Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

775 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 575
 
Locomotive 5588-Canadian National-Spirit of Windsor image, Click for more information
By Don Morfe, July 29, 1995
Locomotive 5588-Canadian National-Spirit of Windsor
Ontario (Essex), Windsor — The Great Western Railway
The main line of “The Great Western”, from Niagara Falls through Hamilton and London to Windsor, was opened in 1854. The company extended its line from Hamilton to Toronto in 1855, from Komoka to Sarnia in 1858, and from Glencoe to Fort . . . — Map (db m100728) HM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of San Juan Comalapa), San Juan Comalapa — San Juan Comalapa Memorial to Genocide Victims
Coordinador Nacional de Viudas de Guatemala “Conavigua” “Las osamentas y la historia de la verdad” “En memoria a nuestros niños, niñas, mujeres y hombres quienes fueron victimas del genocidio y la represión en los . . . — Map (db m101213) WM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Bernal Diaz de Castillo
El marcador está hecho de tres paneles Guatemala al insigne “Cronista – Soldado” Don Bernal Diaz del Castillo En el IV centenario de haber concluido su inmortal libro “Historia Verdadera de la Conquista de la . . . — Map (db m100762) HM WM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — 1962 Student Protests in Quetzaltenango
Compañero estudiante: Nunca olvides la sangre generosa de los martires universitarias caidos en las gloriosas jornadas de marzo y abril de 1962 que se inmolaron por darte una patria mejor 5º aniversario – A.C.D.O. Quezaltenango, 21 abril . . . — Map (db m100773) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Cathedral of the Holy Spirit
Iglesia del Espíritu Santo (Catedral)El templo original del Espíritu Santo, hoy Catedral, fue el segundo construido en el país (en 1532) Ordenada por el Obispo Francisco Marroquín. La fachada colonial estilo barroco que queda hoy, no es del . . . — Map (db m100806) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Jesús Castillo
El Concejo de la Ciudad de Quetzaltenango exalta a perpetuidad de esta manera la memoria del Maestro Jesus Castillo insigne recreador de la musica Maya-Quiche. Palacio Municipal; IX de Septiembre de MCMLVIII English translation: The . . . — Map (db m100766) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Juan José Ortega
La Municipalidad de Quezaltenango al ilustre Doctor Juan José Ortega en el Primer centenario de su nacimiento. 7 de noviembre de 1958. English translation: The Municipality of Quetzaltenango to the illustrious Doctor Juan José . . . — Map (db m100805) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Osmundo Arriola
Osmundo Arriola 4 XII 1886 – 8 X 1938 Primer poeta laureado ¡Eres Quezaltenango: Como una cumbre, y estas mas cerca de los jardines donde florecen los nardos de oro de las estrellas…! (de “Querido Rincon”) English . . . — Map (db m100800) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Rosario de Paz Chajchalac de Mendizabal
Fraternidad Quetzalteca Al pueblo de Quezaltenango Honor a la primera Reina Indigena Rosario de Paz Chajchalac de Mendizabal Septiembre 1985 Adicional marcador: Certamen Reina Indigena 1934-1979 Mujeres que han representado a la cultura . . . — Map (db m100801) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — The German School of Guatemala
En este lugar funciono el Colegio Aleman de Quetzaltenango, desde su fundación en 1928 hasta su clausura en 1941. En el año del centenario del Colegio Aleman de Guatemala Rendimos homenaje a sus fundadores, directores, maestros y exalumnos. . . . — Map (db m100790) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipalidad de Santo Domingo Xenacoj), Santo Domingo Xenacoj — Parish of Santo Domingo Xenacoj
Para perpetua memoria de futuras generaciones Este templo se principió a construir el año 1580 por Fray Benito de Villacañas. Se terminó de construir en el año de 1604. Se bendijo solemnemente el 15 de septiembre de 1604 por Monseñor Fray Juan . . . — Map (db m100764) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — J. Adrian Coronado y Polanco
Recuerda: Aqui vivio y murio el insigne maestro: J. Adrian Coronado y P. Creador de generaciones dignas y agradecidas. Sus alumnos le dedican a su memoria esta ofrenda: Lic. Manuel Antonio Porras C. Ing. Amando Vides Tobar Lic. Julio Lorenzo . . . — Map (db m100970) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — The Church of the First Bishop of Guatemala
Esta iglesia y este palacio fueron construidos por el Primer Obispo de Guatemala Licenciado Francisco Marroquin que fundo las Primeras Escuelas que hubo en el pais Vino a Guatemala en 1530 Murio en 1563 Fue un modelo de mansedumbre y amor al . . . — Map (db m101001) HM
Guatemala, San Marcos (Municipality of San Marcos) — Bishop Álvaro Leonel Ramazzini Imeri
Avenida Alvaro Leonel Ramazzini Imeri Obispo Agradecimiento a nuestro hermano, amigo y maestro por sus 23 años de incansables enseñanzas de servicio, humildad y ayuda a los más necesitados en la diócesis de San Marcos. ¡Ay de mi si no . . . — Map (db m100996) HM
Guatemala, San Marcos (Municipality of San Pedro Sacatépequez), San Pedro Sacatépequez — General Miguel Garcia Granados
La Municipalidad Sampedrana, construyo este pedestal a la memoria del General y Licenciado Miguel Garcia Granados, Heroe intelectual de la Revolucion del 71. San Pedro Sac. 24 junio 1988 English translation: The Municipality of San . . . — Map (db m100759) HM WM
Guatemala, Sololá (Municipalidad de Nahualá), Nahualá — Manuel Tzoc, Founder of Nahualá
Homenaje a: Manuel Tzoc, fundador del pueblo de Nahuala, en el año 1,871. Señor Dios Todopoderoso, recibe en tu reino a tu siervo Manuel Tzoc y bendice a tu pueblo para que reine la paz y alegría entre sus moradores, por Jesucristo nuestro . . . — Map (db m100765) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — "La Española" Chapel
Ubicación de la Capilla Española del Siglo XVI en la Villa de San Francisco de Campeche; misma que contaba con: nave, sacristía y torre campanario Diciembre de 2000 Sello del UNESCO Patrimonio Mundial, Ciudad Histórica Fortificada de . . . — Map (db m101075) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — "The Palace" Cultural Center
Centro Cultural "El Palacio” El edificio es una reconstrucción del antiguo Palacio de Gobierno, especialmente en sus espacios conocidos como La Aduana y El Principal. En su interior cuenta con un museo de primer nivel cuya función es . . . — Map (db m101078) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — “Tukulná” Handicrafts House
Casa de las Artesanías “Tukulná” De acuerdo con el primer plano regulador de la ciudad de Campeche, elaborado por Francisco de Bazán en 1658,y con el proyectado por Juan Francisco Esquivel en 1663, en este predio ya existía una . . . — Map (db m101080) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Bastion of Santiago
Baluarte de Santiago Este baluarte fue reconstruido a mediados del siglo XX y difiere del modelo original, pero sus actuales elementos permiten una interpretación del sistema defensivo de la ciudad. El original se edificó en 1704 cerca de la . . . — Map (db m101079) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Francisco de Paulo Toro Theater
Teatro “Francisco de Paula Toro” Este teatro fue construido gracias al entusiasmo de un grupo de vecinos, quienes encomendaron al ingeniero Teodoro Journot la supervisión de la construcción. Se inauguró el 15 de septiembre de 1834 . . . — Map (db m101070) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Independence Square
Plaza de la Independencia En 1540 al ser fundada la villa de San Francisco de Campeche, se habilitó este espacio que fungiría como Plaza de Armas, siguiendo los patrones coloniales de la época. En torno a ella se fueron construyendo los . . . — Map (db m101076) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Park of the 4th Centenary San Martín
Parque del IV Centenario San Martín Este parque se encuentra en el lugar conocido como el “Descampado de Guadalupe”, el cual servía como campo de tiro del Baluarte de San José (demolido). Su construcción tuvo lugar durante el . . . — Map (db m101068) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — San Francisco Park
Parque de San Francisco El espacio que ocupa hoy la Plaza de San Francisco perteneció, desde épocas prehispánicas, al antiguo asentamiento maya de Kin Pech, capital del cacicazgo del mismo nombre. Por muchos años fue espacio vacío hasta . . . — Map (db m101087) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Temple and Former Convent of San Francisco de Asís
Templo y Antiguo Convento de San Francisco de Asís Este conjunto monástico se encuentra en lo que fuera el pueblo prehispánico Ah-Kim-Pech, donde los cronistas afirman que en 1517 se ofreció la primera liturgia católica a la llegada de los . . . — Map (db m101086) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Temple of Guadalupe
Templo de Guadalupe En 1575 don Pedro Martín de Bonilla, rico y piadoso vecino de Campeche, costeó la erección en este lugar de una ermita en honor a la Virgen de Guadalupe de Villuercas, a la que se le atribuyen características similares a las . . . — Map (db m100793) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Temple of the Sweet Name of Jesus
Templo del Dulce Nombre de Jesús Durante el siglo XVI, fue una capilla abierta exclusiva para los "morenos" que habitaban en la villa. Posteriormente en el siglo XVIII, debido al auge económico que adquirió el puerto de Campeche y por . . . — Map (db m101072) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — The Birthplace of Justo Sierra Méndez
En esta casa nacio El Maestro Justo Sierra Mendez el 26 de enero de 1848 Homenaje de la Secretaria de Gobernacion 1948 English translation: In this house was born the Master Justo Sierra Méndez on January 26, 1848 Tribute from the . . . — Map (db m101073) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — The Guadalupe Gate
Puerta de Guadalupe Aquí estuvo la Puerta de Guadalupe, construcción del siglo XVII, proyectada y realizada por el Ingeniero Militar alemán Jaime Franck. La puerta de Guadalupe quedo situada a la mitad de la cortina de muralla, entre los . . . — Map (db m101050) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — The Hospital of San Hipolito
Aqui estuvo el Hospital de San Hipolito, primero para dementes que hubo en América Fundado por Bernardino Alvarez 1577. Catálogo de la Insp. Gral. de Monumentos Artísticos e Históricos English translation: Here was the Hospital of San . . . — Map (db m100995) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — The Burning of the Alhóndiga de Granaditas
En este lugar estaba una tienda, de donde el 28 de septiembre de 1810, el Pípila y la muchedumbre tomaron lo necesario para incendiar la puerta principal de la Alhóndiga de Granaditas. Ayuntamiento de Guanajuato 1989-91 English . . . — Map (db m100744) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — The Cemetery of the Convent of the Temple of Bethlehem
Aquí estuvo el cementerio del convento de Belén, donde fueron sepultados varios españoles, entre ellos el Intendente Don Juan Antonio de Riaño y Bárcenas, muertos el 28-IX-1810, en la toma por los insurgentes de la Alhóndiga de Granaditas y ciudad . . . — Map (db m100732) HM WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — José M. Arteaga
En memoria del patriota Gobernador Gral. Jose M. Arteaga Protector de la instrucción popular Queretaro, Octubre, 21 de 1888. English translation: In memory of the patriot Governor General José María Arteaga Protector of popular . . . — Map (db m100746) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Mexico's Ratification of the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo
En este Edificio, el 19 de mayo de 1848, el Congreso de la Unión ratificó el Tratado de Paz, de Guadalupe Hidalgo, firmado con los Estados Unidos de Norte América el 2 de febrero del mismo año. En diciembre de 1916 se celebraron aquí, las Juntas . . . — Map (db m100747) HM WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Temple and Convent of San Antonio
Templo y Convento de San AntonioEn 1613 se inició la construcción del Convento por los religiosos franciscanos adscritos a la observancia de los dieguinos. Templo y convento quedaron bajo la advocación de San Antonio de Padua y al cuidado de la . . . — Map (db m100752) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — The Waterway of the Sad Indian
Alcantarilla del Indio TristeFue una de las más importantes de la ciudad por la cantidad de agua que recibía; formó parte del sistema de distribución de agua limpia con el que contó la ciudad, su finalidad era contabilizar las tuberías que . . . — Map (db m100749) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Muncipality of San Miguel of Cozumel), San Miguel de Cozumel — The First Mass Celebrated in Mexico
En esta isla de Cozumel, en un lugar situado a pocos metros de este templo, se celebro la primera misa en territorio nacional. La celebro el Padre Juan Diaz, Capellan de la expedicion que encabezaba el Capitan Don Juan de Grijalva, el 6 de mayo de . . . — Map (db m101346) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of San Miguel de Cozumel), San Miguel de Cozumel — Benito Juárez García
Lic. Benito Juárez García Presidente de México 1858-1872 San Pablo de Guelatao Oaxaca, México 21 de marzo de 1806 México, D.F. 18 de junio de 1872 Insigne patriota Impulsor de México moderno con las Leyes de Reforma Restaurador de la . . . — Map (db m101343) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of San Miguel de Cozumel), San Miguel de Cozumel — Cozumel's Tribute to the Defenders of the Nation
Cozumel Rinde homenaje a los Defensores de la Patria en el centenario de la primera Invasión Norteamericana Septiembre 13 de 1947. Reversa: Teniente Juan de la Barrera · Cadete Juan Escutia · Cadete Agustin Melgar · Cadete Francisco . . . — Map (db m101348) WM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of San Miguel de Cozumel), San Miguel de Cozumel — General Rafael E. Melgar
Gral. Rafael E. Melgar Yanhuitlán, Oax. 1887 Mexico D.F. 21 de marzo 1959 Excelente Gobernador del Territorio de Quintana Roo, de 1935 a 1940. Sus obras públicas y su compromiso social trascienden hasta nuestros días. Cozumel, Q. Roo, 2007. . . . — Map (db m101414) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of San Miguel de Cozumel), San Miguel de Cozumel — Tribute to the 201st Squadron of the Mexican Expeditionary Force
Reconocimiento del Pueblo de Cozumel A la heroica participación de la “Fuerza Aérea Expedicionaria Mexicana Escuadrón 201”, también conocida como “Águilas Aztecas”, en misiones de combate durante la II Guerra . . . — Map (db m100885) WM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Solidaridad), Playa del Carmen — Chapel of Our Lady of Carmen
Capilla de Nuestra Sra del Carmen 113 Aniversario - Playa de Carmen, Historia Viva Construida originalmente alrededor del año 1960 por las primeras familias de Playa del Carmen. Para su construccion se emplearon materiales como piedras de . . . — Map (db m101337) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Solidaridad), Punta Laguna — Otoch Ma’ax Yetel Kooh Ramsar Site
Sitio Ramsar – Área de Protección de Flora y Fauna Otoch Ma’ax Yetel Kooh Ramsar Convención sobre los Humedales (Ramsar, Irán 1971)Este sitio está ubicado en el Municipio de Valladolid, Yucatán y se inscribió a la lista Ramsar el 2 de . . . — Map (db m101335) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Tulum), Cobá — The Coba Group
Grupo Cobá Situado entre los lagos Cobá y Macanxoc, es el de mayor tamaño y concentración de edificios en todo Cobá. Cuenta con 43 estructuras, varios patios, cuartos abovedados, una gran plaza, un juego de pelota y diversas estelas. De este . . . — Map (db m101077) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Adjoining Rooms
Cuartos adyacentes Frente a las Siete Muñecas, hacia el poniente, se alinean tres cuartos con doble crujía (4 a 9) y uno sencillo (10) todos ellos sobre plataformas menores. Al sur hay otro cuarto doble (3) y al este uno sencillo (2). . . . — Map (db m101173) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Central Square
Plaza Central La superficie de esta plaza cubre alrededor de 12,240 m2.; tuvo un piso de estuco, hoy desaparecido casi en su totalidad. Esta rodeada por una serie de edificios, cuyas escalinatas se orientan hacie el centro de la plaza. La . . . — Map (db m101108) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Dzibilchaltún Archaeological Site
Este sitio de cultura maya, muy próximo a la costa norte de Yucatán, se sustentaba en una economía marino-litoral, además de agrícola. Su ocupación más temprana debió de ser alrededor del año 300 a.C. y se mantuvo poblado hasta la conquista. La . . . — Map (db m101092) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Edifice 44
Edificio 44 Es una estructura de gran volumen constructivo; mide 130 m. de largo y tiene una escalinata al frente, quizá la más larga de Mesoamérica. Presenta cuatro épocas constructivas: al oeste se encuentra la primera, que finaliza . . . — Map (db m101107) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Sacbe 1
Sacbé 1 Este camino artificial o “sacbé” mide 20 m. de ancho; se inicia al este de la plaza central y 400 m. después, en la misma dirección, entronca con la gran plataforma que sustenta los edificios en torno de la construcción . . . — Map (db m101137) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Structure 36
Estructura 36 Es una pirámide parcialmente liberada compuesto por cuatro plataformas cuadradas y escalonadas, de 9.40 m. de altura, con escalera de acceso por el sur y hacia la plaza central, lugar desde donde los antiguos mayas seguramente . . . — Map (db m101096) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Substructure 38
Subestructura 38 Es uno de los edificios abovedados más antiguos de Dzibilchaltun. Se construyó con mampostería burda y su bóveda fue techada con la técnica de piedras saledizas. Por la cerámica encontrada en el escombro que rellenaba este . . . — Map (db m101135) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — The Habitational Complex
El contexto habitacional Este conjunto de carácter domestico ocupa una superficie de poco más de 4000 m2. Se compone de una plataforma mayor al centro y alrededor de ella se sitúan otras plataformas menores: dos se le adosan, dos más se sitúan . . . — Map (db m101170) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — The Open Chapel
Capilla Abierta La construcción de la capilla se puede fechar entre 1590 y 1600; su ubicación dentro de la Plaza Central sugiere que en este espacio, ya desde tiempos prehispánicos se llevaban a cabo ceremonias importantes, que se prolongaron . . . — Map (db m101101) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — The Seven Dolls
Las Siete Muñecas El edificio debe su nombre a una ofrenda de siete muñecas burdos de barro, que se encontraron en su interior. Esta construcción es de plant cuadrangular, con una cámara cenral rodeada por un corredor. Su techo formaba una . . . — Map (db m100799) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — "El Colonial"
El Colonial Esta histórica esquina lleva el nombre del Teatro Colonial que trajo a los meridianos de entonces años de entretenimiento y diversión. Inaugurado el viernes 2 de noviembre de 1934 con una función de gala, el establecimiento era . . . — Map (db m101088) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — "Los Peones"
Los PeonesEn el edificio ubicado al noroeste de este inmueble, se encuentra la esquina llamada “Los Peones” o “La panificadora” sobre la cual dice Gonzalo Cámara Zavala en su relación de calles de Mérida, que lleva este . . . — Map (db m101301) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — "The Louvre"(Former home of the founders of Mérida)
"El Louvre" (Antigua casa de fundadores de Mérida)Este antiguo edificio ocupa el lugar donde en tiempos de la fundación de Mérida estuvo un "cerro" o montículo que según se cree, era un monumento prehispánico semioculto ya por la maleza y la . . . — Map (db m101195) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — "The Omnibus"
El Omnibus Esta equina ya recibía el nombre de “El Omnibus” en la relación que registra Gonzalo Cámara Zavala en 1948 debido a que en 1889 se estableció el primer servicio urbano de camiones de tracción animal para pasajeros. Se le . . . — Map (db m101208) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary
Capilla de Nuestra Señora del Rosario del Hospital de San Juan de Dios Patrimonio de la NaciónEn esta manzana ubicada al norte de la Catedral estuvo el convento y hospital de la orden de San Juan de Dios, institución que prestó servicios a la . . . — Map (db m101232) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Gabriel Vicente Gahona y Pasos, "Picheta"
En esta casa falleció el 1º de marzo de 1899. El Artista Grabador. Don Gabriel Vicente Gahona y Pasos (Picheta) La Sociedad Yucateca de Grabadores Le rinde este homenaje en el Cincuentenario de su muerte Marzo 1º de 1949 English . . . — Map (db m101091) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — House of Writer José Peón Contreras
Casa del escritor José Peón ContrerasLa casa forma parte de una serie de residencias próximas que fueron todas habitadas por diferentes integrantes de la familia Peón. Entre todas ellas, según escribe el investigador Francisco de Montejo . . . — Map (db m101300) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Pedz Balam House
Casa Pedz Balam Calle 60 x 61 No. 500En lo profundo de los muros de Mérida se pueden descubrir las piedras labradas que en este mismo Centro Histórico levantaron – desde el siglo III a.C. hasta el siglo XVI de nuestra era – las . . . — Map (db m101209) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Temple of San Juan de Dios
Templo de San Juan de DiosAtribuido en un principio a Nuestra Señora del Rosario, el Templo de San Juan de Dios terminó de construirse el 18 de mayo de 1562. Provisionalmente sirvió de Catedral durante la construcción de ésta, de modo que puede . . . — Map (db m101215) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The House of Montejo
Casa de Montejo Patrimonio de la NaciónConstruida por Montejo el Mozo por indicaciones de su padre D. Francisco de Montejo en 1540, en la fachada sólo se conserva la Portada de lo que fue la edificación original, la cual ocupó toda la manzana. . . . — Map (db m101299) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Little Rooster
El Gallito Calle 63 No. 502 x 60 Patrimonio de la NaciónEsta edificación se inició en el siglo XVIII, sustituyendo a una construcción más austera. Durante la intervención francesa, fue residencia temporal de la Emperatriz Carlota Amalia en su . . . — Map (db m101240) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Main Square of Merida
La Plaza Principal de MéridaMérida fue fundada en 1542 por los españoles sobre la antigua ciudad maya de T'Hó. Las edificaciones megaliticas de esta ciudad prehispánica, cuyos orígenes se remontan al periodo preclásico tardío (300 a.c. 300 . . . — Map (db m101302) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Municipal Palace
Palacio Municipal Patrimonio de la NaciónEdificado en donde estuvo la plataforma de un edificio prehispánico conocido como Backluumchaan desde la fundación de la ciudad española, el Palacio Municipal tal y como se aprecia, tiene su origen en . . . — Map (db m101304) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Peninsular Athenaeum
Ateneo Peninsular Patrimonio de la NaciónEl Ateneo Peninsular se encuentra en el edificio del siglo XVII que fue sede del Palacio Episcopal, y que ocupó el costado izquierdo de la Catedral de San lldefonso. Ente los siglos XIX y XX fue . . . — Map (db m101235) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Sheriff's House
Casa del Aguacil Calle 62 No. 500 por 61 Patrimonio de la Nación Habitada en 1783 por D. José Cano Alguacil Mayor de Mérida English translation: The Sheriff’s House No. 500 on 62nd Street at the corner of 61st Street Heritage of the . . . — Map (db m101176) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Valladolid — House of Governor Francisco Canton Rosado
Casa del Gobernador Francisco Cantón RosadoEste edificio de la calle 37 x 44 es en donde nació el ex Gobernador Vallisoletano Francisco Cantón Rosado. Es una casa característica de la clase media en el Periodo Colonial pues es de una sola . . . — Map (db m101310) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — Church of San Servacio
Iglesia de San ServacioLa iglesia de San Servacio está en el centro de la ciudad al costado sur de la plaza principal, sustituye a la que se erigió el 24 de marzo de 1545 por el padre Francisco Hernández cuya fachada miraba hacia el poniente . . . — Map (db m101308) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — Francisco Cantón Rosado Park
Parque Francisco Canton Rosado La población de Valladolid solía tener en el centro un área cuadrada de 100 m2, en el que se conservaba una pirámide maya que fue demolida por los conquistadores quienes usaron las piedras para la edificación de . . . — Map (db m101306) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — Regional Artisans' Center “Zací”
Centro Regional de Artesanías “Zací”Es probable que originalmente haya sido parte del inmueble que hoy conocemos como la Casa Cural, subdivida y remodelada a fines del siglo XIX con su segundo piso y fachada con estilo francés muy . . . — Map (db m101318) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — The Catholic Parsonage of Valladolid
Casa CuralHermosa casa colonial, por su ubicación en esquina y por estar frente a la plaza principal, así como por sus características arquitectónicas. Seguramente fue casa de un conquistador y posteriormente de sus descendientes hasta el Siglo . . . — Map (db m101316) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — The Valladolid Artisans' Market
Mercado de ArtesaníasNo se tiene fecha exacta de la construcción de este edificio, pero se cree que debió ser del periodo de gobierno del Vallisoletano Francisco Cantón Rosado (finales del Siglo XIX y principios del Siglo XX). En los años 20’s . . . — Map (db m101313) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Benedictus de Spinoza (1632-1677), Amsterdammer, Filosoof/Philosopher
Spinoza is op deze plaats als zoon van joodse vluchtelingen geboren. Zijn belangrijkste werk is de Ethica. Daarin verwerpt hij alle traditionele voorstellingen van God en stelt hij dat de ogenschijnlijk chaotische natuur is onderworpen aan . . . — Map (db m100803) HM
Scotland, West Lothian, Linlithgow — Linlithgow PalaceWest Range
English The west range, the plainest of the four fronts of the palace, was completed about 1504 in the reign of James IV. The row of large rectangular windows at the first floor level represent a suite of royal rooms: from left to right, . . . — Map (db m86250) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Bay Minette — A County Older Than the State, Baldwin County
Side 1 Third oldest county in Alabama. Created in 1809 while still part of Mississippi Territory. Named for Abraham Baldwin (1754-1807) founder of University of Georgia, delegate to Constitutional Convention, . . . — Map (db m100839) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Bay Minette — Baldwin County Eternal Flame Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the Glory of God and in Honor of the Veterans of all Wars — Map (db m100865) WM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Bay Minette — Bay Minette Korean War Memorial
Battery B 711th AAA Gun Battalion Alabama National Guard Bay Minette, Alabama [List of names in 3 columns] 4 September 1950 Korean War — Map (db m100941) WM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Bay Minette — Bay Minette, Alabama
Side 1 In 1860, the center of commerce in Baldwin County ran along the rivers with the remainder of the county mostly wilderness. In 1861, with secession declared, the Alabama Legislature allocated funds to finish the stalled Mobile . . . — Map (db m100846) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Bay Minette — Bottle Creek Site
Bottle Creek Site has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses National Significance in Commemorating the History of the United States of America . . . — Map (db m100849) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Bay Minette — Judge Harry Toulmin(1766 – 1823)
Born and educated in England, Toulmin became a Unitarian Minister and fled persecution in 1793. In the U.S. he served as President of Transylvania University and Secretary of the State of Kentucky. In 1804 Thomas Jefferson appointed him as the first . . . — Map (db m100850) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Daphne — 1814 ~ ~ ~ 1977General Andrew Jackson
  Standing on a low limb of a giant oak tree near here, General Andrew Jackson made a pep talk to his troops, fresh from their victory at the Battle of Horse Shoe Bend and poised before advancing on the British and Spanish at Pensacola, and the . . . — Map (db m100852) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Daphne — City of DaphneIncorporated July 8, 1927
The City of Daphne was incorporated July 8, 1927 with a population of 500. its history, however, dates to a much earlier period. Research and artifacts show that Tensaw, Alabama, Choctaw, Creeks, and Seminole Indians all lived in the this area prior . . . — Map (db m100843) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Daphne — Little Bethel Baptist Church:
On April 15, 1867, Major Lewis Starke deeded these two acres to four of his ex-slaves and their heirs as trustees for this church: Nimrod Lovett, Stamford Starlin (now Sterling), Narcis Elwa, and Benjamin Franklin. In this cemetery is buried . . . — Map (db m100851) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Daphne — Patriot's Point Memorial
Patriot's Point Memorial This Memorial is Dedicated to All the Brave Men and Women Who Proudly Served in the United States Armed Forces Protecting Freedom Around the World — Map (db m100864) WM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — 173d Airborne Brigade (Sep)1963 — 1971
In commemoration of all Sky Soldiers whose valor and sacrifice in defense of South Vietnam must never be forgotten "All Gave Some – Some Gave All" — Map (db m100946) WM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — 1st Division, U.S. Colored Troops
This earthen mound was part of a redoubt constructed by the 1st Division, U.S. Colored Troops in April, 1865. The regiment saw considerable action against Confederate warships protecting the Blakely River. These earthworks have been preserved as a . . . — Map (db m100853) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Albert Carey Danner — 1843~1921
  Born in Winchester, Virginia, he moved to Missouri where at age 17 he enlisted in the State Guard. In 1861 he became a Private in the Confederate States Army, was captured during the Battle of Wilson's Creek and escaped.   Captain Danner . . . — Map (db m100880) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Bay of the Holy Spirit
The earliest outline of a recognizable bay on the northern coast of the Gulf of Mexico was shown on a 1507 map by German cartographer Martin Waldeseemuller–the same map to first apply the name "America" to the New World. Alonso Álvarez de . . . — Map (db m100841) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Caisson Trace
A trail used in early times by Indians, Spanish Explorers, French Settlers and later by soldiers during the battle of Spanish Fort 1865. At one time a stream driven train paralleled this trace. Its ancient road bed can still be seen south of this . . . — Map (db m100877) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Confederate Drive
Named in honor of the 1,810 Men in Gray who defended the eastern approaches to Mobile in the battle of Spanish Fort March 26 ~ April 8-9, 1865. Here Brig. Gen. R. L. Gibson, C.S.A. engaged “…more than 20,000” enemy troops in the last . . . — Map (db m100878) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Confederate Main Line of Resistance(The Battle of Spanish Fort, March 26-April 9, 1865)
Twenty-nine Union field guns, manned by men of the 3d Indiana, 1st Illinois and 2d Iowa Batteries, shelled these Confederate trenches for 13 consecutive days and nights. The fact that these trenches were never breached, attests to the courage of . . . — Map (db m100873) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Confederate Redoubt No. 3 / Gibson’s Brigade
Side 1 Capt. Cuthbert Slocomb of the 5th Company, Washington Artillery of New Orleans, commanded Redoubt No. 3, also known as Battery Blair, consisted of one 8-inch Columbiad, two 12-pound Napoleons, one 3-inch ordinance rifle, and . . . — Map (db m100871) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Confederate Redoubt No. 4 / Holtzclaw's Brigade
Side 1 Redoubt No. 4 was part of the Confederate line known as Red Fort. Capt. John Phillip’s Tennessee Light Artillery manned the redoubt until they were relieved on April 4, 1865 by Garrity's Alabama Light Artillery. Lt. Henry . . . — Map (db m100866) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Confederate Redoubt No. 5 / Ector's Brigade
Side 1 Also called the Sandbag Battery, Redoubt No. 5 was originally commanded by Lt. Andrew Hargrove of Lumsden's Tuscaloosa Battery, Company F, 2nd Alabama Light Artillery Battalion. During the early stages of the battle, Lumsden's . . . — Map (db m100875) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Fort McDermott
From this Confederate Fort 15 heavy artillery guns, repelled elements of 2 Union Army Corps, routed 5 ironclad monitors attacking up the Blakely River and for 13 days helped prevent the capture of Mobile until after General Lee's Surrender at . . . — Map (db m100911) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Fort McDermott
Highest point along 2 miles of Confederate battle lines extending east and north. Here 200 soldiers from Georgia, Louisiana & Arkansas, held off a numerically superior Union Force for thirteen days and nights in the last battle of the War Between . . . — Map (db m100913) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Ft. McDermott Confederate Memorial Park
Dedicated to the men of the Confederate States of America who valiantly fought for our American liberties, "Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed... whenever any form of government becomes . . . — Map (db m100936) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Red Fort
Built of red clay, armed with 12 heavy guns and served by 307 crack Confederate Artilleryman from Batteries Perry (Tenn.) Phillips (Tenn.) Lumsden (Ala.) and Garrity (Mobile, Ala.). It was the keystone in the defense of Spanish Fort, 1865. — Map (db m100868) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Spanish Fort
Rendezvous for Indians, Spanish, French and English Explorers. In 1865, Three Confederate Brigades, outnumbered 10 to 1, engaged the Army of West Mississippi (Union Forces) in the last battle of the War Between the States. March 26~April 9, 1865. — Map (db m100844) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Spanish FortAlabama
Historic Spot of the Deep South Map (db m100845) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — The 8th Iowa InfantryBattle of Spanish Fort
On the evening of April 8th, 1865, while the Confederate fortifications were being shelled by Union artillery, the 8th Iowa Infantry advanced from near this point to the Confederate left and captured a part of the works, in hand to hand fighting. . . . — Map (db m100883) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — The Final Assault
At dusk on April 8, 1865, 300 yards west of this site, the Union Army's 8th lowa Infantry and three Illinois Regiments breached the Confederate main line of resistance. Under the cover of night, troops holding the thin gray line spiked their guns . . . — Map (db m100855) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — The Union First Parallel / Union Siege Battery No. 16
Side 1 The main Union siege line during the Battle of Spanish Fort ran along this ridge. Brig. Gen. Eugene Carr's Division occupied the right flank of the Union line between here and Minette Bay. Carr's men initially faced Confederate . . . — Map (db m100857) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Union Siege Battery No. 21 / 3rd Brigade of Carr's Division
Side 1 Located on this bluff overlooking Minette Bay, Battery No. 21 anchored the right flank of Maj. Gen. Edward Canby's Army of West Mississippi during the Battle of Spanish Fort. Maj. Gen. Andrew Smith's XVI Army Corps occupied the . . . — Map (db m100854) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Women's Veterans MemorialAlabama State Veterans Memorial Cemetery
Dedicated to all women veterans who have served, sacrificed and suffered for our nation. Your patriotism and courage are greatly appreciated and will never be forgotten. [Seals of the U.S. Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps & . . . — Map (db m100943) WM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — Chief Eufaula (Yoholo Micco)In Life and Legend — Creek Heritage Trail
"Chief Eufaula," the man often referred to in the historical record as "Yoholo Micco," was a Creek chieftain from the Upper Creek town of Eufaula. Born in the late 1700s, he fought alongside allied Creeks with United States forces against his Red . . . — Map (db m101427) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — In Honor of All World War II Veterans
[Title is text] Roll of honor Front & Rear Map (db m101418) WM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The City of Eufaula — Creek Heritage Trail
The Second Creek war resulted in the final expulsion of the Creeks from eastern Alabama and paved the way for large-scale American settlement. The town of Irwinton gradually expanded westward from the bluff overlooking the Chattahoochee in the years . . . — Map (db m101361) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The Creek Town of Eufaula — Creek Heritage Trail
The area surrounding Eufaula was once part of a regional Creek population center. Towns of note in the region included Sawokli (also known as Sabacola) and the town of Eufaula for which the modern city is named. Trails linked these closely-connected . . . — Map (db m101355) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The Second Creek War in the Eufaula Area — Creek Heritage Trail
In 1836 long-simmering tensions between Creeks and American settlers erupted into warfare. The Creeks, crowded onto the last portion of their ancestral homeland and witnessing the rampant theft of their lands, had also become subject to harsh laws . . . — Map (db m101360) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The Town of Irwinton — Creek Heritage Trail
A small group of American settlers from Georgia formed a community called Eufaula in this vicinity as early as 1823. The settlement began to grow in importance later in the decade through the influence of prominent local landholder and Creek War . . . — Map (db m101357) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The Tree That Owns Itself
The Tree That Owns Itself Planned and Dedicated April 19, 1961 Replacing the Walker Oak Felled by Wind April 9, 1961 Original Deed Granted by City of Eufaula to the Post Oak Tree April 8, 1936 . . . — Map (db m101286) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — World War I Doughboy
To Those Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice 1917 — World War — 1918 John Asbury Boswell Robert W. Brannon-Hinton W. Holleman Porter R. Doughtie-Daniel T. Tully Lest We Forget. — Map (db m101350) WM
Alabama (Conecuh County), Repton — Historic and Beautiful Repton
Side 1 In the early 1900s, Repton was a bustling railroad town along the Louisville and Nashville Railroad. Among other businesses, it boasted several hotels, banks, stores, a livery stable, cotton gin and the only hospital with a Board . . . — Map (db m100840) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Bent But Not Broken
A tribute to the citizens of Cullman County for bending, but not breaking, following the EF4 tornado on April 27, 2011. Dedicated: April 27, 2013 Designed by: Cullman City Street Dept. — Map (db m101094) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Combat Wounded VeteransMilitary Order of the Purple Heart — 1782-1932
Dedicated To The Recipients Of The Nation's Oldest Military Decoration "The Purple Heart" Combat Wounded Veterans Military Order of the Purple Heart 1782 - 1932 My stone is red for the . . . — Map (db m101168) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Cullman County Confederate Memorial
This monument is dedicated to the brave men of the Confederacy, who gave their lives and livelihood for the noble cause. Mere words on a stone are little tribute to the measure they gave. But we do this so that future . . . — Map (db m101105) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Cullman County Korean War Memorial
Dedicated in memory of those from Cullman County who gave their lives in the service of their country Korean War Aubrey G. Adams • John Mayfield A. P. Alvis • Leo A. Ponder Leo D. Andrews • Norman Rivers William A. Bates . . . — Map (db m101104) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Cullman County Vietnam Memorial
Dedicated in memory of those from Cullman County who gave their lives in the service of their country Vietnam War [Honor Roll] Map (db m101164) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Cullman County World War I Memorial
Dedicated in memory of those from Cullman County who gave their lives in the service of their country World War I Abercrombie Sam • McCain Rudolphus Baker George N. • McConnell William Bates General D. • Morgan William W. . . . — Map (db m101165) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Cullman County WWII Memorial
Dedicated in memory of those from Cullman County who gave their lives in the service of their country World War II Map (db m101163) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — King Pharr Canning Company Operated Here1946~1976
In 1946, the McPhillips family brought King Pharr Canning Company, a major vegetable canning operation to Cullman. Led by chairman Julian B. McPhillips of Mobile, and his two sons Julian L. McPhillips and W. Warren McPhillips (returning from Navy . . . — Map (db m101093) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Marion Albert HillNov. 13, 1895 — Feb. 3. 1979
The Cullman County native was the first man drafted in America for World War I. His Selective Service number 258, was the first one drawn in the U.S. Senate Building in Washington D.C. on July 20, 1917. 10,500 men were drafted that . . . — Map (db m101097) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Operation Iraqi Freedom - Afghanistan Memorial
. . . — Map (db m101103) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — PFC Patrick BatesCullman County, Alabama
K Company 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marine Division Last American soldier killed in combat, WWII. Shot in back of ear, right side, by a Japanese sniper in Guam. Buried, Punchbowl National Cemetery, Honolulu, Hawaii — Map (db m101098) HM WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — UDC Confederate Memorial
. . . — Map (db m101106) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Vinemont — Streight’s RaidThe Battle of Hog Mountain
"This was a glorious fight, one that did the soldiers' hearts good to look upon, made there in the mountains in the darkness of the night, almost hand-to-hand, with only the light from the vivid flash of the artillery and . . . — Map (db m101089) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Vinemont — Streight’s RaidA Failed Campaign
"The thanks of Congress are again due to General N. B. Forrest and the officers and men of his command, for meritorious service in the field, and especially for the daring, skill, and perseverance exhibited in the pursuit . . . — Map (db m101090) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Atmore — Escambia County Training School
In 1920, a wooden building was constructed as the Atmore Colored School and operated until 1925. In 1926, a new wood and a brick building was erected with assistance from Rosenwald School fund and it was renamed the Escambia County Training School. . . . — Map (db m100835) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Brighton — Lynching In America / The Lynching of William Miller
Side 1 Lynching In America Thousands of black people were the victims of lynching and racial violence in the United States between 1877 and 1950. The lynching of African Americans during this era was a form of racial terrorism . . . — Map (db m101159) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Mobile's First Mardi Gras Parade
On Shrove Tuesday, February 25, 1868, the Order of Myths gathered at this intersection shortly after 8 p.m. and began its first parade. The procession traveled west on Government, north on Warren east on Dauphin, north on Joachim west on State, . . . — Map (db m100842) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Tank M48A1
Armament 1 - 90mm Gun 2 - .50 Cal. Machine Guns 1 - .30 Cal. Machine Gun Weight   99,000 lbs. Combat Loaded Crew   4 Men Maximum Speed   28 mph Cruising Range   70 Miles Grade Ascending Ability   60 . . . — Map (db m100938) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Comic Cowboys of MobileA Mardi Gras Street Parade Society
This marker commemorates the one hundredth anniversary of the founding in Mobile of the Comic Cowboys, a Mardi Gras society believed to be unique in all the world. For a century, it has annually fulfilled its mission by using the art of caricature, . . . — Map (db m101082) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Removal of the Creeks
Side 1 The Creek Indians and their neighbors, the Yuchi, once lived in these woods in harmony with nature and in accordance with their beliefs and customs. During the 1700s and early 1800s, they were progressively dispossessed of . . . — Map (db m101282) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — The Census of 1832
In 1832, a treaty with the United States allotted parcels of land to every Indian household in the Valley. A government census enumerated, according to tribal towns, every Indian head of household, along with the number of males, females, and slaves . . . — Map (db m101415) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — The Creek Nation / The Chattahoochee Indian Heritage Center
The Creek Nation The Creek Nation was a loose confederacy of independent towns that ranks among the most sophisticated and powerful native political organizations in North American history. Largely speakers of the Muskogee dialect, the . . . — Map (db m101284) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Holy Trinity — Spanish Fort, 1689-1691
East of here, on the Chattahoochee River, was the "fort among the Apalachicolas," most northern of the Spanish settlements in eastern North America. A palisaded "strong house" built by Captain Enrique Primo de Rivera to check activities of English . . . — Map (db m101252) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — "Emperor" Brims, Mary Musgrove and Chief William McIntosh — Creek Heritage Trail
Coweta was the home of many influential Creek leaders, including three individuals who figured prominently in the history of the Creek people; "Emperor” Brims, Mary Musgrove, Chief William McIntosh. The Coweta chieftain Brims, who . . . — Map (db m101336) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Coweta and Northeastern Russell County:Focal Point for Creek-American Diplomacy — Creek Heritage Trail
During the tumultuous decades prior to the Removal of the Creeks from their ancestral homelands in the 1830s, the vicinity of the town of Coweta became an important location for interaction between the Creek Nation and the American government. . . . — Map (db m101339) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Coweta: Center for International Diplomacy — Creek Heritage Trail
Coweta served as a critical place of interaction between Creeks and Europeans throughout the colonial era. Situated at the intersection of regional trading routes and the claims of expanding Spanish, English and French colonial empires, it became . . . — Map (db m101334) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — The Creek Town of Coweta — Creek Heritage Trail
The town of Coweta was actually two separate Native American settlements and dozens of affiliated outlying communities occupied at different times in what is now northeastern Russell County. "Coweta Tallahassee" (old Coweta), regarded by most . . . — Map (db m101328) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — The Colonial Courthouse/The Stocks and Pillory
(side 1) The Colonial Courthouse This building is inspired by the Courthouse at Williamsburg, Virginia, built in 1770. The County Court heard petty crimes and civil cases such as debtors’ disputes with creditors from abusive . . . — Map (db m101501) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — The Liberty Bell
(side 1) The Liberty Bell was commissioned November 1, 1751, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of William Penn’s Charter of Privileges for his Pennsylvania colony. The radical charter granted religious liberty to persecuted faiths, . . . — Map (db m101506) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — The Liberty Bell GardenHonors Liberty, Its Defenders, and Our Constitution
American colonists cherished Liberty as their birthright. On July 4, 1776, the Continental Congress adopted the Declaration of Independence, declaring, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed . . . — Map (db m101503) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — The Lucille Ryals Thompson Colonial Chapel/One Nation Under God
(side 1) The Lucille Ryals Thompson Colonial Chapel Inspired by Bruton Parish Church of Williamsburg, Virginia, it was named to honor Lucille Ryals Thompson. The Chapel was built in thanksgiving for God’s blessings on America, and . . . — Map (db m101505) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — The President's Oval Office/The Glorious Burden
(side 1) The President's Oval Office In this building is a full-scale replica of the White House Oval Office. When John and Abigail Adams first moved into The White House in 1800, it contained three oval rooms, inspired by . . . — Map (db m101531) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — Washington Hall/Birth of A Nation
(side 1) Washington Hall The exterior of the hall is inspired by George Washington's beloved Mount Vernon. It has beveled-edge block walls. When mixed with paint and sand it gives the appearance of stone masonry, a process called . . . — Map (db m101504) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Apache Pass
The Road Below We started through Apache Pass, over awful roads, up hill and down. We had to tie the wagon wheels with ropes and then in some places, the men had to stand on the wheels to keep them from turning over. Every man who could . . . — Map (db m101004) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Apache Pass - A Corridor Through TimeFort Bowie National Historic Site
There are two markers on a single kiosk Apache Pass is a low divide separating the massive Chiricahua Mountains from the Dos Cabezas Mountains. This landscape formed a rugged corridor through which people and goods were moved. The Pass . . . — Map (db m100810) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Apache Spring
Pottery fragments found around Apache Spring suggest it was used by prehistoric Mogollon Indians before the Apache arrived. Journals of early Spanish explorers described Apache trails radiating from the spring. The Butterfield Trail was constructed . . . — Map (db m100823) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Bascom-Cochise Meeting Site
After the events on the afternoon of February 4th, Bascom ordered the command to move toward, and fortify, the stage station. According to Sergeant Daniel Robinson: “Our wagons were placed end to end, forming a semicircle, covering . . . — Map (db m100815) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Cavalry Barracks
This massive adobe structure was among the earliest built at the new fort. By the mid-1880s, it had a shingled and pitched roof, attractive porches, kerosene lamps, and landscaping. The kitchen was behind the barracks; the mess hall adjacent. . . . — Map (db m100998) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Cavalry Mess Hall and Kitchen
Palatable food during the fort's early days was a constant problem; the soil was poor quality, lacking nutrients, and other sources of fresh food were distant. Though neighboring ranches supplied some vegetables and meats, they were still a day's . . . — Map (db m100956) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Commanding Officer's Quarters
The fort's most elaborate structure, a two story, Victorian-style mansion, was built in 1884-1885 for about $4,000.00. An expensive home at that time! Among its thirteen rooms (originally designed as a duplex) were a drawing room, a sewing room with . . . — Map (db m101000) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Infantry Barracks
Enlisted infantrymen found that privacy was not a feature of barracks life. Privates and corporals bunked together in the main room; sergeants occupied small adjoining rooms. Each soldier stored his military gear and personal belongings on a . . . — Map (db m101002) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Mining Cabin
Mining activity in Apache Pass started when members of the California Volunteers discovered a, “...gold and quartz bearing ledge...” in 1864. The “Harris Lode” as it became to be known, was later developed by the Apache Pass . . . — Map (db m100811) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Parke Camp Site
In March 1854, Lt. John Parke of the Topographical Engineer Corps led a survey party in search of an all-weather route for the transcontinental railroad. After a march of 55 waterless miles through Sulphur Springs Valley, the party entered Apache . . . — Map (db m100812) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Post Trader(Sutler's Store)
The equivalent of the modern army post exchange, the post trader offered for sale items not supplied by the army – toilet articles, sewing supplies, tobacco, medicinal cure-alls, fresh vegetables, canned fruits, and a wide variety of . . . — Map (db m101003) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Quartermaster Storehouse
This frame building with a shingled roof was constructed in 1883 to enlarge the storage space available to the quartermaster. The original adobe storehouse, built in 1868, is immediately to the south. The post quartermaster and his staff . . . — Map (db m100954) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Second Fort Bowie
Two years after the 1872 peace agreement with Cochise, the great Apache chief died. Several hundred Chiricahuas were relocated on the San Carlos Indian Reservation. However, Geronimo and over a hundred of his followers escaped the roundup, to begin . . . — Map (db m100953) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — The Battle of Apache Pass; July 15-16, 1862
An advance guard of 96 California Volunteers, marching toward the San Simon River to establish a supply depot for the California Column, followed the Butterfield Road through Apache Pass. As they approached the abandoned stage station, Cochise and . . . — Map (db m100820) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — The Butterfield Overland Mail
In 1857, the government awarded John Butterfield a contract to carry mail by stagecoach between St. Louis and San Francisco. The 2,800-mile route was to be traversed within 25 days. A year later, as the stagecoaches prepared to roll, Butterfiled . . . — Map (db m100817) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — The Chiricahua Apache Indian Agency
The Story: U.S. Indian Agent Thomas Jeffords governed some 900 Chiricahua Apaches here in 1875-76, under the vigilance of the U.S. Army at Fort Bowie. Cochise, Chiricahua chieftain and friend of Jeffords, died in 1874, leaving the band . . . — Map (db m100819) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — The Stage Station Ruin
The Apache Pass Stage Station was built of stone in July 1858. Within its 6-8 foot-high walls were a kitchen-dining room, sleeping rooms, a storage room for feed and weapons, and a mule corral with portholes in every stall. The stage stopped here . . . — Map (db m100814) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — First National Bank, 1918Chandler Historic Commercial District on the National Register of Historic Places
John Dobson and John Anderson built the First National Bank in the Neo Classical Style. In 1925 the Bank of Chandler moved into this building, complete with its marble faced columns. In the late 1930’s, the prominent Valley National Bank took over . . . — Map (db m100867) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Chandler — The McCormick Building
Designated Historical as part of Downtown Chandler Built in 1928 as the original IOOF Hall and Armory Remodeled in the 60’s into a medical and apartment complex Restored back to it’s original design in 2001 by the . . . — Map (db m100876) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Airmen Memorial Bridge
On November 30, 1944, at 7:40 A.M. 18 airmen from Davis-Monthan Army Air Field died following a mid-air collision between two B-24 Liberator Bombers over the Pantano Wash. This bridge is dedicated to those brave men who lost their lives while on a . . . — Map (db m100761) HM WM
California (Amador County), Ione — Buena Vista
In the mineral rich Ione Valley, between Ione and the southern Mokelumne River, where once mining communities like, Lancha Plana, Camp Opra and Camanche dotted the maps, is the town of Buena Vista. Situated at the intersections of two thoroughfares . . . — Map (db m101437) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Kennedy Mine Headframe
Gold changed an entire way of life in California during the Gold Rush. In 1860 Andrew Kennedy and three partners filed 4 mining claims of about 600 feet long. Two shafts were started near what is now Highway 49. The shafts were started, which . . . — Map (db m101351) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — The Thomas Starr King Bell
The Thomas Starr King Bell was donated to the town of Volcano by Unitarian preacher Thomas Starr King in 1862, who was greatful to the town for its support for the Union and the election of Abraham Lincoln. The bell was originally located at the . . . — Map (db m101341) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Oroville Dam
In deep appreciation of those who had the foresight to plan, design, and construct the Oroville Dam Project and to those who have been operating and maintaining it for the State Water Project and the people of California. Since its inception, . . . — Map (db m101447) HM
California (Inyo County), Furnace Creek — Devils Golf Course
Interbedded salt and water-bearing gravels are more than 1,000 feet thick beneath the Devils Golf Course. Great horizontal forces exerted by crystallizing salt, push these columns upward wind and rain carve them into fantastic shapes. — Map (db m100757) HM
California (Los Angeles), Los Angeles — Daniel O. McCarthyA Gallant Pioneer of  ’49
This fountain is a Memorial to the Gallant Pioneers of  ’49 of whom Daniel O. McCarthy, patriot, miner, leader, was an outstanding example. He was born [in] Raleigh, N.C., August 24, 1830. Died Los Angeles, August 13, 1919. Through his . . . — Map (db m101457) HM
California (Los Angeles), Los Angeles — Juan Bautista De Anza
. . . — Map (db m101462) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — Douglas Park
Early Years 1892 - 1938 Mr. Douglas was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1892, the son of a bank cashier. His early interest in aviation was sparked by observing an Orville Wright flight in 1908. he attended the U.S. Naval Academy and then became the . . . — Map (db m101485) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — "Snowshoe" ThompsonA Pioneer Hero of the Sierras
Who for twenty winters carried the mail over the mountains to isolated camps, rescuing the lost and giving succor to those in need along the way. Born 1827 Died 1876 — Map (db m101465) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — Fray Fermin Francisco DeLasuen, O.F.M.(1736-1803)
Born in Victoria, Spain - 1736. Joined the Franciscan Order in 1751. Sent to the College of San Fernando in Mexico City in 1759. Labored in Mexico and Baja, California until 1775. Spent 10 years at Mission San Diego. Selected 2nd Presidente . . . — Map (db m101198) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — Mission San Fernando Rey de España
1. Historical Museum The museum exhibits a pictorial history of the mission, pottery, santos, trade and commerce items, together with an extensive collection of early mission baskets given by Marie and Mark Harrington. 2. . . . — Map (db m101200)
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — 1006 — Beale's Cut Stagecoach Pass
[This site was designated as California Registered Historic Landmark No. 1006 on May 11, 1992. There are three rock and concrete bases which at one time displayed three different plaques. The plaques are now missing.] California . . . — Map (db m101202) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Signal Hill — Hilltop Park
[Walkway Poem] Here on this hill what perspective to see our world ourselves with clarity Each point of view repositioning living vibrant inspiring We come to this place when life gets too fast to reflect on . . . — Map (db m101509) HM
California (Mariposa County), Yosemite National Park — Glacier Point Hotel
You are standing on the site of two famous Yosemite landmarks: McCauley’s Mountain House (1872-1969) and the Glacier Point Hotel (1917-1969). Both structures were built from trees cut down near this site. They both burned to the ground on the . . . — Map (db m100858) HM
California (Monterey County), Aromas — A. R. Wilson Quarry
Named for Arthur R. Wilson, who founded Granite Rock Company on February 14, 1900, this quarry has been the heart of Granite Rock's business since the beginning. In more than a century of continuous operation, the quarry has seen destruction from . . . — Map (db m100802) HM
California (Nevada County), Smartsville — Smartsville Grocery
Originally a two story, L-shaped building. Mrs. Bridget Henderson ran it as a boarding house later selling to Mrs. Ellen Dewan, becoming the Dewan Hotel. Her son, Jim Dewan briefly ran Jim's Saloon along the side of the hotel. In 1935 Rex and Agnes . . . — Map (db m100862) HM
California (Nevada County), Smartsville — Smartville / SmartsvilleWhich is it? S or no S
Named for James Smart, who built the first hotel in 1856. Smartville was referred in the US Federal land grant of 1878, as Smartsville. Due to ruling by the US Post Office Department, in 1909. The name was changed back the Smartville. It stayed that . . . — Map (db m100861) HM
California (Nevada County), Smartsville — Sucker Flat
This now quiet valley was once the site of the Gold-Rush Era town of Sucker Flat - and of the Blue Point and Blue Gravel Mines. These were two of the richest hydraulic mines in California. Which along with a number of other claims work the . . . — Map (db m100992) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — “Big Red Cars”of the Pacific Electric Railway
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101471) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — “Big Red Cars”of the Pacific Electric Railway
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101472) HM
California (Orange County), Buena Park — “Big Red Cars”of the Pacific Electric Railway
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101470) HM
California (Orange County), Cypress — “Big Red Cars”of the Pacific Electric Railway
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101467) HM
California (Orange County), Cypress — “Big Red Cars”of the Pacific Electric Railway
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101468) HM
California (Orange County), Cypress — “Big Red Cars”of the Pacific Electric Railway
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101469) HM
California (Orange County), Garden Grove — “Big Red Cars”of the Pacific Electric Railway
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101475) HM
California (Orange County), Stanton — “Big Red Cars”of the Pacific Electric Railway
For more than half a century, the Pacific Electric Railway served Southern California. The system was established by Henry Huntington in 1895 and linked Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties with over 1,000 miles of service and . . . — Map (db m101473) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Camp Flint
At the onset of World War II the U.S. Army's Western Defense Command and Fourth Army sought to secure the strategically important railroad through the Sierra Nevada Mountains. On December 9th 1941, soldiers of the 32nd Infantry Division arrived here . . . — Map (db m101363) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Location of Camp Flint
The location of Camp Flint was on the hill just above this site now know as the "Auburn Dam Overlook". The site housed barracks for officers, enlisted men, and P.O.Ws. These Personnel were supported by a kitchen, mess hall, parade grounds, and a . . . — Map (db m101364) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Placer County Museum
Built originally as mining exhibit hall on the 20th Agricultural District Fairgrounds, this building was constructed in the 1940s by the W.P.A. Crew from nearby Camp Flint. Placer County Historical Society secured use of a portion of the building . . . — Map (db m101366) HM
California (San Benito County), San Juan Bautista — San Juan Pacific Railway
The San Juan Pacific Railway was incorporated May 4, 1907, becoming the California Central Railroad in 1912. Some of the locals referred to it as The San Juan Terrific. Built to haul the expected large quantities of Portland cement from the Old . . . — Map (db m100906) HM

775 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 575
Paid Advertisement