|Alabama (Lawrence County), Courtland — The Red Rovers / Red Rovers Roster|
| Side A Volunteer military company organized at Courtland 1835 to aid Texas in struggle for independence. Commanded by Dr. Jack Shackelford, local physician, company derived its name from color of home spun uniforms, made by citizens of Courtland. In first battle Rovers were assigned to regiment cut off, captured at Coleta, March 20, 1836. Surrendered on promise of return to U. S. On March 27, company and others, 365 men, executed at Goliad by order of Gen. Santa Anna. Shackelford and . . . — Map (db m29054) HM|
|Georgia (Crawford County), Knoxville — 039-1 — Crawford County|
|This County created by Acts of the Legislature Dec. 9 & 23, 1822, is named for William H. Crawford, Georgia statesman who was Secretary of the Treasury at the time the County was established. At the County Site, Knoxville, lived Joanna E. Troutman (Mrs. Vinson) who is credited with designing the Lone Star Flag of the Republic of Texas. When a company of Macon Volunteers under Col. William A. Ward marched through on the way to Texas Miss Troutman presented them with a white silk flag bearing a . . . — Map (db m21435) HM|
|Georgia (Crawford County), Knoxville — Joanna Troutman|
|On this site in 1835 Joanna Troutman gave to a company of Georgia soldiers on their way to fight for the independence of Texas, a “Lone Star” flag, which she had made and which was later adopted as the Texas emblem. — Map (db m28024) HM|
|Georgia (Jones County), Clinton — 084-6 — Gen. Iverson’s Birthplace — >>>------>|
|Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson, C.S.A., son of Senator Alfred Iverson, also a Brig. Gen., and Caroline Goode Holt, was born here Feb. 14, 1829. He served with the U. S. Cavalry in the Mexican War and Mormon campaign and fought the Comanches and Kiowas. Resigning his lieutenancy in 1861 he joined the Confederate Army rising to the rank of Brigadier General in Nov. 1862. He was wounded in the Seven Days Battles and fought at South Mountain, Sharpsburg, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. Commanding a . . . — Map (db m24994) HM|
|Georgia (Lumpkin County), Dahlonega — 093-8 — Dahlonega Mustering Grounds|
|During the War Between the States nine companies were organized on this site; five were mustered here in 1861, two in 1862 and two in 1864. Men from other north Georgia counties came to Dahlonega to be mustered here in the companies of Lumpkin County. Most of these were from White, Dawson and Floyd Counties. The old mustering grounds were the rallying point for troops in the periods of national and state crises. Lumpkin County men met here to join Texans fighting for independence in 1836, to . . . — Map (db m21035) HM|
|Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Lieutenant Joseph Bonnell — a Hero of the War for Texas Independence|
On April 7, 1836, Lieutenant Joseph Bonnell, West Point Class of 1825, 3rd Infantry Regiment, U.S. Army, Fort Jesup, Louisiana, was sent alone into Texas by U.S. General Gaines to quell an uprising of 1,700 hostile Indians which threatened the small Texas Army of General Sam Houston. Lieutenant Bonnell completed this dangerous mission by successfully negotiating with Caddo Chief Cortes to have the warriors return to their villages and live in peace. Bonnell’s success greatly assisted . . . — Map (db m40778) HM|
|Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E16 — Where Houston Enlisted|
|Here, where Blount County's first courthouse stood, Sam Houston "took a dollar from the drum", thus marking his first enlistment in the United States Army, March 24, 1813. This culminated in his command of the Army of Texas, which decisively defeated the Mexicans at San Jacinto in 1836. — Map (db m28579) HM|
|Tennessee (Gibson County), Trenton — David Crockett|
|Pioneer — Statesman — Hero
Born August 17, 1786 • Died March 6, 1836
Served three terms in the Congress of the
United States while a resident of this county.
Emigrated to Texas in 1835, and was killed
at the Alamo fighting for the independence
“BE SURE YOU'RE RIGHT, THEN GO AHEAD.” — Map (db m55211) HM|
|Tennessee (Lawrence County), Lawrenceburg — Col. David Crockett|
Erected by gift of
the people and
the Legislature of Tennessee,
to the memory of
Col. David Crockett.
Born in East Tennessee
Aug. 17th, 1786.
And gave his life for
Texas liberty amid
the smoking walls
of the “Alamo”
March 9th, 1836.
Justice of the Peace for Lawrence County 1818.
Member of the first Commission of Lawrenceburg, 1815.
Represented Lawrence and Hickman Counties in the State . . . — Map (db m82214) HM|
|Tennessee (Loudon County), Greenback — 1 E 108 — Sam Houston American Giant Homesite|
|In 1807, Sam Houston arrived at this 419-acre site with his widowed mother and eight brothers and sisters. The homesite was located just above the spring on the hill. Sam Houston served as general, President of Texas, Governor of Tennessee and Texas, and as U.S. Senator and Congressman. His victory at San Jacinto eventually led to the United States doubling its land area. — Map (db m58842) HM|
|Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 167 — Andrews County|
|Created August 21, 1876
Organized May 11, 1910
killed at the Battle of
Concepcion, October 28, 1835
the first man to fall
in the Texas Revolution
County seat, Andrews — Map (db m61419) HM|
|Texas (Aransas County), Lamar — 1547 — John Fagan|
Soldier in the Texas
War for Independence
at Goliad, 1835-1836 — Map (db m53825) HM|
|Texas (Atascosa County), Poteet — 4819 — Site of Jose Antonio Navarro Ranch Headquarters — (2.3 Mi. SSE)|
|This land had once been allocated in the 1700s as a ranch for Mission San Jose in San Antonio (20 mi. N), but in the 1820s was left unsettled. In 1828 prominent San Antonio resident Jose Antonio Navarro (1795-1871) beseeched the Governor of the Mexican state to grant him four leagues of land for pasture. Navarro officially received his grant for this land on the Atascosa River in 1831, though he might have occupied the ranch earlier.
In 1836, Navarro signed the Texas Declaration of . . . — Map (db m56598) HM|
|Texas (Austin County), Industry — Charles Fordtran — May 7, 1801-Nov. 1, 1900|
|In Jan. 1831 Charles Fordtran, a German of Huguenot descent, joined the colony of Stephen F. Austin. His first work was to survey land for Austin's partner, Samuel May Williams. He was given a league (4,428.4 acres) as his fee. Soon he brought in two families of settlers who worked for him for a time, then obtained their own land in present Fayette county.
On July 4, 1834, he married Almeida Brookfield (1817-1887), daughter of a noted Indian-fighting family. Fordtran also fought Indians who . . . — Map (db m30780) HM|
|Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 5514 — A Town Hall|
| . . . — Map (db m43759) HM|
|Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 11707 — Early Roads To San Felipe|
|During the mid-1820's, When Stephen F. Austin was founding this town, the only roads in the area were wagon ruts or beaten trails marked by notched trees. Within a decade, however, the village of San Felipe, one of the first Anglo settlements in Texas, had become a hub from which 8 or more roads projected.
Many of these were small, intra-colony routes, but the main trails extended to major towns of joined “highways”, such as the San Antonio Road (El Camino Real). A main route . . . — Map (db m43718) HM|
|Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 2678 — J.J. Josey General Store|
|Built by John Crutcher in 1847 on the Plaza de Commercio in San Felipe, this was the last store built in the town after its 1836 burning by military order. Purchased in 1867 by Dr. J.J. Josey, it was in continuous operation as a store until 1942. The building has been relocated a number of times. Josey, in 1880, moved the store one mile east to a new location on the Texas Western Narrow Gauge Railroad. In 1962 the structure was returned to its original site and restored for use as a museum. It . . . — Map (db m43760) HM|
|Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — John Bricker|
|In memory of
a private in Captain Mosley Baker’s
company, who was killed just
across the river from this site
April 7th 1836 by a shot from a
Mexican cannon, and was buried
where he fell. He was born in
Cumberland County, Penn.
January 30th 1791
This tablet was erected
by his kinsmen
April 7th 1935 — Map (db m43758) HM|
|Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 249 — Stephen F. Austin's Cabin|
Stephen F. Austin's Cabin
This structure is a replica of the only Texas home of Stephen F. Austin, “Father of Texas.” The chimney contains bricks from original (1828) cabin. Other materials were made as authentically as possible.
Austin (1793-1836) opened the Anglo-American colonization of Texas. His cabin, located in capital city of San Felipe, welcomed pioneers and statesmen of era; witnessed many crucial events leading to Texas Revolution. — Map (db m43761) HM|
|Texas (Austin County), Wallis — 6344 — Martin Allen — (November 28, 1780 - December 30, 1837)|
|As a young man Martin Allen assisted his father, Benjamin, in surveying roads in their native state of Kentucky. He married Elizabeth Vice in 1804 and by 1810 they and their three children were living in Louisiana.
Martin joined the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition's bid to rid Texas of Spanish rule in 1812-1813. His father and nephew were killed at the decisive Battle of Medina. Martin, on a recruiting mission at the time, survived.
After a brief stay in Arkansas territory, the Allens . . . — Map (db m61299) HM|
|Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9151 — Early History of the City of Bastrop|
|Long before white men arrived, this region was inhabited by Tonkawa and Comanche Indians. In 1691 the first Spanish explorers crossed this territory en route to east Texas. From their route, parts of “El Camino Real” (the King's Highway) were blazed, thus placing Bastrop on a major early travel artery.
Because El Camino Real crossed the Colorado River here, this was a strategic spot. In 1805 the Fort “Puesta del Colorado” and accompanying community were founded here . . . — Map (db m76149) HM|
|Texas (Bee County), Beeville — 3315 — Medio Creek — Significant natural landmark|
|Named by the Spaniards about 1800 because of its midway position between the San Antonio and Nueces Rivers. Rises in Karnes County; empties into Mission River. Crossed by explorers, padres, soldiers, settlers who traveled on three early ox-cart roads that led from Mexico to Mission La Bahia at Goliad.
The Cart War of 1857, between Texas and Mexican teamsters on the freight route between San Antonio and Gulf ports, originated along San Patricio Road, southernmost of the three roads. The . . . — Map (db m32271) HM|
|Texas (Bell County), Belton — 5859 — Wilson Van Dyke — (Dec 25, 1817 - Aug. 3, 1881)|
|A native of South Carolina, Wilson Van Dyke served as a member of the Somervell Expedition, which was organized in 1842 to expel the Mexican Army from Texas. Under command of Col. W.S. Fisher, he crossed the Rio Grande and was captured. A survivor of the "Black Bean Episode", Van Dyke was imprisoned near Mexico City until Sept. 1844. He later participated in muster activities during the Civil War and died at his home in Bell County. — Map (db m29382) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 141st Infantry Regiment — "Remember the Alamo" — Oldest Militia Unit in Texas|
| Texas Revolution - 1836
Spanish-American War - 1898
Cuban Occupation - 1898
Mexican Border Serivce - 1916
World War I - 1918
World War II 1940-1945
Naples-Foggia • Anzio
Rome-Arno • Southern France
Ardennes • Alsace
Rhineland • Central Europe
To the men who died at the Alamo:
All Texans acclaim both in song and in story
The days of your youth - the days of your glory.
May they also remember, wherever they go,
The men left behind at some far Alamo. . . . — Map (db m32656) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Alamo Funeral Pyre|
|On this spot bodies of heroes slain at the Alamo were burned on a funeral pyre. Fragments of the bodies were afterward buried here. This tablet is the gift of relatives of Green B. Jemision and of other friends.
The De Zavala Chapter of the Texas Landmarks Association placed this marble marker on the M. Halff Building in 1917, which stood near here at the corner of East Commerce and Rusk Streets, to commemorate the location of one of the funeral pyres of the Heroes . . . — Map (db m30589) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Alamo Low Barracks and Main Gateway|
| Mission San Antonio de Valero, established nearby in 1718, was relocated here in 1724. By 1762, the mission plaza was enclosed by thick stone and adobe walls. The 11x14-foot main gateway was located at this site along the south wall. In 1803 Spanish cavalry from San Carlos de Parras del Alamo, Mexico, occupied the secularized mission and built one-story (low) barracks inside the south wall on each side of the main gateway. The Alamo, as the complex came to be known, was occupied in 1835 by . . . — Map (db m30713) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Bexar County Under Nine Governments|
|The administrative government of Bexar County, besides being the oldest in Texas, is distinguished by having served under nine governments. The community served under Spanish rule from May, 1718, until January, 1811, when it was taken over by the revolutionary Casas regime. Only five weeks later, the counter-revolutionary Junta of Bexar overthrew the Casas government and eventually restored Spanish rule. In April, 1812, however, the Republican Army of the North deposed the provincial . . . — Map (db m53972) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Clara Driscoll — April 2, 1881 - July 17, 1945|
| A descendant of early Texas colonists, including a veteran of San Jacinto, Clara Driscol was born in Refugio County and grew up as a wealthy rancher's daughter. In 1903, soon after returning from school in Europe, she learned that the Long Barrack, part of the historic Alamo, was about to be sold as a hotel site. When the state failed to act, she bought the property. Using her own funds to supplement money raised by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. Her gesture sparked public interest . . . — Map (db m30130) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Clara Driscoll — Lest We Forget|
Title to the Alamo Mission property,
acquired through her efforts and
her personal fortune, was conveyed by
to the State of Texas, Sept. 5th 1905:
“That the sacred shrine be saved from the
encroachments of commercialism
and stand through eternity a monument
incomparable to the immortal heroes
who died that Texas might not perish.”
March 2nd, 1927
— Map (db m30734) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Founding of the Mission and the Origin of Name|
|The San Antonio de Padua Mission was founded in San Antonio in 1716 by the Franciscan Father, Antonio Olivares, and after merging with the San Francisco Solano Mission in 1718, it was officially founded as the San Antonio de Valero Mission. The present site was selected in 1724. It was named in honor of Saint Anthony de Padua and the Duke of Valero, a Spanish Viceroy. The cornerstone of this chapel was laid May 8, 1744. Founded for the purpose of Christianizing and educating the Indians, it . . . — Map (db m9228) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Gonzales Men at the Alamo|
Erected in grateful recognition of
the supreme act of heroism of the
thirty two men from Gonzales
who gave their lives in the Alamo
in response to the appeal of Travis.
Erected March 1, 1936 — Map (db m30777) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Heroes of the Alamo|
|This oak tree planted in the spring of 1965 in memory of the Heroes of the Alamo. Presented by the First Officers' Training Camp Association of Texas, Leon Springs, Texas, May 8...August 15, 1917. Roster of First Campers filed in Alamo Library. — Map (db m30599) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Japanese Monument to The Heroes of the Alamo|
To the Memory of
The Heroes of the Alamo
[Poem in Chinese follows]
The story of the Alamo reaches far beyond the borders of Texas. More than 2.6 million visitors from around the world came to the Alamo in 1996. The DRT provides written information on the site in several different languages, including Spanish, German, French, Japanese, and Italian. This granite monument attests to the Alamo's fame and popularity.
Shigetaka Shiga, a Japanese geography . . . — Map (db m30779) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Letter From The Alamo|
Commandancy of the Alamo,
Bexar, Feby. 24th, 1836-
To the people of Texas & all Americans in the world--
Fellow citizens and compatriots
I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans and Santa Anna - I have sustained a continual bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man - the enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken-I have answered the demand with cannon shot, & our flag . . . — Map (db m78329) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Main Plaza Fortifications|
| During the Main Plaza renovation in 2007, archaeologists discovered remnants of a military fortification underneath this street. This entrenchment would have been part of San Antonio's defense against attacks during the turbulent revolutionary period of the early nineteenth century.
Between 1835 and 1842, the City of San Antonio was the site of five major battles between Texian, Tejano, and Mexican forces, including the Siege and Storming of Bexar (1835) and the Battle of the Alamo (1836). . . . — Map (db m30214) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Masonic Heroes of the Alamo|
Honoring these Masons
William Barret Travis
and those unidentified Masons
who gave their lives in the
Battle of the Alamo, March 6, 1836.
Erected March 6, 1976 — Map (db m30821) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Remains of the Alamo Heroes|
The remains of the Alamo Heroes
are entombed in the chapel at the
left-hand side of the entrance to
Visitors Welcome — Map (db m30343) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Samuel Augustus Maverick — Site of Home (1850 to 1870)|
|A native of South Carolina; came to San Antonio in 1835; was guide for Ben Mailam and other leaders in first attack on San Antonio by Texas Army, Dec. 1835. As Bexar Delegate, Maverick signed Texas declaration of Independence at Washington-on-Brazos, 1836.
With Capt. Jack Hays' "Minute Men," he helped make San Antonio safe from Comanche Indian attacks; also joined Hays' expedition which opened California road and claimed Rio Grande as Texas' western boundary. Twice Mayor of San Antonio; . . . — Map (db m30608) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Soldiers of the War of 1812 Who Fought for Texas|
This tree dedicated in honor of
the soldiers of the War of 1812
who fought for Texas liberty
March 16, 1935 — Map (db m30735) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Tennessee Volunteers at the Alamo|
In commemoration of the
150th Anniversary of Texas Independence
and in honor of the
who gave their lives at the Alamo
on March 6, 1836
the Citizens of Tennessee
present this Tennessee Homecoming Tree and Plaque
to the Citizens of Texas
as a symbol of the friendship between
Governor of Tennessee
March 6, 1986 — Map (db m30775) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — The Alamo — A Story Bigger Than Texas — (Long Barrack)|
| This is the Long Barrack, the oldest building in San Antonio. It was built in 1724 as a convento or residence for priests and was originally part of the Mission San Antonio de Valero, now known as the Alamo. Since then it has been used as a Spanish army barrack and hospital, a fortress, a United States Army quartermaster depot, a general store, and, since 1905, a shrine and museum maintained by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. The Long Barrack and the church next door are the . . . — Map (db m30743) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — The Alamo / El Alamo|
Mission San Antonio de Valero - famed as The Alamo - founded 1718 by Spanish Missionaries. Secularized 1793. Garrison for Spanish Cavalry and Flying Company of San Carlos de Parras y Alamo. Between February 23 and March 6, 1836, gallant Texans, greatly outnumbered by General Santa Anna's Army defended the sprawling compound to the death. The Battle of The Alamo stands as a symbol of freedom throughout the world. The Alamo Chapel and convent, later the Long . . . — Map (db m78330) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 95 — The Alamo Cenotaph — "The Spirit of Sacrifice"|
In memory of the heroes who sacrified
their lives at the Alamo, March 6, 1836,
in the defense of Texas.
“They chose never to surrender nor retreat.
These brave hearts, with flag still
proudly waving, perished in the flames
of immortality that their high sacrifice
might lead to the founding of this Texas.”
Erected by the State of Texas 1936
with funds appropriated by
the federal government
to commemorate one hundred years of
Texas indepedence . . . — Map (db m30709) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — The Alamo in 1836|
| Corrals for cattle and horses occupied this space during the famous 1836 Siege and Battle of the Alamo. Small fortifications provided cover for the Texans during the siege. The structures shown in the illustration are (left to right) the church, the Long Barrack, corrals, and a reinforced artillery emplacement. The town of San Antonio de Valero can be seen in the background, just west of the San Antonio River. The flag of “no quarter” flies over San Fernando Church.
February . . . — Map (db m30714) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — The Alamo in 1836|
| The church of former Mission San Antonio de Valero had been converted into a powder magazine and artillery platorm by the Mexican Army in the autumn of 1835 during the Siege of Béxar. Following the capture of the town in early December 1835, Texan forces improved the fortifications. Once the Siege of the Alamo began on February 23, 1836, Texans continously manned artillery pieces mounted along the rear wall of the church. The structures shown in the illustration are (left to right) the Low . . . — Map (db m30736) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — The Alamo in 1836|
| The fortress known to history as “The Alamo” was originally built by the Spanish in the 18th Century. Named Mission San Antonio de Valero by Franciscan officials, the mission occupied this site from 1724 until it was closed in 1793. The mission compound encompassed modern Alamo Plaza. The church was never completed and lacked a roof at the time of the famous 1836 siege and battle. Today this building is recognized world-wide as the Shrine of Texas Liberty. The structures shown in . . . — Map (db m30824) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — The Alamo in 1836|
| One of the weakest points of the fortified former mission was an open space between the old church and the Low Barrack. During the Siege of Béxar, Mexican troops constructed a palisade, or double log-wall, to close the exposed area. The Texans strengthened existing fortifications upon taking possession of the Alamo following the defeat of General Martin Perfecto de Cos' forces in early December 1835. The structures shown in the foreground of the illustration are (left to right) the Low . . . — Map (db m30857) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — The Casas Reales|
|On site chosen July 2, 1731, for "government houses" by people of San Fernando de Bexar, including newly-arrived settlers from the Canary Islands. Structure, erected 1742, had to be rebuilt in 1779 by Don Jose Antonio Curbelo, alcalde of the Villa San Fernando de Bexar. A jail was erected to the south in 1783.
From commanding position of Casas Reales on Main Plaza were read official proclamations, to the roll of drums. A noted visitor in 1807 was Lt. Zebulon M. Pike, freed after arrest on . . . — Map (db m20332) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — The Storming of Bexar — Vicinity of — (December 5-9, 1835)|
| First of four major engagements of the War for Texas Independence, this sanguinary battle ended a siege of six weeks. The assault began at dawn, Dec. 5. 300 volunteers (Texans, Mexicans, and Americans) under Cols. Frank W. Johnson and Benjamin R. Milam attacked 1,200 Mexican troops commanded by Gen. Martin P. de Cos defending San Antonio, then known as Bexar.
Two columns advanced into the strongley fortified town along Acequia (now Main) and Soledad Streets guided by townsmen John W. Smith . . . — Map (db m30211) HM|
|Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Twin Cypress Mexican Sniper Tree|
|An old legend describes this twin cypress as a lookout of a Mexican sniper who picked off the Texans as they came to the river for water. — Map (db m30553) HM|
|Texas (Brazoria County), East Columbia — 9601 — Sweeny-Waddy Log Cabin|
|John Sweeny, Sr. (d. 1855) moved his family from Tennessee to Brazoria county, Texas, about 1833. With the help of slaves, he cleared his land and established a large plantation. This log cabin, originally located about 9 miles southwest of this site, was built soon after Sweeny's arrival and housed the slave family that included Mark and Larkin Waddy. The Waddys continued to live in the cabin after they were freed at the end of the Civil War.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1983 — Map (db m49709) HM|
|Texas (Brazoria County), East Columbia — 9612 — The Ammon Underwood House|
|A structure erected in noted old river port town of Marion in Republic of Texas era. First portion, of hand-hewn cedar, was built about 1835 by colonist Thomas W. Nibbs. Merchant-civic leader-soldier Ammon Underwood (1810-87) bought and enlarged house in 1838-39. In 1839 he married Rachel Jane, daughter of William and Catherine Carson, of Austin's original colony. President Anson Jones and other famous Texans often visited the Underwoods.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1970 . . . — Map (db m49707) HM|
|Texas (Brazoria County), Jones Creek — Major Guy M. Bryan, C.S.A. — 1821-1901|
|Born in Missouri. Rode a mule to Texas in 1831 to join his uncle, Stephen F. Austin, Father of Texas. A private in Texas War for Independence. Legislator, congressman, member of Texas Secession Convention. Enlisted as a private in the Civil War, but his administrative ability, diplomacy and political understanding soon cast him in the role of troubleshooter and liaison man between state and Confederate governments and the military. Convinced C. S. A. leaders of need to leave enough troops in . . . — Map (db m53084) HM|
|Texas (Brazoria County), Surfside — 9605 — Velasco|
|Here was fought a battle-- the first collision in arms between Texas colonists and the Mexican military-- a conflict preliminary to the Texas War for Independence. On June 26, 1832, when Texans under John Austin and Henry Smith came down river with cannon for use against Mexican forces at Anahuac, they ran against the resistance of Lt. Col. Domingo de Ugartechea. As commander of Mexican forces at Velasco, Ugartechea refused passage through the mouth of the Brazos River to the vessel bearing . . . — Map (db m10332) HM|
|Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 9547 — Columbia|
|In September 1836 Columbia, now known as West Columbia, became capital of the Republic of Texas. This took place with the removal of the ad interim government here from Velasco. After the election called by ad interim President David G. Burnet, the first permanent government of the Republic went into operation here in Columbia in October.
Inaugurated were President Sam Houston and Vice-President Mirabeau B. Lamar. Under their leadership the first duly elected congress convened and the . . . — Map (db m49703) HM|
|Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — Columbia - First Capital of The Republic of Texas|
|In 1836 and 1837, the town of Columbia (Now West Columbia) served as the capital of the Republic of Texas. Josiah Hughes Bell, a colonist with Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred, surveyed and platted Columbia in 1824 to serve as a center for shipping activities. In the mid-1830s, Columbia played an important part in the Texas War for Independence, as residents adopted resolutions for sovereignty.|
In July 1836, Ad Interim President of the Republic of Texas, David G. Burnet, named . . . — Map (db m41707) HM
|Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 9575 — Home of George B. McKinstry — 1802 - 1837|
|A member of Austin's colony, 1829. Soldier in the Battle of Velasco; delegate to the General Convention, 1832; chief justice of Brazoria County, 1836. In this home, built about 1830, Stephen F. Austin died, December 27, 1836 — Map (db m78618) HM|
|Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — Old Columbia Cemetery|
|Site given by Josiah H. Bell family out of their grant, the first deeded to one of "Old 300" in colony of Stephen F. Austin. Has graves of many heroes of Texas Revolution of 1836.
Deeded in 1852 to Bethel Presbyterian Church. Since 1933 managed by Columbia Cemetery Association. — Map (db m46452) HM|
|Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — The First Capitol of the Republic of Texas|
| Near site of The First Capitol of the Republic of Texas
About 1833 Leman Kelsy built a story-and-a-half clapboard structure near this location. When Columbia became capital of the Republic of Texas in 1836, the building was one of two which housed the newly formed government. The First Republic of Texas Congress convened in Columbia. Here Sam Houston took office as President and Stephen F. Austin as Secretary of State. In 1837 the government moved to Houston. The 1900 storm destroyed . . . — Map (db m43057) HM|
|Texas (Burleson County), Caldwell — 7569 — Early Settlers of Burleson County in the Texas War for Independence|
|When Mexican Dictator Santa Anna revoked national rights, 30 or more men from this sparsely settled area left to resist his armies in Grass Fight (Nov. 26, 1835), Siege of Bexar (Dec. 5-9) and other actions. While able men were absent, the foe came within 40 miles of here, pillaging the country. Civilians fled over the swollen Brazos, toward safety in the United States. Their men on April 21, 1836, helped win Battle of San Jacinto and Independence. Some were in Regular Infantry Company A; . . . — Map (db m74303) HM|
|Texas (Cameron County), Port Isabel — Port of Matamoros|
|The Port of Matamoros was established in 1824. Commercial cargo, shipped mainly from New Orleans and other U.S. ports, was unloaded at the Port and transported overland to Matamoros, Reynosa, Camargo, Monterrey, and Mier. Mexico maintained a garrison and at least one Navy vessel at the Port. This area was the site of numerous Naval encounters between the U.S. and Mexico in 1836-37, during and after the Texas Revolution. Jurisdiction over the Port was finally settled in 1846 when forces of U.S. . . . — Map (db m16542) HM|
|Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9136 — Turtle Bayou Resolutions|
|Near site of the signing of
Turtle Bayou Resolutions
Drafted and signed at Turtle Bayou on June 13, 1832; this first formal protest of Texas colonists against Mexican tyranny formed an early step in events that led eventually to the Texas Revolution of 1836.
The settlers were protesting recent restrictive laws of Mexico designed to limit immigration and trade between the United States and Texas, passed because Mexico feared losing Texas to the U.S.
In particular, citizens . . . — Map (db m60341) HM|
|Texas (Cherokee County), Jacksonville — 6636 — Old Neches Saline Road — (Crosses Highway 175 Here)|
|Originally an Indian trail. Used in 1765 by the Spanish priest Calahorra on an Indian peace mission. Gained importance, 1820s, for use in hauling salt from Neches Saline to Nacogdoches.
Survivors of the Killough family massacre of 1838 fled via the road to Fort Lacy. The Texas Army used it en route to fight Mexican rebel Cordova in 1838 and in Cherokee War, 1839.
Some of Kentucky volunteers went this way to the Mexican War, 1846. After Indian wars, road brought in many settlers. . . . — Map (db m81748) HM|
|Texas (Cherokee County), Wells — 11806 — Mt. Hope Cemetery — (2 miles Southeast)|
|Joseph H. Bowman, a veteran of the Texas War for Independence from Mexico, offered one hundred acres of land to the Rev. W.D. Lewis to come to Mt. Hope community and establish a Methodist church and cemetery. The Rev. Mr. Lewis agreed and the congregation began in 1875. In November of that year Margaret (Ruby) Hicks was the first person to be buried in the adjacent cemetery. Though the church was moved to nearby Wells after the railroad came through in 1886, the cemetery continued to be a place . . . — Map (db m28138) HM|
|Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 347 — Beason's (Beeson's) Crossing|
|Benjamin Beason, one of Stephen F. Austin's original 300 colonists, settled by a widely used Colorado River crossing near here in 1822. He and his wife Elizabeth proceeded to build a large home (also used as an inn) and established a gristmill, sawmill, gin,and ferry operation at the crossing. His residence and business operations and a scattering of homesteads in the area formed a settlement known as Beason's Crossing.
In the early spring of 1836 Beason found his home, family, and complex . . . — Map (db m29691) HM|
|Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 368 — Benjamin Beason's Crossing — of the Colorado River|
|Site of the camp,
March 19-26, 1836
of the Texas Army
under General Sam Houston,
who directed the retreat
from Gonzales to the San Jacinto — Map (db m76821) HM|
|Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 4923 — Site of the Camp of Gen. Joaquin Ramirez y Sesma|
|Site of the Camp, March 20-26, 1836, of one division of General Santa Anna's Army under the command of General Joaquin Ramirez y Sesma. It crossed the Colorado at Atascosita Ford, eight miles below Columbus. — Map (db m29707) HM|
|Texas (Colorado County), Weimar — 3881 — Old Osage|
|Site of 1820 trading post of Jesse Burnam. His ferry on the Colorado River helped Gen. Sam Houston reach San Jacinto, 1836. To cut off Santa Anna, Houston then burned post and ferry.
Town started in 1850s was named for Osage Orange trees.
In 1861, Civil War recruiting center. Furnished most of Co. A, 5th Texas Cav., Green's Brigade.
This park, on land deeded by Edward Austin for school and churches, includes cemetery and graves of many Civil War veterans. Was also burial site, . . . — Map (db m61298) HM|
|Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6730 — Greenwood Cemetery|
|Greenwood Cemetery was part of a Republic of Texas grant, called the John Grigsby League, given for service in the Battle of San Jacinto. W. H. Gaston, pioneer Dallas banker, acquired title to the site in 1874, after the noted local legal battle, “The Grigsby Cases,” and founded Trinity Cemetery. Greenwood Cemetery Association assumed operation in 1896. Many people prominent in the histories of the city, state and nation rest here, in addition to casualties and veterans of every . . . — Map (db m72412) HM|
|Texas (Fayette County), Ellinger — James J. Ross|
|Born in South Carolina in about 1787, James
Jeffres Ross was a member of the ""Old Three
Hundred."" He arrived in Stephen F. Austin's colony
in late 1822 or early 1823, moving onto the league
granted him near Eagle Lake in Colorado County. In
1828 he moved to the S. A. Anderson League and built
a home about one mile southwest of this site.
Col. Ross, as he was known, soon assumed a
position of leadership as captain of the militia of
the Colorado District. He . . . — Map (db m22753) HM|
|Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 12756 — Monument Hill Tomb|
|In September 1848, the remains of Texans killed in the 1842 Dawson Massacre and the 1843 “Black Bean Death Lottery” were reburied at this site in a sandstone vault. The Kreische family did its best to care for the grave during their ownership of the property, but it suffered from lack of formal oversight. In 1905, the state authorized acquisition of .36 acres here, and the Daughters of the Republic of Texas raised funds for a new cover for the tomb in 1933. During the 1936 Texas . . . — Map (db m53218) HM|
|Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 575 — Site of Burnam's Ferry|
First ferry in present-day Fayette County. Established about 1824 at the crossing of the La Bahia Road by Jesse Burnam. After the Army of the Republic of Texas crossed on March 19, 1836, the ferry was destroyed by order of General Sam Houston to prevent its use by the advancing Mexican Army.
Located 1½ miles northeast on the Colorado River established about 1824 by Jesse Burnam at the crossing of the La Bahia Road to . . . — Map (db m53220) HM|
|Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 1184/2495 — The Dawson Expedition / Historic Oak Tree|
The Dawson Expedition
Under this historic oak on September 15, 1842, Capt. Nicholas Mosby Dawson organized his company of Fayette County mounted volunteers, who rushed to reinforce Col. Matthew Caldwell, after San Antonio was captured by Gen. Adrian Woll.
On Sept. 18 upon approaching Salado Creek near San Antonio, Dawson found a battle already in progress. His men were surrounded beyond rifle range by Mexican cavalry who opened with cannon fire, and soon half were killed or . . . — Map (db m53231) HM|
|Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — The Dawson Memorial|
by the State of Texas
memory of her defenders
Captain N. H. Dawson
and his command.
Who fell at the battle of Salado Texas
Sept. 18th, 1842.
Nicholas Mosby Dawson
and 36 other volunteers
were killed near
Salado Creek in Bexar County
Texas — Map (db m80829) HM WM|
|Texas (Fayette County), Round Top — 4363 — Round Top Community|
|Home of the Townsends, Hills and McH. Windurn, veterans of San Jacinto; Joel W. Robison, one of Santa Anna's captors; John Rice Jones, first postmaster general, Republic of Texas; and John C.C. Hill, boy captive of Mier Expedition and adopted by General Santa Anna.
A center of German culture and crafts of 19th century. Examples: Nassau Plantation; art of Mathias and Rudolph Melchior; Rev. Adam Neuthard's School; Stone Masonry of Carl S. Bauer; Lutheran Church with Wantke's handmade organ; and S.K. Lewis' Stage Coach Inn. — Map (db m49728) HM|
|Texas (Fayette County), Rutersville — 2486 — Asa Hill of Rutersville — (1788? - 1844)|
|Born in Martin County, N.C. Married Elizabeth Barksdale in Georgia, Oct. 6, 1808. Came to Texas 1835. In army in 1836, was sent by Gen. Houston to warn people in enemy's path. Settled here 1839. In 1840, enrolled eight children in Rutersville College. With sons Jeffrey and John C.C., joined the 1842 expedition to Mier, Mex.; captured, he drew a white bean — thus escaped death, but was in prison until Aug. 1843. Jeffrey was wounded, captured, likewise imprisoned. John C.C., then 14, was . . . — Map (db m71582) HM|
|Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — Morton Cemetery|
|Burial place of illustrious pioneers, including 1838-1841 Republic of Texas President Mirabeau B. Lamar (1798-1859) and one of State's first women settlers, Jane Long (1798-1880), known as ""The Mother of Texas.""
On Labor No. 1 of Mexican land grant to William Morton, 1822 settler in advance party of Austin's ""Old 300"" colonists; founded 1825 when Morton buried Robert Gelaspie (Gillespie), a brother Mason who had met with foul play. Later he erected a handmade brick tomb, the first . . . — Map (db m22732) HM|
|Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 9001 — Site of the Home of Randal Jones — 1786 - 1873|
| Member of the Long's Expedition in
1819. Captain of militia under
Austin in 1824. Member of the General
Consultation, 1835. On
this land granted him in 1824 he
built the house in which "Deaf"
Smith died, November 30, 1837. — Map (db m65460) HM|
|Texas (Fort Bend County), Stafford — Stafford's Point|
|One of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300," William J. Stafford (1764-1840), founded the settlement of Stafford's Point on the 6819.7-acre land grant he received in the winter of 1824. Bringing his family and slaves from his Louisiana sugar plantation, he was planting much land and had a sugar mill and cotton gin in operation by 1834. His manager, Clement C. Dyer (1800-64), a lawyer, political leader, and (later) county judge, married Stafford's daughter, Sarah (1809-74). Early residents of the . . . — Map (db m27781) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Bolivar Peninsula — Point Bolivar|
|Headquarters for Long's Expedition which attempted to free Texas from Spanish rule in 1819. Named in honor of Simon Bolivar (1783-1830), leader in the Spanish-American War for independence. Here Mrs. Long and a small group remained until news of her husband's death came in 1822. A light house was erected here by the Republic of Texas. — Map (db m34880) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 8240 — "The Cradle"|
|Building in which in 1891 Misses Betty Ballinger and Hally Bryan founded the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, a society for historical preservation.
This Victorian structure was then library of "The Oaks," family home of the founders, who were descendants of William H. Jack, a soldier in 1836 Texas victory at San Jacinto and an official of the Republic. First president (1891-1908) of D. R. T. was widow of last Texas president, Anson Jones.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1962 — Map (db m59424) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 7537 — First Navy of the Republic of Texas|
|Dedicated to the
First Navy of the Republic of Texas
Established by Governor Henry Smith
November 25th, 1835
Brutus • Independence
Liberty • Invincible
Commemorating the heroism of its
defenders of an empire — Map (db m65031) HM WM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — Fort San Jacinto|
|The northeastern tip of Galveston Island has seen defense fortifications since the early 1800's. Crude Spanish and French forts (1816-1818) gave way to small sand forts and batteries constructed by the Republic of Texas from 1836 to 1844. In 1863 the Confederate Army built sandbag breastworks and an earthen battery named Fort Point. All traces of these early fortifications were destroyed by the strong winds and tides which regularly reshaped the sandy tip of the island. A more substantial . . . — Map (db m78508) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — Galveston in the Republic of Texas|
|Galveston Island, for centuries a crossroads for Indians, privateers, Spanish and French explorers, for a time was capital of the Republic of Texas. This was during the Texas War for Independence, when Santa Anna was making his 1836 invasion. On March 17, the hastily organized and interim cabinet of President David G. Burnet evacuated Washington-on-the-Brazos, moving to Harrisburg, and then in April to Galveston. Here it remained until after the Texas victory at San Jacinto on April 21, 1836. . . . — Map (db m36130) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 7183 — General Sidney Sherman|
|Born in Massachusetts July 26. 1805. Came to Texas February 1836 as captain of a company of volunteers he had recruited in Kentucky and Ohio. Commanded the second regiment of volunteers at San Jacinto. First to sound the immortal war cry opening the battle - Remember the Alamo, Remember Goliad. Member of the Congress of the Republic 1842, 1843, 1846. Commandant Port of Galveston CSA 1861, 1862. Father of the railroads in Texas, having built the first one west of the Sabine River. Died in Galveston, Texas on the first day of August 1873. — Map (db m49823) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — Texas Revolution and Civil War|
|Following Laffite's expulsion from Galveston, settlers from the West Indies began to arrive. Within a few years, Galveston became principal port to the Republic of Texas.
Galveston was declared a Port of Entry in 1825 by Mexico and a customs house was established. The City served as capital of The Republic of Texas when President David G. Burnett and his cabinet were forced to abandon the interior at the time Sam Houston's forces met and defeated the Mexican army at San Jacinto in 1836. . . . — Map (db m50097) HM|
|Texas (Galveston County), Port Bolivar — Fort Travis|
|In early 1836, soon after Texas declared independence from Mexico, Republic of Texas President David Burnet dispatched Colonel Ed Harcourt to Galveston Island to erect a fort. Using army recruits and slave labor Harcourt built an octagonal earth and timber fortification armed with six and twelve-pound gun mounts appropriated from the Texas Navy vessel CAYUGA. Named Fort Travis in honor of William B. Travis, famous defender of the Alamo, it was located at the east end of the island. After high . . . — Map (db m34458) HM|
|Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 15677 — Angel of Goliad|
| Amid the cruelties of the Texas War for Independence, one notable woman committed acts of bravery and compassion. Francisca Alavez (also known by similar names) accompanied Mexican Army Captain Telesforo Alavez to Texas in March 1836. In seven incidents between March and April, she intervened with Mexican troops under command of Gen. José de Urrea to help captured Texian prisoners at Agua Dulce, Copano, La Bahía, Victoria and Matamoros. On Mar. 20, Maj. William P. Miller and 75 men of his . . . — Map (db m36263) HM|
|Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 13441 — Don Rafael Antonio Manchola|
|Early Goliad leader Rafael Antonio Manchola was born to a Spanish aristocratic family circa 1800. In 1822, he arrived in La Bahia, and two years later he wed Maria de Jesus de Leon, daughter of empersario Martin de Leon and Patricia de la Garza. Manchola served as attorney and business agent for the de Leaon and became one of the region's principal advocates for its citizens. He became commander of the Presidio of Nuestra Senora de Loreto and in 1828 became state deputy in the Coahuila and . . . — Map (db m34245) HM|
|Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 2200 — Goliad|
|One of the three first Texas municipalities. Old Aranama Indian village called Santa Dorotea by the Spanish. Presidio La Bahia and Mission Espiritu de Zuniga established 1749. Here early events leading to the Texas Revolution were expeditions of Magee-Gutierrez, 1812; Henry Perry, 1817; James Long, 1821.
Name changed Feb.4, 1829, from La Bahia (the Bay) to Goliad. Honoring (in anagram) Mexican patriot (H)idalgo.
Capt. George Collingsworth, Ben Milam and 48 men took Mexican garrison Oct. . . . — Map (db m34142) HM|
|Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 2203 — Goliad County|
|First known to Spanish settlers as Nuestra Senora de Loreto, later called La Bahia del Espritu Santo.
Established as a mission in 1749. Became a strategic fort under Spanish, Mexican, Texas occupancy, 1810-1821, 1835-1836. Name changed to Goliad and created a Mexican municipality in 1829. Scene of massacre of Fannin and his command in 1836.
Organized as a county, 1836, with town of Goliad as the county seat.
Home of Confederate General Hamilton P. Bee. From population of 3,384 . . . — Map (db m34291) HM|
|Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — Grave of Colonel J. W. Fannin and His Men|
| After battle of Coleto (March 19 - 20, 1836), where a Texas Army under Col. James Walker Fannin met defeat by Mexicans in superior numbers, the Texas soldiers were held in Presidio La Bahia, supposedly as war prisoners. However, by order of Mexican Gen. Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, approximately 400 of Fannin's men were marched out and massacred on Palm Sunday, March 27, 1836. The wounded were shot one by one in the fort compound. Col. Fannin was the last to die. Because of their profession, . . . — Map (db m35516) HM|
|Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — Presidio de Nuestra Señora de Loreto de la Bahía — (Fort of Our Lady of Loreto of the Bay)|
| One of the most historic Spanish forts in Texas. Popularly called Presidio la Bahía, it was founded on Espíritu Santo (present Lavaca) Bay in 1722. Twice moved, it was re-established here in 1749 to protect Espiritu Santo Mission (1/4 mi. NW). In the chapel is the statue of Our Lady of Loreto placed here in 1749. The turbulent history of this fort has often rung with the sound of revolution. Between 1812 and 1820 several irregular "filibustering" forces, including the Gutierrez-Magee . . . — Map (db m36230) HM|
|Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 4572 — Santa Anna's Surrender Ratified|
|Gen. Vicente Filasola, Second in Command of Mexican armies in Texas War for Independence, fled from area of his nation's defeat at San Jacinto, April 21, 1836. Filasola's aim was to go to Mexico with his army.
After he had passed through Goliad, he was overtaken at Mujerero Creek (12 mi. SW) by Texan Army couriers, Col. Ben Fort Smith and Capt. Henry Teal. Signing the ratification of peace at Mujerero, May 26,1836, were Gen. Filasola, Gen. Eugene Tolsa, Col. Augustine Amat, Col. Smith, and Capt. Teal. — Map (db m34166) HM|
|Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 3823 — Andrew Ponton — Texas Heroes Square|
| Born in Virginia to William and Isabella (Mooreland) Ponton, Andrew Ponton came to Texas in December 1829 and settled in Green DeWitt's Colony, receiving a land grant near Hallettsville. He became active in area politics, and in 1834 he was named alcalde, or mayor, of the municipality of Gonzales. The following year, after the community began to experience political unrest as a result of differences with the Mexican government, the community formed a Committee of Safety and appointed . . . — Map (db m36591) HM|
|Texas (Harris County), Cypress — 10623 — Matthew Burnett Homesite — Texas Army Camp - April 16, 1836|
|Matthew Burnett (1795-1842) and his wife, Sarah (Simmons) (1797-1852), came to Texas from Arkansas in 1831 and settled south of here on Cypress Creek. Their home was near the "Harrisburg Road" which stretched 15 miles northwest to a crossroads at the home of their closest neighbor, Abram Roberts, and, in the other direction, 25 miles southeast to Harrisburg.
The interim government of the Republic of Texas stayed here briefly on March 22, 1836, while enroute to establish the Republic's new . . . — Map (db m50163) HM|
|Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10654 — Amos B. Edson|
|Arrived in Texas January 28, 1836, having been recruited in New Orleans for the Army of Texas by Captain Amasa Turner in whose company he served at San Jacinto. Died in Houston, 1837. — Map (db m59589) HM|
|Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10646 — Daughters of the Republic of Texas|
|On November 6, 1891, seventeen women met at the home of Mrs. Andrew Briscoe at this site to organize an auxiliary to the Texas Veterans Association. Mrs. Anson Jones was elected president of the new organization, Daughters of the Lone Star Republic. Goals set for the group included preserving the memories of Texas Revolution heroes, instilling Texas patriotism in the state's school children, preservation of historic sites, and promoting statewide celebrations of Texas Independence Day (March 2) . . . — Map (db m62378) HM|
|Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10677 — Harris County|
|Inhabited during the 17th century by Karankawa and Orcoquiza Indians, and considered in 1756 by Spain for site of Presidio de San Agustin de Ahumada, this region was settled permanently in 1822 by the colonists of Stephen F. Austin. In 1824 John R. Harris (1790-1829) received title to 4,428 acres of land in Buffalo Bayou-Braes Bayou Junction area, and started village named for his family for Harrisburg, Pa., founded by his grandfather. Colonial settlements in the vicinity were Cedar Bayou, . . . — Map (db m59557) HM|
|Texas (Harris County), Houston — Old Harrisburg|
|The town was founded in 1836 by John Richardson Harris, a native of New York State and one of the "Old Three Hundred" Texas colonists. He died of yellow fever in 1829, while visiting in New Orleans. His wife, Jane Birdsall Harris, and the oldest of their four children, arrived in Harrisburg in 1833.
The Harris home was located three blocks north of this site. At here invitation, the government of The Republic of Texas, retreating before the advancing Mexican forces, made her home the . . . — Map (db m62912) HM|
|Texas (Harris County), Houston — Texan Capture of Mexican Dispatches — The San Jacinto Campaign in Southwest Harris County|
|After the fall of the Alamo on March 6, 1836, Gen. Sam Houston led the Texan Army in retreat from Gonzales. The Mexican army under Gen. Santa Anna followed eastward from San Antonio. On April 14, while Houston's army was north of him, Santa Anna led a division of his army from the Brazos River near present Richmond to Harrisburg. He crossed present southwest Harris County, then an uninhabited prairie, and reached Harrisburg (12 miles east of this site) on April 15. The Mexicans burned . . . — Map (db m35917) HM|
|Texas (Harris County), Houston — The Capture of Santa Anna|
|This point is the approximate site of the capture of Santa Anna, the president of Mexico, and commander of the Mexican army-by James A. Sylvester, Joel W. Robison, Edward Miles, S.R. Bostigh, Joseph Vermillion and ???? Thompson, all soldiers of the Texas army under General Sam Houston. Santa Anna hand made his escape disguised in the uniform of a private soldier, on horseback, on the night of the Battle of San Jacinto, April 21st. He was captured on the 22nd and taken back to the camp on the . . . — Map (db m60821) HM|
|Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10606 — Battle of San Jacinto|
|At mid-afternoon April 21, 1836, two miles to the north, General Sam Houston with about 1,000 Texans in 18 minutes annihilated the 1,400-man army of Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, President of Mexico.
Screened by trees and rising ground, Houston's men formed with Edward Burleson's regiment at center, Sidney Sherman's on the left wing, artillery under George W. Hockley on Burleson's right, the infantry under Henry Millard on the right of the artillery. Under M. B. Lamar, a future president of . . . — Map (db m53487) HM|
|Texas (Harris County), La Porte — De Zavala Plaza|
|Name honors Lorenzo De Zavala, Vice President of Republic of Texas (Ad Interim, March 17-Oct. 17 1836) |
Born in Yucatan and educated in the seminary of Ildefonso, De Zavala was an Ardent Liberal who was jailed 1814-1817 for political activities, in prison he learned English and became a medical doctor. In 1821 he was a member of the Cortes in Madrid, Spain, and later was Governor of a province of Mexico.
After Mexico won independence from Spain, he kept working for Democratic . . . — Map (db m43784) HM
|Texas (Harris County), La Porte — San Jacinto Battleground Park|
The movement to set aside the San Jacinto Battleground as a patriotic shrine was begun in 1856, when a group of Texas veterans assembled here started a fund for a monument to the nine men who fell in the battle. In 1883 the State purchased the first ten acres.
From its organization in 1891, the Daughters of the Republic of Texas became leaders in this work. They assisted in establishing the boundaries of the battlefield, placing granite boulders on . . . — Map (db m53672) HM|
|Texas (Harris County), La Porte — San Jacinto Monument — San Jacinto Battlefield|
|The early policies of Mexico toward her Texas colonists had been extremely liberal. Large grants of land were made to them, and no taxes or duties imposed. The relationship between the Anglo-Americans and Mexicans was cordial. But, following a series of revolutions begun in 1829, unscrupulous rulers successively seized power in Mexico. Their unjust acts and despotic decrees led to the revolution in Texas.
In June, 1832, the colonists forced the Mexican authorities at Anahuac to release Wm. . . . — Map (db m6702) HM|
|Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10767 — Site of Battle of San Jacinto, 1836|
Near here on the afternoon of April 21, 1836, the army of The Republic of Texas commanded by General Sam Houston was drawn up to attack an invading Mexican army commanded by General Antonio Lopez De Santa Anna. — Map (db m53670) HM|
|Texas (Harris County), La Porte — Site of Surrender of Santa Anna|
|This heritage live oak, planted as a living memorial, marks the site of surrender of Mexican President Antonio Lopez De Santa Anna to Sam Houston, Commander-in-Chief of the Army of Texas. Dedicated to the heroes of the Army of Texas during the Texas Sesquicentennial observance of Arbor Day, January 17, 1986. — Map (db m53529) HM|
|Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10752 — Site of the Home of Dr. George Moffit Patrick|
|Site of the home
in 1836 of
Pioneer surveyor • Here the Texas
Army encamped after the Battle
of San Jacinto and cabinet meet-
ings were held — Map (db m53323) HM|
|Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10768 — The Texas Army Attacked in Four Divisions|
|The Texas Army attacked in four divisions; the Cavalry on the right, commanded by Mirabeau B. Lamar; next, the Infantry under Lieutenant Colonel Henry Millard; the “Twin Sisters” cannon under Colonel Edward Burleson; the 2nd Regiment, the left wing, under Colonel Sidney Sherman. — Map (db m53486) HM|
|Texas (Harris County), La Porte — The Twin Sisters|
|In grateful appreciation of the efforts of the
citizens of Cincinnati, Ohio,
whose generous help extended here to out fore-
fathers struggling for freedom and justice,
helped achieve a new dawn for free men
at San Jacinto on April 21, 1836:
We, the descendants of those brave men,
hereby dedicate replicas of the
Twin Sisters from Cincinnati
at San Jacinto on April 21, 1974,
and rededicate ourselves to the responsible
continuation of the freedom they gained for us.
The . . . — Map (db m53539) HM|
|Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10771 — Will You Come to the Bower, Battle of San Jacinto|
To the tune of “Will You Come to the Bower,” the Texans advanced; “Remember the Alamo! Remember Goliad!” was their cry. With cannons and gunshot, clubs and Bowie knives they fought — no quarter was given; the rout was complete — the slaughter terrific. — Map (db m54115) HM|
|Texas (Harris County), Morgan's Point — Col. James Morgan|
|Although the original land grant went to Johnson Hunter in 1824 and the Point was owned by Nicholas Clopper from 1826 until 1835, it was James Morgan who gave the Point its name.
Morgan purchased 1600 acres from Nicholas Clopper in December of 1835 and began to lay out his proposed town of New Washington. He built his own home on the site that Clopper had named Orange Grove.
Although General Santa Anna burned the plantation on the day before the Battle of San Jacinto, it was . . . — Map (db m60899) HM|
|Texas (Harris County), Seabrook — Captain William Plunkett Harris — Early Texas Entrepreneur and Pioneer Settler|
|New York native William Plunkett Harris (1797-1843) ran a steamboat line in partnership with Robert Wilson before moving to Texas in 1830. At Harrisburg, founded by his brother John Richardson Harris (d. 1829), for whom Harris County was named, he and Wilson took over a mill operation. Later William started a plantation here at Red Bluff, where he lived with his wife Caroline (Morgan) (1816-1867) and two children. Harris was active in the early efforts to reform the Mexican government's . . . — Map (db m35924) HM|
|Texas (Hays County), San Marcos — Gen. Antonio Gaona’s 1836 Campaign|
|During the War for Texas Independence, Mexican General Antonio Gaona marched his division up this road. Gaona had received his training in the Royal Spanish Army in his native Cuba. During the Mexican Revolution against Spain, however, he transferred his loyalties to those in revolt. Following Mexico’s independence in 1821, he remained in the army of his adopted country and, in 1830, was made a general.
Gaona served the Republic of Mexico throughout the Texas Campaign of 1836. Shortly . . . — Map (db m69111) HM|
|Texas (Hays County), San Marcos — 10311 — Post San Marcos|
|The Republic of Texas Congress in Dec. 1838 called for military roads and forts from Red River to the Nueces. A road from Austin, joining El Camino Real near St. Mark's Springs, was designed for rapid communication between San Antonio and the Capital. Post San Marcos was to be constructed at the springs to safeguard travel.
Adj. Gen. Hugh McLeod (1814-62) laid out the fort, to be garrisoned by a company of 56 men. Capt. Joseph Wiehl's Co. H, 1st Inf. Regt., in Oct. 1840 completed the road . . . — Map (db m70967) HM|
|Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 1243 — Dolores Townsite — (About 8 miles south)|
Only settlement founded in John Charles Beales' ill-fated Rio Grande colony of 1834-1836. Beales (1804-1878) -- empresario of 70,000,000 acres in present Southern and Western Texas and New Mexico -- was Texas' largest known land king. In 1833 he and a partner brought 59 settlers here to colonize a town to be named for Beales' Mexican wife. Indian raids and drought soon took their toll, but the death blow came in 1836. As the group fled the Mexican Army during the Texas Revolution, Comanches . . . — Map (db m82519) HM|
|Texas (Lavaca County), Shiner — Half Moon|
|The community of Half Moon was first mentioned in a 1689 account from Gov. Alonso De Leon's expedition when the group encountered a Native American tribe that called Half Moon their home. The area was known as Half Moon due to the peculiar shape of the timber in the area. This location on Rocky Creek was a natural gathering place for Native Americans and travelers. Since the 1830s, settlers have flocked to the area to engage in trade and farming. One of the early settlers was German immigrant . . . — Map (db m68496) HM|
|Texas (Lavaca County), Shiner — 2458 — Herder Half Moon Place|
|This Greek revival home (200 yds. N) was built in the 1880s by George Herder (1818-1887), veteran of the Texas Revolution and pioneer farmer and rancher in the Half Moon community. A son, William (d. 1940), later ran a butcher shop and farmed the land, opening the house to travelers in need of a place to rest. Owned by members of the Herder family for over 100 years, the house and outbuildings are the only remaining evidence of the Half Moon community.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982 — Map (db m68497) HM|
|Texas (Medina County), Hondo — 332 — Battle of the Arroyo Hondo|
|In 1842 the Mexican Army launched three invasions into Texas to reclaim territory lost during the Texas Revolution. Col. Rafael Vasquez's Army briefly occupied San Antonio in March, and in July Texans fought with Col. Antonio Canales' forces near San Patricio.
When Gen. Adrian Woll's Mexican forces advanced through South Texas and captured San Antonio on September 11, Texan volunteers gathered for battle. More than 200 men under the command of Matthew Caldwell assembled at Salado Creek six . . . — Map (db m81867) HM|
|Texas (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 7865 — Former Homesite of Joseph L. Bennett|
|Joseph L. Bennett, who came to Texas in 1834 and settled in this area, joined the Texas army in early 1836. As captain of a company of local volunteers, he left this area about March 1, 1836, to lead his troops to aid Texan forces at the Alamo. Upon reaching the Colorado River he learned of the fall of the Alamo, and so discontinued the mission. He soon joined with Sam Houston's main army and in April was elected Lt. Colonel of the 2nd Regiment of Volunteers, the company he commanded at the . . . — Map (db m56760) HM|
|Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — "The Treaty" — sculpted by Michael Boyett|
|The date was February 23, 1836, and the situation for Texas was desperate. Santa Anna with about 6,000 troops was on the march towards the Alamo with the intent of smashing the small, poorly-organized, and ill-equipped army of Texans along with their fledgling government. Fearing an alliance between Mexico and the Indian tribes, the Texas government sent its envoys to meet with the East Texas tribes, hoping to negotiate a treaty designed to keep them from fighting on the side of Mexico and . . . — Map (db m29822) HM|
|Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — Battle of Nacogdoches — August 2, 1832|
|Armed with nothing more than shotguns and various types of hunting weapons, the national militia of Nacogdoches, aided by militias from Ayres, Teneha, Sabine, Bevil, Settlement, and San Augustine, fired the opening guns of the Texas Revolution during the Battle of Nacogdoches on August 2, 1832. Colonel Jose de las Piedras commanded his 300 member Mexican garrison from the Old Red House situated on this site. Piedras lost 47 men, with 40-60 wounded. Victory at the Battle of Nacogdoches enabled . . . — Map (db m29460) HM|
|Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9252 — Battle of Nacogdoches — (August 2, 1832)|
|One of the opening actions of the Texas War for Independence, this battle occurred soon after settlers drove out the Mexican garrisons at Anahuac and Velasco. In 1932 Col. Jose De las Piedras, in command of over 300 soldiers here, ordered the residents to surrender all firearms. Citizens of Nacogdoches and other East Texas towns resisted by forming the "National Militia," commanded by James W. Bullock.
When Piedras refused to support the constitution of 1824, the militia marched toward the . . . — Map (db m29606) HM|
|Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9399 — Charles S. Taylor — (1808 - 1865)|
|Site of the home of
Charles S. Taylor
(1808 - 1865)
Citizen of Nacogdoches, 1830-1865. A signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. Land commissioner and Chief Justice of Nacogdoches County. Born in London, England, in 1808. Died here November 1, 1865. — Map (db m27180) HM|
|Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9398 — Charles Standfield Taylor|
|Land commissioner of East Texas, 1883. A signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, 1836. Chief Justice of Nacogdoches County, 1837. District Attorney, 1839. Rio Grande land commissioner, 1854. Born in London, England 1808. Died November 1, 1865.
Anna Marie Rouff Taylor
Born in Germany, March 1, 1814. Died February 8, 1873 — Map (db m27210) HM|
|Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — Eugenia Sterne Park — A Deed of Affection from Sam Houston|
|March 2―Texas Independence Day in 1836―was the birthday of Sam Houston in 1783 and of Eva Helena Eugenia Sterne in 1829. On October 25, 1841, Republic of Texas President Sam Houston presented the land of this present-day Eugenia Sterne Park to his birthday partner Eugenia in a "Deed of Affection."
Eugenia was the twelve-year-old daughter of Adolphus Sterne, Sam Houston's friend from the time of their first meeting in 1817. Sterne was a Nacogdoches merchant, land speculator, . . . — Map (db m29841) HM|
|Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9271 — Haden Edwards|
Leader of the Fredonian Rebellion, 1826-27
Sent to the United States to raise funds for the Texas Revolution, 1836
A leader in the development of a nation.Born in Virginia
August 12, 1771
Died August 14, 1849
Susan Beall Edwards
Born in Maryland
April 10, 1774
Died April 6, 1849. — Map (db m27412) HM|
|Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9356 — Home of Adolphus Sterne|
|A pioneer citizen of Nacogdoches. Born in Cologne, Germany, April 5, 1801. Alcalde at Nacogdoches under the Mexican Government, member of the Congress of the Republic of Texas. Died March 27, 1859. Buried in Nacogdoches. Here General Sam Houston made his home both before and after his marriage. The door of Adolphus Sterne was ever open to all the world. — Map (db m29575) HM|
|Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9347 — Homesite of John S. Roberts — (1796-1871)|
|A native of Virginia, came to Texas in 1826.
An active participant in the struggle for Texas Independence. One of the leaders in Battle of Nacogdoches. Delegate to Consultation, November 3, 1835. Commanded the Nacogdoches Company in storming of Bexar, December 5 to 10, 1835. Signer of Declaration of Independence, March 9, 1836. — Map (db m29705) HM|
|Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9346 — John S. Roberts|
|Sheriff in Natchitoches Louisiana in 1826. One of the leaders in Battle of Nacogdoches. Member of Consultation 1835. Commanded the Nacogdoches company in storming of Bexar, 1835. Signer of Texas Declaration of Independence. Born in Virginia, July 13 1796. Died August 9, 1871
His wife Harriett Roberts Born April 7, 1796 Died April 5, 1874 — Map (db m27222) HM|
|Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 14133 — Milam Lodge #2, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Texas|
|The Masonic Lodge in Nacogodoches is the oldest in the state still operating in its original location. Before the organization of a Grand Lodge in Texas, Louisiana Masons granted dispensation for individual lodges here. Three lodges, Holland (No.36) of Brazoria, Milam (No 40) of Nacogdoches, and McFarland (No.41) of San Augustine, were organized in this way from 1835-37. Nacogdoches' lodge organized on August 16, 1837, honoring with its name Texas Revolutionary hero Ben Milam, who was killed . . . — Map (db m29700) HM|
|Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 12102 — Oak Grove Cemetery|
|Originally called "American Cemetery," Oak Grove Cemetery is located on the 1826 land grant of Empresario Haden Edwards. The leader of the 1826 Fredonian Rebellion, Edwards is interred here. The earliest marked burial on this site is that of Franklin J. Starr (d. 1837), a native of New Hartford, Connecticut and a local realtor.
Many graves from the early Spanish cemetery of Nacogdoches were relocated to this site when the county courthouse was erected on the Spanish cemetery grounds in . . . — Map (db m27190) HM|
|Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9345 — On this site stood the old "Red House"|
|Headquarters of Colonel Jose de las Piedras, commander of the Mexican garrison in Nacogdoches, 1827-1839. The property, after the Texas Revolution, of General Thomas J. Rusk. Served as classrooms for the University of Nacogdoches, 1845-1852. — Map (db m29325) HM|
|Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9253 — Site of Bivouac and Banquet for The New Orleans' Greys|
|Led by Adolphus Sterne, citizens of Nacogdoches helped outfit a volunteer force, the New Orleans' Greys, to fight in the Texas War for Independence. One company of Greys traveled overland to San Antonio by way of Nacogdoches in Nov. 1835. The 50-100 men camped for a few days at the site near Sterne's home. They were honored with a banquet of bear, raccoon, and other meat, and were praised in toasts and speeches. The Greys reached San Antonio before the Siege of Bexar, Dec. 5-9, 1835. Most of . . . — Map (db m29576) HM|
|Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9302 — Site of the Home of Juan Antonio Padilla|
|A native of Nacogdoches.
Land Commissioner, 1829.
Vice-Governor of the State of
Coahuila and Texas.
Active in the Texas Revolution.
Died in Houston in July, 1859.
His wife, Maria Montes del Padilla,
Died here, August 14, 1846. — Map (db m29295) HM|
|Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9348 — Site of the Home of Thomas J. Rusk — 1803 - 1857|
|Soldier - Statesman of the Republic of Texas - A hero of San Jacinto - Commander-In-Chief of the army 1836 - Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, 1839 - President of the Constitutional Convention, 1845 - United States Senator, 1846 - He called Nacogdoches his home from 1835 to 1857. — Map (db m27122) HM|
|Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — Thomas Jefferson Rusk|
|Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, Secretary of War for the Republic of Texas, Brigadier General of the Army and hero at San Jacinto, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the Republic of Texas, United States Senator, he was a soldier, a jurist and a statesman.
1803-Born in South Carolina, December 5
1824 - Passed his Bar Exam at age 21
1825 - Opened his law office in Clarksville, Georgia
1827 - Married Mary Cleveland, January 4
1835 - Moved to Nacogdoches in January . . . — Map (db m27798) HM|
|Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9275 — William ("Bill") Goyens — Texas' First Black Capitalist — 1794-1856|
Born a slave in South Carolina, 1794
Escaped to Texas in 1821
Rendered valuable assistance to the Army of Texas, 1836
Interpreter for the Houston-Forbes Treaty with the Cherokees, 1836
Acquired wealth and was noted for his charity
Died at his home on Goyens' Hill
His skin was black His heart, true blue
Accompanying metal marker:
This monument marks the site of a large city lot owned by Willaim Goyens in the 1840s. Contrary to the . . . — Map (db m29461) HM|
|Texas (Refugio County), Refugio — 152 — Amon B. King|
|In the early morning of March 14,1836, twenty eight Texans under Captain Amon B. King separated from Col. William Ward's command in the mission church and late that day in a wood on the west bank of Mission River a half mile below the town fought a desperate battle with part of General Urrea's Mexican command. Five Texans were killed and five wounded, one of whom joined Colonel Ward in the church. The others escaped but were captured next day.
On March 14, 1836, Lieutenant Colonel William . . . — Map (db m34071) HM|
|Texas (Refugio County), Refugio — 1482 — Empresario James Power — (1781-1852)|
|Born in Ireland, Colonial James Power came in New Orleans in 1809 and to Texas in 1823. With fellow Irish Empresario James Hewetson (1796-1870), he was awarded contracts to settle Irish Catholic and Mexican families between the Guadalupe and Lavaca Rivers. Their territory was extended in 1830 to the Nueces. Power went to Ireland to recruit colonists. On the return voyage sickness and shipwreck tragically reduced their numbers. In 1835 he urged his colonist to garrison Goliad, and battled . . . — Map (db m33783) HM|
|Texas (Refugio County), Refugio — 2652 — Irish Immigrants in Refugio|
|The history of settlement in Refugio is closely associated with Ballygarrett, County Wexford, Ireland. Irish natives James Powers(c.1788-1852) and James Hewetson (1796-1870), both of whom immigrated to the United States in the early 19th Century and later became citizens of Mexico, obtained permission from the Mexican government to oversee the immigration of more than 200 Irish families to Texas in the 1830s.
The first group of Irish settlers arrived on the Texas Gulf Coast in 1834. A . . . — Map (db m34027) HM|
|Texas (Refugio County), Refugio — 5616 — Urrea Oaks|
|By tradition, camping place in March 836, during Texas War for Independence, of Gen. Jose Urrea of Mexico. Strategically located, this was Urrea's staging area.
Capt. Amon B. King came from Goliad with his Texas volunteers to support the Refugio townsmen, who were taken into the safety of Mission Nuestra Senora Del Refugio. Then Lt. Col. William also arrived on March 13, and the "Battle of Refugio" began. Both King and Ward left protection on the Mission, and Urrea won final victories over . . . — Map (db m33704) HM|
|Texas (Sabine County), Milam — 13641 — John C. Hale|
|John C. Hale, one of nine patriots killed at the Battle of San Jacinto, was born in Scott County, Virginia on April 3, 1806. He married Barshaba Miller in his home state in 1830, and by 1835 moved with his wife and children to Sabine County. They were living in Milam when John joined the war effort against Mexico as a first lieutenant. At the age of 30, he died in combat in the final military conflict of the revolution in April 21, 1836, and was buried with seven other battle casualties at the . . . — Map (db m29876) HM|
|Texas (Sabine County), Milam — 11044 — Milam|
|Founded in 1828 as Red Mound Named in 1835 for Benjamin Rush Milam Seat of justice of Sabine municipality, 1835; of Sabine County, 1837-58. Incorporated December 29, 1837. Internal Revenue post during the Republic headquarters of the Quartermaster's Department, C.S.A. for Sabine County, 1861-65. First home in Texas of John S. Roberts a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence Home of John C. Hale, martyr of San Jacinto. — Map (db m29875) HM|
|Texas (San Augustine County), San Augustine — 7646 — Thompson Family|
|Dr. Samuel (1765-1843) and Precious Wofford (d. 1841) Thompson and their sons were among the earliest settlers of this area. Samuel Thompson served as alcalde of the San Augustine municipality and later organized area churches and schools.
Burrell J. Thompson (1790-1875), the eldest Thompson son, came to Texas in 1821 with Stephen F. Austin. He was involved in the Freedonian Rebellion, gave financial aid to the Texas Revolution, and later served three terms as justice of the peace in San . . . — Map (db m31107) HM|
|Texas (San Patricio County), San Patricio — 4550 — San Patricio de Hibernia|
|Founded in 1830 by John McMullen and James McGloin as the seat of their irish colony under an empressario contract dated August 17, 1828 which was fulfilled by the empresarios 1830-1835.
Named in honor of Saint Patrick the Patron Saint of Ireland.
As the frontier outpost of Texas when the revolution began San Patricio 1835-1845 suffered all the miseries of that conflict with no compensating returns. At and near San Patricio, on February 27, 1836 general Jose Urrea's division of Santa . . . — Map (db m77532) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 13929 — African Americans in the Texas Revolution|
|Many African Americans, free and slave, supported Texas during its 1835-36 war of independence from Mexico. Although official recognition of the African American role was generally denied, recorded accounts of individual acts of bravery and patriotism survived.
Hendrick Arnold distinguished himself as a guide and soldier for Ben Milam’s Texas Army at the Siege of Bexar and later at the Battle of San Jacinto.
William E. (Bill) Goyens, a prominent African American businessman of . . . — Map (db m25746) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15300 — Capt. & Mrs. Chauncey Johnson|
|Here sleep Capt. and Mrs. Chauncey Johnson. Capt. Johnson was born in Burlington, Vermont May 1, 1798. Served in the War of 1812. Came to Texas in 1840. Captured by General Adrian Woll at San Antonio, September 11, 1842 and imprisoned in Mexico. Died at Bastrop, Texas May 10, 1854. — Map (db m25696) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14985 — Capt. Jesse Billingsley|
|A soldier in the Army of Texas, 1835. Commander of Company C. First Regiment, Texas Volunteers at San Jacinto. Member of the 1st and 2nd Congresses of the Republic. Participated in the Woll Campaign, 1842. Member of the Senate, 5th and 8th Legislatures of the State. Born in Tennessee October 10, 1810. Died in Bastrop County, Texas October 1, 1880 — Map (db m25775) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14871 — Captain Andrew Briscoe|
|Born in Mississippi November 25, 1810. Came to Texas in 1833. A volunteer in the Army at Anahuac, 1835. Commanded a company at the Capture of San Antonio, 1835. Signed the Texas Declaration of Independence. Commanded a company at San Jacinto. First Chief Justice of Harrisburg Municipality, 1836. Died in New Orleans October 4, 1849 — Map (db m25676) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15334 — Col. Lewis Miles Hobbs Washington — Dec. 2, 1813 - Feb. 1857|
|Georgia native Lewis Washington came to Texas about 1835 and joined the revolutionary forces at San Antonio. A member of Col. Fannin’s staff, he served with the Georgia battalion at Refugio and Goliad. He was appointed to an office in Sam Houston’s presidential administration during the days of the Republic. Washington was killed in Nicaragua while in Central America as a news reporter. His body was not recovered, but his wife, Rebecca, is buried here. — Map (db m26725) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14473 — Daniel Shipman|
|Participated in the disturbance at Anahuac June, 1832 and the storming and capture of Bexar, December 5 to 10, 1835. Born in North Carolina February 20, 1801. Died in Goliad County, Texas March 4, 1881.
Eliza Hancock Shipman
Wife of Daniel Shipman. Born December 22, 1813. Died in Goliad County, Texas September 11, 1858. — Map (db m25666) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14888 — Dr. George Moffit Patrick|
|A volunteer at Anahuac, 1832. Member of the Consultation, 1835. Commander of the schooner “Flash”, 1836. Most Worshipful Grand Master Gran (Masonic) Lodge of Texas, 1848-49. Born in Virginia, September 30, 1801. Died in Grimes County, Texas June 28, 1889.
His wife, Martha Scaife Patrick. Born in England in 1813. Died in Grimes County, Texas September 26, 1855. — Map (db m44241) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15014 — Dr. Thomas Jefferson Gazley|
Born in New York, January 8, 1801. Died in Bastrop County, Texas, October 31, 1853. Doctor-lawyer, soldier, legislature.
Delegate to the Second Convention of Texas, 1833 * Physician in the Army of Texas, 1835-1836 * Signer of the Declaration of Independence, 1836 * Grand Senior Warden of the Grand (Masonic) Lodge of Texas, 1837 * Member of the Second Congress, 1837-1838 — Map (db m25888) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15113 — Gen. George W. Terrell|
|Born in Kentucky 1803. Came to Texas in 1840 from Mississippi. Associate Justice, supreme court, 1840. Secretary of State, 1841. Attorney General, 1841-42. Charge d'affairs of the Republic of Texas to England, France and Spain 1844-45. Died in Austin, Texas May 17, 1846. — Map (db m25693) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14984 — General Moseley Baker|
|Commanded Co. D., First Regiment of Texas Volunteers at San Jacinto. A member of 1st and 3rd Congresses of the Republic and later a Brigadier General of Militia. Born in Virginia Sept. 20, 1802. Died in Houston, Texas Nov. 4, 1848. His wife Eliza Ward Baker. Died in Houston, Texas Feb. 4, 1849. — Map (db m25765) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15541 — George Weedon|
| Permanently wounded in the
Battle of San Jacinto while serving in
Captain William S. Fisher's company
Died January 18, 1842
near Old Cincinnati in
Walker County, Texas — Map (db m44785) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14643 — Governor Elisha Marshall Pease|
|In 1835 E.M. Pease migrated to Texas from his native Connecticut. He joined the Texian forces at the Battle of Gonzales, Oct. 2, 1835, which initiated the Texas War for Independence. In the early days of the Republic, he worked as a government clerk and later served in the Legislature and Senate. He was a prominent lawyer in Brazoria when elected Governor in 1853.
During Gov. Pease’s first two terms in office, 1853-57, a permanent school fund was established and Texas first free public . . . — Map (db m26210) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15055 — Henry Smith|
|Henry Smith (1788-1851) immersed himself in public affairs soon after arriving in Texas in 1827. Initially a local political leader in what is now Brazoria County, he was appointed in 1835 as a delegate to the San Felipe Consultation, which met to determine Texas’ position toward the Mexican dictatorship established by Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna. Contrary to Smith’s desire for independence, the Consultation voted to support the 1824 Mexican Federal Constitution, but established a provisional . . . — Map (db m26540) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14704 — James Allison York|
| Participated in the Capture
of San Antonio, 1835
A member of
Capt. Moseley Baker's company
at San Jacinto
Born in Kentucky
on July 4, 1800
Died in Lavaca County, Texas
February 6, 1869 — Map (db m44789) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15533 — James G. Wilkinson|
|A member of Capt. Wm. W. Hill’s company at San Jacinto. Born in Kentucky March 5, 1805. Died in Lee County, Texas August 15, 1848. Here also sleeps Amanda Wilkinson, wife of James G. Wilkinson. — Map (db m25738) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14103 — James Wales Jones|
|Born in Georgia, 1797 One of the “Old Three Hundred” Austin colonists A soldier in the Texas War for Independence Died 1847 His wife, Hetty Stiles Jones Died 1899 — Map (db m26001) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15075 — John Edward Lewis|
|A member of Captain W. J. F. Heard's Company in the Battle of San Jacinto. Born in New York City, October 3, 1808, died April 1, 1892. His wife Anna (Scott) Lewis Born in Albany, N. Y. 1812 died May 24, 1896. — Map (db m25690) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14844 — John Hawkins Singleton|
|Served in the Army of Texas, 1836, the Army of the United States in the Mexican War, 1846, the Confederate Army, 1861-1865. Born in Kentucky June 25, 1818. Died in Ellis County, Texas August 3, 1884.
His wife Rebecca Ann (Barker) Singleton. Born in Tennessee October 9, 1830. Died in Ellis County, Texas May 8, 1901. — Map (db m26536) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14153 — Joseph Baker|
|Born in Maine 1804. Died in Austin, Texas July 11, 1846. One of the founders of “The Telegraph and Texas Register” at San Felipe De Austin, October 10, 1835. A soldier at San Jacinto. First Chief Justice of Bexar County, 1836. Member of the Congress of the Republic, 1837. — Map (db m25767) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14315 — Josephus Hornsby|
|To Josephus Hornsby Mar. 15, 1822 Oct. 21, 1862. Son of Reuben Hornsby; settled here, 1832, Bastrop ranger, 1837. In Flores Fight, 1839 Battle of Plum Creek, 1840 Brushy Fight, 1840, Vasquez and Woll Campaigns, 1842; led fight against Indians from whom he rescued William Bell and Alexander Coleman in Austin, 1842.
His wife Eliza Ann Lane Feb. 14, 1830 Sept 6, 1892. — Map (db m82359) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14070 — Martin Parmer|
|Born in Virginia, June 4, 1778. Died in Jasper County, March 2, 1850. A delegate to the Constitutional Convention of Missouri, 1821. Senator in Legislature of Missouri. Second in command in the Fredonian War in Texas, 1826. Member of the Consultation 1835. Signed the Declaration of Independence, 1836. Parmer County, Texas named in his honor. — Map (db m26205) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14442 — Old Quarry Site|
|Limestone quarried at this site was hauled to Congress Avenue by oxen and used in constructing the 1853 Texas Capitol Building. The structure burned in 1881, but stone from the Capitol ruins later used in several Austin building projects. The quarry site was originally part of the land granted to Tennessee native George Washington Davis (1806-1884) for his service in the Texas Revolution. Later inherited by his daughter-in-law Elvira T. Davis, the land was maintained as the family homestead for . . . — Map (db m61395) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14891 — Philip Walker|
|A soldier in the Army of Texas. Arrived at San Jacinto April 22, 1836. Born in South Carolina March 11, 1815. Died in Johnson County, Texas July 11, 1897.
His wife Elizabeth (Cooper) Walker. Born in Tennessee October 21, 1827. Died in Johnson County, Texas July 22, 1868. — Map (db m25677) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14281 — Richard Ellis|
|Born in Virginia February 14, 1781. Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of Virginia, 1820. Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and President of the Constitutional Convention, 1836. Senator in the Congress of the Republic of Texas, 1836 to 1840. Died in Bowie County, Texas December 30, 1846.
Mary Danridge Ellis. Wife of Richard Ellis. Born in Virginia 1787. Died in Bowie County, Texas October 21, 1837.
Ellis County, Texas was named for Richard Ellis. — Map (db m25858) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — Shoal Creek|
|Native Americans, settlers and cattle
drovers crossed the river here where Shoal
Creek's sand made the water shallow. During
Republic days Vice President Mirabeau
Lamar camped here, near the village of
Waterloo while hunting buffalo. His
impression of the area's beauty and
resources prompted the relocation of the
state capital in 1839. — Map (db m27244) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15158 — Susanna W. Dickinson — 1814-1883|
|Almaron and Susanna Dickinson settled in Gonzales about 1835 as members of DeWitt’s colony. Present with her daughter, Angelina, when the Alamo fell in March 1836, Susanna witnessed the deaths of Almaron and the other Texans. She was released by Mexican General Santa Anna after the battle, and with an escort made her way to Sam Houston with news of the Alamo. She married Joseph Hannig in 1857 and lived in Austin until her death. — Map (db m25849) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14722 — The Archive War|
|In 1839 Austin became the Capital of the Republic of Texas. The National Archives – state papers and land titles – were housed on Congress Avenue. In 1842, after Mexican armies seized San Antonio and seemed likely to capture Austin, many residents fled in what was called “The Breakup”. From his home in Galveston, President Sam Houston ordered removal of the government papers. A local “Archive Committee” responded by burying them. The President then tried . . . — Map (db m25750) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15273 — Thomas Pliney Plaster|
|Who manned one of the twin sisters cannon at the Battle of San Jacinto and was a veteran of the Mexican War, 1847. Born in Tennessee June 6, 1804. Died March 27, 1861. — Map (db m26236) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15306 — Willis Avery|
|A member of Captain Jesse Billingsley’s company at San Jacinto. Born in North Carolina October 15, 1809. Died in Williamson County, Texas July 17, 1889. His wife, Elzina (Weeks) Avery. Born in Missouri November 10, 1812. Died in Williamson County, Texas March 1, 1870. — Map (db m25760) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15484 — Winslow Turner|
| Born in Missouri
Died in Bastrop County, Texas
May 6, 1880
Participated in the
Battle of Gonzales
October 2, 1835
Served in the Texas Army, 1836
and in the Woll Campaign, 1842 — Map (db m44739) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Garfield — 14127 — Haynie Chapel Methodist Church|
|Founded 1839, in the Republic of Texas by Rev. John Haynie (1789-1860). First church was of logs, and located a mile north, on land of Andrew Deavers Houston. This building, the third, was put up in 1907.
Placque erected by Houston descendants, Mr. & Mrs. E.W. (Nellie Houston) Schuhmann. History given by Rev. Olin W. Nail, Present Pastor.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1964 — Map (db m79025) HM|
|Texas (Travis County), Webberville — 14131 — James Euwin Edmiston — 1820-1892|
|An Arkansas native, James Euwin Edmiston came to Texas in 1835, settling near present Webberville. He was a Texas Ranger during the Texas Revolution, and took part in several Indian battles in this area. He was involved in the Woll Expedition and the Archive War in 1842. He later served in two Travis County Ranger companies before moving to Sonora, California, in 1849. He was awarded a pension from the State of Texas for his Republic of Texas military service. — Map (db m25857) HM|
|Texas (Walker County), Huntsville — Law Office (Sam Houston)|
|Law office built and used at various periods of his later life by Sam Houston: Soldier, Statesman, Master Mason. — Map (db m8081) HM|
|Texas (Walker County), Huntsville — 8457 — Sam Houston|
|Born March 2, 1793, in Rockbridge County, Va.; son of Samuel and Elizabeth Houston. Moved to Tennessee in 1807 with widowed mother and her family. In 1813 joined U.S. Army under Gen. Andrew Jackson, with whom he formed lifetime friendship and political ties. In Tennessee, taught school, kept a store, served in U.S. Congress, was state governor. In 1829, after his young bride left him, resigned as governor and went westward. Settling in 1833 in Nacogdoches, became a leader in cause of Texas . . . — Map (db m8072) HM|
|Texas (Walker County), Huntsville — The Sam Houston Monument|
|The present monument was erected by the State of Texas and unveiled on April 21, 1911, the 75th anniversary of the Battle of San Jacinto. Among several thousand spectators present were Houston family members, State officials, the two surviving veterans of San Jacinto, and descendants of prominent early Texans. Dedicatory addresses were by noted orator William Jennings Bryan of Nebraska and Texas Senator McDonald Meachum of nearby Grimes County, who sponsored legislation for the $10,000 gray . . . — Map (db m82312) HM|
|Texas (Washington County), Brenham — La Bahia Road|
|One of the first overland routes used by European explorers of Texas, La Bahia Road was originally an east-west Indian trail in southeastern Texas and Louisiana. Earlier it may have been an animal trail. Although not as famous, or long, as El Camino Real (the San Antonio Road), La Bahia is probably older and it figured quite importantly in the movement of explorers, soldiers, traders, and settlers across Texas. Possibly the first European to set foot on the road was La Salle, who explored for . . . — Map (db m27787) HM|
|Texas (Washington County), Washington — 8404 — Washington-on-the-Brazos|
|This village — site of the signing of the Texas Declaration of Independence and first capital of the Republic of Texas — began in 1822 as a ferry crossing. Here the historic La Bahia Road (now Ferry Street) spanned the Brazos River.
In 1834 a townsite was laid out and named, probably for Washington, Georgia, home of a leading settler.
In 1835, as political differences with Mexico led toward war, the General Council (the insurgent Texas government) met in the town. . . . — Map (db m72114) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — John McQueen Taylor — April 24, 1812 – March 14, 1887|
|Tennessee native John McQueen Taylor came to Texas with his family in 1829 as a settler in the Empresario Grant of Lorenzo de Zavala. Taylor fought in the Anahuac disturbances of 1834 and later, as a soldier in the Texas army, he participated in the Grass Fight and the siege of Bexar. An early justice of the peace in both Tyler and Orange counties, he later settled in Williamson county. He and his wife Nancy Ann had four children. — Map (db m23483) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13919 — Judge Greenleaf Fisk|
|Born in Albany, New York, Greenleaf Fisk was the son of a Presbyterian minister. He began preparation for the ministry himself but left his studies to migrate to the Texas frontier. In 1834 he settled in Bastrop. There he joined a company of volunteers and fought at the Battle of San Jacinto, April 21, 1836. Later he was elected to the Republic of Texas Senate.
In the 1840s Fisk moved his family to a log house on the South San Gabriel River near present Leander. When Williamson County was . . . — Map (db m4408) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Jarrell — 14009 — Daniel Harrison|
|Tennessee native Daniel Harrison (1816-1870) migrated to Texas in 1835. He served with Texan forces during the Texas Revolution, and as a volunteer for the Republic’s militia. He was in the 1839 Battle of the Neches. In 1840, Harrison married Nancy Robbins and soon moved his family to present-day Williamson County and what would be the Corn Hill community. He served in Central Texas’ 27th Brigade during the Civil War. As a blacksmith in Corn Hill, a stage stop on the route from Austin to Fort . . . — Map (db m28812) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 9093 — Manuel Flores|
|In this vicinity, Manuel Flores, an emissary of the Mexican government, with a small group of men conveying ammunition to the Indians on the Lampasas River, was surprised by Rangers under Lieutenant J. O. Rice in May, 1839, and killed. — Map (db m4709) HM|
|Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9327 — James O. Rice|
|South Carolina-born James O. Rice migrated to Texas by 1835 and served in the Texas Army during the War for Independence. In early days of the Republic of Texas, he protected frontier settlements as part of a Texas Ranger company. On May 17, 1839, in command of a volunteer force clashing with Mexican troops led by Manuel Flores on the North San Gabriel River, Rice captured vitally important documents related to the Cordova Rebellion against the Republic of Texas. He joined the Somervell and . . . — Map (db m75834) HM|
|Virginia (Rockbridge County), Lexington — A 52 — Birthplace of Sam Houston|
|In a cabin on the hilltop to the east Sam Houston was born, March 2, 1793. As commander-in-chief of the Texas army, he won the battle of San Jacinto, which secured Texan independence, April 21, 1836. He was President of Texas, 1836-1838, 1841-1844; United States Senator, 1846-1859; Governor, 1860-1861. He died, July 26, 1863. — Map (db m32087) HM|
|Virginia (Rockbridge County), Lexington — Birthplace of Sam Houston|
|On March 2, 1793, the noted soldier and statesman Sam Houston was born in a log cabin on a nearby knoll. Houston served with distinction in the U.S. Army and later as a congressman and governor of Tennessee before moving to Texas in the 1830s. In Texas, he soon became a leader in the revolution against the Mexican government under General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna. A signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence on March 2, 1836, Houston was chosen Commander-in-Chief of the Texan army. On . . . — Map (db m32089) HM|