At, or near, this site, the United States, after seizing this point of land from the Spanish in 1813, built Fort Bowyer, a structure of wood and sand.
A small garrison of men courageously fought to defend the fort against two British attacks, one . . . — Map (db m28692) HM
John Hanby came in 1817 and found a rich seam of brown iron ore. Named Champion in 1882 when Henry DeBardeleben and James Sloss bought land and brought L&N Railroad causing county seat to be moved from Blountsville to Oneonta in 1889. Most ore was . . . — Map (db m28362) HM
Drill Ground of the Midway Guards 1860, later Company B 15th Alabama C.S.A. ordered to Richmond. Second Company 1861 assigned to Company C 45th Alabama C.S.A. ordered to Army of Tennessee. These and many later volunteers met the enemy in . . . — Map (db m89636) HM
This Stone Marks The Site Of The Tallasahatchie Battle Field. On this spot
Lieut. Gen. John Coffee with
Gen. Andrew Jackson’s men
won a victory over the
Creek Indians, Nov. 3, 1813.
Erected by the
Frederick Wm. Gray Chapt.
Daughters of . . . — Map (db m36554) HM
Selected as a landmark contributing to a deeper
understanding of our American Heritage.
The National Register of Historic Places
United States Department of the Interior
May 13, 1986
Centered around Jacksonville’s . . . — Map (db m36479) HM
Muscle Shoals City was incorporated on April 24, 1923. Among the leading developers were New York realtors A.L. Howell and C.T. Graves. Their interest in Muscle Shoals was inspired by the vision of Henry Ford to use power from . . . — Map (db m28580) HM
On Jan. 21, 1933 President-elect Franklin Delano Roosevelt addressed an immense crowd at this crossing from his railroad car and promised "to put Muscle Shoals back on the map." He then toured the idle U.S. Nitrate Plant No. 2 and Wilson Dam with . . . — Map (db m83392) HM
Front In 1918, during World War I, the U.S. Government built this unique village of 85 bungalows, school, and officers barracks to house personnel at nearby Nitrate Plant No. 1. Prefabricated and standard size materials were used in . . . — Map (db m88110) HM
The Family Home of Captain Arthur M. & Kate Adams Keller was build 1820, being the second house erected in Tuscumbia.
Here on June 27, 1880 was born America's First Lady of Courage
Helen Adams Keller — Map (db m29089) HM
This congregation was organized in the 1830's, with services being held in private homes and the Methodist meeting house. The present building was first used in October 1852 and completed the following year. During the Civil War, Union troops . . . — Map (db m28422) HM
Construction on the home which became the center building of Deshler High School was begun in 1824 by Clark T. Barton. William Winston purchased and completed the Georgian-style dwelling in 1833. The largest remaining antebellum house in Tuscumbia, . . . — Map (db m28565) HM
Garrett Longmire had an early trading center, tavern and stage stop near here. He served as the postmaster when his store became a post office in 1818, one of the earliest in what was then the Alabama Territory. The Burnt Corn Post Office served as . . . — Map (db m81298) HM
The first church in the City of Cullman was established on this block of land donated by the North and South Railroad in February 1874. Lots 154, 155, and 181 were granted to Henry Dietz, August Henning, and George Stoback as trustees of the . . . — Map (db m33841) HM
Thrifty German colonists, led by Col. John G. Cullman, in 1873 settled this thinly populated plateau.
This section, previously thought unproductive, became famous for its diversified crops. — Map (db m29976) HM
This stone marks the site of Cahaba, selected November 21, 1818 as the first permanent capital of Alabama. The seat of goverment remaining here until removed to Tuscaloosa by the Legislature, January 1825.
On December 13, 1819, it was fixed as . . . — Map (db m22609) HM
In 1818, Alabama's first governor carved the capital city of Cahawba out of the wilderness. In less than 50 years, Cahawba grew from a frontier capital full of log cabins to one of America's wealthiest communities, with some of the finest . . . — Map (db m83508) HM
This structure collapsed in 1833 and its fallen remains were reportedly heaped into a railroad embankment. Consequently, we have no picture of the Statehouse that was drawn by someone who actually saw the building. Any modern picture you see of this . . . — Map (db m75909) HM
Edmund Winston Pettus, lawyer, General C.S.A., U.S. Senator, was born Limestone County, Alabama, 1821.
Admitted to bar, 1842.
Moved to Cahaba, 1858.
Major, C.S.A., 1861.
Brigadier General, 1863.
U.S. Senator, 1897-1907.
Resided here . . . — Map (db m38273) HM
Highlights of Selma History
Dallas County was created by Territorial Legislature Feb. 9, 1818. Selma Land Company formed Mar. 19, 1819 by George Phillips, William Rufus King, Jesse Beene, Gilbert Shearer and Caleb Tate. . . . — Map (db m37679) HM
This tank was used to hold water for the City of Brewton Electric Light and Water Works Fire Protection System and was built circa early 1890's. This location was originally the Blacksher Miller Lumber Company, which became . . . — Map (db m94172) HM
Nichols came to Alabama City in 1894 to supervise construction of the Dwight Manufacturing Company. While serving as the mill's first agent, he planned and began a model mill village and was elected Mayor of Alabama City. — Map (db m18578) HM
In 1851 twelve Methodists met in Newton (later Attalla) to plan a Methodist Episcopal Church. A crude log building on North Fifth Street served as the first church. In 1861 and again in 1882 the church relocated on Fifth to accommodate the growing . . . — Map (db m83731) HM
Dwight Manufacturing Company of Chicopee, Massachusetts selected this site in Alabama City for a cotton mill in 1894. The Mill and the village covering 240 acres was constructed under the direction of Howard Gardner Nichols.
There were 160 . . . — Map (db m18575) HM
Created by state legislature on December 1, 1868 from territory taken from Cherokee, DeKalb, Marshall, Blount, St. Clair and Calhoun Counties, having originally been formed December 7, 1866 as Baine County in honor of Confederate hero David W. . . . — Map (db m83735) HM
In the early 1840’s, John S. Moragne, along with Gabriel and Joseph Hughes, began surveying for a city on the banks of the Coosa River near the settlement of Double Springs. The new city would be located on 120 acres of land at the . . . — Map (db m39139) HM
Side A Red Bay is nestled in the northwest corner of the state in Franklin County. The oak trees, planted by the Garden Club in 1937, issue a Main Street welcome through the “tunnel of trees.” Originally inhabited by Chickasaw . . . — Map (db m41133) HM
Site of a prehistoric Native American political and ceremonial center from about A. D. 1100-1500 that, at its height in the 13th century, was America’s largest community north of Mexico. Between 1,000 and 3,000 people lived in this town fortified by . . . — Map (db m30700) HM
Side A One of the Five Lower Towns established by the Chickamauga Cherokees in 1782 under the leadership of Dragging Canoe. Territorial Governor William Blount reported to the Secretary of War in 1792 that: “Crow Town lies on the north . . . — Map (db m28473) HM
Created by an Act of the Legislature on December 7, 1821, Decatur County was comprised of portions of Madison and Jackson Counties. "Old Woodville," two miles north along County Highway 7, was designated as the County Seat. An 1823-‘24 completed . . . — Map (db m33314) HM
The Corey Land Company, a group of prominent local businessmen headed by Robert Jemison, Jr., developed Belview Heights as a neighborhood for the professional employees of U.S. Steel in the 1910's. Extending the grid system being used in Ensley over . . . — Map (db m24351) HM
The Brock building was established in 1915, located at the intersection of Fourth Avenue and 18th Street North, was built while the area was residential. The three-story building housed a hotel upstairs that catered to professional musicians and . . . — Map (db m26723) HM
To Be Opened March 1, 2022
Dedicated at the construction completion March 1, 2002
Owners - BLH Group, LLC
Brookmont Investors II, LLC
Spire Holdings, LLC
Developer - Brookmont Realty Group, LLC
General . . . — Map (db m27010) HM
Vulcan Park isn’t just Vulcan’s home; it’s also a public park. The original project, funded by the WPA (Works Progress Administration) aimed for “general beautification of the entire acreage” to create” an ideal spot for untold . . . — Map (db m69015) HM
The Creek Indian Cession of 1814 opened this section of Alabama to settlement. At the time of statehood in 1819 many pioneer families had located here in what later became known as Jones Valley. By 1820 the area was called Ruhama Valley as a result . . . — Map (db m26680) HM
Eddie James Kendrick, nicknamed "cornbread", was born the eldest of five children to Johnny and Lee Bell Kendrick in Union Springs, Alabama.
After attending Western-Olin High School in Ensley, Alabama, Eddie was persuaded by his childhood . . . — Map (db m26724) HM
This neighborhood developed in the 1880s as one of Birmingham's first streetcar suburbs. It was the Town of Highlands from 1887 to 1893, when it became part of the City of Birmingham. The heart of the neighborhood was Five Points Circle, a major . . . — Map (db m83829) HM
This sculpture is dedicated to the Foot Soldiers of the Birmingham Civil Rights Movement.
With gallantry, courage and great bravery they faced the violence of attack dogs, high powered water hoses, and bombings. They were the fodder in the . . . — Map (db m27394) HM
A residential district extending from the crest of Red Mountain to the floor of Jones Valley with roads built along natural land contours. Birmingham real estate promoter and civic leader, Robert Jemison, Jr., began development as Mountain Terrace . . . — Map (db m26983) HM
The Fraternal Hotel Building was built in 1925. Some of the businesses that were located in this building included:
1925 - 1980 Fraternal Hotel
1925 - 1970 Fraternal Café
1950 - 1966 Monroe Steak House
1985 - 1994 Grand Lodge Knights of . . . — Map (db m27518) HM
Founded in 1898 by Robert Jemison, this 30-acre historic district is a private residential park containing an almost intact collection of some of Birmingham's finest 20th century houses. It was the first professionally landscaped residential . . . — Map (db m27520) HM
On October 1, 1886, the North Birmingham Land Company was formed to develop a planned industrial and residential town on 900 acres of land, formerly part of the Alfred Nathaniel Hawkins plantation north of Village Creek. The plan included sites for . . . — Map (db m26700) HM
Extending across the crest of Red Mountain, is the state’s second oldest garden-landscaped residential area. Developed from 1911 to 1935 by Robert Jemison, Jr., Hill Ferguson, and Henry Key Milner using landscape architects C. W. Leavitt of New York . . . — Map (db m41129) HM
Built by Birmingham industrialist A. H. “Rick” Woodward, Rickwood Field served as home to the Birmingham Barons and Birmingham Black Barons for most of the 20th century. Recognized as “America’s Oldest Baseball Park,” . . . — Map (db m83837) HM
In 1850 George James Roebuck and his wife Ann Hawkins Roebuck built a log cabin at the mouth of Roebuck Spring. His Influence and leadership led to the area around it to be known as Roebuck. In 1900 Alabama Boys Industrial School was located . . . — Map (db m26688) HM
Roebuck Springs was the first large residential suburb in Birmingham where planning and development were tied to the automobile, and the first community in the city associated with a golf course development. The 1910 land plan was designed to . . . — Map (db m26684) HM
The crossing of railroads in 1872 adjacent to this site gave rise to the industrial city of Birmingham. In 1881 Alabama railroad magnate and entrepreneur James Withers Sloss, capitalizing on the unusual coincidence of coal, iron ore and limestone in . . . — Map (db m23498) HM
This residential area was carved from the Joseph Riley Smith plantation, a 600 acre antebellum farm, one of the largest in 19th century Jefferson County. Smithfield lies to the west of Birmingham's city center on the flat land . . . — Map (db m26990) HM
At the turn of the 20th century, Birmingham was a small town of two and three story buildings with a few church steeples punctuating the skyline. During the industrial boom from 1902 to 1912 which made Birmingham the largest city in the state. Four . . . — Map (db m27500) HM
Wilson Chapel was built in 1916 as a memorial to James and Frances Wilson by their daughters, Rosa Wilson Eubanks and Minerva Wilson Constantine. At the time of its construction the area was developing into a community of country homes known as . . . — Map (db m26681) HM
Side A Located in Jefferson County in Shades Valley, Homewood came into existence with the combination of Edgewood, Rosedale, and Oak Grove. Hollywood, a fourth community, joined Homewood later. The City of Homewood was incorporated in 1926, . . . — Map (db m37712) HM
In the early 1900's, among the many craftsmen who migrated south to build the booming industrial cities was Swedish brick mason A. G. Hallman. Hallman moved from the Lake Michigan area and purchased an acre of farmland along the north side of Oxmoor . . . — Map (db m26986) HM
Clyde Nelson, born in Columbiana, Alabama, was only 26 when he began development of the Town of Hollywood in 1926. With a sales force of 75 and the slogan "Out of the smoke zone, into the ozone" his beautiful community soon took shape. Homes were . . . — Map (db m27091) HM
The City of Hoover has grown rapidly since its incorporation in 1967 from a small four block area west of this site. A metal shed behind Employers Ins. Co. became the first fire station and “city hall.” A bank, grocery, hardware, drug . . . — Map (db m28448) HM
The poetic lines inscribed on the boulder below is a replica of those carved in 1827 by Thomas W. Farrar.
Thomas W. Farrar was the Founder and first Grand Master of the Masonic Lodge in Alabama 1821-22-24.
This historical site donated to the . . . — Map (db m28490) HM
A neighborhood of 158 homes, Monte D'Oro was established July 23, 1964, which was prior to the incorporation of the City of Hoover. The neighborhood was build by developer William M. "Bill" Humphries. These homes were designed by architect and noted . . . — Map (db m83253) HM
Indian, Wagon Trail, now Shades Crest Road, led to popular chalybeate springs. Summit, now Bluff Park, was a resort known for its view, cool air and healing mineral water. In 1899 school / church was built. In 1909 Bluff
Park Hotel, built on land . . . — Map (db m28517) HM
51 Structures, 70% residential, built early 20th century to post World War II period.
The 1885 sale of Gardner Hale’s land began the housing development. The 33 acre 1924 Independent Presbyterian Church Children’s Fresh Air Farm, 1923 Bluff Park . . . — Map (db m28518) HM
A total of 243 houses and 44 duplex units were constructed from 1936 - 1938 at an overall cost of $2,661,981.26. Cahaba residents rented from the government until 1947, when the houses and duplexes were sold to individuals at prices ranging from . . . — Map (db m26227) HM
The notorious outlaw gang leader who boasted that no one would ever run over Tom Clark lies buried near the center of Tennessee Street where now all who pass by do run over him.
In 1872, Clark, who terrorized helpless citizens during the Civil . . . — Map (db m80320) HM
At this site where once stood Fort Willingham (Armory) the 115th Signal Battalion was organized December 1, 1940. Originally the 2nd Battalion, 151st Engineers, it was organized a number of times from 1940 to 1959 as its mission was changed to meet . . . — Map (db m28562) HM
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997, this district contains 52 structures, most of which were built after 1900. Cherry Street was laid out in 1818 near the east boundary of Florence. Pulitzer Prize winner Thomas Sigismund . . . — Map (db m28406) HM
From the time Florence was established in 1818, a slow but steady growth occurred. In the late 1880s the town's population increased by 500 percent as an industrial boom began. This area became the core of the business district. Most of the . . . — Map (db m35177) HM
Dr. E. B. Norton was a member of the U.S. Education Mission sent to Japan after World War II to advise Gen. McArthur on the complete reorganization of the Japanese School System, which is still in place today. — Map (db m29266) HM
Gilbert School, named in honor of Henry C. Gilbert, school superintendent 1892-1904 and long time member of Board of Education was built in 1920, costing $79,000. The structure was planned by George D. Waller, architect. A relief sculpture . . . — Map (db m83988) HM
John McKinley (1780~1852), native of Virginia, prominent attorney, member of Cypress Land Company, built a large three story mansion near this site in 1820's which later burned. McKinley served in Alabama Legislature, U.S. Senate (1826~31); was . . . — Map (db m28926) HM
This is the highest domiciliary mound in the Tennessee Valley. It was probably built between 100 B.C. and 400 A.D. by a prehistoric people of the ancient Woodland Culture. Such mounds served as bases for ceremonial temples or chief's houses. This . . . — Map (db m28457) HM
Side A This area near the mouth of Cypress Creek was inhabited by Archaic People as early as 8,000 B.C. Their main food consisted of freshwater mollusks from the river.
(These mussels were the origin of the name "Muscle Shoals.")
The . . . — Map (db m84044) HM
Sam Phillips fell in love with the miracle of sound and the unifying power of music. Moving to Memphis, Tennessee, he embraced the beauty of the blues with his early recordings of Howlin Wolf, B.B. King and other delta artists. In . . . — Map (db m29270) HM
In the late 1960s, Point Park was developed by the City of Florence on this 82-acre site, leased from TVA, for outdoor recreation. It was the first multi-use sport complex in the State of Alabama. In the early 1970s, plans were developed for a . . . — Map (db m74407) HM
Walnut Street began as a residential area in the national economic boom of the 1880s and 1890s and continued its development through the 1920s. Industries and businesses grew in Florence, the population of the city increased, and business and . . . — Map (db m84158) HM
In 1818 three Wilson brothers John, Matthew and Samuel, came from Virginia to purchase large farms in this area. The plantations of John and Matthew joined near this cemetery. All three brothers and their families are buried here. . . . — Map (db m28160) HM
This park, first designated as a Public Walk, was laid out as part of the original plans of Florence in 1818. On February 20, 1924, the Board of City Commissioners officially changed its name from City Park to Woodrow Wilson Park in honor of the . . . — Map (db m35665) HM
Daniel White, native of North Carolina, purchased land here in 1818, a year before Alabama became a state. His home and stagecoach stop, "Wayside Inn" was a large two~ story log house located on the North side of the highway from this site. In 1834 . . . — Map (db m29170) HM
Lock Six, headquarters of Muscle Shoals Canal, was located 1.3 miles south of here. An 1836 attempt to build a bypass canal around the shoals proved unsuccessful. On November 10, 1890 the canal from Rogersville to Florence was successfully . . . — Map (db m28452) HM
One of Alabama's oldest incorporated towns. Waterloo was an important Tennessee river port during the steamboat era. In low~water season after large boats from Louisville, Cincinnati and other places downriver unloaded here: smaller craft . . . — Map (db m84302) HM
Side A Structures within the Courtland historic district represent over 150 years of changing tastes in building design. Although only a few of Courtland’s earliest buildings survive, the Federal~style architecture of the oldest houses . . . — Map (db m28990) HM
This circa 1820 house is thought to be one of the oldest houses in Courtland. Occupying a lot platted by the Courtland Land Company in 1818, the house faces North toward what was once the main Tuscumbia Road. Dr. Jack Shackelford . . . — Map (db m84306) HM
Born July 31, 1868 ~ Died April 10, 1955
Daughter of General Joseph Wheeler
Gallantly served her country three times on foreign soil.
Volunteer nurse, Santiago, Cuba~1898.
Spanish~American War and Manila, P.I. ~1899
during Philippine . . . — Map (db m29558) HM
Five Historic Indian tribes lived in this area. By 1701, The Yuchi were living at the shoals on the Tennessee River. In early 1700s the Yuchi left, some moving to the Cherokee Nation on the Hiwassee River, TN and others to Chattahoochee River, GA. . . . — Map (db m36040) HM
Form the late 1700's to 1807 a Cherokee Chief named Doublehead guarded this area, that was claimed by both the Cherokee and Chickasaw Nations as sacred hunting grounds against encroachment of white settlers.
Chief Doublehead had the reputation of . . . — Map (db m84646) HM
Built in 1924 and billed as the "the world's largest bottle", The Bottle (also know as the "Twist Inn") was built by John F. Williams, owner of the Nehi Bottling Company in Opelika, Alabama. A wooden replica of a bright orange Nehi soda bottle, it . . . — Map (db m85167) HM
This famous intersection, now known as Toomers Corner was named for businessman and State Senator Sheldon Toomer who founded the Bank of Auburn here in 1907. He served 45 years as bank President and 25 years on the Auburn City Council. Toomers . . . — Map (db m39813) HM
Post office contains original call boxes
Old tavern, 1817 used as stagecoach stop
Red Brick Methodist church 1817
U.S. Gen. James A Garfield was stationed here 1862
White frame church is more than a century old
Andrew Johnson was . . . — Map (db m28154) HM
Before statehood, the Alabama Territory had only limited rights of self government. Between July 5 and August 2, 1819, forty-four delegates from across the Territory convened in Huntsville to draft a constitution for statehood. Lawyers, merchants, . . . — Map (db m26592) HM
City was scene of these "firsts" in Alabama:
1811 first town incorporated
1812 first Masonic Lodge chartered
1816 first bank incorporated
1819 first state constitution drafted
1819 first Governor inaugurated
1819 first session of . . . — Map (db m27843) HM
This canal was constructed to the Tennessee River to facilitate the transportation of cotton to market. Developers were: Thomas Fearn, LeRoy Pope, Stephen S. Ewing, Henry Cook, and Samuel Hazard. — Map (db m27844) HM
Designated by the City of Huntsville, Alabama on December 12, 1974 as a Huntsville historic district, it contains houses dating from 1828 onward with the majority dating from 1880 to 1929. Approximate boundaries:
East Clinton Avenue north to . . . — Map (db m30381) HM
Here, President James Monroe was honored at a public dinner on June 2, 1819, while on a three-day visit to the Alabama Territory. Here, also, the First Alabama Legislature convened on October 25, 1819, while Huntsville was the first Capital. — Map (db m27851) HM
Establish in 1856 as a shipping station on the Memphis and Charleston R.R., the town was platted on land owned by James Clemens and incorporated by vote of its citizens in 1869.
First officials included William R. Johnston, mayor, and five . . . — Map (db m61625) HM
(Front): Located in Section 18, Township 2, Range 2 East, this site was an early wayside stop for pioneer settlers as they traveled the road from Winchester, Tennessee into Madison County. The tavern predates the creation of the county, Dec. . . . — Map (db m85840) HM
Mile and one-half southeast on Flint River ---------> Earliest important textile mill in Alabama Incorporated by Patton Donegan Company in 1832 3,000 spindles and 100 looms operated by skilled slave labor. In production as late as 1885. Name . . . — Map (db m31722) HM
Side A Establishing a history of theaters in this district, the Braswell Theater introduced its ornate interior to
Demopolis on October 23, 1902, with a performance of
the melodrama Unorna. Built by Frederick Henry Braswell in . . . — Map (db m85845) HM
(Side A) In 1924, the Alabama Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) established Kate Duncan Smith School to provide a patriotic education dedicated to academic achievement and service to "God, Home, and Country" for . . . — Map (db m33308) HM
(Side A) This area's proximity to the Tennessee River and Indian trails made it a crossroads for early habitation, settlement, and trade. Archaeological studies reveal it was first inhabited about 12,000 years ago by Paleo-Indians. They . . . — Map (db m33305) HM
This congregation originated in 1842 with a group of slaves who worshipped in their masters' church, a Methodist congregation. They were required to move to a small house provided for them. Their perseverance and faith held them together through . . . — Map (db m86573) HM
Title to this land, part of a Spanish grant and formerly a burial ground, was clarified by the American State Papers in 1828. Michael Portier, Mobile's first Bishop, made this his home from 1834 until his death in 1859. Four subsequent bishops of . . . — Map (db m86344) HM
One of the premier antebellum structures in the city, the house was built by Charles Richards, a riverboat captain originally from Maine. The building is considered to have Mobile's finest cast iron, featuring figures in a garden setting and . . . — Map (db m86511) HM
The church was organized in 1853 by ten African-Americans who were former members of Stone Street Baptist Church. It is the second oldest Missionary Baptist Church in Alabama. The first three pastors were Caucasian; however, following passage of the . . . — Map (db m86578) HM
On this site in 1884 the Sisters of Mercy established the Convent of Mercy. In 1908 the front building, the convent, was constructed and in 1927 the adjacent school building was occupied by pupils attending Convent of Mercy Academy. The school . . . — Map (db m86584) HM
From Division Headquarters, located at this point from August 1917 to May 1918, was directed the training of the Thirty Seventh Division, National Guard Troops of Ohio, for Service in the World War.
The Relief map below indicates the locations . . . — Map (db m38899) HM
Placed by the City over Artesian Basin and crowned by Hebe, Goddess of Youth and Cup-bearer to the Gods. Fountain was cast by J.L. Mott Iron Works of New York. Restored by Robinson Iron of Alexander City in 1984 during the administration of Mayor . . . — Map (db m36501) HM
Also called Hostile Bluff or Thirteen Mile Bluff, this spot located in a deep bend of the Alabama River was once the key to the Southeast and a strategic point in Colonial days. The first steamboat, the Harriet, arrived at this point in 1821, and . . . — Map (db m86120) HM
Side A Named for Union General and Freemen’s Bureau Agent Wager Swayne, Swayne College was dedicated 21 April 1869. The Bureau appropriated $10,000 for the building and the local black community purchased 3.5 acres for the site. Future . . . — Map (db m28171) HM
Located at the hilltop overlooking Downtown
Montgomery, Five Points is an intersection of history
and humanity. Here the historic black communities of
West Montgomery meet the Cottage Hill neighborhood
featuring Montgomery's most preserved . . . — Map (db m91734) HM
Stood 2800 feet north of this point, just west of Line Creek on the Federal Road. Moved to Montgomery in 1978 to serve as the Visitor and Information Center for the Old North Hull Historic District, it is the oldest remaining building in Montgomery . . . — Map (db m60906) HM
Ingalls Iron Works was established in 1910, by Robert Ingalls, in Titusville Alabama. It became the largest steel company in the region. Looking for new opportunities for the steel his company fabricated, Ingalls opened Ingalls Shipyard in 1937 to . . . — Map (db m86507)
Named in honor of
W. W. “Barney” Benson, Supt. Ed. 1927 - 38
H. L. “Shorty” Ogle, Coach 1934 - 64
Aubrey Fuller, Asst. Coach 1929 - 58
The “T” formation was introduced to Alabama here in 1941
On . . . — Map (db m28268) HM
City of Hartselle Hartselle, named after early pioneer George Hartsell (with no "e") rose from modest beginnings to an important position in the growing economy of Morgan County. Founded in 1870, the town owes its existence to the construction . . . — Map (db m37205) HM
from lands ceded by Creek Indian Nation in Treaty of Ft. Jackson, 1814.
Named for Gen. Arthur St. Clair, hero of Revolution, governor of Northwest Territory.
First settlers from Tennessee, Georgia - veterans of Creek Indian War, 1813-14. . . . — Map (db m28143) HM
Originally named Alabama Girls' Industrial School and later Alabama College, this institution was founded Oct. 12, 1896, by the Alabama Legislature. It was the state college for women until 1956, when it became coeducational. In 1969 the name was . . . — Map (db m37289) HM
Home of the University of Montevallo, American Village and the Alabama Veterans Cemetery, Montevallo is located in the geographical center of Alabama at 33° 6’ 18” N 86° 51’ 46” W. In 1814, Jesse Wilson laid claim to “Wilson’s . . . — Map (db m37178) HM
Near this site stood Shelbyville, A. T., first county seat of Shelby County; named for Isaac Shelby, governor of Tennessee. Shelby County was established February 7, 1818 by an act of the Alabama Territorial legislature. The first orphans’ court was . . . — Map (db m28441) HM
The City of Talladega was incorporated in 1835. Not long after the founding of Talladega, the Square became the town center. The Talladega Courthouse was built in 1836 and is the oldest courthouse in continuous use in Alabama. The courthouse . . . — Map (db m37229) HM
2 ½ miles East - the beginning of Steel Industry in this area. Iron Ore, reduced by charcoal, hauled by oxcart, was made into plows, pots, cannon and munitions.
State Park- Camping, Nature Trails, Swimming and Fishing Early American . . . — Map (db m36927) HM
After the seat of government was moved to Montgomery in 1847, the Tuscaloosa Capitol and its furnishings were deeded to the University of Alabama to be used for educational purposes.
In 1857, the University Board of Trustees leased the building . . . — Map (db m29064) HM
Built on this site in 1936, Queen City Park Softball Field served as the cornerstone for the first successful community effort to promote the organized play of amateur softball in Tuscaloosa County. Its construction followed nationwide efforts to . . . — Map (db m28788) HM
The Capitol in Tuscaloosa was designed by English-born architect, William Nichols, who served as State Architect from 1826 - 1832. Nichols also designed and built the campus of The University of Alabama.
Before coming to Alabama he had . . . — Map (db m29117) HM
This stone commemorates the City of Tuscaloosa as the second state capital, January 1826 to January 1846.
Erected by the Alabama Centennial Commission and the Citizens of Tuscaloosa, and dedicated December 14, 1919. On the occasion of the one . . . — Map (db m28996) HM
William Brockman Bankhead served Alabama in the U.S. Congress from 1917 until 1940.
For the last four years of his life, during Franklin D. Roosevelt's presidency, he served as the 47th Speaker of the House.
He was the son of U.S. Senator John . . . — Map (db m29980) HM
On November 16, 1973, through Presidential approval of pipeline legilation, Alyeska Pipeline Service Company received
permission to begin construction of the 800-mile trans Alaska pipeline, its pump stations and the Marine Terminal at . . . — Map (db m20215) HM
This pole is one of two poles manufactured in 1951 as part of a campaign to properly mark the top of the Earth. After a grand tour of the United States, its twin was pushed out of the tail hatch of an Alaska Airlines DC-4 over the geographic North . . . — Map (db m58912) HM
This Sign Greeted New Arrivals As They Arrived At The Pipeline Construction Camp Located One Mile West Of Here. We Salvaged This Sign When The Camp Was Being Dismantled.
You are about 55 miles north of the Arctic Circle on the East Bank . . . — Map (db m49597) HM
The Taylor Highway leads through some of the earliest and richest gold mining country in Alaska to the City of Eagle on the Yukon River. Gold was discovered by Franklin in 1886 and the old town of Forty Mile was located on the Yukon River at the . . . — Map (db m49596) HM
Once owned & often visited by film legend John Wayne, the ranch with the prominent white show barn came to fame in the 1940s as the Milky Way Hereford Ranch, owned by the Mars Candy Family. — Map (db m36611) HM
Below among the large cottonwood trees are the historic hdqtrs of Fred T. Colter's Cross Bar Ranch. Originally homesteaded in 1881 by Texan Micajah Phelps, Colter built the ranch into one of the largest cattle operations in Northeastern AZ. — Map (db m36609) HM
Due south rises the 3rd tallest peak in AZ, revered by conservationist, Aldo Leopold Escudilla was home to Ike Clanton of OK Corral fame & Arizona's last grizzly bear. In fall, the north slope is golden with Aspen covering the 23,000 acre fire of . . . — Map (db m36592) HM
This park contains buildings restored by the White Mtn. Historical Society. They preserve early settler, Hispanic, & Native American cultures, along with farming, forestry and ranching heritage. — Map (db m36594) HM
The line separating the territories of New Mexico and Arizona was established as 32 degrees of longitude west of the Washington Meridian by Congressional Act of February 24, 1863, signed by President Abraham Lincoln.
The Washington Meridian . . . — Map (db m36625) HM
In the early 1900's the rough edges of Bisbee's mining camps could be found here in notorious Brewery Gulch with its dozens of saloons, gambling halls and crib houses. The street got its name from a common activity in Bisbee's early days, . . . — Map (db m28278) HM
At this location on June 5, 1933, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, wife of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, dedicated Douglas International Airport as the first international airport in the United States.
Designed by J. P. Sexton as the first . . . — Map (db m28357) HM
During the Chiricahua Apache Campaign (1861-1886) cavalry troops on maneuvers camped here at a permanent source of water known as Soldiers Hole.
W. C. Sanderson and Ambrose Lyall struck artesian water nearby in 1883.
In 1892 a . . . — Map (db m28363) HM
"Near here Geronimo, last Apache Chieftain and Nachite with their followers surrendered on Sept. 6th 1886 to General Nelson A. Miles. U. S. Army. Lieutenant Chas. B. Gatewood with Kieta and Martine Apache scouts, risked their lives to enter the camp . . . — Map (db m28355) HM
Named for one of Arizona's first U.S. Senators. A pioneer in development of trails and copper mines in Grand Canyon. Near here was the site of Tanner's Crossing of the Little Colorado River on the Mormon Trail from Utah via Lee Ferry to settlements . . . — Map (db m80764) HM
In 1857 Congress authorized Navy Lieutenant Edward F. Beale to survey a wagon road along the 35th parallel from Fort Defiance, New Mexico Territory, to the Colorado River. A secondary mission was to test the feasibility of using camels in the . . . — Map (db m33348) HM
From 1857-60, Lt. Edward F. Beale and a crew of 100 men completed the first federal highway in the southwest from Fort Smith, Ark. to Los Angeles, Calif. at a cost of $200,000. The wagon road was used extensively by immigrants en route to California . . . — Map (db m33346) HM
The City of Flagstaff purchased this land in 1959 from the United States Forest Service.
In 1964, James Potter, Sr., long-time resident, entrepreneur and Flagstaff Chamber of Commerce President, led the effort to form a non-profit organization, . . . — Map (db m33347) HM
Named for a pine tree stripped of its branches by a party of immigrants and used as a flagpole for a patriotic celebration on July 4, 1876. Nearby Antelope or Old Town Spring provided water and led to the establishment of a railroad construction . . . — Map (db m33330) HM
Historians generally agree that Flagstaff derives its name from a flag-raising ceremony held July 4, 1876, by a group of settlers from New England who were camped within sight of this historic monument.
In February and May of 1876, two groups . . . — Map (db m33365) HM
A rich architectural history awaits as you explore Grand Canyon Village. Eclectic in nature, the village is a mix of early pioneer, Santa Fe Railroad, and National Park Service structures. Entrepreneurial-pioneers started building here in the early . . . — Map (db m95934) HM
In 1876 or 1877, Jim Thompson built a log cabin here and began cultivating the old Indian Gardens where the Indians had grown corn and squash long before Oak Creek was known to white men. Thompson remained here at his Indian Gardens Ranch until his . . . — Map (db m33203) HM
This mountain was named for a colorful mountaineer, guide, and trapper who is generally credited with being the first American to explore northern Arizona – 1830 or earlier. Williams lived at different times among the Osage and Ute Indians, . . . — Map (db m33418) HM
Welcome to Globe's Historic Downtown District, a designated Main Street City which once played a vital role in the saga of the Old West. We invite you to walk the steps of Historic Gila County Courthouse where you can enjoy the breathtaking . . . — Map (db m28048) HM
This pass was used by Kearny's Army of the West in a march to California in 1846. Guided by Kit Carson it was described in a journal of the trip as "Carson's Old Trail”. The pass led around the impassable canyon on the Gila River where . . . — Map (db m28045) HM
Named for Isadore Elkan Solomon, a pioneer settler, who in 1876 burned charcoal here for supplying fuel to the Lesinsky Brothers' Copper Smelter near Clifton. First Treasurer of Graham County. Early day merchant, postmaster, and one of the founders . . . — Map (db m28059) HM
Thomas Bouse was born in Mendecino County, California and came here about 1889 as a prospector and built the first two rooms of his home. He ran a small store here. He brought his wife, Katherine, and infant daughter here in 1892. Three more . . . — Map (db m29070) HM
General George Patton established Camp Bouse in 1943 in the Butler Valley as the site for training over 5,500 carefully screened and qualified volunteers. These soldiers were trained to use a highly secret weapon called the Canal Defense Light. . . . — Map (db m29165) HM
Gold and silver strikes in the 1860's created growth in the area. It is said Wyatt Earp served as sheriff of Cibola for one year in the 1890's. The town of Cibola formed in 1898 and construction began on a 16 mile canal to bring water from the river . . . — Map (db m78552) HM
Ferries of various size and design once provided transportation across the lower Colorado River linking Arizona with California, Nevada and Utah.
Ferrymen plied their trade from Yuma to Pearce Ferry. The first ferry on the river was started at . . . — Map (db m78553) HM
First used sometime after June 16, 1862. Some of Arizona's earliest pioneers, people of every race and moral persuasion, lie here in eternal peace. The last burial was on April 22, 1988. — Map (db m31827) HM
[ The single 30 foot concrete pillar of the monument symbolizes "unity of spirit". The hexagonal base represents a Japanese stone lantern. The 12 small pillars situated around the monument make it a working sundial. Mounted on the 30 foot pillar . . . — Map (db m32258) HM
Thomas P. Quinn, born in 1869 in New Jersey, had a mine near here and dug a cistern to catch water. He built a house just north of this sign and lived there until old age forced him to move to Bouse.
The remains of his cistern survive and . . . — Map (db m29068) HM
Harrisburg was established on this site in 1886 by Captain Charles Harris, and his partner Governor Fredrick Tritle, as a mill town to process ore from the Socorro and other mines in the area. By 1887 two mills were operating here.
The post . . . — Map (db m31821) HM
This desert town was made famous by the humor of Dick Wick Hall, healthseeker and operator of the laughing gas station. Hall's publication the Salome Sun was filled with extravagant tales of the desert's adaptation of species. He told of his frog . . . — Map (db m31824) HM
Historic A.J. Chandler Park
The centerpiece of Dr. A.J. Chandler’s town design in 1912 was a large, rectangular central park. In the early years, this park was covered in Bermuda grass, trees, and included footbridges over . . . — Map (db m70980) HM WM
This district is listed in the
of Historic Places
By the United States Department of the Interior
September 6, 2006
This District is part of Block 9 and 16 of the Hadsell's Addition. The District is . . . — Map (db m30498) HM
Department of the Interior.
Catlin Court was one of Glendale's earliest and most desirable neighborhoods. In 1914 Otto and Marie R. Hansen platted an eighty-acre tract of land and called it after Marie's maiden name. Bounded . . . — Map (db m30476) HM
This district is listed in the
of Historic Places
By the United States Department of the Interior
April 6, 2006
Flora Mae Statler, the daughter of Glendale pioneer Elder Charles E. Gillett, was born in . . . — Map (db m30496) HM
Settled in 1892, Glendale developed its own "downtown" where residents obtained the goods and services they needed. It was also where local farmers shipped the fruits, vegetables, and livestock they raised to national markets. Glendale blossomed . . . — Map (db m30474) HM
of Historic Places
Listed June 9, 1992
Department of the Interior.
Catlin Court was one of Glendale's early fashionable neighborhoods where mayors, merchants, doctors, ministers, builders and . . . — Map (db m30477) HM
In 1916, during World War I, patriotism was running high in our country and in the little town of Glendale. The citizens of Glendale were looking for a way to express their patriotism. Under the guidance of Mayor A. W. Bennett and town engineer, . . . — Map (db m30473) HM
of Historic Places
Listed April 9, 1998
Department of the Interior
Manistee Ranch a treasured Glendale landmark and was the long-time home of Louis M. Sands, a pioneer of modern Arizona cattle . . . — Map (db m30500) HM
Originally known as "The Park" or "City Park," Murphy Park has always been the center of downtown Glendale. The park's namesake, W. J. Murphy, established Glendale in 1892 and donated the park to the town in 1909. Residents protected the park as a . . . — Map (db m30432) HM
Born August 23, 1839 – New Harford, New York
Died April 17, 1923 – Phoenix, Arizona
Buried Greenwood Cemetery
W. J. Murphy
Murphy came to Arizona from Illinois in 1880, to build a section of the Atlantic and Pacific (Santa Fe) . . . — Map (db m30433) HM
Early in 1878 a hardy band of Mormon pioneers arrived on this mesa. With a straight edge and a spirit level they proved the feasibility of using the ancient Montezuma Canal to bring life-giving irrigation water from the Salt River to the desert . . . — Map (db m27551) HM
Land that was to become the Story Neighborhood (bounded by McDowell Road, Roosevelt Street, 7th Avenue, and Grand Avenue) was purchased in 1887 and 1906 by Francis Q. Story, a horticulturist known as the "father of the Sunkist Orange." Serious . . . — Map (db m39413) HM
The first meetinghouse in Phoenix for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) was built on this site by the three-hundred-member congregation of the Phoenix Ward. At the time, J. Robert Price was bishop.
Since their beginning . . . — Map (db m27613) HM
Established in 1871, when the Salt River was a flowing stream and a barrier to travel the ferry was held on course by a wire cable taut across the river. It was an important link in settling the southwest.
Built and operated by
Charles . . . — Map (db m27584) HM
Here, Jacob Waltz (The Old Dutchman) Arizona’s most celebrated scoundrel, laid the cornerstone for this here eatery. Waltz was a notorious liar, drunkard and general miscreant who avoided gainful employment with singular dedication. . . . — Map (db m93150) HM
Discovered in 1863 by
Henry Wickenburg and his Burro
To supply the needs of the mines and protecting military camps, the Salt River Valley irrigated agricultural industry was developed. The Vulture Mine produced 10 millions in gold and was the . . . — Map (db m29477) HM
Commercial steamship transportation on the Colorado River was of great importance from 1852 through 1877. It served the mining communities of Northern Arizona. Cargo was unloaded at Hardyville, 1 ½ miles south of this point, sometimes returning . . . — Map (db m29338) HM
This cemetery remains as the last vestige of the pioneer settlement of Hardyville founded in 1864 by William R Hardy, the town served as an important ferry crossing, steamboat landing, shipping point for area mines and as the Mohave County Seat from . . . — Map (db m29339) HM
William H. Hardy founded Hardyville in 1864. It became Mohave County Seat in 1872. Hardyville remained an important mining, shipping and river crossing center to the turn of the 20th century. Many adobe buildings, erected by Hardy, stood here when . . . — Map (db m33135) HM
Western anchor of a military road across Northern Arizona. Near here in 1858 Beale's camel expedition was ferried across the Colorado River on the steamer General Jessup. The fort was abandoned at the start of the Civil War. Was activated again in . . . — Map (db m32207) HM
Founded in 1862 with the discovery of silver, Chloride became the first mining town of the Cerbat Mountains. During it's heyday, 1900 to 1920, the population swelled to over 2000 with 75 mines in operation. Chloride was the first incorporated town . . . — Map (db m31845) HM
This camp, established March 25, 1871 by Company F, 12th Infantry commanded by Capt. Thomas Bryne, was located at a spring used by Indians for centuries. It was named for Navy Lt. Edward F Beale who established a wagon road along the 35th parallel. . . . — Map (db m29411) HM
In Memory of
Our Hualapai Ancestors
Who Fought Against Cultural Genocide
With Bravery and Foresight
They Sacrificed Their Lives
So The Hualapai People's
Survival May Continue
Today And Forever…
This location was a . . . — Map (db m36013) HM
Established Camp Beale's Springs about one mile north, March 25, 1871. For the protection of settlers and travelers on northern route. Served as Hualapais Indian Agency. Military Camp abandoned April 6, 1874. — Map (db m29358) HM
Formerly known as Indian Secret Mining District or Silverado, the White Hills Mining Camp started in the 1890's. The mines were rich producers of silver, especially horn silver, also called chloride silver. This large community was devastated by a . . . — Map (db m31880) HM
"We are now friends with England and with all Mankind."
Written by Benjamin Franklin, American Peace
Commissioner in Paris, following the signing of the peace treaty ending the American Revolution
With American and . . . — Map (db m31843) HM
Robert P. McCulloch, Sr, Founder
C.V. Wood, Jr., Master Planner
London Bridge was purchased from the city of London on April 18, 1968 for $2,460,000.00. It took three years and another $4,500,000.00 to transport and build the bridge. The . . . — Map (db m31841) HM
Fifteen miles east in the Black Mountains, is the historic Oatman mining district. Many original buildings still exist in the ghost town site. The Tom Reed United Eastern Gold Road and other mines produced more than thirty million dollars of gold . . . — Map (db m31903) HM
Named for a migrating pioneer family attacked and killed by Indians near Gila Bend, Arizona, in 1851.
Some fifty mines operated in the Oatman area. From its beginning in 1904 and through 1931, the Oatman district produced $36,000,000 in ore. . . . — Map (db m29464) HM
Oatman was founded around 1906 as part of Arizona's richest gold mining area. Oatman was reborn in the late 1960's and early 1970's as a tourist town. The main attraction was the wild burro herd. The burros roaming the Oatman area are descendants of . . . — Map (db m78570) HM
The dark coating on the boulder below you is desert varnish – a concentration of mineral, clay, and organic material that accumulates over time. Prehistoric artists created rock art by exposing the lighter material underneath. But what do . . . — Map (db m68891) HM
The black basalt that caps the cliffs before you stands in stark contrast to the colorful Chinle Formation visible throughout the Painted Desert.
Below this layer of basalt, a horizontal line cuts across the face of the mesa and separates rocks . . . — Map (db m68901) HM
From Pintado Point, vistas of remarkable clarity extend far beyond boundaries because the air quality in the surrounding Petrified Forest is among the purest in the continental United States. At times, the San Francisco Peaks, 120 miles (193 km) . . . — Map (db m68903) HM
U.S. Army Lt. Amiel Whipple, surveying for a railroad route along the 35th Parallel about one mile south of here, passed down the broad sandy wash below in December 1853. Impressed with the deposits of petrified wood visible along the banks, Whipple . . . — Map (db m72924) HM
Approximately 225 million years ago, during the Triassic Period, a floodplain existed here – littered with fallen trees. Periodic flooding buried the logs beneath layers of silt. Over time, silica-laden waters filtered through these deposits . . . — Map (db m68870) HM
Did you notice where the trail passed over the faint outlines of the rooms? Over 100 rooms formed a one-story apartment complex surrounding a central plaza in the village. The building materials for the pueblo were blocks of native sandstone, shaped . . . — Map (db m68887) HM
Petrified Forest is a laboratory where scientists study not only the fossil record, but the records of earlier discoveries by naturalists and paleontologists.
Interest in the area’s fossils goes back to 1853, when a U.S. Army expedition . . . — Map (db m68873) HM
A solstice is an astronomical event that happens twice annually as the Sun reaches its highest or lowest point in the sky. Here in the Northern Hemisphere, June 20th is usually the longest day of the year and is referred to as the summer solstice. . . . — Map (db m68888) HM
The Painted Desert stretches before you as an outdoor museum of fossilized plants and animals. Its striking colors emanate from the Chinle Formation of the Late Triassic, which has been eroded by the Little Colorado River drainage system.
An . . . — Map (db m68896) HM
The dry plateau lands of this region today are far different from the tree-littered floodplains of 225 million years ago during the geologic period called the Triassic. Imagine a forested Triassic land where crocodile-like phytosaurs inhabited the . . . — Map (db m68868) HM
The village on the Rio Puerco (Puerco Pueblo) is a prehistoric settlement built of shaped sandstone blocks by ancestral Puebloan people. It was inhabited between A.D. 1250 and 1380. At its peak the pueblo had over 100 rooms, with a possible . . . — Map (db m68881) HM
For thousands of years, indigenous people have used rock faces as means of communication. Petroglyphs are images, symbols, or designs scratched, pecked, carved, or incised on the surface of rock. These features are like whispers from the past and . . . — Map (db m68893) HM
This area was dedicated on September 11, 1999 as a tribute to the memorable song of the 1970's that made Winslow, Arizona a town to sing about on famous Route 66.
Route 66 Roadside Attraction
Recognized by Hampton Hotels Save-A-Landmark . . . — Map (db m36329) HM
Pursuant to judgement rendered in the Superior Court of the State of Arizona, in and for the County of Pima, Case no. 30813, The bodies of persons buried in the Old Clarkston Cemetery which lay approximately 1700 feet northwest of this point, have . . . — Map (db m82935) HM
Americans first worked the copper deposits at Ajo in 1854, one year after the Gadsden Purchase. These early American miners found abandoned workings and crude mining tools as mute evidence of earlier mining in the district.
During the next half . . . — Map (db m30802) HM
Ajo was first located on the ground that later became the open pit mine.
The modern city was founded in its present location in 1917 coincident with the beginning of large scale mining of the copper deposits.
Ajo is the home of the New . . . — Map (db m30759) HM
Tucson Air Museum Foundation
of Pima County
Titan II Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Museum
Established May 8, 1986
571st SMS, 390th SMW
Strategic Alert July 1963 – November 1982
National . . . — Map (db m26926) HM
This is a Papago word meaning, mountain shaped like a carrying basket.
Discovery of a pocket of gold and silver ore led to a fabulous boom development here in 1883.
The desert has reclaimed the original site and its suburbs of Logan City, New . . . — Map (db m7002) HM
Memorial to Pedro Allande, first resident commander of the Royal Presidio of Tucson and energetic captain of the Mexican Dragoons, regular Spanish army. Near this site he was wounded severely in his right leg during the attack of May 1, 1782, by 600 . . . — Map (db m82943) HM
This ground was the location
First Municipal Airport
The Tucson City Council approved the
financing for the airport, July 21, 1919
the City of Tucson in cooperation . . . — Map (db m8432) HM
Tucson City Engineer ― J. Mos Ruthrauff
Design Engineer ― L. R. Walker
Contractor ― Bent Brothers
In 1913, in an effort to separate pedestrians, vehicles, bicycles and wagons from trains, the City of Tucson embarked on a . . . — Map (db m31526) HM
Mission San Xavier del Bac was founded by the Jesuit missionary, Fr. Eusebio Kino in 1692. The present church was built under the direction of the Franciscans. Construction began in 1783 and was completed in 1797.
The church continues to . . . — Map (db m83206) HM
The largest plaza within the Spanish presidio of San Agustin del Tucson, founded in 1775, this area was originally used for military formations and drill. After construction of the first Pima County courthouse (1870), the name was changed to Court . . . — Map (db m83209) HM
Once an open space, this area was within the original Spanish presidio. The plaza was probably named in the Mexican years (1821-1854), when soldiers drilled here. Saddle horses for the troops were stabled along the north side, next to the presidio . . . — Map (db m83210) HM
This marker locates the northwest corner of the adobe wall which surrounded the Royal Spanish Presidio San Agustín del Tucson. In 1776 the new outpost was garrisoned by seventy Spanish cavalry troopers and Indian scouts, transferred from Tubac under . . . — Map (db m83212) HM
Below this 2900-foot peak the Santa Cruz valley was farmed by the Hóhokam Indians as early as 800 A.D. When the Spaniards arrived in the 17th century, the Hóhokam had vanished and settlements of Piman people dotted the valley. One called . . . — Map (db m83216) HM
The Bluebird Mine and Gift Shop was been known as the ghost town of Goldfield since 1947. When George (Red) Monagan reopened Goldfield by reestablishing the name and town with the Bluefield Mine Pop Stand. Red gave life to Goldfield in 1947 making . . . — Map (db m93059) HM
During its heyday from 1893 to 1898 when $1,000,000 in gold was mined from this area about 300 people dwelt here with majestic Superstition Mtn. in the background. 300 ft. south of this sign is the old Bluebird Mine found in the gold rush of 1893. A . . . — Map (db m93058) HM
The Casa Grande is the most prominent remnant of an ancient civilization that once occupied the Salt and Gila River valleys from A.D. 300-1450. Archeologists call these people Hohokam, a Pima word meaning "those who are gone."
The Hohokam were . . . — Map (db m32438) HM
This memorial is dedicated to the men and women who served our county in war and peace and to a significant era of rich local history.
Camp Florence, an army training facility, once occupied the grounds now known as "Four Parks".
Beginning in . . . — Map (db m32440) HM
Edward Nye Fish, prominent Tucson merchant, and his partner/manager Joseph Collingwood, first Florence postmaster, opened Florence's first store in this building in 1868.
Building additions from 1867 to 1888 formed a U-shaped complex, and . . . — Map (db m26708) HM
Dr. George Huffman built this large, two-story Bungalow-style adobe house to accommodate his family and his medical practice. Surgical rooms were located on the first floor with rooms for patients upstairs. Square pillars support full-width porches. . . . — Map (db m32439) HM
The Gila River north of this site marked the international border of the United States and Mexico from 1848 to 1854. James Gadsden negotiated to purchase 38,000 sq. miles of "wild country" for $15 million in gold. Amended to $10 million for 29,640 . . . — Map (db m33692) HM
Here the first Government Indian School was established for Pimas and Maricopas in 1871, with Rev. Charles H. Cook as teacher. It was the location of Pima villages, friendly resting place for travelers during the Mexican War and the Gold Rush. It . . . — Map (db m33688) HM
Here the first Government Indian School was established for Pimas and Maricopas in 1871, with Rev. Charles H. Cook as teacher. It was the location of Pima villages, friendly resting place for travelers during the Mexican War and the Gold Rush. It . . . — Map (db m33691) HM
Isaac Lorraine, discoverer of the American Flag gold and silver mine, built this adobe house about 1877. It served as his residence and headquarters for nearby mining and ranching operations. On December 20, 1880, it became the first post office in . . . — Map (db m29898) HM
The Mormon Battalion of the U.S. Army camped here enroute to California December 17, 1846. During the war with Mexico, on the longest infantry march of record, they were first to unfurl the flag of the United States in Tucson.
This marker . . . — Map (db m92383) HM
This was the northern boundary of Baca Float Number 3, one of five 100,000-acre grants made to the Baca family, in exchange for land taken from them in New Mexico. An attempt was made to relocate this grant to include mines in the Santa Rita . . . — Map (db m27152) HM
Originally an Indian village, Tubac is the oldest European settlement in Arizona. It was established as the Royal Spanish Presidio San Ignacio de Tubac in 1752, after an uprising of Pima Indians. In 1775 Captain Juan Bautista de Anza led an . . . — Map (db m27119) HM
4283 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers were listed. Next 4033