Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Roads & Vehicles Historical Markers

3447 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 3247
 
Autaugaville Marker image, Click for more information
By Mark Hilton, August 26, 2013
Autaugaville Marker
Alabama (Autauga County), Autaugaville — AutaugavilleIntersection of Autauga and Academy Streets — "America's First Crossroad"
Robert Ripley's world-wide syndicated Believe It Or Not! column for July 31, 1935 read: "C. D. Abbott is the first citizen of the U.S.A. He is first alphabetically in Autaugaville, the first town in Autauga, the first county in Alabama, the . . . — Map (db m68839) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Happy Hollow
Known as Fair Road, Sixth Street from Northington Street to the big curve was called “Happy Hollow”. The road went to the Fair home place but also curved right, into Warren Circle. Here stood a small frame church where the congregation’s . . . — Map (db m70800) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Old Plank RoadCirca 1840's
The plank road was constructed of large pine logs, sawed lengthwise and laid round-side down. Daniel Pratt built the road for public benefit and to provide transportation from the Pratt Cotton Gin Factory to Washington on the Alabama River. Over . . . — Map (db m27983) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — General Grierson’s March
This road marks the entrance into Eufaula of Federal Troops on April 29, 1865. Lee had surrendered at Appomattox, Virginia on April 9. General Benjamin H. Grierson was advancing with four thousand cavalry from Mobile and was then about at . . . — Map (db m82872) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Blues Old Stand — Three Notch Road
Side 1 Built by U.S. Army engineers over the summer of 1824, Three Notch Road has served as Bullock County’s major transportation route throughout its history. It was constructed to facilitate military communication between Pensacola . . . — Map (db m89638) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Three Notch — Three Notch Road
Side 1 Built by U.S. Army engineers over the summer of 1824, Three Notch Road has served as Bullock County’s major transportation route throughout its history. It was constructed to facilitate military communication between Pensacola . . . — Map (db m89637) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Anniston — Freedom Riders
On May 14, 1961, a Greyhound bus left Atlanta, GA carrying among its passengers seven members of the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE), a.k.a. the “Freedom Riders,” on a journey to test interstate bus segregation. The bus was met by an . . . — Map (db m35737) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Whatley — Old Indian Trail
Here passed the Old Indian Trail used as a dividing line between the Choctaw and Creek Tribes. General Andrew Jackson and his troops rested here for the night in 1813. — Map (db m47633) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Whatley — Old Line Road
Commences at the Cut-Off, or the first high ground in that vicinity, follows the watershed between the Alabama and Tombigbee Rivers, and ends at Choctaw Corner. Established in 1808 by the Creek and Choctaw Indians as the dividing line between their . . . — Map (db m47628) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Cherokee — Colbert Ferry
This scene would have occurred far below the surface of the lake you see now. From 1802 to 1819, George Colbert operated a ferry across the quarter-mile breadth of the powerful Tennessee River. The ferry carried mail, militia, settlers, Indians and . . . — Map (db m84705) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Cherokee — Levi Colbert Stand
Levi Colbert, a Chickasaw Chief, operated a stand near here that served Old Trace travelers in the early 1800's. Adjacent to this area was a spring which provided an abundant water supply. — Map (db m84708) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Muscle Shoals — Howell & Graves School
Marker Front: Muscle Shoals City was incorporated on April 24, 1923. Among the leading developers were New York realtors A.L. Howell and C.T. Graves. Their interest in Muscle Shoals was inspired by the vision of Henry Ford to use power from . . . — Map (db m28580) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Sheffield — Old Railroad Bridge
(obverse) In 1832, the Alabama legislature authorized the Florence Bridge Company to construct this bridge across the Tennessee River. In 1840, it opened as a toll bridge. Twice damaged by storms, it was reopened in 1858 as a double-decked . . . — Map (db m40596) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Jackson's Military Road
Side 1 After the Battle of New Orleans in 1815, General Andrew Jackson proposed this road as a shorter and improved route for military movements between Nashville and New Orleans. The U.S. War Department authorized Jackson to appoint an . . . — Map (db m83401) HM
Alabama (Conecuh County), Bermuda — Old Federal Road
Near Bermuda was the home of Jeremiah Austill, who won fame in the canoe fight on the Alabama River during the Creek Indian War. His first wife, Sarah, died of injuries from falling off a fence during an Indian raid. — Map (db m81280) HM
Alabama (Conecuh County), Midway — Old Federal Road
For a few months between 1811—1818 the nationally infamous highwayman, Joseph Thompson Hare, operated with his gang along the Federal Road. They headquartered at Turk's Cave near Brooklyn in Conecuh County. In his confession he referred to the . . . — Map (db m81282) HM
Alabama (Conecuh County), Pine Orchard — Old Federal RoadFort Warren
Site of Fort Warren, built in 1816 by Colonel Richard Warren, who owned considerable land in this vicinity. This facility was used as a refuge for settlers who feared for their lives in the early days of the aftermath of the Creek Indian Wars of . . . — Map (db m47689) HM
Alabama (Conecuh County), Repton — Old Federal Road
Duncan MacMillan’s stage stop was located near here. According to traveler James Stuart in 1830, he (Duncan) “did not taste fermented liquor” and “thought coffee was the best stimulant.” Mr. McMillan came from Scotland and . . . — Map (db m81278) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusia — Three Notch Road / Hank and Audrey Williams
[Side A:] Three Notch Road Established 1824 The Three Notch Road was a 90-mile section of a 230-mile military road to connect Pensacola with Fort Mitchell in Russell County on the Chattahoochee River. Capt. Daniel E. . . . — Map (db m83456) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — Vine Street
Vine Street was Cahawba's business district. Stores, offices and hotels were tightly packed together along these three blocks. Homes were scattered over an entire square mile. Nearly every house had a yard of one or two acres. — Map (db m83520) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Attalla — “The Junction”Attalla
For thousands of years, two important Indian trade routes ran across what was to become Etowah County. The “High Town Path” ran from Charlestown, S.C. west to the Mississippi River, near Memphis, TN. The “Creek Path” begins . . . — Map (db m39226) HM
Alabama (Franklin County), Russellville — Russellville
Incorporated on November 27, 1819, three weeks before Alabama achieved statehood, Russellville was platted around the intersection of two historic roads. Edmund Pendleton Gaines began work on the road that would bear his name on December 26, . . . — Map (db m83750) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Roebuck Spring
In 1850 George James Roebuck and his wife Ann Hawkins Roebuck built a log cabin at the mouth of Roebuck Spring. His Influence and leadership led to the area around it to be known as Roebuck. In 1900 Alabama Boys Industrial School was located . . . — Map (db m26688) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Roebuck Springs Historic District
Roebuck Springs was the first large residential suburb in Birmingham where planning and development were tied to the automobile, and the first community in the city associated with a golf course development. The 1910 land plan was designed to . . . — Map (db m26684) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Edgewood Lake (Drained 1940's) Birmingham Motor & Country Club / Edgewood Country Club(Demolished 1930's)
The developers of the Town of Edgewood, Stephen Smith and Troupe Brazelton, built the beautiful 117.4 acre lake and clubhouse in 1913-15. Amenities included a swimming pool, dance pavilion, fishing, boating and parking for hundreds of automobiles. . . . — Map (db m26963) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Union Hill Cemetery, Union Hill Methodist Episcopal Church, Union Hill School
This cemetery is the final resting place of many of Shades Valley's pioneer residents. A few of the earliest headstones date from the mid-1850s. Descendants of these settlers helped mold the cities of Mountain Brook and Homewood. Located on property . . . — Map (db m26294) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Shades Crest Road Historical District
Indian, Wagon Trail, now Shades Crest Road, led to popular chalybeate springs. Summit, now Bluff Park, was a resort known for its view, cool air and healing mineral water. In 1899 school / church was built. In 1909 Bluff Park Hotel, built on land . . . — Map (db m27311) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Shades Crest Road Historical District
Indian, Wagon Trail, now Shades Crest Road, led to popular chalybeate springs. Summit, now Bluff Park, was a resort known for its view, cool air and healing mineral water. In 1899 school / church was built. In 1909 Bluff Park Hotel, built on land . . . — Map (db m28517) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Andrew Jackson's Military Road-1817-
Construction of this road, as ordered by General Andrew Jackson, began in May 1817 by troops of the U.S. Army for national defense purposes. Beginning near Nashville, Tennessee and continuing to Madison, Louisiana, it shortened the distance from . . . — Map (db m80321) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Jackson's Military Road
Built by Andrew Jackson, 1816~1820. Shortened by 200 miles the route from Nashville to New Orleans for movement of supply wagons and artillery. Built with U.S. funds and troops. Followed in part Doublehead's Road from Columbia, Tenn., to Muscle . . . — Map (db m65290) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Rogersville — Covington/Second Creek / Wheeler Dam/Lake
(side 1) Covington/Second Creek Goodsprings Church This site, one mile east of Elgin, has been referred to as “The Indian Mound.” There were white landowners here as early as 1833. Prior to 1936, there was a . . . — Map (db m79914) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Courtland — Early Roads / One of the South's First Railroads 1832
Side A Tennessee Street along the north side of the square was originally part of Gaines’ Trace, a horse path laid out in 1807 under the direction of Capt. Edmund Pendleton Gaines of the U. S. Army. From Melton’s Bluff on the Tennessee . . . — Map (db m29056) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Moulton — Cheatham Road
Wyatt Cheatham (1769-1856) was one of the early settlers of Lawrence County and bought land near Wren in 1818. The Alabama Legislature on 14 Dec 1824 authorized him, "to open out and make a road leading from at or near the Gum Pond in said county to . . . — Map (db m84310) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — North Side of Square
The second Confederate Monument was erected in June 1912. This view shows the intersection of Market and Marion streets. The 4-H'ers parade their cattle on the courthouse lawn in 1959. Judges were on hand to give a blue ribbon for the best . . . — Map (db m93881) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Shorter — Shorter, AlabamaA New Town in an Older Community
Shorter was originally called Cross Keys for the birthplace in South Carolina of an early settler, J.H. Howard. It was later named Shorter for former Alabama Governor John Gill Shorter. The town embodies the memories of the proud Creek Indian . . . — Map (db m85463) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Hotel Monte Sano“Monte Sano” – Spanish for “Mountain of Health”
Site of Hotel Monte Sano, built in 1887 by the North Alabama Improvement Company with the assistance of Michael and James O’Shaughnessy. The 233-room hotel opened on June 1, 1887 and served as a health resort and haven for famous visitors including . . . — Map (db m27796) HM
Alabama (Marion County), Hamilton — General Jackson's Military Road
Andrew Jackson returned victorious from the Battle of New Orleans along this path to Tennessee after the War of 1812. Already in use by 1812, it was improved with federal funds in 1816. The road handled foot, horse, wagon, and stagecoach traffic and . . . — Map (db m96483) HM
Alabama (Marion County), Hamilton — Hamilton, Alabama
Side 1 Hamilton was established on November 17, 1882 and was named in honor of Capt. Albert James Hamilton. Hamilton was first known as "Toll Gate," named for a toll gate on the Jackson Military Road. The original county seat of Marion . . . — Map (db m96479) HM
Alabama (Marion County), Hamilton — Toll Gate
Side 1 {Map of Early Toll Gate Area Hamilton, Alabama County Seat Location} Captain Albert J. Hamilton, Judge Terrell's son-in-law, petitioned the Alabama legislature for a new county seat election. Toll Gate won the . . . — Map (db m96793) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Arab — Bear Meat Cabin Road
Starting as an ancient Indian trail, the north–south road through Arab in 1816 was known as Bear Meat Cabin Road. By 1818, it had become an important Federal trade route through the Alabama Territory known as the St. Stephens – . . . — Map (db m40134) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Bettie Hunter House
Built in 1878 in the Italianate style. In 1852, Bettie Hunter was born a slave in Dallas County, Alabama and later moved to Mobile after the Civil War. She and her brother, Henry Hunter, had a profitable carriage business in downtown Mobile. She . . . — Map (db m86389) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mt. Vernon — Mt. Vernon Federal Highway
In 1811, the Mount Vernon Cantonment, located on a hill about three miles west of the Mobile River, was laid out by Col. Thomas H. Cushing. The cantonment was on the site of a spring called Mount Vernon Springs. In 1814, the garrison at Mt. Vernon . . . — Map (db m85911) HM
Alabama (Monroe County), Burnt Corn — Old Federal RoadBurnt Corn
Burnt Corn, Monroe County's earliest settlement, became the crossroads of the Great Pensacola Trading Path and The Federal Road. Settler Jim Cornells returned from Pensacola in 1813, finding his home destroyed and his wife kidnapped by a Creek . . . — Map (db m47687) HM
Alabama (Monroe County), Shackleville — Old Federal Road
North of Salem Cemetery and the former church was the site of Price's Hotel, the first place to spend the night on the Federal Road after Greenville. Mr Price was also the stagecoach driver for this section between Greenville and his hotel. Mrs . . . — Map (db m84986) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 5 — Highway Construction Destroys Historic Black NeighborhoodsSelma to Montgomery National Historic Trail — The Cloverleaf beneath Interstates 65 and 85
The Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956, signed into law by President Dwight D. Eisenhower, authorized the construction of 41,000 miles of the Interstate Highway System over a ten year period - the largest public works project in American history to . . . — Map (db m91465) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Teague Road
This 2.8-mile road connecting U.S. highways 331 and 31 first appeared on Montgomery County road maps in 1928. Land for the road was deeded to Montgomery County in September 1926 by local landowners from the Teague, Bellingrath and Matthews families. . . . — Map (db m70932) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pintlala — 5 — Federal Road, 1805,
Federal Road, 1805, between Milledgeville, Ga. and St. Stephens, Ala. crossed here. Manac's Tavern was two miles west. — Map (db m39770) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pintlala — The Federal Road / Manac's Tavern
Side 1 The Federal Road The 1803 Louisiana Purchase acquired 828,000 sq. mi. for the U.S., doubling its size. The Federal Road was built to provide a shorter route from Washington to New Orleans and the new territory. The Treaty . . . — Map (db m71535) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — 7 — Two Bridges Across The Tennessee River“A Hard Nut To Crack” — The Battle For Decatur
In 1860, the Memphis and Charleston Railroad was the only east-west route through the United States south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Maintaining control of this rail line was essential to Confederate strategy. Union Brigadier General Ormsby Mitchell . . . — Map (db m28262) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — The Great Pensacola Trading Path
In the early 1800s, south Alabama was still inhabited by many groups of Native Americans: Creek, Chickasaw, and Choctaw among others. They traveled, hunted, traded, and made war on the many ancient trails here. European settlers improved these roads . . . — Map (db m95359) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Three Notch Road
Built by U.S. Army, 1824, from Ft. Barrancas, at Pensacola to Ft. Bainbridge, S.E. of Tuskegee. Here it joined Federal Road leading to Ft. Mitchell in Russell County. Road followed Indian trade trail Became main road . . . — Map (db m76745) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Vandiver — Sidney Word Lee(1864-1944)
Founder of Buffalo Rock Company (1901) in Birmingham and creator of Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale, a medicinal tonic first used in the Civil War. Lee's vision and influential support inspired the construction of this road across Double Oak Mountain . . . — Map (db m52693) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Willys Jeep
In 1940, the U.S. Army put out a call to automobile manufacturers to produce a fast, lightweight, all terrain vehicle. The answer came in the form of the Willys MB. The Jeep was instrumental in World War II, the Korean War, and Vietnam. This . . . — Map (db m35515) HM
Alabama (Wilcox County), Catherine — Postal Routes of 1820
Two miles north of this point was the intersection of two important postal routes of early Alabama, the Saint Stephens-Cahawba Road and the Tuskaloosa-Prairie Bluff Road. — Map (db m38495) HM
Alaska (Fairbanks North Star Borough), Faribanks — Cushman Street
“Instead of row after row of empty houses (Dawson), they are building new stores. The place is alive and busy-a little too crowded when we got there.” – a tourist in Fairbanks, 1928 — Map (db m47406) HM
Alaska (Matanuska-Susitna Borough), Wasilla — BaltoIditarod Trail Sled Dog Race
Dedicated to the indomitable spirit of the sled dogs of the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race. “The Last Great Race on Earth” Endurance • Fidelity • Intelligence Dedicated the first Saturday of March, 2012 Historic replica of . . . — Map (db m80411) HM
Alaska (Matanuska-Susitna Borough), Wasilla — Father of the IditarodJoe Redington, Sr. — Iditarod Trail Race Headquarters
Joe Redington, Sr. Born in Oklahoma, February 1, 1917 • Died in Alaska, June 24, 1999 Joe was an accomplished man; homesteader, big- game guide. bush pilot, commercial fisherman, boat builder, fish- plant manager, and mountain . . . — Map (db m80410) HM
Alaska (Matanuska-Susitna Borough), Wasilla — Iditarod CabinIn loving memory of Dean H. Christopherson
In loving memory of Dean H. Christopherson 1916-1992 Made possible by a generous contribution from Mrs. Elaine G. Christopherson in memory of her husband The cabin is similar to the cabin at Rohn the eighth checkpoint on the . . . — Map (db m80413) HM
Alaska (Southeast Fairbanks Borough), Delta Junction — Delta Junction, AlaskaNorthern Terminus of the "Alcan" Highway
This highway was constructed during World War II as a military supply route for interior Alaska Military and Airfields in 1942. 7 Army regiments and 42 Contractors and Public Roads Administrators working from Delta Junction South and Dawson Creek . . . — Map (db m59840) HM
Alaska (Southeast Fairbanks Borough), Tok — Taylor Highway
The Taylor Highway leads through some of the earliest and richest gold mining country in Alaska to the City of Eagle on the Yukon River. Gold was discovered by Franklin in 1886 and the old town of Forty Mile was located on the Yukon River at the . . . — Map (db m49596) HM
Alaska (Valdez Cordova Borough), Valdez — Goat Trail
The U.S. Army arrived at Valdez during the Gold Rush to build a trail into the interior. They found the Valdez Glacier impassable much of the year. To bypass the glacier, they cut a narrow trail along the walls of rugged Keystone Canyon. The . . . — Map (db m49611) HM
Alaska (Valdez Cordova Borough), Valdez — Horse and Sled Trail
On the far side, just above the water are the remains of the old sled trail, used in the early days. It was cut out of the rock, just wide enough for 2 horses abreast. 200 ft. above can be seen the old goat trail. This road was used till 1945. — Map (db m49610) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 28 — Madonna of the Trail
This 10 foot high, 5 ton statue cast by St. Louis sculptor August Leimbach is one of 12 identical monuments to the bold spirit of the pioneers erected in 1928-29 along the National Old Trails Road from Maryland to California. — Map (db m36380) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bisbee — Mule Pass
Front of obelisk Road Constructed by Prison Labor 1913-14 Board of Control Geo. W.P. Hunt Governor C. Callaghan Auditor U.R. Osburn Member R.E. Sims Supt of Prison Lamar Orb State Engineer Right side of obelisk . . . — Map (db m48552) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), San Simon — The San Simon Rest Area - Percy Jones, Jr.
Dedicated to the Engineering Achievements of Percy Jones, Jr. 1888 – Chief locating engineer who by sheer genius personally located more miles of Arizona highways than any other person. His college training in mining and geology . . . — Map (db m37899) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), San Simon — The San Simon Rest Area - Percy Jones, Jr.
Dedicated to the Engineering Achievements of Percy Jones, Jr. 1888 – Chief locating engineer who by sheer genius personally located more miles of Arizona highways than any other person. His college training in mining and geology . . . — Map (db m37900) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Willcox — Railroad Avenue
Railroad Avenue became the Commercial center for the growth of Willcox and the Sulpher Springs Valley from the time of the construction of the Southern Pacific Railroad through the area in 1880. — Map (db m28174) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Beale Road
In 1857 Congress authorized Navy Lieutenant Edward F. Beale to survey a wagon road along the 35th parallel from Fort Defiance, New Mexico Territory, to the Colorado River. A secondary mission was to test the feasibility of using camels in the . . . — Map (db m33348) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Beale Wagon Road1857 - 1882
From 1857-60, Lt. Edward F. Beale and a crew of 100 men completed the first federal highway in the southwest from Fort Smith, Ark. to Los Angeles, Calif. at a cost of $200,000. The wagon road was used extensively by immigrants en route to California . . . — Map (db m33346) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — The Old Tractor
This 1945 Model H International Farmall, purchased by the Zanzucchi Family after World War II, was used to plow the "Fields" at the Flagstaff Dairy. The Flagstaff Dairy operated from 1904 thru 1979 and was located 3 miles west of Flagstaff on Old . . . — Map (db m78740) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Bright Angel Trail
Each year thousands of hikers enter Grand Canyon on the Bright Angel Trail. They follow a tradition - and a trail route - established by prehistoric people. For centuries humans have used this route for two key reasons: water and access. Water . . . — Map (db m39563) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Mules and the Canyon
Behind you is the Bright Angel mule corral, where each morning mules greet riders and another adventure begins. Mules have carried people into Grand Canyon since sightseeers first visited here in the 1890s. For many people - including those who . . . — Map (db m39551) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Happy Jack — General Crook Trail
Under the direction of General George Crook this trail was built in the early 1870's. Starting at Fort Whipple, it winds down to Fort Verde then eastward across the Mogollon Rim to Fort Apache covering 200 miles. It was used as a supply route by . . . — Map (db m67419) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Happy Jack — General Crook Trail
Under the direction of General George Crook this trail was built in the early 1870's. Starting at Fort Whipple, it winds down to Fort Verde then eastward across the Mogollon Rim to Fort Apache covering 200 miles. It was used as a supply route by . . . — Map (db m67420) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Marble Canyon — 350 — Lee's Ferry
John D. Lee settled here in Dec. 1872 and established ferry service thirteen months later. After her husband's death, Warren M. Johnson ran the oar-driven ferry for Emma Lee, 1875 to 1879, when the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints . . . — Map (db m41997) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Marble Canyon — Navajo Bridge
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior August 31, 1981 — Map (db m94885) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Marble Canyon — Navajo Bridge
There are three markers on this end of the Navajo Bridge. (Marker on left:) National Historical Civil Engineering Landmark American Society of Engineers 1852 Designated by the American Society of Civil Engineers . . . — Map (db m94887) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Marble Canyon — Navajo Bridge Erection Toggle Screw/Navajo BridgeState of Arizona — 1927/1928
This Erection Toggle Screw was used in the construction of the historic Navajo Bridge to maintain bridge vertical elevations and as a means of lowering bridge sections in place. [Plaque Mounted on Bridge]: State of Arizona Navajo . . . — Map (db m38469) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Globe — Becker Butte Lookout
. . . — Map (db m36904) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Globe — El Capitan Pass
This pass was used by Kearny's Army of the West in a march to California in 1846. Guided by Kit Carson it was described in a journal of the trip as "Carson's Old Trail”. The pass led around the impassable canyon on the Gila River where . . . — Map (db m28045) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Pine — Camp Verde Arizona to Payson Arizona Mail Trail
This historic mail trail is dedicated to the memory of the mail riders named below and unknown mail carriers that braved weather, rough terrain and the Verde River to deliver mail 52 miles from Camp Verde to Payson, Arizona from 1884 to 1914. . . . — Map (db m67417) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Quartzsite — 060-019 — Tyson's WellOld Stage Station
This was a stage stop between Ehrenberg and Wickenburg and points east. Travelers in the 1870's and 80's made their first stop here on eastward journeys from the Colorado River. "No grass, but good water," an early desert guide indicated . . . — Map (db m7004) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Apache Junction — Welcome to the Apache Trail Historic Road
"The Apache Trail combines the grandeur of the Alps, the Glory of the Rockies, the magnificence of the Grand Canyon and then adds an indefinable something that none of the others have. To me, it is the most awe-inspiring and most sublimely . . . — Map (db m34066) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Kingman — Wagon Route
Surveyed by Lt. Edward F. Beale 1857 - 1858. Followed by railroad survey, 1858 – 1859. Route of Atlantic and Pacific Railroad built across Arizona 1882 – 1883. Tracks reached Kingman, spring, 1883. U. S. Highway 66 closely follows . . . — Map (db m29357) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Lake Havasu City — Robert P. McCulloch, Sr.
[Upper Plaque]: In grateful memory Robert P. McCulloch, Sr. Whose purchase of London Bridge in 1968 saved it for the enjoyment and use of posterity [Lower Plaque]: October 10, 1981 on this 150th Anniversary . . . — Map (db m6974) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Littlefield — 121 — The Old Spanish Trail1829 - 1848
The Old Spanish Trail, the main trade route between Santa Fe and Los Angeles, passed this way beginning in 1829. At the end of the Mexican-American War this portion of the route evolved into what was variously known as the Salt Lake Road, the Mormon . . . — Map (db m78535) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Holbrook — Route 66
You are standing near old Route 66. The line of the roadbed and the telephone poles in front of you mark the path of the famous "Main Street of America" as it passed through Petrified Forest National Park. From Chicago to Los Angeles, this heavily . . . — Map (db m68904) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Holbrook — Santa Fe Railroad
Across the Puerco River, the tracks of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad stretch for miles to the east and to the west. With no landforms or forests to block your view, you can see very long trains from beginning to end. More than 60 trains . . . — Map (db m68895) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Winslow — Winslow – Toreva Highway
Dedicated to the Honorable Carl Hayden, United States Senator and to the Honorable Frank R. Goodman, former State Highway Engineer. Both being good roads advocates who by their close application and untiring efforts contributed much to the . . . — Map (db m36275) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Oro Valley — Cañada Del Oro
For early travelers the road through this canyon was one of the most dangerous in Arizona. Indians attacked lone riders and wagon trains along this route from Tucson to Old Camp Grant on the San Pedro River. Despite the canyon's name, very little . . . — Map (db m48999) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Alameda StreetCalle de las Milpas — Cemetery Street
Named Calle de las Milpas ("Road Which Leads to the Corn Fields") during Tucson’s Spanish period; the street linked the presidio with adjacent agricultural fields. Renamed Cemetery Street in the mid-1800s, the street was the main thoroughfare . . . — Map (db m83008) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Alameda StreetCalle de las Milpas — Cemetery Street
Named Calle de las Milpas ("Road Which Leads to the Corn Fields") during Tucson’s Spanish period; the street linked the presidio with adjacent agricultural fields. Renamed Cemetery Street in the mid-1800s, the street was the main thoroughfare . . . — Map (db m83009) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Broadway BoulevardCamp Street
In 1862, Union soldiers took possession of a former Confederate camp located in what is now Armory Park neighborhood. The camp, originally named Military Plaza, was reactivated in 1866 as Camp Lowell. During its occupation, soldiers traveled between . . . — Map (db m69704) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Catalina Federal Honor CampGordon Hirabayashi Recreation Site
Why Put A Prison On A Mountain? Honor Camp prisoners built the Mt. Lemmon Highway In the early 20th century, the only road to Mt. Lemmon began at the town of Oracle and snaked up the north face of the mountain. Construction . . . — Map (db m83017) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Congress StreetCalle de la Alegria
Originally named “Street of Joy” during Tucson’s Spanish period. In 1869, its name changed to Congress Street, derived from Charles O. Brown’s Congress Hall Saloon. In 1867, Arizona’s territorial capital was moved to Tucson and Brown’s . . . — Map (db m69810) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Congress StreetCalle de la Alegria
Originally named “Street of Joy” during Tucson’s Spanish period. In 1869, its name changed to Congress Street, derived from Charles O. Brown’s Congress Hall Saloon. In 1867, Arizona’s territorial capital was moved to Tucson, and Brown’s . . . — Map (db m70187) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Congress StreetCalle de la Alegria
Originally named “Street of Joy” during Tucson’s Spanish period. In 1869, its name changed to Congress Street, derived from Charles O. Brown’s Congress Hall Saloon. In 1867, Arizona’s territorial capital was moved to Tucson, and Brown’s . . . — Map (db m70191) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Convent Street
Named in 1869 for the convent located adjacent to San Augustín Cathedral. When the seven Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet finally arrived in 1870, they opened the city’s first parochial school for girls next to San Augustín. Three years later . . . — Map (db m69563) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Convent Street
Named in 1869 for the convent located adjacent to San Augustín Cathedral. When the seven Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet finally arrived in 1870, they opened the city’s first parochial school for girls next to San Augustín. Three years later . . . — Map (db m69589) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Convent Street
Named in 1869 for the convent located adjacent to San Augustín Cathedral. When the seven Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet finally arrived in 1870, they opened the city’s first parochial school for girls next to San Augustín. Three years later . . . — Map (db m69812) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Corral Street
Named in the late 1860s for the location of the U.S. quartermaster’s corral where Camp Lowell’s military horses were held. The corral was located west of Camp Lowell near South Scott Avenue. — Map (db m69623) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Council StreetMiltenberg Street
Although they share the same alignment, during Arizona's Territorial period, Council Street and Miltenberg Street were divided by Stone Avenue. The alignment between Stone Avenue and Meyer Street was named Council Street, in reference to Tucson's . . . — Map (db m69635) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Court Street
In 1856, Tucson’s presidio walls made navigating the local streets difficult. In an effort to circumvent the walls and avoid having to re-enter the presidio through the main gate, a section of the south wall was opened and Court Street was . . . — Map (db m69632) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Cushing Street
Named in 1872 for First Lieutenant Howard B. Cushing (b.1838- d.1871). During his early military career, Cushing participated in many notable Civil War battles, including Shiloh, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg and Hatcher’s Run. In 1871, while in . . . — Map (db m69562) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Franklin Avenue
Named in the 1870s after the military scout and surveyor, Charles Franklin (b. ca.1844-d.1924). In 1871, he served as a scout for General Crook, and a year later, helped Sidney W. Foreman complete the first formal survey of Tucson. “Charles . . . — Map (db m69698) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Granada Avenue
Its name derives from the Spanish word meaning “pomegranate.” The area between what is now Interstate-10 and Main Avenue once supported irrigated agricultural fields during Arizona’s Territorial period. — Map (db m69620) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Granada Avenue
Its name derives from the Spanish word meaning “pomegranate.” The area between what is now Interstate-10 and Main Avenue once supported irrigated agricultural fields during Arizona’s Territorial period. — Map (db m69703) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Honorable Frank Harris Hitchcock
This beautiful highway was made possible by his sincere interest and unceasing efforts. It is dedicated to him and shall be known as"Hitchcock Highway" — Map (db m30020) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Jackson Street
Named in 1872 after John A. Jackson (ca 1835-d.1870), a rancher and farmer who lived at the San Pedro settlement near Tucson. On 16 April 1870, he was ambushed and killed by Apache Indians as he returned to his ranch. — Map (db m83201) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Main AvenueCalle Real — El Camino Real
Originating during Mexico’s Spanish period, “Royal Road” connected Spain’s southern and northern territories. The route linked Mexico City, Guadalajara, Mazatlan, and Culiacan, Magdalena to Spain’s northern outposts. Eventually, Calle . . . — Map (db m69631) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Main AvenueCalle Real — El Camino Real
Originating during Mexico’s Spanish period, “Royal Road” connected Spain’s southern and northern territories. The route linked Mexico City, Guadalajara, Mazatlan, and Culiacan, Magdalena to Spain’s northern outposts. Eventually, Calle . . . — Map (db m70193) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — McCormick Street
Named during Arizona’s Territorial period after territorial delegate to Congress, Richard McCormick (b.1832 – d.1901). In the 1870s he sponsored legislative measures to reduce discrimination against Mexicans in the Arizona territory. With . . . — Map (db m70212) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Meyer StreetCallejon de las Flores
Originally named “Flower Alley” during Tucson’s Spanish period, its name was later changed to honor German-born soldier and politician, Charles H. Meyer (b.1829- d.1907). He came to Arizona with the US Army and settled in Tucson in 1858. . . . — Map (db m69592) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Meyer StreetCallejón de las Flores
Originally named “Flower Alley” during Tucson’s Spanish period, its name was later changed to honor German-born soldier and politician, Charles H. Meyer (b.1829- d.1907). He came to Arizona with the US Army and settled in Tucson in 1858. . . . — Map (db m69696) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Ochoa Street
Named during Arizona’s Territorial period to honor Estevan Ochoa (b.1831 – d.1888), whose ancestors arrived in Mexico with the Cortez expedition. He was born in Chihuahua, Mexico to a wealthy mining and ranching family. Before settling . . . — Map (db m70211) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Pearl Street / Ott StreetCalle del Correo
Originally located between Granada Avenue and Church Street during Arizona's territorial period, "Post Office Street," was where postmaster and mayor, Mark Aldrich (b.1801 – d.1873) lived and worked. The southwestern half of the street was . . . — Map (db m70190) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Pennington Footbridge
Memorial to Elias Pennington, pioneer rancher, farmer, miner, freighter and lumberman. In 1857, he came from Texas with his twelve children settling in various locations around southern Arizona for several years. Near this site, in 1863, Pennington . . . — Map (db m82942) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Pennington StreetCalle de la Misión — Calle del Arroyo
Named in the late 1600s after the route connecting Tucson’s Presidio with mission San Cosme de Tucson. The street was also called Calle del Arroyo, referencing the arroyo immediately south of the presidio walls. The street was renamed in 1871 to . . . — Map (db m69816) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Saint Mary’s RoadSeven Sisters Lane
Named in 1880 in reference to Arizona’s first hospital, Saint Mary’s Hospital. Established by the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Carondelet, the hospital housed 11 patients, four sister-nurses, and one doctor. — Map (db m70791) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Scott Avenue
Named during Arizona’s Territorial period after businessman and Tucson pioneer, William F Scott (b.1831-d. ca.1914). In the 1870s, he operated a flour mill adjacent to his home at the corner of Main and McCormick (since demolished). — Map (db m69622) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Scott Avenue
Named during Arizona’s Territorial period after businessman and Tucson pioneer, William F. Scott (b.1831-d. ca.1914). In the 1870s, he operated a flour mill adjacent to his home at the corner of Main and McCormick (since demolished). — Map (db m69817) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Scott Avenue
Named during Arizona’s Territorial period after businessman and Tucson pioneer, William F Scott (b.1831-d. ca.1914). In the 1870s, he operated a flour mill adjacent to his home at the corner of Main and McCormick (since demolished). — Map (db m70214) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Stone Avenue
Named during Arizona’s Territorial period for Colonel John Finkle Stone (b. ca.1836-d.1869). He was a colonel in the Union Army and owner of the first house on Stone Avenue at McCormick Street. Stone also operated a mine near Apache Pass, where he . . . — Map (db m69621) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Stone Avenue
Named during Arizona’s Territorial period for Colonel John Finkle Stone (b. ca.1836-d.1869). He was a colonel in the Union Army and owner of the first house on Stone Avenue at McCormick Street. Stone also operated a mine near Apache Pass, where he . . . — Map (db m69700) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Stone Avenue
Named during Arizona’s Territorial period for Colonel John Finkle Stone (b. ca.1836-d.1869). He was a colonel in the Union Army and owner of the first house on Stone Avenue at McCormick Street. Stone also operated a mine near Apache Pass, where he . . . — Map (db m69702) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Toole Avenue
Named during Arizona’s Territorial period after Tucson’s mayor, Dr. James Toole (b.1824-d.1884). Before serving in politics, he acted as Adjutant General for the Arizona Territory. He was also a surgeon and later a banker. Upon collapse of his bank, . . . — Map (db m69809) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Vail — Cienega BridgeBuilt 1921
Has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior September 30, 1988 — Map (db m67763) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Vail — Vail Sonoita Highway
Located and constructed in 1918 by Lamar Cobb First State Engineer of Arizona Member of the Constitutional Convention Born 1870 -- Athens, Georgia Died 1926 -- Phoenix, Arizona Erected to his memory George P. Hunt . . . — Map (db m27293) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Eloy — Stage Station and Homestead
In 1879 the Southern Pacific Mail and Stage Line Company built a one-room adobe station and mesquite corral. It was a horse changing and water stop on the route from the railroad station at Picacho for passengers going to Florence and beyond. In . . . — Map (db m68220) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Ash Fork — Ash Fork Maintenance Camp #1
Built circa 1926-27 by the Arizona Department of Transportation This building constructed of Moenkopi Sandstone, has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Ash Fork Camp location was selected because it is a . . . — Map (db m33443) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Camp Verde — "0" Mile Post General Crook Trail
The Crook Road begins at this point with the first in a series of mile markers across the Mogollon Rim segment of the military supply trail connecting Forts Whipple, Verde and Apache. Reconnoitered in 1871 by General George Crook with a . . . — Map (db m28561) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Oak Creek — Beaver Head Stage Station
Built 1876, Abandoned 1882 Prescott Santa Fe Stage Line Distance 507 miles Division point between Pine Springs N.E. & Prescott S.W. Road built before 1866 used by military, emigrants & mail. Only road to Verde Valley until 1870. . . . — Map (db m94810) HM
Arizona (Yavapai county), Prescott — Simmons, Arizona
This is the site of ‘the crossing' on the Mojave-Prescott "Hardyville" toll road. The road was authorized by the first territorial legislature and was built by W. H. Hardy, connecting Prescott with Hardyville on the Colorado River. William John . . . — Map (db m72625) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Seligman — Beale Wagon RoadSeligman, Arizona
From 1857 to 1860 Lt. Edward F. Beale and a crew of 100 men built the first federal highway in the southwest. The 1857 Beale Expedition used 22 camels and dromedaries for pack animals. This road went from Fort Smith, Arkansas to Los Angeles, . . . — Map (db m32206) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Wellton — Red Top Wash Bridge
Constructed 1931, Widened 1949 Replaced 2009-2010 Federal Highway Administration Arizona State Highway Department Owner: Yuma County Designer: TransSystems Corporation Contractor: Bison Contracting Co. The Arizona State Highway . . . — Map (db m62009) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Yuma — El Camino Del Diablo(The Devil's Highway)
Early day route from Sonora to California over the path taken by Father Eusebio Kino in 1700 when he sought to discover if California was part of the American mainland. The parched desert along this route has claimed hundreds of lives, particularly . . . — Map (db m83418) HM
Arkansas (Baxter County), Mountain Home — Old Military Road
About 1800 near this spot white man established the first trail from East to West across Baxter County. Later some of the Cherokee Indians were moved to Oklahoma using this route which was known as the Trail of Tears. — Map (db m62248) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Avoca — Sesquicentennial Trail of the CenturiesBenton County Arkansas Sesquicentennial Monument 1836 - 1986 — Arkansas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
800 AD • Trace of the Rock People 1808 • Osage Boundary 1815 • Lawrence County 1827-28 • Lovely County 1838 • Trail of Tears 1840 • Trott's Stand 1858 • Old Wire Road 1858-61 • Butterfield Stage Route 1861 • Troop Trails 1862 • . . . — Map (db m62485) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — Lifeline for Two Armies
Elkhorn Tavern overlooks a highway of vital importance for Arkansas and Missouri during the Civil War. Union and Confederate leaders both wanted this 20-foot-wide dirt road to move men and supplies. Alongside the road ran 3-year-old telegraph wires, . . . — Map (db m35660) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Garfield — The Butterfield Overland Mail Route
John Butterfield was born in Berne, New York in 1801 and grew up on a farm amid the technological revolution of the first steamboat, the Erie Canal, the steam locomotive, and the electric telegraph.      In 1857, John Butterfield won a lucrative . . . — Map (db m84484) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — The Butterfield Stagecoach RoadEstablished 1858
This marker, set on the Butterfield Stagecoach Road, is placed near the spot where the trail crossed the east-west road between Huntsville and the Robinson settlement in western Benton County. John Robinson, a Revolutionary soldier, settled here . . . — Map (db m68781) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — Cross Hollows
This site was donated to the Benton County Historical Society by Scarlett Biggs Wilson and Lara Wilson Rosenblum in honor of their parents/grandparents, Guy and Nell Biggs, early pioneers of the Cross Hollows area. Cross Hollows is recognized for . . . — Map (db m68789) HM
Arkansas (Clark County), Caddo Valley — 65 — Confederate Manufacturing / The Military Road
(Side One) Confederate Manufacturing Arkadelphia was a manufacturing center for Confederate Arkansas early in the Civil War. Gen. Thomas Hindman established a powder works and an arsenal in 1862, producing guns, cannon, bullets, . . . — Map (db m96557) HM
Arkansas (Clay County), St. Francis — Chalk Bluff Crossing and Town
Since Crowley's Ridge provided the only natural route for north-south travel across the lowlands of northeastern Arkansas, an Indian trail and later a military road crossed the river here. About 1840 Abraham Seitz established a ferry which was later . . . — Map (db m4912) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — The Butterfield Stage Route
The Butterfield stage route between Saint Louis and San Francisco passed through the main street of Van Buren, Arkansas and crossed the river at this point. — Map (db m96457) HM
Arkansas (Grant County), Leola — Red River CampaignBattle of Jenkins' Ferry
Tablet #1 Jenkins' Ferry State Park Act 10 of 1961 authorized this 37-acre state park as a commemorative site and recreation area. The park includes the ferry site where you are standing. The ferry was operated by the Jenkins' family . . . — Map (db m37304) HM
Arkansas (Saline County), Benton — Quapaws, Choctaws, and Chickasaws Passed Here1825 - 1837
The Indian parties followed an ancient trail that became known as the Southwest Trail. The primitive trail took the tribal groups by where you are standing. William S. Lockhart was the first permanent settler in the area, arriving in 1815, at a . . . — Map (db m96596) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — 50 Year Concrete Street Service Award • 1963Fort Smith, Arkansas — General Paving District - 1913

Most 50-Year Old Concrete Streets of Any City in U.S.A. 21.5 Miles — Map (db m92355) HM

Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Butterfield Stage Route
This tablet marks a part of the Butterfield Stage Route from St. Louis to San Francisco 1857 – 1860 — Map (db m59888) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Will RogersTo The Memory Of
Whose heartfelt understanding of his fellowman made possible the planning of this avenue February 1931 — Map (db m59914) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Springdale — Fitzgerald's Station
Here on this, the Old Wire Road, was located Fitzgerald's Station on the Butterfield Overland mail route from St. Louis to San Francisco. First trip 1858. Last 1861. Longest and best conducted mail route in the world. 2795 miles. Service twice . . . — Map (db m59950) HM
California (Alameda County), Dublin — Amador Valley Hotel(Later the Dublin Hotel)
For 86 years a favorite congregating spot. Built by John Green in 1860, with a balcony over the porch and a gabled roof. A famous cross-roads stop and transfer point on the Oakland-Stockton and Martinez-San Jose stagecoach routes intil the 1890's . . . — Map (db m59944) HM
California (Alameda County), Emeryville — Key Route Terminal
This was the main terminal for the Key System Railway during World War II. The Shipyard Railway – also known as the “Pass the Ammunition” Railway – was built by the Key System for the United States Maritime . . . — Map (db m72396) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Duarte GarageBuilt 1915
Service Station and Car Dealership Situated on the Original Route of the Lincoln Highway ———————— City of Livermore Historic Preservation Site Dedicated July 1996 Operated by The . . . — Map (db m19994) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Commemoration of Old Redwood Road from Redwood Canyon
. . . — Map (db m71735) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — El Camino Rancho San Antonio
About 1820, along this route ran the earliest known road from Mission San Jose over Rancho San Antonio to the ranchos north. Erected by Oakland Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1939 — Map (db m54112) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Kennedy Tunnel
Opened in 1903, the timber-lined Kennedy Tunnel was the fast route between Oakland and Lafayette, saving four hours of driving around the San Pablo Reservoir. In 1914, it was wired for lights and renamed the Broadway Tunnel. In 1937, after the . . . — Map (db m71764) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Seventh Street
Spine of West Oakland The elevated BART tracks are the latest link in Seventh Street's long history as the transportation spine of West Oakland. The street once led to the long Wharf and Mole on the western waterfront where the . . . — Map (db m92787) HM
California (Alpine County), Bear Valley — Old Emigrant Road
This Sierra Crossing used by Jedediah Smith 1821 - Major John Ebbetts 1850 - Snowshoe Thompson 1856-76 - Gold Seekers 1850's. Old road left Carson Pass Road in Hope Valley, crossed Border Ruffian Pass to Hermit Valley, Pacific Summit and through . . . — Map (db m10730) HM
California (Alpine County), Kirkwood — First Summit
Below this ridge is what some pioneers dubbed the “Devils Ladder.” A name reflecting the steepness and extreme difficulty that pioneers experienced as they began their ascent over the Sierra Nevada. This climb was usually referred to as . . . — Map (db m21284) HM
California (Alpine County), Kirkwood — 378 — Memorial to Pioneer Odd Fellows
At this point in August 1849, a group of Odd Fellows nearing their goal, the California gold mines, paused in their struggle up these granite walls to paint on this and adjacent boulders their names and the three links of the Great Order They so . . . — Map (db m21293) HM
California (Alpine County), Kirkwood — Naming of Carson Pass
In February of 1844, John C. Fremont led a group of men over these mountains as they struggled to reach Sutter’s Fort. Little did they know that the pass, which lay 20 to 30 feet under the snow beneath them, would be a major route for the Gold Rush . . . — Map (db m21278) HM
California (Alpine County), Kirkwood — 661 — Old Emigrant Road
Here the Old Emigrant Road of 1848 swung down across the meadow now covered by Caples Lake (Twin Lakes) and climbed along the ridge at the right to the gap at the head of the valley. From this summit (9,460 feet) it descended to Placerville. This . . . — Map (db m45025) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — 318 — Ebbetts PassHistorical Landmark
Named after Major John Ebbett and pointed out in 1853 to surveyor G.H. Goodard who referred to it as a “route of great promise – probably the best one for a transcontinental railway.” No emigrant train used this route but a . . . — Map (db m11444) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Hermit ValleyHistorical Landmark
In 1856 a road was completed following the present sign route 4 from Murphys to this point, and thence northward via Faith and Charity Valleys to Hope Valley where it joined the Carson Pass Road. This connection was used by emigrants in 1856 and . . . — Map (db m10316) HM
California (Alpine County), Woodfords — The Pony Express - Woodfords
During the initial five weeks of its operation in 1860, an important remount station of the famous Pony Express was located a few feet from here at Cary’s Barn. This monument erected by the Historical Society of Alpine County. National . . . — Map (db m612) HM
California (Alpine County), Woodfords — 805 — Woodfords Station
Historic Woodfords Station, the Eastern Sierra gateway to the goldfields of California, way station of the famed Pony Express, and entrance to Carson Pass on the Emigrant Trail to the Sacramento Valley. Beginning in 1849 with the building of the . . . — Map (db m611) HM
California (Amador County), Kit Carson — Mormon-Carson Pass Emigrant Trail
Mormon-Carson Pass Emigrant Trail, the heavily-travelled gateway to California gold fields, was blazed in 1848 by discharged members of the Mormon battalion traveling east to join their families. Five hundred Mormon volunteers, recruited in . . . — Map (db m10824) HM
California (Amador County), Kit Carson — Peddler Hill Overlook
This marker is made up of three separate panels. [Panel 1:] The Road From a narrow dirt wagon road to a scenic byway, the Carson Route has evolved over time to meet the needs of generations of travelers and our changing means of . . . — Map (db m45050) HM
California (Amador County), Kit Carson — 338 — Tragedy SpringNo 338 — Erected 1967
This campsite on the Kit Carson Emigrant Trail was a resting place for California settlers. It was named by members of the Mormon Battalion enroute to Salt Lake Valley. Three of their men, serving as advance trail scouts, were murdered here by . . . — Map (db m21273) HM
California (Amador County), Martell — To The Memory of Mike ToveyWells Fargo Messenger
Michael (“Mike”) Tovey, Wells Fargo Messenger was killed and DeWitt Clinton Radcliff, stage driver injured on this spot, June 15, 1893, by a lone bandit who attempted to hold up the regular six-horse stage on the old Ione - Jackson Stage . . . — Map (db m41555) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — Forest Home1850's — Stage and Freight Stopover
Copper mines patented 1873: Peak Outputs: Early 1860’s, 1895-1917, 1943-1947, Township organized 1854. A Methodist center for many years U.S. Postoffice: 1862-1905 — Map (db m11361) HM
California (Butte County), Berry Creek — B047 — Beckworth Trail – Berry Creek
“We left here at half past four intending to go as far as Bidwell Bar. We passed on a bridge which crosses a pond made by damming a stream for the purpose of running (a) sawmill which is situated here” – James Woodworth, Aug. 19, . . . — Map (db m61682) HM
California (Butte County), Forest Ranch — 14 Mile House
In June, 1864, the Chico and Humboldt Wagon Road Company began to construct a road to connect Chico with the Idaho mines. A toll station for the Chico and Humboldt Wagon Road stood nearby to the left. A Georgian, Nick Spires, is said to have . . . — Map (db m61766) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Archie D. Stevenot“Mr. Mother Lode”
September 25, 1882 – August 1, 1968 Founder of Mother Lode Association in 1919, which created colorful Highway 49 – California’s first highway association. Plaque and 100 year capsules placed on July 23, 1976 by Golden Chain . . . — Map (db m6876) HM
California (Calaveras County), Avery — Avery HotelFormerly Half-Way House
Hotel and stagecoach relay station, halfway between Murphys and Big Trees. Settled in the 1850’s by Joseph and Sarah Goodell. Purchased by Peter Avery, then operated by three generations of Averys - Peter and Nancy, George and Henrietta and Morton . . . — Map (db m10615) HM
California (Calaveras County), Copperopolis — Copperopolis Historical Plaza
(There are five markers and one dedication plaque affixed to the flagpole pedestal.) History of Copperopolis Copper (for ore) + opolos (for city) Originally known as Copper Canyon, Copperopolis was established in 1860 when copper . . . — Map (db m62356) HM
California (Calaveras County), Copperopolis — 281 — O'Bryne Ferry
In 1852 a chain cable bridge replaced the ferries that once crossed here, to be supplanted in its turn by a covered truss structure in 1862. Some writers claimed this was the locale of Bret Harte's Poker Flat. In late “49” there was a . . . — Map (db m13013) HM
California (Calaveras County), Dorrington — Board's Crossing
Board’s Crossing was first used as a cattle crossing in the early 1870’s. Brothers David and William Board moved here from Missouri in 1854. They settled in Salt Springs Valley and raised cattle. This shallow ford across the river was a favorite . . . — Map (db m58791) HM
California (Calaveras County), San Andreas — 258 — Fourth Crossing
Located on the Stockton-Murphy Road at the fourth crossing of the Calaveras River, this early mining settlement, once called Foremans, was famous in the 1850's for its rich placer ores. Later, it became an important stage and freighting depot and . . . — Map (db m11969) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — Black Diamond Way
In 1892 Contra Costa County named Black Diamond Way, and maintained it as a road until 1982. (Locally it was also known as "Nortonville Road".) Black Diamond Way became part of Black Diamond Mt. Diablo Regional Trail in 1985. Black Diamond . . . — Map (db m27431) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — The Avenue
During the Spanish colonial era, the train that would become San Pablo Avenue connected many ranchos across the East Bay. By the mid-1800s, it featured a state line connecting Oakland and Martinez. Today the Avenue remains the center of El . . . — Map (db m94248) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Sobrante — El Sobrante Chevrolet Service
In 1946, Charles Deabenderter constructed this building for his Chevrolet service and repair business. The building has remained an auto repair business since that time, although under different names and specializations. In 1974 the business was . . . — Map (db m94277) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 123 — Downtown TrafficMt. Diablo Blvd. at Main St. — Early 1950s
The 1951 opening of Broadway Shopping Center led to almost daily gridlock at Main and Mt. Diablo, streets that were also part of two state highways. Local officials used photos to "plead their case" for traffic relief. The freeway to bypass downtown . . . — Map (db m93710) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 125 — Downtown TrafficNorth Main Street — Early 1950s
The 1951 opening of Broadway Shopping Center increased traffic on Main Street, which also doubled as part of two state highways. Photos like this helped convince State officials to build a freeway bypass to ease congestion. The new freeway opened in . . . — Map (db m93863) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — Farmall Tractor - c. 1925"A New Era in Power Farming"
First model built by International Harvester in 1924. Designed to cultivate or weed between rows. Instead of the traditional side-mounted flywheel to which a belt was attached to run machinery, the Farmall had what was known as a "power take-off," a . . . — Map (db m93979) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 130 — Harlan's Livery StableMain St. at Mt. Diablo Blvd. — circa 1880
The most important corner in Walnut Creek has alway been a center of transportation. In the late 1800's and early 1900s, a livery stable (horse barn) occupied this entire block, allowing locals and visitors to board or rent horses and buggies. — Map (db m93728) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 151 — Lawrence Garage1499 N. Main St. — 1921
Preferring cars to the family meat business, Lester Lawrence opened this auto garage across from his brother's meat market in 1921. Soon, he also began selling cars. He owned several dealerships over the years, including a dealership on North Main . . . — Map (db m93877) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 168 — Lommel's Creamery & Greyhound Bus Depot1700 N. Main St. — 1939
Diagonally across the street stood Lommel's Creamery, opened in 1939 and a local favorite for 35 years. After Greyhound began commuter bus service to San Francisco, Lommel saw his chance and convinced the company to use his Creamery as the bus stop. — Map (db m93809) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 121 — Main Street, 1910
From earliest times, Main Street (then Pacheco Road) was a highway. It was a main stagecoach route from Martinez to San Jose. Main Street was paved in 1921 and served as a state highway until the freeway opened in 1960. — Map (db m93703) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 135 — Main Street, 1921
By a vote of 127-76, Walnut Creek residents chose to incorporate as a city in October 1914, largely to get Main Street paved. It took another seven years to secure the funds but, finally, Main Street was paved in 1921. — Map (db m93873) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — 748 — The Coloma Road
Here in the Valley of the Cul-lum-mah Indians, James W. Marshall discovered gold on January 24, 1848, in the tailrace of Sutter’s sawmill. The Old Coloma Road, opened in 1847 from Sutter’s Fort to Coloma, was used by Marshall to carry the news of . . . — Map (db m12272) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado — 486 — El Dorado
El Dorado, meaning “The Gilded One”, was first known as Mud Springs from the boggy quagmire the cattle and horses made of a nearby watering place. Originally a important camp along the old Carson Emigrant Trail. By 1849 – 50 it . . . — Map (db m13148) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado Hills — 699 — Mormon TavernOverland Pony Express Route - California
At this site on the old Clarksville-White Rock Emigrant Road was Mormon Tavern. Constructed in 1849, this popular stage stop was enlarged and operated by Franklin Winchell in 1851. It became a remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express and . . . — Map (db m12056) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado Hills — SterlingshireHistorical Site
The Central Overland Pony Express passed this site many times. Green Valley Road was the gateway to the gold region, and was the center of activities in the 1850’s & 60’s, where many early California Inns were located. In the late 1800’s a . . . — Map (db m11311) HM
California (El Dorado County), Kyburz — 705 — Moore’s (Riverton)
This was the site of a change station of the Pioneer Stage Company in the 1850’s and 1860’s. During 1860-1861, the Central Overland Pony Express maintained here the first pony remount station east of Sportsman’s Hall. — Map (db m57977) HM
California (El Dorado County), Kyburz — Riverton Bridge
These stone obelisks are all that’s left of the original four that once stood on the corners of the stone arch bridge spanning the American River from 1900 to 1930. This monument erected by Caltrans District 3 History Committee and the . . . — Map (db m23183) HM
California (El Dorado County), Kyburz — 706 — Webster’s(Sugar Loaf House)
This was the site of Webster's Sugar Loaf House, well-known stopping place during the Comstock rush. Beginning in April 1860, it was used as a remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express. In 1861 it became a horse change station for pioneer . . . — Map (db m14177) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Placerville
[Marker facing Bee Street] Placerville Known as Hangtown In the days of “49” to Sutter’s Fort Sacramento 50 Miles [Marker facing Coloma Street-State Hwy . . . — Map (db m16024) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — 701 — Placerville Pony ExpressStation and Terminus
Gold Rush town and Western Terminus of the Placerville – Carson Road to the Comstock. Placerville was a relay station of the Central Overland Pony Express, April 4, 1860 – June 30, 1861. Here on April 4, 1860 the first east-bound pony . . . — Map (db m57973) HM

3447 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 3247
Paid Advertisement