|Ireland, Connacht (County Galway), Inishmore, Aran Islands — Dún Aonghus|
This, one of the finest prehistoric fortresses in Western Europe, consists of three dry-stone ramparts, and the remains of a fourth, the outermost of which encloses an area of 11 acres.
Outside the second rampart there is a 30 foot band of upright stones forming a defensive band or “chevaux de frise.” Considerable alterations were made in the 19th century when the buttresses in the inside wall were erected.
Tá sé seo ar cheann de na dúnta réamh-stairiúla is breátha in . . . — Map (db m25053) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Galway), Inishmore, Aran Islands — Welcome to Port Corrúch Seal Colony — Failte go Port Corrúch|
| Welcome to Port Corrúch Seal Colony
[First part of the marker is about the seal colony along the coastline and is not transcribed]
As you look across the North Sound you can see the Coast of Connemare and the Twelve pins of Connemara. Near by the factory ruins represents an out post of Victorian industianlism [sic] in the 19th Century. One of the earliest attempts to mechanige [sic] the kelp industry was sited just here for the topography of the area makes this Aran's most favoured . . . — Map (db m22928) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Galway), Kilronan, Inishmore, Aran Islands — A Fighting Chance|
| John Ridgeway [sic] & Chay Bylth
rowed the Atlantic in English Rose III
from Orleans to Kilronan, Aran,
Ireland 4th June 1966 - 3rd Sept. 1966
Na laga dia iad — Map (db m22850) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Galway), Kinvara — Francis A. Fahy — 1854 - 1935|
Poet, Writer, Life-Long Worker
in the Irish Cause
was born in this house Sept. 29. 1854.
“For peace of mind I'll never find
until my own I call
that little Irish cailín
in her ould plaid shawl” — Map (db m28091) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Mayo), Althore — Srahwee or Altóir Megalithic Wedge Tomb — Clew Bay Archaeological Trail site 13 — Slí Seandálaíochta Chuan Módh|
| Sraith Bhuí – The Yellow River Land
This is one of the finest megalithic tombs in Ireland. This particular example is a wedge tomb, so-called because of its shape, wider and higher at the entrance and gradually tapering towards the rear. This type of tomb dates to the beginning of the Bronze Age (about 2,000 BC), when there was a final flourish of tomb building in Ireland.
The flat roof stone was used as an altar during Penal times, giving the tomb its local name, . . . — Map (db m28063) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Mayo), Cloonlaur — Bunlahinch Clapperbridge — Clew Bay Archaeological Trail site 14 — Slí Seandálaíochta Chuan Módh|
| Bún na hInes - Bottom of the River Meadow
This clapperbridge is a very unusual feature in the West of Ireland. The word clapper originally meant plank in the Sussex area of England, where there are many examples. Clapperbridges are a pre-historic form of stone-built bridge. The basic structure consists of small stone piers or pillars, which are spanned by flat stone slabs or planks. They were designed to cross wide, flat streams and rivers, as seen here, and used as footbridges. . . . — Map (db m28058) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Mayo), Cong — Monk's Fishing House / Teach Iascaigh na Manach|
| Monk's Fishing House
Fish was a staple in the diet of the mediaeval monastery, and this small building, probably built in the 15th or 16th century, is believed to have been used by the monks of Cong to make the task of catching fish a little easier.
It is built on a platform of stones over a small arch water from the river to flow underneath the floor. A trapdoor in the floor may have been used for a net, and monks could sit by the small fireplace in cold weather waiting for their . . . — Map (db m28068) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Mayo), Killeen — Killeen Graveyard and Cross Slab — Clew Bay Archaeological Trail site 15 — Slí Seandálaíochta Chuan Módh|
| This graveyard is now in the area known as Killeen. There is no trace of the early Christian church but there is a circular raised platform within the graveyard which could indicate where the original church stood. Tradition has it that if a person found guilty of any crime placed a finger in the keyhole of the church door, he/she would be let go free.
In the graveyard, there is a large standing stone, leaning precariously, which was christianised during the seventh century with a Maltese . . . — Map (db m28056) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Mayo), Louisburg — Famine Museum and Granuaile Centre, Louisburgh — Clew Bay Archeaological Trail site 12 — Slí Seandálaíochta Chuan Módh|
| Cluain Cearbhán - Meadow of the Buttercups
The Famine Museum in Louisburgh recounts local memories of the famine, presents coverage of the famine in the media, nationally and locally, and shows how links have been established between Louisburgh and other parts of the world, culminating in the local famine walk along Doo Lough Valley.
The Granuaile Centre recounts the life and times of the 16th century O'Malley Chief and Sea Captain, Granuail (Grace O'Malley or Gráinne . . . — Map (db m28044) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Mayo), Moneen — Lime Kiln, Moneen, — Clew Bay Archaeological Trail site 11 — Slí Seandálaíochta Chuan Módh|
| Móinín - Small Bog
Lime Kilns date from the 18th century and were used until the 1940s in some areas. By lighting fires in these kilns and adding crushed limestone, lime was produced for use as fertiliser in the fields and also for whitewashing cottages. Most of the lime kilns around the country have been destroyed and only rare examples survive. This site survives in its entirety and is as fine an example of its type to be found in the area.
Tornóg Aoil - Móinín
Tosaíodh ag . . . — Map (db m27989) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Mayo), Murrisk — Murrisk Abbey / National Famine Monument / Statue of St Patrick — Clew Bay Archaeological Trail sites 6, 7, 8 — Slí Seandálaíochta Chuan Módh|
Murrisk Abbey • site 6
Muraisc - Sea Marsh
Murrisk Abbey was founded circa 1456 by the Augustinian Friars because “the inhabitants of those parts have not hitherto been instructed in their faith.” It quickly became the preferred starting point for pilgrimages up Croagh Patrick. Before then, pilgrims approached the mountain from AnTóchar Phádraig, which starts in Aughagower.
The ruins consist of an L-shaped building representing the long and narrow . . . — Map (db m27757) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Mayo), Murrisk — Murrisk Fisherman's Monument|
Ag Críost an mhuir
Ag Críost an t-iasc
I líontaih Dé go gcastar sinn
This monument was erected to honour the
contributions of the traditional seafaring
fishing community in Murrisk.
We celebrate their memory and ask you to remember
all those who lost their lives in Clew Bay
Names of boats associated with sea fishing in Murrisk up to mid 1960's
Officially unveiled by
Cathaoirleach of Mayo County Council
Gerry Coyle &
Most Rev. Michael Neary DD
Archbishop of Tuam . . . — Map (db m80404) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Mayo), Murrisk — Murrisk Friary / Mainistir Mhuraisce|
Murrisk - from Muraisc (Sea-marsh)
This small house of Augustinian friars, located here on the south shore of Clew Bay in the shadow of Croagh Patrick, was founded in 1457 by Hugh O'Malley. It was dedicated to St Patrick, some of whose relics were preserved here.
The only surviving buildings are the small church and the range of domestic buildings which bordered the cloister on its east side - the chapter house below, where the friars met to . . . — Map (db m27587) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Mayo), Murrisk — National Famine Memorial — Cuimhneachán Náisiúnta ar an nGorta Mór|
To honour the memory of all who died, suffered and
emigrated due to the Great Famine of 1845 - 1850,
and the victims of all famines.
The Memorial was unveiled by the President of Ireland,
Mary Robinson, on 20 July 1997.
I gcuimhna ar an daoine go léir a fuair bás,
a d'fhulaing agus a chuaigh
ar an imirce de dheasca Ghorta Mór 1845 - 1850
agus ar gach uile dhuine i ngátar de dheasca gorta.
Uachtarán na nÉireann, Máire Mhic Róibín,
a nocht an Cuimhneachán ar an 20 . . . — Map (db m27583) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Mayo), Murrisk — Squadron Leader R. F. C. Garvey|
In loving memory of
R.F.C. Garvey D.F.C. & Bar
Only son of J.C. & Gladys Garvey
Born at Murrisk Abbey 11th July 1918
Killed in a flying accident
at Shawbury, England,
on 14th January 1948 & buried there
Dearly loved — Map (db m28259) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Mayo), the Doo Lough Valley — 1849 Famine Walk|
| . . . — Map (db m27687) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Mayo), Westport — Major John Mac Bride / Seán Mac Giolla Bríde|
IgCuimhne ar an maor
Seán Mac Giolla Bríde
Major John Mac Bride
Irish Republican Army,
Major in the Army of the South
Organizer of the Transvaal
who died for Ireland
5th May, 1916.
Go nDéana dia trócaire ar a anam. — Map (db m27564) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Roscommon), Ballinlough — Glynn - Glavey - Keane Memorial|
This memorial was erected to
commemorate the memory of
Comdt. Patrick Glynn
Lieut. Michael Glavey
Vol. Michael Keane
who gave their lives for
the cause of freedom
during an attack on
Ballinlough R.I.C. Barracks
on Sept. 14th 1920.
“They rose in dark and evil days
to free our native land
They started here a living flame
that nothing can withstand”
Tógadh an leacht cuimhneacháin seo
i mbuan chuimhne ar an . . . — Map (db m27768) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Roscommon), Ballyconboy — 988:1272 — Cruachan / Cruachain (Rathmore)|
| Cruachan is traditionally said to be the inauguration place of the Kings of Connacht. There are a number of monuments spread over an area of about two square miles. These include a large mound, a number of differently-shaped enclosures and some ring-forts. One of these contains a standing stone alleged to mark the resting place of the last pagan king of Ireland.
De réir an tseanchais is ag Cruachain a dhéantaí Ríthe Chonnacht a ghairm. Tá roinnt séadchomharthaí scaipthe ar fud achar dhá . . . — Map (db m28192) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Roscommon), Cloonyquin — Percy French — 1854 - 1920|
| This memorial is erected on the site
of the birthplace of
William Percy French
Born 1st May 1854
and commemorates his life as
engineer, song-writer, entertainer,
artist and journalist.
“Remember me is all I ask,
and yet if the remembrance
prove a task - forget!” W.P.F.
Erected by Co. Roscommon Historical
and Archaeological Society in 1984.
This plaque was erected by
Co. Roscommon Percy French Society
to commemorate the
150th anniversary of
the . . . — Map (db m28177) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Roscommon), Rathmoyle — Rathmoyle Cemetery|
| Rathmoyle Cemetery is unique in that it is the property of the parish and is maintained solely by the local population.
The site appeas on the 1st edition of the 6 inch O.S. series of maps for Co. Roscommon as a Mortuary Chapel with surrounding graveyard. It is mentioned in the 1837 O.S. Map.
The site was presented as a gift to the area by the local gentry, the Irwin's, in 1921 and has since been used as a local cemetery.
The surrounding wall was constructed in the 1930's through . . . — Map (db m28204) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Roscommon), Strokestown — Dr. Dudley Forde House|
of town's Georgian
Home of Dr. Dudley Forde
popular medical practitioner
in this area for many years
Died 1945 — Map (db m27557) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Roscommon), Strokestown — Mahon Dower House|
Mahon Dower House
in 1740's later used as
Scoil Mhuire Secondary
School until 1967 — Map (db m27538) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Roscommon), Strokestown — Strokestown Brewery|
Brewery here in
early 18th century — Map (db m27548) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Roscommon), Strokestown — The Sharkey Sisters|
The Sharkey Sisters
Una and Lena
resided here. Leading
members of Cumann na mBan
War of Independence — Map (db m27553) HM|
|Ireland, Connacht (County Sligo), Ballymote — Irish of the American Civil War Monument|
| We sent you our starving and our evicted
you gave them freedom and opportunity
You sounded the call of arms
We answered with loyalty and courage
We gave service, limb and life
To the honour and lasting memory of Irish emigrants
and People of Irish heritage
who served and died during the American Civil War
Dedicated on May 9th 2015 the 150th anniversary of the end of the War
An Taoiseach, Enda Kenny, T.D.
In the presence of
His Excellency, Kevin F. . . . — Map (db m85946) WM|
|Ireland, County Sligo, Ballymote — Ireland's National Monument to the Fighting 69th Regiment — & Brigadier General Michael Corcoran|
|Ireland's National Monument
to the Fighting 69th Regiment &
Brigadier General Michael Corcoran
The Honourable Major Michael R. Bloomberg
New York City
22 August 2006
John Perry T.D
Ballymore Community Enterprise Ltd.
Sligo Benevolent Association
Monument sculpted by Phillip Flanagan
Project managed by Ruairl O Culv — Map (db m85947) WM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Castle Hall — Halla an Chaisleáin|
| Castle Hall
The causeway entrance to the 13th century Dublin Castle lies under this building on the North/South axis. The Bedford Tower was built on the medieval entrance towers. This building, comprising of the former Genealogical Office and Guard House, together with their extension, on the site of the former La Touche Bank, has been renamed Castle Hall.
Halla an Chaisleáin
Tá an cabhsa go dti Calsleán 13ú haois Bhaile Atha Cliath suite faoin bhfoirgneamh seo ar an als . . . — Map (db m22435) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Chris Reid Oral History Artwork Project|
| Chris Reid completed a public artwork
consisting of 20 bronze plaques and a
printed book. The texts are based on
recordings the artist made from
2004 to 2008 with residents and people
associated with Nicholas Street,
Ross Road, Bride Street and Bride
Road. Chris Reid was commissioned
through Dublin City Council's Public
Art programme, arising from the
refurbishment of these buildings
and funded by the Department
of the Environment, Heritage
and Local Government. . . . — Map (db m22480) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Countess Constance Markievicz — 1869 - 1927 — Major, Irish Citizen Army, 1916|
| A valiant woman who fought for Ireland in 1916
In the 1916 Rising she was Second-in-Command to Michael Mallin in the College of Surgeons. She was sentenced to death for her activities but was released from prison in 1917 in the general amnesty.
The bronze bust show Countess Markievicz in the uniform tunic of the Irish Citizen Army. The work was unveiled in 1956.
[From the Monuments of St. Stephen's Green marker found in the park.] — Map (db m22504) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Dublin Millenium Literary Parade — 988 - 1988 — Dublin Corporate Parks Dept.|
| One of Dublin's major contributions to European civilisation has been in the area of literature. It is remarkable that so many writers of world renown were born here including three winners of the Nobel Prize for Literature. This Literary Parade honours some of our distinguished sons of literature.
St. Patrick's Park has been restored thanks to the generosity of Jameson Irish Whiskey, and the Publicans of Dublin. — Map (db m22472) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — First Performance of Handel's Messiah|
| This bronze commemorates
the first performance of
George Frideric Handel's
Oratorio Messiah, given
in the Old Musick Hall in
Fishamble Street at noon
on Tuesday April 13th 1742 — Map (db m22450) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Fusiliers’ Arch|
| In memory of the officers, non-commissioned officers and men of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers who fell in the South African War A.D.1899·1900
Fortissimis suis militibus hoc monumentum eblana dedicavit MCMVII
Tulega Heights•Laings Nek
Fusiliers' Arch [Inscription is from the Monuments of St. Stephen's Green
marker found in the park]
The form of this arch, 12 feet in width, is that of a Roman Triumphal Arch. It stands 32 feet 6 inches high. . . . — Map (db m22470) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Haslam Memorial Seat|
| In 1925 a finely sculptured garden seat of Kilkenny limestone was placed in the park and inscribed on the back - “Anna Marie, 1829 - 1922 and Thomas Haslam, 1825 - 1917. This seat is erected in commemoration [sic - ‘honour’] of their long years of public service, chiefly devoted to the enfranchisement of women." [From Monuments of St. Stephen's Green marker found in the park] — Map (db m22485) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — James Clarence Mangan — (1803 - 1849)|
| He has been described as the greatest poet of the nineteenth century. He died of cholera in 1849. The bronze bust by Oliver Sheppard was unveiled in 1909 on behalf of the National Literary Society.
In a niche in the pedestal is a marble head representing Róisín Dubh, the last work of Willie Pearse.
[From the Monuments of St. Stephen's Green marker found in the park.] — Map (db m22488) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — James Joyce — (1882 - 1941)|
| Acknowledged as a world figure in literature. He dismantled the English language and put it together again so that it became music. The sculpture in bronze was unveiled on June 16, (Bloomsday) 1982. — Map (db m27047) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Jeremiah O'Donovan Rossa / Ó Donnabháin Rosa — (1831 - 1915)|
| Ni dhéanfaidh gáeil bhearmao orc go brách
[Gaelic transcription is best effort]
Erected in 1954. An uncut rock of Wicklow granite symbolises the patriot's unbreakable spirit. Into the rock is set a plaque bearing an impression of O'Donovan Rossa's head. — Map (db m25316) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Leinster House — Malton Trail|
| Since 1924, Leinster House has been the seat of the two houses of the Oireachtas, Dail and Seanad (Irish Parliament and Senate), who meet here a total of 90 days a year.
Designed in 1745 by the architect Richard Cassels, who also designed the Lying-In Hospital off Parnell Square, it was built as a town residence for the duke of Leinster on what was then known as Molesworth Fields, adding a character to the area that has remained to this day.
This view is one of many superb quality . . . — Map (db m22459) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Lord Ardilaun|
| Prior to 1877 St. Stephen's Green was a private square for the use of the residents of the Green. In that year, through the generosity of Sir Arthur Edward Guinness (Lord Ardilaun) negotiations were concluded for converting it into a public park.
Lord Ardilaun paid off debts against the park and invested an additional £20,000 in laying out the grounds as a park and garden. The bronze statue of Lord Ardilaun was erected by public subscriptions in 1892.
The Right . . . — Map (db m25311) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Margaret Anna Cusack — 1829 - 1899|
| Margaret Anna Cusack was born on this site on May 6th 1829. At the time York Street was a centre of medicine. She was the daughter of Sara and Dr. Samuel Cusack. Her uncle was the interationally renowned surgeon James William Cusack, 3-times President of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland.
She became an Anglican Sister but in 1861 converted to Catholicism and moved to Kenmare in County Kerry. Here, under the pseudonym of the “Nun of Kenmare”, she wrote on all aspects of . . . — Map (db m22454) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — National Memorial to members of the Defence Forces — who died in the service of the State — "An Dún Cuimhneacháin"|
| The National Memorial to members of the Defence Forces is a place of contemplation and remembrance, providing a focal point where families, relatives and members of the public can reflect on the contribution and sacrifice made by members of the Defence Forces who died in the service of the State.
The pyramid shape of the memorial, which was designed by Brian King, captures historic references to burial and is a standing testament to the dead. It also reflects the shape of a military tent. . . . — Map (db m26868) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Oscar Wilde House|
1854 - 1900
Poet, Dramatist, Wit
1855 to 1878 — Map (db m24754) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Robert Emmet — (1778 - 1803)|
| Presented to the People
The Robert Emmet
United States of America
April 13, 1966
Francis J. Kane, Chairman
Ambassador Scott McLeod
Devlin W. Dormer, Esq.
Hon. Michael J. Kirwan, M.C.
Hon. Thomas P. O'Neill, M.C.
Hon. Daniel J. Flood, M.C.
Hon. John E. Fogarty, M.C.
N. Mike Devlin, Esq.
The statue, erected in 1968, in a small enclave on the west side of the park faces the house in which Robert Emmet was born (now . . . — Map (db m25304) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Saint Patrick’s Park — Páirc Naomh Pádraig|
| Tradition has it that Saint Patrick baptised the first Irish Christians in a well, situated here in St. Patrick's Park, with water from the River Poddle, which still flows underground. A small wooden church was erected here to commemorate the event. The parish church on this site was known as Saint Patrick's in Insula (on the island) because it was located on an island between two branches of the River Poddle. In 1191 John Comyn, the first Anglo-Norman Archbishop of Dublin, gave the church the . . . — Map (db m22468) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Sir William Robert Wills Wilde — 1815 - 1876|
| aural and ophthalmic surgeon, archaeologist, ethnologist, antiquarian, biographer, statistician, naturalist, topographer, historian, folklorist, lived in this house from 1855 to 1876 — Map (db m24755) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — St. Patrick's Cathedral — Malton Trail|
| This majestic view of St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin is a colour reproduction from a series of original aquatints etched by James Malton, whose work, A Picturesque and Descriptive View of the City of Dublin, gives us a glimpse of Dublin at the close of the 18th-century.
Malton was “struck with admiration at the beauty of the capital of Ireland and was anxious to make a display of it to the world”.
It is here that St. Patrick was said to have baptised converts to Christianity . . . — Map (db m22465) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — St. Stephen's Green Bandstand|
| Erected in 1887 from funds subscribed by the Dublin Metropolitan Police to commemorate Queen Victoria's Jubilee. [From the Monuments of St. Stephen's Green marker found in the park.] — Map (db m22483) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — The "Three Fates"|
| This fountain, erected in 1956, is situated near the Leeson Street entrance to the park. It consists of a group of three bronze figures – Nornenbrunnen, representing the Three Fates, who weave and measure the thread of man's destiny.
The monument was the gift of the German Federal Republic to mark its appreciation of the help and generosity of the Irish people during the time of distress and hardship after the Second World War. The work was designed by the Bavarian Sculptor, Professor . . . — Map (db m25306) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Theobald Wolfe Tone — (1763-98)|
| An Irish patriot convicted of treason. He died mysteriously in prison in November 1798.
The memorial consists of a ten-foot figure of Wolfe Tone backed by a wall of rough granite columns of varying width and rising to 16 feet in height.
Behind the granite columns is a group of bronze figures that symbolize the past unhappy subjugation of the Irish people. This group represents the cause for which Tone sacrificed his life. He was thirty-five years old.
The memorial was unveiled by President de Valera in 1967. — Map (db m25303) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Thomas M. Kettle — 1880 - 1916|
| Born in County Dublin
9th February 1880
Killed at Guinchy
9th September 1916
Killed at Guinchy during the Great War, September 1916.
“Died not for Flag nor King nor Emperor
But for a dream born in a herdsman's shed
And for the sacred scripture of the poor.”
The bronze bust erected in 1937, is by A.G. Power and was cast by Compagnie des Bronzes, Brussels.
[From the Monuments of St. Stephen's Green marker found in . . . — Map (db m22489) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — Veronica Guerin — 1959 - 1996|
| Sunday Independent journalist,
was murdered on 26th June 1996.
Be Not Afraid
Greater justice was her ideal and it was her ultimate achievement
Her courage and sacrifice saved many from the scourge of drugs and other crime.
Her death has not been in vain.
Unveiled by the Taoiseach,
Mr. Bertie Ahern T.D.
27th June 2001 — Map (db m24078) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Dublin), Dublin — William Butler Yeats — (1865 - 1939)|
| “He may be regarded as the pivot around which Irish literature turned from instinctive to conscious art.” (George W. Russell).
The memorial, erected in [October] 1967, is a tribute in bronze by Henry Moore, the sculptor. — Map (db m27039) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Fingal), Howth — Balscadden House|
| W. B. Yeats
Lived Here • 1880-1883
“I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams” — Map (db m24771) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Fingal), Howth — Howth Abbey, St. Marys / "Mainistir" Bhinn Éadair|
| Howth Abbey, St. Marys
Sigtrygg, King of Dublin, founded the first church here in 1042. When this church was amalgamated with another on Ireland's Eye in 1235, it was re-founded by Luke, Archbishop of Dublin. Much of the present church dates from the 15th and 16th centuries. In the southeastern corner is a chantry containing the tomb of Christopher St. Laurence, carved around 1470, with the effigy of the Knight and his wife on top. Surrounding the tomb can be seen representations of the . . . — Map (db m27205) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Fingal), Howth — Howth The Village / Binn Éadair ______ — The Fingal Way / Sli Fhine Gall|
| A Fishing Village
References to the fishing industry in Howth can be found from the twelfth century, although in the seventeenth century the port was also known in the area as a base for pirates roaming Dublin Bay. In Elizabethan times a wooden quay was built but as vessel size increased the importance of Howth for goods and passenger traffic declined. In the nineteenth century various plans were put forward for a harbour at Howth and in 1807 construction commenced using stone quarried . . . — Map (db m27057) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Fingal), Howth — Lost At Sea|
| The monument was erected by
The Howth Fishermens Association
and commemorated the lives
of all persons lost at sea,
no matter where or no matter how.
[Representative memorial plaques follow]
Brian Faherty and Michael McDonogh
of The Lively Lady, Inís-More, Aran Islands
Lost at Sea, March 1st 1982 in Rossaveal.
Sadly missed by their families & friends
Ar dheis dé go raibh a nanam
In loving memory of the crew of
‘The . . . — Map (db m26806) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Fingal), Howth — St Mary's Church / Eaglais Mhuire|
| Howth from Old Norse Hofuth (a promontory);
Binn Éadair (the hill of Éadar) is the Irish name.
This church, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, was collegiate; that is, it was served by a college or community of clerics, one of whom had responsibility for liturgy within the church as well as for matters of business. The house where the community lived stands to the south of the church.
The earliest church here was built by Sitric, King of Dublin, in 1042. It . . . — Map (db m27183) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Fingal), Howth — The Lord Killanin|
Sixth President of the
International Olympic Committee
1972 - 1980
President of the
Olympic Council of Ireland
1950 - 1973
This commemorative bronze bust was unveiled by
Dr. Jacques Rogge
Eight[h] President of the
International Olympic Committee
May 20th 2009
Sculptor - Paul Ferriter 2009 — Map (db m27050) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Fingal), Howth — The Ready Boat Pillar — Sculpted by Seán O'Dwyer|
| Seeing the meaning
When viewing a piece of sculpture one can see many different layers of meaning. The clues given here are only the first layer of meaning and are meant only as a gateway through which you can go on your way to see meanings of your own.
All local stories, myths and legends are preserved to carry a message. Howth has a wonderful past and from it certain themes emerge.... exploration, conflict, healing and preservation. I have depicted figures in the Ready Boat Pillar . . . — Map (db m25301) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Fingal), Malahide — Malahide / Mullach Íde|
[Excerpt from marker]
There has been a settlement at Malahide (Mullach Íde in Gaelige meaning the Hill of the Hydes) since ancient times. The Vikings landed in 795 AD and the Danes were settled here from 897 AD. In 1185 the Normans were in control of Dublin and from the 12th century the castle at Malahide was developed by the Talbot family who remained in residence until the 1970's.
The village developed in the early 19th century and the small harbour was used to import . . . — Map (db m72714) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Fingal), Portmarnock — The Southern Cross Monument — By Rachel Joynt & Remco DeFouw|
| This sculpture celebrates Portmarnock's unique role in world aviation history. This beach, known as the Velvet Strand, was used as a runway for the first successful East-West Transatlantic flight, on 24th June 1930.
After a gruelling 33 hours the ‘Southern Cross’ landed at Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. It was the final leg of the first circumnavigation of the globe by aircraft. The pilot was Australian Aviator Sir Charles Kingford Smith, Co-pilot Evert Van Dyk, Irish Navigator Capt. Paddy . . . — Map (db m25788) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Fingal), Portmarnock — The Velvet Strand / An Trá Chaoin — Portmarnock / Port Mearnóg|
| What's in a name?
Portmarnock is names after St Marnock, a prominent missionary who founded a church in the area.
The Velvet Strand and Aviation History
It was from the Velvet Strand, on 24th of June 1930, that the famous Australian aircraft Southern Cross departed on a pioneering Atlantic flight to Harbour Grace, Newfoundland, where it landed safely some 31.5 hours later. The plane was piloted by the legendary Charles Kingsford Smith and navigated by Dubliner Captain . . . — Map (db m83440) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Laois), Borris In Ossory — Millenium Fountain|
| The threshold and other rough stone
was salvaged from one of the last
thatched houses in the village.
It was demolished in the year 2000. — Map (db m24721) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Longford), Kenagh — fáilte go Kenagh|
| Brief History of Longford
Longford is a focal point of the northern midlands where the provinces of Leinster, Ulster and Connaught all converge. Longford, where history and literature, tradegy and triumph are all woven together, takes its name from the ancient stronghold of the O'Farrell family (Long Fort - Fort of the O'Farrells) who ruled from the 11th Century. Bordered to the west by the majestic River Shannon, Longford is a county of rolling plains and picturesque stretches of water. . . . — Map (db m27946) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Longford), Lanesborough — fáilte go Lanesborough|
Brief History of Longford
Longford is a focal point of the northern midlands where the provinces of Leinster, Ulster and Connaught all converge. Longford, where history and literature, tradegy and triumph are all woven together, takes its name from the ancient stronghold of the O'Farrell family (Long Fort - Fort of the O'Farrells) who ruled from the 11th Century. Bordered to the west by the majestic River Shannon, Longford is a county of rolling plains and picturesque stretches of . . . — Map (db m27498) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Longford), Lanesborough — Lanesborough / Béal Átha Liag History 500 - 1900 AD|
| The Mouth of the Ford of Stones
The ancient name of Lanesborough is Béal Átha Liag which means “Mouth of the Ford of Stones”. Situated at the northern tip of Lough Ree, or Loch Rí - meaning the “Lake of Kings” - Béal Átha Liag provided the first crossing point on the Shannon north of Athlone. From 1000 AD, the bridges across the Shannon have been of major military importance, being a main crossing point between the East and West of Ireland.
540 • . . . — Map (db m27424) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Longford), Longford — County Longford Great War Memorial — 1914 - 1918|
| [Northeast Face]
To Perpetuate the Memory
of the 284 Gallant Soldiers
of the County Longford
who fell in the Great World War.
This Cross was erected by
the generous subscriptions of
their sorrowing relatives,
comrades and sympathisers.
R. I. P.
[Handwritten note hanging below reads:]
In memory of the 325 Longford men and women
who died in World Wars One and Two
and other conflicts
R. I. P.
Those loving Heroes
good and . . . — Map (db m27355) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Louth), Monasterboice — Monasterboice / Mainistir Bhuithe|
| Monasterboice — from Mainistir Bhuithe (the Monastery of Buithe)
This is the only early Irish monastery whose name incorporates the Irish word mainistir.
Monasterboice was founded by St Buite, who died around 520.
The monastery was an important centre of spirituality and learning for many centuries until the Cistercians arrived at nearby Mellifont in 1142.
The two churches which stand on the site today were probably built no earlier than the end of the 14th . . . — Map (db m24628) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Louth), Monasterboice — 98 — Round Tower / An Cloigtheach|
| Round Tower
The round tower was the Irish reaction to the Norse raids on monasteries in the 10th/11th century A.D. These tapering buildings, over 100 feet high, served as watch-towers, belfries, repositories for church valuables and as refuges for the community. The door, normally 15-20 feet above ground was reached by a movable ladder and the interior was divided into four or more storeys.
The present height of the tower is 110 feet. The level of the surroundings has been raised by . . . — Map (db m24693) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Louth), Monasterboice — 98 — The North Church / An Teampall Thuaidh|
| A 13th century reconstruction on the foundations of an earlier monastic building, used as a small parochial church after the monastery at Monasterboice had come to an end. It remains little of architectural interest. The east windows and most of that gable have disappeared.
Hatógadh an teampall seo ar fhothaí sean-mhainistreach, agus húsáideadh mar theampall paróiste é tar éis an mhainistir dul i léig. — Map (db m24694) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Louth), Monasterboice — 98 — The South Church / An Teampall Theas|
| At one time a church consisting of nave and chancel stood on this site. In the 13th century re-edification the west gable was moved back to add over two feet to the nave. The chancel having by this time disappeared, the plain round arch in the east gable was built up to give a single-roomed building.
Bhí tráth ar an láthair seo teampall ina raibh méánlann agus caingeal. Nuair a hathógadh é sa 13ú aois bogadh an bhinn thiar amach le 2'4" a chur leis an meánlann. — Map (db m24717) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Bective — Bective Abbey / Mainistir Bheigtí|
| Bective Abbey — from Mainistir Bheigthí (Abbey of Beigtheach)
This Cistercian abbey was founded in 1147 as a “daughter house” of Mellifont Abbey.
The community here was Anglo-Norman. In 1386 men of Irish birth were effectively barred from entering the monastery. The cloister (a covered walkway for contemplation and prayer) and the domestic buildings where the monks lived and worked, were rebuilt on a smaller scale in the 15th century. Two sections of this . . . — Map (db m24752) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Crossakiel — Jim Connell|
| Author of “The Red Flag”
which became the anthem of the
International Labour Movement
Born Rathniska, Kilskyre 1852
Died Lewisham, London 1929
Oh, grant me an ownerless corner of earth,
Or pick me a hillock of stones,
Or gather the wind wafted leaves of the trees
To cover my socialist bones,
This monument was unveiled on 26th April, 1998 by
Peter Cassells, general secretary, ICTU, before an
international gathering from the trade unions and . . . — Map (db m27347) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Culmullen — Culmullen & 1798 — They Gave Their Lives For Their Cause|
| Erected by the People of
Culmullen and District
to the memory of the Men and Women
of Wexford and Meath
who died for their Country
and lie buried in the surrounding area
There were two periods of intense
Rising activity around Culmullen in 1798
Thursday May 24, 1798
Dunshaughlin was the rallying point for the United Irishmen of Meath, Dublin and North Kildare where a Tree of Liberty was planted. The following day, the rebels moved to one side of the Bog of Culmullen . . . — Map (db m33354) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Donaghmore — Donaghmore Church and Round Tower — Domhnach Mór agus Cloightheach|
| Donaghmore Church and Round Tower
A monastery was reputedly founded here in the 5th century by St Patrick, who placed it in the care of St Cassán, whose relics were venerated here. The Round Tower was not built until the 11th or 12th century. It is well-preserved, but its upper part was badly restored in 1841 - the four windows which normally face North, South, East and West from the top of Round Towers are not found here, and the stone at the top of its roof is missing. . . . — Map (db m22542) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Duleek — Connell's House — Duleek Heritage Trail|
| Close to the Courthouse along the western perimeter of the village green is Connell's House, the oldest house in Duleek. This building was in existence at the time of the famous Battle of the Boyne in 1690. — Map (db m24793) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Duleek — Duleek 1916 - 1981 Hunger Strike Monument — and Memorial Garden|
| The Memorial Garden
is named after
Vol. Joe Coombes, Platin Road.
Vol. Noel Gallagher, Mountfield, Co. Tyrone
Vol. Harry McCormick, Prioryland, Duleek
and is in memory of
all those who dedicated their lives
to and for the cause of Irish freedom.
This monument was unveiled by
Paddy Sheils (Snr), Garballagh
and Jimmy Lynch, Kentstown
The Memorial Garden
Was Officially Opened
On 15th June 2008
By Ex-Portlaoise Hungerstriker . . . — Map (db m27220) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Duleek — Duleek Courthouse — Duleek Heritage Trail|
| Duleek Courthouse was built in 1838 by John Trotter as a sessions house for the Meath Grand Jury. It was designed by Francis Johnston. The main architectural features are the Doric door-case and fanlight, a simplified eaves pediment and corner quoins. The building was used as a courthouse until 1960 when it was converted to a library and environmental offices. Its best-known magistrate was Judge Stephen Trotter who was responsible for the erection of Duleek House. — Map (db m24803) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Duleek — Parochial House — Duleek Heritage Trail|
| The original house was built in 1795. It was built in three stages and was acquired by Fr John Kearney to accommodate the parish priest and the curate. It was re-roofed in 1993 and presides over the very elegant village green.
At the back of the house are substantial stables and other outoffices which in earlier times were used for parish animals. These were built in 1898 and in more recent times have been refurbished as meeting rooms for parish groups and community activity. — Map (db m24801) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Duleek — St Mary's Abbey — Duleek Heritage Trail|
| One of the great churches of the 12th century, St. Mary's Abbey, was built by the Augustinians on lands presented to them by Hugh de Lacy, Overlord of Meath.
In the 1500s a massive square tower was built alongside the earlier round tower. The latter is no longer standing but the ‘scar’ where it was joined onto the square tower is clearly visible on its north side.
Within the church are some early cross-slabs, a Romanesque pilaster-capital and the base and head of the South Cross, and . . . — Map (db m26384) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Duleek — The Lime Tree — Duleek Heritage Trail|
| William of Orange and Mary accepted the throne of England in 1698, supplanting King James II who took refuge with his ally and sponsor Louis XIV of France. The tensions between James and William would reach their highpoint in 1690 at the battle of the Boyne in Meath, where James was defeated.
In Duleek at the time there was a very significant colony of Huguenots (French Protestants) who had fled persecution in France.
Subsequently to the Battle of the Boyne the people of Duleek planted . . . — Map (db m24802) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Fordstown — Girley / Fordstown — Meath Villages|
| An introduction to Fordstown
Fordstown is named after the Norman-Irish Ford family, who lived in the area. One part of the townland is sometimes referred to as Ballaghboy. Today, Fordstown is a growing, vibrant community. ‘Fordstown Street Fair’ is an old world fair, hosted by Fordstown in October each year since 2004. Fordrew Rovers
Fordrew Rovers Football Club was formed in 1997 and play in Drewstown. They progressed from Division 4A to Division 1 in four years. They won . . . — Map (db m27318) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Kells — Catherine Dempsey|
| Here rest the remains of
Silvester O'Dempsey Esq.
Who departed this life the 31 Dec. 1817
In the 70 year of his age
of the most steady Friendship
Unblemished Integrity extensive charity
This frail Memorial of imperishable
regard is inscribed as a record of the
tenderest Affection to his Memory
by his Daughter Catherine ODempsey
died 22nd August 1837
In her charity she bequeathed
her entire property
to further . . . — Map (db m26423) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Kells — Headfort Place — Kells Heritage Trail|
| Headfort Place was purposely widened and lined with trees in the 18th century to make it a suitable setting for its attractive Georgian houses. It is also here that a site for a parish church was donated to the Roman Catholic community by Lord Bective. The original site of the church is in the area near the present church's carpark. — Map (db m27339) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Kells — Kells Courthouse|
| The courthouse, built in 1801, was designed by the prominent Irish architect Francis Johnston. Johnston also designed the General Post Office and Nelson's Pillar in Dublin, and Townley Hall, County Louth.
A Vantage Point to the Past
Several important landmarks of Kells recent history can be seen from this vantage point in front of the courthouse. Located to the west of the courthouse we find Headfort Place - a wide, tree-lined avenue of Georgian houses - the Headfort estate agent's . . . — Map (db m27340) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Kells — Kells Round Tower — Kells Heritage Trail|
| This tower is located on the grounds of St Columba's church and was built in the 10th century as part of the early Christian monastery. Such towers were referred to as a cloigteach meaning bell tower. Modelled on early Italian belfries, they were used as lookout towers and as places of refuge during attack, particularly from Norse invaders.
The tower is ninety feet high from the original street level to the base of its roof and has six floors but no internal staircase. Access to the upper . . . — Map (db m26440) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Kells — Market Cross — Kells Heritage Trail|
| This 9th century high cross, the cross of the gate of the Kells monastery, is one of five high crosses still surviving in Kells. The cross of the gate, currently at or near its original site, was a termon cross and signified that a fugitive could claim sanctuary once inside the boundary of the monastic area.
The carved faces of the high crosses depict scenes from the Old and New Testament and were used primarily for the religious instruction of the faithful. These scenes may originally have . . . — Map (db m27341) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Kells — St Columba's Church — Kells Heritage Trail|
| Diarmuld MacCarroll, High King of Tara, is said to have granted the dun of Cenannus to St Columcille in the 6th century for the purpose of establishing a monastery. This may explain why in 804 the Columban community on the island of Iona (Hebrides), then the principal Columban monastery, moved to Kells to escape the reaches of Norse raiding parties. St Columba's church stands on the site of the original Columban monastery. It became a cathedral church 1152 when the diocese of Kells was . . . — Map (db m26444) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Kells — Suffolk Street — Kells Heritage Trail|
| Suffolk Street is an anglicisation of the ancient name Siofac, the meaning of which is today uncertain. The Annals of the Four Masters mentions a fire in 1156 burning the area of Kells from the cross of the gate to Siofoic. The name may be derived from the existence of a suidhe, a fairy mound, possibly a prehistoric tumulus, at the junction of Suffolk and Farrell Streets. A hillock at this site was cleared away in the early 19th century with the widening of Farrell Street. — Map (db m26424) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Kells — The Churchyard Wall — Kells Heritage Trail|
| This wall marks the boundary of the original monastery and was rebuilt in 1714. When part of the wall collapsed after heavy rains in 1997, it was discovered to have no foundation. It was rebuilt again in 1998, this time with reinforced bulwarks. — Map (db m26402) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Loyd — Kells Union Workhouse Paupers' Graveyard|
to the memory of the poor
during the operation
English Poor Law System.
1838 - 1921.
R. I. P.
In the immediate aftermath
of the Great ‘Famine’, this mass
burial place was opened in 1851 for
the poor people of the Kells District.
Their memory challenges us to end the
scandal of hunger in today's world of plenty.
AFrI Great “Famine” Project
Erected 9th October 1993
“Famine is a lie”
Brian . . . — Map (db m27326) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Loyd — Spire of Loyd — Kells Heritage Trail|
| The tower, a mock lighthouse, was erected in 1791 by the First Earl of Bective in memory of his father Sir Thomas Taylor. The architect was Henry Baker who completed the design of the Kings Inns in Dublin after Gandon. The tower has an internal spiral stone staircase and was used in the 19th century to view the horseracing and the hunt.
A section of land adjoining the tower was given to the Kells Union Workhouse in 1851 to be used as a paupers' graveyard. A famine road existed between the . . . — Map (db m27324) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Newgrange — Knowth / Cnogbha|
| Within the great mound of Knowth there are two passage-tombs and around it, eighteen satellite tombs. The site remained a focal point for over 4,000 years. There is evidence of occupation from 3,000 B.C. to 1,200 A.D.
This project has been part-financed by the European Regional Development Fund — Map (db m27219) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Newgrange — The Woodhenge/Pit circle / The Winter Soltice|
| The Woodhenge/Pit circle
If you were here 4000 years ago in the Early Bronze Age you would be standing inside a large wooden enclosure. The passage tomb was no longer in use at this time but the site was still a focal point for ritual and celebration.
Because the enclosure was made of wood, it hasn't survived above ground. However, evidence of it was found by archaeologists. They found postholes where the huge wooden stakes had been. They also found pits where small animals had been . . . — Map (db m22522) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Slane — Saint Patrick on the Hill of Slane|
| Long established tradition tells that St. Patrick lit the Easter Fire on this Hill of Slane in 433. In doing so, he unwittingly disobeyed King Laoghaire at nearby Tara.
The inevitable confrontation had a happy outcome: Laoghaire's druid, Erk, became a Christian (later, first Bishop of Slane) and the King was pacified.
The Easter Fire is still lighted, each year, on the Hill of Slane. — Map (db m22538) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Slane — Slane Abbey — Mainistir Shláine|
| Slane Abbey
It is believed that in 433 AD, the first Christian missionary to Ireland, later known as St. Patrick, lit a large celebration fire here on the Hill of Slane.
Soon after St Patrick, a monastery associated with St Earc was built on the site. But we know little of its history until the church was rebuilt in its present form in 1512, when Sir Christopher Fleming founded a Franciscan friary. The church was built to a simple plan but it has a fine bell tower; the aisle to the . . . — Map (db m22533) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Meath), Trim — Newtowntrim Cathedral / Ardeaglais an Bhaile Nua — Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul — Ardeaglais nPheadair agus nPhóil|
| The priory of Newtowntrim was founded in 1202 by Simon de Rochfort, Bishop of Meath, for a community of Augustinian canons (priests). As well as functioning as part of the monastery, the church became the cathedral for the diocese of Meath after Simon petitioned the Pope to transfer his cathedral from Clonard to this site, where it could be protected by the great Norman castle at Trim.
The Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul was one of the largest and most sophisticated churches built in . . . — Map (db m27240) HM|
|Ireland, Leinster (County Offaly), Birr — The world's first automobile fatality — happened here on 31 August 1869|
| Shortly after 8:00pm that evening a pioneering steam carriage designed and built by William Parsons, the Third Earl of Rosse, left the castle gates and drove at walking pace along Oxmantown Mall before turning the corner into Cumberland (now Emmet) Street. The Kings County Chronicle of the following day records what then befell:
DEATH OF THE HON. MRS. WARD
On yesterday the people of Parsonstown were much excited and grieved at a sad accident which occurred in the . . . — Map (db m33198) HM|
|Ireland, Munster (County Clare), Kilfenora — Historic Kilfenora / Cill Fhionnúrach Stairiúil|
| Historic Kilfenora
The monastery of Kilfenora or Chill Fhionnúrach (the church of the white brow) is said to have been founded in the 6th century by St. Fachnan. The outline of the early monastic circular enclosure can still be traced in the curve of the roads to the south and west of the cathedral.
The early history of the site is obscure, with the first historical reference occurring in 1055 when the stone church at the site was burned. The material remains, in particular the group . . . — Map (db m23694) HM|
|Ireland, Munster (County Clare), Kilfenora — Kilfenora Cathedral and High Crosses — Ardeaglais agus Ardchrosanna Chill Fhionnúrach|
| Kilfenora was the diocese of the Kingdom of Corcomroe and was the smallest diocese in medieval Ireland.
Although a monastery was founded here more than 500 years earlier by St Fachtna, Kilfenora only became significant when it was officially recognised as a diocese (a district with its own bishop) in 1152. Because it was a diocese, the church at Kilfenora was called a cathedral. The chancel (the site of the altar at the east end of the church) is now roofless, but . . . — Map (db m22990) HM|
|Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Cobh — Annie Moore Statue|
|Annie Moore and her brothers Anthony and Philip embarked from this town on 20 December, 1891 on the S.S. Nevada. Annie was the first person to be admitted to the United States of America through the new immigration centre at Ellis Island, New York on 1 January, 1892. This sculpture was unveiled by the President of Ireland, Mary Robinson, on 9 February, 1993. It was erected by the Cobh Heritage Trust Ltd. And is dedicated to all who emigrated from Ireland.
This sculpture won the Zeneca . . . — Map (db m85821) HM|
|Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Cobh — Bishop Roche Park/ Cove Fort — Páircan Easpaig De Róiste/Dún An Cóibh — Titanic Memorial Garden|
Cove Fort was built by Vice-Admiral Malcolm, the first Naval Commander of the Navy garrison in Cobh, in the mid 18th Century as a fortification for the garrison. The Fort comprised of a barracks, with 3 tiers of twenty four pounder guns beneath. During part of the 19th Century, a gun was fired daily from the battery at 12 noon G.M.T. which equated to 12.35 local time (locals called it the "25 to 1 Gun"). The British realised the strategic importance of Cork Harbour, and . . . — Map (db m85827) HM|
|Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Cobh — Old Church Cemetery — Titanic Trail — Lusitania Victims Mass Graves|
|This area has been a place of worship and burial from Celtic times to the present day. The great diversity of history and culture of Cobh is reflected on the many headstones and epitaphs of those interred here among them, Jack Doyle, Dr. James Roche Verling, Charles Wolfe and 194 victims of the Lusitania in 3 mass graves and 24 individual plots. — Map (db m85823)|
|Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Cobh — S.S. Lusitania|
| The Cunard Liner, torpedoed and sunk by U Boat U20 off the Cork Coast on 7th May, 1915,
With the loss of 1198 lives.
Many survivors and dead were brought ashore here.
170 of the victims were buried in the nearby
Clonmel (Old Church) Cemetery.
Jerome Connor's Peace Memorial honours the memory of those who helped in the rescue, gave aid & hope to the survivors and buried the dead. — Map (db m85818) HM WM|
|Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Killumney — Bride Park Cottage — Birthplace of Major General Patrick Ronayne Cleburne|
BRIDE PARK COTTAGE
PATRICK RONAYNE CLEBURNE
Confederate States of America
Born March 17, 1828
Killed Nov. 30, 1864
BATTLE OF FRANKLIN, TENNESSEE
Erected by Cleburne's Brigade
March 17, 1994 — Map (db m85650) HM
|Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Anascaul — Jerome Connor — Dealbhoir Cumdubh Abhanascaul — 1876 - 1943|
| The Irish sculptor of international stature was born in Coumduff, Annascaul in 1876. His family emigrated to the USA in 1888 where he developed his artistic skills. He returned to Dublin in 1925, worked there until his death in 1943.
Among Jerome Connor's outstanding works are the Robert Emmet in St. Stephen's Green, Dublin, the Smithsonian Ins, Washington USA, the Lusitania Monument, Cobh, and the Merriot Sq, Dublin. — Map (db m23075) HM|
|Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Anascaul — Tom Crean — Antarctic Explorer — 1877 - 1938|
| Expeditions to Antarctica
Terra Nova, 1910-1013
In recognition of his invaluable
contribution to these expeditions
and of his many acts of
selfless heroism on behalf
of his companions
The Tom Crean Memorial Garden
Gardens Donated by the Crean Family.
Sculptor Eamonn O'Doherty July 2003 — Map (db m23045) HM|
|Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Dunquin — The Blaskets|
| This group, the most westerly off the Irish coast, comprises 7 sizeable islands and isolated rocks spread in a line west by south over 2½ miles of the Atlantic, the largest (Great Blasket) 2 miles off shore.
Antiquities of the early Christian period include oratories, crosses and “beehive” cells on Inis Mhicileáin and Inis Tuaisceart, and church ruins on the Great Blasket.
The economy of the islands, based mainly on fishing with some farming, in 1839 supported 13 . . . — Map (db m24096) HM|
|Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Fahan — Dunbeg Promontory Fort / An Dún Beag|
| Dunbeg Promontory Fort
This Promontory Fort consists of four fosses (ditches) and five mounds. Behind this we have the terraced dry-stone masonry rampart, originally straight but which became curved during later construction work. The entrance is roofed and flanked by two guardrooms. The inner part of the wall is the older, the outer portion being added later to strengthen it. Inside the Fort are the remains of a large Clochaun, internally square on plan. There is a water drain around . . . — Map (db m24780) HM|
|Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Gallarus — Gallarus Oratory / Séipéilín Ghallarais|
| Built around the 7th or 8th century this Oratory resembles an inverted boat. This is the only perfect remaining example of a number of small corbel-built Oratories on a rectangular plan. The outward inclination of the bed joints of the stonework directs the rain to the outside. There are two openings, the western doorway and the eastern window. The doorway has a double lintel, above which project two stones each pierced with a round hole; these may have served for the attachment of a door. The . . . — Map (db m23499) HM|
|Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Kilmalkedar — Kilmalkedar Church / Cill Mhaoilchéadair|
| Kilmalkedar — from Cill Mhaoilchéadair (the Church of Mhaoilchéadair)
Kilmalkedar, one of the most important early church sites on the Dingle peninsula, is traditionally associated with St. Brendan but it was probably founded by St. Maolcethair who died in 636.
The present church, built in the middle of the 12th century, is a fine example of Irish Romanesque architecture. This style was introduced from England and the continent in the early . . . — Map (db m24299) HM|
|Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Listowel — "River Fort"|
| This sculpture was designed by
local councillor and craftsman
The “Standing Stone” illustrates
the River Feale
which flows around our town.
The “Ring” depicts an earthen fort
situated in the vicinity of the town
from which the town got its name
Lios Tuathail (Listowel).
— Map (db m23989) HM|
|Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Listowel — Maid of Erin|
| Work of local man
1846-1921 — Map (db m23698) HM|
|Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Listowel — Teampaillín Bán — (The Little White Churchyard)|
| Where very many
nameless victims of the
Irish Famine of 1845-47
Also buried here are others
in the nearby workhouse
Saibhreas na bhflaitheas dóibh! — Map (db m23042) HM|
|Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Reask — Reask Monastic Site / Láthair Mhainistreach an Riaisc|
| Reask - from An Riasc (the marsh). This important early monastery was probably founded in the 6th century.
Little is known of the history of the site. The enclosing wall is roughly circular and its interior is divided by a curving wall into two parts. In the eastern part is the oratory (a small church) which was made - like all the other buildings on the site - with dry-stone walls with a corbelled roof; no mortar was used to hold the walls together.
Besides . . . — Map (db m24147) HM|
|Ireland, Munster (County Limerick), Abbeyfeale — Reverend William Casey|
| His grateful fellow countrymen at home and beyond the seas have erected this monument to the memory of Rev. William Casey, for a quarter of a century prior to his death, the parish priest of this parish. He found his people struggling in the toils of landlordism: he left them owners of the soil and freemen. By his death, religion lost a shining light; the cause of temperance a strenuous advocate; the poor without distinction of creed, an ever helpful friend; and Ireland a devoted son. But . . . — Map (db m24739) HM|
|Ireland, Munster (County Limerick), Abbeyfeale — Thatched Chapel Cross|
from thatched chapel
where many generations
of Abbeyfeale people
worshipped until St. Mary's
Church was built in 1846 — Map (db m24738) HM|
|Ireland, Munster (County Tipperary), Cashel — St. Patrick's Rock|
|The Rock of Cashel, one of Ireland's most historic sites, was the seat of the kings of Munster from the 4th century until 1101, when it was presented to the Church.
The most important monuments here are:
Cormac's Chapel, built by Cormac Mac Carthaigh, King of Munster, in 1127-34, the most remarkable Romanesque Church in Ireland. St. Patrick's Cathedral, which was built in the 13th century and continued in use until 1748. The Castle, the bishop's residence, where the Earl of Inchiquin . . . — Map (db m78627) HM|
|Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Burt — Grianan Ailligh / Grianán Ailigh|
This large stone-walled fort, located on a hilltop commanding views over Loughs Foyle and Swilly and counties Donegal, Derry and Tyrone, was the royal citadel of the northern Uí Néill from the 5th to the 12th century. It was probably built some time around the birth of Christ. Its builders may have been attracted to this hilltop site by the presence here of a sacred monument - a prehistoric burial mound or tumulus, possibly from the Neolithich period (about 3000 BC).
A lintelled . . . — Map (db m71458) HM|
|Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Carrick — Carrick / An Charraig|
In 1907 a young woman from Carrick, who had emigrated to America was at the centre of a national controversy. Mary Cunningham worked as a domestic servant for the famous sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudins in New Hampshire. It was claimed that Saint-Gaudins used Mary as the model for the new ten-dollar gold coin. At a time when there was still prejudice against the Irish, this caused a national uproar. The critics seemed to have ignored the fact that Saint-Gaudins was himself an Irishman. . . . — Map (db m72266) HM|
|Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Donegal — "The Frenchman's Anchor"|
This Napoleonic anchor and chain from the French frigate Romaine has connections with Napoleon's failed invasion to assist the Irish in the 1798 rebellion, Irish patriot Wolfe Tone's arrest and subsequent death and in later years Admiral Horatio Nelson's famous Battle of Trafalgar.
In September 1798 a small French fleet of about 12 ships and 2,900 troops sailed to Ireland to assist the French General Humbert who had earlier arrived to the Irish in their rebellion. Among the fleet were . . . — Map (db m88327) HM|
|Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Donegal Town — Donegal Castle|
Built in 1474 by Hugh O'Donnell. Destroyed in 1595 by Red Hugh O'Donnell to prevent seizure by the British. Rebuilt circa 1614 by Sir Basil Brook.
[Top view drawing showing evolution of the castle in] 15th century, 17th century, Modern — Map (db m71569) HM|
|Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Donegal Town — 6 — Donegal Castle / Caisleán Dhún na nGall|
Donegal Castle was built by Red Hugh O'Donnell, the young 'Eagle of the North', in the late 15th Century beside the River Eske. During the Plantation of Ulster that followed 'The Flight of the Earls' in 1607, the Castle, historic home of the O'Donnell's, was granted to Captain Basil Brooke who came to Ireland with the English Army in 1598 and fought in Munster. It is generally accepted that Red Hugh O'Donnell, who was proclaimed "The O'Donnell' in 1592, burned the castle to prevent it . . . — Map (db m71570) HM|
|Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Donegal Town — Donegal Friary / Mainistir Dhún na nGall|
Donegal Friary was founded for the Franciscan Friars in 1474 by the first Red Hugh O'Donnell and his wife Nuala O'Brien. It survived until it was plundered by the English in 1588. Four years later, they in turn were driven out by the second Red Hugh (who left Ireland shortly after the battle of Kinsale in 1602), and the friars repaired the buildings. In 1601, during a siege of the friary by English forces - commanded by the renegade Niall Garbh O'Donnell - gunpowder stores exploded and . . . — Map (db m71608) HM|
|Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Donegal Town — 175 — The Franciscan Friary of Donegal|
Founded 1474 and richly endowed by the Lady Nuala O'Connor and the Lady Nuala O'Brien, wives of successive O'Donnell chieftains.
The Friary followed the usual Franciscan layout of church on the south side, with cloisters and conventual buildings to the north. Its present ruinous state dates from 1601 when it was turned into a fortress by Niall Garbh O'Donnell and his English allies and besieged by Red Hugh.
Donegal Friary and its possessions were confiscated in 1607 following the . . . — Map (db m71600) HM|
|Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Letterkenny — Gallaghers Cottage|
At this point once stood the home place of the late Jimmy Gallagher, his wife and family. Jimmy who was an employee of the County Donegal Railway, was a guard on the Letterkenny to Strabane train, when on 11th August 1941, he was fatally injured in a rail accident about 2 miles from Letterkenny. His son Patrick started to work on the railway after his father died, starting as an engine cleaner, then to fireman and finally engine driver. He had the distinction of driving the last steam train . . . — Map (db m71478) HM|
|Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Letterkenny — George Murbury|
Founder of Letterkenny Town
is buried in this graveyard
No. 276 — Map (db m71546) HM|
|Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Letterkenny — The Cathedral Square|
St. Eunan's Cathedral
Work began on Saint Eunan and Saint Colmcille's Catholic Cathedral in 1890. It was designed by William Hague. It is built of white stone from Mountcharles and cost £300,000. The ceilings are the work of Amici of Rome, while the wonderful stained glass windows, which illuminate the Sanctuary and the Lady Chapel, are by the Mayer firm of Munich. The carvings show stories from the lives of Saint Eunan and Colmcille. It was dedicated in 1901. The spire stands at 212 . . . — Map (db m71548) HM|
|Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Slieve League — Chough / Cág Cos-dearg — Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax — Walking Through Donegal / Ag Siúl Tríd Dhún na nGall|
The Chough is called cág cos-dearg in Irish - the red-footed jackdaw. It can be easily recognized by its glossy black coat, its red bill and legs, a sharp shrill call and its acrobatic flight. They normally nest in crevices and caves on rocky cliffs such as those found at Sliabh Liag.
The numbers of Chough in Europe are declining in about 90% of its population range and the Sliabh Liag Cliffs are one of its few remaining strongholds. Reasons for this decline are associated with changes . . . — Map (db m71696) HM|
|Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Slieve League — Farming on Sliabh Liag / Feirmeoireacht ar Shliabh Liag — Walking Through Donegal — Ag Siúl Tríd Dhún na nGall|
Local farmers use the cliffs of Sliabh Liag as a grazing area for sheep. Hardy varieties of sheep suited to harsh mountain environments are raised to produce wool which was traditionally woven locally to produce the world famous Donegal Tweeds.
Baineann ne feirmeoirí áitiúla úsáid as Shlaibh Liag mar thalamh innilte do chaoire. Tógtar caoire de chineáil crua atá fóirsteanach do thimpeallacht sléibhe garbh le olann a shaothrú. Bhíodh an olann seo a sníodh le bréidín cháiliúil Dhún na . . . — Map (db m71630) HM|
|Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Slieve League — Fishing /Iascaireacht — Walking Through Donegal — Ag Siúl Tríd Dhún na nGall|
The sea has always been a central part of the lives of the people who live in this area. Fishing once provided an important source of income for many local families. However, today the industry is in steady decline. Donegal Bay, once busy with boats of all sizes, now supports only minimal fishing activity.
Is páirt lárnach do shaol na ndaoine a chónaíonn sa cheantar seo an fharraige. Chuidigh an teacht isteach ó thionscal na h-iascaireachta go mór le mórán de na teaghlaigh áitiúla lá den . . . — Map (db m71644) HM|
|Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Slieve League — Signal Towers / Túir Comharthaíochta — Walking Through Donegal — Ag Siúl Tríd Dhún na nGall|
Signal Towers can be found all around the coast of Ireland and date from the period around 1800. They were built as an early warning system to guard against invasion by France during the reign of Napoleon Bonaparte. Located on headlands, which had good views of the surrounding sea, they were in sight of similar installations to allow signaling between them. The tower visible here at Carrigan Head was built around 1805.
Tá Túir Comharthaíochta le fail thart ar chósta uile na h-Éireann . . . — Map (db m71669) HM|
|Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Slieve League — The Bog / An Portach — Walking Through Donegal — Ag Siúl Tríd Dhún na nGall|
The principal fuel for heating homes in this area has always been turf, which is cut out of the bog. Cutting the turf begins around April or May when wet sods are spread on the surface to begin drying. These are then 'footed' into small piles to dry thoroughly. Once dried the turf can then be transported home in time for the winter.
The remains of old turf workings are very evident in this area and can be recognized as banks and steps across the landscape.
Ba í móin an príomh ábhar . . . — Map (db m71668) HM|
|Ireland, Ulster (County Monaghan), Clones — Clones Round Tower, Cross and Church — Cros, Eaglais agus Cloigtheach Chluain Eois|
These features were part of a monastery founded by St Tighearnach at the beginning of the 6th century. The 10th or 11th century Round Tower, the monastery's bell-tower, is the oldest surviving building on the site. Close by, in the graveyard, is a stone shrine, shaped like a church, with a worn carving of a bishop at one end. It is known as St Tighearnach's Shrine, and was probably erected in the 12th century. The head and shaft of the High Cross which now stands in the centre of the town . . . — Map (db m72654) HM|
|Ireland, Ulster (County Monaghan), Clones — High Cross / Ardchros Cluain Eois — Clones - Historic Town / Cluain Eois, Baile Scairiúil|
This is a 10th century Ulster Scripture Cross. Cap-stone, Head & Shaft are all from different periods. However, the main shaft is dated as above. Originally a termon or boundary cross marking monastic lands limit.
Also used as a teaching aid by the monks. Picture Panels depict New and Old Testament scenes. Crosses may have been of timber construction before coming of Vikings.
Picture panels. Read from bottom to top.
New Testament - Adoration of Magi, Wedding Feast of Cana, Loaves & . . . — Map (db m73258) HM|
|Ireland, Ulster (County Monaghan), Clones — Remains of St Tiernach|
Here lie the remains of
Of the Royal House of Oriel.
First Abbot of Clones Monastry [sic]
Bishop of Clogher.
500 AD to 4th April 548. — Map (db m73277) HM|
|Ireland, Ulster (County Monaghan), Clones — Round Tower / Cloigtheach Chluain Eois — Clones - Historic Town / Cluain Eois, Baile Scairiúil|
One of the earliest examples of a round Tower. Probably built in the 10th century. The base shows evidence of attempts to destroy by burning.
The Tower lost its conical cap between 1591 and 1741. Four top windows face the cardinal points. Old Irish name "Cloig Teach" meaning Bell House refers to original use.
Present height of Tower approx. 70ft. Circumference 50ft. Wall Thickness 3ft.-6in. Height of door 5ft.-4.5in. Originally 5 floors carried on offsets & joists. Single window . . . — Map (db m73266) HM|
|Ireland, Ulster (County Monaghan), Clones — The Sarcophagus / Sarcofagas Thighearnaigh Naofa — Clones - Historic Town / Cluain Eois, Baile Scairiúil|
Twelfth century representation of an early Christian Church. Carved from a single block of sandstone. Originally made to contain a relic possibly of Saint Tiernach. Carving on surface severely weathered.
Position of Sarcophagus probably in the area of the high Altar of the "Great Church of Clones" which was demolished during the Nine Years War.
More recently the tomb under Sarcophagus used as a burial place for McMahon and McDonald senior family members. Each family disputed others . . . — Map (db m73272) HM|