Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Bridges & Viaducts Historical Markers

1113 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers are listed. Next 863
JTE Whigham Bridge image, Click for more information
By Mark Hilton, February 16, 2014
JTE Whigham Bridge
Alabama (Barbour County), Blue Springs — Pea River Electric Membership Corporation
The Pea River Electric Membership Corporation was energized on this site on June 8, 1939. This rural electric cooperative was organized under an executive order signed by President F. D. Roosevelt on May 11, 1935. Rural members of Barbour, Dale . . . — Map (db m71804) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Sheffield — Old Railroad Bridge
(obverse) In 1832, the Alabama legislature authorized the Florence Bridge Company to construct this bridge across the Tennessee River. In 1840, it opened as a toll bridge. Twice damaged by storms, it was reopened in 1858 as a double-decked . . . — Map (db m40596) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Clarkson Covered BridgeSometimes Called Legg Bridge
This 270 foot bridge was constructed in 1904, destroyed by a flood in 1921 and rebuilt the following year. The only remaining covered bridge in Cullman County, it was restored by the Cullman County Commission in 1975 as an American Revolution . . . — Map (db m33833) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Ariton — Veterans Memorial Bridge - 1921 / Grist Mill - Indian Battle - Recreation
(Front):Veterans Memorial Bridge - 1921This reinforced concrete river bridge, thought to be the first in Alabama. Was erected over Pea River in 1920-21 at a cost of $92,108.97. It was dedicated on August 3, 1921 as a memorial to the 57 men . . . — Map (db m36511) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Edmund Pettus BridgeNational Historic Landmark
Edmund Pettus Bridge has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance for its association with "Bloody Sunday," a seminal event in the Civil Rights Movement. Here, on March 7, 1965, . . . — Map (db m82037) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Site of Selma-Dallas County’s 1st Bridge 1884-1940
Toll Fees (Until 1900) 5¢ Pedestrians 10¢ Peddlers, Horseman 25¢ 1 Horse Buggy 50¢ 2 Horse Buggy 75¢ 4 Horse Buggy Camelback type High Truss Bridge 1- 228’ Swing Span 2- 200’ Fixed Spans 1- 265’ Approach Built by . . . — Map (db m37670) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Wetumpka — Wetumpka Historical Marker
(obverse) The land area which now comprises the City of Wetumpka was inhabited by various Indian cultures prior to the inward migration of the white man at the turn of the 19th century. The largest Indian village near here was located on . . . — Map (db m67936) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Wetumpka — Wetumpka's Bridges
(side 1) In 1834, the Wetumpka Toll Bridge Co. built the first of four bridges spanning the Coosa River at this site. It was destroyed in a flood in 1844. A second toll bridge was completed the same year by John Godwin whose slave, . . . — Map (db m69449) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Shorterville — Chattahoochee River Crossing
First settler crossings were made here prior to 1817 on a log ferry operated by Robert Irwin. First bridge built by Prescott and Bemis and destroyed by flood of 1855. Second wooden covered bridge was completed in 1869 by ex-slave Horace King. Third . . . — Map (db m71843) HM
Alabama (Jackson County), Bridgeport — Bridgeport
Vital Memphis-Charleston Railroad, "backbone of Confederacy", spanned Tennessee River here. Bridge burned several times, 1862-3. Gen. Mitchell (US), occupying Huntsville after Battle of Shiloh, seized Bridgeport in April 1862 and held it . . . — Map (db m83788) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Rainbow ViaductDedicated to the Brave Men of the 167th Infantry who fought to Preserve Our Freedom
On May 10, 1919, soon after its completion, this 21st Street Viaduct was named the Rainbow Viaduct in tribute to Alabama's famous 167th Infantry of the Rainbow Division, renowned for Bravery and Honor. The 167th was the Nation's only regiment in . . . — Map (db m83860) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Ross Bridge
In 1858 James Taylor Ross, a Scotchman, migrated to the South, acquired land and homesteaded in what is now Shades Valley. He provided land for the construction of a railway, including a bridge spanning Ross Creek. After the Ross family moved . . . — Map (db m27302) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Ezra Lee CulverCity of Florence Walk of Honor
With a fourth grade education, Ezra Culver employed his own innovative concrete process in major 20th century projects. His construction experience included work on Yankee Stadium, Lincoln Tunnel and the Florida Keys bridges. — Map (db m29269) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Chewacla State Park(CCC)
Side 1 Under President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal (1933-1942), the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established to provide work for single young men. The CCC's Company 4448, Camp Alabama SP-12, began work in September 1935 to . . . — Map (db m85164) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Salem Shotwell Covered Bridge
obverse This is the last surviving covered bridge in Lee County. It was constructed about 1900 by Otto Puls over Wacoochee Creek in the Town's lattice truss design. Materials used in the 75 foot long bridge included longleaf heart pine, . . . — Map (db m85337) HM
Alabama (Monroe County), Goodway — Old Federal Road
John Poebles had an established toll bridge over Little Escambia Creek in the early 1800’s. A dispute over the bridge arose between Poebles and John Hollinger. As a result Hollinger built a toll free bridge adjacent to Poebles’ toll bridge. — Map (db m84378) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Union Station & Riverfront Park
Transportation center of Montgomery located in this area for many years. First steamboat, the "Harriet," landed nearby 1821. City wharf constructed at landing place 1823. First railroad, Montgomery & West Point R.R., developed ca. 1840. By 1900 most . . . — Map (db m86470) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Hartselle — Skirmish at Woodall's BridgeApril 7, 1864
An estimated 600 Confederate and Union troops skirmished on this site on April 7, 1864 for control of crucial troop movements south of the Tennessee River during the Federal occupation of North Alabama. Confederate Brigadier General James . . . — Map (db m72810) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Before The Battle / Battle Of Girard
(obverse) Before The Battle All day that Easter Sunday the Confederate forces commanded by Col. Leon von Zinken awaited the Union Army they knew was on the way from Tuskegee. Lacking the men needed to hold it, they were forced to . . . — Map (db m69058) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Confederates Set Fire To Lower Bridge
Early in the afternoon of April 16, 1865 the first major act in the Battle of Girard-Columbus took place. Union General Emory Upton sent the First Ohio cavalry charging down old Crawford Road to capture the Dillingham Bridge, then known as the lower . . . — Map (db m69060) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Horace King
(side 1) Horace King a slave of John Godwin was construction foreman for the First Dillingham Street Bridge in 1832, when he and Godwin introduced the “town lattice” bridge design into the Chattahoochee Valley. King built most . . . — Map (db m69064) HM
Alabama (Sumter County), Demopolis — The Rooster Bridge
Side A In 1919 a rooster sale organized by Frank Derby raised money to begin construction of a bridge over the Tombigbee River at Moscow Ferry. This was the last link in the completion of the Dixie Overland Highway between Savannah and San . . . — Map (db m38074) HM
Alabama (Sumter County), Livingston — Sumter County's Covered Bridge
1860 Captain W. A. C. Jones of Livingston designed and built the bridge of hand-hewn yellow pine put together with large pegs, clear span 88 feet, overhead clearance 14 feet, and inside width 17 feet, across the Sucarnoochee River on old State . . . — Map (db m92661) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Northport — Home Guard Defended Covered Bridge / Bridging The Black Warrior River
(Front):Home Guard Defended Covered Bridge3 April 1865 - Brig Gen John T. Croxton’s Cavalry Brigade departed camp at Johnson’s Ferry (Old Lock 17 area) to the Watermelon Road ending in Northport. As the Union troops entered Northport, the . . . — Map (db m35679) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Burns’ Shoals
The remains of Burns' Shoals now lie nearly 40 feet underwater. This rock outcropping was the first of the shoals known as the "Falls of Tuscaloosa" and represents the "Fall Line" or contact point of the Coastal Plain and the Appalachian Plateau, . . . — Map (db m28904) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Horace King
Born a slave in South Carolina in 1807, Horace King became a master bridge builder while working with John Godwin. With the aid of Tuscaloosan Robert Jemison, King was freed by act of the Alabama legislature in 1846. He went on to build many bridges . . . — Map (db m28913) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The M & O Railroad Trestle
This wooden and steel truss bridge was constructed for the Mobile and Ohio Railroad in 1898 by civil engineer Benjamin Hardaway, an 1887 graduate of The University of Alabama and former Tuscaloosa City Engineer. Originally 135-feet high with a . . . — Map (db m28992) HM
Alaska (Fairbanks North Star Borough), Faribanks — Cushman Street
“Instead of row after row of empty houses (Dawson), they are building new stores. The place is alive and busy-a little too crowded when we got there.” – a tourist in Fairbanks, 1928 — Map (db m47406) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Marble Canyon — Navajo Bridge
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior August 31, 1981 — Map (db m94885) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Marble Canyon — Navajo Bridge
There are three markers on this end of the Navajo Bridge. (Marker on left:) National Historical Civil Engineering Landmark American Society of Engineers 1852 Designated by the American Society of Civil Engineers . . . — Map (db m94887) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Marble Canyon — Navajo Bridge Erection Toggle Screw/Navajo BridgeState of Arizona — 1927/1928
This Erection Toggle Screw was used in the construction of the historic Navajo Bridge to maintain bridge vertical elevations and as a means of lowering bridge sections in place. [Plaque Mounted on Bridge]: State of Arizona Navajo . . . — Map (db m38469) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Roosevelt — The Bridge1987-1990
Before dam modifications could begin, a $21.3 million bridge was built to relocate traffic off the top of Roosevelt Dam. Roosevelt Lake Bridge is the longest two-lane, single-span, steel-arch bridge in North America. The bridge, spanning 1,080 feet . . . — Map (db m34112) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Arlington — Historic Gillespie Dam Bridge
Main Marker - Side A: The Historic Gillespie Dam Bridge spans the Gila River on Old US 80 Highway, between the communities of Arlington and Gila Bend. Built in 1927 as a Federal Aid Project, the bridge is a unique and elegant reminder of . . . — Map (db m54936) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Arlington — Original 1927 Bridge Roller BearingGillespie Dam Bridge Rehabilitation — 2012 Arizona Centennial Legacy Project
In December 2011, as the Historic Gillespie Dam Bridge approached its 85th year of service, the Maricopa County Department of Transportation began a major bridge rehabilitation and repair effort to save one of Arizona's earliest and most significant . . . — Map (db m69445) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Carefree — The Old Verde River Sheep Bridge
Marker 1 - (Main Marker): The original Verde River Sheep Bridge, also known as the Red Point Sheep Bridge, was constructed at this location in 1943 by Flagstaff Sheep Company, which had been grazing sheep in the area under a Forest . . . — Map (db m53966) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Prehistoric Irrigation in the Salt River Valley
Approximately 300 B.C. Prehistoric Indians entered the Salt River Valley. They developed an extensive canal system and raised corn, beans, squash, agave and cotton. Over 500 miles of Hohokam canal have been recorded in the Salt River Valley. . . . — Map (db m49877) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Lake Havasu City — British – American Friendship
"We are now friends with England and with all Mankind." Written by Benjamin Franklin, American Peace Commissioner in Paris, following the signing of the peace treaty ending the American Revolution September 1783 With American and . . . — Map (db m31843) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Lake Havasu City — City FoundersLake Havasu City, Arizona
Robert P. McCulloch, Sr, Founder and C.V. Wood, Jr., Master Planner London Bridge was purchased from the city of London on April 18, 1968 for $2,460,000.00. It took three years and another $4,500,000.00 to transport and build the bridge. The . . . — Map (db m31841) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Lake Havasu City — London Bridge
Opened By The Right Honorable The Lord Mayor Of London Alderman Sir Peter Studd G.B.E.M.A.D.Sc. In The Presence Of The Honorable Jack Williams Governor Of Arizona October 10, 1971 Robert P. McCulloch Sr          C.V. Wood Jr. . . . — Map (db m4328) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Lake Havasu City — Robert P. McCulloch, Sr.
[Upper Plaque]: In grateful memory Robert P. McCulloch, Sr. Whose purchase of London Bridge in 1968 saved it for the enjoyment and use of posterity [Lower Plaque]: October 10, 1981 on this 150th Anniversary . . . — Map (db m6974) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Holbrook — Little Colorado River Bridge
Six hundred feet to the west of this location stood the original Little Colorado River Bridge. This steel truss bridge designed by the Arizona Highway Department stood at that location for 1928 to 1988. This landmark structure remained intact and . . . — Map (db m95155) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Pinedale — The Mauretta B. Thomas Pinedale Memorial Bridge
In recognition of her unselfish participation and example in community beautification. Serving on the town bicentennial committee, she proposed the covered bridge and the planting of pine trees along the lane north to the highway as being worth . . . — Map (db m36665) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Winslow — The Winslow Bridge
This date medallion is from the Winslow Bridge that once spanned the Little Colorado River on historic Route 66 just east of Winslow. Because the river had always proved a daunting impediment to travelers, this bridge crossing became a strategic . . . — Map (db m32781) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Fourth Avenue UnderpassConstructed 2009
Tucson City Engineer ― Jim Clock Design Engineer ― Cannon & Associates, Inc. TranSystems Corp. Contractor ― Sundt Construction, Inc. Long known as the Gateway to the East End of Downtown, the Fourth Avenue Underpass in a . . . — Map (db m31527) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Garcés FootbridgePuente de Garcés
Memorial to Francisco Garcés, explorer and first Franciscan missionary to the Pima village at the foot of Sentinel Peak. In 1770 Garcés and the Pimas constructed at that site the first substantial building in Tucson, a mission residence with two . . . — Map (db m83034) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Historic Fourth Avenue UnderpassConstructed 1916 – Demolished in 2008
Tucson City Engineer ― J. Mos Ruthrauff Design Engineer ― L. R. Walker Contractor ― Bent Brothers In 1913, in an effort to separate pedestrians, vehicles, bicycles and wagons from trains, the City of Tucson embarked on a . . . — Map (db m31526) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Vail — Cienega BridgeBuilt 1921
Has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior September 30, 1988 — Map (db m67763) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Wellton — Red Top Wash Bridge
Constructed 1931, Widened 1949 Replaced 2009-2010 Federal Highway Administration Arizona State Highway Department Owner: Yuma County Designer: TransSystems Corporation Contractor: Bison Contracting Co. The Arizona State Highway . . . — Map (db m62009) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Yuma — Ocean-to-Ocean Highway BridgeConstructed - 1915 & Rededicated - 2002
In 1913 after strong campaigning from the citizens of Yuma, Representative Carl Hayden secured funding for this bridge. When completed, it was the only highway bridge across the Colorado River for 1,200 miles. It was partially funded by the Office . . . — Map (db m46786) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 40 — Leimert Bridge
The Sausal Creek Arch Bridge, commonly known as the Leimert Bridge since its completion in 1926, is a graceful example of a fixed arch bridge. George Posey, Alameda County Surveyor and engineer of the Posey Tunnel connecting Alameda and Oakland, . . . — Map (db m71767) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — Gianella Bridge
Built cooperatively by Butte and Glenn Counties, 1908-1911. Designed by John B. Leonard (1864-1945), civil engineer, San Francisco. Built by Cotton Bros. and Co. Oakland. Recorded for the Historic American Engineering Record, 1984. Replaced and . . . — Map (db m62233) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — Honey Run Covered Bridge / Gold Dredge
Honey Run Bridge Erected 1894 By George Miller Gold Dredge The first bucket line gold dredge to operate below the covered bridge used this tumbler – 1898. — Map (db m29682) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Bidwell Bar Bridge and Tollhouse
Originally constructed on a site one and a half miles northeast of this location in 1856 Rededicated on July 30, 1977 on this Kelly Ridge site to avoid inundation by the waters of Oroville Reservoir State of California - Edmund G. . . . — Map (db m61597) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — CHL 314 — The Mother Orange Tree of Butte CountyBidwell Bar Bridge
. . . — Map (db m61594) HM
California (Calaveras County), Copperopolis — Copperopolis Historical Plaza
(There are five markers and one dedication plaque affixed to the flagpole pedestal.) History of Copperopolis Copper (for ore) + opolos (for city) Originally known as Copper Canyon, Copperopolis was established in 1860 when copper . . . — Map (db m62356) HM
California (Calaveras County), Copperopolis — 281 — O'Bryne Ferry
In 1852 a chain cable bridge replaced the ferries that once crossed here, to be supplanted in its turn by a covered truss structure in 1862. Some writers claimed this was the locale of Bret Harte's Poker Flat. In late “49” there was a . . . — Map (db m13013) HM
California (Calaveras County), San Andreas — 258 — Fourth Crossing
Located on the Stockton-Murphy Road at the fourth crossing of the Calaveras River, this early mining settlement, once called Foremans, was famous in the 1850's for its rich placer ores. Later, it became an important stage and freighting depot and . . . — Map (db m11969) HM
California (Colusa County), Colusa — Center Section of the Former Colusa BridgeHistorical Landmark
Center section of the former Colusa Bridge across the Sacramento River at the end of Bridge Street. Constructed 1899-1901 and replaced 1979-80. Nominated for inclusion on Federal Register 1978. — Map (db m63416) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Crockett — Al Zampa Memorial BridgeCrockett, California 2003
Alfred 'Al' Zampa was the first born son of Emilio and Maria Zampa, Italian immigrants who migrated to the USA from Abruzzi, Italy. Al was born on March 12, 1905 in Selby, California down river from where this plaque sits. He was the eldest of three . . . — Map (db m91658) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 101 — Botelho's Island & Creek ConfluenceLiberty Bell Plaza — 1949
Walnut Creek's namesake creek is formed under this plaza, where Las Trampas and San Ramon creeks merge. The two creeks bound land known as "Botelho's Island." which had been owned by the pioneer Botelho family. Broadway Plaza, opened in 1951, now . . . — Map (db m93731) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 124 — Bridge over Walnut CreekDuncan St. and Broadway — Late 1800s
Walnut Creek's namesake creek runs beneath Broadway at the end of this block. Before the creek was "underground" to prevent flooding, a bridge at the end of this street was essential to reach the homes and farms across the creek and to get to the . . . — Map (db m93864) HM
California (El Dorado County), Auburn — GPY 135-10 — Mountain Quarries Railroad Bridge
In 1910, the Mountain Quarries Company contracted for the construction of a railroad bridge over the North Fork of the American River to haul limestone from their upstream quarry. The bridge and 17 wooden trestles were part of Mountain Quarries . . . — Map (db m67659) HM
California (El Dorado County), Auburn — Mountain Quarries Railroad Bridge
The Mountain Quarries Railroad Bridge, also known a "No Hands Bridge", was completed on March 23, 1912. At the time of its construction the span bore the distinction of being one of the largest reinforced concrete railroad bridges in the United . . . — Map (db m67664) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Mining Ditches
Mining ditches were dug by ditch companies to carry vast amounts of water needed for placer mining. Thousands of miles of ditches and flumes were built in the gold country; some brought immense profits to their owners. As mining declined in the . . . — Map (db m17484) HM
California (El Dorado County), Kyburz — Riverton Bridge
These stone obelisks are all that’s left of the original four that once stood on the corners of the stone arch bridge spanning the American River from 1900 to 1930. This monument erected by Caltrans District 3 History Committee and the . . . — Map (db m23183) HM
California (Fresno County), Reedley — Wagon Bridge1885 - 1929
In the early 1850's, before it became a town, Reedley was in Mariposa County. The only way to cross the Kings River was doing so at your own risk or to find a ferry and pay a fee to cross. The Reedley area could claim two operating ferries. . . . — Map (db m77752) HM
California (Humboldt County), Fernbridge — Fernbridge
Dedicated on November 16, 1911 and affectionately known as the "Queen of Bridges", it was the longest reinforced concreted arch structure in the world at the time of its construction. The bridge was designed by John B. Leonard, Civil Engineer, . . . — Map (db m71907) HM
California (Inyo County), Aspendell — Power for the Diggins
With the discovery of gold and silver in Nevada at Goldfield and Tonopah, the need for electric power for mining operations was fulfilled in September, 1905, by construction of a hydro-electric plant on Bishop Creek, which supplied 1,300 kilowatts . . . — Map (db m629) HM
California (Marin County), Ross — Historic Dedication of the Lagunitas Road BridgeCorte Madera Creek — Ross, California - March 20, 2011
This structure replaces Bridge No. 27C0071, a contributing element to the Ross Historic Bridges District, eligible for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places. The original bridge was completed on January 13, 1910 as part of a $12,500 . . . — Map (db m63939) HM
California (Mariposa County), Coulterville — 6011 — Bagby
From a vista point near the 1,156 long, 130 foot high bridge, completed in 1966, the site of Bagby lies east under, and sometimes exposed beside, the back waters of Lake McClure. Bagby's history passed through three definite development eras. From . . . — Map (db m5957) HM
California (Mariposa County), Mariposa — Bridgeport
In 1852 Andrew Church established a trading post where a road from the San Joaquin Valley, crossed the Agua Fria Creek. The site, known as Bridgeport, was on the Fremont Grant, about five miles south of Aqua Fria, first county seat of Mariposa . . . — Map (db m46846) HM
California (Mariposa County), Mariposa — William Sell Jr. Memorial BridgeFirst Place Award Winner
In the 1972 Federal Highways Administration Contest as the outstanding example of a bridge, overpass, tunnel or other highway structure in the United States. “This is the way a bridge should look.” — Map (db m46773) HM
California (Merced County), Winton — The Montpelier-Oakdale Railroad1890 to 1942
This important Southern Pacific Route was called by many names, also including, "The Stockton-Tulare Railroad", "The Oakdale Line", "The Oakdale-Montpelier Railroad", and "The Eastside Route". There were North and South bound trains daily. . . . — Map (db m91847) HM
California (Nevada County), Chicago Park — Old Bear River Bridge
Since 1952 bridges near this site have served as the gateway to western Nevada County. This 1924 span was the first concrete bridge at this site and features a Roman style single arch design, constructed in a continuous pour method. The Colfax . . . — Map (db m76345) HM
California (Nevada County), Nevada City — Pine Street Bridge1996
Third span of Deer Creek at this location. It is a replica of the single arch steel Gault Bridge (1908-1996) which replaced the suspension bridge (1862-1903) built by Andrew S. Hallidie, who later built the San Francisco Cable Car system. — Map (db m40275) HM
California (Nevada County), Nevada City — Purdon Bridge1895
Built by Cotton Brothers of Oakland, this steel bridge replaced several wooden bridges washed away in floods. It is the only bridge of the half-through truss design remaining in California. Purdon Crossing was a vital link of the main road from . . . — Map (db m45068) HM
California (Nevada County), Norden — Donner Summit Bridge
Dedicated to the pioneers who blazed the Overland Trail through these mountains. Built by the U.S. Bureau of Public Roads and the California Highway Commission 1925-1926. This tablet placed by the Historic Landmarks Committee of the . . . — Map (db m94763) HM
California (Nevada County), Norden — 28 — Rainbow Bridge
History The bridge “eliminated for all time the terrors of the Donner grade from the state highway system of California.” Automobile travel could be a harrying affair in the old days and Donner Summit was a difficult route. . . . — Map (db m81898) HM
California (Nevada County), Penn Valley — 390 — Bridgeport (Nyes Crossing) Covered Bridge
Built in 1862 by David Isaac John Wood with lumber from his mill in Sierra County, this bridge was part of the Virginia Turnpike Company toll road which served the northern mines and the busy Nevada Comstock Lode. Utilizing a combination truss and . . . — Map (db m8540) HM
California (Nevada County), Penn Valley — Bridgeport Bridge
This covered bridge across the South Fork of the Yuba River at Bridgeport, Nevada Co., Calif. was built by David I. Wood in 1862 with lumber from his mill in Plum Valley, Sierra Co., Calif. Erected by Columbia Parlor No. 70, N.D.G.W., French Corral, . . . — Map (db m8528) HM
California (Nevada County), Penn Valley — Bridgeport Bridge"Wood’s Crossing"
Bridgeport Bridge, or “Wood’s Crossing”, is the longest single span covered bridge in existence. Used since 1862, built by David I. Wood. This plaque is dedicated to those pioneer Americans who came to California in search of a new life . . . — Map (db m8539) HM
California (Nevada County), Penn Valley — 390 — Bridgeport Historic District
Built in 1862 by David J. Wood with lumber from his mill in Sierra County, the covered bridge was part of the Virginia Turnpike Company toll road that served the northern mines and the Nevada Comstock Lode. The associated ranch and resources for . . . — Map (db m78339) HM
California (Nevada County), Smartsville — The Yuba River Bridge at Parks Bar1913 - 1994
William M. Thomas of Thomas and Post Consulting Engineers designed the 685-foot-long Parks Bar Bridge in 1912 for Yuba County. The original 16-foot-wide bridge with four 140-foot-long arch spans was constructed by the Portland Concrete Pile Company . . . — Map (db m54222) HM
California (Sacramento County), Folsom — Folsom Dam ImprovementsPromoting Public Safety for the Sacramento Region
Folsom Dam and Reservoir are a component of the Central Valley Project, owned and operated by the Bureau of Reclamation, Mid-Pacific Region, Central California Area Office Construction of Folsom Dam by the Corps began in . . . — Map (db m17644) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — R Street Bridge
R Street formed the boundary of a levee system that surrounded Sacramento. It also served as the base of operations for the State's first rail line, the Sacramento Valley Railroad. The line was designed by Theodore Judah, who also became the . . . — Map (db m90220) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — The Northern Electric Bridge
In 1911, the Northern Electric Railway Company, along with Sacramento and Yolo counties, built the Northern Electric Bridge. The bridge carried a single railroad track with twin motor-vehicle roadways. Pedestrian walks cantilevered from the central . . . — Map (db m16492) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — The Tower Bridge
The Tower Bridge, a vertical-lift span, was opened for traffic on December 15, 1935 and was built at a cost of $994,000. The State Department of Public Works, the City and the County of Sacramento and the Federal Government built the bridge. It . . . — Map (db m16489) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Tower Bridge: Gateway to the Capital
Identifying A Need By the early 1930’s, Americans were moving away from trains and ships and turning to automobiles as their mode of transporation. As a result, traffic on roadways increased dramatically. In Sacramento, M Street (now . . . — Map (db m16490) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Derby Dike
Until 1853 the erratic San Diego River dumped tons of debris into the harbor or poured into False Bay, now Mission Bay. At times it threatened to destroy Old Town San Diego. Lieutenant George Horatio Derby, U.S. Topographical Corps, built a dike . . . — Map (db m11136) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Men of Vision
Joseph Strauss dreamed of a golden bridge spanning San Francisco Bay. But people opposed it fearing it would never survive the strong tides, it would lower property values, it would ruin the view. More than 2,000 lawsuits were filed to stop . . . — Map (db m90765) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Bay Bridge
Begun in 1933 in the depths of the Depression, the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge put hundreds of men to work on two six-hour shifts, morning and night, for three years and seven months, to finish two months ahead of schedule on November 12, . . . — Map (db m92904) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Golden Gate Bridge: Vision, Genius and Expert Care
"The Golden Gate!" Army explorer John Charles Fremont named the entrance to San Francisco Bay in 1846. His Majesty Emperor Joshua Abraham Norton decreed in 1869 that a bridge be built “…across the Golden Gate to Sausalito Ridge.” Work . . . — Map (db m31685) HM
California (San Mateo County), Burlingame — Eugene A. Doran Memorial Bridge1922 – 1959 — One-Half Mile South
An officer for the Town of Hillsborough from April 1, 1956 until his untimely death on August 5, 1959, who made the supreme sacrifice at the hands of a criminal suspect whom he had apprehended. — Map (db m18330) HM
California (San Mateo County), Half Moon Bay — First Concrete Bridge Erected in San Mateo Co1900
J. Debendetti Supervisor D. Bromfield & C. Tobey Jr. Engineers R.C. Mattingly & W. Heafey Contractors — Map (db m10713) HM
California (San Mateo County), San Mateo — History of San Mateo’s Bridges
In 1923, the cities of San Mateo, Burlingame, and Hillsborough began planning for a bridge to link the San Francisco Bay peninsula cities with East Bay and Central Valley communities. Even after the Dumbarton Bridge opened, in 1927, these . . . — Map (db m28727) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Felton — 583 — Felton Covered Bridge
Built in 1892-93 and believed to be the tallest covered bridge in the country, it stood as the only entry to Felton for 45 years. In 1937 it was retired from active service to become a pedestrian bridge and figured prominently in many films of that . . . — Map (db m2348) HM
California (Shasta County), Anderson — Balls Ferry
Founded by Major Reading Operated by William Ball 1868 – 1897 Bridge then built — Map (db m70351) HM
California (Shasta County), Anderson — SHA-013 — The FlumePoint of Historical Interest — Dept. of Parks and Recreation – Reg. No. SHA-013
This aqueduct was built in 1918 as connecting link of main canal of Anderson Cottonwood Irrigation Dist., to carry water across Anderson Gulch to irrigate lands in southern Shasta Co. Aqueduct is 1249 ft. long, 8 ft. wide, 5 ft. deep and 20 ft. from . . . — Map (db m70339) HM
California (Shasta County), Castella — 1 — Sims Bridge: A CCC First
It took a bit of grit and determination for the Forest Service and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) crew to build this sturdy bridge... Raymond Huber, who supervised the project remembers... “I was given a pickup and a plan of a 160-foot . . . — Map (db m69821) HM
California (Shasta County), Redding — Diestelhorst Auto Camp / Reid’s Ferry
Two separate markers have been mounted on the same rock. Marker on the Right: Diestelhorst Auto Camp Gotlieb Justus Diestelhorst came to Shasta in 1852, to grow produce and vegetables to sell. He found the soil . . . — Map (db m70331) HM
California (Shasta County), Whiskeytown — Toll Bridge
To cross Clear Creek in 1865 it would have cost you 10 cents to walk across, 25 cents to ride over on horseback, and $1.25 to cross by wagon. Charles Camden, the bridge owner, spent $20,000 to improve the road between here and the town of Shasta. He . . . — Map (db m12565) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Fort Jones — John F. Williams Memorial Bridge
U S Forest Ranger John F. Williams Memorial Bridge Gave his life to save the life of a drowning girl at this location June 24, 1940 — Map (db m70257) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Weed — The Weed ArchTo the City of Weed from the People of Its Community
The Arch is the strongest form of architecture known to Man. This steel arch replaces the original concrete arch first erected on this site in 1922. Due to the lack of maintenance over the years, surface cracks appeared. Because there were no . . . — Map (db m62809) HM
California (Stanislaus County), Knights Ferry — 347 — Knights Ferry
Picturesque mining center and trading post, 1849, once called Dentville. Early ferry to the southern mines; county seat 1862-72; rare wooden covered bridge reputedly designed by U. S. Grant, brother-in-law of the Dent brothers, 1854; old flour mill, . . . — Map (db m79384) HM
California (Stanislaus County), Knights Ferry — Knights Ferry Covered Bridge
. . . — Map (db m12013) HM
California (Stanislaus County), Newman — Hills FerryHistoric Landmark
Founded 1849 by Judge O D Dickerson. Named for Jesse Hill Operator of the Ferry Boat that landed just upstream under the present bridge site. — Map (db m58204) HM
California (Tehama County), Tehama — The Tehama Railroad Bridge
This turnstyle bridge served the California & Oregon Railroad Co. It was surveyed in September 1870 and was completed in August 1871. The bridge was first crossed by the steam locomotive "Falcon" and by the "Clipper" the following day with one . . . — Map (db m89184) HM
California (Trinity County), Douglas City — Steel Bridge
The Union Hill Mines, which began in 1862, were located up the western slope of Union Hill from the mouth of Weaver Creek, at the head of Union Gulch. It was one of the largest placer mines in Trinity County. Water was ditched from Weaver Creek and . . . — Map (db m70306) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Moccasin — 4 — Stevens Bar Bridge
Beneath this bridge lies the site of the historic Gold Rush mining camp of Stevens Bar (or Stephens Bar) founded in 1849. The first bridge to span the upper Tuolumne River was constructed just above this point in 1857. Following its destruction . . . — Map (db m53342) HM
California (Yolo County), Davis — Davis SubwayRichards Blvd. Underpass
Built in 1917-18, this entrance to Davis is among the oldest surviving examples of I-beam construction on a railroad grade separation. The underpass was part of the Lincoln Highway. The bicycle bore was added in 1978. Listed in the National Register . . . — Map (db m57189) HM
California (Yolo County), West Sacramento — Pony Express Bridge
[Front of Marker:] Dedicated April 23, 2000 WEST SACRAMENTO by James Stretesky First Northern Bank Daniel F. Ramos Family Frank C. Ramos Family Dr. & Mrs. James O. Farley West Sacramento Land Company West Sacramento Chamber of . . . — Map (db m15708) HM
California (Yolo County), West Sacramento — Tower BridgeWest Sacramento River Walk
Sacramento’s graceful Tower Bridge has spanned the river since 1936. It is the only historically significant vertical-lift bridge in California and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Lights added in 1986 in honor of its . . . — Map (db m15711) HM
California (Yuba County), Camptonville — Marysville to Virginia City in 32 Hours49 Miles Along Highway 49
In 1859 the rich Comstock Silver Lode was discovered in Washoe Territory, Nevada, causing many miners to quickly pack up and head east. Immediately a company was formed to construct a road connecting this area of California to the Comstock finds. . . . — Map (db m65968) HM
California (Yuba County), Camptonville — Oregon Creek Covered Bridge
Built in 1860, the Oregon Creek Covered Bridge was floated from its foundations by the flood waters from the breaking of English Dam in 1883. It was restored to place by using ox teams and log rollers, but turned end for end in the process. — Map (db m65967) HM
Colorado (Fremont County), Canon City — Royal Gorge Bridge
Highest suspension bridge in the world Completed in seven months - Dedicated Dec. 7, 1929 Chief Engineer George Cole Consulting Engineer O.K. Peck This property has been placed on National Register of Historic Places By U.S. . . . — Map (db m39304) HM
Colorado (Fremont County), Cañon City — 141 — Royal Gorge
Lt. Zubulon M. Pike and his men, who traveled through this area in November and December 1806, were the first American explorers to view the Arkansas River Canyon now known as the Royal Gorge. A small party from the Maj. Stephen H. Long expedition . . . — Map (db m34858) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — Billy Drew Bridge
(left side) Bridging Our History This bridge is the second Billy Drew Bridge erected on this site. The original Billy Drew Bridge was built in 1976 as part of Golden’s celebration of the Centennial-Bicentennial, the nation’s 200th . . . — Map (db m70396) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — Bridge Load Ordinance Background
Colorado Transcript, September 13, 1882: “Washington Avenue Bridge was badly damaged last Saturday evening by some ignoramus driving and crowding a big drove of cattle on to it. The damage has since been repaired.”

Golden . . . — Map (db m49897) HM

Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — Ferrell/Berthoud Home (Miners Hotel)
John M. Ferrell came to the Golden valley from upstate New York in June of 1859. He camped on the southeastern banks of Clear Creek and created the Washington Avenue crossing for the gold rushers. When Golden was organized, Ferrell became one of its . . . — Map (db m49895) HM
Colorado (Morgan County), Fort Morgan — Rainbow Arch Bridge
Spanning the South Platte River, the Rainbow Arch Bridge carried vehicular traffic from its completion in 1923 until its closure in 1988. Engineer James B. Marsh of Des Moines, Iowa, designed the structure in 1922. Denver bridge contractor Charles . . . — Map (db m47194) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Newtown — Washington – Rochambeau Revolutionary RouteHousatonic Crossing
French General Jean Baptiste Donatien de Vimeur, comte de Rochambeau, and thousands of French ground and naval forces arrived in Newport in July of 1780 to assist the Americans in the War for Independence. After wintering in Newport, Rochambeau’s . . . — Map (db m26915) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Shelton — Commodore Isaac Hull Bridge
Commodore Isaac Hull Bridge Named for the Heroic Commander Of the U.S. Frigate “Constitution” During Its Great Naval Victories In the War of 1812 Born in Derby March 9, 1773 Resided in Shelton 1785 – 1794 This . . . — Map (db m25381) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — The Post Road Bridge
The Post Road Bridge 1807 Westport was a prosperous shipping community with wharves, docks, and shipyards along both sides of the Saugatuck River. The first Post Road Bridge was owned and built by the Connecticut Turnpike Company, a public . . . — Map (db m30644) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — The Founders Bridge
. . . — Map (db m52620) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), New Milford — Falls Bridge
By the 1890’s New Milford’s old wooden bridges had outlived their usefulness, considering their age, the increasing amount of traffic and the coming of the horseless carriage. A sturdy and very ornate iron bridge, built by the Berlin Iron Bridge . . . — Map (db m22740) HM
Connecticut (Middlesex County), East Hampton — Comstock Covered Bridge
Comstock Covered Bridge Built in 1873 by the Towns of Colchester and East Hampton The Comstock Covered Bridge is one of only three historic covered bridges remaining in Connecticut. With a main span 80 feet in length (measured from the faces of . . . — Map (db m84109) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Hamden — A. Frederick Oberlin Bridge
. . . — Map (db m28747) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Meriden — Red Bridge
Length 78 feet – width 16 feet Listed on the Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service Erected in 1891 by the Berlin Iron Bridge Company Red Bridge is of lenticular pony truss . . . — Map (db m26587) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Milford — Jefferson Bridge
. . . — Map (db m26441) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Milford — King’s Bridge1711
Site of King’s Bridge - 1711 connecting Peacocke Lane (Maple Street) to Governor’s Lane (Avenue) Freelove Baldwin Stow Chapter D.A.R. July 4, 1962 — Map (db m26331) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Milford — Memorial to Three Milford Men1639     1939
[ east side of the column ] This Bridge Dedicated On the 300th Anniversary Of the Settlement Of The Town of Milford A Memorial to Three Milford Men Who Were Governors of the Colony and State Of Connecticut [ north side . . . — Map (db m26445) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Milford — Milford Memorial Stone Bridge
( stones on the large north west tower ) In Memoriam Robert Treat For Thirty Years Governour & Deputy Gov. of the Colony of Connecticut Obit - 1710 Ansantawae His Mark 1639 Memorial Committee G.A. Tomlinson   P.S. . . . — Map (db m72854) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), New Haven — Hillhouse Avenue Bridge
The original Hillhouse Avenue Bridge was one of fourteen bridges provided by the Farmington Canal Company to carry city streets across the canal. The wooden bridge at this site rested on abutments of unmortared rubble. The New Haven construction . . . — Map (db m57663) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — Ashland BridgeRed Clay Creek — Listed on National Register of Historic Places – 1973
Original Town Lattice Truss Covered Bridge – ca. 1850 Bridge Deck Rehabilitated – 1964 Listed on National Register of Historic Places – 1973 Complete Rehabilitation & Steel Beams Added – 1982 Rehabilitated Stone . . . — Map (db m62043) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — Wooddale BridgeRed Clay Creek
Original Town Lattice Truss Covered Bridge - ca. 1850 Rehabilitated - 1939 Steel Beams Added - 1981 Destroyed by Flood/ Steel Acrow Bridge Placed - 2003 Town Lattice Truss Covered Bridge Replacement - 2008 Engineering & Project Management - . . . — Map (db m73000) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware Memorial Bridge1951 - 1968 — Dedicated to the Delaware & New Jersey Veterans of WWII
Delaware Memorial Bridge 1951 - 1968 South Span Dedicated August 18, 1951 North Span Dedicated September 12, 1968 Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey dedicated these Bridges on September 12, 1968 to the Men and Women of the State . . . — Map (db m68255) HM WM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware River and Bay Authority Veterans Dedication
Dedicated to our Veterans Whose Loyalty and Service during times of war and peace define the character of this great Nation — Map (db m68462) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-A7 — Battle of Cooch's Bridge
American light infantry and cavalry under General William Maxwell encountered advance guard of British and Hessian troops under Generals Howe, Cornwallis and Knyphausen in this vicinity September 3, 1777. American troops were expert marksmen drafted . . . — Map (db m9774) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — The Battle of Cooch's Bridge
On September 3, 1777 over 800 Americans forming the Light Infantry Corps of Brigadier General William Maxwell engaged about 2,000 British Light Infantry and Hessian and Anspach "Jägers" (light infantry) in a series of skirmishes ending at . . . — Map (db m10055) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — The ›Duke‹ Ellington Memorial Bridge
Named in honor of Edward Kennedy Ellington 1899-1974 Native Son Composer - Performer - Playwright International Statesman of Goodwill — Map (db m67913) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brookland — Charles Richard Drew Memorial Bridge
Named in honor of Dr. Charles Richard Drew, 1904-1950 esteemed citizen of the District of Columbia athlete, scholar, surgeon, and scientist whose discoveries in blood preservation saved thousands of lives. — Map (db m6262) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Francis Scott Key Park
A Place With Its Own History. Before 1620 the area of the Francis Scott Key Park was inhabited by members of the Algonquian, Nacostine, Nacotchatank, Piscatoway and Patawomeke tribes. In 1634 it became part of the English Colony of . . . — Map (db m119) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southeast — Whitney M. Young, Jr. Memorial Bridge
Named in honor of Whitney Moore Young, Jr. 1921-1971 Humanitarian-scholar and venerable leader of the National Urban League whose work produced landmark changes in civil rights laws and notable progress towards social and economic justice . . . — Map (db m15606) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Woodley Park — Million Dollar Bridge
Developers first plotted the residential neighborhood of Woodley Park in 1875, attached to this high land overlooking Rock Creek, where Philip Barton Key had built an estate that he named Woodley. (You can see the Woodley mansion on the campus of . . . — Map (db m87471) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Eau Gallie Bridge to the Beach
The first wooden bridge from Eau Gallie to "Eau Gallie Beach" was started in 1924. The bridge was formally opened in February 1926. Soon after John R. Mathers began plans to build a bridge from the barrier island to the tip of Merritt Island. That . . . — Map (db m75971) HM
Florida (Columbia County), High Springs — Bellamy Road
Florida Historic Civil Engineering Landmark. Near this point, the Bellamy Road crossed the Santa Fe River. The road was named for its builder, John Bellamy, a civil engineer. Approved by Congress in 1824 and completed in 1826, it was the first . . . — Map (db m3381) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Hillsborough River Ferry— 1846~1888 —
At the nearby junction of Jackson Street and the Hillsborough River was the east bank docking site of the Tampa Ferry, the only means of crossing the river in pioneer days. The ferry was an open deck, flat barge, hand pulled by means of a steel . . . — Map (db m33800) HM
Florida (Indian River County), Vero Beach — F-837 — US-1 Tee-Beam Bridge in Indian River County
The tee-beam bridge at this location carried traffic southbound on US-1 over the Florida East Coast Railway and Old Dixie Highway beginning in 1927. The tee-beam design, constructed from cast-in-place concrete beams and reinforced steel running . . . — Map (db m95135) HM
Florida (Levy County), Fanning Springs — Fanning Springs Bridge
The Fanning Springs Bridge was built by the State of Florida. In 1934 it was officially named the Benjamin Chaires Bridge in honor of a prominent pioneer settler of Dixie County. Located 29 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico, it held the . . . — Map (db m17709) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), North Miami — Arch Creek
Until 1973, when it collapsed, the forty foot natural bridge of oolitic limestone that spanned Arch Creek was one of South Florida´s earliest landmarks. Prehistoric Indians occupied this site hundreds of years before European exploration. In the . . . — Map (db m77645) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Palmetto Bay — Chinese Bridge
In 1918 Charles Deering constructed this bridge to cross Cutler Creek on the way to his retirement home. At the time this accessway was called "Old Cutler Road". Deering relocated it from its original location inside the natural areas of his . . . — Map (db m79320) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Road and Ferry
In April, 1926, Monroe County began construction of a road on the east end of Upper Matecumbe to connect with other islands. It eventually made it possible to drive to Key West by using a ferry. The first car drove to Key West on Jan. 25 1928 . . . — Map (db m83879) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Site of Camp Three
Established in 1934, during the Great Depression, Camp Three housed 250 bonus army veterans until September 2, 1935 when one of the worst hurricanes ever recorded destroyed everything there. The eye of the hurricane passed over nearby Craig Key with . . . — Map (db m83592) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Long Key — F-168 — Long Key Fishing Club
(side 1) Henry M. Flagler began construction of the Key West Extension of the Florida East Coast Railroad southward from Homestead in 1905. Despite destructive hurricanes in 1906, 1909, and 1910, the Key West Extension was completed in . . . — Map (db m72798) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Marathon — Seven-Mile Historic Bridge
Constructed between 1908 & 1912 as a railway bridge. The bridge was modified in 1935 for the use of automobiles until 1982. — Map (db m59076) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Upper Matecumbe Key — F-266 — Florida East Coast Railroad Overseas Extension“The Railroad That Went to the Sea”
Oil magnate Henry M. Flagler first visited Florida in 1878. Realizing Florida’s potential for growth, he developed railroads and hotels which transformed the eastern seaboard. The Florida East Coast Railroad reached Miami in 1896 and soon was . . . — Map (db m72797) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-808 — H. H. Dickson Azalea Park/Washington Street Bridge
(side A) H. H. Dickson Azalea Park Dickson Azalea Park began as a natural stream, later named Fern Creek, in a deep ravine surrounded by native ferns, palms, and oaks. It once was a watering hole for cattle herders driving their . . . — Map (db m93268) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Dade City — Lanier Bridge
Front The first bridge crossing the Withlacoochee River at this site was built in the 1850's by slaves belonging to James Lanier. Replaced several times during the following century, the bridge served lumber, turpentine and cattle . . . — Map (db m66331) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Clearwater — Magnolia Drive Dock
Originally built circa 1925, the Magnolia Drive Dock was a Harbor Oaks landmark for many years as a neighborhood gathering spot for picnics, weddings, fishing, block parties, and relaxing evenings watching the sunsets. After standing for 68 years it . . . — Map (db m3253) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Clearwater — The Seminole Bridge
The Seminole Bridge was the original link to Clearwater Beach. Completed in 1917, the wooden bridge opened up access to the beach and paved the way for its first development. The bridge terminated where the Palm Pavilion stands today. It became . . . — Map (db m3252) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — The Spirit of the American Doughboy
Palatka Memorial Bridge Visualized in 1921 at an estimated cost of $375,000, the Memorial Bridge spanning the St. John’s River was completed six years later. The bridge was considered at that time to represent the highest type of modern . . . — Map (db m78142) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — The Francis and Mary Usina Bridge
Named in honor of the St. Augustine and North Beach civic leaders, Francis E. and Mary Borum Usina. Just as the bridge spans the North River to connect the St. Augustine mainland with Vilano and North Beach, so too the Usinas were strong links . . . — Map (db m47557) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Venice — Colonel George Kumpe Bridge
Colonel George Kumpe Bridge Designated by 1967 Legislature of Florida — Map (db m4878) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — George C. Means Memorial Bridge
(side 1) Crossing the St. Johns River at Lake Jesup impacted both travelers and the environment over the years. Prior to 1900, people and goods were almost exclusively transported on the St. Johns by steamboat, with several large wharves . . . — Map (db m93041) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Lake Monroe Bridge
Front The Lake Monroe Bridge was the first electrically operated swing bridge in Florida. In 1932-33 the State used federal assistance to build this bridge, which replaced a wooden toll bridge that was manually operated. The construction of . . . — Map (db m45490) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — 003-8 — Milam's Bridge
The covered structure over the Etowah here, was burned by Jackson´s [CS] Cav. May 21, 1864, the day after Johnston´s [CS] passage of the river at State R.R. Bridge. May 23rd, the 2 pontoon bridges intended for the passage of Schofield´s 23d A.C. . . . — Map (db m13840) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Euharlee — 8-1 — Euharlee Creek Covered Bridge
In 1886 the county contracted with Washington W. King, son of freed slave and noted bridge builder Horace King, and Jonathan H. Burke for the construction of this 138-foot bridge. It was adjacent to a mill owned by Daniel Lowry, of which the . . . — Map (db m8478) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — 008-11 — Woolley's Bridge
In 1864, this covered structure spanned the Etowah River on the plantation of Andrew F. Woolley, 0.5 mi. S. Next to the river was the Rome - Kingston R.R. discontinued, 1943. May 19, McPherson´s Army of the Tenn. (15th & 16th Corps) [US] arched . . . — Map (db m13925) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — Historic RinggoldSwinging Bridge
Swinging Bridge was constructed near the end of 1800's, probably by the city of Ringgold. It provided the farmers and school children that lived on the south side of the creek a safe crossing into Ringgold. There was a ford for use by wagons below . . . — Map (db m82884) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 11 — Crossing the Savannah
Although the Savannah River provided an avenue to the sea, it also presented a barrier to overland travel and transportation. Rochester Ferry, later named Screven's Ferry, was established in 1762 and connected Savannah with a roadway in South . . . — Map (db m19450) HM
Georgia (Clay County), Fort Gaines — The Old Lattice Bridge
Side 1: The second covered bridge across the Chattahoochee River, connecting Clay County, Georgia and Henry County. Alabama was constructed between 1867-69. Bonner and Walden, a New York construction company, were the original contractors . . . — Map (db m48057) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Vinings — 033-84 — Site: Hardy Pace’s Res. Howard’s Headquarters
Hardy Pace (1785-1864), operated the Chattahoochee River ferry at site of bridge where Pace’s Ferry rd. crosses. Federal forces occupied Vining’s Station, July 5-17, 1864, while preparing to cross at Pace’s & Power’s for the move on Atlanta. Gen. O. . . . — Map (db m29944) HM
Georgia (Cook County), Adel — 037-5 — Reed Bingham State Park Bridge
This bridge, which connects the Cook County side of Reed Bingham State Park with the Colquitt County side, was completed in 1974 and was dedicated on July 13, 1974 by Governor Jimmy Carter. Serving as an outstanding state park facility for . . . — Map (db m17867) HM
Georgia (Dekalb County), Stone Mountain — Covered Bridge
"Covered bridges" or "lattice bridges" were common throughout the Eastern U.S, during the nineteenth century. This bridge formerly spanned the North Fork of the Oconee River in the city of Athens, Ga.. connecting College Avenue and Hobson . . . — Map (db m11054) HM
Georgia (Dooly County), Vienna — The Luther Story Bridge
The Luther Story Bridge honoring Luther Story and other veterans from Sumter County and the following named veterans from Dooly County, all of whom gave their lives in World War II or the Korean War: Blue, John Augusta Brown, Bonny . . . — Map (db m53353) WM
Georgia (Early County), Blakely — Covered Bridge 2 Mi.<-----<<<
The covered bridge over Coheelee Creek, two miles north on the Old River Road, was ordered built by the Early County Board of Commissioners in 1883. It was erected by J. M. Baughman. Commissioners were J. S. Moseley, W. C. Sheffield, H. C. Fryer, . . . — Map (db m48327) HM
Georgia (Early County), Hilton — 49-1 — Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge
The construction of this 121-foot bridge at McDonald’s Ford was first authorized by the county in 1883, though construction was delayed until 1891. It was completed in four months by J.W. Baughman and thirty-six workers as a modification of the . . . — Map (db m14850) HM
Georgia (Early County), Hilton — Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge / Fannie Askew Williams Park
Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge According to the May 2, 1883 minutes of the Early County Board of Commissioners, a commission was appointed "to inquire into the practicability of construction a bridge across Coheelee Creek at McDonald Ford." . . . — Map (db m8503) HM
Georgia (Forsyth County), Cumming — 58-1 — Poole's Mill Covered Bridge
Cherokee Chief George Welch constructed a grist mill here on his extensive homeplace c. 1820. An uncovered bridge was later added. With the 1838 removal of the Cherokees, the land was sold to Jacob Scudder. Dr. M. L. Pool purchased it from Scudder´s . . . — Map (db m14944) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Franklin Springs — 59-3 — Cromer's Mill Covered Bridge
The Cromers settled on Nails Creek in Franklin County in 1845. Prior to the Civil War, the family operated a woolen mill near this site. Subsequently, the area maintained a cotton gin, flour mill and saw mill, though all operations had ceased by . . . — Map (db m14932) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), Jekyll Island — Taking Care of Family
With a family of eight Charles Stewart Maurice quickly decided accommodations of the Club House would not suffice. In 1890 he built Hollybourne, with plenty of large open, informal spaces, a home away from home during their winter stays here . . . — Map (db m72656) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Fortson — 072-10 — Bartlett's Ferry Dam; Antioch Baptist Church<-- 1 ½ MI. --<
Rev. Simpson Wilson Barley (1827-1884), minister and doctor, operated a ferry, known as Bartley’s Ferry, 1 ½ miles west on the Chattahoochee River. He preached at the nearby Antioch Baptist Church, one of the earliest in this section, and is . . . — Map (db m36165) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — 072-8 — Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial Bridge
Pine Mountain Scenic Highway & this bridge, spanning historic King’s Gap, are living monuments to President Roosevelt’s abiding interest in the natural features of Warm Springs’ environs. He, personally, selected the location of this road atop Pine . . . — Map (db m22020) HM
Georgia (Hart County), Hartwell — Louie Morris Memorial BridgeJanuary 17 , 1893 - May 10 , 1955
Formerly located upsteam 2 miles at Old Brown's Ferry Relocated 1958 Louie Morris Bridge Erected by the Highway Departments of South Carolina and Georgia, in co-operation with the U.S. Bureau Of Public Roads. Named in . . . — Map (db m21562) HM
Georgia (Long County), Ludowici — 091-6 — The Defense of the Altamaha Bridge
On Dec 1, 1864, while General Sherman's army was on its destructive march to the Sea, the Fourth Brigade, Georgia Militia, Brig. Gen. H. K. McKay, reached Morgan's Lake (0.7 mile SE) to defend the Savannah and Gulf (ACL) RR bridge over the Altamaha . . . — Map (db m4853) HM
Georgia (Meriwether County), Edman — 99-2 — Red Oak Creek Covered Bridge
This bridge was built in the 1840s by freed slave and noted bridge builder Horace King (1807-1885). Constructed on the Town lattice design, the bridge’s web of planks crisscrossing at 45- to 60-degree angles are fastened at each intersection with a . . . — Map (db m57329) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Dames Ferry — 102-9 — Dames Ferry
In 1808, widow Mary Green Dame and her six children settled in Jones County. Two sons, George and John, builders by trade, built a house on the east side of the Ocmulgee River. Zachariah Booth owned and operated the first ferry here. It was . . . — Map (db m10087) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — Leonard SpringColumbus’ Original Source of Water
In 1839 citizens first called for the development of a water works system. On this site is located the original source of water for drinking and general household use for Columbus. Beginning in 1844, Leonard Spring, with a discharge of 200,000 . . . — Map (db m22484) HM
Georgia (Oconee County), Watkinsville — 108-1 — Elder Mill Covered Bridge
Built in 1897 by Nathaniel Richardson, this 99-foot-long bridge originally carried the Watkinsville-Athens Road over Calls Creek. It was moved here to Rose Creek in 1924 and the road was relocated to its present site. The nearby c. 1900 grist mill . . . — Map (db m14945) HM
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Comer — 109-8 — Watson Mill Bridge
Built by W.W. King in 1885, Watson Mill Bridge is Georgia’s longest existing covered bridge. Of the Town lattice type it has four spans and is 236 feet long.

Covered primarily to protect the structural timbers, the bridge served local . . . — Map (db m47310) HM

Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Smithonia — 109-2 — Howard's Covered Bridge
Built in 1904-05 to replace an earlier structure, this bridge bears the name of a pioneer family who settled near Big Cloud’s Creek in the late 1700s. Constructed in the Town lattice design using convict labor, the 164-foot bridge’s web of planks . . . — Map (db m8989) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Archibald Willingham Butt Memorial Bridge
In Honor Of Archibald Willingham Butt Born in Augusta Sept. 26, 1865. Graduated in the University of the South, 1880 Major in the United States Army. Trusted Aide-de-Camp of two presidents. Major Butt went to his death . . . — Map (db m34993) HM
Georgia (Sumter County), Leslie — The Luther Story Bridge
The Luther Story Bridge honoring Luther Story and veterans from Dooly County and the following named veterans from Sumter County, all of whom gave their lives in World War II or the Korean War: Autry, James A., Jr. Bankston, Howard D., Jr. . . . — Map (db m53356) WM
Georgia (Troup County), LaGrange — Horace King Bridge Builder
Born a slave September 8, 1807, Horace King became a noted builder of covered bridges and public buildings. His talents developed under the instruction of his master and friend, John Godwin. In 1846, Godwin secured King’s freedom through the Alabama . . . — Map (db m22254) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Pond Spring — Gowan’s (Gower’s) Ford And Widow Glenn’s GraveChickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail
In mid-September 1863, General John M. Palmer’s division of the 21st Army Corps was assigned to the duty of guarding the fords on West Chickamauga Creek. A primary Federal objective was keeping the Confederates on the east side of the creek while . . . — Map (db m11986) HM
Georgia (White County), Sautee — 154-1 — Stovall Mill Covered Bridge
Fred Dover constructed a bridge and nearby grist, saw and shingle mill complex here in the late 1800s. The original bridge washed away in the early 1890s and Will Pardue replaced it in 1895 with the present 38-foot structure. Dover sold the . . . — Map (db m8984) HM
Idaho (Bonneville County), Idaho Falls — 224 — Eagle Rock Ferry
On June 20, 1863, Bill Hickman started a ferry 9 miles up Snake River for thousands of gold hunters headed for mines that now are in Montana. Named for an eagle that had a nest on a rock there, his ferry flourished until James Madison . . . — Map (db m70584) HM
Idaho (Bonneville County), Idaho Falls — 183 — Snake River Bridge
On December 10, 1864 a franchise was granted to Edward M. Morgan, James M. (Matt) Taylor, and William F. Bartlett to operate a ferry one and one-half miles below Cedar Island and build a bridge over Snake River at Black Canyon. Mr. Taylor selected . . . — Map (db m70571) HM
Idaho (Bonneville County), Idaho Falls — 223 — Taylor's Bridge
Idaho’s earliest toll bridge spanned Snake River at this rocky site in 1865, replacing Eagle Rock Ferry, 9 miles upstream. James Madison Taylor (a relative of Presidents Madison and Taylor and a founder of Denver, Colorado) settled here in . . . — Map (db m70583) HM
Idaho (Boundary County), Bonners Ferry — Moyie River Canyon
(front side) Constructed in 1964, the 1223 ft. long steel truss bridge spans the Moyie River Canyon at a height of 464 ft. It replaces the old bridge built in 1923 and 1.25 miles of narrow, winding highway. It is the second . . . — Map (db m73505) HM
Idaho (Canyon County), Melba — Guffey Bridge Snake River Idaho
The historic Guffey Bridge is an elegant Parker-through truss railroad bridge, the State’s largest artifact, and the site of the most spectacular train wreck in Idaho. The Boise, Nampa and Owyhee Railroad (BNO), was organized by owner Col. Wm. . . . — Map (db m73344) HM
Idaho (Franklin County), Preston — 236 — Pioneer Ferry and Bridge
Concrete shaft located one-half mile west on Bear River marks the site of the Nathan Williams Packer Toll Ferry and Bridge, one of the first on the river. The ferry operated with rope and carried equivalent of one team and wagon. In 1869 a bridge . . . — Map (db m48977) HM
Idaho (Shoshone County), Avery — Bridging the Gaps
Wood to Steel The Milwaukee Road built temporary wood trestles at all but Kelly Creek and Clear Creek. Fire danger prompted the railroad to immediately begin replacing the wooden structures with earth-filled embankments or building steel . . . — Map (db m45614) HM
Idaho (Shoshone County), Avery — Temporary Trestles
Get the Line Open Quickly! That was the policy of the Milwaukee Road. To do this in 1907 and 1908, the Chicago, Milwaukee & Puget Sound Railroad built numerous sturdy, but short-lived, wood trestles to prepare the new line for track as . . . — Map (db m45579) HM
Idaho (Shoshone County), Avery — The Traveler
An astonishing contraption called “The Traveler”, a giant rolling crane, erected Kelly and Clear Creek Trestles in record time. The Milwaukee decided to build Kelly and Clear Creek Trestles out of steel right From the . . . — Map (db m45618) HM
Idaho (Twin Falls County), Hansen — 393 — Hansen Bridge
Until 1919, when a high suspension bridge was completed here, this 16-mile long river gorge could be crossed only in a rowboat. With 14 cables, each more than 900 feet long, a $100,000 suspension bridge was wide enough to accommodate two lanes of . . . — Map (db m62131) HM
Idaho (Twin Falls County), Twin Falls — Ira Burton PerrineMay 7, 1861-Oct 2, 1943 — Sculpted by Ralph Lehrman
I. B. Perrine was an early Twin Falls settler and developer who made his home — Blue Lakes Ranch — in the Snake River Canyon. His vision, planning and dedication led to Twin Falls growth from a desert outpost to a flourishing city. — Map (db m62964) HM
Idaho (Twin Falls County), Twin Falls — Perrine Memorial Bridge
Lower marker: The structure you now see spanning the Snake River Canyon was completed in July 1976 at a cost of $9,700,000. It is 1500 feet in length with the roadway approximately 480 feet above the Snake River. This arch structure . . . — Map (db m62965) HM
Idaho (Twin Falls County), Twin Falls — Robert Evel KnievelExplorer, Motorcyclist and Daredevil
Attempted a mile long leap of the Snake River Canyon on Sept. 8, 1974 employing a unique skycycle. The large dirt ramp is visible approx. 2 miles east of this point on the south ridge of the canyon. Donated to the community by Sunset Memorial — Map (db m62966) HM
Illinois (Alexander County), Cairo — The Ohio River BridgeCairo, Illinois - Wickliffe, Kentucky
Completed November 11, 1933 Freed of Tolls November 11, 1948 by The Cairo Bridge Commission The Ohio River Bridge was conceived and built in the public interest by the Cairo Bridge Commission with the cooperation of the Federal Emergency . . . — Map (db m19421) HM
Illinois (Bureau County), Wyanet — The Hennepin Canal
Hennepin Canal Parkway Sign #1 Anatomy of a Canal: Canals like the Hennepin are manmade waterways for boats to travel on. Many canals are built to make shortcuts between two existing bodies of water. The Hennepin Canal was built to . . . — Map (db m44828) HM
Illinois (Carroll County), Lanark — A Stone Arch Bridge on the Galena Road
The Stone Arch Bridge that stands to the east of the present highway was on the Galena Road, once the most important trail in northern Illinois. Along this route innumerable people streamed northward to the lead mines near Galena every spring and . . . — Map (db m55806) HM
Illinois (Clark County), Marshall — Fancher Pony Truss Bridge
Hiram B. Trout and his brother, Everett Trout, were born on a farm about five miles north of this location. They operated a machine shop in Shelbyville, Illinois in the late 1800’s at which in time they invented and patented the unique design for . . . — Map (db m59336) HM
Illinois (Clark County), Marshall — Old Stone Arch Bridge
This Bridge was completed by Army Engineers sometime between 1834 and 1837 as part of the Old National Road, between Cumberland, Maryland and Vandalia, Illinois, was authorized by the enabling act of 1803 and was the Nation's first federally . . . — Map (db m71127) HM
Illinois (McLean County), Normal — Historic Camelback Bridge
The town of Normal was created at the junction of the Illinois Central and the Chicago and Alton Railroads. The Camelback Bridge is the last surviving structure in Normal associated with the railroad. Its location was chosen because here the . . . — Map (db m58105) HM
Illinois (Vermilion County), Danville — Robert E. Wurtsbaugh1930 - - 1950
Memorial Bridge Korean War Hero Dedicated May 30, 1989 — Map (db m32574) WM
Indiana (Carroll County), Burnettsville — Burnett's Creek Arch
Built in 1840 for Burnett's Creek to pass under Wabash and Erie Canal — Map (db m35488) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Cutler — Adams Mill
In 1831 John Adams, Pennsylvania, built a saw mill here. In 1832 he entered land, in 1835-36 added a flouring mill. The present building was erected in 1845, restored by M. & Mrs. Claude Sheets in 1840. Boliver Village was platted around the mill in . . . — Map (db m42694) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — Carrollton on the Wabash
90 lots platted in 1836 on both sides of Wabash - Erie Canal lock.

A Post office in 1838 - 39. The lock passed canal boats into the river on the pool of the Great Dam at Pittsburg five miles below. The mules carried the towline across the . . . — Map (db m35413) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — Mentzer TavernGrantham's Overlook
Carrollton on the Wabash The Mentzer Tavern was built in 1840 at the north end of the Carrollton Towing Path Bridge that crossed the Wabash River. Erected by Ignatius Mentzer and George Friday, it opened as a cooper shop where barrels were made . . . — Map (db m35438) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — The Carrollton Bridge
Front The Wabash & Erie Canal meets the Wabash River Carroll County Wabash & Erie Canal Delphi, Indiana See Photo #2: 1844 Timber Truss Bridge The Wabash and Erie Canal authorities built the first bridge here in . . . — Map (db m35445) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — The Wabash & Erie CanalOperating The Canal
Front The Longest Canal in North America Carroll County Wabash & Erie Canal Delphi, Indiana The Wabash & Erie Canal extended 468 miles from Toledo, Ohio to Evansville, Indiana On March 2, 1827, a Congressional land grant made . . . — Map (db m35449) HM
Indiana (Dearborn County), Guilford — Guilford Covered Bridge
Built 1879 Original Design by Archibald M. Kennedy and Sons Additional Structural Supports added in the early 1900s to sustain heavier loads produced by Guilford's rail commerce Moved from Yorkridge Rd to park in 1960 Damaged by . . . — Map (db m87947) HM
Indiana (Dearborn County), Lawrenceburg — James Buchanan Eads
Born in Lawrenceburg, became a famous engineer who built the Eads Bridge arched over the Mississippi at St. Louis and jetties at New Orleans. During the Civil War President Lincoln commissioned him to design and build ironclad gunboats for the Union . . . — Map (db m66910) HM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — Decatur County (Indiana) Bridge 140 — Bridge Moved
Built by the Pan-American Bridge Company of New Castle, Indiana, in 1915. This bridge originally carried County Road 700 South over Sand Creek, 2.5 miles East of Letts, Indiana. This bridge was disassembled, rehabilitated, and reconstructed at this . . . — Map (db m22028) HM
Indiana (Decatur County), Westport — Westport Covered Bridge
A Single Span Burr Arch Bridge Built by A.M. Kennedy & Sons in 1880 Clear Span 111 ft. 6 in. Overall Length 130 ft. Entered on the National Register of Historic Places June 25, 1982 — Map (db m73979) HM
Indiana (DeKalb County), Spencerville — 17.1996.1 — Spencerville Covered Bridge
Built 1873, by John A. McKay, spanning Saint Joseph River; a Smith Truss, Variant Four, by Smith Bridge Company, Toledo, Ohio; has remained in use with regular maintenance, repairs, and extensive 1981 restoration. Listed in National Register of . . . — Map (db m52971) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Buffalo & Mississippi RailroadPumpkinvine Nature Trail
On February 21st, 1837, the Buffalo & Mississippi Railroad first met in South Bend, Indiana to discuss the development of a rail system that would connect the county seats between Chicago, Illinois and Toledo, Ohio. After the State of Indiana denied . . . — Map (db m72700) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Fort Wayne Street Bridge
. . . — Map (db m72673) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — The Old Stone BridgeMillrace Canal Trail
Several bridges have been built across the Millrace Canal at various stages throughout its history. Most of these bridges were built for transportation purposes (first horse and carriage, then railroads and automobiles), although some were built . . . — Map (db m64231) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Veedersburg — Wabash Township" Union Mill " - — " William B. White Home "
Scott, Hultz, and Sigler commissioners appointed by State Legislature to form the newly formed Fountain County Seat of Justice, met here at William B. White Home. He erected the County's first mill here near the covered bridge, the County's . . . — Map (db m20411) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — Duck Creek Aqueduct
An aqueduct is a bridge carrying one body of water over another. The Duck Creek Aqueduct was originally built in 1843 to convey the canal over Duck Creek 16 feet below. Flood waters in 1847 destroyed the aqueduct, which was soon replaced by the . . . — Map (db m55560) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Rockdale — 24.2005.1 — Snow Hill Covered Bridge
(Front Side) Built 1894-1895 over Johnson's Fork Creek by John H. Horn and William H. Butts to a Howe truss design by John Burkhart. All men were local residents. Bridge was important passageway to Cincinnati markets. Rests on stone . . . — Map (db m66868) HM
Indiana (Grant County), Matthews — Covered Bridge
Built at New Cumberland in 1877 by William Parks of Marion at a cost of $722. The 1913 flood floated the bridge a half mile downstream. It was returned to its foundations by rollers and horsepower. New Cumberland was the second community in Grant . . . — Map (db m7479) HM
Indiana (Grant County), Matthews — Cumberland Covered Bridge
The Cumberland Covered Bridge was built in 1877. During the Great Flood of 1913, it was washed downstream. On March 26th 1913, the Mississinewa River floodwaters rose high enough (Fig. 2, 3) to push the Cumberland Covered Bridge from its . . . — Map (db m71494) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — 29.2007.1 — Potter's Covered Bridge
[Obverse]: First bridge spanning White River at Potter's Ford was commissioned 1860 and named after the landowner, William Potter. In 1870, Hamilton County Commissioners voted for construction of this "Howe Truss" bridge. It was finished . . . — Map (db m8165) HM
Indiana (Jackson County), Medora — Medora Covered Bridge
The Medora Bridge The Medora Covered Bridge was built in 1875 by noted timber bridge builder J.J. Daniels. It was built to carry local traffic across the East Fork of the White River forty years before there was a state highway . . . — Map (db m74047) HM
Indiana (Jackson County), Seymour — Shieldstown Bridge
Built in 1876 by J.J. Daniels Burr Arch Length 331 Ft. + 12 Ft. overhang/ends. Width 16 ft. height 12ft.6in. Cut stone abutments and pier. — Map (db m39335) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Warsaw — 43.2007.1 — Chinworth Bridge
Built 1897 across Tippecanoe River by Bellefontaine Bridge and Iron Company of Ohio. Single-span 140-foot iron bridge is last remaining Pratt through truss bridge in county. U.S. Highway 30 bypassed it in 1924. Closed to vehicle traffic 1975. Leased . . . — Map (db m44919) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Warsaw — Chinworth Bridge Trailhead
Welcome! to the Chinworth Bridge Trailhead Lake City Greenway Former Tippecanoe Rest Park The history of this area is tied very closely to transportation with the Chinworth Bridge (1897) and U.S. Highway 30 (1926). This scenic 2.5 . . . — Map (db m72546) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1995.2 — Joseph W. Summers Memorial Bridge
Built in 1917, this Neo-Classical, reinforced concrete arch bridge was designed by nationally prominent landscape architect, George Kessler. In 1991 the bridge was named in honor of State Representative Joseph Summers, who served with distinction as . . . — Map (db m1854) HM
Indiana (Monroe County), Gosport — 53.2000.1 — Ferry Bridge
(Side One) Pennsylvania through truss iron bridge built 1903 by Lafayette Engineering Co.; crosses West Fork of White River, spans 316 feet, and rests on concrete and stone abutments. One of longest single-span iron bridges in Indiana; . . . — Map (db m74167) HM
Indiana (Montgomery County), Darlington — 54.1993.1 — Darlington Covered Bridge
Local donations helped build this important transportation link. Completed 1868; closed to vehicular traffic, 1976. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1990. Approximately 166 feet long; Howe Truss design; built of oak and poplar with . . . — Map (db m69392) HM
Indiana (Montgomery County), Waveland — 61.1998.1 — Portland Mills Covered Bridge
Built 1856 by Henry Wolfe to Burr arch truss design. Moved here 1961 to replace Dooley Station Bridge. Restored and reopened 1996. Horizontal yellow poplar siding replaced with pine; oak arches; new cedar shingles; concrete abutments. Listed in . . . — Map (db m69399) HM
Indiana (Ohio County), Aurora — A Historic Road Less Traveled
Who would think that a country road would hold so much history? Old State Highway 56 takes you past the historic Speakman-Tallentire house and to a famous bridge. Elderly Stephen S. Speakman was in love with a young Kentucky belle who agreed to . . . — Map (db m66899) HM
Indiana (Owen County), Cloverdale — 60.2008.1 — Cataract Falls Covered Bridge
(Side One) An 1838 state law gave county commissioners power to build bridges for “public convenience” and to raise taxes to pay for them. Owen County Commissioners contracted 1875 for a “Smith’s High Double Wood . . . — Map (db m74181) HM
Indiana (Owen County), Cloverdale — The Cataract Covered Bridge
The Cataract Covered Bridge is one of Owen County’s historic treasures. It is the only remaining covered bridge in the county. It is also only one of six Smith Truss covered bridges in the state, and one of the finest remaining examples of this . . . — Map (db m74182) HM
Indiana (Parke County), Marshall — 61.1968.4 — Turkey Run
Little Ned Garland, son of the first family to settle in Indiana North of the 10 O’clock Line, is said to have named the stream below this cliff because wild turkeys roosted in trees within this chasm. — Map (db m3673) HM
Indiana (Parke County), Rockville — 61.1968.2 — 10 O'Clock LineTreaty with Potawatomi, Delaware, and Miami Indians
The famous Indian Reserve Line of 1809 which began at the mouth of Big Raccoon Creek and ended on the Ohio boundary crossed this point. — Map (db m18888) HM
Indiana (Parke County), Rockville — 1883 Railroad Depot
This 1883 Railroad Depot serves as Parke County's Tourist Information Center. All covered bridge tours begin here. Indiana's Historic Parke County The Covered Bridge Capital — Map (db m3675) HM

1113 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers were listed. Next 863
Paid Advertisement
Categories20th CenturyAbolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansAgricultureAir & SpaceAnimalsAntebellum South, USAnthropologyArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicAsian AmericansBridges & ViaductsCemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public WorkChurches, Etc.Civil RightsColonial EraCommunicationsDisastersEducationEntertainmentEnvironmentExplorationForts, CastlesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernmentHeroesHispanic AmericansHorticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceLabor UnionsLandmarksMan-Made FeaturesMilitaryNative AmericansNatural FeaturesNatural ResourcesNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesPaleontologyPatriots & PatriotismPeacePolitical SubdivisionsPoliticsRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesScience & MedicineSettlements & SettlersSportsWar of 1812War, 1st Iraq & Desert StormWar, 2nd IraqWar, AfghanistanWar, ColdWar, French and IndianWar, KoreanWar, Mexican-AmericanWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, Texas IndependenceWar, US CivilWar, US RevolutionaryWar, VietnamWar, World IWar, World IIWars, Non-USWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels
States or ProvincesAlabamaAlaskaAlbertaArizonaArkansasBritish ColumbiaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareDistrict of ColumbiaFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineManitobaMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew BrunswickNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNewfoundland and LabradorNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaNova ScotiaOhioOklahomaOntarioOregonPennsylvaniaPrince Edward IslandPuerto RicoQuebecRhode IslandSaskatchewanSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyomingYukon Territory
CountriesArgentinaAustraliaAustriaBahamasBelgiumBelizeBrazilCanadaChinaCosta RicaCzech RepublicDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEstoniaFinlandFranceGermanyGreeceGrenadaGuatemalaGuyanaHondurasHungaryIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaKiribatiLiechtensteinLuxembourgMalaysiaMexicoNetherlands AntillesNew ZealandNicaraguaPalestinian TerritoriesPhilippinesRussiaSaint LuciaScotland, UKSingaporeSouth AfricaSouth KoreaSwedenSwitzerlandThailandTurkeyTurks and Caicos IslandsU.S Virgin IslandsUkraineUnited KingdomU.S.A.