HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Search Results
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Rems-Murr-Kreis), Schorndorf — 3 — Birthplace of Gottlieb DaimlerGottlieb-Daimler-Geburtshaus
Marker text in German: Erbaut frühstens 1695 Stadtrundgang Station 3 Marker in English: Built as early as 1695 City tour stop 3 Map (db m77497) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Tübingen District), Bebenhausen — Abtshaus / Abbot's House
1339 unter Abt Konrad von Lustnau als Wohnung des Abtes errichtet, um 1510 erweitert und mit Fachwerkobergeschoß versehen. Holzbrücke als Verbindungsgang zum Dormitorium (um 1860 abgerissen). Ab 1807-11 Umbau als Jagdschloß für König Friedrich I. von Württemberg nach Plänen des Landbaumeisters Johann Adam Groß III. Die vorgelagerte Grünfläche als „Blumen-Gärtlein” mit geschlängelten Wegen und kleinen Rasenflächen mit Beeten, Sträuchern und Bäumen als bescheidener . . . — Map (db m77481) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Tübingen District), Bebenhausen — Abtsküche / Abbot's Kitchen
Anstelle der abgetragenen Krankenkapelle 1507 errichteter ebenerdiger Bau. 1885 durch Aufstockung dem Neuen Bau angepaßt und als Appartement für König Karl eingerichtet, später bis 1946 Wohnung von Königin Charlotte. 1915/17 Erdgeschoß durch Eugen Wörner zum Grünen Saal umgebaut. ———————— Instead of the ablated hospital chapel, erected in 1507 at ground level construction. 1885 adapted to the New Construction above and set up as an . . . — Map (db m77515) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Tübingen District), Bebenhausen — Gewürz- und Kräutergarten / Spice and Herb Garden
1987 in Anlehnung an klösterliche Heilkräutergärten des Mittelalters, die von den Mönchen bearbeitet wurden, mit Staudengewächsen, ein- und zweijährigen Pflanzen und Gehölzen angelegt, die in erster Linie zu Heilzwecken genutzt wurden und im 13./14. Jahrhundert bereits bekannt waren. Das Nebeneinander von Kräutern und Blumen spiegelt die Verwobenheit medizinisch-naturwissenschaftlicher, kultisch-magischer und ästhetischer Vorstellungen. Heilwert, Duft und Schönheit einer Pflanze waren . . . — Map (db m77522) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Tübingen District), Bebenhausen — Heuhaus / Hay Barn
Erbaut 1774 als Scheune und Stallung der Prälatur, später königlicher Marstall. ———————— Built in 1774 as a barn and stables of the Prelature, later royal stables. — Map (db m77514) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Tübingen District), Bebenhausen — King Wilhelm II and Queen CharlotteKönig Wilhelm II und Königin Charlotte
Zum gedenken an Württembergs geliebten König Wilhelm II Stuttgart 25·2·1848 - 2·10·1921 Bebenhausen und Königin Charlotte Raitboritz 10·10·1864 - 16·7·1946 Bebenhausen ———————— To commemorate Württemberg's beloved King Wilhelm II Stuttgart 2·25·1848 - 10·2·1921 Bebenhausen and Queen Charlotte Raitboritz 10·10·1864 - 7·16·1946 Bebenhausen — Map (db m77509) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Tübingen District), Bebenhausen — Klosterküche / Monastery Kitchen
Mehrfach veränderter, bis ins 13. Jahrhundert zurückreichender Bau. Von der großen Herdstelle nur noch der mächtige Rauchfang erhalten. ———————— Multiple modifications, reaching back to the 13th century building, from the large hearth to the powerful chimney. — Map (db m77538) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Tübingen District), Bebenhausen — Klostermühle / Monastery Mill
Untere mühle · erbaut 1447 aufgestockt 1780 · umbau zu e-werk 1900 unter König Wilhelm II · renoviert 1977 ————— 1978 Tübingen Stadtbild wettbewerb ———————— Lower mill · built in 1447 increased in 1780 · converted to e-factory in 1900 under King Wilhelm II · renovated in 1977 ————— 1978 Tübingen Cityscape competition — Map (db m77478) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Tübingen District), Bebenhausen — Neuer Bau / New Construction
Gäste- oder Herrenhaus zur Beherbergung hochrangiger Gäste 1532 unter Abt Johann von Fridingen erbaut (Bauinschrift) an der Stelle des alten Krankenhauses (Infirmarie, Erdgeschoß in den Neubau einbezogen). Im Untergeschoß großer Klosterkeller. 1868-70 Einrichtung von Privatgemächern für das württembergische Königspaar Karl und Olga. ———————— Guest or manor house for lodging distinguished guests built in 1532 under Abbot John of Fridingen . . . — Map (db m77513) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Tübingen District), Bebenhausen — Sommerrefektorium / Summer Refectory
Um 1335 unter Abt Konrad von Lustnau über romanischem Vorgängerbau als zweischiffiger Speisesaal der Mönche mit drei Achteckstützen und Sterngewölbe erbaut. 1410 Dachreiter auf dem Südgiebel als Glockentürmchen. Raumfassung mit Glasfenstern, Gewölbemalereien, Vertäfelung und Fliesenboden im 19. Jahrhundert in Anlehnung an vorhandene Reste erneuert. ———————— Built around 1335 under Abbot Conrad of Lustnau on a two-aisled Romanesque . . . — Map (db m77517) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Tuttlingen District), Frittlingen — Frittlingen797 - 1997
1200 Jahre ———————— 1200 Years — Map (db m77730) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Tuttlingen District), Frittlingen — World War I Memorial
Den tapferen Helden vom Weltkrieg 1914 - 1918 gewidmet von der dankbaren Gemeinde 1921. Bernhard Anger 38 J.a. verh. • Paul Anger 23 J.a. • Stephan Baier 21 J.a. • Johannes Bantle 27 J.a. • Otto Bantle 21 J.a. • Anton Braun, Lehrer 26 J.a. • Hermann Braun 38 J.a. verh. • Pius Braun 21 J.a. • Karl Effinegr 21 J.a. • Aloys Faulhaber 25 J.a. • George Faulhaber 21 J.a. • Josef Faulhaber 21 J.a. • Josef Faulhaber, Schreiner, 23 J.a. • Franz Geiger 22 J.a. • Hermann Häring 24 J.a. • . . . — Map (db m77726) WM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Tuttlingen District), Frittlingen — World Wars Memorial
Getreu bis in den Tod. Für unsere Gefallenen Sohne Weltkrieg 1914 - 1918 Gefallene [nicht transkribieren] Für uns 1939 - 1945 Gefallene [nicht transkribieren] Vermisste [nicht transkribieren] ———————————————— Faithful unto death. For our fallen sons World War 1914 - 1918 Fallen [Not transcribed] For Us 1939 - 1945 Fallen [Not . . . — Map (db m77731) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — Bamberg's World War II Fallen and MissingBamberg Gedenktafel Tote des 2. Weltkriegs
[Marker text in German:] Im Weltkrieg 1939-1945 fielen aus der Stadt Bamberg 1992 getreue deutsche Soldaten an den Fronten Europas u. Afrikas. Durch Bombenangriff gaben ihr Leben für die Heimat 242 Männer, Frauen, und Kinder. Vermisst blieben 1642 Brüder und Schwestern. Wir gedenken ihrer in unauslösbarer Dankbarkeit. [Marker text translated into English, more or less:] In World War II, 1939-1945, from the city of Bamberg fell 1,942 faithful German soldiers at the fronts of . . . — Map (db m57829) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — The Old Main WatchEhem. Hauptwache
[Marker text in German:] 1774 unter Fürstbischof Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim nach Plänen von J.E. Roppelt erbaut militärische Embleme von Johann Bernhard Kamm Repräsentationsgebäude der fürstbischöfliche Infantrie [Marker text translated into English, more or less:] Constructed in 1774 under Prince Bishop Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim according to the plans by J.H. Roppelt. Military emblems by Johann Bernhard Kamm. A representational building of the Prince . . . — Map (db m58812) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — The Old TollhouseAlte Mauth
[Marker text in German:] Hier stand die Alte Mauth Zerstört durch Kriegseinwirkung 1944 - 1945 [Marker text translated into English:] Here stood the Old Tollhouse. Destroyed by the effects of war, 1944-1945. — Map (db m58411) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — "Lueg ins Land" Watchtower
Hier stand der Wachtthurm Lueg-ins Land, ob seiner Fernsicht so genannt. Erbaut vor 1374 Abgebrochen 1802. Translated, the marker reads: Here stood the watchtower "Look to the Land" so-called on account of its clear view Built before 1374 torn down in 1802. — Map (db m22539) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — Cathedral Church of Our LadyUnserer Lieben Frau Dom und Pfarrkirche
Unserer Lieben Frau Dom und Pfarrkirche erbaut von Jörg Ganghofer 1468 – 1488 German – English translation Our Lady Cathedral and Parish Church built by Jörg Ganghofer 1468 - 1488 — Map (db m68750) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — Dachau Bomb Disposal Unit
Zum Gedenken an das Bombensuchkommando des KZ Dachau, das in der Zeit vom Juli 1944 bis April 1945 hier untergebracht war. Die SS zwang die Häftlinge unter Einsatz ihres Lebens, Bomben in München zu bergen und zu entschärfen. Zahllose Gefangene fanden dabei den Tod. Ihr Opfer ist uns Mahnung und Verpflichtung. Landeshauptstadt München, Verein „zum Beispiel Dachau” Translated, the marker reads: In commemoration of the Dachau concentration camp bomb disposal unit, which was . . . — Map (db m22415) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — Franz Marc
Hier wurde am 8.Februar 1880 der Maler Franz Marc geb. Gest. am 4.1.1916 bei Verdun. Er war mitbegründer der Künstlervereinigung „Der Blaue Reiter“. Translated, the marker reads: The painter Franz Marc was born here on February 8, 1880. Died at Verdun on March 4, 1916. He was the co-founder of the 'Blue Rider' art circle. — Map (db m22360) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — Franz Marc
Der grösste Bayerische maler des 20. jahrhunderts. Der begründer des "Blauen reiters" hat in diesem hause von 1892-1895 gelebt ———————— The greatest Bavarian painter of the 20th century. The founder of the "Blue Rider" lived in this house from 1892-1985 — Map (db m77475) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — Georg Lankensperger
[Marker text in German]: Hier stand das Haus des Kgl. Bayr. Hofwagners Georg Lankensperger *1779 • † 1847 der 1816 die Achsschenkellenkung erfand Für Gespannwagen erdacht, ist diese Lenkungsart von entscheidender Bedeutung fr den Bau aller heutigen Vierradkraftzeuge geworden Gestiftet vom der Audi NSU Auto Union AG [Marker text translated into English, more or less]: Here stood the house of the Royal Bavarian Wagonmaster, Georg Lankensperger, who in 1816 . . . — Map (db m57723) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — Gottfried Keller
Hier wohnte 1840 der schweizer Dichter Gottfried Keller Translated, the marker reads: In 1840 the Swiss poet Gottfried Keller lived here. — Map (db m22081) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — Maximilian Joseph - Earl of MontgelasMaximilian Joseph - Graf von Montgelas — 1759-1838
[Marker text in German:] Von 1799 bis 1816 lenkte Maximilian Joseph Graf von Montgelas als Minister die Geschicke Bayerns. Nach den Grundsätzen der Aufklärung formte er durch umwälzende Reformen das moderne Bayerische Staatswesen. Die Skulptur wurde 2005 von Karin Sender nach überlieferten Abbildern digital errechnet und computergesteuert aus Aluminium gefräst. [Marker text translated into English, more or less:] As minister from 1799 to 1816, . . . — Map (db m58660) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — Miesbach to Munich Power Transmission
Im Oktober 1882 wurde hier anlässlich der internationalen Elektrizitätsaustellung von Miesbach nach München erstmals in der Welt eine Kraftűbertragung mit hoch gespannten Strőmen durchgefuhrt. Die Schőpfer des Werkes Oskar von Miller und Marcel Deprez bahnten da mit den Weg zur Ausnűtzung entlegener Energiequellen. Der Verband Deutscher Elektrotechniker im September 1952. Leitung Telegraphendraht 2x57 km. Spannung 1350 bis 2000 Volt Gleichstrom. Translated, the . . . — Map (db m22477) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — The Church of Saint MichaelSankt Michael
Sankt Michael Erbaut 1583 – 1597 im Auftrag Herzog Wilhelm V. von Friedrich Sustris German – English translation: The Church of Saint Michael Built 1583-1597 by Friedrich Sustris on behalf of Duke Wilhelm V. — Map (db m68740) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — The Expansion of the Church of Our Lady Lane
Durch hochherzige Spenden seiner königlichen hoheit des Prinzregenten Luitpold von Bayern, des Domkapitels zu Unserer Lieben Frau und opferwilliger Münchener Bürger wurde es ermöglicht, im Jahre 1888 das enge Liebefrauengässchen zu dieser Strasse zu erweitern und sogleich die hiesige Domfreiheit zu schaffen. Translated, the marker reads: Through the generous donations of His Royal Highness, Luitpold, the Prince Regent of Bavaria, the Ecclesiastical Chapter of the Church of Our . . . — Map (db m22603) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — The Wilhelminische or Old Academy BuildingDas Wilhelminische oder Alte Akademie Gebäude
This marker is composed of two main panels. Additionally, there is a small historical building marker nearby. (panel 1) Das Wilhelminische oder Alte Akademie-Gebäude Den ältesten an die St. Michaelskirche stossenden Teil dieses heute die Alte Akademie genannten Gebäudes erbaute Herzog Albrecht v. als Jesuitengymnasium 1574 - 76. Im N. und W. anschliessend errichtete Herzog Wilhem v. 1585-98 ein Jesuitencollegium. Gteichzeitig 1583 - 97 ist auch die Michaelskirche erbaut. . . . — Map (db m68752) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Nuremberg — Johann Neudörfer
[Marker text in German:] Hier stand bis zum Jahre 1945 das Wohnhaus des Schreib- und Rechnenmeisters Johann Neudörfer Geb. 1497, Gest. 1563 [Marker text translated into English:] Here until 1945 stood the residence of the writing- and computational-master, Johann Neudoerfer. Born 1497, died 1563. — Map (db m58442) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Nuremberg — Johann Phillip Palm
[Marker text in German:] Hier stand das Wohn- und Geschäftshaus des Buchhandlers Joh. Phillip Palm * 18.12.1766 † 26.07.1806 [Marker text translated into English:] Here stood the home and business of Johann Phillip Palm, bookseller. Born December 18, 1766 Died July 26, 1806 — Map (db m57910) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Nuremberg — Leopold Einstein
[Marker text in German:] Hier wohnte Leopold Einstein Geb. 1833 — Gest. 1890 Nürnberger Pionier der Internationalen Sprache Esperanto [Marker text translated into English:] Here lived Leopold Einstein, born 1833 and died 1890, Nuremberg pioneer of the international language of Esperanto. — Map (db m58002) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Nuremberg — Schürstab MansionSchürstabhaus - Mittelaltlicher Geschlechtersitz
[Marker text in German:] Bis 1328 Unholder Ministeriale 1328-1478 Schürstab Patrizierfamilie 1406 Prägende Baugestaltung durch Erhart d ä Schürstab 1482 Carl Schwerzer baulich Prägung und Einbau der Hauskapelle 1508-1518 Anton Tetzel Losunger 1645-1791 Fetzer Ratskonsulenten 1943 Zerstörung des Daches 1997 Wiederaufbau u. Restaurierung [Marker text translated into English, more or less:] Until 1328 owners as "Unholder Ministeriale" 1328-1478 owned . . . — Map (db m58731) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Old CranesAlter Kranen
In den Jahren 1767-1773 errichtete Fürstbischof Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim ein Hebewerk am Mainufer, das unter dem Namen “Alter Kranen” bekannt ist. Dieser Kran diente den Binnenschiffern bis 1846 zum entladen ihrer Schiffe. Der ausführende Architekt war Franz Ignaz Neumann, der Sohn des berühmten Barockmeisters Balthasar Neumann. Franz Ignaz Neumann hat mit diesem Bauwerk eine noch heute in der Fachwelt bestaunte Anlage geschaffen. Translated, the marker reads: In the . . . — Map (db m22687) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — The Lower Main Mill
Hier stand erbaut von Fürstbischof Iohann Philipp von Schönborn die Untere Mainmühle 1644-1921. An ihrer Stelle wurde in den Jahren 1921-1923 dieser Bau errichtet als erstes Kraftwerk der Grosschiffahrtstrasse Rhein-Main-Donau. Translated, the marker reads: From 1644-1921 here stood the Lower Main Mill, built by Prince-bishop Johann Philipp von Schoenborn. In its place this building was built in the years 1921-1923 as the first power plant of the Greater Rhine-Main-Danube Navigational Route. — Map (db m22827) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Ansbach District), Rothenburg ob der Tauber — Altes Rathaus / Old Town Hall
um 1250 event. erste Bauphase Erweiterung Ende des 14. Jahrh. (Kaisersaal) 1501 großer Brand 1551-1558 Wiederaufbau und Instandsetzung einschl. Turm (48m) in der heute vorhandenen Form ———————— First building phase begun in 1250 Expansion (Emperor's Hall), at end of the 14th century. 1501 Great Fire 1551-1558 Rebuilding and repair, including the tower (48m) in its present day form — Map (db m77606) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Ansbach District), Rothenburg ob der Tauber — Büttelhaus / Bailiff's House
Um 1250 Wahrscheinlich Erstanlage enge Verbindung mit älterem Markusturm Gefängniszellen in Haus und Turm 1510 Neubau 1945 Zerstört, Wiederaufbau 1959 Ab 1960 Stadtarchiv ———————— Initially built around 1250 Probably close relationship with older Markus Tower Prison cells in House and Tower 1510 New construction 1945 Destroyed, reconstruction 1959 From 1960 City Archives — Map (db m77620) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Ansbach District), Rothenburg ob der Tauber — Granary/Jewish CemeterySchrannenplatz/Judenkirchhof — (ca 1339 - 1520)
Der „Judenkirchhof” war der Bestattungsplatz der jüdischen Einwohner und lag ursprünglich außerhalb der ersten Stadtmauer. Bereits seit 1339 bezeichnete man den Platz als „coemeterium Judaeorum” (Begräbnisplatz der Juden). In der Nähe wurde 1406/07 eine neue Synagoge gebaut. Die judenfeindliche Hetze des Predigers Johann Teuschlein brachte den Stadtrat 1519 dazu, die Juden aus Rothenburg zu vertreiben. Daraufhin plünderte die Bevölkerung die Synagoge. Sie wurde in . . . — Map (db m77690) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Ansbach District), Rothenburg ob der Tauber — Jews's Alley and Jewish QuarterJudengasse und jüdisches Viertel — (ca. 1371 - 1520)
Im letzten Drittel des. 14. Jahrhunderts siedelten sich jüdische Einwohner auf dem Gebiet unmittelbar außerhalb der früheren Stadtmauer an. Der Name „Judengasse” ist seit 1377 belegt. Sowohl jüdische als auch christliche Mieter wohnten in den Häusern. Das Haus Judengasse 10 enthält eine Mikwe (jüdisches Ritualbad, Rekonstruktion im Reichsstadtmuseum). In der Gasse befanden sich eine koschere Schlachterei und eine jüdische Schule. Nach der Vertreibung der Juden im Jahr 1520 . . . — Map (db m77705) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Ansbach District), Rothenburg ob der Tauber — Rabbi Meir ben Baruch von Rothenburg
Rabbi Meir ben Baruch von Rothenburg einem der bedeutendsten Talmudgelehrten zum gedenken Geboren um 1220 in Worms, lebte und wirkte er von etwa 1250 bis 1286 in der Synagoge und in der Talmudschule, die auf diesem Platze standen, dem ersten Judenviertel Rothenburgs. Er starb 1293 in Ensisheim und wurde 1307 in Worms begraben. Synagoge und Talmudschule wurden 1404 in eine Marienkapelle und in ein Seelhaus ungewandelt. Die Marienkapelle wurde 1805 abgebrochen. . . . — Map (db m77624) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Ansbach District), Rothenburg ob der Tauber — Schrannenscheune / Grain Storage Barn
Bauzeit: 1586 - 1588 Sanierung 1988/91 ———————— Constructed 1586 - 1588 Restored 1988 - 1991 — Map (db m77701) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Ansbach District), Rothenburg ob der Tauber — St. Jakob's Church World War I Memorial
Im kampf fürs Vaterland starben: Karl Wägerlein - Maurer u. Steinhauer in Frankreich am 2. Jan. 1915 Georg Lindner - Steinmetzpalier in Rumänien am 9. Nov. 1917 David Neumeister - Maurer in Frankreich am 14. Okt. 1918 Ehre ihrem Andenken ———————— In the fight for the fatherland died: Karl Wägerlein - Mason and Stonecutter in France on January 2, 1915 Georg Lindner - Mason in Romania on November 9, . . . — Map (db m77712) WM
Germany, Bavaria (Kreis Kitzingen), Dettelbach — Dettelbach City HallDettelbach Rathaus
Erbaut nach der Stadterhebung 1484, vollendet 1512. Spätgotischer Bau auf zwei sich kreuzenden Gewölben. Doppelzügige Treppe m. Verkündhalle und Erkerchörlein. Marker text translated into English: Construction started after Dettlebach was elevated to city status in 1484, and completed in 1512. Late Gothic construction upon two intersecting vaults. Bi-directional stairway with "pulpit" and small "choir bay". — Map (db m77835) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Kreis Kitzingen), Dettelbach — Dettelbach SynagogueDettelbach Synagoge
In German: An dieser Stelle stand 1862 die erbaute Synagoge der jüdischen Kultusgmeinde Dettelbach. Nach 1938 wurde das Gebäude als Volksschule benutzt. English translation: On this site stood the synagogue of the Jewish community of Dettelbach, built in 1862. After 1938 the building was used as a grade school. — Map (db m77434) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Kreis Kitzingen), Dettelbach — The Bacchus InnGasthaus zum Bacchus
Erbaut 1569 erstmals schriftlich erwähnt Anno 1591 als "Wirtshaus am Bach" mit eigener Brauerei Schönes Fachwerk der Renaissance Marker text translated into English: Built 1569. First written mention in 1591 as the "Inn at the Stream", with its own brewery. A good example of Renaissance half-timber style construction. — Map (db m77822) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Kreis Kitzingen), Mainstockheim — Mainstockheim SynagogueMainstockheim Synagoge
Text in German:: Dieses Gebäude, erbaut 1836, diente der jüdischen Kultusgemeinde als Synagoge. Die Gemeinde gedenkt ihrer ehemaligen jüdischen Mitbürger. Zur Erinnerung und Mahnung! English translation: This building, constructed in 1836, served the Jewish community as a synagogue. The municipality commemorates its former Jewish citizens. Commemorate and Remember! — Map (db m77436) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Kreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — Barocke KreuzigungsgruppeBaroque Crucifixion Sculpture
Errichtet 1740 vom Bierbrauer-Ehepaar Johann Georg und Maria Barbara Stephan zur Erinnerung an drei ihrer 13 Kinder, die bereits im Kindesalter starben. Bei der Kirchenerweiterung um 1900 entfernt, 1985 wieder errichtet und 2008 renoviert durch Altbürgermeister Franz Stephan und Ehefrau Hildegard zum Gedenken an ihre Vorfahren. Geschichte für alle - historischer Verein in Gerolzhofen, e.V. Dr. Ottmar Wolf – Kulturstiftung Marker text translated into English: Erected . . . — Map (db m77628) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Kreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — Catholic RectoryKatholisches Pfarrhaus
Stadtvogt Johann Barthel Stang erbaute 1708 dieses repräsentative Bürgerhaus. Um 1750 kaufte die Bierbrauerei-Familie Stephan das Anwesen und eröffnete die Brauereigaststätte "Zur Krone". Die Katholische Pfarrei Gerolzhofen übernahm anno 1810 das Haus und machte es zum Pfarrhaus. Im Hof im Bereich der damaligen Brauerei steht heute das Pfarrzentrum "Pfarrer-Hersam-Haus". Geschichte für alle - historischer Verein in Gerolzhofen, e.V. Dr. Ottmar Wolf – Kulturstiftung Marker text . . . — Map (db m77710) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Kreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — Ehemaliges AmtshausThe Former Adminstrative Building
1580 wurde unter Fürstbischof Julius Echter dieser repräsentative Steinbau errichtet als Sitz der bischöflichen Verwaltung des Amtes Gerolzhofen. Neben den Bürostuben gab es im 2. Stockwerk auch Privatgemächer und eine kleine Kapelle, die der Bischof bei seinen Besuchen in der Stadt bewohnte. Im 20. Jahrhundert dann Nutzung als Landratsamt, heute Sitz der Verwaltungsgemeinschaft. Geschichte für alle historischer Verein in Gerolzhofen, e.V. Dr. Ottmar Wolf - Kulturstiftung . . . — Map (db m77599) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Kreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — Owl's TowerEulenturm
Zunächst nur dreiseitig gemauerter Scbalenturm mit Bretterverschlag erbaut um 1350. Genutzt als Auslug und Kerker der benachbarten Vogtei. Der ursprüngliche Name war Feulturm (Faulturm), letztmalig 1830 als Gefängnis genutzt, dann Vereinsheim. Geschichte für alle - historischer Verein in Gerolzhofen, e.V. Dr. Ottmar Wolf – Kulturstiftung English translation: Initially, this was only three sided brick shell tower with wooden shed, built around 1350. Used as a lookout . . . — Map (db m77658) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Kreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — Prison TowerWeißer Turm
Der Auslug und Gefängnisturm (Weiße = Strafe) wurde um 1350 an der Ostseite der Stadtmauer errichtet und um 1550 um das vorkragende Obergeschoss erhöht. In 1803 wird das rund 20 Meter hohe Bauwerk letztmals als Kerker benutzt. Geschichte für alle historischer Verein in Gerolzhofen, e.V. Dr. Ottmar Wolf - Kulturstiftung Marker text translated into English: This lookout tower and prison (Weiße = punishment) was built around 1350 on the east side of the city walls, . . . — Map (db m77793) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Kreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — The Watchmen's TowerTürmersturm
Hier stand der Türmersturm als inneres Tor der nördlichen Doppel-Toranlage. Das Tor wurde 1340 erstmals erwähnt, 1511 unter Bischof Lorenz von Bibra wurde das Tor zu einem Turm erhöht. Wohnort des Gerolzhöfer Turmers. Im Februar 1878 abgebrochen. Geschichte für alle historischer Verein in Gerolzhofen, e.V. Dr. Ottmar Wolf - Kulturstiftung Marker text translated into English: Here stood the watchman's tower as the inner gate of the northern double-gated entryway. The gate . . . — Map (db m77751) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Kreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — Wilhelmina Schleiss
Hier wurde Wilhelmina Schleiss +18.08.1903 z. Bischw. von Verbrecherhand in der Nacht vom 22-23.2.25 ermord. Marker text translated into English: Wilhelmina Schleiss, born August 18, 1903 in Bischwind, was criminally murdered here on the night of the 22nd-23rd of February, 1925. — Map (db m77656) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Kitzingen), Iphofen — Einersheimer GateEinersheimer Tor
[Marker text in German:] 1422 erste Erwähnung 1525 Abwehr eines Bauernhaufens 1551 Ausbau zu einer massiven Wehranlage mit Verbindung des äusseren und inneren Tores durch den Steinmetz Caspar Rotenfelser. Steinkreuz im Innern zur Erinnerung an einen von den Schweden im 30-jährigen Krieg erstochenen Iphöfer. [Marker text translated into English, more or less:] 1422 First mention 1525 Defense during the peasant uprising 1551 Expanded to a massive fortification . . . — Map (db m58206) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Kitzingen), Iphofen — Ilmbacher Hof
[Marker text in German: Aus einer alten Chronik: „Der nachmalige Kloster Ilmbachische Hof war sonst ein Bürgerhaus mit einer öden Hofstadt dabei. Das Kloster kaufte beides und ließ 1742 ein grösseres Gebaüde da aufführen und kaufte mehrere Weinberge und Felder dazu". Seit der Sakularisation in Privatbesitz. [Marker text translated into English, more or less:} From an old chronicle: "Formerly a house with an abandoned outbuilding. The Ilmbach Monastery purchased both . . . — Map (db m58160) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Kitzingen), Iphofen — Iphofen City HallRathaus Iphofens
[Marker text in German:] Rathaus 1716-1718 erbaut von dem Würzburger Hofbaumeister Josef Greising. Unter der doppelläufigen Freitreppe Eingang zum Rathauskeller und zwei vergitterte Schandhäuschen anstelle eines Prangers. Über dem Portal das fürstbischöfliche und das städtische Wappen. Im Innern Kündhalle, Ratsaal, Stadtarchiv und Kulturhistorische Sammlung. [Marker text translated into English, more or less:] City Hall Built 1716-18 by the Würzburg court . . . — Map (db m57924) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Kitzingen), Iphofen — Mainbernheimer GateMainbernheimer Tor
[Marker text in German:] Erste Erwähnung 1422. Wehrhafte Doppeltoranlage mit Torwächterhaus, Vorwerk und Haupttor. [Marker text translated into English, more or less:] First mentioned in 1422. Fortified double-gate structure with gatekeeper's house, forward works, and main gate. — Map (db m58374) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Kitzingen), Iphofen — The Owls' TowerEulenturm
[Marker text in German:] Bauzeit um 1500. Gefängnisturm für lebenlänglich Verurteilte, auch „Faulturm” genannt, weil die eingekerkerten nach ihrem Ableben nicht selten darin verfaulten. Zudem Pulverturm der Stadt und Wachturm: „So der türmer ein gerenn im Felde und sonst was feindschaft betrifft ersieht, soll er in die drummelte sto ßen und dies anzeigen”. [Marker text translated into English, more or less:] Built around 1500. A prison tower for those . . . — Map (db m58307) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — Dingolshäuser GateDingolshäuser Tor
[Marker text in German:] An dieser Stelle stand das Ost-Tor der äusseren Stadtmauer, das sogenannten Dingolshäuser Tor. Um 1470 unter Bischof Rudolf von Scherenberg errichtet. 1670 nach den Schwedenkrieg erneuert. 1882 wurde das Torhaus für den Bau einer breiteren Strasse abgebrochen. Geschichte für alle historischer Verein in Gerolzhofen, e.V. Dr. Ottmar Wolf - Kulturstiftung [Marker text translated into English, more or less:] At this location stood the East Gate . . . — Map (db m57950) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — Spital GateSpitaltor
[Marker text in German:] Das Torhaus mit einer Rundbogen Durchfahrt und einem seitlich in den inneren Stadtgraben vorspringenden Flankiersturm wurde von Bischof Rudolf von Scherenberg um 1472 als Verstärkung des inneren Tors gebaut. Von Bischof Julius Echter 1597 erweitert, fiel es 1871 der Spitzhacke zum Opfer. Geschichte für alle - historischer Verein in Gerolzhofen, e.V. Dr. Ottmar Wolf – Kulturstiftung [Marker text translated into English, more or less:] . . . — Map (db m57951) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — The Beadle’s TowerBettelturm
[Marker text in German:] Hier stand der innere Torturm der südlichen Doppeltor-Anlage, im Volksmund Bettelturm genannt(Büttel = Gerechtsknecht). Erstmals 1340 erwähnt, wurde der Turm schon im 1756 wegen Steinfraß und morschem Fundament wieder abgebrochen. Geschichte für alle - historischer Verein in Gerolzhofen, e.V. Dr. Ottmar Wolf – Kulturstiftung [Marker text translated into English, more or less:] Here stood the inner gate tower, part of the double-tower . . . — Map (db m57956) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — The Decline of the Jewish Community of Gerolzhofen from January 30, 1933Niedergang der Jüdische Gemeinde Gerolzhofen ab 30. Januar 1933
[Marker text in German:] Urkundlich nachweisbar genehmigte im Jahr 1425 Fürstbischof Johann II v. Brunn die Ansässigmachung von Juden in Gerolzhofen. Viele jüdische Mitbürger engagierten sich im öffentlichen Leben und genossen Vertrauen und Anerkennung bei Ihren Mitbürgern. Nach ca. 500 Jahren horte die jüdische Gemeinde von Gerolzhofen auf zu existieren. [Marker text translated into English, more or less:] The first known mention of the presence of Jews in Gerolzhofen is . . . — Map (db m58963) HM
Germany, Berlin — Baudenkmal Berliner Mauer[Berlin Wall Monument]
German Text: … English Text: The Berlin Wall became an international symbol of the division of Germany after the Second World War and also of the Cold War between East and West. The construction of the Berlin Wall began on August 13, 1961. The government of the German Democratic Republic (GDR) built this more than 150-km-long barrier to hermetically seal off East Berlin and the rest of the GDR. More than 2.7 million people had fled the GDR between October 1949 and . . . — Map (db m57785) HM
Germany, Berlin — Charlottenburg PalaceSchloß Charlottenburg
Text in German... Text in English: The baroque Lietzenburg palace completed in 1699 was built by Arnold Nehring as a summer residence for Sophie Charlotte, the wife of Elector Friedrich III. After her death in 1705, the palace was renamed Charlottenburg in her honor. When the elector became first Prussian king in 1701 (as Friedrich I), he had the palace enlarged and ordered the construction of a representative three-wing structure. George Wenzeslaus von Knobelsdorff, one of . . . — Map (db m56273) HM
Germany, Berlin — Checkpoint Charlie Site
[Panel 1:] During the time Germany and Berlin were divided by THE WALL, the sign which symbolizes world history was standing here: The victorious powers of World War II and the two Germanies confronted each other here, and the Western powers defended the fundamental rights of the special Berlin-Status until the confrontation between USA/USSR tanks. This sign is a copy. The original sign still exists and can be seen in the Haus am Checkpoint Charlie – 40 meters from here. . . . — Map (db m56213) HM
Germany, Berlin — Pariser Platz
[English text] Pariser Plaz (Paris Square) is one of Berlin’s most distinctive squares and occupies a unique place within the groundplan of the city. Its planning is attributed to Philipp Gerlach (1697-1738), the architect commissioned by Frederick William I to extend the city’s development westward, which had begun in 1688. In 1732, at the request of the “Soldier King”, Gerlach extended Friedrichstrasse to intersect with Lindenstrasse, where he laid out a circus (now . . . — Map (db m56361) HM
Germany, Berlin — Soviet War MemorialTiergarten
Вечный славу героев, которые входят в борьбе против немецко -фашистских . . . — Map (db m57182) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Allstedt — Castle & Chateau AllstedtBurg & Schloss Allstedt
The impressive facility was built primarily in the period from the 15th-18th centuries. It was built instead of the former imperial palace Allstedt that nearly all early German rulers used as a temporary residence and governmental center from 935-1200. The significant main castle was extensively renovated in 1975 and expanded as a museum. In addition to exhibitions on the work of Thomas Müntzer and Johann Wolfgang von Goethe in Allstedt, there is cast Harz iron art and historically designed . . . — Map (db m73041) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Allstedt — Castle and Chateau AllstedtBurg und Schloss Allstedt
The Romanesque Road is one of the most popular touristic routes in Germany. It is in the shape of a figure Eight and runs through all of Saxony-Anhalt with Magdeburg being the place where the two halves meet. 65 stations with 80 buildings in the typical round-arch architecture of the Romanesque period are waiting to be admired. Castle and Palace Allstedt As a Frankish imperial castle founded in the 8th century it was one of the most frequented palaces in Saxony during the reign . . . — Map (db m73776) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Allstedt — Castle Fountains / Burgbrunnen
In the literature on Allstedt, so far the only mention of a well located in the main castle comes from a speech at the end of the 18th century by Duke Carl August. In 1980/81 this well was discovered in the northwest portion of the patio and then exposed. An inspection by cavers found that the well shaft is unlikely to have ever had a continuous inflow of water. A fountain is already attested in 1504/05. But as incoming water was bad [intermittent?], by the early 16th century a . . . — Map (db m73078) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Allstedt — North Wing / Ground FloorNordflügel / Erdgeschoß
The outer walls of the trench and the courtyard are probably from the 15th century, likewise is the pointed arch doorway. The oldest part is a tower-like building in the northeast corner. It is completely covered today and the only visible remnants are in the basement and ground floor (13th-14th centuries). The medieval structural fabric remains to the height of the upper floor. Cellar fixtures date from the mid-16th century, as the stonemasons' marks at the door of the cellar . . . — Map (db m73057) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Lutherstadt Eisleben — Altes Gymnasium
1563-1564 erbaut als „Fürnehme Lateinschule” auf Grund des „Luthervertrags” (1546), neu errichtet 1604 (nach Zerstörung bei Stadtbrand 1601). Hier wirkte der geistliche Liederdichter Martin Rinckart 1610/11. 1883 Umzug des Königlich-Preußischen Gymnasiums in das neue Schulgebäude am Schloßplatz. —————————— Built 1563-1564 as "Fürnehme Latin School" due to the "Luther Contract" (1546), rebuilt in 1604 (after . . . — Map (db m70314) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Lutherstadt Eisleben — City Seat of the Counts of Mansfeld-HinterortStadtsitz der Grafen von Mansfeld-Hinterort
Built in 1500 by Count Albrecht IV, 1570-1616 seat of the Superintendent Office and the Office of the Upper Eisleben, in 1609 abandoned as City Palace, from 1671 to 1992 the seat of important administrative institutions of the Mansfeld mining and smelting industry (Markt 56-58) —————————— 1500 unter Graf Albrecht IV. erbaut, 1570-1616 Sitz des Oberaufseheramtes und des Oberamtes Eisleben, 1609 als Stadtschloß aufgegeben, 1671 . . . — Map (db m70242) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Lutherstadt Eisleben — Markt 54 Birthplace of Alwin SörgelMarkt 54 Geburtshaus von Alwin Sörgel
Spokesman for the Democrats 1848/1849 and co-founder of cooperative banking • 26 May 1815 Alwin Sörgel was the son of merchant Ernst August Sörgel. He immigrated to Texas in 1845, but returned after two years and took over his father's business in Eisleben. • 1848 In the wake of the German Revolution in 1848/49 he was the spokesman of the Eislebener Democrats and co-founder of the Liberal People's Association. As editor of the "People's sheet for the county of Mansfeld," . . . — Map (db m70244) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Lutherstadt Eisleben — Martin Luther
[East Panel - An angel crushes Satan with the Shield of Truth - note the Luther Rose] [South Panel - Luther translates the Bible] [West Panel - Luther and his family sign hymns] [North Panel - The Leipzig Disputation between Luther and Johann Eck] [Dedicated 11 November 1883] — Map (db m70215) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Lutherstadt Eisleben — Martin Luther Birthplace
In diesem hause wurde geboren Dr. M. Luther den 10. November 1483. ———————— In this house was born Dr. M. Luther on 10 November 1483. — Map (db m70146) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Lutherstadt Eisleben — Martin Luther Death House
In diesem hause starb Dr. M. Luther den 18. Februar 1546. —————————— In this home, Dr. Martin Luther died on February 18, 1546. — Map (db m70220) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Lutherstadt Eisleben — Martin Luther Quotes
"For Christ commands us to be baptized and to believe in him. Even if we can believe so strongly not know, as we probably should, but God has patience with us." (WA 51, 195, 17f) "There is no poorer, lower, despised student on earth as God. It must be all the disciples. Everyone wants to be his schoolmasters and teachers." (WA 51, ​​188, 10f.) "For there should be true the Christian life because of the faith and friends truly bliss. But little of the sin that will . . . — Map (db m70315) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Lutherstadt Eisleben — Martin Luther's Baptism1513 - 1913
In der Turmkapelle dieser Kirche wurde D. Martin Luther am Martinstage 1483 getauft —————————— In the tower chapel of this church D. Martin Luther was baptized on St. Martin's Day 1483 — Map (db m70179) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Lutherstadt Eisleben — Model of the Former City Palace of the Counts of MansfeldModell des ehemaligen Stadtschlosses der Grafen von Mansfeld
1065 Royal palace and royal property. 1081 to 1083 Residence of Count Hermann of Salm-Luxembourg (the "Garlic King"). Mentioned in documents in the 14th century as a moated castle. 1346 The castle was acquired by the Counts of Mansfeld. This they rebuilt in line with Renaissance style as the Counts' City Seat until the 16th century. 1601 Most of the castle was destroyed in the great fire. 1881 Few remnants remain, as the masonry (stone) was used for the . . . — Map (db m76941) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Lutherstadt Eisleben — Residence of Richard WagnerAufenthalt von Richard Wagner
In this home, Richard Wagner stayed with his step-uncle, Master Goldsmith Carl Geyer, from 19 September 1822 for some time. —————————— In diesem Hause hielt sich Richard Wagner ab 19. September 1822 bei seinem Stiefonkel Goldschmiedemeister Carl Geyer eine Zeitlang auf. — Map (db m70213) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Lutherstadt Eisleben — Residence of Richard WagnerAufenthalt von Richard Wagner
In this house there was the goldsmith's workshop by Carl Geyer, the step-uncle of Richard Wagner, in which the great German composer stayed from early October 1821 until September 1822. —————————— In diesem Haus befand sich die Goldschmiedewerkstatt von Carl Geyer, dem Stiefonkel Richard Wagners, bei dem sich der groß deutsche Komponist von Anfang Oktober 1821 bis September 1822 aufhielt. — Map (db m70240) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Lutherstadt Eisleben — The Eisleber Mining School in the Katharinenstift 1817 - 1844Die Eisleber Bergschule im Katharinenstift 1817 – 1844
• The development of mining in the town of Eisleben is connected closely with the “Bergschule”, or Mining School. At the start of the 18th century new scientific discoveries necessitated the education of specialists to ensure the long-term sustainability of mining in the area. • In 1719 at a “General Meeting of the Trades of Eisleben and Hettestedt” it is decided that young miners should be taught higher mining and engineering knowledge. This . . . — Map (db m70311) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Mansfeld-Lutherstadt — History of the [Luther] HouseGeschichte des Hauses
1n 1507, Luther's father, Hans Luder, purchased the house - now known as the Parents' House [Elternhaus] - and owned it until the time of his death in 1530. Afterwards, ownership was transferred to Hans Luder's son Jacob. In a note dating from 1542, a second dwelling is mentioned. A second house would explain the size of the house and the adjoining farm complex. The house remained in the family until it was sold in late 1578. In 1807, the central section of the building was demolished in . . . — Map (db m70607) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Mansfeld-Lutherstadt — Luther Fountain / Lutherbrunnen
Ihrem großen Sohne der Stadt Mansfeld von Mansfeld aus begann der Weg des Reformators Dr. Martin Luther. 1913 vom dem Bildhauer Paul Juckoff aus Schkopau in Kalkstein und Bronze geschaffener Brunnenstock, Brunnen mit Denkmal. Dreiseitige Stele mit Darstellung der 3 entscheidenden Phassen seines Lebens. „Hinaus in die Welt" Abschied des 13 jährigen Luther aus Mansfeld, darüber Portät seiner Eltern. „Hinein in den Kampf" der Thesenanschlag an der Schlosskirche zu Wittenberg. . . . — Map (db m70372) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Mansfeld-Lutherstadt — Lutherlinde / Luther Linden
Der ca. 240 Jahre alte Baum war krank und mußte gefällt werden. Die Grundstückseigentümerin Frau Renate Fischer pflanzte als Ersatz am 05.04.2011 diese Sommerlinde. Aus Verbundenheit & Dankbarkeit Das Kirchspiel Mansfeld Heimatverein e.V. —————————— The 240 year old tree was sick and had to be felled. The land owner Renate Fischer planted as a replacement on 04/05/2011 this summer Linden. Out of solidarity and . . . — Map (db m70483) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Mansfeld-Lutherstadt — Luthers Schule / Luther's School
Von 1488 - 96 besuchte Martin Luther diese Schule, wo er neben dem Schreiben, dem Singen und etwas Rechnen von allem Latein lernte. Die damals herrschenden Erziehungsmethoden haben sich dem Jungen unauslöslich eingeprägt. Diese Erlebnisse wurden ein Ausgangspunkt sowohl für eine moderative Erziehung der eigenen Kinder als auch für seine späteren Reformbemühungen im Schulwesen. —————————————— From . . . — Map (db m70368) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Mansfeld-Lutherstadt — Luthers Schule / Luther's School
In diesem hause hat Dr. Martin Luther geboren am 10. November 1483 seiner ersten schulunterricht erhalten. Gew. von Konsul Georg Kaiser Berlin —————————— This house is where Dr. Martin Luther born on November 10, 1483 received his first schooling Weight[?] of consul Georg Kaiser Berlin — Map (db m70371) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Mansfeld-Lutherstadt — Mansfeld Brunnen / Well
Dieser brunnen wurde bei Straßenbauarbeiten der Stadtkernsanierung im Jahr 2003 freigelegt und saniert. Er wurde im frühen 17. Jahrhundert angelegt. Die oberen 7m sind aus Sandsteinblocken gemauert. Darunter wurde der Brunnen in anstehenden Buntsandstein gehauen. Gesamttiefe: 23 m Wassertiefe: 15 m —————————— This well was uncovered during road construction work in the town center redevelopment in 2003 and renovated. It . . . — Map (db m70377) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Mansfeld-Lutherstadt — Mansfeld um / in 1560
nach einer Handskizze von Cyriakus Spangenberg [Stadtplan und Schlüssel] Material und Putzarbeiten gesonsert von Firma KNORR Bau GmbH Entwurf und Ausführung Günter Bormann und Siegfried Bösel —————————— after a hand sketch by Cyriacus Spangenberg [map and key] Material and plaster work provided by KNORR Bau GmbH Design and execution by Günter Bormann and Siegfried Bösel — Map (db m70367) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Mansfeld-Lutherstadt — Mittelalterliches StraßenpflasterMedieval Pavement
ausg. 17. Jahrhundert Fundort Mansfeld im Bereich Teichstraße Postplatz Rabentorstraße in einer Tiefe von ca. zwei Meter Sichergestellt bei der Stadtkernsanierung 2002/03 English translation: From the 17th Century. Found in Mansfeld in the area of Teich Street,the Post Square, Ravensgate Street, at a depth of approximately 2 meters. Preserved during the reconstruction of the city center 2002-03 — Map (db m70362) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Mansfeld-Lutherstadt — Scherren(original nach / by C. Spangenberg)
Im Volksmund später auch Murre genannt. Als Scherren bezeichnete man im Mittelalter Verkaufsstände an denen frische Lebensmittel gehandelt wurden. Dies waren vorwiegend Fleisch und Brot. Daher werden sie in der Chronik auch als Fleisch und Brotbänke bezeichnet. —————————— In the vernacular, later also called Murre. As one called Scherren in the Middle Ages Stalls, selling fresh food being traded. These were mainly . . . — Map (db m70363) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Mansfeld-Lutherstadt — St. George's, Martin Luther's Home ChurchSt. Georgs, die Heimatskirche Martin Luthers
Die Kirche St. Georg ist die Heimatskirche Martin Luthers und eine zentrale Erinnerungssätte für die städtische und territorial Reformationsgeschichte des Mansfelder Landes Die Anfänge der Kirche gehen in das 12./13. Jahrhundert zurück. Sie ist eine einschiffige spätgotische Hallenkirche, im Ursprung kreuzförmig angelegt. Die Turmbasis stammt aus romanischer Zeit. Die heutige Gestalt der Kirche geht Auf die Jahre 1497-1518 zurück. - eine exponierte Rolle in lokalgeschichtlicher . . . — Map (db m70342) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Mansfeld-Südharz District), Mansfeld-Lutherstadt — War Memorial
Zur Erinnerung an die bedeutungsvollen Siegesjahre 1864 1866 1870-71 —————————— To commemorate the significant war years 1864 1866 1870-71 — Map (db m70340) WM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittemberg — The Luther Oak / Die Luthereiche
During Luther's life time it was common to burn the clothes of those who had died because of epidemics near the Holy Cross Hospital which was in front of the Elster Gate. On December 10th, 1520 Dr. Martin Luther burned the papal excommunication warning in front of the Elster Gate. It is told that a day later an oak was planted on that place. The oak that you see there now was planted in 1830, on the occasion of the anniversary of the Augsburg Confession. . . . — Map (db m70142) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — 1556 Wittenberg Water System
1556 Wir danken den hier senannten grundern des alten jungfern-rohr wassers fur ihr noch heute bestehendes uneigennutziges werk Hieronymus Krapp • Christoph Kellner • Christoph Schramm • Lucas Cranach • Kaspar Pfreundt • Konrad Ruehel • Hans Lufft —————————— 1556 We thank the mentioned founders for their selfless efforts in developing the old maiden-tube water system existing today Hieronymus Krapp • Christoph Kellner • . . . — Map (db m69736) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Christian Döring(unbek. - 1533)
Goldschmied, Verleger, Stadtkämmerer verlegte 1522 das Neue Testament —————————— Goldsmith, Publisher, City Treasurer in 1522 published the New Testament — Map (db m69783) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Corpus Christi Chapel / Fronleichnamskapelle
This chantry chapel was built in 1368 by Konrad Wynmann, one of the city fathers. It was destroyed, but rebuilt in 1456 under the auspices of Georg Zülsdorf. It was from here that on November 28th, 1518, Martin Luther appealed to Pope Leo X to set up a council to hear the case aginst [sic] him as a heretic. Up until 1772 the chapel was used for funeral services prior to burial in the churchyard. From 1913 to 1928 the chapel housed the Wittenberg Museum of Local History. Today the Corpus . . . — Map (db m69717) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — 7 — Cranach-Hof
Workshop on the Campus The courtyard complex at Schlossstraße 1 is a place of art, culture and education. Lucas Cranach the Elder acquired the property in 1518, which was described as the largest within the city walls, for use as his home and workshop. In 1540, he had the whole property renovated according to his own designs. The eastern side wind and the rear building to the south housed his famous painting workshop. He also operated a pharmacy here. The property passed to Lucas . . . — Map (db m69719) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — 8 — Cranach-Hof
Workshop on the Campus The renovation of the Cranach-Hof was continued and completed as part of the International Building Exhibition Urban Redevelopment 2010. Lucas Cranach the Elder acquired the property in 1512, along with a license to serve wine and the property at Markt 3. Lucas Cranach the Younger was born here in 1515. After selling and then acquiring the property again, Lucas Cranach the Elder leased it to the book printer Melchior Lotter. The building at the front was . . . — Map (db m69893) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Johann Faust(um 1480 - um 1540)
Astrologe, Alchimist soll zwischen 1525 u. 1532 hier gelebt haben —————————— Astrologer, Alchemist [believed] to have lived here between 1525 and 1532 — Map (db m69921) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Johann Schneidewin(1519 - 1568)
Jurist, kurfürstl. Rat Universitätsprofessor —————————— Lawyer, Electoral Council University Professor — Map (db m69782) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Johann von Staupitz(um 1469 - 1524)
Theologe, Augustinerprior Gründungsdekan der Theolog. Fakultät —————————— Theologian, Augustinian Prior Founding dean of the Theological Faculty — Map (db m70003) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — 3 — Jugendherberge
Youth on the Campus The renovation of the former deanery and its conversion into a youth hostel is part of the International Building Exhibition Urban Redevelopment 2010 in Lutherstadt Wittenberg. The deanery was built at the same time as the castle between 1489 and 1525. It was originally connected to the castle church by a six-storey gate tower and was located at the front of the castle. The ground floor housed stables and service room, with living rooms and offices on the floors . . . — Map (db m69846) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Karl Ludwig Nitzsch(1751 - 1831)
Theologe, Schriftsteller Gründungsdirektor des Predigerseminars —————————— Theologian, Writer Founding director of the Seminary — Map (db m70007) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Lucas Cranach
Maler zu Wittenberg, wie er sich selbst stets geschrieben, wurde 1472 zu Kronach in Franken geboren, kam 1504 nach Wittenberg, kaufte 1520 diese Apotheke, war von 1537 bis 1544 Burgermeister und starb am 16. October 1553 in Weimar. —————————— Painter in Wittenberg, as he always described himself, was born in 1472 to Kronach in Franconia, came to Wittenberg in 1504, bought in 1520 this pharmacy, was mayor from 1537 to 1544 and died on 16 October 1553 in Weimar. — Map (db m69718) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Lucas Cranach d. Ältere(1472 - 1553)
Maler und Unternehmer 1537 - 1544 Bürgermeister —————————— Artist and Entrepreneur 1537 - 1544 Mayor — Map (db m69739) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Lucas Cranach d. Jüngere(1515 - 1586)
Maler und Porträtist 1565 Bürgermeister —————————— Painter and Portraitist 1565 Mayor — Map (db m69779) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Lucas Cranach der Ältere (1472-1553)
Zur Erinnerung an die Ankunft des Malers 1505 in Wittenberg Frijo Müller-Belecke, Hemmoor Bildhauerlehrling 1948 im Cranach-Hof Wittenberg Bronze, 2005 —————————— To commemorate the arrival of the painter in 1505 in Wittenberg Frijo Müller-Belecke, Hemmoor Sculptor Apprentice 1948 Cranach-Hof Wittenberg Bronze, 2005 — Map (db m69737) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Mains Water Well on the Market SquareRöhrwasserbrunnen auf dem "Marktplatz"
The members of the union "New Jungfernröhrwasser", including Caspar Pfreundt und Christoff Niemeck, commissioned the construction of this water main in 1559. At the start there were 19 members. The water was taken from the spring area to the individual courtyards along a 2.7 km pipe, which used the natural downwards gradient of the terrain. The pipes were made of hollowed tree trunks, connected to each other using iron joints. Wells were constructed in different forms and using different . . . — Map (db m69874) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Martin Luther
Glaubet an das Evangelium ——— Believe in the gospel St Mark 1:15 ———————————— Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott ——— A mighty fortress is our God — Map (db m70200) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Martin Luther House
Hier lebte und wirkte Dr. Martin Luther von 1508 bis 1546. —————————— Here lived and worked Dr. Martin Luther from 1508 to 1546. — Map (db m70061) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Maxim Gorki(1868 - 1936)
Russischer Dichter wohnte hier 1903 —————————— Russian Poet lived here 1903 — Map (db m69850) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Michael Agricola
Der Finnishe Reformater studierte von 1536-1539 in Wittenberg —————————— The Finnish reformer studied from 1536-1539 in Wittenberg — Map (db m70063) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Michel Ney(1769 - 1815)
Marschall unter Napoleon I. befehligte hier 1813 die französ. Truppen —————————— Marshal under Napoleon I commanded French troops here in 1813 — Map (db m69847) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Napoleon I.(1769 - 1821)
Kaiser der Franzosen quartierte hier 1806 und 1813 —————————— French Emperor quartered here in 1806 and 1813 — Map (db m69849) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Nikolaus Ludwig, Graf v. Zinzendorf(1700 - 1760)
gründete Herrnhuter Brüdergemeine studierte hier von 1716-1719 —————————— Moravian Founder studied here from 1716-1719 — Map (db m69785) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Olga Gebauer(1858 - 1922)
Gründete deutschen Hebammenverband studierte hier im Hebammenlehrinstitut —————————— Founded the German Confederation of Midwives studied here in the Midwifery Training Institute — Map (db m69848) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Philipp Melanchthon
. . . — Map (db m69871) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Philipp Melanchthon House
Hier wohnte, lehrte und starb Philipp Melanchthon. ————————— Here lived, taught and died Philipp Melanchthon. — Map (db m69976) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Röhrwasserbrunnen in the/im "Lutherhof"
The members of the union "Old Jungfernröhrwasser", including Lucas Cranach the Younger and Hans Lufft, commissioned the construction of these water mains in 1556. There were 20 members at the start. The water was taken from the spring area to the individual courtyards along a 2.7 km pipe, which used the natural downwards gradient of the terrain. The pipes were made of hollowed tree trunks, connected to each other using iron joints. Wells were constructed in different forms and using . . . — Map (db m70033) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — The Augusteum / Das Augusteum
The Augusteum was built between 1564 and 1586 under the auspices of August I., Elector of Saxony. This building fulfilled various purposes for the Leucorea, Wittenberg's University. It was used as the medical faculty's institute for anatomy, as university library and for student accommodation, as well as an assembly hall. The Protestant Seminary, established in 1817, has always been located in this building and still today serves the practical education of pastors for their work in the . . . — Map (db m69999) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — The Beyer CourtyDer Beyerhof
In 1512, the Electoral Chancellor and Wittenberg mayor Christian Beyer built a two-story house here. Around the middle of the 16th Century, the summer courtyard garden which can be reached through the arched gate was created. A third story was added to the house in the second half of the 18th Century. After the destruction of the eastern arcade during the Wars of Liberation against Napoleon around 1814, the southern and eastern wings were erected in their current form. In a niche of . . . — Map (db m69895) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — The Castle Gate, also called Coswig GateDas Schlosstor, auch Coswiger Tor genannt
When Martin Luther came to Wittenberg in 1508 he saw three mighty gates around the heavily fortified town. At this place was the Castle Gate in 1508. In front of this gate was the Castle suburb. In 1805, Alexander I., Emperor of Russia, was in Wittenberg. He was welcomed here by the chamber knight and chief forester von Erdmannsdorf as well as by the Prince of Dessau-Anhalt (Father Franz). Delegations of the Council of Wittenberg and of the university were also welcomed by the Emperor. In . . . — Map (db m69888) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — The Elbe Gate / Das Elbtor
When Martin Luther came to Wittenberg in 1508 he saw three mighty gates around the heavily fortified town. At this place in 1508 was the Elbe Gate. In front of this gate was the Elbe suburb. In 1829 the Princess Auguste of Saxony-Weimar came through this gate into the town. She was a guest of the commander of the fortress and on her way to her marriage with Prince Wilhelm of Prussia. In 1873 the destruction of the gate started. . . . — Map (db m70145) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — The Elster Gate / Das Elstertor
When Martin Luther came to Wittenberg in 1508 he saw three mighty gates around the heavily fortified town. At this place in 1508 was the Elster Gate. In front of this gate was the Elster suburb. On February 22, 1546, the body of Martin Luther was met by his wife Katharina and his children, the professors of the university, the council of the town and the citizens of Wittenberg. From here in a festive procession to his funeral at the Castle Church was accompanied by the ringing of bells. . . . — Map (db m70143) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — The Leucorea University / Die Universität Leucorea
In 1502 Elector Frederick the Wise founded the old Wittenberg University under the name "Leucorea" as the first sovereign university. The Pope acknowledged it in 1507. Martin Pollich von Mellerstedt, the Elector's personal physician, was the university's first rector. The Leucorea University attained European significance during the Reformation Movement. Martin Luther lectured here as a professor for biblical exegesis from 1512 onwards; Philipp Melanchthon was appointed in 1518. An . . . — Map (db m69969) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — The Luther House / Das Lutherhaus
The Luther House was originally a monastery built for Augustinian Hermits between 1504 and 1507. Martin Luther entered the monastery as a monk in 1508. The monastery was dispersed in 1522 during the course of the Reformation Movement. The Renaissance building was given to Luther in 1532 by the Elector John the Steadfast. Here Martin Luther, his wife Katharina von Bora and there [sic] children have lived for many years. They gave the students board and lodging. Until 1816 the building . . . — Map (db m70054) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — The Melanchthon House / Das Melanchthonhaus
This building was erected in 1536 for Philipp Schwarzerdt, one of the most significant German humanists and reformers, better known as Philipp Melanchthon. Melanchthon's family owned the house until 1604. The three-storeyed gabled house has round arched niches as seats on both sides of the entrance; these can also be seen at the door to the Luther House In 1967 a memorial of Philipp Melanchthon was opened in this house. To Melanchthon's 500th birthday in 1997, the house was restored . . . — Map (db m69974) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Thomas Müntzer(1490 - 1525)
Theologe und Bauernführer studierte hier 1518 —————————— Theologian and Peasant Leader studied here in 1518 — Map (db m69780) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Wilhelm Eduard Weber(1804 - 1891)
Erfinder des electromagnet. Telegraphen Geburtshaus —————————— Inventor of the electro-magnetic telegraph Birthplace — Map (db m69820) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — 4 — Wilhelm-Weber-Haus
Education on the Campus The alterations to the Wilhelm Weber House as part of International Building Exhibition Urban Redevelopment 2010 are creating a place for dialogue between academia, business, politics and the public. The building dates back to the 16th century. In 1556, the town council installed a system of water pipes, to which the property was connected. The archway forming the entrance was also built at this time, although the doors were added in the 18th century. Since . . . — Map (db m69829) HM
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Wittenberg's Water-Piping SystemWittenberger Röhrwasser
Wittenberg's Water-Piping System a technical monument from the 16th century 1n 1556 a group of distinguished local residents (Hieronymus Krapp, Christoff Kelner, Hans Lufft, Lucas Cranach, Caspar Pfreundt, Conradt Rühel and Christoff Schramm) formed a "Piping Union" in order to have water mains constructed. This water supply system later became known as the "Old Maiden Water Piping System" (Altes Jungfernröhrwasser). The water was piped in hollowed tree trunks connected with iron . . . — Map (db m69913) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — [Haus] zum Schwarzen Horn / The Black Horn
Fassade 1549 im Renaissance-Stil errichtet Druckerwerkstatt von Wolfgang Schenck (seit 1499) Mathis Maler (bis 1536) Hier wurden Martin Luthers Schriften und Adam Rieses Rechenbücher gedruckt ———————— Facade built in 1549 in Renaissance style Print workshop of Wolfgang Schenck (since 1499) Mathis Maler (to 1536) Here were printed Martin Luther's writings and Adam Ries' arithmetic books — Map (db m76992) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Adam Ries1492 • 1559
von 1518-1522/23 in Erfurt sein ältestes rechenbuch „Rechnung auff der linihen” wurde hier 1518 gedruckt ———————— [lived] in Erfurt from 1518-1522/23. His first book on arithmetics, "Counting on Lines" was printed here in 1518. — Map (db m76995) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Allerheiligenkirche / All Saints Church
1125 als Klosterkircher gestiftet Seit dem 13. Jh. Pfarrkirche Ende des 13. Jh. gotischer Umbau 1487 Westturm erneuert Vesperbild (Pietà) von 1390 ——————— 1125 Founded as a monastery church Since the 13th century a parish church End of the 13th century, Gothic reconstruction 1487 West Tower renovated Stone vesper statue (Pietà) 1390 — Map (db m77762) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Augustinian MonasteryEvangelisches Augustinerkloster zu Erfurt — Luther Trail / Lutherweg
The Protestant Augustinian monastery (1300) in Erfurt, a Lutheran site famous both in Germany and around the world, is a remarkable example of medieval religious architecture. Martin Luther lived, prayed and worked here as a monk from 17 July 1505 to autumn 1511. Original documents from this period are on permanent display in the Bible-Monastery-Luther exhibition. Today the Augustinian monastery is a conference centre and cultural forum. . . . — Map (db m76966) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Childhood Home of Friedrich Wilhelm Ritschl
Hier steht das Elternhaus des großen Philologen Friedrich Wilhelm Ritschl (1806 - 1876) ———————— Here is the childhood home of the great philologist Friedrich Wilhelm Ritschl (1806 - 1876) — Map (db m76968) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Christoph Martin Wieland
Hier wohnte Christoph Martin Wieland Professor an der Philosophischen fakultät der Universität Erfurt - von 1769 - 1772 ———————— Here lived Christoph Martin Wieland Professor on the Philosophy faculty of the University of Erfurt, 1769 - 1772 — Map (db m77018) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Collegium Maius1379 — Old University / Alte Universität Erfurt 1392-1816
Ehem. grosses kolleg und sitz des rektors der alma mater erfordiensis um 1500 - 1550 Durch bomben zerstört 9.Feb.1945 Teilrekonstruktion 1983 ———————— Former large lecture hall and seat of the president Academy erfordiensis(?) around 1500 - 1550 Destroyed by bombs 9 February 1945 Partial reconstruction in 1983 — Map (db m76979) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Fish Market 22 / Coffee Mountain HouseFischmarkt 22 / Haus zum Kaffenberg
1310 First written record as "The property by which one goes to the synagogue." Owner is the Jew Abraham, son of David. By that time a part of the plot had been bought by the Erfurt Jewish community as access to the synagogue. 1349 After the pogrom of the Erfurt Jews, the city appropriated the property and, in the wake of their respective owners, raised an annual interest charge. 1430 The oldest wood in the house, which has been preserved in some ground-floor locations, . . . — Map (db m77020) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Functional Housing Prototype at Johannes TowerFunktionsmusterbau am Johannesturm — Erected 1983 - 1985 errichtet
Musterbau der flächenhaften Stadterneuerung im Rahmen einer differenzierten architektonischen und städtebaulichen Gestaltung im industriellen Wohnungsbau. Auftakt zur Umgestaltung der nördlichen innerstadtbereiche in den letzten Jahren der DDR. Zu hause in Erfurt ———————— Prototyping of urban renewal area in the context of a differentiated architectural and urban design in industrial housing. Prelude to the transformation of the . . . — Map (db m76960) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — General Medical Insurance Building (AOK)Gebäude der Allgemeinen Ortskrankenkasse (AOK)
1930 errichtet Funktionalbau im Stil der Neuen Sachlichkeit Architekt Theo Kellner Bildhauer Hans Walther ———————— Built in 1930 Functionally built in the New Objectivity style Architect Theo Kellner Sculptor Hans Walther — Map (db m76964) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Haus zum schwarzen Mohren / Home of the black Moors
erbaut a.d. 1569 ———————— built 1569 A.D. — Map (db m77833) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — House for the Great Ark of Noah and EngelsburgZur Grossen Arche Noah und Engelsburg — Old University / Alte Universität Erfurt 1392-1816
Um 1392 Wohnhaus des Amplonius Ratingk 1565 im Stil der Renaissance umgebaut Druckerwerkstatt von Melchior Sachse seit 1525 Hier wurde Luthers Bibel- übersetzung und der Straßburger Eulenspiegel gedruckt ————— Historische druckerei Haus zur grossen arche Noah und Engelsburg ——————————— To 1392 was house of Amplonius Ratingk 1565 rebuilt in the Renaissance . . . — Map (db m76977) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Johann Christian Kittel(1732 - 1809)
Hier stand das Geburtshaus von Johann Christian Kittel (1732 - 1809) Komponist und Schüler J. S. Bachs ———————— Here was the birthplace of Johann Christian Kittel (1732 - 1809) Composer and student of J. S. Bach — Map (db m77389) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Johann Matthäus Meyfart and/und Caspar Friedrich Lossius
Here lived the evangelical clergymen and teachers Johann Matthäus Meyfart (1590 - 1642) Caspar Friedrich Lossius (1753 - 1817) ———————— Hier wohnte die ev. Geistlichen und Pädagogen Johann Matthäus Meyfart (1590 - 1642) Caspar Friedrich Lossius (1753 - 1817) — Map (db m77099) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Johanneskirchturm / Johannes Church Tower
1217 Kirche urkundl. erwähnt 1469-1486 gotischer Neubau 1819 Kirchenschiff abgebrochen Dient der Augustinerkirche als Glockenturm ———————— 1217 Church mentioned in documents 1469-1486 Gothic building 1819 Nave disassembled Serves as the Augustinian church bell tower — Map (db m76956) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Krämerbrücke / Merchant's Bridge
Älteste urkundliche erwähnung als holzbrücke im Jahre 1117, durch Brand mehrere Male zerstört. In Stein erbaut im Jahre 1325. Die Brücke lag auf der Wegstrecke der ost-west-handelsstrasse Kiew-Breslau-Erfurt-Frankfurt/Main. ———————— Oldest written mention of wooden bridge in 1117, destroyed by fire several times. Built in stone in 1325. The bridge was on the path of the east-west trade road Kiev-Wroclaw-Erfurt-Frankfurt/Main. — Map (db m77017) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Laasphe-Kapelle / Laasphe Chapel(Dreifaltigkeitskapelle) / (Trinity Chapel)
Erbaut zwischen der Michaeliskirche und dem wohnhaus von Dr. Johannes Bonemilch (1430-1510) aus Laasphe Dr. Johannes Bonemilch studierte und lehrte an der Universität Erfurt deren rektorat er dreimal inne hatte Als weihbischof ist sein name verbunden mit der weihe Martin Luthers 1507 zum priester Am 17.10.1510 starb Johannes Bonemilch und wurde im Erfurter dom beigesetzt ———————— Built between the Michaelis . . . — Map (db m76984) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Lehmannsbrücke / Lehmanns Bridge
ehemalige Lehmannsbrücke Älteste Erfurter Brücke, erstmalig im Jahre 1108 erwähnt, 1342 als steinerne Brücke mit 4 Bögen errichtet, 1977 durch einen Neubau ersetzt. ———————— Former Lehmanns Bridge Erfurt's oldest bridge, first built in 1108 Mentioned in 1342 as a stone bridge with four arches Replaced by new build in 1977 — Map (db m77808) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Luther Trail Points of Interest / Sehenswertes am Lutherweg
Erfurt, the current regional capital of the Free State of Thuringia, was established in 742, and with 200,000 inhabitants, is the largest city in Thuringia as well as its commercial, spiritual, cultural and political centre. Situated in the heart of Germany, this traditional yet modern city boasts an impressive history. Its medieval centre is Germany's largest single heritage site. Georgenburse It is widely accepted that Martin Luther moved into the Georgenburse as a . . . — Map (db m76967) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Martin Luther
Eintritt in das Augustiner-Eremiten-Kloster zu Erfurt 17. Juli 1505 Der wahre Schatz der Kirche ist das allerheiligste Evangelium von der Herrlichkeit und Gnad Gottes. (62. der 95 Thesen zum Ablaß) 17. Juli 2005 ———————— Admission to the Augustinian Hermits monastery in Erfurt July 17, 1505 The true treasure of the church is the most holy gospel of the glory and grace of God. (62 of 95 theses on indulgences) [Dedicated] . . . — Map (db m77834) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Michaeliskirche / Michaelis Church — Old University / Alte Universität Erfurt 1392-1816
1183-1200 als Pfarrkirche errichtet Ende 13.Jh. und Anfang 15.Jh. gotischer Bau Ehem. Universitätskirche 1522 Predigt Martin Luthers; hier wurde der Reformator Johannes Lang beigesetzt ————— 12./13./15.Jh. Ehemalige Universitätskirche ———————— 1183-1200 Built as a parish church End of 13th century and early 15th century Gothic building Former University Church 1522 sermon Martin . . . — Map (db m76981) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Nikolai Church Tower / Nikolaikirchturm
Church organized beginning of the 11th century Tower built around 1360 Nave removed 1744 The church has been in the possession of the Teutonic Order since 1284 ———————— Gründung der Kirche Anfang des 11. Jh. Um 1360 Turm erbaut 1744 Kirchenschiff abgebrochen Die Kirche was seit 1284 im Besitz des Deutschen Ordens — Map (db m76971) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Paulskirchturm / Paul's Church Tower
Church founded before 1187 Church built 1465-1468 Tower restored 1737 Destruction of the nave in the first half of the 18th century through fire and demolition ———————— Gründung der Kirche vor 1187 1465-1468 Kirche erbaut 1737 Turm erneuert Zerstörung des Kirchenschiffes in der. 1. Hälfte des 18. Jh. durch Brand und Abbruch — Map (db m77100) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Predigerkirche / Preachers' Church
Constructed about 1270 Gothic building completed in 1488 Former abbey of the Dominican Order with major parts dating to the Middle Ages Work Supervisor Eckhart (*1260 †1328) Evangelical since 1525 ———————— Um 1270 Baubeginn 1488 gotischer Bau vollendet Ehem. Klosterkirche des Dominikanerordens mit bedeutenden Ausstattungsstücken des Mittelalters Wirkungsstätte Meister Eckharts (* um 1260 †1328) seit 1525 . . . — Map (db m77106) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Rathaus / City Hall
1275 Vorgängerbau erstmals erwähnt 1869-82 neogotischer Neubau Neogotische Innenausstattung mit Gemälden zur Geschichte Erfurts und Thüringens ——————— Predecessor mentioned in 1275 for the first time 1869-82 neo-Gothic building Neo-Gothic interior with paintings on the history of Erfurt and Thuringia —————————————— Deutsche Stiftung . . . — Map (db m77764) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Ratsgymnasium / Council Secondary School
Hier befand sich von 1561 - 1820 das Ratsgymnasium der Stadt Erfurt ———————— From 1561 - 1820 this was the Council secondary school for the city of Erfurt — Map (db m77809) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Sparkasse am Fishmarkt / Savings on Fish Market
Sparkasse am Fischmartk 1934/35 errichtet Bau im Stil der neuen Sachlichkeit Reliefgestaltung zum Thema „Die Laster und die Tugenden” Bildhauer Hans Walther ———————— Savings on Fish Market [Plaza] Built 1934-35 Building in the style of the "New Objectivity" Relief designed on the topic "The Vices and Virtues" Sculptor Hans Walther — Map (db m77071) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Willi Münzenberg1889 - 1940
Hier stand das Geburtshaus von Willi Münzenberg 1889 - 1940 Publizist im Widerstand gegen Hitler und Stalin ———————— Here stood the birthplace of Willi Münzenberg 1889 - 1940 Publicist in resistance against Hitler and Stalin — Map (db m77438) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Zum Güldenen Krönbacken
Mittelalterliches Gebäude, 1534 und 1561 im Renaissance - Stil umgebaut Im Innern gotische Architekur - elemente erhalten; Waidheimulerhaus (?) mit großen Waidspeicher im Hof ———————— Medieval buildings, 1534 and 1561 Renaissance - style remodeled Inside Gothic architectural elements Waidheimulerhaus (?) with large Waidspeicher in the yard — Map (db m76989) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Zum Roten Ochsen / The Red Ox
Um 1250 erwähnt 1562 im Hochrenaissance - Stil erbaut Waidhändlerhaus; wird seit 1978 als Kunstgalerie genutzt ———————— Mentioned around 1250 Re-built 1562 in the High Renaissance - style Waidhändlerhaus; Since 1978 used as an art gallery — Map (db m77042) HM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — "Blood Road" / „Blutstraße”
Access to Buchenwald Concentration Camp was initially gained by way of a narrow forest road which had served traffic over Ettersberg Mountain for centuries. Its reconstruction as an eight-metre-wide concrete road began in the summer of 1938. The road construction firm Zindt in Gotha was in charge of the project planning and realization. As many as two hundred inmates worked under the company's supervision at a time. Hundreds of inmates - chiefly Jews - hauled stones for the subbase from . . . — Map (db m76930) HM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — "Goethe's Oak" / „Goethe-Eiche”
Position of the "Goethe's Oak" ———————— Standort der „Goethe-Eiche” ———————— [French and Russian text not translated] — Map (db m76562) HM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Barrack / Barackebuilt after 1945 / nach 1945
This barrack has been mistaken for the seat of the "Political Department" for a long time. "Political Department" was the name of the Gestapo branch office (secret state police) located in a wooden barrack behind this building and destroyed during the air-raid in August 1944. ———————— Lange fãlschlich für den Sitz der „Politischen Abteilung” gehalten. Die Zweigstelle der Geheimen Staatspolizei (Gestapo), Politische Abteilung . . . — Map (db m76521) HM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — British and Canadian Military Victims of Buchenwald
In honour of the memory of the members of the British and Canadian Forces murdered in Buchenwald Concentration Camp. The lives of four British patriots were saved by the solidarity of German antifascists. They were all imprisoned in Block 17. ———————— [German and Russian text not transcribed] — Map (db m76558) HM WM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Bulgarian Political Prisoners / Bulgarische politische Häftlinge
Memorial stone (placed) 1970 The translation of the Cyrillic inscription reads: Block 45 Bulgarian political prisoners of the concentration camps. From the Dachau, Radeberg, Buchenwald camps. Former students from Dresden and Bratislava. ———————— Gedenkstein 1970 Die Übersetzung der kyrillischen Inschrift lautet: Block 45 Bulgarische politische Häftlinge der Konzentrationslager. Aus den Lagern Dachau, Radeberg, Buchenwald. . . . — Map (db m76730) HM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Camp Fence and the Watchtowers 3, 4 and 5, April 1945Lagerzaun und Wachtürme 3, 4 und 5, April 1945
[Title is text] ———————— [French and Russian text not transcribed] — Map (db m76920) HM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Camp Headquarters / Lagerkommandanturbuilt in 1937 / erbaut 1937 — Fragment of the central part / Fragment des Mittelteils
Camp Headquarters was the office of the camp commandants Karl Koch (1937-1941) and Hermann Pister (1942-1945) and of the commandant's staff. The wooden barrack of the adjutant's office originally formed the western wing of the building. The extensions were built at the beginning of the 1950s. ———————— Sitz der Lagerkommandanten Karl Koch (1937-1941) und Hermann Pister (1942-1945) und des Kommandanturstabes. Den westlichen Flügel bildete . . . — Map (db m76529) HM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Camp Road / Lagerstraße
Camp road between blocks (stone barracks), SS photograph, 1943 ————————— Lagerstraße zwischen Steinblocks, SS-Foto 1943 ————————— [French and Russian text not transcribed] — Map (db m76729) HM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Crematorium / Krematoriumbuilt 1940-1942 / erbaut 1940-1942
In view of the growing numbers of dead, the SS had a crematorium built in 1940 and extended in 1942. The company Topf & Söhne from Erfurt, developed and delivered the crematorium ovens. About 1,110 people were strangled in the Corpse Cellar. ———————— Angesichts wachsender Totenzahlen ließ die SS 1940 ein Krematorium errichten und 1942 ausbauen. Die Erfurter Firma Topf & Söhne entwickelte und lieferte die Verbrennungsöfen. Im Leichenkeller . . . — Map (db m76539) HM WM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Depot / Kammergebäudebuilt in 1939/40 • erbaut 1939/40
This depot as used by the SS to store the civilian clothing and personal possessions of the inmates, as well as the uniforms, shoes and metal eating utensils used in the camp. The inmates were sent by the tens of thousands from the railway station through the camp gate to the disinfection building and the depot. Most of them then landed in the "Little Camp", to be sent on from there to one of the arms production commandos. There were thousands of adolescents and children among them. One of . . . — Map (db m76565) HM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Dog Compound / Hundezwinger
Dog compound of the SS military command headquarters, built in 1938 ———————— Hundezwinger des SS-Kommandanturstabes, erbaut 1938 ———————— [French and Russian text not transcribed] — Map (db m76927) HM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Ernst Thälmann
Eternal Glory The great son of the German people, the leader the German working class Ernst Thälmann on 18th August 1944 at this point of fascism was murdered ———————— Ewiger Ruhm dem grossen sohn des Deutschen volkes, dem führer der Deutschen Arbeitklasse Ernst Thälmann der am 18. august 1944 an dieser stelle vom faschismus ermordet wurde ———————— This . . . — Map (db m76540) HM WM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Female Victims of Buchenwald
No one said farewell No one erected a cross or a stone but they live as long as people remember the more than 27,000 women and girls from over 30 countries who in 1944 and 1945 were detainees in 27 outside sub-camps of Buchenwald used as slave labor victims of Nazi violence and the death marches Non omnis moriar [Not all die] ———————— Niemand nahm abschied niemand errichtete ein kreuz oder einen stein doch ihr . . . — Map (db m76557) HM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Gate building / Torgebäude
Title is text [French and Russian text not translated] — Map (db m76531) HM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Guard Path of the SS Guard DetailPostenweg der SS-Wachmannschaften
Measuring three kilometres in length, the asphalt-covered guard path was an important element of the concentration camp surveillance system. At night, after the SS had left the camp, guards patrolled between the twenty-two watchtowers located along the path at intervals of about one hundred metres. Every morning before the work gangs marched out through the camp gate, the guard path was expanded to form a "big sentry line" comprising over fifty double sentries and surrounding the camp, the . . . — Map (db m76921) HM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Inmates' Laundry and "Goethe Oak"Häftlingswäscherei und „Goethe-Eiche" — Photograph, June 1944 / Foto Juni 1944
Photo taken secretly by the French inmate Georges Angeli ———————— Insgeheim von dem französischen Häftling Georges Angeli aufgenommen ———————— [French and Russian text not transcribed] — Map (db m76559) HM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Inmates’ living quarters / Häftlingsunterkünfte
photograph, April 1945 / Foto April 1945 [French and Russian text not transcribed] — Map (db m76537) HM WM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Jewish Memorial / Jüdisches Mahnmal
[Title is text - French and Russian text not transcribed] "So that the generation to come might know, the children yet to be [balance of quote needs transcribed] — Map (db m76808) HM WM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — National Buchenwald MemorialNationale Mahn- und Gedenkstätte Buchenwald
Die vernichtung des Nazismus mit seinen wurzeln ist unsere losung Der aufbau einer neuen welt des friedens und der freiheit ist unser ziel ———————— The destruction of Nazism and its roots is our slogan The construction of a new world of peace and freedom is our goal — Map (db m76953) HM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Polish Patriots / Polischen Patrioten
In October 1939, 2098 Polish patriots came to this special camp. 1650 died in 5 months. 123 were locked in a barbed wire cage where after 12 days they froze and starved to death. They suffered and died for the freedom of Poland. ———————— Im Oktober 1939 kamen 2098 Polnische patrioten in dieses sonderlager. 1650 starben in 5 monaten. 123 wurden in einen stacheldrahtkäfig gesperrt, in dem sie nach 12 tagen erfroren und verhungerten. Sie . . . — Map (db m76538) HM WM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Sinti and Roma Memorial / Sinti und Roma Denkmal
Memorial to murdered Sinti and Romany Gypsies ———————— Denkmal für die ermordete Sinti und Roma ———————— [French and Russian text not transcribed] ———————— [Inscription] In memory of Sinti and Roma victims of Nazi Holocaust Zum gedenken an die Sinti und Roma, die Opfer des NS-Völkermords wurden — Map (db m76813) HM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Soviet Prisoners of War / Sowjetische Kriegsgefangene
Site of the camp for Soviet prisoners of war, 1941-1945 ———————— Gelände des lagers für sowjetische Kriegsgefangene, 1941-1945 ———————— [French and Russian text not transcribed] — Map (db m76862) HM WM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Soviet Prisoners of War MemorialSowjetische Kriegsgefangene Denkmal
Block 1 • 7 • 13 • 19 • 25 • 30 Lager sowjetischer kriegsgefangener. Allem völkerrecht zum hohn wurden sowjetische soldaten in Buchenwald gefangengehalten. Neben schwerster arbeit wurden sie grausam gequalt und viele starben. trotz solidarischer hilfe durch die politischen gefangenen an erschöpfung und hunger. ————————— Block 1 • 7 • 13 • 19 • 25 • 30 Soviet prisoners of war camp. All international law was scorned for Soviet . . . — Map (db m76865) HM WM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — SS Guard Detachment BarracksKaserne der SS-Wachmannschaften
The barracks of the SS guard detachment, built in 1937/38 Temporary infirmary, April/May 1945 On April 15, 1945, the 120th Evacuation Hospital of the 3rd United States Army arrived in Buchenwald Concentration Camp. Their mission was to give medical assistance to the approximately 20,000 prisoners left here after the liberation of the camp. The presence of piles of dead bodies and the lack of sanitation were just a few of the problems to be addressed as they began to treat the . . . — Map (db m76929) HM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — SS Guard Detail Splinter Protection TrenchSplitterschutzgraben der SS-Wachmannschaften
[Title is text] ———————— [French and Russian text not transcribed] — Map (db m76916) HM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Stake and Cart / Pfahl und Karren(reconstruction) / (Rekonstruktion)
Means of punishment and work ———————— Straf- und Arbeitsmittel ———————— [French and Russian text not transcribed] — Map (db m76556) HM
Germany, Thuringia (Weimarer Land Kreis (District)), Buchenwald Memorial — Storage Cellar / Vorratskeller
Storage cellar of the inmates' kitchen, built in 1938/39 ———————— Vorratskeller der Häftlingsküche, erbaut 1938/39 ———————— [French and Russian text not translated] — Map (db m76560) HM
189 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 189 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.