|U.S Virgin Islands, St Croix, Christansted — Danish Customs House|
|This building was the third stop in the local chain of commerce. After conducting business at the Scales and Guinea Company Warehouse, merchants and planters paid import and export taxes to Danish customs officials here in the ground-floor offices.|
The Customs House is linked in other ways to the historic structures. Most have been neoclassical architecture modified for the tropics. Note the louvered windows to regulate light and air flow, the outer shutters, for hurricane protection and . . . — Map (db m60709) HM
|U.S Virgin Islands, St Croix, Christansted — Steeple Building|
|This building was the first Danish Lutheran church on the island—one of the few government buildings not directly involved in international trade. From 1754 to 1831 the Steeple Building was the embodiment of the Danish state religion. All government administrators as well as the fort’s garrison were required to worship there. Official proclamations, such as the abolition of the Danish slave trade, were read from the pulpit.|
Like the Scale House and Guinea Company Warehouse, the . . . — Map (db m60711) HM
|U.S Virgin Islands, St Croix, Christiansted — 12 King Street|
|Two story, masonry, residence and shop, with 4 arcades on lower floor and gingerbread trim on second story balcony. Studio of photographer Alex Ovesen and birthplace of Evelyn Richardson. Owners include Samuel Wescott’s children 1864-1950, Wenona de Castro 1950-1979.|
Placed by St. Croix Historic Preservation Committee 2007 — Map (db m60817) HM
|U.S Virgin Islands, St Croix, Christiansted — Christiansted Wharf — 1830s-1850s|
|Along the wharf you would have heard the creaking of rigging and pulleys as ships unloaded foodstuffs, plantation supplies, and building materials. The scent of sugar and molasses sweetened the air. Down the street plodded oxen, snorting with effort, as they delivered cartloads of rum barrels.|
This was the music of international commerce. Sailors from Denmark, Great Britain, France, and the United States contributed to the blend of languages. Above the clipped Danish of customs officials . . . — Map (db m60815) HM
|U.S Virgin Islands, St Croix, Christiansted — Fort Christiansvaern|
|This fort played a vital role in Christiansted’s international trade. Built at harbor’s edge to protect commercial shipping from pirates and privateers, the fort embodied colonists’ fears as well as economic strength. Here were quartered Danish troops whose primary duty was internal security…to safeguard the island against slave insurrections.|
Completed in 1749, the fort was named Christiansvaern (“Christian’s Defense”) in honor of King Christian VI of Denmark-Norway. This . . . — Map (db m60707) HM
|U.S Virgin Islands, St Croix, Christiansted — Millennium Monument — United States Virgin Islands — January 1, 2000|
|Since the dawn of consciousness, time has been measured by the movement of the sun. This marker, in the year 2000, is a continuum between all who have come before and all who are yet to come. The design concept starts with the Roman numeral “M”= 1000, “MM”=2000. The stone piers represent the abstraction of the two “M”s crossing at 90 degrees to each other. The alignment of the shadow pole and marker pin designates the azimuth of the sun on January 1, 2000. . . . — Map (db m60837) HM|
|U.S Virgin Islands, St Croix, Christiansted — Native American Village and Ceremonial Site — Columbus Landing Site — National Historic Landmark|
|This site marks the only point on the United States Territory where members of the crew of Christopher Columbus came ashore on his second voyage to the New World in November 1493. It also relates to the first recorded altercation between Europeans and the native people of the western hemisphere, at a point on the other side of the bay, known as “Cape of Arrows”. The site on which you stand was a Native American village and ceremonial site, and includes the site of the only known . . . — Map (db m60782) HM|
|U.S Virgin Islands, St Croix, Christiansted — The Jacob Lindberg House — 1768|
|Known later as the Larsen House is a certified historic structure listed in the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m60816) HM|
|U.S Virgin Islands, St Croix, Frederiksted — Fort Frederik — National Historic Landmark|
|This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America — Map (db m60871) HM|
|U.S Virgin Islands, St Croix, Frederiksted — Oscar E. Henry Customs House|
|Eighteenth Century Danish Customs House with nineteenth century addition of the 2nd story gallery. Owner is V.I. Government. Little Altered and in good condition.
Placed by St. Croix Historic Preservation Commission
2006 — Map (db m60873) HM|
|U.S Virgin Islands, St John, Cruz Bay — Establishment of Virgin Islands National Park — A Grassroots Contribution|
|The Virgin Islands government had proposed a territorial park for the Reef Bay region of St. John as early as 1937. This led to feasibility studies by the U.S. Department of the Interior to determine if the resources of St. John warranted the inclusion of the island in the National Park system. After World War II, both a National Recreation Area and National Park were considered.|
While Laurance Rockefeller provided the necessary funding for the purchase of the land that would eventually . . . — Map (db m60712) HM
|U.S Virgin Islands, St John, Cruz Bay — Laurance Rockefeller — Philanthropist|
|In 1956 Laurance S. Rockefeller, financier and conservationist, donated over 5,000 acres through the Jackson Hole Preserve for the establishment of Virgin Islands National Park. While sailing the Caribbean in 1952, he became enchanted with the people and the unspoiled beauty of St. John. The unique natural, cultural and historic resources of the park are protected in perpetuity, thanks to his vision and generosity. — Map (db m60713) HM|
|U.S Virgin Islands, St John, Cruz Bay — Philanthropy in the National Park Service|
|Private philanthropy has a long history and important role in the development of America’s National Park system.|
Charitable donations by the Rockefeller family, notably by Laurance S. Rockefeller, helped to establish, enlarge or improve national parks across the United States. From Maine to Hawaii and Alaska to the Virgin Islands, over two dozen national park sites, including Acadia, Great Smokies, Grand Teton and Yosemite have benefited from his generosity and conservation ethic.
The . . . — Map (db m60716) HM
|U.S Virgin Islands, St John — Annaberg Historic Trail — Annaberg Sugar Mill|
|As you wander the ruins, picture the thriving 18th-19th century sugar factory: big rollers crushing the cane, juice pouring down to the boiling room, and everywhere the thick scent of rum and molasses. This was the Danish plantation era, when sugar dominated the island for 150 years.|
The ¼ mile walk takes about half an hour. For your safety, and to preserve the historic structures, please do no climb on the ruins. — Map (db m60776) HM
|U.S Virgin Islands, St John — Boiling Room|
|Intense heat. Steam rising from huge cauldrons. A foreman shouting to watch the last copper. This empty ruin was once the heart of Annaberg’s sugar operation.
Workers ladled the cane juice from kettle to kettle, gradually concentrating and purifying the boiling liquid. They then poured the juice into flat wooden pans where it cooled and crystallized into sugar.
Timing was critical. If juice were removed too soon from the last kettle, it became molasses instead of sugar crystals. — Map (db m60781) HM|
|U.S Virgin Islands, St John — Horse Mill|
|When the breeze died, mules, horses or oxen plodded an endless circle in the sun while slaves fed cane to the rollers. A box at the base caught and held the juice until the factory called for more.|
In the early 1900’s, after the sugar industry declined, a cattle farmer built the cookhouse on the far side of the platform. — Map (db m60780) HM
|U.S Virgin Islands, St John — Windmill|
|If there was a steady breeze, cane was brought to the windmill. Revolving sails turned a central shaft, rotating the rollers and crushing the stalks. Juice ran down the rollers into the gutter and flowed downhill to the factory.
The windmill, as well as the rest of the factory, was built between 1797 and 1805. It could produce more juice than the horsemill, and involved fewer people and no draft animals.
The now-missing turret carried axle and sails, and could be turned into the wind. — Map (db m60779) HM|
|U.S Virgin Islands, St John, St. John — Slave Quarters|
|Primarily used for sleeping and household storage, typical “wattle and daub”’ huts with woven stick walls (wattle), dirt floors, and tyre palm roofs comprised Annaberg’s slave quarters on the slope below. The exteriors were plastered (daubed) with fresh cow dung, clay, or a mixture of sand, lime, and water.
The bedding was made of sacks stuffed with coconut husks. Cooking and chores were done in the surrounding yard. — Map (db m60777) HM|