Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Colonial Era Historical Markers

5606 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 5406
 
The Pride of Seven Flags Marker image, Click for more information
April 4, 2007
The Pride of Seven Flags Marker
Alabama (Baldwin County), Fort Morgan — The Pride of Seven Flags
(East Face): Tribute dedicated to the memory of the soldiers who gave their lives in the defense of our country here at Fort Morgan. Here lies the pride of seven flags entombed in our ancestor’s worth, who heard the thunder of the fray . . . — Map (db m4649) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Stockton — Bartram’s Trail
William Bartram, America’s first native born artist - naturalist, passed through Baldwin County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. As the appointed botanist of Britain’s King . . . — Map (db m81855) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Stockton — Major Robert Farmar Plantation
Here on the banks of the Tensaw River -- named for the Tensa Indian tribe whose principal village was located at this place -- Major Robert Farmar developed a plantation c. 1772. Farmar was one of the most prominent and controversial Alabamians of . . . — Map (db m66380) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), LaFayette — Muscogee Indians
. . . — Map (db m71639) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Lanett — 141-10 — Ocfuskooche Tallauhassee
A flourishing, ancient town of the Muscogee Indians known as Ocfuskooche Tallahassee (Old Town) stood on this site. English traders from Charles Town visited it about 1685. A trail known as "Old Horse Path" led from this village to the Tallapoosa. . . . — Map (db m36315) HM
Alabama (Conecuh County), Midway — Old Federal Road
For a few months between 1811—1818 the nationally infamous highwayman, Joseph Thompson Hare, operated with his gang along the Federal Road. They headquartered at Turk's Cave near Brooklyn in Conecuh County. In his confession he referred to the . . . — Map (db m81282) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — British West Florida, 1764-83
Colony’s north boundary crossed present-day Alabama - Mississippi at this point on 32° 28’ by edict of British king. Colony extended south to Gulf. France had ceded area in 1763. Spain invaded, seized area in 1780. Britain . . . — Map (db m37644) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Ecor Bienville1702-1743 — The first recorded name of Selma
. . . — Map (db m37658) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Wetumpka — Bartram's Trail
William Bartram, America’s first native born artist-naturalist, passed through Elmore County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. In 1776 the appointed botanist of Britain’s King . . . — Map (db m69431) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Wetumpka — Here Stood Fort Toulouse
Here stood Fort Toulouse A defense against the Indians Built by Bienville 1714 The Alabama Society of Colonial Dames preserves the memory of faithful service 1912 — Map (db m69567) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Wetumpka — William Bartram Arboretum1739 - 1823
William Bartram, the first native-born American artist-naturalist, of Philadelphia, visited this site on Christmas Day, 1776. This arboretum commerates (sic) the man, his visit to Fort Toulouse, and his travels through the southeastern . . . — Map (db m83726) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Shorterville — Franklin - First Beachhead into East Alabama
The frontier village of Franklin was established here by Colonel Robert Irwin in 1814 on the site of the Indian town of Cheeska Talofa. It was the first colonial village in east Alabama. Fort Gaines, Georgia, was constructed in 1816 to protect the . . . — Map (db m71844) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Hale - Joseph HomeBuilt in 1910
William M. and Evan Hale built this home on the 400 acres purchased by Gardner Hale in 1862. The Hales descended from two signers of the Mayflower compact, 1620. Purchased in 1993 by Carlo and Dianne Joseph, it was placed on the Alabama Register of . . . — Map (db m28487) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Oakville — Cherokee Council House Museum
The Oakville Indian Mounds Museum is based on a seven sided Cherokee council house. This type of council house was used during the cooler months and an open sided rectangular pavilion during warmer weather. The descriptions used for the museum's . . . — Map (db m84314) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Smiths Station — Line 32° 28´ North Latitude
Northern Boundary of: British W. Florida 1764-83 Spanish W. Florida 1783-95 Mississippi Territory: 1798-1804 Washington County 1800-12 Clarke County 1812-15 Southern Boundary of: British Illinois 1764-83 United States . . . — Map (db m73532) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee — Bartram's Trail
William Bartram, America's first native born artist - naturalist, passed through Macon County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. As the appointed botanist of Britain's King George . . . — Map (db m99676) HM
Alabama (Marengo County), Demopolis — St. Leo’s Catholic Church
Catholicism was first introduced to this region in 1540 by the priests who accompanied Hernando DeSoto. Napoleonic exiles of the Vine and Olive Colony held religious services and attempted to establish a Catholic mission in Demopolis in 1817. . . . — Map (db m37994) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Creola — Site of Old Mobile
(English) Site of Old Mobile Fort Louis de la Louisiane Founded 1702 by Pierre Le Moyne d’Iberville Under orders of Louis XIV First Capital of French Louisiana 1702-1711 (French) Site de Vieux Mobile Fort . . . — Map (db m70588) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Le Moyne — Ellicott's StoneErected April 9th, 1799
Marks 1st Southern Boundary of the United States and the Mississippi Territory created in 1798 -----900 feet East----- Stone marked 31° North Latitude separating the U.S. & Spanish Florida. This line of demarcation ran from the . . . — Map (db m70589) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — How Big was the Original Fort Condé?
Since colonial rulers were unable to attract large numbers of settlers to Mobile, the Port City’s population remained small and never grew above 500. Because the majority of Mobile’s population was military personnel, the city was built around the . . . — Map (db m87207) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Le Marquis de Lafayette visited Mobile
On this site stood the home of Mayor Samuel H. Garrow, where the Marquis de Lafayette was entertained on his visit to Mobile, April 7, 1825. Lafayette, French officer, statesman, and hero of the American Revolution, visited the United States as . . . — Map (db m86420) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Old Church Street Cemetery - 1819←—«
Established 1819 by city of Mobile for yellow fever victims. Buried in raised tombs are Spanish and French citizens of early Mobile, and many pioneer Americans. — Map (db m86409) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville
A la gloire de Pierre Le Moyne D'Iberville, le heros dela baie d'Hudson, de Terre-Neuve et de Nevis, qui fonda en 1702 Mobile
premiere ville de la Louisiane Française. ———— Ne a Montréal en . . . — Map (db m86490) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Revolutionary War at MobileSiege of Fort Charlotte (Condé) 1780
Spain, America's ally, declared war on Great Britain in June 1779. Bernardo de Galvez, governor of Spanish Louisiana at New Orleans, led the attack against the British along the lower Mississippi River and Gulf Coast. In February 1780, Galvez laid . . . — Map (db m86355) HM
Alabama (Monroe County), Perdue Hill — Piache
Piache, an Indian town visited by DeSoto in 1540 was near here. DeLuna made a settlement here, Nanipacna in 1560. Fort Claiborne was erected on the south bluff, in 1813. LaFayette was entertained here, 1825. . . . — Map (db m47639) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Encanchata
Here at the Indian village of Encanchata, future site of Montgomery, Col. John Tate, last British agent to the Muscogee Nation, recruited and drilled Creek warriors in 1780 to relieve Tories in Augusta, Ga. being besieged by American patriots. — Map (db m71373) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Struggle For Colonial Empire
Here on May 24, 1703, Alabama Indians ambushed the first French explorers from Mobile, killing three and wounding two critically. The Indians were armed and were used as pawns by British agents from Carolina in the European struggle for dominion . . . — Map (db m67999) HM
Alabama (Sumter County), York — Line 32° 28´ North Latitude
Northern Boundary of: British W. Florida 1764-83 Spanish W. Florida 1783-95 Mississippi Territory: 1798-1804 Washington County 1800-12 Clarke County 1812-15 Southern Boundary of: British Illinois 1764-83 United States . . . — Map (db m89725) HM
Alabama (Talladega County), Lincoln — Lincoln, Alabama
(Side A) Historical records indicate that DeSoto and his men, as they traveled the South in search of gold, were the first white men to see the Lincoln area. With the ceding of the Creek Indian Territory in 1837, the population of the . . . — Map (db m33282) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Jacksons Gap — Fort Okfuskee←— 6 mi. west —«
Built in 1735 by British from Carolina in futile attempt to gain trade of the Creek Indians from the French, located at Fort Toulouse, 40 mi. S. Okfuskee was the largest town in Creek Confederacy. — Map (db m22232) HM
Arkansas (Saline County), Benton — De Soto Trail
By here the De Soto expedition marched September 7, 1541. — Map (db m96588) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Liberty Pole
In 1767, when our yet to be united nation felt the stirrings of revolution, freedom-loving colonists carved and erected the first “Liberty Pole”. It served as a rallying point for those who opposed the British imposed Stamp Act. . . . — Map (db m65843) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Buque Escuela Juan Sebastian de Elcano
Commemorating the visit of the officers and men Buque Escuela Juan Sebastian De Elcano in homage to their comrades-at-arms who at this place raised and defended the flag of Spain - 1797 to 1821 Dedicado en pax y amistad San Diego, . . . — Map (db m81237) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Old Town San DiegoTimeline
See individual photos for text Map (db m85826) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Chutchui and Sitlintac
For the last 5,000 years this particular site served as a vantage point to the southeast, overlooking an ancient salt water bay fed by fresh water streams. Standing on this bluff three to four hundred years ago, looking southeast, you would have . . . — Map (db m93013) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Atascadero — Your American Heritage Monument
The purpose of this monument is to forever stand as a tribute to our nation's Founding Fathers who created the two most important documents that laid the foundation of our country: the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution. This . . . — Map (db m67581) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Lompoc — Lompoc's Mission Vieja
Mission La Concepcion Purisima de Maria Santisima (Mission of the Immaculate Conception of most Holy Mary) was founded by Father Presidente Fermn de Lasuen on Dec. 8, 1787 at what is now Locust Avenue and F Street. It was the eleventh of 21 . . . — Map (db m70318) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — 469 — Branciforte
These school grounds were the center of Villa de Branciforte founded in 1797 by Governor Diego de Borica of California on orders from Spain through Viceroy Branciforte in Mexico. The settlement existed as political entity until American occupancy of . . . — Map (db m2347) HM
Colorado (Alamosa County), Alamosa — ... Los Caminos Antiguos Scenic & Historic Byway
You have entered the land of the Rio Bravo del Norte, the northernmost outpost of sixteenth century Spain. To the Spanish people, the San Luis Valley was a wild and unexploited place known only to the Native people. Amidst the beauty and . . . — Map (db m71878) HM
Colorado (Alamosa County), Alamosa — On Sacred Ground
Majestic Mount Blanca that stands bgefore you is surrounded by history and legend from the first people who inhabited this valley. Many Native American groups believe that this valley is the source of life where humans and spirit enter and leave . . . — Map (db m71875) HM
Colorado (Alamosa County), Alamosa — Welcome "Caminante" to ...
¡Bienvenidos! Caminantes! Come! Take a walk with us. We know an old song, El Caminante, which tells of taking a long walk along the ancient roads. Like the first prehistoric inhabitants, you too are a ‘caminante’, or one who walks upon this . . . — Map (db m71877) HM
Colorado (La Plata County), Hesperus — Dominguez - Escalante Expedition
On August 10, 1776, there passed by here the expedition of Fathers Francisco Atanasio Dominguez and Silvestre Velez de Escalante with eight companions. They were seeking a route to link the long established missions of New Mexico with Monterey, the . . . — Map (db m71613) HM
Colorado (La Plata County), Hesperus — Dominguez and Escalante
In 1776, Franciscan Fathers, Francisco Atanasio Dominguez and Silvestre Velez de Excalante and eight companions, explored what is now southern Colorado, Utah, and northern Arizona, as men of peace. Between August and December, 1776, . . . — Map (db m71615) HM
Colorado (Pueblo County), Vineland — 161 — San Carlos de los Jupes
By 1700 Comanches moved south from the northern Rockies onto the plains of southern Colorado and northern New Mexico. They raided the Apaches and Spanish settlements from the late 1600s until 1779 when the Governor of New Mexico, Don Juan Bautista . . . — Map (db m64775) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bridgeport — Bridgeport
Bridgeport "The Park City" The area that is now Bridgeport was settled in the mid-17th century by farmers from the older towns of Stratford and Fairfield. Centers of settlement were Stratfield, present North Avenue; Pembroke, now Old Mill Green; . . . — Map (db m91834) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Brookfield — Brookfield
Brookfield Parish of Newbury The land which comprises the geographical area of Brookfield belonged to the towns of Danbury, Newtown, and New Milford. In 1754 the Parish of Newbury was incorporated by decree of the General Assembly with boundaries . . . — Map (db m35170) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Brookfield — First Settlement 1710
First Settlement 1710 Newbury Parish Incorporated 1754 Town of Brookfield Incorporated 1788 Pioneer Families Dunning • Peck • Hawley • Smith • Northrop • Ruggles • Dibble • Merwin • Baldwin • Blackmanstarr • Wheeler Presented By E.A. . . . — Map (db m70962) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Cos Cob — Second Oldest Cemetery in Greenwich
The Second Oldest Cemetery in Greenwich Laid out by the Selectmen 1723 – 24 Historic Society Town of Greenwich 1982 — Map (db m38745) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Danbury
Marker Front: Eight families came from Norwalk in 1685 to settle this area which the Indians called Pahquioque. They built their first homes a half mile south of here and made this green their common. The General Court in October 1687 . . . — Map (db m22836) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Oldest Cemetery 1684
Oldest Cemetery 1684 Danbury Erected by Mary Wooster Chapter N.S.D.A.R. — Map (db m23050) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 1 — The Settling of Danbury– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut
In the spring of the year 1685, the first permanent settlement of Danbury was made. The eight determined families of Samuel Benedict, James Benedict, Thomas Barnum, Judah Gregory, Thomas Taylor, John Hoyt, Francis Bushnell and James Beebe settled . . . — Map (db m71240) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Darien — Darien
Darien Originally part of Stamford, this area became Middlesex Parish in 1737. It was incorporated as the Town of Darien in 1820. Settlement had begun about 1700 when the first roads were cut “in the woods.” In 1703 a school district . . . — Map (db m80136) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Darien — Ring’s End Landing
Ring’s End Landing Earlier Called Clock’s Landing Trading Center Of Middlesex Parish Part of Stamford from 1641 until Incrporated as Town of Darien May 20, 1826 Presented by Kiwanis Club of Darien As part of 150th . . . — Map (db m80305) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), East Norwalk — A Calf Pasture Primer
Norwalk’s first European settlers grazed their cattle on this property – hence the name “Calf Pasture.” Among these earliest arrivals was Matthew Marvin, who moved to Norwalk in 1651 (the year the town was founded). His son, . . . — Map (db m53465) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), East Norwalk — Roger Ludlow
This stone, erected December, 1895, commemorates the purchase from the aboriginal inhabitants, made February 26, 1640-1, by Roger Ludlow, Deputy-Governor of the Colony of Connecticut, framer of its first Code of Laws, and Founder of Norwalk, of . . . — Map (db m53440) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Easton — Easton
[ front ] Easton North Fairfield, a part of the town of Fairfield, was purchased from the Aspetuck Indians in 1670 for thirty pounds and an amount of trucking cloth. In 1762 the Connecticut General Assembly established the parish of . . . — Map (db m30939) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Andrew Roland House
Built By Andrew Roland And His Wife Elizabeth Daughter of Governor Fitch 1760 Their Son Saw the British Land And Gave the Alarm — Map (db m65124) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Andrew Ward Memorial
In memory of Andrew Ward Born in England 1597 One of the founders of Wethersfield and Stamford ——— An honored citizen of Fairfield Conn. where he died in 1659 ——— Member of a Commission . . . — Map (db m27172) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Burr Homestead
Home Of Thaddeus And Eunice Dennie Burr Here Dorothy Quincy and John Hancock President Of The Continental Congress Were Married in 1775 Burned By British in 1779 Rebuilt in 1790 — Map (db m27371) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — David Ogden House
. . . — Map (db m27419) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Dr. Hosea Hurlburt House
Home Of Dr. Hosea Hurlburt 1753 Surgeon in Connecticut Continental Line — Map (db m27565) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Fairfield
Marker front: In 1639 Roger Ludlow and five companions, after serving in the Pequot War, purchased from the Indians a rich and abundant expanse of land which they called by the Indian name "Uncowaye." Shortly thereafter the name "Fairfield" . . . — Map (db m27176) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Fairfield Boulder
This boulder commemorates the settlement of Fairfield by Roger Ludlow in 1639 and the burning of the Town by the British July 8, 1779. From the founding of the Town the religious, military and civic life of the people has centered . . . — Map (db m27227) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — George Hull Home Lot
Site Of Original Home Lot Of George Hull 1590 – 1659 Farmer, Trader Judge, Surveyor And Legislator — Map (db m27373) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Moorlandsc. 1836
Former site of the Buckley Tavern, c.1750 — Map (db m27157) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Nathan Bulkley House
Built 1750 By Nathan Bulkley Pre-Revolutionary Spared By British When Town Was Burned — Map (db m27153) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Pequot Swamp Fountain
. . . — Map (db m27377) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Reverend John Jones Memorial
In memory of Revd John Jones AB   MA The Revd John Jones was born in Southampton England in 1595 and was a graduate of Queens College Cambridge A Puritan divine of the Church of England he was the first pastor of the . . . — Map (db m27174) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Roger Ludlow
. . . — Map (db m27141) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Site of "Verna"
Site of "Verna" Home of Timothy Dwight Chaplain in Continental Army Pastor of Greenfield Founder of Academy Poet of "Greenfield Hill" President of Yale 1795 - 1815 — Map (db m27421) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Site of Old Tavern of Greenfield
Site of Old Tavern Of Greenfield 1792 – 1812 At the Sign of The Black Horse Here Rufus Putnam, Tallyrand, Don Juadenes, Rufus King, Joel Barlow and Tapping Reeve Were Guests — Map (db m27563) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Site of Trinity Church
Site Of Trinity Church 1790 – 1844 Rev. Philo Shelton Rector For Forty Years First To Be Ordained By First American Bishop Samuel Seabury — Map (db m27376) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Thomas Sherwood Memorial
In memory of Thomas Sherwood 1586 – 1655 Puritan – Pioneer – Ancestor A founder of New England A first settler of Fairfield Deputy to the General Court Committeeman Soldier of the Pequot War and his wives . . . — Map (db m27173) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Greenwich — Founders and Proprietors Monument1640 - 1935
In memory of the courageous men who founded the first settlement of the Town of Greenwich in the Connecticut Colony July 18-1640 Everardus Bogardus • John Bowers • Robert Feaks • Jeffre Ferris • Angell Husted • Robert Husted • . . . — Map (db m18669) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Greenwich — Old Greenwich Yacht Club
On July 18, 1640, Daniel Patrick and Robert Feaks landed on these shores in the name of the New Haven Colony to start a new settlement, later called Greenwich. This neck of land is called Elizabeth’s Neck after Mrs. Feaks. The anchor above this . . . — Map (db m2048) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Monroe — Monroe
[ front ] Monroe On May 23, 1823 the General Assembly granted the incorporation of this town and named it in honor of the then President, James Monroe. The town’s roots, however, are much deeper as it was an offspring of the mother-town . . . — Map (db m26096) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), New Canaan — New Canaan
This region was established in 1731 as Canaan Parish, a separate ecclesiastical society of the Congregational Churches of Norwalk and Stamford. Incorporated as a town in 1801. New Canaan encompassed the area of Canaan Parish with additional land . . . — Map (db m46878) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), New Fairfield — New Fairfield
Front In the year 1724 twelve men from Fairfield, Connecticut , came to this area to purchase land from the Indians who then inhabited it. They negotiated with Chief Squantz of the Schaghticoke tribe, who lived near the pond in this . . . — Map (db m23060) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Newtown — Newtown
This area, then known as Quanneapague, was purchased from the Pohtatuck Indians in 1705. Settled from Stratford and incorporated in 1711, Newtown was a stronghold of Tory settlement during the early Revolutionary War. French General Rochambeau and . . . — Map (db m21235) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Newtown — Newtown Meeting House
. . . — Map (db m26813) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — St. Paul’s Historic Graveyard
This historic graveyard is one of the oldest in Norwalk. It predates the Revolutionary War and is the resting place of several patriots of the American Revolution. It is situated on the original grant of land given to the professors of the Church . . . — Map (db m53461) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — John Read, Gentleman
Home site of “Lonetown Manor” where John Read, Gentleman after whom the town is named settled in 1711 Title to the original 500 acres was secured by colony grants confirmed in 1714 by an Indian deed from Chief . . . — Map (db m26870) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — Redding
Originally part of Fairfield and unclaimed land, Redding was settled about 1711, made a parish in 1729, and incorporated in 1767. It was named for John Read, gentleman, lawyer, early landowner, and spokesman for the settlers. One of his land . . . — Map (db m26814) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — Ensign James Benedict House
c. 1730 Ensign James Benedict Cobbler's Shop and Home — Map (db m32243) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — Old Hundred
Old Hundred 1783 This Structure Was Originally The Store of Lts. Joshua King And James Dole, Later Used As A Resi- dence Known As "Old Hundred." — Map (db m30464) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 13 — Out of the Ashes …Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets
The Fire District in Ridgefield was organized in 1896 following the devastating fire of 1895. Ex-Governor Phineas Lounsbury was an early benefactor of the Department and the new engine company took his name. The firehouse is also the site of . . . — Map (db m32050) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 28 — Ridgebury – George Washington Slept HereRidgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets
Ridgebury, "The New Patent," was one of the last land purchases made by the Proprietors. Tradition says that the First Congregational Church in Ridgebury had its beginnings in the "New Patent Meeting House" as early as 1738. In 1768 the . . . — Map (db m32052) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 24 — Ridgefield's Colonial PlansRidgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets
The First Recorded Plan for settlement was in 1697 when a group of Congregationalists primarily from Norwalk petitioned "to purchase of the Indians a certain tract of land lying about 14 miles northward of the town of Norwalk to settle a . . . — Map (db m32048) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 6 — Smith Tavern – A Colonial Meeting PlaceRidgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets
The Smith Tavern stood on the site of the present library. Ebenezer Smith arrived from Milford in 1709 and was assigned Lot # 26. He opened a small tavern in his home. By 1797 a new building was erected on the site by Amos Smith, who ran a . . . — Map (db m24806) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — The Gilbert HouseCirca 1790
Built by Benjamin Stebbins for his daughter Sarah and her husband Amos Baker, a Revolutionary War Hero, the first surgeon in Ridgefield and the originator of the famous Baker Apple. — Map (db m23602) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Shelton — Fort Hill
Fort Hill On This Point Of Land The Pootatuck Indians Built A Fort In 1673 To Prevent The White Man From Coming Up The Ousatonic River — Map (db m28322) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Shelton — Shelton
[ front ] Shelton 1639 – Stratford area settled, with present-day Shelton as the northern part. 1717 – Northern settlers established Ripton parish. 1789 – Ripton separated from Stratford and became the town . . . — Map (db m25614) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Sherman — Sherman
Originally part of New Fairfield, which was purchased from the Indians in 1729, the area then known as the Upper Seven Miles was separately incorporated as the Town of Sherman in 1802. The town was named for Roger Sherman who, as a young man, had . . . — Map (db m23070) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — First Congregational Church
1776   1976 First Congregational Church A crude, square, wooden structure surrounded by a stockade was erected near this site in 1641-2. It was the first meeting house of the Church of Christ. Later the First Congregational Church. Four members . . . — Map (db m38752) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — St. John's Episcopal Church
1776   1976 St. John's Episcopal Church In 1774, St John's, the first Episcopal Church in this area, was built here on land granted by the town. Struck by lightning that same year, the original building was repaired and endured for a hundred . . . — Map (db m38767) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — The Settlement of Stamford in 1641
This tablet has been placed by Stamford Chapter National Society Daughters of the American Revolution to commemorate The Settlement of Stamford in 1641 During that year, twenty nine men and their families came from Wethersfield to this place. . . . — Map (db m38609) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — "Mac’s Harbor"
"Mac’s Harbor” Traditional Landing Place of Stratford’s First Settlers In the spring of 1639 under leadership of the Rev. Adam Blakeman On the right, at the inner end of the harbor stood the First Meeting House and burial ground, and . . . — Map (db m48426) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Academy Hill Historic District
Academy Hill Historic District Established April 14, 1988 First known as Watch House Hill, where the first settlers manned a blockhouse and a palisade to guard the town from threats of Dutch and Indian attack. Renamed Meeting House . . . — Map (db m25814) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Boothe Homestead
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior May 1, 1985 This Estate Owned by the Boothe Family For Many Generations Was Willed To the Town of Stratford by David Beach . . . — Map (db m25907) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Boothe Homestead
This 1820’s home was built over the original foundation of the 1683 house and has been altered four times since then. David and Stephen Boothe’s renovations of 1913 added stained glass windows, four safes in the walls, and several . . . — Map (db m25911) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Captain David Judson House
. . . — Map (db m25764) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Captain John Carpenter
In Memory Of Captain John Carpenter Born in London, England, 1628 Settled In Stratford, Connecticut Before 1646 He commanded the Jamaica Fusiliers In the Defense of Fort James, New York, When the Dutch Fleet Of William of Orange . . . — Map (db m25766) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Home of William Samuel Johnson
Home of William Samuel Johnson One of the Framers Of the Constitution — Map (db m25899) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Old Congregational Burying Ground
[Left Plaque] In honor of the men and women who planted in the wilderness the early homes of Stratford, who fought bravely and suffered patiently in the War of the American Revolution, and who left to their descendents a . . . — Map (db m26099) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Ye Olde King’s HighwayOldest Mail Route In America
. . . — Map (db m25818) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Trumbull — Jonathan Trumbull
Jonathan Trumbull 1710 – 1785 Revolutionary Patriot Statesman Merchant Governor of Connecticut 1769 – 1784 “The Constitution State” “The Nutmeg State” “The Provisions State” The . . . — Map (db m26305) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Trumbull — Trumbull
The northwest farmers of Stratford formed the Village of Unity in October, 1725. They united in 1744 with the Long Hill parish of the Stratfield section of Stratford to become the Society of North Stratford. The Society controlled its own religious . . . — Map (db m88049) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Weston — Weston
[ front ] Weston Originally the Nor'field parish of old Fairfield (1639) to the south, present Weston was divided into long lots circa 1670, commencing our agricultural development. By 1757 there were enough families to become a separate . . . — Map (db m30800) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — Disbrow TavernJennings Trail
. . . — Map (db m30789) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — Jesup GreenJennings Trail
Jennings Trail Jesup Green Here stood the William H. Jessup House Later owned by William Taylor. On the river the Jessups built wharves and warehouses in the late 18th century where grain was stored awaiting export by sail. The . . . — Map (db m30645) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — Wheeler House
Wheeler House Orig Date 1795 Remodeled 1860's Westport Historical Society [ lower medallion ] The National Register Of Historic Places Recorded Property — Map (db m31203) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Wilton — Captain Clapp Raymond
. . . — Map (db m30643) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Wilton — Wilton
[ front ] Wilton Although this region was settled in 1651 as part of Norwalk, the first dwelling house here was built in 1706. The village of Wilton with parish privileges was granted by the general Assembly on May 12, 1726. The Town of . . . — Map (db m32256) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Avon — Avon
Avon This area, formerly Northington or the North Parish of Farmington, was settled in 1645non land that had belonged to the Tunxis Indians. It prospered as a farming community and, in 1830, after the construction and opening of the Farmington . . . — Map (db m33019) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Avon — Charter Oak descendant
State Tree of Connecticut White Oak Constitutional Convention July 1, 1965 John deKoven Alsop Delegate — Map (db m94515) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Berlin — Berlin
Berlin This land, granted to settlers in 1661 and 1668 by the General Court of Connecticut, was also purchased from the local Mattabesett Indian tribe. Founders of the community include Sergeant Richard Beckley, who came north on the trail from New . . . — Map (db m46041) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bloomfield — Bloomfield
Bloomfield In 1736 fifty-one inhabitants petitioned for parish privileges in what is now Bloomfield. They called the parish Wintonbury, using parts of the names of the three towns they came from Windsor, Farmingtonand Simsbury. It remained . . . — Map (db m97354) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bristol — Bristol
[ front ] Bristol Bristol was originally a part of Farmington. In 1663 an easterly portion called "Poland" was granted to Thomas Barnes and three others. The area which later became Bristol was allotted in 1721 to Farmington settlers. In . . . — Map (db m33237) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bristol — Come Ye To The Waters
Come Ye To The Waters Site Of 1749 – Old Mill – 1921 In Memoriam Ephraim Downs And Franklin Downs — Map (db m33625) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bristol — New Cambridge (now Bristol)
New Cambridge (now Bristol) Was Settled 1727 – 8 Since Early Days The Federal Hill Green Has Been Used As A Training Ground For Soldiers And A Playground For Children This Boulder Was Placed By Katherine Gaylord Chapter . . . — Map (db m34240) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Burlington — Burlington
[ front ] Burlington The original inhabitants of the part of Farmington known as West Woods were Tunxis Indians. Early settlement by white man was scattered. The first house of record, noted in an estate inventory of 1725, was that of . . . — Map (db m33174) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Canton — Canton
Canton Settlement of the area later called Canton, originally part of Simsbury, began in 1737 with the erection of the Richard Case II home on East Hill. The earliest homes were constructed along “Cherry’s” brook. The settlers’ name for . . . — Map (db m87925) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Collinsville — Charter Oak Offspring
Offspring of Connecticut Original Charter Oak Troop 77 Collinsville Boy Scouts of America April 25, 1964 — Map (db m92430) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), East Granby — East Granby
East Granby This area, first settled in 1664, was one of four Congregational parishes in Simsbury. The Turkey Hills Ecclesiastical Society in 1786 became a section of Granby, and in 1858 was incorporated as the Town of East Granby. An unusual . . . — Map (db m97408) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), East Hartford — East Hartford
East Hartford This part of the lands once inhabited by the Podunk Indians saw its first permanent colonists in 1655, when Thomas Hooker and his followers came from Cambridge, Massachusetts, to found Hartford. The east side of the Connecticut River . . . — Map (db m74248) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), East Hartford — Historic Center Cemetery
Historic Center Cemetery Authorized 1709 “Center Cemetery is one of Connecticut’s most interesting and important 18th century burial grounds, and is one of the most striking examples extant of the mixing of Connecticut River Valley . . . — Map (db m74928) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Farmington — Farmington
[ front ] Farmington On January 16, 1640 the Connecticut General Court empowered a committee to "view those parts by Vnxus Sepus wch may be suitable" for settlement. Soon afterward a small group of families traveled nine miles westward . . . — Map (db m33066) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Farmington — Farmington
Farmington Laid Out 1640 As Tunxis Plantation A Trading Center Of Frontier Area — Map (db m34239) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Farmington — The Legend of Will Warren’s Den
In the middle 1800s, it is believed, the cave was the home of Farmington’s mystery man, Will Warren. He was a poor farmhand with no property of his own. He refused to attend the village church on Sundays and spent his free time with the few Native . . . — Map (db m92260) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Glastonbury — First Meeting House
The First Meeting House Stood Near This Spot In 1692 Timothy Stevens Pastor Connecticut Tercentenary 1635     1935 — Map (db m98861) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Glastonbury — Glastonbury
Glastonbury Formerly part of Wethersfield, the town was named for Glastonbury in England. Its thirty four original farms, running from the River three miles east “into the wilderness,” were the first officially surveyed by Connecticut . . . — Map (db m98863) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Glastonbury — Kimberly Tract
Kimberly Tract This land is part of the original grant east of the great river made to John Robbins of Wethersfield in 1640. The original lot of 132 acres – 22 rods wide – extended three miles from the river into the hills. With Eleazar . . . — Map (db m98902) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Glastonbury — Rev. Timothy Stevens Parsonage
. . . — Map (db m98865) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Glastonbury — Site of Second Meeting House
Site of Second Meeting House First Church of Christ Congregational 1735 – 1837 News of the battles of Lexington and Concord reached here while Rev. John Eells was preaching and was announced from the pulpit April 28, 1775 . . . — Map (db m98901) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Granby — Granby
Granby Settled as the Salmon Brook section of Simsbury early in the 18th century, and established as a separate ecclesiastical society in 1736, Granby became a separate town in 1786. From the beginning, farming was the main endeavor of the . . . — Map (db m97450) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Abel Buel
Abel Buel 1742 – 1825 Engraver, Counterfeiter Coined the 1786 Fugio Cent And the Connecticut Cooper, Had a shop on this site — Map (db m52555) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Adriaen Block
Adriaen Block A short distance from where you are standing, in 1614 Adriaen Block, captain of the ship Restless sails up a river from the Atlantic Ocean which native peoples of the region have named "Quinnehtukqut", meaning the Great . . . — Map (db m53151) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Adventurers
In Memory of the Courageous Adventurers Who Inspired and Directed by Thomas Hooker Journeyed Through the Wilderness from Newtown Cambridge) In the Massachusetts Bay to Suckiaug (Hartford) – October 1635 Mathew Allyn • John Barnard . . . — Map (db m52432) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Captain Joseph Wadsworth
Captain Joseph Wadsworth Where You Are Standing On October 31, 1687 Came Sir Edmund Andros to the meeting house built on this site, sent by the British Crown to revoke Connecticut's Charter and establish the Dominion of New England. . . . — Map (db m53150) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Center Church
Center Church Organized 1632 Founded Hartford in 1636 First Minister Thomas Hooker Served 1633-1647 — Map (db m52439) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Charter Oak Monument
Near This Spot Stood The Charter Oak Memorable in the History of the Colony of Connecticut As The Hiding Place Of The Charter October 31, 1687 The Tree Fell August 21, 1856 [ back ] 1905 This Monument Erected by . . . — Map (db m52339) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — George Wyllys
[ south side ] George Wyllys Born 1590 in Fenny Compton Co Warwick England Came to Hartford 1638 Deputy Governor of Connecticut 1641 And Governor 1642. Died March 9, 1645 Bridget Young his wife died at Fenny Compton March 1629 . . . — Map (db m43771) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Hartford
Hartford Hartford was named in 1637 after the English town of Hertford. The Indian name was Suckiaug. The first colonial settlement, called House of Good Hope, was made by the Dutch in 1633. The Reverend Thomas Hooker arrived overland from Newtown . . . — Map (db m43708) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — In Memory of the First Settlers of Hartford
In Memory of the First Settlers of Hartford Jeremy Adams • Matthew Allyn • Francis Andrews • William Andrews • John Arnold • Andrew Bacon • John Barnard • Thomas Barnes • Robert Bartlett • John Baysey • Thomas Beale • Nathaniel Bearding • Mary . . . — Map (db m83119) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — John Haynes
John Haynes 1594 – 1654 Of Copford Hall. Essex England. Third Governor of Massachusetts. A founder of this commonwealth & its first Governor. A lover of religious liberty. A man trusted and honored. Near this place he was buried & by . . . — Map (db m44068) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Latin SchoolFree School — Hartford Grammar School
On this site, from 1869 until 1963, stood the Hartford Public High School, the second oldest secondary school in the United States. Founded in 1638 as a Latin Grammar School. It became, in 1847, the Hartford Public English and Classical High School. . . . — Map (db m28374) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Rev. Samuel Stone1602 – 1663
Rev. Samuel Stone 1602 – 1663 First Church Teacher and 2nd Pastor Co-Founded Hartford with Thomas Hooker Born in Hertford England — Map (db m43742) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Sacred to the MemoryAfrican Americans
Sacred to the Memory of the Three Hundred or more African Americans Free People, Slaves, and five Black Governors Who rest in Unmarked Graves in Hartford's Ancient Burying Ground 1640 - 1810 [ back ] School children in . . . — Map (db m43803) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Scion of the Charter Oak
Scion of the Charter Oak Planted 19 October 1871 by First Company Governor's Foot Guard White Oak (Quercus atba L) In the earliest days the great oak served both as a council tree and agricultural guide for Native Americans. The annual spring . . . — Map (db m64924) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — The Fundamental Orders of Connecticut
In 1636 The Church in Newtown, Massachusetts Thomas Hooker, Minister was transplanted to this locality, called Meeting House Yard, Old State House Square City Hall Square. Near this site on May 31, 1638. Thomas Hooker preached his . . . — Map (db m52695) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — The Safe Arrival
In June 1636, about one hundred members of Thomas Hooker's congregation arrived safely in this vicinity. With one hundred and sixty cattle, they had followed old Indian trails from the Massachusetts Bay Colony to the Connecticut River to build a . . . — Map (db m52557) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Thomas Hooker
Thomas Hooker 1586 – 1647 A leader of the founders in this commonwealth. A preacher of persuasive power. A statesman who based all civil authority on the free consent of the people. This tablet is placed near the site of his burial by The . . . — Map (db m44070) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Thomas Hooker
Thomas Hooker 1586 – 1647 Founder of Hartford Pastor – Statesman [ east side ] Leading his people through the wilderness, he founded Hartford in June 1636. On this site he preached the sermon which inspired the . . . — Map (db m52917) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartland — Hartland
[ front ] Proprietors from Hartford, those whose names appeared on the tax lists of 1720, were originally given the western land grants called Hart(ford)land, now known as the Town of Hartland. The first permanent settler in this area was . . . — Map (db m29853) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Manchester — Manchester
Manchester Originally the Five Miles bought by Hartford from the Indians, 1682. First settlement, about 1673. Chartered by General Assembly as Orford Parish, 1772. Incorporated as tow pi Manchester 1823. An early center of small industry, its . . . — Map (db m98739) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Marlborough — Marlborough
Marlborough The colonial General Assembly in 1747 designated this area an ecclesiastical society and named it Marlborough. In 1803 the Connecticut General Assembly incorporated Marlborough as a "distinct town” deriving its lands from . . . — Map (db m98957) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Newington — Newington, Connecticut
Newington, Connecticut 1636 – Newington valley used by Wethersfield settlers as a source for pipe staves, building materials and pasture lands. Pipestave Swamp, Cow Plain and West Farms were early names for the area. 1671 – Land . . . — Map (db m46065) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Rocky Hill — Rocky Hill
Rocky Hill This area was first settled in 1650 as part of Wethersfield and became known as Rocky Hill because of the ridge that rises in the northeast. In 1722 the village became Stepney Parish of Wethersfield but attained separate town status as . . . — Map (db m46181) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Simsbury — First Meeting House In Simsbury
Site Of The First Meeting House In Simsbury 1683 – 1739 Built at a cost of £ 33 according to an indenture between Thomas Barber and The Town This site was chosen by lot at a solemn mmting of May 24th 1683 thus ending a controversy . . . — Map (db m88060) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Simsbury — Simsbury
Simsbury (Massaco Plantation) Manufactory for tar, pitch, and turpentine established here in 1642. Destroyed by fire of Indian origin in 1647. Local tribal lands were deeded as reparation. Named Simsbury in 1670 and granted town privileges by the . . . — Map (db m87927) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Southington — Southington
[ front ] Southington To the fertile valley south of Farmington came Samuel Woodruff in 1698 to hunt and fish. Shortly thereafter Woodruff established a homesite, and with his settlement came other families from surrounding areas. The . . . — Map (db m33757) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Suffield — Suffield
Suffield In 1670 through a grant to John Pynchon, Suffield, formerly Southfield, originated as a township of Massachusetts because of a surveying error. Mindwell Old, the first child, was born in 1674, the year the town was incorporated. The town . . . — Map (db m99675) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), West Hartford — Goodman Green
Goodman Green In 1747 this oblong of land was given by Timothy Goodman to the West Hartford Parish of the Congregational Church for use as a parade ground of the local militia company. Still owned by the parish, it is maintained by the town. For . . . — Map (db m53156) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), West Hartford — Meeting House Corner
Meeting House Corner This park is the site of the first three meeting houses of the First Church of Christ, Congregational, organized in 1713. The parish of the west Division (West Hartford), the fourth in Hartford, was established in 1711. The . . . — Map (db m53158) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), West Hartford — Old Center Cemetery
Old Center Cemetery The land for this cemetery, the oldest official burying ground in West Hartford was acquired in 1719 by the Town of Hartford for the benefit of its West Division Parish (West Hartford). It remained the principal place of burial . . . — Map (db m97554) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), West Hartford — Old North Cemetery
Old North Cemetery This graveyard was established in 1790, when Thomas Merrell of the West Division Parish (West Hartford) sold three quarters of an acre to the Town of Hartford. From time to time there were additions, the last in 1852. West . . . — Map (db m97552) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), West Hartford — West Hartford
West Hartford In 1672-1677 Hartford created the West Division by sub-dividing a tract bounded by Quaker Lane, Mountain Road, and the towns of Bloomfield and Newington. Later this was enlarged by lands from Hartford and Farmington. Our first . . . — Map (db m53370) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Wethersfield — Nathaniel Foote
Nathaniel Foote The Settler Born In England 1593 Died In Wethersfield 1644 Erected By The Foote Family Association Of America On The Original Home Lot September 7, 1908 — Map (db m46180) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Wethersfield — Wethersfield
Wethersfield First Settled 1634 As a Trading Post By John Oldham And Associates — Map (db m46099) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Wethersfield — Wethersfield Settlers Memorial
To The Memory Of The Adventurers From Watertown, Massachusetts Who Settled Wethersfield In 1634 John Oldham • Robert Seeley • John Strickland • Andrew Ward • John Clarke • Leonard Chester • Nathaniel Foote • Abraham Finch • Robert Rose • . . . — Map (db m46179) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Windsor — Bissell's Ferry
This marks the road to Bissell’s Ferry, established by the General Court of Connecticut in 1641. Operated by the Bissell family for nearly one hundred years. Later leased to various townsmen and continuously operated until 1917. The original . . . — Map (db m65727) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Windsor — Founders Of Windsor
To the Founders of Windsor and The First Congrgational Church In Connecticut Which Came to America In the Mary and John With Its Pastor – John Warham May 30, 1635 Settled in Dorchester, Massachusetts And Migrated To Windsor . . . — Map (db m99589) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Windsor — Major John Mason
Major John Mason Born 1600 in England Immigrated to New England in 1630 A Founder of Windsor, Old Saybrook and Norwich Magistrate and Chief Military Officer of the Connecticut Colony Deputy Governor and Acting Governor A Patentee of the . . . — Map (db m99588) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Windsor — Old Fort Marker1633 - 1933
On the brow of the hill overlooking the meadow stood the Old Stone Fort or Stoughton House. It was in two portions, one stone, probably the older, and one wood. At the north end was a door of heavy oak timbers studded with iron spikes, which bore . . . — Map (db m28364) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Windsor — Windsor Pilgrims
Original homestead of John and Thomas Hoskins, father and son, who arrived on the Mary and John from England in 1630. They were members of the Dorcester party that settled Windsor north of the Rivulet in 1632. Goodman John Hoskins served as a . . . — Map (db m28369) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Barkhamsted — Barkhamsted
Barkhamsted Named for Barkhamsted in Hertfordshire, England, this area was part of the Western Lands granted by the proprietors of Windsor to 108 persons of that town in 1732. The first highway through the town was the New Country Road, better . . . — Map (db m29849) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Bethlehem — Bellamy - Ferriday House
In This House Rev. Joseph Bellamy Held the Earliest Theological School 1738 – 1789 — Map (db m48430) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Bethlehem — Bethlehem
Marker Front: The spring session of the 1703 General Assembly granted to the town of Woodbury the right to enlarge its bounds. Negotiations with the Indian inhabitants were successfully concluded and in 1710 a deed of sale, signed by . . . — Map (db m26488) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Bridgewater — Bridgewater
In 1722 Samuel Clark, an original proprietor of New Milford, had a portion of his share of land surveyed in the southerly part of that town known as Shepaug Neck. Although this later became known as Bridgewater, it was not incorporated as a separate . . . — Map (db m20259) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Colebrook — Colebrook
[ front ] Colebrook The last town in colonial Connecticut to be settled, Colebrook was named after a town in Devonshire, England. The reason is now unknown, The year 1765 saw Benjamin Horton, leader of a trickle of settlers, arrive amid . . . — Map (db m30003) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Colebrook — Hale Barn and Trail
Hale Barn and Trail In front of you stands the Hale Barn, a vanishing example of 18th century barns that once graced much of the Connecticut countryside. Today, it is owned by the Colebrook Land Conservancy and is protected along with the 38 acres . . . — Map (db m30240) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Cornwall — Cornwall
Cornwall This area was once part of the Western Lands ordered surveyed by the Legislature in 1731. Yale Lands were surveyed and three hundred acres were set aside for income for Yale College in 1732. At an auction in Fairfield in 1738 the town was . . . — Map (db m41824) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), East Canaan — Birth of an IndustryThe Iron Works of The 1700's — Beckley Furnace Industrial Monument
Birth of an Industry The Iron Works of The 1700's Iron forges came early to the Blackberry River, with the first Catalan forge built in 1739 downstream from this point. About this time young Samuel Forbes (1729-1827) arrived on the scene, first . . . — Map (db m41979) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Falls Village — Canaan
Canaan The Town of Canaan, established in 1738, is known as Falls Village because of the Great Falls of the Housatonic where a power company dam was built in 1912-13. Early industrial prominence resulted from a saw mill and grist mill built at the . . . — Map (db m41850) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Goshen — Goshen
[ front ] Goshen The town was settled in 1738 and incorporated in 1739. Many of the early residents came from Wallingford and Farmington. The Congregational Church was founded in 1740. An Episcopal society existed prior to 1776. During . . . — Map (db m30229) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Harwinton — Harwinton
Harwinton The town was settled in 1731, named in 1732 from Harry(tford) and Win(dsor), and became incorporated in October, 1737. Located on the Hartford-Litchfield Turnpike, Harwinton was primarily an agricultural community with many part-time . . . — Map (db m29788) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Harwinton — Liberty Tree Memorial
Liberty Tree Memorial This American Liberty Elm was named after "The Liberty Tree: Our Country's first Symbol of Freedom." On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people of Boston awakened to discover two effigies suspended from an elm tree in . . . — Map (db m29765) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Litchfield — Earliest American Law School
Earliest American Law School 1775 – 1833 Tapping Reeve And James Gould — Map (db m28522) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Litchfield — Litchfield
[ front ] Litchfield The "Greenwoods" or "Western Lands" of Connecticut were explored in 1715 by John Marsh of Hartford, purchased for fifteen pounds from the Potatuck Indians, who called the area "Bantam", and first settled in 1720. In . . . — Map (db m28521) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Litchfield — Litchfield
Litchfield Settled 1720 Oliver Wolcott Home Reeve’s Law School On South St. — Map (db m58643) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Litchfield — Oliver Wolcott Jr. Home
Oliver Wolcott Jr. Home Presented By Helen J. Fitzgerald to the Litchfield Historical Society In Loving Memory Of Her Husband Harold Fitzgerald 1878 - 1948 — Map (db m28400) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Litchfield — Site of Pierce Academy
Site of Pierce Academy In 1792 Sarah Pierce Opened First Academy For Girls in America — Map (db m29128) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Morris — Morris
[ front ] Morris Originally called South Farms, this area was settled in the 1720's as part of the frontier town of Litchfield. The land was surveyed by Captaiin John Marsh in 1715 and was purchased for fifteen pounds from the bantam . . . — Map (db m28399) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), New Milford — Home Site Of Roger Sherman
Marker on New Milford Town Hall building:On the site of this building once lived Roger Sherman Born 1721 – Died 1793 One of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence ************* Placed by the Roger Sherman Chapter . . . — Map (db m20922) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), New Milford — New Milford
Front This beautiful valley known to the Potatuck Indians as Weantinock, was purchased from them in 1703 by a company of individuals chiefly from Milford, Connecticut, hence the name New Milford. Its earliest white inhabitant, Zachariah . . . — Map (db m22750) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Norfolk — Norfolk
[ front ] Norfolk In the heart of the Green Woods on what was later the Hartford-Albany Turnpike, Norfolk was settled in 1744 by Cornelius Brown of Windsor. The town was incorporated in 1758 with forty-four voters at the first town . . . — Map (db m29687) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Pine Meadow — Liberty Tree Memorial
This American Liberty Elm was named after “The Liberty Tree: Our Country’s first Symbol of Freedom.” On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people of Boston awakened to discover two effigies suspended from an elm tree in protest of the . . . — Map (db m93049) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Pine Meadow — New Hartford
In 1732 the Connecticut General Assembly gave Hartford and Windsor permission to establish seven towns in the colony’s Western Lands. New Hartford was given to 182 Hartford taxpayers who became the new town’s proprietors. They organized and hired . . . — Map (db m92607) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Plymouth — First Congregational Church of Plymouth
First Congregational Church of Plymouth The First Congregational Church had its beginnings as the Ecclesiastical Society of Northbury, established in 1739. The first meetinghouse was completed during the 1760s. The second meetinghouse was . . . — Map (db m90830) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Plymouth — Plymouth
Plymouth First settled in the 1720's on land acquired from the Tunxis Indians, the Town of Plymouth, originally named Northbury, was incorporated in 1795. It includes the communities of Plymouth, Terryville, Pequabuck (formerly Susanville), East . . . — Map (db m28095) HM

5606 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 5406
Paid Advertisement