HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Asian Americans Markers
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Oak Bay — Chinese CemeteryLe Cimetičre Chinois
This place, chosen by the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association in 1903 for its harmonized elements of Nature expressing the principles of "feng shui", is a significant legacy of the first Canadians of Chinese origin. Traditionally it was a sanctuary of temporary repose before final interment in China, a pattern which reflected the early aspirations of these immigrants to return to their homeland. After the Sino-Japanese war broke out in 1937, it was no longer possible to ship remains . . . — Map (db m72874) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Chinese Cemetery
Before 1903 the remains of early Chinese immigrants were buried in the low-lying, southwestern corner of Ross Bay cemetery. This area was often flooded after a heavy rainstorm. In the early 1900s, high winds and waves eroded a few waterfront Chinese graves, exposing coffins and sweeping away their remains. In 1903 the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association (CCBA) purchased this site for a cemetery. Traditional Chinese burial practices had the remains exhumed after seven years, the . . . — Map (db m75449) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Chinese General Store
For many years the building on the near left side of this photograph (where you are standing) was a Chinese general store. It was taken down in the early 1960s to enlarge the intersection. You can see a streetcar on Johnson Street crossing Government Street at the next corner. When this was taken in about 1900, Government Street was Victoria’s main business thoroughfare. [Photo caption] Image # A-03016 courtesy of British Columbia Archives — Map (db m49154) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Dragon Alley
During this district’s boom of 1881 – 1884, sixteen thousand Chinese established themselves within this area of Victoria. Thus emerged six blocks of businesses, theatres, a hospital, schools, churches, temples, opium factories, gambling dens and brothels; creating for Victoria’s Chinese community, Canada’s first and largest Chinatown.

This lot between Fisgard and Herald, originally, was the site of wooden huts that were leased to the Chinese. Building A, the Hart’s Block on Herald . . . — Map (db m49155) HM

British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Japanese Internment
On April 22, 1942, 273 men, women and children of Japanese ancestry were exiled from their homes in the Greater Victoria area. None of the survivors of this event ever returned to Victoria to re-establish a home. On August 4, 1992, 67 survivors of this devastating event returned to Victoria to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the exile. This plaque has been placed here, a location central to where a number of us had our homes, to commemorate our return. — Map (db m49127) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Lee Mong Kow
[Chinese, not transcribed] [English] Lee Mong Kow (1863-1924) was born in Panyu County, Guangdong Province, China. As an interpreter in the Canadian Customs House and Immigration Office he helped facilitate communication between Chinese and Western people.

Mr. Lee devoted himself to welfare work and served as a board director of the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association of Victoria for 9 one-year terms.

He was one of the founders of Lok Kwun Free School (1899-1909) and served . . . — Map (db m49157) HM

British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Victoria’s ChinatownLe Quartier Chinois de Victoria — 域 多 利 唐 人 街
[English] This district, first settled in 1858, is the oldest and most intact Chinatown in Canada, representing an important chapter in the long history and heritage of Chinese Canadians. As the major immigrant port of entry on the west coast in the nineteenth century, Victoria boasted the largest concentration of Chinese Canadians in the country. They established a self-contained and identifiable neighbourhood which offered a complete range of commercial, residential and social institutions. . . . — Map (db m52980) HM
British Columbia (Cariboo Regional District), Barkerville — Chee Kung Tong Building
This rare example of a 19th century Chinese benevolent society hall conformed to a Chee Kung Tong tradition that placed services to members on the ground floor and formal functions above. With its hostel, kitchen, and meeting and ceremonial spaces, this hall offered members a refuge where they could find support, work, and shelter. The benevolent services, ceremonies and celebrations, and membership rules of the Chee Kung Tong fostered a sense of belonging in many Chinese and helped promote . . . — Map (db m42533) HM
British Columbia (Greater Vancouver Regional District), Vancouver — Chinese Freemasons BuildingCity of Vancouver Heritage Building — Architect: Samuel Buttrey Birds (1913)
The Chi Kung Tong, later the Chinese Freemasons, purchased this building in 1907. It included meeting rooms, a male dormitory and a Chinese school - uses common to Chinese Society Buildings. The Chi Kung Tong assisted early immigrants from China who took part in the Cariboo gold rush. The Freemasons were also intensively involved in the politics of China, including Dr. Sun-Yat Sen's efforts to bring democracy to his native country. Built in 1901, the building blends Victorian style along the . . . — Map (db m53798) HM
Alaska (Juneau Borough), Juneau — Manila Square
Panel 1: The City and Borough of Juneau Assembly Honors the Contributions of Filipinos in Juneau by naming this downtown location MANILA SQUARE Juneau Assembly Members: Dale Anderson - Don Etheridge, Jr. - Jeannie Johnson - Ken Koelsch Frankie Pillifant - Jim Powell - Randy Wanamaker - Marc Wheeler John Mackinnon, City Manager -- Sally Smith, Mayor Filipino Community of Juneau: Dannie Lazaro, President, 2002 – Morris Carrillo, President, 2003 August 19, 2002 . . . — Map (db m68849) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Parker — Poston Memorial Monument
[ The single 30 foot concrete pillar of the monument symbolizes "unity of spirit". The hexagonal base represents a Japanese stone lantern. The 12 small pillars situated around the monument make it a working sundial. Mounted on the 30 foot pillar base are six plaques and on a nearby kiosk are four additional plaques ] [ Plaques mounted on Monument Base: ] [ Photo Number 1 ] Poston This memorial monument marks the site of the Poston War Relocation Center . . . — Map (db m32258) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 442nd Regimental Combat Team Memorial
Dedicated on August 7, 1992, by E Company Veterans of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, the most decorated United States Army Unit of World War II. The all volunteer 442nd Combat Team was composed of Americans of Japanese ancestry, from the Territory of Hawaii, and the United States, many that volunteered from American concentration camps, into which these citizens had been forcefully evacuated by the United States Government in 1942. — Map (db m64182) HM WM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Asian Resource Center
1922 A neo-gothic Code Machine Factory never realized On the top floor Women of Chinatown sewed parachutes for WWII — Map (db m72763) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Oakland’s ChinatownsWa Sung Community Service Club
This marker is made up of two markers and two plaques on the same monument. One Community, Many Locations Chinese first settled in Oakland in the 18502 during the California Gold Rush. Unlike San Francisco’s Chinatown, Oakland’s Chinese community remained relatively small in the 1800s. Faced with the same challenges and obstacles as other Chinese settlements of the time, the Chinese were constantly being relocated outside of desirable neighborhoods. In 1880, the site of . . . — Map (db m72762) HM
California (Alameda County), Piedmont — The Japanese TeahouseCultural Connection Since 1907
Look carefully. Comparing today’s Japanese Tea House with early pictures, you will notice many differences. The first tea house in Piedmont Park was built by Frank C. Havens and opened on June 30, 1907. It was a replica of the late-fifteenth century Silver Pavilion in Kyoto, Japan and was the largest of its kind in the United States. To the rear of the tea house were a koi pond, moon bridge and Japanese style garden. When the City of Piedmont acquired the park in the 1920s, it tore down . . . — Map (db m72318) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Lake Chabot Historical WalkWelcome time travelers!
In February 1874 a large Chinese work force entered this woodland setting to begin construction of San Leandro Reservoir. Later renamed Lake Chabot after its French-Canadian originator Anthony Chabot, the dam was built using techniques Chabot learned and invented in the gold-fields of California. Irish blacksmiths, Portuguese teamsters, and Caucasian masons and miners would also join the construction ranks. However, it was the 800 Chinese “shovel men” that moved over 600,000 . . . — Map (db m71648) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Memorial to the Chinese LaborersLake Chabot Historical Walk
The Alameda County Historical Society dedicates this panel to: Ah Bing – 41, Kim Yuen – 29, Toy Sing – 31, and Lock Sing – 33, who died outside this tunnel. This panel is also dedicated to the countless unnamed and unsung Chinese laborers who worked on Lake Chabot Dam from 1874 to 1892. In 1888 and 1889 Chinese laborers dug and dynamited 1,438 feet through rock hillside to make this spillway tunnel. Overflow water from the lake passes through the tunnel, . . . — Map (db m71651) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Roots From Another LandLake Chabot Historical Walk
Many of the trees surrounding you have foreign roots, each with its own tale. In 1868 the Hayward Journal described Chabot’s plans to encircle the reservoir with “walnut, hickory nuts, butternuts, and other eastern and foreign nut trees.” These transplants may have included the exotic palms before you. The tree enclosed by the fences is a cork oak (Quercus suber), native to southwest Europe and northwest Africa. In 1892 Portuguese “vaquero: Frank Silva worked for . . . — Map (db m71650) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Yem-Po: Chinese Labor CampLake Chabot Historical Walk
In 1979 a renovation of Chabot dam unearthed a century-old Chinese encampment buried in the creek embankment below. California State University Hayward (now called California State University, East Bay) was contracted and students excavated over 60,000 artifacts revealing the once invisible life, diet, and work habits of the 800 Chinese people who worked on Chabot dam from 1874-1892. Soy pots and stoneware rice bowls spoke of familiar foods. Remnants of imported turtle and perhaps wild . . . — Map (db m71711) HM
California (Amador County), Fiddletown — Chew Kee Store
Rammed Earth "Adobe" Built 1850 Home-Office-Store of Dr. Yee, Chinese Herb Doctor — Map (db m42483) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — Ione's Chinatown
Looking North from this monument lies 5.22 acres which was originally deeded to Ky Kee, Hop Wah Chung, Quong On Long and Chang Hang Co. in 1883. Known as Chinatown, the community was comprised of stores, homes and a Joss House. At the peak of population approximately 1,000 Chinese lived in this town and the surrounding area. — Map (db m42397) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Oroville Chinese Cemetery1850 -1944
This cemetery was established in 1850 during the Gold Rush days to serve the Chinese communities of Lava Beds, Bagdad, Bidwell Bar and Ophir City (now Oroville). The last burial here was in 1944. — Map (db m61494) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Chinatown
This building, once owned by Sam Choy, is the only building remaining from a large Chinese settlement here in early Gold Rush days. Now owned by the City of Angels Camp. — Map (db m31889) HM
California (Colusa County), Colusa — Old Chinatown District--Circa 1890
In the 1850s, Chinese came to California, a land they called Gum Shan, meaning Mountain of Gold, for the same reason as other nationalities: to seek their fortune. As the placer gold played out, Chinese took jobs building railroads, dams, levees, and highways. In Chinatown, people could come together for comfort, safety, and religious purposes, free from the persecution to which they were accustomed. Typically, families would conduct business and live in the same building. At one time, a . . . — Map (db m54986) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — "Stone House"Circa 1865
The last remaining building of the Gold Rush era Chinese community in Old Hangtown Stone House is famous for its historical significance as an old Chinese brothel Restored by John R. Berry – Attorney at Law Architectural and design by Caywood, Nopp, Ward & Associates — Map (db m36815) HM
California (Fresno County), Coalinga — Harry S. Watanabe(1896 – 1987)
Harry Watanabe was 19 years old when he came to Coalinga from Japan in 1915. Watanabe first worked at Ayers Drug Store and the Sullivan Hotel. It was in 1928 that Watanabe found his niche in life and the vocation that left his mark on Coalinga. Watanabe had a natural instinct for gardening and was destined to play a considerable part in making Coalinga a gem – an oasis in what was nearly a hostile desert. The first settlers were faced with a brackish, hard water from local wells and . . . — Map (db m64107) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — China Alley街人唐
In 1874 600 people moved to what is now Fresno. Of those, 200 were Chinese, who made the brick and helped start the building of Fresno. A short time later, they were persuaded to settle west of the train tracks. They built an area of shops, which catered to all ethnic backgrounds. It was a thriving area that offered goods, services, and "entertainment" day and night. It was the cosmopolitan area of Fresno for many years and to this day this area still has influence on the city. The brick used . . . — Map (db m52981) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 934 — Fresno Assembly Center
This memorial is dedicated to over 5,000 Americans of Japanese ancestry who were confined at the Fresno Fairgrounds from May to October 1942. This was an early phase of the mass incarceration of over 120,000 Japanese Americans during World War II pursuant to Executive Order 9066. They were detained without charges, trial or establishment of guilt. May such injustice and suffering never recur. — Map (db m51570) HM
California (Inyo County), Independence — A Community's Living RoomManzanar National Historic Site
This auditorium is one of three original buildings remaining here from Manzanar War Relocation Center. As you walk closer, listen for laughter, tears , music—the sounds of celebration and sadness that once echoed through this building’s cavernous space. They linger in the stories you will hear inside, of those who worked and played here over many decades: internees, War Relocation In just five months, internee carpenters transformed standard government blueprints into a community . . . — Map (db m70532) HM
California (Inyo County), Independence — LegacyManzanar National Historic Site
Over the years, this monument has become an icon, inspiring a grass-roots movement to preserve Manzanar and remember the sacrifices of 120,313 Japanese Americans confined by their own government. Map (db m70549) HM
California (Inyo County), Independence — Sacred SpaceManzanar National Historic Site
Life at Manzanar was uncertain, but the prospect of dying behind barbed wire, far from home, may have been unthinkable. On May 16, 1943, Matsunosuke Murakami, 62, became the first of 150 men, women, and children to die in camp. He and 14 others, most infants and older men without families, were laid to rest in this cemetery outside the barbed wire fence in an old peach orchard from Manzanar’s farming era. Here, in the shadow of majestic Mt. Williamson, their somber funerals and memorials were . . . — Map (db m70534) WM
California (Inyo County), Independence — Weaving for the WarManzanar National Historic Site
America went to work for the war effort in 1942, and Manzanar was no exception. More than 500 young Japanese Americans wove camouflage nets here for the U.S. Army. Since citizenship was a job requirement, most saw weaving nets as a chance to prove their loyalty-and earn some money. A friendly camaraderie grew among the crews-who often worked to big band music blaring from loudspeakers—as they turned out an average 6,000 nets a month. The three 18’ tall sheds built on these long slabs . . . — Map (db m70551) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Arcadia — Santa Anita During World War II
Early in 1942 the US government designated Santa Anita Park for special usage during the war years. Pursuant to Executive Order 9066 signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, from March 30, 1942 until October 27, 1942 the facility was used as an assembly and processing center for approximately 20,000 Japanese Americans prior to their displacement to interment camps in other areas of the country. From 1942 until 1945, the government utilized the property as an Army Base – Camp . . . — Map (db m68088) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — Long Beach-Yokkaichi Sister City AssociationBuilding Leaders for a Global Community — Peace through Personal Diplomacy
This plaque was dedicated on the 50th Anniversary of the establishment of the Long Beach-Yokkaichi Sister City Association to honor the citizens of both cities who are dedicated to peach through personal diplomacy. November 8, 2013 Bob Foster Mayor, City of Long Beach Toshiyuki Tanaka Mayor, City of Yokkaichi Jeanette Schelin, President Long Beach-Yokkaichi Sister City Association Yokkaichi Friendship Garden Rededicated in 2013 to the . . . — Map (db m73101) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 486 — Chinese Cemetery ShrineNineteenth Century Los Angeles — Evergreen Cemetery
Panel 1: This monument is the oldest surviving structure of Chinese settlement in the Los Angeles area. It illustrates the use of traditional ceremonies brought from China and honors the lives of 19th century Chinese Americans. The Chinese Historical Society of Southern California respectfully dedicates the preservation of the shrine to the memory of those pioneers. Built 1888 – Declared 1990 [Seal of the: "City of Los Angeles, Founded 1783"] . . . — Map (db m74019) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Japanese-American Soldiers442nd Infantry RCT, World War II Memorial — Korean War Dead - 1950 to '53
Text on the plaque attached to the south face of the base beneath the tall column in the northwest corner [traditionally the Japanese/Japanese-American section of the cemetery]: In Sacred Memory This memorial is reverently placed here by the Japanese American Community, under the auspices of the Southern California Burial and Memorial Committee, in memory of American soldiers of Japanese ancestry who fought, suffered, and died in World War II that liberty, justice, and equal . . . — Map (db m74081) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — 988 — Pacific Asia Museum
Grace Nicholson, a noted collector and authority on American Indian and Asian Art and artifacts, supervised the design of her combination gallery and museum which was completed in 1929. It has been called an outstanding example of 1920s revival architecture and is unique for its use of Chinese ornamentation. — Map (db m59818) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Rancho Palos Verdes — Site of the First Japanese American Farm on the Palos Verdes Peninsula
This site was designated a Point of Historical Interest at a meeting in regular session on May 1, 1992 in Sacramento. It particularly honors Kumekichi Ishibashi, who built the first Japanese-American farmhouse in 1906. He was born in Japan and came to San Francisco in 1905. Taking odd jobs, he worked his way through great difficulties to the Palos Verdes Peninsula, saving gold coins until he could lease land. When he reached Portuguese Bend, he felt that he found the perfect area. However, the . . . — Map (db m31245) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Fishing Industry Memorial1883-1999
In 1892 Southern California Fish Corp. was the first cannery in Los Angeles Harbor. In 1903 a technique of preparing and canning was developed to can sardines, mackerel, bluefin tuna, yellowfin tuna and albacore. In 1912 the first fresh fish market was introduced in San Pedro and along with other markets that followed, they eventually supplied fresh and iced fish throughout our nation. Before long, flotillas of purse seine boats were sailing down from northern waters to fish in San Pedro. . . . — Map (db m72147) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — 146 — Municipal Ferry Building - Maritime Museum
Municipal Ferry Building – 1941 linked San Pedro and Terminal Island Maritime Museum since 1979 Declared Historio-Cultural Monument No. 146 by the Cultural Heritage Commission Cultural Affairs Department City of Los Angeles — Map (db m52539) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Terminal Island Japanese Memorial
Panel 1: Terminal Island Memorial From the early 1900s until World War II, the fishing village of "Fish Harbor" on Terminal Island was a thriving community of 3,000 people – primarily Japanese immigrants and their U.S.-born children. The local canneries and fishing boats played a vital role in the American fishing industry. In the village’s neat rows of shops and homes people loved, laughed, worked, played and raised families. On February 25, 1942, all villagers of . . . — Map (db m72145) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — James Yeh Jau Liu
At this site – 34 Main St. James Yeh Jau Liu (1910 - 2003) World Renowned Chinese Watercolorist and Tiburon’s Artist Laureate Operated Han Syl Studio from 1967 to 2003 Over the 35 years of offering his paintings to visitors and locals, it is estimated that over 30,000 of his works passed through these doors to museums and private collections all over the world. Citizen of the Year Charter Member of the Sunset Rotary — Map (db m69203) HM
California (Mariposa County), Coulterville — Sun Sun Wo Co.Est. 1851 — Chinatown Grocery – Coulterville, CA.
One of the earlier Gold Rush buildings, and one of the last adobe structures left, this general store was established and operated by the Chinese from 1851 until 1926. Named after it’s original owners Mow Da Sun and his son, Sun Kow, this store was a major business in the area eventually branching out to Red Cloud about ten miles north-east of here. The original shelves and counters are still in the store, and there is evidence that part of the office was used as an opium den. A . . . — Map (db m46366) HM
California (Mendocino County), Pont Arena — Fifteen Japanese from Yawatahama
(This monument is made up of three plaques. The first plaque is on the front.) This monument is dedicated to the fifteen young men from Yawatahama, Japan who sailed 11,000 kilometers across the Pacific in a 15 meter wooden boat to realize their vision of coming to America, landing at Point Arena on August 13, 1913. Their dream and courage continued to be a source of inspiration and a foundation of the friendship between the people of Yawatahama and Point Arena. Raven B. Earlygrow . . . — Map (db m64325) HM
California (Merced County), Merced — 934 — Merced Assembly Center
This was one of 15 temporary detention camps established during World War II to incarcerate persons of Japanese ancestry, a majority of whom were American citizens, without specific charges or trial. From May to September 1942, 4669 residents of Northern California were detained until permanent relocation camps were built. May the injustices and humiliation suffered here as a result of hysteria, racism and economic exploitation never recur. — Map (db m46957) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — Frontier Justice
On this site, Bridgeport's most sensational court trial occurred June 9th, 1891. Ah Quong Tai, a local Chinese businessman accused of the cannibalistic murder of Poker Tom, a well known Paiute Indian, appeared in court defended by two attorneys, J.C. Murphy and W.O. Parker. Reportedly, several hundred people gathered around the Bridgeport Justice Court to observe this much anticipated trial. Although Deputy District Attorney Hayes made a strong case, Judge T. Fales ruled there was insufficient . . . — Map (db m37596) HM
California (Monterey County), Castroville — For the Sake of the Children(The Japanese Schoolhouse)
The Early Days: 1860s to 1930s Castro founded the town in 1863 Juan Bautista Castro, from an important California family, subdivided his rancho to establish a town. He was the first in the county to offer lots to attract settlers. Castroville is the second oldest town in the county, after Monterey. Early immigrants took root in Castroville (1900s) The earliest settlers were from New England, Ireland, China, and Portugal; and later from Japan, Italy and Mexico. . . . — Map (db m63772) HM
California (Monterey County), Castroville — The Castroville Japanese SchoolhouseFor the Sake of the ChildrenKodomo No Tame Ni - Para El Bien De Los Ninos - Per Il Bene De Ragazzi
From its founding, Castroville has been home to immigrants. They came from many countries to make better lives for themselves and their children. Then, as now, the immigrants primarily worked in the fields nearby. Japanese immigrants wanted their children to value the traditions of their home country. In 1935 they built this school as a place to teach Japanese-American youth to appreciate the rich customs and heritage of the Japanese culture. Recent immigrants share the hope that their . . . — Map (db m63714) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Jone Quock MuiHistoric Cannery Row
Quock Mui was born at Point Lobos in 1859 (lower left). Her parents were Cantonese fishermen who sailed to California by seagoing junk in 1851. Point Lobos was a thriving multicultural community in the later 19th century. Quock Mui had an aptitude for language, and by the time she married fisherman Jone Yow Hoy in 1876, she was able to speak five languages. The Jones moved to the Chinese fishing village at Pescadero Point at Pebble Beach in 1876 (lower right). The family later relocated to . . . — Map (db m55144) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — McAbee BeachHistoric Cannery Row
Portuguese whalers From the California Gold Rush to nearly the turn of the century, Portuguese whalers launched boats from this beach and rowed them out into the bay to intercept whales migrating along the Monterey coastline. Once harpooned, the whales were towed back to the beach. There the blubber was removed and boiled to extract oil for use in lamps. Whaling from the beach ended in the late 1800s, when kerosene was discovered and provided a more economical way of lighting a room. . . . — Map (db m55191) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — The Filipino CommunityHistoric Cannery Row
Filipinos were attracted in large numbers to California after the 1924 Immigration Act excluded Japanese, who had been the major part of the state’s agricultural labor force. By 1930, as many as 35,000 Pinoys – young, single, male Filipino laborers – were working in California’s fields, hotels, restaurants and private homes. During World War II, a number of Filipinos from the island of Luzon, north of Manila, worked in the canneries and reductions plants. When Filipino laborers . . . — Map (db m55100) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — The Japanese CommunityHistoric Cannery Row
While the majority of Monterey’s commercial fishermen in the 1930s were Sicilian, about 10 percent of the fleet were Japanese nationals, some of whom has been fishing the bay since 1900. These Issei – first generation Japanese – came as single men from the Inland Sea coast of Honshu. In the early days of the cannery industry, the Issei were the principal suppliers of abalone and salmon. Ineligible for American citizenship, they encountered increasing social and regulatory . . . — Map (db m55101) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Thomas Cole House
Thomas Cole, an English sawyer, built this home for his family in 1856. Used over time as a dwelling house, it became the headquarters for the local Nationalist Chinese Political Party in the early 1940’s. — Map (db m63224) HM
California (Monterey County), Salinas — 934 — Salinas Temporary Detention Center
This monument is dedicated to the 3,586 Monterey Bay Area residents of Japanese ancestry, most of whom were American citizens, temporarily confined in the Salinas Rodeo Grounds during World War II from April to July 1942. They were detained without charges, trial, or establishment of guilt before being incarcerated in permanent camps, mostly at Poston, Arizona. May such injustice and humiliation never recur. — Map (db m70246) HM
California (Monterey County), Salinas — The First and Second Filipino Infantry Regiments U.S. Army
The first Filipino Infantry Regiment was activated July 13, 1942 at the Salinas California Rodeo Grounds. The Second Filipino Infantry Regiment was activated November 22, 1942 at Fort Ord. Personnel were Filipinos living in the United States then and American officers who trained in Salinas, Camp San Luis Obispo, Hunter Liggett, Camp Roberts, Camp Cooke and Camp Beale. Departed for New Guinea April 6, 1944, and fought in Leyte and Samar during the Philippine Liberation Campaign. Units supplied . . . — Map (db m28040) HM
California (Nevada County), Grass Valley — Chinatown, Grass Valley1850 – 1938
Of the many gold rush imigrants, the Chinese were noted for their honest, sober and industrious characteristics. Each mining camp had its Chinatown and Grass Valley was second only to San Francisco’s. Former residents Duck Egg, Georgie Bow, Ah Louie and the pioneer Yuen, Gon and Tinloy families are and integral part of Nevada County’s history. — Map (db m45126) HM
California (Nevada County), Rough and Ready — The China Wall
In the 1850’s, Chinese laborers, who were an essential part of the community, built the wall you see before you. Large natural stones were hand stacked for its construction. The wall extends five miles in either direction, however much of it has disintegrated over the years. This lot, along with the lot across the Gephardt’s Union Turnpike, and adjoining lots, are referred to in the Nevada County tax records as the “China Lots” as evidence of their history. — Map (db m39829) HM
California (Nevada County), Washington — Washington
In August 1850 Washington was the highest point on the South Yuba River at which gold had been discovered with over 1,000 miners. In 1870 the Chinese out numbered the white population. The last try to strike it rich was in the 1890’s. Washington is the last remaining village of the many that once flourished in the Washington Mining District. Historical Notes by Robert I. & Grace I. Slyter. — Map (db m43685) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 21 — Buddhist Church
Built in 1935 and dedicated in 1936. First Buddhist Church in Orange County. In 1954 the Church was moved to Stanton then moved to present location in Anaheim in 1965. — Map (db m59057) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 15 — Ishii Home
Kyutaro Ishii, Japanese settler, came here in 1905 and by 1910 was farming 40 acres. Returned to Japan in 1912 to marry Sada. They built a home here in 1913. — Map (db m59742) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Bosse-Morgan Building”Hop Sing Laundry”
Built in 1855 by Gordon. Early tenants included Gellespy & Co. Clothing and J. Harwood & Co. Tin and Hardware. Hop Sing operated a Chinese laundry here circa 1894 until his death in 1944. Purchased in 1897 by Henry Bosse, left to his daughters Carrie Gruhler and Minnie Morgan, it remained in the family until purchased in 1998 by Bruce and Judee Webb, Gypsy Wind Beads. — Map (db m43699) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Chinese Houses
Historical Landmark Chinese Houses Among the earliest buildings June 1855 fire started here Burned 80 buildings — Map (db m44069) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — The Auburn Joss House
Auburn’s original joss house (dedicated February 1909) was located directly across Sacramento Street. After the August 25, 1921 fire that destroyed most of Chinatown, a building was erected here that later became home to the Ling Ying Association. By 1930, the alter (circa 1860) had been retrofitted. This building served as the social and religious headquarters for the Chinese community, as well as a boarding house, a Chinese school, and as the associations’ meeting place. Typical of Chinese . . . — Map (db m43696) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — The Tsuda Grocery
Katsuichi and Tomo Tsuda of Hiroshima, Japan established the K. Tsuda General Merchandise in 1918. That original store was located at 135 Sacramento Street, about one block east of this location. The business continued to operate at that site until the Tsuda family was forced to move to wartime camps in 1942. Prior to World War II, this building was owned by the local Japanese-American community, during which it served as a Japanese school and a Buddhist church. After the war, Frank Tsuda . . . — Map (db m55649) HM
California (Placer County), Dutch Flat — Adobe Store Building
Built by Chinese in 1870's Instead of brick they used a solid wall type construction — Map (db m44643) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — La Porte’s Chinese Community
In 1870 the Chinese community of Goodwin Township consisted of 184 dwellings housing 248 people. They were accepted and more welcome here than in other mining areas due to the respect of their leader, Ah Tye in the white and Chinese communities — Map (db m56301) HM
California (Sacramento County), Isleton — Bing Kong Tong Society Building
This building dates from 1927 when it was rebuilt after a fire in 1926. The upper floor served the Chinese population as a center for religious and social activities. The Toy family operated a store two doors west called The Quong Wo Sing Co. After they moved here from Truckee in the 1880’s, they supplied food and goods to the community and labor camps in the area. The building has been acquired by the Brannan Andrus Historical Society which has plans to restore it. Dedicated this 25th . . . — Map (db m18271) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 934 — Walerga Assembly CenterLest We Forget
Walerga Assembly Center was established by the United States at the onset of World War II to assemble and temporarily detain, without charge or trial, 4,739 Sacramento residents solely because of their Japanese ancestry. Approximately 120,000 persons were uprooted from their West Coast homes and interred in ten War Relocation Centers. Over two-thirds were American citizens by birth. Given the opportunity, many thousands left the ten centers to work on farms and in war industries or to serve . . . — Map (db m16850) HM
California (San Benito County), San Juan Bautista — Jim Jack’s Cabin
Jim Jack was known as China Jim, the Mustard King. In the 1880’s he gathered mustard seed from the grain fields in the San Juan Valley. Jim Jack, “the big-hearted Chinaman” had that rarest of gifts, the gift of giving. — Map (db m62721) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 7 — Casa de Thomas Addition, 1930
While it appears to be part of the Quin Building, this structure is actually a separate addition built by Thomas Quin. Between 1930 and 1944, it was leased to several proprietors, and operated as an automobile service garage known as the Empire Garage. In 1944, Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Company used it for auxiliary storage space. It continued to serve as a warehouse for several years, then was converted for use as a restaurant. — Map (db m52685) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 88 — Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Assoc., 1911
The original tenants of the two-story, Oriental-theme structure were the Gee Goon Tong, famous for their help in plotting the 1912 revolution which formed the Republic of China. The Benevolent Society was founded in 1920 as an outgrowth of the Tong, to serve the Chinese community. — Map (db m52949) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 2 — Chinese Laundry, 1923
The south half of this building was the Hop Lee Chong Laundry, a Chinese laundry in continuous use from the building's construction in 1923 until 1964. The north half was the home of several Oriental businesses such as the "American Company", "Sunset Company", and "Tuck and Tong Herb Company". It also served as living quarters for local Oriental tenants, including various operators of the laundry. — Map (db m52651) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 86 — Chinese Mission Building, 1927
This California Mission Revival-style building was designed by Louis Gill, nephew and protege of Irving Gill. The facade of the one-story chapel features a sloping red-tile roof over a central bell tower. The Chinese Mission, located in the building until 1960, served as a social center where Chinese immigrants learned English and received religious instruction. The building was relocated to this site in 1995 from First Avenue between "G" and Market. — Map (db m52947) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Downtown San Diego
"Go forth, with spirit, the civic vision, and the courage to build the city of your dreams." —Alonzo E. Horton A Vibrant New Town The most striking evidence of the city’s downtown renaissance is its skyline. From the sculptural spires of contemporary office buildings to the preservation of vintage architecture, San Diego is constantly evolving. The history of modern San Diego began in 1867 when Alonzo E. Horton purchased nearly 1,000 acres along the harbor. Today, his vision . . . — Map (db m73906) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 5 — Lester Hotel, 1906
The first floor of this building has a colorful tenant history. The Goodwill Bar operated from 1906 to 1945. In 1945, Mike McIntosh and Sam Dini purchased the business. They were responsible for the "McDini" corned beef sandwhich of local fame. In 1923, Aurelis Abito opened the International Pool Hall. Abito was a pioneer member of San Diego's Philipino Community. The second floor was known as Hotel Lester from 1915 to 1984. — Map (db m52682) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 6 — Quin Building, 1930
In 1930, this Spanish Colonial Revival style structure was built in the heart of Chinatown for Thomas A. Quin. The top portion had two apartments, and the bottom floor was a combination storefront and storage space. Seven years after its construction, T.A. Quin passed away in one the of the upstairs apartments. Thomas Quin was the son of Ah Quin, Chinatown's founder and unofficial mayor. The Quin family is known as one of the most important Chinese families in San Diego's history. — Map (db m52687) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 87 — Quong Building, 1913
The Quong Building is not only an historical structure, it has also been the site of archeological digs. The building gets its name from Mow Yuen Quong, a business man who operated the structure from 1889 to 1928. The building has been listed in city directories as being used for an opium den, a restaurant, and an Oriental merchandise store, all during Quong's operation. Later years saw the building used as a house of prostitution run by the infamous Mary Smith. — Map (db m52948) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Alleyways in ChinatownRoss Alley
Alleyways in Chinatown were created during the early settlement of Chinese in the late 1870’s. During that period, the rapidly-growing community was restricted by anti-Chinese sentiment to a six block area behind the back streets of the Barbary Coast. To maximize space within the confines of its boundary, the community created a maze of secondary streets and pedestrian walkways. Ross Alley is located in the center of this maze. The alley is a narrow passage running between Washington and . . . — Map (db m71997) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Chinese-American War Memorial
We Salute These Americans of Chinese Ancestry who Gave Their Lives for America in World Wars I & II Tom Kwong, Leo Sai, Bill Tom, Donald Ginn Chong, Lincoln Mark, Tung Ling Yee, Harry Wong, Daniel Lim, Clifford S. Low, Hon Y. Lee, John Wing Yee, Get G. Chung, Harry Choy, Collin S. Chong, Alfred W. Chin, Leslie Y. Gee, Ed Sam Fong, Ah Fong, Goom G. Lee, Chin T. Tom, Yuen Hop, Walter Tom Lum, Tow Jer, Ging Gin, Benjamin Ralph Kimlau, Samuel Choy Sin, Clinton J. Lok, Choy Young, Douglas C. . . . — Map (db m71450) WM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Dr. Sun Yat Sen1866 - 1925
Founder of the Kuo Min Tang, Champion for Democracy, Father of the Chinese Republic and first President. Lover of mankind. Proponent of friendship and peace among the nations based on equality, justice and goodwill. — Map (db m69511) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — First Chinese Baptist Church華人浸信會
{The left side of the marker has the text in English:} This church was organized on October 3, 1880. The congregation first met in rented quarters on Washington Street across from Portsmouth Square, and moved to the present location in 1888. The first church building on this site was destroyed in the Earthquake of 1906. The present structure was built in 1908. Through the years, the Church has served the community by providing language classes; conducting various programs for . . . — Map (db m52875) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Gold Mountain
As dreams and the spirit of adventure lured “fortune-hunters” from many parts of the world to California during the mid 1800s, so the news spread to the far reaches of China. To the Chinese, California came to symbolize an image of salvation, hope and prosperity – “Gum Saan” – Gold Mountain. Struck by natural disasters, political turmoil and forced colonization, China had become a country transformed from a land of cultural wealth to a land devastated by war, . . . — Map (db m70853) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Military Intelligence Service Language SchoolNovember 1941 - April 1942
This building was the site of the first class of the Military Intelligence Service Language School November 1941 - April 1942 Eventually, six thousand Japanese-American soldier graduates served their country valiantly in the Pacific area during World War II. The United States of America owes a debt to these Nisei linguists and their families which it can never repay. Dedicated by the Military Intelligence Service Association of Northern California on November 1, 1993 — Map (db m29989) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Stockton — 934 — Stockton Assembly Center
Here, within the confines of San Joaquin County Fairgrounds, enclosed by barbed wire and housed in temporary barracks, 4,217 San Joaquin County residents of Japanese ancestry, predominately American citizens, were interned from May 10 to October 17, 1942 under Executive Order 9066. May such usurpation of civil, social, and economic rights, without specific charges or trial, never again occur. — Map (db m15958) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Cambria — Preserving a Bit of History(Chinese Temple)
This property was once Cambria’s historical “Chinese Center,” the social focus for workers who harvested seaweed and abalone for shipment back to China, or worked in local quicksilver (mercury) mines in the mountains. Here local Chinese once celebrated holidays, gambled, socialized, and took refuge from the coastal storms. Buildings included a bunk house, laundries, cabins and a structure people have called the “Chinese Temple.” It had both fraternal and religious . . . — Map (db m68511) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), San Luis Obispo — “Love” and “Double Joy”樂 愛
This mosaic tile mural, placed in the heart of the historic Chinatown District of San Luis Obispo, commemorates our City’s Chinese pioneers. As immigrants they faced prejudice and exclusionary laws, but rose above such obstacles to make major contributions to local commerce, agriculture and industries. Chinatown reached its peak in the late 19th century. Consisting of portions of three city blocks, it was the largest Chinese settlement in San Luis Obispo County. At its hub was the Ah Louis . . . — Map (db m52979) HM
California (San Mateo County), San Bruno — 934 — Tanforan Racetrack Japanese Assembly Center
Racetrack opened in 1899 and had racing seasons until it burned down in 1964. Many famous horses raced and won here. In 1942, Tanforan became a temporary assembly center for over 4000 persons of Japanese ancestry who were to be interned for the duration of World War II. — Map (db m18410) HM
California (San Mateo County), San Mateo — Central Park Veterans Memorial – Japanese American Combat Team
In Memory of 442nd Japanese American Combat Team and their families "Go For Broke" Map (db m29186) HM
California (San Mateo County), Woodside — The Chinese Wallsat Folger Estate Stable
These stone walls are part of a network of trails and roads built by Chinese immigrants. In 1872 Simon L. Jones bought 1,500 acres of timberland in Woodside and developed them into farmlands, orchards and vineyards with the use of Chinese labor. These fine, enduring walls, constructed without mortar or coping, are a testament to the craftsmanship and expertise of Chinese workers, whose labors helped to build California. — Map (db m63621) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Asahi Baseball
They built a baseball diamond with the homeplate on the Jackson and Sixth Street corner and the outfield towards the railroad tracks. Rightfield was shorter and leftfield went on across Seventh Street. The centerfield was much lower than homeplate, so the centerfielder was playing in a hole! If there was a train going by, they’d have to stop the game. It was too small actually. They had a granstand too, you know. Dr. Tokio Ishikawa — Map (db m52513) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 2 — Chinatown
From 1872 to 1887, a large Chinese population occupied this block of Market Street. Despite considerable discrimination against them, the Chinese managed to survive within their insular community. By the late 1880's, as downtown businesses began establishing themselves along South First Street, many saw Chinatown as a barrier to future expansion. Unsuccessful efforts were made to dislodge the Chinese. On May 4, 1887, a fire of suspicious origins, raced through the dense brick and wooden . . . — Map (db m26214) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Dobashi Market
“... you come upon the boiled eel, the quail’s eggs, the dried seaweed, and the squid like root called gobo, as well as the crinkly cabbage Japanese call napa and Korean pickled radishes packed in Hawaii and small cans of shrimp paste imported from Luzon.” James D. Houston — Map (db m52508) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Gran Oriente Filipino Masonic Lodge
This is a picture of second generation Filipinos. Pacita Todtod who was also known as “Pacing” was famous for being a singer appearing at the beginning of the 1948 movie, “They Were Expendable,” starring John Wayne. Curt Fukuda, 2007 — Map (db m52497) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Hori Midwife House
My grandmother kept her patients in the house for five days. My mother cooked the meals and grandmother would serve them. My mother was a very good cook. My dad taught her how; he’d learned to cook while working as a houseboy to put himself through dental school. Doris Otagaki, Granddaughter to Mito Hori — Map (db m52214) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Ideal Laundry
Ideal Laundry designed and built especially for laundry work and housed in a handsome, two-story fireproof brick building, erected as a cost of $30,000. This new enterprise was founded by I. Tsurukawa, one of the leading men in the local Japanese Community who started this business in San Jose at 168 East Santa Clara. Frank W. Murdock, Evening News, December 1929 — Map (db m52549) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Jackson Drugs
I have been at this corner most of my life being born in the midwife house across the street. Nothing has changed in the neighborhood, except the people. I’ve seen Tokunaga go, Hashimoto’s Drug store across the street become a golf shop, Tom and Mary’s closed, that was the coffee shop across the street. I’m the only one left. Bill Furukawa — Map (db m52498) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Japanese Kuwabara Hospital
The Nishiura Brothers built this Colonial Revival structure in 1910. Named after its first resident physician from Japan, Dr. Taisuka Kuwabara, the Kumamoto Kenjin-kai (a prefectural association) established the hospital to serve the Japanese community. In 1934 the Japanese Association, an Issei organization, purchased the building to use as a community center. After World War II it became the office of the Japanese American Citizen’s League. Upon its designation as a historical landmark in . . . — Map (db m52554) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Japantown Theater
San Jose Japantown was the center of many amusements. We had theater that performed Kabuki and modern shows, like “love stories.” When I was young, people gathered here with their horse and wagon – just tied their horse up to the post and sometimes kept it there all day and night. It was the only place Japanese could gather. - Katsusaburo Kawahara — Map (db m65003) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Japantowns
From the late 1800s, Japantowns began to emerge in California’s port towns and agricultural areas where Japanese immigrants helped build the state’s economy through fishing, farming and other businesses. By the 1930s, as many as forty Japan towns existed throughout the state. The forced evacuation of Japanese Americans during World War II, and later urban renewal in the 1960s and 1970s, greatly impacted the fate of these unique historic districts. This common landmark resides in three of the . . . — Map (db m52558) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Kawakami Building
When folks came back from the internment camps many of them were helped a lot by a local businessman, Torahiko Kawakami. He worked through the Buddhist Church hostel to resettle people and to get them back on their feet. He became known as Japantown’s “Ombudsman.” Wright Kawakami — Map (db m52550) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Ken Ying Low
Ken Ying Low was renowned for its homemade noodles, and visitors from Sacramento and San Francisco would always stop at the restaurant for “the best chow mein.” There were several generation of excellent cooks, and one remembered was Ng Guey. Children would watch how he made noodles, kneading the dough by jumping up and down on a long bamboo pole. Connie Young Yu — Map (db m52548) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Mr. Peckham
Because of the Alien Land Laws in California, Mr. Peckham held land in his name for those of Japanese, Chinese, Filipino and other Asian ancestries ... until the oldest native born child in the family turned 21. He would then transfer the land to that child ... There were many times when my dad would come home with vegetables given to him by his insurance customers and it was too much for just our family and so my mother or he would “bag” the vegetables and I would jump on my . . . — Map (db m65005) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Ng Shing GungTemple of Five Gods
The original Ng Shing Gung, or Temple of Five Gods, was constructed in 1888 on Cleveland Avenue near Taylor Street in Heinlenville, and early San Jose Chinatown. Heinlenville consisted of a network of small streets within the block bordered by Sixth, Seventh, Taylor and Jackson streets. The building was constructed by Chinese labor under the direction of Yee Fook. Construction was financed by public subscription for $2000. The building served the Chinese community as a meeting hall, cultural . . . — Map (db m52164) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Nihonmachi[Japantown]
[This marker is composed of four panels, each located at one corner of the intersection of Jackson and North Fifth Streets in San Jose.] [Panel 1, south corner] Pioneers 1890s to 1920s During the 1890s, Nikkei (Japanese in America) migrant workers began to seek seasonal employment in the fields and orchards of Santa Clara Valley following the paths pioneered by Chinese. As the number of Chinese farm workers declined because of the 1882 Chinese Exclusion Act, Japanese . . . — Map (db m52450) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Old Japantown Garage
Card playing was a social outlet. When I was young, my grandfather brought me here when he stopped to see his friends. The windows were soaped to prevent people from peering in. I was only allowed to sit on a stool and watch the card games. The game [t]hey played was “Hana” – using small Japanese woodblock picture cards that were kept in dovetailed boxes. Carole Murotsune Rast — Map (db m52514) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — San Jose Buddhist Church Betsuin
In 1902 a San Jose Buddhist Church was founded as a recognized branch of the San Francisco Buddhist Church. In 1906 property at 630 North 5th Street was purchased and services conducted by the first resident minister from Japan Reverend Honen Takahashi. Brothers Shinzaburo and Gentaro Nishiura built a new church at this site in 1913 which was renamed the Independent Buddhist Mission. In 1917 this church became known as the Buddhist Church of San Jose. The present Hondo was erected in 1937 at . . . — Map (db m26221) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Sumo Ring Site
People also made a sumo wresting ring in the baseball grounds and had tournaments. Dr. James Dobashi was the strongest then. Nobody could even be compared with him. Dr. Isamu Kawamura — Map (db m52511) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Taihei Hotel
Mr. Taketa built this hotel around 1915 to accommodate traveling businessmen and dignitaries to San Jose. There used to be a lot of people playing the game Go in the lobby. Jimi Yamaichi, 2007 — Map (db m52551) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Takalkni Printing
There were several pool halls, but no gambling houses in Japantown. However a Japanese-operated print shop on Jackson Street which made cannery labels, printed lottery tickets for the Chinese. A gambling “runner” would come from Chinatown regularly to Japantown to sell lottery tickets to each house or store. Occasionally, adults allowed children to participate. Connie Young Yu — Map (db m52510) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Tanizawa Grocery
We had everything in our store for the farmers. Dry goods. Work clothes. Japanese zori, tabi, pots and pans and dishes. We opened at seven in the morning and closed at ten at night everyday. Christmas day was one of the busiest days we had. New Year’s was the only day we were closed. Jun Tanizawa — Map (db m52496) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — The Second Buddhist Church
The second Buddhist church building was situated where the Annex is now located. This building was established in 1908 as the “Independent Buddhist Church” when Reverend Hone Takahashi and certain church members seceded from the original Hongwanji church on Sixth Street. In 1917, they were reunited to form the Buddhist Church of San Jose. The second church building was used for the new combined church. In the 1930s, a gym was added next to the second church building. The present . . . — Map (db m65006) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Tom & Mary’s Snack Shop & Dr. Watanabe’s Office
The first Japanese American surgeon in San Jose was Dr. Lee Watanabe. His office was above Tom and Mary’s Snack Shop. He was pretty short, but when he was standing on his box doing surgery, he was a giant. Sue Inouye — Map (db m52494) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Wesley United Methodist ChurchChartered August, 13, 1895
Wesley United Methodist Church was chartered August, 13, 1895 by the evangelical spirit and vision of pioneer Issei Christians and the struggles and hopes of immigrant families who had come to farm rich soil of the Santa Clara Valley. With a simple and sincere faith these early Issei gathered to worship God, to have fellowship and to nurture each other in Christian love. In 1913 their sacrifices and labor built the first modest church structure at this site. With the help of Christian . . . — Map (db m52222) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Wing’s Chinese Restaurant
Dad would teach us things, but we were not interested in the restaurant. We saw how hard he worked. He started working at ten in the morning and wouldn’t stop until two the next morning. Every day. Seven days a week. Dr. James Chan, 2006 — Map (db m52495) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Yasunaga Produce and Transfer Company
Occupying the entire south side of Taylor Street between 5th and 6th was a truck transfer company owned by Mr. K. Yasunage. Farmers had to sell their produce in San Francisco and Oakland markets and needed someone to transport the produce. Most farmers had Mr. Yasunaga’s trucks come to their farm to pick up the produce and take it to the market. Once in a while, if the farmer had a truck, they would bring the produce to the truck transfer company yard so it can be carried to the market. Dr. Tokio Ishikawa — Map (db m52493) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Yreka — Yreka Chinese Cemetery
There are two plaques located at the kiosk next to the Yreka Chinese Cemetery. The Yreka Chinese Cemetery was created by the Yreka city Board of Trustees in August 1877. The United States government issued a patent to the Central Pacific Railroad on April 12, 1898, for a parcel of land that contained the cemetery plot. There were fiftytwo (sic) individuals interred in this cemetery. Below is a list of the individuals interred in the Yreka Chinese Cemetery. The information on . . . — Map (db m70112) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Chinese Tong War
In the year 1854 on this site two belligerent Chinese Tongs fought a pitched battle, 2000 participated, 26 lost their lives, and many were wounded. — Map (db m56084) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Joss House
This Joss House Was built in 1874 by Chinese Miners who came to the Trinity County in search of gold. — Map (db m56145) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Lee Family Ranch House
This house built in 1917 by family members on land purchased from Mrs. J. Putnam is located adjacent to the 32 acre Lorenz Ranch farmed by the Lee family since 1906. Acquired from the Lee family in 1989 by Trinity County. — Map (db m56193) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Old Weaverville Fire Station
This building, with its rammed earth wall was constructed by early Chinese settlers. On January 17, 1910, it was purchased by the Weaverville Fire District and was their fire station until 1949. In 1979, the local fire district, with funding from the California Department of Parks and Recreation and the local Rotary Club, built a protective structure to preserve the rammed earth walls. — Map (db m56020) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Weaverville Chinatown
Chinatown business district was centered in this area. On September 10, 1874, fire destroyed everything from the corner of Highway 3 & Main Street to the Pacific Brewery, except four adobe buildings. Again, on September 30, 1905, fire destroyed all of the buildings on both sides of the street in this area except the four adobe buildings. On April 15, 1977, fire destroyed the three adobe buildings owned by the Sam Lee family. — Map (db m56027) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — 709 — Won Lim Miao
Hundreds of Chinese miners came to the Weaverville area in the 1850’s and prospered despite hardships, discrimination and tax on foreign miners. The first house of worship burned in 1873; the Chinese continued their religious traditions in the present temple, dedicated April 18, 1874. Moon Lim Lee, trustee and grandson of one of its contributors, gift-deeded the “Temple Amongst the Forest Beneath the Clouds” to the state. — Map (db m56086) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Chinese Camp — Old Crimea House
Built in 1853 by James W. Kerrick. Having come over the emigrant trail, to Keystone District with nine covered wagons. This place originally housed a restaurant, bar rooms and stables. Located on the main road from San Joaquin and Bay Region into the Southern Mines sector and chief station for freight. On Sept. 26, 1856 the Great Tongs War fought near by 2100 Chinese. Burned down on Oct. 8, 1949. The last historic landmark in Keystone District. — Map (db m53311) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Columbia — A Cosmopolitan SocietyWith a Dash of Gold!
Columbia was a boomtown. The discovery of gold in 1850 attracted thousands of miners here. As more people arrived, the demand for goods, services and entertainment soared. In the gold rush, Columbia stores and other businesses thrived. The town served people from South America, Central America, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and Australia. They brought to Columbia their energies and skills, as well as their cultural traditions. The north side of town became a bustling melting pot of . . . — Map (db m53301) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Columbia — Claverie Building
Shortly after the fire of August, 1857, this one-story brick structure was built by three Frenchmen; L. Claverie, Charles Meysan, and Victor Pinchard. After their partnership dissolved in 1861, Meysan owned the building until 1869. He sold it to Sun Lun Sing and it became known as the “The Old China Store”. This formerly French section of town became a predominantly Chinese area. By the mid-1870s a Joss House and Chinese theater adjoined the Claverie Building. — Map (db m53300) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Sonora — A Portal of the PastSonora Chinatown
This monument is dedicated to the memory of the Chinese Pioneers who for years made this section their home. It was a city within a city whose residents were isolated from their surrounding neighbors by a barrier of language, custom and religion. Originally known as the “Tigre”, for years this area bore a somber reputation noted for the fondas and fandango houses that catered to Sonora’s rougher element. In the 1860’s, the Tigre began to assume an Oriental character and during the next century became known as Chinatown. — Map (db m53333) HM
California (Yolo County), Woodland — Original railroad
In 1869 the branch line of the California Pacific Railroad (Cal-P) was laid, connecting Davisville to Woodland to Knights Landing to Yuba City. The tracks crossed the alley about here, angling from Main and College (then called Railroad Street). In 1872 the line was removed and relaid along what became East Street. Up to 16,000 Chinese men worked on California railroads in the 1860s. Joe Scarpa created this marker in 2005 with funds provided by the Stroll Through History Committee as part . . . — Map (db m55676) HM
California (Yuba County), Marysville — Chinese Rock Wall
The close proximity of the gold mines and the railroad construction contributed to Marysville’s large Chinese population in the mid to late 1880’s. When those activities diminished, the Chinese worked in various occupations, many as laborers building rock walls throughout Northern California. This section of rock wall was relocated from Sutter Buttes in a tribute to the Chinese that settled in Marysville’s Historic Chinatown. — Map (db m65965) HM
California (Yuba County), Olivehurst — Marysville Migrant Labor Campsite
1935 – 1937 Arboga Japanese Relocation Center April 16, 1942 - June 29, 1942 <--------<<<< — Map (db m65969) HM
Colorado (Prowers County), Granada — Amache - Granada Relocation Center
Marker No. 1: Amache During the first months of World II, the United States Government ordered over 110,000 men, women, and children of Japanese descent to leave their homes, and incarcerated them in remote, military-style camps. The government order came in response to a rising tide of racial prejudice against Japanese Americans and growing national security fears, which prevailed over the protection of individual civil liberties. Yet two-thirds of these individuals were . . . — Map (db m62111) HM
Colorado (Prowers County), Granada — Granada Relocation Center (Amache)
Granda Relocation Center (Amache) has been designated a National Historic Landmark (A close Japanese translation:) グランダ移転センター(Amache)は国定歴史建造物に指定されている During World War II, more than 7,300 Japanese Americans were interned here following their forced . . . — Map (db m70747) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — 8 — Mount Pleasant: The Immigrants' Journey
Low cost housing in Mount Pleasant in the decades following World War II made it an ideal place for immigrants to the area. Refugees fleeing World War II and the Cold War in Eastern Europe were the first group to arrive. A small Czech community lived along Park Road until the 1990s. In the 1980s refugees from wars in El Salvador, Guatemala, and Nicaragua found a home in Mount Pleasant. Good wages -- often ten times as high as in their native countries -- continue to lure immigrants from Central . . . — Map (db m68731) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Japanese American Memorial to Patriotism During World War II
[Panel 1 of the historical narrative at memorial entrance]: On February 19, 1942, 73 days after the United States entered World War II, President Franklin Roosevelt issued Executive Order 9066 which resulted in the removal of 120,000 Japanese American men, women, and children from their homes in the western states and Hawaii. Allowed only what they could carry, families were forced to abandon homes, friends, farms and businesses to live in ten remote relocation centers guarded by . . . — Map (db m40541) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Chinatown — e.6 — ChinatownCivil War to Civil Rights — Downtown Heritage Trail
dragons to bring rain, prosperity and friendship More than 280 dragons, crowned by 700 glazed tiles, look down from the Chinatown Friendship Archway before you. Symbols of the spirits that bring rain and prosperity in China, these painted and carved dragons are fitted together like a giant jigsaw puzzle in the ancient Chinese building tradition of "gong" balancing. Seven roofs of weighing nine tons each are cantilevered, with no nails almost 50 feet above the street. This is . . . — Map (db m26935) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Judiciary Square — e.8 — Lillian and Albert Small Jewish MuseumCivil War to Civil Rights — Downtown Heritage Trail
Jewish Historical Society of Greater Washington “The neighborhood was our whole life.” Albert Small, born in the neighborhood in 1902. This is the oldest surviving synagogue building in Washington. Constructed in 1875 by Adas Israel Congregation, and originally located at Sixth and G Streets, it served the German-Jewish immigrant shopkeepers in the neighborhood. Albert Small, a member of the congregation, grew up on Fifth Street and recalled that as a boy, “the . . . — Map (db m29761) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Northwest — Dr. Philip Jaisohn, 1864-1951First Korean American
Dr. Philip Jaisohn was a pioneer of independence, democracy and public awakening for the Korean people. After the failed 1884 reformation movement, he was exiled to the United States, where he became the first Korean-born to become an American citizen. A graduate of Columbian Medical College, he practiced medicine in Washington, DC, later serving the U.S. government as a wartime physician. Both in Korea and in the United States, Dr. Jaisohn made relentless efforts for the independence of . . . — Map (db m39925) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — Afong Villa — Waikīkī Historic Trail
On this site stood the villa of Chun Afong, Hawai‘i’s first Chinese millionaire, who arrived in Honolulu in 1849. By 1855, he had made his fortune in retailing, real estate, sugar and rice, and for a long time held the government monopoly opium license. Chun Afong was a member of King Kalakaua’s privy council, and married Julia Fayerweather, a descendent of Hawaiian royalty, with whom he had 16 children, 13 of whom were daughters. He was the inspiration for Jack London’s famous story, . . . — Map (db m49676) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Waikiki — “Brothers in Valor” MemorialFort DeRussy, Oahu, Hawaii
Honoring the World War II Veterans of the 100th Infantry Battalion (Separate), the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, the Military Intelligence Service, and the 1399th Engineer Construction Battalion. “Veterans who served in these units, which are deeply rooted to Hawaii, have rendered significant service to their nation, often with great sacrifice.” —Lt. General Robert L. Ord, III, Commander, U.S. Army, Pacific. November 1995. 100th Infantry Battalion (Separate), . . . — Map (db m26939) HM
Hawaii (Maui County), Wailuku — Monument of Christian Faith
In the distant future, when our descendants ask, tell them here lies the first altar made by Korean American Christians. Today, when more than three thousand Korean churches in America, along with their members ask, tell them you all are Diasporas as a result of 100 years of prayers and devotion. When someone ask what we must do from now on, tell them to uphold and carry on the vision of world mission. This monument of Christian faith was built to commemorate the occasion of . . . — Map (db m73191) HM
Idaho (Jerome County), Hunt — A Question of Loyalty
The Honor Roll sign listed the names of Minidoka men and women who served in World War II, attesting to their honor and loyal citizenship. But not all viewed honor and loyalty in the same way. The government issued a questionnaire in early 1943 to all internees, 17 or older, aimed at determining suitability for military service. But two problematic questions emerged. Question 27 confused women and the elderly, who feared a "yes" answer might require they serve in the military. Question 28 . . . — Map (db m71748) HM
Idaho (Jerome County), Hunt — Honor RollMinidoka Relocation Center
Nearly every relocation center built an Honor Roll sign listing the names of Japanese American internees serving in World War II. Minidoka's sign, which stood near the rock garden, was erected on October 14, 1943. By the war's end nearly 1,000 names were listed. On February 1, 1943, President Roosevelt activated the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, a mostly Japanese American unit, which joined ranks with the 100th Infantry Battalion of the Hawaii National Guard. The combined Nisei 100th and 442nd . . . — Map (db m71749) HM
Idaho (Jerome County), Hunt — Minidoka National Historic SiteGarden Under Guard — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior
Internees created a garden behind the Honor Roll sign. The entrance garden was a cultural expression of inner strength and patriotism in contrast to the entrance gate, a symbol of confinement and injustice. The garden spoke liberty. The gate spoke captivity.

The ornamental garden, the vision of Fujitaro Kubota, was built in June 1944 after the Honor Roll sign was erected. Using traditional Japanese gardening techniques combined with Japanese and American Symbolism, Kubota’s crew built a . . . — Map (db m62957) HM WM

Idaho (Jerome County), Hunt — Minidoka Relocation CenterAugust 16, 1942 to October 26, 1945
You are standing at the entrance area of the Minidoka Relocation Center, one of ten American concentration camps established in World War II to incarcerate the 110,000 Americans of Japanese decent in coastal regions off our Pacific states.

Here 10,000 Japanese American victims of war-time hysteria occupied a 950-acre camp, living a bleak, humiliating life in tarpaper barracks, behind barbed wire and under armed guard.

May these camps serve to remind us what can happen when other . . . — Map (db m62956) HM

Idaho (Jerome County), Hunt — On GuardMinidoka Interment National Monument — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior
The camp’s entrance was a stark and constant reminder that the internees were prisoners in their own country. Even though most internees were U.S. born citizens loyal to the principles and values of the country, they were denied their civil, constitutional, and human rights. They were no longer free.

Today the foundations of two of the four entrance gate buildings remain, the Military Police Building and the Reception Building. The entrance gate was the most heavily guarded location in the . . . — Map (db m62961) HM WM

Idaho (Jerome County), Hunt — Soothing WatersMinidoka Internment National Monument — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior
The North Side Canal brought solace to internees homesick for the Pacific Northwest. Here in the dry Idaho desert, the canal reminded them of familiar scenes in Oregon, Washington, and Alaska, where flowing waters were commonplace. The canal was their home tie.

Internees spent hours sitting on the canal listening to and watching the soothing waters. Anglers in the camp demonstrated their skill catching fish from waters deemed---caught brought moments of escape----and confinement of camp . . . — Map (db m62962) HM

Idaho (Jerome County), Hunt — Supporting the Camp
Toshio Toyoji and his 44 whse. (warehouse) 20 carpenters make and finish practically all of the office furniture. They remodel and alter barracks for schools and evacuee housing as well as the staff housing. The project sign shop is also located in whse. 20. The Minidoka Interlude, 1943 Minidoka was run like a military post. You are standing in its warehouse area. A lumber yard and 17 warehouse buildings were located here. The buildings were used for storage, maintenance, . . . — Map (db m71760) HM
Illinois (La Salle County), LaSalle — Dr. Paul Carus / Dr. Daisetz Teitaru Suzuki
Dr. Paul Carus Born July 18, 1852, Ilsenburg in Harz, Germany Died February 11, 1919, LaSalle, Illinois Dr. Paul Carus, who lived and worked at 1307 7th St, LaSalle, Illinois, was editor of the Open Court Publishing Company & The Open Court magazine (1887-1919) & editor of The Monist (1896-1919). These were founded by Mr. Edward Charles Hegeler to provide an open international forum for religious, scientific, and philosophic thought. After the First World Parliament of Religions . . . — Map (db m65300) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Denis House
One of three once identical row houses erected in 1834 for Henry Raphael Denis, an attorney. Dr. Jokichi Takamine (1854-1922), Japanese chemist, philanthropist and co-commissioner for the 1884-1885 World’s Cotton Exposition, is said to have resided here during the World’s Fair. Here he met and later married Caroline Field Hitch, daughter of Ebenezer Hitch, a retired Union Officer who lived in the house at that time. A founder of the American Biotechnology Industry, Takamine is credited . . . — Map (db m55033) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Oxon Hill — Saint Lorenzo RuizFirst Filipino Saint — St. Columba Church
Saint Lorenzo Ruiz First Filipino Saint Born: Binondo, Manila, Philippines, 1600[?] Died for the Faith: Nagasaki, Japan, 1637 -- Spirit of the Living God Charismatic Community, Filipino Ministry and St. Columba Parish. Dedicated, November 1, 2003 Solemnity of All Saints -- “I shall die for God, And for Him I will give many thousands of lives if I had them.” — Map (db m40715) HM
Nevada (Lyon County), Dayton — 163 — ChinatownEarly Name of Dayton
The first Chinese were brought to this site in 1856 to build the "Reese" ditch from the Carson River to the entrance of Gold Canyon. The ditch was used for placer mining. The Chinese soon began reworking the placers, earning a living from those abandoned by the miners. So many Chinese followed (200) that the settlement was called Chinatown. The name was changed to Dayton in 1861 in honor of John Day, who laid out the town and later became General of Nevada. — Map (db m69688) HM
Nevada (Storey County), Virginia City — 5 — ChinatownGenerally bordered on the North and South by Sutton and Union and on the East and West by G and L St — Comstock Historical Marker No. 5
The first Chinese came to the Comstock in the early 1860s after having worked on the Reese River Ditch project in Dayton, NV in the mid-1850s. Prejudice against them was prevalent at the time, due to their strange customs and traditions that was not understood by the rest of society. Consequently, they were denied rights that were taken for granted by the rest of the community. A provision in an early Virginia City mining document of 1859 stated: “No Chinaman shall hold a claim in this . . . — Map (db m50106) HM
Nevada (Washoe County), Reno — 248 — Virginia & Truckee Railroad Right of Way
Soon after the Chinese laborers graded this section during the summer of 1871, track gangs commenced laying rail south, reaching Steamboat Springs by late October. To celebrate the occasion numerous residents rode an excursion train to Steamboat on November 7. Nine months later Superintendent Henry M. Yerington drove the last spike a mile west of Carson City on August 24, 1872, connecting Virginia City with Reno by rail. Although regularly scheduled passenger service didn't begin until October . . . — Map (db m73947) HM
Nevada (Washoe County), Sparks — 29 — Chinese in Nevada1864 - 1964
This honors the heroism and hardihood of the thousands of Chinese who played a major role in the history of Nevada. From across the Pacific the Chinese came to California during the Gold Rush of '49 and on to the mountains and deserts of this state where they built railroads, cut timber and performed countless humble tasks. Sizeable Chinese communities grew up here in Virginia City and other towns. Their contribution to the progress of the state in its first century will be forever remembered by all Nevadans. — Map (db m73946) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Lordsburg — Camp Lordsburg
Near this site the US Army operated a camp during World War II. It opened as an internment camp for the Japanese and Japanese-American civilians from 1942-43. It later reopened as the Lordsburg Prisoner of War Camp for Germans and Italians from 1943-45. This camp is one of the few sites in the US to house Japanese, Germans and Italians during its operations. — Map (db m60678) HM
New York (New York County), Chinatown, New York City — Americans of Chinese Ancestry
[Panel 1]: In memory of the Americans of Chinese ancestry who lost their lives in defense of freedom and democracy. [Chinese characters and insignia of the American Legion.] [Panel 2]: Dedicated by the Lt. Benj. Ralph Kimlau Chinese Memorial Post 1291 April 29, 1962. Poy G. Lee, AIA, Architect. Built by De Nigris Monument Co. — Map (db m28168) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 76-25 — Asians in the American Civil War
Side A: Despite exclusionary laws preventing U.S. citizenship, Asians served in the Union and Confederate armies and navies during the American Civil War (1861-1865). Many of these soldiers were denied citizenship following their services due to the anti-Asian sentiment, which culminated in the Naturalization Act of 1870 and the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882. The exclusionary laws continued until 1943, and all restrictions on national origin or race were abolished in 1965. In April . . . — Map (db m26933) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Chinese Immigrants
Chinese Immigrants came to Deadwood to make their fortune. After burial in Mt. Moriah, with appropriate ceremonies, the remains were removed for reburial in their home village in China. Not more than two bodies remain in the Chinese Section. — Map (db m49688) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — El Paso's Chinese Community
Chinese immigrants first arrived in El Paso shortly before the Southern Pacific Railroad completed its line here in 1881. The earliest immigrants opened a rooming house and a grocery store. Soon afterwards, the U.S. Government passed the Chinese exclusion act (1882) which restricted Chinese immigration. However, enough Chinese remained to create a vibrant community throughout downtown El Paso. Into the early 1020's, El Paso's Chinese community was the largest in Texas. The Chinese . . . — Map (db m37904) HM
Texas (Harris County), Webster — 10758 — Seito and Kiyoaki SaibaraContributions to the Texas Rice Industry by
Seito Saibara (1861-1939), former president of Doshisha University in Kyoto, Japan, and first Christian member of the Japanese Diet (Parliament). Arrived in the United States in 1901 to study theology, and with the desire to establish a Japanese colony in America. Saibara came to Texas in August 1903 at the invitation of the Houston Chamber of Commerce to advise farmers on the cultivation of rice, which was emerging as a major cash crop. He decided rice farming was the ideal business for a . . . — Map (db m50130) HM
Texas (Val Verde County), Langtry — Site of Vinegarroon
Crossing the Pecos River Canyon was the last major obstacle the Southern Pacific Railroad faced in completing its southern transcontinental route linking New Orleans and San Francisco. As "Tunnel No. 2" was excavated on the west side of the canyon in 1882, a camp for the railroad workers was established near the site. Named Vinegarroon for a type of scorpion found in the area, the camp served as a temporary home for thousands of primarily Chinese laborers. Roy Bean had a saloon and served as . . . — Map (db m36442) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Brigham City — Chinese ArchA Monument in Limestone
Ancient Lake Bonneville once covered this area, including the flanks of Promontory Range. The waves washing against the ancient shore eroded fault-fractured rocks, creating the arch in the 300-million-year-old Oquirrh Formation. More than likely, Chinese Arch was named in recognition of the presence and contribution made by the Chinese who worked on the transcontinental railroad. While the arch was created by forces of nature, today it stands as a memorial to the Chinese who worked for . . . — Map (db m69125) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — Dalton Wells
Civilian Conservation Corps Camp DG-32 (Co. 234) 1935-1942 During the Great Depression of the 1930s, CCC Camps were scattered all over the USA. They provided gainful employment to youth of the nation with work on public service projects. Between 1933 and 1942, four camps were located near Moab. Each camp worked on various natural resource projects for the Soil Conservation Service, the National Park Service, and the forerunner of the Bureau of Land Management.

DG-32 was a . . . — Map (db m47587) HM

Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — American Volunteer Group, China Air Task Force and the 14th Air Force
This oak tree was planted as a memorial to those who served in the American Volunteer Group, the China Air Task Force and the 14th Air Force during World War II. Dedicated by the members of the Flying Tigers of the 14th Air Force Association 1945-1995 50th Anniversary of VJ Day. — Map (db m11694) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — Sailors, Coast Guardsmen and Marines of African and Asian-Pacific DescentCooks, Stewards, and Messmen
In memory of all U.S. Sailors, Coast Guardsmen and Marines of African and Asian-Pacific Descent who honorably served officers as cooks, stewards and messmen on U.S. Navy ships and bases and who valiantly manned battle stations during World War II and all other major conflicts. The emblem of the Units K-West and B-East Mess Attendants Association, USN 1932-1974, is at the top of the marker. On either side of this emblem are the words, "We Served. We Fought. We Died. We Survived." — Map (db m70767) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Chinese American Soldiers MemorialSeattle
Dedicated to American Soldiers of Chinese Ancestry in Seattle and vicinity who died in the service of their country during World War II, 1941 - 1945 [Translation in Chinese calligraphy] Yeu Louie Lee Hong Chew Bak Hong Chin John Chinn Bing Poy Wong Henry Ferren Goon Chris Y. Chen Lawrence Lew Kay Thick Yuen Look Lock Moon Kwong — Map (db m26934) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Pioneer Square Historic District
[This marker is consists of seven panels and a map which deal with various aspects to the history of Pioneer Square. The panels are clustered together in Occidental Park in the heart of Seattle’s Pioneer Square Historic District.] [Panel 1] [Click on photo #1 to view photos described in Panel 1 marker text.] Birth of a City On November 13, 1851, friendly Duwamish natives watched as families in the Denny Party came ashore on a windswept West Seattle beach. . . . — Map (db m69830) HM
Wyoming (Uinta County), Evanston — Evanston
Evanston was established by the Union Pacific Railroad Company late in 1868. In the first county election, September 6, 1870, Evanston was chosen county seat. Union Pacific Railroad shops moved here in the fall of 1871. Timber and sawmill operations were the leading business. Cattle and sheep ranching became the basic industry of Unita county. In the '70s and early '80s, a Chinese Joss House, one of the three in the United States, attracted thousands of Chinese for Chinese New Year's Day . . . — Map (db m67738) HM
167 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 185 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.