Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Fraternal or Sororal Organizations Historical Markers

1320 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1120
 
Noble Leslie DeVotie Marker (Reverse) image, Click for more information
April 4, 2007
Noble Leslie DeVotie Marker (Reverse)
Alabama (Baldwin County), Fort Morgan — Noble Leslie DeVotie
(Obverse): First Alabama soldier to lose life in Civil War. DeVotie graduated in 1856 from University of Alabama; Presbyterian Theological Seminary at Princeton in 1859. In 1856 at the University of Alabama, he was chief founder of Sigma . . . — Map (db m4219) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Florala — Downtown Square and Veterans Memorial Park
The name Florala came from combining the names of Florida and Alabama. Lake Jackson, located in Florala, is the state's largest natural lake. It is named for Andrew Jackson, who in 1818 camped on the lake with his soldiers while en route to . . . — Map (db m83457) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Lover’s Leap1827 - 1973
The poetic lines inscribed on the boulder below is a replica of those carved in 1827 by Thomas W. Farrar. Thomas W. Farrar was the Founder and first Grand Master of the Masonic Lodge in Alabama 1821-22-24. This historical site donated to the . . . — Map (db m28490) HM
Alabama (Lamar County), Vernon — Lamar County Confederate Memorial
1861 — 1865 Lamar County's tribute to the men who wore the Confederate gray and were faithful to the cause — Map (db m96850) WM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — The American Legion1919
Side A The American Legion, an organization of U.S. War Veterans was founded in Paris, France, March 15~17, 1919 by delegates from combat and service units of the American Expeditionary Force assembled in response to a call by a committee . . . — Map (db m35220) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Courtland — American Legion - Post 58
Side A On April 20, 1934, a temporary charter was issued for Gen. Joe Wheeler Post 58, Courtland, Alabama. On November 12, 1946, a permanent charter was granted and the name changed to Wiley Horton Post 58 in honor of the deceased son of . . . — Map (db m84303) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Sigma Alpha Epsilon
The Alpha Mu chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon was founded on June 15, 1878 at the Agricultural & Mechanical College of Alabama (now Auburn University). John E.D. Shipp came to Auburn as a student determined to organize a chapter at a time when . . . — Map (db m66726) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Confederate Circle
The Confederate Circle in Athens City Cemetery contains graves of over 50 soldiers killed in or around Athens during the WBTS, 8 unknown. Around 1898 ladies of the local UDC were working in the cemetery when bones, believed to be soldiers, were . . . — Map (db m94159) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Scenes From Hobbs & Market Streets
The First Baptist Church, organized in 1824, built a meeting house in 1826. A brick structure was erected in 1831 but was replaced with the above building in 1909. This church located on the north west corner of Clinton and Hobbs streets, was later . . . — Map (db m93883) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Helion Lodge No. 1
First Masonic Lodge in Alabama. Chartered Aug. 29, 1811, under the Masonic Jurisdiction of Kentucky. Original building on this site erected in 1820. — Map (db m37907) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Grant — Becker Hall
Constructed in 1937, the Florence H. Becker Recreation Hall was named in honor of Florence Hague Becker, President General of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution from 1935 to 1938. The vertically placed pine logs used in the . . . — Map (db m33312) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Mobile Bar AssociationAlabama's First Bar Association
On March 29, 1869, 32 attorneys organized the Mobile Bar Association, the first bar association in Alabama and the 14th oldest bar association in the entire nation. They filed the Association's Declaration of Incorporation on April 12, 1869, having . . . — Map (db m40666) HM
Alabama (Monroe County), Perdue Hill — Masonic Lodge No. 3
Oldest Building in Monroe County Erected in 1824 with funds from a public lottery. Lower floor served as a Baptist Church and a Court Room in which William B Travis, then a resident of Claiborne, practiced law. Visited by General LaFayette April . . . — Map (db m39203) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — George Washington1776 - 1976
Presented to the citizens of the State of Alabama honoring our brother George Washington our first Masonic President and in commemoration of 200 years of freedom under our constitutional form of government. — Map (db m36644) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Here Stood Mrs. Rosa ParksMother of the Civil Rights Movement
Commemorating the centennial Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated Here stood Mrs. Rosa Parks Mother of the Civil Rights Movement and honorary member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. where she boarded the Montgomery . . . — Map (db m85986) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Marshall J. Moore House
In 1900, Marshall Moore and his wife, Agnes V. McClain commissioned Joseph G. Nesbitt, Sr., an African-American contractor/builder, to construct this Victorian period cottage. The Moores, among the first graduates and early faculty members of . . . — Map (db m86130) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery Freemasonry
Side 1 Freemasonry is a fraternal order which promotes a spirit of brotherhood, devotion to family, and service to God and country. Local Masonic Lodges and affiliated organizations, such as the Eastern Star, Scottish and York Rite . . . — Map (db m71374) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Murphy House
Greek Revival Home built, 1851 by John H. Murphy, cotton broker and an incorporator and director of the Montgomery Water Works Company, chartered 1854. Union Army Provost Marshal's Headquarters 1865. Elks Club 1902-1967 Restored by Montgomery . . . — Map (db m36569) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pintlala — Pintlala Grange Hall / Grange Hall School
(Side 1) Pintlala Grange Hall The National Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry was organized in 1867 to provide economic, social and cultural improvements for farmers and their families. Pintlala's Grange Hall was erected circa . . . — Map (db m71433) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Dadeville — Fletcher Napoleon Farrington, Sr.1902 - 1968 — County Agent and Civic Leader
Fletcher Farrington, after graduating from the Alabama Polytechnic Institute (now Auburn University), came to Tallapoosa County as a county agent for the Agricultural Extension Service in 1932. Concluding that soil erosion was the local farmers . . . — Map (db m95105) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Alpha Delta PiOrganized May 15, 1851 — ETA Chapter March 21, 1907
Alpha Delta Pi, the first college secret sisterhood, was organized at Wesleyan Female College, Macon, Georgia, the first women's college to grant academic degrees. Originally identified as Adelpheans, the group had three thousand alumnae and sixty . . . — Map (db m28783) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Delta Kappa Epsilon
marker Front: Psi Chapter of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity first Greek letter fraternity at The University of Alabama. Organized by Louis J. DuPre, chapter installed June 20, 1847. First members initiated at Indian Queen Hotel by Charles . . . — Map (db m30676) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Kappa Delta
Zeta Chapter of Kappa Delta first national Greek letter sorority at the University of Alabama Chapter installed March 12, 1904. First members initiated in the Sigma Nu Hall by Katherine Lovejoy of Theta Chapter at Randolph-Macon Woman's College. . . . — Map (db m28782) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Oliver-Barnard HallCollege of Arts and Sciences
Erected: 1889 Reconstructed: 2000 Named for professor, scientist, and photographer F.A.P. Barnard who pioneered the study of astronomy at The University of Alabama and established its chapter of Phi Beta Kappa in 1851. On August 26, 2000, . . . — Map (db m29402) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Sigma Alpha Epsilon
Founded in Tuscaloosa on the campus of the University of Alabama on March 9, 1856. Its chapter designation, Alabama Mu, identifies it as the mother chapter of the national collegiate fraternity. Founding Members: Noble Leslie DeVotie • Nathan . . . — Map (db m29607) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Site Of Franklin Hall(The Mound)
Franklin Hall, an early University dormitory designed by Capt. William Nichols, was erected on this site in 1835. Was one of the buildings destroyed by the Union raid on April 4, 1865. After Civil War the remains of structure were shaped into . . . — Map (db m30677) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Little Round House
Constructed as a guard house for the Alabama Corps of Cadets during the early 1860's, the Little Round House provided shelter from inclement weather for cadets on sentry duty. Until 1865, it also housed the University Drum Corps, which was composed . . . — Map (db m25387) HM
Alabama (Washington County), St. Stephens — Old St. Stephens Masonic Lodge No. 9 (1821-1834)/St. Stephens Lodge No. 81
Old St. Stephens Masonic Lodge No. 9 (1821-1834) CHARTER AND EARLY MEMBERS WERE: Gov. Israel Pickens, Col. Silas Dinsmore, Thomas Eastin, R. Chamberlain, Thomas Malone, J.F. Ross, Daniel Coleman, John Womack, W.D. . . . — Map (db m70599) HM
Alaska (Skagway Borough), Skagway — Arctic Brotherhood Camp Skagway
Built in 1899 as headquarters for the Arctic Brotherhood Camp Skagway No. 1. The Brotherhood was established February 26, 1899 for the purpose of fraternal enjoyment and mutual aid. Over 30 camps were established throughout Alaska and the Yukon and . . . — Map (db m72784) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — Grand Army of the Republic MemorialTombstone, Arizona
Dedicated May 30, 1887 In Memory of the Comrades of Burnside Post G.A.R. — Map (db m33141) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Verkamp Building1899
John G. Verkamp came to Flagstaff in the 1890s. He first worked for the Babbitts (three of his sisters were married to Babbitt brothers), then succeeded in a number of businesses on his own, including lumber, livestock and merchandising. He is best . . . — Map (db m59505) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Pollock Building
Built of locally quarried volcanic rock in 1901, this edifice housed a bank and many businesses displaced by the 1901 fire. These included the local newspaper, telegraph office, and eventually Arnold's, a famous Route 66 eatery. In 1928, the Masonic . . . — Map (db m33382) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Fort Thomas — Melvin Jones International Memorial
Melvin Jones was born on January 13, 1879, near this site in Fort Thomas. He lived here for the first eight years of his life, during the Indian Wars here. In 1917, Melvin Jones formed Lions Clubs International with 20 delegates representing 27 . . . — Map (db m28051) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Safford — Womans Club of SaffordDedicated - 1937
National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m61512) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Glendale Woman's Club ClubhouseBuilt 1913
This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Listed July 7, 1989 In 1901, a small group of pioneer women organized the Self Culture Club of Glendale with the . . . — Map (db m30478) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Mesa Woman's Club House
On March 9, 1917, fifty-three women, inspired by Margaret Wheeler Ross, past president, 1914-1916, of the General Federation of Women's Clubs of Arizona, chartered the "Woman's Club of Mesa". Since 1901, Federated Women's Clubs, an international . . . — Map (db m27554) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Peoria — GFWC Peoria Woman's Club
In 1919, this building was constructed as a meeting place for the General Federation of Women's Clubs – Peoria Woman's Club. Originally located at the northwest corner of 83rd Avenue and Washington Street, the Clubhouse was restored and . . . — Map (db m30401) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Tempe — Tempe Hardware Building
Known as the Odd Fellows Hall when it was built in 1898, this building is the oldest surviving three story brick commercial building in Maricopa County. Its 2-story high ballroom, located on the second floor, has hosted several fraternal . . . — Map (db m49913) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Kingman — Elks Lodge No. 468Built 1903 to 1904 — modified 1913
This building has been placed on The National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Elks Lodge No.468 Built 1903 to 1904; modified 1913 The oldest lodge building in Kingman, this 1903-4 . . . — Map (db m29405) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Taylor — Daughters of the Utah PioneersJane Hatch Camp dedicated in 1932
Construction began in 1930 by Jane Hatch, Lizzie Willis and Emma Kartchner. The building was neglected for several years and in the early 1950's seven couples agreed to save the home, which became the clubhouse for the 20-30 Club. On November 2, . . . — Map (db m36695) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Knights of Pythias Building
With the exception of the Courthouse, the Knights of Pythias Building, also known as the Tilton Building, has always been the tallest building on the Plaza at 46 feet. It was dedicated on November 27, 1895, and is one of the few buildings that . . . — Map (db m21625) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — VFW Bucky O'Neill Post No. 541
Founded in Jan. 1921 and named after the famous Rough Rider William "Bucky" O'Neill, the post is the oldest active VFW post in Arizona. Born Feb. 2, 1860 in St. Louis, Missouri, his many accomplishments include being a Lawyer, Judge, Sheriff, Editor . . . — Map (db m68732) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Yuma — Masonic Temple – Lodge #171931 — National Register of Historic Places
Designed in the Modernistic/Art Deco style, it retains its original design and use as a lodge. Freemasonry in Yuma began in 1900. Lodge #17 was formed in November, 1901. Dedicated December 1999, by the City of Yuma for the preservation of our . . . — Map (db m29022) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Eureka Springs Historical MuseumEstablished 1971 in Calif House

This three-story limestone building with metal-clad roof enclosing the top story was constructed in 1889 by Samuel L. Calif. For fifty years it served as a residence, general merchandise store, and boarding house. About 1948 the building was . . . — Map (db m90699) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Spanish-American and World War Veterans Memorial
In memory of our deceased World War Veterans Western District of Carroll County In Memoriam United Spanish War Veterans 1898 — Map (db m59973) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Our Confederate Dead1861 - 1865

[Title is text] — Map (db m92351) WM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Purple Heart MemorialCombat Wounded Veterans
. . . — Map (db m92352) WM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — United Spanish War Veterans MemorialIn Memoriam

[Title is text] — Map (db m92357) WM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Veterans Memorial Carillon

AMVETS in conjunction with the Citizens of the area dedicated this carillon as a living memorial to Arkansas-Oklahoma Veterans who served their country honorably for the Cause of Freedom November 11, 1986 Fort Smith National . . . — Map (db m92342) WM

Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Archibald YellIn Memory Of
Born near Salisbury, North Carolina, Aug. 1797 Volunteer in Battle of New Orleans, 1815 Member of Tennessee Legislature, 1827 Grand Master of Masons in Tennessee, 1831 District Judge of Arkansas Territory, 1832-1836 Charter Member of . . . — Map (db m59891) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — Alameda Lodge No. 1015
Alameda Lodge No. 1015 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks was formed by 25 Alameda residents who were members of Oakland Lodge No. 171. The Lodge was instituted on March 17, 1906 and it received its charter from the Grand Lodge on July . . . — Map (db m79864) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — 908 — Berkeley City Club
The Berkeley City Club, organized in 1927, was one of the area’s earliest attempts by women to social, civic and cultural progress. The building, constructed in 1929, is one of the outstanding works of noted California architect Julia Morgan, whose . . . — Map (db m15885) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Elks Club BuildingWalter H. Ratcliff, Architect — 1913
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1991 Berkeley’s Elks Club, the 1002nd Chapter of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, was founded in 1905, just in time for members to assist those displaced by the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake. . . . — Map (db m54262) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Framåt Lodge #405Sanford G. Jackson, Architect 1927 — City of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1997
Berkeley’s large immigrant population in the late 19th and early 20th centuries included many natives of Sweden. The local chapter of the Swedish-American Vasa Order constructed this building as a lodge hall and cultural center. On November 8, 1927, . . . — Map (db m52386) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — I.D.E.S. Council Hayward #14Irmandade do Divino Espirito Santo — Brotherhood of the Divine Holy Spirit
A Portuguese-American fraternal benefit society receiving members of all nationalities established in the State of California in 1889 to assist widows and orphans. This local chapter, Council #14, was organized on April 23, 1898, by its founder and . . . — Map (db m94557) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — NSGW Hall - Eden Parlor No. 113Former Site
This is the former site of Eden Parlor No. 113 N.S.G.W. Hall 1890 to 1936 — Map (db m94223) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Live Oak Lodge U.D
This Monument marks the approximate location of a building in the loft of which Live Oak Lodge U.D. Free and Accepted Masons of Calif. was instituted on Aug. 19. 1854 That meeting was the beginning of Masonic activities in . . . — Map (db m71213) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Masonic Temple
On August 21, 1909, the cornerstone (containing the lists of the Grand Officers and past Masters of Eden Lodge, documents relating to the new temple, copies of local newspapers, old coins and a Bible that had been carried by John Hamilton through . . . — Map (db m54746) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Masonic Temple Building1910
The Masonic Temple Building was dedicated on April 15, 1910 and still serves as the home of Eden Lodge #113 of the Freemasons. The Eden Lodge was instituted in San Leandro in 1857, the first fraternal order established here. This three-story . . . — Map (db m54747) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Ione Parlor No. 33, N.S.G.W.
This building, built in the year of 1854, was originally a hardware store on the ground floor and a dance hall on the upper floor. Ione Parlor No. 33, N.S.G.W. bought the building in the year 1884 and has continuously owned it and met here . . . — Map (db m2380) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 2010-08 — Excelsior Parlor 31Native Sons of the Golden West
Excelsior Parlor #31 was organized near this site on June 28, 1884. The building was the site of See & Marshall’s Circus lot in 1851, the Fireman’s Hall from 1850 through 1862 and Mat Ryan’s Saloon until purchased by the Native Sons of the Golden . . . — Map (db m71556) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 1 — Masonic Hall & Court HouseNo. 1 — Historic Main (Water) Street -Jackson
Oldest Jackson building used as Court House after '62 fire. Long home of Masonic Lodge #65 F&AM. 1854 — Map (db m85625) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 34 — Pioneer Hall
The Order or Native Daughters of the Golden West was organized on these premises The site of the Pioneer Hall on September 1, 1886. This tablet is placed In memory of the founding of the order by Ursula Parlor No. 1, . . . — Map (db m28039) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 20 — Union Hotel & Odd Fellows Hall Lodge #36No. 20 — Historic Main Street -Jackson
Civil War political rallies staged here. Longtime site of Wells Fargo Agency. 1863, 1904 — Map (db m81787) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Wells Fargo & Co. Express and Banking OfficeErected 1855
Dedicated to the pioneers of California by the Kit Carson Mountain Men of Jackson, Amador County June 18, 1949 An estimated $100,000,000 in gold was handled by this office. Plaque provided by Wells Fargo Bank & Union Trust . . . — Map (db m27859) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Levaggi Opera House
The front building built in 1860. The opera house was built on back in 1892 by John and Michael Levaggi, early pioneers and stone masons from Italy. Bricks used were kilned east of Sutter Creek and hauled to the site by twelve mule team. Amapola . . . — Map (db m29814) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — Volcano Masonic Cave
In Memory of the Bryant Brothers Clemens E. Bryant, Thomas L. Bryant, Roy Bryant and Walter F. Bryant Whose surviving relatives deeded this property to Volcano Lodge No. 56 F. & A. M. on June 20, 1962. Our pioneer . . . — Map (db m15824) HM
California (Butte County), Forbestown — Forbestown Lodge No. 50 F.& A.M
St. Louis No. 86, Polar Star No. 90 Jefferson No. 97, Gibsonville No. 151 consolidate with Forbestown Lodge No. 50 F.& A.M. chartered May 3, 1854 The slab below relic of St. Louis Lodges, St. Louis, Sierra County, California . . . — Map (db m61684) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Oroville Masonic Temple
SESQUICENTENNIAL TESTAMENT On the 8th day of May In the year 2006 AL 6006 Oroville Lodge No. 103 F.&A.M. In the State of California Did celebrate 150 years In Oroville, California Dispensation: April 4, 1856 Chartered: May 8, . . . — Map (db m17781) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Site of First Oroville Bank
McWilliams & Tymeson 1855 Wells Fargo & Company Express Agents First Brick Bldg in Oroville Fraternal Order of Eagles No. 196 (Seal of the American Revolution Bicentennial 1776-1976) — Map (db m65906) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Independent Order of Odd Fellows Building1887
. . . — Map (db m19325) HM
California (Calaveras County), Copperopolis — Congregational Church
The church was purchased from J. M. Pike at a cost of 12,000 dollars and dedicated on June 23rd 1866 by the Rev. Mr. Beckwith of San Francisco. The first minister was the Rev. M. A. Starr; however, the church experienced a decline in membership due . . . — Map (db m56523) HM
California (Calaveras County), Copperopolis — Copperopolis Armory
Copperopolis Armory, built by public subscription in 1866 for 8,000 dollars, was used by the Union Guard for enlisting and training troops. In 1866 it was sold to the Copperopolis Armory Hall Association for 800 dollars in gold and was used for . . . — Map (db m13003) HM
California (Calaveras County), Milton — Milton Masonic Hall
Keystone Lodge No.161, F. & A. M, instituted in Copperopolis, Dec. 19, 1862, at the height of the copper mining boom. Moved 1881, to Milton, the terminal of the Stockton & Copperopolis Railroad, which, because of the collapse of copper mining, never . . . — Map (db m19758) HM
California (Calaveras County), Mokelumne Hill — Mokelumne Hill
Beneath this spot in 1851, Joe H. Zumwalt established the first chapter of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus. On his way West, Zumwalt discovered an amusing ritual in the newspaper office at Bowling Green, Mo. Arriving in Moke Hill . . . — Map (db m45976) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — E Clampus VitusECV Wall of Comparative Ovations
During the Gold Rush Days of California the organization known as E Clampus Vitas flourished throughout the gold diggings. It was sort of a parody of the solemn and mysterious fraternal orders then so popular in the states. Every member held an . . . — Map (db m31275) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Independent Order of Odd Fellows Hall
Built 1901, on land donated by Joseph Heinsdorff, Sr., for use by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The two-storied shiplap-sided structure was constructed with locally milled lumber, using large stones as foundation. In 1991, the stones were . . . — Map (db m32860) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Masonic Hall
Under dispensation Ophir Lodge No. 33 Free and Accepted Masons was permitted to meet at “early candle light” in private homes within a radius of five miles. The Lodge was instituted in January and chartered May 6th 1853. Original, . . . — Map (db m16055) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Native Sons of the Golden West
Chispa Parlor No. 139 was chartered April 10, 1889, dissolved April 25, 1896, and reorganized March 14, 1905. This site was first occupied circa 1860 by the Independent Order of Good Templars, a group dedicated to the prohibition of liquor and . . . — Map (db m33008) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Site of E.C.V. Saloon
Near this spot the “E.C.V. Saloon” stood in 1853. Believed to be the only E. Clampus Vitus (miners’ fun fraternal order) saloon officially recorded. — Map (db m32875) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — William Gordon HuffE Clampus Vitus Wall of Comparative Ovations
William Gordon Huff 1903 ~ 1993 Sublime Nobel Grand Patriarch Grand Clamp Artist Visionary • Artist • Sculpture Bill conceived, named, and created E Clampus Vitus Wall of Comparative Ovations as a memorial to portray early . . . — Map (db m31195) HM
California (Colusa County), Colusa — 2 — I.O.O.F. Building
I.O.O.F. Building Erected 1892 Colusa Heritage Marker 2 May 6, 1977 — Map (db m27648) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — F & AM - Antioch-Brentwood Lodge #175 Building
This plaque commemorates 140 continuous years of Masonry in Antioch and the 100th anniversary of this building. The building was constructed as the Belshaw Theater in 1905. It was purchased by the Antioch Masonic Lodge in 1923 and modified to serve . . . — Map (db m37579) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — The Woman's Club of Antioch
Eleven women founded the Woman's Club of Antioch in February, 1902. They pledged to "improve and beautify the town, to do any business which shall promote the educational, industrial, benevolent, social or political welfare of its members or the . . . — Map (db m93605) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Danville — The Grange and Fraternal Hall (1874)233 Front Street — Danville Heritage Resource No. 8
The Danville Grange was a farmers' association and the hub of the community in the late 1800's and early 1900's. The Grange was instrumental in bringing many improvements to the valley over the years, such as San Ramon Valley High School, a public . . . — Map (db m93671) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — Women's Westside Improvement Club
Established July 7, 1908, for the purpose of improving the quality of life in Point Richmond, the Women's Westside Improvement Club is responsible for the original Indian statue fountain, a reading room that became the Westside Branch Library, this . . . — Map (db m94711) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 172 — Masonic Temple1604 Mt. Diablo Blvd. — 1916
Walnut Creek Masonic Lodge - founded around 1873 - built its Masonic Temple in 1916. Previously, the group met on Main Street. The building was expanded in 1953. It closed as a Temple in 1984 and was remodeled for commercial use. — Map (db m93945) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 163 — Women's Club of Walnut Creek ClubhouseLincoln Avenue at Carmel Drive — 1937
Two blocks east is the clubhouse of the Women's Club - the town's first service club, founded in 1911. Among the Club's accomplishments, the group secured the Carnegie Library Foundation grant for the 1916 library. The Women's Club sold its . . . — Map (db m93811) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Odd Fellows Hall
Built in 1854 by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, this hall was also shared with religious organizations of the Coloma community. The I.O.O.F. was only one of the many fraternal lodges that were active during the 1850s in Coloma and in most . . . — Map (db m17143) HM
California (El Dorado County), Diamond Springs — Diamond Springs I.O.O.F. No. 09 Lodge Hall
The oldest fraternal edifice in continuous use on the West Coast. Built on this hillside, not on the main street as in the usual practice for the era. It avoided the ravages of fire which razed the town of Diamond Springs on several occasions. . . . — Map (db m19263) HM
California (El Dorado County), Diamond Springs — Odd Fellows Hall
Erected in 1852 by Diamond Springs Lodge No.9 I.O.O.F. Oldest building in constant use By the Odd Fellows in California Dedicated to the memory of the Pioneer Odd Fellows Of El Dorado County by Marguerite Parlor No.12 Native . . . — Map (db m19264) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado — Hiram No.43 Masonic Building
Hiram Lodge No.43: Free and Accepted Masons, was chartered in the town of Mud Springs, as it was ten called, May 16, 1854. The Lodge met in rented buildings until the completion of this brick edifice in 1862. On September 17, 1923 a fire . . . — Map (db m12396) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — 17 — Balsar House / I.O.O.F Hall
[Three small markers are mounted on the front of the building:] Marker 1: Balsar House A hotel built in 1850 by Madam Balsar Remodeled for an opera house in 1870. Restored by the Independent Order Odd Fellows and used as a . . . — Map (db m54812) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown - Pride of the Sierra / Growlersburg / E Clampus Vitus
Georgetown Pride of the Sierras Georgetown was founded in 1849 by George Phipps, a member of a party of sailors prospecting for gold, who first pitched his tent near the head of what is now known as Empire Canyon. George's town quickly . . . — Map (db m54773) HM
California (El Dorado County), Pilot Hill — 551 — California’s First Grange Hall
Pilot Hill Grange No.1, of 29 charter members: Master, F. D. Brown; Secretary, A. J. Bayley; was organized August 10, 1870. The Grange Hall, dedicated at this site November 23, 1880, was built by Alcander A. Bayley — Map (db m11607) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — History of Old Town Center
The Masonic Building was built by S.G. Beach and Company in the fall of 1893 for the Placerville Masonic Hall Association, using 85,000 first quality bricks shipped from Sacramento. It housed some of the finest legal talent in the county, attorneys . . . — Map (db m35590) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Morning Star #20 I.O.O.F Lodge Building
Morning Star Lodge #20 was instituted February 9, 1854. The Lodge met for several years on the second floor of a 48 x 24 foot hillside building near here. In 1859, the members erected a building on this site. On May 15th, 1910, a fire started in the . . . — Map (db m35518) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Swift Berry“Mr. Clamper”
Born Nebraska 1887. Educated Biltmore Forest School, North Carolina. Began career 1908 in California with U.S.F.S. Major U.S. Army A.E.F. 1917 – 1919 General Manager Michigan California Lumber Co. 1925 – 1949 California State . . . — Map (db m57974) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — The Druid Monument
The Druids of California Erected This Memorial to Frederick Sieg Who Instituted the Order in this State A. D. 1859 Presented to the City of Placerville Sept. 5, 1926 — Map (db m16460) HM
California (Fresno County), Coalinga — Cheney Bros. Building1906 – 1983 — Founders: Frank, Tom Walter and Jonathan Guy Cheney
In 1906, Coalinga was a boom town and there was a great need for blacksmithing and transporting. So the Cheney family decided to move to Coalinga from Cheney’s Grove, Illinois by way of Petaluma and Maricopa, Calif. The Cheney Bros. started with . . . — Map (db m63889) HM
California (Fresno County), Coalinga — Coalinga Woman’s ClubZenith Hall
January 1905, Mrs. Anria Kerr invited ten lay friends to meet at her home to form the “Coalinga Ladies Improvement Club.” Their goal was to “promote harmony and improve social and civic needs.” In 1907 they joined the General . . . — Map (db m64020) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — N.S.G.W. Hall
This historic building was erected in 1887 by L.T. Kinsey and sold to the Society of Humboldt County Pioneers in 1890. On June 15, 1897 it was purchased by Humboldt Parlor No. 14 N.S.G.W. — Map (db m71970) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — 2009-8 — "Poppa Joe's"
Erected in the early 1870s, this magnificent structure was a drug store. In 1877 it became known as the Alford Drug Store until 1886. In 1879, Wells Fargo and Co. established an express station in the Alford Drug Store and maintained it through . . . — Map (db m71959) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — 137-07 — "The Danish Hall"
Originally constructed as a warehouse in July of 1902; known as the A. Berding Warehouse and housed many businesses. In 1919 Hampton C. Blum acquired the warehouse. In January 1929, The Danish Hall Committee started considerations for pu(r)chase. . . . — Map (db m71939) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — Danish Hall
The original building was constructed in the late 1800’s as a warehouse for A. Berding, pioneer merchant. Remodeled in 1929, it became the meeting hall for the various Danish lodges. It also serves as the meeting hall of the Native Sons and . . . — Map (db m71942) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — 1 — Ferndale Masonic Hall
Dedicated March 19, 1891 Organized October 2?, 1868 with fifteen members Ferndale Lodge #193 F. & A.M. received its charter the following year. Meetings were held upstairs over the Dodge Store until 1870 when the first lodge hall was built on the . . . — Map (db m71931) HM
California (Imperial County), Holtville — Imperial Valley Swiss Club
From their arrival in Fall, 1901, Swiss and their "Americans of Swiss Descent" have contributed greatly to the ethnic diversity of this valley. Their Schwingfests since 1921 and this club since 1924 have celebrated both their ancestral traditions . . . — Map (db m98729) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — Lone Pine Film Museum
This Plaque Presented to The Beverly and Jim Rogers Lone Pine Film Museum to Honor Masons and Shriners. Dedicated to all Masons and Shriners who appeared in movies filmed in the Alabama Hills, Lone Pine and surrounding areas. Presented by Kerak . . . — Map (db m72578) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Fraternal Hall
To entertain men seeking their fortunes in mining boom towns, social clubs and fraternal organizations held meetings and offered other diversions in Kern County’s mining communities. The exhibits on display in this building contain . . . — Map (db m26006) HM
California (Lake County), Lower Lake — Clearlake Lodge #130 I.O.O.F.
In January of 1867 the Clearlake Lodge #30 I.O.O.F. was organized in Lower Lake. The hall was built in 1868. The Lodge originally has 7 members, D.M. Hanson being the first Noble Grand. — Map (db m42337) HM
California (Lake County), Upper Lake — The IOOF Hall
The International Order of Odd Fellows Lodge #241 established themselves in Upper Lake in 1876. The present structure was completed in 1898 at a cost for land and building of $3,109.02. This mutual aid society hosted numerous activities through the . . . — Map (db m55398) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Lassen Lodge No. 149 F.&A.M
Commemorating the centennial of Lassen Lodge No. 149 F.&A.M., March 21, 1961 and in memory of Isaac N. Roop, ardent Free Mason, founder of Susanville, first Governor of the provisional Territory of Nevada, civic leader and friend of Man, and John S. . . . — Map (db m87783) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Migration of Peter Lassen
“We do not know the exact date on which Peter Lassen arrived in America. Let us suppose that he landed in the early spring of 1831. Most reports say that Lassen arrived in Boston, Massachusetts. Also his passport had Boston written as the . . . — Map (db m31741) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Westwood Masonic Lodge
This building was built in 1925 by George Peltier and was funded by The Red River Logging Company. The building housed the Free and Accepted Masons and was known as Westwood Lodge #502 F.&A.M. It has been a gathering place of friends and families . . . — Map (db m66082) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 5 — American Legion Building
A portion of the original Spanish landgrant Rancho La Ballona The American Legion Post #46 clubhouse was dedicated on August 9, 1930. Contractor Don S. Ely erected the building on this site over the first swimming pool in the area, on land . . . — Map (db m49954) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Norwalk — American Legion Norwalk Post 359
Chartered 1929 Historical Landmark — Map (db m65828) HM
California (Mariposa County), Hornitos — MRP - 001 — Hornitos Masonic HallPoint of Historical Interest
This building was constructed C. 1855 of native schist rock. It was purchased in August 1873 by the Freemasons of Hornitos Lodge No. 98, and since early 1875, continue to meet here. The Lodge was originally chartered as Quartzburg Lodge No. 98 on . . . — Map (db m46900) HM
California (Mariposa County), Hornitos — NRHP 05000 — Hornitos Masonic Hall No. 98National Register of Historic Places
This restored Masonic Hall is recognized for the significant community involvement of its members from 1873 to 1930. The Freemasons owned stores and hotels, served as town and county officials, worked as miners and engineers and supported Hornitos . . . — Map (db m46899) HM
California (Mariposa County), Mariposa — Mariposa Independent Order Odd Fellows Hall
Built 1867 to replace original building. Used by Mariposa County fraternal organizations since then. — Map (db m46442) HM
California (Mendocino County), Mendocino — Mendocino Masonic HallSavings Bank of Mendocino County — Established 1903
Erik Albertson, first Worshipful Master of Mendocino Lodge No. 179, Free and Accepted Masons, undertook construction of this Masonic Hall in 1866. Albertson carved "Time and the Maiden," the statue which adorns the roof, out of a single virgin . . . — Map (db m96627) HM
California (Mendocino County), Ukiah — IOOF Lodge #174
This wonderful example of Italianate style was built in 1882 and expanded in 1906, adding more offices, a dining room, kitchen and bathrooms. The Ukiah chapter of IOOF was formed in 1870 and their building was the grandest structure of its . . . — Map (db m80696) HM
California (Mendocino County), Ukiah — Masonic Temple History
This 1924 Beau Art/classical style building is the second building on this site for the Masons. Their original 1872 wooden hall burned in 1923. No expense was spared to make this lodge the showcase of Ukiah. The lodge sported a blue Chinese . . . — Map (db m96480) HM
California (Mono County), Bodie — Return to Bodie
During the California gold rush, E Clampus Vitus was a fraternal order and benevolence society for miners. It was rumored to be one of the secret societies in the town of Bodie during its heyday. Today, ECV is dedicated to the preservation of . . . — Map (db m8493) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — Mono County Memorial HallAlta Lodge No. 333
Alta Lodge No. 333, Free and Accepted Masons was chartered on October 15. 1897. The original lodge hall was in the brick building at the corner of Hwy. 395 and Hayes Street. The Lodge moved to this location in 1955. An ever changing society . . . — Map (db m49958) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Grand Procrastination
This simple bronze plaque honoring the work of John Steinbeck was sculptured in 1938 by William Gordon Huff. It was dedicated that same year by noted Western historian Dr. Charles L. Camp with all the unwavering oratorical profundity which . . . — Map (db m54906) HM
California (Monterey County), Pacific Grove — J. H. King Memorial
Last member of Lucius Fairchild Post G.A.R. 179 — Map (db m41614) HM
California (Napa County), St. Helena — NSGW & Historic District
The Native Sons of the Golden West Hall has served for more than a century as a gathering place and social center of community activity within St. Helena. It is situated just outside the SW edge of the St. Helena Historic Commercial District, which . . . — Map (db m55661) HM
California (Napa County), St. Helena — Richie Block
A fine example of Victorian architecture, this building was erected in 1892 by M. G. Richie. For many years it has served the city’s business community. In 1893 the hall and banquet rooms upstairs were leased to Saint Helena Lodge No. 93 Free & . . . — Map (db m54543) HM
California (Nevada County), Grass Valley — Madison Lodge No. 23 F. & A.M.1852 [Logo] 2002 — Masonry in Grass Valley
Madison Lodge #23 was established under dispensation from the Grand Lodge of California on May 4th 1852. Its permanent charter was issued on May 5th 1853. Madison Lodge held its first two meetings at the old Columbus School on the present site of . . . — Map (db m48685) HM
California (Nevada County), Nevada City — Malakoff Diggins Clampicnic Area
This picnic area, sponsored by Wm. Bull Meek-Wm. Morris Steward Chapter Number 10, E Clampus Vitus, is for the enjoyment of all. The redwood lumber for the tables came from Nevada City's Christmas Tree, a Sequoiadendron Giganteum and continues to . . . — Map (db m857) HM
California (Nevada County), Nevada City — Masonry in the Gold County
The year was 1850 at a location not far from here. The first Masonic Lodge meeting was held under a Charter from state of Wisconsin. Lafayette Lodge #29 was born, the years following in 1851 & 1863 a major part of which was to be known as Nevada . . . — Map (db m40272) HM
California (Nevada County), Nevada City — North Pine & CommercialSite of Former Nevada City Elks Lodge
After constructing a second-story meeting hall above two existing 19th century commercial buildings, the Nevada City Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks #518 dedicated its first lodge at this location on June 14, 1913. The lodge hall and . . . — Map (db m40269) HM
California (Orange County), Buena Park — 43 — Buena Park Woman's Clubhouse
Since its establshment in a newly created Orange County (1889), the Buena Park Woman's Club has influenced the civic life of its community. The club helped establish a volunteer fire department in 1915, a library district in 1919, and the town's . . . — Map (db m50036) HM
California (Orange County), Huntington Beach — Scout CabinCity of Huntington Beach Historical Site
This rustic cabin was erected in 1924 by the Lions Club, local carpenters union and Edison Company as a center for scouting in Huntington Beach and has been in continuous use by Troop 1, Boy Scouts of America, ever since. The cabin was . . . — Map (db m59874) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — GPY 135-9 — Auburn Native Sons Hall
Rebuilt in 1860 after a fire, George Willment resumed his mercantile business on the lower floor of this new fireproof building. The second floor was added at this time which was owned and operated by the Eureka Lodge #16 F&AM. In 1871, Willment . . . — Map (db m67551) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — G. Willment General Store
Historical Landmark Site G. Willment General Store Second floor was Mason Lodge Built 1852 – Burned 1855 Rebuilt & Dedicated Dec.,27, 1860 — Map (db m44075) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Odd Fellows Hall, Auburn Lodge #7Point of Historical Interest
Instituted in 1852, the first Odd Fellows Lodge organized in Placer County, seventh in California. Meetings were held in several different locations until this building was erected in 1894. Bricks used in construction were made and fired on this . . . — Map (db m31842) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Old Masonic Hall Erected 1860
Occupied by Eureka Lodge No. 16 F.A.M. Much of the material and furnishings came to Auburn via Cape Horn S.A. This plaque is dedicated to the Pioneers of Auburn by Auburn Parlor No. 232 Native Daughters of the Golden West June 11, 1933 — Map (db m44071) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — The Auburn Masonic Hall
The Auburn Masonic Hall was completed in 1917. Since completion it has been home to Eureka Lodge No.16, F. & A. M. The building is clad in beautiful terra cotta manufactured by the Placer County firm of Gladdin McBean. It is the last remaining . . . — Map (db m31811) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Illinoistown Lodge No. 51
Free and Accepted Masons Chartered by Grand Lodge of California On May 6, 1854 at Illinoistown (about a half mile South of Colfax) A special Central Pacific train brought the Sacramento Coronet Band and fifty guests for the Dedication of this . . . — Map (db m45277) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — IOOF Hall
Independent Order of Odd Fellows Colfax Lodge No. 132 Instituted 18 April, 1867 This brick building acquired and used by IOOF since 26 August, 1889 — Map (db m45279) HM
California (Placer County), Lincoln — I O O F Building
Erected in 1864 By International Order of Odd Fellows Originally 24 feet (front) by 80 feet (along alley) Two stories high; outside stairway on alley side expanded east to present size in 1905, adding four windows and inside stairway . . . — Map (db m17876) HM
California (Placer County), Newcastle — Newcastle Portuguese Hall
This property Newcastle Portuguese Hall has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m684) HM
California (Placer County), Rocklin — The Finnish Temperance Hall
. . . — Map (db m23388) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Eagles Hall
Built in 1912, various businesses have occupied this building over the years, including Placer Savings, the Rainbow Club, Schmidt's Delicatessen and Dutra Liquors. Known as Gordon Hall, the upstairs became a popular gathering place used by . . . — Map (db m91386) HM
California (Plumas County), Beckwourth — Hope Lodge No. 234 F & AM
Originally built in 1875 and twice destroyed by fire, 1898 & 1909, this edifice continues a century of Masonic service to Sierra Valley. Dedicated in the spirit of brotherhood Sept. 6, 1975 by Las Plumas del Oro Chapter, E Clampus Vitus — Map (db m56654) HM
California (Plumas County), Greenville — Sincerity Lodge 132 F.&A.M.
This historic building was built in 1878 by John McBeth and D.D. Compton, merchants, for use as a warehouse. As such it played an important role when Greenville’s two foundries, flour mill, sarsaparilla works, brickyard, wagon shop, and sawmill . . . — Map (db m56648) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — Reilly’s Saloon
Originally Burrel-Buckley, barn lot circa 1860, Jumbo Merian’s Grocery & Gas Station, 1930-1945, purchased by Frank C. Reilly, operator from 1945-1965. Frank C. Reilly was the first Humbug of FCR 5978, E Clampus Vitus and one of the very few that . . . — Map (db m56323) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Forest StationersThe Huskinson Block — 1850 - 1870
Built in 1876, it is one of the first permanent structures in the Quincy Business District. Businesses of this site included Cohn Bros. Dry Goods, U.S. Post Office, I.O.O.F. Lodge, E.C.V. Hall, National Forest Supervisors office, Quincy Hardware and . . . — Map (db m56386) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Plumas Club
Built in 1914 as “Harvey’s Place” by Harvey Egbert. During Prohibition Ed Dory ran the Quincy Dairy Store & some slot machines here. Zola & Plumas “Plumie” Stokes bought the saloon from Egbert in 1947. In 1989 Plumie sold the . . . — Map (db m56529) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Plumas Lodge No. 60 F&AM
This historic Masonic Temple built in 1855 is the oldest building in Quincy. — Map (db m56747) HM
California (Sacramento County), Citrus Heights — Citrus Heights Community ClubEstablished 1928
This property was donated by Adolph and Catherine Van Maren to accommodate this one-room Sylvan School House constructed in 1862 and relocated to this site in 1927. This property was on the northeast side of the former Van Maren Ranch, which covered . . . — Map (db m46664) HM
California (Sacramento County), Elk Grove — Independent Order of Odd FellowsElk Grove
The first I.O.O.F. meeting was held on May 2, 1878. The first Rebekah meeting was held on May 2, 1888. On July 7, 1892 The original building burned and was rebuilt with the I.O.O.F taking ownership. A rededication of the hall was held on March . . . — Map (db m18031) HM
California (Sacramento County), Folsom — Folsom History Museum
Site of stables at Western terminus of Pony Express (1860-61), later used by blacksmith shops. Adjacent after 1892 fire, was built two - story Burke's Hall, a community center. Meeting place of Granite Parlor No.83, NSGW (1886-1958). Dedicated . . . — Map (db m77653) HM
California (Sacramento County), Rancho Cordova — American River Grange #172
Organized March 1874 Dedicated October 1882 Presented by Native Daughters of the Golden West San Juan Parol #315 Rededicated 5-15-98 — Map (db m2033) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Charles Duncombe, M.D. (1787 – 1862)
Dr. Duncombe was the first physician on record to come to Sacramento. A Native of Stanford, Connecticut, he moved to Upper Canada (now Ontario) to become a landowner and member of Parliament. Ontario’s first medical school, the Talbot Dyspensary at . . . — Map (db m14105) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — General Albert M. Winn
. . . — Map (db m13886) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — General Albert Maver Winn
. . . — Map (db m12455) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — John Bigler(1806 – 1871) — California’s Third Governor
Born in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, January 8, 1806, John Bigler was the eldest of what was said to be “a numerous family of children.” As a young man, he was apprenticed to the printing trade and became one of the youngest editors . . . — Map (db m13069) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Old Masonic Cemetery
Plot Size: 67” by 68’ Established 1859 In purchasing this site from the Board of Trustees, Sacramento City Cemetery, July 30, 1859, the Order of Free and Accepted Masons became the first fraternal organization in Sacramento to provide a . . . — Map (db m14075) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Old Odd Fellows PlotThe Independent Order of Odd Fellows
They were an order that inscribed upon their banners, “Visit the sick, relieve the distressed, and bury the dead.” “To the benevolent – If there is any of that commodity called charity in this community, we earnestly call . . . — Map (db m12489) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Pioneer Hall
Constructed in 1868. Headquarters of Sacramento Society of California Pioneers Founded 1854 Sacramento Pioneer Foundation Incorporated 1966 Plaque dedicated April 19, 1967 by Sacramento Historic Landmarks Commission Rededicated June 30, . . . — Map (db m68630) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Rededication of El Centro Mexicano PlaqueSeptember 16, 2011
First panel: The Comité Centro Mexicano commemorates the same respect and sense of equality dictated by this historical plaque. With great honor we re-dedicate it in honor of all humanity on this date. From 1948 to 1975, El Centro . . . — Map (db m91735) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — GPY 135-7 — Sacramento Pioneers Society
The Pioneer Hall was built in 1868 as headquarters of the Sacramento Society of California Pioneers, which was organized February 6, 1853. It has been owned and cared for since its construction by the California Pioneer Association, descendants of . . . — Map (db m68629) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Sacramento Turn Verein
In 1854 Sacramento was prospering notably in spite of the floods, fires and epidemics that had besieged her. German-born citizens and men of German ancestry decided to organize a “Turn Verein”, as was the custom in their homeland. They . . . — Map (db m12527) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — The G.A.R. Memorial Plot
Sacramento City CemeteryThe GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC Memorial Plot was originally located in the New Helvetia Cemetery at the corner of 31st and J Streets, a plot donated to the Sumner Post No.3 by the owner and proprietor John Wesley Reeves. . . . — Map (db m12411) HM
California (Sacramento County), Walnut Grove — Charles “Chuck” TisonOctober 8, 1930 – September 24, 2002
Charles “Chuck” Tison and his wife Betty moved to Walnut Grove in 1956 where they raised four children who all attended local schools. In 1969 the couple formed the Ti-Gas Company, a LP Gas sales & service distributor which is still a . . . — Map (db m37402) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Ontario — WCTU Fountain
This fountain was built by the Women's Christian Temperance Union and dedicated to this City of Ontario on July 4th 1908, to provide the town with "a drinking fountain where only the pure, sparkling water can be had at any time by the . . . — Map (db m37513) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — F.L. Blanc Warehouse1906
Built by F.L.Blanc, Parson, Carpenter, Lumberman to store apple box "shook" for drying. When box making failed to pay, he turned it into his first store selling lumber, paint & "A small stock of luxuries." It was used as a rental in the 30's and . . . — Map (db m84775) HM
California (San Diego County), Poway — 1 — Templars HallBuilt 1886
Meeting place for the International Order of Good Templars Served as Poway's first high school A place for social and community events Once was a thrift store and tack and feed store — Map (db m74090) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 77 — I.O.O.F. Building, 1882
A joint effort of the Masonic and Odd Fellows Lodges, this Classical Revival-style building required nearly a decade to complete due to a lack of money and materials. A parade kicked off the long awaited laying of the cornerstone, into which was . . . — Map (db m51620) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — "The Family"
“The Family”, one of San Francisco’s oldest and most distinctive social clubs, was founded on this site on April, 1902 This plaque dedicated on the Club’s centennial — Map (db m58397) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — B'nai BrithUptown Tenderloin Lost Landmarks
Founded 1855 B'nai Brith was one of the most vibrant Jewish institutions in San Francisco. It operated seven lodges by 1900. Regional headquarters on this site once housed an extensive library especially strong in Judaica. The Building was . . . — Map (db m91511) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Native Sons Building
Originally dedicated Sept. 15, 1912 Rededicated on the 100th anniversary Sept. 16, 2012 in memory of those who had the foresight to construct this building. Directors 1912 James D. Phelan • Chas. M. Belshaw • Lewis F. Byington • Louis . . . — Map (db m71900) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Farmington — Farmington Odd Fellows Lodge #296
Built in 1881, the building was bought by the newly instituted Lodge on July 11, 1882. The upstairs has served continuously as a meeting hall since then. Dedicated on October 8, 1994 Tuleburgh Chapter #69, E Clampus Vitus — Map (db m16623) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lodi — Woman's Club of Lodi
On May 20, 1988 this unique 1923 Roman style building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In celebration we honor those women of vision who in 1906 started this club, first known as the Lodi Improvement Club. Their efforts . . . — Map (db m91787) HM
California (San Mateo County), Pescadero — Methodist Episcopal Church of Pescadero
This Property Has Been Placed On The NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES By The United States Department Of The Interior National Register of Historic Places Statement of Significance: Building/structure dates: 1890 initial . . . — Map (db m12539) HM
California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Alhambra Theater
The finest playhouse between San Francisco and San Jose opened here January 20, 1896. In 1921, the building was purchased by Redwood City Masonic Lodge which was instituted August 28, 1863. — Map (db m62625) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Eagles Hall
Local Scottish Rite Masons built their hall on this site in 1909. Designed by George Page, it was a simple rectangular structure with a severe Greek Revival façade. When the Masons moved into the new Scottish Rite Temple in 1925, the vacated . . . — Map (db m30261) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Gordon House
Welcome to the Gordon House Home of the Rotary Club of San Jose Hanford Lennox Gordon was born in 1846 and over his lifetime held a variety of positions as attorney, and officer for the Union Army during the Civil War, a farmer, and . . . — Map (db m52126) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Scottish Rite Temple
Built as the Scottish Rite Temple in 1925-25, this distinguished structure was designed by architect Carl Werner. The entry portico, with its six Ionic columns and unusual Egyptian ornamentation, lends the buildings special grandeur. In 1981, the . . . — Map (db m30285) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Santa Clara — 250 — Old Sites of Mission Santa Clara de Assisand Old Spanish Bridge
. . . — Map (db m3401) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Santa Clara — S.E.S.(Sociedade do Espirito Santo)
The Portuguese men and women of Santa Clara founded this building, commonly known as the S.E.S. Hall, in 1896. This fraternal organization was created as a means of communication and socialization. It gave the Portuguese community a place to meet, . . . — Map (db m54026) HM
California (Shasta County), Anderson — Masonic Lodge
The Masonic Lodge was constructed of locally made brick on this site prior to 1866. Mount Shasta Lodge No. 281 F. & A.M. occupied the building from 1886 to 1895, then again from 1934 until they sold the building to the City of Anderson in 2001. . . . — Map (db m70344) HM
California (Shasta County), French Gulch — French Gulch Lodge
The French Gulch Lodge No. 75, Independent Order of Odd Fellows was established on May 5, 1858. Erastrus Dickinson was first Noble Grand on June 24, 1864. All records of the lodge as well as the original charter were destroyed by fire. The new lodge . . . — Map (db m70328) HM
California (Shasta County), French Gulch — I.O.O.F. Lodge #75Cemetery — French Gulch, CA. Founded, May 16, 1868
Officers of the International Order of Odd Fellows Lodge, chartered 1858, commissioned the construction of a private and public cemetery in August, 1866. The public section opened May 16, 1868, with the lodge members interred thereafter as their . . . — Map (db m89137) HM
California (Shasta County), Shasta — Western Star Lodge No. 2
Oldest Chartered Masonic Lodge in California Free and Accepted Masons Originally chartered by the most worshipful Grand Lodge of Missouri, A F and A M May 10th AL5848 (1848) Dedicated in due and ancient form this 10th day of May AL5998 . . . — Map (db m1137) HM
California (Shasta County), Shasta — Western Star Lodge No. 2Occupied 1854
The oldest Masonic Lodge in the State of California. Chartered by the most worshipful Grand lodge of Missouri on the 10th of May, 1848. This building was dedicated on Saint John’s day, the 27th of December, 1854 and has been in continuous use by . . . — Map (db m70429) HM
California (Sierra County), Downieville — Masonic Building
The Mountain Shade Lodge No. 18 F. & A.M. received it’s charter on May 5, 1852. Prior to that date they operated under a dispensation. The Masons met originally in the Craycroft Building. Then erected their own building on this site in 1852. The . . . — Map (db m44242) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Hornbook — Founding of the American Legion
This plaque commemorates the 60th anniversary of the American Legion. The national charter was signed in Hornbook on Sept. 16, 1919 by President Woodrow Wilson while his train stopped enroute from Portland to San Francisco. — Map (db m88022) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Yreka — Clampers Meeting Hall
On or near this site between 1854 and 1856 the members of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus had a meeting hall. During the day it was used as a court room and clerks office. — Map (db m70186) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Yreka — Hugo Miller Building217 W. Miner St.
The Arcade Saloon once stood on this site in 1856 where Lotta Crabtree began her singing and dancing profession, and John C. Heenan, ‘The Benicia Boy’ started his fighting career. The building was completely destroyed by the Great Fire of 1871, but . . . — Map (db m70131) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Yreka — I.O.O.F. Building(International Order of Odd Fellows) — 107, 117 W. Miner St.
I.O.O.F. Yreka Lodge #19 was instituted in 1853 and has been at this location since that date. Multiple transactions in ownership and lot size and shape occurred before two, one-story brick buildings were erected on this site. These buildings . . . — Map (db m70129) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Yreka — Masonic Hall Building300-304 W. Miner St.
Originally known as the Wetzel Lot, a brick building stood here in 1880 which housed the fire department – Engine & Hose No. 1. A new building with a massive edifice was erected on the site in 1926 by four Masonic orders who sold shares at $50 . . . — Map (db m70081) HM
California (Solano County), Benicia — Antonio M. De LaGuerra 1825 – ‘81
This tablet dedicated to his memory. He was State Senator 1852-1853; Mayor of Santa Barbara, Captain of California Volunteers serving in Arizona during the Civil War 1861-1865. He was a loyal member of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E. Clampus . . . — Map (db m58330) HM
California (Solano County), Benicia — 174 — First Masonic Hall Built in California
The first Masonic hall built in California was begun in the summer of 1850, occupied by the lodge October 14, 1850, and formally dedicated December 27, 1850. This building served as the Masonic Temple for Benicia Lodge No. 5 until 1888, when the new . . . — Map (db m16317) HM
California (Solano County), Vacaville — The Odd Fellows HallVacaville
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.,) Vacaville Lodge No. 83, re-built this structure of brick and cast-iron columns in 1889. The previous two building burned in 1877 and 1884. The earthquake of 1892 seriously damaged the front of the . . . — Map (db m17636) HM
California (Solano County), Vacaville — Walker Opera House
Kentucky native Sidney Clay Walker crossed the plains in 1850 and in 1872 settled in the Vaca Valley where he eventually owned 1,200 acres. He was an organizer of the Vacaville Water and Light Company in the 1890's and in 1896 built this brick . . . — Map (db m17661) HM
California (Solano County), Vacaville — William Gordon HuffIn Expression of Gratitude
In recognition for his continuous dedication to the preservation of western history through his world – renowned artistic endeavors: for expressing his love of the Order through the sculptured likeness of the men who have labored to preserve . . . — Map (db m54590) HM
California (Sonoma County), Sonoma — Ray Adobe1847 - 1849
Built by 1846 Missouri emigrants John and Harriet Ray in 1847. After his success in the Rose Bar Gold Fields, the large adobe portion was added in 1849 by Indian labor to the wooden house on the east end. It was leased as headquarters for officers . . . — Map (db m15253) HM

1320 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1120
Paid Advertisement