Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Government Historical Markers

1935 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers are listed. Next 1685
Autauga County Courthouse image, Click for more information
By Tim Carr, August 1, 2009
Autauga County Courthouse
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — A County Older Than the State, Autauga County
Created in 1818 by an act of Alabama Territorial Legislature. Autauga Indians lived on creek from which the county takes its name. Autaugas were members of the Alibamo tribe. They sent many warriors to resist Andrew Jackson's invasion in . . . — Map (db m27907) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Daniel Pratt Cemetery / George Cooke
(Front): Daniel Pratt CemeteryFinal resting place of early Alabama industrialist Daniel Pratt, 1799-1873, and wife Esther Ticknor Pratt, 1803-1875. He was from New Hampshire and she, Connecticut. Married 1827 at Fortville, Jones County, . . . — Map (db m27957) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Clayton — Barbour County / Early Barbour County Commissioners
Barbour County On this site in 1833 was erected the first Barbour County Court House, a round log building 20 feet square. The first county seat was located at Louisville which had previously served as the county seat of Pike. This old Pike . . . — Map (db m81857) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — Old Negro Cemetery / Fairview Cemetery
Front Interred on this gently sloping hillside are the remains of many of Eufaula’s early black citizens. Their names are known only to God because the wooden grave markers which located the burials have long since vanished. This burying . . . — Map (db m27987) HM
Alabama (Blount County), Blountsville — Blountsville
1820-1889 seat of Blount County a county older than the State. Named for Tennessee Governor W. G. Blount who sent Andrew Jackson to aid Alabama settlers in Creek Indian War, 1812-1814. Indian Chief Bear Meat lived here at crossing of . . . — Map (db m28038) HM
Alabama (Blount County), Blountsville — None — Blountsville Court Square Timeline
1813: Colonel John Coffee and 800 Tennessee Volunteers see Bear Meat Cabin Cherokee Settlement near Blountsville 1816: Town settles around square 1820: Newly named Blountsville becomes county seat 1827: Town incorporated with Trustee System . . . — Map (db m49176) HM
Alabama (Blount County), Locust Fork — Gabriel Hanby, 1786-1826← Grave and Homesite 300 Yards
Member Constitutional Convention 1819 First Senator of Blount County Brigadier General, Alabama Militia County road and court systems organized at his house 1820. — Map (db m32484) HM
Alabama (Blount County), Oneonta — Blount CountyA County Older Than the State
Created Feb. 7, 1818 by Alabama Territorial Legislature from lands ceded by the Creek Indian Nation. Named for the Tennessee Governor W. G. Blount, who sent militia under Andrew Jackson to punish the Creeks for Fort Mims massacre. Jackson fought and . . . — Map (db m24353) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Jacksonville — Intendants and Mayors of Jacksonville
From 1836 to 1881 the head of the City Government carried the title of Intendant. After that that the office has been filled by the Mayor. The following have served in this capacity: William Harrison Fleming, 1836-49, 1859-61 John D. Hoke, . . . — Map (db m36533) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Jacksonville — JacksonvilleFirst County Seat — Calhoun County, 1833-99
Town first called Drayton. Renamed in 1834 to honor President Andrew Jackson. Seat moved to Anniston in 1899. Calhoun Co. originally was Benton Co., for Col. T. H. Benton, Creek War officer, later U. S. Senator from Missouri. . . . — Map (db m36471) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Jacksonville — Thomas A. Walker1811-1888
Prominent citizen of Jacksonville who served Alabama as Brigadier General, State Militia; member Legislature and Pres. of Senate; Circuit Court Judge; and Pres. Ala. and Tenn. Railroad He owned extensive cotton plantations and mining interests . . . — Map (db m29921) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Piedmont — Cross Plains - Piedmont
Cross Plains citizens voted for incorporation March 10, 1871. A second vote was cast for reincorporation May 15, 1882. By the acts of the Alabama Legislature of 1888, Cross Plains became Piedmont September 30, 1888. Mayors for both Cross Plains and . . . — Map (db m27992) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), LaFayette — Chambers County
Chambers County, created December 18, 1832 from Creek Indian cession. Named for Dr. Henry C. Chambers of Madison County, member of Constitutional Convention 1819, legislature of 1820, elected U.S. Senator 1825 but died enroute to Washington. . . . — Map (db m18162) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Grove Hill — Clarke County Courthouse
Clarke County established 1812. Named for General John Clarke of Georgia. County Seat moved here 1832 from Clarksville to Grove Hill, then known as Macon. — Map (db m47655) HM
Alabama (Clay County), Lineville — John Richmond McCain
Teacher   Lawyer   Statesman He spent his life largely in promoting the welfare of others 1865   1939 Map (db m95079) HM
Alabama (Cleburne County), Heflin — Cleburne County
Cleburne County was created December 6, 1866, and was named for Confederate Major General Patrick R. Cleburne. He was born March 17, 1828 in Ireland. He was the South's highest-ranking foreign-born officer and one of the best of any nationality. . . . — Map (db m83273) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Belle Mont
Built between 1828 and 1832, Belle Mont is a foremost example of Jeffersonian Palladian Architecture in the deep south and one of Alabama's first great plantation houses. It was build for Dr. Alexander W. Mitchell, a native of Virginia, and a . . . — Map (db m29561) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Colbert County Courthouse Square District
22 structures, first Northwest Alabama historic district placed on National Register of Historic Places (1973): Courthouse, erected 1881, shows Italianate and Greek Revival influences. Fifth Street, Commercial Row, seven adjoining brick structures . . . — Map (db m28584) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Howell Thomas Heflin1921~2005
Howell Thomas Heflin retired from a lifetime of distinguished public service in 1997, having served Alabama in the U.S. Senate for three consecutive terms. There he was known as a national leader on judicial, agricultural, defense, and space issues. . . . — Map (db m28586) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — William Winston Home
Construction on the home which became the center building of Deshler High School was begun in 1824 by Clark T. Barton. William Winston purchased and completed the Georgian-style dwelling in 1833. The largest remaining antebellum house in Tuscumbia, . . . — Map (db m28565) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusia — Andalusia City Hall / Three Notch School
Andalusia City Hall Today, the Andalusia City Hall houses city government offices and is a host site for meetings and special events. Modern information, technology, and communications of city government mesh with the original . . . — Map (db m94169) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Ozark — Historic Bell
Erected on this site by the Dale County Commission, this bell is made of brass and hung in the clock tower of the courthouse from its completion in 1902 until it was torn down in 1968. The bell was made in 1902 by McShane Bell Foundry Company of . . . — Map (db m36565) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — Cahaba First State Capital1818-1826
This stone marks the site of Cahaba, selected November 21, 1818 as the first permanent capital of Alabama. The seat of goverment remaining here until removed to Tuscaloosa by the Legislature, January 1825. On December 13, 1819, it was fixed as . . . — Map (db m22609) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — Dallas County Courthouse
The grassed over mound of brick before you was once Dallas County's courthouse. This courthouse was built in 1834. It was dismantled prior to 1905 by brick salvagers. Cahawba was the county seat from 1818 to 1866. This brought a lot of people, . . . — Map (db m23010) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — Site of Alabama's Statehouse1820 - 1825
This structure collapsed in 1833 and its fallen remains were reportedly heaped into a railroad embankment. Consequently, we have no picture of the Statehouse that was drawn by someone who actually saw the building. Any modern picture you see of this . . . — Map (db m75909) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — The Duke of Cahaba
In 1889, Samuel and Sarah Kirkpatrick moved to Selma, leaving their farm and house in the capable hands of their son Clifton (1863-1930). He turned the abandoned remains of Alabama's first capital into a showcase farm of diversified, scientific . . . — Map (db m23005) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Mabry - Jones Home
This Greek Revival dwelling was built c. 1850 by Dr. Albert Gallatin Mabry, a prominent physician and member of the Alabama Legislature. Dr. Mabry was a leader in organizing the Alabama State Medical Association and instrumental in passing . . . — Map (db m83580) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — Etowah County, Alabama
Created by state legislature on December 1, 1868 from territory taken from Cherokee, DeKalb, Marshall, Blount, St. Clair and Calhoun Counties, having originally been formed December 7, 1866 as Baine County in honor of Confederate hero David W. . . . — Map (db m83735) HM
Alabama (Greene County), Eutaw — A County Older Than The State, Greene County
Named for Revolutionary hero, General Nathaniel Greene, who drove British from Southeast. Area explored by DeSoto, 1540. Claimed as French Louisiana, 1699. Ceded to England, 1763. Ceded by Choctaw Nation, 1816. Made a territorial . . . — Map (db m37962) HM
Alabama (Greene County), Eutaw — Welcome to Eutaw, Alabama: The Gateway To The Black BeltCounty Seat of Greene County
In 1838, Greene County citizens voted to change the town seat from Erie to Eutaw. The City of Eutaw, Alabama was incorporated as a town by an act of the State Legislature on January 2, 1841. Greene County had been named for General Nathaniel Greene. . . . — Map (db m83752) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Greensboro — Magnolia Grove
Birthplace, ancestral home of Richard Pearson Hobson 1870-1937 Spanish - American War Hero Admiral Hobson, as naval officer, Statesman, lecturer and author, Urged national preparedness: Championed human welfare causes. Alabama made . . . — Map (db m83755) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Dothan — 1905 Houston County Courthouse Bell
This bell rang over the streets of Dothan from 1905 until 1960 when it was saved from demolition by Dewey Emfinger. It was loaned to Houston County for display in 2006 by the Emfinger family in honor of Dewey and Beatrice Emfinger. Thank you to . . . — Map (db m83779) HM
Alabama (Jackson County), Scottsboro — Gen. Andrew JacksonSoldier, Statesman, 7th President U.S.A.
Jackson County was created by the State Legislature on December 13, 1819 while in session in Huntsville, Ala. The county was named in honor of Gen. Andrew Jackson who was visiting in Huntsville at the time. This Statue was presented by the . . . — Map (db m22262) HM
Alabama (Jackson County), Scottsboro — Jackson County Courthouse And The Scottsboro Boys
Marker front: Constructed in 1911-1912 and designed by architect Richard H. Hunt, the Jackson County Courthouse is a Neo-Classical, brick building situated on a town square in Scottsboro, the county seat of Jackson County. The front, . . . — Map (db m22264) HM
Alabama (Jackson County), Scottsboro — Robert Thomas Scott1800-1863
Planter, tavern operator, newspaper editor, legislator, and land developer, he sought in vain to have the Jackson County seat moved from Bellefont to the settlement that bore his name. After his death in 1863, his widow reached an agreement in 1868 . . . — Map (db m22260) HM
Alabama (Jackson County), Woodville — Decatur County1821~1825
Created by an Act of the Legislature on December 7, 1821, Decatur County was comprised of portions of Madison and Jackson Counties. "Old Woodville," two miles north along County Highway 7, was designated as the County Seat. An 1823-‘24 completed . . . — Map (db m33314) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Concord CenterTime Capsule
To Be Opened March 1, 2022 Dedicated at the construction completion March 1, 2002 Project Team Owners - BLH Group, LLC Brookmont Investors II, LLC Spire Holdings, LLC Developer - Brookmont Realty Group, LLC General . . . — Map (db m27010) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — East Lake Community
The Creek Indian Cession of 1814 opened this section of Alabama to settlement. At the time of statehood in 1819 many pioneer families had located here in what later became known as Jones Valley. By 1820 the area was called Ruhama Valley as a result . . . — Map (db m26680) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Jefferson County Courthouse Site
The county seat of Jefferson County was moved from Elyton to Birmingham in 1873. On this site stood the first Courthouse in the City of Birmingham. The Italianate style structure was designed by architect W. K. Ball. Completed in 1875, the two-story . . . — Map (db m27095) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Jefferson County Courthouses
Side A Territorial legislature designated home of Maj. Moses Kelly (in Jones Valley) as site of first court in this area of Alabama, 1818. After creation of Jefferson County, 1819, court held at Carrollsville (Powderly) until county seat . . . — Map (db m25743) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Lane Park
In 1822 William Pullen, Revolutionary War veteran, acquired this land from the Federal Government for farming. In 1889 his heirs sold the land to the City of Birmingham for use as the New Southside Cemetery which operated from 1889 to 1909 with . . . — Map (db m27096) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — North Birmingham
On October 1, 1886, the North Birmingham Land Company was formed to develop a planned industrial and residential town on 900 acres of land, formerly part of the Alfred Nathaniel Hawkins plantation north of Village Creek. The plan included sites for . . . — Map (db m26700) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Trussville — Cahaba Project"Slagheap Village" — A government project under President Franklin D. Roosevelt
A total of 243 houses and 44 duplex units were constructed from 1936 - 1938 at an overall cost of $2,661,981.26. Cahaba residents rented from the government until 1947, when the houses and duplexes were sold to individuals at prices ranging from . . . — Map (db m26227) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Trussville — Trussville
The Town of Trussville was named for the Truss Family who emigrated from North Carolina in the early 1820's. Trussville was incorporated in 1947. The present City Hall was constructed in 1959 on land patented in 1821 by Warren Truss. — Map (db m26225) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — General Arthur E. Brown, Jr.City of Florence Walk of Honor
A 1953 graduate of West Point, Gen. Brown culminated a 36-year military career as Director of the Army Staff (1983-1987) and Vice-Chief of Staff of the U.S. Army (1987-1989). — Map (db m29267) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — John McKinley Associate Justice, U.S. Supreme Court
John McKinley (1780~1852), native of Virginia, prominent attorney, member of Cypress Land Company, built a large three story mansion near this site in 1820's which later burned. McKinley served in Alabama Legislature, U.S. Senate (1826~31); was . . . — Map (db m28926) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Justice John McKinley Federal Building
Side A Named for Alabama's first United States Supreme Court Justice, John McKinley made his home in Florence, Alabama from about 1821 to 1842. Born May 1, 1780 in Culpepper County, Virginia, he died July 19, 1852 and is buried in . . . — Map (db m28930) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Ronnie Gene FlippoCity of Florence Walk of Honor
In his 14 years in the U.S. House of Representatives (1977-1991), Ronnie Flippo held such important posts as the chairmanship of the Space Science Subcommittee during the development of the space shuttle, Columbia. — Map (db m84045) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Courtland — The African ~ American Experience
Marker Front: African~Americans played a very significant role in the early history of Courtland. Most came as slaves from the older southern states to help clear the land, to plant crops of cotton and corn, and to serve as household . . . — Map (db m29009) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Wheeler — Home of Gen. Joseph Wheeler1836~1906
. . . — Map (db m76952) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Lee County Courthouse / Lee County Probate Judges
(side a) Lee County Courthouse Lee County was created from portions of Russell, Macon, Chambers and Tallapoosa by act of the Alabama Legislature, approved December 5, 1866. The County’s first election was held January 21, 1867. . . . — Map (db m85171) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Capshaw — Nicholas Davis
Born April 23, 1781 in Hanover Co. Virginia, married there to Martha Hargrave of a wealthy Quaker family. He served as U.S. Marshall and in other positions. Moved to Kentucky in 1808. Was a Captain in the WAR OF 1812 and became a political and . . . — Map (db m29284) HM
Alabama (Lowndes County), Hayneville — Town of Hayneville
In the 1820s, Hayneville was known as "Big Swamp." In 1830, after being chosen as the county seat of Lowndes County, it was named Hayneville for Robert Y. Hayne, governor of South Carolina and a U.S. senator. The incorporation of Hayneville as a . . . — Map (db m85459) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Brownsboro — Trail of TearsDrane/Hood Overland Route
In May 1838 soldiers, under the command of U.S. Army General Winfield Scott, began rounding up Cherokee Indians in this area who had refused to move to Indian Territory in Oklahoma. About 16,000 Cherokees were placed in stockades in Tennessee and . . . — Map (db m33318) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Alabama’s Constitution And Statehood
Before statehood, the Alabama Territory had only limited rights of self government. Between July 5 and August 2, 1819, forty-four delegates from across the Territory convened in Huntsville to draft a constitution for statehood. Lawyers, merchants, . . . — Map (db m26592) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Calhoun House
On this site stood the Calhoun House, used as a Federal Courthouse, where desperado Frank James was tried and found not guilty, by jury trial, on April 25, 1884, for robbery of a government payroll near Muscle Shoals, Alabama, March 11, 1881. One of . . . — Map (db m27771) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — First Bank In AlabamaPlanters And Merchants Bank of Huntsville — Housed on this site in brick building
Housed on this site in brick building 44 ft. x 54 ft Chartered by Mississippi Territorial Legislature December 11, 1816 Commenced operations October 17, 1817, shortly thereafter made depository for Huntsville Federal Land Office funds. . . . — Map (db m27785) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Howard Weeden Home
Built 1819 by H. C. Bradford, this home was later owned by John Read, John McKinley, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court (1837-1852), Bartley M. Lowe, M. C. Betts and Marie Howard Weeden (1846-1905) whose poetry and paintings preserve nineteenth . . . — Map (db m27841) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Huntsville
City was scene of these "firsts" in Alabama: 1811 first town incorporated 1812 first Masonic Lodge chartered 1816 first bank incorporated 1819 first state constitution drafted 1819 first Governor inaugurated 1819 first session of . . . — Map (db m27843) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Madison County
Made a county in 1808 by order of Governor of Mississippi Territory. Area ceded 1805, 1806 by Cherokees, Chickasaws. This was the first land in Alabama ceded by these great civilized tribes. — Map (db m27848) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Site - Alabama’s First Constitutional Convention
Here, on July 5, 1819 forty-four delegates from twenty-two Counties in the Alabama Territory met to frame a State Constitution which was accepted and signed August 2, 1819. Convention leadership was furnished by two Huntsvillians, John Williams . . . — Map (db m27902) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Site The Huntsville InnA three-story brick building erected before 1817
Here, President James Monroe was honored at a public dinner on June 2, 1819, while on a three-day visit to the Alabama Territory. Here, also, the First Alabama Legislature convened on October 25, 1819, while Huntsville was the first Capital. — Map (db m27851) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Tallulah Bankhead / I. Schiffman Building1902-1968 / Birthplace of Tallulah Bankhead — Alabama’s Best-Known Actress
Side A Tallulah Bankhead was the toast of the London theatre in the 1920's, and nationally renowned for her dramatic roles in “The Little Foxes” (1939), “The Skin of Our Teeth” (1942), the movie . . . — Map (db m27850) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Madison — "The Roundhouse"
This building is a replica of Madison's first city hall and is constructed on the original site of the Madison Depot, it was build in the late 1800's while Capt. John Buchanan Floyd, a Confederate veteran, was mayor. "The Roundhouse" served as the . . . — Map (db m85835) HM
Alabama (Monroe County), Monroeville — A County Older Than The StateMonroe County
Created in 1815 by proclamation of Governor of Mississippi Territory from lands ceded by Creek Indians in Treaty of Ft. Jackson, 1814. Named for President James Monroe, fifth President of U.S.., 1817-25, who purchased Florida from Spain, . . . — Map (db m47695) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Alabama Governor's MansionBuilt 1907
For almost the first century of statehood, Alabama's governors lived in private homes or hotels while in office. In 1911 the state acquired the Moses Sable home on South Perry Street for the governor's residence. Lined with fine houses, Perry was . . . — Map (db m25413) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Alabama Highway Patrol
At this location the Alabama Highway Patrol was commissioned by Governor Bibb Graves Jan. 10, 1936 — Map (db m36638) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Black Members of the Alabama Legislature Who Served During The Reconstruction Period of 1868-1879
1868-1869: Senate: Benjamin F. Royal, Bullock; House: Benjamin Alexander, Greene; James H. Alston, Macon; Samuel Blandon, Lee; John Carraway, Mobile; George Cox, Montgomery; Thomas H. Diggs, . . . — Map (db m91290) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery’s Slave Markets / First Emancipation Observance - 1866
Side A The city’s slave market was at the Artesian Basin (Court Square). Slaves of all ages were auctioned, along with land and livestock, standing in line to be inspected. Public posters advertised sales and included gender, approximate . . . — Map (db m28187) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Frank M. Johnson, Jr. Federal Building and US Courthouse
Side 1 Named in honor of Judge Frank M. Johnson, Jr. (1918-1999), who served here as U.S. District Judge from 1955-1979, as U.S. Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit July 12, 1979 - October 1, 1981, and . . . — Map (db m71266) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — A County Older Than The State, Morgan County
Alabama Territorial Legislature created this county in 1818 from lands ceded by Cherokee Indians in 1816. County first named Cotaco, for large creek in county. Named Morgan County in 1821 for Maj. Gen. Daniel Morgan, Revolutionary hero, winner over . . . — Map (db m27759) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Somerville — First Permanent Court House, Morgan County
Built circa 1837 with special taxes levied for that purpose by Alabama Legislature, 1836. Replaced first court house, built circa 1825. Somerville was incorporated, 1819, county seat 1819-1891. Cotaco County created February 8, 1818, renamed . . . — Map (db m27758) HM
Alabama (Pickens County), Carrollton — Pickens County CourthouseErected 1877-78
Pickens County, named for General Andrew Pickens of South Carolina, was established December 19, 1820. First County Site was Pickensville. On March 5, 1830, the government awarded 80 acres of land at Carrollton for the County Site. The first . . . — Map (db m22178) HM
Alabama (Randolph County), Wedowee — Site of the Home of William Hugh SmithLegislator, Governor
An opponent of secession, he fled north in 1862. Returning after the Civil War, he was elected first governor under the Constitution of 1868 and served one two-year term. He was one of three Republican governors. — Map (db m19015) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Crawford — CrockettsvilleCrawford, Alabama
The community of Crockettsville was settled at about the time Russell County was formed in 1832. Among the first settlers were Jerry Segar and Green Sewell. It was named in honor of David "Davy" Crockett who served as a scout in Andrew Jackson's . . . — Map (db m33541) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — John Crowell
Marker Front: Near here is the site where John Crowell lived, died, and is interred. Colonel Crowell was born in Halifax County, North Carolina, on September 18, 1780; moved to Alabama in 1815, having been appointed as Agent of the United . . . — Map (db m26116) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Seale — Old Russell County Courthouse
During the Federal occupation of the former Confederate States of America, the Alabama Legislature created Lee County primarily from the northern half of Russell County in 1866 and ordered the selection of the county seat "more centrally located." . . . — Map (db m53160) HM
Alabama (Saint Clair County), Ashville — A County Older Than The State, St. Clair CountyCreated in 1818 in first session of Alabama Territorial Legislature
from lands ceded by Creek Indian Nation in Treaty of Ft. Jackson, 1814. Named for Gen. Arthur St. Clair, hero of Revolution, governor of Northwest Territory. First settlers from Tennessee, Georgia - veterans of Creek Indian War, 1813-14. . . . — Map (db m28143) HM
Alabama (Saint Clair County), Margaret — None — Town of Margaret
Margaret traces its roots to the Alabama Fuel & Iron Company, which organized in the early 1900s and developed Margaret coal mines under the leadership of its president Henry F. DeBardeleben. Named after DeBardeleben’s wife Margaret, the town was . . . — Map (db m50759) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Columbiana — Shelby County Courthouse1854-1908
Original seat of government of Shelby County established 1818 at Shelbyville (Pelham). Moved to Columbiana 1826. First courthouse a small wooden building located on this site. Replaced 1854 by two-story brick structure which forms central portion . . . — Map (db m24203) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Pelham — Shelbyville, A. T.
Near this site stood Shelbyville, A. T., first county seat of Shelby County; named for Isaac Shelby, governor of Tennessee. Shelby County was established February 7, 1818 by an act of the Alabama Territorial legislature. The first orphans’ court was . . . — Map (db m28441) HM
Alabama (Sumter County), Livingston — Livingston, Alabama / Livingston's Bored Well
Side 1 Livingston, Alabama Prior to the signing of the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek on September 27, 1830, this site belonged to the Choctaw Nation. Early settlers to the area came from the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee, and . . . — Map (db m92665) HM
Alabama (Talladega County), Talladega — Auburn University And Birmingham-Southern College Began In Talladega, 1854
By action of the Alabama Conference of The Methodist Episcopal Church, South in session at Talladega, December 13-18, 1854, Auburn University and Birmingham - Southern College were born. The delegation resolved to “have a college within the . . . — Map (db m28202) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Dadeville — Johnson J. Hooper1815 - 1861
Author, Editor, Lawyer Secretary of Congress, C.S.A. As a writer he created Captain Simon Suggs of the Tallapoosa Volunteers, fictional character whose humorous, rascally escapades of pioneer days in Alabama became world famous. — Map (db m28745) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — “The Indian Fires Are Going Out”
The Trail of Tears led thousands of Creek Indians through Tuscaloosa, capital of Alabama in 1836. Chief Eufaula addressed the legislature with these words: "I come here, brothers, to see the great house of Alabama and the men who make laws and . . . — Map (db m28995) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Alabama Central Female College
After the seat of government was moved to Montgomery in 1847, the Tuscaloosa Capitol and its furnishings were deeded to the University of Alabama to be used for educational purposes. In 1857, the University Board of Trustees leased the building . . . — Map (db m29064) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Arthur P. BagbyGovernor 1837 - 1841
He inherited the financial woes brought on by the collapse of the "Flush Times". Despite chaotic banking conditions during the Panic of 1837, chancery courts and a penitentiary system were both created, and Alabama settled its boundary dispute with . . . — Map (db m29030) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Benjamin FitzpatrickGovernor 1841 - 1845
He oversaw the closing of the unstable State Bank. In 1845 the legislature amended the constitution to allow the removal of the capital from Tuscaloosa. The growing wealth and population of the Black Belt brought the seat of government to Montgomery. — Map (db m29033) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Clement Comer ClayGovernor 1835 - 1837
He served during Alabama's years of great prosperity known as the "Flush Times." With the economy booming, the legislature abolished all state taxes. — Map (db m29029) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Gabriel MooreGovernor 1829 - 1831
During his term our state moved from frontier to urbanity. The University of Alabama was officially opened. Construction was begun on our first canals and railroads, supplementing existing steamboats and unpaved roads. The Choctaws exchanged their . . . — Map (db m29023) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Gorgas House
Built 1829 as University dining hall. Remodeled as a residence 1840. Occupied by Gorgas family 1879-1953 (Reverse): Preserved as a memorial to: General Josiah Gorgas (1818-1883) Chief of Ordnance, C. S. A. 1861-1865 . . . — Map (db m29301) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Horace King
Born a slave in South Carolina in 1807, Horace King became a master bridge builder while working with John Godwin. With the aid of Tuscaloosan Robert Jemison, King was freed by act of the Alabama legislature in 1846. He went on to build many bridges . . . — Map (db m28913) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Hugh McVayGovernor 1837
As president of the state senate, he became governor when Clay resigned to succeed Gabriel Moore in the U. S. Senate. He remained in office for only four months. — Map (db m29031) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — John GayleGovernor 1831 - 1835
He extended state laws into Indian lands and actively encouraged illegal white settlement there. A treaty with the Creek Indians in 1832 forced them to leave the state and resulted in nine new counties in east Alabama. Their "Trail of Tears" took . . . — Map (db m29028) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — John MurphyGovernor 1825 - 1829
He initiated construction of the Capitol, the University of Alabama, and the State Bank. The legislature passed laws, known as slave codes, to severely restrict the rights of slaves, while citizens began to press for the removal of Alabama's . . . — Map (db m29020) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Joshua L. MartinGovernor 1845 - 1847
He presided over the transfer of the capital from Tuscaloosa to Montgomery in 1847. When the United States invaded Mexico Alabamians readily joined to fight, just as they would in 1861. — Map (db m29034) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Morgan Hall, 1910
Named for John Tyler Morgan (1824-1907). As U.S. Senator, Morgan led the 1882 campaign to obtain federal funds in reparation for the destruction of the University of Alabama campus by Union Troops in 1865. A member of the Alabama Secession . . . — Map (db m29223) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Old Tavern
Built in 1827 three blocks east on Broad Street. Stage stop and inn frequented by many political leaders while Tuscaloosa was State Capital. Moved to Capitol Park, 1966. — Map (db m29119) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Samuel B. MooreGovernor 1831
As President of the state senate, he briefly served as Governor when Gabriel Moore resigned to serve in the U.S. Senate. — Map (db m29026) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Architect
The Capitol in Tuscaloosa was designed by English-born architect, William Nichols, who served as State Architect from 1826 - 1832. Nichols also designed and built the campus of The University of Alabama. Before coming to Alabama he had . . . — Map (db m29117) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The University of Alabama School of Law
Founded in 1872 as the first law school in Alabama. Henderson M. Somerville was the first professor and later an Alabama Supreme Court Justice. The first dean was William L. Thorington (1897-1908). The school occupied, in turn, parts of Woods, . . . — Map (db m35471) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Warrior-Tombigbee Waterway
From 1887-1915, seventeen locks and dams were constructed on the Warrior - Tombigbee Rivers. The first 3 were built on the fall line in Tuscaloosa. This was the site of No. 3, later No. 12. The Warrior - Tombigbee Development Association, founded . . . — Map (db m28786) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Tuscaloosa City Hall
Constructed in 1909 as US Post Office. First occupied April 1910, with Mrs. Maggie Miller as Postmistress. Federal courtroom, now City Council Chamber, with magnificent design and detail, on second floor, 1910-1968. Thomas A. Jones first Federal . . . — Map (db m35376) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Tuscaloosa Second State Capital1826-1846
This stone commemorates the City of Tuscaloosa as the second state capital, January 1826 to January 1846. Erected by the Alabama Centennial Commission and the Citizens of Tuscaloosa, and dedicated December 14, 1919. On the occasion of the one . . . — Map (db m28996) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — University Club
Built 1834 by James Dearing. Purchased by Arthur P. Bagby who occupied the house 1837-41 while Governor of Alabama and since known as the Governor's Mansion. Presented to the University of Alabama 1944 by Herbert David Warner and Mildred Westervelt . . . — Map (db m29120) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — University of Alabama
Endowed by Congress 1819 Ordained by State constitution 1819 And established by General Assembly 1820 Instruction Begun 1831 Unofficial Training School Confederate Officers 1861-65 Destroyed by Federal Army April 4, 1865, Rebuilding Begun . . . — Map (db m29612) HM
Alabama (Walker County), Jasper — Walker County
Created December 26, 1823 Named for John W. Walker of Madison County, Alabama Chairman, State Constitutional Convention, July 5, 1819 Alabama's first United States Senator, 1819~1823 — Map (db m29982) HM
Alabama (Walker County), Jasper — William Brockman Bankhead Home1874-1940 — Speaker of the United States House of Representatives
William Brockman Bankhead served Alabama in the U.S. Congress from 1917 until 1940. For the last four years of his life, during Franklin D. Roosevelt's presidency, he served as the 47th Speaker of the House. He was the son of U.S. Senator John . . . — Map (db m29980) HM
Alaska (Fairbanks North Star Borough), Faribanks — Harding Car
Used by President Warren G. Harding on his trip to Alaska in 1923 to drive the Golden Spike for the Alaska Railroad. “Denali is the Indian name for Mt. McKinley, the “Great One.” — Map (db m47352) HM
Alaska (Fairbanks North Star Borough), Faribanks — Wickersham Cabin
This is the site of the original cabin of James J. Wickersham. He was an author, pioneer judge, congressional delegate and Alaska Visionary. Alaska Centennial 1867-1967 State of Alaska Governor Walter J. Hickel Alaska Centennial Commission — Map (db m47384) HM
Alaska (Skagway Borough), Skagway — Inspector Charles Constantineand Staff Sergeant Charles Brown — Northwest Mounted Police
[Seal of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police] In Commemoration of Inspector Charles Constantine and Staff Sergeant Charles Brown North West Mounted Police First members of this historic Canadian police force who landed at Skagway, Alaska . . . — Map (db m69014) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Navajo — At Navajo Springs
December 29, 1863 Arizona's Territorial officials took the oath of office during a snowstorm. Governor John N. Goodwin and other officials arriving from the east by wagon train, took their oaths of office and raised the U.S. flag "to establish a . . . — Map (db m36334) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Douglas — Douglas Police HeadquartersDouglas, Arizona
Elizabeth W. Ames, Mayor City Council Hector M. Salinas, Ward 1 Richard A. Arzate, Ward 2 Ramon H. Jordan, Ward 3 Harry F. Ames , Ward 4 Margaret Shannon, Ward 5 Rudy Quinonez, Ward 6 R. Delbert Self, City Manager . . . — Map (db m28295) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — Tombstone City HallOpened in 1882
Architect Frank Walker designed this building in Victorian style adapted to Western Territorial. It is constructed of fired red brick. It has been in continuous service since 1882 for Mayors, Marshals and official city offices. In the 1880s it . . . — Map (db m27918) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Globe — Hon. George W. P. Hunt1859 – 1934
Globe, Gila County, Arizona Apache Warrior Stronghold and Pioneer Home of Hon. George W. P. Hunt 1859 – 1934 Member various Territorial Legislatures, President Arizona Constitutional Convention, Arizona's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, . . . — Map (db m28047) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Globe — In Honor of John W. WentworthBorn 1858 – Died 1954
Colorful Arizona pioneer and faithful Gila County public servant. At intervals from 1885 to 1947, within the walls of three courthouses erected on this spot, he occupied various offices. His last office was Clerk of the Superior Court1912 to . . . — Map (db m28046) HM
Arizona (Graham county), Safford — Graham County Courthouse1916
Since Graham County's formation in 1881 the courthouse had been relocated four times. It had been housed in an adobe structure in Safford, two sites in Solomonville, and the Rig's Building on Main Street when the county seat was returned to Safford. . . . — Map (db m36370) HM
Arizona (Graham County), Safford — Safford City Hall1898
Safford City Hall started life as a school building. Safford School System bids for the North Ward School were opened in February 1898. The contract was awarded to R. A. Smith Jr. and John Morris. The new building was ready for the fall term in . . . — Map (db m36369) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Arizona’s Liberty Bell Monument
Dedicated To You, A Free Citizen In A Free Land This reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to the people of Arizona by direction of The Honorable John W. Snyder Secretary of the Treasury As the inspirational . . . — Map (db m27632) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Arizona's U.S.S. Arizona Memorial - In Memory of the Gallant MenWho Gave Their Lives on December 7, 1941 on the Battleship U.S.S. Arizona — During the Attack on Pearl Harbor
In memory of the gallant men who gave their lives on December 7, 1941 on the Battleship U.S.S. Arizona during the attack on Pearl Harbor Dedicated December 7, 1976 The Honorable Raul H. Castro, Governor of Arizona The contributions . . . — Map (db m26425) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — The Capitol
Completed in 1900 at the cost of approximately $136,000, was designed by James Riley Gordon of San Antonio, Texas, and served as the First Arizona owned seat of government during the late territorial days and its transition to statehood in 1912. The . . . — Map (db m27671) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — United States Indian Vocational Training School
Established 1891 This fountain and building erected 1922 Charles H. Burke Commissioner of Indian Affairs. "The Indian will become an asset or a liability as we cultivate or fail to cultivate his body, mind and soul with a view . . . — Map (db m62608) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Kingman — Cerbat
Site of Cerbat third historical Mohave County seat. Three miles from this highway in Cerbat Mountains and in canyon of the same name. It came to existence in 1860's as mining camp, and had mill, smelter, post-office, school, stores and saloons. Only . . . — Map (db m20808) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Kingman — Mohave County CourthouseBuilt 1915
This building has been placed on The National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Mohave County Courthouse Built 1915 Built of locally quarried tufa stone, the Mohave County Courthouse has . . . — Map (db m29401) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Kingman — U. S. Post OfficeBuilt 1935
This building has been placed on The National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior. U.S. Post Office Built 1935 A monument to massive federal building programs during the 1930's, . . . — Map (db m29409) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Holbrook — Navajo County Courthouse
Navajo County Courthouse In 1896, the U.S. Congress passed enabling legislation to provide a permanent courthouse at Holbrook. Construction was delayed until Frank A. Zuck donated land in April of 1898. Plans submitted by Phoenix . . . — Map (db m30158) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Pima County CourthouseHistoric Site
The first Pima County Courthouse, a single-story adobe structure built in 1868, was replaced in 1881 by a large two-story stone and red brick victorian building which, in turn, was removed in 1928 to make way for the present structure. This . . . — Map (db m55222) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — The Tucson Plant Materials Center
The Tucson Plant Materials Center Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of Agriculture 1997 — Map (db m31525) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Granville H. Oury
March 12 1825 - Jan 11 1891 Judge- District court of New Mexico Delegate to Confederate Congress Arizona Mounted Volunteers CSA Territorial legislature US Congress Pioneer- Soldier- Statesman — Map (db m32394) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Chino Valley — Del Rio Springs
Site of original Camp Whipple established December 1863 From January 22 to May 18, 1864 the offices of the Territorial Government of Arizona were operated from tents and log cabins here, before being moved to Prescott the first permanent . . . — Map (db m33444) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Prescott
Prescott, Yavapai County Seat, founded 1864 on Granite Creek, source of Placer gold. Named for William Hickling Prescott, Historian, first Gov. JN. N. Goodwin, Appointee of Abraham Lincoln. Established first territorial capital of Arizona here. At . . . — Map (db m18805) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Prescott
Founded 1864 on Granite Creek, early source of placer gold. Former territorial capital of Arizona. Now a center for ranching, mining, health, especially asthma relief. Located here on site of old Ft. Whipple is Whipple Veterans Hospital. Seat of . . . — Map (db m20298) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Site of Territorial Courthouse
The courthouse you see today, constructed in 1916 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is not the original one on this site. The first courthouse constructed on the Plaza, one of two city blocks set aside in 1864 for government . . . — Map (db m18132) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Yuma — Commanding Officer's Quarters & Kitchen
In 1859, steamboat entrepreneur George Alonzo Johnson built a riverside home for his bride, Estefana Alvarado. Now known as the Commanding Officer's Quarters, the home is believed to be Arizona's oldest Anglo-built adobe building. In the devastating . . . — Map (db m28999) HM
Arizona (Yuma County), Yuma — In Memory of Senator Harold C. Giss
Senator Giss was born February, 1906, in Minneapolis, Minn. and moved to Arizona in 1937. Being a concerned individual for Arizona's future, Senator Giss entered politics. He served as a member of the Arizona House of Representatives for two years . . . — Map (db m28986) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — 1 — Benton County First Court House
The first court house in Benton County, built of hewed logs was erected on this site (at Bentonville) in 1837, the year after the county was created. It was named for Thomas H Benton. — Map (db m19880) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Lowell — Lowell Postal Service

The earliest postal area was at Cross Hollows. Records show the Bloomington Post Office was changed to Lowell, March 9, 1881 with Paul F. Lewis, Postmaster. Insets show a 1900 Post Office building on North Jackson Street. The one next door to . . . — Map (db m93274) HM

Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — F 2 No. 1 — Independence County First County Court House
The town of Batesville was selected as the county seat and the first county court house built in 1821, a year after the county was organized. — Map (db m66720) HM
Arkansas (Jefferson County), Pine Bluff — 1 F 6 — Jefferson County First Court House
The first court house in Jefferson County created in 1829 and named for President Thomas Jefferson was erected on this site at (Pine Bluff) in 1833. Meanwhile, sessions of the county court had been held first at the house of Joseph Bonne and second . . . — Map (db m30580) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Mark Twain's Plum Point Landing & Overlook
Mark Twain referred to Osceola as "the famous and formidable Plum Point" in his book, Life on the Mississippi, as well as other writings. First established in 1837 as Plum Point, Osceola was incorporated in 1853. From this vantage point, one could . . . — Map (db m36301) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — J 2 — Mississippi County Court House
The county seat of Mississippi County, created in 1833, was located at Osceola in 1836. Since about 1900 the county has maintained another court house at Blytheville for the northern district. The county was named for the great river which flows . . . — Map (db m36489) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Mississippi County CourthouseOsceola
This Neoclassical Courthouse was built in 1912 on land donated by Judge W.J. Driver. Constructed of unusual brick, the building features a flat roof supporting a copper dome with large concrete terra cotta decorations and round polished inserts on . . . — Map (db m36434) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — U.S. Post Office Building
Constructed in 1915, this building served as the post office on the Cotton Highway until 1936. County Judge S.L. Gladish made sure that the Post Office contained European tiles like those used in the then-new courthouse. The building later housed a . . . — Map (db m36454) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — William J. Driver
In memory of the honorable William J. Driver.Former Circuit Judge and Congressman, a lifelong citizen of Osceola, Arkansas. Born March 2, 1873. Died October 1, 1948. As a member of the Rivers and Harbors and Flood Control Committees of the Congress . . . — Map (db m36532) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — 115 — Phillips County Court House

The First County Seat of Phillips county was ordered in the Act of 1820 which created the county, to be located in the Town of Monticello, which place has since been identified as the original name of the present Town of Helena. — Map (db m51918) HM

Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Barracks, Courthouse, Jail
The building in front of you is very much as it appeared in the 1890s. First built as a military barracks, it was later converted for use as a courthouse and jail. Over time its appearance changed to accommodate different needs of the people using . . . — Map (db m59026) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Gallows
With the largest criminal jurisdiction of any federal court at the time, the Western District of Arkansas handled an extraordinary number of murder and rape cases. When a jury found defendants guilty in these capital cases, federal law mandated the . . . — Map (db m59022) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — The Women’s Jail, 1872-1888
After the U.S. Army closed Fort Smith in 1871, the guardhouse served the Federal Court for the Western District of Arkansas. It remained in use as a jail, detaining primarily women suspected or convicted of federal crimes until 1888. At that time, . . . — Map (db m58128) HM
Arkansas (Sharp County), Evening Shade — F. 1-1 — Sharp County Court House
The first court house in Sharp County was erected at Evening Shade in 1868. About 1890 another court house was built at Hardy, in the Northern end of the county, and since then the county has maintained two seats of justice. — Map (db m59179) HM
Arkansas (Sharp County), Hardy — F 1 No. 2 — Sharp County Court House No 2
The first court house in Sharp County was erected at Evening Shade in 1868. About 1890 another court house was built at Hardy in the northern end of the county and since then the county has maintained two seats of justice. — Map (db m65507) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — City Hall AnnexJamers W. Plachek, Architect — 1925
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1984 Constructed in 1925 when Berkeley’s population was growing rapidly, this building accommodated a variety of civic services next to City Hall. The Department of Milk Inspection, which assured the purity . . . — Map (db m54215) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Livermore Town Hall Jail and Firehouse
[Upper Marker:] Built 1875, this building was first a hotel then the Livermore Valley Bank. It was the Livermore Town Hall from 1905 to 1957. The jail was in the rear, and to the left the firehouse. It was here a light bulb was lit and . . . — Map (db m19982) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Sister City Program
“The Sister City Program is an important resource to the negotiations of governments in letting the people themselves give expression of their common desire for friendship, goodwill and cooperation for a better world for all” . . . — Map (db m19970) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Alameda County Courthouses
These five panels tell the stories of Alameda County's five courthouses. Alameda County’s 1st Courthouse Alvarado • 1853-1855 Alameda County’s first courthouse was a converted loft space above a general store in the frontier town . . . — Map (db m72064) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 28 — Oakland City Hall
Begun in 1911 and completed in 1914, this is Oakland’s fifth City Hall. Its construction was funded with a $1.15 million bond issue passed in 1909. The Beaux Arts design was by the New York firm of Palmer and Hornbostel, winners of a national design . . . — Map (db m72702) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — J. W. Kottinger’s BarnPleasanton Heritage Site - 1852
John W. Kottinger (1819 – 1892) was Murray Township Justice of the Peace from 1853 to 1870. His home was the Seat of Justice for the township; The northwest corner of this adobe barn was used to jail prisoners. A frequent visitor was Joaquin . . . — Map (db m24507) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — Kottinger’s Barn
John W. Kottinger one of pioneer founders and first Justice of the Peace of Pleasanton constructed this adobe brick barn about 1852. So built that part of it could house prisoners brought to justice in his court. Thus serving as Pleasanton’s first . . . — Map (db m24592) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — County Courthouse1868
The Alameda County Courthouse stood here between 1856 and 1868. In 1853 Alameda County was carved out of Contra Costa and Santa Clara Counties. New Haven was its first county seat. The 1854 legislative session moved the county seat to more . . . — Map (db m26418) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — San Leandro Courthouse Site
Courthouse of Alameda County on this site early months of 1855. Moved here officially on March 10, 1856 by act of Legislature February 8, 1856. Site donated for county purposes by Jose Joaquin Estudillo. Courthouse move to Oakland 1873. — Map (db m26411) HM
California (Alameda County), Union City — 503 — First County Courthouse
The first court house where Alameda County government began, June 6, 1853. Officials met in two-story wooden building erected by Henry C. Smith and A. M. Church as merchandise store. Seat of government moved to San Leandro in 1856 following vote of . . . — Map (db m28910) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — - Jackson -The Jumping Seat of Calaveras County
Judge Smith proclaimed Jackson the Seat of Justice after Clerk Collier canvassed the votes of the May 1851 election in which 1224 votes were cast for Moquelumne Hill and 1014 for Jackson. An armed party from Moquelumne Hill pursued Judge Smith to . . . — Map (db m27499) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Sesquicentennial Court House Site
Voters on July 17, 1854, selected Jackson as the county seat of the new County of Amador, born that June 14 after a spirited election. Fulfilling their promise, the Jackson town trustees, at no county expense, financed construction of the first . . . — Map (db m27910) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — V. S. Garbarini, Sr.Mechanical Engineer — 1859 – 1931
Prominent in the mining world through his work at the Zeile, Kennedy, Argonaut & other Mother Lode mines, 1881 – 1929. His public spirit and mechanical skills led to many improvements in Jackson’s streets and bridges. First Mayor of Jackson, . . . — Map (db m27978) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — 1854 · Amador County · 1954
Amador County, carved from Calaveras and El Dorado, was organized July 3, 1854, at the crossroads of Sutter Hill. Act of Legislature, May 11, 1854, set June 17, 1854, as election date for people to vote on such a division, and appointed five . . . — Map (db m11222) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Sutter Creek Jail
The jail was built in 1908 to replace the original jail that was destroyed by a fire started when an unidentified inmate set his mattress on fire and burned to death. Sutter Creek and Amador County shared the cost of the new cement jail built by the . . . — Map (db m57980) HM
California (Calaveras County), Mokelumne Hill — 663 — Calaveras County Courthouse and Leger Hotel
A portion of this building served as the Calaveras County Courthouse from 1852 to 1866, when the county seat was removed to San Andreas. George W. Leger then acquired the court building and made it a part of his adjoining hotel, which has been . . . — Map (db m11537) HM
California (Calaveras County), Mokelumne Hill — 269 — Mokelumne Hill
Mokelumne is an Indian word, first applied to the nearby river. Earliest settlement was at Happy Valley by French trappers. Gold was discovered by discharged members of Stevenson's Regiment in 1848. Center of the richest placer mining section of . . . — Map (db m12996) HM
California (Calaveras County), West Point — 253 — Sandy Gulch
This site, in 1849, was a trading center for pioneer miners of Northwestern Calaveras County. It was named after the gulch where William and Dan Carsner found large nuggets imbedded in the course sand. Water for mining was brought from the Middle . . . — Map (db m11975) HM
California (Colusa County), Colusa — 890 — Colusa County Courthouse
Erected in 1861, this Federal/Classic Revival style building is the oldest remaining courthouse in the Sacramento Valley. The “Southern” style reflects the county’s heritage from the Ante-Bellum South and states-rights sympathies during . . . — Map (db m57626) HM
California (Colusa County), Colusa — 1 — Judge H. M. Albery House
Judge H. M. Albery House Erected 1874 Colusa Heritage Marker 1 Dedicated May 6, 1977 — Map (db m26238) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — City Hall
This attractive building, El Cerrito's first City Hall, was built in 1926 and replaced in 1961. It housed the City offices, both Fire and Police Departments, and even a small jail. The Council Chambers/Public Hall was upstairs, as was an apartment . . . — Map (db m94185) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — El Cerrito's First Mayor
El Cerrito became a city on August 23, 1917. Businessman Philip Lee lead the incorporation effort and raised bonds for essential services, including fire and police protection. Lee was elected to the City Council multiple times and served as mayor . . . — Map (db m94106) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — I — Contra Costa County Courthouse1901
County Seat Since April 25, 1851 Martinez Historical Marker I — Map (db m24318) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 192 — City Hall 1951 & American Red Cross BuildingCivic Drive at Broadway — 1951
The first "modern" City Hall sat on Ignacio Avenue (now Civic Drive), across from the park. Its design was similar to that of the American Red Cross Building (now Park Place), which sits at the opposite corner of Civic and Broadway. In 1981, a new . . . — Map (db m93797) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 193 — City Hall 19811666 N. Main Street — 1981
In 1981 and after three decades of rapid growth, Walnut Creek built its second City Hall, using the same site but facing Main Street. In recent years, the City renovated and expanded the 1981 building. — Map (db m93802) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 132 — Judge Duncan's Courtroom1328 N. Main Street — 1914
From its first meeting following city incorporation in October 1914, Walnut Creek's City Council held its meetings for a number of years in the courtroom of Judge George O. Duncan, adjacent to the San Ramon Bank. — Map (db m93723) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Capt. William E. Shannon
First Alcade of Coloma Delegate from this area to First State Constitutional Convention Convention at Monterey. September 1849 — Map (db m17467) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Coloma’s Law OfficesSite of
In the 1850s, the law offices of Thomas Robertson and the firm of Sanderson and Hews were at this site. The town alcalde also had his office here. Borrowed from Mexican government, the position of alcalde combined the roles of mayor, justice of the . . . — Map (db m17572) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — El Dorado County Jails
Coloma’s first jail was made of logs and was located around the corner on High Street. The second jail, built in 1855, quickly proved to be too small, and this stone-block prison was erected. It was used from 1857 until 1862. The metal cell that . . . — Map (db m12228) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown Firehouse
This firehouse, completed in 1965, was built to replace one on the opposite side of Main Street which was inadequate to house modern equipment. Headquarters of the Georgetown Fire District, now in this building, were formerly on Church Street. — Map (db m54929) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Confidence Engine CompanyCity Hill
Erected in 1860, this part of City Hall housed the Confidence Engine Company which was originally formed as The Mountaineer Engine Company. When flames engulfed most of the town in 1856, concerned citizens of Placerville realized that even the best . . . — Map (db m35540) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — County of El Dorado Courthouse Restoration
Board of Supervisors John M. Caswell – District 1, William V.D. Johnson – District 2, Thomas M. Goodloe, Jr. – District 3, Raymond E. Lawyer, Chairman – District 4, Gerald E. Martin – District 5. Robert Mason, . . . — Map (db m12755) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Joseph M. Staples
Re-Dedicated July 1, 1986 To The Memory of Joseph M. Staples El Dorado County Deputy Sheriff Who Was Killed In The Line Of Duty July 1, 1864 — Map (db m13970) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Thomas MaulSuperior Judge — 1885 – 1954
Lawyer This plaque is a memorial To our beloved citizen Who sponsored this park and many other civic improvements — Map (db m13172) HM
California (El Dorado County), Pollack Pines — In Memory of the Bravery of Our Pioneer Officers
Scene of the robbery of two coaches of the Pioneer Stage Line running between Virginia City, Nevada, and Sacramento, California, on the night of June 30, 1864, at about ten o’clock. Perpetrated by a gang of fourteen men, eight sacks of bullion and . . . — Map (db m13922) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 18 — Fresno County Courthouse
A temporary rough board building, containing county offices, was erected near the spot in the fall of 1874, about the time the cornerstone was laid for the original permanent courthouse. Fresno was selected by the voters in a previous spring . . . — Map (db m27940) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Court House and Jail
From the 1850s to the 1890s, the lure of gold brought people to the mountains and deserts of Kern County. Mining towns such as Claraville, Havilah and Randsburg sprang up almost overnight. Although most of the residents of these . . . — Map (db m25994) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Lassen County Courthouse
Lassen County was officially created on April 1, 1864 and three months later Susanville's founder, Isaac Roop donated this city block for the Lassen County Courthouse. On January 23, 1888 Holden Dick and Mexican Ben were lynched here, marking the . . . — Map (db m87779) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 1 — Culver CitySite of City Hall — Dedicated 1928
The city of Culver City incorporated in 1912, built its first permanent City Hall on this site in 1926. This is a portion of the original Spanish landgrant, Rancho La Ballona. — Map (db m49949) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — First Mayor of Los Angeles Under United States RuleLos Pobladores — The Founders of the City of Los Angeles
The Founders of the City of Los Angeles: Vanegas, Quintero, Rodriguez, Villavicencio, Navarro, Rosas, Camero, Rosas, Moreno, Mesa, Before 1850, the chief executive of the pueblo was the alcalde, who sat on the ayuntamiento . . . — Map (db m55296) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — 999 — Marin County Civic Center
The Civic Center Complex was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright (1869-1959) near the end of his long career. The Administration Building was completed in 1962 and the Hall of Justice in 1970. They are the only government buildings designed by the . . . — Map (db m32748) HM
California (Mariposa County), Mariposa — A Shrine to Justice in California
In honor of the sesquincentennial of the Mariposa County Courthouse and recognition of its continuous use since 1855. In June 1857 Biddle Boggs vs. Merced Mining Company made legal mining history and the 1861 cases of Moore vs. Smaw and Fremont . . . — Map (db m46739) HM
California (Mariposa County), Mariposa — 518 — Agua Fria
One fourth mile north of Carson Creek, tributary of Agua Fria, was located Agua Fria, first county seat of Mariposa County in 1850-1851 one of original 27 counties in California. Until 1852, while mining was main industry of region, Mariposa County . . . — Map (db m51554) HM
California (Mariposa County), Mariposa — Mariposa County Court House
California’s oldest seat of justice still in use. The front half, the original building, completed in 1854, cost $9.200. The lumber was sash-sawed from nearby forests; framework fastened with mortised joints and wooden pegs. Finished lumber was . . . — Map (db m46734) HM
California (Mariposa County), Mariposa — Mariposa County Court HouseErected 1854
In Continuous Use Since Erection This marker placed Map (db m46737) HM
California (Mariposa County), Mariposa — 670 — Mariposa County Courthouse
This mortise and tenon Greek Revival courthouse, erected in 1854, is California’s oldest court of law and has served continuously as the seat of county government since 1854. During the 19th century landmark mining cases setting legal precedent were . . . — Map (db m46733) HM
California (Merced County), Snelling — First Court Housein Merced County
Erected 1857 This monument commemorates the Seventy-fifth anniversary of the organization of Merced County and is dedicated to the memory our pioneers by Yosemite Parlor No. 24, N.S.G.W. Merced May 20, 1930 — Map (db m7325) HM
California (Mono County), Benton — Aurora and Owens River Wagon Road
Established by the Nevada Territorial Legislature February 20, 1864 Rates of Toll Wagon with two animals $1.00 Carriage and one animal $.75 Each additional animal $.25 Empty teams returning half price Saddle animals each $.25 . . . — Map (db m20732) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — Mono County Court House
Since April 1, 1881 with the trial of Morton, indicted for theft of gold bullion from the Standard Co. of Bodie, the scales of justice in this building have continuously weighed the problems of Mono County from infancy to this present day. This . . . — Map (db m10322) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — Old County Jail
Since the formation of Mono County in 1861, six facilities have served as the county jail. This stone building was placed into service by Sheriff C.F. McKinney, Dec. 5, 1883, and became the 5th Mono County Jail. It replaced the wooden jail facility . . . — Map (db m10364) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Colton Hall – Site of California’s Original Constitution
Forty-eight men of diverse education and cultural backgrounds from throughout California converged upon Monterey in September in 1849 to frame a constitutional government for California. Working together as Californians, they created this . . . — Map (db m63348) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — 348 — Home of Juan Bautista AlvaradoState Registered Landmark No. 348
Native of Monterey, Governor of California under Mexican rule December 20,1836 - December 20,1842. During his administration the increasing influx of Americans, and the Russian settlement at Fort Ross, began to be regarded as serious problems. . . . — Map (db m25055) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Monterey Customhouse
Constructed by the Mexican government during 1927 and 1841 to collect customs duties from foreign shipping when Monterey was the capital of this northern province, and customs duties were Alta California’s principal source of revenue. United States . . . — Map (db m63307) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — The Custom House
The Custom House is the oldest government building in California. From 1822 through 1846, Monterey was both the capital city and primary port of entry for Alta California. Cargos of “everything under the sun” were brought ashore and . . . — Map (db m63061) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — The Great Seal of the State of California
The Great Seal of the State of California designed by Major Robert Selden Garnett, U.S. Army, and adopted by the Constitutional Convention of 1849 at Monterey. Commissioned a Brigadier General in the Confederate States Army He . . . — Map (db m33659) HM
California (Napa County), Calistoga — Calistoga City Hall
The site of the City Hall originally held the Bedlam Opera House, named after a niece of Sam Brannan, founder of Calistoga. Burned to the ground at the turn of the Century, it was rebuilt and completed in 1902. Originally built to house . . . — Map (db m18560) HM
California (Napa County), Napa — Napa Courthouse Flag Staff
First constructed 1892-3. Restored under volunteer leadership of Solano-Napa Builders Exchange through contributions and skilled labor of these citizens and organizations of Napa County. Dedicated April 13, 1985 By the Native Sons of the . . . — Map (db m16404) HM
California (Nevada County), Nevada City — Nevada County Court HouseHistory
Nevada County organized out of Yuba County May 18, 1851. Wooden court house and log jail built on Broad Street 1851. The first court house on this site was erected in 1856. The building was damaged by fire in July of the same year and rebuilt. . . . — Map (db m40311) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 25, 1 — First City Hall / First School
First City Hall In the early 1960's a new Elementary School was built and the old school was used as City Hall from 1962-1964. The old school was built in 1920 First School The first school was started in Sycamore Hall during the . . . — Map (db m62269) HM
California (Orange County), Santa Ana — 837 — Orange County Courthouse
Built in 1900 of Arizona red sandstone, this is the oldest existing county courthouse in Southern California. Significant and far-reaching court decisions were handed down here, including the "Whipstock" case which dealt with slant oil drilling, . . . — Map (db m50526) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Auburn Post OfficeHistorical Landmark
. . . — Map (db m12358) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Placer County CourthouseHistorical Landmark
Site of First Public Hanging Area and Graveyard Third Courthouse Cornerstone Laid July 4, 1894 Dedicated July 4, 1898 — Map (db m12340) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Schuyler Colfax1865
Schuyler Colfax, Speaker of the House of Representatives, was asked by President Abraham Lincoln on April 14 to take a message to the miners of the west, that their prosperity is the prosperity of the Nation. These may have been Lincoln’s last words . . . — Map (db m10976) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — 3 — Roseville’s First City Hall
In April 1909, the newly incorporated City of Roseville leased the upper level of the historic two story J.D. Pratt, later William Sawtell, store building at the corner of Pacific and Lincoln Streets for use as the town’s first City Hall. Rent . . . — Map (db m37174) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — 985 — Desert Training CenterCalifornia Arizona Maneuver Area
The D.T.C was established by Major General George S. Patton Jr. in response to a need to train American combat troops for battle in North Africa during World War II. The camp, which began operation in 1942 covered 18,000 square miles. It was the . . . — Map (db m50700) HM
California (Sacramento County), Folsom — Folsom Dam ImprovementsPromoting Public Safety for the Sacramento Region
Folsom Dam and Reservoir are a component of the Central Valley Project, owned and operated by the Bureau of Reclamation, Mid-Pacific Region, Central California Area Office Construction of Folsom Dam by the Corps began in . . . — Map (db m17644) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 1854 City Hall and Waterworks
The original building was completed in the spring of 1854 at a cost of $120,000. It housed the City Waterworks, its Superintendent, and Tapper, and the City offices for Mayor, Council, Secretary, Marshall, Police, Collector, Assessor, Surveyor, and . . . — Map (db m16948) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 606 — B.F. Hastings Bank BuildingWestern Terminus of the Pony Express
This structure, erected in 1852-53, was occupied during the 1850’s by the B.F. Hastings Bank, Wells Fargo and Co., Various state officials, Sacramento Valley Railroad, and the Alta Telegraph Co. during April 1860-May 1861. The Alta Telegraph Co. and . . . — Map (db m11388) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 2008-5 — Booth Building
This building was the home of the Booth Company, a wholesale grocery business and its founder Newton Booth, lawyer, writer, lecturer, and politician. Booth served as State Senator 1862-1863, and lived here while Governor of California 1871-1875 and . . . — Map (db m15705) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — California Firefighters Memorial
Honoring men and women of uncommon courage who paid the ultimate price to protect our lives, our families and our dreams — Map (db m14836) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — California State Capitol
ORIGINAL CONSTRUCTION – 1860 – 1874 Miner F. Butler – Won Design Competition, 1860 Ruben Clark, Supervising Architect, 1860 – 1865 Gordon P. Cummings, Supervising Architect, 1865 – 1870 Kenitzer & . . . — Map (db m14834) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Colonel William Stephen HamiltonIn Memory of the Rough Diamond
. . . — Map (db m12405) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 697 — Five Mile Station
Departing at 2:45 A.M. from the Alta Telegraph Co. in Sacramento, Pony Rider Sam (Bill) Hamilton carried the first mail eastward of the Central Overland Pony Express on April 4, 1860. Here quickly changing ponies he sped on to the next stop at . . . — Map (db m19583) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 823 — Governor’s Mansion
This mansard-styled Victorian house was built for Albert Gallatin in 1877. Acquired by the State, it served as the first official Governor's residence. Governor George C. Pardee and his family moved in during November, 1903. It ultimately served as . . . — Map (db m13882) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Hardin Bigelow
Elected April 1, 1850 First Mayor of Sacramento under the Charter form of Government. A Native of Michigan. Died on November 27, 1850, in San Francisco of Cholera, following wounds received in the Squatters Riot at Sacramento in August . . . — Map (db m12400) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — John A. Sutter, Jr.1826 – 1897
Founder and Planner of City of Sacramento 1848 Died in Port of Acapulco, Mexico American Consul for 24 Years Juan A. Sutter De origin Suizo y consul Americano. Durante 24 anos en este Puerto. Fallecio a la edad de 72 anos. Su espposa e . . . — Map (db m12388) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — John Bigler(1806 – 1871) — California’s Third Governor
Born in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, January 8, 1806, John Bigler was the eldest of what was said to be “a numerous family of children.” As a young man, he was apprenticed to the printing trade and became one of the youngest editors . . . — Map (db m13069) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Joseph H. McKinney
First Sheriff of Sacramento County Killed during a Squatters Riot in Brighton Township August 15, 1850 Age Early 20’s — Map (db m18869) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 614 — Leland Stanford House
The house originally designed in 1857 by Seth Babson and was purchased by Leland Stanford in 1861. It served as the State Executive Office from 1861 to 1867, before the completion of the State Capital. It was later extensively remodeled and . . . — Map (db m11842) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Liberty Bell Replica
Dedicated To You, A Free Citizen In A Free Land This reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to the people of California by direction of The Honorable John W. Snyder Secretary of Treasury As the . . . — Map (db m14837) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Luella Buckminster-Johnston1861 – 1958
An outspoken proponent of suffrage for women, she became the first of her gender elected to a municipal office in Sacramento, being swept into office by an all male electorate before women attained the right to vote. Widow of a politician and . . . — Map (db m15621) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Newton Booth1852 - 1892
State Senator 1862 Governor 1871 United States Senator 1873 — Map (db m12425) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Old Masonic Cemetery
Plot Size: 67” by 68’ Established 1859 In purchasing this site from the Board of Trustees, Sacramento City Cemetery, July 30, 1859, the Order of Free and Accepted Masons became the first fraternal organization in Sacramento to provide a . . . — Map (db m14075) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 812 — Old Sacramento
Founded in December 1848 by John A. Sutter, Jr., Sacramento was an outgrowth of Sutter’s Fort established by his father, Captain John A. Sutter, in 1839. State Capital since 1854, it was a major distribution point during the Gold Rush. A commercial . . . — Map (db m11486) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Prisoner of the RiverLaGrange
Among the many sailing ships bound for California in 1849 was the LaGrange, a three-masted bark from Salem, Massachusetts. The ship arrived at Sacramento on October 3, 1849, and the following June was purchased by the city for a prison. In . . . — Map (db m16989) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Sacramento Volunteer Fire Department1850 – 1872
The Mutual Hook and Ladder Company, formed on February 5, 1850, was the first fire company in the State of California. It served with distinction until disbanded October 30, 1859. On June 23, 1858, a grateful city donated this plot of ground . . . — Map (db m12462) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 869 — Site of First and Second State Capitals at Sacramento
Sacramento’s first county courthouse, formerly located on this site, served as California’s State Capital from January 16, 1852 to May 4, 1852 for the third session of the legislature and from March 1, 1854 to May 15, 1854 for the fifth session. . . . — Map (db m14803) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — The California Peace Officers MemorialIn Tribute
Since statehood, the people of California have sought and cherished a quality of life unsurpassed in this great nation. There have been among us those who chose to serve as peace officers and when called upon unselfishly gave more than we have the . . . — Map (db m14814) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — The Squatters Riot
In the street, at the corner of Fourth and J, on Aug. 14, 1850, settlers were confronted by the Mayor and the Sheriff. The fatalities that day and the next ended THE SQUATTERS RIOTS [Column 1] Hardin Bigelow, Mayor J. W. . . . — Map (db m14806) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — The United States Merchant Marine
Throughout history, two categories of ships, merchants and naval combatants, have carried out the world’s seagoing activities. Those of the merchant marine, known as merchantmen, carry cargo, passengers, and perform special functions during times of . . . — Map (db m16468) HM
California (San Benito County), San Juan Bautista — 179 — Castro - Breen Adobe
This adobe building erected about 1838 on a grant of 1500 Spanish varas from the Mexican Government to Don Jose Maria Castro, interim Comandante General 1845-1846 and interim Governor of Alta California 1835-1836. Deeded by him February 7, 1849 to . . . — Map (db m15354) HM
California (San Benito County), San Juan Bautista — 181 — Fremont Peak– 11 Mile Marker -
In March 1846, Jose Castro, Mexican Military Commander, ordered John C. Fremont from the country, and with Kit Carson and 60 men he moved to top of peak. Built entrenchments, raised flag and awaited attack. Bear Flag Incident and Mexican War . . . — Map (db m15321) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — First Raising of U.S. Flag
On this site the United States Flag was first raised in Southern California by Lt. Stephen G. Rowan U.S.N., Commanding Sailors and Marines July 29, 1846. — Map (db m13043) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 242 — Mission San Diego de Alcala
On Sunday, July 16, 1769 Fathers Junipero Serra, Juan Viscaino and Fernando Parron raised and blessed a cross to establish Alta, California’s 1st Mission. Relocated from Presidio Hill to this site in August 1774 the Mission was the mother of those . . . — Map (db m15262) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 65 — The Whaley House
Built by Thomas Whaley in 1856-57, this is the oldest brick structure in Southern California. In addition to being the home of the Whaley Family, it served variously as granary, store, courthouse and school, and as the town’s first theater. Whaley’s . . . — Map (db m11645) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Harvey MilkMay 22, 1930 - November 27, 1978
Harvey Milk Plaza is named in honor of San Francisco Supervisor Harvey Milk, California’s first elected official to be openly gay. In 1975, Harvey Milk opened Castro Camera at 575 Castro Street and moved into the apartment upstairs. Harvey’s . . . — Map (db m21067) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Mayors of San Francisco
Alcaldes Francisco DeHaro (1834) • Jose Joaquin Estudillo (1835) • Francisco Guerrero (1836) • Ignacio Martinez (1837) • Francisco DeHaro (1838-1839) • Francisco Guerrero (1839-1841) • Jose de Jesus Noe (1842) • Francisco Sanchez (1843) • . . . — Map (db m71916) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Mint HillA Trip Through Local History — Clyde Wahrhaftig
In 1936 almost half of Mint Hill was removed to create a flat base for the Mint. In 1947 Duboce Avenue east of the Sunset Tunnel was crowded with automobiles as shoppers thronged to the farmers’ market. The area near Market and Church . . . — Map (db m72658) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 87 — Site of First U.S. Branch Mint
The first United States Branch Mint in San Francisco was authorized by Congress July 3, 1852, and opened for operation on April 3, 1854. Dr. L.A. Birdall was the first superintendent: J. Huston, first minter: A. Haraszthy, first assayer. State . . . — Map (db m9156) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — CHL 192 — Site of the Jenny Lind Theatre and San Francisco City Hall
The third Jenny Lind Theatre was opened by Tom Maquire on October 4, 1851 on the same site as the two preceding it, which were destroyed in the fires of 1851. In 1852 the City of San Francisco purchased this theatre for use as the City Hall. — Map (db m71467) HM

1935 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers were listed. Next 1685
Paid Advertisement
Categories20th CenturyAbolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansAgricultureAir & SpaceAnimalsAntebellum South, USAnthropologyArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicAsian AmericansBridges & ViaductsCemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public WorkChurches, Etc.Civil RightsColonial EraCommunicationsDisastersEducationEntertainmentEnvironmentExplorationForts, CastlesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernmentHeroesHispanic AmericansHorticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceLabor UnionsLandmarksMan-Made FeaturesMilitaryNative AmericansNatural FeaturesNatural ResourcesNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesPaleontologyPatriots & PatriotismPeacePolitical SubdivisionsPoliticsRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesScience & MedicineSettlements & SettlersSportsWar of 1812War, 1st Iraq & Desert StormWar, 2nd IraqWar, AfghanistanWar, ColdWar, French and IndianWar, KoreanWar, Mexican-AmericanWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, Texas IndependenceWar, US CivilWar, US RevolutionaryWar, VietnamWar, World IWar, World IIWars, Non-USWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels
States or ProvincesAlabamaAlaskaAlbertaArizonaArkansasBritish ColumbiaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareDistrict of ColumbiaFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineManitobaMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew BrunswickNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNewfoundland and LabradorNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaNova ScotiaOhioOklahomaOntarioOregonPennsylvaniaPrince Edward IslandPuerto RicoQuebecRhode IslandSaskatchewanSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyomingYukon Territory
CountriesArgentinaAustraliaAustriaBahamasBelgiumBelizeBrazilCanadaChinaCosta RicaCzech RepublicDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEstoniaFinlandFranceGermanyGreeceGrenadaGuatemalaGuyanaHondurasHungaryIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaKiribatiLiechtensteinLuxembourgMalaysiaMexicoNetherlands AntillesNew ZealandNicaraguaPalestinian TerritoriesPhilippinesRussiaSaint LuciaScotland, UKSingaporeSouth AfricaSouth KoreaSwedenSwitzerlandThailandTurkeyTurks and Caicos IslandsU.S Virgin IslandsUkraineUnited KingdomU.S.A.