Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hispanic Americans Historical Markers

318 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers are listed. Next 68
Baca Home image, Click for more information
By Bill Kirchner, September 19, 2010
Baca Home
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 22 — Baca Home
Gregorio Baca bought this house from G. Becker in 1907 for his bride, Chona Ortega. It's walls are 16" thick adobe. The wealthy Bacas & Ortegas ran large herds of cattle & sheep on vast tracts of land in Concho, St. Johns & The R.V. area. — Map (db m36383) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Marble Canyon — Dominguez y Escalante Expedition1776 - 1976 — Treacherous Descent
Text from: Historical Markers with The Arizona Department of Transportation right of way. Prepared by: Roadside Development Section April 1, 1997 Fatigued by a thirty mile ride, the padres picked their way down the rocky north slope . . . — Map (db m39917) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Page — Crossing of the FathersDominguez y Escalante Expedition 1776-1976
Within sight of this place the Franciscan priests Dominguez and Escalante and their ten companions experienced two of the most difficult challenges among many along the 1,800 miles of their epic journey from the Spanish presidio at Santa Fe, New . . . — Map (db m40324) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Miami — Bullion Plaza School
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Bullion Plaza School 1923 — Map (db m67493) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Eusebio Francisco Kino
(English version) To maintain alive the memory of the pioneer civilizer of the Pimeria and to strengthen the ties of friendship and comprehension between the peoples of both states. Sonora presented this statue to Arizona in August of 1967 being . . . — Map (db m92588) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Littlefield — 121 — The Old Spanish Trail1829 - 1848
The Old Spanish Trail, the main trade route between Santa Fe and Los Angeles, passed this way beginning in 1829. At the end of the Mexican-American War this portion of the route evolved into what was variously known as the Salt Lake Road, the Mormon . . . — Map (db m78535) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — August 20th Park
This park is a memorial to the founding of Tucson. On August 20, 1775, Lt. Col. Don Hugo Oconor, Commandant Inspector of the Frontier Provinces of New Spain, in the company of Fr. Francisco Garces and Lt. Juan Carmona officially established the . . . — Map (db m83011) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Carlos Ygnacio Velasco House
This house dating from the 1870s was purchased by Carlos and Beatriz Velasco in 1878. In the same year, Velasco began publication of the newspaper "El Fronterizo," which continued until his death in 1914. This building was the office and print shop. . . . — Map (db m83015) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Chapel of San Pedro at Fort Lowell
A tiny chapel, built here in 1915, served the Barriada del Rillito, a community now called El Fuerte. The fifteen immigrant Mexican families of this village gathered outside under mesquite trees to hear Mass. In 1917, Señora Josefa de Mule donated . . . — Map (db m83018) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — El Parque de Orlando y Diego Mendoza
English In 1981, two young brothers, Orlando and Diego Mendoza, died when a drunk driver ran a stop sign at this intersection hitting the car in which the two children were riding. Orlando was 2 years old; Diego was 17 months. The . . . — Map (db m83027) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — El Tiradito(The Wishing Shrine)
This is the only shrine in the United States dedicated to the soul of a sinner buried in unconsecrated ground. It is affectionately called "El Tiradito"- the castaway. The many legends about its origin all involve a tragic triangle love affair in . . . — Map (db m83030) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Garcés FootbridgePuente de Garcés
Memorial to Francisco Garcés, explorer and first Franciscan missionary to the Pima village at the foot of Sentinel Peak. In 1770 Garcés and the Pimas constructed at that site the first substantial building in Tucson, a mission residence with two . . . — Map (db m83034) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Jácome’s
[ Four markers are mounted to a four sided kiosk. ] Side A: Jácome’s Department Stores, Inc. 1896 – 1980 This area was the final location of Jácome’s Department Store from 1951 to 1980. For twenty-nine years the . . . — Map (db m40049) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Leonardo Romero House
This house is named for its first known residents, living here in 1868. Although construction dates are not known, the Washington Street wing lies along the course of the Presidio wall, completed in 1783. Leonardo Romero, a carpenter whose shop was . . . — Map (db m83203) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Ochoa Street
Named during Arizona’s Territorial period to honor Estevan Ochoa (b.1831 – d.1888), whose ancestors arrived in Mexico with the Cortez expedition. He was born in Chihuahua, Mexico to a wealthy mining and ranching family. Before settling . . . — Map (db m70211) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — One Story from the Barrio ViejoThe History of Room 6
1914 Room 6 (originally addressed 202 W. 18th Street, and later 709 S. 8th Avenue), on the southeast corner of the excavated row house on Lot 10 (see map), housed several businesses throughout its history. In 1914, it was a blacksmith shop, . . . — Map (db m57789) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Plaza de la Mesilla
One of the few remaining sites which recall the Mexican heritage of Tucson, it acquired its name after the Gadsden Purchase (1854) as the terminus of the wagon road joining Tucson to the territorial capital, then at Mesilla. When San Agustin, the . . . — Map (db m83208) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Plaza de las Armas
The largest plaza within the Spanish presidio of San Agustin del Tucson, founded in 1775, this area was originally used for military formations and drill. After construction of the first Pima County courthouse (1870), the name was changed to Court . . . — Map (db m83209) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Plaza Militar
Once an open space, this area was within the original Spanish presidio. The plaza was probably named in the Mexican years (1821-1854), when soldiers drilled here. Saddle horses for the troops were stabled along the north side, next to the presidio . . . — Map (db m83210) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Presidio Wall
This marker locates the northwest corner of the adobe wall which surrounded the Royal Spanish Presidio San Agustín del Tucson. In 1776 the new outpost was garrisoned by seventy Spanish cavalry troopers and Indian scouts, transferred from Tubac under . . . — Map (db m83212) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Presidio Wall Camino Real
Near this site was the southwest corner of the adobe wall that surrounded the Spanish Presidio, an enclosure of 11 ¼ acres which included most of the present city – county governmental complex and the Art Museum block. Tucson was the largest . . . — Map (db m83214) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Sosa-Carillo-Frémont House
The earliest documents for this property indicate that the pioneering Sosa family lived here in the 1850s. In 1878, Manuela Sosa and her husband, Michael McKenna, sold the property to Jesús Suárez de Carrillo, wife of businessman Leopoldo Carrillo, . . . — Map (db m83228) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Teatro Carmen
Named for its founder, Carmen Soto Vásquez, this was one of the first theaters in Tucson devoted exclusively to the presentation of dramatic works in Spanish. From the opening night, May 20, 1915, with a performance of "Cerebro y Corazón" by the . . . — Map (db m83233) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Kerny — Sonora, Arizona
Immigrant Mexican miners working for the Ray Consolidated Copper Company named the town of Sonora, built near here in 1911. It boomed as a thriving, dynamic community, rich in Mexican culture, language and traditions. In the mid-1950's, the company . . . — Map (db m34133) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Picacho — Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail / Camp 21: El Aquituni
Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail While the American Revolution brewed on the Atlantic Coast, Spain expanded its New World empire to protect California against the British and Russians. In 1774, Juan Bautista de Anza, commander . . . — Map (db m82941) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Nogales — Montezuma Hotel
The Montezuma Hotel, sixty feet east of here, built in 1886, rebuilt twice, and closed in 1965, was the center of Nogales business and social life for more than half a century. The Office of owner George Christ, First U.S. Customs Collector of the . . . — Map (db m27082) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Joaquin Murrieta and Murrieta's Well
The legend of Joaquin Murrieta is one of the most enduring and fascinating of chapters in California history. Facts, fiction and romantic tales entangle to create a legend of unique aura that had become part of California's folklore, especially in . . . — Map (db m17944) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Casa Peralta
Three descendants of land grant recipient Luís Maria Peralta lived in this home. In 1926, Herminia Peralta Dargie (pictured above) remodeled the home in the style of a Spanish villa. Tiles depict the story of Don Quixote, and adobe bricks saved from . . . — Map (db m26398) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — 279 — Estudillo Home
Site of the last home of José Joaquin Estudillo, grantee of Rancho San Leandro and his wife, Juana Martínez de Estudillo. It was built about 1850. The family founded San Leandro, built a hotel, and donated several lots, including the original site . . . — Map (db m31390) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Quincy - Ione's Sister City
Quincy, located approximately 1 1/2 miles east of here off Mule Creek, was one of the cities within the boundaries of Rancho Arroyo, or the grant, that suddenly appeared in the early 1850's. Don Andreas Pico purchased the grant from Teodosio . . . — Map (db m94747) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Concord — Dedicated to the Founders of Todos Santos1994
{pictured above on the marker (left to right), Don Fernando Pacheco, 1818-1884; Don Salvio Pacheco, 1793-1876; Don Francisco Galindo, 1820-1891} In 1868 Don Salvio Pacheco; his son, Don Fernando Pacheco; and his son-in-law, Don Francisco . . . — Map (db m17440) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Concord — Francisco Galindo Home
Concord Historical Landmark Built in 1856 — Map (db m56583) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 511 — The Vicente Martinez Adobe - 1849
Vicente Martínez was born in Santa Barbara on August 18, 1818, the second son of Don Ygnacio and Martina de Arellano Martínez who were married in the Presidio Chapel at Santa Barbara 1802. Don Ygnacio Martínez was a Spanish officer at San Diego and . . . — Map (db m50827) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 511 — Vicente Martinez Adobe
In 1849, Vicente Martinez built a two-story adobe ranch house on his portion of the Rancho Pinole. This land was inherited from his father, Don Ignacio Martinez, a Spanish officer who became Comandante of the San Francisco Presidio and later Alcade . . . — Map (db m50821) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — Honoring the Ex-Braceros and Their ContributionsHonoramos los Ex-Braceros y Sus Contribuciones — 1942 - 1964
During and after World War II, nearly 5,000,000 contracted braceros came to work in agriculture and on the railroads, the majority in California and the San Joaquin Valley, under U.S. and Mexican Treaty, demonstrating their patriotism . . . — Map (db m41067) HM
California (Imperial County), Imperial — 944 — Site of Fort Romualdo Pacheco(1825 - 1826)
In 1774, Spain opened an overland route from Sonora to California but it was closed by Yuma Indians in 1781. In 1822, Mexico attempted to reopen this route. Lt. Romualdo Pacheco and soldiers built an adobe fort at this site in 1825-26, the only . . . — Map (db m50589) HM
California (Imperial County), Ocotillo — De Anza Overlook
Juan Bautista De Anza led two groups of Spanish explorers and settlers across this portion of the Colorado Desert from Northern Mexico to San Francisco Bay. During each tortuous passage, the Spanish camped below here in Yuha Wash. The passage in . . . — Map (db m50683) HM
California (Kern County), Delano — The Forty Acres
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark. This property possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. Forty Acres embodies and conveys multiple layers of national significance . . . — Map (db m54836) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Compton — 152 — Domínguez Ranch House
[The arch way leading to the grounds is flanked by two markers:] Right Marker: Domínguez Ranch House Central portion built in 1826 by Manuel Domínguez. Rancho San Pedro Ten square leagues granted, provisionally . . . — Map (db m64857) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 8 — The Lugo Ranch
The Lugos, a Spanish landgrant family, arrived in the pueblo de Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles in the 1700's and settled prior to 1900 on this site. This was originally a portion of Rancho La Ballona which was established by the Machados. . . . — Map (db m51869) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — 978 — Rancho Los Cerritos
The 27,000-acre Rancho was once part of an 18th-century Spanish land grant to soldier Manuel Nieto. The Monterey-style adobe was constructed in 1844 and served the Temple and Bixby families as headquarters for large-scale cattle and sheep ranching . . . — Map (db m50988) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — Ranchos
Los Alamitos • Los Cerritos This plaque marks the dividing line between the two ranchos on which Long Beach was subsequently built. Originally a part of a Spanish land grant to Manuel Nieto in 1784. They were partitioned between the heirs by . . . — Map (db m72706) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — Ranchos Los Alamitos - Los Cerritos - Los Coyotes
[Upper Marker - as seen in 2001] This monument marks the intersection of three original California Ranchos: Rancho Los Alamitos Rancho Los Cerritos Rancho Los Coyotes [Lower Marker - as seen in 2002] Ranchos Los Alamitos . . . — Map (db m50231) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Avila Adobe
This is the oldest existing house in Los Angeles. Built about 1818 by Don Francisco Avila, it was occupied briefly as American headquarters in 1847. Severely damaged in the earthquake of 1971, the house is now restored as an example of California . . . — Map (db m50943) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Father Junipero Serra 1713-1784
Upper marker - English Born on the island of Majorca, off the coast of Spain, Father Serra was ordained in Palma where he taught for fifteen years before being sent to Mexico as a missionary in 1749. In 1769 he became Padre Presidente of . . . — Map (db m54556) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — In Honor
Homage to Our Mexican-American Heroes Veterans of America's Wars. Covered with glory, their ideals of service provide power to America, for peace and for human dignity. Long live America during this time of such power. Homenaje a . . . — Map (db m54554) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Latino Blood, American Hearts
This site is dedicated to the Latino-American Heroes who received the Congressional Medal of Honor, our nation's highest award for bravery. For love of country, they performed above and beyond the call of duty. Heroes y compatriotas, con . . . — Map (db m74096) WM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 156 — Los Angeles Plaza
This site was part of the lands originally granted to El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles in 1781 by the King of Spain, Carlos III, under the Spanish Law of the Indies. The first plaza of the pueblo had been located to the southeast, closer to the . . . — Map (db m50945) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Main StreetEl Pueblo de Los Angeles
Main Street is one of the oldest streets in Los Angeles. Originally called by its Spanish name, Calle Principal, it was included in the first survey map of Los Angeles, drawn by Lt. E. O. C. Ord in 1849. The street ran from south of First . . . — Map (db m64219) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Merced TheatreEl Pueblo de Los Angeles
The Merced Theatre was built in 1870 and is one of the oldest structures erected in Los Angeles for the presentation of dramatic performances. It served as the center of theatrical activity in the city from 1871 to 1876. The theatre was built by . . . — Map (db m50952) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 159 — Pico HouseEl Pueblo de Los Angeles
The Pico House was built by Pio Pico, last Governor of California under Mexican rule, who lived almost the entire length of the nineteenth century from 1801 to 1894. This was the first three story building and the first grand hotel in Los Angeles. . . . — Map (db m50949) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — The Old Spanish TrailEl Antiguo Camino Español — 1829 - 1848
This plaque marks the end of the Old Spanish Trail, an historic pack trail from Santa Fe to the Pueblo of Los Angeles. This trail was used by Mexican traders who brought woolen goods from New Mexico to trade for highly prized California mules and . . . — Map (db m54874) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills, Los Angeles — Mission Dam
Rubble masonry water storage dam built by San Fernando Mission Indians in 1808. Water Flowed to the mission via a tiled pipe. Marked by El Camino Real Parlor No. 324 Native Daughters of the Golden West March 11, 1972 — Map (db m72610) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Montebello — 385 — Battle of the Rio San Gabriel
Near this site, on January 3, 1847, was fought the Battle of the Rio San Gabriel between American forces commanded by Capt. Robert F. Stockton, U.S. Navy, Commander-in- chief, Brig. Gen. Stephen W. Kearney, U.S. Army, and . . . — Map (db m51042) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Fernando — Casa de Lopez
Erected by Valentine Lopez - 1882 Occupied by Geronimo Lopez - 1884 Purchased by City of San Fernando - 1971 Survived Major Earthquake - 1971 Restored by San Fernando - 1974-75 — Map (db m48392) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Fernando — César Chávez Memorial — March 31, 1927 - April 23, 1993
Panel 1: “Show me the suffering of the most miserable So I will know my people’s plight.” “Free me to pray for others For you are present in every person.” “Help me take responsibility for my . . . — Map (db m79107) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Whittier — 127 — Casa de Governor Pío Pico
Following the Mexican War, Pío Pico, last Mexican governor, acquired 9,000-acre Rancho Paso de Bartolo and built here an adobe home that was destroyed by the floods of 1883-1884. His second adobe casa, now known as Pío Pico Mansion, represents a . . . — Map (db m50933) HM
California (Mariposa County), Hornitos — Hornitos
Started in 1850 by outcast Mexicans from nearby Quartzburg and given the name Hornitos, meaning “little ovens”, from the dome like rock and mud bake-ovens being used here by some Germans. The whites soon gained predominance, the . . . — Map (db m46904) HM
California (Mariposa County), Hornitos — Hornitos“Little Ovens of the Mother Lode”
Historic Jail Museum • History of 1849 • Relics Gold Rush Day Displays One of the Nations Most Famous Ghost Towns early population 15,000. Here was the first Wells Fargo Express Office in county. $40000 in gold sent to Mint daily by armed . . . — Map (db m46936) HM
California (Merced County), Los Banos — San Luis Camp Adobe
Oldest building in Merced County built in 1848 by Francisco Perez Pacheco and his son on Rancho San Luis Gonzaga. Later a stopping place for vaqueros while driving cattle to the gold fields. Eventually became part of Rancho Santa Rita. Long owned by . . . — Map (db m68940) HM
California (Merced County), Los Banos — The Old Adobe of Rancho San Luis Gonzaga
At a watering hole on the east side of Pacheco Pass, Juan Pacheco built this adobe for his rancho in the early 1840’s. The gun ports in the walls are visible reminders of the dangers from Yokuts Indians, marauding bands of ex-Mission Indians, and . . . — Map (db m63503) HM
California (Merced County), Santa Nella — 829 — Pacheco Pass
On June 18, 1805, Lieutenant Gabriel Moraga, on his first exploratory journey into the San Joaquin Valley traversed this pass and recorded it. Since then it has been trail, toll road, stagecoach road, and freeway -- the principal route between . . . — Map (db m70493) HM
California (Monterey County), Jolon — First Marriage in California
First Marriage in California took place at this Mission between Juan Maria Ruiz of El Fuerte, Sonora, Mexico, 25 years of age, and Margarita de Cortona, 22, a Salinan woman of Mission San Antonio, on the sixteenth of May in the year of Our Lord 1773 — Map (db m51561) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Royal Presidio Chapel
The Royal Chapel of San Carlos de Borromeo, founded June 3, 1770, is the only remaining Presidio chapel in California. Madariaga Adobe * Follow Church St. to Abrego Cell Phone Tour (831) 718-9123 enter 710 — Map (db m63569) HM
California (Monterey County), Soledad — Cesar Chavez ParkIn Commemoration and Appreciation — Dedicated on March 31, 2008
"Preservation of one's own culture does not require contempt or disrespect of other cultures." Cesar E. Chavez (1927-1993) Cesar Chavez was a Mexican American Labor leader & cofounder of the United Farm Worker (UFW). Cesar Chavez was . . . — Map (db m26874) HM
California (Monterey County), Soledad — One Voice Murals ProjectArts & Leadership Program
[1998] With the Santa Lucia, Gabilan mountain ranges and Pinnacles National Monument as the backdrop, Soledad has a rich history rooted in the original Spanish Mission land grants of early California. Soledad's original agricultural base was . . . — Map (db m41124) HM
California (Monterey County), Soledad — Site of Original Church
Dedicated October 9, 1791 and destroyed by floods in 1828 — Map (db m41127) HM
California (Napa County), Napa — Casa Las Trancas
About 200 feet north of this site, a short distance from the Napa River ford, stood Don Salvador Vallejo’s Casa Las Trancas, headquarters for his Rancho Napa— a land grant of over 3000 acres. Established in the 1840’s and known as “The . . . — Map (db m84129) HM
California (Orange County), Brea — Don Gaspor Portola
Don Gaspor Portola with 60 men camped here July 31, 1769 on his first exploring route from San Diego to Monterey. — Map (db m76454) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — 227 — Diego Sepúlveda Adobe
This home of early Spanish Californians, erected in the 1820's, once served as an "estancia" or station for mission herdsmen. It was dedicated in 1963 for public use by the Segerstrom Family and restored by the City of Costa Mesa. It is jointly . . . — Map (db m50306) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 6 — Colonia Jaurez
Established in 1923 with six streets on lots sized 50 by 300. A complete community with stores, recreation facilities, and churches. (Holy Family Mission still exists). — Map (db m59056) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 28 — Rancho Lucero
In 1944, Frank and Dolores Lucero purchased 40 acres at this intersection. They previously farmed in Seal Beach. Dolores didn't want to leave the house so it was moved to this location while Dolores and a few kids were inside. — Map (db m59554) HM
California (Orange County), Lake Forest — 199 — The Serrano Adobe
State of California Historic Landmark No. 199 La Casa de Adobe de Jose Serrano Home of Jose Serrano, original grantee of Rancho Canada de los Alisos Restored A.D. 1932 — Map (db m50117) HM
California (Orange County), Mission Viejo — 44 — Aliso Creek Adobes
This spring and the sycamore trees mark the area of an adobe house and outbuilding built in the 1840s by Jose Serrano, whose Rancho Canada de los Alisos stretched to the north. Within a short distance were the two adobes of Juan Avila's Rancho . . . — Map (db m50038) HM
California (Orange County), Orange — 45 — Grijalva Adobe Site
Juan Pablo Grijalva, a Spanish soldier, came to California with the Anza Expedition in 1776. On this hill he built one of the first adobes in what is now Orange County. In 1801 he petitioned for use of the land that became the Rancho Santiago de . . . — Map (db m50040) HM
California (Orange County), Orange — 204 — Old Santa Ana
Portola camped on bank of Santa Ana River in 1769. Jose Antonio Yorba, member of expedition, later returned to Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana. El Camino Real crossed river in this vicinity. Place was designated Santa Ana by travelers, and known by . . . — Map (db m50302) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — "El Adobe de Capistrano"
An historic landmark uniting the "Miguel Yorba Adobe" 1778 "Juzgado" (Court and Jail) 1812 — Map (db m51945) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — "Oliveras Home"
Circa 1890-1900 Restoration 1980 In memory of Delfina Olivares Matriarch of the San Juan Capistrano Historical Society — Map (db m51944) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Blas Aguilar Adobe
May date back to 1794. It was part of two buildings known as Hacienda Aguilar. This adobe is associated with Don Blas Aguilar, the last Alcalde (Mayor) of the Mexican period. — Map (db m51943) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Domingo Yorba Adobe
This 1830 structure is typical of San Juan Capistrano adobes of this period; thick walls and a wood shingle roof. The house was purchased by Domingo Oyharzabal in 1880 and occupied by his family for over 100 years. — Map (db m51939) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Garcia Adobe
Built in the 1840's by Manuel Garcia, it originally had a second story over only half of the ground floor. In 1880 the remaining space was covered by a second floor and a balcony was added. It was a post office in the 1870's, a hotel from 1880 to . . . — Map (db m51938) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Historic Town Center Park / The Mendelson Inn
[Eastern Side] Historic Town Center Park Today the San Juan Capistrano down town and Mission San Juan Capistrano are situated on the site of the Juaneño village of Acjachema. History explains that in 1769 the first Spanish . . . — Map (db m51947) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Mission San Juan Capistrano
"Jewel of the Missions" founded on November 1, 1776 by father Junipero Serra, most renown and most beautiful of the California Missions, Quaint little Serra Chapel is California's oldest building still in use. The magnificent ruins of the Great . . . — Map (db m51942) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Montanez Adobe
Constructed in 1794 as one of forty adobes built to house mission Indians. Named for Polonia Montanez, a nineteenth century resident. Owned by Mr. and Mrs. Forrest Dunivin. Preserved by San Juan Capistrano Historical Society. Restored in 1981 by . . . — Map (db m51935) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Pablo Pryor Adobe-Hide House
Situated below this hill, directly below the hotel, is the Pablo Pryor Adobe-Hide House. Built perhaps as early as 1790, it is possibly the oldest standing adobe in California. During the Rancho period, it was used for storing cattle hide from the . . . — Map (db m93033) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Site of the Valenzuela Adobe
Antonio Valenzuela, early pioneer of the town of San Juan Capistrano, built the adobe in the early 1840s, probably on the ruins of a mission Indian adobe dating to the 1790s. Later Valenzuela family members worked as local cowboys or vaqueros. The . . . — Map (db m51934) HM
California (Riverside County), Anza — 20 — Juan Diego Flats
In this valley a conflict between the culture of the Indian and the white man resulted in the death of Juan Diego (Alessandro of the play Romona) by the hands of Sam Temple. — Map (db m78591) HM
California (Riverside County), Corona — 224 — Site of Third Serrano Adobe
Nearby, an adobe house was built about 1867. It was occupied until 1898 by Leandro Serrano's widow, Josefa. Under Spanish law, she owned the surrounding 20,000-acre Rancho Temescal; but her ownership was denied by the US Supreme Court. — Map (db m50645) HM
California (Riverside County), Corona — Tanning Vat
Tanning Vat Built in 1819 by Leonardo Serrano Site Restored by TR 172 El Capitan Dist. BSA — Map (db m51463) HM
California (Riverside County), Riverside — 943 — Jensen-Alvarado Ranch
Danish sea captain Cornelius Jensen sailed to San Francisco during the Gold Rush to sell his cargo. In 1854 he settled in Agua Mansa, established a store, and married Mercedes Alvarado, a descendant of a pioneer Californio family. The Jensens . . . — Map (db m50685) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — California Mexican-American War Memorial
In memory of the American Servicemen of Hispanic descent and all others who sacrificed their lives to protect the freedoms we enjoy. — Map (db m15474) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Rededication of El Centro Mexicano PlaqueSeptember 16, 2011
First panel: The Comité Centro Mexicano commemorates the same respect and sense of equality dictated by this historical plaque. With great honor we re-dedicate it in honor of all humanity on this date. From 1948 to 1975, El Centro . . . — Map (db m91735) HM
California (San Benito County), San Juan Bautista — Progress Becomes HistoryEl Progresso se Combirtió en Historia
English: Residents Built and Destroyed on this Corner The first permanent structures here were the adobe apartments for the Mission military families. In 1856, a wooden Wells Fargo Express Office replaced the adobe ruins. . . . — Map (db m82205) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Loma Linda — 95 — Guachama Rancheria
"Guachama Rancheria, lying along this road, was named San Bernardino May 20, 1810, by Francisco Dumetz. In 1819 it became the San Bernardino Rancho of Mission San Gabriel. The adobe administration building stood about 70 yds. north of this spot, an . . . — Map (db m51015) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Rancho Cucamonga — Red HillCity of Rancho Cucamonga Historic Point of Interest
This site sits at the base of the prominent Red Hill Landmark. The early historic importance of the property stems from its proximity to a reliable water source, Cucamonga Creek, and to its location on the major roadway between Los Angeles and San . . . — Map (db m53036) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Yucaipa — 528 — Yucaipa Adobe
Consructed in 1842 by Diego Sepulveda, nephew of Antonio Maria Lugo, this is believed to be the oldest house in San Bernardino County. The land, formerly controlled by San Gabriel Mission, was part of Rancho San Bernardino, granted to the Lugos in . . . — Map (db m51018) HM
California (San Diego County), Anza-Borrego Desert State Park — 639 — Palm Spring
Here was a palm-studded desert resting place, 1826-1866, for Mexican pioneers, mountain men, the Army of the West, Mormon Battalion, Boundary Commission, Forty-Niners, Railway Survey, Butterfield Overland Mail stages, and California Legion. It was . . . — Map (db m51578) HM
California (San Diego County), Carlsbad — 1020 — Leo Carrillo Ranch(Rancho de Los Kiotes)
Between 1937 and 1940, these adobe and wood buildings were built by actor Leo Carrillo as a retreat, working ranch, and tribute to old California culture and architecture. The Leo Carrillo Ranch, with its Flying "LC" brand, originally covered 2,538 . . . — Map (db m51105) HM
California (San Diego County), Escondido — 533 — San Pasqual Battlefield
While marching to the conquest and occupation of California during the Mexican War, a detachment of 1st U.S. Dragoons, under the command of Brig. Gen. Stephen W. Kearny, was met on this site by native California lancers under, the command of Gen. . . . — Map (db m51095) HM
California (San Diego County), Lakeside — 425 — Mexican GrantCommemorating Cañada de Los Coches Rancho, — Smallest Mexican Land Grant in Calif.
. . . — Map (db m88571) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 74 — Casa de Carrillo
Presidio Comandante Francisco Maria Ruiz built this house next to his 1808 pear garden late in 1821 for his close relative and fellow soldier, Joaquin Carrillo, and his large family. From this adobe dwelling, in April 1829, daughter Josefa Carrillo . . . — Map (db m82465) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 52 — Mission Dam and Flume
After many attempts dated back to 1774 to provide a reliable source of water for crops and livestock for Mission San Diego de Alcala, a dam and flume system was finished between 1813 and 1816 by Indian laborers and Franciscan Missionaries to divert . . . — Map (db m51074) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Original Foundation Casa de Aguirrec. 1853
The stone pilings seen in this archaeological excavation unit are part of the original foundation of the Casa de Aguirre built circa 1853. The original adobe mansion extended ten feet to the east of where the current building ends. The 21st century . . . — Map (db m71058) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 891 — Spanish Landing
Near this point, sea and land parties of the Portola-Serra Expedition met. Two ships, the San Antonio and San Carlos, anchored on May 4-5, 1769. The scurvy-weakened survivors of the voyage established a camp, where on May 14 and July 1 they greeted . . . — Map (db m51104) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 784 — El Camino Real
This plaque is placed on the 250th anniversary of the birth of California’s apostle, Padre Junípero Serra, O.F.M. to mark the northern terminus of El Camino Real as Padre Serra knew it and helped to blaze it. 1713 - November 24 - 1963 . . . — Map (db m32169) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — CHL 1024 — Juana Briones y Tapia de Miranda1802 – 1889 — North Beach Pioneer
Juana Briones, born in Hispanic California, was a preeminent woman of her time. In the 1830s and 1840s she transformed an isolated cove in the then Mexican hamlet of Yerba Buena into her rancho. At the site of this park she raised cattle and grew . . . — Map (db m58383) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Little Chile
The area bounded by Montgomery, Pacific, Jackson and Kearny streets was known as “Chilecito” or “Little Chile” & was established during the gold rush period by Chilean settlers. — Map (db m58384) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Pioneer Monument / California Native Americans
[Panel 1:] Pioneer Monument Sculptor, Frank Happersberger (1859-1932) Dedicated to the City of San Francisco on November 29, 1894, the Pioneer Monument was a gift of philanthropist James Lick. Lick, who died in 1876, left . . . — Map (db m32183) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 327-1 — Site of Original Mission Dolores Chapel and Dolores Lagoon / Rammaytush
[FrontLargo de los Dolores (Lake of the Sorrows), and offered the first mass. The first . . . — Map (db m32067) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Vallejo Street
This marker consists of six plaques arranged in a 2 X 3 pattern. The top left plaque is the title plaque and may contain some text. The top right plaque displayed an arrow which points in the direction of the named street. Other plaques contain . . . — Map (db m73083) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), San Miguel — Cross of El Camino Real
El Camino Real, the Royal Highway, connected the California missions. At the beginning it was a trail, and a cross carved into the bark of trees showed the right path. This was such a tree, and the cross was lost until the day the tree fell (near . . . — Map (db m64680) HM
California (San Mateo County), Burlingame — CHL 48 — Anza Expedition Camp
The Anza Expedition of 1776, on its way up the Peninsula to locate sites for the Presidio and the Mission of San Francisco, camped here on March 26 at a dry watercourse a short league beyond Arroyo de San Mateo. Location: El Camino Real and . . . — Map (db m93310) HM
California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — Soledad O. de Arguello1897 - 1874
Left Side - English She donated 59,000 acres of land for the benefit of all people. Right Side - Spanish Donadora de 59,000 acres par beneficio de la comunidad — Map (db m62575) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Carpinteria — 535 — La Carpinteria (1769)
The Chumash Indian Village of "Mishopshnow," discovered by Juan Rodriquez Cabrillo, August 14, 1542, was located one-fourth of mile southwest of here. Fray Juan Crespi of the Gaspar de Portola expedition named it "San Roque," August 17, 1769. . . . — Map (db m50555) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — 308 — Casa Covarrubas
Built by Indian labor in 1817 for Don Domingo Carrillo, whose daughter married Don Jose Maria Covarrubias in 1838. Descendants of these families, many of them leaders in public affairs, occupied this house for over a century. Don Jose Maria was the . . . — Map (db m50550) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — 307 — De La Guerra Plaza1850 - 1950
Near this site August 26, 1850, two weeks before California Statehood, duly elected common council, City of Santa Barbara, held first official meeting. Here in 1875, first City Hall erected and area still center of city's governmental activities. . . . — Map (db m50548) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — 721 — Hill-Carrillo Adobe
Built in 1826 by Daniel Hill of Massachusetts for his bride Rafaela Luisa Ortega Y Olivera, granddaughter of Jose Francisco Ortega, founder and first Commandante of the Royal Presidio of Santa Barbara. Later occupied by the family of Guillermo . . . — Map (db m50559) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Jose Lobero's Opera House1873
On this site, February 22, 1873, Jose Lobero, impressario and musician, opened the first legitimate theatre in southern California. The Lobero continues to serve the cultural interests of Santa Barbara one hundred years later. — Map (db m50920) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — 361 — Old Lobero Theatre
Jose Lobero opened the region's first legitimate theatre on this site February 22, 1873. For many years the old theatre was the center of social life in Santa Barbara. A new Lobero Theatre, opened in 1924 on the same site, continues to serve the . . . — Map (db m50553) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — 636 — Site of Royal Spanish Presidio
This presidio was established under orders of King Carlos III, April 19-21, 1782, by Governor Felipe De Neve, Padre Junipero Serra and Lieutenant Jose Francisco Ortega, to provide the benefits of government for the inhabitants of the Santa Barbara . . . — Map (db m50557) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Solvang — Mission Santa Ines
Has been designated a NATIONAL HISTORIC LANDMARK This religious complex possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. Mission Santa Ines, founded in 1804, is one of the finest examples of a . . . — Map (db m11673) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Cupertino — 800 — Arroyo de San Joseph Cupertino
This arroyo honoring San Joseph, patron saint of flight and students, was first discovered and traversed by Spanish explorers in 1769. On March 25-26, 1776 Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza made it his encampment No. 99 as mapped by his cartographer . . . — Map (db m54025) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — 524 — Site of Juana Briones de Miranda Home on Rancho La Purisima Concepcion
In 1844 Juana de Briones de Miranda, a pioneer Latina property owner, businesswoman and humanitarian, purchased the 4,439 acre Rancho La Purisima Concepcion from Indian grantee Jose Gorgornio. The grant extended two miles south, encompassing . . . — Map (db m54016) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776
Lt. Juan Bautista de Anza and party crossed this area in March 1776. en route to select sites for the Presido and the Mission of San Francisco In the center of the marker is a circular motif, designed by Doris Birkland Beezley, of a rider . . . — Map (db m38342) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 433 — First Site of El Pueblo de San Jose de Guadalupe
Within a year after the opening of the first overland route from Mexico to Alta California, Governor Filipe de Neve authorized the establishment of the first civil settlement in the state on lands including and surrounding the present Civic Center. . . . — Map (db m52937) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 898 — Roberto – Suñol Adobe
This historic adobe was built in 1836 by a native Californian, Roberto Balermino, on Rancho de los Coches. The property was officially granted to him by Governor Micheltorna in 1844. A larger one-story dwelling was built in 1847 by the new owner, . . . — Map (db m52119) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — SpanishTown
Established in December, 1845, Spanishtown developed as Indians, Californios and immigrants from Peru, Argentina and Mexico built their homes on the hill above Deep Gulch. Cinnabar was first mined from a nearby cave known to local Indians. Later in . . . — Map (db m50750) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — The Bernal Adobe Site and Bear Tree
This parcel, known as the Bernal Adobe Site, is part of the Rancho Santa Teresa Historic District of Santa Clara County. Ancestors of Mowekma Ohlone Indians used this area as a large permanent cemetery and village site as long ago as 3,000 years due . . . — Map (db m52767) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — The Juan Bautista de Anza Trail
The Juan Bautista de Anza National HistoricTrail marks a 1,200 mile route that brought settlers to California from Tubac, in present-day Arizona, to what is now San Francisco. The Spanish planned a system of Presidios, or military . . . — Map (db m30147) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Santa Clara — Luis Arguello HomeSanta Clara and Main Streets — Point of Historical Interest
Two story classic Georgian Colonial Revival rests on solid redwood foundation. Built before 1870 by Luis Arguello, son of first governor of California under Mexican Rule. 1901 residence and office of Dr. George H. Worrall, DDS., long time . . . — Map (db m52899) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Santa Clara — Mission Corral Site
This site is what remains of the original Mission Santa Clara corral, which once covered about 6 acres and was enclosed by an adobe wall. In 1847, marking the transition from Spanish/Mexican mission to American town, William Campbell mapped the . . . — Map (db m52900) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Santa Clara — The Berryessa AdobeThis Adobe House — Culture and Structure Together
The Berryessa Adobe was built at a crossroad in California history. When constructed in the 1840s, Spanish colonial building traditions were blending with American influences. The builders constructed adobe walls on stone foundations and used soil . . . — Map (db m52932) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Watsonville — Where Strawberries are SweeterBienvenido! Welcome! — Mural by Alvaro 6/96
Watsonville, where strawberries are sweeter, apples are crisper and produce plentiful, is a friendly place of diverse people who share a strong sense of community and optimism. Don Sebastian Rodriquez owned the grant, Bolsa de Pajaro, on which . . . — Map (db m54880) HM
California (Sonoma County), Petaluma — 18 — Vallejo's Petaluma Adobe
Petaluma Adobe served as the center for General Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo’s 66,000-acre working rancho from 1836-1846. It was once the largest privately owned adobe building in northern California; Vallejo sold the building and surrounding acres in . . . — Map (db m71981) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Columbia — A Cosmopolitan SocietyWith a Dash of Gold!
Columbia was a boomtown. The discovery of gold in 1850 attracted thousands of miners here. As more people arrived, the demand for goods, services and entertainment soared. In the gold rush, Columbia stores and other businesses thrived. . . . — Map (db m53301) HM
California (Ventura County), Piru — 553 — Rancho Camulos
Rancho Camulos has been designated a National Historic Landmark This residential complex possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America Ygnacio del Valle established Rancho Camulos . . . — Map (db m51033) HM
California (Ventura County), Simi Valley — 979 — Rancho Simi (1795)
This is the site of the headquarters of the Spanish Rancho San Jose de Nuestra Senora de Altagarcia y Simi. The name derives from "Shimiji," the name of the Chumash village here before the Spanish. At 113,000 acres, Rancho Simi was one of the . . . — Map (db m51040) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 115 — Olivas Adobe
This adobe is the only early two-story adobe in the Santa Clara River Valley. A small one-story adobe, built in 1837 was enlarged in 1849 by Don Raimundo Olivas: a prosperous cattle rancher. Continuous use has preserved the adobe for public viewing. — Map (db m51032) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — Olivas Adobe1837
The original small adobe on this site was built by Don Raimundo Olivas and his son, Nicolas, in 1837. The present structure was begun in 1847, with roof beams from the Santa Paula Canyon, and tiles made from native soil. Don Raimundo lived in this . . . — Map (db m51424) HM
Colorado (Pueblo County), Pueblo — Teresita Sandoval(1811–1894)
Teresita Sandoval was one of the daring souls that arrived at the Pueblo settlement in 1841. Like other women of that time, she would witness and be partner to changes in her country. She departed from her traditional life as the wife of Manuel . . . — Map (db m64751) HM
Colorado (Sedgwick County), Julesburg — 223 — Welcome to Colorado
Colorado's vast plains, rugged mountains, and grand plateaus, so magnificent in their beauty and variety, seem at times to overshadow the state's history and people. But look closely. The story of Colorado is every bit as dramatic as the physical . . . — Map (db m47324) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — 16 — Cesar Chavez1927 - 1993
Led by his desire to secure a better quality of life for migrant farm workers, Cesar Chavez helped found the United Farm Workers of America, the first effective farm workers' union in the United States. Under his leadership of nonviolent protest, . . . — Map (db m15471) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — 8 — Mount Pleasant: The Immigrants' Journey
Low cost housing in Mount Pleasant in the decades following World War II made it an ideal place for immigrants to the area. Refugees fleeing World War II and the Cold War in Eastern Europe were the first group to arrive. A small Czech community . . . — Map (db m68731) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams-Morgan — 6 of 18 — The Latino CommunityRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
This is the heart of Washington’s Latino community. Once centered here and in nearby Mount Pleasant and Columbia Heights, the community now extends throughout the region. As early as the 1910s, the Mexican, Ecuadoran, Cuban, and Spanish . . . — Map (db m17167) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — Ysabel I, La Catolica[Queen Isabella of Spain and the Americas]
Panel 1, east side of pedestal, facing 17th St.: Ysabel I La Catolica Reina de Castilla de Aragon de las Islas y Tierra Firme del Mar Oceano Panel 2, upper west side of pedestal, facing OAS Hdqts.: Esta estatua fue . . . — Map (db m65257) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Pleasant — 1 of 17 — Fashionable 16th StreetVillage in the City — Mount Pleasant Heritage Trail
Today's 16th Street from the White House to Silver Spring, Maryland is one of the city's key gateways. But through the 1890s it jogged left where Mt. Pleasant Street runs today and then dead-ended at the edge of today's Rock Creek Park. After . . . — Map (db m17138) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shaw — Marlon Francisco MoralesLaw Enforcement Officer, Husband, Father and Friend — December 26, 1968 - June 13, 2001
In honor of Metro Transit Police Officer Marlon Francisco Morales, who was mortally wounded at the U Street/African American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo Metrorail Station on June 10, 2001. — Map (db m15473) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Cantonment — Vacaria Baja
Home and ranch of Don Manuel Gonzalez was one-half mile east. Consisted of 1600 arpents conceded by Spanish Governor, Jose Mascot, Dec. 22, 1817. On route of Andrew Jackson 1814, 1818 and in 1821, when General and Mrs. Jackson spent three . . . — Map (db m72234) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-383 — Centro Español de Tampa
Chartered on September 7, 1891, El Centro Español was the first Latin club organized in Ybor City. As a mutual aid society, it provided early Spanish immigrants with a framework by which they maintained their identity and culture while . . . — Map (db m31711) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Columbia RestaurantFounded 1905
The Columbia is the oldest and largest Spanish restaurant in the United States. It was opened as a cafe for cigarmakers by Casimiro Hernandez, Sr. When he died in 1930 his son Casimiro Hernandez, Jr. then brought it to its present glory. The . . . — Map (db m31702) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-386 — El Centro Asturiano de Tampa
Spanish immigrants from the province of Asturias formed El Centro Asturiano de Tampa in 1902 as a mutual aid society to meet the recreational, social, educational, and medical needs of its members. In an effort to broaden the concept of . . . — Map (db m32185) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-382 — El Circulo Cubano(Cuban Club)
Late 19th and early 20th century Cuban immigration to the United States was impressive for the craft talents brought to the country. Along with their Spanish counterparts, skilled Cuban cigarmakers made Tampa's hand-rolled cigars world-famous. As . . . — Map (db m31710) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — First Lt. Baldomero LopezTampa Native — Awarded Congressional Medal Of Honor
During the Inchon invasion in Korea, September 15, 1950, Marine 1st Lieutenant Lopez's platoon was engaging the enemy. Exposing himself to hostile fire he attempted to hurl a grenade into the pillbox whose fire was pinning them down. Wounded, he . . . — Map (db m31703) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-39 — Founding of the Cigar Industry in Tampa
In 1886 two cigar factories were completed at Tampa signaling the founding of the industry in the area. Pioneer manufacturer was Vincente Martinez Ybor, a native of Spain, who had made cigars at Havana and Key West. Ybor's move to Tampa was . . . — Map (db m31704) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Gary
  The name Gary was officially recognized with the establishment of the Gary post office in 1898. The official plat of "Gary-Town" was recorded in May 1903. The Gary neighborhood included both Gary-Town and Spanish Park, located to its east. The . . . — Map (db m33926) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Historic Emilio Pons Cigar Factory
Emilio Pons, a pioneer Tampa cigar manufacturer, and an outstanding public servant, established the first cigar factory of local origin on this site in 1887. Here on October 12, 1894, Jose Marti, the Cuban liberator, delivered his last . . . — Map (db m32828) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — La Casa de Pedroso1893
  Paulina Pedroso was one of the great women patriots of Cuba. After an attempt on the life of Jose Marti, the Pedroso House became his refuge.   Whenever Marti stayed here the flag of the budding Republic of Cuba fluttered outside. Evenings, the . . . — Map (db m31931) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — La Casa de Pedroso1893
Paulina Pedroso fue insigne patriota Cubana. Tras el atentado contra Jose Marti, la Casa Pedroso se hizo refugio del Apostol. Siempre que aqui se hospedara Marti desplegabase en la fachada la bandera de la naciente Republica Cubana. De noche . . . — Map (db m31935) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — La Liga Patriotica De InstruccionEst. 1889 — (The Patriot League Instruction)
On this corner was located the famous night school which was established for the welfare of the Cuban emigres of the flourishing cigar center. Classes were conducted by Don Jose Guadalupe Rivero. To these compatriots who worked with tabacco . . . — Map (db m31709) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Our Lady of Perpetual HelpEstablished 1890
Situated on land purchased from Vincente Martinez-Ybor with a donation from Henry Flagler, Father Philippe de Carriere, S.J. purchased this land for the local diocese to minister to the influx of Spanish speaking immigrants. In September 1890 a . . . — Map (db m43997) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Roland M. ManteigaJanuary 16, 1920 – September 25, 1998
Roland Manteiga chronicled events and politics that shaped Tampa and Ybor city and championed human rights for more than 40 years through his weekly column “As we heard it.” From his private table at La Tropicana Restaurant, where he . . . — Map (db m49927) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-387 — Sociedad La Union Marti~Maceo
When local segration forced the withdrawal of Afro-Cubans from El Club Nacional Cubano, an organization of black and white Cubans involved in Cuban independence, Afro-Cuban cigarmakers founded a society in 1900 as Los Libres Pensadores de Marti . . . — Map (db m31708) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Tampa's Oldest Restaurant1890
Las Novedades was founded on this site when Ybor City was a tiny village. Its proprietor was Manuel (Canuto ) Menendez. The coffee shop was a favorite rendezvous for the pioneer cigarmakers of Sanchez y Haya Cigar Factory located across the . . . — Map (db m31705) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Beginning of the Cigar Industry in West Tampa
A cigar factory built on this site in June 1892 by Hugh C. Macfarlane brought the first industry to the community of West Tampa. First operated by A. Del Pino and Company, it failed financially. In 1894 the O'Halloran Cigar Company occupied the . . . — Map (db m46945) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — TP 91 — The Krewe of the Knights of Sant' Yago
In 1175, Pope Alexander III, authorized "La Orden Real Sant' Yago" to protect the Pilgrims' Way to the shrine of Santiago (St. James), at Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain. Among the Spanish conquerors of America, Ponce De Leon, Panfile De . . . — Map (db m33058) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Vicente Martinez-YborPioneer of the Cigar Industry in Florida and Founder of Ybor City
Born in Valencia, Spain on September 7, 1818 and died in Ybor City on December 14, 1896 and buried at Oaklawn Cemetery in downtown Tampa. In 1853 at an early age the adventurous Spaniard left his native land and traveled to Cuba which was under . . . — Map (db m31706) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Ybor City's First Fire Station1888
The Mirta Hook and Ladder Volunteer Fire Station was established on this site. The station was named in honor of the youngest daughter of Don Vicente Martinez Ybor, founder of Ybor City. Capt. Frank Puglisi headed the fire fighters. Volunteer . . . — Map (db m31887) HM
Florida (Marion County), Ocala — OcalaMarion County
In 1539 Spanish explorers under Hernando de Soto discovered in this vicinity a populous native country called Ocali. From this Timucuan name is derived Ocala,, a designation distinctive among the oldest place-names of Florida. Marion County, named . . . — Map (db m90554) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Florida City — F-739 — Operation Pedro PanOperación Pedro Pan
On this site, which was officially known as the Florida City Shelter of the Catholic Welfare Bureau’s Children’s Program, thousands of Operation Pedro Pan children found refuge from Communist Cuba between 1961 and 1966. Operation Pedro Pan was . . . — Map (db m71917) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Impact of the "Bay of Pigs" on Miami
In the early months of 1961 Cuban refugees in Miami flew from Opa-Locka airport to Guatemala to become part of the almost 1300 men of Brigade 2506. The Brigade's Bay of Pigs Invasion on April 17,1961, resulted in defeat with over 100 men killed . . . — Map (db m87438) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Menendez on Biscayne Bay1567
Don Pedro Menendez de Aviles, Adelantado of Florida and founder of St. Augustine, landed here at the chief village of the Tequesta Indians early in 1567. He returned several Indians held captive on the West Coast and established friendly relations . . . — Map (db m88324) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The Tower of SnowEnrique Martínez Celaya — American (born in Cuba, 1964)
2012, Bronze 132 x 89 x 64 in. The Tower of Snow by distinguished Cuban-born artist Enrique Martínez Celaya honors the 50th anniversary of Operation Pedro Pan, which brought thousands of Cuban children, without their parents, to the United States in . . . — Map (db m71941) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Rafters
This plaque is in memory of the many Cubans who were desperate to leave Castros' communist Cuba. They left their homes and families trying to cross the 90 miles of sea in rafts, innertubes or anything that would float. Not knowing what rough . . . — Map (db m83553) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Fernandez-Llambias House
This house was already extant in 1763, when Spain ceded Florida to Great Britain. It was then a one-story, two-room, shingle-roofed coquina stone structure owned by Pedro Fernandez. A British owner added the loggia. In 1784, when the Spanish . . . — Map (db m77290) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Fort Matanzas National Monument
The Spanish built Fort Matanzas in 1740-42 to control Matanzas inlet, the "back door" to St. Augustine. Much earlier, in 1565, Spain had bloodily crushed here a French challenge to her control of Florida by killing the remnants of a French colony . . . — Map (db m27271) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Los FloridanosFlorida's First European Families 1565-1763
"Los Floridanos" referred to the children born to the Spanish settlers of St. Augustine during the First Spanish Period (1565-1763). Translated it means "The Floridians" and record of this title can be found in many Spanish Government documents, . . . — Map (db m46633) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Old Spanish Trail Zero Milestone
Old Spanish Trail Zero Milestone St Augustine Fla to San Diego Calif — Map (db m39787) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-804 — Solla-Carcaba Cigar Factory
The Solla-Carcaba Cigar Factory, completed in 1909, is the last remnant in St. Augustine of the cigar industry, whose local origins date to the 1830s. Political unrest drove many Cuban cigar makers to Florida after 1868. Their numbers in St. . . . — Map (db m77391) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — A Clash Of Cultures
The skirmish at Bloody Marsh was more than a battle. It was a clash of cultures - each vying for control of what is now the southeastern United States. Soldiers from Hispanic colonies in the New World fought under the Spanish banner, with the . . . — Map (db m63869) HM
Kansas (Lyon County), Emporia — Emporia's Mexican American Veterans Memorial
In honor of the Mexican American men and women of Emporia, Kansas, who proudly served their country Killed in Action WWII Jesse Garcia • Robert Ramirez — Map (db m49836) HM
Kansas (Lyon County), Emporia — World War II Memorial at St. Catherine's Church
Honoring those who served us in World War II [Honor Roll of Names] — Map (db m50020) HM
Kansas (Rice County), Lyons — Fray Juan de Padilla
This Cross is erected to the memory of Father Padilla, Franciscan Missionary, who stood with Coronado at the erection of the first Christian Cross on these prairies. Father Padilla devoted his life to the service of the Cross and to the Indians of . . . — Map (db m53320) HM
Kansas (Shawnee County), Topeka — Mariachi Divina!Mariachi Estrella de Topeka Musical Tribute
In 1977, seven women from Kansas banded together to share with America, the traditions, culture and music of Mexico - and Mariachi Estrella de Topeka was born. Originally a choir of Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, the group rose to become regional . . . — Map (db m48492) HM
Louisiana (Natchitoches Parish), Natchitoches — El Camino RealKing's Highway — Old San Antonio Trace
Traveled by St. Denis in 1714 from Natchitoches to the Rio Grande Natchitoches, the oldest town in La., was established in 1714 — Map (db m69237) HM
Louisiana (Natchitoches Parish), Robeline — El Camino Real De Los TejasRoyal Road Of The Tejas Indians
This early road connected the presidio, "Nuestra Senora del Pilar de los Adaes", to the royal authority in Mexico City. An elected representative from Los Adaes traveled 1300 miles to Mexico City where he collected the soldiers' salaries and . . . — Map (db m86807) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Lower Pontalba Building — Pontalba Buildings National Historic Landmark
[Logo of the Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission] Erected 1850 - 1851 by Micaela Almonster Baroness De Pontalba working first with James Gallier, architect, and then with Henry Howard, architect. Samuel Stewart, builder. . . . — Map (db m34846) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — Juan Ramón Jiménez — (1881-1958)
Spanish Poet, 1956 Nobel Laureate Member of the former Department of Foreign Languages of the University of Maryland (1943-1951) “This is my liberty: smelling the rose, Cutting the cold water with my crazy hand, . . . — Map (db m61308) HM
Minnesota (Ramsey County), Saint Paul — Welcome to Dale Street Station
The Frogtown neighborhood developed in the late 19th Century as residents spilled over from the adjacent downtown area. Many of these early residents worked in the growing railroad industry or at the Saint Paul Foundry, which operated through . . . — Map (db m79454) HM
Minnesota (Ramsey County), Saint Paul — Welcome to Victoria Street Station
The Frogtown and Rondo community that surround Victoria Street Station are rich in history and culture, elements of which live on today. The historic Rondo neighborhood was heavily influenced by the railroad industry. There was a time when a . . . — Map (db m79456) HM
Missouri (Cape Girardeau County), Cape Girardeau — Don Louis Lorimier / El Camino Real
Don Louis Lorimier On this site stood the home of Don Louis Lorimier first commandant of the Spanish Military Post established here in 1793

Erected by the Nancy Hunter Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1917

El Camino Real . . . — Map (db m52042) HM

Nebraska (Platte County), Columbus — 305 — The Villasur Expedition1720
In June 1720 a Spanish military force led by Sir Pedro de Villasur left Santa Fe, New Mexico, to gather information on French activities near the Missouri River. The force included 45 veteran soldiers, 60 Pueblo Indian allies, some Apache scouts, . . . — Map (db m53143) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Cuarto Centenario Memorial
La Jornada (The Journey), the bronze sculptural grouping on the corner along with the adjacent earthen work Numbe Whageh (Our Center Place) make up the City of Albuquerque's 1% for the Arts Funds Cuarto Centenario Memorial. The memorial commemorates . . . — Map (db m71142) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Don Francisco Cuervo y ValdesFounder of Albuquerque — April 23, 1706
Illustrious son of the Province of Asturias Spain, Governor of New Mexico. Sculpture funded by the City of Albuquerque 1% for Arts Program as per City Council Resolution 57, 1984. Buck McCain, Artist, Santa Fe Bronze, Inc. . . . — Map (db m70364) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Graciela Olivárez(1928-1987) — New Mexico Historic Women Marker Initiative
Side A: Attorney, public servant, and activist, Graciela Olivárez was a high school dropout who became the first woman graduate of Notre Dame Law School where an award is presented each year in her name. She led national anti-poverty . . . — Map (db m45225) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — La Doctora María Dolores Gonzáles(1917-1975)
Side A: Dr. Gonzales was a pioneer in bilingual and bicultural education. She developed educational materials for students in New Mexico and Latin America and trained teachers in the curriculum. Born in Pecos, “Lola” taught . . . — Map (db m45227) HM
New Mexico (Catron County), Reserve — Elfego Baca1865-1945
"I will show the Texans there is at least one Mexican in the county who is not afraid of an American cowboy" Elfego Baca - 1884 In October 1884, seven drunken cowboys committed horrific acts against two Mexican men in Upper Frisco, (modern . . . — Map (db m88497) HM
New Mexico (Catron County), Reserve — Reserve
Population 600 — Elevation 5765 ft. Located in the San Francisco Valley, Reserve was named upper San Francisco Plaza by its original Hispanic settlers in 1874. The name was later changed to Reserve in recognition of the U.S. Forest Service . . . — Map (db m36258) HM
New Mexico (Catron County), Reserve — Reserve
Population 600 — Elevation 5765 ft. Located in the San Francisco Valley, Reserve was named upper San Francisco Plaza by its original Hispanic settlers in 1874. The name was later changed to Reserve in recognition of the U.S. Forest Service . . . — Map (db m36261) HM
New Mexico (Curry County), Melrose — Estella García/Fabric Artists: Women of the WPA
This is a two sided marker Side A: Estella García Estella García taught colcha embroidery at Melrose, New Mexico, for the Federal Arts Program in the 1930s. Anglo and Hispana women in Garcia's class collaborated to . . . — Map (db m73703) HM
New Mexico (Guadalupe County), La Loma — Mela Leger-Bilingual Education Pioneer(1928-2006)
Side A: At four, Manuelita de Atocha (Mela) Lucero Leger read Spanish language newspapers to her blind grandfather in Colonias. Although New Mexico's constitution protects Spanish-speaking students, school children were often punished . . . — Map (db m45893) HM
New Mexico (Mora County), Mora — Curanderas — Women Who Heal — New Mexico Historic Women Marker Initiative
In New Mexico, women blessed with special knowledge of herbs, household remedies, human health and strong faith are trusted to cure real or imaged maladies. Known as Curanderas, these women have been an integral part of the Hispanic fabric in . . . — Map (db m73273) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), La Luz — La Luz
In 1719, Spanish Franciscan missionaries built a chapel here dedicated to Nuestra Señora de la Luz, Our Lady of the Light. The naming of the village is also attributed to the will o’wisp light in the canyon, a perpetually burning lamp in an . . . — Map (db m46073) HM
New Mexico (Rio Arriba County), Chimayo — Chimayo
Indians occupied the Chimayo valley centuries before the arrival of the Spaniards. The village of Chimayo, founded in the early 18th century, shortly after the reconquest of New Mexico, has been a center of the Spanish weaving tradition for over 250 . . . — Map (db m32819) HM
New Mexico (Rio Arriba County), Chimayo — Santuario de Chimayó
In 1816, Bernardo Abeyta and the other residents of El Potrero, then a separate community, finished this massive adobe chapel honoring Nuestro Señor de Esquípulas. It is noted for its 6-foot crucifix and its tradition of healing the sick. The . . . — Map (db m32817) HM
New Mexico (Rio Arriba County), Medanales — Agueda S. Martinez (1898–2000)“You Will Find Me Dancing On the Loom”
Agueda is the matriarch of Hispanic weaving in New Mexico. From a very young age, she was known for her complex designs and natural dyes. She was the subject of the Academy Award-nominated documentary film, “Agueda Martinez: Our People, Our . . . — Map (db m73393) HM
New Mexico (Rio Arriba County), Ohkay Owingeh — Shrine of Our Lady of LourdesConstructed 1889-1890
[ Panel 1: ] San Juan Parish's Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes was conceived as place of pilgrimage for those faithful wishing to honor Our Lady and to be given a glimpse of her place of apparition to St. Bernadette Soubirou in the . . . — Map (db m32794) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Pecos — Pecos Pueblo Mission
The largest of the mission churches at Pecos Pueblo, ca. 1625 La Iglesia mas grande de la mission de Pecos, ca. 1625 — Map (db m60272) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Agua Fria Village — Agua Fria
Caravans entering and leaving Santa Fe on the Camino Real wound their way through scattered agricultural settlements south of the capital. Although this section of the Santa Fe River Valley was initially utilized as pasture for livestock, in the . . . — Map (db m40451) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Agua Fria Village — San Isidro Catholic Church
This 19th century adobe church is dedicated to San Isidro, ploughman, patron saint of farmers and protector of crops. Christian tradition maintains that in order to allow San Isidro time for his daily prayers an angel plowed his fields. Agua Fria . . . — Map (db m40452) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Cerrillos — Welcome to the Cerrillos Hills State Park
… where you will experience the tri-cultural story of New Mexico, a history of the Indians, the Spanish, and the Anglos each altering this landscape in their efforts to obtain turquoise, lead, silver, and more. Indians mined nearby . . . — Map (db m70565) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Taos — Padre Antonio José Martínez1793 – 1867
Born in Abiquiu, New Mexico, on January 17, 1793 to Don Severino Martínez and María del Carmen Santistevan (Martinez Hacienda), the life of the Presbyter Don Antonio José Martínez extended through the Spanish (1793-1820), Mexican (1821-1846), and . . . — Map (db m66666) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Trampas — Las Trampas
The village of Las Trampas was established in 1751 by 12 families from Santa Fe, led by Juan de Argüello, who received a land grant from Governor Tomás Vélez Cachupín. The church of San José de Gracia is one of the finest surviving . . . — Map (db m32123) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — 65th Infantry Regiment, The BorinqueneersGabriel A. Rodriguez American Legion Post 1928
65th Infantry Regiment, The Borinqueneers The 65th Infantry was created in 1899 by the U.S. Congress as an active unit composed primarily of Puerto Ricans. It went on to serve meritoriously in World War I, World War II and the Korean War. . . . — Map (db m77448) HM WM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Samuel Torres1910-1980 — (South Marker)
Samuel Torres arrived in Rochester in 1950 and was instrumental in building Rochester's Hispanic community. He spoke out against discrimination in housing and employment practices and was dedicated. to encouraging Hispanics to vote and to seek . . . — Map (db m64558) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Samuel Torres1910-1980 — (North Marker)
Samuel Torres arrived in Rochester in 1950 and was instrumental in building Rochester's Hispanic community. He spoke out against discrimination in housing and employment practices and was dedicated. to encouraging Hispanics to vote and to seek . . . — Map (db m64559) HM
New York (New York County), New York City — None — Gramercy Gym Site
For more than half a century, the Gramercy Gym stood on this site. Legendary boxing trainer and teacher, Cus D'Amato, trained world champions Floyd Patterson and Jose Torres along with countless other boxers who were champions in their own right. . . . — Map (db m72082) HM
New York (New York County), New York City — Simon Bolivar StatueCentral Park South
One of a trio of bronze equestrian sculptures representing Latin American leaders, the Simon Bolivar statue commemorates a military general and advocate of Pan-Americanism. Bolivar (1783-1840) is credited with the liberation from Spanish domination . . . — Map (db m42569) HM
New York (Orange County), Woodbury — Tomas Estrada Palma
First President of Cuba. lived here 1879-1902 while he headed a junta which financed the Cuban revolution. was Cuban President 1902-1906 — Map (db m47835) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Bristol — Replica of the Spanish Garitas
This monument is a replica of the Spanish Garitas, or guardhouses, that lined the forts of San Juan, Puerto Rico, and is dedicated to the Puerto Rican people who have made their homes in Bristol. In March of 1509 a ship . . . — Map (db m80537) HM
Puerto Rico (San Juan Municipality), San Juan — Francisco de Miranda1750–1814
Precursor de la independencia hispanoamericana. General en Jefe del Ejército del Norte en la revolución Francesa. Luchó por la independencia de los Estados Unidos de Norteamérica. Estuvo preso en esta ciudad por sus ideales liberales. Escudo . . . — Map (db m74223) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Aransas Pass — 11686 — Cementerio San Antonio de Padua
According to local lore, George Lewis (1859–1895) donated one-half acre of land at this site to the Hispanic citizens of the area for use as a cemetery, provided that he be buried in the center of the land. Handmade stones indicate burials . . . — Map (db m53744) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Poteet — 4819 — Site of Jose Antonio Navarro Ranch Headquarters(2.3 Mi. SSE)
This land had once been allocated in the 1700s as a ranch for Mission San Jose in San Antonio (20 mi. N), but in the 1820s was left unsettled. In 1828 prominent San Antonio resident Jose Antonio Navarro (1795-1871) beseeched the Governor of the . . . — Map (db m56598) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9185 — Felipe Entrique Neri, Baron De Bastrop1770 - 1829
Erected in recognition of the distinguished service to Texas of Felipe Entrique Neri, Baron De Bastrop 1770 - 1829 Pioneer Red River empresario. Land commissioner of Austin's colony. Member of the Congress of Coahuila and Texas. In . . . — Map (db m82609) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Smithville — Smithville
In 1691 missionaries on the expedition of Don Domingo Teran De Los Rios sighted a lagoon which the Indians called Nenocadda. The lagoon, known today as Shipp's Lake, is on the southern edge of present Smithville. Frederick W. Grasmeyer operated a . . . — Map (db m41902) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 15828 — Salado
Salado was officially establish in 1859 when Col. E.S.C Robertson donated land for a townsite and for a college. Col. Hermon Aiken drew a plat for the town, which developed along its main street. However, there had been activity here long before . . . — Map (db m79922) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — San Antonio: The Flavor of Its Pastby Donald Everett, San Antonio Express, June 3, 1879 — Main Plaza
In years gone by, the southern portion of Main Plaza was devoted to the restaurant purposes of the Mexicans, and there one could obtain at any time a plate of chili-con-carne, frijoles, tamales, or whatever his taste might crave in the way of . . . — Map (db m30206) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 141st Infantry Regiment"Remember the Alamo" — Oldest Militia Unit in Texas
Texas Revolution - 1836 Spanish-American War - 1898 Cuban Occupation - 1898 Mexican Border Serivce - 1916 World War I - 1918 World War II 1940-1945 Campaigns Naples-Foggia • Anzio Rome-Arno • Southern France Ardennes • Alsace . . . — Map (db m32656) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 400 — Bexar County Under Nine Governments
The administrative government of Bexar County, besides being the oldest in Texas, is distinguished by having served under nine governments. The community served under Spanish rule from May, 1718, until January, 1811, when it was taken over by the . . . — Map (db m53972) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Comanche Lookout
At an elevation of 1340 feet, Comanche Hill is the fourth highest point in Bexar County. The hill lies on the southeastern edge of the Edwards Plateau and makes up the western edge of the Blackland Prairie. Throughout history this site has provided . . . — Map (db m60328) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Congressman Henry B. Gonzalez(1916 - 2000)
Native San Antonian Henry B. Gonzalez spent 45 years in elective public office (city, state, federal) doing what he liked most - serving the people of San Antonio. As his seniority in Congress grew, he developed a greater role in serving the entire . . . — Map (db m31890) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 16245 — Emma Tenayuca(December 21, 1916 - July 23, 1999)
During the 1930s, San Antonio native Emma Tenayuca was a prominent leader of a movement that fought deplorable working conditions, discrimination and unfair wages on behalf of the city's working poor. As a child, Tenayuca had often visited the Plaza . . . — Map (db m81175) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Q — Hessler House(The Guadalupe House)
Like 208 South Presa, which it resembles, this house was probably built shortly after 1869 on land purchased by Ernest Hessler from Juana Francisca Montes de Flores. The structure, which appears on the 1873 city map, was rented when Louis Foutrel . . . — Map (db m82913) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Justice's CourtSan Antonio Ledger, June 23, 1853 — Main Plaza
We strolled into a Justice’s Court the other day, and were reminded of the time when God smote the children of men with a confusion of tongues. A German was complained of by a Mexican, and a Frenchman was the witness. Each spoke his native tongue . . . — Map (db m30208) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Mission San José / La Misión de San José
"It is truthfully the best of the Americas, and not in the like of the others; nor in all the frontier does the King have an outpost better constructed and easier to defend..." Fr. Juan Agustín de Morfi, 1777-78 Mission San José and its . . . — Map (db m33997) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Rose Window / Ventana de Rosa
No one knows why this intricate carving is now called "the Rose Window." Possibly dedicated to Saint Rose, its baroque beauty is entangled in many San Antonio legends that whisper of its mystery. The artistry lavished on the church wall . . . — Map (db m34069) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — San Antonio Missions / Las misiones de San Antonio
The missions of San Antonio were far more than just churches, they were communities. Each was a fortified village, with its own church, farm, and ranch. Here, Franciscan friars gathered native peoples, converted them to Catholicism, taught them to . . . — Map (db m33990) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — San Fernando Cathedral 200th Anniversary
To commemorate the two hundredth anniversary of the laying of the corner stone of San Fernando Cathedral First place of worship for Texans. Built through the generosity and zeal of the Canary Islanders, founders of San Antonio . . . — Map (db m30333) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — O — Tejada House(The Caxias House)
This house appears on the 1873 city map and was probably built by José and Refugia Durán Tejada, who bought the land in 1855 from Concepción Ruiz. Ernest Hessler, who already owned the two houses to the west on Presa Street, bought the property in . . . — Map (db m82911) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — The Church / La iglesia
"The church...is a large, beautiful gallery of three vaults with a very pretty cupola...for its size and good taste, it could be the parish church of a great town." Fr. Juan Agustín de Morfi, 1777-78 The church was central to the . . . — Map (db m34077) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — The Convento / El convento
"From this roof one can hunt without risk, in comfort and with good success. I saw so many ducks, geese, and cranes in a nearby field that, as I said, they covered the ground, and so close to the house that it would be impossible to miss the . . . — Map (db m34065) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Twin Cypress Mexican Sniper Tree
An old legend describes this twin cypress as a lookout of a Mexican sniper who picked off the Texans as they came to the river for water. — Map (db m30553) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — Burgess' Water Hole
Called San Lorenzo by Juan Domínguez de Mendoza, 1684. Later Charco de Alzate in honor of an Apache chieftain. After Civil War given name of Burgess' water hole honoring John W. Burgess, pioneer freighter, who here outwitted the Apaches. The . . . — Map (db m26390) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Big Bend National Park — Luna's Jacal
Here at the edge of Alamo Creek, Gilberto Luna raised a large family in this small house called a jacal (hah-KAHL). Built from rock, earth, and plant fiber, the dwelling was well adapted to desert conditions: notice a dramatic temperature difference . . . — Map (db m53935) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Big Bend National Park — Terlingua Abaja
This deserted farming village supplied produce for miners and ranchers of the area from 1900 until the 1930's. You are welcome to walk across Terlingua Creek into the heart of the rock and adobe ruins. It is hard to believe that the banks of . . . — Map (db m53958) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Marathon — 1258 — Double Mills
A natural watering place in prehistoric time, as evidenced by artifacts found here. Used later by Indians and Spaniards on roads from northern Mexico. As Maravillas Creek developed from a draw into water channel, old water hole vanished. About . . . — Map (db m53933) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Alto — 6971 — Mound Prairie
Bulging out of the earth a few yards from this point, three prehistoric Indian mounds interrupt the prevailing flat terrain. Long overgrown with grass, the mounds and adjacent village (covering about 100 acres) constitute one of the major aboriginal . . . — Map (db m21202) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 347 — Beason's (Beeson's) Crossing
Benjamin Beason, one of Stephen F. Austin's original 300 colonists, settled by a widely used Colorado River crossing near here in 1822. He and his wife Elizabeth proceeded to build a large home (also used as an inn) and established a gristmill, . . . — Map (db m29691) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 973 — Colorado County
A part of Stephen F. Austin's First Colony Created March 17, 1836 Organized in 1837 The river traversing the region was called “Colorado” (red) by Spanish explorers who mistook it for the reddish Brazos. From the river, the . . . — Map (db m71994) HM
Texas (Crane County), Crane — 755 — Castle Mountain(2 mi. East)
About 3,000 ft. elevation. Since 17th century, a landmark in travel from Texas points to Mexico and California. According to tradition, named by Spaniards for resemblance to ancient castles. Has associations with stories of lost trains of gold and . . . — Map (db m73300) HM
Texas (Crane County), Crane — 2871 — Juan Cordona Lake(11 Miles Southwest)
A natural salt deposit, known and used for the past 300 years. On land grant from Mexico to Juan Cordova; name, misread on maps, is now unique to lake. Apaches were encountered here by explorers in 1683. From days of early settlers, Mexicans . . . — Map (db m85473) HM

318 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers were listed. Next 68
Paid Advertisement
Categories20th CenturyAbolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansAgricultureAir & SpaceAnimalsAntebellum South, USAnthropologyArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicAsian AmericansBridges & ViaductsCemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public WorkChurches, Etc.Civil RightsColonial EraCommunicationsDisastersEducationEntertainmentEnvironmentExplorationForts, CastlesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernmentHeroesHispanic AmericansHorticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceLabor UnionsLandmarksMan-Made FeaturesMilitaryNative AmericansNatural FeaturesNatural ResourcesNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesPaleontologyPatriots & PatriotismPeacePolitical SubdivisionsPoliticsRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesScience & MedicineSettlements & SettlersSportsWar of 1812War, 1st Iraq & Desert StormWar, 2nd IraqWar, AfghanistanWar, ColdWar, French and IndianWar, KoreanWar, Mexican-AmericanWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, Texas IndependenceWar, US CivilWar, US RevolutionaryWar, VietnamWar, World IWar, World IIWars, Non-USWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels
States or ProvincesAlabamaAlaskaAlbertaArizonaArkansasBritish ColumbiaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareDistrict of ColumbiaFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineManitobaMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew BrunswickNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNewfoundland and LabradorNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaNova ScotiaOhioOklahomaOntarioOregonPennsylvaniaPrince Edward IslandPuerto RicoQuebecRhode IslandSaskatchewanSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyomingYukon Territory
CountriesArgentinaAustraliaAustriaBahamasBelgiumBelizeBrazilCanadaChinaCosta RicaCzech RepublicDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEstoniaFinlandFranceGermanyGreeceGrenadaGuatemalaGuyanaHondurasHungaryIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaKiribatiLiechtensteinLuxembourgMalaysiaMexicoNetherlands AntillesNew ZealandNicaraguaPalestinian TerritoriesPhilippinesRussiaSaint LuciaScotland, UKSingaporeSouth AfricaSouth KoreaSwedenSwitzerlandThailandTurkeyTurks and Caicos IslandsU.S Virgin IslandsUkraineUnited KingdomU.S.A.