|Australia, New South Wales, Boree — Sir Thomas Mitchell|
|From this vicinity Sir Thomas Mitchell's second expedition proceeded on April 7, 1835 to the Darling River, his third expedition on March 19, 1836 to Australia Felix (Western Victoria), and his fourth expedition on December 15, 1845 to Tropical Australia (Central Queensland). R.A.H.S. — Map (db m38374) HM|
|Australia, New South Wales, Lithgow — The Great Zig Zag — Lithgow|
|A railway zig zag is a series of reversing ramps used to avoid very steep grades. John Whitton, Engineer in Chief NSW Government Railways 1856-90, chose this as the economical method for the descent from Clarence to Lithgow. Built during 1866-69 by contractor Patrick Higgins, it involved massive rock excavations, a tunnel and three stone arch viaducts. During its 41 years of operation it accelerated the development of western New South Wales and achieved world renown as a major engineering work. — Map (db m59808) HM|
|Australia, New South Wales, Manly — Marine Parade — 1920s|
|From this lookout, formally attired spectors (sic) watch a surf carnival against a sweeping panorama of thriving pines. Today high-rise buildings dwarf the trees, which were damaged by airborne pollution from North Head sewage works. Since the construction of the deepwater ocean outfall Manly Council has undertaken an extensive replanting and rehabilitation scheme to restore the beauty of the heritage listed beach.
In 1898 the promenade to Fairy Bower was constructed above the sewer line . . . — Map (db m70686) HM|
|Australia, New South Wales, Tuross Head — McWilliam Park Whale Burial Site|
Whales (generally humpback or southern-right) can provide a magnificent spectacle off this coastline during their annual migration south, from September to November.|
Many long-time residents of Tuross Head can recall the arrival of a whale on the beach below, in November, 1980. The whale unfortunately did not survive this ordeal and was buried under the prominent grass mound to be seen on the foreshore. — Map (db m38375) HM
|Australia, New South Wales (Beresford), Cooma — Cooma 1890 / Cooma 1925|
| This marker is made up of two panels placed back to back.
During the 1880s Cooma was expanding rapidly and Sharp Street had become the town’s main thoroughfare, although settlement was still quite scattered. Some very substantial buildings had been constructed, some of which have now been demolished while others have been modified so they are hardly recognisable (sic) as Victorian buildings. The large white building in the centre of the picture stands on the . . . — Map (db m70674) HM|
|Australia, New South Wales (Beresford), Cooma — Lambie Street|
|This marker consists of two plaques placed back to back.
In the 1850s Cooma was developing in two areas, one around Lambie and Mulach Street, the other over the hill where Centennial Park and Sharp Street are now. Nevertheless for the first twenty years Lambie Street was the commercial centre of Cooma.
Lambie Street is registered by the National Trust as a heritage precinct. This is because many of Cooma’s oldest buildings are there and as modern development virtually passed it . . . — Map (db m70675) HM|
|Australia, New South Wales (Claredon), Gundagai — Prince Alfred Bridge Viaduct — Gundagai Town of Historic Bridges|
|The old town of Gungafai was built on the flats where these bridges now cross. The town was first gazetted and surveyed in 1838. The town flooded about 1 metre in 1844 and 1851.
On the 25th June 1852 the old town was destroyed by a flood 4 to 5 metres deep across the flats. There were 78 recorded deaths. This was Australia’s worst natural disaster. An even greater flood followed in 1853. There after the present town site was developed.
Prince Alfred was Queen Victoria’s second son. . . . — Map (db m71067) HM|
|Australia, New South Wales (Clive), Tenterfield — Historic Stannum House — circa 1888|
Built in 1888 “Stannum” Latin for tin, hence the owner, Mr. John Holmes Reid made the first of his fortune in tin mining.
Stannum is a Victorian-Italiante villa, triple brick, double airflow system with granite foundations sitting on solid granite rock insuring no movement. The exterior has been rendered to give a stone type appearance.
Marble fireplaces throughout, cedar galore, and artwork fit for a palace. Stannum is 3 . . . — Map (db m70697) HM|
|Australia, New South Wales (Inglis), Tamworth — Electric Street Lighting|
|Tamworth N.S.W. was the first town in Australia to introduce electric street lighting by means of two 18kw steam driven Crompton dynamos. Electricity was supplied to 52 street lights using 140 Swan incandescent lamps and 7 Crompton carbon arc lamps.
9th November 1888 — Map (db m70695) HM|
|Australia, New South Wales (Inglis), Tamworth — Vietnam War Memorial — Lest We Forget|
1962 – 1973
Their bodies are buried in peace and their names liveth for evermore
Killed in Action
213780 Pte Wilson M.A.F.
1 RAR 8 Jan 66
2781465 2 Lt Sharp G.C.
6 RAR 18 Aug 66
23916 Maj Bourne D.M.
5 RAR 14 Feb 67
781899 Pte Birchell M.J.
6 RAR 17 Feb 67
18665 Spr Wride D.S.
1 Fd Sqn 10 Jul 67
1731955 Pte Weston L.J.
2 RAR 30 Sep 67
2137680 Tpr Woyzey D.J.
B Sqn 3 Cav Regt 14 . . . — Map (db m71048) WM|
|Australia, New South Wales (Northumberland), Morpeth — Historic Arnott Bakehouse — circa 1851|
|This historic Bakehouse was built by Richard Chapman during 1851. Chapman was a property owner, butcher and businessman of Morpeth whose residency extended from at least 1850 to his death in 1867. The building has technical value as a rare, authentic trade industrial building providing evidence of early bakehouse design and technology. It also provides intact evidence of an early colonial workplace and represents an aspect of trade and occupation in a regional area that has direct links with . . . — Map (db m70687) HM|
|Australia, Tasmania, Hobart — Risdon Landing Centenary|
erected to commemorate the Centenary
of the landing at this spot of
Lieut Bowen, RN
on 13th September 1803,
was unveiled by His Excellency the Governor
Sir A. E. Havelock, G.C.S.I.,
22nd February 1904. — Map (db m81891) HM|
|Australia, Tasmania, Latrobe — Edwin Maw — 1858|
|The Lucas Platypus Experience is housed in a classified building on the register of the National Trust Estate. In 1858 George Atkinson built a licensed hotel “The Royal Charter Inn” on the present site. At the time he imported from Liverpool UK a prefabricated iron store as a warehouse.
Constructed of cast-iron columns, trusses, girts, window frames, it was clad with corrugated iron sheeting the walls and roof, the building stands on stone a foundation.
The columns have . . . — Map (db m70668) HM|
|Australia, Tasmania, Launceston — Launceston Gasworks|
|Lighting up Launceston
First established in 1858, the Launceston Gasworks charts the growth of the gas industry in Tasmania and the development of the city of Launceston itself.
The site was purchased in 1858 by the Launceston Gas Company with construction starting on the gasworks one year later. The primary purpose of the site was to supply gas to the township of Launceston for industrial engines and public lighting 30 years before electricity became available. At it’s peak, the . . . — Map (db m70667) HM|
|Australia, Victoria, Guildford — Guilford Honor Row — War Memorial|
|Guilford Honor Row List of Guilford veterans — Map (db m45802) HM|
|Australia, Victoria, Guildford — The Big Tree — 'River Red Gum' — Eucalyptus camaldulensis (fam Myrtaceae)Debnb|
| Guildford The Big Tree is thought to be one of the largest examples of the species in Victoria. It has been recorded as having a height of 30m, a canopy spread of 34m, and trunk circumference of 9.35m. Estimates of the age of the tree range between 500 - 100- years.|
It is listed as a tree of State significance on the National Trust Register of Significant Trees of Victoria for its
"outstanding size, curious fusion of branches, as an outstanding example of the species and as an . . . — Map (db m45968) HM
|Australia, Victoria, Melbourne — Pillar of Stone|
|This pillar of stone quarried from Stawell was placed here on the insistence of
The Hon. John Woods, M.P.
(born Liverpool England November 5th 1822, died Brighton Victoria April 2nd 1892; engineer, politician and inventor, commissioner International Exhibition 1880 and exhibition trustee 1881-1892) to express his indignation of the choice of New South Wales stone for Parliament House and to show the enduring qualities of local stone. — Map (db m70636) HM|
|Australia, Victoria, Mornington — In Memory of Fifteen Young Men|
|In memory of fifteen young men lost in the bay off Mornington on the night of Saturday 21st May, 1892, while returning from a football match at Mordialloc.
Allchin, Charles E. (20 yrs), Caldwell, James R. (21 yrs), Caldwell, William L. (19 yrs), Caldwell, Hugh (17yrs), Coles, William H. (23 yrs), Comber, John (31 yrs), Firth, James (17 yrs), Grover, William E. (25 yrs), Grover, William (17 yrs), Hooper, Charles (25 yrs), Hooper, Charles F. (14 yrs), Kenna, John (18 yrs), Lawrence, Alfred . . . — Map (db m81713) HM|
|Australia, Victoria, Moyhu — Hume and Hovell|
|Hume and Hovell passed nearby Nov. 26 and on return Dec. 30 - 1824. — Map (db m82085) HM|
|Australia, Victoria, Peterborough — Historic Shipwreck Trail|
| The Newfield
Three masted iron barque 1306 tons gross
Built Dundee Scotland 1889
Wrecked Newfield Bay 29 August 1892
The Newfield", with a crew of 26, left Sharpness, Scotland, on 28 May 1889, with a cargo of fine salt for Brisbane. Near midnight on 29 August, in squally weather, the Captain mistook the Cape Otway light for that of King Island, and headed the ship straight towards the coast.
The vessel struck rocks about 100 metres from shore. Nine men drowned . . . — Map (db m52642) HM|
|Australia, Victoria, Port Fairy — Captain John Griffiths — 1801-1881|
|In Memory of Captain John Griffiths 1801 - 1881 This island is named after him and he was responsible for bringing the first White settlers from Launceston, Tasmania to Portland Bay and Port Fairy Victoria.|
He established the first major whaling station at Portland in 1833 and later established a larger whaling station on this island, in 1836.
An entrepreneur, his activities included ship-builder, ship-owner, intercolonial trader, merchant, farmer, whaler, sailor, brewer, flour-miller, and landowner. — Map (db m52472) HM
|Australia, Victoria, Port Fairy — SS Casino|
This memorial was unveiled
July 8 1934 by Mrs. C.A. Melhuish
Captain Thomas Boyd
first master of the S.S. Casino.
Borough of Port Fairy
This commemorative plaque is to mark the 100th anniversary of the registration of the S.S. Casino as part of the Belfast and Koroit Steam Navigation Company and the 50th anniversary of the sinking of the S.S. Casino at Apollo Bay on 10th July, 1932. Unveiled by his Worship the Mayor . . . — Map (db m83435) HM|
|Australia, Victoria, Rosebud — Rosebud|
|The schooner “Rosebud" from which the town Rosebud gets its name was blown ashore on this site on 2nd June, 1855. Press reports of weather conditions on this date indicate strong westerly gales, with several boats in distress on Port Phillip Bay.
The "Rosebud" was built in Whitby in Yorkshire, England, in 1841 by boat builder Harry Barrick, and registered in the port of London in June 1842.
Technical Details. Two masted ship, square rigged forward and schooner rigged aft. One . . . — Map (db m81588) HM|
|Australia, Victoria, Sorrento — Collins Settlement 1803-04|
| The people of the Bunerong lived in the Mornington Peninsula region for many thousands of years.
On 9 October, 1803 HMS "Calcutta" under the command of Captain Daniel Woodriff entered Port Phillip Bay carrying David Collins the Lieutenant Governor to the proposed first officîal European settlement in Victoria. Collins was accompanied by 11 civil officers, 49 officers and men of the Royal Marines, 300 convicts with a total of 41 family members. A contingent of 54 free settlers . . . — Map (db m81596) HM|
|Australia, Victoria, Warrnambool — Aboriginal Soldiers|
|This memorial is dedicated to all Aboriginal men and women from South West Victoria who served their country proudly along with fellow Australians since World War 1. — Map (db m52646) HM|
|Australia, Victoria, Warrnambool — Warrnambool 150th Anniversary 1847-1997|
|This stone commemorating the Foundation of Warrnambool
Gazetted on 17 February 1847
was unveiled by
His Excellency The Honourable Richard E. McGarvie A,C.
Governor of Victoria
in the presence of His Worship the Mayor Cr Gerald Shanley — Map (db m52643) HM|
|Australia, Victoria, Wedderburn — Major Mitchell Explorer|
Passed Here 7th July 1836
Erected by Shire of Korong
1930 — Map (db m53080) HM|
|Australia, Victoria (Campaspe (Shire)), Echuca — The Only Classified Brothel in Victoria|
|This Establishment Built About 1878 Is The Only Classified Brothel in Victoria
The house consists of 3 small rooms on each floor, the upper rooms being reached by a staircase leading into a sheltered lane running off Little Hopwood street, making it possible for even the most respectable citizen to visit the scarlet ladies undetected.
After the nearby Murray Hotel was built in 1879, the Brothel was run in conjunction with the pub and became known for its ‘honky tonk’ dancing and . . . — Map (db m70630) HM|
|Australia, Victoria (Mount Alexander (shire)), Maldon — 1 — Maldon Athenaeum Library 1863|
|The Mechanics’ Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A “mechanic” was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics’ Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge” and provision for “rational recreation” in the community.
This plaque, No. 1 in the MIV series, was unveiled on 21 April 2003 . . . — Map (db m71068) HM|
|Australia, Victoria (Mount Alexander (Shire)), Maldon — Porcupine Flat Dredge|
|This bucket dredge was operated here by George Heywood, Eric Baumann and others, for about 30 years, until it was abandoned in 1984. It was one of the last dredges operated in Victoria.
It is a relatively small bucket dredge, but is one of few to have survived more or less intact. The crane nearby cleared trees in the dredge’s path.
Since the 1930s, electric power had allowed the construction of very large dredges, some employing up to 60 workers.
Dredging for gold dates back to the . . . — Map (db m70631) HM|