Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

 
General Rafael E. Melgar Marker image, Click for more information
By J. Makali Bruton, January 15, 2017
General Rafael E. Melgar Marker
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of San Miguel de Cozumel), San Miguel de Cozumel — General Rafael E. Melgar
Gral. Rafael E. Melgar Yanhuitlαn, Oax. 1887 Mexico D.F. 21 de marzo 1959 Excelente Gobernador del Territorio de Quintana Roo, de 1935 a 1940. Sus obras pϊblicas y su compromiso social trascienden hasta nuestros dνas. Cozumel, Q. Roo, 2007. . . . — Map (db m101414) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — Chief Eufaula (Yoholo Micco) — In Life and Legend — Creek Heritage Trail
"Chief Eufaula," the man often referred to in the historical record as "Yoholo Micco," was a Creek chieftain from the Upper Creek town of Eufaula. Born in the late 1700s, he fought alongside allied Creeks with United States forces against his Red . . . — Map (db m101427) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — In Honor of All World War II Veterans
[Title is text] Roll of honor Front & Rear Map (db m101418) WM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The City of Eufaula — Creek Heritage Trail
The Second Creek war resulted in the final expulsion of the Creeks from eastern Alabama and paved the way for large-scale American settlement. The town of Irwinton gradually expanded westward from the bluff overlooking the Chattahoochee in the years . . . — Map (db m101361) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The Creek Town of Eufaula — Creek Heritage Trail
The area surrounding Eufaula was once part of a regional Creek population center. Towns of note in the region included Sawokli (also known as Sabacola) and the town of Eufaula for which the modern city is named. Trails linked these closely-connected . . . — Map (db m101355) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The Second Creek War in the Eufaula Area — Creek Heritage Trail
In 1836 long-simmering tensions between Creeks and American settlers erupted into warfare. The Creeks, crowded onto the last portion of their ancestral homeland and witnessing the rampant theft of their lands, had also become subject to harsh laws . . . — Map (db m101360) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The Town of Irwinton — Creek Heritage Trail
A small group of American settlers from Georgia formed a community called Eufaula in this vicinity as early as 1823. The settlement began to grow in importance later in the decade through the influence of prominent local landholder and Creek War . . . — Map (db m101357) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — The Census of 1832
In 1832, a treaty with the United States allotted parcels of land to every Indian household in the Valley. A government census enumerated, according to tribal towns, every Indian head of household, along with the number of males, females, and slaves . . . — Map (db m101415) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Kennedy Mine Headframe
Gold changed an entire way of life in California during the Gold Rush. In 1860 Andrew Kennedy and three partners filed 4 mining claims of about 600 feet long. Two shafts were started near what is now Highway 49. The shafts were started, which . . . — Map (db m101351) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — The Thomas Starr King Bell
The Thomas Starr King Bell was donated to the town of Volcano by Unitarian preacher Thomas Starr King in 1862, who was greatful to the town for its support for the Union and the election of Abraham Lincoln. The bell was originally located at the . . . — Map (db m101341) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — Fray Fermin Francisco DeLasuen, O.F.M. — (1736-1803)
Born in Victoria, Spain - 1736. Joined the Franciscan Order in 1751. Sent to the College of San Fernando in Mexico City in 1759. Labored in Mexico and Baja, California until 1775. Spent 10 years at Mission San Diego. Selected 2nd Presidente . . . — Map (db m101198) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — Mission San Fernando Rey de Espaρa
1. Historical Museum The museum exhibits a pictorial history of the mission, pottery, santos, trade and commerce items, together with an extensive collection of early mission baskets given by Marie and Mark Harrington. 2. . . . — Map (db m101200)
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — 1006 — Beale's Cut Stagecoach Pass
[This site was designated as California Registered Historic Landmark No. 1006 on May 11, 1992. There are three rock and concrete bases which at one time displayed three different plaques. The plaques are now missing.] California . . . — Map (db m101202) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Camp Flint
At the onset of World War II the U.S. Army's Western Defense Command and Fourth Army sought to secure the strategically important railroad through the Sierra Nevada Mountains. On December 9th 1941, soldiers of the 32nd Infantry Division arrived here . . . — Map (db m101363) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Location of Camp Flint
The location of Camp Flint was on the hill just above this site now know as the "Auburn Dam Overlook". The site housed barracks for officers, enlisted men, and P.O.Ws. These Personnel were supported by a kitchen, mess hall, parade grounds, and a . . . — Map (db m101364) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Placer County Museum
Built originally as mining exhibit hall on the 20th Agricultural District Fairgrounds, this building was constructed in the 1940s by the W.P.A. Crew from nearby Camp Flint. Placer County Historical Society secured use of a portion of the building . . . — Map (db m101366) HM
California (Sierra County), Downieville — Mountain Howitzers
The Mountain Howitzer is a short barreled, large caliber cannon designed on such a small scale that the entire piece can be taken apart and carried on pack animals. Mountain Howitzers were mostly used on small skirmishes, scouting expeditions and . . . — Map (db m101426) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Seymour — The Falls — Generating Historic Moments
The Naugatuck River abounded with runs of migratory (diadromous) fish prior to the arrival of European colonists. These fish runs had been an important food source for Native Peoples for centuries and this exact spot — at the foot of a gorge . . . — Map (db m101374) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Dumbarton Oaks
In 1702 The Rock of Dumbarton was granted by Queen Anne to Colonel Ninian Beall — In 1717 Colonel George Beall - his son - added to his lands - In 1780 Thomas Beall - his son - sold the property to William Dorsey and in 1801 William Hammond . . . — Map (db m101367) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The Georgetown Heights
Occupying the most prominent site on the Georgetown Heights overlooking Georgetown, the Potomac River and Virginia is the Georgetown Branch Library. The library houses the Peabody Room, an archive devoted to the history of Georgetown. The archive . . . — Map (db m101365) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Gainesville Regional Airport
The City of Gainesville began construction of this airport in April of 1940 as a project of the depression era Works Progress Administration. With WWII looming, construction was taken over by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1941. Initial . . . — Map (db m101411) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Major General John R Alison — (1912-2011)
John Richardson "Johnny" Alison was born in Micanopy, Florida, on November 12, 1912. He was a highly decorated flying ace and served in both theaters of World War II. Johnny Alison graduated from Gainesville High School in 1931 and the University of . . . — Map (db m101412) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — F-857 — Carter-Fuller Mound Complex
Before modern construction a complex of six burial mounds occupied this location. They were built by the ancestors of the prehistoric Ais tribe, a group who occupied the Cape Canaveral area at the time of European contact. Based on pottery styles . . . — Map (db m101390) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Merritt Island — F-575 — John H. Sams Homestead
The Sams family came to Brevard County from South Carolina in 1875 to take advantage of the 1860 Homestead Act. The family consisted of John Hanahan Sams, his wife Sarah, their five children, Johns brother William Sams, and his sister, Catherine . . . — Map (db m101410) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Mims — F-539 — Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church of Mims
In 1894, after organizing a congregation, St. James Colored Missionary Baptist Church acquired land in Mims, and with Rev. G. Brewer as pastor, built the first wooden church on this site in 1904 under the guidance of Rev. J.S. Gilbert. Many of North . . . — Map (db m101402) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Mims — F-489 — LaGrange Community Cemetery
Established in 1869, this is the oldest cemetery on Florida's lower East coast. The oldest portion is located in the front center section, evidenced by the southeasterly positioning of the tombstones. Tom Johnson Cockshutt (1841-1917), who arrived . . . — Map (db m101404) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Mims — F-488 — LaGrange/Mims Community Cemetery
In the early 1900s, a two acre parcel of land north of LaGrange Community Church and Cemetery was given to the Mims colored community for a cemetery. Earliest marked graves are dated 1903; many are unmarked. In the 1800s both blacks and whites . . . — Map (db m101403) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Scobie Fish & Oyster Company - 1885 — Historic Titusville
George W. Scobie sailed his 50-foot oyster boat Sophie Fry to Titusville in 1885 and founded the Indian River commercial fishing industry. When rail service arrived, he began shipping large quantities of oysters and fish north. Before long, . . . — Map (db m101409) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — F-36 — Titus House
Located on the Indian River, the hotel was built (circa 1869) and operated by Henry T. Titus, founder of Titusville. The building, constructed of wood, was U-shaped with each room opening on a veranda facing a tropical garden. In the days of steam . . . — Map (db m101407) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Titus House & the Indian River Hotel, c. 1869 — Historic Titusville
The Titus House was one of the earliest hotels on the Indian River. It was built by Henry Titus, founder of Titusville, on the site across the street. Col. Titus had a colorful career that included blockade running during the Civil War. He became . . . — Map (db m101408) HM
Florida (Gulf County), Wewahitchka — Gulf County Old Courthouse
The South Portion of Calhoun County was cut out in 1925 to form Gulf County. Wewahitchka was chosen as the county seat. The first county business was transacted in a local business house until this court house was built in 1927, and served until the . . . — Map (db m101419) HM
Florida (Gulf County), Wewahitchka — Wewahitchka Centennial — 1875-1975
(side 1) Fort Place, or Richard's Fort, five miles south, erected in the early 1800's is considered as the forerunner of Wewahitchka. People lived in the area earlier. Wewahitchka (Indian name for water eyes), first permanent settlement in . . . — Map (db m101420) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — Fight at the Chipola River Bridge — The Battle of Marianna
Retreating Confederate troops reached the Chipola River after fighting pursuing Union troops from Ely Corner (intersection of Lafayette and Russ Streets) to this point. Captain Robert Chisolm's Woodville Scouts, a cavalry unit from Alabama, drove . . . — Map (db m101422) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — F-920 — The West End Community
As early as 1825, African Americans settled in the Jackson County area. After 1865, interconnected communities developed their own infrastructure including cemeteries, schools, and churches. From these communities, a large population came together . . . — Map (db m101421) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — 38 — Basilica of St. Mary Star of the Sea — -Circa 1852-
Welcome to the oldest Roman Catholic Parish in South Florida. There is evidence that Spanish Jesuits serving in Cuba first attempted to establish a mission in Key West as early as 1724.The first Catholic Church on the island was dedicated February . . . — Map (db m101385) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-647 — Fort Taylor
Fort Taylor was constructed in 1845 as part of the Third Tier System of Defense which called for the establishment of masonry fortresses constructed along America’s coastline to prevent sea attacks upon the United States. This fort was an important . . . — Map (db m101356) HM
Florida (Pasco County), New Port Richey — Green Key
Named for the color of the abundant mangroves, Green Key was originally known as Deer Island. It was homesteaded in the early 1900s by J.G. "Gip" and Cora Brown, who built a home at the tip of the key. In 1930, a limerock causeway was constructed . . . — Map (db m101389) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — First Municipal Airport Lowe Field
(side 1) On January 12, 1929, Sarasota dedicated its first municipal airport located on 160 acres just west of Oriente Avenue, now Beneva Road, and north of Fruitville Rd. Pilots performed aerial maneuvers and stunts for the crowd, many of . . . — Map (db m101387) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Winter Quarters
(side 1) Just east of this marker was the Winter Quarters of the Ringling Bros. & Barnum & Bailey Circus, a favorite winter attraction for tourists. Occupying what was previously the County Fair Grounds, the show spread over many acres with . . . — Map (db m101388) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-947 — 1st Ohio Infantry — Baldwin's Brigade
1st Regiment Ohio Infantry, Baldwin's Brigade. 10:00 P. M. September 19, to 5:30 P.M. September 20, 1863. Map (db m100933) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1081 — 21st Wisconsin Infantry — 2nd Brigade — Baird's Division
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: 21st Wisconsin Infantry Colonel Harrison C. Hobart 2nd Brigade, Baird's Division Thomas' Corps. Text on the Back Side of the Monument: 21st Wisconsin . . . — Map (db m100929) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-673 — 24th Illinois Infantry — 2nd Brigade - Starkweather — 1st Division - Baird
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: Illinois 24th Infantry. 2nd Brigade - Starkweather. 1st Division - Baird. 14th Army Corps - Thomas. Text on the Back Side of the Monument: Commanded By . . . — Map (db m100927) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-795 — 32nd Indiana Infantry — First Brigade — Second Division
Indiana. Thirty Second Regiment Infantry, (Erdelmeyer) First Brigade. (Willich) Second Division. (Johnson) Fourteenth Corps. (McCook) Sunday, September 20th, 1863, 9 A.M. to 4 p.m. — Map (db m100988) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-735 — 5th Indiana Battery — Baldwin's Brigade — Johnson's Division
5th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery. 4 James, 2 Napoleons Baldwin's Brigade, Johnson's Division, McCook's Corps. September 20, 1863. Captain Peter Simonson, Commanding 1st Lieutenant Alfred Morrison. . . . — Map (db m100959) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-736 — 5th Indiana Battery — 3rd Brigade - Baldwin. — 2nd Division - Johnson
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: 5th Indiana Battery 3rd Brigade - Baldwin 2nd Division - Johnson 20th Corps - McCook Text on the Back Side of the Monument: Indiana's Tribute To Her . . . — Map (db m100960) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-770 — 6th Indiana Infantry — 3rd Brigade - Baldwin. — 2nd Division - Johnson
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: 6th Regiment Indiana Infantry 3rd Brigade - Baldwin 2nd Division - Johnson 20th Corps - McCook Text on the Back Side of the Monument: Indiana's Tribute . . . — Map (db m100989) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1049 — 79th Pennsylvania Infantry — 2nd Brigade — 1st Division
Text on the Front Side of the Monument:
79th Regiment Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteer Infantry 2nd. Brigade, 1st. Division, 14th. Corps. Colonel Henry A. Hambright Commanding Text on the Right Side . . . — Map (db m100909) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-710 — 89th Illinois Infantry — Willich's Brigade
Illinois 89th Infantry. Willich's Brigade. 9 a.m. September 20, 1863. — Map (db m101014) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1023 — 93rd Ohio Infantry — Baldwin's Brigade
93d Regiment Ohio Infantry, Baldwin's Brigade. 10:00 P. M. September 19, to 5:30 P.M. September 20, 1863. Map (db m100930) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-540 — Baldwin's Brigade — Johnson's Division — McCook's Corps
Baldwin's Brigade Johnson's Division - McCook's Corps. Colonel William W. Berry. September 20, 1863 - 1st Position. 6th Indiana - Lieutenant Colonel Hagerman Tripp. 6th Indiana - Major Calvin D. . . . — Map (db m100931) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-657 — Bridges' Illinois Battery — 2nd Division - Negley — 14th Army Corps - Thomas
Text on Front Side of Monument: Illinois Bridges' Battery, Light Artillery. 2nd Division - Negley. 14th Army Corps - Thomas. Text on Back Side of Monument: Commanded by Captain Lyman . . . — Map (db m101034) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-656 — Bridges' Illinois Battery — Beatty's Brigade — Negley's Division
Bridges' Battery, Illinois Light Artillery. 2 Napoleons, 4 3" Rifles. Beatty's Brigade, Negley's Division, Thomas' Corps. September 20, 1863. Captain Lyman Bridges, Commanding. 1st Lieutenant William . . . — Map (db m101047) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1164 — Helm's Brigade — Breckinridge's Division. — Hill's Corps.
Text on the First Tablet: Helm's Brigade. Breckinridge's Division, Hill's Corps. Colonel Joseph H. Lewis. September 20, 1863, 10 a.m. 41st Alabama, - Colonel Martin L. Stansel. 2nd Kentucky, - Lieutenant . . . — Map (db m101046) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-507 — Johnson's Division — McCook's Corps — Brigadier General Richard W. Johnson
Johnson's Division - McCook's Corps. Brigadier General Richard W. Johnson September 20th, 1863, until 6 p.m. 1st Brigade - Brigadier General August Willich. 2d Brigade - Colonel Joseph B. Dodge. 3d Brigade - Colonel . . . — Map (db m100934) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — Gertrude "Ma" Rainey — 1886 – 1939 — "Empress of the Blues"
. . . — Map (db m101400) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — Horace King (1807 - 1887)
Born a slave in South Carolina, Horace King moved to this region with his master, John Godwin, who secured the contract for the first bridge across the river. King supervised the building of this span in 1833. Freed in 1846, King . . . — Map (db m101401) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — Kirven's Department Store
In 1886, J. Albert Kirven and his brother Richard moved their growing department store from No. 90 Broad to this location at 1136 Broadway. With $500 of his own savings and a $2500 loan from his sister, J. Albert Kirven purchased the bankrupted Acee . . . — Map (db m101413) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — Thomas Greene Bethune — "Blind Tom" — 1849 – 1908
Columbus, Georgia was the home of one of America's distinguished black pianists and composers. A Landmark of American Music Map (db m101399) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Irish Railroad Workers Shrine
Shrine Left Panel The successive failures of the potato crops in the 1840’s, the inability or willingness of the British Parliament to respond to the ensuing famine, forced evictions of the peasants from their homeland by British landlords, . . . — Map (db m101384) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Car That Carried Ike on His Last Trip — C&O Baggage-Express Car No. 314 built by Pullman Car and Mfg. Co., 1929
On the evening of March 31, 1969, America’s last Presidential funeral train-that of Dwight D. Eisenhower-rolled sadly out of Washington on its way to Abilene, Kansas. Its ten-car consist was undecorated in any way, and near its front, the body of . . . — Map (db m101405) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — Benjamin Franklin — 1706 - 1790
Printer, Scientist, Philanthropist, Diplomat and Statesman A Man of Towering Eminence As Publisher of Poor Richard's Almanac he provided America in its upbuilding with a practical Philosophy and enriched its common speech with a wealth of . . . — Map (db m101423) HM
Minnesota (Big Stone County), Ortonville — Geology of Minnesota — Ortonville Region
Of all the geological agents which have played a part in shaping the face of Minnesota, the most overwhelming and powerful one is glacial ice. At least four times during the last million years, continental glaciers have spread over the state . . . — Map (db m101379) HM
Minnesota (Big Stone County), Ortonville — Paul Bunyan's Boat-Anchor
Legend has it that Paul Bunyan was mighty in the sport of fishing as in all else. He picked Minnesota for most of his fishing and is credited with creating more than a few of its ten thousand lakes. Big Stone Lake, visible here to the . . . — Map (db m101378) HM
Minnesota (Watonwan County), La Salle — Site of Capture of the Younger Brothers
On the morning of September 21, 1876, sixteen days after the Northfield bank robbery, the Younger brothers and Charley Pitts stopped at the Sorbel farm home on the north shore of Linden Lake in Brown County. They asked for food and received it, but . . . — Map (db m101362) HM
Nebraska (Cedar County), Crofton — 167 — Historic Missouri Valley
During their exploration of the Missouri and Columbia Rivers, Lewis and Clark held councils with Ponca, Omaha, and Sioux Indians inhabiting this region. The council with the Sioux occurred August 28-31, 1804 at Calumet Bluff now the southern . . . — Map (db m101395) HM
Nebraska (Cedar County), Crofton — Meeting the Yankton Sioux
On August 27, 1804, the Lewis and Clark Expedition set up its camp for four days downstream from Calumet Bluff. The explorers came across three American Indian boys who told them of a large Yankton Sioux camp nearby. Knowing that President . . . — Map (db m101392) HM
Nebraska (Cedar County), Crofton — Meridian Highway
You are within sight and sound of a Midwestern dream come true - the Meridian Highway. In 1911 a group of Kansans and Nebraskans drafted a plan for a highway paralleling the sixth principal meridian through America's heartland from Canada . . . — Map (db m101393) HM
Nebraska (Cedar County), Crofton — 168 — Scenic Missouri Valley
This scenic overlook provides a clear view of the valley of the Missouri River, the longest waterway in North America. To the west is the Gavins Point Dam and the Lewis and Clark Recreation Area. The dam was built to harness the fury of the . . . — Map (db m101391) HM
Nebraska (Cedar County), Crofton — The Great Missouri River
The Missouri, the continent's longest river, figures prominently in the unfolding of America's saga. Flowing nearby in its 2,341 - mile course from the Rocky Mountains to the Mississippi, the Big Muddy is not only loaded with sediment but . . . — Map (db m101394) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Flemington — Hunterdon County Holocaust Memorial
געדענק (Yiddish: Remember) Remember the 6,000,000 who perished during the Nazi Holocaust 1934-1945 לא תשכח (Hebrew: Do not forget) Bergen-Belsen Buchenwald . . . — Map (db m101358) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Charleston — Burton House
This 1834 Side Hall Federal Style House Was The Home of Judah and Susan Burton The Child of Judah and Eunice Burton For Whom The Hamlet of Burtonville Was Named — Map (db m101396) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Old Town — D-48 — Charles Town
Center of a colony from Barbados led by John Vassall, 1664. Abandoned by 1667. Was located 2 miles east on Town Creek. — Map (db m101439) HM
Ohio (Madison County), London — The Molly Caren Agricultural Center — The Farm Science Review Site — Ohio State University
The Molly Caren Agricultural Center was originally a Virginia Military Land Grant of 7,000 acres conveyed by President Thomas Jefferson. It became Gwynne property in 1813, passing successively from Thomas and David Gwynne to Eli, Baldwin, . . . — Map (db m101416) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), West Carrollton — 17-57 — The Wright Seaplane Base / Wright Model G "Aeroboat"
The Wright Seaplane Base After Wilbur Wright died in 1912, Orville Wright continued to develop and fly airplanes for the Wright Company. Orville flew seaplanes along this part of the Great Miami River from 1913 to 1914. This area had three . . . — Map (db m101424) HM
South Dakota (Brule County), Chamberlain — Lewis and Clark Bicentennial 1804-2004
This Corps of Discovery II marker commemorates the bicentennial of the Lewis and Clark expedition. The geographic position of this marker has been established using the satellite-based Global Positioning System. This marker is part of the . . . — Map (db m101382) HM
South Dakota (Brule County), Chamberlain — Missouri River Bridges of South Dakota — National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark
Completed 1927 Commemorated 1995 — Map (db m101386) HM
South Dakota (Brule County), Chamberlain — Purple Heart Memorial Highway
On May 24, 2012, the South Dakota DOT Transportation Commission officially declared Interstate 90 from the Minnesota border to the Wyoming border as South Dakota's segment of the national Purple Heart Trail. The Purple Heart Trail was . . . — Map (db m101380) WM
South Dakota (Lyman County), Oacoma — American Island — This was until 1953
On Sept. 17, 1804, Lewis and Clark camped on the west bank below the Island and passing it on the 18th said: "Passed an Island about the middle of the river at 1 mile this island is about a mile long and has a great proportion of Red cedar on . . . — Map (db m101383) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — Fallen Military Heroes of Bearden High — A Tribute To Our Vietnam Dead
GM2 (Seal) Carter M. Dean • CPL. James D. Travis • LT Charles H. Pilkington • Sgt. George E. Clark, Jr. • LT Frederick M. Rader III • SP-4 George E. Clark, Jr. • SGT. William B. Bishop II • CWO2 Stephen M. Hiscock • 2ND LT William H. . . . — Map (db m101375) WM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — Pearl Harbor Memorial
Dedicated in memory to all those personnel of the United States Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy who gave their lives, December 7, 1941. Keep America Alert! — Map (db m101368) WM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Colonel George Ruhlen — Constructing Quartermaster
In honor of George Ruhlen, Constructing Quartermaster In early 1891 Colonel George Ruhlen, QMC, then Captain, was appointed by the Secretary of War to be in charge of constructing the first buildings on Ft. Bliss at its present site on La Noria . . . — Map (db m101373) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Joshua Micah Mills — November 1, 1984 – September 16, 2009
A boy … A dream             A man … A goal Achieve … at last. “Silver Wings Upon His Chest” Staff Sergeant Joshua Micah Mills was born November 1, 1984 at William Beaumont Army Medical Center, Ft. Bliss, TX to a career . . . — Map (db m101372) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Quarters 236 Sheridan
These quarters served as temporary housing for Lieutenant George S. Patton, Jr. in 1915 when he arrived to join the 8th Cavalry Regiment. Patton lived here a short time with two other officers; one of whom employed a cook. Patton then deployed to . . . — Map (db m101371) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — Penn and Nellie Wooldridge House
In 1913, Nellie Wylie Holden (1863-1944) built a home here. Tradition holds that her children helped noted architect Hugo F. Kuehne design the Georgian Revival house. Holden, an Austin philanthropist, worked in many civic and charitable . . . — Map (db m101377) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Varina — The Frayser Family
You are located on a tract of land formerly owned by the Frayser family. This was the home of Jesse Frayser (1764-1827) and his wife Keziah Frayser (1761-1854). Jesse Frayser was a private in the Virginia Militia under the command of General Gates . . . — Map (db m101376) HM

85 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement