Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1093 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 893
 
Locomotive 5588-Canadian National-Spirit of Windsor image, Click for more information
By Don Morfe, July 29, 1995
Locomotive 5588-Canadian National-Spirit of Windsor
Ontario (Essex), Windsor — The Great Western Railway
The main line of “The Great Western”, from Niagara Falls through Hamilton and London to Windsor, was opened in 1854. The company extended its line from Hamilton to Toronto in 1855, from Komoka to Sarnia in 1858, and from Glencoe to Fort . . . — Map (db m100728) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Volkach — Pfarrkirche St. Bartholomäus / St. Bartholomew's Parish Church
Volkachs erste Pfarrkirche stand außerhalb des Ortes auf dem heute als „Kirchberg" bekannten Altenberg. Dort oben wurde Messe gelesen, getauft und beerdigt. Eine dem Heiligen Georg geweihte innerstädtische Pfarrkirche ist dagegen erst nach dem Jahr . . . — Map (db m100610) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Kitzingen), Volkach — Bei einem Backofen / At the Baker's Oven
Bäcker, Brot und Brötchen Vor seinem Backofen steht der Bäcker Hans Bapl und „schießt" mit einer langen Holzschaufel Brot in den Ofen. Das Volkacher Salbuch enthält eine Bäckerordnung von 1415, in der die Her-stellung des . . . — Map (db m100558) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Kitzingen), Volkach — Peter Geist
. . . — Map (db m100528) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Kitzingen), Volkach — Peter Ochs, Metzler / Peter Ochs, the Butcher
Metzger im Spätmittelalter Der Metzger Peter Ochs und sein Geselle Jobst Beutel sind bei ihrem blutigen Handwerk zu sehen. Der Metzger zerlegt den Ochsen, während sein Geselle einen Hammel schlachtet. Geschlachtet wurde im Hof oder vor . . . — Map (db m100527) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Kitzingen), Volkach — Und Davor ein Kapellchen und Almosenstock / And for that a Chapel and Begging Stick
Soziale Fürsorge im Siechenhaus So dürfte das Volkacher Siechenhaus ausgesehen haben: isoliert weit außerhalb der Stadt stand das ärmliche Gebäude. Eine Kapelle, ein Brunnen und ein eigener Hof ermöglichte den Bewohnern ein weitgehend . . . — Map (db m100533) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Kitzingen), Volkach — Von Rechtswegen über das Menschenblut zu richten / A Legal Process Driven by Human Blood
Die Richtstätte auf dem Galgenberg Weit außerhalb der Stadt liegt der Galgenberg: Dort wurden Todesurteile vollstreckt. Volkach war seit 1432 Hochgerichts-bezirk. Das Salbuch zeigt einen Hochgerichtsprozesses gegen einen Weindieb. Der Angeklagte . . . — Map (db m100522) HM
Germany, Hessen, Frankfurt am Main — Friedrich Stoltze Geburtshaus / Birthplace
Zur Erinnerung an das Geburtshaus zum Rebstock  LIT.L87 des Dichters Friedrich Stoltze ✶ 21.11.1816 †28.3.1891 Das Haus fiel 1904 dem Altstadtdurch- bruch zum Opfer [English translation:] . . . — Map (db m100463) HM
Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Johann Wolfgang Textor
Hier stand das Haus des Stadtschultheissen Johann Wolfgang Textor, wo am 19.2.1731 Goethes Mutter geboren wurde [English translation:] Here stood the house of the city educational magistrate, Johann Wolfgang Textor, . . . — Map (db m100612) HM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of San Juan Comalapa), San Juan Comalapa — Rafael Álvarez Ovalle
Municipalidad de San Juan Comalapa Chimaltenango, Guatemala C.A. ¡Trabajemos juntos…!” Rafael Álvarez Ovalle (Comalapa, Chimaltenango, 1858 - Guatemala, 1946) Compositor guatemalteco, autor de la música del Himno Nacional de Guatemala. . . . — Map (db m100386) HM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of San Juan Comalapa), San Juan Comalapa — San Juan Comalapa Memorial to Genocide Victims
Coordinador Nacional de Viudas de Guatemala “Conavigua” “Las osamentas y la historia de la verdad” “En memoria a nuestros niños, niñas, mujeres y hombres quienes fueron victimas del genocidio y la represión en los . . . — Map (db m101213) WM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Bernal Diaz de Castillo
El marcador está hecho de tres paneles Guatemala al insigne “Cronista – Soldado” Don Bernal Diaz del Castillo En el IV centenario de haber concluido su inmortal libro “Historia Verdadera de la Conquista de la . . . — Map (db m100762) HM WM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Zone 1), Guatemala City — House of Miguel Garcia Granados
Aqui vivio y murio el General Miguel Garcia Granados Tribuno y Caudillo de la Revolucion de 1871. Homenaje a su memoria en el primer centenario de su muerte. Guatemala, 8 de septiembre de 1970 SMG English translation: Here lived and . . . — Map (db m100615) HM WM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Zone 1), Guatemala City — José Martí in Guatemala
Jose Marti Vivio en esta casa en 1877 Apostol y mártir de la independencia de Cuba. Su obra de poeta, escritor y político se inspiro en altos ideales de libertad y fraternidad. Amo al pueblo de Guatemala que le rinde este homenaje. . . . — Map (db m100457) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — 1962 Student Protests in Quetzaltenango
Compañero estudiante: Nunca olvides la sangre generosa de los martires universitarias caidos en las gloriosas jornadas de marzo y abril de 1962 que se inmolaron por darte una patria mejor 5º aniversario – A.C.D.O. Quezaltenango, 21 abril . . . — Map (db m100773) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Cathedral of the Holy Spirit
Iglesia del Espíritu Santo (Catedral)El templo original del Espíritu Santo, hoy Catedral, fue el segundo construido en el país (en 1532) Ordenada por el Obispo Francisco Marroquín. La fachada colonial estilo barroco que queda hoy, no es del . . . — Map (db m100806) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Jesús Castillo
El Concejo de la Ciudad de Quetzaltenango exalta a perpetuidad de esta manera la memoria del Maestro Jesus Castillo insigne recreador de la musica Maya-Quiche. Palacio Municipal; IX de Septiembre de MCMLVIII English translation: The . . . — Map (db m100766) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Juan José Ortega
La Municipalidad de Quezaltenango al ilustre Doctor Juan José Ortega en el Primer centenario de su nacimiento. 7 de noviembre de 1958. English translation: The Municipality of Quetzaltenango to the illustrious Doctor Juan José . . . — Map (db m100805) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Osmundo Arriola
Osmundo Arriola 4 XII 1886 – 8 X 1938 Primer poeta laureado ¡Eres Quezaltenango: Como una cumbre, y estas mas cerca de los jardines donde florecen los nardos de oro de las estrellas…! (de “Querido Rincon”) English . . . — Map (db m100800) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Rosario de Paz Chajchalac de Mendizabal
Fraternidad Quetzalteca Al pueblo de Quezaltenango Honor a la primera Reina Indigena Rosario de Paz Chajchalac de Mendizabal Septiembre 1985 Adicional marcador: Certamen Reina Indigena 1934-1979 Mujeres que han representado a la cultura . . . — Map (db m100801) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — The German School of Guatemala
En este lugar funciono el Colegio Aleman de Quetzaltenango, desde su fundación en 1928 hasta su clausura en 1941. En el año del centenario del Colegio Aleman de Guatemala Rendimos homenaje a sus fundadores, directores, maestros y exalumnos. . . . — Map (db m100790) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipalidad de Santo Domingo Xenacoj), Santo Domingo Xenacoj — Parish of Santo Domingo Xenacoj
Para perpetua memoria de futuras generaciones Este templo se principió a construir el año 1580 por Fray Benito de Villacañas. Se terminó de construir en el año de 1604. Se bendijo solemnemente el 15 de septiembre de 1604 por Monseñor Fray Juan . . . — Map (db m100764) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — J. Adrian Coronado y Polanco
Recuerda: Aqui vivio y murio el insigne maestro: J. Adrian Coronado y P. Creador de generaciones dignas y agradecidas. Sus alumnos le dedican a su memoria esta ofrenda: Lic. Manuel Antonio Porras C. Ing. Amando Vides Tobar Lic. Julio Lorenzo . . . — Map (db m100970) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — The Church of the First Bishop of Guatemala
Esta iglesia y este palacio fueron construidos por el Primer Obispo de Guatemala Licenciado Francisco Marroquin que fundo las Primeras Escuelas que hubo en el pais Vino a Guatemala en 1530 Murio en 1563 Fue un modelo de mansedumbre y amor al . . . — Map (db m101001) HM
Guatemala, San Marcos (Municipality of San Marcos) — Bishop Álvaro Leonel Ramazzini Imeri
Avenida Alvaro Leonel Ramazzini Imeri Obispo Agradecimiento a nuestro hermano, amigo y maestro por sus 23 años de incansables enseñanzas de servicio, humildad y ayuda a los más necesitados en la diócesis de San Marcos. ¡Ay de mi si no . . . — Map (db m100996) HM
Guatemala, San Marcos (Municipality of San Pedro Sacatépequez), San Pedro Sacatépequez — General Miguel Garcia Granados
La Municipalidad Sampedrana, construyo este pedestal a la memoria del General y Licenciado Miguel Garcia Granados, Heroe intelectual de la Revolucion del 71. San Pedro Sac. 24 junio 1988 English translation: The Municipality of San . . . — Map (db m100759) HM WM
Guatemala, Sololá (Municipalidad de Nahualá), Nahualá — Manuel Tzoc, Founder of Nahualá
Homenaje a: Manuel Tzoc, fundador del pueblo de Nahuala, en el año 1,871. Señor Dios Todopoderoso, recibe en tu reino a tu siervo Manuel Tzoc y bendice a tu pueblo para que reine la paz y alegría entre sus moradores, por Jesucristo nuestro . . . — Map (db m100765) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — "La Española" Chapel
Ubicación de la Capilla Española del Siglo XVI en la Villa de San Francisco de Campeche; misma que contaba con: nave, sacristía y torre campanario Diciembre de 2000 Sello del UNESCO Patrimonio Mundial, Ciudad Histórica Fortificada de . . . — Map (db m101075) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — "The Palace" Cultural Center
Centro Cultural "El Palacio” El edificio es una reconstrucción del antiguo Palacio de Gobierno, especialmente en sus espacios conocidos como La Aduana y El Principal. En su interior cuenta con un museo de primer nivel cuya función es . . . — Map (db m101078) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — “Tukulná” Handicrafts House
Casa de las Artesanías “Tukulná” De acuerdo con el primer plano regulador de la ciudad de Campeche, elaborado por Francisco de Bazán en 1658,y con el proyectado por Juan Francisco Esquivel en 1663, en este predio ya existía una . . . — Map (db m101080) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Bastion of Santiago
Baluarte de Santiago Este baluarte fue reconstruido a mediados del siglo XX y difiere del modelo original, pero sus actuales elementos permiten una interpretación del sistema defensivo de la ciudad. El original se edificó en 1704 cerca de la . . . — Map (db m101079) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Francisco de Paulo Toro Theater
Teatro “Francisco de Paula Toro” Este teatro fue construido gracias al entusiasmo de un grupo de vecinos, quienes encomendaron al ingeniero Teodoro Journot la supervisión de la construcción. Se inauguró el 15 de septiembre de 1834 . . . — Map (db m101070) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Independence Square
Plaza de la Independencia En 1540 al ser fundada la villa de San Francisco de Campeche, se habilitó este espacio que fungiría como Plaza de Armas, siguiendo los patrones coloniales de la época. En torno a ella se fueron construyendo los . . . — Map (db m101076) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Park of the 4th Centenary San Martín
Parque del IV Centenario San Martín Este parque se encuentra en el lugar conocido como el “Descampado de Guadalupe”, el cual servía como campo de tiro del Baluarte de San José (demolido). Su construcción tuvo lugar durante el . . . — Map (db m101068) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — San Francisco Park
Parque de San Francisco El espacio que ocupa hoy la Plaza de San Francisco perteneció, desde épocas prehispánicas, al antiguo asentamiento maya de Kin Pech, capital del cacicazgo del mismo nombre. Por muchos años fue espacio vacío hasta . . . — Map (db m101087) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Temple and Former Convent of San Francisco de Asís
Templo y Antiguo Convento de San Francisco de Asís Este conjunto monástico se encuentra en lo que fuera el pueblo prehispánico Ah-Kim-Pech, donde los cronistas afirman que en 1517 se ofreció la primera liturgia católica a la llegada de los . . . — Map (db m101086) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Temple of Guadalupe
Templo de Guadalupe En 1575 don Pedro Martín de Bonilla, rico y piadoso vecino de Campeche, costeó la erección en este lugar de una ermita en honor a la Virgen de Guadalupe de Villuercas, a la que se le atribuyen características similares a las . . . — Map (db m100793) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Temple of the Sweet Name of Jesus
Templo del Dulce Nombre de Jesús Durante el siglo XVI, fue una capilla abierta exclusiva para los "morenos" que habitaban en la villa. Posteriormente en el siglo XVIII, debido al auge económico que adquirió el puerto de Campeche y por . . . — Map (db m101072) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — The Birthplace of Justo Sierra Méndez
En esta casa nacio El Maestro Justo Sierra Mendez el 26 de enero de 1848 Homenaje de la Secretaria de Gobernacion 1948 English translation: In this house was born the Master Justo Sierra Méndez on January 26, 1848 Tribute from the . . . — Map (db m101073) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — The Guadalupe Gate
Puerta de Guadalupe Aquí estuvo la Puerta de Guadalupe, construcción del siglo XVII, proyectada y realizada por el Ingeniero Militar alemán Jaime Franck. La puerta de Guadalupe quedo situada a la mitad de la cortina de muralla, entre los . . . — Map (db m101050) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — The Hospital of San Hipolito
Aqui estuvo el Hospital de San Hipolito, primero para dementes que hubo en América Fundado por Bernardino Alvarez 1577. Catálogo de la Insp. Gral. de Monumentos Artísticos e Históricos English translation: Here was the Hospital of San . . . — Map (db m100995) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Benito Juárez in Guanajuato
El C. Benito Juárez, después del golpe de estado de Comonfort, residió aquí del 17 de enero al 13 de febrero de 1858. Erigió esta Ciudad provisionalmente en Capital de la República; constituyó su Gabinete; convocó á los Supremos Poderes y . . . — Map (db m100471) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Casimiro Chowell J.
Casimiro Chowell J. ilustre patriota mexicano fue sacrificado en esta plazuela el día 28 de noviembre de 1810. English translation: Casimiro Chowell Jurado illustrious Mexican patriot, was assassinated in this plaza on November . . . — Map (db m100725) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Diego Rivera House
Casa Diego Rivera Este inmueble corresponde al estilo neoclásico, de donde resulta una construcción de tres pisos o cuerpos. Su nombre se debe a que en esta casa nació y vivió algunos años de su niñez el artista Diego Rivera. Con este motivo, . . . — Map (db m100401) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Enrique Ruelas Espinosa
El teatro en Guanajuato ha sido luz, camino, guía, dignificación del intelecto para una vida mejor Enrique Ruelas Espinosa Lic. Enrique Ruelas Espinosa 20 Oct. 1913 – 6 Oct. 1987 Fundador y Director del Teatro Universitario de Guanajuato . . . — Map (db m100488) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — House of Count Rul
Casa del Conde Rul Hacia el año de 1800 en la Plaza Mayor, hoy Plaza de Paz, se daban los últimos toques a la obra tal vez mas notable de la Arquitectura doméstica en México, conocida en gran parte del siglo XIX y principios del actual como . . . — Map (db m100429) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Ignacio Bartolache
En una casa de este callejón vivio en el año 1739 el ilustre Guanajuatense y matemático Dr. Dn Jignacio Bartolache Homenaje a su memoria H. Ayuntamiento Consti. 1944-45 English translation: In a house on this alley in 1739 lived the . . . — Map (db m100441) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — José Martí in Mexico
“Hacer es la mejor manera de decir” Jose Marti Jose Marti nacio en La Habana, Cuba en 1853 y murió defendiendo la independencia de Cuba en 1895 Ilustre pensador, poeta y filosofo universal que impulso y cultivo la independencia . . . — Map (db m100410) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Legislative Palace
Palacio LegislativoUbicado en la bellísima cuesta del Marqués hoy Plaza de la Paz, este inmueble fue propiedad de los marqueses de San Clemente y luego de los condes de la Valenciana. A finales del siglo XIX fue comprado por el gobierno en . . . — Map (db m100405) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Lieutenant José Francisco Valenzuela
El 28 de Septiembre de 1810 en este lugar el teniente realista irapuatense Dn Jose Francisco Valenzuela honrosamente perdió al vida defendiendo sus banderas contra el ataque de los patriotas Insurgentes English translation: On September . . . — Map (db m100542) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Lucio Marmolejo
El ateneo Doctor Jaime Torres Bodet, A.C. Guanajuato y la Universidad de Gto, como un homenaje al ilustre historiador y humanista Don Lucio Marmolejo en el 1er. centenario de su muerte Guanajuato, Gto. Septiembre – 1985. English . . . — Map (db m100439) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Temple and Plaza San RoqueTemplo y Plaza San Roque — Un Museo llamado Guanajuato / A Museum Called Guanajuato
Originalmente la capilla de hacienda de beneficio de San Francisco de Cevera, el templo fue construido en 1726 por el sacerdote Don Juan José de Sopeña y Cervera. Funcionó de 1746 hasta 1794 como una Santa Escuela de Cristo – una enigmática . . . — Map (db m100487) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Temple of San DiegoTemplo de San Diego — Un Museo llamado Guanajuato / A Museum Called Guanajuato
Aunque hoy en día sólo vemos el Templo de San Diego en medio de grandes ejemplos de arquitectura histórica en la ciudad, este recinto tuvo una interesante historia que data desde los orígenes de la villa, y una construcción que triplicaba las . . . — Map (db m100473) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — The Bethlehemite Convent in Guanajuato
. . . — Map (db m100521) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — The Burning of the Alhóndiga de Granaditas
En este lugar estaba una tienda, de donde el 28 de septiembre de 1810, el Pípila y la muchedumbre tomaron lo necesario para incendiar la puerta principal de la Alhóndiga de Granaditas. Ayuntamiento de Guanajuato 1989-91 English . . . — Map (db m100744) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — The Cemetery of the Convent of the Temple of Bethlehem
Aquí estuvo el cementerio del convento de Belén, donde fueron sepultados varios españoles, entre ellos el Intendente Don Juan Antonio de Riaño y Bárcenas, muertos el 28-IX-1810, en la toma por los insurgentes de la Alhóndiga de Granaditas y ciudad . . . — Map (db m100732) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — The Hidalgo MarketEl Mercado Hidalgo — Un Museo Llamado Guanajuato / A Museum Called Guanajuato
No existe en México otro mercado como este. En su tiempo fue un alarde de tecnología, un lujo y un nuevo símbolo de la suntuosa capital minera. El proyecto estuvo en manos del ingeniero-arquitecto Ernesto Brunel, y el proyecto de la portada al . . . — Map (db m100538) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — The Royal Houses of Guanajuato
Desde el año de 1610 hasta el de 1821, aquí fueron las Casas Reales, y desde la última fecha hasta 1904 fué Palacio del Poder Ejecutivo. Ayuntamiento 1989-91 English translation: From 1610 to 1821 the Royal Houses were located here and . . . — Map (db m100431) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — The Royal Prison of Guanajuato
Real Cárcel, donde el 28 de Septiembre de 1810 fueron libertados los presos por los Insurgentes, que desde luego se unieron al movimiento libertario y ayudaron al triunfo de los patriotas sobre los realistas, en esta ciudad. Comision Estatal de . . . — Map (db m100407) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — The Temple of Bethlehem
“Belen” Principio este templo: 1717. Se concluye: 1775. Ereccion canonica a parroquia, el 21 de noviembre de 1975. Por el Excmo. y Revmo. Sr. Dr. D. Anzelmo Zarza y Bernal, Obispo de Leon. Primer Parroco: Jose Barajas . . . — Map (db m100530) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Zacatlán), Zacatlán — Calvary Chapel of Zacatlán
Capilla del Calvario Edificada probablemente en el siglo XVII, en esta capilla fueron sepultados hacia 1880 los señores Ramón Vicente y Manuel Márquez. Entre 1896 y 1897 los vecinos del barrio de Ayehualulco se unieron para recuperarla al . . . — Map (db m100389) HM WM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Zacatlán), Zacatlán — Franciscan TempleCloister of Franciscan ExConvent
Templo FranciscanoEsta edificación forma parte del conjunto conventual Franciscano construido a mediados del siglo XVI, es de estilo renacentista, su planta arquitectónica es de tipo basilical que consta de 3 naves que se dividen por hileras de . . . — Map (db m100390) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Zacatlán), Zacatlán — House of Ramón Marquez Galindo
Casa de Ramón Marquez Galindo Cuna de quien en la heróica batalla del 5 de mayo en Puebla, al caer herido el General Juan N. Méndez, asumiera el mando del 6º. Batallón de Guardias Nacionales de Puebla integrado por personal de Zacatlán, . . . — Map (db m100388) HM WM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Zacatlán), Zacatlán — Manuela Álvarez Elementary School
Jardín de niños Manuela Álvarez Pablo Urrutia en su carácter de jefe político, inició la construcción de este edificio que data del siglo XIX. Incitó a los vecinos para llevar a cabo la construcción y fue inaugurado el 12 de mayo de 1945 siendo . . . — Map (db m100398) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Zacatlán), Zacatlán — The House of Culture of Zacatlán
Casa de la CulturaEsta institución se ubica en el edificio de lo que antiguamente fue el claustro del Convento Franciscano, se construyó a principios de la segunda mitad del siglo XVI. Actualmente en este edificio se albergan las . . . — Map (db m100396) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Fountain of Santa Rosa
Fuente de Santa RosaEsta sencilla fuente o caja de agua se construyó en la calle de la Estampa de Santa Rosa, de donde tomó su nombre. Ubicada en el muro poniente del Templo de Santa Rosa de Viterbo, no se sabe a ciencia cierta la fecha de . . . — Map (db m100617) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — José M. Arteaga
En memoria del patriota Gobernador Gral. Jose M. Arteaga Protector de la instrucción popular Queretaro, Octubre, 21 de 1888. English translation: In memory of the patriot Governor General José María Arteaga Protector of popular . . . — Map (db m100746) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Mexico's Ratification of the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo
En este Edificio, el 19 de mayo de 1848, el Congreso de la Unión ratificó el Tratado de Paz, de Guadalupe Hidalgo, firmado con los Estados Unidos de Norte América el 2 de febrero del mismo año. En diciembre de 1916 se celebraron aquí, las Juntas . . . — Map (db m100747) HM WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Temple and Convent of San Antonio
Templo y Convento de San AntonioEn 1613 se inició la construcción del Convento por los religiosos franciscanos adscritos a la observancia de los dieguinos. Templo y convento quedaron bajo la advocación de San Antonio de Padua y al cuidado de la . . . — Map (db m100752) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — The Waterway of the Sad Indian
Alcantarilla del Indio TristeFue una de las más importantes de la ciudad por la cantidad de agua que recibía; formó parte del sistema de distribución de agua limpia con el que contó la ciudad, su finalidad era contabilizar las tuberías que . . . — Map (db m100749) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Muncipality of San Miguel of Cozumel), San Miguel de Cozumel — The First Mass Celebrated in Mexico
En esta isla de Cozumel, en un lugar situado a pocos metros de este templo, se celebro la primera misa en territorio nacional. La celebro el Padre Juan Diaz, Capellan de la expedicion que encabezaba el Capitan Don Juan de Grijalva, el 6 de mayo de . . . — Map (db m101346) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of San Miguel de Cozumel), San Miguel de Cozumel — Benito Juárez García
Lic. Benito Juárez García Presidente de México 1858-1872 San Pablo de Guelatao Oaxaca, México 21 de marzo de 1806 México, D.F. 18 de junio de 1872 Insigne patriota Impulsor de México moderno con las Leyes de Reforma Restaurador de la . . . — Map (db m101343) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of San Miguel de Cozumel), San Miguel de Cozumel — Cozumel's Tribute to the Defenders of the Nation
Cozumel Rinde homenaje a los Defensores de la Patria en el centenario de la primera Invasión Norteamericana Septiembre 13 de 1947. Reversa: Teniente Juan de la Barrera · Cadete Juan Escutia · Cadete Agustin Melgar · Cadete Francisco . . . — Map (db m101348) WM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of San Miguel de Cozumel), San Miguel de Cozumel — General Rafael E. Melgar
Gral. Rafael E. Melgar Yanhuitlán, Oax. 1887 Mexico D.F. 21 de marzo 1959 Excelente Gobernador del Territorio de Quintana Roo, de 1935 a 1940. Sus obras públicas y su compromiso social trascienden hasta nuestros días. Cozumel, Q. Roo, 2007. . . . — Map (db m101414) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of San Miguel de Cozumel), San Miguel de Cozumel — Tribute to the 201st Squadron of the Mexican Expeditionary Force
Reconocimiento del Pueblo de Cozumel A la heroica participación de la “Fuerza Aérea Expedicionaria Mexicana Escuadrón 201”, también conocida como “Águilas Aztecas”, en misiones de combate durante la II Guerra . . . — Map (db m100885) WM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Solidaridad), Playa del Carmen — Chapel of Our Lady of Carmen
Capilla de Nuestra Sra del Carmen 113 Aniversario - Playa de Carmen, Historia Viva Construida originalmente alrededor del año 1960 por las primeras familias de Playa del Carmen. Para su construccion se emplearon materiales como piedras de . . . — Map (db m101337) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Solidaridad), Punta Laguna — Otoch Ma’ax Yetel Kooh Ramsar Site
Sitio Ramsar – Área de Protección de Flora y Fauna Otoch Ma’ax Yetel Kooh Ramsar Convención sobre los Humedales (Ramsar, Irán 1971)Este sitio está ubicado en el Municipio de Valladolid, Yucatán y se inscribió a la lista Ramsar el 2 de . . . — Map (db m101335) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Tulum), Cobá — The Coba Group
Grupo Cobá Situado entre los lagos Cobá y Macanxoc, es el de mayor tamaño y concentración de edificios en todo Cobá. Cuenta con 43 estructuras, varios patios, cuartos abovedados, una gran plaza, un juego de pelota y diversas estelas. De este . . . — Map (db m101077) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Adjoining Rooms
Cuartos adyacentes Frente a las Siete Muñecas, hacia el poniente, se alinean tres cuartos con doble crujía (4 a 9) y uno sencillo (10) todos ellos sobre plataformas menores. Al sur hay otro cuarto doble (3) y al este uno sencillo (2). . . . — Map (db m101173) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Central Square
Plaza Central La superficie de esta plaza cubre alrededor de 12,240 m2.; tuvo un piso de estuco, hoy desaparecido casi en su totalidad. Esta rodeada por una serie de edificios, cuyas escalinatas se orientan hacie el centro de la plaza. La . . . — Map (db m101108) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Dzibilchaltún Archaeological Site
Este sitio de cultura maya, muy próximo a la costa norte de Yucatán, se sustentaba en una economía marino-litoral, además de agrícola. Su ocupación más temprana debió de ser alrededor del año 300 a.C. y se mantuvo poblado hasta la conquista. La . . . — Map (db m101092) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Edifice 44
Edificio 44 Es una estructura de gran volumen constructivo; mide 130 m. de largo y tiene una escalinata al frente, quizá la más larga de Mesoamérica. Presenta cuatro épocas constructivas: al oeste se encuentra la primera, que finaliza . . . — Map (db m101107) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Sacbe 1
Sacbé 1 Este camino artificial o “sacbé” mide 20 m. de ancho; se inicia al este de la plaza central y 400 m. después, en la misma dirección, entronca con la gran plataforma que sustenta los edificios en torno de la construcción . . . — Map (db m101137) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Structure 36
Estructura 36 Es una pirámide parcialmente liberada compuesto por cuatro plataformas cuadradas y escalonadas, de 9.40 m. de altura, con escalera de acceso por el sur y hacia la plaza central, lugar desde donde los antiguos mayas seguramente . . . — Map (db m101096) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Substructure 38
Subestructura 38 Es uno de los edificios abovedados más antiguos de Dzibilchaltun. Se construyó con mampostería burda y su bóveda fue techada con la técnica de piedras saledizas. Por la cerámica encontrada en el escombro que rellenaba este . . . — Map (db m101135) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — The Habitational Complex
El contexto habitacional Este conjunto de carácter domestico ocupa una superficie de poco más de 4000 m2. Se compone de una plataforma mayor al centro y alrededor de ella se sitúan otras plataformas menores: dos se le adosan, dos más se sitúan . . . — Map (db m101170) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — The Open Chapel
Capilla Abierta La construcción de la capilla se puede fechar entre 1590 y 1600; su ubicación dentro de la Plaza Central sugiere que en este espacio, ya desde tiempos prehispánicos se llevaban a cabo ceremonias importantes, que se prolongaron . . . — Map (db m101101) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — The Seven Dolls
Las Siete Muñecas El edificio debe su nombre a una ofrenda de siete muñecas burdos de barro, que se encontraron en su interior. Esta construcción es de plant cuadrangular, con una cámara cenral rodeada por un corredor. Su techo formaba una . . . — Map (db m100799) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — "El Colonial"
El Colonial Esta histórica esquina lleva el nombre del Teatro Colonial que trajo a los meridianos de entonces años de entretenimiento y diversión. Inaugurado el viernes 2 de noviembre de 1934 con una función de gala, el establecimiento era . . . — Map (db m101088) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — "Los Peones"
Los PeonesEn el edificio ubicado al noroeste de este inmueble, se encuentra la esquina llamada “Los Peones” o “La panificadora” sobre la cual dice Gonzalo Cámara Zavala en su relación de calles de Mérida, que lleva este . . . — Map (db m101301) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — "The Louvre"(Former home of the founders of Mérida)
"El Louvre" (Antigua casa de fundadores de Mérida)Este antiguo edificio ocupa el lugar donde en tiempos de la fundación de Mérida estuvo un "cerro" o montículo que según se cree, era un monumento prehispánico semioculto ya por la maleza y la . . . — Map (db m101195) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — "The Omnibus"
El Omnibus Esta equina ya recibía el nombre de “El Omnibus” en la relación que registra Gonzalo Cámara Zavala en 1948 debido a que en 1889 se estableció el primer servicio urbano de camiones de tracción animal para pasajeros. Se le . . . — Map (db m101208) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary
Capilla de Nuestra Señora del Rosario del Hospital de San Juan de Dios Patrimonio de la NaciónEn esta manzana ubicada al norte de la Catedral estuvo el convento y hospital de la orden de San Juan de Dios, institución que prestó servicios a la . . . — Map (db m101232) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Gabriel Vicente Gahona y Pasos, "Picheta"
En esta casa falleció el 1º de marzo de 1899. El Artista Grabador. Don Gabriel Vicente Gahona y Pasos (Picheta) La Sociedad Yucateca de Grabadores Le rinde este homenaje en el Cincuentenario de su muerte Marzo 1º de 1949 English . . . — Map (db m101091) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — House of Writer José Peón Contreras
Casa del escritor José Peón ContrerasLa casa forma parte de una serie de residencias próximas que fueron todas habitadas por diferentes integrantes de la familia Peón. Entre todas ellas, según escribe el investigador Francisco de Montejo . . . — Map (db m101300) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Pedz Balam House
Casa Pedz Balam Calle 60 x 61 No. 500En lo profundo de los muros de Mérida se pueden descubrir las piedras labradas que en este mismo Centro Histórico levantaron – desde el siglo III a.C. hasta el siglo XVI de nuestra era – las . . . — Map (db m101209) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Temple of San Juan de Dios
Templo de San Juan de DiosAtribuido en un principio a Nuestra Señora del Rosario, el Templo de San Juan de Dios terminó de construirse el 18 de mayo de 1562. Provisionalmente sirvió de Catedral durante la construcción de ésta, de modo que puede . . . — Map (db m101215) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The House of Montejo
Casa de Montejo Patrimonio de la NaciónConstruida por Montejo el Mozo por indicaciones de su padre D. Francisco de Montejo en 1540, en la fachada sólo se conserva la Portada de lo que fue la edificación original, la cual ocupó toda la manzana. . . . — Map (db m101299) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Little Rooster
El Gallito Calle 63 No. 502 x 60 Patrimonio de la NaciónEsta edificación se inició en el siglo XVIII, sustituyendo a una construcción más austera. Durante la intervención francesa, fue residencia temporal de la Emperatriz Carlota Amalia en su . . . — Map (db m101240) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Main Square of Merida
La Plaza Principal de MéridaMérida fue fundada en 1542 por los españoles sobre la antigua ciudad maya de T'Hó. Las edificaciones megaliticas de esta ciudad prehispánica, cuyos orígenes se remontan al periodo preclásico tardío (300 a.c. 300 . . . — Map (db m101302) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Municipal Palace
Palacio Municipal Patrimonio de la NaciónEdificado en donde estuvo la plataforma de un edificio prehispánico conocido como Backluumchaan desde la fundación de la ciudad española, el Palacio Municipal tal y como se aprecia, tiene su origen en . . . — Map (db m101304) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Peninsular Athenaeum
Ateneo Peninsular Patrimonio de la NaciónEl Ateneo Peninsular se encuentra en el edificio del siglo XVII que fue sede del Palacio Episcopal, y que ocupó el costado izquierdo de la Catedral de San lldefonso. Ente los siglos XIX y XX fue . . . — Map (db m101235) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Sheriff's House
Casa del Aguacil Calle 62 No. 500 por 61 Patrimonio de la Nación Habitada en 1783 por D. José Cano Alguacil Mayor de Mérida English translation: The Sheriff’s House No. 500 on 62nd Street at the corner of 61st Street Heritage of the . . . — Map (db m101176) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Valladolid — House of Governor Francisco Canton Rosado
Casa del Gobernador Francisco Cantón RosadoEste edificio de la calle 37 x 44 es en donde nació el ex Gobernador Vallisoletano Francisco Cantón Rosado. Es una casa característica de la clase media en el Periodo Colonial pues es de una sola . . . — Map (db m101310) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — Church of San Servacio
Iglesia de San ServacioLa iglesia de San Servacio está en el centro de la ciudad al costado sur de la plaza principal, sustituye a la que se erigió el 24 de marzo de 1545 por el padre Francisco Hernández cuya fachada miraba hacia el poniente . . . — Map (db m101308) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — Francisco Cantón Rosado Park
Parque Francisco Canton Rosado La población de Valladolid solía tener en el centro un área cuadrada de 100 m2, en el que se conservaba una pirámide maya que fue demolida por los conquistadores quienes usaron las piedras para la edificación de . . . — Map (db m101306) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — Regional Artisans' Center “Zací”
Centro Regional de Artesanías “Zací”Es probable que originalmente haya sido parte del inmueble que hoy conocemos como la Casa Cural, subdivida y remodelada a fines del siglo XIX con su segundo piso y fachada con estilo francés muy . . . — Map (db m101318) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — The Catholic Parsonage of Valladolid
Casa CuralHermosa casa colonial, por su ubicación en esquina y por estar frente a la plaza principal, así como por sus características arquitectónicas. Seguramente fue casa de un conquistador y posteriormente de sus descendientes hasta el Siglo . . . — Map (db m101316) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — The Valladolid Artisans' Market
Mercado de ArtesaníasNo se tiene fecha exacta de la construcción de este edificio, pero se cree que debió ser del periodo de gobierno del Vallisoletano Francisco Cantón Rosado (finales del Siglo XIX y principios del Siglo XX). En los años 20’s . . . — Map (db m101313) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Aart Klein
. . . — Map (db m100484) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Badhuis Diamantbuurt (Public Baths)
[Top panel:]
Architect Arend Jan Westerman (1884-1966) Opdrachtgever Gemeente Amsterdam Bouwjaren 1925-1926 Middenin de Diamantbuurt werd in 1926 dit voormalig gemeentebadhuis geopend. Destijds hadden de huizen in de omgeving . . . — Map (db m100516) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Benedictus de Spinoza (1632-1677), Amsterdammer, Filosoof/Philosopher
Spinoza is op deze plaats als zoon van joodse vluchtelingen geboren. Zijn belangrijkste werk is de Ethica. Daarin verwerpt hij alle traditionele voorstellingen van God en stelt hij dat de ogenschijnlijk chaotische natuur is onderworpen aan . . . — Map (db m100803) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Christiaan Andriessen
. . . — Map (db m100510) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Herman Gorter
In huis was 't donker, paar de stille straat Vergaarde schemer, man de lucht blonk laat Nog licht, er viel een gouden blanke schijn Over de gevels in mein raamkozijn. De dichter HERMAN GORTER woonde hier van 1882 tot 1887 . . . — Map (db m100486) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Joods Verzetsmonument /Jewish Resistance Monument
לזכרון לוחמי המחתרת בשנות ת”ש - תש”ה Ter herinnering aan het . . . — Map (db m100519) WM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Claustraal Huis van Oudemunster / Canon House of the Former Oudmunster Church
Zijgevel uit ca 1540 van een middeleeuws huis van een kanunnik van de verdwenen kerk van Oudmunster of St Salvator (omtrek in het plaveisel van het Domplein). Fraai voorbeeld van vroege Renaissance-architectuur met beeldhouwwerk en muurankers. Het . . . — Map (db m100462) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — De Zakkendrager / The Porters
Achter deze poort lag de gildekamer van de zakkendragers. Zij waren in dienst van de stad en sjouwden zakken met graan, turf en kolen uit schepen. Er werd gedobbeld om het werk te verdelen. Na 1622 kwam het gilde in twee groepen bijeen. De . . . — Map (db m100400) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Doopsgezinde Kerk / Mennonite Church
De Nederlands Hervormde Kerk was in Utrecht sinds 1580 de enige toegestane kerk. ln het midden van de 18de eeuw werd men toleranter tegenover andere protestanten, zoals de Lutheranen en Doopsgezinden. Zij mochten kerken bouwen, mits deze niet . . . — Map (db m100399) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Het Runensteen van Jelling Afgietsel / The Jelling Runestone Replica
Afgietsel van den runensteen door Koning Harald omstreeks 980 geplaatst te Jelling in Jutland, Denemarken. haraltr : kunukʀ : baþ : kaurua kubl : þausi : aft : kurm faþur sin auk aft : þąurui : muþur : sina : sa haraltr (:) . . . — Map (db m100605) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — In Het Voetspuur Van Sint Maarten / In the Footsteps of Saint Martin
In de 4e eeuw was Martinus bisschop van de stad Tours in Frankrijk. Hij maakte diepe indruk door zijn zorg de allerarmsten. Van meet af aan volgden velen hem na. Zij trokken zijn spoor door heel Europa. Ook in Utrecht. Al sinds de 7e eeuw is . . . — Map (db m100625) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Maartensbrug en Oude Gracht / "St. Martin's Bridge" on the Old Canal
De brug waar u op staat, de Maartensbrug, is genoemd paar St Maarten, het patroonheilige van de Dom en de stad. De oudste vermelding van de (houten) brug is uit 1196, maar er moet er in ieder geval al een geweest zijn omstreeks 1125, toen . . . — Map (db m100449) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Mariakerk / St. Mary's Church
Op deze plaats stond vroeger de Mariakerk, afgebeeld aan de overkant, op de zijmuur van nr. 17. In 1845 werd hier het gebouw voor Kunsten en Wetenschappen gebouwd. thans conservatorium. De 11.e eeuwse Romaanse kloostergang (kruisgang) is bewaard . . . — Map (db m100609) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Paleis Lofen
Van het middeleeuwse stadsverblijf der duitse keizers - 10e tot 13e eeuw - zijn slechts resten van de onderverdieping, daterend uit begin 11e eeuw, overgebleven. Stadsbranden in 1154 en 1253 werd Lofen verwoest. Waarna de onderbouw, waarop drie . . . — Map (db m100543) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — St. Jacobsgasthuis / St. James' Guest House
Het pand rechts (nr. 213) was het hoofdhuis van het St. Jacobsgasthuis, waar pelgrims naar Santiago de Compostella onderdak kregen. Naast een ziekenzaal en een passantenverblijf bezat het gasthuis een kapel. Achter het deurtje rechts begint de . . . — Map (db m100414) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Universiteit Utrecht / Utrecht University
De Universiteit Utrecht Dit Academiegebouw werd ln 1896 door de stad Utrecht aan de universiteit geschonken. Het is nog altijd haar ceremoniële hart, waar de grote academische plechtigheden plaats vinden. In de medaillons onder . . . — Map (db m100616) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Utrechtse Sodomieprocessen / Utrecht Sodomy Trials
18e eeuw Sodomie Baron Blomsaet en 17 andere mannen werden in Utrecht veroordeeld en gewurgd Hun daden verzwegen Vandaag Homoseksualiteit Mannen en vrouwen kiezen in vrijheid [English translation:] 18th . . . — Map (db m100424) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Verzetsmonument Utrecht / Utrecht Resistance Monument
1940 - 1945 Gedenk uw dooden die den goeden strijd gestreden hebben in gerechtigheid. Draagt voort hun vlam, zij zijn gebleven, maar in dien gloed wordt ons nieuw leven. [English translation:] Remember your dead, those . . . — Map (db m100607) WM
Scotland, West Lothian, Linlithgow — Linlithgow PalaceWest Range
English The west range, the plainest of the four fronts of the palace, was completed about 1504 in the reign of James IV. The row of large rectangular windows at the first floor level represent a suite of royal rooms: from left to right, . . . — Map (db m86250) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Bay Minette — A County Older Than the State, Baldwin County
Side 1 Third oldest county in Alabama. Created in 1809 while still part of Mississippi Territory. Named for Abraham Baldwin (1754-1807) founder of University of Georgia, delegate to Constitutional Convention, . . . — Map (db m100839) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Bay Minette — Baldwin County Eternal Flame Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the Glory of God and in Honor of the Veterans of all Wars — Map (db m100865) WM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Bay Minette — Bay Minette Korean War Memorial
Battery B 711th AAA Gun Battalion Alabama National Guard Bay Minette, Alabama [List of names in 3 columns] 4 September 1950 Korean War — Map (db m100941) WM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Bay Minette — Bay Minette, Alabama
Side 1 In 1860, the center of commerce in Baldwin County ran along the rivers with the remainder of the county mostly wilderness. In 1861, with secession declared, the Alabama Legislature allocated funds to finish the stalled Mobile . . . — Map (db m100846) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Bay Minette — Bottle Creek Site
Bottle Creek Site has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses National Significance in Commemorating the History of the United States of America . . . — Map (db m100849) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Bay Minette — Judge Harry Toulmin(1766 – 1823)
Born and educated in England, Toulmin became a Unitarian Minister and fled persecution in 1793. In the U.S. he served as President of Transylvania University and Secretary of the State of Kentucky. In 1804 Thomas Jefferson appointed him as the first . . . — Map (db m100850) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Daphne — 1814 ~ ~ ~ 1977General Andrew Jackson
  Standing on a low limb of a giant oak tree near here, General Andrew Jackson made a pep talk to his troops, fresh from their victory at the Battle of Horse Shoe Bend and poised before advancing on the British and Spanish at Pensacola, and the . . . — Map (db m100852) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Daphne — City of DaphneIncorporated July 8, 1927
The City of Daphne was incorporated July 8, 1927 with a population of 500. its history, however, dates to a much earlier period. Research and artifacts show that Tensaw, Alabama, Choctaw, Creeks, and Seminole Indians all lived in the this area prior . . . — Map (db m100843) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Daphne — Little Bethel Baptist Church:
On April 15, 1867, Major Lewis Starke deeded these two acres to four of his ex-slaves and their heirs as trustees for this church: Nimrod Lovett, Stamford Starlin (now Sterling), Narcis Elwa, and Benjamin Franklin. In this cemetery is buried . . . — Map (db m100851) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Daphne — Patriot's Point Memorial
Patriot's Point Memorial This Memorial is Dedicated to All the Brave Men and Women Who Proudly Served in the United States Armed Forces Protecting Freedom Around the World — Map (db m100864) WM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — 173d Airborne Brigade (Sep)1963 — 1971
In commemoration of all Sky Soldiers whose valor and sacrifice in defense of South Vietnam must never be forgotten "All Gave Some – Some Gave All" — Map (db m100946) WM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — 1st Division, U.S. Colored Troops
This earthen mound was part of a redoubt constructed by the 1st Division, U.S. Colored Troops in April, 1865. The regiment saw considerable action against Confederate warships protecting the Blakely River. These earthworks have been preserved as a . . . — Map (db m100853) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Albert Carey Danner — 1843~1921
  Born in Winchester, Virginia, he moved to Missouri where at age 17 he enlisted in the State Guard. In 1861 he became a Private in the Confederate States Army, was captured during the Battle of Wilson's Creek and escaped.   Captain Danner . . . — Map (db m100880) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Bay of the Holy Spirit
The earliest outline of a recognizable bay on the northern coast of the Gulf of Mexico was shown on a 1507 map by German cartographer Martin Waldeseemuller–the same map to first apply the name "America" to the New World. Alonso Álvarez de . . . — Map (db m100841) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Caisson Trace
A trail used in early times by Indians, Spanish Explorers, French Settlers and later by soldiers during the battle of Spanish Fort 1865. At one time a stream driven train paralleled this trace. Its ancient road bed can still be seen south of this . . . — Map (db m100877) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Confederate Drive
Named in honor of the 1,810 Men in Gray who defended the eastern approaches to Mobile in the battle of Spanish Fort March 26 ~ April 8-9, 1865. Here Brig. Gen. R. L. Gibson, C.S.A. engaged “…more than 20,000” enemy troops in the last . . . — Map (db m100878) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Confederate Main Line of Resistance(The Battle of Spanish Fort, March 26-April 9, 1865)
Twenty-nine Union field guns, manned by men of the 3d Indiana, 1st Illinois and 2d Iowa Batteries, shelled these Confederate trenches for 13 consecutive days and nights. The fact that these trenches were never breached, attests to the courage of . . . — Map (db m100873) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Confederate Redoubt No. 3 / Gibson’s Brigade
Side 1 Capt. Cuthbert Slocomb of the 5th Company, Washington Artillery of New Orleans, commanded Redoubt No. 3, also known as Battery Blair, consisted of one 8-inch Columbiad, two 12-pound Napoleons, one 3-inch ordinance rifle, and . . . — Map (db m100871) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Confederate Redoubt No. 4 / Holtzclaw's Brigade
Side 1 Redoubt No. 4 was part of the Confederate line known as Red Fort. Capt. John Phillip’s Tennessee Light Artillery manned the redoubt until they were relieved on April 4, 1865 by Garrity's Alabama Light Artillery. Lt. Henry . . . — Map (db m100866) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Confederate Redoubt No. 5 / Ector's Brigade
Side 1 Also called the Sandbag Battery, Redoubt No. 5 was originally commanded by Lt. Andrew Hargrove of Lumsden's Tuscaloosa Battery, Company F, 2nd Alabama Light Artillery Battalion. During the early stages of the battle, Lumsden's . . . — Map (db m100875) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Fort McDermott
From this Confederate Fort 15 heavy artillery guns, repelled elements of 2 Union Army Corps, routed 5 ironclad monitors attacking up the Blakely River and for 13 days helped prevent the capture of Mobile until after General Lee's Surrender at . . . — Map (db m100911) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Fort McDermott
Highest point along 2 miles of Confederate battle lines extending east and north. Here 200 soldiers from Georgia, Louisiana & Arkansas, held off a numerically superior Union Force for thirteen days and nights in the last battle of the War Between . . . — Map (db m100913) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Ft. McDermott Confederate Memorial Park
Dedicated to the men of the Confederate States of America who valiantly fought for our American liberties, "Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed... whenever any form of government becomes . . . — Map (db m100936) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Red Fort
Built of red clay, armed with 12 heavy guns and served by 307 crack Confederate Artilleryman from Batteries Perry (Tenn.) Phillips (Tenn.) Lumsden (Ala.) and Garrity (Mobile, Ala.). It was the keystone in the defense of Spanish Fort, 1865. — Map (db m100868) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Spanish Fort
Rendezvous for Indians, Spanish, French and English Explorers. In 1865, Three Confederate Brigades, outnumbered 10 to 1, engaged the Army of West Mississippi (Union Forces) in the last battle of the War Between the States. March 26~April 9, 1865. — Map (db m100844) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Spanish FortAlabama
Historic Spot of the Deep South Map (db m100845) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — The 8th Iowa InfantryBattle of Spanish Fort
On the evening of April 8th, 1865, while the Confederate fortifications were being shelled by Union artillery, the 8th Iowa Infantry advanced from near this point to the Confederate left and captured a part of the works, in hand to hand fighting. . . . — Map (db m100883) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — The Final Assault
At dusk on April 8, 1865, 300 yards west of this site, the Union Army's 8th lowa Infantry and three Illinois Regiments breached the Confederate main line of resistance. Under the cover of night, troops holding the thin gray line spiked their guns . . . — Map (db m100855) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — The Union First Parallel / Union Siege Battery No. 16
Side 1 The main Union siege line during the Battle of Spanish Fort ran along this ridge. Brig. Gen. Eugene Carr's Division occupied the right flank of the Union line between here and Minette Bay. Carr's men initially faced Confederate . . . — Map (db m100857) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Union Siege Battery No. 21 / 3rd Brigade of Carr's Division
Side 1 Located on this bluff overlooking Minette Bay, Battery No. 21 anchored the right flank of Maj. Gen. Edward Canby's Army of West Mississippi during the Battle of Spanish Fort. Maj. Gen. Andrew Smith's XVI Army Corps occupied the . . . — Map (db m100854) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Women's Veterans MemorialAlabama State Veterans Memorial Cemetery
Dedicated to all women veterans who have served, sacrificed and suffered for our nation. Your patriotism and courage are greatly appreciated and will never be forgotten. [Seals of the U.S. Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps & . . . — Map (db m100943) WM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — Chief Eufaula (Yoholo Micco)In Life and Legend — Creek Heritage Trail
"Chief Eufaula," the man often referred to in the historical record as "Yoholo Micco," was a Creek chieftain from the Upper Creek town of Eufaula. Born in the late 1700s, he fought alongside allied Creeks with United States forces against his Red . . . — Map (db m101427) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — In Honor of All World War II Veterans
[Title is text] Roll of honor Front & Rear Map (db m101418) WM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The City of Eufaula — Creek Heritage Trail
The Second Creek war resulted in the final expulsion of the Creeks from eastern Alabama and paved the way for large-scale American settlement. The town of Irwinton gradually expanded westward from the bluff overlooking the Chattahoochee in the years . . . — Map (db m101361) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The Creek Town of Eufaula — Creek Heritage Trail
The area surrounding Eufaula was once part of a regional Creek population center. Towns of note in the region included Sawokli (also known as Sabacola) and the town of Eufaula for which the modern city is named. Trails linked these closely-connected . . . — Map (db m101355) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The Second Creek War in the Eufaula Area — Creek Heritage Trail
In 1836 long-simmering tensions between Creeks and American settlers erupted into warfare. The Creeks, crowded onto the last portion of their ancestral homeland and witnessing the rampant theft of their lands, had also become subject to harsh laws . . . — Map (db m101360) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The Town of Irwinton — Creek Heritage Trail
A small group of American settlers from Georgia formed a community called Eufaula in this vicinity as early as 1823. The settlement began to grow in importance later in the decade through the influence of prominent local landholder and Creek War . . . — Map (db m101357) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The Tree That Owns Itself
The Tree That Owns Itself Planned and Dedicated April 19, 1961 Replacing the Walker Oak Felled by Wind April 9, 1961 Original Deed Granted by City of Eufaula to the Post Oak Tree April 8, 1936 . . . — Map (db m101286) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — World War I Doughboy
To Those Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice 1917 — World War — 1918 John Asbury Boswell Robert W. Brannon-Hinton W. Holleman Porter R. Doughtie-Daniel T. Tully Lest We Forget. — Map (db m101350) WM
Alabama (Conecuh County), Repton — Historic and Beautiful Repton
Side 1 In the early 1900s, Repton was a bustling railroad town along the Louisville and Nashville Railroad. Among other businesses, it boasted several hotels, banks, stores, a livery stable, cotton gin and the only hospital with a Board . . . — Map (db m100840) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Bent But Not Broken
A tribute to the citizens of Cullman County for bending, but not breaking, following the EF4 tornado on April 27, 2011. Dedicated: April 27, 2013 Designed by: Cullman City Street Dept. — Map (db m101094) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Combat Wounded VeteransMilitary Order of the Purple Heart — 1782-1932
Dedicated To The Recipients Of The Nation's Oldest Military Decoration "The Purple Heart" Combat Wounded Veterans Military Order of the Purple Heart 1782 - 1932 My stone is red for the . . . — Map (db m101168) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Cullman County Confederate Memorial
This monument is dedicated to the brave men of the Confederacy, who gave their lives and livelihood for the noble cause. Mere words on a stone are little tribute to the measure they gave. But we do this so that future . . . — Map (db m101105) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Cullman County Korean War Memorial
Dedicated in memory of those from Cullman County who gave their lives in the service of their country Korean War Aubrey G. Adams • John Mayfield A. P. Alvis • Leo A. Ponder Leo D. Andrews • Norman Rivers William A. Bates . . . — Map (db m101104) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Cullman County Vietnam Memorial
Dedicated in memory of those from Cullman County who gave their lives in the service of their country Vietnam War [Honor Roll] Map (db m101164) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Cullman County World War I Memorial
Dedicated in memory of those from Cullman County who gave their lives in the service of their country World War I Abercrombie Sam • McCain Rudolphus Baker George N. • McConnell William Bates General D. • Morgan William W. . . . — Map (db m101165) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Cullman County WWII Memorial
Dedicated in memory of those from Cullman County who gave their lives in the service of their country World War II Map (db m101163) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — King Pharr Canning Company Operated Here1946~1976
In 1946, the McPhillips family brought King Pharr Canning Company, a major vegetable canning operation to Cullman. Led by chairman Julian B. McPhillips of Mobile, and his two sons Julian L. McPhillips and W. Warren McPhillips (returning from Navy . . . — Map (db m101093) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Marion Albert HillNov. 13, 1895 — Feb. 3. 1979
The Cullman County native was the first man drafted in America for World War I. His Selective Service number 258, was the first one drawn in the U.S. Senate Building in Washington D.C. on July 20, 1917. 10,500 men were drafted that . . . — Map (db m101097) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Operation Iraqi Freedom - Afghanistan Memorial
. . . — Map (db m101103) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — PFC Patrick BatesCullman County, Alabama
K Company 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marine Division Last American soldier killed in combat, WWII. Shot in back of ear, right side, by a Japanese sniper in Guam. Buried, Punchbowl National Cemetery, Honolulu, Hawaii — Map (db m101098) HM WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — UDC Confederate Memorial
. . . — Map (db m101106) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Vinemont — Streight’s RaidThe Battle of Hog Mountain
"This was a glorious fight, one that did the soldiers' hearts good to look upon, made there in the mountains in the darkness of the night, almost hand-to-hand, with only the light from the vivid flash of the artillery and . . . — Map (db m101089) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Vinemont — Streight’s RaidA Failed Campaign
"The thanks of Congress are again due to General N. B. Forrest and the officers and men of his command, for meritorious service in the field, and especially for the daring, skill, and perseverance exhibited in the pursuit . . . — Map (db m101090) HM
Alabama (DeKalb County), Fort Payne — Confederate Monument
(front) 1861 1865 To the Confederate Soldiers. Some of whom sacrificed all, and all of whom sacrificed much. (left side) On fame's eternal camping ground their silent tents are spread, and glory guards with solemn . . . — Map (db m100368) WM
Alabama (Escambia County), Atmore — Escambia County Training School
In 1920, a wooden building was constructed as the Atmore Colored School and operated until 1925. In 1926, a new wood and a brick building was erected with assistance from Rosenwald School fund and it was renamed the Escambia County Training School. . . . — Map (db m100835) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Brighton — Lynching In America / The Lynching of William Miller
Side 1 Lynching In America Thousands of black people were the victims of lynching and racial violence in the United States between 1877 and 1950. The lynching of African Americans during this era was a form of racial terrorism . . . — Map (db m101159) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Rogersville — Springfield Community 1810/Springfield Church and School
(side 1) Springfield Community 1810 Springfield Community is believed to have been among the earliest settlements in Lauderdale County. It was laid out as a town and considered as the location for the county seat. As early as 1810, . . . — Map (db m100604) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Mobile's First Mardi Gras Parade
On Shrove Tuesday, February 25, 1868, the Order of Myths gathered at this intersection shortly after 8 p.m. and began its first parade. The procession traveled west on Government, north on Warren east on Dauphin, north on Joachim west on State, . . . — Map (db m100842) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Tank M48A1
Armament 1 - 90mm Gun 2 - .50 Cal. Machine Guns 1 - .30 Cal. Machine Gun Weight   99,000 lbs. Combat Loaded Crew   4 Men Maximum Speed   28 mph Cruising Range   70 Miles Grade Ascending Ability   60 . . . — Map (db m100938) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Comic Cowboys of MobileA Mardi Gras Street Parade Society
This marker commemorates the one hundredth anniversary of the founding in Mobile of the Comic Cowboys, a Mardi Gras society believed to be unique in all the world. For a century, it has annually fulfilled its mission by using the art of caricature, . . . — Map (db m101082) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Theodore — The Story of Bellingrath GardensA Gift to Posterity
(plaque 1) The site of the famed gardens was originally a semi-tropical jungle on the Isle-Aux-Coirs River. In 1917 the property was acquired for a private fishing lodge by Walter and Bessie Morse Bellingrath… The primeval beauty of the . . . — Map (db m100526)
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Removal of the Creeks
Side 1 The Creek Indians and their neighbors, the Yuchi, once lived in these woods in harmony with nature and in accordance with their beliefs and customs. During the 1700s and early 1800s, they were progressively dispossessed of . . . — Map (db m101282) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — The Census of 1832
In 1832, a treaty with the United States allotted parcels of land to every Indian household in the Valley. A government census enumerated, according to tribal towns, every Indian head of household, along with the number of males, females, and slaves . . . — Map (db m101415) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — The Creek Nation / The Chattahoochee Indian Heritage Center
The Creek Nation The Creek Nation was a loose confederacy of independent towns that ranks among the most sophisticated and powerful native political organizations in North American history. Largely speakers of the Muskogee dialect, the . . . — Map (db m101284) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Holy Trinity — Spanish Fort, 1689-1691
East of here, on the Chattahoochee River, was the "fort among the Apalachicolas," most northern of the Spanish settlements in eastern North America. A palisaded "strong house" built by Captain Enrique Primo de Rivera to check activities of English . . . — Map (db m101252) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — "Emperor" Brims, Mary Musgrove and Chief William McIntosh — Creek Heritage Trail
Coweta was the home of many influential Creek leaders, including three individuals who figured prominently in the history of the Creek people; "Emperor” Brims, Mary Musgrove, Chief William McIntosh. The Coweta chieftain Brims, who . . . — Map (db m101336) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Coweta and Northeastern Russell County:Focal Point for Creek-American Diplomacy — Creek Heritage Trail
During the tumultuous decades prior to the Removal of the Creeks from their ancestral homelands in the 1830s, the vicinity of the town of Coweta became an important location for interaction between the Creek Nation and the American government. . . . — Map (db m101339) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Coweta: Center for International Diplomacy — Creek Heritage Trail
Coweta served as a critical place of interaction between Creeks and Europeans throughout the colonial era. Situated at the intersection of regional trading routes and the claims of expanding Spanish, English and French colonial empires, it became . . . — Map (db m101334) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — The Creek Town of Coweta — Creek Heritage Trail
The town of Coweta was actually two separate Native American settlements and dozens of affiliated outlying communities occupied at different times in what is now northeastern Russell County. "Coweta Tallahassee" (old Coweta), regarded by most . . . — Map (db m101328) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — The Colonial Courthouse/The Stocks and Pillory
(side 1) The Colonial Courthouse This building is inspired by the Courthouse at Williamsburg, Virginia, built in 1770. The County Court heard petty crimes and civil cases such as debtors’ disputes with creditors from abusive . . . — Map (db m101501) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — The Liberty Bell
(side 1) The Liberty Bell was commissioned November 1, 1751, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of William Penn’s Charter of Privileges for his Pennsylvania colony. The radical charter granted religious liberty to persecuted faiths, . . . — Map (db m101506) HM

1093 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 893
Paid Advertisement