|Philippines, Cavite Province, Corregidor Island — "For the Repose of Souls" — Japanese Memorial Garden — 鎮魂|
| [Text in Japanese Kanji:]
This monument is dedicated to the souls of the Filipino, American and Japanese, soldiers whose lives were given in a battle which occurred here on May 5, 1942, when our regiment of the 4th Division landed on this island. We ardently pray for the eternal repose of their souls and everlasting peace throughout the world. May 5, 1991.
Wakayama 61st Infantry Regiment War Comrades Union, Japan. — Map (db m64111) HM WM|
|Philippines, Cavite Province, Corregidor Island — "Tribute to the Brave Heroes" — Japanese Memorial Garden|
| [Text in Japanese Kanji]
In remembrance of the 4,500 fallen comrades in arms of the Japanese defense battalion commanded by Captain Akira Tagaki, the senior commander, composed of : 0-4 Squadron Troop 330 31st Naval Special Resistance Combat Team 1st Special Infantry Battalion 17th Volunteer Naval Battalion 10th Aerial Information Regiment 32nd Field Artillery Regiment
And in tribute to the gallantry of the Filipinos, Americans, and Japanese soldiers who fought and died for a . . . — Map (db m64039) HM WM|
|Philippines, Cavite Province, Corregidor Island — 503rd Airborne- "The Rock Force" -Memorial|
| Marker panel 1 on top of monument:
”I see the old flagpole still stands. Have your troops hoist the colors to its peak, and let no enemy ever haul them down.”
These historic words were spoken by General Douglas MacArthur near the site of this memorial on 2 March 1945 after the recapture of Corregidor by the 503rd Parachute Regimental Combat Team. The “Rock Force” commander, Colonel George M. Jones in the presence of his regiment saluted and said in a clear . . . — Map (db m66173) WM|
|Philippines, Cavite Province, Corregidor Island — Corregidor — Monument to Peace, Human Valor and International Understanding|
| Corregidor derived its name from Corregimiento or “Municipal District”. About 1225 the island became a stronghold for Chinese pirates until the latter were driven by the Moros. Became Spanish possession, 1570, when Spaniards arrived in Manila from Panay. Occupied by the Dutch, 1600. Recaptured by the Spaniards as a fortification besides being used as lighthouse, dockyard, naval convalescent hospital, penal colony, and checking point for ships to have their papers corrected. . . . — Map (db m63652) HM WM|
|Philippines, Cavite Province, Corregidor Island — Corregidor Lighthouse|
| Corregidor Lighthouse is a functioning historic lighthouse located 6,972 miles west-southwest of San Francisco, 3,044 miles north-northeast of Sydney, Australia, 692 miles south of Hong Kong and 628 feet above sea level, on the topside of Corregidor Island, Philippines.
Delight in the breathtaking view of the Manila Bay, the South China Sea, Bataan and a bird’s eye-view of the island from atop the lighthouse.
The tower is 14.5 m (48 ft.) high. It consists of an octagonal whitewashed . . . — Map (db m64518) HM|
|Philippines, Cavite Province, Corregidor Island — General Jonathan M. Wainwright Memorial|
[Portrait of General Wainwright]
General Jonathan M. Wainwright
1883 to 1953
HERO OF BATAAN
Medal of Honor Citation
“General Jonathan M. Wainwright, 02131, commanding United States
Army Forces in the Philippines from 12 March to 7 May 1942.
He distinguished himself by intrepid and determined leadership against greatly
superior enemy forces. At the repeated risk of life above and beyond the call of duty
in his position he frequented . . . — Map (db m63575) WM|
|Philippines, Cavite Province, Corregidor Island — Malinta Tunnel|
| Begun in 1922 and substantially completed in 1932, the tunnel complex consisted of east-west passage measuring 836 ft. long by 24 ft. wide 13 laterals on its north side and 11 laterals on the south side. Reinforced with concrete walls. Floor and overhead arches with blowers to furnish fresh air and a double-track electric car line along the main tunnel, Malinta provided bombproof shelter for the 1000 bed hospital, MacArthur’s USAFFE headquarters, shops and vast labyrinth storehouse during the . . . — Map (db m63648) HM WM|
|Philippines, Cavite Province, Corregidor Island — Spanish Historical Marker — Corregidor Island|
| Spanish text:
La isla de Corregidor paso a formar parte de la Corona de España el 19 de Mayo de 1571, al ser ocupada por el intrépido navegante Miguel López de Legaspi, fundador de la Ciudad de Manila.
Debido a su posición estratégica, Corregidor sivió como Fortaleza protectora guardian de la Bahía de Manila durante 327 años, hasta el 2 de Mayo de 1898. Durante esos años presenció gloriosas escenas de heroism, en las que la historia de Filipinas y la de España se . . . — Map (db m64787) HM|
|Philippines, Cavite Province, Corregidor Island — To the Angels — U.S. Army Nurse Corps – U.S. Navy Nurse Corps — THE ANGELS OF BATAAN AND CORREGIDOR|
In honor of the valiant American military women who gave so much of themselves in the early days of World War II, they provided care and comfort to the gallant defenders of Bataan and Corregidor, they lived on a starvation diet, shared the bombing, strafing, sniping, sickness and disease while working endless hours of heartbreaking duty, these nurses always had a smile, a tender touch and a kind word for their patients, they truly earned the name:
THE ANGELS OF BATAAN AND CORREGIDOR . . . — Map (db m64032) HM WM|
|Philippines, Cebú Province, Cebu City — 400 Years of Continuing OAR Presence — in the Philippines and Asia — 1696 to 2006|
| Panel 1: Fray Rodrigo de San Miguel
Indistinctly known in history books as Fr. Rodrigo Aganduru (1584-1626), the intrepid missionary from Villadolid, Spain, arrived with the first Recollects in 1606. Bataan and Zambales – where he founded the towns of Bagac, Morong, Mariveles and Subic - witnessed his initial apostolic endeavors. As vicar provincial, he sent missions to Palawan and northern Mindanao and canonically erected in 1621 the convents of Cebu . . . — Map (db m64224) HM|
|Philippines, Cebú Province, Cebu City — Antonio Pigafetta — 1496 - 1535|
| Patrician of Vicenza, Italy and Knight of Malta chronicler of the Magellan expedition that first circumnavigated the globe from 1519 to 1522. He fought in Mactan and was one of the 22 survivors who returned to Spain. This tribute was erected by the Philippine-Italian Association. — Map (db m64200) HM|
|Philippines, Cebú Province, Cebu City — Fort San Pedro|
| The Fort of San Pedro, described in an official report of 1739, is triangular in shape and made of stone and mortar. The three bastions are La Concepcion, San Ignacio de Loyola, and San Miguel - Powder Magazine.
[Inscriptions in the stone above the fort’s main [west side] gateway:]
Fuerza de San Pedro, 1565
Sereformo, Año, 1833
[Coat of Arms of the Spanish monarch]
Note also, a statuette of the Santo . . . — Map (db m64435) HM|
|Philippines, Cebú Province, Cebu City — The Cross of Magellan — Santo Niño de Cebú — Sinulog|
| Panel 1:
From time immemorial this spot has been set aside to commemorate the erection of a Cross in Cebu by the expedition of Magellan. When King Humabon of Cebu and his Queen, son and daughters, together with some 800 of their subjects were baptized by Father Pedro Valderrama. This hallowed site was improved in 1735 by Rev. Juan Albarran. Prior of San Agustin and in 1834 by Rt. Rev. Santos Gomez Maroñon, Bishop of Cebu. The image of the Santo Niño found by the expedition of Legaspi . . . — Map (db m65459) HM|
|Philippines, Laguna, Calamba — José Rizal Monument|
| Panel 1: (Text in Tagalog/Pilipino:) José Rizal (1861-1896)
Pambansang Bayani ng Pilipinas, doctor, agrimensor, dalubwika, manunulat, makata, eskultor at pintor. Isinilang sa Calamba, Laguna, 19 Hunyo 1861. May-akda ng Noli Me Tangere (1887) at El Filibusterismo (1887), mga nobelang higit pang nagpaalab sa mga Filipino na maghimagsik laban sa Espanya. Dinakip at ipinatapon sa Dapitan, hilagang Mindanao, 6 Hulyo 1892. Nagboluntaryo bilang manggagamot ng puwersang Espanyol sa Cuba, 1896, . . . — Map (db m63619) HM|
|Philippines, Laguna, Los Baños — Pook ng Bilangguang Kampo sa Los Baños — "Los Baños Internment Camp"|
| Panel 1: Pook ng Bilangguang Kampo sa Los Baños Ginamit ng mga Hapones bilang bilangguang kampo para sa mga bihag na Amerikano at ibang banyaga noong 1943. Nilusob ng pinagsanib na pangkat ng gerilyang Filipino mula sa mga kasapi ng ROTC Hunters, Hukbalahap ika-48 iskwadron tsino. Sariling Pangkat ni Pangulong Quezon, Pangkat Marking, at iba pang di-regular na tropa noong 23 Pebrero 1945. Ang pinagsanib na puwersa ay inorganisa ni Tinyente Koronel Gustavo Ingles na kasapi ng Hunters at . . . — Map (db m63618) HM WM|
|Philippines, Leyte (Palo), Palo City — Leyte Landing/Paglunsad sa Leyte|
| Panel 1 (Text in Filipino):
Sa pook na ito sa Palo, Leyte nagbalik sa Filipinas si Heneral Douglas MacArthur noong 20 Oktubre 1944 at personal na nanguna sa mabilisang pagtataboy sa hukbong Hapones na nasa Pilipinas. Ang Pangulong Sergio Osmeña at ilang kagawad ng nagdestiyerong pamahalaan ay dumating kasamg ni Hen. MacArthur at kumilos para sa muling pagtatatag, pagpapanumbalik, at pangangasiwa sa pamahalaang Komonwelt ng Filipinas. Ipinahayag ng pambansang tandang . . . — Map (db m63620) HM WM|
|Philippines, Manila, Binondo — Ang Simbahan ng Binondo — Binondo Church — Minor Basilica of St. Lorenzo Ruiz|
|In Tagalog: Dito itinatag ng mga paring Dominkano ang misyon para sa mga Intsik noong 1587 at naging parokya noong 1596. Nasira nang pumasok ang mga Ingles noong 1762. Inilipat sa paring Sekular noong 1766 at ibinalik sa Dominikano noong 1822. Ibinalik sa mga Paring Sekular noong 1896. Ang simbahan at bagong Kumbento ay inayos noong 1946-1971.
Translated, the marker reads: This is where Dominican priests built a mission for the Chinese in 1587, and became a parish in . . . — Map (db m25024) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Binondo — Ang Tahanan ng Kaanak ni Rizal 1903 Daang San Fernando, Maynila — House of Rizal's Relatives — 1903 San Fernando Street, Manila|
In Tagalog: Si Teodora Alonzo, ina in Rizal, ay namatay noong ika-16 ng Agosto ng 1911 sa isang bahay na nakatayo sa pook na ito (ngayo'y blg, 476-478) at ari ni Gng. Luisa Lichauco.
Translated, the marker reads:
Teodora Alonzo, mother of Rizal died in August 16, 1911 in a house that stands here, which is now building 476-478, owned by Mrs. Luisa Lichauco. — Map (db m25025) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Binondo — Roman Ongpin — (1847 - 1912)|
In Tagalog: Makabayan at pilantropo. Isinilang sa Binondo, Maynila, 28 Pebrero 1847. Nahalal bilang Teniente Primero de Mestizos ng Binondo, 1883-1885. Itinatag ang El '82, unang tindahang gumamit sa paraang "fixed price" sa kalye Colon ngyo'y bahagi ng kalye Kilusang Propaganda. Ipiniit ng mga Espanyol dahil sa kanyang pagtulong sa mga rebolusyonaryo, 1896. Ikinulong muli ng mga Amerikano, 6 Disyembre 1900 hanggang 23 marso 1901. Naglingkod bilang ingat-yaman ng Union Obrera . . . — Map (db m25021) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Binondo — Sinilangang Pook ni Heneral Antonio Luna — (1866-1899) — Birthplace of General Antonio Luna|
Sa bahay na ito, 843 Urbiztondo, Isinilang si Antonio Luna noong ika-29 ng Oktubre, 1866. Anak nina Joaquin Luna de San Pedro at Laureana Novicio at kapatid ni Juan Luna, ang pintor. Parmasyutiko at kimiko. Bantog na manunulat ng "La Solidaridad," isang pahayagang Pilipino. Napaghinalaan ng mga Kastilang kasapi sa Katipunan, kaya ipinatapon sa Madrid noong 1897. Sa kanyang pagbabalik sa Pilipinas noong 1898, ay Hinirang siyang Katulong na Kalihim ng Digma; Hinirang na . . . — Map (db m25029) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Binondo — William J. Burke — (1873-1946)|
|Cardiologist, Philanthropist. Born February 17,1873, San Miguel, Manila. Obtained the degree of Doctor of Medicine at the University of Dublin, Ireland. Returned to practice his profession in Manila, 1900. Introduced and installed the first Electrocardiograph in the Philippines. Recipient of several Pontifical Orders for his Philanthropic Endeavors from various hospitals, convents, and religious orders in the country. Died July 23,1946. In his honor the city council of Manila enacted Ordinance . . . — Map (db m25027) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Ermita — Andres Bonifacio — (1863-1897) — Liwasang Bonifacio|
|Born of humble parents in Tondo, Manila on November 1863. Andres Bonifacio founded the Katipunan, the secret society that launched the revolution against Spain in Agusut 1896.
He wrote the Katipunan decalogue, some patriotic poems and essays. And first translated into Tagalog Jose Rizal's "My Last Farewell" he has been considered as "The Father of the Katipunan," "The Great Plebian," and "The Father of Democracy in the Philippines."
He died in Maragondon, Cavite on 10 May 1897.
This . . . — Map (db m25079) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Ermita — Ang Simbahan ng Nuestra Señora de Guia — Church of Ermita|
|In Tagalog: Itinayo noong 1606 na yari sa kawayan, mulawen, at pawid, ang simbahan ng Nuestra Señora de Guia ay makailang nawasak dahil sa lindol. Muling itinayo noong 1810 at nawasak noong 1945 sa labanan ng Maynila, ang imahen ng Nuestra Señora Guia, na nasa Katedral ng Maynila mula pa noong 1947 sa may pook na di-umano'y kinatagpuan sa birhen noong 19 Mayo 1571. Kinoronahan ang birhen noong 16 Mayo 1971 ni Rufino Kardenal Santos. Ang gintong korona ay kaloob ng Papa Paulo VI. . . . — Map (db m25094) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Ermita — Associacion Feminista Filipina — Philippine Feminist Association|
|Founded on 30 June 1905 in Manila at the Initiative Concepcion Felix and with the collaboration of Trinidad Rizal, Clemencia Lopez, Bonifacia Delgado de Barretto, Maria Arevalo, Sofia Reyes, Helen C. Wilson, Paz Natividad VDA. de Zulueta, Maria F. de Villamor, Teresa Solis and Agueda and Jacoba Paterno. It was the first woman's club in the Philippines dedicated to the promotion of social welfare and the encouragement of the participation of women in public affairs. The first president was . . . — Map (db m25095) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Ermita — Central United Methodist Church|
| [Main Marker In Tagalog:]
Kauna-unahang Iglesia ng Protestante sa Pilipinas. Nagsimula noong Marso 5,1899 upang mangaral sa mga Pilipino. Pinasinayaan ang unang Kapilya sa Pook na ito noong Disyembere 23,1901. Pinalitan ng Batong gusali noong 1906. Inayos at naging Katedral noong 1932. Nasira noong Ikaliwang Digmaang Pandaigdid. Muling itinayo tulad ng dati ang anyo at pinasinayaan noong Disyembre 25,1949. Pinangalanan Central Methodist Episcopal Church, pagkatapos Central Student . . . — Map (db m25045) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Ermita — Church of San Vicente de Paul|
|The Chapel built here in 1883 was used as Parish Church of Paco from 1898 to 1909. Parish of San Vicente de Paul erected in 1909. Present church built of concrete in 1912 to Commemorate the Fiftieth Anniversary of the arrival of the Vincentians and Sisters of Charity in the Philippines. — Map (db m25042) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Ermita — Cosmopolitan Church|
In Tagalog: Itinatag bilang Cosmopoilta Student Church sa ilalim ng Pihlippine Methodist Church, Marso 1933. Itinalaga sa pook na ito, 1936. Kanlungan at sentro ng gawain ng mga kasapi ng simbahang lihim na kabilang sa kilusang gerilya, 1942-1944. Inokupahan ng mga hapon, Setyembre 1944. Muling ipinatayo matapos masunong noong Labanan ng Maynila, 1945. Isa sa mga simbahang nagtatag ng United Church of Christ in the Philippines (UCCP), 1948. Inialay ang bagong santuaryo, 14 Disyembre . . . — Map (db m25103) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Ermita — Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of the Philippines — Plaridel Masonic Temple|
Nagunguna, Independiente at Pambansang Institusyong Masoniko. Itinatag ng tatlong Lohiyang Amerikano sa pahintulot ng Grand Lodge of California ng Estados Unidos ng Amerika, sa kumbensyon sa templo ng masoniko, San Luis (ngayon T.M. Kalaw) Maynila noong Disymebre 19, 1912. Unang punong maestro si Eugene Stafford, kinilala ng 77 Gran Lohiya ng Estados Unidos, Inglatera, Ireland at Scotland, 1917. Sa pagkakaisa ng mga mason, pinagsanib sa pamamagitan ng pagsapi ng Regional . . . — Map (db m25096) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Ermita — In Memory of the Victims of Military Sexual Slavery during the Second World War|
|This historical marker is being offered in memory of the Filipina victims of Japanese Military sexual slavery during the Second World War.
During the Japanese occupation of the Philippines approximately 1,000 women became victims of military sexual slavery by the Japanese imperial army.
All over the country, in these "Comfort Stations" or sites were the institutional and organized rape and abuse of women by the Japanese military were committed.
Through this historical marker. A . . . — Map (db m62969) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Ermita — Manila Metropolitan Theater|
|In Tagalog: Nagsimula bilang isang pambansang tanghalan ayon sa disenyo ni arkitekto Juan Arellano. Pinasinayaan noong 1931. Naging tanghalan ng mga artistanf Pilipino at banyaga. Nagpalabas ng mga opera, pageant, at dulang Kastila at Ingles na isinalin sa Tagalog para sa mga Pilipino noong Ikalawang digmaang pandaigdig. Nasira nang bahagya, noong 1945. Ang gumuhong gusali ay naging tirahan ng mga squatter at pingalanang Besa boxing Arena. Ibinalik sa dating maringal na anyo noong 1978 . . . — Map (db m25090) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Ermita — Philippine General Hospital — PGH|
|In Tagalog: Itinatag sa bisa ng Kautusan bilang 1688 ng Komisyon ng Pilipinas bilang dibisyon ng Kagawaran ng Kalusugan, 1907 sa pamamagitan ni Dean C. Worcester, inilagay ang Panukulang bato Disyembere 8, 1908; Natapos, Nobyembere 30,1909. Pinasinayaan Setyembre 10, 1910. Napasailalim ng Pampublikong Pagtuturo, 1933. Tanggapan ng Pangulo, Hulyo 1939. Ibinalik sa ilalim ng Pagtuturong Pampubliko noong panahon ng pananakop ng mga Hapones; Inilipat sa Philippine Civic affairs Unit noong . . . — Map (db m25078) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Ermita — Philippine Post Office|
|In Tagalog: Itinatag bilang tanggapan ng koreo sa Maynila 1767; Itinaas bilang distritong Pangkoreo ng Espanya, 1779; Nag panibagong tatag, 5 Disyembere 1837; Naging pangunahing sentrong pangkoreo, 1838, naging kasapi ng Universal Postal Union, 1877. Itinatag bilang lingkurang pangkoreo sa bisa ng Kautusan ng Pangulong Emilio Aguinaldo, 1898. Muling itinatag bilang kawanihan sa ilalim ng Kagawaran ng Pangangalakal sa bisa ng batas ng Komisyon ng Pilipinas Blg. 426, 15 Setyembre 1902. . . . — Map (db m25080) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Ermita — Plaza Olivia Salamanca — Plaza Salamanca|
|In memory of Olivia Salamanca, M.D., pioneer woman physician of the Philippines. Born in San Roque, Cavite on 1 July 1889; appointed government scholar in 1905; Studied in Drexel Institute, Philadelphia. Died on 11 July 1913. A devoted and compenent practicioner, she was a credit to the medical profession and an inspiration to her fellow women. — Map (db m25077) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Ermita — Sa mga Bayani ng Lungsod ng Maynila — To the Heroes of Manila|
|In Tagalog: Na nag-iwan sa amin ng isang dakilang pamana na may karangalan dahil sa ginawa nilang pagtulong sa mga kulang-palad na walang kakayahan, sa pagtatanggol ng mga naapi, sa pagsasanggalang ng patrimonyo ng lungsod at sa walang takot ninyong pagbubuwis ng buhay para sa isang banal at kagalang-galang na pamamaraan. Kaya kami sa ngayon ay binubuhay ang inyong kadakilaan sa pamamagitan ng panandang pangkasaysayang ito, isang buhay na alaala at sagisag ng aming walang-hanggang . . . — Map (db m25093) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Ermita — U.S. Forces Liberate Manila — To the Heroes of Manila|
|Late in the afternoon of February 3, 1945 two groups of the flying column of the 1st Cavalry Division, including the attached 44th Tank Battalion, entered Manila, with the first group taking possession of Malacanang Palaca and the second group liberating the American and other Allied civilian internees at the University of Santo Tomas. They were followed by the 37th Infantry Division, which rescued Allied civilian internees and prisoners of war at Bilibid prison. From the south the 11th . . . — Map (db m25228) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Ateneo de Manila|
|Here once stood the Ateneo de Manila. Founded in 1817 as Escuela Pia de Manila. Administered by government in 1831 and renamed Escuela Municipak de Manila. Turned over to the Jesuits in 1859. Renamed Ateneo Municipak de Manila in 1865. Exclusive ownership given to Jesuits in 1901. Named shortened to Ateneo de Manila. Gutted by fire in 1932. Grade school rebuilt in Intramuros while rest of the campus moved to Ermita, Manila. Destroyed during World War II. Moved to Loyola Heights, Quezon City in 1952. — Map (db m25162) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Ayuntamiento — Casa Consistoriales|
Ipinatayong tahanang ng Cabildo at iba pang pinuno ng pamahalaan ng Lungsod ng Maynila. Inilagay ang panulukang bato, 1735 natapos, 1738. Nasira ng lindol 1863; muling ipinatayo, 1879. Naging luklukan ng Pamahalaang kolonyal na Kastila at Amerikano at unang Asamblea ng Pilipinas. Sa Salón de Mármol ng gusaling ito pinasinayaan si Sergio Osmena bilang ispiker noong Oktubre 16, 1907, katungkulang kanyang hinawakaan hanggang 1922. Nasira nang bombahin ng hukbong Hapon at . . . — Map (db m25157) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Beaterio de la Compañia de Jesus|
|On this site stood the house of the Beaterio de la Compañia de Jesus, first Filipino congregation of religous women. Founded in 1684 by Ignacia del Espiritu Santo, a Chinese mestiza from Binondo. The Archbishop of Manila approved the rules of the order in 1732. Granted royal protection in 1755 and pontifical status in 1931. Destroyed during the Battle of Manila in 1945. Known as the Religious of the Virgin Mary (RVM) since 1948, the group moved to Sampaloc, Manila after the war then Quezon City in 1950. — Map (db m25230) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Beaterio-Colegio de Santa Catalina|
|Here once stood the Beaterio-Colegio de Santa Catalina. Order founded in 1633 by Mother Francisca del Espiritu Santo. Known as Dominican Sisters of the Tertiary Order. Order recognized by King in 1716. Authorized to offer teacher-training courses in 1863 and confer academic degrees of Maestra Normal 1889.
New building constructed in 1939. Destroyed in 1941. Moved to Legarda Street in Sampaloc in 1942. School in Sampaloc built in 1951. Convent moved to Quezon City in 1962. — Map (db m25275) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Chapel of the Franciscan Venerable Third Order|
|Here once stood the Chapel of the Franciscan Venerable Third Order. Housed the Congregation of the Third Order of Saint Francis established in 1611 by Fr. Jose de Santa Maria, O.F.M. Chapel built in 1618. Stone edifice built in 1678. Renovated from 1723 to 1763. Sustained heavy damage in the 1863 earthquake and 1880 earthquakes. Rebuilt with twin towers which was also common feature of the church of its mother order. Destroyed in 1945 during the Battle of Manila — Map (db m25237) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Church of San Agustin|
|Oldest stone church in the Philippines. Plans were approved in 1587 and completed in 1607 under the supervision successively of the Augustinian Fathers Francisco de Bustos, Ildefonso Perez, Diego de Avila and brother Alonso de Perea. Its architect Juan Macias. It has withstood many earthquakes from 1645 up to the present and survived the British invasion in 1762. The Spanish-American War in 1898 and the Japanese invasion in 1942. The church choir has 68 carved molave seats with Narra inlaids. . . . — Map (db m25040) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Colegio de Santa Isabel|
|Here once stood the Colegio de Santa Isabel. Founded in 1632 by the Hermandad de la Santa Misericordia. Granted royal patronage in 1733. Administered by Daughters of Charity since 1862. First office of the Monte de Piedad y Caja de Ahoras de Manila opened in 1882. Damaged by earthquake in 1863 and fire in 1932. Destroyed during the Battle of Manila in 1945. School and church transferred to Taft Avenue, Manila after the war. — Map (db m25163) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Colegio de Santa Rosa|
|Here stands the Colegio de Santa Rosa. Founded in 1750 by Mother Paula de Santissima Trinidad. Formerly called Beaterio y Casa Ensenanza and administered to the needs of the Filipina orphans. Granted royal patronage in 1774. Administration transferred to the Real Audiencia in 1782. Given to the Daughters of Charity in 1866 and renamed Colegio de Santa Rosa.
Building damaged in 1863 and 1880 earthquakes. New three-story building built. Destroyed in 1941. School reopened in Santa Mesa, . . . — Map (db m25282) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — College of San Juan de Letran — Colegio de San Juan de Letran|
|Founded by Diego de Santa Maria, O.P., in 1630. This institution absorbed the school of Juan Geronimo Guerrero in 1638. In 1648, after its building had been detroyed by the earthquake of 1645. The College was removed to the Parian, on which site it has remained since 1669. Its Tercentenary was celebrated in 1930. This remodeled building was blessed on October 31, 1937, by Rev. Martin Guillet, O.P.
A separate marker about the College of San Juan de Letran, seen in the picture below, . . . — Map (db m25274) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Cruceiro|
|The Cruceiro or wayside stone across is an expression of a truly popular devotion of the Christian in the autonomous region of Galicia in northwestern Spain. It is a symbol of divine protection and place of prayer. It guides the pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostela. Site of the remains of the Santiago Apostol (Saint James the Apostle), patron saint of Galicia, Spain. The Cruceiro is believed to protect its surrounding area, sanctify the roads leading to and coming from it, and serve . . . — Map (db m25290) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Cuartel De Santa Lucia — Santa Lucia Barracks|
|On this site, Cuartel de la Artilleria de Montana was built by Thomas Sanz, Engineer of the army during the Administration of Governor General Jose Basco y Vargas, 1781. Used as barracks by The Philippine Constabulary, 1901. Became The Philippine Officers School, February 17,1905. Here, the newly appointed constabulary officers, studied a three-month course of instruction in law and Spanish language in addition to military drill and constabulary administration transfered to Baguio City, 1908. . . . — Map (db m25227) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Former Palace of the Governors General — Palacio del Gobernador|
|This site was formerly occupied by the stately residence of Captain Manuel Estacio Venegas, Secretary to Governor General Diego Fajardo. Venegas died on March 7, 1660, a prisoner at Fort Santiago. His residence was confiscated and became the Palace of the Governors of the Philippine Islands until its destruction by the earthquake of June 3, 1863. These foundations, intended for the new Gubernatorial palace, were abandoned when it was decided to make Malacanang the permament residence of the Governors General. — Map (db m25155) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Hospital de San Juan de Dios|
|Here once stood the Hospital de San Juan de Dios. First known as the "Hospitalito de Santa Ana". Built in 1578 by Franciscan lay brother, Juan Clemente. Managed by the Hermandad de la Santa Misecordia with spiritual administration handled by Franciscan Order from 1596 to 1656. Became known as "Hospital de la Misericordia del Padres Franciscanos".
Supervised by Brothers of San Juan de Dios from 1656 to 1865. Became popularly known by present name. Administerd by the Daughters of Charity in . . . — Map (db m25243) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Lourdes Church and Convent|
|Here once stood the first permanent house of the Franciscan Capuchin friars in 1891. First chapel built in 1892. Dedicated to our Lady of the Divine Shepherd (Divina Pastora). Statue of Our Lady of Lourdes carved by Filipino sculptor Manuel Flores in 1892. Church designed by Federico Soler built in 1897. The Lady of Lourdes was enshrined in 1898 as titular head. Church and convent destroyed in 1945. Moved to Quezon City in 1951 where the original statue stands today. — Map (db m25242) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Manila Cathedral — Roman Catholic Cathedral of Manila|
|First cathedral built in 1581. Damaged by a typhoon, 1582 and destroyed by fire, 1583. Second Cathedral built of stone in 1592 and partially destroyed by earthquake, 1600. Third Cathedral built in 1614 and destroyed by the earthquake of 1645. Fourth Cathedral magnificently built in 1654-1671 by Archbishop Miguel Poblete and destroyed by the earthquake of 3 June 1863. Fifth Cathedral built in 1870-1879 under architects Luciano Oliver, Vicente Serrano Salaverria and Educardo Lopez Navarro and . . . — Map (db m25153) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Manila High School|
|In Tagalog: Ang paaralang ito ay naitatag ng mga Kastila sa utos ng Ayuntamiento de Manila sa daang Victoria, Intramuros noong 1892. Pinangalanang "Escuela Municipal de Manila". Dito rin itinatag ng mga Amerikano ang kauna-unahang paaralang bayan sa ilalim ng kanilang pamamahala noong Hunyo 11,1906 sa pangalang "Manila High School". Naging "Manila South" at muling pinagalanang "Manila High School". Ito ang una at tanging mataas ng paaralang bayan isinunod sa pangalan ng Punong Lungsod . . . — Map (db m25235) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Memorare-Manila 1945|
|This monument is erected in memory of the more than 100,000 defenseless civilians who were killed during the Battle for the Liberation of Manila between February 3 and March 3,1945. They were mainly victims of heinous acts perpetrated by the Japanese Imperial Forces and the casualties of the heavy artillery barrage by the American Forces. The Battle for Manila at the end of World War II was one of the most brutal episode in the history of Asia and the Pacific. The non-combatant victims of that . . . — Map (db m25517) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Mother Francisca del Espiritu Santo|
|Francisca de Fuentes, was born to Don Simon de Fuentes and Ana Maria Tamayo del Castillo in the City of Manila in 1647. Widowed and childless herself after a brief marriage, she dedicated herself to helping the sick, the needy and the young. In 1682, she received the habit of a Dominican tertiary and took the name Mother Francisca del Espiritu Santo. She was joined by a small group, and a family of religious founded in the Philippines had its beginning. Final approval came later, but the . . . — Map (db m25291) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — No. 1 Victoria St.|
|On this site once stood the headquarters of General Douglas MacArthur commanding general of the United States Army Forces in the Far East (USAFFE)
Popularly known as "No. 1 Victoria St." it was located opposite the USAFFE headquarters at the Reducto San Pedro.
No. 1 Victoria was abandoned during the retreat of Filipino-American forces to Bataan and Corregidor in 1941. Used as Barracks by the Japanese occupation forces, it was destroyed during the Battle of Manila in 1945. — Map (db m25241) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Padre Jose A. Burgos|
Sa pook na ito nanirahan si Padre Burgos mula noong 1865 hanggang 1872 at nagtrabaho para sa mga pagbabago sa simbahan sa ilalim ng Espanya, naging Kura Paroko ng Parroquia del Sagrario, Fiscal Eclesiastico at pansamantalang canonigo magistral ng Katedral ng Maynila sa Intramuros. Tungkol sa kanya si Kardinal Gonzales, isang kastila, ay nagwika: "Ang Pilipinas ay mangangailangan pa marahil ng isan-daang taon upang magkaroon ng isang anak na may katalinuhang tulad ni P. Jose . . . — Map (db m25158) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Palacio Arzobispal|
|Here once stood the Archbishop's Palace. Acquired by Archbishop Miguel de Poblete (1653-1667) for use as residence. Housed the offices of the Archbishop of Manila and the Catholic Church in the Philippines. Underwent major repairs after damage from earthquakes. Destroyed in 1944. Present building constructed in the 1980's for the offices of the Arzobispado de Manila (Archdiocese of Manila). — Map (db m25160) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Plaza de España|
|Named Plaza de los Mártires de la Integridad Nacional in 1897 in memory of Spanish Soldier who died in the encounters of August 1896, was rebuilt by the Intramuros Administration and opened on July 1982.
Manuel C. Elizalde Jr. donated the stone paving. — Map (db m25288) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Plaza de Roma|
|Formerly called Plaza Mayor. Converted into a park in 1797. Renamed Plaza McKinley after U.S. President William McKinley in 1901. Renamed Plaza de Roma in 1961 to honor Sacred College of Cardinals in Rome following the elevation of first Filipino cardinals, Rufino J. Santos.
Bronze monument to Carlos IV of Spain erected in 1824 as a tribute for the introduction of the smallpox vaccine in the Philippines. Fountain built in 1886. Statue replaced by Gomburza monument in the 1960s. Statue returned in 1981. — Map (db m25154) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Plaza Santo Tomas|
|Lot originally purchased by the Dominican Order in 1627 for their cemetery and garden. Bought by city government in 1861 as a public plaza. Given to the University of Santo Tomas in 1879. Bronze statue of U.S.T. founder Archbishop Miguel de Benavides erected in 1891.
Monument transferred to present campus along Espana Street after the war. — Map (db m25285) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Plazuela de Santa Isabel — Plaza Sampalucan|
|Made part of Santa Isabel College which lacked an open space characteristic of Spanish buildings. Empty lot called Sampalucan along Calle Anda joined to enlarge plazuela in the 18th century.
Restored in 1983. Monument dedicated to the non-combatant victims of the last war erected in 1995 by Memorare Manila 1945. — Map (db m25164) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — San Francisco Church and Convent|
|Here once stood the San Francisco Church and Convent. Built by the Franciscans who arrived in the Philippines in 1578. First church and convent dedicated to Our Lady of Angels (Nuestra Senora de los Angeles). Destroyed in 1583. A new stone edifice with a small hospital was built in 1602. Badly damaged in 1645 earthquake. Remained in ruin until third church was constructed in 1738. Damaged in 1863 earthquake. Destroyed in 1945. — Map (db m25236) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — San Ignacio Church|
|Here once stood the second San Ignacio Church and the Casa Mission of the Jesuit Order. Built from 1878 to 1889. Designed by first Filipino architect Felix Roxas, Sr. Neo-classical in style with two towers. Constructed under the direction of Jesuit priest Francisco Riera. Interior famous for woodwork by renowed Filipino sculptor Isabelo Tampingco and students. Destroyed during the Battle of Manila in 1945. Converted into an office and warehouse after World War II. — Map (db m25161) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Santo Domingo Church and Convent|
|Here once stood the Santo Domingo Church and Convent of the Dominican Order. First built in 1588. Collapsed in 1589 due to poor foundations. Rebuilt in stone 1592. Burned in 1603. Constructed for the third time but destroyed in 1645 earthquake. Fourth church completed in 1692. Destroyed in 1863 earthquake. Fifth church inaugurated in 1868. Designed by first Filipino architect Felix Roxas Sr. in neo-Gothic design. Destroyed in 1941.
Housed in this church was the ivory image of Our Lady of the . . . — Map (db m25287) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Simbahan at Kumbento ng Recoletos — Church and Convent of the Recollects — Recollects Church|
|In Tagalog: Sa pook na ito ipinatayo ang simbahan at kumbento ng San Nicolas de Tolentino ng Order of Augustinian Recollects (OAR)sa kagandahang-loob ni Bernardino del Castillo Maldonado, 1608. Nagsilbing pangunahing kumbento ng mga Recoletos sa Pilipinas, Tsina, Hapon at Marianas Islands. Kilala sa pagiging maadorno at sa malaking kampanaryo. Ang simbahan ay napinsala ng lindol, 30 Nobyembre 1645. Tuluyang nawasak 20 Agosto 1658, muling ipinatayo subalit gumuho dahil sa lindol, 1722; at . . . — Map (db m25233) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — The Jesuit Compound|
|This block was occupied by the Jesuits upon their arrival in 1581 until their expulsion in 1768. The Church of Santa Ana (1587), Colegio Maximo de San Ignacio (1595), Colegio de San Jose (1601), and the first church and convent of San Ignacio (1626) were built on this site. Built in 1590 and opened in 1596, Santa Ana was the first stone church in the Philippines. Destroyed in an earthquake. Another church constructed in 1626 in honor of St. Ignatius of Loyola.
The Colegio Maximo de San . . . — Map (db m25232) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — Tomas Mapua — (1888-1965)|
|Educator and first registered architect. Born in Manila, December 21,1888. Studied at Ateneo de Manila and Liceo de Manila, completed secondary education at Boones Preparatory School in Berkeley, California, 1907. Obtained the degree of bachelor in architecture Cornell University, 1911. Started as draftsman, 1912-1913, and then became supervising architect, 1917-1928, at Bureau of Public Works. Supervised construction of several government buildings. Established Mapua Institute of Technology, . . . — Map (db m25293) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, Intramuros — University of Santo Tomas — Universidad de Santo Tomas — UST|
|Here once stood the Univerity of Santo Tomas, the oldest university in Asia. Founded in 1611. First called Colegio Seminario de Santo Tomas de Nuestra del Rosario. Authorized to grant academic degrees in 1624. Raised to the rank of University in 1645. Given royal patronage in 1680. Granted the titles Royal in 1785 and Pontifical in 1902. Campus moved to Sampaloc, Manila in 1927. Building destroyed in 1945 during Battle of Manila. Granted the title of The Catholic . . . — Map (db m25286) HM|
|Philippines, Manila, San Nicolas — Where “Ang Kalayaan” Was Printed|
|This house was occupied by Dr. Pio Valenzuela together with Ulpiano Fernandez and Faustino Duque, Filipino printers who turned out for Dr. Valenzuela and Emilio Jacinto 2,000 copies of the newspaper entitled “Ang Kalayaan,” giving Yokohama as the place of publication to evade suspicion. The first issue was dated January 18, 1896, but was not circulated until the middle of March. The second issue, in preparation, was seized by the Spanish authorities when the revolution broke out . . . — Map (db m25221) HM|
|Philippines, Metro Manila, Binondo — Filipino-Chinese World War II Martyrs Memorial|
| Marker Panels 1 and 2: on the north face of the memorial's base with text in Chinese and English [portions illegible] - listed units include: “Phil-Chinese Volunteer Corps”, “Anti-Jap[anese] & Puppets,"
"... Grand League, Squadrons", etc. Marker Panel 3: This memorial was erected on June 12, 1995 by Confederation of Filipino Chinese Veterans in remembering and honoring the anti-Japanese heroes who died in defense of our country during the Second World War . . . — Map (db m64666) WM|
|Philippines, Metro Manila, Binondo — Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary Parish Church — Pilipino Parish — Plaza San Lorenzo Ruiz, Binondo, Manila|
| His Eminence, Jaime Cardinal Sin. D.D. Archbishop of Manila commissioned Very Rev. Msgr. Federico V. Navarro to start the restoration and reconstruction of this church on January 1977, which was finished in January 1984.
In May 9, 1985, the Cardinal blessed this church together with the new 3 story concrete parish center building and convent at the back of this church at Ongpin Street.
The restoration of this grand and beautiful antique church was made possible through the courage and . . . — Map (db m64588) HM|
|Philippines, Metro Manila, Binondo — The New Plaza San Lorenzo Ruiz|
| The new Plaza San Lorenzo Ruiz was formerly known as Plaza Calderon de la Barca, a noted Spanish playwright. In 1981 it was renamed after the first Filipino saint, Lorenzo Ruiz, where his statue stands, in honor of this Binondo native who was executed on September 27, 1637 for refusing to renounce his Catholic faith.
The plaza also includes the monument of Joaquin Santa Marina who founded the La Insular Cigar and Cigarette factory in 1863. In 1979, the monument of the . . . — Map (db m64771) HM|
|Philippines, Metro Manila, Sampaloc, Manila — Santo Tomas Internment Camp — Main Building, University of Santo Tomas|
| Through these portals passed up to ten thousand Americans and other nationals of the free world who were interned within these walls by the Japanese military. Suffering great physical privation and national humiliation from January 4, 1942, until liberated February 3, 1945, by the American Forces under General Douglas MacArthur. — Map (db m63871) HM WM|
|Philippines, Metro Manila, Sampaloc, Manila — University of Santo Tomas — Universidad de Sto. Tomas — Main Building|
| Panel 1: Founded in 1611 by legacy of Archbishop Miguel de Benevides. Authorized to confer degrees in 1624. Granted university privileges in 1645 by Innocent X upon Philip IV’s request. Made a royal university in 1785 by Charles III and a pontifical university in 1902 by Leo XIII. Oldest university under the American flag. This building designed and constructed under the supervision of Rev. Roque Ruaño, O.P., was solemnly inaugurated on July 2, 1927. Panel 2:
Commemorating the . . . — Map (db m63816) HM|
|Philippines, Zambales (Subic Bay Freeport), Olongapo — Old West Gate — "Spanish Gate"|
| This gate was the entrance to the original Spanish Naval Station established in Subic Bay in 1885. The principal Spanish construction lay to the east along what is now Rivera Point and consisted of an arsenal, several warehouses, and a number of shop buildings.
The base at Subic-Olongapo was used by the Spanish Navy to provide repair, supply, ammunition and medical support for ships. The post was commanded by the Second Commandancia of the base at Cavite and was considered a . . . — Map (db m68100) HM|
|Philippines, Zambales (Subic Bay Freeport), Olongapo — The Hellships Memorial|
| Inscription on first monolith:
This memorial honors the thousands of World War II Allied prisoners of war transported under horrific conditions by their Japanese captors on “Hellships” and scattered all across Asia to work as slave laborers in factories, shipyards, and mines to support the Japanese war effort.
Many thousands of men were carried on these ships and thousands of those perished from murder, starvation, sickness and neglect or were killed when friendly . . . — Map (db m68846) HM WM|
|Philippines, Zambales (Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority), Olongapo — Inang Laya Monument — "The Hands That Freed the Nation" — Inang Laya - Mother Country|
| Let the Dozen Hands pay tribute to the Magnificent Twelve Senators of the Republic of the Philippines who on September 16, 1991, stood up and declared “NO” to the RP US Military Bases Treaty, thus finally ending more than four centuries of foreign military presence in the country.
Let the image of INANG LAYA – MOTHER COUNTRY now unbound and standing proudly be the embodiment of the generation of Filipinos who kept the flames of freedom ablaze during the bleakest moments in . . . — Map (db m68214) HM|
|Philippines, Zambales (Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority), Olongapo City — Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority|
| Five years ago today, this 24th day of November 1997, the U.S. Navy in solemn ceremonies relinquished administration, control and possession of the former Subic Naval Base, after 94 years to the sovereign Philippine government. Presiding over the ceremony was his excellency, President Fidel V. Ramos, Present in the historic turnover were:
For the Philippine Government:
Hon. Roberio R. Romulo, Secretary of Foreign Affairs
Hon. Richard J. Gordon, Mayor, City of . . . — Map (db m68150) HM|