Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Man-Made Features Historical Markers

3945 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers are listed. Next 3695
The Mound Line Marker (North) image, Click for more information
By TRCP Alliance, June 22, 2013
The Mound Line Marker (North)
Alabama (Baldwin County), Stockton — The Mound Line(Ellicot Line) — Mile Mound No. 216 located 1200 feet east
Surveyed in 1799 to mark the 31° North Latitude, this line charted the first southern boundary of the United States, separating the U.S. from Spanish Florida. The line was marked at one-mile intervals by earthen mounds approximately fifteen-feet . . . — Map (db m81856) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), Enterprise — Rawls Hotel
Original two-story brick structure built 1903 by Japheth Rawls, developer of some of earliest turpentine plants in Coffee County. Building remodeled 1928 and three-story wings added by Jesse P. Rawls, founder of first electric power system in . . . — Map (db m30308) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Sheffield — Old Railroad Bridge
(obverse) In 1832, the Alabama legislature authorized the Florence Bridge Company to construct this bridge across the Tennessee River. In 1840, it opened as a toll bridge. Twice damaged by storms, it was reopened in 1858 as a double-decked . . . — Map (db m40596) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Cold Water Falls
World's Largest Man-Made Natural Stone Waterfall to be known in existence 80 feet wide, 48 feet tall 1,780 tons of Colbert County Sandstone 4,320,000 gallons of water per day passes over falls Largest stone weights 77,000 pounds 120 days . . . — Map (db m83394) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Tuscumbia Big Spring
Big Spring (average daily flow 35,000,000 gallons) provided water for town founded on its banks. Michael Dickson of Tennessee was first settler (about 1817). Town laid out in 1819 and incorporated as Ococoposo (Cold Water, 1820). Name changed to . . . — Map (db m83453) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — “Die Deutsche Kolonie Von Nord Alabama”Historic District
“Die Deutsche Kolonie Von Nord Alabama” (The German Colony of North Alabama) lies south of Highway 278E and consists of 27 blocks containing 135 buildings representing various types of historic architecture. The District was added to the . . . — Map (db m33837) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Ozark — Historic Bell
Erected on this site by the Dale County Commission, this bell is made of brass and hung in the clock tower of the courthouse from its completion in 1902 until it was torn down in 1968. The bell was made in 1902 by McShane Bell Foundry Company of . . . — Map (db m36565) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — Perine Well
This artesian well was drilled to serve a factory which did not materialize. It was then used to water the grounds, a garden and pastures. In addition, by forcing water through pipes into his $50,000 home, E. M. Perine, a merchant prince, had the . . . — Map (db m83518) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Tallassee — Tukabatchee / Tokvpvcce
(north side) Tukabatchee On this bend of the Tallapoosa River, stretching out before you, lay one of the ancient towns of the Muscogee Creek People, called Tukabatchee. Tukabatchee is one of the original four mother towns of the . . . — Map (db m92945) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Alabama City — Howard Gardner Nichols 1871-1896Scholar, Engineer, Industrialist, Naturalist, Humanitarian
Nichols came to Alabama City in 1894 to supervise construction of the Dwight Manufacturing Company. While serving as the mill's first agent, he planned and began a model mill village and was elected Mayor of Alabama City. — Map (db m18578) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Moundville — Moundville
Site of a prehistoric Native American political and ceremonial center from about A. D. 1100-1500 that, at its height in the 13th century, was America’s largest community north of Mexico. Between 1,000 and 3,000 people lived in this town fortified by . . . — Map (db m30700) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Building The ParkVisiting the Park — Restoring Vulcan Park
Side 1 - Building the Park In the mid-1930’s, civic leaders worked to move Vulcan to a place of honor on Red Mountain. The park was built through the combined efforts of several groups: the Kiwanis Club of Birmingham, the Birmingham Parks . . . — Map (db m83807) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — East Lake Park
East Lake was planned in 1886 by the East Lake Land Company to help sell home sites to the men who came in the 1870's to work in Birmingham's steel industry. First named Lake Como, after the lake in the Italian Alps, it soon came to be called East . . . — Map (db m83828) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Roebuck Spring
In 1850 George James Roebuck and his wife Ann Hawkins Roebuck built a log cabin at the mouth of Roebuck Spring. His Influence and leadership led to the area around it to be known as Roebuck. In 1900 Alabama Boys Industrial School was located . . . — Map (db m26688) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Cascade
One popular element of the park’s original design was a water feature known as the cascade. Cascading fountains were important features in formal European gardens. Their terraced pools and waterfalls animated the landscape with the sounds and . . . — Map (db m83857) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Works Progress Administration
The WPA (Works Progress Administration) funded the design and construction of Vulcan Park in the late 1930s. This was done in conjunction with the Alabama Highway Department’s improvement of U.S. Highway 31, the major north/south route that runs . . . — Map (db m69022) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Edgewood Lake (Drained 1940's) Birmingham Motor & Country Club / Edgewood Country Club(Demolished 1930's)
The developers of the Town of Edgewood, Stephen Smith and Troupe Brazelton, built the beautiful 117.4 acre lake and clubhouse in 1913-15. Amenities included a swimming pool, dance pavilion, fishing, boating and parking for hundreds of automobiles. . . . — Map (db m26963) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Leeds — John HenryLedgendary 'Steel Drivin' Man'
The story of "steel driving' man" John Henry is one of America's most enduring legends. The strong ex-slave became a folk hero during construction of the Columbus & Western Railroad between Goodwater and Birmingham. He drilled holes for explosives . . . — Map (db m22207) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Maj. Gen. George W. GoethalsCity of Florence Walk of Honor
In 1891, G.W. Goethals, in his role as supervisor of public works on the Tennessee River, reported directly to the Secretary of War. Later, he was Chief Engineer for the construction of the Panama Canal. — Map (db m29099) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Prehistoric Mound(Probably Built Between 100 B.C and 400 A.D.)
This is the highest domiciliary mound in the Tennessee Valley. It was probably built between 100 B.C. and 400 A.D. by a prehistoric people of the ancient Woodland Culture. Such mounds served as bases for ceremonial temples or chief's houses. This . . . — Map (db m28457) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Wilson Dam
Construction of Wilson Dam began in 1918 and was completed in 1924. The Dam is 137 feet high and stretches 4,541 feet across the Tennessee River. Wilson Dam is a hydroelectric facility. It has 21 generating units with a net dependable capacity . . . — Map (db m73997) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Rogersville — Samuel Burney: 1763-1849 Revolutionary War Veteran / Burneys Creek/First Creek Wheeler Lake
(side 1) Samuel Burney: 1763-1849 Revolutionary War Veteran Samuel Burney, Sr., was born on January 30, 1763, in Guilford Co., NC. He was among 17 known Revolutionary War veterans to settle in the area that became Lauderdale . . . — Map (db m84299) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Courtland — A Cotton Kingdom
Side A A combination of rich soil, mild climate and ready access to market via river and later railroad made Courtland an early center of cotton production. From surrounding plantations with colorful names like Bonnie Doone, Oak Grove, . . . — Map (db m71285) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Courtland — Courtland's Early Architecture(circa 1820-1940)
Side A Structures within the Courtland historic district represent over 150 years of changing tastes in building design. Although only a few of Courtland’s earliest buildings survive, the Federal~style architecture of the oldest houses . . . — Map (db m28990) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Oakville — Copena Burial Mound
Copena Indians built this mound with baskets of dirt some 2000 years ago. The Copena name was derived from their use of copper and galena (lead ore) found in their burials along with gorgets and celts. The mounds were a burial site with the dead . . . — Map (db m84315) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Town Creek — The TVA System of Multi-purpose DamsWheeler Dam — Built for the people of the United States of America
The Tennessee River has its headwaters in the mountains of Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina and Georgia. The main stream forms at Knoxville, where the Houston and the French Broad Rivers join. The valley, 41,000 square miles in area, receives . . . — Map (db m47486) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Courthouse and Poor Farm Fence
A section of the fence that surrounded the 'Court House' grounds until 1916. When construction of the present building was planned, the fence was moved to the County Poor Farm on Elkton Rd. This section donated to the people of Limestone County by . . . — Map (db m85390) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Greenbrier — Druid's Grove Plantation / Jones-Donnell Cemetery
VA native John Nelson Spotswood Jones, son of Rev. War Capt. Lewellen Jones, cousin of Martha Washington, and descendant of Rev. Rowland Jones of Williamsburg's Bruton Parish, built Druid's Grove near this site before 1820 and established the . . . — Map (db m70235) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Tanner — Cotton Hillcirca 1824
A grand two story brick house built in the Federal style with a double tier pedimented Palladian portico. The house displays architectural features brought to Limestone County by early settlers from Southside Virginia, and adjacent North Carolina. . . . — Map (db m90915) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site — FIRE!
The Fire Protection Shed in front of you was used to store equipment such as hoses, fire extinguishers, and tools for fighting fires. Fire was always a danger at the airfield because of the flammable materials used in airplanes and the fuels . . . — Map (db m64364) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Civilian Conservation Corps(C. C. C.) Camp — 1935~1940
This rock entrance is all that remains of Camp Ala. SP-16, 3486 and Camp Ala. TVA-7, 3483 which were built here due to available water. They were part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's conservation projects. When WW II started the men enlisted in . . . — Map (db m55607) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Grant — Pennsylvania Bell Tower
Built as a water tower in 1937 By her husband in honor of Mrs. Harper Donelson Sheppard Pennsylvania State Regent 1935-1938 And created a Bell Tower in 1973 Upon the installation of a Carillion By the Pennsylvania Daughters In honor . . . — Map (db m76232) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Guntersville — Section of Core
Drilled from Limestone Bedrock during Construction of Guntersville Dam 1935-1938 — Map (db m85903) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Chennault Circle
To accommodate expansion of programs, a five million dollar construction project began in 1954 to give AU a modern, integrated academic center with a collegiate atmosphere and facilities in keeping with its educational mission. We’re . . . — Map (db m64372) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Monument to Powered Flight
In tribute to the perseverance and achievements of the Wright Brothers and the leadership and foresight of the Citizens of Montgomery, Alabama. Together they established the nation's first school of civil aviation in March, 1910, launching . . . — Map (db m64567) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — North American B-25 Mitchell
The North American B-25 Mitchell, named after America's greatest military martyr (Gen Billy Mitchell), made its maiden flight on 19 August 1940 and was ordered in large numbers straight off the drawing board by the Army Air Corps. Internal . . . — Map (db m64449) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Decorative Lions Heads1907-1978 — Presented to Montgomery by First Alabama Bank of Montgomery, N.A.
These decorative terra cotta lions heads, typical of the ornamentation used in commercial style architecture in the early part of the 20th century, were utilized by the First National Bank of Montgomery on the cornice of their 12 story building from . . . — Map (db m36646) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Governor Jones House
Thomas Goode Jones, governor of Alabama from 1890-1894, occupied this house during his long political career which took him from the Montgomery City Council to a federal judgeship. During his two terms as governor, his home was the Executive Mansion . . . — Map (db m36585) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Murphy House
Greek Revival Home built, 1851 by John H. Murphy, cotton broker and an incorporator and director of the Montgomery Water Works Company, chartered 1854. Union Army Provost Marshal's Headquarters 1865. Elks Club 1902-1967 Restored by Montgomery . . . — Map (db m36569) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Beauty and HopeRestoring the Vision...Preserving The Legacy
"This section lying between Sixth Avenue and Eight Avenue will provide the central beautification theme as it will evolve into a beautiful elevated rose garden with 2,000 selected roses planted at vantage points... the color ensemble, when complete . . . — Map (db m86480) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Carolyn Cortner SmithFemale Architect Pioneer / Designed Delano Park Structures
(Front): Born in 1894 in Normandy, Tennessee, Carolyn Cortner was raised in the Courtland area of Lawrence County, Alabama. She attended Ward-Belmont College in Tennessee. She married Wilburn Smith in 1912. She did not attend formal . . . — Map (db m27814) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Gen. Jos. Wheeler
For whom this lake in Tennessee River is named lived 1836-1906. His home 16 miles west. Lt. Gen. in Confederate Army 1864-5. Maj. Gen. U. S. Army 1898. Named by Alabama to Hall of Fame, Washington, 1922. — Map (db m27760) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Goshen — Allred House & Cemetery
Side 1 A veteran of the War of 1812, Major William Burt Allred and his wife, Jane O. Park Allred, moved from Newton County, GA to Pike County, AL in 1839. Construction began on their new home in 1840 and was completed in 1843. The home is . . . — Map (db m72056) HM
Alabama (Talladega County), Sylacauga — Hightower Brothers Livery Stable
Founded in 1896 by brothers John Judge and Milton Graham Hightower, this small-town livery stable served the community and surrounding countryside until its closing in 1955. Originally located nearby, the business moved to this “New . . . — Map (db m57763) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Masons Marks
To identify their work masons often carved special marks into the bottom, sides, or back of the stones. Their supervisors were thus able to distinguish between the quality and quantity of each mason's work. Blocks for the building were quarried from . . . — Map (db m29116) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Warrior-Tombigbee Waterway
From 1887-1915, seventeen locks and dams were constructed on the Warrior - Tombigbee Rivers. The first 3 were built on the fall line in Tuscaloosa. This was the site of No. 3, later No. 12. The Warrior - Tombigbee Development Association, founded . . . — Map (db m28786) HM
Alaska (Fairbanks North Star Borough), Fox — Pipeline History
On November 16, 1973, through Presidential approval of pipeline legilation, Alyeska Pipeline Service Company received permission to begin construction of the 800-mile trans Alaska pipeline, its pump stations and the Marine Terminal at . . . — Map (db m20215) HM
Alaska (Juneau Borough), Juneau — Pelton wheels
Pelton wheels are among the most efficient types of water wheels. It was invented by Lester Allan Pelton (1829-1908) in the 1870s, and is an impulse machine, meaning that it uses Newton’s second law to extract energy from a jet of fluid. It should . . . — Map (db m70762) HM
Alaska (Ketchikan Gateway Borough), Ketchikan — Chief Johnson Totem Pole
Totem poles are carved to honor deceased ancestors, record history, social events, and oral tradition. They were never worshipped as religious objects. This totem, carved by Israel Shotridge and raised in 1989, is a replica of the Chief . . . — Map (db m79703) HM
Alaska (Yukon Koyukuk Borough), Nenana — Golden Spike
A Golden Spike was driven at this point by President Harding on completion of the Alaska Railroad July 15 1923 — Map (db m4286) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Two SpotsArizona Lumber and Timber Company Steam Engine
Arizona Lumber and Timber Company purchased this Baldwin steam engine in 1917 for lumbering operations in and around Flagstaff, where the engine spent its entire working life. The City of Flagstaff purchased No. 25 in 1995. Canvas water bags . . . — Map (db m41720) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — El Tovar HotelBegun 1903, Completed 1905
Named for Don Pedro de Tovar, the first European to visit the Hopi Indian villages in 1540, the hotel was constructed by Hopi Indian craftsmen at a cost of $250,000 employing logs shipped by train from Oregon and native Kaibab Limestone. The El . . . — Map (db m39477) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Grandview, 1898
"No language can fully describe, no artist paint the beauty, grandeur, immensity and sublimity of this most wonderful production of Nature's great architect. [Grand Canyon] must be seen to be appreciated." C.O. Hall, Grand Canyon visitor, . . . — Map (db m39659) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Santa Fe Depot
"Won't you be one of the 25,000 visitors at the Grand Canyon of Arizona this summer? It is the world's scenic wonder - nothing like it." Santa Fe Railroad brochure, 1914. The Santa Fe train whistle that was heard here on September 17, . . . — Map (db m39569) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Tusayan Museum and Ruin
Cohonina and ancestral Pueblo (Kayenta Anasazi) people lived in this area in prehistoric time. The ancestral Puebloans built Tusayan about AD 1185. A visit to the museum and a short walk through the remains of the village will furnish a glimpse of . . . — Map (db m39631) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Tusayan Ruin Trail
Allow about 30 minutes to tour Tusayan Ruin. The 0.1 mile loop trail through the main ruin is paved and wheelchair-accessible; the side loop to a prehistoric farming site is not. Signs along the way explain the site's features. An interpretive . . . — Map (db m39633) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Marble Canyon — Navajo Bridge Erection Toggle Screw/Navajo BridgeState of Arizona — 1927/1928
This Erection Toggle Screw was used in the construction of the historic Navajo Bridge to maintain bridge vertical elevations and as a means of lowering bridge sections in place. [Plaque Mounted on Bridge]: State of Arizona Navajo . . . — Map (db m38469) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Colorado River Storage Project / Glen Canyon DamReclamation: Managing Water in the West
Colorado River Storage Project In recognition of the vision of the Colorado River Storage Project Act of 1956 and the significant contributions the act has made to the development of the Upper Colorado River Basin states, this plaque . . . — Map (db m40350) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Concrete Bucket / Concrete Core SampleReclamation: Managing Water in the West
Concrete Bucket This is one of several concrete buckets that poured the concrete in Glen Canyon Dam. Each bucket held 24 tons (22 metric tons) of concrete and it took over 400,000 buckets to complete the dam. The first pour of concrete . . . — Map (db m40342) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Glen Canyon DamColorado River Storage Project
Dedicated by the First Lady Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson September 22, 1966 United States Department of the Interior Stewart L. Udall, Secretary Bureau of Reclamation Floyd E. Dominy, Commissioner [The following marker is inside the . . . — Map (db m40370) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Hydroelectric Power - A Green and Renewable Energy SourceReclamation: Managing Water in the West
Glen Canyon Dam and other dams along the Colorado River provide critical water and power resources for millions of Americans in the Southwest. Recreation at the reservoirs is enjoyed by visitors from around the world. Turbine Runner This . . . — Map (db m40344) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Intake StructuresReclamation: Managing Water in the West
The eight small "buildings" on the upstream face of the dam contain equipment to operate the penstock gates. Each penstock is 15 feet (4.6 meters) in diameter and carries water to one of the turbine generators in the powerplant. — Map (db m40349) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Rock Bolts / High ScalingReclamation: Managing Water in the West
Rock Bolts Since Navajo sandstone tends to fracture vertically, rock bolts lock rock slabs together, thereby minimizing rock falls into the canyon. These bolts extend from 45 to 75 feet (14-23 meters) into the canyon wall. They are assembled . . . — Map (db m40346) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Turbine Runner
This stainless steel turbine runner was removed in 1989 from the Bureau of Reclamation's Crystal Dam Powerplant in Montrose, Colorado. Weighing about 8½ metric tons, it is the rotating part of a Francis-type reaction turbine (named after its . . . — Map (db m40371) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — Carl Richards' Garage
Carl Richards constructed this building in 1947 as his blacksmith shop. At the time, auto garage work was just a sideline. Richards is known as Sedona's first 'Fire Chief' because he kept the town's first fire truck in his garage. If there was a . . . — Map (db m78744) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Walnut Canyon National Monument — A Community Sharing the Land
This was a community of relatives and neighbors. Its members worked together to haul water, hunt animals, and gather plants. They likely assisted each other with large fields on the rims. They shared walls and resources, joy and sorrow, success . . . — Map (db m61366) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Walnut Canyon National Monument — A Days Work
Puebloan traditions reach far back in time and are the basis for the social organization portrayed here. What responsibilities might you have had in this community, given your age and gender? [Photo captions read] Hopi men plant and tend . . . — Map (db m61350) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Walnut Canyon National Monument — An Efficient Design
Overhanging ledges protected rooms from snow and rain, and shaded them during summer months. Thick walls of stone and mud insulated them from harsh winds and retained essential heat in winter. Small doors were covered with animal skins, mats, . . . — Map (db m61365) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Walnut Canyon National Monument — Departure
Despite all it had to offer, in time Walnut Canyon became a difficult place for farmers to live. Drier, colder conditions meant crop failures. More people and diminished resources meant nutritional stress, disease, and conflict. However, . . . — Map (db m61370) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Walnut Canyon National Monument — Problem Solving
Time has worn away details that once made these rooms complete. Still, bits of evidence tell us people devised ways to make their homes comfortable, durable, and suitable for changing circumstances. Rooms were added as families grew or . . . — Map (db m61341) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Walnut Canyon National Monument — Room Functions
Most rooms in this community did not house people. Archeologists think many rooms, like the one to your left, were used to store tools, food, and water. Residents could have stored a 100-day water supply without much difficulty, given large . . . — Map (db m61347) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Walnut Canyon National Monument — The Perfect Shelter
For each room tucked into this rock alcove, nature provided the back wall, floor, and leak-proof ceiling; no excavation was needed. Builders simply laid up unshaped blocks of limestone for side walls, enclosed the front, and opened their doorway . . . — Map (db m61340) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Walnut Canyon National Monument — What Happened Here?
"It is very dusty work to dig for relics....We dug for an hour or more, and found...cornstalks, corncobs in abundance, beans, gourds, nuts, reeds, arrows, bowstrings,...coarse cloth, a child's sandal, a measuring stick with notches at regular . . . — Map (db m61368) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Wupatki National Monument — Community
This area seems quiet and lonely today - but not 800 years ago. This valley was used for farming and hunting by the people living in Citadel, Nalakihu, and other nearby pueblos, all inhabited at about the same time. (You can see the ruins of at . . . — Map (db m41716) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Wupatki National Monument — Nalakihu
Nalakihu - A modern Hopi name, "House Outside the Village" Farmers lived here about 800 years ago. (Roof beams gave tree ring dates in the late 1100s.) The way the walls join show this small pueblo was not built all at once, but was added onto. . . . — Map (db m41713) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Wupatki National Monument — The BallcourtA Mexican Idea at Wupatki
Ballcourts were common in southern Arizona from A.D. 750 to 1200, but relatively rare here in the northern part of the state. This suggests that the people of Wupatki intermingled with their southern Arizona neighbors - the Hohokam - who may have . . . — Map (db m41696) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Wupatki National Monument — Where Were The Fields?
Farming then did not mean vast fields like we use today. Anasazi and Sinagua people modified these small terraces to grow hand-tended corn, cotton, beans, and squash. We know the climate was about what it is now, very dry for farming. The terraces . . . — Map (db m41715) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Roosevelt — The Bridge1987-1990
Before dam modifications could begin, a $21.3 million bridge was built to relocate traffic off the top of Roosevelt Dam. Roosevelt Lake Bridge is the longest two-lane, single-span, steel-arch bridge in North America. The bridge, spanning 1,080 feet . . . — Map (db m34112) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Roosevelt — Tonto BasinRoosevelt Lake's Watershed
Over six million years ago, the mountains surrounding you were lifted skyward. As they rose, the land in between sank, creating the valley known as Tonto Basin. Melting snow and summer rains drain from the vast Salt River watershed toward the . . . — Map (db m34111) HM
Arizona (Gila County), San Carlos — The Coolidge Dam
Built by The United States of America Department of Interior Bureau of Indian Affairs Irrigation Service Calvin Coolidge President of the United States of America Roy O. West Secretary of the Interior • Hubert Work Secretary of . . . — Map (db m81530) HM
Arizona (Greenlee County), Clifton — Clifton Cliff Jail
Blasted from living rock this jail confined many of the bad men who crowed into the district in the boom days. Local tradition says that the first inmate in 1881 was the miner who built the jail. It was contributed to the town by the Lesinsky . . . — Map (db m36373) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Apache Junction — Roosevelt Dam1989 – 1996
After nearly nine years of work, $430 million in construction cost, 450,000 cubic yards of concrete, and 849 miles of reinforcing steel, another vivid chapter in Arizona history has been rewritten. Modifications to Roosevelt Dam were required . . . — Map (db m34107) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Apache Junction — The People Who Made It HappenThe Building of a Dam
The construction of Roosevelt Dam involved several thousand people over the course of the project. Hiring was straightforward; a foreman would simply size up a man and decide if he could do the work. Jobs requiring diverse skills were plentiful. . . . — Map (db m34108) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — Historic A. J. Chandler Park / The Chandler District Honor Roll
Side A: Historic A.J. Chandler Park The centerpiece of Dr. A.J. Chandler’s town design in 1912 was a large, rectangular central park. In the early years, this park was covered in Bermuda grass, trees, and included footbridges over . . . — Map (db m70980) HM WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Blacksmith and Machine Shop — at Sahuaro Ranch . . .
Farm and ranch work have always been hard on machinery, making frequent repairs necessary. Throughout Sahuaro Ranch's history, most of these repairs were made here by the ranch's own employees. This building, which is believed to have been . . . — Map (db m40676) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Corrals and Tack House — at Sahuaro Ranch . . .
The corrals here are the remnants of the sprawling complex of corrals and pastures needed to raise the livestock that was always important to the operations of Sahuaro Ranch. In early years, horses and mules were the primary source of power for . . . — Map (db m40686) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Dairy Barn — at Sahuaro Ranch . . .
Although some cows were probably always kept on the ranch to supply fresh milk and butter, it was not until after Richard W. Smith bought Sahuaro Ranch in 1927 that dairy cows were raised here commercially. At first the Smith family sold only . . . — Map (db m40662) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Fruit Packing Shed — at Sahuaro Ranch...
This packing shed, constructed in 1891, is one of the oldest farm buildings on the ranch. It was designed by James M. Creighton, a prominent architect in territoral Arizona. Exactly how the shed was used is not known, but presumably it was here . . . — Map (db m40702) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Irrigation — at Sahuaro Ranch...
The water for Sahuaro Ranch came by gravity flow from the Arizona Canal, located about two miles to the north. It was carried from the canal by a ditch on 59th Avenue known as Lateral 18 and then flowed onto the ranch through smaller ditches such . . . — Map (db m40706) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Orchards — at Sahuaro Ranch
The most important crops in the early years of Sahuaro Ranch were fruits and nuts. These commanded high prices, which meant they could profitably be raised here and sold to buyers across the country despite the high cost of shipping from such a . . . — Map (db m40705) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Stable / Granary — at Sahuaro Ranch . . .
Little is known about the history of this building, which started out as a horse stable, but it almost certainly was one of the earliest work buildings to be erected at Sahuaro Ranch. The eastern half, with the vertical wood siding, was built . . . — Map (db m40685) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — The Barnyard — at Sahuaro Ranch . . .
The barnyard was the center of activity as Sahuaro Ranch. Horses and mules were stabled, trained, and shoed here. Cattle were brought to the corrals for branding, treatment and shipment. Farm implements and wagons were stored and repaired here. . . . — Map (db m40674) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Water & Power — at Sahuaro Ranch . . .
When Sahuaro Ranch was built, and for some years afterward, water and electricity had to be provided by the owners themselves, often at great expense. Drinking water was obtained from a groundwater well located in the back yard of the Main . . . — Map (db m40638) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Well HouseSRP Well House Re-creation — at Sahuaro Ranch . . .
This building, which houses a groundwater well pump, is a re-creation of a Salt River Project (SRP) pump house from the 1920s. In the original pump houses, a wooden derrick was erected first and used to drill the well. Once the well was working, an . . . — Map (db m40660) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Prehistoric Irrigation in the Salt River Valley
Approximately 300 B.C. Prehistoric Indians entered the Salt River Valley. They developed an extensive canal system and raised corn, beans, squash, agave and cotton. Over 500 miles of Hohokam canal have been recorded in the Salt River Valley. . . . — Map (db m49877) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Eastlake Park
Peace Eastlake Park has served the inhabitants of Phoenix since the late 1880's. Originally known as Patton's Park, it was developed by the Phoenix Railway Company to serve as a recreational area for patrons of the city's trolley system. The . . . — Map (db m55058) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Hunt Bass Hatchery
* USA * Work Program WPA Hunt Bass Hatchery Erected A.D. 1936 Sponsored By Arizona State Game Department O.P. No. 65-2-544 — Map (db m34557) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — U.S.S. Arizona Signal MastIn Memory of the Crew of the U.S.S. Arizona (BB39)
The upper 26 feet of the mast before you is the top portion of the main mast of the U.S.S. Arizona and is known as the signal mast or "pig-stick". The battleship U.S.S. Arizona (BB 39) was sunk at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. The . . . — Map (db m26610) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Queen Creek — 1912 Parker Carousel
This carousel was purchased from Wally Scott, Elk River, Minnesota. He had it set up in the loft of his old barn. It was disassembled and moved to Schnepf Farms in 1999. It took three months to refurbish. This carousel is listed on the National . . . — Map (db m94477) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Queen Creek — Water Tower
This historic water tower for Producers Cotton Gin was first erected in 1952 on the corner of Ellsworth and Cloud Roads in Queen Creek. The landmark in Queen Creek was getting ready to be torn down but was quickly moved to Schnepf Farms in 1999 to . . . — Map (db m94479) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Scottsdale — The Spire
This Frank Lloyd Wright designed Spire was originally part of the Frank Lloyd Wright designed Arizona State Capitol project from 1957. The Spire is 125 feet in height and was formally illuminated on 28 April 2004. Taliesin Architects. Arnold . . . — Map (db m40619) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Lake Havasu City — Robert P. McCulloch, Sr.
[Upper Plaque]: In grateful memory Robert P. McCulloch, Sr. Whose purchase of London Bridge in 1968 saved it for the enjoyment and use of posterity [Lower Plaque]: October 10, 1981 on this 150th Anniversary . . . — Map (db m6974) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Apache Junction — Roosevelt Dam1903-1911
On September 20, 1906 the first stone was laid in place. Over the next five years, 350,000 cubic feet of block would be cut, shaped, and fashioned into the Roosevelt Dam. The blocks of stone were carved out of the canyon walls. They were lifted . . . — Map (db m34106) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Apache Junction — Superstition Mountain Historical Society
This entrance marker is constructed of hand-hewn blocks which once made up the façade of Roosevelt Dam. They were given to the Superstition Mountain Historical Society by the United States Bureau of Reclamation. The larger blocks weigh upwards of . . . — Map (db m34060) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — Macaw Pen Stone?
Could This Stone Be The Opening to a Macaw Pen? Where Did This Stone Come From? Who Used It? Why Is This Stone at Montezuma Castle? Did the Ancient Sinaguans Possibly Raise Macaws Here? In the 15th century, near modern-day Casa . . . — Map (db m40895) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — The Neighborhood / Mysterious Departures
The Neighborhood You can see Montezuma Castle and Castle A from here. If you look closely at the Cliffside, you might spot other ledges and caves used by the Sinagua. The Sinagua people who made their homes here may have been a . . . — Map (db m40869) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — The People Next Door
Here’s another “castle” – this one called “A” by the archeologists who excavated it in the 1930s. Like neighboring Montezuma Castle, Castle A was occupied by Sinagua farmers between A.D. 1200 and 1450. However, with . . . — Map (db m40863) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — The Way Up / Construction Sequence
The Way Up How in the world do you build a structure large enough to house 35 people high up on a steep canyon wall? Sound impossible? Here’s how Montezuma Castle’s ingenious Sinagua farmers managed it. Construction Sequence 1. . . . — Map (db m40860) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Dug Hill Community Center

So called because steps were dug into the hill so settlers could reach the top.

Once existed two churches, a school and a cemetery. Area named and cemetery started about 1867. — Map (db m90572) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Veterans Wall of Honor

Founder’s Statement All Who Serve Sacrifice Some Who Serve Sacrifice All

Welcome to the Veterans Wall of Honor, honoring all veterans of our Armed Forces who have served in peace and war since the Revolutionary War. In the spring of . . . — Map (db m92585) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — Benton County Hardware
circa 1893, W.J. Doke proprietor. First Motor Co. and first gas station in alley beside store. Recently housed Bentonville Furniture — Map (db m54310) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — Benton County National Bank
Civil Court and Bentonville City Hall, circa 1934 Site formerly the Benton County National Bank circa 1906 — Map (db m54312) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — Terry Block
Terry Block Bldg. circa 1888, named for Col. William Terry housed the Benton County Bank and a Mercantile Company — Map (db m54309) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — Canning Factory

January 1936, Tom Farish & Joe Steele started building a canning factory using a lot of donated labor. The first run of green beans was June 26, 1936, tomatoes July 22, 1936, followed by spinach and other products later on.

After Tom Farish . . . — Map (db m93283) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — Old City Jail

Location: West of the railroad tracks on Lincoln Street between McClure & Monroe, almost directly across from Allen Canning Company Warehouse. It was about 12' x 12', made of native stone, cemented together. One small window on the north side . . . — Map (db m93282) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — The Bank of Lowell

Humphrey Barr, brother of Mrs. L. P. Davis, was an early banker. We know Henry Neal was the banker in 1918. He loaned Elza Tucker's mother $75 to buy a family sewing machine. He charged 10% interest and had a loan limit of $100. Elza has the . . . — Map (db m93279) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — All Vietnam Veterans MemorialIn Memory Of
This memorial was erected in memory of the young individuals who went to war as kids and lost their youthful dreams, and some their lives, for a cause - freedom and honor - and came back as men with the horrors of war instilled in every fiber of . . . — Map (db m62588) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — Arvest Bank

The American National Bank built a new building on this corner in 1962. Prior to that year, it was located at 114 S. First Street and was the only bank in Rogers from 1931 until 1956. The bank was under the leadership of T.E. Harris, and his . . . — Map (db m93332) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — Daisy Airgun Museum[Juhre Building]

Charles Juhre built this building in 1894 for the Rogers Grocery Company. In 1900, the building was occupied by the J.W. Ford Grocery and Feed Store. In 1918, McGill's Drug Store was here and then, in 1925, it became The Corner Drug Store, . . . — Map (db m93335) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — First United Methodist ChurchA.O. Clarke, Architect — Built 1908

This building is a pinnacle of A.O. Clarke's interweaving use of limestone and brick, Romanesque arches, and stained glass window detail. In 1996, the historic sanctuary was renovated and is one of the highlights of the church. The trademark . . . — Map (db m93331) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — Harris Baking Company1936

This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m93328) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — 83 — Van Winkle's Mill

Peter Van Winkle’s saw mill cut lumber for Confederate soldiers’ winter quarters at Cross Hollow and Oxford Bend in early 1862. Gen. Earl Van Dorn’s Confederates used the mill to grind corn after their March 1862 defeat at Pea Ridge, and . . . — Map (db m90738) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — Victory Theater

The Rogers Victory Theater Opened Monday, December 5, 1927, to a packed crowd of 750. First Production: "American Beauty" Notable Performers Over the Years: Will Rogers, Conway Twitty Designed by A.O. Clarke Built by John Myler . . . — Map (db m90740) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — "Mud" Street and "Underground Eureka"

Professor KALKLOSCH’s Guidebook, published in 1880, states: “The first street of the town was surveyed down the gulch below the spring. A broad avenue connects this street with the famous EUREKA BASIN SPRING. It being the first street it . . . — Map (db m79755) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — A Timeless PlaceUpper Spring

The buildings, the bluffs, the spring and The Boulevard all make this a special place in Eureka Springs which has kept a peaceful beauty of earlier times.

The front of the McLaughlin Block has changed little since it was built in . . . — Map (db m80138) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Bank of Eureka Springs

Bank of Eureka Springs was established in May, 1912, in the Klock and Clark Building at 75 Spring Street. In 1946 it was relocated to 40 Spring Street.

In 1966, the bank purchased the McGinnis property at 70 South Main Street. The old . . . — Map (db m90573) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Carnegie Library

This is one of only four free public libraries in Arkansas funded by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. It was built of native limestone and completed in 1912 on this site which was donated by Eureka Springs resident Richard C. Kerens. The . . . — Map (db m80137) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Chandler Mall Buildings

Richard H. James and Charles S. Beck built the three story brick and limestone Beck and James Building in the year 1888 to house a clothing and apparel store.

F. H. and Avarilla James and their family resided in the upper rooms and C. S. . . . — Map (db m79738) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Citizen's Bank Building

Ornate brick and limestone structure built after Great Fire of 1888 for Citizen's Bank established 1887 by J.T. Waddell. The bank failed in 1907. First National Bank occupied building until 1931 when it failed due to Great Depression. Bank of . . . — Map (db m79736) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Clayton-Becker House

Crescent Cottage on the National Register of Historic Places

Built in 1881 Home of Powell Clayton, the first governor of Arkansas after the state was readmitted to the Union following the War Between the States

Owners . . . — Map (db m80139) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Crescent Spring and Trail

Crescent Spring was revered for its healing waters almost as much as the basin, the legendary Indian Healing Spring. Situated beside the Wagon Road on a hillside with a rocky outcropping described as "crescent" shaped, the spring was soon given . . . — Map (db m80135) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Eureka Springs Historical MuseumEstablished 1971 in Calif House

This three-story limestone building with metal-clad roof enclosing the top story was constructed in 1889 by Samuel L. Calif. For fifty years it served as a residence, general merchandise store, and boarding house. About 1948 the building was . . . — Map (db m90699) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Fire and Brick & StoneUpper Spring

The neighborhood above the current First Baptist Church burned in the Great Fire of 1883, the first of four Great Fires which destroyed most of the town's early wooden structures. New commercial buildings were built of more fire-resistant . . . — Map (db m80106) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Grotto Spring

The words "esto perpetua" emblazoned upon a stone above the entrance to Grotto Spring declare the prevailing belief that these healing waters would flow forth forever. Early townspeople discovered the spring under an overhanging rock ledge, a . . . — Map (db m80121) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Harding Spring

Named for J. Emmett Harding, a photographer who began the tradition of making photographs of people in front of the spring as souvenirs. He built a small dwelling near the spring in the summer of 1879.

In 1879, the spring was accessed by a . . . — Map (db m80151) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Kentucky House

Kentucky House Hotel established on this site 1880, Mrs. E.D. Andrews, proprietor. Building survived Great Fire 1888, disappeared by 1900. Street work 1915 created stone wall. Sharp’s Continental Oil Company gas station constructed 1928. Epley . . . — Map (db m79756) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Laundry Spring

The site of this spring was outside the area included in the 1879 survey. Known as East Mountain, this area was crowded with wood structures by 1885. The spring, which flowed from a small cave lined with projections of onyx stone, was already . . . — Map (db m80152) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Law Offices of F. O. Butt

Festus Orestes Butt was born in 1875 in Illinois just before his family moved to Carroll County, Arkansas. He became a licensed attorney before he was of legal age. The Arkansas General Assembly set aside his "disability of minority", and he . . . — Map (db m79735) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Mud Street to Main StreetNorth Main

"It being the first street in town... it was named Main Street. But owing to its low elevation and the law of gravitation, the water would find a level in the street, and as the immense travel created an abundance of mud, the street was . . . — Map (db m80153) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Steam Locomotive(0-4-0)

Built in Berlin, Germany 1934, 600 millimeter gauge (24 inch) (same engines are used at Silver Dollar City). Engine was found near Orlando, Fla. in 1989. Was bought by gentleman from Switzerland and hauled to Eureka Springs same year. Plans are . . . — Map (db m80172) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Sweet Spring

This spring derived its name from early townspeople who declared the water to have a pleasant, sweet taste. The spring was originally located in the deep ravine below the present site. A long wooden stairway led from the spring to the narrow . . . — Map (db m80115) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Sweet Spring Hotel - Huntington Infirmary - Sweet Spring Home

Sweet Spring Hotel The Sweet Spring Hotel was established about 1887 at the corner of Pine Street and Spring, then known as Rice Street, with A.S. Capps as proprietor. The spacious three-story frame structure was painted white with dark . . . — Map (db m80112) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Basin Bath House
Basin Bath House was established 1879 adjacent to Basin Spring by Dr. Alvah Jackson's son, Thomas. John S. Tibbs succeeded Jackson about 1880, operated bath house and Eureka Water Shipping Company. Building was destroyed by Great Fire of 1888, . . . — Map (db m59969) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Basin Park Sycamore
I stood here growing so many years, I shared your laughter, I shared your tears. My life was good, beginning to end, and this is a wish I'd like to send. Be happy and kind to all around, and let not sorrow be ever found. The spirit . . . — Map (db m59971) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Berlin WallActual 10 x 10 Section

• Between 1945-1961 2.7 million escaped East Germany • In 1960, 200,000 East Germans escaped to Freedom • Order given to build Wall - Sunday, Aug. 13, 1961 Construction began Aug. 16, 1961; completed 2 mos. later • Initially 6 ft. . . . — Map (db m80171) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Civic CenterSouth Main
These two large limestone public buildings anchor this part of downtown Eureka Springs. They span the deep ravine cut by Leatherwood Creek which flows in a tunnel beneath all the buildings on this entire part of Main Street. [Photo 1.] This . . . — Map (db m59964) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Crescent Hotel & Spa

May 20, 1886... America's newest and most luxurious hotel built at a cost of $294,000.

It was two years ago that Powell Clayton and his associates chose the site of the new Crescent Hotel... twenty seven acres at the north end of West . . . — Map (db m80116) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Perry House - Basin Park Hotel

1884 - Cutter's Guide The Eureka Springs of Arkansas The hotels and boarding houses of Eureka Springs are numerous. The Perry House is the only real first-class hotel in the city; and we say this with no disparagement of the . . . — Map (db m79733) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Railroad Depot

The Eureka Springs Railroad opened in February, 1883. As the first trains arrived at the original station house, a finely crafted wooden structure, passengers were met by horse[-]drawn carriages and hacks which quickly carried them to the best . . . — Map (db m80173) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Southern Hotel
The Southern was built in the year 1880 adjacent to Basin Spring and some 25 feet above it on the hillside. L.M. Rainey of Missouri, its original owner, sold the hotel to W. E. Beatty in 1886, at which time it was acclaimed to be one of the city's . . . — Map (db m59970) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Springs
"It is sometimes called The Basin Springs, and is invariably the first resort for visitors. If there is any one in the city you desire to find, if no other way, go to the Basin Springs, seat yourself comfortable, and await his coming." Prof. . . . — Map (db m63300) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Stone Walls
Eureka Springs claims an estimated fifty-six miles of stone walls. Skilled stonemasons constructed most of the walls between 1885 and 1910. The limestone used was sometimes quarried on site but the majority was transported to the town site by . . . — Map (db m63299) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Western District Courthouse
Eureka Springs was incorporated on Valentine's Day in 1880. At that time, the only courthouse was in the county seat of Berryville, some 12 miles to the east. This was a great distance at the time, the roads were bad, and the King's River had to . . . — Map (db m59962) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — A Gun for All Reasons3-inch Gun was light, accurate and lethal
The 3-inch Ordnance Rifle was also known as the ordnance rifle, the ordnance gun, the Griffen gun, and was sometimes erroneously referred to as the Rodman rifle. The gun was invented by John Griffen, superintendent of the Safe Harbor Iron Works in . . . — Map (db m65711) HM
Arkansas (Marion County), Yellville — Double Turbine Water Wheel
Used to power the Hollinsworth Grist Mill on Little North Fork River in North Fork Township of Marion County. Mill was built by Robert and Lemuel Hollinsworth in 1885 and operated until 1933.

This Leppel or double turbine water wheel and . . . — Map (db m93812) HM

Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — William J. Driver
In memory of the honorable William J. Driver.Former Circuit Judge and Congressman, a lifelong citizen of Osceola, Arkansas. Born March 2, 1873. Died October 1, 1948. As a member of the Rivers and Harbors and Flood Control Committees of the Congress . . . — Map (db m36532) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), North Little Rock — The Old Mill at T. R. Pugh Memorial Park
Dedicated August 6, 1933, as Pugh's Memorial Park, the Old Mill is a replica of an abandoned water-powered grist mill that would have been used by Arkansas pioneers in the 1800s. Although the Old Mill never actually operated as a mill, the iron . . . — Map (db m53181) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — 50 Year Concrete Street Service Award • 1963Fort Smith, Arkansas — General Paving District - 1913

Most 50-Year Old Concrete Streets of Any City in U.S.A. 21.5 Miles — Map (db m92355) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — A National Cemetery System

Civil War Dead An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War between April 1861 and April 1865. As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union . . . — Map (db m92317) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — First National Bank

In 1888, First National Bank built its first bank building, a modest two-story brick building at South Sixth and Garrison. A few years into the 20th century, bank president Samuel McLoud ordered plans drawn up for what would be the tallest . . . — Map (db m92366) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Marble Hall in 1863

Marble Hall, the oldest building on Garrison Avenue, was built in 1859 by Ethelbert Britton Bright. Judging from the surviving newspapers ads, his mercantile store held the very wonders of the world, steadily supplied by steamboats docking at . . . — Map (db m93241) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The New Theatre in 1911

Ten years before the outbreak of the Civil War, the Old Red Mill stood on the future site of the New Theatre. The mill was used as a hospital during the Civil War, was damaged by the 1898 cyclone and finally disappeared around 1908. On the back . . . — Map (db m92362) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Phoenix Block

From 1836 to 1878, the log cabin of Jeremiah and Sophia Kannady stood on the present-day 500 block of Garrison Avenue. In that cabin Kannady's uncle John Rogers, founder of the city, died in 1860. In 1877, Kannady sold land around his cabin to . . . — Map (db m93253) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Vogel & Wallace

In December 1878, Teddy Vogel and Michael C. Wallace bought the old rough hewn log store building and home that had been been [sic] constructed on this lot circa 1845 by Samuel Boothe. They razed the log structure and began building a stout, . . . — Map (db m93246) HM

Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Fayetteville Center Square
The Fayetteville Square served as the location of the Washington County courthouse from 1837 to 1904, when a new courthouse was built facing Center Street on College Avenue. Title to the public square (Block 27) was conveyed to the United States . . . — Map (db m59879) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Replica of the Statue of Liberty

With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States

The Boy Scouts of America

dedicate this copy of the Statue of Liberty as a pledge of everlasting fidelity and and . . . — Map (db m92306) HM

Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — The Razorbacks
Following a 16-0 victory over LSU in Memphis on Nov. 13, 1909, the University of Arkansas football team was greeted at the Fayetteville train station across the street by a crowd of fans and students. Arkansas was 5-0 after the win and would . . . — Map (db m59912) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Will RogersTo The Memory Of
Whose heartfelt understanding of his fellowman made possible the planning of this avenue February 1931 — Map (db m59914) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — 1890 Seawall
This plaque marks the location of an 1890 seawall on the Alameda shoreline. Behind you are the stairs where bathers went down to the beach. The wall was built by architect Joseph A. Leonard, who constructed many homes here during the 1890s. . . . — Map (db m62215) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Municipal PierBerkeley History — 1926
Berkeley's original shoreline was about where Second Street and the eastern side of Aquatic Park are located today. In 1853 a private wharf was built at the foot of what is now Delaware Street, and a working waterfront with factories and piers . . . — Map (db m36487) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — John Hinkel ParkClubhouse: John Gregg, Designer, 1918 — Amphitheater: Vernon Dean, Designer, 1934
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2001 In 1919 John and Ada Hinkel donated seven hillside areas to the City of Berkeley in appreciation of the Boy Scouts’ service to the nation during the First World War. Before making their gift, the . . . — Map (db m53849) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Northbrae Public ImprovementsJohn Galen Howard, Architect; R.A. Mansell, Landscape Architect 1907 — City of Berkeley Landmark - designated in 1992
Berkeley's Northbrae residential subdivision was opened in 1907 by the Mason-McDuffie Company, John Galen Howard - then Supervising Architect of the University of California - designed the Circle and the stairways, benches, and stone pillars used as . . . — Map (db m36674) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — 46 — Vallejo Flour Mill
Site of flour mill, Niles, built 1853 by Don Jose De Vallejo, brother of General Vallejo, on his Rancho Arroyo De La Alameda. Niles was once called "Vallejo Mills". Stone aqueduct carrying water for mill parallels Niles Canyon Road. — Map (db m14801) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — The Creation of a Park
Joaquin Miller Park was formed in 1917 when the City of Oakland and its citizens – led by The California Writers Club – purchased 68 acres from the estate of Joaquin Miller, the noted 19th century “Poet of the Sierras” and . . . — Map (db m71737) HM
California (Alameda County), Piedmont — Eucalyptus AmphitheaterSummer Theater in the Park
“Loves Labor Lost,” a comedy by William Shakespeare, was the first play performed in the Eucalyptus Amphitheater in the spring of 1908. Set in a grove of trees for which it was named, the theater had a unique stage from which some of the . . . — Map (db m72377) HM
California (Alameda County), Piedmont — Faux Bois BenchesStickwork Style a Tradition since 1877
In 1877, a prospectus for home sites in Piedmont Park showed a rustic wooden bench near the Piedmont Springs grotto. This bench began a tradition which was continued when Frank C. Havens renovated the park in 1890s, installing not only rustic . . . — Map (db m72298) HM
California (Alameda County), Piedmont — Piedmont Art GalleryWorld Class Art Museum in the Park
In May 1907, patrons of the arts from around the Bay Area descended on Piedmont Park for the opening of the Piedmont Art Gallery. On display were 375 oil, pastel and watercolor paintings in four separate galleries. Under the guidance of . . . — Map (db m72320) HM
California (Alameda County), Piedmont — Piedmont Park History TrailA Special Gift for Piedmont’s 100th Anniversary
In 1867 the pink mineral springs which oozed from Bushy Dell Canyon began to attract visitors to Piedmont Park and the surrounding community. Generation after generation the park has changed to reflect the community that surrounds it, creating . . . — Map (db m72297) HM
California (Alameda County), Piedmont — Sulphur Springs GrottoThe Healing Powers of Mineral Springs
The first recorded visitor to the sulphur springs grotto is Isaac Holmes, a retired U.S. Senator from South Carolina, who reportedly installed a bathtub in Bushy Dell canyon in the early 1860s in order to take alfresco baths for his rheumatism. . . . — Map (db m72378) HM
California (Alameda County), Piedmont — The CascadeCreating a Lush Tropical Paradise in Piedmont
In her memoir about life in Piedmont, Elsie Whitaker Martinez remembered fishing with her brothers in the Piedmont Heights in the 1880s. A myriad of streams found their way from Alta, Scenic, Pacific and Mountain Avenues. Most fed into the city’s . . . — Map (db m72321) HM
California (Alameda County), Piedmont — The MazeEnglish Hedge Maze Popular in Early 1900s
One of the first improvements made by Frank Havens to Piedmont Springs Park was the construction of a living hedge maze modeled on those like Hampton Court in England. An article in the Oakland Herald in December 1904 shows a winding drive leading . . . — Map (db m72376) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — A Zoo, a Monkey, and a Mansion Here Too!Lake Chabot Historical Walk
Since the operation of Chabot reservoir in 1876, four different water companies have managed the lake. Their staff led colorful lives on this hill as they kept an eye on this valuable resource. In 1904, William Dingee, then head of CCWC, tore . . . — Map (db m71707) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Chabot Dam
Chabot Dam, originally called San Leandro Dam, was built by Anthony Chabot who started Contra Coast Water Company in 1868. When artesian wells and Temescal and Sausal Creeks failed to bring Oakland and surrounding cities enough water he decided to . . . — Map (db m71714) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Filtration BasinsLake Chabot Historical Walk
Public outcry led Oakland councilman George Pardee, who later became Governor of California, to campaign Contra Costa Water Company for a clean reliable water system. The Hyatt filters were installed, along with pump houses and filtration basins, to . . . — Map (db m71653) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Giant Water FiltersLake Chabot Historical Walk
The giant drums in front of you were designed and built in 1888 as part of the filtration plant that processed water from Lake Chabot. Water was forced through these sand filters to remove impurities. Named after the engineer who designed them, the . . . — Map (db m71649) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Lake Chabot Historical WalkWelcome time travelers!
In February 1874 a large Chinese work force entered this woodland setting to begin construction of San Leandro Reservoir. Later renamed Lake Chabot after its French-Canadian originator Anthony Chabot, the dam was built using techniques Chabot . . . — Map (db m71648) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Memorial to the Chinese LaborersLake Chabot Historical Walk
The Alameda County Historical Society dedicates this panel to: Ah Bing – 41, Kim Yuen – 29, Toy Sing – 31, and Lock Sing – 33, who died outside this tunnel. This panel is also dedicated to the countless unnamed and . . . — Map (db m71651) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Taming the Waters’ FlowLake Chabot Historical Walk
“Aha!” exclaimed Anthony Chabot It was spring of 1866 when he saw the raging waters of San Leandro Creek collide with Grass Valley Creek. He studied the vast surrounding watershed and determined it could nourish a reservoir year-round. . . . — Map (db m71712) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — To Build a Dam
Underneath the lake lies evidence of the dams construction. The steps on this panel and the next one show how hands and hooves toiled to complete this engineering feat in 1892. The rest of this marker consists of three illustration . . . — Map (db m71734) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Transporting the Water
The Transporting the Water marker consists of an illustration and two photographs accompanied by captions. They captions are presented here, left to right. Click on the image to enlarge it. Hydraulicing: Hydraulics were used to . . . — Map (db m71733) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Tunnel No. 1 Control ShaftLake Chabot Historical Walk
The stone structure before you is a 157 foot vertical control shaft. It joins to Tunnel No. 1 to open and close the flow of water running through the tunnel pipes. Two known accidents took place at this site. Tunnel No. 1 collapsed on two Chinese . . . — Map (db m71908) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Alpine County Courthouse
This building was designed by Frederic J. DeLongchamp, a designer and engineer of mining, born in Reno, Nevada, on June 2, 1882 and educated in Nevada. He designed 500 buildings, libraries, hotels, and post offices in the counties of the State of . . . — Map (db m635) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — 867 — Preston Castle
The “Castle,” Built in 1890–1894, is the most significant example of Romanesque Revival architecture in the Mother Lode. It was built to house the Preston School of Industry. Established by the State Legislature as a progressive . . . — Map (db m2046) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Massa (Tunnel) Adit
The Massa Tunnel was dug in the 1850’s on Massa Brothers' land. The tunnel extends 126’ into the east vein of the Mother Lode. Little gold was found. The Kennedy Mine acquired the property in 1898. It and the Argonaut mined the richer west vein . . . — Map (db m44587) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — NR07000507 — William J. Paugh House
The William J. Paugh House, also known as Rosewall, is a very pure example of a Gothic Revival House. The style was most popular during the 1840's and 1850's. It was built in the late 1850's by Charles L. Parish, artist, architect and builder. . . . — Map (db m28067) HM
California (Amador County), Kit Carson — Peddler Hill Overlook
This marker is made up of three separate panels. [Panel 1:] The Road From a narrow dirt wagon road to a scenic byway, the Carson Route has evolved over time to meet the needs of generations of travelers and our changing means of . . . — Map (db m45050) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — Benny Brown Arena
A lifelong fourth generation rancher from Ione with summer ranges in the mountains near Kirkwood, Benny Brown made his first appearance in this arena in 1951 at the age of 13. The event was cattle penning. His mother was his partner, and he won it. . . . — Map (db m42453) HM
California (Calaveras County), Dorrington — Dorrington Hotel
Built in 1860 by John and Rebecca Gardner, this was a stage coach stop on the Big Trees Carson Valley Road. A toll road from 1862 – 1910. The hotel served as a depot for stockmen and as a summer resort. Noted for its ice cold springs, it . . . — Map (db m57983) HM
California (Calaveras County), White Pines — White Pines History
White Pines was constructed by American Forest Properties, Inc. at the site of former White Pines operation of Blagen Lumber Co. The community of White Pines, which was founded by Frank Blagen, the company president, came into being during the . . . — Map (db m34571) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — El Dorado County Jails
Coloma’s first jail was made of logs and was located around the corner on High Street. The second jail, built in 1855, quickly proved to be too small, and this stone-block prison was erected. It was used from 1857 until 1862. The metal cell that . . . — Map (db m12228) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Mining Ditches
Mining ditches were dug by ditch companies to carry vast amounts of water needed for placer mining. Thousands of miles of ditches and flumes were built in the gold country; some brought immense profits to their owners. As mining declined in the . . . — Map (db m17484) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Robert Bell's Store
Most of Coloma's buildings were wooden, but some were were made of brick or stone to resist fire. This one, known as "Bells Brick Store," was a general merchandise store that also sold feed and grain. The U.S. Post Office was located in this . . . — Map (db m12207) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Sierra Nevada House(Site of)
The Sierra Nevada House was a handsome two-story building with many windows and a broad balcony. Here guests could always expect fine hospitality, suburb food, excellent ballroom music, fine carriages and comfortable beds. It was opened by Robert . . . — Map (db m12237) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Sutter Mill Replica
This replica of Sutter’s Mill was based on research from many sources – a drawing by James Marshall, an old photograph of the mill, and the results of several excavations made on the original mill site. The building is 60 feet long, 20 feet . . . — Map (db m12206) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Sutter Mill Timbers
John Sutter’s mill was not used after 1850 and it deteriorated rapidly. The flood of 1862 destroyed the above ground remains of the structure. In 1924 the original mill site was located and the mill monument was built. Major excavations in 1947 . . . — Map (db m12222) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Thomas MaulSuperior Judge — 1885 – 1954
Lawyer This plaque is a memorial To our beloved citizen Who sponsored this park and many other civic improvements — Map (db m13172) HM
California (El Dorado County), Pollock Pines — Jenkinson Lake
Honoring Walter E. Jenkinson our fellow citizen who dedicated his life to this project which brought water to our city and fertile lands. Dedicated by Rotary Club of Pollock Pines 1990 — Map (db m851) HM
California (Fresno County), Coalinga — Motte FountainIn appreciation from Vince and Lois Motte
Vince Motte was born at home in Coalinga on the 6th of August, 1913. He is the youngest son of Westside pioneers Baptiste and Josephine Motte. Baptiste homesteaded, what is now Motte Canyon in the Jacalitos Hills south of Coalinga. Later he . . . — Map (db m64022) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 916 — Forestiere Underground Gardens
Here, beneath the hot, arid surface of the San Joaquin Valley, Baldasare Forestiere (1879-1946) began in the early 1900's to sculpt a fantastic retreat. Excavating the hardpan by hand, he created a unique complex of underground rooms, passages and . . . — Map (db m41003) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 20 — Moses J. Church
The Father of Fresno Irrigation. He was born in New York State in 1819, became a blacksmith and emigrated to California in 1852. He came to Fresno County in 1868 and employed by A. Y. Easterby, built the first irrigation system for lush fields of . . . — Map (db m71793) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — The Fresno Water TowerAn American Water Landmark
Designed by architect George S. Mayer of Chicago, Illinois. It was completed in November 1894, replacing two wooden tanks erected on this site in 1887. The Tower stands 100 feet high with a tank capacity of 250,000 gallons. This facility, modeled . . . — Map (db m41069) HM
California (Fresno County), Hume Lake — Technology in Timber County...a Better Way to Build a Dam
Having water around a sawmill is a good thing. It’s easier to move logs and lumber, and put out fires. The Hume-Bennett Lumber Company found this site near good timber and decided a reservoir would make there operation more efficient. The problem . . . — Map (db m44303) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — August Palmtag Building
— 1893 — August Palmtag Building Queen Anne Architecture Residences, offices; Adorni Grocery, cigar store; Pacific, Cooper Pharmacies; Levy, Canepa, Danielson & Petersen Men’s Stores Eureka Historic Landmark This . . . — Map (db m1504) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Clarke Memorial Museum
Dedicated to the memory of my parents Joseph H. & Annie F. Clarke and other pioneers of Northwestern California by Cecile Clarke Dedicated August 21, 1960 by the Native Sons of the Golden West — Map (db m1505) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Italianate Architecture
— c1880 — Italianate Architecture Built for J. McLauchlan, restaurant, saloons downstairs; alpine rooms upstairs; one of the longest operating bordellos Eureka Historic Landmark This program possible through a . . . — Map (db m1507) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — J. Lowenthal Building
— 1879 — J. Lowenthal Building American Ecclectic Iron front cast by Eureka Foundry; men's clothier and furnishings, Louvre Cafe, saloons Eureka Historic Landmark This program possible through a partnership with . . . — Map (db m1508) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — The Carson House
This home, also known as the “Pink Lady,” is a classic Queen Anne/Eastlake Victorian residence designed by the prestigious architectural firm of Newsom Brothers of San Francisco. It was completed in 1889 for William Carson, a pioneer . . . — Map (db m1498) HM
California (Humboldt County), Redcrest — Sam Helwer1913 – 1991
Sam Helwer, the son of German-Russian immigrants, began his life on a small dairy farm in Russell, Kansas. In 1936 he began his career with the California Division of Highways as an Engineering Aide. By the 1940's he was Project Engineer for the . . . — Map (db m1558) HM
California (Humboldt County), Shelter Cove — Cape Mendocino Lighthouse
Lit Dec. 1, 1868, the light from its first order Fresnel lens swept 30 miles to sea. Decommissioned in 1951, the structure slowly began to inch toward the 422’ cliff. The light was dismantled in 1998 and moved to Point Delgada, Shelter Cove by the . . . — Map (db m1093) HM
California (Imperial County), Jacumba — 939 — Desert Tower
Bert Vaughn of Jacumba built the stone tower in 1922-23 to commemorate the pioneers and road and railroad builders who opened the area. In the 1930s W.T. Ratcliffe carved the stone animal figures which lurk in the rocks surrounding the tower, . . . — Map (db m50214) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — 845 — Plank Road1914 - 1927
This unique plank road seven miles long was the only mens early motorists had for crossing the treacherous Imperial Sand Dunes. The eight by twelve foot sections were moved with a team of horses whenever the shifting sands covered portions of the . . . — Map (db m50682) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — The Plank RoadPlanks, Mules, and Model Ts
The Plank Road once provided the only means of crossing the treacherous Imperial Sand Dunes. This historic road spurred settlement of Imperial County and development of San Diego at the start of the automobile age. — Map (db m50618) HM
California (Inyo County), Aspendell — Power for the Diggins
With the discovery of gold and silver in Nevada at Goldfield and Tonopah, the need for electric power for mining operations was fulfilled in September, 1905, by construction of a hydro-electric plant on Bishop Creek, which supplied 1,300 kilowatts . . . — Map (db m629) HM
California (Inyo County), Death Valley — Keane Wonder Mine
During the first two decades of this century the Keane Wonder Mine was the scene of major investment and development. The products of this labor were the riches - gold and silver. About 1903, Jack Keane, prospector, discovered gold in this area . . . — Map (db m93677) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — Alabama Gates
The Alabama Gates and gate house were constructed in 1913 when the Los Angeles Aqueduct was built to dewater the aqueduct when maintenance is necessary. On November 16, 1924, seventy or more local citizens seized the aqueduct at the Alabama Gates . . . — Map (db m93252) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 508 — Tehachapi Loop
From this spot may be seen a portion of the world-renowned “Loop.” It was completed in 1876 under the direction of William Hood, Southern Pacific Railroad Engineer. In gaining elevation around central hill of loop a 4000 foot train will . . . — Map (db m11903) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Tehachapi Pass Railroad LineConstructed 1874 – 1876 — Commemorated October 1998
In front of you is the world famous Tehachapi Loop which is about halfway upgrade to the Tehachapi Pass. This steep line averages 2.2% in gradient in its 28 miles of length. This feat of civil engineering genius was crowning achievement of civil . . . — Map (db m11910) HM
California (Kings County), Lemoore — 206 — El Adobe de Los Robles Ranchos
This restored adobe, second oldest in San Joaquin Valley, built by Daniel Rhoades, who came to California in 1846 by overland caravan. Rhoades and his brother, John, among organizers of the first expedition to rescue the Donner party at Donner Lake. . . . — Map (db m66412) HM
California (Los Angeles County), El Monte — The Frederick G. Exner Memorial WindmillErected February 17, 2000
Donated by Frederick G. Exner to the El Monte Historical Society Historical Artifact to Compliment the Osmund House Facility This "The Aermotor Company" windmill was first erected in Gore, North Dakota, in April 1916, and served as a sole . . . — Map (db m51290) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — 1014 — Long Beach Marine Stadium
Created in 1932 for the rowing events of the Xth Olympiad, the Stadium was the first manmade rowing course in the United States. Its width allowed four teams to race abreast, eliminating additional heats and allowing oarsmen to enter the finals at . . . — Map (db m2614) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills, Los Angeles — Mission Dam
Rubble masonry water storage dam built by San Fernando Mission Indians in 1808. Water Flowed to the mission via a tiled pipe. Marked by El Camino Real Parlor No. 324 Native Daughters of the Golden West March 11, 1972 — Map (db m72610) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Redondo Beach — 5 — The Plunge and ... The Lightning Racer
As the 1890s evolved into the Roaring '20s, people came by train, Red Car or Model T to enjoy Redondo Beach's advertised "clean water" at The Plunge and to experience the thrill of riding the Lightning Racer roller Coaster. The Moorish . . . — Map (db m93437) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — Joseph Chapman’s Millrace
This is the location where the millrace turned due south, carrying water another 200 feet from this point into Chapman’s grist mill, built in 1822-25. The spring-fed water supply that flowed through the millrace came from two sources: Mission Lake . . . — Map (db m79460) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Friendship Bell — Korean Bell of Friendship and Bell Pavilion, Angels Gate Park
The friendship bell, overlooking the Pacific Ocean, was presented as a gift from the people of the Republic of Korea to the people of the United States of America on the occasion of the American Bicentennial Jubilee to further the friendship and . . . — Map (db m51064) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — 98001633 — The Warner Grand Theatre
Opened as the Warner Brothers Theatre on January 20, 1931, it was designed by architect B. Marcus Priteca and interior designer Anthony B. Heinsbergen and was the first sound-equipped theater in the South Bay. Jack Warner called it "The castle of . . . — Map (db m81922) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Watts — Watts TowersNational Historic Landmark — [Watts Towers of Simon Rodia State Historic Park]
Panel 1: Watts Towers California Historical Landmark No. 993 Panel 2: Unconventional Life, Unconventional Art Simon Rodia has been referred to as a visionary and a man of great passion. A self-taught laborer from . . . — Map (db m51953) HM
California (Madera County), Oakhurst — Madera Sugar Pine Flume
Taking two years to construct and opening in August 1876, The flume ran 52 miles from Sugar Pine Sawmill to the Planing mill and railroad in Madera. This wooden flume transported lumber and loggers to Madera across deep canyons, streams and . . . — Map (db m84537) HM
California (Marin County), Inverness — Point Reyes Light Station
Point Reyes Light Station, built 1870, has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m890) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Burdell Mansion
A major significant change occurred in 1911 when James Burdell (Galen and Mary’s son) hired a contractor for the then princely sun of $15,000 to expand and convert the wood frame building into a 26-room mansion. Interior fireplaces and a second . . . — Map (db m12176) HM
California (Mariposa County), Fish Camp — The Surviving Tunnel Tree
Walk through this living tree and look for evidence of it heeling itself. Bark of this sequoia is growing inward in an attempt to close over its wound — the large tunnel carved in 1895. Thought to have served as a lower elevation winter . . . — Map (db m84231) HM
California (Mariposa County), Yosemite National Park — The Grand Lodge
The first director of the National Park Service, Stephen T. Mather, was as at home in the High Sierra as he was in high society. To ensure Yosemite’s protection for future generations, he knew that influential people would have to care about the . . . — Map (db m65504) HM
California (Mendocino County), Fort Bragg — The Weller House
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior [Statement of Significance: 1886; Frame; clapboarding; 2 1/2 stories; modified rectangle; hipped roof with hipped dormers; . . . — Map (db m12025) HM
California (Mendocino County), Mendocino — Point Cabrillo Light Station
The Point Cabrillo Light Station was built in 1908 by the US Lighthouse Service to protect the "Doghole Schooners" that plied the lumber trade between San Francisco and the Redwood Coast. These steam ships and sailing vessels were known for their . . . — Map (db m543) HM
California (Merced County), Los Banos — Guglielmo Marconi1874 - 1937
Who giving voice to silence benefitted the world irradiating a new glorious light upon Italy I Figli D'Italia of Los Banos Devoted to their great country of adoption but unforgetful of their mother country, in perpetual . . . — Map (db m41187) HM
California (Modoc County), Cedarville — 14 — Cressler - Bonner Trading PostCalifornia Historical Landmark No. 14
The first building erected in Deep Creek settlement, now Cedarville, was built in 1865 as a trading post by James Townsend, who was killed in an indian fight it 1866. Purchased by William T. Cressler and John H. Bonner in 1867, the building was . . . — Map (db m10245) HM
California (Mono County), Benton — Aurora and Owens River Wagon Road
Established by the Nevada Territorial Legislature February 20, 1864 Rates of Toll Wagon with two animals $1.00 Carriage and one animal $.75 Each additional animal $.25 Empty teams returning half price Saddle animals each $.25 . . . — Map (db m20732) HM
California (Mono County), Lee Vining — Upside-Down House
A distinctive local landmark and nationally renowned tourist attraction. It was the creation of - Nellie Bly O’Bryan (1893–1984), visionary, entrepreneur and long time resident of the Mono Basin. Originally, located along US-395 north of . . . — Map (db m10167) HM
California (Mono County), Lee Vining — West Portal
East of this site was located West Portal, the largest of 4 'camps' or company towns, built in 1934 by the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power for employees and their families who worked on the Mono Basin Project. At the height of . . . — Map (db m8173) HM
California (Mono County), Mammoth — Dave McCoy
Pioneering Eastern Sierra skier, visionary and entrepreneur, Dave McCoy's passion for skiing began in high school and soon thereafter he joined the Eastern Sierra Ski Culb. In 1936, Dave was hired by LADWP as a hydrographer, conducting snow . . . — Map (db m59340) HM
California (Monterey County), King City — 232 — Mission San Antonio de Padua23 Miles
Founded by Father Junipero Serra July 14, 1774. Most picturesque setting. First mass was celebrated in presence of one Indian. Later congregation grew to a thousand neophytes. Famous for its fine horses and expert vaqueros. — Map (db m63651) HM

3945 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers were listed. Next 3695
Paid Advertisement
Categories20th CenturyAbolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansAgricultureAir & SpaceAnimalsAntebellum South, USAnthropologyArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicAsian AmericansBridges & ViaductsCemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public WorkChurches, Etc.Civil RightsColonial EraCommunicationsDisastersEducationEntertainmentEnvironmentExplorationForts, CastlesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernmentHeroesHispanic AmericansHorticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceLabor UnionsLandmarksMan-Made FeaturesMilitaryNative AmericansNatural FeaturesNatural ResourcesNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesPaleontologyPatriots & PatriotismPeacePolitical SubdivisionsPoliticsRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesScience & MedicineSettlements & SettlersSportsWar of 1812War, 1st Iraq & Desert StormWar, 2nd IraqWar, AfghanistanWar, ColdWar, French and IndianWar, KoreanWar, Mexican-AmericanWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, Texas IndependenceWar, US CivilWar, US RevolutionaryWar, VietnamWar, World IWar, World IIWars, Non-USWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels
States or ProvincesAlabamaAlaskaAlbertaArizonaArkansasBritish ColumbiaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareDistrict of ColumbiaFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineManitobaMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew BrunswickNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNewfoundland and LabradorNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaNova ScotiaOhioOklahomaOntarioOregonPennsylvaniaPrince Edward IslandPuerto RicoQuebecRhode IslandSaskatchewanSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyomingYukon Territory
CountriesArgentinaAustraliaAustriaBahamasBelgiumBelizeBrazilCanadaChinaCosta RicaCzech RepublicDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEstoniaFinlandFranceGermanyGreeceGrenadaGuatemalaGuyanaHondurasHungaryIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaKiribatiLiechtensteinLuxembourgMalaysiaMexicoNetherlands AntillesNew ZealandNicaraguaPalestinian TerritoriesPhilippinesRussiaSaint LuciaScotland, UKSingaporeSouth AfricaSouth KoreaSwedenSwitzerlandThailandTurkeyTurks and Caicos IslandsU.S Virgin IslandsUkraineUnited KingdomUnited States of America