberg’s death. Through their writings, the . . . — Map (db m54191) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 962 — Site of Blossom Rock Navigation Trees
Until at least 1851, redwood trees on this site were used as landmarks to avoid striking the treacherous submerged Blossom Rock in San Francisco Bay west of Yerba Buena Island. Although by 1855 the original stems had been logged, today's trees are . . . — Map (db m64485) HM
California (Alameda County), Piedmont — The MazeEnglish Hedge Maze Popular in Early 1900s
One of the first improvements made by Frank Havens to Piedmont Springs Park was the construction of a living hedge maze modeled on those like Hampton Court in England. An article in the Oakland Herald in December 1904 shows a winding drive leading . . . — Map (db m72376) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Roots From Another LandLake Chabot Historical Walk
Many of the trees surrounding you have foreign roots, each with its own tale. In 1868 the Hayward Journal described Chabot’s plans to encircle the reservoir with “walnut, hickory nuts, butternuts, and other eastern and foreign nut . . . — Map (db m71650) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — University of California Foothill Field Station1888 – 1903
The Foothill Station became the first University of California qualifying outlying station funded jointly by federal, state and local county sources in March 1888. The station was developed under the patronage of Senator A. Caminetti of Jackson. . . . — Map (db m72065) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — 762 — D'Agostini Winery
D’Agostini Winery was started in 1856 by Adam Uhlinger, a Swiss immigrant. The original wine cellar, with walls made from rock quarried from nearby hills, hand hewn beams, and oak casks, is still in use and part of the present winery. Some original . . . — Map (db m70454) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — 840-2 — Chico Forestry Station and Nursery
In 1888, the State Board of Forestry established an experimental forestry station and nursery, a companion to the Santa Monica Station established in 1882. The two were the first such stations in the nation. Exotic and native trees were tested and . . . — Map (db m29720) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — 313 — Hooker Oak
The massive and majestic Hooker Oak, which occupied this site, was named in honor of renowned British Botanist Sir Joseph Dalton Hooker. The Hooker Oak was acclaimed to be the largest Valley Oak in the world before it fell on May 1, 1977. Age . . . — Map (db m29649) HM
California (Butte County), Stirling City — Stirling City
This peaceful community, gateway to the remote regions of the High Lakes of Butte and Plumas Counties, owes its origin and subsequent development to the entrance of the Diamond Match Company to California. With the purchase of about 40,000 acres of . . . — Map (db m61764) HM
California (Calaveras County), Arnold — California Big Trees State ParkThe Discovery Stump — The Calaveras North Grove
In the spring of 1852, Augustus T. Dowd, while hunting, discovered a grove of truly immense trees, now known as the Calaveras North Grove. Several stockholders of the Union Water Company (who employed Augustus as a hunter) developed a plan to . . . — Map (db m34120) HM
California (Calaveras County), Arnold — Discovery and Exploitation
You are not the first to explore these forests. Generations of Miwok and Washoe Indians knew these trees. The rest of the world met the big trees in 1852 when hunter Augustus T. Dowd stumbled upon the North Grove. His discovery brought both . . . — Map (db m95185) HM
California (Calaveras County), Arnold — Hanging On By A BranchThe Pioneer Cabin Tree
Here at Calaveras Big Tree State Park, it's a regrettable fact that the most famous trees are those most harmed by human action. Both the Mother of the Forest and the Big Stump remind us of how people placed their own curiosity and pleasure above . . . — Map (db m95184) HM
California (Calaveras County), White Pines — White Pines History
White Pines was constructed by American Forest Properties, Inc. at the site of former White Pines operation of Blagen Lumber Co. The community of White Pines, which was founded by Frank Blagen, the company president, came into being during the . . . — Map (db m34571) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Japanese Nurseries
In the early 1900s, Japanese immigrants planted the seeds of a remarkable nursery community in El Cerrito and Richmond. These nurseries were located mostly west of San Pablo Avenue and north of Portrero Avenue. After interment during World War II, . . . — Map (db m94249) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 312 — John Muir Home
Ranch home of John Muir 1838- 1914, explorer, naturalist, author and foremost advocate of forest protection and of national parks. The John Muir Trail through the High Sierra, Muir Woods National Monument and Muir Glacier in Alaska are named for him. — Map (db m51132) HM
California (Del Norte County), Crescent City — Simpson-Reed Discovery Trail
Discovery the unique features of an old-growth redwood forest. Welcome to the Simpson-Reed Discovery Trail! You are in the midst of an ancient redwood forest. Here, you will see trees of many ages that create a multi-layered forest ceiling or . . . — Map (db m87814)
California (Del Norte County), Crescent City — Simpson-Reed Grove
Simpson-Reed Grove for the perpetual enjoyment of all--This grove was presented to the State of California by the Simpson Timber Company in memory of Mark E. Reed, its president from 1914 to 1955. — Map (db m87815) HM
California (Del Norte County), Crescent City — The Metcalf Grove
This grove is given to the State of California for the preservation of these ancient trees by Mr. and Mrs. Jesse H. Metcalf of Rhode Island. — Map (db m1510) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Swift Berry“Mr. Clamper”
Born Nebraska 1887. Educated Biltmore Forest School, North Carolina. Began career 1908 in California with U.S.F.S. Major U.S. Army A.E.F. 1917 – 1919 General Manager Michigan California Lumber Co. 1925 – 1949 California State . . . — Map (db m57974) HM
California (El Dorado County), Pollock Pines — Logging in El Dorado County
By the end of the war with Mexico in 1847, California’s non-native population was a mere 15,000. The 49ers pushed the population of El Dorado County beyond 20,000 by 1850. As winter approached, the minors replaced their tents and shanties with . . . — Map (db m94634) HM
California (Fresno County), Coalinga — Harry S. Watanabe(1896 – 1987)
Harry Watanabe was 19 years old when he came to Coalinga from Japan in 1915. Watanabe first worked at Ayers Drug Store and the Sullivan Hotel. It was in 1928 that Watanabe found his niche in life and the vocation that left his mark on Coalinga. . . . — Map (db m64107) HM
California (Fresno County), Dunlap — Converse Basin Grove
One of the largest stands of Giant Sequoias, it contained some of the finest Big Trees. The grove was logged as a private land between 1897 and 1907, first by the Sanger Lumber Company and later by Hume-Bennett Lumber Company, which in 1909 . . . — Map (db m52239) HM
California (Fresno County), Easton — 35 — Easton / Washington Union High School District
[Side A:] Easton In 1878, O.W. Easton and J.P. Whitney, San Francisco entrepreneurs, bought a total of 12 sections of land in this area (7680 acres), formed the Washington Irrigated Colony and began selling 20-acre farms. Allen T. . . . — Map (db m28011) HM
California (Fresno County), Sanger — 25 — Kings River
Its waters made possible the irrigation of a million fertile acres, despite a 39 year battle over water rights. From 1882 forward, 150 lawsuits were filed and early irrigators often used armed force to open headgates to water their crops. L. A. . . . — Map (db m27996) HM
California (Fresno County), Selma — Libby, McNeill and Libby Cannery
On this 6 1/4 acre site, Libby, McNeill and Libby opened the San Joaquin Valley's largest cannery on July 18, 1911, less than four hectic months after the site was acquired and construction plans were announced. The initial construction cost was . . . — Map (db m52240) HM
California (Fresno County), Squaw Valley — Millwood
Two miles northwest of here astride Mill Flat Creek is the site of old Millwood. A sawmill town established in 1891. Railroads brought logs here for milling and later lumber from other nearby mills including that which cut the privately owned . . . — Map (db m2979) HM
California (Humboldt County), Myers Flat — The Shrine Tree
Notice that this tree is hollow and 3/4 of the wood is dead. However, 1/4 of the tree refuses to die. The limbs on the tree are evidence of the living material still within. Higher up a double top reaches toward the sky. The tree itself continues to . . . — Map (db m87848)
California (Humboldt County), Orick — Madison Grant Forest and Elk RefugeDedicated to the Memory of Madison Grant — 1865-1937
Conservationist, author, anthropologist, a founder of the Save-the-Redwoods League.

This area of 1600 acres, habitat of the last surviving herd in California of Roosevelt Elk is established as a memorial by · De Forest Grant · John D. . . . — Map (db m32569) HM

California (Humboldt County), Samoa — Samoa Cookhouse Circa 1893
This is the last lumber camp style cookhouse in operation in North America. This cookhouse was originally opened as part of Samoa, one of the last company owned towns in the United States, established by the Vance Lumber Company. The original . . . — Map (db m65422) HM
California (Humboldt County), Scotia — Humboldt Redwoods State Park
Top marker: Welcome to Humboldt Redwoods State Park. As you travel either U.S. Highway 101 or the Avenue of the Giants for the next 32 miles, you will pass through the largest redwood park of all California State Parks. Preserved here are over . . . — Map (db m87843) HM
California (Humboldt County), Scotia — The Pacific Lumber CompanyEstablished 1869 in Humboldt County
Their first sawmill was built in 1887 at their current location and employed 150 men to turn the giant redwoods into shingles and other products. Originally named Forestville, the town name was changed to Scotia in 1888. Scotia is one of the last . . . — Map (db m71988) HM
California (Humboldt County), Weott — Old Giant Redwood Tree
In 1148 this tree began growing near Jordan Creek at the north end of the “Avenue of the Giants”. It was 839 years old when it fell in 1897. Average Diameter at Base—9 feet; Height of Tree—300 Feet; Age of Cross . . . — Map (db m87846) HM
California (Inyo County), Big Pine — The Roosevelt TreePlanted July 23, 1913
This Giant Sequoia is reported to have been planted to commemorate the opening of Westgaard Pass to automobile traffic. The tree was named in honor of President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt. — Map (db m54428) HM
California (Inyo County), Tecopa — China Ranch
In the 1890's a Chinese man named Ah Foo came to this canyon from the Borax Works in Death Valley. He developed a successful ranch, raising livestock, hay, fruits and vegetables to help feed the local silver miners and their draft animals. The . . . — Map (db m72929) HM
California (Lake County), Upper Lake — Diamond Match Lumber Co.
The original building was destroyed in the fire of 1924. Six months later the present building opened as a hardware store. It has the pressed concrete walls and pressed tin ceiling typical of fire measures taken when the town was rebuilt. As . . . — Map (db m49116) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — Miss American Green CrossRe-creation of the American Green Cross Monument
Miss American Green Cross was originally dedicated on May 4, 1928 to represent the American Green Cross Society. The early environmental organization was dedicated to the "saving of American's greatest asset-trees". The first chapter of the Society . . . — Map (db m56198) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills, Los Angeles — Mission Dam
Rubble masonry water storage dam built by San Fernando Mission Indians in 1808. Water Flowed to the mission via a tiled pipe. Marked by El Camino Real Parlor No. 324 Native Daughters of the Golden West March 11, 1972 — Map (db m72610) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Rancho Palos Verdes — Palos Verdes Peninsula Habitat
The Palos Verdes Peninsula supports a plant community called coastal bluff scrub that contains elements of coastal sage scrub. Coastal sage scrub communities are composed of soft, witty sub-shrubs. Coastal sage scrub seen at this site is dominated . . . — Map (db m81923)
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — Loop Fire
This park and memorial stand as a tribute to the young men who lost their lives on the Loop Fire, to those who survived, and to firefighters everywhere. Forever Honored - Those Who Lost Their Lives Raymond Chee - Age 23 • James . . . — Map (db m79155) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Whittier — 681 — Paradox Hybrid Walnut Tree
Planted in 1907 as an experiment for the University of California. — Map (db m50978) HM
California (Madera County), Oakhurst — Giant Sequoia Cutting
This slab of a Giant Sequoia was cut from a 2,000 yr old Sequoia toppled by a winter storm in 1979 in Eastern Tulare County. 200 feet in length and 50 feet in circumference, the tree weighed 900,000 lbs. In 1981, LDG Logging Co of Oakhurst purchased . . . — Map (db m60308) HM
California (Madera County), Oakhurst — Madera Sugar Pine Flume
Taking two years to construct and opening in August 1876, The flume ran 52 miles from Sugar Pine Sawmill to the Planing mill and railroad in Madera. This wooden flume transported lumber and loggers to Madera across deep canyons, streams and . . . — Map (db m84537) HM
California (Marin County), Mill Valley — Fall in Muir WoodsMuir Woods National Monument
Warm days, gold and crimson foliage, and migratory animals mark the season.

Sonoma chipmunks busily prepare for hibernation. They forage through the woods in search of seeds, nuts, and berries. When their cheek pouches are full, they dig a . . . — Map (db m92646)

California (Marin County), Mill Valley — Y — Preserving the Forest PrimevalMuir Woods National Monument
You are entering one of the world's last remaining ancient coast redwood forests. This magnificent forest...with its redwoods, the tallest of living things...is protected and made accessible to the public by the National Park Service for the . . . — Map (db m82387) HM
California (Mariposa County), Fish Camp — The Surviving Tunnel Tree
Walk through this living tree and look for evidence of it heeling itself. Bark of this sequoia is growing inward in an attempt to close over its wound — the large tunnel carved in 1895. Thought to have served as a lower elevation winter . . . — Map (db m84231) HM
California (Mendocino County), Fort Bragg — Charles Russell JohnsonFounder of Fort Bragg, CA
. . . — Map (db m11085) HM
California (Modoc County), Willow Ranch — Willow Ranch
This monument was erected in honor of all the people who were part of what once was a thriving community when the Crane Creek and Willow Ranch Lumber Companies were in operation here from 1929 to 1959. The land was given to Modoc County by the . . . — Map (db m10367) HM
California (Mono County), Walker — The C-130 CrewLost During the Cannon Fire - June 17, 2002
In Loving and Grateful Memory of The C-130 Crew Steve Wass, Craig Labare and Mike Davis Who gave their lives to save our community on June 17, 2002 — Map (db m23036) HM
California (Monterey County), Carmel — Lone CypressPerched over the Pacific for Hundreds of Years
Even though Monterey cypress trees prefer this area's rugged bare granite headlands, the Lone Cypress is a testament to the hardiness of these trees. It has withstood Pacific storms and winds for roughly 250 years. Fences and cables now offer added . . . — Map (db m8476) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Moon Tree
Coast Redwood Sequoia sempervirens This "Moon Tree" is a Coast Redwood grown from a seed that in January 1971 was carried to the moon and brought back to earth by Major Stuart Roosa, Command Module Pilot for Apollo 14. The seed . . . — Map (db m63500) HM
California (Monterey County), Pebble Beach — Cypress Point LookoutDo you see snow or trees?
In 1542, the explorer Cabrillo called this point of land Cabo de Nieve - Cape Snow- to describe the white landscapes before him. No one's sure what he saw. In 1774, Tomás de la Peña, a missionary, gave this western-most point on the Monterey . . . — Map (db m83330) HM
California (Nevada County), Rough and Ready — Rowe Saw Mill1865
In the 1860’s there were four saw mills in this area. This display, in honor of his founding fathers, is from the Tom Rowe Saw Mill, and displays how the mill works. The foreman stood in the cage and called out the beam size (8x8, 12x12, etc.) then . . . — Map (db m39895) HM
California (Nevada County), Truckee — George Schaffer1828 – 1903
One of Truckee’s earliest settlers. Schaffer in 1866 built the first lumber mill in the town. He freighted the locomotive San Mateo to Truckee in a winter crossing of the Sierra prior to the laying of Central Pacific tracks. This building “The . . . — Map (db m60580) HM
California (Nevada County), Washington — The History of This Area
The Native People The cultural history of people inhabiting the western slope of the Sierras spans a period of at least 3,500 years. It is known that the Nisenan, a Native California tribe, occupied the geographic region between the Sierra . . . — Map (db m44642) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — The Steam Donkey
How the Dolbeer Donkey steam engine got its name is one of the real mysteries of the West. Some folks say it was called a "donkey" because loggers thought it was too puny to merit a horsepower rating invented by John Dolbeer, this portable steam . . . — Map (db m55365) HM
California (Orange County), Los Alamitos — This Big Saw
This nine-foot band saw is among the largest log saw ever used in the sawmill industry. It weighs over 38,000 pounds and has a blade that stretches over 56 feet in length. This saw was used to cut Douglas Fir and Ponderosa Pine logs up to ten feet . . . — Map (db m66262) HM
California (Orange County), Placentia — 34 — Macadamia Tree
These Australian nut-producing trees are the oldest Macadamia tetraphylla in California. They were planted prior to 1890 by a local spiritualist health colony, the Societas Fraternia. Members experimented with many varieties of fruits and nuts to . . . — Map (db m50018) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Travelers’ Rest (Bernhard Complex)
Travelers’ Rest Stage Roadhouse constructed 1851. Benjamin Bernhard, native of Hesse-Cassel, Germany, arrived Auburn 1852, purchased surrounding 30 acres 1868. Developed high level vineyard and orchard cultivation and pioneered experimental silkworm . . . — Map (db m690) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Tahoe City’s “Big Tree”
For over 125 years a grand pine tree known as the “Big Tree” stood in the centerline of Highway 28 in the heart of Tahoe City. In 1940 the Federated Women’s Club literally joined hands around the tree when the California Division . . . — Map (db m34524) HM
California (Plumas County), Chester — In Memory of the Lumberjack
They were fallers, buckers, swampers, barkers, skidders, snipers, doggers, greasers, bull punchers, skinners, hook tenders, choker setters, rigging slingers, high climbers, donkey men, whistle punks, river pigs, and more. Once they were lumberjacks, . . . — Map (db m56737) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Mt. Ingalls LookoutElev. 8372
Donated by: Plumas Nat. Forest Built by: Company 989 C.C.C, 1935 Dismantled & Rebuilt by Reserve Navy Mobile Construction Battalion – 2 “Sea Bees” — Map (db m56501) HM
California (Riverside County), Desert Center — Where Are The Joshua Trees?Joshua Tree National Park
A common question asked by visitors entering Joshua Tree National Park through the southern entrance is “Where are the Joshua trees?” Sometime the Mojave yucca, a close relative is mistaken, for a Joshua tree. The reality is that Joshua . . . — Map (db m92514) HM
California (Riverside County), Riverside — The First Marsh Grapefruit Trees into California
To Commemorate the introduction of the first Marsh Grapefruit Trees into California, brought to Riverside from Lakeland, Florida in 1890 by Twogood and Cutter, pioneer nurserymen, and to honor J.E. Cutter who planted here one of those first trees. — Map (db m82144) HM
California (Riverside County), Temecula — The Great Oak
This is the place of the Great Oak or Wi’ia$ha (We-awsh-ah). The great oak is a member of the wi’ia$al or Coast Live Oak Family (Quercus Agrifolia). Estimates range anywhere from 500 to 2000 years old. The Great Oak continues to attract people to . . . — Map (db m36210) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — California Firefighters Memorial
Honoring men and women of uncommon courage who paid the ultimate price to protect our lives, our families and our dreams — Map (db m14836) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — California State Capitol Park
HISTORY When Spanish governors ruled the California territory, its capitol was moved from town to town between San Diego and Monterey. San Jose had already been designated the capitol by the time California was granted statehood in 1850. . . . — Map (db m15017) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Civil War Symbol Yields To Time
A STUMP IS ALL THAT REMAINS of a Silver Maple transplanted from the Battlefield of Chattanooga. In 1897 the sapling was planted here as part of a Memorial Grove dedicated to Union soldiers who fought in the Civil War. The first war memorial to . . . — Map (db m14984) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Pinus PineaItalian Stone Pine
Pinus Pinea Italian Stone Pine Dedicated on April 14, 1983 by Governor George Deukmejian Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Civilian Conservation Corps — Map (db m90265) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Arrowhead — 34 — Mormon Lumber Road
In the spring of 1852, over one hundred Mormon men donated a full thousand man-days of arduous labor, to construct a road up Waterman Canyon, past this spot, and into the prime timber, where some of their enterprising bethren established six . . . — Map (db m51260) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Lake Arrowhead — Memorial to Pauliena LaFuze
"I never thought I would outlive the trees" A century old herself in 2005, and seeing many of her beloved trees bow to beetle and flame, Pauliena Lafuze had done just that. She has been a Lake Arrowhead Woman's Club member since the . . . — Map (db m30409) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Ontario — Nine Young Pepper Trees
This is one of nine young pepper trees purchased and planted on Euclid Avenue by the students of Ontario's nine public elementary schools in observance of Arbor Day, March 8, 1954. The young trees were planted as replacements for mature trees of . . . — Map (db m375) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Twentynine Palms — 23 — Minerva Hamilton Hoyt
Her tireless efforts to establish Joshua Tree National Monument contributed to a heightened appreciation, not only of the Joshua Tree, but of the total desert environment. — Map (db m78588) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — Christmas TreeHotel del Coronado
Here stands the world's first electrically-lighted outdoor Christmas tree, unveiled at the Hotel del Coronado on December 24, 1904 — Map (db m70553) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — Dragon TreeDracaema Draco, agavaceae — Hotel Del Coronado
Native to the Canary Islands this unusual tree was planted at The Del prior to the turn of the century where it thrives in our temperate southern California coastal climate. The Dragon Tree was used as a backdrop in the Marilyn Monroe movie . . . — Map (db m70552) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Balboa Park
The city’s haven for culture and leisure San Diego’s Cultural Oasis Located just minutes away from downtown San Diego, Balboa Park provides an enriching experience for more than 14 million visitors from near and far each year. Referred to . . . — Map (db m73907) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 764 — Kate Olivia Sessions' Nursery Site1857 - 1940
This plaque commemorates the life and influence of a woman who envisioned San Diego beautiful. On this site she operated a nursery and gained world renown as a horticulturist. She was the first woman to receive the International Meyer Medal in . . . — Map (db m51098) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Moreton Bay Fig
Moreton Bay Fig (Ficus Macrophylla native to Australia) In 1904 the House of Representative legislated protection of this tree. Requested by President Theodore Roosevelt after a visit of the area. This tree is now over 200 years old. — Map (db m70319) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Huntington Park/Fountain of the Tortoises
Huntington Park On this site in 1872, General David D. Colton, a railroad attorney, built one of the most elaborate residences ever seen in San Francisco. The classic white wooden mansion featured an entry flight of marble steps leading to a . . . — Map (db m63532) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — CHL 840 — The Conservatory
California’s first municipal greenhouse was completed in 1879. It was patterned after the Conservatory, Kew Gardens, England. A distinguished example of late-Victorian style using techniques of mass production and assembly of simple glass units, it . . . — Map (db m71446) HM
California (San Mateo County), San Mateo — Central Park and The Kohl Pumphouse
The site of the Central Park is possibly the sole surviving example of the late nineteenth century estates once so numerous on the Peninsula. Charles B. Polhemus, Director of the San Francisco & San Jose Railroad and founder of Central San . . . — Map (db m28712) HM
California (San Mateo County), San Mateo — Higurashi-en"Garden Worthy of a Days Contemplation"
This authentic historic oriental garden and tea house was first developed in the 1880's by Peninsula pioneer Henry Bowie. The property later became part of the Eugene de Sabla estate. Joan and Achille Paladini, current owners have restored the . . . — Map (db m93312) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Lompoc — Italian Stone PinesPinus Pinea
Planted in the 1930's, this magnificent stand of pines is a treasure in Lompoc's landscape. Rare and historic, these trees receive global recognition for their beauty. — Map (db m67214) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — Black Walnut TreesCampbell Historical Location
Black Walnut Trees planted about 1885 by William A. Swope, Son-In-Law of Benjamin Campbell, and daughters Alda Swope Blaine, Ethel Swope Davis, and Lena Swope French. — Map (db m24234) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — El Palo Nuevo
On November 8, 1789, Don Gaspar De Portola and his expedition in search of Monterey Bay, camped beside San Francisquito Creek near a century-old redwood tree long a landmark for the Indians. The tree named El Palo Alto, became a symbol for the city . . . — Map (db m92466) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — SCL-056 — Keesling’s Shade Trees
The Northern California Black Walnut trees seen along this highway owe their existence to horticulturist Horace G. Keesling of San José. While passing this way by camp wagon on a blistering summer day in 1900, Keesling could find no roadside tree . . . — Map (db m52138) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 15 — Pellier Park
Pellier Park is all that remains of the City Gardens Nursery, established by Louis Pellier in 1850. Here with, his brothers, Pierre and Jean, Louis introduced “la petite D’Agen,” the French Prune, during the winter of 1856-1857. I was . . . — Map (db m52613) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — The Chiechi House
A late Victorian example of simplified Italianate architecture, the Chiechi House was built in approximately 1876 by John and Jane Campbell. In 1913 the house, at 820 Northrup Avenue, was purchased by Michele Chiechi. Prominent valley orchardists, . . . — Map (db m52181) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Saratoga — 733 — Paul Masson Mountain Winery
From the winery that bears the name of Paul Masson, premium wines and champagne have flowed continuously since 1852, even during Prohibition under a special government license. Twice partially destroyed by earthquake and fire, the original sandstone . . . — Map (db m2625) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Scotts Valley — POHI-005 — Mountain Charlie Big Tree
Named for Charles Henry “Mountain Charlie” McKiernan, who was one of the first white settlers in the Santa Cruz Mountain area. One of the largest trees of its species, this Sequoia sempervirens was originally over 300 feet high. The tree . . . — Map (db m53479) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Watsonville — The Discovery of California Redwoods
July 14, 1769, an expedition led by Don Gaspar de Portola left San Diego to rediscover Vizcaino's "Lost Port of Monterey". The expedition reached but failed to recognize Monterey Bay, traveled north, and discovered San Francisco Bay November 4, . . . — Map (db m86462) HM
California (Shasta County), Burney — Fountain Fire Vista Point
This facility is dedicated to the men and women, who battled the 1992 Fountain Fire, and those who have worked and are working to restore this forest to a healthy and productive part of the local ecosystem. During the dangerous salvage . . . — Map (db m13741) HM
California (Shasta County), Castella — 3 — The Sawmill
It’s hard to imagine the roar of a sawmill in this quiet valley... But the foundations and saw wheel in front of you are testament to a small sawmill at Sims. If you look closer, you can even make out a log pond barely visible in the brush to . . . — Map (db m69841) HM
California (Shasta County), Castella — 2 — Water Tank
This water tank is one of only a few historic remains that help tell the Sims story... The story starts around 1902 when the first sawmill at Sims was built. During this time, logs were transported to the sawmill by horses and steam donkeys. . . . — Map (db m69842) HM
California (Sierra County), Calpine — Sierra Valley History
Sierra Valley was discovered in 1851 by James P. Beckwourth, a mountain man and entrepreneur who was searching for a northern route across the Sierra Nevada. The valley had been sighted a year earlier by prospectors exploring the nearby Sierra . . . — Map (db m65990) HM
California (Sierra County), Loyalton — Loyalton
The earliest settlers arrived in the Loyalton area in the late 1850s, where they stopped in the lush valley on their way to the Sacramento Valley. Founded in the 1850s as Smithneck, the community had raised a great amount of money for the Union . . . — Map (db m66035) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Etna — Hallie Daggett: Sophisticated Lady and Hardy Pioneer
Hallie Morse Daggett was a refined woman educated in San Francisco, however, her deep love for her childhood home at the Black Bear Mine near Sawyers Bar drew her back to the mountains. She knew how to hunt, fish, ride, trap and shoot early in life . . . — Map (db m57944) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Etna — Hallie Morse DaggettDec. 19, 1878 – Oct. 19, 1964 — Forest Service
First woman U.S. Forest Service Fire Lookout Eddy Gulch Lookout on Klamath Peak Klamath National Forest 1919-1927 — Map (db m70271) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Macdoel — TennantFounded: 1921 - Elev. 4808.5
Named after John D. Tennant, an official of the Long Bell Lumber Co. Besides the store that is still here, the town had a church, post office, library, hotel, skidsshacks, schools, and a roundhouse at the height of logging operations. Trains were . . . — Map (db m69868) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Sawyers Bar — Eddy Gulch LookoutReflections of the Past
In 1913, Hallie Daggett accepted the job at the Eddy Gulch Lookout, entering history books as the Forest Service’s first woman lookout (1913-1927). At a time when men dominated the workplace, this act took special courage, self-confidence, and a . . . — Map (db m70294) HM
California (Solano County), Vacaville — Uncle Burt's Tree
This famous Black Walnut tree has provided the nuts for starting over 100 walnut groves in California. It gave shade for travelers and their teams who enjoyed the Wykoff Ranch hospitality of the cool water well nearby. It is said to have been . . . — Map (db m91457) HM
California (Solano County), Winters — 804 — Wolfskill GrantUniversity of California Experimental Farm
In 1842 John R. Wolfskill arrived here loaded with fruit seeds and cuttings. He was a true horticulturist and became the father of the fruit industry in this region. In 1937 Mrs. Frances Wolfskill Taylor Wilson, his daughter, bequeathed 107.28 acres . . . — Map (db m40132) HM
California (Sonoma County), Santa Rosa — Luther Burbank Home
Luther Burbank was born in Massachusetts on March 7, 1849 and arrived in Santa Rosa in October 1875. In 1884 he purchased four acres surrounding this site as a place for horticultural experiments. Here he lived and worked until his death on April . . . — Map (db m12590) HM
California (Tehama County), Manton — Forward Brothers SawmillSite of
The original Forward Brother’s, Alfred T. and Frank, established the mill in 1908. The mill was moved from the original site which was where the Mt. Lassen Vineyards are now. Alfred died in 1931 and Frank went on with the raising of livestock. At . . . — Map (db m58584) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Jumper Sawmill
In the 1880’s George Jumper established a steam powered sawmill 300' east of this monument, above the confluence of Little Brown’s Creek and China Gulch. An 80’ long building housed the mill. Oxen teams of ten or more were used to pull long, four . . . — Map (db m56136) HM
California (Tulare County), Grant Grove Village — The Centennial StumpDiameter – 24 ft.
This tree was cut in 1875, and a 16 ft. section sent to the Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition of 1876. Only the outer shell was exhibited, the parts being reassembled after shipment. Eastern people refused to accept the exhibit as part of a single . . . — Map (db m44327) HM
California (Tulare County), Kings Canyon National Park — General Grant Tree Trail
Along this loop trail, information signs help acquaint you with the General Grant and other notable trees in this impressive sequoia grove. For a more detailed story, purchase the self-guiding brochure at the Grant Grove Visitor Center or from a . . . — Map (db m82384) HM
California (Tulare County), Kings Canyon National Park — The Fallen MonarchKings Canyon National Park
(Left side) One wonders how long this tree fell...A high tanning content makes Giant Sequoia wood undigestible to fungi, bacteria, insects, and other decay organisms. Thus, decay of this wood takes place very slowly! The Fallen Monarch . . . — Map (db m82385) HM
California (Tulare County), Lodgepole Village — For the Good of the Giants
Try to imagine yourself standing here in the 1950’s. You would have been surrounded by cars. Engine noise and exhaust would have overridden your impressions of the giant trees. Almost 100 cabins and motel units would have faced you from across the . . . — Map (db m44311) HM
California (Tulare County), Three Rivers — General Sherman TreeSequoia National Park
There it is! The largest tree on earth. Directly in front of you stands the biggest tree on the planet, the General Sherman Tree. Some trees grow taller, and some are bigger around, but no tree has greater mass. The amount of space taken up by its . . . — Map (db m87852) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Groveland — In Memory of David Erickson
A U.S. Forest Service crew leader from Siskiyou County, Calif. lost his life while fighting the Stanislaus Complex Fire which destroyed 147,000 acres. For the love of the forest he gave the ultimate sacrifice September 11, 1987. Sit and rest . . . — Map (db m905) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Tuolumne — Westside Flume & Lumber Company1889 - 1962
May 31, 1889 Henry J. Crocker, Wellington Gregg, Thomas Bullock and Charles Gardner formed the Westside Flume and Lumber Company, for a total cost of 361,000.00 dollars. The mill was built, and by the end of the year was in operation, and by 1900 . . . — Map (db m7560) HM
California (Ventura County), Newbury Park — 30 & 44 — Stagecoach Inn and Sycamore Tree
"The hotel was built by James Hammell as the Grand Union Hotel in 1876 and was often called the "Conejo" or "Big" Hotel. In 1885, the site was purchased by Cecil Haigh. In 1965, his grandson, H. Allen Hays, donated 4 acres and the hotel to the . . . — Map (db m78003) HM
Colorado (El Paso County), Colorado Springs — A Plentiful Harvest
The abundant seeds of piñon and juniper trees draw wildlife to this ecosystem like a magnet. Chipmunks, foxes, piñon mice and squirrels munch the blue or copper-colored juniper berries. The berries last through the winter. They provide food for . . . — Map (db m45982) HM
Colorado (El Paso County), Colorado Springs — Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site
Welcome! Rock ledge Ranch Historic Site is a living history museum that allows visitors to experience the lives of the people who dwelled, worked, hunted, herded and raised families here from the 1700s to the early 20th century. This . . . — Map (db m46002) HM
Colorado (El Paso County), Colorado Springs — Take a Closer Look...Alpine/Subalpine Life Zone
Alpine and subalpine tundra is the low-growing vegetation found in the “land above the trees.” At this high elevation, the climate is harsh with searing winds, intense sunlight and frigid temperatures that limit the growing season. In . . . — Map (db m45927) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — Farming
Since 1859 Clear Creek has provided water through irrigation ditches to farmers east of Golden. Many such ditches were dug in the 1800s, including the Welch Ditch (originally Vasquez Ditch), Church Ditch (originally Golden City & Ralston Creek . . . — Map (db m51912) HM
Colorado (La Plata County), Durango — Lime Creek Burn 1879
This man-caused forest fire burned 26,000 acres consuming approximately 150,000,000 board-feet of timber. Reforestation by direct seeding and planting of seedling trees was started in 1911 and continues today. The project was financed by federal . . . — Map (db m58966) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Avon — Charter Oak descendant
State Tree of Connecticut White Oak Constitutional Convention July 1, 1965 John deKoven Alsop Delegate — Map (db m94515) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Avon — Constitution Oak
Constitution Oak 1902 Avon, Conn. Constitution Oak Centennial Celebration June 18, 2002 — Map (db m94497) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Collinsville — Charter Oak Offspring
Offspring of Connecticut Original Charter Oak Troop 77 Collinsville Boy Scouts of America April 25, 1964 — Map (db m92430) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Collinsville — Constitution Oak
Commemorating Connecticut’s 1902 Constitutional Convention Presented to Collins Co. President E.H. Sears Canton Delegate — Map (db m92431) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Charter Oak Monument
Near This Spot Stood The Charter Oak Memorable in the History of the Colony of Connecticut As The Hiding Place Of The Charter October 31, 1687 The Tree Fell August 21, 1856 [ back ] 1905 This Monument Erected by . . . — Map (db m52339) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Scion of the Charter Oak
Scion of the Charter Oak Planted 19 October 1871 by First Company Governor's Foot Guard White Oak (Quercus atba L) In the earliest days the great oak served both as a council tree and agricultural guide for Native Americans. The annual spring . . . — Map (db m64924) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Theodore Wirth
Theodore Wirth Superintendent Hartford Parks 1896 - 1905 Designer 1903 Elizabeth Park Rose Garden To whom this rose bed is dedicated and for whom it will be maintained as long as the park is here and people love roses . . . forever . . . — Map (db m44111) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — Frederick Law Olmstead
Frederick Law Olmstead 1822 – 1903 Landscape architect Frederick Law Olmstead, the nineteenth century visionary who founded the profession of landscape architecture, is responsible for the overall design of Walnut Hill Park. Influenced by the . . . — Map (db m41759) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Simsbury — Connecticut Charter Oak Descendent
Connecticut Charter Oak Descendent Planted In Commemoration Of The Celebration Of The Bicentennial Of The United States Of America July 4, 1976 The Simsbury Bicentennial Committee Jackson F. Eno, Chairman — Map (db m88144) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Simsbury — Gifford Pinchot Birthplace
Gifford Pinchot Birthplace Gifford Pinchot (1865 – 1946)was for more than 50 years a staunch advocate of forestry and conservation in the United States. He was born on this site on August 11, 1865 to James Wallace Pinchot and Mary Jane Eno; . . . — Map (db m88140) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Simsbury — The Pinchot Sycamore
circumference 23 feet 7 inches Dedicated May 1, 1965 in memory of Gifford Pinchot 1865--1946 Born in Simsbury, Connecticut, co-founder of the Yale School of Forestry, first chief of the U.S. Forestry Service, Conservation Advisor . . . — Map (db m92161) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Simsbury — This Elm Tree
This Elm Tree Dedicated in Honor of the Bicentennial of the Birth of George Washington Abigail Phelps Chapter D.A.R. February 22, 1932 — Map (db m87951) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Wethersfield — Wethersfield Elm
1748   1953 Here Stood The Wethersfield Elm Largest Of Its Kind — Map (db m46121) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Barkhamsted — Peoples State Forest
This portion of the Peoples Forest was given by the Connecticut Daughters of the American Revolution 1929 Near this spot was the site of an Indian Village — Map (db m93827) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Cornwall — Scion of the Charter Oak
In Memory Of Lewis S. Gannett Scion Of The Charter Oak Dedicated April 23, 1966 Cornwall Historical Society — Map (db m41825) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Roxbury — The Orzech Family Preserve
This 112-Acre Parcel Has Been Preserved In Perpetuity Since Sept. 11, 2002 By The Roxbury Land Trust Edward F. and Elizabeth M. Orzech Whose Family Established Their Farm Here In 1924 — Map (db m42529) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Ansonia — Charter Oak Seedling
In observance of the U.S. Bicentennial, Elizabeth Clarke Hull Chapter NSDAR marks the site of a Charter Oak seedling given to the City of Ansonia Oct. 27, 1966, by former Mayor Frank P. Fitzpatrick May 15, 1976 Map (db m25407) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), East Haven — Site of the Theodore Roosevelt Oak
This is the Site Of The Theodore Roosevelt Oak Given by The President of The United States To the Town of East Haven On May 1, 1908 Erected by The East Haven Women's Club 1965 — Map (db m35580) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), New Haven — Pardee Rose Garden
Pardee Rose Garden Planted and Maintained under the Will and Bequest of William Scranton Pardee of this City as a lasting Memorial of his Mother Nancy Maria English Pardee MCMXXII — Map (db m34721) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Andover — Constitution Oak
1902 Constitutional Oak (a Pin Oak-Quercus palustris) Planted May 3, 1902 to commemorate the State Constitutional Convention of that year — Map (db m93612) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — An Army of Restoration (CCC)
To provide employment and vocational training for youthful citizens of the United States…through the performance of useful public work in connection with the conservation and development of the natural resources of the United States and its . . . — Map (db m4491) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The St. Jones River: Why the Mansion Faces South
The St. Jones River, a major Delaware navigable waterway, is situated south of the John Dickinson Plantation. The river connects the Delaware Bay to the inland city of Dover. Between 1760 and 1808, John Dickinson owned six farms that bordered the . . . — Map (db m79168) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — This Tree Was Living When William Penn Came to Pennsylvania
1682 - 1932 This tree was living when William Penn came to Pennsylvania 1682 White Oak, Quercus Alba Girth Breast High, 1932, 14ft. 4 ins. — Map (db m73845) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-121 — Cool Spring Park
With the completion of Cool Spring Reservoir in 1877, an adjoining parcel of unused land was reserved for park purposes. Formally designated as Cool Spring Park, the grounds were managed by the Wilmington Water Department until 1967, when the City . . . — Map (db m10917) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milton — SC-165 — The Holly Industry
Since ancient times the holly tree has been a decorative symbol of the winter holiday season. The abundant growth of this colorful evergreen in Delaware resulted in the establishment of a major export industry during the first half of the 20th . . . — Map (db m37399) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — A Symbol of International Friendship
On March 27, 1912, First Lady Helen Herron Taft, Viscountess Iwa Chinda, wife of the Japanese ambassador to the United States, and a small group of people assembled at the Tidal Basin. There they planted the first two of more than 3,000 flowering . . . — Map (db m93423) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Bradford Pear Tree
(Pyrus calleryana Bradford) An ornamental shade tree developed by U.S.D.A. Scientists Planted May 2, 1966 by Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson Orville L. Freeman, Secretary of Agriculture Va. & Md. 4-H Clubs In behalf of National Beautification . . . — Map (db m70457) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — 8 — Early EntrepreneursBattleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail
Apple and Peach Trees once covered the slopes to your left, some 40 acres' worth, all planted by noted horticulturalist John Saul (1819-1897). In the 1870s Saul was one of Brghtwood's largest landowners. In addition to these orchards, he . . . — Map (db m72822) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Klingle MansionRock Creek Park
This Pennsylvania Dutch style structure was built in 1823 by Joshua Pierce. The west side was added in 1843. It encloses ten rooms within its three stories. A utility house and potting shed flank the rear. Joshua was an avid horticulturist, and . . . — Map (db m70684) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Smokey Bear Blue Spruce
Blue Spruce Picea pungens Planted April 11, 1984 To honor the 40th birthday of Smokey Bear by John R. Block, Secretary of Agriculture R. Max Peterson, Chief, USDA Forest Service and the Forester's Wives Club of Washington, D.C. . . . — Map (db m70456) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Tupelo Tree(Nyssa Sylvatica)
This & neighboring trees were From all parts of the country Planted by Camp Fire Girls At a National Conservation Rally April 12, 1936 in memory of Dr. Luther H. Gulick First President — Map (db m65020) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — White House Kitchen Garden
”. . . Now I shall plant, if at all, more for the public than for myself.” John Quincy Adams, diary entry for July 5, 1826, shortly before beginning the first major planting program at the White House. Massachusetts . . . — Map (db m61677) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), National Mall — Cedar of LebanonCedrus libani — National Museum/National Museum of Natural History
This tree commemorates the 100th anniversary of the 1904 groundbreaking of the new National Museum. A wooded park, with a variety of trees including these cedars, previously stood here. Dedicated on June 15, 2004 Photo caption: . . . — Map (db m70231) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Northeast — “The President’s Trees”
Dedicated by Maryland State Society, Daughters of the American Revolution, April 21, 1934. Growing on land that was once a part of Maryland and was in 1790 her gift to the United States of America for the national capitol, the 31 trees in this group . . . — Map (db m4893) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Northeast — Morrison Azalea Garden
Assembled in this garden is a permanent collection of the Glenn Dale Hybrid Azaleas, originated, selected, and named by B. Y. Morrison, first Director of the U.S. National Arboretum. — Map (db m966) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Northwest — All Hallows GuildWashington National Cathedral
In recognition of the contributions made by generations of All Hallows Guild members since 1916 to the gardens, oak grove, and grounds of Washington National Cathedral a haven of peace and refreshment a revelation of God’s beauty and a . . . — Map (db m71205) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Enid A. Haupt Garden
Panel 1: Enid A. Haupt Garden. A popular urban oasis since its completion in 1987, the 4.2-acre Enid A. Haupt Garden comprises three distinct gardens. The design of each reflects the cultural and aesthetic influences celebrated in the . . . — Map (db m46666) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The Ellipse — The National Christmas Tree
At 5:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve, 1923, President Calvin Coolidge walked from the White House to the Ellipse and “pushed the button” to light the first National Christmas Tree. A crowd of 3,000 witnessed the inaugural lighting of the . . . — Map (db m61678) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Andrew Jackson Downing
[Inscription on urn pedestal, 1856]: This vase was erected by his friends in memory of ANDREW JACKSON DOWNING who died July 28, 1852, aged 37 years. He was born, and lived, and died upon the Hudson River. His life was . . . — Map (db m46600) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Bald Cypress[Native American Agriculture] — [U.S. Department of Agriculture]
This tree commemorates the many contributions Native Americans have made to American agriculture, plants domesticated and harvested by Native Americans in the New World still make up a significant proportion of all vegetables produced worldwide. . . . — Map (db m47743) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Petrified WoodAraucarioxylon Arizonicum Knowlton — Triassic Period
about 200 million years old Found near Petrified Forest National Park, Arizona Contributors: Mr. and Mrs. James M. Gray Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Zuhl City of Holbrook, Arizona — Map (db m54063) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The Tidal Basin — Japanese Pagoda
Admired by thousands each year, the Japanese Pagoda arrived in Washington, not as a gift from one nation to another, but as a gift from one man to another. In 1957, Ryozo Hiranuma, the Mayor of Yokohama and a visitor to Washington, DC four years . . . — Map (db m309) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The Tidal Basin — The 1912 Cherry Tree Plantings
Historic Trees. You are standing near two of the most important cherry trees in Washington, D.C. These Yoshino Cherries (Prunus x yedoensis) are among the 3,700 trees of various species that grow in East and West Potomac Park and on the . . . — Map (db m215) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Tidal Basin — The Gift of Trees - The 1910 Shipment — National Mall and Memorial Parks
The Gift of Trees Flowering cherry trees – which bloom profusely but do not bear edible fruit – were not common in the United States in 1900. American visitors to Japan found their beauty remarkable and journalist Eliza Scidmore . . . — Map (db m61837) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Washington — The First Japanese Cherry Trees
The first Japanese Cherry Trees, presented to the City of Washington as a gesture of friendship and good will by the City of Tokyo, were planted on this site, March 27, 1912. — Map (db m54912) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Micanopy — F-75 — William Bartram Trail1739 ~ 1823
The great Quaker naturalist of Philadelphia made a long journey through the southeastern states in the 1770's collecting botanical specimens. In May, 1774, he visited the Seminole Chief, Cowkeeper, at the Indian village of Cuscowilla located near . . . — Map (db m48676) HM
Florida (Alachua County), near Fairbanks — F- 516 — Turpentine Industry Community and Family
(Front Text) The naval stores industry was important to maritime power worldwide. Pine tar and pitch were used to seal wooden ships and protect sails and rigging. When settlers came to America - in Florida (1565), in Virginia (1607) and in . . . — Map (db m42012) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Newberry — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773 - 1777 — Deep South Region
Blue Sink Visited by William Bartram, America's first naturalist, in 1774. Erected by Newberry Garden Club in cooperation with Dist. V. FFGC National Council of State Garden Clubs, Inc. Fla. Dept. of Transportation — Map (db m65202) HM
Florida (Bay County), Panama City — The Old Sentry
This Heritage Oak Tree is estimated to be over 250 years old It was standing during The War Between the States as if a Sentry standing guard over Old St Andrews Bay — Map (db m87324) HM
Florida (Columbia County), near Mikesville — "CCC Boy" Statue
This "CCC Boy" Statue was erected by Chapter 143, NACCCA, Gainsville, Florida In 2007. Chapter 143 was organized by CCC veterans of the area on October 1, 1988. This statue was donated to Chapter 143 and O'Leno State Park by . . . — Map (db m66128) HM
Florida (Columbia County), near Mikesville — Civilian Conservation CorpsApril 5, 1933   June 30, 1942
2,876,638 American youth served in 4500 CCC Camps restoring ravaged lands of a depressed America. Some Accomplishments 2 to 3 billion trees planted, 800 parks built, 3980 historical sites restored, and 6 million days . . . — Map (db m65804) HM
Florida (Dixie County), Cross CIty — F-515 — Putnam Lodge
Putnam Lodge, built in 1927-28 by the Putnam Lumber Company, is part of a bygone era in Florida's forestry history. Here, beside the old Dixie Highway, Putnam Lodge, part of the "company town" of Shamrock, accommodated tourists, transients and . . . — Map (db m77791) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-774 — Oriental Gardens
Located two miles from downtown Jacksonville, south of Craig Creek in San Marco; Oriental Gardens charmed Jacksonville visitors and residents for nearly two decades. In 1925, George W. Clark began planting overflow from his botanical collection on a . . . — Map (db m93100) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Century — Century, Florida / Alger Railroad
Century, Florida Founded in 1900 to house mill employees of the Alger-Sullivan Lumber Company, formed in 1900 by General Russell A. Alger - Governor of Michigan, U.S. Senator, and President McKinley's Secretary of War - and by Martin H. . . . — Map (db m46693) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — Garden Street(La Calle Jardin)
So~named because under British, each purchaser of lots in the Old City (South of here) was given a plot with the corresponding number (North of here) on Conway Street for garden purposes. Lots were 80' x 278'. Section included present Garden Street . . . — Map (db m72269) HM
Florida (Highlands County), Venus — F-643 — Archbold Biological Station at Red Hill
These buildings were designed and built during 1930-1935 by Alexander Blair for the Red Hill Estate of John A. Roebling II, son of Washington A. Roebling, who built the Brooklyn Bridge. The industrial vernacular buildings (structures meant to house . . . — Map (db m72522) HM
Florida (Indian River County), Vero Beach — McKee Jungle Garden Gates
These gates, once the property of Henry Flagler, adorned McKee Jungle Garden’s main entrance from 1932 until 1967. Thereafter, they graced the residence of one of Arthur McKee’s daughters, Mary-Katherine Semon until the time of her husband’s death, . . . — Map (db m92563) HM
Florida (Indian River County), Vero Beach — F-403 — McKee Jungle Gardens
This is the original site of McKee Jungle Gardens, one of Florida’s earliest tourist attractions. McKee Gardens was founded in 1932 by Vero Beach pioneer Waldo Sexton and Cleveland industrialist Arthur G. McKee. They engaged William Lyman Phillips, . . . — Map (db m92562) HM
Florida (Lee County), Fort Myers — Banyan Tree (Ficus benghalensis)Planted as a sapling circa 1927 — Native to South Asia
Edison, Ford, and Firestone formed the Edison Botanic Research Corporation in 1927 to find a fast-growing, natural source of rubber that could be grown in the United States. The banyan tree was one of more than 17,000 plant specimens that were . . . — Map (db m89867) HM
Florida (Lee County), Fort Myers — Edison Heritage GardenIn Memory of Thomas and Mina Edison
This garden area has been created to reflect the Edison original plan for the Estate landscape. It commemorates the legacy of Thomas and Mina Edison and other groups and individuals involved in the cultural landscape of the Edison & Ford Winter . . . — Map (db m89866) HM
Florida (Lee County), Fort Myers — The Moonlight Garden
The Moonlight Garden was designed in 1928 by Ellen Biddle Shipman, one of the first female’s landscape architects in America. She specialized in enclosed gardens, full of drift beds where flowers of beauty bloomed in cycles throughout the year. . . . — Map (db m90277) HM
Florida (Levy County), Gulf Hammock — Patterson-McInnis Train
This locomotive, known locally as "Three Spot", often pulled 30 to 40 cars as it transported logs from area woodlands to the Patterson-McInnis Sawmill. Originally a wood burning engine thought to be built around 1915, it was converted to steam . . . — Map (db m19402) HM
Florida (Liberty County), Bristol — F-46 — Torreya Tree
In this vicinity on the Apalachicola River, Hardy Bryan Croom, pioneer Florida planter and botanist, discovered one of the rarest of coniferous trees, Torreya taxifolia circa 1835, and named it for Dr. John Torrey, prominent American botanist. Only . . . — Map (db m17753) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — Steam Engine of the Florida Manufacturing Company
Across Range Street, this Unit was used in Cotton and Peanut processing until 1919 and later carried to Taylor County for use in the Lumber Industry. With a 5-foot Piston Stroke and a 16-foot Drive Wheel, this 500 HP Engine pulled 65 Gins in the . . . — Map (db m17752) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — State of Florida Historic Roadway
Originally eight feet wide, Le Jeune Road was built by James D. Girtman (1874-1960). In addition to being a road builder, Mr. Girtman was also a successful grocer, fur trader, expert on Seminole culture, and fruit and vegetable grower. In 1902, Mr. . . . — Map (db m74932) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Palm Lodge
Palm Lodge was built in 1912 for Colonel Henry Wallace Johnston, a hardware merchant from Lebanon, Kentucky. Col. Johnson planted an avocado grove and experimented with specimens of tropical fruits and flowers. One of his specialties was the . . . — Map (db m76497) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — 70000181 — Vizcaya
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m63817) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Palmetto Bay — F-215 — The Perrine Land Grant
(side 1) In 1838, the United States Congress granted a township of land in the southern extremity of Florida to noted horticulturist Dr. Henry Perrine and his associates. This land was to be used in experiments aimed at introducing foreign . . . — Map (db m73442) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
In 1774, William Bartram, famed Colonial Naturalist, visited Amelia Island and recorded the flora and fauna of the area. — Map (db m58405) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Mathew Robinson Marks
In Memory of Mathew Robinson Marks Mayor of Orlando 1889-1890 through whose vision the planting of our magnificent shade trees was inaugurated. A.D. 1925 — Map (db m6914) HM
Florida (Osceola County), Yeehaw Junction — F-369 — Desert Inn
The Desert Inn was founded as a trading post in the late 1880s. The present building dates before 1925 and served as a supply and recreational center for cattle drovers, lumber men and tourists during the era when much of Osceola County was still . . . — Map (db m3256) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Lumberton — The Tucker Cemetery
This oldest cemetery in Pasco County has existed since before 1855. Thomas and Sarah Tucker settled in the area about 1842 and in 1845 planted the county's first orange grove. Family history records an earlier generation of Tuckers lived in the . . . — Map (db m13677) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Safety Harbor — “The Baranoff Oak”
This tree is reportedly the oldest living Live Oak Tree in Pinellas County and is estimated to be between 300 to 500 years old. This grand oak tree is registered with The Live Oak Society of the Louisiana Garden Club Federation, Inc. — Map (db m3244) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Safety Harbor — Odet PhilippeBorn Lyon, France, 1787 — Died at this Site 1869
As the first European settler in Pinellas County he established St. Helena Plantation, now Philippe Park Philippe was the first to cultivate grapefruit in Florida and introduced cigar-making to Tampa His descendants populated this frontier. . . . — Map (db m13637) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Safety Harbor — Philippe Park
On this promontory Count Odet Philippe, a native of Lyon, France, and surgeon in the French Armed Forces under Napoleon Bonaparte settled in 1842, arriving at this point in his sailing vessel "The Ney." In this area he established St. Helena, his . . . — Map (db m13639) HM
Florida (Polk County), Mulberry — Historical Citrus Planting
Historical Citrus Planting March 14, 1959. Site of first experimental planting of citrus on reclaimed phosphate mining land. The project was originated and executed by William James Menear, land manager, Virginia-Carolina Chemical Corporation. — Map (db m4980) HM
Florida (Polk County), Mulberry — The Mulberry Tree
This tree replaces the original hundred year old tree that was the "mail drop" for the Bone Valley area before the city of Mulberry, "The Phospate Center of the World" was incorporated in 1901. — Map (db m4981) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
William Bartram, botanist, artist, naturalist, humanist, explored this area and headquartered near here in 1774. — Map (db m3248) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), Green Cove Springs — F-514 — William Bartram's Plantation
In 1766 on the banks of the St. Johns River at Little Florence Cove, William Bartram attempted to farm a 500-acre land grant. Bartram had spent much of the previous year exploring the new British Colony of East Florida with his father, John Bartram, . . . — Map (db m48683) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), Picolata — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
At Fort Picolata, Nov. 18, 1765, William Bartram and his father John saw Creek Indian Treaty signed and began their Florida plants survey. Erected by The Wildflower Garden Club of District IV In loving memory of Lorraine Ridge . . . — Map (db m42235) HM

973 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers were listed. Next 723
Paid Advertisement
Categories20th CenturyAbolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansAgricultureAir & SpaceAnimalsAntebellum South, USAnthropologyArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicAsian AmericansBridges & ViaductsCemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public WorkChurches, Etc.Civil RightsColonial EraCommunicationsDisastersEducationEntertainmentEnvironmentExplorationForts, CastlesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernmentHeroesHispanic AmericansHorticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceLabor UnionsLandmarksMan-Made FeaturesMilitaryNative AmericansNatural FeaturesNatural ResourcesNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesPaleontologyPatriots & PatriotismPeacePolitical SubdivisionsPoliticsRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesScience & MedicineSettlements & SettlersSportsWar of 1812War, 1st Iraq & Desert StormWar, 2nd IraqWar, AfghanistanWar, ColdWar, French and IndianWar, KoreanWar, Mexican-AmericanWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, Texas IndependenceWar, US CivilWar, US RevolutionaryWar, VietnamWar, World IWar, World IIWars, Non-USWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels
States or ProvincesAlabamaAlaskaAlbertaArizonaArkansasBritish ColumbiaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareDistrict of ColumbiaFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineManitobaMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew BrunswickNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNewfoundland and LabradorNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaNova ScotiaOhioOklahomaOntarioOregonPennsylvaniaPrince Edward IslandPuerto RicoQuebecRhode IslandSaskatchewanSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyomingYukon Territory
CountriesArgentinaAustraliaAustriaBahamasBelgiumBelizeBrazilCanadaChinaCosta RicaCzech RepublicDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEstoniaFinlandFranceGermanyGreeceGrenadaGuatemalaGuyanaHondurasHungaryIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaKiribatiLiechtensteinLuxembourgMalaysiaMexicoNetherlands AntillesNew ZealandNicaraguaPalestinian TerritoriesPhilippinesRussiaSaint LuciaScotland, UKSingaporeSouth AfricaSouth KoreaSwedenSwitzerlandThailandTurkeyTurks and Caicos IslandsU.S Virgin IslandsUkraineUnited KingdomUnited States of America