|Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand TurkCockburn Town — Splashdown Grand Turk|
[Exhibit #1 and #2]
Replica of Friendship 7 capsule that carried John Glenn on his historic orbital flight of Feb. 20, 1962. The capsule was 9 feet long and 6 feet across at its base. At reentry it weighed about 3,000 pounds. Space inside was very tight, with room for only one man.
America's First Spacecraft
The bell-shaped capsule was about 9 feet high and 6 feet across at the base. It was made of resin and fiberglass, with and outer shell of . . . — Map (db m61948) HM|
|Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — 20 — Crofton Coverley House|
|Mr. William Burton Astwood built this house in the 1870, yet he never lived in it himself. Currently it is occupied by his grandson, Mr.XXXX Crofton, who is the oldest citizen at the age of 91. Mr. Crofton has lived there all his married life. The name Astwood, like Coverley, Hawkins and Grant, is an old Grand Turk family name of a one-time salt merchant and proprietor. Mr. Astwood was the foremost importer and seller of liquor of his day. This property was acquired by Mr. Crofton's father who . . . — Map (db m40296) HM|
|Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — 21 — Free Mason's Lodge|
|This Lodge was set up in 1855 by the first president
of the Turks & Caicos Islands, Mr. Frederick Forth,
and was called the 'Turks Islands Forth Lodge.' Mr.
Forth, himself, was a member and local legend has
it that President Forth may have personally lived
in the building. The structure is marked with a
compass, square and the letter G, which is the
international symbol for the "Free and Accepted
Masons." In living memory, the Free Mason's
Lodge always has been located here. — Map (db m40274) HM|
|Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — Grand Turk Historic Lighthouse|
|During the colonial days, hundreds of shipwrecks occured off Grand Turk due to the shallow reef off its northern coast. Because shipwrecks were so common, vessels began refusing to call for salt cargoes, the mainstay of the Grand Turk economy. Both shippers and the American Government insisted that a lighthouse be constructed.
The Grand Turk Lighthouse was built in London in 1852 and shipped to Grand Turk, where it was assembled in hopes of saving the salt trade. Standing sixty feet, it was . . . — Map (db m40367) HM|
|Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — Grand Turk Historic Lighthouse|
|During the Lighthouse's first forty years of use, wrecks continued along the northern coast. Ship captains complained that the light was too dim or not lit at all. Some believe that the dimming of the light was done intentionally to cause ship wrecks in order to loot cargo aboard.
In March 1878 Captain Huehl of the S.S. Tybee reported that, on approaching Grand Turk at 2 a.m., he found himself in white water off the Northeast Reef, yet saw no light burning. On May 21st, the brig Lydia . . . — Map (db m40454) HM|
|Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — Grand Turk: The Original Columbus Landfall ?|
|The exact location of Christopher Columbus' first landfall in the New World in 1492 has been debated for centuries. Columbus' original journal of his first voyage to the New World is lost, and we will likely never know for sure.
Recent theories and recreations of what is known of the first voyage may have landed in present-day San Salvador in the Bahamas, Samana Cay in the Bahamas, Cat Island in the Bahamas, or, possibly Grand Turk.
Proponents of the Grand Turk theory point to . . . — Map (db m40544) HM|
|Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — 19 — Grant Building|
|Also owned by the Grant family, this building that dates back to the 1890s was probably acquired at the same time as the Iron Building. This building was a meeting place for the various workmen and merchants of the town where they used to drink and discuss the business of the day. When Mr. Felix C. Grant died in 1956 the building was passed on to his daughter Ianthe. It became Ianthe's shoe store from where Miss Alice Manuel sold shoes for years. (Alice Manuel House on Front Street). — Map (db m40297) HM|
|Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — Horatio Nelson Lookout Point|
|Lookout Point is named in honor of British Admiral Horatio Nelson who fought for Grand Turk's liberation from French occupants in March 1783. The French occupied Grand Turk for a short time and famed Horatio Nelson led a daring but failed attack to retake the island.
To the west lies Columbus Passage. A subject to debate some historians believe Christopher Columbus' first landfall in the New World was on Grand Turk. To the east is the Northeast Reef, the shallow reef which caused hundreds of . . . — Map (db m40663) HM|
|Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — Lighthouse Keeper's Residence & Bermuda Kitchen — Grand Turk|
|The Grand Turk Lighthouse had two keepers, the Principal and the Assistant. It is believed that before 1890 the keepers may have lived on location at the site of the present-day Pavilion. Meals were prepared in the seperate Bermuda Kitchen, typical of Turks Island architecture.
After 1890 the keepers and their families lived in town. The keepers shared a horse, on which they rode to and from the Lighthouse daily for their shifts.
The daily routine of a lighthouse keeper was demanding . . . — Map (db m40793) HM|
|Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — 23 — Miramar|
|This House, also owned by the Grant family, was never lived in as a family home. It always was rented out primarily to the managers and employees of Cable and Wireless prior to the building of the Cable & Wireless houses on the site of Mr. B.C. Frith's House, which was called Palm Grove. Mr. Finbar S. Dempsey, who rented the whole building in 1971, set up the first formal legal practice on Grand Turk on the first floor, where he remained for the next 15 years. The second floor was rented out to one of his associates. — Map (db m40288) HM|
|Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — #13 — St. Mary’s Anglican Pro-Cathedral Church|
|This church was first built as a ‘chapel of ease’ in 1900 to accommodate the parishioners of Cockburn Town. At that time, St. Thomas’ Church, which was the first church in Grand Turk, was quite a distance from the town and made it particularly difficult for evening worship. The Church was designated a Pro-Cathedral of the diocese of the Bahamas and Turks & Caicos Islands in the 1990s. Every diocese has a Cathedral, and as the Turks & Caicocs [sic] Islands are politically separated from . . . — Map (db m30674) HM|
|Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — #22 — Sunnyside|
|This house, which always has been known as Sunnyside, was originally located on a cay off South Caicos called Sail Rock Cay. It was built in the 1870s and has the distinction of being one of the most famous houses on Front Street. It was moved board by board to its present location on Grand Turk by Mrs. Mary Jones, wife of the late Father Clifford Jones of St. Thomas Parish Church. Now, the house is owned by Mitch Rolling of Blue Water Divers and the leader of "High Tide," Grand Turk's own Ripsaw Blues Band. — Map (db m30404) HM|
|Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — The History of the West — ( Grand Turk )|
|The western side of Grand Turk is the leeward side of the island. This is the side protected from high winds and storms. Because of this, it was the primary anchorage for the sailing vessels that came and went from Grand Turk for hundreds of years. The west coast is littered with artifacts left by these ships. Anchors, cannons, stone ballast, and even bottles lay sometimes within a few feet of shore. These remnants of our maritime past can be seen almost anywhere you snorkel on the west side . . . — Map (db m40351) HM|
|Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — The Northeast Reef — (Grand Turk)|
|The Northeast Reef is a shallow reef lying to the northeast of Grand Turk and running 2.8 miles into the sea. The Reef lies in the Turks Island Passage, which has been located along trade routes from Jamaica, Cuba and Hispaniola back to Europe since the finding of the New World.
Some estimates indicate that maybe 1,000 shipwrecks in the waters of the Turks and Caicos Islands, and the Northeast Reef is the most infamous cause. It has caused hundreds of shipwrecks.
Shipwrecks off the . . . — Map (db m40602) HM|
|Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — 17 — Timco — (Turks Islands Importers Ltd.)|
|Built in the 1860s, this building started life as a salt warehouse belonging to the Stubbs family who were the foremost plantation owners in the Caicos Islands and one of the foremost salt families of South Caicos and Grand Turk. On Grand Turk they rivaled the Frith brothers, and it is reputed that Mr. Stubbs built the warehouse after being goaded by the Friths that they owned Front Street. He, out of spite then decided to locate his salt warehouse directly in-between the Frith's two iron . . . — Map (db m40293) HM|
|Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — #16 — Todds|
|Todds, which was built in the 1880's, not only is the oldest variety store in the island, but also the only one still trading under its almost-original name and owned by the same family. The store was first owned by the Stubbs family who were the largest landowners in the Caicos Islands and also one of the foremost salt families in the territory. Freddie Todd purchased it in the early 20th century for his daughter, Eva Todd. When she died in the 1960's, her cousins, Olive Wood and Minnie Tatem, . . . — Map (db m31453) HM|
|Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — Trouvadore Shipwreck|
|In 1841 a Brigantine ship sailing under Spanish papers left Africa with an illegal cargo of 193 Africans. The ship was the Trouvadore and it was sailing for Cuba, where the Africans were to be enslaved and put to work on sugar plantations. Slavery was illegal in the British Empire at that time, and the British Navy would have to capture the illegal slave ship if it encountered her.
Fortunately for the Africans, after a month at sea, the Trouvadore wrecked off the Caicos Bank. One of the . . . — Map (db m40764) HM|
|Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — U.S. Naval Facility — — Grand Turk —|
|In 1954 the U.S. Navy established a hydrographic research station on this northern promontory of Grand Turk, overlooking the strategic passage from the Atlantic Ocean. Quonset huts were erected to accommodate eleven officers and one-hundred enlisted men. The large water catchment can be seen within the confines of the base
Known officially as the U.S. Facility for Oceanographic Research, the base was established to improve knowledge of oceanographic and acoustic conditions. The U.S. had . . . — Map (db m40833) HM|
|Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — #14 — Victoria Public Library|
|The Library was built in 1887 - the year of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee - on the old parade ground used by the local militia, yet it was not completed until 1889. It was reputed to have cost UK £568. Public events such as cultural concerts are held on the library grounds, commonly referred to as the Library Tennis Court. — Map (db m30354) HM|