Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

532 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 332
 
San Juan Comalapa Memorial to Genocide Victims Marker image, Click for more information
By J. Makali Bruton
San Juan Comalapa Memorial to Genocide Victims Marker
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of San Juan Comalapa), San Juan Comalapa — San Juan Comalapa Memorial to Genocide Victims
Coordinador Nacional de Viudas de Guatemala “Conavigua” “Las osamentas y la historia de la verdad” “En memoria a nuestros niños, niñas, mujeres y hombres quienes fueron victimas del genocidio y la represión en los . . . — Map (db m101213) WM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — J. Adrian Coronado y Polanco
Recuerda: Aqui vivio y murio el insigne maestro: J. Adrian Coronado y P. Creador de generaciones dignas y agradecidas. Sus alumnos le dedican a su memoria esta ofrenda: Lic. Manuel Antonio Porras C. Ing. Amando Vides Tobar Lic. Julio Lorenzo . . . — Map (db m100970) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — The Church of the First Bishop of Guatemala
Esta iglesia y este palacio fueron construidos por el Primer Obispo de Guatemala Licenciado Francisco Marroquin que fundo las Primeras Escuelas que hubo en el pais Vino a Guatemala en 1530 Murio en 1563 Fue un modelo de mansedumbre y amor al . . . — Map (db m101001) HM
Guatemala, San Marcos (Municipality of San Marcos) — Bishop Álvaro Leonel Ramazzini Imeri
Avenida Alvaro Leonel Ramazzini Imeri Obispo Agradecimiento a nuestro hermano, amigo y maestro por sus 23 años de incansables enseñanzas de servicio, humildad y ayuda a los más necesitados en la diócesis de San Marcos. ¡Ay de mi si no . . . — Map (db m100996) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — "La Española" Chapel
Ubicación de la Capilla Española del Siglo XVI en la Villa de San Francisco de Campeche; misma que contaba con: nave, sacristía y torre campanario Diciembre de 2000 Sello del UNESCO Patrimonio Mundial, Ciudad Histórica Fortificada de . . . — Map (db m101075) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — "The Palace" Cultural Center
Centro Cultural "El Palacio” El edificio es una reconstrucción del antiguo Palacio de Gobierno, especialmente en sus espacios conocidos como La Aduana y El Principal. En su interior cuenta con un museo de primer nivel cuya función es . . . — Map (db m101078) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — “Tukulná” Handicrafts House
Casa de las Artesanías “Tukulná” De acuerdo con el primer plano regulador de la ciudad de Campeche, elaborado por Francisco de Bazán en 1658,y con el proyectado por Juan Francisco Esquivel en 1663, en este predio ya existía una . . . — Map (db m101080) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Bastion of Santiago
Baluarte de Santiago Este baluarte fue reconstruido a mediados del siglo XX y difiere del modelo original, pero sus actuales elementos permiten una interpretación del sistema defensivo de la ciudad. El original se edificó en 1704 cerca de la . . . — Map (db m101079) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Francisco de Paulo Toro Theater
Teatro “Francisco de Paula Toro” Este teatro fue construido gracias al entusiasmo de un grupo de vecinos, quienes encomendaron al ingeniero Teodoro Journot la supervisión de la construcción. Se inauguró el 15 de septiembre de 1834 . . . — Map (db m101070) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Independence Square
Plaza de la Independencia En 1540 al ser fundada la villa de San Francisco de Campeche, se habilitó este espacio que fungiría como Plaza de Armas, siguiendo los patrones coloniales de la época. En torno a ella se fueron construyendo los . . . — Map (db m101076) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Park of the 4th Centenary San Martín
Parque del IV Centenario San Martín Este parque se encuentra en el lugar conocido como el “Descampado de Guadalupe”, el cual servía como campo de tiro del Baluarte de San José (demolido). Su construcción tuvo lugar durante el . . . — Map (db m101068) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — San Francisco Park
Parque de San Francisco El espacio que ocupa hoy la Plaza de San Francisco perteneció, desde épocas prehispánicas, al antiguo asentamiento maya de Kin Pech, capital del cacicazgo del mismo nombre. Por muchos años fue espacio vacío hasta . . . — Map (db m101087) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Temple and Former Convent of San Francisco de Asís
Templo y Antiguo Convento de San Francisco de Asís Este conjunto monástico se encuentra en lo que fuera el pueblo prehispánico Ah-Kim-Pech, donde los cronistas afirman que en 1517 se ofreció la primera liturgia católica a la llegada de los . . . — Map (db m101086) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — Temple of the Sweet Name of Jesus
Templo del Dulce Nombre de Jesús Durante el siglo XVI, fue una capilla abierta exclusiva para los "morenos" que habitaban en la villa. Posteriormente en el siglo XVIII, debido al auge económico que adquirió el puerto de Campeche y por . . . — Map (db m101072) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — The Birthplace of Justo Sierra Méndez
En esta casa nacio El Maestro Justo Sierra Mendez el 26 de enero de 1848 Homenaje de la Secretaria de Gobernacion 1948 English translation: In this house was born the Master Justo Sierra Méndez on January 26, 1848 Tribute from the . . . — Map (db m101073) HM
Mexico, Campeche (Municipality of Campeche) — The Guadalupe Gate
Puerta de Guadalupe Aquí estuvo la Puerta de Guadalupe, construcción del siglo XVII, proyectada y realizada por el Ingeniero Militar alemán Jaime Franck. La puerta de Guadalupe quedo situada a la mitad de la cortina de muralla, entre los . . . — Map (db m101050) HM
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico — The Hospital of San Hipolito
Aqui estuvo el Hospital de San Hipolito, primero para dementes que hubo en América Fundado por Bernardino Alvarez 1577. Catálogo de la Insp. Gral. de Monumentos Artísticos e Históricos English translation: Here was the Hospital of San . . . — Map (db m100995) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Muncipality of San Miguel of Cozumel), San Miguel de Cozumel — The First Mass Celebrated in Mexico
En esta isla de Cozumel, en un lugar situado a pocos metros de este templo, se celebro la primera misa en territorio nacional. La celebro el Padre Juan Diaz, Capellan de la expedicion que encabezaba el Capitan Don Juan de Grijalva, el 6 de mayo de . . . — Map (db m101346) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of San Miguel de Cozumel), San Miguel de Cozumel — Benito Juárez García
Lic. Benito Juárez García Presidente de México 1858-1872 San Pablo de Guelatao Oaxaca, México 21 de marzo de 1806 México, D.F. 18 de junio de 1872 Insigne patriota Impulsor de México moderno con las Leyes de Reforma Restaurador de la . . . — Map (db m101343) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of San Miguel de Cozumel), San Miguel de Cozumel — Cozumel's Tribute to the Defenders of the Nation
Cozumel Rinde homenaje a los Defensores de la Patria en el centenario de la primera Invasión Norteamericana Septiembre 13 de 1947. Reversa: Teniente Juan de la Barrera · Cadete Juan Escutia · Cadete Agustin Melgar · Cadete Francisco . . . — Map (db m101348) WM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of San Miguel de Cozumel), San Miguel de Cozumel — General Rafael E. Melgar
Gral. Rafael E. Melgar Yanhuitlán, Oax. 1887 Mexico D.F. 21 de marzo 1959 Excelente Gobernador del Territorio de Quintana Roo, de 1935 a 1940. Sus obras públicas y su compromiso social trascienden hasta nuestros días. Cozumel, Q. Roo, 2007. . . . — Map (db m101414) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Solidaridad), Playa del Carmen — Chapel of Our Lady of Carmen
Capilla de Nuestra Sra del Carmen 113 Aniversario - Playa de Carmen, Historia Viva Construida originalmente alrededor del año 1960 por las primeras familias de Playa del Carmen. Para su construccion se emplearon materiales como piedras de . . . — Map (db m101337) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Solidaridad), Punta Laguna — Otoch Ma’ax Yetel Kooh Ramsar Site
Sitio Ramsar – Área de Protección de Flora y Fauna Otoch Ma’ax Yetel Kooh Ramsar Convención sobre los Humedales (Ramsar, Irán 1971)Este sitio está ubicado en el Municipio de Valladolid, Yucatán y se inscribió a la lista Ramsar el 2 de . . . — Map (db m101335) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Tulum), Cobá — The Coba Group
Grupo Cobá Situado entre los lagos Cobá y Macanxoc, es el de mayor tamaño y concentración de edificios en todo Cobá. Cuenta con 43 estructuras, varios patios, cuartos abovedados, una gran plaza, un juego de pelota y diversas estelas. De este . . . — Map (db m101077) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Adjoining Rooms
Cuartos adyacentes Frente a las Siete Muñecas, hacia el poniente, se alinean tres cuartos con doble crujía (4 a 9) y uno sencillo (10) todos ellos sobre plataformas menores. Al sur hay otro cuarto doble (3) y al este uno sencillo (2). . . . — Map (db m101173) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Central Square
Plaza Central La superficie de esta plaza cubre alrededor de 12,240 m2.; tuvo un piso de estuco, hoy desaparecido casi en su totalidad. Esta rodeada por una serie de edificios, cuyas escalinatas se orientan hacie el centro de la plaza. La . . . — Map (db m101108) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Dzibilchaltún Archaeological Site
Este sitio de cultura maya, muy próximo a la costa norte de Yucatán, se sustentaba en una economía marino-litoral, además de agrícola. Su ocupación más temprana debió de ser alrededor del año 300 a.C. y se mantuvo poblado hasta la conquista. La . . . — Map (db m101092) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Edifice 44
Edificio 44 Es una estructura de gran volumen constructivo; mide 130 m. de largo y tiene una escalinata al frente, quizá la más larga de Mesoamérica. Presenta cuatro épocas constructivas: al oeste se encuentra la primera, que finaliza . . . — Map (db m101107) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Sacbe 1
Sacbé 1 Este camino artificial o “sacbé” mide 20 m. de ancho; se inicia al este de la plaza central y 400 m. después, en la misma dirección, entronca con la gran plataforma que sustenta los edificios en torno de la construcción . . . — Map (db m101137) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Structure 36
Estructura 36 Es una pirámide parcialmente liberada compuesto por cuatro plataformas cuadradas y escalonadas, de 9.40 m. de altura, con escalera de acceso por el sur y hacia la plaza central, lugar desde donde los antiguos mayas seguramente . . . — Map (db m101096) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — Substructure 38
Subestructura 38 Es uno de los edificios abovedados más antiguos de Dzibilchaltun. Se construyó con mampostería burda y su bóveda fue techada con la técnica de piedras saledizas. Por la cerámica encontrada en el escombro que rellenaba este . . . — Map (db m101135) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — The Habitational Complex
El contexto habitacional Este conjunto de carácter domestico ocupa una superficie de poco más de 4000 m2. Se compone de una plataforma mayor al centro y alrededor de ella se sitúan otras plataformas menores: dos se le adosan, dos más se sitúan . . . — Map (db m101170) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Dzibilchaltún — The Open Chapel
Capilla Abierta La construcción de la capilla se puede fechar entre 1590 y 1600; su ubicación dentro de la Plaza Central sugiere que en este espacio, ya desde tiempos prehispánicos se llevaban a cabo ceremonias importantes, que se prolongaron . . . — Map (db m101101) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — "El Colonial"
El Colonial Esta histórica esquina lleva el nombre del Teatro Colonial que trajo a los meridianos de entonces años de entretenimiento y diversión. Inaugurado el viernes 2 de noviembre de 1934 con una función de gala, el establecimiento era . . . — Map (db m101088) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — "Los Peones"
Los PeonesEn el edificio ubicado al noroeste de este inmueble, se encuentra la esquina llamada “Los Peones” o “La panificadora” sobre la cual dice Gonzalo Cámara Zavala en su relación de calles de Mérida, que lleva este . . . — Map (db m101301) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — "The Louvre"(Former home of the founders of Mérida)
"El Louvre" (Antigua casa de fundadores de Mérida)Este antiguo edificio ocupa el lugar donde en tiempos de la fundación de Mérida estuvo un "cerro" o montículo que según se cree, era un monumento prehispánico semioculto ya por la maleza y la . . . — Map (db m101195) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — "The Omnibus"
El Omnibus Esta equina ya recibía el nombre de “El Omnibus” en la relación que registra Gonzalo Cámara Zavala en 1948 debido a que en 1889 se estableció el primer servicio urbano de camiones de tracción animal para pasajeros. Se le . . . — Map (db m101208) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary
Capilla de Nuestra Señora del Rosario del Hospital de San Juan de Dios Patrimonio de la NaciónEn esta manzana ubicada al norte de la Catedral estuvo el convento y hospital de la orden de San Juan de Dios, institución que prestó servicios a la . . . — Map (db m101232) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Gabriel Vicente Gahona y Pasos, "Picheta"
En esta casa falleció el 1º de marzo de 1899. El Artista Grabador. Don Gabriel Vicente Gahona y Pasos (Picheta) La Sociedad Yucateca de Grabadores Le rinde este homenaje en el Cincuentenario de su muerte Marzo 1º de 1949 English . . . — Map (db m101091) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — House of Writer José Peón Contreras
Casa del escritor José Peón ContrerasLa casa forma parte de una serie de residencias próximas que fueron todas habitadas por diferentes integrantes de la familia Peón. Entre todas ellas, según escribe el investigador Francisco de Montejo . . . — Map (db m101300) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Pedz Balam House
Casa Pedz Balam Calle 60 x 61 No. 500En lo profundo de los muros de Mérida se pueden descubrir las piedras labradas que en este mismo Centro Histórico levantaron – desde el siglo III a.C. hasta el siglo XVI de nuestra era – las . . . — Map (db m101209) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Temple of San Juan de Dios
Templo de San Juan de DiosAtribuido en un principio a Nuestra Señora del Rosario, el Templo de San Juan de Dios terminó de construirse el 18 de mayo de 1562. Provisionalmente sirvió de Catedral durante la construcción de ésta, de modo que puede . . . — Map (db m101215) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The House of Montejo
Casa de Montejo Patrimonio de la NaciónConstruida por Montejo el Mozo por indicaciones de su padre D. Francisco de Montejo en 1540, en la fachada sólo se conserva la Portada de lo que fue la edificación original, la cual ocupó toda la manzana. . . . — Map (db m101299) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Little Rooster
El Gallito Calle 63 No. 502 x 60 Patrimonio de la NaciónEsta edificación se inició en el siglo XVIII, sustituyendo a una construcción más austera. Durante la intervención francesa, fue residencia temporal de la Emperatriz Carlota Amalia en su . . . — Map (db m101240) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Main Square of Merida
La Plaza Principal de MéridaMérida fue fundada en 1542 por los españoles sobre la antigua ciudad maya de T'Hó. Las edificaciones megaliticas de esta ciudad prehispánica, cuyos orígenes se remontan al periodo preclásico tardío (300 a.c. 300 . . . — Map (db m101302) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Municipal Palace
Palacio Municipal Patrimonio de la NaciónEdificado en donde estuvo la plataforma de un edificio prehispánico conocido como Backluumchaan desde la fundación de la ciudad española, el Palacio Municipal tal y como se aprecia, tiene su origen en . . . — Map (db m101304) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Peninsular Athenaeum
Ateneo Peninsular Patrimonio de la NaciónEl Ateneo Peninsular se encuentra en el edificio del siglo XVII que fue sede del Palacio Episcopal, y que ocupó el costado izquierdo de la Catedral de San lldefonso. Ente los siglos XIX y XX fue . . . — Map (db m101235) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Sheriff's House
Casa del Aguacil Calle 62 No. 500 por 61 Patrimonio de la Nación Habitada en 1783 por D. José Cano Alguacil Mayor de Mérida English translation: The Sheriff’s House No. 500 on 62nd Street at the corner of 61st Street Heritage of the . . . — Map (db m101176) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Valladolid — House of Governor Francisco Canton Rosado
Casa del Gobernador Francisco Cantón RosadoEste edificio de la calle 37 x 44 es en donde nació el ex Gobernador Vallisoletano Francisco Cantón Rosado. Es una casa característica de la clase media en el Periodo Colonial pues es de una sola . . . — Map (db m101310) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — Church of San Servacio
Iglesia de San ServacioLa iglesia de San Servacio está en el centro de la ciudad al costado sur de la plaza principal, sustituye a la que se erigió el 24 de marzo de 1545 por el padre Francisco Hernández cuya fachada miraba hacia el poniente . . . — Map (db m101308) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — Francisco Cantón Rosado Park
Parque Francisco Canton Rosado La población de Valladolid solía tener en el centro un área cuadrada de 100 m2, en el que se conservaba una pirámide maya que fue demolida por los conquistadores quienes usaron las piedras para la edificación de . . . — Map (db m101306) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — Regional Artisans' Center “Zací”
Centro Regional de Artesanías “Zací”Es probable que originalmente haya sido parte del inmueble que hoy conocemos como la Casa Cural, subdivida y remodelada a fines del siglo XIX con su segundo piso y fachada con estilo francés muy . . . — Map (db m101318) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — The Catholic Parsonage of Valladolid
Casa CuralHermosa casa colonial, por su ubicación en esquina y por estar frente a la plaza principal, así como por sus características arquitectónicas. Seguramente fue casa de un conquistador y posteriormente de sus descendientes hasta el Siglo . . . — Map (db m101316) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Valladolid), Valladolid — The Valladolid Artisans' Market
Mercado de ArtesaníasNo se tiene fecha exacta de la construcción de este edificio, pero se cree que debió ser del periodo de gobierno del Vallisoletano Francisco Cantón Rosado (finales del Siglo XIX y principios del Siglo XX). En los años 20’s . . . — Map (db m101313) HM
Scotland, West Lothian, Linlithgow — Linlithgow PalaceWest Range
English The west range, the plainest of the four fronts of the palace, was completed about 1504 in the reign of James IV. The row of large rectangular windows at the first floor level represent a suite of royal rooms: from left to right, . . . — Map (db m86250) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Bay Minette — Bay Minette Korean War Memorial
Battery B 711th AAA Gun Battalion Alabama National Guard Bay Minette, Alabama [List of names in 3 columns] 4 September 1950 Korean War — Map (db m100941) WM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — 173d Airborne Brigade (Sep)1963 — 1971
In commemoration of all Sky Soldiers whose valor and sacrifice in defense of South Vietnam must never be forgotten "All Gave Some – Some Gave All" — Map (db m100946) WM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Fort McDermott
From this Confederate Fort 15 heavy artillery guns, repelled elements of 2 Union Army Corps, routed 5 ironclad monitors attacking up the Blakely River and for 13 days helped prevent the capture of Mobile until after General Lee's Surrender at . . . — Map (db m100911) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Fort McDermott
Highest point along 2 miles of Confederate battle lines extending east and north. Here 200 soldiers from Georgia, Louisiana & Arkansas, held off a numerically superior Union Force for thirteen days and nights in the last battle of the War Between . . . — Map (db m100913) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Ft. McDermott Confederate Memorial Park
Dedicated to the men of the Confederate States of America who valiantly fought for our American liberties, "Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed... whenever any form of government becomes . . . — Map (db m100936) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Women's Veterans MemorialAlabama State Veterans Memorial Cemetery
Dedicated to all women veterans who have served, sacrificed and suffered for our nation. Your patriotism and courage are greatly appreciated and will never be forgotten. [Seals of the U.S. Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps & . . . — Map (db m100943) WM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — Chief Eufaula (Yoholo Micco)In Life and Legend — Creek Heritage Trail
"Chief Eufaula," the man often referred to in the historical record as "Yoholo Micco," was a Creek chieftain from the Upper Creek town of Eufaula. Born in the late 1700s, he fought alongside allied Creeks with United States forces against his Red . . . — Map (db m101427) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — In Honor of All World War II Veterans
[Title is text] Roll of honor Front & Rear Map (db m101418) WM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The City of Eufaula — Creek Heritage Trail
The Second Creek war resulted in the final expulsion of the Creeks from eastern Alabama and paved the way for large-scale American settlement. The town of Irwinton gradually expanded westward from the bluff overlooking the Chattahoochee in the years . . . — Map (db m101361) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The Creek Town of Eufaula — Creek Heritage Trail
The area surrounding Eufaula was once part of a regional Creek population center. Towns of note in the region included Sawokli (also known as Sabacola) and the town of Eufaula for which the modern city is named. Trails linked these closely-connected . . . — Map (db m101355) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The Second Creek War in the Eufaula Area — Creek Heritage Trail
In 1836 long-simmering tensions between Creeks and American settlers erupted into warfare. The Creeks, crowded onto the last portion of their ancestral homeland and witnessing the rampant theft of their lands, had also become subject to harsh laws . . . — Map (db m101360) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The Town of Irwinton — Creek Heritage Trail
A small group of American settlers from Georgia formed a community called Eufaula in this vicinity as early as 1823. The settlement began to grow in importance later in the decade through the influence of prominent local landholder and Creek War . . . — Map (db m101357) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The Tree That Owns Itself
The Tree That Owns Itself Planned and Dedicated April 19, 1961 Replacing the Walker Oak Felled by Wind April 9, 1961 Original Deed Granted by City of Eufaula to the Post Oak Tree April 8, 1936 . . . — Map (db m101286) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — World War I Doughboy
To Those Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice 1917 — World War — 1918 John Asbury Boswell Robert W. Brannon-Hinton W. Holleman Porter R. Doughtie-Daniel T. Tully Lest We Forget. — Map (db m101350) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Bent But Not Broken
A tribute to the citizens of Cullman County for bending, but not breaking, following the EF4 tornado on April 27, 2011. Dedicated: April 27, 2013 Designed by: Cullman City Street Dept. — Map (db m101094) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Combat Wounded VeteransMilitary Order of the Purple Heart — 1782-1932
Dedicated To The Recipients Of The Nation's Oldest Military Decoration "The Purple Heart" Combat Wounded Veterans Military Order of the Purple Heart 1782 - 1932 My stone is red for the . . . — Map (db m101168) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Cullman County Confederate Memorial
This monument is dedicated to the brave men of the Confederacy, who gave their lives and livelihood for the noble cause. Mere words on a stone are little tribute to the measure they gave. But we do this so that future . . . — Map (db m101105) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Cullman County Korean War Memorial
Dedicated in memory of those from Cullman County who gave their lives in the service of their country Korean War Aubrey G. Adams • John Mayfield A. P. Alvis • Leo A. Ponder Leo D. Andrews • Norman Rivers William A. Bates . . . — Map (db m101104) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Cullman County Vietnam Memorial
Dedicated in memory of those from Cullman County who gave their lives in the service of their country Vietnam War [Honor Roll] Map (db m101164) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Cullman County World War I Memorial
Dedicated in memory of those from Cullman County who gave their lives in the service of their country World War I Abercrombie Sam • McCain Rudolphus Baker George N. • McConnell William Bates General D. • Morgan William W. . . . — Map (db m101165) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Cullman County WWII Memorial
Dedicated in memory of those from Cullman County who gave their lives in the service of their country World War II Map (db m101163) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — King Pharr Canning Company Operated Here1946~1976
In 1946, the McPhillips family brought King Pharr Canning Company, a major vegetable canning operation to Cullman. Led by chairman Julian B. McPhillips of Mobile, and his two sons Julian L. McPhillips and W. Warren McPhillips (returning from Navy . . . — Map (db m101093) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Marion Albert HillNov. 13, 1895 — Feb. 3. 1979
The Cullman County native was the first man drafted in America for World War I. His Selective Service number 258, was the first one drawn in the U.S. Senate Building in Washington D.C. on July 20, 1917. 10,500 men were drafted that . . . — Map (db m101097) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Operation Iraqi Freedom - Afghanistan Memorial
. . . — Map (db m101103) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — PFC Patrick BatesCullman County, Alabama
K Company 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marine Division Last American soldier killed in combat, WWII. Shot in back of ear, right side, by a Japanese sniper in Guam. Buried, Punchbowl National Cemetery, Honolulu, Hawaii — Map (db m101098) HM WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — UDC Confederate Memorial
. . . — Map (db m101106) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Vinemont — Streight’s RaidThe Battle of Hog Mountain
"This was a glorious fight, one that did the soldiers' hearts good to look upon, made there in the mountains in the darkness of the night, almost hand-to-hand, with only the light from the vivid flash of the artillery and . . . — Map (db m101089) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Vinemont — Streight’s RaidA Failed Campaign
"The thanks of Congress are again due to General N. B. Forrest and the officers and men of his command, for meritorious service in the field, and especially for the daring, skill, and perseverance exhibited in the pursuit . . . — Map (db m101090) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Brighton — Lynching In America / The Lynching of William Miller
Side 1 Lynching In America Thousands of black people were the victims of lynching and racial violence in the United States between 1877 and 1950. The lynching of African Americans during this era was a form of racial terrorism . . . — Map (db m101159) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Tank M48A1
Armament 1 - 90mm Gun 2 - .50 Cal. Machine Guns 1 - .30 Cal. Machine Gun Weight   99,000 lbs. Combat Loaded Crew   4 Men Maximum Speed   28 mph Cruising Range   70 Miles Grade Ascending Ability   60 . . . — Map (db m100938) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Comic Cowboys of MobileA Mardi Gras Street Parade Society
This marker commemorates the one hundredth anniversary of the founding in Mobile of the Comic Cowboys, a Mardi Gras society believed to be unique in all the world. For a century, it has annually fulfilled its mission by using the art of caricature, . . . — Map (db m101082) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Removal of the Creeks
Side 1 The Creek Indians and their neighbors, the Yuchi, once lived in these woods in harmony with nature and in accordance with their beliefs and customs. During the 1700s and early 1800s, they were progressively dispossessed of . . . — Map (db m101282) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — The Census of 1832
In 1832, a treaty with the United States allotted parcels of land to every Indian household in the Valley. A government census enumerated, according to tribal towns, every Indian head of household, along with the number of males, females, and slaves . . . — Map (db m101415) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — The Creek Nation / The Chattahoochee Indian Heritage Center
The Creek Nation The Creek Nation was a loose confederacy of independent towns that ranks among the most sophisticated and powerful native political organizations in North American history. Largely speakers of the Muskogee dialect, the . . . — Map (db m101284) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Holy Trinity — Spanish Fort, 1689-1691
East of here, on the Chattahoochee River, was the "fort among the Apalachicolas," most northern of the Spanish settlements in eastern North America. A palisaded "strong house" built by Captain Enrique Primo de Rivera to check activities of English . . . — Map (db m101252) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — "Emperor" Brims, Mary Musgrove and Chief William McIntosh — Creek Heritage Trail
Coweta was the home of many influential Creek leaders, including three individuals who figured prominently in the history of the Creek people; "Emperor” Brims, Mary Musgrove, Chief William McIntosh. The Coweta chieftain Brims, who . . . — Map (db m101336) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Coweta and Northeastern Russell County:Focal Point for Creek-American Diplomacy — Creek Heritage Trail
During the tumultuous decades prior to the Removal of the Creeks from their ancestral homelands in the 1830s, the vicinity of the town of Coweta became an important location for interaction between the Creek Nation and the American government. . . . — Map (db m101339) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Coweta: Center for International Diplomacy — Creek Heritage Trail
Coweta served as a critical place of interaction between Creeks and Europeans throughout the colonial era. Situated at the intersection of regional trading routes and the claims of expanding Spanish, English and French colonial empires, it became . . . — Map (db m101334) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — The Creek Town of Coweta — Creek Heritage Trail
The town of Coweta was actually two separate Native American settlements and dozens of affiliated outlying communities occupied at different times in what is now northeastern Russell County. "Coweta Tallahassee" (old Coweta), regarded by most . . . — Map (db m101328) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Apache Pass
The Road Below We started through Apache Pass, over awful roads, up hill and down. We had to tie the wagon wheels with ropes and then in some places, the men had to stand on the wheels to keep them from turning over. Every man who could . . . — Map (db m101004) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Cavalry Barracks
This massive adobe structure was among the earliest built at the new fort. By the mid-1880s, it had a shingled and pitched roof, attractive porches, kerosene lamps, and landscaping. The kitchen was behind the barracks; the mess hall adjacent. . . . — Map (db m100998) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Cavalry Mess Hall and Kitchen
Palatable food during the fort's early days was a constant problem; the soil was poor quality, lacking nutrients, and other sources of fresh food were distant. Though neighboring ranches supplied some vegetables and meats, they were still a day's . . . — Map (db m100956) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Commanding Officer's Quarters
The fort's most elaborate structure, a two story, Victorian-style mansion, was built in 1884-1885 for about $4,000.00. An expensive home at that time! Among its thirteen rooms (originally designed as a duplex) were a drawing room, a sewing room with . . . — Map (db m101000) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Infantry Barracks
Enlisted infantrymen found that privacy was not a feature of barracks life. Privates and corporals bunked together in the main room; sergeants occupied small adjoining rooms. Each soldier stored his military gear and personal belongings on a . . . — Map (db m101002) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Post Trader(Sutler's Store)
The equivalent of the modern army post exchange, the post trader offered for sale items not supplied by the army – toilet articles, sewing supplies, tobacco, medicinal cure-alls, fresh vegetables, canned fruits, and a wide variety of . . . — Map (db m101003) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Quartermaster Storehouse
This frame building with a shingled roof was constructed in 1883 to enlarge the storage space available to the quartermaster. The original adobe storehouse, built in 1868, is immediately to the south. The post quartermaster and his staff . . . — Map (db m100954) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bowie — Second Fort Bowie
Two years after the 1872 peace agreement with Cochise, the great Apache chief died. Several hundred Chiricahuas were relocated on the San Carlos Indian Reservation. However, Geronimo and over a hundred of his followers escaped the roundup, to begin . . . — Map (db m100953) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Kennedy Mine Headframe
Gold changed an entire way of life in California during the Gold Rush. In 1860 Andrew Kennedy and three partners filed 4 mining claims of about 600 feet long. Two shafts were started near what is now Highway 49. The shafts were started, which . . . — Map (db m101351) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — The Thomas Starr King Bell
The Thomas Starr King Bell was donated to the town of Volcano by Unitarian preacher Thomas Starr King in 1862, who was greatful to the town for its support for the Union and the election of Abraham Lincoln. The bell was originally located at the . . . — Map (db m101341) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — Fray Fermin Francisco DeLasuen, O.F.M.(1736-1803)
Born in Victoria, Spain - 1736. Joined the Franciscan Order in 1751. Sent to the College of San Fernando in Mexico City in 1759. Labored in Mexico and Baja, California until 1775. Spent 10 years at Mission San Diego. Selected 2nd Presidente . . . — Map (db m101198) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — Mission San Fernando Rey de España
1. Historical Museum The museum exhibits a pictorial history of the mission, pottery, santos, trade and commerce items, together with an extensive collection of early mission baskets given by Marie and Mark Harrington. 2. . . . — Map (db m101200)
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — 1006 — Beale's Cut Stagecoach Pass
[This site was designated as California Registered Historic Landmark No. 1006 on May 11, 1992. There are three rock and concrete bases which at one time displayed three different plaques. The plaques are now missing.] California . . . — Map (db m101202) HM
California (Nevada County), Smartsville — Sucker Flat
This now quiet valley was once the site of the Gold-Rush Era town of Sucker Flat - and of the Blue Point and Blue Gravel Mines. These were two of the richest hydraulic mines in California. Which along with a number of other claims work the . . . — Map (db m100992) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Camp Flint
At the onset of World War II the U.S. Army's Western Defense Command and Fourth Army sought to secure the strategically important railroad through the Sierra Nevada Mountains. On December 9th 1941, soldiers of the 32nd Infantry Division arrived here . . . — Map (db m101363) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Location of Camp Flint
The location of Camp Flint was on the hill just above this site now know as the "Auburn Dam Overlook". The site housed barracks for officers, enlisted men, and P.O.Ws. These Personnel were supported by a kitchen, mess hall, parade grounds, and a . . . — Map (db m101364) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Placer County Museum
Built originally as mining exhibit hall on the 20th Agricultural District Fairgrounds, this building was constructed in the 1940s by the W.P.A. Crew from nearby Camp Flint. Placer County Historical Society secured use of a portion of the building . . . — Map (db m101366) HM
California (San Benito County), San Juan Bautista — San Juan Pacific Railway
The San Juan Pacific Railway was incorporated May 4, 1907, becoming the California Central Railroad in 1912. Some of the locals referred to it as The San Juan Terrific. Built to haul the expected large quantities of Portland cement from the Old . . . — Map (db m100906) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Santa Margarita — Pozo
In the 1850's Ynocente Garcia and sons recorded claims for the Rancho San Jose which included today's Pozo. In 1878, the area's first postmaster, George Lingo, was refused the name San Jose for the post office and accepted Pozo (Well - in Spanish) . . . — Map (db m101109) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), New Cuyama — Nancy Kelsey
By being the sole woman to join the Bidwell - Barttleston Party. The earliest organized overland immigrant party into California. Nancy Kelsey became the first American woman to come across the plains and transverse the rugged Sierra Nevada. She . . . — Map (db m101142) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Aptos — First High Altitude Airplane Flights March 1905
One hundred years ago, in the skies above this monument, three soaring flights were made on March 16th, 17th, and 20th, by an aeroplane- glider flown by Aeronaut and parachute dare- devil, Daniel John Maloney, which had been designed and . . . — Map (db m100963) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Davenport — Big Creek Light and Power Company
The third hydroelectric power plant in California, built by Fred Swanton, local promoter and founder of the Santa Cruz Boardwalk, began operations on this site March of 1896. In the plant's final configuration, water from Big Creek, Boyer Creek . . . — Map (db m100965) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Davenport — Davenport Jail
Built in 1914, the entire structure is made of Santa Cruz Portland Cement from the nearby Davenport Cement Plant. During its history, the two-cell jail saw little use in this peaceful community. It once held two boys from San Mateo while they . . . — Map (db m100921) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Felton — The Cremer House
The Cremer Hotel was completed in 1876 to house, feed & entertain the laborers who massed to the San Lorenzo Valley when Redwood logging began in the late 19th century. Gambling, loose women and liquor flowed freely within its redwood-framed walls, . . . — Map (db m100903) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — Bull and Bear Fights
This is the location of one of the last known bull and bear rings in California, where the animals were placed in a wooden stockade and local settlers would bet on the outcome of their fight. Bull and Bear fights were brought to Santa Cruz by . . . — Map (db m100961) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — The Branciforte Adobe
The only remaining structure of the Villa de Branciforte established in 1797. The last and least prosperous of threee Spanish settlements in Alta California. Populated by paroled petty criminals from Guadalajaran juzgados and pensioned soldiers. The . . . — Map (db m100905) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk1907 - 2007
Towards the end of the 19th Century Fred W. Swanton, considered one of the greatest promoters and entrepreneurs of his time, laid plans for a casino and boardwalk - a "Coney Island of the West." The casino opened in 1904 but survived only 22 months; . . . — Map (db m100908) HM
California (Sierra County), Downieville — Mountain Howitzers
The Mountain Howitzer is a short barreled, large caliber cannon designed on such a small scale that the entire piece can be taken apart and carried on pack animals. Mountain Howitzers were mostly used on small skirmishes, scouting expeditions and . . . — Map (db m101426) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Seymour — The FallsGenerating Historic Moments
The Naugatuck River abounded with runs of migratory (diadromous) fish prior to the arrival of European colonists. These fish runs had been an important food source for Native Peoples for centuries and this exact spot — at the foot of a gorge . . . — Map (db m101374) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Dumbarton Oaks
In 1702 The Rock of Dumbarton was granted by Queen Anne to Colonel Ninian Beall — In 1717 Colonel George Beall - his son - added to his lands - In 1780 Thomas Beall - his son - sold the property to William Dorsey and in 1801 William Hammond . . . — Map (db m101367) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The Georgetown Heights
Occupying the most prominent site on the Georgetown Heights overlooking Georgetown, the Potomac River and Virginia is the Georgetown Branch Library. The library houses the Peabody Room, an archive devoted to the history of Georgetown. The archive . . . — Map (db m101365) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — The Northern Baptist Convention
In This Building On May 16-17, 1907 —The— Northern Baptist Convention Was Formed and The Hon. Charles Evans Hughes Elected Its First President — Map (db m100889) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Titanic Memorial
[front (north) face of statue base:] To the brave men who perished in the wreck of the Titanic April 15, 1912. They gave their lives that women and children might be saved. [reverse (south) face of statue . . . — Map (db m100951) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Wheat Row
This Property Has Been Placed on the National Register Of Historic Places By the United States Department of Agriculture — Map (db m100935) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Gainesville Regional Airport
The City of Gainesville began construction of this airport in April of 1940 as a project of the depression era Works Progress Administration. With WWII looming, construction was taken over by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1941. Initial . . . — Map (db m101411) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Major General John R Alison(1912-2011)
John Richardson "Johnny" Alison was born in Micanopy, Florida, on November 12, 1912. He was a highly decorated flying ace and served in both theaters of World War II. Johnny Alison graduated from Gainesville High School in 1931 and the University of . . . — Map (db m101412) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — F-857 — Carter-Fuller Mound Complex
Before modern construction a complex of six burial mounds occupied this location. They were built by the ancestors of the prehistoric Ais tribe, a group who occupied the Cape Canaveral area at the time of European contact. Based on pottery styles . . . — Map (db m101390) HM
Florida (Brevard County), LaGrange — F-540 — LaGrange Community Church
Founded by Tom Johnson Cockshutt in 1869, this was the first organized Protestant Church on the East Coast of Florida between New Smyrna and Key West. Tom donated land for a cemetery and built a small log structure located on what is now the . . . — Map (db m101179) HM
Florida (Brevard County), LaGrange — Site of First Church
Site of the first church erected between New Smyrna and Key West A community church — Map (db m101180) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Merritt Island — F-713 — Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church of Merritt Island & Community Cemetery"White Lilly Cemetery" — 1892
Established in 1892, the Bethel A.M.E. Church of Merritt Island was the first African Methodist Episcopal church on North Tropical Trail, located on land James R. Ragan originally acquired through the Homestead Act in 1895. The wooden church sat on . . . — Map (db m101067) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Merritt Island — F-575 — John H. Sams Homestead
The Sams family came to Brevard County from South Carolina in 1875 to take advantage of the 1860 Homestead Act. The family consisted of John Hanahan Sams, his wife Sarah, their five children, Johns brother William Sams, and his sister, Catherine . . . — Map (db m101410) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Merritt Island — F-574 — St. Luke's Episcopal Church
St. Luke's Episcopal Church of Courtenay was formed by the Porcher, LaRoche, Sams and other families that settled on north Merritt Island after leaving the Charleston, South Carolina area in 1875 due to the loss of their homes and plantations during . . . — Map (db m101022) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Mims — F-539 — Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church of Mims
In 1894, after organizing a congregation, St. James Colored Missionary Baptist Church acquired land in Mims, and with Rev. G. Brewer as pastor, built the first wooden church on this site in 1904 under the guidance of Rev. J.S. Gilbert. Many of North . . . — Map (db m101402) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Mims — F-489 — LaGrange Community Cemetery
Established in 1869, this is the oldest cemetery on Florida's lower East coast. The oldest portion is located in the front center section, evidenced by the southeasterly positioning of the tombstones. Tom Johnson Cockshutt (1841-1917), who arrived . . . — Map (db m101404) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Mims — F-488 — LaGrange/Mims Community Cemetery
In the early 1900s, a two acre parcel of land north of LaGrange Community Church and Cemetery was given to the Mims colored community for a cemetery. Earliest marked graves are dated 1903; many are unmarked. In the 1800s both blacks and whites . . . — Map (db m101403) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Scobie Fish & Oyster Company - 1885Historic Titusville
George W. Scobie sailed his 50-foot oyster boat Sophie Fry to Titusville in 1885 and founded the Indian River commercial fishing industry. When rail service arrived, he began shipping large quantities of oysters and fish north. Before long, . . . — Map (db m101409) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — F-231 — St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church
In 1887, construction of a church was begun on land donated to the Titusville Episcopal mission by Mary Titus, wife of the town's founder, and J. Dunlin Perkinson, lay reader of the mission. The name of the church was changed from St. John's to St. . . . — Map (db m101181) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — F-36 — Titus House
Located on the Indian River, the hotel was built (circa 1869) and operated by Henry T. Titus, founder of Titusville. The building, constructed of wood, was U-shaped with each room opening on a veranda facing a tropical garden. In the days of steam . . . — Map (db m101407) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Titus House & the Indian River Hotel, c. 1869Historic Titusville
The Titus House was one of the earliest hotels on the Indian River. It was built by Henry Titus, founder of Titusville, on the site across the street. Col. Titus had a colorful career that included blockade running during the Civil War. He became . . . — Map (db m101408) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — F-897 — Titusville Veteran's Memorial Fishing Pier
This pier was the western end of Walker Bridge, the first bridge linking Titusville to Merritt Island. Built in 1922, the hand-cranked, wooden drawbridge served the area until preparations for a modern causeway began in the late 1930s. Causeway . . . — Map (db m100950) HM
Florida (Charlotte County), Charlotte Harbor — Charlotte Harbor Cemetery
Established in 1879, Charlotte Harbor Cemetery is the oldest known cemetery in Charlotte County and the final resting place of many local pioneers who braved a subtropical wilderness and Civil War reconstruction to build a settlement on the . . . — Map (db m101018) HM
Florida (Charlotte County), Charlotte Harbor — Hickory Bluff Pioneers
After the Civil War (1861-1865), soldiers stationed in Florida decided to stay for the warm climate as well as for political and financial gain. Some became early pioneers here in Hickory Bluff, not far from the 1872 Charlotte Harbor post office.

. . . — Map (db m101021) HM

Florida (Charlotte County), Charlotte Harbor — Trinity United Methodist Church
A congregation has met at Trinity United Methodist Church continuously since 1873. The first church organized in today's Charlotte County, its members have been an integral part of our history. Joel and Jesse Knight, James McKay and Jacob Summerlin . . . — Map (db m101019) HM
Florida (Clay County), Penney Farms — F-465 — Town of Penney Farms 1927
James Cash Penney (1876-1971), philanthropist and founder of J.C. Penney Department Stores, purchased 120,000 acres in Clay County and invited farmers to claim 40-acre tracts by clearing the land, building houses, growing crops and raising . . . — Map (db m101184) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — F-530 — Princess Place Estate
In 1791, the King of Spain offered a 1,100-acre land grant to Francisco Pellicer. Henry Mason Cutting purchased the property in 1886, renaming it Cherokee Grove. Featuring local materials including tabby block cladding, cedar and palm tree trunk . . . — Map (db m101222) HM
Florida (Franklin County), Apalachicola — F-179 — Chestnut Street Cemetery of Early Apalachicola(Old City Graveyard)
Chestnut Street Cemetery dates prior to 1831. Interred are some of Apalachicola's founders and molders of her colorful history. Also buried here are many soldiers of the Confederacy and victims of yellow fever and shipwrecks. Seven of the . . . — Map (db m101138) HM
Florida (Franklin County), Apalachicola — F-62 — Franklin County
Named for Benjamin Franklin, the county was created in 1832. Apalachicola, the county seat, which dates back to the times of the Creek Indians, was an important center for cotton trade. The county is noted for agrigulture, timber, livestock and sea . . . — Map (db m101140) HM
Florida (Franklin County), Apalachicola — F-740 — The Dr. Alvan W. Chapman House
This classical Greek Revival style house served as the residence of Dr. Alvan Wentworth Chapman, physician, scientist, and eminent botanist, whose research and writings on the flora of the south received international recognition. Born in 1809 in . . . — Map (db m101139) HM
Florida (Franklin County), Apalachicola — F-908 — The Hanserd-Fry House
Constructed ca. 1845, the Hanserd-Fry House is one of Apalachicola's finest examples of Palladian Greek Revival style architecture. The well-preserved house features a symmetrical porch with Tuscan classical columns typical of the Greek Revival . . . — Map (db m100891) HM
Florida (Franklin County), Apalachicola — F-121 — When the River Was King!
(side 1) History records the first shipment of cotton to leave this Port, arrived New York, 1822. Beginning 1836, forty-three, three-storied brick, Cotton Warehouses and Brokerages lined Apalachicola's water front. Their granite-columned . . . — Map (db m101141) HM
Florida (Franklin County), Carabelle Beach — F-855 — Camp Gordon Johnston Training Area
With the approach of World War II, amphibious warfare training centers were hurriedly built. Camp Carrabelle opened in September 1941. Construction began in July 1942 and the camp was renamed in honor of Colonel Gordon Johnston (1874-1934), a highly . . . — Map (db m100897) HM
Florida (Franklin County), Lanark Village — F-371 — Camp Gordon Johnston1942-1946
In June 1942 the U.S. War Department selected a 155,000 acre section of coastal Franklin County to be used as an amphibious warfare training center. Originally called Camp Carabelle, the base was renamed in January 1943 to honor the memory of . . . — Map (db m101177) HM
Florida (Gulf County), Wewahitchka — Gulf County Old Courthouse
The South Portion of Calhoun County was cut out in 1925 to form Gulf County. Wewahitchka was chosen as the county seat. The first county business was transacted in a local business house until this court house was built in 1927, and served until the . . . — Map (db m101419) HM
Florida (Gulf County), Wewahitchka — Wewahitchka Centennial1875-1975
(side 1) Fort Place, or Richard's Fort, five miles south, erected in the early 1800's is considered as the forerunner of Wewahitchka. People lived in the area earlier. Wewahitchka (Indian name for water eyes), first permanent settlement in . . . — Map (db m101420) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Bealsville — Bealsville
The community that became known as Bealsville was settled in late 1865 by former slaves from nearby plantations in Hopewell, Springhead and surrounding areas. The original settlers were Steven Allen, Issac Berry, Peter Dexter, Neptune Henry, Mills . . . — Map (db m101009) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Brandon — Brandon Masonic Lodge No. 114, F. & A.M.1890-1990
"Freemasons" have helped build and lead America for over 200 years. The members of the Brandon Masonic Lodge, chartered Jan. 22, 1890, have done the same for their respective communities during the past 100 years. Originally named Hacienda Lodge No. . . . — Map (db m100984) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Brandon — Brandon School
During WWI, the original sandstone brick "Twin Towers" were built on land once belonging to the Brandon family. This school consolidated the area's one-room schoolhouses to better educate the young. The first principal, John T. Bushong, expanded . . . — Map (db m100982) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — St. Peter Claver Catholic School
In 1893, the Jesuit Fathers at Sacred Heart Church established a school on Morgan Street. St. Peter Claver Catholic School, named for the Spanish Jesuit missionary priest, was founded for the children of the African American community. On February . . . — Map (db m101005) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Temple Terrace — Mrs. Bertha Honore Palmer(1849-1918)
Bertha Palmer, born in Louisville, Kentucky, was a world-renowned socialite, art patron, successful businesswoman, early feminist, and philanthropist. She played a pivotal role in the creation of the City of Temple Terrace. In 1902, after the death . . . — Map (db m101008) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Temple Terrace — Reverend Billy Graham2011
Near here in 1937, world-recognized evangelist Billy Graham would paddle his canoe across the river to the little island. There he would practice his sermons on the creatures of the river great and small, from alligators to birds. Dr. Graham, one of . . . — Map (db m101007) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Temple Terrace — Spanish Exploration of Temple TerraceApril 25 & 26, 1757
On April 25, 1757, as they explored the Hillsborough River (Rio De San Julian Y Arriaga) and searched for pine trees for ship masts. Don Francisco Maria Celi, Captain of the Spanish Royal Fleet, and 19 armed members of the expedition camped in this . . . — Map (db m100983) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Temple Terrace — The Largest Orange Grove in the World
Side 1 The grand plan for Temple Terraces Florida-Tampa's Most Beautiful Suburb along with the town plan featuring the Temple Terraces Golf & Country Club, included a 5,000 acre Temple orange grove. The rendering above highlights the . . . — Map (db m101006) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — Fight at the Chipola River BridgeThe Battle of Marianna
Retreating Confederate troops reached the Chipola River after fighting pursuing Union troops from Ely Corner (intersection of Lafayette and Russ Streets) to this point. Captain Robert Chisolm's Woodville Scouts, a cavalry unit from Alabama, drove . . . — Map (db m101422) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — F-920 — The West End Community
As early as 1825, African Americans settled in the Jackson County area. After 1865, interconnected communities developed their own infrastructure including cemeteries, schools, and churches. From these communities, a large population came together . . . — Map (db m101421) HM
Florida (Lee County), Ft. Myers — Edison Park School
Historic Edison Park School, a public Elementary School, is one of the oldest in Southwest Florida. It has played a prominent role in the cultural as well as the educational life of this community. Started in 1926 and opened on March 30, 1927, it . . . — Map (db m101017) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-817 — Chandler's Tourist Camp1925-1929
In 1915, construction began on the Dixie Highway system that linked Florida with the Midwest via highways running from Michigan through Tallahassee along Old St. Augustine Road toward Miami. In the 1920s, the number of auto tourists visiting Florida . . . — Map (db m100888) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-751 — 9th Avenue West Bridge
At this location over Wares Creek once stood one of the oldest concrete arch deck bridges in the State of Florida. Designed by noted local civil engineer Freeman H. Horton, the former 9th Avenue West bridge was constructed during World War II by the . . . — Map (db m100899) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-786 — Adams and Rogers Cemeteries
Adams Cemetery, once known as the Fogartyville Colored Cemetery, began in 1896 when William H. and Eliza Atzeroth Forgarty donated four acres of land to the community for use as a public cemetery. The cemetery’s earliest marker is the final resting . . . — Map (db m100900) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Bealls Centennial
(side 1) In April of 1915, twenty-two year old Robert M. Beall opened a simple dry goods store on this block of Old Main Street. Pricing nothing over a dollar, he named it the Dollar Limit. Beall invested his money in merchandise so when . . . — Map (db m100947) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Courthouse Square
(side 1) In 1892, John Crews Pelot deeded this 200 x 400 square foot parcel of land to Manatee County for the sum of $200.00. The land was cleared at a cost of $62.50, and a new courthouse, the first in "Braidentown" and the county's third . . . — Map (db m100948) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Florida Highway Patrol SchoolBradenton, Florida 1939
(side 1) In 1939, the Legislature created the Department of Public Safety and Florida Highway Patrol. Governor Fred P. Cone appointed W.F. Reid director in September. On October 1, Major H. Neil Kirkman was appointed Commandant of the . . . — Map (db m100925) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Former Town of Fogartyville/Former Town of Wilhelmsenburg
(side 1) Former Town of Fogartyville This marker stands on the eastern boundary of Fogartyville, a town founded on land acquired under the Homestead Act after the War Between the States by Fogarty bros., Capt. Bartholomew (Tole), . . . — Map (db m100901) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — F-787 — Old Memphis Cemetery
Palmetto’s historic Memphis neighborhood was originally plotted in 1904 by Robert F. Willis who sold lots to “a number of very desirable people” who built homes in what he named the “Town of Memphis” after his hometown in . . . — Map (db m100898) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — F-146 — Palmetto
(side 1) S.S. Lamb came here with his family from Mississippi in a covered wagon and barouche and purchased this property on February 3, 1868. Lamb laid out and named Palmetto. The Lamb home, which stood about 100 yards west of here, was . . . — Map (db m100922) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — F-153 — Palmetto Baptist Church/Dr. M.B. Harrison
Palmetto Baptist Church The Palmetto Baptist Church was organized on January 5, 1892, and a few months later its first building was erected on this site. The Reverend R.H. Whitehead, under whose leadership the church was constituted, became . . . — Map (db m100920) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — The 'Old' Palmetto Cemetery
The 'old' Palmetto Cemetery was established prior to 1888 and was used until 1910. The cemetery comprises one acre of land donated by Samuel Sparks Lamb, recognized founder of Palmetto. It is known as the Yellow Fever Cemetery because of the . . . — Map (db m100924) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — The Plymouth
This historic property was the site of the Levi Jones homestead. The original house, constructed in 1900, is no longer standing, but had similar architectural details as the current structure. Jennie Jones Melman was born on this site August 23, . . . — Map (db m100923) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Whitfield — Whitfield Estates on Sarasota Bay
(side 1) The southern portion of Whitfield Estates was developed on land originally owned (1876-1912) by Fannie and General John Riggin Jr., an aide-de-camp of General Ulysses S. Grant during the Civil War. In 1924 a corporation led by . . . — Map (db m100919) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — 38 — Basilica of St. Mary Star of the Sea-Circa 1852-
Welcome to the oldest Roman Catholic Parish in South Florida. There is evidence that Spanish Jesuits serving in Cuba first attempted to establish a mission in Key West as early as 1724.The first Catholic Church on the island was dedicated February . . . — Map (db m101385) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-78 — Convent Of Mary Immaculate(1878)
Built by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, a Canadian Order which first established a school here in 1868. Designed by William Kerr of Ireland, of Romanesque style, with dormered, mansard roofs and central tower. In the Spanish- . . . — Map (db m101297) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — 93 — Cornish Memorial AME Zion ChurchCirca 1864
Founded in 1864, Cornish Chapel members began building their church in 1885. Designed to resemble European cathedrals, it served as a place of worship, school, and refuge during inclement weather. The foundation was quarried from the site and its . . . — Map (db m101245) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-765 — Eduardo H. Gato House
This house, with its elaborate Queen Anne style detailing, was built c. 1894 by E. H. Gato, Sr. (1847-1926). The Gato family was one of Key West's most prominent families, and three generations of the family lived here until 1951. Eduardo H. Gato . . . — Map (db m101296) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-647 — Fort Taylor
Fort Taylor was constructed in 1845 as part of the Third Tier System of Defense which called for the establishment of masonry fortresses constructed along America’s coastline to prevent sea attacks upon the United States. This fort was an important . . . — Map (db m101356) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — War of 1898On this site the Catholic Convent of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary was located
(side 1) In April of 1898 it was graciously offered and converted to a 400 bed United States Army Hospital for the treatment of soldiers and sailors, ill with dangerous tropical diseases or wounded in battle, during Cuba's War of . . . — Map (db m101295) HM
Florida (Orange County), Conway — Citrus Industry and Red Hill Groves/Conway School
(side 1) Citrus Industry and Red Hill Groves Cattle ranches and turpentine stills filled the Conway landscape in the late nineteenth century, but it was the citrus industry that would predominate in most of the twentieth century. . . . — Map (db m101053) HM
Florida (Orange County), Conway — Conway First Baptist Church/Fort Gatlin
(side 1) Conway First Baptist Church The Conway First Baptist Church was organized in 1910 and first housed in a clubhouse on Arnold Avenue and Anderson Road. In February 1911, the clubhouse and lot were sold or exchanged for five . . . — Map (db m101052) HM
Florida (Orange County), Conway — St. Mary's Missionary Baptist Church/Datson Dairy
(side 1) St. Mary's Missionary Baptist Church St. Mary's Missionary Baptist Church was built on land donated by Mary Walker in 1915. It was a small frame building with a steeple to the side of the main entrance The small African . . . — Map (db m101051) HM
Florida (Orange County), Conway — The English Colony/The Polo Club
(side 1) The English Colony A group of Englishmen known locally as the English Colony immigrated to Conway in the 1880s. They came as a result of a land and citrus industry promotion by the state and railroad corporations that . . . — Map (db m101054) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-904 — Atlantic Coastline Station
(side 1) In 1880, the South Florida Railroad built a railway through Orlando. The small community boomed with land speculators, citrus and cattle investors, and tourists. In 1902, the larger Atlantic Coastline Railroad acquired the South . . . — Map (db m100895) HM
Florida (Pasco County), New Port Richey — Green Key
Named for the color of the abundant mangroves, Green Key was originally known as Deer Island. It was homesteaded in the early 1900s by J.G. "Gip" and Cora Brown, who built a home at the tip of the key. In 1930, a limerock causeway was constructed . . . — Map (db m101389) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Wesley Chapel — Double Branch Baptist Church and Cemetery
By 1884 Mary Jane Godwin had applied for a Homestead Patent for 160 acres of land along present day S.R. 54. She received a two-acre parcel of this land on January 27, 1890, one acre for the cemetery and one acre for the church-Double Branch . . . — Map (db m101055) HM
Florida (Polk County), Mulberry — PCHC-018 — Pierce
On this site stood the phosphate mining town of Pierce. It was one of many company-owned mining towns and villages that once populated Polk County. Pierce was started in April 1906 by the Pierce Phosphate Company. This company was acquired in . . . — Map (db m100904) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Edgar — F-736 — The Edgar Post Office
During the 1870s, Scotsman Charles S. Edgar mined kaolin clay deposits for the Edgar Brothers Clay Company of Metuchen, New Jersey. This clay was used to make heat- resistant bricks and hearth tiles. As the company expanded, Edgar began searching . . . — Map (db m100893) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — F-911 — Nelmar Terrace Historic District
(side 1) The Nelmar Terrace area has been the site of portions of a Timucuan Indian village, a plantation under British Governor James Grant in the 1770s, and parcels of Spanish land grants after 1784. From 1844-1869 the area was the . . . — Map (db m100892) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Bispham Dairy
(side 1) Jackson and Katherine Bispham started a dairy in 1922 north of Sarasota with Sarasota County Dairy Permit No. 2. Later that year Bispham moved his operation to the area of present South Tamiami Trail and Fiesta Street, named it . . . — Map (db m101064) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — First Municipal Airport Lowe Field
(side 1) On January 12, 1929, Sarasota dedicated its first municipal airport located on 160 acres just west of Oriente Avenue, now Beneva Road, and north of Fruitville Rd. Pilots performed aerial maneuvers and stunts for the crowd, many of . . . — Map (db m101387) HM

532 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 332
Paid Advertisement