“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Search Results
Italy, Campania (Naples Province), Pompei — Pompei Giubileo [Pompeii Jubilee] 2000Edifici Privati/Private Buildings
[Text in Italian …] Text in English: The destructive fury of Vesuvius raged the 24th August in 79 a.C. Buried under three metres of ash, Pompeii suddenly stopped living. From the Forum to the Temple of Iside; from the House of the Faun to the Barracks of the Gladiators; thousands of bodies lay on the ground: slaves and merchants, women, children and rich landowners. After sleeping for centuries, the buried city sees light again: the dawning of the most exciting archaeological . . . — Map (db m48081) HM
Italy, Campania (Naples Province), Pompei — Teatro Grande e Quadriportico/Great Theatre and Quadriporticus — Pompeiviva
Il Teatro Grande fu costruito nel II secolo II a.C., addossando la struttura ad una collina lavica e ristrutturato in epoca augustea. La cavea costituita da gradini in tufo o calcare, ospitava circa 5000 persone in tre zone separate da corridoi anulari: l’inferiore (ima cavea), l’intermia (media cavea) e la superior (suma cavea). Alle estremita della gradinata vi erano I palchi d’onore, I tribunalia; al centro l’orchestra e alle spalle il proskenion (podio del palcoscenico) con sullo sfondo . . . — Map (db m47980) HM
Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Castel Gandolfo — World’s First Mailbox
Città di Castel Gandolfo Il 23 Novembre 1820 Il Consiglio Comunale di Castel Gandolfo Composto da Paolo Mallozzi - Luogotenente Marco Troiani - Capo Pretore Candido Marazzi - Pretore Filippo Albenzi - Pretore E dai consiglieri Stefano Evangelisti · Giuseppe Togni · Giuseppe Bernini Giuseppe di Lucia · Francesco Marroni · Vincenzo Stazi Giuseppe Manufelli · Giuseppe Gasperini · Domenico Lolli Luca Campodonico · Francesco Alberti · Angelo Antonio . . . — Map (db m32347) HM
Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Anfiteatro Flavio/The Flavian Amphitheatre
L’Anfiteatro Flavio, grande edificio pubblico destinato a spettacoli di enorme popolarita, quali le cacce e I combattimenti gladiatori, fu edificato, in luogo del lago atificiale dela Domus Aurea neronicana, dagli imperatori della dinastia Flavia. Il nome originale, Amphitheatrum o Amphitheatrum magnum, fu sostituito nell’Alto Medioevo da Colysaeum, probabilmente per la contiguita co il celeberrimo Colosso eretto da Nerone. La costruzione dell’Anfiteatro inizio ne 72 d.C. e fu . . . — Map (db m47676) HM
Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Tabernae at the Front of the Basilica AemiliaTabernae sul Fronte della Basilica Aemilia

Tabernae at the Front of the Basilica Aemilia The Basilica Aemilia faces the Forum with a double order portico: the three granite columns were raised during reconstruction work in the late empire. Behind the portico is a row of shops in tuff blocks, forming two groups of six around the entrance. These are the tabernae novae, pre-dating the basilica and incorporated into it.

Tabernae sul Fronte della Basilica Aemilia La basilica Emilia è . . . — Map (db m84409) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — 13th Century St. Gregory Monastery Cross-stone

Cross-stone, XIII c., Armenia, Lori Region, St. Gregory Monastery

Gift of the Republic of Armenia to the city of Rome symbolizing the eternal friendship between the Armenian and Italian people.

13 December 2011, Rome — Map (db m86202) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Altar of Caesar / Ara di Cesare

Altar of Caesar ... deposed (beyond bare Caesar) in the Forum, where the palace the ancient Romans is, and you piled on tables, seats and the other timber was there ... ro lit the fire and all the people stood to the axes bonfire at night. In that place first was erected an altar, now there is the temple of Caesar himself, in which he is revered as a god

Ara di Cesare ...deposero (là spoglia di Cesare) nel Foro, la dove è l'antica reggia dei Romani, e vi accumularono sopra . . . — Map (db m84379) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Arch of Constantine
IMP • CAES • FL • CONSTANTINO • MAXIMO • P • F • AVGUSTO • S • P • Q • R • QVOD • INSTINCTV • DIVINITATIS • MENTIS • MAGNITVDINE • CVM • EXERCITV • SVO • TAM • DE • TYRANNO • QVAM • DE • OMNI • EIVS • FACTIONE • VNO • TEMPORE • IVSTIS • REM-PVBLICAM • VLTVS • EST • ARMIS • ARCVM • TRIVMPHIS • INSIGNEM • DICAVIT [English trans.:] To the Emperor Caesar Flavius Constantinus, the greatest, pious, and blessed Augustus: because he, inspired by the divine, and by the greatness of his . . . — Map (db m47768) HM
Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Arch of Titus / Arco di Tito

Arch of Titus The inscription records the dedication of this arch by the Senate and people of Rome to the emperor after his victory over Judea (AD 70). Scenes from the conquest are sculpted on the inside: one panel shows the procession with the booty taken from Jerusalem, including the seven-branched candlestick; on the other is Titus on his chariot, followed by Victory and personifications of the people and the Senate; on the outside is the procession of the defeated Jews. In the . . . — Map (db m84024) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Archaic Burial Ground / Sepolcreto Arcaico

Archaic Burial Ground Numerous tombs dating to between the 9th and 7th centuries BC were excavated in this area in 1902, with two types of burials: cremations and inhumations. The former, the oldest tombs, usually contained a funerary urn in the form of a hut with the remains of the deceased; in the inhumations the body was buried directly in the earth or in wooden or tufa coffins. The funerary equipment found in the tombs (clay and bucchero vessels, bronze jewellery) is held in the . . . — Map (db m84349) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Basilica Aemilia Entablature / Trabeazione

The lower order entablature of Basilica Aemilia ------- Trabeazione dell'ordine inferiore della basilica emilia — Map (db m84456) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Buildings Opening Onto The Via NovaAmbienti Aperti Sulla Via Nova

Buildings Opening Onto The Via Nova The buildings that fronted the imperial Via Nova date from the Flavian to the Severan period. They were mostly shops and service structures, but there were also two-storey homes with traces remaining of wall-paintings and fragments of black and white mosaic floors. Basins and benches for work purposes found on lower floors provide evidence for the utilitarian function of some of the buildings. The arches that spanned the street can be dated to the . . . — Map (db m84269) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Church of Our Lady of VictoryChiesa di Santa Maria della Vittoria — Architetti: C. Maderno, G. L. Bernini, G. B. Soria, G. B. Contini

Church of Our Lady of Victory The Church of Santa Maria della Vittoria stands in the former Via Pia (now Via XX Settembre); its name comes from an image of the Madonna found among the remains of the Castello di Pilsen, thought to have determined the victory of Ferdinand IInd of Habsburg over the Lutherans of Frederick of Saxony in 1620. It was built in the early XVIIth cent., after the Barefoot Carmelites had settled where the ancient hermitage had stood; it was commissioned by . . . — Map (db m84465) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Church of the Most Holy Trinity of the MountainsChiesa della Santissima Trinita' dei Monti — Architettura: G. della Porta, A. Lippi, G. Caronica, G. A. Dosio

Church of the Most Holy Trinity of the Mountains The SS. Trinità dei Monti with its monastery annex was commissioned in 1502 by Louis XIIth as a church for the French Royal Family. The idea of a church on the Pincio had been promoted by Charles VIIIth in 1494 (approved the following year by Pope Alexander VIth), with the intention of giving it to French monks of the Order of St. Francis of Paola. Building continued throughout the whole of the XVIth cent. and the church was . . . — Map (db m84548) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Domus Augustana. Upper Peristyle / Peristilio Superiore

Domus Augustana. Upper Peristyle The ground floor of the “private” sector of the palace was arranged around a porticoed courtyard with coloured marble columns, identical to that in the “public” sector; at the centre was a large pool within which a small temple was built at a later period, accessed from a small bridge on arches. At the sides of the peristyle were various living and banqueting rooms, some of which still bear traces of their fine coloured marble . . . — Map (db m84197) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Domus Flavia, so-called Lararium / Cd. Larario

Domus Flavia. So-called, Lararium The smaller room next to the so-called Audience Chamber is known as the Lararium because when it was discovered it had a podium at the back – accessible from two small staircases and clad in coloured marbles – interpreted as an altar for the domestic cult of the emperor’s Lares. The room’s function remains uncertain. Behind it is a chamber with two flights of stairs leading out of it: one up to the upper floor of the palace and the . . . — Map (db m84111) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Domus Flavia. Peristyle / Peristilio

Domus Flavia. Peristyle At the centre of the "public" sector of the palace was a porticoed courtyard (peristyle) with columns in pink marble and capitals in white marble. At its sides were living and dining rooms, some of which have the typical recess in the walls where couches (triclinia) were placed. There was a pool in the courtyard with an octagonal island that may have hosted a sculptural fountain surrounded by a maze of channels. We know that Domitian enjoyed strolling . . . — Map (db m84247) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Domus Flavia. So-called Basilica / Cd. Basilica

Domus Flavia. So-called Basilica The so-called Basilica takes its name from the architecture of its interior, typical of basilicas: it was divided into three halls by coloured marble columns with an apse at the end closed by a balustrade. Traces of the marble veneer survive on the walls and part of the floor made of large slabs of coloured marble was preserved until the 19th century. A modern staircase leads to a room beneath, covered by the palace, known as the "Hall of Isis" and . . . — Map (db m84255) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Domus Flavia. So-called. Audience ChamberDomus Flavia. Cd. Aula Regia

Domus Flavia. So-called. Audience Chamber The largest room, probably reserved for audiences with the emperor, is traditionally known as the Audience Chamber. It was of exceptional size (1280 sq m.) and had a complex architectural decoration of which many features survive. Eight niches for colossal statues opened into the walls: two were recovered intact in 1724, a Hercules and a Bacchus in green basalt, whilst only the head of a Jupiter was found. The niches were inside bays and framed . . . — Map (db m84249) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Evangelical Methodist Church World War I MemorialChiesa Evangelica Metodisti Memoriale la Prima Guerra Mondiale

Al Methodisti Caduti in Guerra MCMXV - MCMXVIII

[Roll of Honored Dead] — Map (db m84590) WM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Forum Square

The large paved square at the centre of the Forum, the main space used for public assemblies, remained almost empty of buildings throughout the Republican period (5th-1st centuries BC). During the empire, as its importance decreased with the opening of the imperial Forums, monuments of various types were built in the area. The paving - reconstructed several times over the centuries - originally consisted of travertine slabs held together with lead grapples; the remains of a surviving . . . — Map (db m84411) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Gomez Palace Stables / Scuderie di Palazzo Gomez(G.A. de Rossi, 1678 - G. Valadier, 1794) — Antiques wine cellar

Above the late Renaissance brick valuts [sic - vaults] of an old wine cellar, in 1678, the "Scuderie" of Palazzo GOMEZ [Gomez Palace Stables] were built by the architect G.A. De Rossi, one of the main exponent[s] of the Roman Baroque [style].

The CONTI family of Amatrice, a Sabine branch of a very ancient Roman family of Hosts and Masters, renovated the place where the Mediterranean wines arrived from the near Port of Ripetta to be distributed to the hinterland and from where the local . . . — Map (db m86222) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Hotel Tiziano

The building hosting the Hotel Tiziano was reconstructed in Corso Vittorio Emanuele II between the years 1886 and 1888 by an architect native of the Ticino region but Roman of birth and culture, Gaetano Koch (1849-1910). The elegant building was once property of the marchese Francesco Lavaggi of the noble Sicilian family, subsequently related with the Pacelli, to whom it belonged during the 19th century reconstruction. The palazzetto overlooks Corso Vittorio Emanuele, i.e. the main . . . — Map (db m89063) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — House of the Griffins / Casa Dei Grifi

House of the Griffins A steep staircase, part of which is ancient, leads from the back of the so-called Lararium to the underground floor of a house dating to the 2nd-1st century BC. Though partly destroyed by the foundations of the palace above, it gives some idea of the type of aristocratic residence which stood on the Palatine in the Republican period. The house had two storeys: on the ground floor a few remains of the atrium with its pool in peperino and coloured mosaics survive; . . . — Map (db m84245) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Imperial Palace

Imperial Palace The imperial palace stands on the summit of the Palatine and extends to its slopes, occupying much of the hill. It was built by the architect Rabirius on the orders of Domitian (AD 81-96) and inaugurated in AD 92; it was the official residence of all later emperors. The palace was divided into three sectors: an official or “public” area (the so-called Domus Flavia), a sector hosting private apartments (the so-called Domus Augustana) and a large garden in the . . . — Map (db m84136) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Neronian Cryptoporticus / Criptoportico Neroniano

Neronian Cryptoporticus The Cryptoporticus is one of the most distinctive monuments of the Palatine. It is an underground corridor, 130 metres in length, illuminated by basement windows. It connects the south side of the Domus Tiberiana to the so-called House of Livia. This covered passageway served to link the different parts of the imperial Palace in the Julio-Claudian period. Originally the vault was covered with fine white stucco, depicting cupids within decorative frames. Only a . . . — Map (db m84256) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Neronian Foundations / Fondazioni Neroniane

Neronian Foundations The concrete foundations that run from the Forum around the corner towards the Palatine, alongside the Arch of Titus, probably pertain to the enormous portico that, according to the ancient sources, Nero had constructed as the vestibule of his Domus Aurea. It extended for a length of c. 300 metres from the Forum to the area of the Temple of Venus and Roma, and enclosed the colossal statue of Nero, 120 ft. (c. 35 metres) high, that rose in the location where the . . . — Map (db m84161) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Neronian Foundations / Fondazioni Neroniane

Neronian Foundations The concrete foundations that run from the Forum around the corner towards the Palatine, alongside the Arch of Titus, probably pertain to the enormous portico that, according to the ancient sources, Nero had constructed as the vestibule of his Domus Aurea. It extended for a length of c. 300 metres from the Forum to the area of the Temple of Venus and Roma, and enclosed the colossal statue of Nero, 120 ft. (c. 35 metres) high, that rose in the location where the . . . — Map (db m84324) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — North Facade of the Domus TiberianaFronte Nord Della Domus Tiberiana

North Facade of the Domus Tiberiana The high multi-storey arcades that look out over the Roman Forum were constructed by the emperor Hadrian in order to extend the facade of the Domus Tiberiana to the Via Nova in an architecturally splendid manner. Tiberius's palace was the first of the imperial residences on the Palatine to have a unified plan; although the remains of this residence on the slope of the hill are imposing, these made up just the support platform for Hadrian's later . . . — Map (db m84294) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Nymphaeum and Adjoining Cisterns / Ninfeo e Annesse Cisterne

Nymphaeum and Adjoining Cisterns The short northern side of the "Stadium" - above some service rooms - ended in a square room with niches decorated with statues and fountains fed by a complex system of water pipes. Some large cisterns in the underground area to the rear, already known in the Renaissance and drawn by Pirro Ligorio, ensured a water supply to the Flavian palace. A branch of the Claudian aqueduct (Aqua Claudia), which ran from the Caelian Hill to this part of the . . . — Map (db m84163) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Palatine Museum / Museo Palatino

Palatine Museum The Palatine Museum displays precious finds from excavations on the hill from the 19th century until the present. It was opened in around 1930, re-adapting the 19th-century Convent of the Sisters of the Visitation, in turn built on part of the imperial palace. On the underground storey of the museum the various phases of the palace foundations can be seen, whilst the upper floor hosts an exhibition of finds belonging to the sculptural decorations of the palaces, whose . . . — Map (db m84230) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Pamphilj Palace on Navona SquarePalazzo Pamphilj a Piazza Navona — built 16th-17th centuries / secc. XVI-XVII

Architetti [Architects]: F. Borromini (1599-1667) G. Rainaldi (1570-1655) C. Rainaldi (1611-1690) Affreschi [Frescoes]: P. da Cortona (1596-1669) G. Brandi (1621-1691) F. Allegrini (1615/20-post 1679) G. Gimignani (1606-1681) A. Camassei (1602-1649) G. Dugher (1615-1675)

Franceso Borromini played a leading role in the ambitious project for the reorganisation of Piazza Navona, with the Pamphilj family residence and the new Church of St. Agnese in Agone [St. Agnes in . . . — Map (db m86173) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Regia

Located near the temple of Vesta, the Regia is believed to have been built by king Numa Pompilius as the place where the kings of Rome exercised their political and religious power. The plan resembles that of archaic houses and its royal nature is attested by the rich architectural terracottas found here. Excavations have identified five different construction phases dating to between the 7th and 6th century BC when the building took on its definitive appearance. Consisting of three rooms . . . — Map (db m84370) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Rione / District X Campitelli

The zone, which is named after the Piazza Campitelli, holds the sites which witnessed the birth of Rome: the municipal castle on the Campidoglio Hill (Arx), formerly the seat of the government, of the civil institutions and of the State Archives (Tabularium), plus some of the more important religious buildings (for example, the Temple of the Capitoline Triade, the Palatine Hill, formerly a residential area which, beginning in the 1st century AD, became the site of the imperial palaces; . . . — Map (db m84523) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Roman Forum

The Roman Forum lies in the valley surrounded by the Palatine, Capitoline and Esquiline hills. In the Republican period (5th-1st centuries BC) this was the political, economic, religious and commercial heart of ancient Rome. In the 9th-8th centuries BC when the city was made up of independent villages, the area was occupied by the cemeteries of the various settlements. Later, the villages began to merge and the Forum valley naturally became the place where their inhabitants met for . . . — Map (db m84375) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Roman Forum

The Roman Forum retained its importance especially during the Republican period (5th-1st centuries BC), when the valley gradually filled with public buildings whose remains are still preserved. These buildings, which almost always originally had a timber frame and brick facing, were reconstructed on various occasions, in part because they were frequently destroyed by fire or civil strife. It was this unplanned continuity of its buildings over time which gave the Roman Forum its typically . . . — Map (db m84377) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Roman Forum. History of the Excavations

Although the Forum was "rediscovered" in the Renaissance, scientific interest in the area only began in the late 18th century. This led in the 19th century to systematic explorations by illustrious archaeologists, including Carlo Fea, Antonio Nibby, Pietro Rosa and Guiseppe Fiorelli. Earthworks brought back to light the ancient ground level of the Forum, a few metres beneath that of the surrounding city.

The most extensive excavations were undertaken in the early years of the 20th . . . — Map (db m84407) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Shrine of Venus Cloacina / Sacello di Venere Cloacina

Shrine of Venus Cloacina The circular base is placed above a tuff structure set into the ground, located where the Cloaca Maxima enters the Forum. This is the shrine dedicated to Venus Cloacina, containing two statues with the symbols of Venus. According to tradition the young Virginia was murdered here by her brother to prevent her falling into the hands of the decemvir Appius Claudius. The shrine was also used for the ritual purifications of the Roman and Sabine . . . — Map (db m84449) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — So-Called Carcer / Cosiddetto Carcer

So-Called Carcer The three small rooms opening onto a corridor with walls made of large tufa blocks and travertine door and window frames are generally ascribed to a Carcer; this is an error as tradition attests the existence of only one prison in Rome, the Tullianum on the slopes of the Capitolline Hill. Thought by some to be a brothel, these are probably the service rooms of a Roman house, perhaps used as a cellar or to house slaves.

Considdetto . . . — Map (db m84347) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — So-Called Temple of Romulus / Tempio Detto di Romolo

So-Called Temple of Romulus On the basis of a depiction on a coin this building - unusual in shape for Roman architecture - is identified as the temple built by the emperor Maxentius in AD 307 in honour of his son who died in childhood. The circular building is flanked by two apsidal halls opening onto the front with little porticoes decorated with porphyry columns. The bronze door is original and the lock still works. Pope Felix V turned the monument into the vestibule of the Church . . . — Map (db m84332) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — St. Regis GrandArchitetto: Guilio Podesti (1857 - 1909)

The Grand Hotel of Rome has recently been bought and refurbished by a multinational company which has named it the St. Regis Grand. Conceived by the renowned hotelier César Ritz at the suggestion of the then Italian Prime Minister, Marquis Rudinì, the Hotel was built in 1890 in the area bordered by the central Termini Station, Via XX Settembre and Piazza Esedra (now Piazza della Repubblica), in a[n] area of prime importance for urban planning. Here many different transport routes . . . — Map (db m85951) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Temple of Antoninus and FaustinaTempio di Antonio e Faustina

Temple of Antoninus and Faustina The temple - as indicated by the inscription - was dedicated by the Senate to Faustina in AD 141 and, when he died, to her husband the emperor Antoninus Pius (138-161 AD). The long walls of the cella, in square pererino blocks, were originally covered in marble. At the centre of the staircase, added later, are the remains of an altar. The statue visible behind the six columns of the facade probably belonged to the temple, which in the Middle Ages . . . — Map (db m84366) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — The Octagonal Fountain of the Domus FlaviaLa Fontana Ottagona Della Domus Flavia

The Octagonal Fountain of the Domus Flavia The great peristyle of the Domus Flavia – the public part of the structure – had at its centre an octagonal fountain taking the form of a labyrinth, a very ancient motif.

The Gardens of the Augustan period were limited for the most part by the small spaces available within peristyles and also well-documented in detail by surviving paintings. In contrast, the broader green spaces that lay within the imperial palaces were . . . — Map (db m84251) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — The Palatine "Stadium" / "Stadio" Palatino

The Palatine "Stadium" This area provides a view from above of the “Stadium”, an important sector of the Flavian Palace which is never given this name in the ancient sources. In fact it was a garden, more specifically a hippodromus, the word with which it was described by late authors. Hippodromes, originally areas where horses were exercised, came to be, in Rome, elongated rectangular spaces with paths and flower-beds. Deriving from the Greek gymnasiums, these were . . . — Map (db m84195) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — The Spanish Steps / La Scalinata di Trinità dei Monti

The Spanish Steps Built between 1723 and 1726 following the project of the architect Francesco De Sanctis (1693-1740), the Spanish Steps (Scalinata di Trinità dei Monti) link the Church of Trinità dei Monti located on the slopes of Pincian Hill with the underneath Piazza di Spagna. The fountain Barcaccia was built here in 1626-29 by Pietro Bernini and his son Gianlorenzo.

The idea of building a stairs linking the Pincian Hill to the square, in order to cross the drop between them, . . . — Map (db m84492) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — The 'Stadium' / Lo 'Stadio'

The 'Stadium' The so-called Stadium, another important area of the Flavian Palace, was in fact a huge rectangular garden area with a hemicycle at one end.

The Garden was enclosed by a portico and its perimeter was marked out by a track running around it, with smaller paths and flower beds branching out from this track. The perimeter track (gestatio) was intended as a promenade route for people on foot, in a litter or even a carriage, something attested by the writers Martial . . . — Map (db m84166) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — The Trevi-Pantheon Route
[Text in Italian: …] Text in English: The Trevi-Pantheon Route forms part of a narrow and winding itinerary which begins in Piazza Farnese and arrives at the slopes of the Quirinale, the route includes the open spaces and the grand monuments of the ancient Campo Mareno. Its appearance today is the result of a long process of transformation which can be divided into two principal phases. During the first phase, the Medieval city settled into the empty spaces left by the . . . — Map (db m46858) HM
Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — The Upper Peristyle of the Domus AugustanaIl Peristilio Superiore Della Domus Augustana

The Upper Peristyle of the Domus Augustana Set within the great rectangular basin, with its complex articulated edges, was a miniature temple on a podium. This could be accessed by means of a small bridge supported on small arches, probably added at a later period.

The function of this little structure is not entirely clear. Almost certainly it was a shrine of some kind, but there are other theories that it was a small place of retreat for the emperor, or some kind of water . . . — Map (db m84198) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Via Nova

The name Via Nova is generally applied to the stretch of road that runs in a straight line along the north-west slope of the Palatine, almost parallel to the Via Sacra. All the literary sources that mention the Via Nova date to the Republican and Augustan periods, but the paved road that can be seen today relates to urban developments in the early imperial period, probably in the reign of Nero. Recent excavations have confirmed that the paved road was laid over earlier remains, . . . — Map (db m84268) HM

Italy, Lazio (Rome Province), Rome — Vittorio Emanuele II — [Capitoline Hill]
Monumento a Vittorio Emanuele II secc. XIX-XX Architetti: G. Sacconi, P. Piacentini, G. Koch, M. Manfredi Renderings of the Monument: Pianta * Sezione longitudianle * Prospeto [Left column - Text in Italian…] Right column - Text in English: The Monument to Vittorio Emanuele IInd is situated in the Campitelli district which was the site of many great undertakings throughout the centuries. Nowadays, not many people actually live here, for . . . — Map (db m47437) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Bolzano — Cathedral (Parish Church of Our Lady of the Assumption)Duomo (Chiesa parrocchiale di S. Maria Assunta) — Dom (Stadtpfarrkirche Maria Himmelfahrt)
The text of this marker is in three languages; Italian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Chiesa parrocchiale di impianto romanico eretta nei secoli XIII e XIV sul luogo di una basilica paleocristiana (V-VI sec.) e di una chiesa altomedievale (IX sec.). Fu ampliata e modificata in stile gotico (XIV-XVI sec). Il campanile con cuspide a traforo tardogotica è opera del maestro svevo Hans Lutz di Schussenried (1519). All’interno affreschi gotici, pulpito in arenaria grigia . . . — Map (db m68736) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Bolzano — Dominican Church and MonasteryChiesa e Convento dei Domenicani — Kirche und Kloster der Dominikaner
The text of this marker is in three languages; Italian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Complesso conventuale de Domenicani, documentati a Bolzano dal 1272, profondamente modificato dopo la secolarizzazione nel 1785. La chiesa di impianto gotico conserva affreschi trecenteschi, cora con stucchi rococò e pala del Guercino (1655). La cappella S. Giovanni è interamente affrescata da pittori giotteschi (1330). Nel chiostro dipinti trecenteschi e affreschi di F. Pacher e di S. . . . — Map (db m68730) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Bolzano — First World War Military Hospital
Questo edificio, già convento dei padri Domenicani dal 1276 al 1790, venne adibito durante la prima guerra mondaile ad imperial-regio ospedale militare. Il Capitano Medico Dr. Lorenz Böhler, VI fondo nell’agosto del 1916 la moderna traumatologia. Dieses Gebäude, von 1276 bis 1790 Dominikanerkloster, diente im 1. Weltkrieg als K.u.K. Kriegslazarett. Hier bergündete im August 1916 der Regimentsarzt Dr. Lorenz Böhler die moderne unfallchirurgie. Italian/German – English . . . — Map (db m68733) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Bolzano — Franciscan MonasteryChiesa e Convento dei Francescani — Kirche und Kloster der Franziskaner
The text of this marker is in three languages; Italian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Complesso conventuale dei Francescani, documenti a Bolzano dal 1237, sorto su un terreno del Vescovo di Bressanone attorno all’antica cappella de S. Ingenuino. Dopo l’incendio del 1291, la chiesa viene ricostruita in forme gotiche: il coro e il campanile sono del XIV sec., il soffitto a volte risale alla metà del XV sec. All’interno altare a portelle di H. Klocker (1500). Nel . . . — Map (db m68727) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Bolzano — Mercantile PalacePalazzo Mercantile — Merkantilgebäude
The text of this marker is in three languages; Italian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Antica sede del Magistrato Mercantile, organo giurisdizionale dell’atività fieristica di Bolzano intituito nel 1635 dall’arciduchessa Claudia de’ Medici. L’attuale edificio (1708-1731) è opera dei fratelli Delai su progetto dell’architetto veronese F. Perotti. Già sede della Camera di Commercio, ospita oggi il Museo Mercantile con collezioni di documenti, dipiti e arredi dei secoli XVII . . . — Map (db m68724) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Bolzano — Neptune’s FountainFontana del Nettuno — Neptun-Brummen
The text of this marker is in three languages; Italian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Fusione in bronzo di Joachim Reiss, su modello dello scultore Georg Mayr. Collacata nel 1777 sul luogo dell’antica berlina, veniva popolarmente chiamata “Gabelwirt” (oste del forchettone). Bronzefigur von Joachim Reiss, gegossen nach einem Modell des Bildhaueers Georg Mayr d.J. Das im Volksmund als „Gabel wirt“ bezeichnete Werk wurde 1777 an der Stelle des . . . — Map (db m68726) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Bolzano — Residence of the Troilo FamilyResidenza Troilo — Troyburg
The text of this marker is in three languages; Italian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Edificio di impianto tardo-medievale amplliato nel tardo Cinquecento, originaria dimora dell’omonima famiglia di mercanti roveretani. Conserva in facciata decorazioni sovrapposte dei secoli XV, XVII e XVIII. Ansitz de Kaufmannsfamilie Troilo aus Rovereto. Spätmittelalterliches, gegen Ende des 16. Jh. erweitertes Gebäude. An der Fassade mehrere Schichten mit Malereien aus . . . — Map (db m68725) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Bolzano — The Church of the Sacred Heart of JesusChiesa del Sacro Cuore — Herz-Jesu-Kirche
The text of this marker is in three languages; Italian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Chiesa neoromanica a tre navate (1897-1899), construita assieme all’annesso convento su progetto dell’architetto J. Bittner in occasione del centenario del voto dei Tirolesi al Sacro Cuore per l’adorazione del SS. Sacramento. Sulla facciata mosaico di I. Stolz (1910). All’interno affreschi e arredi del tempo. Dreischiffige neuromanische Kirche, die 1897-1899 zusammen mit dem . . . — Map (db m68729) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Kastelruth — Josef Riehl
Erbauer der Strasse Waidbruck-Kastelruth im Jahre 1887 Kastelruth 30.August 1987 Engish translation: Joseph Riehl Builder of the Waidbruck-Kastelruth Road in the year 1887 Kastelruth 30.August 1987 — Map (db m69173) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Ortisei — Ortisei War Memorial
This marker is in three languages; Ladin, the local language of South Tyrol, German and Italian. (Ladin) La capela di turnei foya unida fata su do la Prima Gran Viera sciche luech de lecort per i 96 saudeies dla pluania de Urtijëi turnei o nia plu ruvei a cësa. Do la Segonda Gran Viera fova unic juntei pro i 83 inuemes de saudeies tumei o nia plu ruvei de reviers danter l 1939 y l 1945. La ciampana sun chësta capela ie na copia dl „cuse da Sacun”, coche chëi de Ghërdeina ti a . . . — Map (db m69172) HM WM
60 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 

More Search Options
Near You


States & Provinces

Click to List


Page composed
in 449 ms.

To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.