Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Education Historical Markers

4810 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers are listed. Next 4560
Daniel Pratt Cemetery / George Cooke Marker Side B image, Click for more information
By Tim Carr, August 1, 2009
Daniel Pratt Cemetery / George Cooke Marker Side B
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Daniel Pratt Cemetery / George Cooke
(Front): Daniel Pratt CemeteryFinal resting place of early Alabama industrialist Daniel Pratt, 1799-1873, and wife Esther Ticknor Pratt, 1803-1875. He was from New Hampshire and she, Connecticut. Married 1827 at Fortville, Jones County, . . . — Map (db m27957) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Sidney LanierMusician - Poet - Patriot - Seer
Beloved teacher of Prattville Academy 1867 • on this site • 1868 whose memory will be forever cherished by people of Prattville, Ala. whom he loved and served — Map (db m70820) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Sidney Lanier/Prattville Male and Female Academy Site
Side 1 Sidney Lanier 1842-1881 The poet and musician, born in Macon, Georgia, was Academy principal in 1867-68. He married Mary H. Day of Macon in December 1867. In Prattville, they lived at the Mims Hotel and later in Dr. S.P. . . . — Map (db m70802) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Stockton — Historic Stockton / Old Schoolyard Park
Front: Historic Stockton Modern Stockton is situated on a hill just above the original settlement, which was abandoned around 1840 because of Yellow Fever outbreaks. No verified source for the town name exists. Most likely it was . . . — Map (db m66390) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Blue Springs — Blue Springs School 1920-1969
The Blue Springs School was first established in 1920. The land was donated by Henry H Shepard. The Plans were drawn by the State School architect. The lumber was donated by citizens of the community and prepared at A.S. Knight’s sawmill. Other . . . — Map (db m60680) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Clio — Barbour County High School
Established under an Act of the Alabama Legislature in 1907, the school was built entirely by local initiative. It was completed in 1910 and occupied initially in September of that year. Consistently characterized by faculties of dedication and . . . — Map (db m71798) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — Fendall Hall / Young and DentThe Young - Dent Home
Built between 1856 and 1860 by Edward Brown Young and his wife, Ann Fendall Beall, this was one of the first of the great Italianate style homes constructed in Eufaula. It later became the home of the builders’ daughter, Anna Beall Young, and her . . . — Map (db m33759) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — Old Negro Cemetery / Fairview Cemetery
Front Interred on this gently sloping hillside are the remains of many of Eufaula’s early black citizens. Their names are known only to God because the wooden grave markers which located the burials have long since vanished. This burying . . . — Map (db m27987) HM
Alabama (Bibb County), Six Mile — Site of Six Mile Male And Female Academy
Years before 1859, two acres of land were donated for a school by Mr. and Mrs. Good. A two-story wooden structure was built. Among its first teachers were John Alexander, W. J. Peters, R. M. Humphries, and R. H. Pratt. Under Pratt’s leadership the . . . — Map (db m37054) HM
Alabama (Bibb County), Six Mile — Six Mile Male & Female Academy Site← 300 Yards
Incorporated in 1859 though organized earlier and operated continuously through 1897. First trustees were William P. Thomas, Leroy T. McGuire, Ezekiel C. Smith, Simpson W. Hederick and Pulaski Wallace. This noted center of learning in Bibb County . . . — Map (db m37053) HM
Alabama (Blount County), Oneonta — Bailey School1893 - 1951
William M. Bailey (born 1859 in Cherokee Co.; died 1909 in Blount Co.) settled 40 acres on what became Co. Rd 36 to the west and New Home Church Rd to the east in 1893. He brought three small sons from Cherokee Co. after the death of his first wife . . . — Map (db m42599) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Midway — Old Merritt School Midway Community Center
Margaret Elizabeth Merritt of Midway sold two acres for $5 to the state of Alabama in 1921 as a site for an elementary school for African-American children. Built in 1922 with matching Rosenwald funds, the Midway Colored Public School featured oak . . . — Map (db m60910) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Union Springs — Sardis Baptist Church, Cemetery, and School
(side 1) Settlers from the Edgefield District, South Carolina, organized the Sardis Baptist Church on June 10, 1837. The first building, a log cabin, was constructed in 1841 after John M. and his wife Amy Youngblood Dozier deeded four and . . . — Map (db m67552) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — Confederate Park/Greenville City Hall-Site of Public School
Side 1 Confederate Park Confederate Park was created in 1897 as a joint effort of the Father Ryan Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the City of Greenville, with First United Methodist Church providing the Park . . . — Map (db m70749) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Jacksonville — "The Magnolias"Home of Clarence William Daugette — B. Sc., M. Sc., LL. D. 1873-1942
Dean of American College Presidents President of Jacksonville State Normal-State Teachers College 1899-1942 During an Educational Renascence in the South he was in the forefront of the Alabama Educational System President 1st National Bank . . . — Map (db m29922) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Jacksonville — Jacksonville State University
This Educational Center of Northeast Alabama Traces its Origin to Jacksonville Male Academy 1836 Jacksonville Female Academy 1837 Calhoun College 1871 Calhoun Grange College 1878 State Normal School 1883 State Teachers College 1929 . . . — Map (db m36426) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Jacksonville — Jacksonville, Alabama“Gem of the Hills”
Life here has long centered on education beginning in 1834 when a one-acre plot of land was reserved for a schoolhouse. Through the years, various institutions of higher learning developed that culminated into present-day Jacksonville State . . . — Map (db m36429) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Jacksonville — Presidents of Jacksonville State
James G. Ryals, Jr. 1883-1885 J. Harris Chappell 1885-1886 Carleton B. Gibson 1886-1892 J. B. Jarrett 1892-1893 Jacob Forney, IV 1893-1899 Clarence William Daugette 1899-1942 Houston Cole 1942-1971 Ernest Stone 1971-1981 Theron E. . . . — Map (db m36427) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Valley — Fairfax Kindergarten
Built in 1916, the kindergarten was one of five original public buildings in the Fairfax Mill Village. Each mill village had an efficient, attractive, and well kept kindergarten for children ages four to six. LaFayette Lanier, Sr. was the . . . — Map (db m71634) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Valley — Lanier High School
Side 1 The school was located at three different sites on Cherry Drive. Its beginning was in The Blue Hall Building adjacent to Goodsell Methodist Church. Later it was moved to the Dallas/Jackson Home and became the Jackson Hill School. . . . — Map (db m71638) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Clanton — Chilton County Training School 1924-1969
The Chilton County Training School (CCTS) was the only facility in the county that provided a secondary education for black boys and girls until the mid-1960s. In 1924 black landowners donated five acres for the school to the Board of Education who . . . — Map (db m54656) HM
Alabama (Clay County), Lineville — John Richmond McCain
Teacher   Lawyer   Statesman He spent his life largely in promoting the welfare of others 1865   1939 Map (db m95079) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), Clintonville — Clintonville AcademyJanuary 11, 1860
Chartered as Clintonville Male and Female Academy. Building erected 1860: occupied January, 1861. The first school in Coffee County to teach beyond the sixth grade. Clintonville, for many years, was recognized as the cultural and educational center . . . — Map (db m54787) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), Elba — Site of Curtis SchoolEarly 1900’s to 1967
Curtis School was organized in the early 1900’s and was originally located ½ mile south, where New Ebenezer Baptist Church now stands. A new school was built on this site in 1929 when Curtis, Mt. Zion, and Rhodes Schools were consolidated. . . . — Map (db m54741) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), Enterprise — Enterprise AcademyFounded 1904
Beloved leader and principal of this institution, later known as Carroll Street School, was William M. Donald (1870-1941) His philosophy of education: "Apply yourself. Excellence is attained through self discipline and hard work. Learn the . . . — Map (db m71880) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), New Brockton — Arwood School Site
Established here about 1871 and served as educational, cultural, religious and social center of this community until consolidation in 1934. School land was donated by George and Georgie Arwood. Early teachers included W.E. Andrews, Mrs. M.E. Fleming . . . — Map (db m95354) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Leighton — LaGrange College
This is the site of LaGrange College Chartered in 1830 by act of the Legislature of Alabama An Institution of High Order for men attended chiefly by students from the southern states. The college was burned April 28, 1863 by Federal Cavalry . . . — Map (db m83333) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Muscle Shoals — Howell & Graves School
Marker Front: Muscle Shoals City was incorporated on April 24, 1923. Among the leading developers were New York realtors A.L. Howell and C.T. Graves. Their interest in Muscle Shoals was inspired by the vision of Henry Ford to use power from . . . — Map (db m28580) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Sheffield — Sheffield Colored School/Sterling High School
(side 1) Sheffield Colored School Public education for Sheffield's black children began in 1889 in a framed building at E. 20th St. and S. Atlanta Ave. with Henry Hopkins as teacher. Professor Benjamin J. Sterling (1847-1941), a . . . — Map (db m82423) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Sheffield — Village One
Front In 1918, during World War I, the U.S. Government built this unique village of 85 bungalows, school, and officers barracks to house personnel at nearby Nitrate Plant No. 1. Prefabricated and standard size materials were used in . . . — Map (db m88110) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Ivy GreenBirthplace of Helen Keller
The Family Home of Captain Arthur M. & Kate Adams Keller was build 1820, being the second house erected in Tuscumbia. Here on June 27, 1880 was born America's First Lady of Courage Helen Adams Keller — Map (db m29089) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — Trenholm High School
(side 1) Formal education for Tuscumbia’s African American children began in 1870 at the Freedman School taught by Judge Wingo and his daughter in a church at the foot of the hill. In July 1877, the Osborne Colored Academy was established . . . — Map (db m80944) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — William Winston Home
Construction on the home which became the center building of Deshler High School was begun in 1824 by Clark T. Barton. William Winston purchased and completed the Georgian-style dwelling in 1833. The largest remaining antebellum house in Tuscumbia, . . . — Map (db m28565) HM
Alabama (Conecuh County), Burnt Corn — First School in Conecuh County
The first known school in Conecuh County, "Students Retreat," was located near this site. The land was owned by John Green, who also was the school’s first teacher. Green served the county in the state House of Representatives and the 1861 Secession . . . — Map (db m81295) HM
Alabama (Conecuh County), Evergreen — Alabama Baptist Children’s Home Site
The Louise Short Baptist Widows’ and Orphans’ Home, consisting of a 10-room brick residence and related buildings on 80 acres of land fronted on Main Street, Evergreen, for more than ¼ mile. It was established by the Alabama Baptist State . . . — Map (db m81293) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusia — Andalusia City Hall / Three Notch School
Andalusia City Hall Today, the Andalusia City Hall houses city government offices and is a host site for meetings and special events. Modern information, technology, and communications of city government mesh with the original . . . — Map (db m94169) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Sanford — Town of Sanford
Side 1 Sanford first came into being as a community post office which was established on May 19, 1879. Around the turn of the century, Sanford had a period of progress that lasted for several years. The L&N Railroad had come through in . . . — Map (db m94166) HM
Alabama (Crenshaw County), Highland Home — Site of Highland Home College
A pioneer institution organized in 1889 by Justus M. Barnes, Samuel Jordan and Milton L. Kirkpatrick. This was an extension of Strata Academy, founded in 1856 by Barnes six miles north in Strata. In 1881 Strata Academy was moved to Highland Home and . . . — Map (db m72058) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Newton — Baptist Collegiate InstituteNewton, Alabama
Organized in 1898 under the Christian leadership of A. W. Tate and Newton Baptist Church. The property was later given to the Baptists of southeast Alabama, adopted by nine Baptist Associations. In 1907 Baptist State Convention agreed to accept . . . — Map (db m79000) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Beloit — The Beloit Industrial Institute
Marker Front: The Beloit Industrial Institute was founded in 1888 by Industrial Missionary Association, an area subdivision of the American Missionary Associations. The President of the Association, Dr. Charles B. Curtis, was a Presbyterian . . . — Map (db m83504) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — R.B. Hudson High SchoolDallas County
This school was the city of Selma's first public high school for African-Americans. Completed in 1949, the school was named in honor of Richard Byron Hudson, a black educator who had served for 41 years as principal of Clark Elementary School, . . . — Map (db m82741) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Sgt Robert Weakley PattonBorn 1844 - Died 1865 — Battle of Selma
Patton, a member of Shockley's Escort Company of the University of Alabama, was killed in a clash with the 4th Iowa Cavalry at the corner of Washington Street and Alabama Avenue. In November 1865 his father, Robert Miller Patton, was elected the . . . — Map (db m83587) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Tabernacle Baptist ChurchDallas County
Side 1 In January 1885, Dr. Edward M. Brawley, President, Alabama Baptist Normal and Theological School (now Selma University) formed Tabernacle Baptist Church to be an integral part of the students' Christian formation and education. . . . — Map (db m82034) HM
Alabama (DeKalb County), Fort Payne — Sequoyah(1760-1843)
Born in Tennessee, Sequoyah moved to Wills Town (DeKalb County, Alabama) area of the Cherokee Nation in 1818. Here, in 1821, he invented an 86 symbol alphabet providing the Cherokees with the only written Indian language in the United States. . . . — Map (db m28033) HM
Alabama (DeKalb County), Fort Payne — Wills Town Mission
The mission was established in 1823 by the American Board of Missions to further education and Christianity among the Cherokee Indians. Mission operated until the Indian removal in 1838. Grave site of Reverend Ard Hoyt, first superintendent, . . . — Map (db m28035) HM
Alabama (DeKalb County), Geraldine — Town of Geraldine: Home of the Bulldogs
(front) No one knows for sure how Geraldine got its name. Some say it was named for a lovely Indian maiden. The first official record was on September 5, 1882 when Mr. William A. Johnson applied for the location of a new post office. The . . . — Map (db m79905) HM
Alabama (DeKalb County), Valley Head — Site of Cherokee Council Tree
Here stood The giant Black Spanish Oak Under which Traditionally Sequoyah Taught his newly invented Alphabet Tree felled by a storm 1934 — Map (db m28036) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Holtville — Holtville School
In the late 1930's and early 1940's Holtville School won national acclaim as one the foremost examples of the progressive education movement in the U.S. It was one of 33 southern schools in 1938 chosen to receive financial support in developing new . . . — Map (db m83689) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Wetumpka — Elmore County Training School
Constructed in 1924 on five acres, this building was one of nine schools constructed in Elmore County with funding assistance from the Julius Rosenwald Fund. Between 1912-32, Julius Rosenwald, a Jewish philanthropist and CEO of Sears, Roebuck and . . . — Map (db m70548) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Wetumpka — Welton Blanton Doby High SchoolElmore County
W. B. Doby served as the first President of the Elmore County Teachers Association, Principal of Elmore County Training School, and as an ordained minister in the A.M.E. Church. Local leaders dedicated this school for African-American students on . . . — Map (db m94614) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), East Brewton — Downing-Shofner SchoolEast Brewton, 1906-1943
Dr. J. M. Shofner (1863-1926) founder, dedicated his life to - "Give the boys and girls a chance." Mr. Elisha Downing - Humanitarian. First building erected named in honor of Mrs. Esther Downing. Trustees-1906: J. M. Shofner, D. . . . — Map (db m84374) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — Eleventh Street School
The Eleventh Street School, built in 1907, was one of the earliest elementary schools in Gadsden. It is the only local surviving school building of that era. This two-story red brick structure has solid masonry exterior walls and an entrance which . . . — Map (db m83734) HM
Alabama (Franklin County), Red Bay — Red Bay School
The first school building was built around 1900 by local citizens. The building was located just across from the Methodist Church. The building was a one-room structure & there were 2 teachers who taught at the school. All pupils walked to school & . . . — Map (db m83748) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Gallion — Oak Grove School
Tuskegee educator Booker T. Washington and Julius Rosenwald, Sears, Roebuck & Company president, initiated one of the most ambitiuous school building programs for African Americans in the United States. The Oak Grove School is one example of the . . . — Map (db m83753) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Greensboro — Southern University
Merged in 1918 as part of Birmingham Southern College. Founded here in 1856 by Methodist Church. Weathered War and Reconstruction to prosper in late 1800’s. Moved to Birmingham in 1918 on merger with Birmingham College, founded in 1896 . . . — Map (db m83756) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Abbeville — Henry County Training SchoolEstablished 1914
Founded by Laura L. Ward. Building designed and constructed by Jim McCauley on land given by Glass Maybin. Classes began Sept., 1917. Principals who served school were: J. H. Jackson, W. R. Rosser, Felix Blackwood, Sr., and William B. Ward, Sr. . . . — Map (db m71809) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Abbeville — The Southeast Alabama Agricultural School / First Free Secondary School
Side 1 The Southeast Alabama Agricultural School This school and experiment station was created by Alabama Legislative Act No. 579, February 28, 1889. This was the first school in Alabama to offer free secondary education. SAAS . . . — Map (db m71808) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Lawrenceville — Lawrenceville / Lawrenceville Academy
Lawrenceville This early cultural, educational and religious center was settled in 1823 and named for Joseph Lawrence, prominent pioneer, farmer, and extensive land owner. A Baptist and a Methodist Church were established here prior to . . . — Map (db m71825) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Newville — Newville High School / Newville Rosenwald School
Side 1 Newville High School The first known school in Newville was at Center Church in 1881. When Grange Hall was built in 1891, church services and school were held on the first floor. In 1913, Grange Hall was torn down and the . . . — Map (db m71812) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Cowarts — Cowarts Baptist Church/Cowarts School
(Front): Cowarts Baptist Church Cowarts Baptist Church was founded in 1885 when dissension arose in the Congregation of Smyrna. Originally located beside the cemetery, the church was destroyed by fire during the 1890s. It was rebuilt . . . — Map (db m64865) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Kinsey — Mallalieu Seminary
Side 1 Organized in 1882 at nearby Rocky Creek Methodist Church for educational purposes. This school, which occupied approximately seven acres surrounding this marker, was supported by the Methodist Episcopal Church North. This school . . . — Map (db m73374) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Birmingham - Southern College
. . . — Map (db m37711) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Carrie A. Tuggle1858 - 1924
In Tribute to Carrie A. Tuggle 1858 - 1924 Scholar, Teacher and Christian. A life of unselfish service to the troubled and the homeless black boys and girls. In 1903, she founded a school and orphanage, the Tuggle . . . — Map (db m27391) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Dr. Ruth J. Jackson1898 - 1982
Dedicated to Dr. Ruth J. Jackson 1898-1982 This woman of strength and vision graduated from the Poro School of Cosmetology, the first black registered school in the State of Alabama. At the vanguard of the Civil Rights Movement, she was . . . — Map (db m27090) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Howard College(Now Samford University)
Founded in 1841 at Marion in Perry County by Alabama Baptists, Howard College was named for British prison reformer John Howard. The liberal arts college moved to this site in 1887 and relocated to its present campus in Homewood, Alabama in . . . — Map (db m26693) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Pauline Bray Fletcher1878 - 1970
In Tribute to Pauline Bray Fletcher 1878 - 1970 The First Black Registered Nurse of Alabama Through self-sacrifice, perseverance founded in 1926 Camp Pauline Bray Fletcher. Renewing the faith and the good health of all black . . . — Map (db m27393) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Powell School
Birmingham's first public school was named for Colonel James R. Powell, the city's first elected Mayor. This energetic promoter also served as the first President of the Elyton Land Company (now Birmingham Realty), which founded the city in 1871. . . . — Map (db m83835) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Roebuck Spring
In 1850 George James Roebuck and his wife Ann Hawkins Roebuck built a log cabin at the mouth of Roebuck Spring. His Influence and leadership led to the area around it to be known as Roebuck. In 1900 Alabama Boys Industrial School was located . . . — Map (db m26688) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — School of Medicine
Front of Marker: Opened as Alabama Medical College in 1859 in Mobile by Josiah C. Nott and other physicians as part of the University of Alabama. Closed by the Civil War in 1861 it reopened in 1868. Reorganized in 1897, it became the . . . — Map (db m83838) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Birmingham Public Library / The Linn - Henley Research Library
Birmingham’s first library was organized in 1886 and in 1891 became a subscription library for the general public. In 1908 the Birmingham Public Library Association established a free public library, and the City created an independent Library Board . . . — Map (db m83856) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Samford University
Multiple purpose Christian university founded 1841 as Howard College by Alabama Baptists at Marion. Moved to East Lake, Birmingham, 1887. Established on this campus 1957. Acquired Cumberland School of Law, Lebanon, Tennessee 1961. . . . — Map (db m27296) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Shades Valley High SchoolOriginal Site (1949-2000)
Nationally acclaimed Jefferson County School which originally served students from Homewood, Mountain Brook, Vestavia, Oak Grove, Irondale, Cahaba Heights, Hoover, Rocky Ridge, etc. Opened Fall 1949, closed 1996, demolished 2000. Designed by . . . — Map (db m47786) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Homewood — Union Hill Cemetery, Union Hill Methodist Episcopal Church, Union Hill School
This cemetery is the final resting place of many of Shades Valley's pioneer residents. A few of the earliest headstones date from the mid-1850s. Descendants of these settlers helped mold the cities of Mountain Brook and Homewood. Located on property . . . — Map (db m26294) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Bluff Park Elementary School / Hoover Community Education
Summit/Hale Sps., a one-room school, opened on the mountain in 1898. It moved to this site and was named Bluff Park Elementary School with 50 students and funded with community support in 1923. From two-rooms, it expanded to 32 classrooms in 1988. . . . — Map (db m28486) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Patton Chapel Church 1866
Just after the War Between the States Robert Berry Patton gave seven acres of land, logs from his sawmill to build a church, school and cemetery. He served as the first pastor. Fire destroyed the church in 1908 and 1938. The school served the area . . . — Map (db m83915) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Rocky Ridge Elementary SchoolFirst School in Hoover Area
A subscription school organized in the 1850’s in Rocky Ridge Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Land deeded by church in 1881 to build a log school. In 1912, Professor E. D. Watkins taught all classes to the 30 students. In 1918, his 15 year old . . . — Map (db m73065) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Shades Crest Road Historical District
Indian, Wagon Trail, now Shades Crest Road, led to popular chalybeate springs. Summit, now Bluff Park, was a resort known for its view, cool air and healing mineral water. In 1899 school / church was built. In 1909 Bluff Park Hotel, built on land . . . — Map (db m27311) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Shades Crest Road Historical District
Indian, Wagon Trail, now Shades Crest Road, led to popular chalybeate springs. Summit, now Bluff Park, was a resort known for its view, cool air and healing mineral water. In 1899 school / church was built. In 1909 Bluff Park Hotel, built on land . . . — Map (db m28517) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Leeds — Mt. Hebron School
Front: In 1915, the men of the Mt. Hebron Community cleared the land donated by Bess Simmons for a school. Trees donated by Mitch Poole were placed on Rufus Brasher’s wagon and taken to Will Scott’s sawmill. The school opened in the fall . . . — Map (db m83918) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Mountain Brook — Mountain Brook
In 1821 the first settlers came to this area, later called Waddell. Large numbers of people first migrated here in 1863 with the construction of the Irondale Furnace. Destroyed in the Civil War, the furnace was rebuilt and operated from 1867 to . . . — Map (db m26769) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Burrell Normal SchoolBurrell High School — Burrell-Slater High School 1903~1969
This school named Burrell Academy, formerly in Selma, Alabama, was given to Florence by the American Missionary Association. In 1903, Burrell Normal School opened and served African ~American students in grades 1-12. In 1937, the Florence City Board . . . — Map (db m83940) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Caroline Lee HentzCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Educator and author Caroline Hentz was among the first female novelists in America. Her 13 volumes were some of the most popular in the U.S. during the mid-1800s, and her three dramas were produced in major cities. — Map (db m29100) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Courtview, Rogers Hall — 1855
George Washington Foster, planter, built this Greek Revival Mansion. An Act of the legislature was required to close Court Street, In fall of 1864 it was headquarters of Nathan B. Forrest, General, CSA. Foster's daughter, Sarah Independence McDonald . . . — Map (db m28868) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Dr. Ethelbert Brinkley NortonCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Dr. E. B. Norton was a member of the U.S. Education Mission sent to Japan after World War II to advise Gen. McArthur on the complete reorganization of the Japanese School System, which is still in place today. — Map (db m29266) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Florence State Teachers College
Oldest state~supported teacher college south of Ohio R. 1830 ~ opened as LaGrange College (Methodist) at nearby Leighton. First charted college in state. 1855 ~ moved here and re~named Florence Wesleyan University. Flourished until . . . — Map (db m83970) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Florence Synodical Female College(1855~1893)
Side A The Cypress Land Company reserved this block for educational purposes. In 1847 the Florence Female Academy, consisting of two buildings, was established. The Academy was soon in financial trouble. Despite a $20,000 contribution from . . . — Map (db m83973) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — George H. Carroll Lion Habitat
The lion habitat is named in honor of George H. Carroll (1926-1998), a long-standing friend and supporter of the University of North Alabama (UNA). Mr. Carroll was the loving husband of Virginia Sego Carroll and father of Steven, Judy, and George . . . — Map (db m35658) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Gilbert Elementary School
Gilbert School, named in honor of Henry C. Gilbert, school superintendent 1892-1904 and long time member of Board of Education was built in 1920, costing $79,000. The structure was planned by George D. Waller, architect. A relief sculpture . . . — Map (db m83988) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Locust Dell Academy1834~1843
On this site Nicholas Marcellus Hentz conducted a girls school. Native of Metz, France, Hentz was a painter, entomologist, author, and was once a professor at University of North Alabama. Experimenting with silkworms, he planted groves of mulberry . . . — Map (db m84029) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Maud McKnight LindsayMay 13, 1874 - May 30, 1941
Born in Tuscumbia, Lived in Sheffield Daughter of Robert Burns Lindsay, Governor of Alabama 1870. Teacher of Alabama's first kindergarten - 1898. Ranks as one of the greatest kindergarten teachers in the world. Author of 14 books for children. . . . — Map (db m84041) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Patton Elementary School(1891-1958)
First school in Florence Public school system built 1890 on land given by Governor Robert M. Patton. It was occupied in 1891. Designed originally to serve all white elementary school children of Florence. Usually served six grades divided into nine . . . — Map (db m84042) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Saint Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church(Organized 1879 from earlier 1840 Congregation)
In early 1840s about 14 African-American members from First Methodist formed own congregation “Church Springs” near South Court Street. In 1857, a nearby brick cow shed was converted for its use under Rev. Robin Lightfoot who became a . . . — Map (db m84050) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Sculpture Relief Books and Learning1921
This sculpture relief was created by James W. Stoves and placed above the entrance to Gilbert Elementary School in 1921. In 1980, following the demolition of Gilbert school, it was moved to Hibbett Middle School. Because of its theme which relates . . . — Map (db m84048) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Simpson House~Irvine Place~Coby Hall
Built by John Simpson in 1843, on the site of his earlier home, this residence was occupied at various times by both armies during the Civil War. Purchased in 1867 by George W. Foster, builder of Courtview, for his daughter, Virginia, and her . . . — Map (db m45808) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Wesleyan Bell
The Wesleyan Bell was manufactured by the C.S. Bell Company in Hillsboro, Ohio, it is made of alloy steel, has a diameter of 38 inches, and is 24 inches high (not including its yoke). The weight of the bell is 660 pounds. When 350- pounds mountings . . . — Map (db m28881) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Wesleyan Hall 1855
Chartered 1856 as Florence Wesleyan University, R.H. Rivers, President. Regarded as North Alabama's most eminent landmark, this Gothic Revival Structure was designed by Adolphus Heiman, Nashville, And built by Zebulon Pike Morrison, Florence, as new . . . — Map (db m28864) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Rogersville — Lauderdale County High School 1912
(side 1) Prior to 1912, a private school, Rogersville High School, was housed in a two-story wooden frame building located in this vicinity. On August 7, 1907, an act was passed by the Alabama Legislature to establish a state high school in . . . — Map (db m84297) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Moulton — Gallagher Hill/Science Hill
The elevation to the northeast was known as Gallagher Hill. It was owned by John Gallagher who was born 1784 in Donegal County, Ireland. Coming to America 12 Aug 1812, he was a Lawrence County official by 1822. Later known as Science Hill, the . . . — Map (db m69668) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Moulton — Judge Thomas M. Peters
A scientist of national fame, Peters (1810-1888) lived for many years in Moulton with his wife Naomi (Leetch), a relative of President James K. Polk, who possibly visited here. A man of many talents, Peters was a noted linguist, early civil rights . . . — Map (db m69670) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn 1865~Present / The "Loveliest Village"
Side 1 Auburn 1865~Present Only one house was built in the village in the decade after the Civil War, and though the state took over the bankrupt college in 1872, the institution received no state appropriation until 1883. . . . — Map (db m79947) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn United Methodist Church Founder's Chapel
In 1836 Judge John Harper with 34 other Methodists from Harris County, Georgia settled here. They built a log structure on this site, the first church and school in Auburn. In 1856 church leaders inspired the Methodist Conference to open East . . . — Map (db m74442) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn UniversityAlabama’s Land-Grant University
This title given by Legislature in 1960 followed start of second century of growth in diverse services to state, nation. This act confirmed name “Auburn” used popularly from its founding by Methodists as East Alabama Male College in . . . — Map (db m39814) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn University Chapel
Side A: The University Chapel is the oldest public building in the city of Auburn. Built as a Presbyterian Church, the first service was held in the original Greek Revival-style building on September 13, 1851. Edwin Reese, spiritual leader . . . — Map (db m39831) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Cary HallBuilt 1940 — A Memorial to Dr. Charles Allen Cary (1861-1935)
(Side 1) Dr. Charles Cary, a native of Iowa and graduate of Iowa State in 1887, came to Auburn in 1892 and taught the first class of veterinary medicine at Alabama Polytechnic Institute. He has been called the Father of Veterinary . . . — Map (db m74436) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — City Hall
Side 1 In 1846, Auburn's founder, Judge John J. Harper deeded the property on this corner to Simeon Perry, as town agent for two of the earliest public schools in Auburn. A member of the settlement party, Perry laid out the original . . . — Map (db m79948) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Desegregation at Auburn
The first African American student entered the library to register at Auburn University at this site. Acting on a court order, Auburn president Ralph Brown Draughon accepted the application of Harold Franklin as the first African American student in . . . — Map (db m90861) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Founders' Oak
This post oak started growth in 1850 and was 6 years old when East Alabama Male College was established. It was 33 years old when the Alabama Agricultural Station was established, 91 when the nation entered World War II, and over 100 when this site . . . — Map (db m74430) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — J. F. Drake High School / Alma Mater
(Side 1) J. F. Drake High School J.F. Drake High School, formerly Lee County Training School, educated Black children of the community from 1958 to 1970. It bears the name of Dr. Joseph Fanning Drake. Drake consisted of 12 . . . — Map (db m74457) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Max Adams Morris / Max Adams Morris Drill Field
(Side 1) Max Adams Morris Max Adams Morris b. December 7, 1918, of Blountsville, Alabama, entered Alabama Polytechnic Institute (API) in 1938, was a varsity football player and became a member of "A" club, Scabbard & Blade, and . . . — Map (db m85166) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Noble Hall
Marker Front: The Greek Revival rock and mortar house was built by Addison Frazer (1809-1873) between 1852 and 1854 and served as the center for a 2,000 acre cotton plantation. Frazer owned 100 slaves and was on the Board of Trustees of . . . — Map (db m25988) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Robert Wilton Burton1848-1917
(Side 1) Near this site once stood "Four-Story Cottage," the home of Robert Wilton Burton. A one-story house with wide porch and bay window, Burton built it in 1885 with proceeds from the sale of four stories to children's magazines. Born . . . — Map (db m74440) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Sigma Alpha Epsilon
The Alpha Mu chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon was founded on June 15, 1878 at the Agricultural & Mechanical College of Alabama (now Auburn University). John E.D. Shipp came to Auburn as a student determined to organize a chapter at a time when . . . — Map (db m66726) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Auburn Guards Reviewed by Jefferson Davis
At the Auburn train depot on February 16, 1861, Jefferson Davis reviewed the Auburn Guards, the first Confederate military company thus honored. Davis was en route to his inauguration as President of the Confederacy. The Auburn Guards were comprised . . . — Map (db m74455) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Cullars Rotation / The Alvis Field and Cotton Rust
Side 1 The Cullars Rotation The Cullars Rotation is the oldest, continuous soil fertility study in the South and the second oldest cotton study in the world. It was started in 1911 by the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station . . . — Map (db m74463) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Old Rotation
Established in 1896 by Professor J.F. Duggar, the Old Rotation at Auburn University is: (1) the oldest, continuous cotton experiment in the U.S.; and (2) the 3rd oldest continuous field crop experiment in the U.S.; and (3) the 1st experiment to . . . — Map (db m74429) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Wittel Dormitory
Wittel Dormitory has long been admired as one of Auburn’s most significant examples of classic nineteenth-century design. Built in the early 1900’s by Samuel S. Wittel to house professional women, it also served as a home for three generations of . . . — Map (db m66725) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Loachapoka — First Rosenwald School
Side 1 On this site once stood the first of over 5,300 Rosenwald schools for black children built between 1913 and 1932. The schools were started in a collaboration between Julius Rosenwald, CEO of Sears, Roebuck, and Company and Booker . . . — Map (db m73539) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — African-American Rosemere CemeteryLee County
Side 1 On February 9, 1876, the City of Opelika paid D.B. Preston $80 for two acres of land to establish an African-American section of Rosemere Cemetery. This rectangular area of the cemetery contains 176 blocks, with 16 being partial . . . — Map (db m75139) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Killgore Scholarships / Some Terms of Scholarships
Side 1 Killgore Scholarships Here James A. Killgore (1888-1966) and his wife, Ophelia Parker, operated a grocery store from 1916 to 1944. The Killgores worked hard, practiced frugality, and invested money wisely, desiring to help . . . — Map (db m75123) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Athens Collegea liberal arts college — 1822
. . . — Map (db m29111) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Athens, Alabama
(Side A): Athens was incorporated in 1818, one year prior to the admission of Alabama as the 22nd state. It is the seat of Limestone County, created by an act of the Alabama Territorial Legislature. Athens has a legacy of providing quality . . . — Map (db m85388) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Coleman FamilyColeman Hill
Wealthy and influential Virginia family settled here in 1820's. Daniel Coleman (1801-1857) built his stately home a block west about 1826. During the Civil War, home was occupied by Yankee troops who took Elizabeth Coleman's teeth for their gold . . . — Map (db m85389) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Faces of Market Street
From the 1850s to the 1970s, the Louisville & Nashville Depot was located between Market and Washington streets. The building has been used as a dress ship, a photographer's studio, and in 2004 was remodeled for the Limestone County Archives. . . . — Map (db m93878) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Fort Henderson / Trinity School - 1865-1970
Fort Henderson Built on this site in 1863 by federal forces occupying Athens. It was a five-sided earthen fort with some frame buildings and underground bomb-proofs. Abatis lined the fifteen-foot deep perimeter ditch, a small portion of which . . . — Map (db m41787) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Old Town Cemetery
This is the earliest known cemetery in the town of Athens, and the final resting place for many of its first citizens. The earliest burials date from the 1820’s and continue through the mid-1800’s, with an occasional burial past 1900. Through the . . . — Map (db m71525) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Trinity School Cistern
This cistern is the last remnant of Trinity School located here 1865-1907. The cistern was used to store rainwater collected from the roof. No physical evidence remains of the Ross Hotel, the Chapman Quarters, and other buildings on this block, . . . — Map (db m72219) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Decatur — Southeast Air Forces Training Center(Pryor Field)
The Southeast Air Forces Training Center operated by Southern Aviation Training School, also known as Pryor Field, was constructed in 1941. These two aircraft hangars and beacon tower are the remaining artifacts of one of only a few World War II . . . — Map (db m85425) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Elkmont — Elkmont Pride: Family-School-Church
Limestone County High School (grades 9-12) was established in 1912. Money for the building, nearly $10,000, was obtained from three sources: the sale of property of an old Elkmont Elementary School, state funds, and private donations. Honored and . . . — Map (db m93851) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Franklin — Franklin's Educational Legacy
(obverse) Franklin School, originally constructed on this lot, was in operation as early as the 1890s teaching grades 1-11. By the mid 1930s, it was downsized to grades 1-6. There were northern and southern classrooms adjoined by a common . . . — Map (db m68028) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Notasulga — Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church "The Tree"
It was under this tree that participants in the U.S. Public Health Study of Untreated Syphilis in Negro Males in Macon County, Alabama, met to wait for Nurse Rivers, the Shiloh School nurse, to come and either administer treatment, update health . . . — Map (db m95113) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Notasulga — Shiloh-Rosenwald School / Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church
Side 1 Shiloh-Rosenwald School The Shiloh-Rosenwald School, located in Notasulga, was a collaboration between educator Booker T. Washington and Julius Rosenwald, CEO of Sears. Rosenwald schools are landmarks in the history of . . . — Map (db m95109) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Shorter — George Stiggins1788-1845
Unmarked grave in Cubahatchie Baptist Church Cemetery. Half-blooded Creek Indian, planter, soldier, Indian agent, and historian, Stiggins lived on a nearby farm fronting the Federal Road from 1831 until his death. There he wrote "A . . . — Map (db m60534) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee — Booker T. Washington
. . . — Map (db m69096) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — The Tuskegee Airmen's Plaza
This plaza is dedicated to the memory of the Tuskegee Airmen, including General Daniel "Chappie" James, whose training at Tuskegee University and the Tuskegee Army Air Field enabled them to prove for all time the competence and bravery of Black . . . — Map (db m20076) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Gurley — Town of Gurley
Located on land owned by John Gurley, pioneer settler, and named for him. His son, Capt. Frank B. Gurley, became a Confederate hero as a member of the 4th Ala. Cavalry. The settlement that developed around the water tank on Memphis and Charleston . . . — Map (db m30574) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Alabama’s Constitution And Statehood
Before statehood, the Alabama Territory had only limited rights of self government. Between July 5 and August 2, 1819, forty-four delegates from across the Territory convened in Huntsville to draft a constitution for statehood. Lawyers, merchants, . . . — Map (db m26592) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Fifth Avenue SchoolSite of Alabama's First Public School Integration
Opened in 1944, the Fifth Avenue School became the focal point for major educational change on September 9, 1963, when Sonnie Hereford IV became the first African-American student to integrate public schools in Alabama. Following a lengthy court . . . — Map (db m55722) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Lincoln School and Village
In 1918 William Lincoln Barrell of Lowell MA. purchased Abingdon Mill and transformed it into a large textile center of all concrete construction named Lincoln Mill Village. Phillip Peeler served as its superintendent from 1934-1953. Built in 1929 . . . — Map (db m39758) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Merrimack Mfg. Co. & Village / Joseph J. Bradley School1900-1992 / 1919-1967
Merrimack Mfg. Co. & Village In 1899, construction started on Merrimack Mill and village. The mill began operation in 1900. A second mill building, added in 1903, made it one of the largest in the South. Under Joseph J. Bradley, Sr., . . . — Map (db m38805) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Oakwood CollegeFounded 1896
Oakwood College, which began as an industrial school, was founded by the Seventh-day Adventist Church in 1896 to educate African Americans in the South. The school was erected on 380 acres purchased during the previous year for $6,700. Additional . . . — Map (db m34953) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Oakwood CollegeFounded 1896
Oakwood College, which began as an industrial school, was founded by the Seventh-day Adventist Church in 1896 to educate African Americans in the South. The school was erected on 380 acres purchased during the previous year for $6,700. Additional . . . — Map (db m34955) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Original Site of Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University
(Front) Original site of Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University (now located at Normal, Alabama) Legislature approved 9 December 1873 "a normal school for the education of colored teachers" in Huntsville. Ex-slave William Hooper . . . — Map (db m85546) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Randolph Street Church Of Christ
Organized as a Christian Church, this is the original congregation of what is now the Church of Christ in Huntsville. A gospel meeting was held in the Courthouse in 1883, conducted by James A. Harding, evangelist and founder of Harding College and . . . — Map (db m27899) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Rev. Dr. Joseph E. Lowery Boyhood Home Site(Dean of Civil Rights Movement)
Side A Dr. Joseph Echols Lowery was born in Huntsville on Oct 6, 1921, to Dora and Leroy Lowery. He grew up in Lakeside (Methodist) church. He began his education in Huntsville, spent his middle school years in Chicago, and returned to . . . — Map (db m85550) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Site of Green Academy
Chartered in 1812. Leading educational Institution. Long prominent in training leaders of North Alabama. Occupied by Federal troops, 1862. Building burned, 1864. Site of city schools since 1882. Location used only for school purposes. Alabama . . . — Map (db m55724) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Site of Huntsville Female College1851-1895
Organized in 1851 under the direction of the Methodist Episcopal Church, so this institution became one of the finest of its kind in the South in the education of girls from the primary through the college level. Its aim was to "secure the . . . — Map (db m37842) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Thrasher Memorial Fountain
Tom Goodman Thrasher August 4, 1916 December 19, 1999 -Grew up in Birmingham, Alabama -Studied Engineering at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa -Married the former Dorothy Wright of Belmont, Mississippi -Served in the Army in North . . . — Map (db m85611) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — William Hooper Councill High School Site1892-1966
The first public school for African-Americans in the city of Huntsville was named for the founder of the Alabama A&M University. The site, selected by a committee headed by the Rev. W.E. Gaston, was donated by the Davis-Lowe family. Founded in 1867 . . . — Map (db m36065) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Normal — Alabama A&M University former names / Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical UniversityNormal, Alabama
Alabama A&M University former names 1873 - Colored Normal School at Huntsville 1885 - The Huntsville State Colored Normal and Industrial School 1896 - The State Agricultural and Mechanical College for Negroes 1919 - The State Agricultural and . . . — Map (db m39760) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Normal — Councill Training School(1919 - 1970)
Side A In 1919, the first building was erected nearby with funds provided locally and supplemented with a Julius Rosenwald Foundation grant. Named for William H. Councill, Alabama A&M University founder, the three-room structure was built . . . — Map (db m39761) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Normal — William Hooper CouncillFounder — Alabama A&M University
"...A tower of knowledge, of strength, of power ...Let us build..." Dr. William Hooper Councill served as President of Alabama A&M University and was the catalyst for its early development from its founding in 1875 until his death in 1909. . . . — Map (db m39763) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Ryland — Shiloh United Methodist ChurchOrganized 1808
In October, 1808, the Western Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church sent James Gwinn, a circuit rider, to the "great bend" of the Tennessee River to formalize existing Methodist Societies. He organized the Flint Circuit to serve frontier . . . — Map (db m39767) HM
Alabama (Marengo County), McKinley — Bethel Hill Missionary Baptist Church
Following the Civil War and emancipation, newly freed African Americans, who had worshiped in the Bethel Church in McKinley while enslaved, established their own Bethel Church in a wooden house at the rear of the current church site. In the . . . — Map (db m72969) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Albertville — Seventh District Agricultural School1912
The Alabama Legislature passed an act in February of 1893 calling for the construction of agricultural schools to be built in each of Alabama’s congressional districts. The city of Albertville was chosen as the site for the seventh congressional . . . — Map (db m78709) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Arab — First Arab High School
In the early 1900s, students from Arab enrolled at Albertville High School because Arab didn’t have a high school. One group, called the “Brindlee Mountain Boys”, would travel to Guntersville by buggy and then by train to Albertville to . . . — Map (db m85850) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Grant — Becker Hall
Constructed in 1937, the Florence H. Becker Recreation Hall was named in honor of Florence Hague Becker, President General of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution from 1935 to 1938. The vertically placed pine logs used in the . . . — Map (db m33312) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Grant — Kate Duncan Smith - Daughters of the American Revolution School
(Side A) In 1924, the Alabama Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) established Kate Duncan Smith School to provide a patriotic education dedicated to academic achievement and service to "God, Home, and Country" for . . . — Map (db m33308) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Grant — Pennsylvania Bell Tower
Built as a water tower in 1937 By her husband in honor of Mrs. Harper Donelson Sheppard Pennsylvania State Regent 1935-1938 And created a Bell Tower in 1973 Upon the installation of a Carillion By the Pennsylvania Daughters In honor . . . — Map (db m76232) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Barton Academy
Built 1835-1836. First public school in Alabama. Named for Rep. Willoughby Barton, author of Bill creating public schools of Mobile some 28 yrs. before State system. It was used as a hospital for Union soldiers in 1864. — Map (db m86387) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Cathedral-Basilica of the Immaculate Conception / Archdiocese of Mobile
Cathedral-Basilica of the Immaculate Conception Parish established in 1703 by John-Baptiste del la Croix, Bishop of Québec, while Mobile served as capital of Louisiana. Oldest religious congregation of any denomination in Alabama and the . . . — Map (db m86735) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — St. Louis Street Missionary Baptist Church
The church was organized in 1853 by ten African-Americans who were former members of Stone Street Baptist Church. It is the second oldest Missionary Baptist Church in Alabama. The first three pastors were Caucasian; however, following passage of the . . . — Map (db m86578) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Convent of Mercy
On this site in 1884 the Sisters of Mercy established the Convent of Mercy. In 1908 the front building, the convent, was constructed and in 1927 the adjacent school building was occupied by pupils attending Convent of Mercy Academy. The school . . . — Map (db m86584) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Union Baptist Church / Founders of Union Baptist Church
Front Union Baptist Church Organized in 1869 as the Old Landmark Baptist Church by Rev. Henry McCrea and the following survivors of the slave ship, Clotilda: Pollee Allen, Rose Allen, Katie Cooper, Anna Keeby, Ossa Keeby, . . . — Map (db m86299) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — W.H. Council Traditional School
Council Traditional School was founded and opened in 1910. It is named in honor of William Hooper Councill, a former slave who was the founder of Alabama A&M University in Huntsville, Alabama. This building was erected in 1910 and underwent . . . — Map (db m86575) HM
Alabama (Monroe County), Perdue Hill — Perdue Hill Industrial School
The Perdue Hill Industrial School was founded by Patrick J. Carmichael after he moved to this area in 1918. Carmichael acted as both the principal and teacher during the early years of the school, which was originally a one-room structure serving . . . — Map (db m47643) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Hope Hull — Tankersley Rosenwald SchoolErected in 1923
This building was one of fourteen schools constructed in Montgomery County with funding assistance from the Julius Rosenwald Fund. Between 1912-32, Julius Rosenwald, a Jewish philanthropist and CEO of Sears, Roebuck and Company teamed up with Booker . . . — Map (db m71427) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Air University / Maxwell Air Force Base
(Side A) Air University The Air Corps Tactical School moved to Maxwell in 1931. Brilliant young officers like Chennault, Eaker, Fairchild, Hansell, Kuter, LeMay, Quesada, and Vandenberg formulated the aerial strategies and tactics . . . — Map (db m64437) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — AU "Thinks War"
Post-Vietnam Era marked a turning point for AU. Lt Gen Furlong, AU commander, launched a three year campaign to overhaul the curriculum which became known as “Putting the ‘War’ back into War College.” Between 1975 and 1976 AU gained . . . — Map (db m64375) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — British and Commonwealth Pilots Trained in the U.S.A.
In 1941, before Pearl Harbour, President Franklin D. Roosevelt agreed with Prime Minister Winston S. Churchill, to provide flight training for British and Commonwealth pilots in the U.S.A. by the U.S. Army Air Corps. Over 4,000 pilots were . . . — Map (db m64476) HM WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Cessna T-41A "Mescalero"
The Cessna T-41 was derived from a standard Cessna Model 172 light aviation aircraft. Between 1965 and 1969 the USAF purchased 211 T-41A variants "off the shelf" for the preliminary flight screening of pilot candidates; another 52 T-41C variants . . . — Map (db m64482) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Changing Roles of AU
Charged with developing doctrines and concepts for the employment of air power, AU produced the first basic doctrine manuals for the Air Force. AU also gained notoriety with projects such as Corona Harvest, which studied and developed . . . — Map (db m64374) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Chennault Circle
To accommodate expansion of programs, a five million dollar construction project began in 1954 to give AU a modern, integrated academic center with a collegiate atmosphere and facilities in keeping with its educational mission. We’re . . . — Map (db m64372) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Establishment of Air University 1946
The Army Air Forces school was assigned its first commander, Major General Muir S. Fairchild, in February 1946, and renamed Air University in March. The dedication ceremony occurred 3 Sep 1946. The first classes at the Air War College and the . . . — Map (db m64370) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Expansion of Air University
During the early 1950’s, Air Force leaders decided to consolidate and relocate professional military and continuing education activities, as well as commissioning and specialized schools to Maxwell and Gunter Air Force Bases. ”(Air . . . — Map (db m64371) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Joint Programs
Air University began new Air War College and Air Command and Staff College programs in 1987 which met newly mandated “Joint” education requirements. These programs emphasized joint war fighting. ”The basic reason for the . . . — Map (db m64378) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Lister Hill CenterNamed in honor of Senator Lister Hill — 1894-1984
This facility is dedicated to the memory of Senator Lister Hill who faithfully served his state and the nation for forty-five years as a member of the House of Representatives and the United States Senate. An Infantry Officer during World War I, . . . — Map (db m79082) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Lt. William C. Maxwell / Air Force ROTC
Lt. William C. Maxwell (Side A) William Calvin Maxwell was born Nov. 9, 1892 in Natchez, Ala. An Army ROTC student at the University of Alabama, he left in 1917 to enlist in the Army. He received his commission in April 1918, after . . . — Map (db m64367) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Northrop T-38A "Talon"
In the mid-1950s, the USAF required a trainer with higher performance than the T-33 to better prepare student pilots for the latest tactical aircraft that were then coming into service. The aircraft chosen was the T-38A which offered high . . . — Map (db m64433) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Reorganization
During the late 1950’s three courses at Air Command and Staff College: the Weapons course, the Squadron Officer course, and the Academic Instructor course, became separate schools under the AU umbrella. ”…It is regrettable that what . . . — Map (db m64373) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Reorganization
HQ USAF realigned AU under Air Training Command (ATC) in 1978. For five years AU remained a part of ATC. On 1 July 1983, AU regained its major command status. ROTC was reassigned to ATC. The College of Aerospace Doctrine, Research and Education, . . . — Map (db m64376) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — The Air Power Legacy
In 1931 Maxwell Field began its mission to educate Army Air Corps officers in strategy, tactics, and techniques of air power. Many early Air Force leaders attended Air Corps Tactical School here including Generals Vandenberg, Twining, White, and . . . — Map (db m64369) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — The Next Fifty Years
The tradition of excellence established by Air University pioneers will continue throughout the next fifty years… AU’s ability to educate people and develop critical thinkers is a mission that continues today. Now, more than ever, the United . . . — Map (db m64427) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — The ThunderbirdsThe Epitome of Teamwork
All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful, yet, for those who are trained by it, afterwards, it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness. Hebrews 4:11 Maj. Norman L. Lowry III Capt. Willie T. Mays Capt. . . . — Map (db m64484) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Year of Training
Deja vu, once again, 1993, AU was aligned with ATC but this time to form Air Education and Training Command. Enlisted professional military education was consolidated, Officers Training School moved to Maxwell, and ROTC and CCAF were again part . . . — Map (db m86055) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Alabama State University / Tatum Street
Side 1 Alabama State University The Early Years Founded in 1867, the Lincoln School in Marion, Alabama became the first state-assisted normal school for African Americans in 1874. The school prospered in that location for 13 . . . — Map (db m71345) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Alabama State University / Tullibody
Side A Founded 1866 as the Abraham Lincoln Normal School in Marion, Alabama by nine former slaves. Operated from 1868 until 1874 by the American Missionary Association. The school began to receive state funding in 1874, making it the first . . . — Map (db m86061) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Beulah Baptist ChurchOrganized 1880
Beulah Baptist Church was organized in the home of Monday and Dora Duvall, on the corner of Hull and Winnie Streets. Rev. William (Billy) Jenkins served as the pastor when the first church building was erected on Norton Street. Beulah served as the . . . — Map (db m71377) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Birth of Montgomery Bus BoycottBoycott planned & publicized here at ASU's Councill Hall
Side 1 On Dec. 1, 1955, at Alabama State College (now Alabama State University) in a basement room in Councill Hall, the Montgomery Bus Boycott was planned and publicized after the arrest that day of Rosa Parks, who refused to give up . . . — Map (db m91279) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Capitol Heights Elementary School
While Capitol Heights was a new town, city leaders, including founder and first mayor J. S. Pinckard, donated land for an elementary school. The community partnered with the Montgomery County Board of Education to build the Capitol Heights . . . — Map (db m81810) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Centennial Hill
This neighborhood evolved around historic First Congregational Church established through the American Missionary Association (AMA) October 6, 1872, by Pastor George Whitfield Andrews. In 1867 the AMA and the Freedmen's Bureau, headed by General . . . — Map (db m86067) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Civil War - Barnes School / Figh-Pickett House
(side 1) Civil War-Barnes School In April 1865, the Union Army command made this house its headquarters. Mrs. Pickett hid her silver on an inside ledge of the cupola. Later, former Confederate Generals Hood, Bragg, and Walker . . . — Map (db m86072) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Elijah Cook / City of Montgomery v. Rosa Parks
Elijah Cook Educator, Businessman, Lawmaker Born a slave in Wetumpka in 1833, Elijah Cook became a leader in Montgomery’s African American community. Credited with helping to establish the city’s first school for blacks in the basement . . . — Map (db m69222) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Governor Jones House
Thomas Goode Jones, governor of Alabama from 1890-1894, occupied this house during his long political career which took him from the Montgomery City Council to a federal judgeship. During his two terms as governor, his home was the Executive Mansion . . . — Map (db m36585) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Huntingdon College
Coeducational liberal arts college of the United Methodist Church 1854: Founded as Tuskegee Female College 1872: Acquired by the Methodist Church, renamed Alabama Conference Female College 1909: Moved to this site as Woman's College . . . — Map (db m86122) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Johnnie R. and Arlam Carr, Sr. Home
This home was originally owned in 1901 by Emily V. Semple. It changed hands several times until purchased by Flora K. Daniels and Arlam and Johnnie R. Carr, Sr. The Carrs moved into this residence in 1943. They resided here during the 1955 . . . — Map (db m71265) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Loveless School/Henry Allen Loveless
(side 1) Loveless School Montgomery's first junior and senior high schools for African American students began in Loveless School. Built in 1923 and enlarged in 1930, this building first housed seven grades; the opening of Carver . . . — Map (db m71082) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Marshall J. Moore House
In 1900, Marshall Moore and his wife, Agnes V. McClain commissioned Joseph G. Nesbitt, Sr., an African-American contractor/builder, to construct this Victorian period cottage. The Moores, among the first graduates and early faculty members of . . . — Map (db m86130) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery County Circuit Court / Sit-Ins and Marches at the Montgomery County Courthouse
Montgomery County Circuit Court Site of Major Civil Rights Cases 1956-1960 In 1956, 89 persons were indicted for violating an anti-boycott law; Rosa Parks' conviction was appealed; the Montgomery Improvement Association car . . . — Map (db m94925) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Old Ship A.M.E. Zion Church
This congregation was organized by the Court Street Methodist Church in the early 1850s. The latter group offered their 1835 wood frame building to the black members if they would relocate it. In 1852 the church was moved to this site under the . . . — Map (db m72170) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Professor John Metcalfe Starke / Starke University School
Side A Professor John Metcalfe Starke "Fessor Starke" 1860-1941A native of Virginia, John Metcalfe Starke received his early education in Petersburg and graduated from the University of Virginia in 1882, earning diplomas in Latin and . . . — Map (db m86421) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Sidney Lanier High School
Established in 1910 on South McDonough Street, this school was named for the well-known southern poet, Sidney Lanier, who resided in Montgomery 1866-67. This late Gothic Revival building was constructed 1928-29 to consolidate the original . . . — Map (db m86424) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Swayne College / Booker T. Washington School
Side A Named for Union General and Freemen’s Bureau Agent Wager Swayne, Swayne College was dedicated 21 April 1869. The Bureau appropriated $10,000 for the building and the local black community purchased 3.5 acres for the site. Future . . . — Map (db m28171) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pike Road — Georgia Washington School
Miss Georgia Washington founded the Peoples Village School for black students on this site in 1893. Georgia Washington was born a slave November 23, 1851 in Virginia. As a student at Hampton Institute, Virginia, she met Dr. Booker T. Washington who . . . — Map (db m72010) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pike Road — Pike Road School
Montgomery County's first school to consolidate rural, one-room school houses into grades one through twelve opened November 11, 1918. The school was built by the Montgomery County Board of Education on 30 acres of land at a cost of $40,000 with . . . — Map (db m72017) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pintlala — Pintlala Grange Hall / Grange Hall School
(Side 1) Pintlala Grange Hall The National Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry was organized in 1867 to provide economic, social and cultural improvements for farmers and their families. Pintlala's Grange Hall was erected circa . . . — Map (db m71433) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pintlala — Pintlala School
Opened in 1923 to consolidate a number of one-, two-, and three-teacher institutions in southwestern Montgomery County including Hope Hull, LeGrand, Mt. Carmel, Grange Hall, Snowdoun, Bethlehem, Fleta, Sankey, and Tabernacle. W.F. Feagin served as . . . — Map (db m71432) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Schaudies - Banks Cottage
During the 1870s, Samuel Schaudies and Abbie Robinson Schaudies moved to this site from Huntsville and purchased this five-room cottage in 1881 for $800.00. The deed lists this site as part of Lot 84, “Old Town” Decatur. In 1875, their . . . — Map (db m27763) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — Judson College
Founded 1838 Milo P. Jewett, President Deeded in 1843 to The Alabama Baptist Convention One of the nation's first colleges to offer higher education for women, it has served, since its founding, as a liberal and fine arts college for . . . — Map (db m70071) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — Lincoln Normal School
Side 1: On July 17, 1867, nine ex-slaves (James Childs, Alexander H. Curtis, Nicholas Dale, John Freeman, David Harris, Thomas Lee, Nathan Levert, Ivey Pharish and Thomas Speed) formed and incorporated the “Lincoln School of . . . — Map (db m70096) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — Marion Military Institute
Founded in 1842 as Howard English & Classical School by the Alabama Baptist Convention, with Dr. S. S. Sherman as President, it later became Howard College. Lovelace Hall (Old South Barracks), built 1854, and the Chapel, built 1857, served the . . . — Map (db m70091) HM
Alabama (Perry County), Marion — The Marion Female Seminary
One of the earliest colleges for women in America. Founded in 1835, was the first of four colleges established in Marion,“The Athens of Alabama.” This building, erected in 1850, contained the art studio of Nicola Marschall, who . . . — Map (db m70068) HM
Alabama (Pickens County), Aliceville — R. J. Kirksey High School1958–1971
Summerville Industrial High School, the first high school for African Americans in the southern part of Pickens County, was moved to this site in 1958, becoming Robert Jackson Kirksey High School. The new name honored a long-term member of the . . . — Map (db m92647) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Goshen — Rodgers School
Built ca. 1860 on land owned by Daniel Carlisle, this school educated Pike County youths until consolidation closed its doors in 1935. In 1895 it was conveyed to trustees for the school by Robert Henry Lee Rodgers for a school. Between 1923 and . . . — Map (db m92684) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Orion — Orion Institute
Founded 1848 by legislative act and donations of citizens. Excellent instruction made it only school of kind for youth in area. Later used as public school until 1929 school consolidation. Orion settled about 1815, by 1830 saw arrival of . . . — Map (db m71791) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — “The Thinker”
Donated to Troy University by Huo Bao Zhu During the visit of Chancellor Jack Hawkins, Jr. to Xian, China in April 2002. The gift was made in celebration of the Sino-American 1-2-1 Joint Degree Program and as a lasting symbol of friendship between . . . — Map (db m38930) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Academy Street High School
Side 1 On May 9, 1921, S.B. Innis, C.L. Jenkins, James Henderson, Pres Thomas and C.B. Brooks, the “colored school committee,” entered into a school mortgage for the construction of a building for “colored school . . . — Map (db m76755) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Bibb Graves Hall
Built in 1929, Bibb Graves Hall opened in September, 1930. It was named for Alabama Governor Bibb Graves (1927-31, 1935-39) who was known as the “education governor.” Bibb Graves Hall served as the original administration building for . . . — Map (db m38940) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Cowart Hall
Named for Fletcher Thomas Cowart, a Troy University professor of natural science from 1890 to 1919. Cowart Hall was constructed in 1950. Originally a men’s dormitory, it was later used to house junior and senior women students. The structure was . . . — Map (db m38933) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Cowart HallRenovated 1993
Born in Henderson, Alabama in 1850, Fletcher Jackson Cowart began his working career as a public school teacher. He later served superintendencies for both the Pike County and the Troy City schools. He was editor of the Troy Messenger and a . . . — Map (db m38934) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Green Davis Tailgate Terrace
“Tailgating" on the Troy campus was initiated during the 1990’s through the example and leadership of Green Davis. In 1993 the area outside of Memorial Stadium was named in honor of Green Davis for his enduring efforts to boost Trojan . . . — Map (db m38929) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — McCall Hall
The original structure was named for Charles Roderick McCall, Professor of Languages at Troy Normal School from 1890 to 1898. It was constructed in 1960-1961 to house the various sciences. In 1999, the structure was renovated and enlarged to house . . . — Map (db m38938) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Pace Hall
Built in 1946 as a men’s dorm. Named for Matthew Downer Pace, who served Troy University from 1891 to 1941 as Professor of Mathematics, Dean and President. The building was made necessary by the heavy influx of male students enrolling immediately . . . — Map (db m38931) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Riddle-Pace Field
Originally constructed as the home field for the university’s football and baseball teams. Pace Field, home of the Troy Trojans and the Troy baseball team in the late 1930s and 1940s, stood at the location of the current Riddle - Pace Field. It is . . . — Map (db m38935) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Shackelford Hall
Built during 1929, Shackelford Hall opened to students in September 1930. It was named for the institution’s president Edward Madison Shackelford, who served from 1899 to 1936. Adjoining this building was the original dining facility for the campus. . . . — Map (db m38932) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Troy University
Troy State Normal School was established by the Alabama General Assembly in 1887. Land and the first building for the original downtown campus and land for the present site were provided by the City of Troy. The College was moved to the present site . . . — Map (db m38937) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Asbury School and Mission1 Mile North of Ft. Mitchell
In September 1821 Rev. William Capers was sent to Fort Mitchell, by the South Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to negotiate with the chiefs of the Creek Indian Nations for a mission which would teach their children reading, . . . — Map (db m26121) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Glennville — Glennville
(Front): One of the earliest white settlements in the Old Creek Indian Nation. James Elizabeth Glenn, who named the town, and his brother Thompson Glenn, arrived here in 1835 only to have to evacuate during the Indian uprisings of 1836, at . . . — Map (db m37451) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Albert Love PattersonJanuary 27, 1891 - June 18, 1954
(side 1) Born at New Site, Alabama, he grew up working on his parents’ farm. In 1916 he worked in the oil fields in Texas and joined the Texas National Guard. He married Agnes Benson of Alabama in 1917. In 1918 he was commissioned an . . . — Map (db m69114) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Pittsview — Villula
Originally known as Vilula, this community was formed about 1848 as a stage coach stop. For many years the only post office in the central part of the county was located here. William A. Lester served as the first postmaster. The Villula . . . — Map (db m78114) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Seale — Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church /Macedonia School
Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church Macedonia Baptist Church was organized in 1870 by Pastor Robert Fegins with the assistance of twelve members from Providence Baptist Church. The first person baptized in the church was Mr. Charles Smith . . . — Map (db m78113) HM
Alabama (Saint Clair County), Ashville — The Dean / Inzer HouseHome of Lt. Col. / Judge John Washington Inzer
Greek revival antebellum home built by Moses Dean in 1852, acquired by John W. Inzer in 1866. Home occupied by Inzer family from 1866 to 1987. In July 1987 home and its contents, including extensive law library, deeded by family heirs to St. Clair . . . — Map (db m28092) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Calera — James Daniel HardyMay 14, 1918 – February 19, 2003
Side 1 James Hardy and his twin brother, Julian, were born and reared in Newala, Alabama, 3 miles east of Montevallo. He attended the consolidated grammar school nearby which had 3 rooms for the 6 grades, then attended high school in . . . — Map (db m76244) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — Alabama Historical Association
Founded in 1947 at Alabama College. Erected at tenth annual meeting held there in 1957. — Map (db m79205) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — Montevallo High School
Known as the Alabama College Laboratory School, Montevallo High School was housed in Reynolds’ Hall on the University of Montevallo campus from 1922 until January 1930 when the central portion of this building was completed. The original structure . . . — Map (db m37428) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — University Of Montevallo National Historic District
Originally named Alabama Girls' Industrial School and later Alabama College, this institution was founded Oct. 12, 1896, by the Alabama Legislature. It was the state college for women until 1956, when it became coeducational. In 1969 the name was . . . — Map (db m37289) HM
Alabama (Talladega County), Talladega — Auburn University And Birmingham-Southern College Began In Talladega, 1854
By action of the Alabama Conference of The Methodist Episcopal Church, South in session at Talladega, December 13-18, 1854, Auburn University and Birmingham - Southern College were born. The delegation resolved to “have a college within the . . . — Map (db m28202) HM
Alabama (Talladega County), Talladega — Presbyterian Home For ChildrenSynod Of Alabama — Presbyterian Church In The United States
Originally conceived 1864 as a home for children of Confederate dead by Synod in session at Selma. Opened at Tuskegee 1868 - relocated in Talladega 1891. A haven for dependent youth of Alabama providing training, education, and worship in a . . . — Map (db m28206) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Camp Hill — Edward Bell High School/Alma Mater
(side 1) Edward Bell High School On this site Tallapoosa County Training School, later named Edward Bell High School, became the first high school for African Americans in Tallapoosa County, Alabama in 1931, with graduation of its . . . — Map (db m92505) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Camp Hill — Lyman Ward Military Academy
Lyman Ward Military Academy was founded in 1898 as the Southern Industrial Institute by Dr. Lyman Ward, a Universalist minister from New York. Dr. Ward established SII to educate the poor children of Alabama, many of whom had few opportunities due . . . — Map (db m25501) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Daviston — Daviston, Alabama/Daviston School
(side 1) Daviston, Alabama Daviston, incorporated February 16, 1887, is believed to be the first incorporated rural town in Tallapoosa County. The first mayor was J.D. Dunn. Daviston was a natural evolution of the opening of Indian . . . — Map (db m92502) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Alabama Central Female College
After the seat of government was moved to Montgomery in 1847, the Tuscaloosa Capitol and its furnishings were deeded to the University of Alabama to be used for educational purposes. In 1857, the University Board of Trustees leased the building . . . — Map (db m29064) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Alpha Delta PiOrganized May 15, 1851 — ETA Chapter March 21, 1907
Alpha Delta Pi, the first college secret sisterhood, was organized at Wesleyan Female College, Macon, Georgia, the first women's college to grant academic degrees. Originally identified as Adelpheans, the group had three thousand alumnae and sixty . . . — Map (db m28783) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Amelia Gayle Gorgas1826-1913
Daughter of John Gayle, Governor of Alabama. Wife of Josiah Gorgas, Brigadier General, C. S. A. Mother of William Crawford Gorgas, Surgeon General, U. S. A. Untiring nurse in Confederate Hospitals, 1861-1865. First Historian Alabama Division, . . . — Map (db m33653) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — B.B. Comer Hall, 1908
Named for Braxton Bragg Comer (1848-1927), Governor of Alabama (1907-1911). As a member of the University's Corp of Cadets in 1865, Comer witnessed the burning of the campus by Federal troops. Later, as Governor, he strongly supported education . . . — Map (db m29121) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Castle Hill - Daly Bottom Community
In 1883 the Castle Hill Real Estate and Manufacturing Company began the first eastern expansion of the original 1821 Tuscaloosa city limits. Hoping to stimulate development in the area, the company created a popular amusement park centered around . . . — Map (db m35467) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Christ Episcopal ChurchOrganized January 7, 1828
The second oldest Episcopal Church in Alabama. Construction begun 1829, completed 1830 at cost of $1700. Enlarged and remodeled in 1880 from original Greek Revival design to present Gothic lines. First pews sold to highest bidder; made free in 1849. . . . — Map (db m40419) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Delta Kappa Epsilon
marker Front: Psi Chapter of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity first Greek letter fraternity at The University of Alabama. Organized by Louis J. DuPre, chapter installed June 20, 1847. First members initiated at Indian Queen Hotel by Charles . . . — Map (db m30676) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Denny Chimes
Marker Front: This bell tower, an enduring symbol of Alabama's first university, was erected in honor of President George H. Denny, under whose leadership (1911 to 1936) The University of Alabama gained national prominence. Conceived by . . . — Map (db m29610) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Druid City Hospital School Of Nursing
Constructed in 1923 through gift of J. T. Horne, this building occupied by Druid City Hospital School of Nursing from 1923 to 1947. Used by University of Alabama from 1951 to 1954 to house first state supported collegiate school of nursing in . . . — Map (db m29608) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — First Presbyterian ChurchTuscaloosa
Organized 1820. Moved to this site 1830. Present structure erected 1921. Under the leadership of Dr. Charles A. Stillman, (Minister, 1869-1895) it sponsored the founding of Stillman College in 1876. Its bell was the subject of a poem by . . . — Map (db m35364) HM

4810 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers were listed. Next 4560
Paid Advertisement
Categories20th CenturyAbolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansAgricultureAir & SpaceAnimalsAntebellum South, USAnthropologyArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicAsian AmericansBridges & ViaductsCemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public WorkChurches, Etc.Civil RightsColonial EraCommunicationsDisastersEducationEntertainmentEnvironmentExplorationForts, CastlesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernmentHeroesHispanic AmericansHorticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceLabor UnionsLandmarksMan-Made FeaturesMilitaryNative AmericansNatural FeaturesNatural ResourcesNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesPaleontologyPatriots & PatriotismPeacePolitical SubdivisionsPoliticsRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesScience & MedicineSettlements & SettlersSportsWar of 1812War, 1st Iraq & Desert StormWar, 2nd IraqWar, AfghanistanWar, ColdWar, French and IndianWar, KoreanWar, Mexican-AmericanWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, Texas IndependenceWar, US CivilWar, US RevolutionaryWar, VietnamWar, World IWar, World IIWars, Non-USWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels
States or ProvincesAlabamaAlaskaAlbertaArizonaArkansasBritish ColumbiaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareDistrict of ColumbiaFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineManitobaMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew BrunswickNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNewfoundland and LabradorNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaNova ScotiaOhioOklahomaOntarioOregonPennsylvaniaPrince Edward IslandPuerto RicoQuebecRhode IslandSaskatchewanSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyomingYukon Territory
CountriesArgentinaAustraliaAustriaBahamasBelgiumBelizeBrazilCanadaChinaCosta RicaCzech RepublicDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEstoniaFinlandFranceGermanyGreeceGrenadaGuatemalaGuyanaHondurasHungaryIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaKiribatiLiechtensteinLuxembourgMalaysiaMexicoNetherlands AntillesNew ZealandNicaraguaPalestinian TerritoriesPhilippinesRussiaSaint LuciaScotland, UKSingaporeSouth AfricaSouth KoreaSwedenSwitzerlandThailandTurkeyTurks and Caicos IslandsU.S Virgin IslandsUkraineUnited KingdomUnited States of America