Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Notable Buildings Historical Markers

9292 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers are listed. Next 9042
Australia, New South Wales (Clive), Tenterfield — Historic Stannum Housecirca 1888
Stannum House Built in 1888 “Stannum” Latin for tin, hence the owner, Mr. John Holmes Reid made the first of his fortune in tin mining. Stannum is a Victorian-Italiante villa, triple brick, double airflow system with . . . — Map (db m70697) HM
Australia, Victoria (Campaspe (Shire)), Echuca — The Only Classified Brothel in Victoria
This Establishment Built About 1878 Is The Only Classified Brothel in Victoria The house consists of 3 small rooms on each floor, the upper rooms being reached by a staircase leading into a sheltered lane running off Little Hopwood street, . . . — Map (db m70630) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Bederlunger HouseBederlungerhaus — Hofgasse 2
Die Geschichte dieses Hauses geht bereits in die früheste Zeit der Stadt zurück. Schon bald nach der Gründung der Stadt südlich der Innbrücke wurden auch die ersten Vorgängergebäude des heutigen Hauses errichtet. Im Erdgeschoss konnten romanische . . . — Map (db m68374) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Hölblinghaus
Dieses gotische Bürgerhaus des 15. Jahrhunderts, welches 1725 von Johann Fischer, dem Kassier der Haller Münzstätte, erworben wurde, erheilt damals vermutlich von dem um 1723 nach Innsbruck übersiedelten Stukkateur Anton Gigl aus Wessobrunn seine . . . — Map (db m68113) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Katzunghaus
Katzunghaus Dieses im 15. Jh. erbaute spätgotische Bürgerhaus tritt vor allem durch seinen Eckerker hervor. Die dortigen Reliefs sind Arbeiten aus der Werkstatt Gregor Türing’s (+1543) und zeigen einerseits Musikanten und Spielleute, andererseits . . . — Map (db m68329) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Kolb TowerKolbenturm
Wahrscheinlich bereits im 13. Jh. wie ein Torturm über die Schlossergasse erbaut, befand sich dieser Wohnturm der Familie Kolb mit den beiderseits anschliessenden Häusern von ca. 1450 bis 1582 in landesfürstlichem Besitz und fungierte 1563/82 als . . . — Map (db m68293) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Lodron PalacePalais Lodron
Palais Lodron Josef Nikolaus Graf Lodron hat 1744 zwei an dieser Stelle stehende Bürgerhäuser erworben und sei noch vor 1749 einheitlich als Rokokopalais umbauen lassen. Aus dieser Zeit stammt auch das Medaillon in der Höhe des ersten Stockes mit . . . — Map (db m68378) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Magistrate Zeller's HouseStadtrichter Zeller-Haus
Stadtrichter Zeller-Haus Dieses Haus war um 1485 bis 1543 im Besitz der Innsbrucker Bürgerfamilie Zeller. Walter Zeller d.Ä. liess, als er 1495 Stadtrichter war, im Laubengewölbe das bemerkenswerte Quaternionen-oder Reichsadlerfresko anbringen, . . . — Map (db m68295) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Old Government BuildingAltes Regierungsgebäude
In seinem Kern aus zwei gotischen Häusern bestehend wurde dieses Gebäude 1569 von Erzherzog Ferdinand II. als Amtsgebäude für die “oberösterreichische Regierung” gekauft. Im 2.Stock spätgotischer Kapellenraum erhalten. Der durch ein . . . — Map (db m68797) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — The Golden Roof and New CourtyardGoldenes Dachl und neuer Hof
In diesem Gebäude befand sich von 1420 bis ca. 1460 die Residenz der Tiroler Landesfürsten Friedrich IV. und Sigmund des Münzreichen. Der mit 2657 feuervergoldeten Kupferschindeln gedeckte Prunkerker, das Wahrzeichen der Stadt, wurde als . . . — Map (db m68114) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — The Trautson HouseTrautsonhaus
Gotisches Laubenhaus des 15. Jh. mit Lichtschacht, welches im Jahre 1541 unter seinem damaligen Besitzer Hanns Trautson von Matrei, Sprechenstein und Schrofenstein, Erbland- Marschall von Tirol, seit 1541 Freiherr, durch Meister Gregor Türing . . . — Map (db m68325) HM
Brazil, Bahia, Salvador — Igr. Basílica de N. Sr. do Bonfim — ["Basilica Church of Our Lord of the Good End"]
Igreja de pergrinação do século XVIII, com arcadas laterais. Local de grade devoção popular, possui internamente coleção de ex-votos. This simple 18th century church with arches on both sides has been the site of pilgrimages for many years and . . . — Map (db m26089) HM
Brazil, Distrito Federal, Brasilia — Memorial JKJK Memorial[President Juscelino Kubitschek de Oliveira, the founder of Brasilia]
In Portuguese: Projeto do arquiteto Oscar Niemeyer foi inaugurado em 12 de setembro de 1981 em homenagem a Juscelino Kubischek de Oliveira, fundador de Brasilia. Abriga biblioteca com trēs mil volumes que pertenceram a JK, atém de . . . — Map (db m26590) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — “The Birdcages”
The Legislative Buildings for the Colony of Vancouver Island were built on these grounds in 1859. Nicknamed “The Birdcages” because of their quaint style, they were replaced in 1894-97 by the present buildings. The original Legislative . . . — Map (db m9196) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — 713 JohnsonDesigned in 1908 by Victorian architects Thomas Hooper and Charles Elwood Watkins
This building is a good example of Edwardian commercial architecture. It was built for William James Marble as a carriage factory, replacing the original wooden structure from 1885. Early painted signage is still visible on the east façade. In 1938, . . . — Map (db m48748) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Abkhazi Garden House
City of Victoria Heritage Building — Map (db m75297) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Craigdarroch
Built for coal magnate Robert Dunsmuir, Craigdarroch symbolized the desire of late 19th-century industrialists to assert their social position through conspicuous displays of wealth. Completed in 1890, the eclectic mansion features exquisite . . . — Map (db m72876) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Empress HotelL’Hotel Empress
[English] This hotel was built between 1904 and 1908, and has since been enlarged twice. The architect, Francis M. Rattenbury, followed the practice of the Canadian Pacific Railway in employing the Chateau style, identifiable by the steep slate . . . — Map (db m49238) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Leiser BuildingBuilt 1896
Simon Leiser & Co., Wholesale Grocers, was the largest business of it kind in British Columbia when this warehouse was built. The building featured a central electric elevator with tracks radiating from the elevator on each floor for ease of . . . — Map (db m49101) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Log Cabin to Victorian Parlour
As the Helmcken family grew, so did this house. You can see three stages in the structure.

[Right section] The original 1852 log cabin was built in a fur trade post-in-sill style with hand hewn squared logs and cedar shingles. Hearths in three . . . — Map (db m48866) HM

British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Oak Bay GroceryCelebrating Our Heritage
the oldest building in the Village Built in 1912, it is the current location of The Blethering Place — Map (db m75298) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Pendrary House309 Belleville Street — Victoria, B.C.
Family home of William J. Pendrary Built 1897 Known as Loretto Hall 1940-1966 Restoration by William and Florence Prior 1970 Topiary gardens replanted by descendants of Mr. Pendrary 1980

[Marker below, French] Ancienne residence de la . . . — Map (db m49035) HM

British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — S.J. Pitts, ImporterBuilt 1882
This is one of the earlier brick warehouse in the area, replacing previous wooden construction. Sidney Pitts, like other businessmen on Yates Street, operated a wholesale grocery, provision and produce business.

Stuccoed for may years, the . . . — Map (db m49102) HM

British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Shop/WarehouseBuilt 1883
This two-story brick building in the Italianate style was one of several shop/warehouses in Victoria’s warehouse district. Originally occupied by W.J. Jeffree, pioneer clothier, the building later housed F.R. Stewart & Co. Provisioners. The . . . — Map (db m49124) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — The Bank BuildingFirst Opened for Business on April 19, 1886 — Project Architect: Mr. W.H. Williams
When the building opened, it was the second largest in Victoria with a total area 5,230 square feet. The original drawings came from London, England. Using brick on a stone foundation, Mr. Williams combined cast iron columns, lintels, and sills . . . — Map (db m48522) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — The Majestic TheatreBuilt c1860 — Alterations: 1885; 1909; 1917
This building first housed Moore’s Music Hall (Victoria’s earliest existing theatre) upstairs, above Nathanial Moore’s dry goods store. In 1885, a new facade was constructed to match the new building next door, with identical cast iron columns. . . . — Map (db m49125) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — The Oriental HotelBuilt 1883;1888
William McKeon operated the Oriental Saloon on this site, at the corner of Oriental Alley, prior to 1883. That year, he commissioned architect John Teague to build the Oriental Hotel on the lot next door. Teague doubled the size of the hotel in . . . — Map (db m49103) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Thomas Earle WarehouseBuilt 1900
Thomas Earle was a local wholesale grocer and provision merchant whose business dated back to 1869. This building, constructed for $10,000 and designed by architect Thomas Hopper, features a large brick arch and two finials flanking a central . . . — Map (db m49099) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Tiger Company Fire Hall1880 - 1899
The Tiger Company was one of three volunteer fire companies dedicated to protecting Victoria's growing business district during the late 1800s. By the 1870s, there was a need to replace the Tiger's original fire hall on Johnson Street but it was not . . . — Map (db m72885) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Victoria City HallHôtel de Ville de Victoria
Victoria’s first city hall was designed in 1875. The building was begun three years later and completed in 1890. The designer was John Teague, an Englishman long resident in Victoria, who was responsible for planning many of the city’s early . . . — Map (db m49126) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Victoria, B.C.1889
Fort Victoria had its start in 1843, centered on Fort Street and present-day Bastion Square. Most of Victoria’s Old Town however was constructed during the great building boom of 1886-1892. During that period the red-brick character of Victoria . . . — Map (db m49225) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Windsor Hotel
The Windsor Hotel was originally called the Victoria Hotel when it opened in 1858, and boasted the city’s first brick building. It still stands across the street from here, with bricks now covered in stucco, at the corner of Government and Courtney. . . . — Map (db m48717) HM
British Columbia (Cariboo Regional District), Barkerville — Cornish Wheel & Pump
This overshot water wheel is 16 feet in diameter. It is modeled after wheels and pumps used in the tin mines of Cornwall. The early miners found that the pay gravel often lay 40 to 100 feet under the surface. The wheels were used to pump the water . . . — Map (db m42710) HM
British Columbia (Cariboo Regional District), Barkerville — Richfield Courthouse
Built in 1882, this is British Columbia’s oldest surviving courthouse, replacing one which stood here from 1862-1882. By 1918, declining population in Richfield led to the building’s closure. Designated a Provincial historic object in 1945, it was . . . — Map (db m42763) HM
British Columbia (Cariboo Regional District), Quesnel — Cottonwood House
For over half a century the Boyd family operated this haven for man and beast. Here weary travellers found lodging, food, and drink. Here fresh horses were hitched to stage-coaches and miners bought supplies. This historic road-house, built in 1864 . . . — Map (db m42766) HM
British Columbia (Greater Vancouver Regional District), New Westminster — Carnegie Library1905 - 1958
This plaque was unveiled on October 21, 2000 as part of the New Westminster Public Library's celebration of 135 years of service to the community. It commemorates the Carnegie Library which opened on March 5, 1905 on this site and continued to . . . — Map (db m32130) HM
British Columbia (Greater Vancouver Regional District), New Westminster — The New Westminster Court House and Land Registry Office
The New Westminster Court House The Court House was designed by architect George William Grant and opened on June 3, 1891 by the first colonial judge and Chief Justice for British Columbia, Sir Matthew Baillie Begbie. On September 10, . . . — Map (db m33185) HM
British Columbia (Greater Vancouver Regional District), North Vancouver — Pacific Great Eastern Railway StationProtected Heritage Building - 1913
The Pacific Great Eastern Railway Station was built to service a rail link between North Vancouver westward along Howe Sound to the interior of the province. The foot of Lonsdale became a busy transportation hub in the early days of the community as . . . — Map (db m31979) HM
British Columbia (Greater Vancouver Regional District), Surrey — Historic ElginPart of Surrey’s Heritage Resources
Community Building The first permanent structure in Elgin was the Elgin Hotel (1870). It was built as a convenient stop-over point for travellers between New Westminster and Blaine. In 1875, four years before the incorporation of the . . . — Map (db m60900) HM
British Columbia (Greater Vancouver Regional District), Vancouver — 326 West Pender StreetCity of Vancouver Heritage Building — Architect: J.S.D. Taylor
This building is an integral part of the Victory Square area dating back to 1929. The facade was renovated in 1948 by architect W.H. Birmingham. It was given Neo-classical treatments including a decorative cornice installed below the original . . . — Map (db m54517) HM
British Columbia (Greater Vancouver Regional District), Vancouver — B.C. Electric BuildingCity of Vancouver Heritage Building — Architects: Sharp and Thompson Berwick Pratt
This landmark building, completed in 1957 as the head office for BC Electric Company, is a significant example of the Internationalist style of modern architecture. Floors are cantilevered from a central load bearing concrete core and supported by . . . — Map (db m32348) HM
British Columbia (Greater Vancouver Regional District), Vancouver — Canadian Bank of Commerce BuildingArchitects: Darling and Pearson — City of Vancouver Heritage Building
In the early 20th century, bank buildings were designed to recall classical temples and evoke a sense of permanence and dignity. The Neo-Classical design, imposing Ionic columns, decorative stonework, and prominent roof cornice of this building make . . . — Map (db m33025) HM
British Columbia (Greater Vancouver Regional District), Vancouver — Carnegie LibraryCity of Vancouver Heritage Building — Architect: George William Grant
This eclectic 1903 building was one of 2,507 public libraries paid for by the Scottish-American industrialist Andrew Carnegie, the richest person in the world when he retired in 1901. Carnegie believed in the "Gospel of Wealth" and gave away 90% of . . . — Map (db m32318) HM
British Columbia (Greater Vancouver Regional District), Vancouver — Dominion BuildingCity of Vancouver Heritage Building — Architects: J.S. Helyer & Son
This ornate Beaux-Arts skyscraper was commissioned by Imperial Trust in 1906 but opened in 1910 as the Dominion Trust Building after this company assumed the debt and completed construction. It was the tallest building in the British Empire at that . . . — Map (db m54360) HM
British Columbia (Greater Vancouver Regional District), Vancouver — Drill HallCity of Vancouver Heritage Building — Architect: Department of Public Works
This fortress-like building has served as the drill hall and armoury for the British Columbia Regiment since its opening by HRH the Duke of Cornwall and York in 1901. The solid building with three-foot thick walls, was constructed of Gabriola Island . . . — Map (db m54225) HM
British Columbia (Greater Vancouver Regional District), Vancouver — Vancouver Rowing ClubCity of Vancouver Heritage Building — Architect: J.W. Keagey
The Vancouver Rowing Club was established in 1899 when the Burrard Inlet Rowing Club joined the Vancouver Boating Club. Throughout it's history the Vancouver Rowing Club has played an important part in the athletic and social life of Vancouver. This . . . — Map (db m31941) HM
Manitoba, Gardenton — St. Michael’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Constructed in 1899, this church is a fine early example of Ukrainian ecclesiastical architecture in Canada. Its distinctive massing, plan and bulbous cupolas reflect the Byzantine-influenced architectural heritage of the homeland of the settlers in . . . — Map (db m8421) HM
Manitoba, Inglis — Inglis Grain Elevators
This impressive grouping of five standard-plan wooden grain elevators is a rare survivor of the long rows that once dominated Prairie towns. The row was built between 1922 and 1941, Manitoba's golden age of elevators, by a cross-section of . . . — Map (db m8491) HM
Manitoba, St. Andrews — St. Andrew’s Rectory
Erected between 1852 and 1854, this large limestone dwelling housed the rector of nearby St. Andrew’s church and complemented the massive construction of that building. The rectory, built for the Reverend William Cockran was one of the first stone . . . — Map (db m8449) HM
Manitoba, St. Andrews — Twin Oaks
Built in the mid-1850s, this house was the residence for a private girls’ school run by Matilda Davis until 1873. The school was supported by families of the Red River Settlement and by officers of the Hudson’s Bay Company from across western Canada . . . — Map (db m8450) HM
New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Campobello — Campobello's Resort Hotels
In 1881, a group of American businessmen (called themselves the Campobello Company) purchased most of Campobello Island. In an era of summer-long vacations and great summer resorts, the company hoped, by promoting Campobello's charms, to attract, . . . — Map (db m25467) HM
New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Campobello — James and Sara Roosevelt Cottage
On this site, in 1885, James Roosevelt, businessman and country gentleman of Hyde Park, New york, built the cottage shown below. The Cottage was intended to be a summer retreat for his wife, Sara Delano, and their son Franklin Delano Roosevelt. . . . — Map (db m25456) HM
New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Campobello — Roosevelt Campobello Park
Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson and Mrs. Lester B. Pearson Together opened the Roosevelt Campobello Park on the twenthieth day of August 1964 Lyndon Baines Johnson President of the United States of America and Lester Bowles Pearson Prime Minister of Canada . . . — Map (db m25394) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Centerbeam Place
This historic city block of attached late-Victorian buildings was designed and constructed immediately after the Great Fire of 1877 that swept away much of Saint John. Prominent architects from Canada and the United States vied for the honour of . . . — Map (db m77457) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — No. 2 Mechanics’ Volunteer Company Engine HouseCaserne No 2 des Mécaniciens Pompiers Volontaires
English The cry “Fire!” so terrified Canadians in the early 19th century that communities began to construct permanent fire stations. Erected in 1840, this elegant Neoclassical building is a pioneer example of a firehall . . . — Map (db m77508) HM
Newfoundland and Labrador (Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula)), St. John's — St. John’s Court HouseLe Palais de justice de St. John’s
English The St. John’s Court House, built 1900-1094, is by far the most striking and elaborate courthouse in the province. Set into a steep hill it commands a dramatic view of the harbour. The Romanesque Revival building was designed by . . . — Map (db m79032) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Black-Binney HouseRésidence Black-Binney
English Built about 1819 by John Black, successful merchant and Executive Councillor (1813-23), this house is a notable example of the finest Halifax residences of its day - the first important era of stone construction in the town. James . . . — Map (db m77657) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Halifax Waterfront Buildings
English From the founding of Halifax in 1749 until the early twentieth century, this portion of the waterfront was associated with men and events in the civic and commercial life of the city. These seven typical warehouses and offices, . . . — Map (db m77826) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Province House
English Province House is an architectural monument and the setting for signifiant events in Canadian political life. Begun in 1811 and opened in 1819 as the seat of government for Nova Scotia, it is one of the finest Palladian-style . . . — Map (db m77858) HM
Ontario, Ottawa — Grand Central Hotel / Hôtel Grand Central1877
Built as a grocery store by Thomas Coffey, Sr., this building was the Grand Central Hotel from 1889 to 1907, and a Salvation Army hostel from 1908 to 1949. Designated Heritage Property . . . — Map (db m63693) HM
Ontario (Essex County), Windsor — Original Home of Major F.A. Tilston V.C. Armoury
This armoury was named after Major Fred Tilston, a true military hero of this community. Maj. Tilston, a member of the Essex Scottish, was awarded the Victoria Cross, the highest award for bravery, for his exploits at the Battle of Hochwald Forest . . . — Map (db m42292) HM
Ontario (Hamilton County), Hamilton — Dundurn Castle
This villa was completed in 1835 for Allan Napier MacNab. Incorporating an existing farmhouse, it was designed by the local architect, Robert Wetherell, as a statement of its owner's place in Hamilton society. The house features an eclectic blend of . . . — Map (db m66126) HM
Ontario (Hamilton County), Hamilton — Dundurn Castle— 1832 —
This mansion was built 1832-35 by Allan Napier MacNab (1798-1862) and named after the family ancestral seat in Scotland. Enlisting at fifteen, MacNab distinguished himself by his bravery in the War of 1812. He subsequently entered politics and was . . . — Map (db m66129) HM
Ontario (Lambton County), Petrolia — Victoria Hall
English When Victoria Hall was built in 1889, Petrolia, in the midst of an oil boom, was one of the wealthiest towns in Canada. The opulent town hall reflects this stage in the town’s growth. While its first floor housed municipal offices, . . . — Map (db m78421) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — Former Brockville Post Office
Completed in 1886 this structure was designed under the direction of Thomas Fuller, Chief Architect of the Department of Public Works from 1881 to 1896. The Brockville Post Office shows the sensitivity often displayed by Fuller and his staff. The . . . — Map (db m87064) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — Fulford Place
Built in 1899 – 1900, this eclectic mansion evokes the opulent lifestyle of Canada's industrial elite at the turn of the century. Designed by American architect A. W. Fuller, it was the spacious residence of Senator George T. Fulford . . . — Map (db m87017) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — Johnstown District Court House and Gaol
In 1808 the provincial government authorized the erection of a court house and gaol in Elizabethtown (Brockville) to serve the District of Johnstown created ten years earlier. By 1811 a brick structure had been built here on land donated by William . . . — Map (db m83480) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Brockville — Leeds-Grenville County Court House
Symbols of law and authority to a new and changing society, the district court houses of Upper Canada were architecturally prominent buildings in the colony. Of these, one of the most grandiose is the former Johnstown District court house which was . . . — Map (db m87027) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Gananoque — Gananoque Town Hall
Built about 1831-32, and designed in the late phase of the Neo-Classic style, this structure is among the best of its type remaining in Ontario. Constructed as a dwelling for John McDonald, a local landowner, merchant, postmaster and later a member . . . — Map (db m83532) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Prescott — Prescott Barracks and Hospital
The front portion of this structure one of the earliest surviving military buildings in Ontario, was constructed as a residence about 1810 by Colonel Edward Jessup, the founder of Prescott. Following the outbreak of the War of 1812, the stone house . . . — Map (db m86950) HM
Ontario (Leeds and Grenville Counties), Maitland — Dumbrille's Store
Built as a house in the 1850s, this sturdy stone building was altered in 1877 by John Dumbrille, when he relocated his general store from across the street in front of his residence "Sprucelawn". In 1879 he was appointed Maitland's postmaster and . . . — Map (db m89979) HM
Ontario (Leeds and Grenville Counties), Maitland — Homewood
Construction of Homewood was begun in 1800 by Dr. Solomon Jones, a prominent Loyalist, local officeholder and early resident of this region. With its balanced five-bay façade, centre hallway plan and classical detailing, it reflects the influence . . . — Map (db m89978) HM
Ontario (Middlesex County), London — Eldon House
Built in 1834 by Capt. John Harris, R.N., treasurer of the London District, this is London's oldest remaining house. With his wife Amelia, daughter of Samuel Ryerse, Harris came to London after the District offices were moved here from Vittoria. For . . . — Map (db m18970) HM
Ontario (Middlesex County), London — Middlesex Court HouseLe Palais de Justice de Middlesex
[English Translation] Erected in 1830, this building was modelled after Malahide Castle, near Dublin, Ireland, the ancestral home of Colonel Thomas Talbot, founder of the Talbot Settlement. The site was a part of the town plot set aside . . . — Map (db m18962) HM
Ontario (Middlesex County), London — The East London Town Hall
Completed in 1884, restored in 1969 as Aeolian Town Hall, served as a centre for political and social life in London East until 1947. — Map (db m18963) HM
Ontario (Middlesex County), London — The Gaol and Courthouse, London, c.1843Painting by George Russell Dartnell
“More change has been caused to the views around London by the cutting down of hills and the building of gullies.”           --Harriet Priddis, in her “Reminiscences” (1902) In the 1840s George Russell Dartnell . . . — Map (db m18973) HM
Ontario (Middlesex County), London — The Petition of John Ewart
The Petition of John Ewart of the Town of York: Humbly Shewith: That while your Petitioner was performing his contract for building the Court House and Gaol in the town of London, in the London District, he was located by Colonel Talbot upon . . . — Map (db m18974) HM
Ontario (Middlesex County), London — The Ridout Street Complex
This streetscape includes several of London's earliest buildings and provides a capsule view of the appearance of mid-19th century Ontario cities. These buildings, the earliest of which was begun in 1835, include residential, industrial and . . . — Map (db m18972) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Stamford Cottage
200 yards north east of this point stood "Stamford Cottage" later known as "Stamford Park" the home of Sir Peregrine Maitland, Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada from 1818 to 1828. The property was purchased in 1822 . . . — Map (db m75856) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Toronto Power Generating StationLa centrale Électrique de la Toronto Power
Opened in 1906 to supply the Toronto market, this generating station was the first wholly Canadian-owned hydro-electric facility at Niagara Falls. Engineers adapted advanced European and American technologies to a difficult site in a bold and . . . — Map (db m79737) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara on the Lake — Niagara on the Lake Historical District
(Left side is in English) In 1778, Loyalist refugees began crossing from Fort Niagara to settle the west bank of the Niagara River. A town was laid out in a grid pattern of four-acre blocks and grew quickly, gaining prominence as the first . . . — Map (db m24585) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Later YearsInoculation at Old Navy Hall, Niagara Camp
[Text on Marker]: Immediately after the War of 1812, a new wooden storehouse was built on this site. It was converted into barracks for British troops during the border troubles of 1838. The building remained in use until the 20th . . . — Map (db m49478) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Memorial Hall, 1906
This building, the first in Ontario to be constructed for use solely as an historical museum, was begun in 1906 and completed the following year. Its erection was due largely to the dedicated efforts of Miss Janet Carnochan, founder, and for thirty . . . — Map (db m75861) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Niagara ApothecaryLa Pharmacie De Niagara
Acquired by the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969, the Niagara Apothecary is a fine example of a Confederation era commercial establishment and pharmacy. Although the building probably dates to the 1820's. It was extensively renovated in 1866 when . . . — Map (db m24609) HM
Ontario (Northumberland County), Cobourg — Victoria Hall
One of the finest public buildings in Canada, this imposing structure was built as an expression of civic pride and confidence in the future. It was begun in 1856 and opened by the Prince of Wales four years later. Designed by the renowned . . . — Map (db m90084) HM
Ontario (Northumberland County), Cobourg — Victoria Hall
This building, designed by the architect Kivas Tully in a Victorian version of the Palladian style, is representative of the finer public buildings of mid-nineteenth century Canada. One of the most impressive town halls in Ontario, it reflects the . . . — Map (db m90086) HM
Ontario (Toronto), Toronto — The Macdonald-Mowat House1872
Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada's first prime minister, purchased this house in 1876 and lived here 1876-78. It was built in 1872 in the French Second Empire style by Nathaniel Dickey, a Toronto iron founder. Macdonald owned the property until 1886 . . . — Map (db m36978) HM
Ontario (Toronto, Municipality of Metropolitan), Toronto — The Royal York HotelL’hôtel Royal York
English: Built on the site of the Queen's Hotel by the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1928-29, the Royal York Hotel was part of its coast-to-coast chain of grand hotels. The skyscraper hotel, designed by Montreal architects Ross and . . . — Map (db m83660) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Canadian National HotelsRodd Hotels & Resorts
This marker is composed of two plaques on either side of the entrance. In 1930, the Canadian National Railway (CNR) decided to build a hotel in Charlottetown, Railway hotels were the standard of comfort and service, but the new Canadian . . . — Map (db m80227) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Dundas Terrace
English: This apartment building, completed in 1890, is a handsome example of the Queen Anne Revival in Canada. Admired for its picturesque qualities, this style was popular in Canadian domestic architecture from the 1880s to the 1910s. As . . . — Map (db m80207) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Province House
English Completed in 1847, this neo-classical building was designed and built by local architect Isaac Smith to accommodate the provincial legislature and administrative offices. It also housed the Island's Supreme Court until 1872. . . . — Map (db m80282) HM
Quebec (Brome-Missisquoi MRC), Saint-Ignace-de-Stanbridge (Mystic) — Grange Alexander-Solomon-Walbridge
Construite en 1882 par l'entrepreneur Alexander Solomon Walbridge, cette grange-étable est formée de douze murs pignons disposés autour d'un espace central. Le bâtiment comporte deux niveaux: un premier qui servait d'étable et un second, divisé en . . . — Map (db m77846) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Hôtel Chevalier
French: En 1752, le négociant Jean-Baptiste Chevalier fit construire ce hôtel particulier qui lui servit de domicile, de maison d’affaires et d’entrepôt. L’hôtel fut converti en auberge, vers la fin du XVIIIᵉ siècle, sous le . . . — Map (db m81539) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Kent HouseMaison du Duc de Kent
English: D’Ailleboust, Governor of New France, occupied this house in 1648. De Ramezay here signed the capitulation of Quebec in 1759. The Duke of Kent, father of Queen Victoria, resided here from 1792 to 1794. French: . . . — Map (db m81260) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Le Vielle Prison de Québec(The Old Quebec Prison) — (Morrin College)
English: This is the first prison in Canada to reflect the principles of John Howard, a British reformer who believed that cellular confinement, work, and education could rehabilitate criminals. Designed by local architect François . . . — Map (db m80776) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Maison Baillargeon
French: Habitée par trois générations d’une même famille, cette maison a été construite en 1860 selon les plans de l’architecte Charles Baillairgé pour le docteur Pierre Baillargeon (1812-1891), médecin, dentiste et sénateur. Il était . . . — Map (db m81333) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Maison Jean-Demers
French: Jean Demers ou Dumets, de Dieppe, entreprit la construction de cette maison en 1689. Les maçons Le Rouge, Reonault et Charpentier y travaillèrent. Elle a été habitée par la famille Demers jusqu’en 1764. Le carré de la maison a . . . — Map (db m80801) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Pavillon Charles-Baillairgé
English: This building was constructed between 1861 and 1871 according to plans by architect Charles Baillairgé (1826-1906), whose name it now bears. Until 1970, it served as Quebec City’s prison. The building’s outstanding restoration was . . . — Map (db m81229) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Jacquet HouseLa Maison Jacquet
English: One of the oldest houses in Quebec, built by François Jacquet in 1675-76. Prominent citizen of Quebec City lived here, of whom Philippe Aubert de Gaspé, author of “Les Anciens Canadiens”, from 1815 to 1824. . . . — Map (db m80802) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Maillou HouseLa Maison Malliou
English: Built as a one-storey house about 1736 by Jean Maillou, architect, it was raised before 1775 to its present height by Antoine Duchesnay, Executive Councillor and extended in 1799 by John Hale, Deputy Paymaster General of the . . . — Map (db m80799) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Têtu HouseLa maison Têtu
English: In 1852 Cirice Têtu, a merchant, asked Charles Baillairgé, one of the finest architects in Québec, to draw up the plans for his home and to oversee its construction. The Têtu house is one of the most remarkable examples of the . . . — Map (db m81324) HM
Quebec (La Cité Borough), Québec City — Le Château FrontenacVieux-Québec
Construit en sept étapes à partir de 1892-1893, cet édifice offre un excellet exemple des hotels de style Chateau etablis par les companies ferroviaires au Canada. Rehaussé par la splendeur du site, il évoque la romantisme des château de la Loir . . . — Map (db m74546) HM
Quebec (Memphrémagog MRC), East Bolton — Former Bolton Township Hall
French text appears above English text. Passage of the Municipal and Road Act for Lower Canada in 1855 resulted in the construction of many public halls in the English-speaking communities of rural Quebec during the second half of the 19th . . . — Map (db m75771) HM
Quebec (Montréal (region)), Montréal — Cartier ResidencesLes Résidences Cartier
English: These two semi-detached houses were constructed about 1837, and each served as the home of one of Canada’s most distinguished statesmen, Sir George-Étienne Cartier (1814-1873), who occupied the east home from 1848 until 1855, and . . . — Map (db m82112) HM
Quebec (Montréal (region)), Montréal — Visitors Center
English: This house built around 1800 on land granted in 1658 to Lambert Closse by Paul de Chomedey Sieur de Maisonneuve, was restored and converted into an art center in 1964 by the Safeguard Life Ass. Co. French: Cette . . . — Map (db m82013) HM
Quebec (Ville-Marie Borough), Montréal — Château de Vaudreuil
Ici s’élevait – Here stood le Château de – the Château Vaudreuil – de Vaudreuil Construit en 1723 – Built in 1723, occupé de le – occupied by the College de – College of Montréal de – Montreal . . . — Map (db m73102) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Bank of British North America/La Bank of British North America
[English:] The BNA, which opened Dawson City’s first bank in a tent in 1898, moved into these premises in 1899. By providing the essential services of assaying, buying and shipping gold, it helped integrate the local currency of dust and nuggets . . . — Map (db m44857) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Dr. Brown’s ResidenceRésidence du docteur Brown
[English] Built for Dr. Brown, a dentist, in 1902, this attractive little bungalow was tangible proof that affluent residents had confidence in the future of Dawson City and were willing to put down roots. While this may have been somewhat . . . — Map (db m49345) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Macaulay’s ResidenceRésidence Macaulay
[English] This fine two storey house, built in 1901, was owned by Henry C. Macaulay, Dawson City’s first mayor. Subsequently, it housed such affluent individuals as a merchant, a Territorial Commissioner, a surveyor, and senior management of the . . . — Map (db m49343) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Palace Grand Theatre/Le théâtre Grand Palace
[English:] “Arizona” Charlie Meadows, showman and self-made heroic figure built a lavish structure in 1899 to prospect gold directly from the miner’s pokes. Hugely successful over its first winter, the theatre offered vaudeville acts, . . . — Map (db m44890) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Post Office/Le bureau de poste
[English:] Prime Minister Laurier himself recognized the need to link the Klondike with the rest of the country. In 1900, he urged that the building of a Post Office “...be proceeded with at once.” As the first substantial building . . . — Map (db m44936) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Robert Service's Cabin / La cabane de Robert Service
English: Within 5 years of Robert Service's departure in 1912, the local press referred to his rented cabin as a “shrine”. It became Yukon’s foremost tourist attraction virtually from the day it was abandoned. Maintained, . . . — Map (db m42695) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — The B.Y.N. Co. Ticket Office/La billettetereie de la compagnie B.Y.N.
[English:] This structure, built in 1900, is all that remains of a larger complex that included a warehouse and dock. At the time of the gold rush and for years afterwards, the riverfront was the transition point between Dawson City and the rest of . . . — Map (db m44859) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Yukon Saw Mill Office Historic Site
The Yukon Saw Mill Company was one of the first to cut timber in the Klondike, registering its first timber lease in March of 1898. At its peak, the company’s machine shop was the largest north of Vancouver, and its lumberyard stretched over three . . . — Map (db m44761) HM
China, Beijing, Hǎidiàn Qū — Hall of Dispelling Clouds(Paiyun Dian) - 排 云 殿
The original construction here was the Hall of the Great Buddha of the Temple of Immense Gratitude and Longevity in the Garden of Clear Ripples. It was burned down by the Anglo-French Allied Forces in 1860 and reconstructed on its original site in . . . — Map (db m53920) HM
China, Beijing, Hǎidiàn Qū — Purple Heaven Hall紫 霄 殿 (Zixiao Dian)
Built in 1886, the hall was a lounge for princes, patriarchs and cabinet ministers when in the Summer Palace to celebrate Empress Dowager Cixi's birthdays. The cultural relics on display here are birthday presents from the princes, patriarchs and . . . — Map (db m53944) HM
Czech Republic, Ústecký (Okres Litoměřice), Terezín — Columbarium
In Czech: Kolumbárium Do choheb tohoto opevnění byly ukládaný lepenkové urny s popelem mrtvých vĕzňů. Všechny urny – bylo jich na 25 tisíc – esesáci koncem roku 1944 odvezli vĕtšinu popela . . . — Map (db m22744) HM
Czech Republic, Ústecký (Okres Litoměřice), Terezín — 15 — The Food StoreroomProviantní Sklad
In Czech: Proviantní Sklad Budova s jedním obdélníkovým nádvořím byla postavena v letech 1786 až 1789. V objektu se skladovala mouka, cukr, sůl, a pečivo. Spolu s Kavalírem č. II zde mohly být v připadě . . . — Map (db m22626) HM
Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo — The House of the RectoryCasa de la Rectoría
Conjunto original de tres casas del siglo XVI, con intervenciones continuas hasta convertirlas en un solo edificio, modificado a principio del siglo XX. Sirvió de hospital militar desde finales del siglo XIX. Fue parte de la sede de la Universidad . . . — Map (db m92722) HM
El Salvador, La Libertad, Santa Tecla — Santa Tecla Culture and Arts CenterEl Palacio Tecleña de la Cultura y las Artes
Símbolo de la reconstrucción del municipio, es una obra realizada durante la gestión del Alcalde Oscar Ortiz y su Concejo quienes la entregan a la gran familia tecleña Oscar Samuel Ortiz Ascencio - Alcalde ∙ Nery Arely Díaz de Rivera . . . — Map (db m80905) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador — Farmacia PrincipalPrincipal Pharmacy
Edificio Historico Demolido en 1994 y reconstruido entre 1994 y 1997 Profesional responsable Arq. Dagoberto Gavidia English translation: Historic Building Demolished in 1994 and reconstructed between 1994 and 1997 Architect Dagoberto . . . — Map (db m94701) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador — The National Palace of El SalvadorEl Palacio Nacional de El Salvador
El primitivo Palacio Nacional fue destruido por un incendio la noche del 19 de noviembre de 1889 Este Palacio Nacional se principió el año de 1904 y se terminó el año de 1911 durante la administracion del General Don Fernando Figueroa English . . . — Map (db m95011) HM
Estonia, Harjumaa MaakondTallinn — Suurgildi Hoone[The Great Guild] — PIKK 17
Estonian Text : … English Text : The Great Guild, which was an organisation for major merchants and dealt with international trade, had an official building built in 1407-17. The basements and walls of the dwelling that was . . . — Map (db m56996) HM
Estonia, Harjumaa MaakondTallinn — Residence of Konstantin Päts — [Finnish Embassy]
Text in Finnish: ... Text in Estonian:... Text in English: Konstantin Päts, first President of Estonia, lived in this building from 1922 to 1940. The Finnish Embassy was located here from 1923 to 1940, . . . — Map (db m57227) HM
Estonia, Harjumaa MaakondTallinn — Tallinn Town Hall - Anno 1404
The only surviving Gothic Town Hall in Northern Europe, the Town Hall in Tallinn was first mentioned in 1322. When the present day building was completed in 1402-1404, Tallinn was a flourishing Hanseatic city. The upper floor with its impressive . . . — Map (db m57129) HM
France, Aquitaine (Dordogne Département), Sarlat-la-Canéda — Hôtel de Carbonnier de Marzac[Hall of Carbonnier] Marzac] — Histoire de Sarlat
XVe siècle La famille hérita du château de Puymartin au XVIIIe siècle. Ce bâtiment servit de caserne de gendarmerie jusqu’en 1819.

[English translation by Google Translate , with modifications: Hall of Carbonnier Marzac fifteenth . . . — Map (db m60442) HM

France, Aquitaine (Dordogne Département), Sarlat-la-Canéda — Hôtel de Cervalè
XVIIe siècle Bâti par la famille de Marqueyssac, il passa à la famille de Cerval au XVIIIe siècle.

[English translation by Google Translate , with modifications: Hotel Cervalè seventeenth century Built by the family of Marqueyssac, it . . . — Map (db m60440) HM

France, Aquitaine (Dordogne Département), Sarlat-la-Canéda — Hôtel de Goudin[Hotel Goudin] — Histoire de Sarlat
. . . — Map (db m60419) HM
France, Aquitaine (Dordogne Départment), Sarlat-la-Canéda — Hôtel de Grézel[Grézel Hotel ] — Histoire de Sarlat
XVe siècle Hôtel du XIIIe siècle, embelli après la guerre de Cent Ans par un belle tour d’escalier marquant la noblesse du son propriétaire.

[English translation by Google Translate , with modifications: Hotel Grézel fifteenth . . . — Map (db m60418) HM

France, Aquitaine (Dordogne Départment), Sarlat-la-Canéda — Hôtel de Mirandol
XVIe siècle Le Comte de Mirandol fut député de la Dordogne en 1815.

[English translation by Google Translate , with modifications: Hotel Mirandol sixteenth century Count Mirandol was a member of the Dordogne in 1815. — Map (db m60436) HM

France, Aquitaine (Dordogne Départment), Sarlat-la-Canéda — Hôtel de VassalHistoire de Sarlat
Hôtel de Vassal XVe siècle Marqué par deux innovations: sa tour carrée et la tourelle jumelée en façade.

[English translation by Google Translate , with modifications: Hotel de Vassal fifteenth century Marked by two innovations: its . . . — Map (db m60435) HM

France, Aquitaine (Dordogne Départment), Sarlat-la-Canéda — Manoir de Gisson[Gisson Manor] — Histoire de Sarlat
XVe siècle Originellement du XIIIe siècle, it fut embelli après la guerre de Cent Ans, et doté d’une bell tour dite de nobléésse

[English translation by Google Translate , with modifications: Gisson Manor fifteenth century Originally . . . — Map (db m60420) HM

France, Aquitaine (Dordogne Départment), Vézac — Géologie, écologie et histoire de La Malartrie[Geology, ecology and history of the Malartrie] — Vezac
La falaise de La Malartrie est en calcaire du Crétacé (environ 85 millions d’années), formé par l’accumulation de débris vegétaux et minéraux au fond de la mer chaude que recouvrait alors le Périgord. Après le retrait définitif de cette dernière, . . . — Map (db m60503) HM
France, Aquitaine (Gironde Départment), Saint Emilion — L’ancienne Halle[The old Covered Market]
Ce bâtiment du XVIIIème siècle abrite, jusque bien après la Révolution Française, l’Hôtel de Ville, sa prision et sa halle où se tenaient certains marchés.

[English translation by Google Translate with modifications: The old covered market . . . — Map (db m60518) HM

France, Aquitaine (Gironde Départment), Saint Emilion — La Maison de la Cadene/La Porte de la Cadene[The House of the Chain/The Gate of the Chain]
La Maison de la Cadene Une charte de 1291 concéda à Guillaume Renaud de la Cadene un emplacement situé à la port du même non. La maison gothique qu’il y fit construire fut remplacée au début du XVIème siècle par une masion à pans de bois et en . . . — Map (db m60520) HM
France, Basse-Normandie (Calvados Département), Bayeux — Un édifice du Xe siècleA 10th Century Building — Bayeux, la Qualité a ses Racines
En française: La fouille archéologique pratiquée dans ce secteur a permis de mettre au jour un bâtiment rectangulaire date des IXe-Xe siècles, situé perpendiculairement au rempart et utilisant ce dernier comme pignon à . . . — Map (db m89005) HM
France, Île-de-France (Paris), Paris — La Conciergerie
La Conciergerie tient son nom du concierge, à qui le roi confie les droits de justice sur la demeure royale et ses dépendances. Du palais capétien de Philippe le Bel subsistent de rares salles gothiques, témoins des fastes royaux du XIVe siècle. Les . . . — Map (db m61578) HM
France, Île-de-France (Paris), Paris — La maison de Rose de RosimondHistoire de Paris
Né en 1645, Claude de La Rose, dit en Rosimond, écrivain à ses heures, est choisi pour succéder à Molière dans troupe des comédiens de roi, et comme lui, il meurt en scène, à l’issue d’une représentation du “Malade imaginaire”. Depuis . . . — Map (db m60878) HM
France, Île-de-France (Paris), Paris — Le Moulin de la GaletteHistoire de Paris
Plus qu’une institution, l’ancien “Blute-fin” est un monument, avec sa légende héroique; en 1814, lors du siege de Paris par les Cosaques, le dernier de quatre frères d’une dynastie de meuniers attestée depuis 1621, les Debray, finit . . . — Map (db m60876) HM
France, Languedoc-Roussillon (Hérault Département), Capestang — Porte de Béziers[The Bezier Gate]
L’enceinte du XIVème siècle, ponctuée de tours de diverses formes, disposait de cinq ports dont certaines avec « tour et maison attenante ». En 1775, les portes dites de Carcassonne, de Saïsses et de Béziers sont remises en état : elles sont en . . . — Map (db m60088) HM
France, Languedoc-Roussillon (Hérault Départment), Beziers — Hôtel de Ville[City Hall]
Hier Agora, Forum, Maison communale... aujourd’hui Hôtel de Ville. Au XIII siècle, les Consuls de Béziers, bénéficiant de l’une des plus anciennes chartes communales consenties en Languedoc (1185), édifient une première maison commune. Suivront . . . — Map (db m60252) HM
France, Languedoc-Roussillon (Hérault Départment), Capestang — La maison Lignon[The Lignon house]
La bâtisse actuelle est la version villageoise de cháteau pinardier. Ce bel exemple de maision bourgeoise de l’Age d’or de la viticulture de masse : toit d’ardoises, tourelle (1888) été restauré avec soin par Roger LILLLE. Sur cet emplacement se . . . — Map (db m60057) HM
France, Languedoc-Roussillon (Hérault Départment), Capestang — La maison romane[The Romanesque house]
La maison romane Construite probablement au XIIe siècle, elle a pu être la demeure d’un chanoine (ancienne rue de Chapitre). Au dessus du portall, I’inscription PAX DOMUI...M...AT, sûrement inspirée de l’évangile de Luc, renvoie à sa . . . — Map (db m60056) HM
France, Midi-Pyrénées (Tarn Département), Albi — Hôtel de Fenasse
La maison romane ou Hôtel de Fenasse (XIIe siècle) Ce bel hôtel de la seconde moitié du XIIe siècle fait partie des quelques édifices civils romans de la région Midi-Pyrénées. Il appartenait, à l’origine, à une riche famille albigeoise, les . . . — Map (db m60350) HM
France, Midi-Pyrénées (Tarn Département), Albi — Hôtel Reynes(XVIe siecle)
Fleuron de la Renaissance albigeoise, cet hôtel fut contruit pour Roger Reynès, marchand enrichi par le commerce du pastel au début XVIe siecle. À l’intérieur. Une belle cout associe briques et pierres; elle est bordée d’un côté, d’une . . . — Map (db m60290) HM
France, Midi-Pyrénées (Tarn Département), Albi — L’hôtel Séré de Rivières
L’hôtel Séré de Rivières, remanié aux XVIIe et XVIIIe siècles, conserve une belle porte et duex tours d’angle «en echauguette» , caractéristuques de la Renaissance. La famille Séré de Rivières, liée à l’histoire de la ville et au commerce du pastel . . . — Map (db m60371) HM
France, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur (Vaucluse Département), Bonnieux — 7 — Ancien Hotel de Ville ou Hotel de Rouvil
L’hôtel de Rouvil appartenait à une vieille famille de Bonnieux. Cet hôtel particulier est devenu la nouvelle maison commue en 1859, maison commune initialement installée rue Droite «rue étroite et escarpée qui n’est plus convenable au service de la . . . — Map (db m61977) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Tübingen District), Bebenhausen — Klostermühle / Monastery Mill
Untere mühle · erbaut 1447 aufgestockt 1780 · umbau zu e-werk 1900 unter König Wilhelm II · renoviert 1977 ————— 1978 Tübingen Stadtbild wettbewerb . . . — Map (db m77478) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — The Old Main WatchEhem. Hauptwache
[Marker text in German:] 1774 unter Fürstbischof Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim nach Plänen von J.E. Roppelt erbaut militärische Embleme von Johann Bernhard Kamm Repräsentationsgebäude der fürstbischöfliche Infantrie . . . — Map (db m58812) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — Dachau Bomb Disposal Unit
Zum Gedenken an das Bombensuchkommando des KZ Dachau, das in der Zeit vom Juli 1944 bis April 1945 hier untergebracht war. Die SS zwang die Häftlinge unter Einsatz ihres Lebens, Bomben in München zu bergen und zu entschärfen. Zahllose Gefangene . . . — Map (db m22415) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Nuremberg — Schürstab MansionSchürstabhaus - Mittelaltlicher Geschlechtersitz
[Marker text in German:] Bis 1328 Unholder Ministeriale 1328-1478 Schürstab Patrizierfamilie 1406 Prägende Baugestaltung durch Erhart d ä Schürstab 1482 Carl Schwerzer baulich Prägung und Einbau der Hauskapelle 1508-1518 . . . — Map (db m58731) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — The Lower Main Mill
Hier stand erbaut von Fürstbischof Iohann Philipp von Schönborn die Untere Mainmühle 1644-1921. An ihrer Stelle wurde in den Jahren 1921-1923 dieser Bau errichtet als erstes Kraftwerk der Grosschiffahrtstrasse Rhein-Main-Donau. . . . — Map (db m22827) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Ansbach District), Rothenburg ob der Tauber — Altes Rathaus / Old Town Hall
um 1250 event. erste Bauphase Erweiterung Ende des 14. Jahrh. (Kaisersaal) 1501 großer Brand 1551-1558 Wiederaufbau und Instandsetzung einschl. Turm (48m) in der heute vorhandenen Form . . . — Map (db m77606) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Ansbach District), Rothenburg ob der Tauber — Büttelhaus / Bailiff's House
Um 1250 Wahrscheinlich Erstanlage enge Verbindung mit älterem Markusturm Gefängniszellen in Haus und Turm 1510 Neubau 1945 Zerstört, Wiederaufbau 1959 Ab 1960 Stadtarchiv ———————— . . . — Map (db m77620) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Kreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — The Former Adminstrative BuildingEhemaliges Amtshaus
1580 wurde unter Fürstbischof Julius Echter dieser repräsentative Steinbau errichtet als Sitz der bischöflichen Verwaltung des Amtes Gerolzhofen. Neben den Bürostuben gab es im 2. Stockwerk auch Privatgemächer und eine kleine Kapelle, die der . . . — Map (db m77599) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Kitzingen), Iphofen — Iphofen City HallRathaus Iphofens
[Marker text in German:] Rathaus 1716-1718 erbaut von dem Würzburger Hofbaumeister Josef Greising. Unter der doppelläufigen Freitreppe Eingang zum Rathauskeller und zwei vergitterte Schandhäuschen anstelle eines Prangers. Über dem . . . — Map (db m57924) HM
Germany, Berlin — Charlottenburg PalaceSchloß Charlottenburg
Text in German... Text in English: The baroque Lietzenburg palace completed in 1699 was built by Arnold Nehring as a summer residence for Sophie Charlotte, the wife of Elector Friedrich III. After her death in 1705, the palace was . . . — Map (db m56273) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Lutherstadt Eisleben — Martin Luther Birthplace
In diesem hause wurde geboren Dr. M. Luther den 10. November 1483. ———————— In this house was born Dr. M. Luther on 10 November 1483. — Map (db m70146) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Mansfeld-Lutherstadt — History of the [Luther] HouseGeschichte des Hauses
1n 1507, Luther's father, Hans Luder, purchased the house - now known as the Parents' House [Elternhaus] - and owned it until the time of his death in 1530. Afterwards, ownership was transferred to Hans Luder's son Jacob. In a note dating from . . . — Map (db m70607) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — 7 — Cranach-Hof
Workshop on the Campus The courtyard complex at Schlossstraße 1 is a place of art, culture and education. Lucas Cranach the Elder acquired the property in 1518, which was described as the largest within the city walls, for use as his home . . . — Map (db m69719) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — 8 — Cranach-Hof
Workshop on the Campus The renovation of the Cranach-Hof was continued and completed as part of the International Building Exhibition Urban Redevelopment 2010. Lucas Cranach the Elder acquired the property in 1512, along with a license . . . — Map (db m69893) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — 3 — Jugendherberge
Youth on the Campus The renovation of the former deanery and its conversion into a youth hostel is part of the International Building Exhibition Urban Redevelopment 2010 in Lutherstadt Wittenberg. The deanery was built at the same time . . . — Map (db m69846) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Philipp Melanchthon House
Hier wohnte, lehrte und starb Philipp Melanchthon. ————————— Here lived, taught and died Philipp Melanchthon. — Map (db m69976) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — The Beyer CourtyDer Beyerhof
In 1512, the Electoral Chancellor and Wittenberg mayor Christian Beyer built a two-story house here. Around the middle of the 16th Century, the summer courtyard garden which can be reached through the arched gate was created. A third story was . . . — Map (db m69895) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — [Haus] zum Schwarzen Horn / The Black Horn
Fassade 1549 im Renaissance-Stil errichtet Druckerwerkstatt von Wolfgang Schenck (seit 1499) Mathis Maler (bis 1536) Hier wurden Martin Luthers Schriften und Adam Rieses Rechenbücher gedruckt . . . — Map (db m76992) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Collegium Maius1379 — Old University / Alte Universität Erfurt 1392-1816
Ehem. grosses kolleg und sitz des rektors der alma mater erfordiensis um 1500 - 1550 Durch bomben zerstört 9.Feb.1945 Teilrekonstruktion 1983 ———————— Former large lecture hall . . . — Map (db m76979) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Fish Market 22 / Coffee Mountain HouseFischmarkt 22 / Haus zum Kaffenberg
1310 Erste schriftliche Erwähnung als „das Anwesen, durch das man zur Synagoge geht” Besitzer ist der Jude Abraham, Sohn des David. Einen Teil des Grundstückes hatte bereits von dieser Zeit die Erfurter jüdische Gemeinde als Zugang zur . . . — Map (db m82773) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Functional Housing Prototype at Johannes TowerFunktionsmusterbau am Johannesturm — Erected 1983 - 1985 errichtet
Musterbau der flächenhaften Stadterneuerung im Rahmen einer differenzierten architektonischen und städtebaulichen Gestaltung im industriellen Wohnungsbau. Auftakt zur Umgestaltung der nördlichen innerstadtbereiche in den letzten Jahren der DDR. . . . — Map (db m76960) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — General Medical Insurance Building (AOK)Gebäude der Allgemeinen Ortskrankenkasse (AOK)
1930 errichtet Funktionalbau im Stil der Neuen Sachlichkeit Architekt Theo Kellner Bildhauer Hans Walther ———————— Built in 1930 Functionally built in the New Objectivity style . . . — Map (db m76964) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — House for the Great Ark of Noah and EngelsburgZur Grossen Arche Noah und Engelsburg — Old University / Alte Universität Erfurt 1392-1816
Um 1392 Wohnhaus des Amplonius Ratingk 1565 im Stil der Renaissance umgebaut Druckerwerkstatt von Melchior Sachse seit 1525 Hier wurde Luthers Bibel- übersetzung und der Straßburger Eulenspiegel gedruckt . . . — Map (db m76977) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Rathaus / City Hall
1275 Vorgängerbau erstmals erwähnt 1869-82 neogotischer Neubau Neogotische Innenausstattung mit Gemälden zur Geschichte Erfurts und Thüringens ——————— Predecessor mentioned in 1275 for the . . . — Map (db m77764) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Sparkasse am Fishmarkt / Savings on Fish Market
Sparkasse am Fischmartk 1934/35 errichtet Bau im Stil der neuen Sachlichkeit Reliefgestaltung zum Thema „Die Laster und die Tugenden” Bildhauer Hans Walther ———————— Savings . . . — Map (db m77071) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Zum Güldenen Krönbacken
Mittelalterliches Gebäude, 1534 und 1561 im Renaissance - Stil umgebaut Im Innern gotische Architekur - elemente erhalten; Waidheimulerhaus mit großen Waidspeicher im Hof English translation: Medieval building, 1534 . . . — Map (db m82806) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Zum Roten Ochsen / The Red Ox
Um 1250 erwähnt 1562 im Hochrenaissance - Stil erbaut Waidhändlerhaus; wird seit 1978 als Kunstgalerie genutzt ———————— Mentioned around 1250 Re-built 1562 in the High Renaissance . . . — Map (db m77042) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The Parthenon
English Text The Parthenon was a temple dedicated to Athena Parthenos (Virgin). It is built in the Doric order and made of white Pentelic marble with a width of 30.86 meters, a length of 69.51 meters and a height of 15 meters. It has an . . . — Map (db m85214) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala, Guatemala City — Miltary Academy of GuatemalaLa Escuela Politecnica
A sus fundadores: General Miguel Garcia Granados General Justo Rufino Barrios Comte. Bernardo Garrido y Agustino 1873     1o. de Septiembre     1948 English translation: To its founders: General Miguel Garcia . . . — Map (db m80201) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez, Antigua Guatemala — Palace of the Captaincy GeneralPalacio de los Capitanes Generales
Palacio de los Capitanes Generales del Reyno de Goathemala Durante 231 años esta ciudad fue la metropoli de Centro America English translation: Palace of the Captaincy General of the Kingdom of Goathemala During 231 years this city . . . — Map (db m71316) HM
Ireland, Connacht (County Galway), Inishmore, Aran Islands — Dún Aonghus
This, one of the finest prehistoric fortresses in Western Europe, consists of three dry-stone ramparts, and the remains of a fourth, the outermost of which encloses an area of 11 acres. Outside the second rampart there is a 30 foot band of . . . — Map (db m25053) HM
Ireland, Connacht (County Mayo), Murrisk — Murrisk Abbey / National Famine Monument / Statue of St PatrickClew Bay Archaeological Trail sites 6, 7, 8Slí Seandálaíochta Chuan Módh
Murrisk Abbey • site 6 Muraisc - Sea Marsh Murrisk Abbey was founded circa 1456 by the Augustinian Friars because “the inhabitants of those parts have not hitherto been instructed in their faith.” It quickly . . . — Map (db m27757) HM
Ireland, Connacht (County Mayo), Murrisk — Murrisk Friary / Mainistir Mhuraisce
Murrisk - from Muraisc (Sea-marsh) Murrisk Friary This small house of Augustinian friars, located here on the south shore of Clew Bay in the shadow of Croagh Patrick, was founded in 1457 by Hugh O'Malley. It was dedicated . . . — Map (db m27587) HM
Ireland, Connacht (County Roscommon), Strokestown — Dr. Dudley Forde House
Fine example of town's Georgian architecture. Home of Dr. Dudley Forde popular medical practitioner in this area for many years Died 1945 — Map (db m27557) HM
Ireland, Connacht (County Roscommon), Strokestown — Mahon Dower House
Former Mahon Dower House Originally constructed in 1740's later used as Scoil Mhuire Secondary School until 1967 — Map (db m27538) HM
Ireland, Connacht (County Roscommon), Strokestown — Strokestown Brewery
Brewery here in early 18th century — Map (db m27548) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Castle HallHalla an Chaisleáin
Castle Hall The causeway entrance to the 13th century Dublin Castle lies under this building on the North/South axis. The Bedford Tower was built on the medieval entrance towers. This building, comprising of the former Genealogical Office and . . . — Map (db m22435) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Leinster HouseMalton Trail
Since 1924, Leinster House has been the seat of the two houses of the Oireachtas, Dail and Seanad (Irish Parliament and Senate), who meet here a total of 90 days a year. Designed in 1745 by the architect Richard Cassels, who also designed the . . . — Map (db m22459) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Oscar Wilde House
Oscar Wilde 1854 - 1900 Poet, Dramatist, Wit Lived Here 1855 to 1878 — Map (db m24754) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Saint Patrick’s ParkPáirc Naomh Pádraig
Tradition has it that Saint Patrick baptised the first Irish Christians in a well, situated here in St. Patrick's Park, with water from the River Poddle, which still flows underground. A small wooden church was erected here to commemorate the . . . — Map (db m22468) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Sir William Robert Wills Wilde1815 - 1876
aural and ophthalmic surgeon, archaeologist, ethnologist, antiquarian, biographer, statistician, naturalist, topographer, historian, folklorist, lived in this house from 1855 to 1876 — Map (db m24755) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — St. Patrick's CathedralMalton Trail
This majestic view of St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin is a colour reproduction from a series of original aquatints etched by James Malton, whose work, A Picturesque and Descriptive View of the City of Dublin, gives us a glimpse of Dublin at the . . . — Map (db m22465) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Fingal), Howth — Balscadden House
W. B. Yeats Poet Lived Here • 1880-1883 “I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams” — Map (db m24771) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Fingal), Howth — St Mary's Church / Eaglais Mhuire
Howth from Old Norse Hofuth (a promontory); Binn Éadair (the hill of Éadar) is the Irish name. This church, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, was collegiate; that is, it was served by a college or community of . . . — Map (db m27183) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Laois), Borris In Ossory — Millenium Fountain
The threshold and other rough stone was salvaged from one of the last thatched houses in the village. It was demolished in the year 2000. — Map (db m24721) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Longford), Kenagh — fáilte go Kenagh
Brief History of Longford Longford is a focal point of the northern midlands where the provinces of Leinster, Ulster and Connaught all converge. Longford, where history and literature, tradegy and triumph are all woven together, takes its . . . — Map (db m27946) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Louth), Monasterboice — 98 — Round Tower / An Cloigtheach
Round Tower The round tower was the Irish reaction to the Norse raids on monasteries in the 10th/11th century A.D. These tapering buildings, over 100 feet high, served as watch-towers, belfries, repositories for church valuables and as . . . — Map (db m24693) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Louth), Monasterboice — 98 — The North Church / An Teampall Thuaidh
A 13th century reconstruction on the foundations of an earlier monastic building, used as a small parochial church after the monastery at Monasterboice had come to an end. It remains little of architectural interest. The east windows and most of . . . — Map (db m24694) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Bective — Bective Abbey / Mainistir Bheigtí
Bective Abbey — from Mainistir Bheigthí (Abbey of Beigtheach) This Cistercian abbey was founded in 1147 as a “daughter house” of Mellifont Abbey. The community here was Anglo-Norman. In 1386 men of Irish birth . . . — Map (db m24752) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Donaghmore — Donaghmore Church and Round TowerDomhnach Mór agus Cloightheach
Donaghmore Church and Round Tower A monastery was reputedly founded here in the 5th century by St Patrick, who placed it in the care of St Cassán, whose relics were venerated here. The Round Tower was not built until the 11th or 12th century. . . . — Map (db m22542) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Duleek — Connell's HouseDuleek Heritage Trail
Close to the Courthouse along the western perimeter of the village green is Connell's House, the oldest house in Duleek. This building was in existence at the time of the famous Battle of the Boyne in 1690. — Map (db m24793) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Duleek — Duleek CourthouseDuleek Heritage Trail
Duleek Courthouse was built in 1838 by John Trotter as a sessions house for the Meath Grand Jury. It was designed by Francis Johnston. The main architectural features are the Doric door-case and fanlight, a simplified eaves pediment and corner . . . — Map (db m24803) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Duleek — Parochial HouseDuleek Heritage Trail
The original house was built in 1795. It was built in three stages and was acquired by Fr John Kearney to accommodate the parish priest and the curate. It was re-roofed in 1993 and presides over the very elegant village green. At the back of the . . . — Map (db m24801) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Kells — Kells Courthouse
The courthouse, built in 1801, was designed by the prominent Irish architect Francis Johnston. Johnston also designed the General Post Office and Nelson's Pillar in Dublin, and Townley Hall, County Louth. A Vantage Point to the Past . . . — Map (db m27340) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Kells — Kells Round TowerKells Heritage Trail
This tower is located on the grounds of St Columba's church and was built in the 10th century as part of the early Christian monastery. Such towers were referred to as a cloigteach meaning bell tower. Modelled on early Italian belfries, they were . . . — Map (db m26440) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Kells — St Columba's ChurchKells Heritage Trail
Diarmuld MacCarroll, High King of Tara, is said to have granted the dun of Cenannus to St Columcille in the 6th century for the purpose of establishing a monastery. This may explain why in 804 the Columban community on the island of Iona . . . — Map (db m26444) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Trim — Newtowntrim Cathedral / Ardeaglais an Bhaile NuaCathedral of Saints Peter and Paul — Ardeaglais nPheadair agus nPhóil
The priory of Newtowntrim was founded in 1202 by Simon de Rochfort, Bishop of Meath, for a community of Augustinian canons (priests). As well as functioning as part of the monastery, the church became the cathedral for the diocese of Meath after . . . — Map (db m27240) HM
Ireland, Munster (County Clare), Kilfenora — Historic Kilfenora / Cill Fhionnúrach Stairiúil
Historic Kilfenora The monastery of Kilfenora or Chill Fhionnúrach (the church of the white brow) is said to have been founded in the 6th century by St. Fachnan. The outline of the early monastic circular enclosure can still be traced in the . . . — Map (db m23694) HM
Ireland, Munster (County Clare), Kilfenora — Kilfenora Cathedral and High CrossesArdeaglais agus Ardchrosanna Chill Fhionnúrach
Kilfenora was the diocese of the Kingdom of Corcomroe and was the smallest diocese in medieval Ireland. Although a monastery was founded here more than 500 years earlier by St Fachtna, Kilfenora only became significant when it was officially . . . — Map (db m22990) HM
Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Fahan — Dunbeg Promontory Fort / An Dún Beag
Dunbeg Promontory Fort This Promontory Fort consists of four fosses (ditches) and five mounds. Behind this we have the terraced dry-stone masonry rampart, originally straight but which became curved during later construction work. The . . . — Map (db m24780) HM
Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Gallarus — Gallarus Oratory / Séipéilín Ghallarais
Built around the 7th or 8th century this Oratory resembles an inverted boat. This is the only perfect remaining example of a number of small corbel-built Oratories on a rectangular plan. The outward inclination of the bed joints of the stonework . . . — Map (db m23499) HM
Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Kilmalkedar — Kilmalkedar Church / Cill Mhaoilchéadair
Kilmalkedar — from Cill Mhaoilchéadair (the Church of Mhaoilchéadair) Kilmalkedar Church Kilmalkedar, one of the most important early church sites on the Dingle peninsula, is traditionally associated with St. Brendan but it . . . — Map (db m24299) HM
Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Listowel — Maid of Erin
Work of local man Pat McAuliffe 1846-1921 — Map (db m23698) HM
Ireland, Munster (County Limerick), Abbeyfeale — Thatched Chapel Cross
Cross from thatched chapel where many generations of Abbeyfeale people worshipped until St. Mary's Church was built in 1846 — Map (db m24738) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Double Gate Monumental Stairs and Observation Plaza
The Restoration Project of the Second Temple Period Double Gate Monumental Stairs and Observation Plaza — Map (db m63963) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Ritual Baths and Water Conduits
The Restoration Project of the Second Temple period Ritual Baths and Water Conduits in the area south of the Temple Mount Enclosure — Map (db m63951) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — The Pool of Shiloah (Siloam)Second Temple Splendor
"The other events of Hezekiah's reign, and all his exploits, and all his exploits, and how he made the pool and the conduit and brought the water into the city, are recorded in the Annals of the Kings of Judah" (II Kings 20:20) . . . — Map (db m63905) HM
Italy, Campania (Naples Province), Pompei — Teatro Grande e Quadriportico/Great Theatre and Quadriporticus — Pompeiviva
Il Teatro Grande fu costruito nel II secolo II a.C., addossando la struttura ad una collina lavica e ristrutturato in epoca augustea. La cavea costituita da gradini in tufo o calcare, ospitava circa 5000 persone in tre zone separate da corridoi . . . — Map (db m47980) HM
Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Anfiteatro Flavio/The Flavian Amphitheatre
L’Anfiteatro Flavio, grande edificio pubblico destinato a spettacoli di enorme popolarita, quali le cacce e I combattimenti gladiatori, fu edificato, in luogo del lago atificiale dela Domus Aurea neronicana, dagli imperatori della dinastia . . . — Map (db m47676) HM
Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Hotel Tiziano

The building hosting the Hotel Tiziano was reconstructed in Corso Vittorio Emanuele II between the years 1886 and 1888 by an architect native of the Ticino region but Roman of birth and culture, Gaetano Koch (1849-1910). The elegant . . . — Map (db m89063) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — St. Regis GrandArchitetto: Guilio Podesti (1857 - 1909)

The Grand Hotel of Rome has recently been bought and refurbished by a multinational company which has named it the St. Regis Grand. Conceived by the renowned hotelier César Ritz at the suggestion of the then Italian Prime Minister, Marquis . . . — Map (db m85951) HM

Italy, South Tyrol, Bolzano — Residence of the Troilo FamilyResidenza Troilo — Troyburg
The text of this marker is in three languages; Italian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Edificio di impianto tardo-medievale amplliato nel tardo Cinquecento, originaria dimora dell’omonima famiglia di mercanti roveretani. . . . — Map (db m68725) HM
Mexico, Chihuahua, Puerto Palomas de Villa — City Hall
Presidencia Seccional Siendo Gobernador Del Estado El C.C.P. Patricio Martinez Garcia Y Presidente Municipal El C. Fernando Castañeda Barraza Fue Construido e Inaugurado Este Edificio. H. Ayuntamiento 2001-2004 Puerto . . . — Map (db m37822) HM
Mexico, Chihuahua, Puerto Palomas de Villa — Presidency Building
Siendo Presidenta Seccional La C. Maria Elpidia Lopex Mtz. Se Construyo El Segundo Piso De Esta "Presidencia" Durante La Administracion, 2007-2010 Puerto Palomas De Villa. Ascension Chih., 15 De Septiembre 2010 English . . . — Map (db m37823) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Hernán Cortés´ ResidencesCasas de Cortés
Desde esta esquina hasta las del Empedradillo y Plateros estuvieron las casas de Cortes 1524 Catálogo de la Insp. Gral. de Monumentos Artísticos e Históricos English translation: Cortés had houses that reached from this corner to the . . . — Map (db m90823) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — Palace of AxayacatlPalacio de Axayácatl
Aqui estuvo el palacio de Axayacatl en donde fué alojado Cortés a su llegada 1519 Catálogo de la Insp. Gral. de Monumentos Artísticos e Históricos English translation: Here was the Palace of Axayácatl where Cortés stayed after his . . . — Map (db m90245) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — The Dolphin House/House of the Marquess of Sierra NevadaLa Casa del los Delfines/La Casa de la Marquesa de Sierra Nevada
La Casa del los Delfines Fue el antiguo rancho de las Palmas. Data del siglo XVIII. Su fachada está adornada con delfines hechos de piedra y otros ornamentos tallados. La Casa de la Marquesa de Sierra Nevada Casa de una planta de estilo barroco . . . — Map (db m91154) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — The Military College of MexicoColegio Militar de Mexico
En este edificio se alojo el Colegio Militar de 1845 ∙ 1847, 1849 ∙ 1858, 1861 ∙ 1863 y de 1883 ∙ 1914. 1920 ∙ 1970 Cincuentenario de su reapertura 5 de febrero de 1970 English translation: In this . . . — Map (db m92029) HM
Netherland Antilles, Sint Maarten, Philipsburg — The Old Police Station — Historic Sint Maarten Remembered
Until it was demolished in 1937, this warehouse building, bearing a remarkable resemblance to a modern-day army barracks, was a home to the Island police force. Police officers stationed on St. Maarten were trained and recruited on the sister island . . . — Map (db m40644) HM
Netherlands Antilles, Sint Maarten, Philipsburg — Frontstreet MerchantsHome and Business — Historic Sint Maarten Remembered
The deep roof structures combined with a wood shingle exterior on these buildings typify many of the beautiful and historic homes found in the quaint town of Philipsburg at the turn of the century. Buildings such as these doubled as homes and stores . . . — Map (db m40498) HM
Philippines, Cavite Province, Corregidor Island — Corregidor Lighthouse
Corregidor Lighthouse is a functioning historic lighthouse located 6,972 miles west-southwest of San Francisco, 3,044 miles north-northeast of Sydney, Australia, 692 miles south of Hong Kong and 628 feet above sea level, on the topside of . . . — Map (db m64518) HM
Philippines, Manila, Binondo — Ang Tahanan ng Kaanak ni Rizal 1903 Daang San Fernando, MaynilaHouse of Rizal's Relatives — 1903 San Fernando Street, Manila
In Tagalog: Si Teodora Alonzo, ina in Rizal, ay namatay noong ika-16 ng Agosto ng 1911 sa isang bahay na nakatayo sa pook na ito (ngayo'y blg, 476-478) at ari ni Gng. Luisa Lichauco. Translated, the marker reads: Teodora . . . — Map (db m25025) HM
Philippines, Manila, Ermita — Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of the PhilippinesPlaridel Masonic Temple
In Tagalog: Nagunguna, Independiente at Pambansang Institusyong Masoniko. Itinatag ng tatlong Lohiyang Amerikano sa pahintulot ng Grand Lodge of California ng Estados Unidos ng Amerika, sa kumbensyon sa templo ng masoniko, San Luis (ngayon . . . — Map (db m25096) HM
Philippines, Manila, Ermita — Manila Metropolitan Theater
In Tagalog: Nagsimula bilang isang pambansang tanghalan ayon sa disenyo ni arkitekto Juan Arellano. Pinasinayaan noong 1931. Naging tanghalan ng mga artistanf Pilipino at banyaga. Nagpalabas ng mga opera, pageant, at dulang Kastila at Ingles . . . — Map (db m25090) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Ateneo de Manila
Here once stood the Ateneo de Manila. Founded in 1817 as Escuela Pia de Manila. Administered by government in 1831 and renamed Escuela Municipak de Manila. Turned over to the Jesuits in 1859. Renamed Ateneo Municipak de Manila in 1865. Exclusive . . . — Map (db m25162) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — AyuntamientoCasa Consistoriales
In Tagalog: Ipinatayong tahanang ng Cabildo at iba pang pinuno ng pamahalaan ng Lungsod ng Maynila. Inilagay ang panulukang bato, 1735 natapos, 1738. Nasira ng lindol 1863; muling ipinatayo, 1879. Naging luklukan ng Pamahalaang kolonyal na . . . — Map (db m25157) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Beaterio de la Compañia de Jesus
On this site stood the house of the Beaterio de la Compañia de Jesus, first Filipino congregation of religous women. Founded in 1684 by Ignacia del Espiritu Santo, a Chinese mestiza from Binondo. The Archbishop of Manila approved the rules of the . . . — Map (db m25230) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Former Palace of the Governors GeneralPalacio del Gobernador
This site was formerly occupied by the stately residence of Captain Manuel Estacio Venegas, Secretary to Governor General Diego Fajardo. Venegas died on March 7, 1660, a prisoner at Fort Santiago. His residence was confiscated and became the Palace . . . — Map (db m25155) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Manila CathedralRoman Catholic Cathedral of Manila
First cathedral built in 1581. Damaged by a typhoon, 1582 and destroyed by fire, 1583. Second Cathedral built of stone in 1592 and partially destroyed by earthquake, 1600. Third Cathedral built in 1614 and destroyed by the earthquake of 1645. Fourth . . . — Map (db m25153) HM
Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Palacio Arzobispal
Here once stood the Archbishop's Palace. Acquired by Archbishop Miguel de Poblete (1653-1667) for use as residence. Housed the offices of the Archbishop of Manila and the Catholic Church in the Philippines. Underwent major repairs after damage from . . . — Map (db m25160) HM
Russia, Northwestern Federal District (Leningrad Oblast), St. Petersburg — Church of the Resurrection of Christ"Church of Our Savior on the Blood"
[Text in Russian] … Text in English: The Church of the Resurrection of Christ is built on the site where the Emperor Alexander II was mortally wounded on 1 March 1881, to the eternal memory of the Tsar Liberator, with the blessed . . . — Map (db m56755) HM
Saint Lucia, Castries — Government House Saint Lucia
Official Residence of the Governor-General Designed by Mr. C. Messervy Colonial Engineer Foundation stone laid October 15, 1894 Smaller marker: This plaque was unveiled by HRH The Duke of York KCVO, ADC on the 22nd February 2004 in . . . — Map (db m94171) HM
South Africa, Eastern Cape, Grahamstown — The Yellow House
The erection of this building - the oldest in this town, was commenced in 1813 or 1814. It served as a gaol until 1824. Later it became the Grahamstown Public School, and subsequently the first public library (1842 - 1863). The north wall was taken . . . — Map (db m62649) HM
Switzerland, Lucerne (Lucerne (District)) — "By the Storks"Zum Storchen
Erbaut in der ersten Hälfte des 16. Jahrhanderts als Wirthaus << St. Anna >>. Mehrmals ungebaut. Aus dem 16. Jahrhundert ist im ersten Obergeschoss die ehemalige Gaststube mit gotishcher Balkendecke un Relieftafel erhalten. Fasssadenmalerei . . . — Map (db m67537) HM
Switzerland, Lucerne (Lucerne (District)) — Louis Pfyffer von Wyher
Ehemaliges Landhaus des Generalleutnants Louis Pfyffer von Wyher 1716 – 1802 Topograph Ersteller schweizerischer Reliefs Erbaut 1709 Erweitert 1808 Seit 1807 Gesellschaftshaus der Herren zu Schuetzen RFB 1977 . . . — Map (db m67767) HM
Switzerland, Lucerne (Lucerne (District)) — Metzgerrainli 6
Bürgerhaus aus dem 16. Jahrhundert. Im Innern Fresken aus der Entstehungszeit. Fassadenmalerei in Sgraffitotechnik 1885, von Seraphin Weingartner, teilweise Neugestaltung 1973 durch Steivan Könz. Unter Denkmalschutz seit 1968 1973 -1975 . . . — Map (db m67499) HM
Switzerland, Lucerne (Lucerne (District)) — Pfyffer-Cloos-HousePfyffer-Cloos-Haus
Erbaut um die Mitte des 16. Jahrhunderts fur Schultheiss Jost Pfyffer-Cloos. Auf der Rückseite spätgotischer Treppenturm und kleiner ummauerter Hof. Im Innern des Hauses Fresken, wohl von Martin Moser, aus der Mitte des 16. Jahrhunderts. . . . — Map (db m67514) HM
Switzerland, Lucerne (Lucerne (District)) — Ritter PalaceRitterscher Palast
Als Wohnsitz für Schultheiss Lux Ritter von Domenico Solbiolo aus Ponte Caprisca entworfen und unter der Leitung von Pietro del Grilio aus Lugano 1556 – 1564 erbaut. Nach dem Tode Ritters sorgte der Rat für die Vollendung des Renaissancebaus . . . — Map (db m67733) HM
Switzerland, Lucerne (Lucerne (District)) — Stammhaus Corragioni D’Orelli
Stammhaus Corragioni D’Orelli v. Broglio Maggiatal Eingebürgert 1669 Letzter Stammhalter † 1944 German-English translation: Family Headquarters of the Corragioni D'Orelli from Broglio, Maggiatal Granted citizenship in . . . — Map (db m67501) HM
Switzerland, Lucerne (Lucerne (District)) — The Old ArmoryAltes Zeughaus — (Seit 1986 Historisches Museum / Historical Museum since 1986)
Das Werkhaus an der Spreuerbrücke diente seit 1472 als Zeughaus. Diesen ein Kornmagazin eingerichtet war. 1566 wurde das Haus weggeschwemmt. 1567 – 1569 entstand das heutige Gebäude als Zeughaus, in der Art typischer, spätgotischer . . . — Map (db m67747) HM
Switzerland, Lucerne (Lucerne (District)) — The Pfyffer Student HousePfyffersches Stipendihaus
Erbaut 1579 für Rudolf Pfyffer. 1584 uberlassen die Brüder Rudolf, Ludwig und Jost Pryffer das Haus de Jesuiten zur Unterbringung von Studierenden des nahen Jesuitengymnasiums. Das Haus blieb bis 1811 im Besitze der Familie Pfyffer. 1824 . . . — Map (db m67744) HM
Switzerland, Lucerne (Lucerne (District)) — The Singer HouseSingerhaus
Im 15. Jahrhundert Standort der ersten luzernischen Münzstatte. Architekt Jakob Singer baute sich um 1759 dieses Haus als Voraussetzung zur Erlangung des städtischen Burgerrechtes. Die für die Innerschweiz bedeutende Baumeisterfamilie Singer, . . . — Map (db m67743) HM
Switzerland, Lucerne (Lucerne (District)) — The Sonnenberg House in ZoepfliSonnenberghaus im Zöpfli
Sonnenberghaus im Zöpfli Schon in der Diebold-Schilling-Chronik von 1513 erscheint an dieser Stelle ein hölzernes Wohnhaus. Dieses wurde 1662 neuerbaut. 1787 erwarb Marschall Jakob Anton Thüring von Sonnenberg Haus und Liegenschaft für . . . — Map (db m67498) HM

9292 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers were listed. Next 9042
Paid Advertisement
Categories20th CenturyAbolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansAgricultureAir & SpaceAnimalsAntebellum South, USAnthropologyArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicAsian AmericansBridges & ViaductsCemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public WorkChurches, Etc.Civil RightsColonial EraCommunicationsDisastersEducationEntertainmentEnvironmentExplorationForts, CastlesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernmentHeroesHispanic AmericansHorticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceLabor UnionsLandmarksMan-Made FeaturesMilitaryNative AmericansNatural FeaturesNatural ResourcesNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesPaleontologyPatriots & PatriotismPeacePolitical SubdivisionsPoliticsRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesScience & MedicineSettlements & SettlersSportsWar of 1812War, 1st Iraq & Desert StormWar, 2nd IraqWar, AfghanistanWar, ColdWar, French and IndianWar, KoreanWar, Mexican-AmericanWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, Texas IndependenceWar, US CivilWar, US RevolutionaryWar, VietnamWar, World IWar, World IIWars, Non-USWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels
States or ProvincesAlabamaAlaskaAlbertaArizonaArkansasBritish ColumbiaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareDistrict of ColumbiaFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineManitobaMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew BrunswickNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNewfoundland and LabradorNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaNova ScotiaOhioOklahomaOntarioOregonPennsylvaniaPrince Edward IslandPuerto RicoQuebecRhode IslandSaskatchewanSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyomingYukon Territory
CountriesArgentinaAustraliaAustriaBahamasBelgiumBelizeBrazilCanadaChinaCosta RicaCzech RepublicDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEstoniaFinlandFranceGermanyGreeceGrenadaGuatemalaGuyanaHondurasHungaryIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaKiribatiLiechtensteinLuxembourgMalaysiaMexicoNetherlands AntillesNew ZealandNicaraguaPalestinian TerritoriesPhilippinesRussiaSaint LuciaScotland, UKSingaporeSouth AfricaSouth KoreaSwedenSwitzerlandThailandTurkeyTurks and Caicos IslandsU.S Virgin IslandsUkraineUnited KingdomU.S.A.