Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Charity & Public Work Historical Markers

1967 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers are listed. Next 1717
 
Cobb's Light Marker image, Click for more information
By David J Gaines, January 14, 2012
Cobb's Light Marker
Alabama (Baldwin County), Foley — Cobb's Light
1942, Benjamin DeWitt Cobb, more affectionately known as “B.D.”, was appointed as the lone police officer for the town of Foley. In 1943, another officer was hired and B.D. was appointed as the first Chief of Police. This marked the . . . — Map (db m81581) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Ethel Davis PlazaIn Memory of — Ethel Davis, Artist
1896-1968 Ethel Davis' vision and determination to enhance the quality of life in the Shoals through support and encouragement of the arts led to the foundation of the Tennessee Valley Art Association in 1963. The following year the City of . . . — Map (db m83395) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Ivy GreenBirthplace of Helen Keller
The Family Home of Captain Arthur M. & Kate Adams Keller was build 1820, being the second house erected in Tuscumbia. Here on June 27, 1880 was born America's First Lady of Courage Helen Adams Keller — Map (db m29089) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Yellow Fever Epidemic 1878 / The 31 Victims of Yellow Fever Who died in Tuscumbia
Side AYellow Fever Epidemic 1878 Taking 31 Lives in Tuscumbia Citizen's Relief Committee: F.H. Aydlett, H.M. Finley, J.J. Davis, James Jackson, Chm. J.W. Rand Jr., F.A. Ross, J.N. Sampson, Sec. and C. A. Womble. . . . — Map (db m29263) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Johann Gottfried Cullmann
Born Frankwetler, Bavarta, Germany July 2, 1823 Died Cullman, Alabama December 3, 1895 Colonel Cullmann Founded the City of Cullman, Alabama, in 1873. Later, in 1877, he founded Cullman County. He also established the Alabama Towns of Bangor, . . . — Map (db m83459) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — Sisters Missionary Servants Of The Most Blessed Trinity
On January 25, 1925 the Sisters acquired the 25 - bed Gadsden General Hospital on Chestnut Street and renamed it Holy Name of Jesus Hospital. The Hospital grew under the leadership of the Founders, Father Thomas A. Judge, C. M. and Mother Mary . . . — Map (db m39141) HM
Alabama (Franklin County), Red Bay — Red Bay School
The first school building was built around 1900 by local citizens. The building was located just across from the Methodist Church. The building was a one-room structure & there were 2 teachers who taught at the school. All pupils walked to school & . . . — Map (db m83748) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Donnelly House
This neoclassical structure was built in 1905 for James W. Donnelly, "the father of the Birmingham Library System." Donnelly moved to Birmingham from his native Cincinnati, Ohio after retiring from Proctor and Gamble. A much respected . . . — Map (db m26740) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — St. Vincent’s HospitalBirmingham’s Oldest Hospital
Named for St. Vincent de Paul, founder of the Daughters of Charity in France in 1633, the hospital opened December 20, 1898 in the temporarily rented Henry F. DeBardelaben mansion at 206 15th Street South. Father Patrick A. O’Reilly founded the . . . — Map (db m27523) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Temple Wilson Tutwiler, II / Tutwiler HotelMarch 22, 1923 - March 1, 1982
Temple Wilson Tutwiler, II “Tutwiler Green”, this section of Birmingham Green was so named in a resolution passed by the Birmingham City Council to honor the life and work of Temple Tutwiler II, who contributed greatly to the . . . — Map (db m27525) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Cascade
One popular element of the park’s original design was a water feature known as the cascade. Cascading fountains were important features in formal European gardens. Their terraced pools and waterfalls animated the landscape with the sounds and . . . — Map (db m83857) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Works Progress Administration
The WPA (Works Progress Administration) funded the design and construction of Vulcan Park in the late 1930s. This was done in conjunction with the Alabama Highway Department’s improvement of U.S. Highway 31, the major north/south route that runs . . . — Map (db m69022) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Mountain Brook — First Tuberculosis Sanatorium
1,000 feet East a small group of tents erected May, 1910 by the Anti Tuberculosis Association of Jefferson County constituted the first effort to aid victims of tuberculosis in North Alabama. — Map (db m26964) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Deibert Park-dedicated May 25, 2000-
This park was donated to the people of Florence by Dr. Kirk R. and Lillian Cook Deibert who initially acquired this property in 1952. The acreage was once a part of a large ante-bellum plantation owned by Judge Sidney Cherry Posey. In 1875 his heirs . . . — Map (db m33086) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Sculpture Relief Books and Learning1921
This sculpture relief was created by James W. Stoves and placed above the entrance to Gilbert Elementary School in 1921. In 1980, following the demolition of Gilbert school, it was moved to Hibbett Middle School. Because of its theme which relates . . . — Map (db m84048) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Hillsboro — Home of Annie Wheeler
Born July 31, 1868 ~ Died April 10, 1955 Daughter of General Joseph Wheeler Gallantly served her country three times on foreign soil. Volunteer nurse, Santiago, Cuba~1898. Spanish~American War and Manila, P.I. ~1899 during Philippine . . . — Map (db m29558) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Chewacla State Park(CCC)
Side 1 Under President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal (1933-1942), the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established to provide work for single young men. The CCC's Company 4448, Camp Alabama SP-12, began work in September 1935 to . . . — Map (db m85164) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Loachapoka — Dr. Alexandar Nunn / Lee County Historical Society
Side 1 Dr. Alexandar Nunn Dr. Nunn was born in Loachapoka on September 17, 1904. Beginning in 1924 he contributed to and edited the Progressive Farmer Magazine for 43 years. He helped to start Southern Living . . . — Map (db m73537) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Courthouse and Poor Farm Fence
A section of the fence that surrounded the 'Court House' grounds until 1916. When construction of the present building was planned, the fence was moved to the County Poor Farm on Elkton Rd. This section donated to the people of Limestone County by . . . — Map (db m85390) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Notasulga — Camp WattsNamed for Thomas H. Watts — CSA Attorney General (1862-63) and Alabama Governor (1863-65)
The camp on this site served as a military hospital, a camp of conscription and instruction, a supply depot, and a cemetery during the War Between the States. At one time, there were hundreds of headstones and rocks marking the final resting place . . . — Map (db m73529) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Civilian Conservation Corps(C. C. C.) Camp — 1935~1940
This rock entrance is all that remains of Camp Ala. SP-16, 3486 and Camp Ala. TVA-7, 3483 which were built here due to available water. They were part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's conservation projects. When WW II started the men enlisted in . . . — Map (db m55607) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Mobile City Hospital
Built in 1830 by Thomas S. James, Mobile's third hospital has been preserved in its original design except for additions at each end, serving without interruption through disastrous fires, yellow fever epidemics, and war. For 83 years between . . . — Map (db m86404) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Salvation Army in Mobile
At the corner of Conception and St. Francis Streets, Captain Edward Justus Parker, Staff-Captain Charles Miles and a Salvation Army lieutenant conducted an open air meeting on the night of their arrival in March 1887. In contrast to earlier . . . — Map (db m86337) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Hope Hull — Tankersley Rosenwald SchoolErected in 1923
This building was one of fourteen schools constructed in Montgomery County with funding assistance from the Julius Rosenwald Fund. Between 1912-32, Julius Rosenwald, a Jewish philanthropist and CEO of Sears, Roebuck and Company teamed up with Booker . . . — Map (db m71427) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Beauty and HopeRestoring the Vision...Preserving The Legacy
"This section lying between Sixth Avenue and Eight Avenue will provide the central beautification theme as it will evolve into a beautiful elevated rose garden with 2,000 selected roses planted at vantage points... the color ensemble, when complete . . . — Map (db m86480) HM
Alabama (Saint Clair County), Eden — None — Camp Winnataska
Dr. Elwyn Ballard, Commissioner of Boy Scouts in Birmingham, and his wife, Florence Aye Ballard, discovered this site in 1914, and became vital forces in the founding and growth of the camp. Boy Scouts and Boys Club members from the area first . . . — Map (db m49659) HM
Alabama (Talladega County), Talladega — Presbyterian Home For ChildrenSynod Of Alabama — Presbyterian Church In The United States
Originally conceived 1864 as a home for children of Confederate dead by Synod in session at Selma. Opened at Tuskegee 1868 - relocated in Talladega 1891. A haven for dependent youth of Alabama providing training, education, and worship in a . . . — Map (db m28206) HM
Alaska (Juneau Borough), Juneau — Patsy Ann: her statue
Fifty years after Patsy Ann met her last ship, admirers led by June Dawson organized the Friends of Patsy Ann. The group raised funds and commissioned a statue so Patsy Ann could once again greet visitors on the dock. Sculpted by Ann Burke . . . — Map (db m69663) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Albright Training Center History
The Horace M. Albright Training Center is a National Park Service facility for employee development. Established in 1963 and named for the National Park Service's second director, the training center serves as an educational program center for . . . — Map (db m39602) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — CCC Legacy
The nearby plaque commemorates an amazing feat achieved by members of the Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) in the 1930s - construction of a telephone line spanning the entire width of Grand Canyon. One of the poles still stands behind this wall. . . . — Map (db m78836) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Mission 66
Responding to mounting political and public pressure, Congress authorized a ten-year program in 1955 to regenerate and modernize the national parks dubbed "Mission 66" for the target date of 1966, the National Park Service's 50th anniversary. The . . . — Map (db m39587) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Colorado River Storage Project / Glen Canyon DamReclamation: Managing Water in the West
Colorado River Storage Project In recognition of the vision of the Colorado River Storage Project Act of 1956 and the significant contributions the act has made to the development of the Upper Colorado River Basin states, this plaque . . . — Map (db m40350) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Concrete Bucket / Concrete Core SampleReclamation: Managing Water in the West
Concrete Bucket This is one of several concrete buckets that poured the concrete in Glen Canyon Dam. Each bucket held 24 tons (22 metric tons) of concrete and it took over 400,000 buckets to complete the dam. The first pour of concrete . . . — Map (db m40342) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Glen Canyon DamColorado River Storage Project
Dedicated by the First Lady Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson September 22, 1966 United States Department of the Interior Stewart L. Udall, Secretary Bureau of Reclamation Floyd E. Dominy, Commissioner [The following marker is inside the . . . — Map (db m40370) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Hydroelectric Power - A Green and Renewable Energy SourceReclamation: Managing Water in the West
Glen Canyon Dam and other dams along the Colorado River provide critical water and power resources for millions of Americans in the Southwest. Recreation at the reservoirs is enjoyed by visitors from around the world. Turbine Runner This . . . — Map (db m40344) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Intake StructuresReclamation: Managing Water in the West
The eight small "buildings" on the upstream face of the dam contain equipment to operate the penstock gates. Each penstock is 15 feet (4.6 meters) in diameter and carries water to one of the turbine generators in the powerplant. — Map (db m40349) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Rock Bolts / High ScalingReclamation: Managing Water in the West
Rock Bolts Since Navajo sandstone tends to fracture vertically, rock bolts lock rock slabs together, thereby minimizing rock falls into the canyon. These bolts extend from 45 to 75 feet (14-23 meters) into the canyon wall. They are assembled . . . — Map (db m40346) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Turbine Runner
This stainless steel turbine runner was removed in 1989 from the Bureau of Reclamation's Crystal Dam Powerplant in Montrose, Colorado. Weighing about 8½ metric tons, it is the rotating part of a Francis-type reaction turbine (named after its . . . — Map (db m40371) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Father Albert Braun O.F.M.Born September 5, 1889 Died March 6, 1983
Father Albert was a young missionary and teacher to the Mescalero Apaches in New Mexico and other tribes in Arizona. Father Braun was an Army chaplain in World War I and World War II receiving the Purple Heart and two Silver Stars for his heroic . . . — Map (db m26830) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — Old City Jail

Location: West of the railroad tracks on Lincoln Street between McClure & Monroe, almost directly across from Allen Canning Company Warehouse. It was about 12' x 12', made of native stone, cemented together. One small window on the north side . . . — Map (db m93282) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — War Eagle Mills Farm
The Ozark Arts and Crafts Fair was founded on War Eagle Mills Farm by Lester and Blanche Elliott and friends in October 1954 for the purpose of giving recognition to Ozark artists and craftsmen who work with their hands and hearts to preserve the . . . — Map (db m52066) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — A Timeless PlaceUpper Spring

The buildings, the bluffs, the spring and The Boulevard all make this a special place in Eureka Springs which has kept a peaceful beauty of earlier times.

The front of the McLaughlin Block has changed little since it was built in . . . — Map (db m80138) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Carnegie Library

This is one of only four free public libraries in Arkansas funded by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. It was built of native limestone and completed in 1912 on this site which was donated by Eureka Springs resident Richard C. Kerens. The . . . — Map (db m80137) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Grotto Spring

The words "esto perpetua" emblazoned upon a stone above the entrance to Grotto Spring declare the prevailing belief that these healing waters would flow forth forever. Early townspeople discovered the spring under an overhanging rock ledge, a . . . — Map (db m80121) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Law Offices of F. O. Butt

Festus Orestes Butt was born in 1875 in Illinois just before his family moved to Carroll County, Arkansas. He became a licensed attorney before he was of legal age. The Arkansas General Assembly set aside his "disability of minority", and he . . . — Map (db m79735) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Sweet Spring

This spring derived its name from early townspeople who declared the water to have a pleasant, sweet taste. The spring was originally located in the deep ravine below the present site. A long wooden stairway led from the spring to the narrow . . . — Map (db m80115) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Stone Walls
Eureka Springs claims an estimated fifty-six miles of stone walls. Skilled stonemasons constructed most of the walls between 1885 and 1910. The limestone used was sometimes quarried on site but the majority was transported to the town site by . . . — Map (db m63299) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — 1908 Reunion of U.S. Marshals

[Title is text]

[Panoramic photo enlargement] — Map (db m93244) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — A14 — Sebastian County Seat of Justice

The permanent seat of justice in Sebastian County, created in 1851 was located on a site to which was given the name of Greenwood. In 1861 another court house was erected at Ft. Smith and since then the county has maintained two seats of . . . — Map (db m92349) HM

Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — James William Fulbright
President of University of Arkansas 1939-1941. U.S. Representative 1943-1944. U.S. Senator 1945. Delegate to the United Nations 1954. Author of Fulbright Resolution for International Cooperation 1943. Originator of Fulbright . . . — Map (db m59915) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Significant Dates in Fayetteville History
Significant dates in Fayetteville history include: Incorporated town in 1836; Old Wire road from Jefferson City, Mo. to Ft. Smith cut in 1835; Washington County Fair first held on the Square in 1856; first telegraph installed around 1860; . . . — Map (db m59877) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Will RogersTo The Memory Of
Whose heartfelt understanding of his fellowman made possible the planning of this avenue February 1931 — Map (db m59914) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Y.M.C.A.City of Berkeley Landmark - designated in 1990 — Benjamin G. McDougall, Architect - 1910
Originating among working class Englishmen in 1844, the Young Men's Christian Association was brought to North America in 1851 to promote a "full and balanced life" through religious devotion and athletic activity. Berkeley's charter organization . . . — Map (db m50295) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Black Panther Party Stoplight
Text for this marker is found on both sides of the panel. Side 1 On August 1, 1987 This stoplight was installed as a result of a community initiative spearheaded by the Black Panther Party Side 2 After several . . . — Map (db m72395) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — John "Alex" Alexander1924-1993
John "Alex" Alexander spent his entire working life at Naval Supply Center Oakland. Symbolic of the many dedicated civilians who worked on the base, Alex inspired others through his tireless work on behalf of the community at large and promoted . . . — Map (db m63171) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Lafayette Square Timeline
This marker consists of a number of inscribed metal strips embedded in the walkway. 1853 - Map of Oakland is laid out by J. Kellersberg showing seven public squares, including Lafayette Square. Six are symmetrical around Broadway, the . . . — Map (db m72733) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Oakland’s ChinatownsWa Sung Community Service Club
This marker is made up of two markers and two plaques on the same monument. One Community, Many Locations Chinese first settled in Oakland in the 18502 during the California Gold Rush. Unlike San Francisco’s Chinatown, Oakland’s . . . — Map (db m72762) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Chabot Dam
Chabot Dam, originally called San Leandro Dam, was built by Anthony Chabot who started Contra Coast Water Company in 1868. When artesian wells and Temescal and Sausal Creeks failed to bring Oakland and surrounding cities enough water he decided to . . . — Map (db m71714) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Oroville Carnegie LibraryBuilt 1912
has been placed on National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior In 1911, Andrew Carnegie, Scottish industrialist, businessman, and major philanthropist, endowed upon City of Oroville $10,000 for . . . — Map (db m17229) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Stege Sanitary
. . . — Map (db m94208) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — Women's Westside Improvement Club
Established July 7, 1908, for the purpose of improving the quality of life in Point Richmond, the Women's Westside Improvement Club is responsible for the original Indian statue fountain, a reading room that became the Westside Branch Library, this . . . — Map (db m94711) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 155 — Central Fire Station1516 Bonanza St. — 1926
Costing $3,000 to build, the two-story Central Fire Station was the first and "hub" station in the County's newly formed Central Fire Protection District. The station's pumper engine cost $7,000. The first fire chief was Raymond Spencer, son of . . . — Map (db m93825) HM
California (Del Norte County), Crescent City — Remembering Billy Boone
The monument you are looking at is dedicated to Billy Boone. But who was Billy Boone? Former newspaper publisher Wally Griffin, remembers him as a "promoter" of Del Norte County, but most people who remember him recall that he was instrumental in . . . — Map (db m92062) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown Volunteer Firemen
This monument is dedicated to the Georgetown Volunteer Firemen past and present who have served this community for 125 years. This bell had served as the fire alarm for many years until retired in 1965 when the new station was built. Material . . . — Map (db m11376) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — George M. Bowman1891 - 1984
This Water Tower is dedicated to George M. Bowman in recognition for thirty-six years of dedicated service to the City of Fresno and for his accomplishments as a naval officer. He was the city's first chief engineer and became general manager of . . . — Map (db m41071) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — The Fresno Water TowerAn American Water Landmark
Designed by architect George S. Mayer of Chicago, Illinois. It was completed in November 1894, replacing two wooden tanks erected on this site in 1887. The Tower stands 100 feet high with a tank capacity of 250,000 gallons. This facility, modeled . . . — Map (db m41069) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Hose Company Number 4
Built in 1884, this building became home of “Columbia Hose Company Number 4”, chartered April 2, 1894. It is the oldest surviving structure of the 7 volunteer companies organized in Eureka between 1873 and 1908. Original building had 2 . . . — Map (db m91922) HM
California (Inyo County), Furnace Creek — Stephen Tyng MatherJuly 4, 1867 - Jan. 22, 1930
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service, defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — Map (db m71148) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Westwood Firehouse
Built in 1913, this building has been the home of the Westwood Fire Department since its beginning. O.L. Lunt was the 1st Chief until 1918. Maurice Hertzig was appointed Chief in 1946 and served for 32 years, he was the last official chief. Once the . . . — Map (db m56708) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 730 — Plaza Fire House
Dedicated to the firemen of the Los Angeles Fire Department - past, present and future - who, since 1871, by their courage and faithful devotion to duty have protected the lives and property of the citizens of Los Angeles from the ravages of fire. — Map (db m51301) HM
California (Merced County), Los Banos — Henry MillerJuly 21, 1827 - October 14, 1916
There is one description of Henry Miller, California's cattle king, that sums up his contributions to this community: Henry Miller - Founding Father of Los Banos. Born 1827 in Brackenheim, Kingdom of Wurtemberg, Germany, Miller left the family . . . — Map (db m41164) HM
California (Mono County), Bodie — Return to Bodie
During the California gold rush, E Clampus Vitus was a fraternal order and benevolence society for miners. It was rumored to be one of the secret societies in the town of Bodie during its heyday. Today, ECV is dedicated to the preservation of . . . — Map (db m8493) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — Poor Farm
It began as the county hospital in Bodie in 1879. With the decline of Bodie in the mid 1880’s, the hospital was moved eventually to a site east of this monument and Highway 395 to the rear of the small meadow that you see. At that time it became . . . — Map (db m11347) HM
California (Nevada County), Grass Valley — 855 — Mount Saint Mary’s Convent and Academy
Built by the Reverend Thomas J. Dalton and dedicated May 2, 1865 by Bishop Eugene O’Connell as Sacred Heart Convent and Holy Angels Orphanage. Under the Sisters of Mercy it served from 1866 to 1932 as the first orphanage of the Northern Mines. It . . . — Map (db m12898) HM
California (Nevada County), Nevada City — Pennsylvania Engine Co. No. 2January 14, 1861
Fire Company formed June 18, 1860 as Eureka Hose No.2 with 34 volunteers. Name changed in August of that year to ‘Pennsylvania Engine’. Construction money raised in 1859 by popular subscription and a grand ball staged by the town’s women. This . . . — Map (db m10832) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — Helena Modjeska
This statue is the oldest public works of art project of its type in Orange County. Sponsored by the State Emergency Relief Administration, the Anaheim Rotary Club and the City of Anaheim, it was originally dedicated on September 15, 1935. . . . — Map (db m51967) HM
California (Plumas County), Cromberg — Vardanega Spring
John Vardanega, first owner of Mt. Tomba Inn, (1933-1944) designed and built this cement tank with the help of the CCC on or about 1938 for water supply in the immediate vicinity. — Map (db m56612) HM
California (Riverside County), Banning — 60 — Banning Woman's Club Clubhouse
Built in 1915, the Banning Woman's Club Clubhouse is a frame building in the classical revival style with a plain entablature, simple doric columns, and palladian windows, as well as providing a meeting place for the woman's club, the socal and . . . — Map (db m50710) HM
California (Riverside County), Indio — 116 — Dr. June Robertson McCarroll
Dr. June Robertson McCarroll was born June 30, 1867 in the Adirondacks and began her medical career in Chicago. She left a promising practice for Indio in 1904. Becoming the sole practicing physician for the entire Coachella Valley. She traveled by . . . — Map (db m78540) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 614 — Leland Stanford House
The house originally designed in 1857 by Seth Babson and was purchased by Leland Stanford in 1861. It served as the State Executive Office from 1861 to 1867, before the completion of the State Capital. It was later extensively remodeled and . . . — Map (db m11842) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Margaret Rhodes Crocker1822 – 1901 — Wife of Edwin Bryant Crocker
The donation of her late husband’s art collection to the city in 1885 gave Sacramento the first and finest art gallery west of the Mississippi. Other philanthropic gestures during her lifetime, which included generous support of the Protestant . . . — Map (db m10769) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Old Masonic Cemetery
Plot Size: 67” by 68’ Established 1859 In purchasing this site from the Board of Trustees, Sacramento City Cemetery, July 30, 1859, the Order of Free and Accepted Masons became the first fraternal organization in Sacramento to provide a . . . — Map (db m14075) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Old Odd Fellows PlotThe Independent Order of Odd Fellows
They were an order that inscribed upon their banners, “Visit the sick, relieve the distressed, and bury the dead.” “To the benevolent – If there is any of that commodity called charity in this community, we earnestly call . . . — Map (db m12489) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Sisters of MercyArrival in Sacramento, October 2, 1857
This sculpture commemorates the 150th anniversary of the Sisters of Mercy caring for those in need to the greater Sacramento region. Mary Baptist Russell, California Foundress of the Sisters of Mercy, is depicted here as a woman of vision, courage . . . — Map (db m14840) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Site of the Ridge Home - Sacramento's First Mercy Hospital
On June 24, 1895 the Sisters of Mercy responded to the healthcare needs of the people of Sacramento by acquiring the Ridge Home, a small private hospital, from two local physicians. In 1896, the Sisters broke ground for the construction of a larger . . . — Map (db m91585) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Arrowhead — Donald S. Wieman1900 - 1977
In 1932, during the Great Depression, California launched a large public works project to aid recovery. A major component was the construction of masonry walls, parapets and fountains along the historic "Rim of the World" highway. This work, widely . . . — Map (db m51261) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — 994 — A.K. Smiley Public Library
Albert K. Smiley, a leader of the city's library movement, donated this building and park to the citizens of Redlands in 1898. Through his generosity, Redlands was given one of California's few privately funded libraries of that era. In 1906, he . . . — Map (db m51029) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Twentynine Palms — 23 — Minerva Hamilton Hoyt
Her tireless efforts to establish Joshua Tree National Monument contributed to a heightened appreciation, not only of the Joshua Tree, but of the total desert environment. — Map (db m78588) HM
California (San Diego County), Carlsbad — 1020 — Leo Carrillo Ranch(Rancho de Los Kiotes)
Between 1937 and 1940, these adobe and wood buildings were built by actor Leo Carrillo as a retreat, working ranch, and tribute to old California culture and architecture. The Leo Carrillo Ranch, with its Flying "LC" brand, originally covered 2,538 . . . — Map (db m51105) HM
California (San Diego County), Ramona — Ramona Town Hall
Dedicated on Washington's birthday, February 22, 1894, this building was given to the townspeople of Nuevo (as Ramona was then known) by a rancher and financier Augustus Barnett and his wife Martha. Feeling that the local schoolhouse was not a . . . — Map (db m82350) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Don Antonio AguirreSan Diego Merchant and Ranchero — 1799 – 1860
Don Jose Antonio Aguirre built his adobe mansion on this site on or just prior to 1868. Because the Casa de Aguirre was one of the first houses in Old Town, the Aguirre – Antonio, his wife Rosaria and their many children – are considered . . . — Map (db m11648) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Father Antonio UbachLast of the Padres — 1835 – 1907
Antonio Dominic Ubach, passionate advocate for California Native Americans, and defender of Indian rights, ran St. Anthony’s Indian School on this site from 1856 to 1891. Father Ubach, created programs to help hundreds of Indian children adapt to an . . . — Map (db m11647) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Antonia ManorUptown Tenderloin Historic District — Formerly Hotel Governor c. 1925
Acquired by Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation in 2000. This building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m90144) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — History of Union Square
1839 Jean Vioget laid out the first plan of Yerba Buena (later San Francisco), showing the Union Square site as a future park. 1847 Jasper O’Farrell created a second, more accurate plan for the blocks of San Francisco, designating this . . . — Map (db m71915) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Oasis ApartmentsUptown Tenderloin Historic District — c. 1928
Formerly YMCA Hotel This building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m90171) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Officer Jane Warner
Jane Warner spent two decades keeping the peace in the city's Castro, Noe Valley and Mission neighborhoods as a San Francisco Patrol Special Police Officer. To her many friends, she was simply known as "Officer Jane". She was dedicated not only . . . — Map (db m64229) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 691 — Sarcophagus of Thomas Starr King
Apostle of liberty, humanitarian, Unitarian minister, who in the Civil War bound California to the Union and led her to excel all other states in support of the United States Sanitary Commission, predecessor to the American Red Cross. His statue, . . . — Map (db m91855) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Frank J. Portman Memorial Diorama1939 - 1995
Frank J. Portman, president of the Frank Portman Company and our Restoration Project contractor was called to God one week before our celebration to mark the completion of the Old Mission Dolores Restoration Project. From the inception of the . . . — Map (db m72505) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Salvation Army
On this site the work of The Salvation Army on the Pacific Coast was started by Major Alfred Wells July 22nd, 1883 San Francisco July 21st, 1939 Map (db m40816) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The San Francisco Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Near this site occurred the incident which led to the formation of The San Francisco Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals on April 8, 1868 ——————————— . . . — Map (db m33538) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — White Angel
It was westering and westering. And then the old men came to edge of the continent and saw they could go no further, they broke down and wept. Down and out on the waterfront in Frisco. The end of the line. Out of work. Out of food. And out of hope. . . . — Map (db m70843) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lodi — Woman's Club of Lodi
On May 20, 1988 this unique 1923 Roman style building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In celebration we honor those women of vision who in 1906 started this club, first known as the Lodi Improvement Club. Their efforts . . . — Map (db m91787) HM
California (San Mateo County), Woodside — A Monument to Water
Here on October 28, 1934, an eager audience celebrated the roar of Hetch Hetchy water as it rushed to the Peninsula for the first time. An adequate supply of high-quality drinking water was finally a reality for the Bay Area. — Map (db m92635) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Camp Mt. Madonna
[Side-bar on left:] At New Almaden During the Depression (1933-1942) and after most mining activity had ceased, New Almaden once again gave jobs, hope and future to young men through a program created by Franklin D. Roosevelt called . . . — Map (db m52778) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Site of English Town * CCC Camp Mt. Madonna
The Civilian Conservation Corps, established in 1933 by the Federal Government for nine years became one of the most constructive national service programs. CCC Companies: 1917-V, 1235, 3341, 3325, 739, 4500 occupied this camp between 1933 and 1939. . . . — Map (db m52774) HM
California (Shasta County), Anderson — Anderson Historic Fire Station
Originally constructed in 1903 on this site as a two-story building, the Anderson Fire Station was completed for a cost of $90 for used lumber and nails. Initial firefighting equipment included twelve buckets, four axes, three sections of hose . . . — Map (db m70345) HM
California (Shasta County), Burney — The Civilian Conservation Corps: A Surviving Legacy
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established in 1933 under President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal program. During the years of the Great Depression, when the stock market crash and ensuing business closures left many Americans . . . — Map (db m96652) HM
California (Shasta County), Castella — 4 — CCC Camp (1934-1939)
For just six short years Sims was the location of a bustling Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp... With its wooded valley and beautiful river setting, Sims was a haven to the boys from Company 978 who came from the busy cities of San . . . — Map (db m69843) HM
California (Shasta County), Castella — 1 — Sims Bridge: A CCC First
It took a bit of grit and determination for the Forest Service and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) crew to build this sturdy bridge... Raymond Huber, who supervised the project remembers... “I was given a pickup and a plan of a 160-foot . . . — Map (db m69821) HM
California (Shasta County), Lassen Volcanic National Park — Stephen Tyng MatherJuly 4, 1867 - Jan. 22, 1930
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service, defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — Map (db m71149) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Tulelake — Camp Tulelake
1935-1942 Civilian Conservation Corps This camp was built and staffed by the CCC, an organization that was established during the Great Depression by President Franklin Roosevelt to reduce unemployment and to preserve the nation's . . . — Map (db m88000) HM
California (Sonoma County), Bodega Bay — The Children's Bell TowerNicholas Green Memorial
The Children's Bell Tower is dedicated to children everywhere. It was inspired by the death of seven-year old Nicholas Green of Bodega Bay who was shot by highway robbers while on vacation with his parents in Italy, on September 29, 1994. All . . . — Map (db m87570) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Big Oak Flat — Joseph E. Lemos1892 – 1961
Initiated Ione Lodge 51 & Ione Rebeka Lodge 270 – 1931 Transferred Yosemite Lodge 97 – 1941 Big Oak Rebeka Lodge 259 – 1947 District Deputy Grand Master 1943 & 1958 District Deputy Grand Marshall 1948 & 1953 Appointed . . . — Map (db m14265) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Sonora — 6007 — Rother's Corner
The corner property was originally called Patrick’s Corner, after George Washington Patrick, an early settler of Sonora and one of its first mayors. At the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, Patrick left Sonora to volunteer his services to the . . . — Map (db m6968) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Tuolumne — Hose Cart House
This hose cart house restored March 1974, by Tuolumne Hose Co. No. 1, in memory of those who fought fire and originated the first volunteer fire dept. in the townsite of Summerville in 1885. — Map (db m6814) HM
California (Yolo County), Winters — J. Robert Chapman Memorial Bridge
The Vaca Valley Railroad built a rail and wagon trestle bridge across Putah Creek into Yolo County at this site in 1875, bringing about the birth of the town of Winters. The bridge was built with the financial assistance of prospective businessmen . . . — Map (db m72905) HM
Colorado (Adams County), Westminster — WFD Volunteers 1934 - 2000
The value of one's life can be measured by how he or she has added value to the lives of others. In 2003 this statue was dedicated to those who gave freely of their time to serve Westminster Citizens through the fire service and community activities. — Map (db m4648) HM
Colorado (Boulder County), Boulder — Boulder County Courthouse FountainRenovated in 1998
The fountain was erected in 1936 by the Boulder Lions Club. Its smooth terra cotta cladding and strong vertical lines complement the 1933 Art Deco Style courthouse. The courthouse and fountain were designed by local architect Glen H. Huntington. . . . — Map (db m87600) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — Billy Drew Bridge
(left side) Bridging Our History This bridge is the second Billy Drew Bridge erected on this site. The original Billy Drew Bridge was built in 1976 as part of Golden’s celebration of the Centennial-Bicentennial, the nation’s 200th . . . — Map (db m70396) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 17 — Elmwood Park– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut
In 1801, Mr. Major Starr donated the land necessary to take a large curve out of Main Street on condition that it serve as a permanent common. To this end, residents from the southern end of the street raised their own funds and created Elmwood . . . — Map (db m71476) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), New Fairfield — New Fairfield Fire Department Memorial
Upper marker: The New Fairfield Volunteer Fire Department Dedicated To All Members Past and Present 2003 Lower marker: The New Fairfield Volunteer Fire Company, Inc. was formed in 1934 consisting of seven districts – . . . — Map (db m23061) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — Michael F. Lione Memorial Park
Michael F. Lione Memorial Park Large, soft-brown eyes, reverently expressing the simple faith of a little boy; determined countenance and rugged body that bespoke the athlete who never quit; tenderness and compassion without softness and . . . — Map (db m38769) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bristol — Albert F. Rockwell
Albert F. Rockwell 1862 – 1925 Inventor, manufacturer, public- spirited citizen. He gave to the city this park and contributed liberally to its development. His initiave and counsel were of great value in the civic and . . . — Map (db m34281) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bristol — John Christopher Mack
1929 This Tablet is to Perpetuate the Memory Of John Christopher Mack A public spirited citizen who truly loved Bristol the place of his birth. His declining years were spent in California yet his interest in his native town never . . . — Map (db m34282) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Farmington — "American Board"
Here Was Founded the "American Board" 1810 Oldest U. S. Society For Foreign Missions — Map (db m33014) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Farmington — American Board of Commissioners For Foreign Missions
American Board of Commissioners For Foreign Missions Here, on September 5, 1810, in the parsonage of the Reverend Noah Porter, minister of the Congregational Church of Farmington, Connecticut, the American Board Of Commissioners for . . . — Map (db m33015) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Recapture of the Connecticut River
Recapture of the Connecticut River 1981 – 1999 Dedicated September 3, 1999 On the occasion of the opening of Riverfront Plaza and Terraces Founders Bridge Promenade and State Street Landing [ left plaque ] A Historic . . . — Map (db m52601) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Theodore Wirth
Theodore Wirth Superintendent Hartford Parks 1896 - 1905 Designer 1903 Elizabeth Park Rose Garden To whom this rose bed is dedicated and for whom it will be maintained as long as the park is here and people love roses . . . forever . . . — Map (db m44111) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — City of New Britain Sesquicentennial Anniversary
City of New Britain Sesquicentennial Anniversary 1850 – 2000 Tree Planting Legacy Project Mayor Lucian J. Pawlak • Honarary Chair Thomas G. Ronalter • Sesquicentennial Chair Aime Brochu • Common Council Majority Leader Geoffrey G. . . . — Map (db m41309) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — Cornelius B. Erwin
Cornelius B. Erwin 1811 – 1885 Cornelius Erwin was one of New Britain's greatest benefactors and an original shareholder in the Walnut Hill Park Company. He built several successful businesses including Russell & Erwin Manufacturing Company, . . . — Map (db m41763) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — Darius Miller
Darius Miller A frugal dry goods merchant who died in 1919 as a multi-millionaire, Miller bequeathed funds to local institutions, including a seventy-five thousand dollar trust to the City of New Britain. He asked that "the income be used and . . . — Map (db m41758) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — Elise Traut
Elise Traut Born in Gotha, Germany, in 1855, Elise Traut started one of New Britain's best traditions – the Christmas Tree in Central Park. Active in community organizations and an avid writer, she resided on Arch Street. In 1912, she . . . — Map (db m41756) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — Frederick H. North
Frederick H. North 1824 – 1907 Frederick North was born in New Britain on August 10, 1824. After graduating from Yale University in 1846, he entered the manufacturing business with his father and later joined with Oliver Stanley and John B. . . . — Map (db m41765) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — Frederick Law Olmstead
Frederick Law Olmstead 1822 – 1903 Landscape architect Frederick Law Olmstead, the nineteenth century visionary who founded the profession of landscape architecture, is responsible for the overall design of Walnut Hill Park. Influenced by the . . . — Map (db m41759) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — Frederick T. Stanley
Frederick T. Stanley 1802 – 1883 Frederick Trenck Stanley was an early civic leader and a successful industrialist. The development of Walnut Hill Park arose from one of Stanley's visionary projects, the development of a water works. Stanley . . . — Map (db m41767) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — George M. Landers
George M. Landers 1813 – 1895 George Landers, another member of the Walnut Hill Park Company, was a giant among nineteenth century industrialists. Born in Lenox, Massachusetts, he came to New Britain at the age of sixteen and learned the . . . — Map (db m41764) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — Henry E. Russell
Henry E. Russell 1816 – 1893 A member of the Walnut Hill Park Company, Henry Russell was one of New Britain's leading industrialists of the nineteenth century. He is primarily remembered for his partnership in the Russell and Erwin . . . — Map (db m41766) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — Original Design of Walnut Hill Park
Original Design of Walnut Hill Park By Olmstead Vaux & Co. Landscape Architects – 1870 On July 18, 1867 Frederick T. Stanley sent the following letter to Frederick Law Olmstead Dear Sir: A Public park is proposed to be laid out in . . . — Map (db m41374) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — Seth E. Case1825 - 1864
Seth Case was born in Simsbury, Connecticut in 1825 and graduated from Yale College in 1847. he was a successful lawyer in New Britain, was one of the shareholders of the Walnut Hill Park Company, and later became a Judge of Probate for the . . . — Map (db m41761) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — William A. Churchill
William A. Churchill William Churchill was one of the ten shareholders in the Walnut Hill Park Company, which was incorporated in 1857 for the purpose of developing a public park. He was one of New Britain's early philanthropists. In addition to . . . — Map (db m41762) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), New Britain — William B. Stanley
William B. Stanley William Stanley was one of New Britain's earliest and most progressive manufacturers. Stanley, in partnership with his brother, Frederick Stanley, began the manufacture of door locks in New Britain in 1831 – the first . . . — Map (db m41755) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Plantsville — Southington Recreation Park
Southington Recreation Park 54 Acres Site Purchased 1929 A Civic Project Proposed By Members of The Southington Exchange Club Financed by Voluntary Contribution Of The Citizens of Southington Swimming Pool, Athletic Field And . . . — Map (db m35971) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Morris — White Memorial Foundation
In Memory Of Margaret Whitlock White 1869-1941 Alain Campbell White 1880-1951 Through whose generosity and foresight the White Memorial Foundation was created to hold in trust for the benefit and enjoyment of present and future generations . . . — Map (db m58644) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Watertown — Marion A. Munson Memorial Park
This tablet is erected in grateful recognition of the generosity and public spirit of William J. Munson who gave this park to Watertown in memory of his wife. — Map (db m18856) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Meriden — Hubbard Park
Hubbard Park Hubbard Park was a gift to the City of Meriden from industrialist and philanthropist Walter Hubbard in 1901. Consulting with landscape architect John Olmstead, son of Frederick law Olmstead, designer of New York's Central Park, Mr. . . . — Map (db m33632) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), New Haven — East Shore Park
East Shore Park New Haven, Connecticut This 90 acre tract was once part of the land the Townsend family purchased in 1798 from the Quinnipiac Indian Tribe. The Townsends harvested salt hay from the tidal marsh, selling it for packing material to . . . — Map (db m35725) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Waterbury — Hamilton Park
Hamilton Park Given in Memory Of David Boughton Hamilton 1824 – 1898 Manufacturer Banker State Senator Captain 5th Regiment Connecticut Voluteers Public-Spirited Citizen This land adjacent to Rogers and Brothers Silver . . . — Map (db m35979) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Waterbury — John Prince Elton
John Prince Elton 1865 – 1948 Mayor of the City of Waterbury 1903 – 1905 Bequeathed to the city this site on which was the home of the Elton Family. True to the tradition of his forebears, he devoted his lifetime to the . . . — Map (db m35978) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Waterbury — Reverend Michael Joseph McGivney
Reverend Michael Joseph McGivney 1852 – 1890 Founder of The Knights of Columbus New Haven, Conn. March 29, 1882 [ back ] Erected March 29, 1957 by the Supreme Council Knights of Columbus at the Birthplace . . . — Map (db m24039) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Waterbury — UNICO National
1922   1972 Commemorating The 50th Anniversary Of The Founding Of UNICO National Hotel Elton, Waterbury, Connecticut October 10, 1922 "Service Above Self" — Map (db m36067) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Cheswold — KC-83 — Cheswold Volunteer Fire Company
This company was organized on February 2, 1928, when a group of interested citizens met at C. H. Pearson’s Store for the purpose of electing officers. William S. Scarborough was chosen to be the President of the organization, and Willard D. Boyce . . . — Map (db m39050) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-67 — "First in the World"Post # 14 American Legion Ambulance Service
In 1924, the members of the David C. Harrison American Legion Post # 14 initiated the first American Legion ambulance service in the world. Its eighteen founding members were veterans of World War I who volunteered their time to transport the sick . . . — Map (db m39026) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — In Memory of Philip and Lydia Laird
Former owners of the Read House, their home for fifty-five years. They were longtime benefactors of New Castle doing much to encourage and promote the preservation and architectural beauty of this colonial town. — Map (db m54697) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-205 — Christiana Public School #111-C
Formal education for African American children in Christiana began in the 1880s with the construction of a one-room schoolhouse. Many African American schools in existence at this time were marked by dilapidated facilities, a lack of running water, . . . — Map (db m94284) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Iron Hill School #112CPreserving History: The African-American Community of Iron Hill
The Iron Hill Museum is dedicated to the study of human and natural history of the Iron Hill Area. The Museum is currently engaged in a project to restore the Iron Hill School #112C and document the experiences of African-American students who . . . — Map (db m10053) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-130 — New Century Club
In 1893 a group of Newark women established a literary and social organization known as the Tuesday Club. Later renamed the New Century Club, the organization became part of the General Federation of Women's Clubs. Committed to matters of civic . . . — Map (db m9969) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-139 — Oriental Lodge #12, I.O.O.F.
The origins of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows can be traced to the creation of beneficial trade societies in England. Composed of craftsmen who practiced a variety of different or "odd" occupations, the purpose of these organizations was to . . . — Map (db m9898) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-129 — Pride of Delaware Lodge #349 IBPOEW
The Improved Benevolent Protective Order of Elks of the World was formally organized in 1898. Designed to promote civic improvements, the IBPOEW is one of the largest fraternal organizations of its type in the world. Responding to the request of a . . . — Map (db m9974) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — The Diamonds Walkway
The Diamonds Walkway recognizes donors who make leadership level gifts to the University of Delaware for five consecutive years as members of the Delaware Diamonds Society. Each brick in the walkway is inscribed to recognize the generosity of our . . . — Map (db m92140) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — The Judge Morris EstateThe Former Home of a Delaware Attorney and Judge
Built in the 1790s, this 2½ story gray fieldstone house is the former home of Judge Hugh M. Morris. Morris was a Delaware native, respected attorney and distinguished federal judge. He purchased the house and a large parcel of land here in . . . — Map (db m39506) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Townsend — NC-93 — Taylor's Bridge School(District No. 66)
On April 5, 1923 a frame schoolhouse located nearby was destroyed by a storm. Within two weeks the General Assemble appropriated $5,000 to construct a new school. Although the amount proved to be inadequate, P.S. duPont, through the Delaware School . . . — Map (db m10596) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-201 — Blue Rock Community Club
Established in 1917 as part of the esteemed General Federation of Women's Clubs, The Blue Rock Community Club (BRCC) provided an important social and service-oriented outlet for women. Beginning with just 11 founding members, the Club became an . . . — Map (db m94235) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-121 — Cool Spring Park
With the completion of Cool Spring Reservoir in 1877, an adjoining parcel of unused land was reserved for park purposes. Formally designated as Cool Spring Park, the grounds were managed by the Wilmington Water Department until 1967, when the City . . . — Map (db m10917) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-128 — Freedom Lost
By the late 1700s the institution of slavery was declining in Delaware. A changing economy and the active efforts of Quakers and Methodists had led to the manumission of many slaves and dramatic growth of the state’s free black population. Though . . . — Map (db m10950) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-216 — One Love Park
Originally named Tatnall Street Playground in 1907, this park is located across the street from the home at 2311 Tatnall Street that singer-songwriter Bob Marley occupied with his mother in 1966. In order to raise funds to start his own record label . . . — Map (db m94214) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-110 — Rockford Tower
In 1895, Theodore Leisen, engineer for the Wilmington Board of Park Commissioners, recommended that "a large pavilion and observatory" be built in Rockford Park on what was called Mt. Salem Hill, the highest point in the city at 330 feet above sea . . . — Map (db m13590) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Willingtown Square
Willingtown Square honors Thomas Willing and the original name of the town he helped found in 1731. The four brick structures, built between 1748 and 1801, represent the types of houses common in early Willingtown. Buildings like these often served . . . — Map (db m10948) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-170 — Georgetown Fire Company
On April 11, 1903, the commissioners of the Town of Georgetown held a public meeting to organize a fire company for the community. The effort was in response to the demands of businessmen and homeowners who had experienced rising insurance . . . — Map (db m48860) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milton — SC-153 — Milton Fire Department, Inc.
Like many local communities, Milton was plagued by numerous destructive fires during the 19th century. By the 1890s, citizens were calling for the establishment of a fire department to protect the town and surrounding area. The effort was ultimately . . . — Map (db m37395) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milton — SC-215 — Rising Sun Lodge #4, F. & A.M., P.H.A.
The roots of African-American Masonry in this country can be traced to the period of the American Revolution, when founder Prince Hall and others established the first Masonic Lodge for men of color in Boston, Massachusetts. By the early 19th . . . — Map (db m69807) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Seaford — SC-164 — Seaford Fire Department
On November 14, 1901, a group of concerned citizens met in the Seaford town conncil room for the purpose of discussing the organization of a fire company. By the end of the month, over 50 person had volunteered. The company was formally named the . . . — Map (db m4819) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Slaughter Beach — The Memorial Vol. Fire Co.
Founded in 1954 after a fire had destroyed a business on Bay Ave. Re-incorporated in 1958 and the original two bay station was constructed in the fall of 1959  Named the Memorial Fire Co. by the charter members in honor of those who . . . — Map (db m61501) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — 255 — All the Row HousesDupont Circle — Diverse Visions / One Neighborhood
All the row houses in the 1700 block of Q St. (north and south pictured above) were built in the mid-1880s by one of Washington's most prolific architects/builders, Thomas Franklin Schneider. The prosperity and growth during the 1880s in DC resulted . . . — Map (db m80020) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Ballington and Maud BoothThe Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Founded Volunteers of America in 1896 with the mission to reach and uplift all people. The Booths envisioned a movement that would care for the whole person – mind, body and spirit. Their vision lives on in a national organization that . . . — Map (db m92086) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Bill W. and Dr. BobThe Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
United in their search for sobriety, Dr. Bob and Bill W. established Alcoholics Anonymous in 1935. This fellowship allows men and women to share with one another their experience, strength and hope in order to carry the message of recovery to . . . — Map (db m92065) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Clara Barton 1821 - 1912The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Clara Barton lived a lifetime of tireless service to others. During the American Civil War, she became known as the “Angel of the Battlefield,” delivering supplies and caring for the sick and wounded. After the war, Barton organized a . . . — Map (db m92177) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Clifford W. Beers 1876 - 1943The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Founded the National Mental Health Association in 1909 to improve mental health care and fight discrimination against people with mental illness. To instigate this reform, Beers courageously shared his own experience with mental illness in his . . . — Map (db m92194) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Dorothea Dix 1802 - 1887The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Inspired by her social conscience, Dorothea Dix launched a self-financed career aimed at improving the lives of the mentally ill. Her mission to document squalid institutional living conditions and inhumane treatment built public awareness and . . . — Map (db m91874) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Dr. Edgar J. HelmsThe Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Dr. Edgar J. Helms founded Goodwill Industries in 1902 to help people with disabilities and disadvantages fully participate in society by expanding their occupational capabilities. To accomplish this mission, Helms created an innovative system . . . — Map (db m92000) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Dr. Ethel Percy Andrus 1884 - 1967The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Dr. Ethel Percy Andrus, a retired educator, founded AARP in 1958 to promote her philosophy of productive aging. She influenced the marketplace to develop innovative solutions for social needs. Today, her organization promotes independence, dignity . . . — Map (db m92105) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Edgar Allen 1862 - 1937The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Edgar “Daddy” Allen founded Easter Seals in 1919. Inspired by his vision and passion, Easter Seals creates solutions that change lives and assures that children and adults with disabilities can live with equality, dignity and . . . — Map (db m92201) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Ernest K. Coulter 1871 - 1952The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Ernest K. Coulter’s enduring contribution is the founding, in 1904, of the Big Brothers Big Sisters youth mentoring movement. Coulter lived a life of purpose and passion. Social welfare activist, journalist, lecturer, author, lawyer and advocate for . . . — Map (db m92126) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Eunice Kennedy ShriverThe Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
When Eunice Kennedy Shriver founded Special Olympics in 1968, she envisioned a program of athletic competition for people with mental and developmental disabilities that sidelined prejudice and substituted opportunity and understanding. Through her . . . — Map (db m91919) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Father Michael J. McGivney
1852-1890 A visionary parish priest through whose determined efforts The Knights of Columbus was founded in New Haven, Connecticut, in 1882 to strengthen the faith of Catholic men and to protect their families — Map (db m96320) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Helen Keller 1808 - 1969The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
⠠⠓⠑⠇⠑⠝ ⠠⠅⠑⠇⠇⠻ Blind and deaf writer and activist, and guiding force of the American Foundation for the Blind who devoted her life to expanding possibilities . . . — Map (db m92237) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Jane Addams 1860 - 1935The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
In 1889, with Ellen Gates Starr, Jane Addams founded Hull House in Chicago, one of the nation’s first settlement houses. It served as a community center for the poor and its success helped lead to the creation of hundreds of similar organizations in . . . — Map (db m91873) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Juliette Gordon LowThe Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Juliette Gordon Low Founded Girl Scouts of the United States of America in 1912 to encourage girls to develop and strengthen their leadership skills, to provide support, kindness and compassion to those in need; and to prepare to serve as . . . — Map (db m92229) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Luther and Charlotte GulickThe Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Luther and Charlotte Gulick founded Camp Fire in 1910 as America’s first nonsectarian, interracial organization for girls. Boys joining in 1975. The organization provided opportunities and real-life lessons seven areas key to successful childhood . . . — Map (db m91876) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Martin Luther King, Jr. 1929 - 1968The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
In founding the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. gave momentum to the civil rights movement. Dr. King’s persistent efforts, inspiring oratory and non-violent protests, despite physical attacks, death threats and . . . — Map (db m91920) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Melvin JonesThe Extra Mile — Points of Light Voluteer Pathway
Believing in the power of cooperative altruism, Melvin Jones helped shape Lions Club International into the largest network of services clubs in the world. The organization is committed to assisting the visually impaired and supporting sight . . . — Map (db m91918) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Merriweather Home for ChildrenAfrican American Heritage Trail, Washington, D.C. — 733 Euclid Street, NW
The National Association for the Relief of Destitute Colored Women and Children was established by an 1863 Act of Congress. Elizabeth Keckley (ca. 1818-1907), former slave and seam­stress for Mary Todd Lincoln, was a founding member and spent her . . . — Map (db m84629) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Millard and Linda FullerThe Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Founded Habitat for Humanity, a Christian organization with “open arms” to all who want to be involved, that builds affordable houses with families who need adequate shelter. Proclaiming a message of faith, hope, and love, the Fullers . . . — Map (db m92092) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — 326 — Myrtilla MinerDupont Circle — Diverse Visions/One Neighborhood
Myrtilla Miner (1815-1864), born near Brookfield, NY, was an idealistic white teacher who came to Washington to teach African Americans. In 1853, with funding from northern abolitionists, she paid $4,000 for a three-acre site at 20th and N Sts. . . . — Map (db m89607) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Paul Harris 1868 - 1947The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Inspired by the simple idea of combining fellowship and service, Paul Harris pioneered the service club movement with the founding of Rotary International. Rotary fulfilled his dream of a worldwide organization of business and professional people . . . — Map (db m92025) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Roger Baldwin 1884 - 1981The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Roger Nash Baldwin passionately believed in the protection of individual liberty. In 1920, Baldwin and his fellow reformers established the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) to ensure that the Bill of Rights would be preserved for each new . . . — Map (db m91938) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Susan B. Anthony 1820 - 1906The Extra Mile — Points of light Volunteer Pathway
Blessed with an industrious and self-disciplined spirit, Susan B. Anthony persevered through the prejudice and culture of her time to emerge as the architect of a movement which secured the passage of the 19th Amendment that gave women the right to . . . — Map (db m92190) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Two Journey's Lie Ahead. One is the tangible journey of visiting this monument and taking inspiration from the noble achievements of the men and women honored by the bronze medallions that form the pathway ahead. The other — less . . . — Map (db m92238) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — W. D. Boyce 1858 - 1929The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Inspired by the “good turn” of an unknown English Scout, W. D. Boyce brought Scouting to the United States in 1910, making it possible for millions of young Americans to benefit from its values-based education programs. . . . — Map (db m92085) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Wallace Campbell 1911 - 1998The Extra Mile — The Extra Mile
Wallace Campbell, together with Lincoln Clark and Arthur Ringland, founded Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere (CARE) in 1945 to rush lifesaving assistance to the survivors of World War II in Europe and Asia. Over 100 million relief . . . — Map (db m91984) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — William Edwin Hall 1876 - 1961The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
William Edwin Hall served as the unpaid president of the Boys and Girls Clubs of America for nearly four decades. Sacrificing his time and personal assets, Hall kept the nascent organization solvent. Through his leadership, it grew to become one of . . . — Map (db m92228) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 15 — For the ChildrenTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
From 1927 until the late 1950s, the landscaped grounds across the street were the Hillcrest Children’s Center. It was founded downtown in 1814 as the Washington City Orphan Asylum by Marcia Burnes Van Ness and President Madison’s wife Dolley. The . . . — Map (db m80468) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — The World’s Largest Chair
Presented to Curtis Bros. for their outstanding leadership and service to the public by the Basset Furniture Industries. The chair made of solid Honduras mahogany is 19½ feet tall and weighs 4600 pounds. Designer: Leo M. . . . — Map (db m5459) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Ebenezer United Methodist Church400 D Street, SE — African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC
Ebenezer United Methodist Church is Capitol Hill’s oldest independent Black congregation. Ebenezer UMC was founded in 1827 by African Americans who left a biracial church on Capitol Hill because the White congregants practiced segregation. The . . . — Map (db m30053) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
700 Jackson Place has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America National Park Service 1974 From 1910 to 1948 it served as the first . . . — Map (db m32879) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — .3 — Clara Barton, Angel of the Battlefield at HomeCivil War to Civil Rights — Downtown Heritage Trail
“I have paid the rent of a room in Washington ... retaining it merely as a shelter to which I might return when my strength should fail me under exposure and labor at the field.” Clara Barton, December 1863. In November . . . — Map (db m36174) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy
When the historic character of Lafayette Square was severely threatened during her husband’s administration, it was preserved with the vision and dedicated efforts of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy. This view from Decatur House is dedicated to . . . — Map (db m32135) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — Missing Soldiers
Missing Soldiers. Office, 3rd Floor, Room 9 Miss Clara Barton Clara Barton is famous for her fierce determination and courage to save lives on the Civil War battlefields, and later for founding the American Red Cross. 1861-1865: . . . — Map (db m36172) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — Union Engine House
This was the site of the Union Engine House, which served as the headquarters of The Association of the Oldest Inhabitants of the District of Columbia from July 7, 1911 until July 4, 1956. The building was later dismantled to make room for the . . . — Map (db m87549) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Near Northeast — 3 — SwampoodleHub, Home, Heart — — Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail —
This is the western edge of what once was the rough, working-class Swampoodle neighborhood. In the early days the marshy Tiber Creek ran between what are now North Capitol and First Streets, NE. Legend has it that lingering rain puddles ("poodles") . . . — Map (db m71501) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Northeast — Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet
[Inscriptions on base of the memorial statue] west face: The deaf people of the United States in grateful remembrance of Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet mark the centennial of his birth with this memorial 1887 north . . . — Map (db m40386) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Northwest — Boy Scout Memorial
The two symbolic figures represent the sum of the great ideals of past civilizations, developed through the centuries and now at best is delivered by American manhood and womanhood to the present generation. The Boy Scout, aware of his . . . — Map (db m7970) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Northwest — Crown Princess Märtha of Norway
[Panel 1:] Crown Princess Märtha of Norway 1901 - 1954 Born in Stockholm, Sweden to Prince Charles of Sweden and Princess Ingeborg of Denmark Married to Crown Prince Olav of Norway in 1929 [Panel 2:] This . . . — Map (db m31756) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Northwest — General Federation of Women’s Clubs
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs is an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of other through volunteer service. Founded in 1890, it is one of the world’s largest and oldest nonpartisan, . . . — Map (db m32128) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Northwest — National Headquarters, American Red Cross
National Headquarters American Red Cross has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 23, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the . . . — Map (db m38864) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Northwest — The American Red Cross - Harvard Field Hospital Unit(September 1939 - July 1942)
This plaque acknowledges the public spirit of Harvard University and the dedication of the staff of the American Red Cross - Harvard Field Hospital Unit, who provided and staffed a pre-fabricated hospital sent to Salisbury, England, in the summer of . . . — Map (db m14997) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Petworth — The Former Engine Co 24 of the District of Columbia Fire Department
The facade of the original house for Engine Company 24 was located at 3702 Georgia Avenue, N.W. just north of this site. Built in 1911, the firehouse was designed by Luther Leisenring and Charles Gregg. It originally housed horses and horse-drawn . . . — Map (db m65515) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shaw — Morrison-Clark Inn — [former Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen’s Club]
1864 David L. Morrison was a developer who sold flour and feed to the U.S. government during the Civil War. Reuben B. Clark made land investments, owned a grocery store, and served as Washington, D.C.’s jail commissioner. 1917 M. Frank . . . — Map (db m32827) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Tenleytown — 13 — To the RescueTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
The brick building across the street opened in 1928 as the Convent of Bon Secours (literally, “good help”). The convent’s sisters had arrived in Baltimore from France in 1881. In Baltimore they quietly nursed both wealthy and needy . . . — Map (db m47783) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Washington — 2 of 14 — The True Reformer BuildingCity Within a City — Greater U Street Heritage Trail
The daily lives of residents of this historic African American community were woven together through hundreds of social and civic organizations--fraternal organizations, clubs, school alumni associations, civic associations and the like. The grand . . . — Map (db m12637) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Waldo — For All Who Served( Waldo, Florida)
(Left ) Police Officer Waldo When I start my tour of duty God, Wherever crime may be, As I walk the darkened Streets alone, let me be close to thee. Please give me understanding with both the young and old Let me listen . . . — Map (db m41877) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — Frascati
“Duelling Oaks” according to tradition. Later picnic grounds and site of chowder parties of the “Mullets” and the “Snappers”, in heated political rallies. Purchased by Pensacola Woman's Club, 1932 as . . . — Map (db m72250) HM
Florida (Gadsden County), Quincy — F-630 — Pat Munroe House
Mark Welch, "Mr. Pat Munroe" built the Pat Munroe House for his first wife, Edith Adelaide Walker, in 1893. The couple had 10 children before her death in 1896. Mr. Pat later married Mary Frances Gray in 1912. Eight children were born from this . . . — Map (db m79622) HM
Florida (Highlands County), Sebring — Dedicated to the Memory of Emil Billitz Sr.
Dedicated to the Memory of Emil Billitz Sr. and countless other C.C.C. enrollees who were injured, disabled or lost their lives in performance of their duty. We especially remember the 228 C.C.C. members who perished September 2, 1935 during a . . . — Map (db m72742) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Historic Fire Station No. 4
In 1897, the first city-owned fire station in Ybor City was established on this site, then the heart of the Italian section. It was a two- story frame building with a bell tower. Equipped with a hose - wagon and a hook and ladder truck, it also . . . — Map (db m8778) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Italian Club Life In Tampa
Tampa's Italians have supported a flourishing club life almost from their first arrival in the 1880's. L'Unione Italiana, the first mutual aid society, was organized in 1894. Initially located directly across the street, the club stood . . . — Map (db m8771) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Kate Jackson Recreation Center
Built on the Former Homsite Of Kate Veronica Jackson Born January 13, 1857 - Died December 11, 1940 Kate Jackson deeded this property to Sacred Heart Catholic Church which later sold it to the city. The recreation center was named for her . . . — Map (db m70378) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — L’Unione ItalianaThe Italian Club
Tampa's first Italian–American society was organized April 4, 1894. During its early years the club assisted members through cultural enrichment, providing education, health care and financial help to the families of deceased . . . — Map (db m8769) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — La Liga Patriotica De InstruccionEst. 1889 — (The Patriot League Instruction)
On this corner was located the famous night school which was established for the welfare of the Cuban emigres of the flourishing cigar center. Classes were conducted by Don Jose Guadalupe Rivero. To these compatriots who worked with tabacco . . . — Map (db m31709) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Mayor Nick C. NuccioA Man Of Character
Born in Tampa on October 24, 1901, the son of Sicilian immigrants, Vincenzo and Rosalia Nuccio. Mayor Nick C. Nuccio was born on Eighth Avenue, where he lived much of his life. He passionately believed in conducting his personal and professional . . . — Map (db m8911) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-596 — Old People's Home
Opened in 1924, The Old People's Home was the largest publicly supported home for the elderly in Tampa and represented a major civic achievement. An all-woman Board of Managers founded the Home and the original by-laws stated that men could serve . . . — Map (db m32115) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Pam Callahan Nature PreserveIn tribute to and in memory of Pamela A. Callahan 1947 - 1993
Pam loved all aspects of nature and had a special feeling for these wetlands. She spearheaded a community effort to prevent this site from becoming yet another dense development. She fought for almost 3 years and never gave up. Despite difficult . . . — Map (db m13647) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Salvation ArmyTampa Corps
Opened at this location 1893 by Captain Wilbur Hall and Lieutenant Fred Weller — Map (db m14942) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-599 — W.T. Edwards Hospital Complex
The W.T. Edwards Hospital, erected in 1952, was one of three tuberculosis (TB) hospitals built in Florida after World War II, and was funded by a state cigarette tax and federal monies. The other hospitals were in Tallahassee and Lantana. The . . . — Map (db m72356) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Ybor City's First Fire Station1888
The Mirta Hook and Ladder Volunteer Fire Station was established on this site. The station was named in honor of the youngest daughter of Don Vicente Martinez Ybor, founder of Ybor City. Capt. Frank Puglisi headed the fire fighters. Volunteer . . . — Map (db m31887) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Thonotosassa — John B. Sargeant, Sr.May 29, 1915 - March 6, 1989
John B. Sargeant is remembered as a "gentle" man who generously gave of his time so that future generations could enjoy the lands preserved here. A Polk County dairyman, he served twenty-seven years on the Hillsborough River Basin Board of the . . . — Map (db m13678) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Graceville — F-484 — When The Lights Came On
This structure is a symbol of progress and a testament to those determined rural residents who, thru electricity, helped bring this area into the 20th century. On May 30, 1936 President Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882-1945) signed into law the Rural . . . — Map (db m74210) HM
Florida (Levy County), Cedar Key — F-303 — John Muir at Cedar Key
John Muir, noted naturalist and conservation leader, spent several months in Florida in 1867. He arrived at Cedar Key in October, seven weeks after setting out from Indiana on a "thousand-mile walk to the Gulf." Muir's journal account of his . . . — Map (db m17705) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-296 — First Baptist Church 1898 Sanctuary
This structure represents an adaptation of the Queen Anne style of architecture to local ecclesiastical needs and traditional building materials. Both the stimulus for constructing a new sanctuary and the idea for its basic design are attributed to . . . — Map (db m17726) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — Wardlaw-Smith-Goza Conference Center
The Wardlaw-Smith House was acquired by Mr. and Mrs. William M. Goza in January, 1978 in a state of disrepair. It was meticulously restored and landscaped by them under the supervision of Dawson Rutherford, Master Contractor. Mr. and Mrs. Goza . . . — Map (db m17750) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Carnegie Library
(Side 1) This Carnegie Library was built in 1918 with funds from the Carnegie Corporation. It is one of the 1,946 Carnegie Libraries built in the United States under the direction of Andrew Carnegie, a Scottish immigrant who rose from . . . — Map (db m81714) HM
Florida (Marion County), Ocala — Brick City Feverby artist Cliff Fink
On Thanksgiving Day, November 29th, 1883 fire broke out in Ocala. All of the buildings on the east side of today’s SE 1st Avenue from Silver Springs Boulevard to Fort King Street were destroyed. Five blocks of the business district were left in . . . — Map (db m72921) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — F-612 — Troop 7 Log Cabin
When George Edgar Merrick (1886-1942) designed his idealistic City of Coral Gables in the early 1920s, he created a special area for scouts and built a rustic log cabin for his Troop 7 boy scouts on this site. Today, only the chimney remains. After . . . — Map (db m74784) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Florida City — F-739 — Operation Pedro PanOperación Pedro Pan
On this site, which was officially known as the Florida City Shelter of the Catholic Welfare Bureau’s Children’s Program, thousands of Operation Pedro Pan children found refuge from Communist Cuba between 1961 and 1966. Operation Pedro Pan was . . . — Map (db m71917) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Housekeepers Club
On Thursday afternoon, February 19, 1891, Flora McFarlane and five other pioneer women of Dade County founded the Housekeepers Club, the first organized women's club in South Florida. The purpose was to bring the housekeepers of the area together . . . — Map (db m75192) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Saving the Circle
The Miami Circle site would not exist today if it were not for the support of the community. Public outcry over the impending destruction of the Miami Circle led to additional archaeological research and preservation of the 2.2 acre parcel of . . . — Map (db m65471) HM
Florida (Monroe), Key West — F-814 — Key West Woman's ClubMartin Hellings House
The Martin Hellings House, constructed c. 1892 by Captain Martin L. Hellings, is one of only a few historic houses in Key West not built of wood. Hellings was a native of Pennsylvania and a Union soldier in the Civil War. In 1881, Hellings married . . . — Map (db m84718) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — Audubon House
Captain John H. Geiger, skilled pilot and master wrecker, built this house in 1830. It is typical of the era when, in 1832, the famed naturalist, John James Audubon, visited Key West to study and sketch the birds of the Florida Keys. On March 18, . . . — Map (db m81832) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — Fort Clinch
Fort Clinch Reconstruction And construction of roads Buildings and grounds Was performed by Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1420 1937-1942 — Map (db m33457) HM
Florida (Orange County), Apopka — Dr. Howard A. Kelly Park
To the memory of Dr. Howard Atwood Kelly of Baltimore, Maryland, one of the founders of Johns Hopkins Hospital and medical school. He was a great surgeon, teacher and medical authority, and above all, a Christian gentleman. Dr. Kelly, in 1927 . . . — Map (db m66834) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-475 — Carver Court Public Housing Complex
Built in 1945 for $468,700, Carver Court was a public housing development set up by the Orlando Housing Authority in an effort to stimulate the economy, resolve growing slum and housing problems, and meet local demands associated with the massive . . . — Map (db m72407) HM

1967 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers were listed. Next 1717
Paid Advertisement