|Netherlands Antilles, Sint Maarten, Philipsburg — Dr Albert Claudius ("Claude") Wathey — July 24, 1926 - January 8, 1999|
|Albert Claudius Wathey, simply "Claude" to everyone, was no doubt the most dominant political figure on the island in the last century. The legendary leader was in power for almost 40 years, during which time St. Maarten was
transformed from a sleepy backwater island whose inhabitants had to emigrate elsewhere to find work, into one of the leading tourist destinations in the Caribbean, attracting over a million visitors annually, including a very significant number of cruise passengers as . . . — Map (db m40384) HM|
|Netherlands Antilles, Sint Maarten, Philipsburg — Frontstreet Merchants — Home and Business — Historic Sint Maarten Remembered|
|The deep roof structures combined with a wood shingle exterior on these buildings typify many of the beautiful and historic homes found in the quaint town of Philipsburg at the turn of the century. Buildings such as these doubled as homes and stores for St. Maarten's well to do merchants.
One by one these masterpieces of bygone architecture were torn down to make way for more modern multistore structures to meet the growing demand for space in the heart of town. New zoning laws introduced . . . — Map (db m40498) HM|
|Netherlands Antilles, Sint Maarten, Philipsburg — Historic Sint Maarten Remembered — "Peg Leg Pete"|
|Pieter Stuyvesant was the last Governor of the Dutch colony of New Netherland (now New York), from 1646 until its surrender to the English in 1664. He was born in the Dutch province of Friesland in 1611 or 1612. After studying languages and philosophy for two years at the University of Franeker, he joined the Dutch W.I.C. (West India Company). In 1638 he was sent to Curacao. He was appointed commercial director in 1642. In 1644 Stuyvesant recieved orders to recapture Sint Maarten which had . . . — Map (db m40330) HM|
|Netherlands Antilles, Sint Maarten, Philipsburg — John Philip Frederick Craane — a.k.a. Boechi|
|This building is dedicated to John P.F. Craane, affectionately known as "Boechi." Born November 24,1913. Boechi spent most of his life working on or around boats. His love for boats was greatly influenced by his father, who was a well-known boat builder on the island of Bonaire.
As a young boy, Boechi worked with his father, helping to build boats after school. As a young man, he captained several of the boats his father had built, including the Endeavour and Rainbow.
In 1954 Boechi was . . . — Map (db m40591) HM|
|Netherlands Antilles, Sint Maarten, Philipsburg — Sint Rose Hospital — Gone but not Forgotten — Sint Rose Arcade|
|On November 9, 1908, Father B. Gijlswijk of the Roman Catholic Church opened the Sint Rose Hospital on Backstreet. It consisted of 2 tiny wooden houses and it comprised a room for patients, an operating room and space for the doctor. All patients of the islands Sint Maarten, Sint Eustatius and Saba, without discrimination of religion, were admitted to the hospital.
The name of the hospital was taken from Sint Rose of Lima, recognized by the Vatican as the first saint of the New World to be . . . — Map (db m13836) HM|
|Netherlands Antilles, Sint Maarten, Philipsburg — St. Maarten Gingerbread Market Stalls — Historic Sint Maarten Remembered|
|The gingerbread surroundings for the Harbor Point Village market stalls are a typical feature of the St. Maarten/ St. Martin homes of the past. Lovingly crafted by hand, often with improvised tools, gingerbread designs took on folk art appeal on their own at the turn of the 19th century. Many of the smaller holmes were constructed with the help of family and friends whose only pay would be a plate of food and a hearty drink at the end of the day. These buildings were gaily painted in bright . . . — Map (db m40518) HM|
|Netherlands Antilles, Sint Maarten, Philipsburg — Vance Theophilus James — a.k.a. Captain David|
|Vance Theophilus James, known as "Captain David," was born June 20, 1918 in the fishing village of Dieppe Bay, St. Ketts.
After having worked as a cane cutter and fisherman, he first started sailing on the Lady Kate, and later on the inter island sloop the Cassaloma. He went on to become captain of the Calina, and then became known as "Captain David." The vessels he captained carried both cargo and passengers. Sailing from the island of St. Kitts, his ports of call were St. Eustatius, St. . . . — Map (db m40372) HM|